Speaker 1: This morning Hair on the Mojo on the morning show, Shannon's doing something with her kids, a little parenting thing with her kids that it just recently bit her in the ass.
Speaker 2: This is so true. And by the way, this did not stem from a punishment. I actually have to give my ex husband the credit for this, because he started it. But we are now in week four of a device detox with our kids, Lucy and Smith, and they don't have phones, but they do have iPads, and they do have Apple Watches. And even though they had all the limits the screen time blah blah blah, it was still we were still finding that they were like getting really addicted to being on and around these devices, so we totally took them away cold tur Rs. So watches, there really are no rules. They can have them on all the time. There's really no apps on there other than they can text and call us. Which actually I kind of missed the watches because it's nice to know where they are when they're like out and playing in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: But you miss them. They still have the watches though, but or no.
Speaker 4: They still have them.
Speaker 2: Dad has them though right now, so I don't even have them in my possession. Same thing with the iPads, and the iPads had it's called downtime, so they shut off from eight to eight eight pm to eight am, and they also both got an hour and a half of screen time a day, and so once that screen time limit is reached, basically you can't really do much on that iPad anyway.
Speaker 3: That's pretty wild.
Speaker 1: By the way, You'll have to either show me or have your ex husband show me how to do that. And I can put it on my wife's.
Speaker 3: From TikTok me.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I feel like I need it for Instagram.
Speaker 2: It's it's been really nice, and they've been, you know, just more engaged around the house and playing outside and doing other things and like playing with toys and building legos, and it's actually been great.
Speaker 4: It's been great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We also nixed YouTube as well, which on the TV, which was an issue anyway.
Speaker 4: It bit me in.
Speaker 2: The ass yesterday because Maya Lucy, who's in sixth grade, was homesick from school and she's at that age where I have somebody who comes in the morning because my husband Wes gets up early for work and goes to work, so I have somebody that gets the kids up and ready for school and drives them both to school, but she leaves around nine nine thirty. So Lucy I was like, well, she's just gonna sleep all day. But she was going to be home for a couple of hours by herself yesterday. Normally this is not that big of a deal because she has her watch and her iPad and she can reach out to me if she needs something, or God forbid, there's an emergency.
Speaker 4: Well, no iPad, no watch.
Speaker 2: Like I said, her dad still has all of those items at his house. So I'm like, I cannot leave her home alone with no way of getting in touch with me. So Wes had to grab one of our old do you guys have like dusty old iPhones that are just in a drawer somewhere, and he had to dig one out, fix it so that it worked properly, turn it on, charge it, and that's what we gave her for yesterday in case.
Speaker 4: She needed to reach out to me.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, this little device detox that we were doing it really got me good yesterday because I actually needed it.
Speaker 1: You know what you needed there actually more so than that device that you had to go find the good old fashioned home phone, which they say that they're coming back. They said that they went away about a year and a half two years ago, and now they're coming back because people are starting to realize, especially with what happened yesterday where everything Amazon and all went away, people had no way to do certain things. So in some places there was people that you know, we're stranded with that. But now also like with security stuff, people are worried that they're homes they're putting like robbers are coming to the people's homes and doing like cell phone blocking or something like that.
Speaker 5: That's at the loop. That is what's she saying. When she saw that os iPhone, she was.
Speaker 4: Like, we can I have this even after being sick.
Speaker 2: I'm like no, Well, she just wants a phone so bad And I'm mean mom because she's not getting a fun So I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk about First off, I want to ask you a question. Have you ever had have you ever had something you know like this by chaining the ass Like you.
Speaker 4: Go all right, no more TV for a week, and then you're like I.
Speaker 3: Want to watch TV. Yeah, and you got to you got to live by their rule.
Speaker 1: I want to know, tell me about the device uh detox thing?
Speaker 3: So they only are allowed how much time again.
Speaker 2: Well right now, zero but normally an hour and half and then it shuts off.
Speaker 1: So an hour and a half and that's usually used from the time they come home from school till whenever.
Speaker 2: They could use it whenever, because it doesn't the time. It doesn't have to be an hour and a half if they if they.
Speaker 1: Have school work and their schoolwork requires them have to be online, does that include some of that hour and a half or no?
Speaker 2: So if they Smith is in second grade, he doesn't have any school work on the computer at home, Okay, if Lucy does. She has a device that was given to her by school. It was like a chromebook or whatever it's called. She has a computer, yeah, that she uses, but it's only that she can only have a time cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, all right, which, by the way, Lucy will learn how to hack that, because Luke figured that thing out right away. And you say that this has actually been a thing that has been positive. What do you see in your kids since they've been doing this.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I said, they are playing outside, they're playing with their friends, they're doing other stuff in the house.
Speaker 3: Are they Are they missing it at all?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think there has to be there has to be like we have to introduce it back and I have to talk to their dad about it, because for Lucy, for example, she doesn't have a phone, and so it was a way for like she she went to school last week and she was like, Mom, I didn't know that all the girls in my class were wearing I don't even know it was like pink or something red. They were like wearing something specific one day, and she felt really left out because she wasn't able to go on there before she went to bed to just like catch up with everybody and see And I'm like, okay, that does kind of stink. Yeah, So there has to be a happy medium do it somewhere. But the detax in itself has been really nice because I had noticed that they like, their behavior totally changes when you're like, okay, it's time to put away the iPad or whatever.
Speaker 1: Not to be not on Lucy's side, because I'm always on Lucy's side, But wouldn't that mean that she needs to use her time wisely? Don't use so don't empty the tank on your device time? Uh, and understand that you got to use it wisely so that you.
Speaker 2: That's when it missed the that's it's but she's had zero so she hasn't been her own month because we're doing the detox.
Speaker 1: No, I no detox, But I said, you said you're eliminating it to like an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: That was before. That's what it was before she had an hour and a half of time.
Speaker 1: And then okay, wait a second, so device detox. When you say device detox, I thought it was the hour and a half a prison there, dad has.
Speaker 4: How long are the I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it was supposed to just be a week. And then Andrew, their dad, was like, do you want to do it for a week. I was like yeah, sure, he said, it's been really great for us. I'm like, okay, now we're at a month.
Speaker 3: Don't you think the hour and a half thing is enough of a detox?
Speaker 1: Not that I'm trying to judge to your guys' parenting, but an hour and a half for these for your kids.
Speaker 4: Well, a detex isn't forever. It's a detox.
Speaker 2: So I think a month has been good and I do think that they should get them back next week. Yeah, what happened in his house happens in his house.
Speaker 4: My house is different.
Speaker 3: I could do it, bro, I couldn't. Well, I can with Josie.
Speaker 5: Period, even Joe. Let Joe do whatever the hell as long is he bringing as home? I don't care. You can watch poor.
Speaker 3: Jannon.
Speaker 1: Do you find yourself on your stuff less? Uh, knowing that your kids can't be on their phone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well at home, yes, because they call.
Speaker 4: Me right out.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so what do you do?
Speaker 1: Do you sneak into the bathroom and then and take like extra duty times or what.
Speaker 6: Do you do?
Speaker 3: Yes? I close in my closet, Yes, yeah, do you do?
Speaker 4: It is hard?
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's definitely tough. Like I said, I think it was needed, but it's not going to be forever by anything.
Speaker 4: They just come in. We have no locks in our house on anything.
Speaker 2: H bathroom nothing, no locks, it's such an old house or nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hell, last second, Hannah wants to bring something up about roadblocks. What's that, Hannah?
Speaker 7: I just wanted to say, I don't know how no one's talking about the Chris Hanson investigation and roadblocks because of all the crazy stuff that's going on in roadblocks right now. I think I think you guys should like do it dirty on it?
Speaker 8: What's going on there?
Speaker 7: So there's like no real age restriction. They'll have like people there was a cybersecurity professional who made an account as an quote unquote eight year old and they had like these lobbies of like beds and pools and like secret rooms you could go into and.
Speaker 3: You blank my blank and blank crazy. Wow, that's amazing. Chris Hanson's the man. I love him. He lives in town, you know that, in Bloomfield Hills. Yeah, I can't control my horning level.
Speaker 1: We should get Chris Hanson on to talk about that, Lydia. I'll hook you up with a contact for him. Caitlin, what's going on, Kaitlyn?
Speaker 6: Hey? Yeah, So we have a thirteen year old son and he's currently grounded, and I swear it's been like so refreshing just having him not have his Like he's coming into the living room, he's watching TV with us, Like he went to the park and went for a walk, like just willingly to do these things. It's been so nice just not having his phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're doing his code outside though, like it's about to give freezing.
Speaker 6: Can no more go to Greg Grant and go play basketball?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: At any point though, you think you'll get sick of him, Like at any point you're gonna sit there and go, this little bastard's around me.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Probably what's up, Robert High, how's it going? Good morning? What's going on?
Speaker 9: Not a whole lot, just driving to get the kids.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you that Robert Shannon's device Detox is made for when she comes in here, she's like she's doing crack with her her iPad and her phone. You should see her. She got both in both hands. It's like, white's up. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: No, So my kids and my ex wife we got divorced, and uh, the kids of phones s on contact them.
Speaker 8: But we have.
Speaker 9: It to where we can physically.
Speaker 10: Set their time on their phones on like phone time, Like we can set it for like thirty minutes to an hour and a half to six hours, but I normally haven't.
Speaker 9: Set for maybe forty maybe like an hour and a half maybe hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah in the moment, yeah, of phone.
Speaker 9: Time, and that's all you get. After that, their phone immediately locks and the only thing they can do is make a phone call.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad that everything.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad my parents couldn't even figure out how to put the time on the VCR because I would never my parents would never be able to do this because they'd never be able to figure out how they do this stuff over being able to put timers on stuff.
Speaker 3: What's going on? Joe, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 3: What's happening.
Speaker 1: I'm just hoping my wife's not listening to this topic because I'm going to be on a device detox after this thing's done.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 11: So we limit our two kids one fifteen one seven to forty five minutes a day, but they can earn extra time with chores soefically, and there were fifteen minutes. If they do dishes, they get twenty minutes. If they help clean up the table after dinner, they can get fifteen to twenty minutes. And that's how they can earn the extra time, and we do it for the next day.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 11: So like if they help on Monday on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: He basically they got slave labor to get extra time. These kids aren't being forced to do all your dirty work. Huh, mow the lawns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't let.
Speaker 11: Them do all that much, but yeah, and it it works.
Speaker 3: I actually like them an.
Speaker 11: Incentive for something that especially coming into winter. Like our kids once play hockey ones in football were always running on the ghost. They don't get a whole lot of screaming.
Speaker 1: Question anyway, do your kids wash dishes? Because I was talking to a buddy of mine who's got little kids. And when I say little kids, I'm talking like twelve years old, thirteen years old, they're not really little. And we were talking he's he said that his kids never learned how to do a dish before. They don't do kids know how to do dishes anymore. They know how to rinse it and put it in the dishes.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so the fifteen year old to wash them and the seven year old to drive and put them away.
Speaker 3: It's so work, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: I said to him, I go teach them how to do it, because I'm telling you, you don't learn how to do stuff like that or do the laundry.
Speaker 3: Like, teach them how to do the laundry.
Speaker 1: My kids went away to college, and I'm telling you my first one, Joe, he had to call every five minutes how to do something by Luke. Actually, man, Luke did our taxes for us. What's up Mike.
Speaker 8: Good morning, guys, Good morning. Back when, so back when my daughter was like from two to four years old, she was an iPad kid wholeheartedly. That's all she did was playing an iPad. Watch YouTube kids about chapter four. We took that thing away. It is so crazy how much no screen time changes your child. Yeah, she's so interactive, wants to play with us all the time, do game nights, movie nights. Doesn't have tantrums anymore.
Speaker 3: That's cool. That's nice to know.
Speaker 1: That's also birth control because now she's with you all the time, you guys can never fornicate together.
Speaker 3: I think it's so smart.
Speaker 1: I'm really honestly, I'm really proud of Shannon and Andrew for doing this because I will tell you this as parents and obviously their step parents, because I think that it's a task on you to do this and follow through with it. I mean, there's one thing to take the stuff away from them, but it's also a task on then trying to explain to them, all right, here's what we're going to do now as a family. And it's so easy to go to a restaurant and just hand a kid up freaking I go to a restaurants sometimes and I look at a table full of you know, a mom and a dad and a couple of kids, and those kids have not talked to their parents once the entire time that they're at that restaurant.
Speaker 2: Now, let me say, I do kind of miss that because it is nice to get some time.
Speaker 12: But yeah, what's up, Elizabeth, Hi, good morning morning, first time, long time.
Speaker 3: It's good to have you on.
Speaker 1: I hope you're not nervous, but it's good to have you listening and calling for the first time.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 6: No, So, I I wish I could have my husband do a phone talk.
Speaker 4: It's horrible how often to.
Speaker 6: The point to where my kids are like, Dad, get off your phone.
Speaker 7: I know constantly I need I need him.
Speaker 5: To do a phone d talk.
Speaker 12: It would be wonderful, Elizabeth.
Speaker 1: The best thing in the world are we don't podcast This week the podcast I do with my wife. The conversation is about how disappointed my son was that I took a phone call in the middle of a conversation with him, and Chelsea basically saying to me, you're losing even your grown kids because you're on your phone so much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: A Yeah, the kids realized that I just am not paying attention and it is I don't know what it is, man, I'm telling you there's something about that damn thing where you're.
Speaker 2: Just conditioned and addicted and well, it's it's like it's involuntary at this point for me to pick up my phone and check if I have texts.
Speaker 1: Well, and you feel me, You feel like you're missing out on something and you guess what, there's nothing there for you. You're looking for nothing.
Speaker 8: You never are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, every time you get on Facebook, it's like it's just the same stuff over and over and we always reach them. We're like, you're not missing anything. Just put it down, give us like twenty minutes.
Speaker 10: That's all.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go to Shannon her house and I'm gonna be parented by her for a week. And you're and your your husband's going over to her ex husband's house.
Speaker 4: Go to my excess house. It's way more fun.
Speaker 1: In line, I hear you just got custody of Elizabeth's husband for a week.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll talk to you later.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thanks, have a good day, guys.