Speaker 1: You want to be an American.
Speaker 2: Right back on the Big One, seven hundred WLW nine nine. Dan Carroll in for Scott Sloan Sloaney enjoying the day off today. Glad to be here for Sloany. So much stuff is going on. We're all paying higher gasoline prices right now. My buddy Daniel Turner from Power the Future is going to be here to address that in the ten o'clock hour, So if you want to get the straight scoop on why we're seeing gasoline prices the way we are. Obviously, the conflict in the in the Middle East is right to call it a Is it a conflict? Is it a war? Operation? Epic fury? We're gonna have to figure that out. I guess we are at war? How long is this going to last? Of course, we're all paying higher electricity prices as well, so we'll talk to Daniel Turner about that. But we start off this morning with my buddy who is the opinion editor at the Cincinnati Inquirer, and that is Kevin Aldrich. And Kevin Aldrich great to have you back on the show this morning.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Hey, I'm doing great, Dan, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Is it just me, or does it seem like we have been in not only on a national level, but on a local level, that we have been in just a really extraordinary news cycle as of late.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I always say I've been at this for a while now, Dan, and it's like you think you've seen everything, and a lot of times news gets recycled, and I just say, it never ceases to amaze me that, no matter everything I've seen in nearly thirty years of doing this, there's always new stuff that comes up that just leaves you with your mouth open.
Speaker 4: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I get up this morning and I go to the Cincinnati Inquirer Cincinnati dot com Inquirer or website, and I see a piece written by your colleagues Cameron Knight, Gillian Strawinsky, and Matthew Copelli, and it's the headline is safety lapses, unkept promises on Cincinnati block where nine kids were shot. And this is John Street as Charles Lynn Street, the Laura Playground right there in the West End. And it's a lengthy piece and really gets into what a lot of people in that area are feeling. And they're looking at city Hall and they're saying, look, we've been promised things, and it really points out just how unresponsive in the general sense. I guess there's been a couple of things that have been done, but in a general sense, it really seems like the city Hall has been unresponsive to the serious needs and the serious things that are going on in that part of town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think, and I think it's not just probably that neighborhood. I think there are a lot of neighborhoods in the City of Cincinnati that sort of feel like city Council is not necessarily as responsive as they would like for them to be, or as intentional towards some neighborhoods as they would like to be, and feel like there are certain neighborhoods in the city, whether you're talking about downtown or other particular neighborhoods that dominate city Council's attention at the expense of other neighborhoods that has suffered disinvestment, crime problems, and things of that nature. And I think that, you know, that's one of the challenges that this council and past councils have kind of continued to struggle with, is listening to folks. I mean, you know, the folks out in Hyde Park, even one of the more affluent communities, sort of found out last year how difficult it is sometimes to get your voice heard down down at city Hall, particularly when they had their designs on other things.
Speaker 2: And so I look at this piece, and then I look at what the Vice Mayor is proposing, and this issue of reparations for housing discrimination. And obviously I think there were some serious discrimination issues that plagued Cincinnati in the past. But when and she talks about fifteen different neighborhoods, fifteen rising neighborhoods that would be eligible for this financial assistance, and I look at and then I look at the piece this morning, and I'm saying, how do these two things square with each other? Because it seems to me, Kevin Aldridge, it's a lot more than just about putting some money into a particular neighborhood that is really going to make any meaningful change for the people who live there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Dan, I kind of slightly disagree with that because I think, you know, one of the things that has been proven time and again when it comes to crime related issues is sort of like the broken glass theory. You know that we're all familiar with that when the neighborhoods that have a lot of disinvestment, where you don't have a lot of quality housing, you have a lot of you know, no thriving business center and things of that nature, where you have just sort of like a lot of low income that that breeds a lot of crime and situations like that there. So I think that what someone city council and rightfully have identified is that neighborhood that have not seen investment, whether that's in infrastructure or where you have high high levels of home ownership, you know, in communities, that is where you see a lot of a lot of crime issues at in the city. So I don't think the two things are unrelated. That I think that there probably needs to be a little bit more investment in neighborhoods and bringing those neighborhoods up to a standard where people have opportunities, or they have things that they can be proud of, or they have ownership in that community in terms of home so that properties are taken care of and the area is beautified and it's not allowed to run down, to be run down where it becomes a breeding ground for crime. I don't think those two things are unrelated. And I think there's some on city Council who see that these fifteen rising communities have been communities that have been neglected over the years, and they're looking for ways to maybe infuse some resources in those communities to kind of bring them back up and get them to a place where you know, crime is is, it's less of an inviting environment for crime and those sorts of things. So I don't think they're totally completely unrelated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just seems to me that it sort of boils down to the issue of where you have members of council or whoever would be in charge of deciding where this money goes. That you have a city, either city council or some government controlled entity that is going to be picking winners and losers. And I think there's a long history on a national and a local level that kind of points to that not really being the greatest of ideas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think you already have a situation where winners and losers are being pig Dan and I think that, you know, we again, it goes back to the opening point that we were talking about about, you know, folks in the in the West End sort of feeling like their voices aren't being heard at council. Look, let's just be honest that there are certain neighborhoods and certain constituencies in the City of Cincinnati whose voices are loud than others down at City Hall, and so winners and losers are already already being picked. It just so happens that most of these fifteen rising communities that they're trying to target are typically the communities whose voices never get heard. So I think you already have a scenario down at eight oh one Plumb Street where winners and losers are being picked all the time, and you just have the same folks who are winning all the time there at City Hall. And I think that's what a lot of folks are frustrated and set up with.
Speaker 2: There was a piece that was posted yesterday by I think probably one of the sharpest minds in and around Cincinnati that I've ever met, n'ts. Carl Kaden, lifelong Cincinnati and served in the Criminal Division in the United States Attorney's Office and worked here in city government locally city and county government. And he wrote a piece in the Inquiry about the city needs an agency to identify corruption at City Hall and He's talking about an independent agency that would have subpoena power, that could really dig deep and do investigations. And I look at that, and I look at what is and you and I. I don't think you and I have talked since the extension. The second extension came out into the investigation into the police chief Teresa Thigi, and so I look at that, and I wonder to myself, how long is this going to I think a lot of people are asking that, how long is the investigation and the Thigi going to drag on? Is this really a good look for Cincinnati to have our chief twisting in the wind for this amount of time? And it looks like this idea that Carl Kayden has might be a solution for.
Speaker 5: Something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know mister Caden's piece, which you know, which was an interesting piece, but not you know, completely unheard of. I mean that, you know, he's probably he's probably about the third or fourth person who I can think about who has suggested sort of like this office of an Inspector General at City Hall that would do these types of have this type of independent agency that would do these types of investigations of corruption down a City Hall. I think, you know, Todd Zenzer might have proposed something similar. Charlie Winburn I think maybe if maybe around the time of the Gang of Five made a similar suggestion. So I think there's a strong sense among some in Cincinnati that you need an independent sort of third party that's able to kind of take a you know, kind of take a look at at what's going on down there and doing some investigations of corruption or suspected corruption. And I don't know that that's necessarily a bad idea. I mean, and I think, you know, to to create an air of trust and transparency with the public, I think you need to have some mechanism that lets folks know and believe that that there are folks who are taking look taking a look at how things are handled and making sure that tax dollars aren't being abused, and that that there's uh not excessive or or really any waste, prouder, frauder abuse that's happening down there. So I think I think it would be uh, I think it would be a good idea, and I think a lot of people have have been calling for that. As far as the police chief is concerned. Yeah, I think it's it's been. It's been. I think it's been way too long for them to have made some type of determination on what her status is. And and I'm really struggling to understand, you know, what is the need for all of these extensions. I mean, what is she She's been out now, what since October November? So it's yeah, it's been. It's been quite a while now, and I think to you know, to continue to push this thing out. Uh again, it's it's just not a good look for the city because it just makes you wonder, Uh, you know, if if she had been doing such a such a terrible job, it seems like this would be, you know a bit of an open and shut case, right. But uh, but given the safe history and the fact that, you know, some recent hirings that they've had have resulted in some lawsuits that that have turned out favorably for the city, maybe they're just trying to make sure they've got every eye dotted and t cross. I don't know, but it but it certainly is not a certainly is not a great look for the City of Cincinnati to hear we are in March, you know, four or five months after the fact that we still don't have a resolution on our police chief status and and she still continues to get paid on the tax dollar dime. Yeah, raises a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a shame that a woman who has given the the length of service and I think the exemplary service that she has given to the city of Cincinnati for her to have this sort of be that. I don't know if this is going to be and I know she doesn't want to be have this be the last thing that she's remembered for, but it's just an absolute shame that that I think that it has come to this. Our old friend Alex Trantefilu posted this on his social media over the weekend, and he writes, finally some good news and relief for a city suffering from the scourge of crime. Federal charges have been brought against the two shooters at the Cincinnati night club over the weekend. For those unfamiliar with the justice system, the federal gun charge will bring a significantly longer prison sentence and real consequences. These two repeat violent offenders will assuredly be given sentences much longer than our local judges would have handed down. And he says thank you President Trump to in federal law enforcement for stepping in to help our failing justice system. So I look at this what Alex is saying, and then we had another stabbing in the in the West End, I guess over the weekend, and the idea that we need to have a federal backstop for local prosecutors, local judges are our local justice system that continually has a revolving door that lets criminals in and out of the system, sometimes in the matter of hours. And even though you you get involved in a shooting at a nightclub where nine people wind up getting shot, you're talking about you walk on five thousand dollars worth of bond uh to have the idea that we need a federal backstop for this to bring serious charges and bring down some serious punishment for individuals like this, Again, I don't think that's a good look for for Cincinnati or for Hamilton County.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree with that. I mean, you don't want to you don't want to have the sense that you have to count on the federal government to be as a as a backstop here. Look, I'll just say this, with the with the Riverfront Live shooting, I mean, there's no question that that the that the low bond that the judge gave in that situation probably triggered, uh, the Feds getting involved. I think if there had been a larger bond set in that situation, I don't think. I mean, I can't say this one hundred percent sure, but my suspicion is that the federal government probably wouldn't have been involved if if a higher bond had gotten set in that case. So I don't know. I mean, I'm not sure what the sentencing guidelines are at the federal level, So I don't necessarily know that it's fair to say that they would have gotten you know, large longer sentences at the federal level than they would have the or the ultimately that they will you know when they go through you know, the the the more local system here, Uh, that remain that remains to be seen if that would if that would happen. So I don't necessarily know if that's a if that's a completely fair assessment. But what I would say is, I do think the low bond in that situation, which I would say, was a mistake by that judge. And I think he's a fairly new judge, so you know, one might might chalk that up to perhaps a bit of a real mistake there. But yeah, I mean, we'll I guess we'll have to see in that situation and you know, the whole subject around bond, you know, I think that's a lot that's a very nuanced conversation that I think we don't often have, you know, whether that's you know, stories that are reported in the news, or when we have these conversations, you know, in formats like this. I think it's I think in many ways it's it's a little bit more complex than a lot of times that we make it. I mean, look, the judge indeed gave the guy a low bond, but I think the fact that you know, he remains in jail at this point sort of signifies to the fact that and I think these judges go through a process of where they look at, you know, hey, what is a person's financial means, what is their situation? Do they have the ability to you know, even make that amount of money? And I think the fact that the guy, at least in my knowledge, is still sitting in jail says that even at even at ten percent of fifty thousand dollars, he didn't have the means to get out of jail, and so if he if he's still in jail, these you'll get the same result. And how much are these these super high bonds a million two million dollar bond? Is it more for is it more for statement or show than the actual reality of keeping someone in jail or making sure that they show up for their core day. So that's what I mean by you know, somewhat of the nuanced conversation.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Kevin Aldridge, as always, men, when you're on the time flies right by, always appreciate the insight, always appreciate the conversation, and keep up the great work. And we will be talking again before too long. But for now we got to run. Kevin Aldridge, thank you very much for being here. All right, Thanks Dan, all right, Kevin aldridg from the Cincinnati Inquirer. Are always good to talk to him. Nine to twenty five, got to get to a break. Funline is going to be open next half hour five one three, seven four nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred the Big One. As we roll on till noon today. Dan Carroll in for Sloany on seven hundred WW seven hundred WLW nine nine Dan carrellin for scott'sloan. Well, chilly starts to the day today, going to warm up to seventy, so that's gonna be nice. And we a little I wasn't really expecting this, but our buddy Chris Smitheman has been able to join us for a segment here on the Big One. And Chris Smitheman, thanks for being here. How are you today?
Speaker 6: Hey, brother, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 6: I always appreciate coming on talking to you.
Speaker 2: I always appreciate you you being here. We heard on the news at the bottom of the hour there was another beatdown at the Brady Music Center overnight at the venue there. I saw the video that signaled ninety nine posted earlier this morning. Over the weekend, the FOP in Cincinnati posted this Chris Smithement. Courts have complained that officers don't give enough information to room ad judges to help them make informed decisions. CPS officers made an arrest of a guy named Brandon Hill, charged with violining protection order three times, listing arrests, failed to comply with an officer, aggravated robbery, trying to disarm an officer. Hill has a history of convictions domestic violence, felony, drug possession, trafficking drugs, burglary, and more. Officers appeared in room A, so Judge Mundy had a clear picture of this defendant's history and danger to the community. Monday asked if the defendant could make a five thousand dollars bond. The defendant said he could. The judge Monday gave fifty thousand dollars bond ten percent, and off this guy goes. So this is just a snapshot of the kind of things that happened in the court system. And now we have the specter of the and thank god we have a federal prosecutors who are and I was talking to Kevin Aldrich about this in the last segment, apparently backstopping now our local judicial system because they fail time and time and time again. But the notion that we have to run a lot on the Feds to get the job done here in Cincinnati and in Hamilton County, I don't think that's a good look. And I don't think that's a viable long term solution, do.
Speaker 6: You No, I don't. And you know the eleven people shot in the last week, you know, three people dead, you know in the city of Cincinnati, and you barely get a mention because people are are kind of like there's so much apathy around that level of violence. But you know, when you add the nine people shot last Sunday, you're talking twenty injuries to you know, twenty shootings and three did in a seven day, eight day period of time, that it almost feels like a war is going on in our city. And I think it's important Dan for me to highlight that these injuries. The only reason there are not more people did I want to seek try to speak playing to this is because we have a UC trauma team that is just remarkable, a Christ's Hospital trauma team. I mean, these people are putting citizens back together like they're in a war, like they're in a war zone. And under normal circumstances, some of these people that are shot would die too, they would have succumbed to their injuries. So my hats go off to our hospital teams, our emergency teams, our firefighters and police officers who are giving life aid to these victims before the fire department gets there and as they transport them over to er. Having said all of that, look the politicians aren't getting you know, the headlines that they want. So when you have the beatdown that occurred in downtown Cincinnati, all of the politicians were everywhere, Dan, they were on every press conference. You couldn't turn on your TV and not see them talking about you got to go out and arrest somebody white, demanding it right. And all of that was going.
Speaker 5: On, right.
Speaker 6: But when you have eleven people shot, three dead, all of them African American, you have other African Americans who are killing and doing the shooting, which is horrible. My heart goes out to all the victims. You don't hear from any member of council, you don't hear from the mayor, you don't hear from the administration, and it's because they just don't have a plan, Dan, to deal with this this violence. You and I know that the penicillin to this is police enforcement. And so when you have a culture at city Hall, please listen your listening audience. I don't care whether you're a Democrat, whether you're Republican or an independent. Dan, don't carr either. I'm speaking Ran. We want we're concerned about our safety as number one. Right, you would think that would be unifying, no matter what your political party or persuasion was right. So the end of you have a council that's anti cop or defund the police or reimagine the police. We don't want our sight police officers out there doing proactive policing. And that is one of the reasons you constantly see this increase, this pick up that you're seeing in our neighborhoods, in our fifty two neighborhoods of this kind of crime and this kind of violence.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think that's why we see, like as this post I just read, Now, here's a guy that's been arrested multiple times, been convicted multiple times, and he finds himself in front of a judge again. These two shooters who were involved in the shooting at Riverfront Live, they were arrested multiple times, both with felony convictions, both with weapons under disability, not supposed to be in possession of a firearm. And then we have a prosecutor who comes out and says, well, this is self defense for the one guy. The one guy would you know, pulled the trigger on the other guy, but the other guy was acting in self defense. I mean, how can we possibly have a prosecutor that is going to excuse the other crimes that were taking place that should not have taken place. And again, multiple felonies, multiple convictions, and yet I think there was a time when these people were not on the streets when they face serious consequences for committing crimes. But if we don't deliver serious consequences, then these are the results that we get. Like you've just been.
Speaker 6: Talking about, I agree, but let me also highlight something in a quick footnote. Black Americans, like white Americans in our country, but specifically in Cincinnati, are waking up every day going to their job. They're listening to us right now as they do their work. We are concerned about our babies, our children, our young adults who are trying to have a good time in our city, and we don't want them to be shot. They're the silent, super silent majority. The only thing that I have not been able to get my head wrapped around, and I'm hoping that this changes, is that we meaning me as a black American and speaking to black Americans, that we get to the point where we're not wedded to a party, so that we're not just wedded to the Democratic Party, no matter what they say, no matter what they do, no matter how they treat us. For example, the governor of California two weeks ago in Atlanta saying, hey, here's here's my SAT score. And by the way, I can read or I don't read well, in some way I'm going to connect with you. I'm not connecting you with you with your nine to sixty on your SAT. And I'm not connecting with you when you say that you have problems reading. Let me be clear with everybody. All of my children, all four of my boys, are all academic scholars, engineers, holding jobs, or they're working on a master's degree. And my daughter is a scholar at Setan. I have no idea what that man is talking about in Atlanta, and the people in his audience didn't know. That is what we call the identity politics that are dead. That's why Jesse Jackson Junior Dan Carroll said this week, why did these three presidents who didn't even know my father come to his funeral and give us political talk. It's not what they were supposed to do. It's not what I asked them to do. That's a new philosophy, he said, Republican, Democrat, independent, no matter who you are, this is Jesse Jackson Junior speaking at his father's services his memorial, He's saying, we are about the public policy, we are not about the party, and so we've got to separate as Black Americans from the party. So when you see eleven people shot, Dan Carroll and you don't find mayor Purevall anywhere, You cannot find any of the members of council with a search warrant, you can't find the administration anywhere to speak about the violence and say what is the plan? And the reason they don't want to do it. I'm gonna make it real clear is they don't want to send a message that they support cops. I don't know where these these blue dog democrats who don't exist anymore, who we used the Tom Lukens of the world, to Charlie Lukens of the world, the John Cranley's of the world, who said, hey man, I can support the police, I can make sure that we have a safe community. They want to basically coddle criminals. And that's what you're speaking about when you say you shot nine people and I'm going to give you a fifty thousand dollars bond and back on the street the next day. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I was. I watched some of that funeral of Jesse Jackson over the weekend, and I heard, I actually got I have the sound bite of Jesse Jackson's son saying, don't politicize this funeral, and that's exactly what Barack Obama did, and so did Kamala Harris for that matter. And then we have the specter of Joe Biden getting up there talking about how he's got this stuttering issue, and then he says, I'm a hell of a lot smarter than all of you, and I'm just just thinking, what, what?
Speaker 1: What kind of.
Speaker 2: Message is this?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: And look, Jesse Jackson, I was thinking. I almost voted for Jesse Jackson when he ran for president back in the eighties. And what he used to say all the time is let's do what Let's find common ground, Let's find common ground. But it seems that in our political discussions these days, we are as far away from that as we can possibly be. It seems like it's impossible to find common ground on just about any issue at all.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: And just remember, as we talk about Jesse Jackson to everyone listening, it's not about agreeing with everything about this man. But let's make sure we have a context. He was born in the nineteen thirties or the nineteen forties, early nineteen forties, and he came up in a period of time where he had to walk through the back door to get a sandwich, and he saw people like the president, whether it was Kennedy or you saw Martin Luther King or Maker Evers, Malcolm X, all these people that were being assassinated. That was the world that he lived in. And so I just want to state, yes, we're in a much better place today than we were in the nineteen sixties, but it's because of some of the work, and some of the work like people like Jesse Jackson and did. And so what the Son was saying here is why don't you come and speak to his great work right places where you found common ground with him, not using his services as a political launching point for your presidential run or for some position that you want to talk about to democrats. It's not who we are. And I was very appreciative of Jesse Jackson Junior highlighting that for the three presidents, and what he said was not any of the none of these presidents. Dan Carroll knew my father. I mean that was very powerful. He was sitting a message like, dude, all you all had to do here is come and just say eulogize him and appreciate the work that his work that he did. We didn't want you to come here and be political. Whether it was Biden, whether it was Kamala Eiris, or whether it was a President Barack Obama, none of them should have been doing any of that at his services. But getting back to your point, Dan Carroll, the violence that is happening in our core, we want to be honest here that these are predominantly Black Americans who are killing or shooting other Black Americans in the city of Cincinnati. You might go to another city and say it's a different violence between different cultures or different people, But in the city of Cincinnati, these are Black Americans who are shooting and hurting other Black Americans. We've got to be real about this, and we've got to have a mayor and a council and an administration that not just a mural on the outside of city Hall that says Black lives matter, but they have public policy that matches that they are concerned about that. That's not a streetcar, Dan Carroll, It's not spending five million dollars a year or five million dollars a month to operate a streetcar. Right their their mindset is around all of this other stuff that they're doing, and they really don't care. That's the frustration that we have. I think with the Democratic Party. Many a lot of people are telling me, right now, the Democratic Party has left me. I don't even know what this party represents. Right They're talking about I need men inside of locker rooms with women, which makes no sense. If you talk to Black Americans who vote, many of them would say that just doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't mean that they don't support the LGBTQ plus community. They're saying, why is my party pushing me in this direction that I have to agree with a dude swimming or playing football or playing soccer and at a high school level against my daughters. That just doesn't make any sense. And that's where the Democratic Party is pushing us. Here's the last point. I'll say. We've got to vote in May. We've got a primary, we got a November in Hamilton County. We need people to show up and participate and vote. We've got some judicial races, we have a gubernatorial race. I'm supporting the vet Ramaswami. I would like to see him be the next governor. I do not want to turn our state into Virginia. I don't want to wake up and we have a craziness that's coming out of Virginia. That's why that gubernatorial race is so important.
Speaker 2: All right, well, Chris Smithvan, we're going to have to leave it there. We could go on and on and on, but as always, I appreciate your insights and your thoughts on this sort of thing, and appreciate you taking the time to join us this morning. Keep up the great work and people want to follow you. If people want to follow you, where do they do that? I know you love to talk about that.
Speaker 6: Thank you on X at vote Smitherman please follow me there so you can keep up with me throughout the week.
Speaker 4: Thank you brother.
Speaker 2: All right, Chris Smithervan, thank you very much, and stay safe out there, man. I always appreciate Chris Smitherman. Way in in coming up after the news here at the top of the hour, my friend evangel and Duval of the Varner Foundation for Children and Families is going to be here and there is a lot going on as it relates to foster care, and every minute and a half another kid goes into foster care. And not only locally, but nationally as well. We have a lot of kids that they need help, and this administration, the Trump administration, is actually trying to do something thing about it. And how are things going here locally? Tim Tebow was on Capitol Hill last week talking about the just thousands of kids who are out there who are an abusive situations, and he's trying to get Congress to act to create a task force that is going to go out and rescue these kids. So we'll talk to Evangeline Deval after the news here at the top of the hour about that nine point fifty four. Dan Carroll for Scott's Slum on seven hundred WLW, Do.
Speaker 1: You want to be an American Idiot?
Speaker 2: Back on the Big One, seven hundred WLW ten O seven. Dan Carroll in for Scott Sloan today and last week I was watching and listening as Tim Tebow was testifying on Capitol Hill. I think second or third time he's been up there, and he's been just staying on top of Congress members of Congress to fight trafficking, child trafficking, child abuse, child rescuing children who have been caught up in just absolutely horrible situations. And so whenever I see stuff like that, I think of my friend Evangeline Duval and she is with the Varner Foundation for Children and Families, and Evangeline Deval. It is great to have you back on seven hundred WIW.
Speaker 8: Well, good morning, and thank you for inviting me back there.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I was looking at a post on the of the Varner Foundation a couple of days ago, and you talk about foster and kinship care, and back in twenty twenty three, a child entered foster and kinship care every two minutes. Today it is every minute and a half. So we have, I guess, more stress on the foster care system today than we've ever had before. Is that a fair statement?
Speaker 9: That's very fair.
Speaker 8: We have more kids going into foster care and kinship, and the difference between the two is kinship they're going to a family men or of best friend of one of their parents or whatever. But then they get taken off the foster kids count. So a lot of times when you talk about foster care and you read and they say our numbers are going down, they're really not. They're they're just finding other placements for these kids, but they're really still in foster care. A lot of the kids so lived with a relative they'd never met, in a state that isn't their own.
Speaker 9: So it is getting worse for sure.
Speaker 2: We talked last time. One of the last times we talked was back in November of last year when the Trump administration put out an executive order on fostering. They call it fostering the Future of American Children and Families. And so this is something that Malaney and Trump has taken an interest in, and they talked about getting more resources, more resources out there, more access to federal support, expanding educational opportunities. They talk about economic literacy for a lot of these kids who are aging out of the system. So it's only been a few months now, but when when you have a federal program like this and foster care gets the attention of the White House and the administration, have have you seen any results of that yet? Or do something like this is going to take a little while before you see any any any tangible evidence that it's making a difference.
Speaker 8: I don't chane it candible yet. But it's only been a few months and they have a lot of things in the work. I mean, test eighty five thousand youth age out of foster care each year, and that's a big thing to try and figure out. So it's there. It's going to take some time. But I think what I struggle with is that to help these kids, it's not going to be a one size fit's all ever. And this is what we Even the kids that don't age out, they're stuck in this cycle. Everybody knows that the foster system is broken and it needs some different attention. From my perspective, it needs to be brought down to the community level and giving a lot of these agencies with these people that just are so wonderful and working with these kids a lot more flexibility, less red hate, so that when they do age out, they don't have all the problems that the cop administration and Malaney are trying to tackle. Let's go back to the source. And it's the same thing with Tim Tebow. He is on an international stage and he's talking about internationally all the children that are being traveled, well here in the United States on what who you want to cite anywhere from sixty to ninety percent of the children in the US that are traffic have spent time in foster care, So wrap your head around that. So if that is true, and I have no way of knowing whether it's sixty or ninety percent, then let's go back to the foster care system because if we can make real out of the inroads in that system, there are left kids that are going to end up being traffic. So again, with what the Trump Trump administration is doing is amazing, but let's go back down to our route of how did we get here?
Speaker 9: What do these kids need?
Speaker 8: Not a one size it's all. Part of the reason that the Barner Foundation is so successful is because we stand in that resource gap for these families that are trying to foster these kids because they don't get the support they need from other systems. A great example is we had a big who was born in withdrawal in ICU. Had a wonderful foster family that stood up and said, we'll take this child, but she couldn't be released from the hospital unless she was on oxygen. Well, they took her home, Medicare brought oxygen for her, but they would not take for a portable oxygen, so they couldn't go anywhere with her. So they were tethered to the house, and they applied and plied, applied to other things b jfs and all the rest of it. And the way is always at least twelve to eighteen months even to get a reply on whether they're going to even accommodate you. And by that time a lot of parents had given up. So we ended up paying for a portable oxygen unit for this little girl. And the mom emailed me and said, we all get as a family to go watch my son's.
Speaker 9: Baseball this weekend for the very first one.
Speaker 8: And it's I know, And there's those kinds of things that happen all the time. So a lot of what we stand in the resource gap for will eventually be supplied by Medicare or JFF or whatever. But the way to get these things taken care of is so long. We had another intense.
Speaker 9: With a child that needed a specialized safety beds because he was autistic and he would get us and he would hurt himself, and that way was eighteen months again.
Speaker 8: And in the meantime, he's on his fifth placement because you're wearing a foster parent out because one of them had to stay up all night and make sure he was safe. These are the things that we need as a as a community to go back and say, Okay, we need to we need to get all the red tape out of the way. We need to meet each.
Speaker 9: Child where they are.
Speaker 8: No child that has been through trauma it has the same challenges. None of them do. Some of them may be a the same that it's an individual thing. And if we really want good outcomes, so these kids aren't traffic, so they don't run away, so they don't have no place else to go once they age out, we need to get back.
Speaker 9: To the roots.
Speaker 8: And the roots have got to be in the community, and we need to be that. We have a huge shortage of foster parents because it's hard. Not only that hard, you get yeah exactly, I foster for kids in my real lifetime, and it's hard. You don't get phone calls back, you don't get all the things that you need, and what ends up happening is it becomes so disruptive to your life and your and your family and you feel like you're drowning. You're going to ask that child to be rehomed. Well, every time you rehome them, it's more trauma up on trauma, trauma. And remember, these kids aren't in the foster system to anything that they've done wrong.
Speaker 9: They are they are taking the.
Speaker 8: Burden of the consequence for their parents acts. So what their parents did have caused them to be in this and yet they're traumatized, comte and I will and it's not right.
Speaker 9: It's just not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think of the different families that I've known over the years that have been involved in fostering kids, and I look at these families and they're extraordinary. I mean, they really really are there. And it's not that they're doing anything special, but they're extraordinary in the way they're able to open their hearts and open their homes and and go the extra mile on almost a daily basis for these kids. And they don't you know, they don't make any money doing it. And it's a it's a strain on the resources. And you got and you guys constantly talk about how fifty percent of those who are involved in foster care they they have to give it up simply because it's it's such a strain on the resources. I think you have a lot of people who are well intended and want to do right by these kids. So it's not always a nightmare scenario, but just when it comes down to the bottom financial line, a lot of these families just can't make it happen well.
Speaker 8: And it's going to disrupt your family routine too, especially if these children one third of all the children DAN in foster care are disabled one third, so that means doctor's appointment, and this is on top of the therapy that these kids should have anyway if they're in foster care, which they are, but often it's weekly doctor's appointment, children's or someplace else, and it's a lot of it's a lot of time that you invest in these kids, and these parents really love these kids and really want to make a difference, but sometimes it just gets to the point, especially with kids that were traffic and you and I have talked about this, once they're once they're rescued, and I take I mean Tim Tebow is a wonderful advocate for these kids that are trafficked and trying to make them, trying to find where they are and rescue them. But once they're rescued, what do we do with them? Our foster program is already broken. If you take a kid that has been sexually abused for years and sold and beaten and all these other things that you know are addicted to drugs. A lot of them are because that's what makes them compliant during their abuse. And you turn around and want to place them in a foster home. That's a that doesn't work. It just doesn't work because you they have so many physical and mental and social emotional needs that they don't sit in. So a lot has to go back to We cannot have all these one size stif doll trainings and programs. We need to really reach out and change the way that we do this. It needs to be individualized. And again that's why I said it needs to come back to the community. And if we had it said that if every church in Ohio were to have one family fostering with the rest of the church family coming around them and supporting them by giving him rested care and helping them out with transportation and all this other kind of stuff, we wouldn't have any We wouldn't have a shortage of foster parents because it just takes a lot. I mean, for instance, when I had my my last foster kid, I have a very great friend that lives in Kentucky. I'm not allowed to take her over state lines. I couldn't take her there. Real you're not allowed to take a child yet without permission. You can't.
Speaker 2: For any reason for a visit, for aion, just spend spending you know, a saturd they swimming in the pool or.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 8: Right, and if you have a child.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 8: Well, one of them, one of the faster kids I had, was eleven, and she wasn't even allowed to go to speak a sleepover unless they had investigated the parents. I mean, I understand the premise behind all that, because you're trying to because they're keeping that child safe. But we've got to do it and you can apply that. It takes days or sometimes weeks to be able to.
Speaker 2: Get that get that propose, going to say, it doesn't sound very practical in reality. When you do you try to make that work in a in a real life scenario, right yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 8: God for bitch, they should go to this sleepover and something happened to them, because then they are When a foster child is with you, you have no rights. You have no rights. The the they're the ward of they're the ward of the county. Ward is I mean, you have you are just caring for them for the time being, so you have very little say. And that's why foster parents think that they they're burnt out. They have no resources, and they just don't feel like they have any support. What they're they're turning their lives upside down inside out for God's take. Then need a little bit of support, and the support is so tied up in the system and the red tape. Again, I keep harping back to this, but let's put this back into into our community's hands, in their labs, and say, why don't we come around these kids in our own community, our own our own part of the part of Ohio, or even just the state, and let's decide how we're going to work with these kids, because other than that, they really don't have much of a chance. These kids, you're never going to get anywhere with these kids, their behavior, their learning ability, they're all neurodivergent. They all are behind at school. Most of them will never graduate all this other kind of stuff because their brain doesn't feel safe, and they don't because they don't feel safe, they don't trust. They've been learned, they've learned not to trust people. And until they can and they feel safe. You can't break through to them on so many different levels, and that we need to talk about that, and we need to understand what they've been through. When you have a child this place with you, you are not told, well, but why they are there, because that's privileged.
Speaker 3: They hold it back.
Speaker 8: You have no idea. A little little boy once that was placed here in the middle of the night and I went to run him a bath because it was he was so he stealthy, had to toe and he just lost it and lost it. And it wasn't until I understood that they used to hold his head under the water. Well, sure would have been nice to know that before he came.
Speaker 2: He unbelieved.
Speaker 8: So it's always it's always a challenge. But I think if a again, foster care is so so important and if people can't foster, this is a huge commitment. Please please please try and donate to Barner Foundation for Children and Families or another foundation like that that stands in the resource gap so that we can give these families the support that they need so that they can continue and will continue to love on these kids and keep them safe and provide a better future for them.
Speaker 2: Well and of Angeline We've only got about a minute or so left here, but again, that's what that's one of the reasons why I love having you on and I love talking about the Varner Foundation because it's it's a great organization. You don't take a dime for yourselves, not every penny that that you raise in fundraising goes to the mission, and I think that's one of the most important things. And I will never stop having you guys on because you're so dedicated to what you do and I just can't think of anything that's more important than helping these kids out in Ohio. Plays such a big part when it comes to children being trafficked and the lives of these kids being ruined. I know, look, I know there's great foster families out there, and not every case is the worst case scenario, but when people need help, Thank God for that, The Varner Foundation and people.
Speaker 4: Like you were there, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you. You love what we do.
Speaker 2: I know you do, and there's no more passionate advocate than you are. Evangeline. We got to run. As always, I appreciate the time, keep up the great work and we'll be seeing you soon and have you on again before too long.
Speaker 8: Oh, thanks so much, have a great day, Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go, Evangeline Deval and just saw all you have to do is google it. The Varner Foundation for Families and Children, just great work that they do over there. Ten twenty four. We got to get to a break, Daniel Turner, Power the Future. On the other side of this, we'll talk about gas prices, electric prices, straight to horror moves, all that stuff as we roll on till noon today on seven hundred WLW. Al right back on the back one, seven hundred WLW ten thirty eight, Dan Carroll for Scott Sloan today. I'm not sure if Slony is back tomorrow or not, but for me, it wouldn't be a show unless I had on this guy. Power of the Future is the website. The guy who puts it all together is my buddy, Daniel Turner, one of the most sought after analysts when it comes to energy, economic policy, political policy, anything under the sun. My buddy Daniel Turner can field it all. Daniel, how are you doing today?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, what a day we are having, Dan. But it's always a pleasure to be.
Speaker 2: On with you, it is. It is always great to have you on. We got up this morning and we see that oil is hitting one hundred dollars a barrel here in Cincinnati. A week ago, we were paying two forty nine for a gallon of gas. Now we're paying three point thirty nine for a gallon of gas. People are wondering why the gas prices are so high. I think we know because of the conflict of war in the Middle East, to Operation Epic Fury. I'm reading stories about the Straits of Horror moves. The straits are open, the straits are not open. Ships that got through this weekend they didn't get through. I don't know what to believe about the reporting that's going on there, but I guess because really, anytime there's there're shooting going on and missiles flying around in the Middle East, that's going to have an effect on oil prices.
Speaker 4: It does. And any of us of a certain age have known that whenever something happens in the Middle East, it affects oil prices. So maybe maybe this will be the very last time for the foreseeable future, hopefully forever, that actions in the Middle East affect oil prices. Maybe we can actually end this nonsense. So oil prices are global command and what happens on the world stage impacts America and oil markets hate uncertainty, and that's what we have right now. We don't know what the hell the future is going to bring. We had sixty dollars barrel oil for the first year of the Trump administration because there were certainty, not just geopolitical, but there was permitting certainty, There was financing certainty, there was regulatory certainty. And when all of those things happened together, everyone just kind of calms down and oil prices drop. And that's why we saw very, very cheap oil and gasoline for as long as we did. Right now, we don't know what the future is going to bring, and that makes people absolutely petrified. More specifically, the gasoline prices. The reason why they jump so high at the pump is that the price you pay currently is what your gas station knows it has to buy in the future. Right the gas, the gas you're filling in your car was paid last week with those prices. So if the future says, holy crap, how expensive is oil are going to be? How expensive is gasoline going to be? I don't know. That is why you see those prices jump immediately because They don't know when the next tanker shows up what it's going to cost, so they prepare for the worst case scenario because that's how small the margins on gasoline actually are. So it's a complicated business and war in the Middle East does not help. But like I said, hopefully this will be the last time we have to worry about this region ever again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the one of the major parts of the Trump platform was making America the dominant energy player across the world. I know that was Ei or he was making steps, taking steps to get to that goal. I don't think we're there yet, but at least the ball is rolling in that direction. With If America becomes the and I think America will become the dominant energy player in the world in terms of oil and in terms of energy production. How much of a factor is that going to be.
Speaker 5: Huge?
Speaker 4: Because if you control the oil, you control the world. And we need that. We need America to control the world and set the world agenda, set the stage for good. So I think that's absolutely essential. You know, one of the things that's very frustrating about all of this is for the last couple of years, we had the administration that was trying to set the agenda for renewables, wind and solar and crappy eeds and crappy you know, batteries and all that is controlled by China. And so here's the Trump administration saying, you know what, America can dominate the oil business, and then we will set the world stage. We will set the agenda. That explains what happened in Venezuela. It's explained what happened with the Panama Canal, It's explained what's happening in the stra of horn Mouse. If we can control the world's oil supply, we can control world peace, geostability, and that is a good thing. We also have to realize we don't have a lot of friends out there, and that's the most frustrating thing. As much as this is bad for the world's economy, there are huge oil and gas producers. Who are the ones really getting stuck with this? Saudi Arabia, Uae, Kuwait, Ama, Oman, right, the United Arab Emirates, Doha, all these places we talked about, and all these that exotic vacation. Let's what the hell are they doing to open the straits of horn Mouse? Right? Aren't these they're Arab brothers. Aren't these all there Islamic friends and you're like, well, no, one is Wahabi and one is Sheite and the other is Sunni, and you blah blah blah. But you know what, They're not doing a damn thing because they don't care. It shows you who we have to deal with in the world. Why is not? Why is do buy not petrified that their oil is not getting out? Because Daniel, let me let me stop you. Right there is the straight of horror moves. Is it open right now or not?
Speaker 2: I mean, do you know I read where we're going to have naval ships escorting vessels through there. I read over the weekend where there was a container ship that got through. I read that that there's a blockade that nothing is getting through. What's what's the real story on the street?
Speaker 4: Energy Secretary Chris Wright said, the very first tanker went through yesterday and that had a and it didn't even need a navy escort. This is not about the navy. This is not about them worrying they're getting blown up. This is about insurance. And this is where just the world gets very complicated. Everything has insurance, right, every vehicle, every vessel, the world's largest insurers right now are saying I am not insuring your cargo ship, your five hundred million dollar cargo ship if you go through that area. So you're sitting there, you're waiting for someone to underwrite your insurance. And so the captain has just anchored. Now the American government has come in and said, we will provide your insurance and therefore you can go. I think if they had the insurance they would go. So why don't the insurers want it? Well, because the insurers don't like Donald Trump. The insurers are Lloyd's of London. There are a bunch of of of Commy Pinkos who were based in London right there. There are a bunch of greenies. They hate the oil and gas industry. There's a lot going on right now of why we are on the pickle we're in, and it is not because we killed one of the most evil men in creation, the Ayatola. It's because there's a lot of people who don't want to see America succeed, because they don't want America to control the oil and gas of the world. They want a reset global order.
Speaker 2: Is this something that should have been anticipated ahead of time by Trump? And the administration.
Speaker 4: I this is not a criticism. I don't think Donald Trump has ever. I think Donald Trump is doesn't realize how evil the world actually is. How do I put any nicer? Remember in his first term, and he would appoint these people of his backstab him. People say, I think Donald Trump only and he's doing this for ten years, right, But he is not a career politician. He's a business guy. And business guys that's the joys of this hate each other. But when you make a deal, you make a deal on life goes on. I don't have to like you personal we have our invested interests in politics. That's not the same criteria. And maybe Donald Trump was stunned to see Keir Starmer, the British Prime Minister, saying no, we're not going to get We're not going to let you land your jets here. Not only that, but we've sold one of the most strategic bases in the Indian Ocean out from under you the eagle go to see it. Maybe he was stunned that the CEO of Lloyd's of London is like, you know what, I'm not going to ensure those cargo ships because I want to see the Americans suffer because I'm deeply worried about climate change or whatever. There. I think Donald Trump is always stunned at how awful and evil politics actually is. And that explains why we can't get the Save Act passed. That explains our thirty nine prillion dollar debt, it explains our open borders, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm also starting to read some criticism of Trump for not having the Strategic Petroleum Reserve topped off. But I think people forget that it was Joe Biden who depleted the strategic Petroleum Reserve to the lowest level that we've had since I think before World War Two, and filling it up is not You don't just flip a switch and fill it up overnight and I thank you, Yeah, and I'll begin. You know, filling it up began back in January when they started a program of for replenishing the strategic petroleum reserves. So I think that that's what a criticism is a little uncalled for.
Speaker 4: It's uncalled for, and it's totally ignorant, and it's opportunistic. You know, Joe Biden drained some three hundred million barrels of oil from the reserves. Now the reserves were made that you can deplete very quickly because they are supposed to keep America afloat in the case of crisis. So you can drain four four and a half million barrels a day pretty darn easy. But imagine refilling it at that rate, right, Imagine if if we produced thirteen point six million barrels a day. What would happen to oil prices if two hundred thousand barrels a day went into the reserve, Well, oil prices would jump through the roof because that's a huge percentage of supply that is going towards the reserves, right, And two hundred thousand barrels a day to replenish three hundred million, we're talking about a very, very long process. So maybe we're doing, you know, fifty thousand barrels a day, enough to make an impact on the supply, but not enough dwindled supply to increase the price. Right, So what's that calculation? All this goes back to what you said, it was Joe Biden who did this. So once again, like the border, like Obamacare, like the strategic petroleum reserve, like the state of our military, will you give democrats power, they will do everything they can to destroy your once great institutions, and then you inherit a piece of dog crap, and then the voters or the media is like, well, I am surprised, Dan Carroll hasn't fixed this yet. You know what, It's been four d and I'm starting to get angry. Four years Joe Biden had untethered control of this industry and people. Now in thirteen months, Rolfe Come hasn't fixed it yet. F you, buddy. That's why he hasn't fixed it because you guys did this. And you have Shreed Brown, who's trying to run for office. Who's the guy trying to run against Shareed Brown? Crucify that, sob on these points, where were you when Joe Biden dwindled the Strategic Petroleum Reserve? Shared Brown? You want your Senate feedback? What the hell did you do to get our oil and gas pipelines operating to protect America's infrastructure?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: And now you want to come back to the Senate and on what principles? On what grounds we don't have enough genital mutilation of children. You can't hate these people enough. Dan. They have power and they destroy things, and then they have the balls to look at you and be like, I can't believe this is broken. How come you haven't fixed it yet? This is my absolute loathing for professional democrats, elected democrats. It's a Joe Biden and companies.
Speaker 2: It's an excellent point. And if what else I'm reading is true, the infrastructure doesn't even exist to refill the spr now. At the rate that we're talking, you can drain it a lot faster than you can fill it up, is what I'm saying here. We've got a few minutes left here, Daniel Turner. But I'm looking at Fox News right now.
Speaker 4: And I take a breather.
Speaker 2: I keep saying, I'm going to book you if I'm going to book you for an hour and a half segment one of these days, because we could fill that up quite easily. But I'm looking at Fox News right now and they're doing a report on what's happening in New York City. You had demonstrations over there on the weekend, and then you had some guys toss essentially IEDs into a demonstration that was happening there, and somehow Mandani is coming out and criticizing the people that I guess see he's criticizing the people that had the demonstration because that triggered the terrorists to do terrorists? Then now am I am I reading?
Speaker 4: Then it's like after nine to eleven when we said we have to worry about the backlash on our Muslim community, and you say, wow, I think we have to worry about the thousands of dead New Yorkers that we have. This is exactly what the left does. Right. A crazy Muslim terrorist throws an ied at a crowd and the mayor's response is, we have to wonder what happened to provoke that guy. This is moral equivalent equivocation. This is what Barack Obama does all the time, right. This is this is that idea that everyone is guilty, both sides are guilty, but the right is actually more guilt. This is Charlie Kirk got it right. If he just stopped going on college campuses and and and preaching his hate, as we say that, then then he wouldn't have gotten shot. So he actually he did this himself, right, This is this is the moral equivocation of the godless, gutless left. You know, hopefully Cash betel On the FBI can unravel this network. What I am fascinated in in this thing? Is what nineteen year old kid from Cincinnati is going to go to the Chicago Mayor's office to protest? Right, You're like, what, I don't even know. I grew up in New York City. I've never been to Gracie Manchin. How did this kid from Bucks County, Pennsylvania show up in New York City? Oh? You know why? Because there is a Muslim network to protect the Muslim mayor and to fight for the Muslim mayor. And that network has to be unraveled. They've got to be hung, hanged in the town square and the rest of them have to be deported.
Speaker 2: White supremacy, White supremacy, Daniel Turner. It's out there all over the place. And thank god, these these clowns who threw this explosive device into this crowd were completely incompetent bomb makers. We'd be talking about an absolute massacre today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, in tragic that. You know, these kids are first generation Americans America. Let their parents come to this country. Go online and look at the photos of the FBI raising the house. It is some damn house. Mom and dad did well for the same And then who and what did what type of kids did they raise? Right? And that raises questions. I'm sorry about mom and dad, What the hell is going on there? You know, why did we allow you into this country if the children that you bore on our soil do this? Because I have grandparents that were born in a foreign country. But my parents also, you know, fought and and and protected this country at a very different level of immigration that we have. So a lot has to be in question about you know, this is this, this unravels the well it's legal versus illegal immigration. We we have a problem with who we allow into this country and assimilation and I am tired of unassimilated people posing a threat for me and my family.
Speaker 2: All right, well, Daniel Turner will have to leave it there. I appreciate you carving out time between all your television hits. You're a very busy guy. Keep up the great work, my friend, and we'll be talking again before too long.
Speaker 4: God blessed Dan. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go, Daniel Turner. The website is Power of the Future, a lot of great stuff there. Always recommend you check it out. Ten fifty four Dan Carroll for scotslan on seven hundred WLW do you.
Speaker 1: Want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Right back on the Big One seven hundred w L eleven eight, Dan Carroll got slown coming up at the bottom of the hour after the news. At the bottom of the hour, my buddy Jim Serger will be here. He'll be joining us on the phone. He's got a new book, count that Lance McAllister has written a little blurb for It's called Everybody Bunts, And so we will talk to Jim about that. In the meantime, phone lines are open five to one to three, seven four, nine, seven, eight hundred. The Big One another probe by a criminal probe by the FBI into suspected election irregularities, something I've talked about quite a bit, and we are told time and time and time again that, uh, the election of twenty twenty was completely above board, safest best election we've ever had. Sources spoke on condition of anonymity because of the secrecy of the grand jury probe. They are talking about FBI agents who are receiving gigabytes of electronic data from Maricopa County about a month after the bureau first disclosed an investigation into election irregularities by rating a warehouse near Atlanta seizing ballots from the twenty twenty election in Fulton County. So now they've got another one going on in Arizona. Subpoena comes five years after the Arizona State Senate conducted a lengthy investigation into the twenty twenty election and concluded there were significant irregularities. And again, there were irregularities in November of twenty twenty four at a warehouse in Arizona where blank and filled out absentee ballots were observed in the same location, according to the sources. So the FBI is looking into that in Arizona and we will see what comes of that. What else, what else? What else? Did you know that the federal government is shrinking. Three hundred and sixty thousand federal jobs have been shipped out of Washington. Workforce reduction that large cripples most organizations in the private sector. Losing that many positions triggers emergency meetings, halt production lines, sparks panic among executives. Washington, however, keeps moving along as if someone merely cleaned out a few old files out of a drawer. Of this piece in PJA media, the federal workforce shrank by three hundred eighty six thousand, eight hundred and twenty six positions during the first year of Trump's second term. Administration. Leaders framed the effort as a long overdue overhaul or overdue correction of decades of unchecked growth inside federal agencies. The work largely fell under the Department of Government Efficiency when Elon Musk served as the department's co chair and was tasked with identifying layers of bureaucracy that had quietly multiplied over many administrations. And so this was what was happening on a regular basis under the Biden administration was we kept having these job reports about all these jobs that were created, and Joe Biden loves to go around and talk about all these jobs he created and all the economic activity that was happening under his administration. Well, a huge chunk of those jobs were government jobs. The numbers behind the reduction reveal how large the bureaucracy had become. Roughly three hundred and seventeen thousand federal employees left government positions during twenty twenty five. About sixty eight thousand new workers entered federal service during the same period, departures far out pacing high across every major agency, Education, Housing, Treasury. The Trump administration effort to reduce staffing across agencies resulted in the loss of more than three hundred and seventeen thousand federal employees thirteen point seven percent decrease. At the same time, sixty eight thousand new federal employees joined the civil service. So has anyone noticed any difference when it comes to government services? Maybe you deal with the government. I fortunately, I don't think I do. And maybe I do, but I don't think. I don't think I deal with the government, the federal government on a regular basis. I know, I don't go to my mailbox looking for a government check or I guess it gets to direct deposited. I mean, I haven't done my taxes yet, so that'll be some interaction I have with the federal government when I do that. But I don't deal with the federal government on a regular basis. Maybe if you're involved with the VA or HUD or one of the other agencies on a regular basis, maybe you've noticed some difference, But I don't know. I really haven't seen it. A piece in the Inquiry Today talking about written by Gordon Whittmeyer talking about Latin American players on edge as ICE tactics intensify, and he goes on to talk about several Reds players and I guess players across Major League Baseball who are concerned for themselves and their families about ICE activities. And I read this piece and it's it's a little disingenuous.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: As President Trump stepped up immigration and force enters its second year, the violent images involving often masked immigration and custom enforcement agents have left a very specific, very public group of Latin Americans in the US bracing for what comes next. Well, why are those immigration and customs enforcement agents wearing masks? Because when they go out and do their jobs, there are those on the left who constantly seek to identify these people, constantly seek to get their identities out there on social media. They seek to put their addresses out there, if their phone numbers, if they can get it, they're family members. It's called doxing. We all, we've all heard of doxing. And they want to make the lives of these agents and absolute living hell for doing nothing more than a job they are sworn to do. This country gives you an opportunity to change your life Cincinnati Redstar Aua Halios Worrez said, now you feel pressured, you feel scared because you don't know what's going to happen if you're driving down the highway and somebody stops you, even if you're a citizen. Well, I've talked before on this show that if you are a citizen, if you are in the country legally, if you are not out committing crimes, then generally, genuinely you really don't have anything to fear.
Speaker 4: But it might.
Speaker 2: Might you be stopped, might you be asked some questions that might happen, And largely in the situations where it has happened, the individual, after answering a few questions is sent on their way. I don't think we've had very very few, and it is less than one percent of individuals who have been detained or arrested or held for a time, and then once a few questions are answered, they're free to go. And this whole notion that these mass men are coming in the middle of the night and scooping people up and sending them away and they are never seen or heard from again. That is the narrative that a lot of people want to get out there and want people to believe, but it is simply not true. A Major league players such as Suarez, who's from Venezuela, feel fear for their game, their families, their own safety at times. With the start of spring training across Florida in Arizona, hundreds of major and minor league players from other countries are back in the US to prepare for the season. Training camps kicked off weeks after US military action in Venezuela that overthrew Nicholas Maduro and the killings by federal agents of two US citizens in Minneapolis. The killing of two US citizens in Minneapolis. And so that sentence is right there, when when you read that and you see that printed that way, does that put that those two incidents in any sort of context whatsoever at all? It doesn't. Is that fair? Is that fair reporting? Is that? Is that a fair sentence too? I mean, I mean, it happened, But why did it happen? Didn't we discuss those two incidents ad nauseum on this radio station. Didn't we have a national debate about that for days after these incidents happen, thoroughly dissecting, reviewing the video over and over and over again, and just to throw that in there, as if that is a factor of why players who are playing baseball from other countries who are in the United States now should fear this administration or fear ice to throw that in there just like that, And to my way of thinking, is is not very good reporting. Teams have addressed the issue in team meetings. Red's president Nick krawl on one of the first mornings after the full ostra players had arrived in Arizona, emphasizing vigilance and taking precautions as basic as always carrying identification, which to me sounds like a good idea. Last thing you want guys to do is be in compromising situations that could easily escalate into something it doesn't need to. That's another good idea. Be aware of your surroundings if there are agitators who are out and first of all, during all of spring training, during all of the baseball season last season, was there any of this going on?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 2: He writes. Twice last year, Ice and Customs and Border Patrol agents showed up at Dodger Stadium once in June and the day after the Dodgers World Series parade in November. Dodgers employees denied access to its parking lots. So were these ICE agents there to harass the players, wouldn't they have been able to do that quite easily in Arizona or in Florida. You know where they're going to be, you know when they're going to be there, if you wanted to round the And do we have any reason to suspect at all that anyone playing Major League Baseball who is from another country is in this country illegally?
Speaker 3: Do we?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, if this is true, shouldn't we be seeing ICE agents all over the Dave? Where are they playing? The what is that? What it is that the World Baseball Classic they're playing that? They're playing that in Florida and Arizona. So if there was so much harassment going on, if there was, if this was such easy pickings for ICE agents and customs and border patrol, wouldn't they be all over the World Baseball Classic? I mean there's multiple teams here from other countries, you got it, probably entire rosters in some cases that are made up of players from other countries. If ICE was so hell bent on harassing people who didn't don't deserve to be harassed wouldn't they be there? Have we seen any as anyone? And look, maybe I missed it. I mean I look at stuff all the time. I would like to think that if there was, if this situation was going on, I would have seen some reporting on it. I haven't seen anything on it at all. The Dodgers, who won the past two World Series, have one of the most internationally diverse rosters in the league, the strongest Latino following among MLB fans, more than forty percent of Dodgers attendance and TV viewership as Latin American. Okay, well, that's great that, I mean, that's that's fantastic. First incident the stadium spurred by protests or spurred protests by activists, and later reportedly a reluctance by some fan to fans to attend games, at least in part over Dodgers' lack of more vocal resistance to the ice activities. As if I'm the Dodgers, No, I mean, I can't think of any Major League I can't think of any organization, whether it's baseball, private business, that would want this type of attention brought to what it is you're doing. So do you want ice agents there. Do you want to have demonstrations people marching around? Do you want to have confrontations like we saw in Minneapolis. I can't think of any entity that wants something like that. So this is a piece that goes on and on and on, and I just think it's kind of filled with sort of misleading statements, obviously incomplete information. Is it an issue? I would I have no doubt that there are Major League Baseball players there who are concerned for themselves and their families and the reality of the world that we live in today. Are these fears a little bit unfounded? Are they hyped up a little bit in this piece? And I think so, But you have to look at what's really going on. And once the demonstration stopped in Minneapolis, unded up all kinds of bad ombrees got him out of there, and we don't see the demonstrations anymore. Although the chaos is happening in New York City now because you had some want to be terrorists who thankfully are not very good at building bombs try and call some mass chaos there earlier this week or over the weekend. I mean, we got to get to a break and after the news here at the bottom of the hour, and Jim Suger is going to be here and talk about his new book. It's called Everybody Bunts and Lance mccallister's had a look at it, so good for him. But Jim Seuger is always an interesting conversation, and I hope you can stick around for that. Dan Carroll for Scott's Loan seven hundred WLW seven hundred WLW eleven thirty seven, coming down the home stretch. Dan Carroll in for the Scott's Loan and always great to have on. My next guest, local guy graduated from UC spend time, spent time in the navy? Is that right? My buddy Jim Serger is here, and Jim, how are you doing today?
Speaker 5: Good morning, Dan, baseball is here.
Speaker 2: I know you love baseball season and congratulations. Book number ten is out and available, and I think I called it Everybody Bunts earlier, but the title is actually everyone Bunce. And you even got a nice little blurb on there from Lance McAllister. How about that? How much did that get? Lance charges as a high price for that sort of thing, doesn't he yes, sir, yes.
Speaker 5: Sir, high price. Actually he got a nice book and it was really cool Lance to do that.
Speaker 7: I mean, Lance got a sneak peek of that book probably gosh, seven months ago now, So it's special to have him somebody you know, that grew up here in some of the states where I grew up as a young man, and you know, he always talks about baseball cards and tradition to baseball and how it.
Speaker 5: Impacts your life and everything.
Speaker 7: And have him do a bourg and then I used to ride our bikes all around the place of Simon and Anderson mcnick Turpin, I mean everything. So it was really cool, really cool to have him do a bourb on the book.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, yeah, you always this is a fiction book, but you always you always have a lot of your own life experiences wrapped into just about everything that you do, Yes.
Speaker 5: Sir, Yes, sir. This is a very fun book to create.
Speaker 7: And two reasons why the book came to Fruition was one of my good friends.
Speaker 5: Barry Martin.
Speaker 7: His father was a terrific baseball coach for Midland and as a young kid playing with records and he was also the head coach for a few years in.
Speaker 5: Anderson High School.
Speaker 7: Well, mister Martin played college basketball at Kentucky Wesleyan. He didn't play college baseball, he played college basketball.
Speaker 5: So I was like, this guy's got some great leadership skills.
Speaker 7: And then I got a little bit older and that mcnick, Buddy Bell and Ron Oster from the Redsvours coach JV basketball at mcnick, Well, they understand leadership, they understand skills, they understand the mindset of a coach on and off the field.
Speaker 5: So that's how I came up with everyone. But it's about a.
Speaker 7: High school baseball coach who does have the background as a collegiate basketball coach.
Speaker 5: But in high school you don't have to be the best of the best to be a great coach.
Speaker 7: You have to understand the skills on and off the field as a manager and then a coach to be able to teach the young men how to play ball. You have to wear two hats on the field. So for about two years I followed Nick Nick Anderson Turkin. I saw more games X games playing those guys, and I just took notes, took notes of what fans were saying, parents were saying, coaches were doing, what the kids in the dugowns were doing.
Speaker 5: So they created this fictitious theory.
Speaker 7: And they tied in a lot of stuff that I played with that, so I had to put it all just like you said, you got to get it all in there.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I read this on the Amazon page where your book is, and you write this, just because you're a baseball coach doesn't mean you can teach. Just because you're a baseball manager doesn't mean you can coach. All it means in both cases is that you have the title. And so that's not only true in the world of baseball, but it has I think a bigger meaning throughout the rest of really anything you do in life. You may have the title. But just because you have the title doesn't mean that you can carry out whatever that mission is.
Speaker 7: That's correct, that's correct. I always see it like this. Pete Rose could bunt a baseball. If he turned around blindfolded and they threw it at him ten feet away, Pete Rose would be able to.
Speaker 5: Lay that bunt down.
Speaker 7: Now, how does Pete Rose explain how to do that to somebody for the first time? And somebody like Pete Rose would take the time to explain it to him, and do us run it again.
Speaker 5: Let's run it again. Let's run it.
Speaker 7: Again, because I'm a firm believer as well as everybody out there, is what you do in practice represents what.
Speaker 5: Happens on the field.
Speaker 7: So if you're doing nothing but batting practice, swinging for the fences, well, how are you gonna back up the third basement as a picture? How are you gonna lay down a.
Speaker 5: Butnt you know? How are you gonna turn a single into a double? How are you gonna hit the cutoff?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 7: That's where everyone bunt comes into play. And to be a great manager and a coach at the same time, you have to be able to explain everything why you gotta do this, and just don't take it for granted that everybody understands. I have to lay down the bunch because a designated hitter can lay down a bunch, and a leadoff hitter can hit a home run. Wow, that's something special right there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, Lance mcallis or put it in words like this, He says, this fictional story made up of various situations the author has seen firsthand cuts to the core of being a leader on and off the field. And that's what I liked about so many of the books that you've written, is that it's great storytelling, but that story always has a larger message for just out and for instance, I mean, you're not talking just about baseball here. You're talking about life and that part of life that everyone can experience whether or not you play baseball. And you do that, and you do that a lot, and that's what I liked about so many of your books.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate that, Dan, and leadership is so needed.
Speaker 7: It was needed when you were a young man, it was needed when my dad was a young man.
Speaker 5: Playing for UC Baseball.
Speaker 7: Leadership is a word that will never ever go away, and we need more of that presented down at the bottom line. The Little league baseball, the pee wee football, we need that in high school, we need it in college. Everybody is a line leader, whether you like it or not. Everybody's watching you. Everybody's watching it. They don't need to know your name, but they're watching you. They see what you do, They see what you do after whin, they see what you do after a loss. It's how you fix that stuff and make it part of your day to day operation every day on and off the field.
Speaker 2: Yes, certain, Yeah, I mean I spent the first hour of this show today talking about so many of the issues that we are dealing with here in Cincinnati and here in Hamilton County, and a lot of those issues could be dealt with in a meaningful way if there was strong leadership. And I think people, I think especially young people. I think young people crave leadership and they will they will gravitate towards that leadership, whether that leadership leads them in a positive direction or a negative direction. So it's a little bit of a double edged sword. But just the fact that you recognize or you you spell that out and you recognize that, and again I'll go back to young people craving leadership, but it's also I think I think people just in general gravitate towards leadership, and that leadership leads in a positive direction. It can it can be extremely beneficial for everyone involved.
Speaker 5: Yes, sure absolutely.
Speaker 7: I remember the first baseball team that I played on up there in Mount Washington in.
Speaker 5: The eighth grade.
Speaker 7: I was a good pitcher and the coach, Phil Wilhoyd said, I'm going to make you into a catcher, and that was the first practice and he threw me behind the plate.
Speaker 5: I got plowed over, I mean plowed.
Speaker 7: My back was against the backstop, and I said, I just got plowed over.
Speaker 5: And Phil said, Jimmy, that's going to be a part of life. You can't always just sit there and expect everything to you.
Speaker 7: Oh it's easy, it's easy, he said, Get up, gust off, get back into the catcher stance, and get.
Speaker 5: Ready to go.
Speaker 7: He said, what are you gonna do in twenty years when you fall down? You get let's go. And boy, he nailed us with those words. Right there, that's the solf off, get back up, You'll be fine.
Speaker 5: And it worked out fine. But I had never been plowed over as a catcher.
Speaker 2: Well, well, that's just it. I mean that, and that's it. But so many people that so many of us love sports, those of us who participated in sports, they teach those life lessons that will serve you well for the entire time you're drawing breath on this planet. And the other component of that, I think is is that coaches. The influence that a coach can have on the life of a young person, and even a person who's not young, I still think so, you know, I mean, I spent a lot of time with the great Jerryderger when I was at me. Nicholas high school and that and that guy influenced my life and I still think about him almost every single day and some of the some of the life lessons that he taught me back then when I when I was bumping around high school with a guy.
Speaker 5: Like that, Absolutely and that helped me get some ideas into this book.
Speaker 7: He said, Jimmy, the greatest gift that a player can give me is ten to fifteen or even a couple months later, when they call me up to say thank you or just.
Speaker 4: To say hi to me.
Speaker 7: He said, Then I knew I made an impact with them on and off the field, and.
Speaker 5: He nailed it. Yeah, he nailed it.
Speaker 7: I mean that's what every coach, leader, teacher, principal.
Speaker 5: Doesn't matter the title.
Speaker 7: When people reach back out to you years later, you impacted their lives.
Speaker 5: And in the moment, most young men and most young women.
Speaker 7: Think that person was being mean or called them out or being disrespectful to them in front of their peers.
Speaker 5: And then it isn't for four or five years later when they really realized, Wow, that person was actually rooting for me.
Speaker 7: They wanted me to do well, and that's why they helped me on the spot.
Speaker 5: And that's true. It's true of anything.
Speaker 7: I mean, the greatest coaches ever never tell you know or embarrass you in the moment when you're young or in high they say, hey.
Speaker 5: We're gonna correct it.
Speaker 7: We're gonna show you how to make it better, and we're gonna fix it. Not screaming yell at you on the spot. No, take the time afterwards and show them, show them, draw it out, use the chalkboard.
Speaker 2: That's true, Jim, Jim serga that that is great stuff. One of the other things that that you have done is you formed a great partnership with Tunnel to Towers and and you've written books about nine to eleven A Time to Alreayson. Remember, if I'm not mistaken, you've got three different volumes out now of nine to eleven A Time to Always Remember. And how's that going, How's how's your relationship going with Tunnel to Towers? And it must be extremely fulfilling for you to be involved in a project like that.
Speaker 5: Yes, there, it really is.
Speaker 7: You know that all came to fruition And it still happens today that I see the time nine to eleven at least four or five times a week.
Speaker 5: And that's what rum me to creating those three.
Speaker 7: Books for Tunnel to Towers and it still happens today. I could pick up the phone, I talk to them, I donate to them. All the books are donated to them from my royalties. I mean, we're helping out so many folks throughout the United States through Tunnel to Towers, from homeless veteran villages, to building a home a smart home, to giving away a mortgage free home to a fallen military or a first responder.
Speaker 5: It's just amazing what Tunnel to Towers does.
Speaker 7: I mean, hard to believe it's a twenty fifth anniversary of nine to eleven coming up here.
Speaker 4: In about seven.
Speaker 7: To me, it's just it'sn't breaking when people think about it, and it goes by so fast.
Speaker 5: Yet I can remember exactly where I was yesterday.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure if you were in New York and you live through that in Pennsylvania as well as the.
Speaker 5: Pentagon area, it never probably never goes away to him. Yeah, I remember that all the time.
Speaker 7: You know, the smell of pul riized concrete probably general it's a cent for a firefighter, something like smoke, what have you. And it's just crazy that you know twenty five years later, and so many of the firefighters now I think it's seven hundred and fifty nine maybe I'm misquote that have now perished because of the elements of fighting the ground zero. They've actually had more now die of illnesses after grounds than the.
Speaker 5: Three hundred and forty three that died that day.
Speaker 7: So that's over a thousand of them have perished because of nine to eleven. We always got to remember that, you know, just because it was yesterday. It can't be forgotten, just because it's like my uncle Chuck was in Pearl Harbor December seventh. That was a long time ago for me. I wasn't even born yet, but he was there and I remember him telling me that story when I was about seven or eighty old.
Speaker 5: You've never forgotten.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, absolutely, absolutely don't forget it. Can't forget, man. And I always wonder if we if we do enough in this country to to remember what happened that day and the consequences that we are still dealing with to this day and probably will be for as long as this country is around. So, Jim Serger, the book is every one bunce. You've got a blur on the back there by Lance Macow That alone is probably worth the the whatever.
Speaker 4: It is usual.
Speaker 2: You know, uh, if if people want to find out more about you and and everyone Bunce and where they can not just get this book, but any of your books, where do they do that?
Speaker 7: Sure, all books are available anywhere Barnes and you know Joseph Bath Jim Server dot com. So yes, sir, I appreciate that. But Lance was terrific, you know sports not right?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, look, if you've got an endorsement by Lance McAllister, it doesn't get much better than that. So we're gonna have clear skies today supposed to be Sonny in a high about seventy. So that's how you're gonna You're gonna go out, go out in the yard and have a toss today.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I would have a toss today, but instead I'm gonna go out and ride the old bicycle. It's two nice of the day not to do that. Today's beautile bit all right, and enjoy go rants opening Gay almost two weeks away. So Bearcat baseball is underway. Musket baseball underway, and catch some high school baseball games.
Speaker 5: Everybody out there.
Speaker 2: Well, bearcats just had had a four game sweep over the weekend of Wichita State with a walk off home run yesterday. I saw I saw that on my on my feet. Jim, we got to run three o'clock, all right, Jim, we got to run. Keep up the great work, my friends.
Speaker 5: Have a great day, mister Carroll.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, Thank you, and we will talk to you again before too long. But check it out. All you got to do is google Jim Siger Books or go to Amazon. The book is every one bunts and you will see it there. That is it for me. I got to get out of here. Bill Cunningham is coming up next, Big Dave the broadcast Sheriff, thank you for everything you did, and I'll be back again on I think it's Wednesday night. We're gonna do a little midweek crisis on Wednesday night, so I'm looking forward to that again. We'll see you next time on the Home of the Reds seven hundred WLW