Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. So yesterday, this guy Alex Call gets two hits off of Jacob Mazerowski and then this morning he rolls into the clubhouse playing his alto sacks. You're feeling good on this Sunday, Hunt Call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the last minute decision to bring the saxophone on the road. I needed a new mouthpiece for it, so I had to make sure it works. And you know, you were fortunate enough to see it.
Speaker 1: You're you're a man of many hidden talents, Alex Call. How did we not know about you knowing how to play the alto sax?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean unless you see it for your eyes, you know, you gotta believe in a scene sometimes. So I've always enjoyed the sound I played since seventh grade, you know, and just really enjoyed it. So just kind of a thing for me to do in some free time.
Speaker 1: You seem like, uh, definitely an alto sax type of guy. But any chance you went to the tenor.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would go to the tenor. If anything, I would go to the soprano. You know. I like listening to you know, like Kenny G's old stuff and you know, just a little bit different sound, but the alto is you know, you can do everything on it, So I like that sound.
Speaker 1: Well you're a little younger, but this is transcendent. Clarence Clemens, the big man from the East three Band. Ever heard of him? Did he inspire you as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I I didn't listen to a ton but I definitely know Clarence, and you know, it's it's one of those things that, yeah, I love the sound. So whoever's playing it, if you're playing at a high level, it's it's good stuff.
Speaker 1: So when Alex Call brings the saxophone on the road, does that mean you're playing the sax on the today or does that mean you're playing the sax in the clubhouse to get the guys going. Is this like a rally saxophone? What are we thinking here?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a rally saxophone. Maybe it'll come out on the plane, depends on what activities are going on the plane, you know, just kind of but mostly it's in the room and when you have a little bit of time, just kind of get your own little sax vibe going on.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk baseball now, Alex Call. Yesterday obviously a tough day to start against Jacob Mazerowski, but you handled yourself. What was the key to have success against him? And obviously it's always tough no matter who you're facing, but him especially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, when I got the you know, the call that I'm playing or whatever, Yeah, the call, Yeah, I was excited because it's like, you know, I just I one love to play, but too just I feel like I I like the more difficult situations because it's just like I'm gonna embrace it. I'm gonna say, hey, you know, this guy's pitching really well right now. He's one of the best in the game. He's got really good stuff. But I know my assignment, I know my job, and I know how I'm gonna go out there, prepare and have a plan to execute and then grind it out in the game. And you know, obviously infield hit and then a nice line drive, you know, gives you some good results. But all you can do is prepare and then and then trust that the results are gonna make God's hands, and just grateful for the opportunity to go out there, compete and help the team.
Speaker 1: That's one thing about Alex Call that you could use to describe him prepared and he's always a competitor. Is that how you've been able to stay ready, whether it's off the bench or in spots starts this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, stay ready and stay valuable, stay just like you know, stay around, you know, whatever it is. I mean, I I love to play this game. I'm extremely grateful to be to do it, especially on the Dodgers. And every time you're called upon, it doesn't matter whether you've played every day or whether you've played once a week or whatever it is. Like when you get out there, you have to show that you're a major league player. And you know, above average major league player is what I always say. And that's my goal, that's my focus every time I go out there, so that when the next opportunity comes, there's confidence that Alex Call is going to go out there. And you know, when you're prepared and when you work hard and when you're ready, like people like to give you more chances, you know, and so yes, obviously you want to get results as well, but when everybody knows that you're prepared and ready to go, and you know you're you're focused on what your job is, well, then it's easier to give that guy I feel like, another opportunity. And so that's always been my mindset, and especially in this role. It's like, Hey, I want to make it as hard for you know, Doc to not write my name in on the lineup as it is you know, anybody else. So that's that's my goal. That's how I think about it.
Speaker 1: I would imagine that slows the game down for you when you're that prepared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Doc said it in spring training. It's like there's no fear and there's no nervousness when you're prepared. And for me, the only nervousness is just the excitement butterflies. If playing in the game and playing it in front at Dodger Stadium at the major league level, you know, you always have those kind of an eight butterflies. But when you you know what to expect and you've practiced against it, it doesn't make it any easier, but it gives you confidence knowing that hey, I'm ready, I've done my work. I'm gonna step in this box and you know you've got to bring your best because I'm bringing mine. And you know, then whatever happens happens.
Speaker 1: All right, Alex, thanks a lot for the time. I'm not gonna make some weird saxophone joke on the way out, like, hey, hit that note today, man, let's call. I'm not gonna do that, all right, So have a great Sunday, and it's a great day to get a win. That's right, let's go do it.