Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodgers Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're Gay running back to.
Speaker 1: Get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 4: Last day, we are live at Target Field after the Dodgers hit two home runs to beat the Twins tonight by a final score of.
Speaker 3: Two to one.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until eight thirty tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We will hear from Eric Lauer, we will hear from Kyle Tucker, and we will here from Dave Roberts as far as his thoughts on Tucker's first half struggles. Because we are getting closer to the midway point of the season and that will happen later this week. But the Dodgers, with the win two to one, beating the Twins win their fiftieth game of the year.
Speaker 3: They're the first.
Speaker 2: Team in Major League Baseball this year to reach fifty wins, and this is the fastest the Dodgers have reached the fifty win plateau since twenty twenty two. They won fifty games in twenty twenty two, faster than they reached it here, and that season in twenty twenty two, the Dodgers won one hundred and eleven games. That's right, one hundred and eleven and fifty one in twenty twenty two. So we'll see if the Dodgers, well, it looks like the Dodgers are going to win one hundred games. And if you remember the last two back to back championships in the regular season, the Dodgers did not win one hundred games in the last two years, so they are navigating a weaker NL West than expected. The Padres are not as good and not hitting like many thought they would at the very least, and the Arizona Diamondbacks are certainly a step down from the Dodgers. And with the win tonight, speaking of all that, the Dodgers the first team to get to fifty wins. The Padres are just two games above five hundred, they're nine and a half games back of the Dodgers, and Arizona's five hundred they're ten and a half games back of the Dodgers. So with all that mixed into it, the Dodgers are head and shoulders above the rest of the division. They just got to continue to maintain and certainly not allow their intensity to drop, because we have seen that in years past where the Dodgers kind of let their guard down, make it a tighter division race than it should be, and even sometimes not playing their best baseball when they go into September and into October. So Dave Roberts has been through that, a lot of the same players on this team have been through that. They understand what it takes to get ready for October. But let's just enjoy fifty wins first team to get there. The Dodgers should enjoy being nine and a half games ahead of the San Diego Padres, and they will head to San Diego after the final game of this series. Day off Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. A big weekend series in San Diego. And the reason why I say it's a big weekend series in San Diego. It's not a big series for the Dodgers. It's a big series for the Padres to try to stay alive in the division before the All Star break, and it seems like it's a big weekend for you. I don't know how many people have texted me or dm me on Instagram. Hey, I'm gonna be in San Diego. Hey, I'm gonna be in San Diego. Hey great, I'll be in San Diego too. Enjoy the games eight six six, not eight seven to two five seventy. So the Dodgers this tonight decided to go with an opener. Nobody was expecting that. And when we saw the lineup, we saw Will Klein as the opener, and you start to think through why the Dodgers wanted a right handed opener tonight, like Will Klein, and you look at the Twins lineup and the most dangerous hitter in their lineups hitting third and Byron Buxton, who the Dodgers obviously did not want Eric Lowerd to face more than twice tonight, and he didn't face him more than twice, and he kept him in the ballpark.
Speaker 3: Will kleinb though, didn't.
Speaker 2: Keep Buxton in the ballpark Buxton hit a home run to left field in the first inning to tie the games. So, you know, a lot of times the process, the plans, they may be the right decision, but sometimes don't work out the way you thought they would. And that's what tonight would fall into as far as that category goes. But give Eric Lower a lot of credit. Who's been pitching really well. He had an opener tonight and he is on the record as saying he doesn't love an opener.
Speaker 3: What starting pitcher would love an opener.
Speaker 2: He went out there and pitched six no hit innings, walk three, did not give up a single run in a close game. It was a tied game until the sixth inning when Freddie Freeman hit that home run.
Speaker 3: So say what you will.
Speaker 2: About Eric Lower, this guy has been really good for the Dodgers and has been giving them innings. Not only good, but he's been giving them innings, which is big considering Emid Shehan has not been able to pitch.
Speaker 3: That well this year.
Speaker 2: So Eric Lwer certainly has been a great pickup by Andrew Freeman and the Dodgers. Let's hear from the Dodger left and winning pitcher tonight on sports Net la.
Speaker 5: A lot better. Uh, the first one that got me a little bit, so definitely wanted to make sure I had better command of the zone and you know, control of my stuff. And luckily enough I was able to you know, get some.
Speaker 6: Early outs and some quick outs.
Speaker 5: So it's worked out.
Speaker 1: How much do you attribute to not being just the work that you've put in, the findings you've had since coming over to this organization.
Speaker 5: I think it plays a huge role. I think that's you know, kind of exactly what I want to see, especially on days like today where I you know, I don't feel like I have my best stuff or my best velo. I'm still able to command the zone and you know, execute pitches as well, So you know, putting a lot of emphasis on the defense today was a huge part. And you know it's something that you know, we definitely can do because you know, we have a defense that's that good. So yeah, definitely definitely felt a lot better about today as far as you know, command and control of the zone. It should go.
Speaker 2: Dave and the staff just leading to this note's preparing for following an opener.
Speaker 5: Today, What was the beginning of that?
Speaker 2: How did the communication Chicai go and like, how much did it help me to have heads up this was going coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they doctor you know, told me pretty early on like they were thinking about it. We had a nice conversation about it. He explained his thoughts on it. I explained my thoughts on it, and we kind of, you know, had a nice come together of you know, this is the plan, this is what we see, and we're not going to deviate from it. So I think that's huge, especially in this kind of situation where you know there can some unknowns can creep in throughout the game, especially if you know at first inning goes a little sideways or something. So you know, being upfront and knowing what the plan is no matter what is is really big.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 2: There's Eric Lower on sports in at LA, and that's something that Dave Roberts said that Lower wanted as far as clarity goes, and to a certain extent didn't get that with the Blue Jays when they try to use an opener for him earlier this season. So a great job by Eric Lower, a great job by the Dodgers to stick to their plan and communicate. And that's one thing Lower has told me what separates the Dodgers, from the training room to the food room, to the dugout to the bullpen. Everybody is on the same page as far as the game plan goes. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Now, the Dodgers won the game on two home runs. When they homer twice in a game, they're twenty four and four. And you know, Dave Roberts could talk about plan and approach and yes, that is huge, but the reality of the identity of this Dodger team going back the last five, six, seven years, is a slugging team. They homer, they win, and the records exemplify that. When the Dodgers don't homer this year, they've only won seven times. When they do homer, even just once or twice in a game, they're twenty three and four, twenty four and four.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: So you know, we talk about football teams when you get to week six, week seven, they have an identity. We're halfway through the year. Here's the Dodgers' identity on offense. They pass the baton, they don't chase out of the zone when they're going good, and they homer.
Speaker 3: They are the.
Speaker 2: Best defensive team in baseball and they relying on pitching in defense and home runs. That's their identity. Think back to Game seven of the World Series. The little things won the game for the Dodgers. Defense won the game for the Dodgers. Pitching won the game for the Dodgers. And oh, by the way, they scored their runs with home runs Max Munsey, Miguel Rojas, and Will Smith. So you could say all you want, the reality is when the Dodgers homer, they have a good chance of winning. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello, the mark of a fighter. The Dodgers won, but they lost two starters, Dalton Rushing, and that's a big one. Hopefully he's not out for too long because Will Smith is not coming on this road trip anytime soon, and Dalton Rushing is their starting catcher. Chucky Robinson had to come into this game to start the bottom of the third inning after Rushing couldn't go anymore, taking a foul ball on the very first pitch, foul back by Trevor Larnock, a ninety eight fastball from Will Klimb, off the mask, off the bat, and off the mask of Dalton Rushing. So fingers crossed. Rushing doesn't miss more than a game or two. But there's a very good chance you'll see Chucky Robinson in there tomorrow. And here's another little caveat to all that. Before the game, a couple of players were telling me there's thunderstorms in the area and they've heard rain, rain delay, maybe even possibly you know, a rain that would affect the game being played tomorrow, But the weather changes so quickly here. If the Dodgers don't play tomorrow, I don't think it would be the worst thing.
Speaker 3: It might actually help them.
Speaker 2: With Dalton Rushing going through concussion protocols and Kyle Tucker leaving with backspasms, a double aheader on Wednesday wouldn't be the worst thing with the day off on Thursday. Speaking of Kyle Tucker, let's hear from the Dodger right fielder who left the game in the second inning with backspasms.
Speaker 6: I mean, I really felt it like we went out for defense and disteen innings in the first back just like lit up and went out there and just tried to hope that may kind of calmed down or go away or something, just keep playing through it. So went through the bottom of the first like that and then through that, you know, top of the second went through that bad and kind of on the basis and stuff, and like Kyle was just still sticking around, still kind of there. So doctor just went ahead and put ac in and got me out of there.
Speaker 1: Is this something that you have felt before or experienced before, and if so, is there a concern level with this?
Speaker 6: I had it once, like a couple of years ago. It was just like the one time it didn't like the initial like when I'm back locked up kind of felt like that. So I kind of knew what it was, but it wasn't like to the extent that it was that I had before. So hopefully that's good. You just got to kind of see how it goes tomorrow before.
Speaker 2: Like how long were you down where you can line.
Speaker 6: Up next day?
Speaker 3: Like what what.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know if it's to go the exact same. I mean the next day. I came back the next day and or the last time. The next day I came back pretty good. I think I was in there the next series, but they didn't feel like how it did last time. It was a little bit, which is good. I mean last time it was lighting up like every couple of seconds or minutes or whatever. But here was just like that one time it let my hold back and then after that kind of calmed down. But it's just like super sore and like smaller kind of out of kind of fault.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Kyle Tucker about what he was feeling in his back tonight when he was taken out of the game. Dave Roberts said earlier that he fell to right before the game when he was going out to right field, and Dave Roberts never even went out to second base. He saw Tucker squatting once he got there after Tommy Edmond hit a single to advance him, and he just said get out of the game. And obviously Dave was aware that he was dealing with some backspasms right before taking the field tonight. And when we continue on Dodger Talk, we'll take your phone calls at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. But we're at the halfway point and Kyle Tucker is having his worst season statistically in his major league career, and he's not passing the eye test either. So we asked Dave Roberts what he's seeing and whether or not. He knows what makes Tucker tick. So we'll get into that and we'll take your phone calls at eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. After the Dodgers beat the Twins on two solo home runs, Otani and Freeman beat out Buxton in the Twins two to one on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vase.
Speaker 3: Like, I have the feeling something's got to give here pretty soon for the Dodger offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have the feeling it's gonna be a loud sound sometime soon.
Speaker 1: Freeman swings hits a high drive center field.
Speaker 3: Buxton looking up and this ball.
Speaker 2: Is gone A hold run right on, que Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 3: I rest my case. How did Rick Monday know? How did he know?
Speaker 2: Guys been around baseball a long time, That's how. Freddie Freeman a go ahead solo home run to lead off the sixth inn and gave the Dodgers a two to one lead off of Zebi Matthews, and that would be the final score as Otani let off the game with a home run, Freddie hits a leadoff home run in the sixth inning, and the Dodgers out Homer Buxton in the twins two to one. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card visit and five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. By the way, O'tani's leadoff home run tonight was the sixth of the season, thirtieth of his career, twenty fourth leadoff home run as a Dodger. That's the second most in Dodger history to Mookie Betts and Davey Lopes. So O'tani continuing to getting close to rewriting the Dodger record books, that's for sure. Now, before we get to Kyle Tucker and Dave Roberts and diving into all of that, It's always fun when somebody calls Dodger Talk, who was at the game on the road and Bob was out here at Target Field.
Speaker 3: Hi, Bob, you're on Dodger talk.
Speaker 7: How you doing, Hey, David, Great to talk to you again.
Speaker 6: It's been a while.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I was actually at the game at Dodgers Stadium yesterday, which was pretty rough, and then my wife and I hopped on the plane and came back to Minneapolis where we live three or four blocks from the stadium, and really highlights from tonight, Yeah, yep, yep, I can see it out my window and at the highlights and night just great, having the boys in town, seeing Shoe and freddie go Long, seeing all the Dodger fans. They literally took the stadium over. And then the last highlight was meeting four women who came in from the southern California and one of whom has been following the Dodgers around at different stadiums and she's been to twenty two different stadiums going to Dodger games as well, so it was pretty cool to meet her.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's great when you start to meet fellow Dodger fans in different cities. So, how many Dodger road games have you been to? How many ballparks have you chicked off the list?
Speaker 7: I've been to all but two, but not following the Dodgers, So I still have two more stadiums to get to, but too then we went to Toronto, which too need to get to Miami and they need to get to the new Rangers when I went to the old one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, all right? And what okay, since you came out here to Minnesota, you've been to twenty eight of the thirty stadiums. What's the scatting report you could give Dodger fans about coming to Target Field?
Speaker 7: You know, it's a great place to see the game. Unfortunately they're not doing so well since the crowds are pretty low. This is probably the biggest crowd of the night. But yeah, it's a great place to see the game.
Speaker 3: And what about we don't.
Speaker 2: Care about that. You know what we care about We care about food, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, we hit. We got some Indian food tonight, which I was so surprisingly good, and.
Speaker 2: Indian food at the ballpark, Indian food inside the stadium.
Speaker 7: Got some chicken tika masala and rice. Yeah, it was really good.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I gotta try that tomorrow. What sections that in.
Speaker 7: It's kind of behind the Dodgers dugout and then that first concourse up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so wow, that's the first I've never heard Indian food sold at a stadium before. But then again, the Dodgers are selling a lot of unique Asian food.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 7: So well, listen, let's hope it. We're going to again tomorrow night, so let's hope they get this game in. Otherwise we'll be there on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks a lot for the phone call, Bob, appreciate a great scan report on target field Indian food. Huh, that was not what I was expecting. Eight sixty six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Twinston two to one, and yeah, there is rain in the forecast tomorrow night, so we'll see whether or not the powers that be believe that they can play some semblance of a game tomorrow. If not, there'll be a doubleheader on Wednesday at day night doubleheader with the Dodgers having a day off on Thursday. And like I said, it might not be the worst thing, considering how thin they're getting behind the plate with catchers, and that Tucker has backspasms. And before we get to Tucker, I really need to say this. Everybody is so focused on Tarrek's Schooble, And yes, Trek's Scooble would be a difference making picture for the Dodgers or any other playoff contender, don't get me wrong. But and we'll get into this maybe tomorrow night, there are other pictures that could be available at the trade deadline that could be difference makers for the Dodgers, not named Tarrek Scooble. But aside from that, how about the Dodgers making a trade for a third catcher. The Dodgers are down to Chucky Robinson. Now, last year they had to go out and find Ben Rohtvit, who, by the way, is catching for Triple A Syracuse, an affiliate the Triple A team for the Mets. So since the Mets are going nowhere, maybe Ben Rohortfitt is available again for trade. But you know Will Smith getting hurt and now Dalton Rushing taking a foul ball off the mask, you're down to Chucky Robinson and who else if Dalton Rushing were to have any sort of lingering effects of a concussion. So, yes, Trek Scooble would be amazing any other starting pitcher, and I do believe the Dodgers need one more starting pitcher. Aside from that, how about a third catcher, you know, that can handle a championship quality team in case something like this happens with Rushing going down and Will Smith being on the IL. Now, the way Dave Roberts was talking, it doesn't seem like Will Smith is going.
Speaker 3: To be on the IL for much longer.
Speaker 2: And look, who knows, maybe Will Smith rejoins the Dodgers when they get back to the West Coast in San Diego or Sacramento. But yeah, this is not ideal a capable and I'm not trying to knock Chucky Robinson. Chucky Robinson's doing as good of a job as he can. But it feels like the Dodgers may be in the market for another catcher because they've done such a great job of having that third catcher ready to go at Oklahoma City. It just as it seems like there's a greater drop off right now than there has been in recent years. Eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. I really want to dive into this Kyle Tucker thing, but we're running out of time, so it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But certainly I'll just say this to end the show.
Speaker 2: H Kyle Tucker having back spasms, It wouldn't be such a bad idea if he took his time and to be able to reset. Remember I've said this a few different times now. I don't believe Kyle Tucker is going to be able to reset his season before the All Star Break. I feel like that's gonna take place the second half of the year. And I really do believe he needs that mentally and maybe just some time to reset whatever he's working on with his stride, because I know what Nomar Garcia Para broke down on sports and at LA a couple of weeks ago, is what Aaron Bates and the Dodgers' hitting coaches are working with Kyle Tucker with, as far as you know, shortening his stride because when he shortness stride in past years, he was an effective hitter.
Speaker 3: And I'll say this.
Speaker 2: And I'll just I'll have the last word on Tucker for tonight on this. For those of you that believe he doesn't care, you're completely wrong. He does care, and right now his confidence is at an all time low. There's no doubt about that. But after the game yesterday he went straight to the hitting cage because I was waiting for him at his locker and I was told he was in the hitting cage after the game before the team got on the bus to leave for the airport. So the perception that he doesn't care, or if you believe he doesn't care, you're completely wrong. He does care, And I think tomorrow night, we're gonna just have to, you know, make sure you understand what your expectation should be for Kyle Tucker, because if you look at his career stats, he's only hit thirty home runs in a season twice. If you're thinking he's hitting forty forty five home runs or that's what he should have done this year, you're wrong because that's not who he's been his entire career. So we'll get into that tomorrow night. And coming up tomorrow, Justin Robleski's on the mound for the Dodgers. He's eight and two with an ERA of two seventy two, making a strong case for himself to be included in the conversation to be part of the National League All Star team in Philadelphia. And if he wins again tomorrow and he pitches the way he has, I don't know how you leave this guy off the All Star team. He's going up against one of the best American League pitchers and Joe Ryan, who definitely has had his name talked about in trade rumors. Ryan this year is five and three with an ERA of two ninety nine. Our coverage begins tomorrow at three point thirty with first pitch from target Field at four forty with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for us tonight.
Speaker 2: Thanks to calling you back at our Burbank Studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at target Field, and thanks to you for listening. And also thanks to all the Dodger fans that showed up and showed out at Downy Hunday on Saturday for three time World Series winning manager Dave Roberts.
Speaker 3: It was a great time out there.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Sam and all the family at Downy Hunday. You made it special and go down to Downey Hunday watch the World Cup games, hang out and maybe even think about kicking the tires on a Downy Hundai.
Speaker 3: I'm driving an Ionic nine. It's changed my life.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable and it saved me a ton of money on gas.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 2: To everybody at Downy Hunday and head out there seventy five to fifty Firestone Boulevard. Just hang out, watch the soccer, watch Messi at Downy Hundai once again. The final score tonight from Minnesota, the Dodgers beat the Twins two to one.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers fastest team to fifty wins this season in baseball.
Speaker 3: Fox Sports Radio is next. See ya. The Cults