Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk, Winner Meetings Edit yar now Everyone's favorite Dodger Insight David Bassett.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Massey live from the Sports at LA studios with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We do have a full board of calls that are winning for you to fill up here eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Last night our first show since the parade, our first show of the Winter Meetings, and Brian Cranston uh was our guest for forty minutes. He took up the entire show and certainly had a few interesting trade ideas. If you want to respond to some of his free agent ideas or trade ideas from last night, now's the time. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Just got done recapping Day two of the Winter Meetings on Sports and at LA with John Hartungue and Jerry Harriston Junior and last night John asked both of us, what's your dream as far as the Dodgers signing or trading for a player? During the winter meetings, and Jerry Harriston Junior, to his credit, said Edwin Diaz. Now when he said that last night, I thought it was a dream. I didn't believe that could happen. I had not heard that the Dodgers were in on Edwin Diaz. But the Dodgers, credit to Andrew Friedman and Diaz's representatives at Wasserman, kept this very close to the vest because this did not just happen overnight. I was told by a very good source with the Dodgers that they had been talking to Edwin Diaz for quite some time and we're able to nail down a three year, sixty nine million dollar contract in the last forty eight hours. Here it seemed like Diaz going into free agency, from what I was told, was set on four years, having a four year contract, but the Dodgers were able to show him the benefits of a shorter term contract but also becoming the highest paid reliever by year in baseball history, So that was I'm sure attractive to him. Also, the Dodgers took advantage of the fact that the Mets kind of disrespected Edwin Das. He felt disrespected. Talking to people close to Edwin Das he was not happy about the fact that they signed Devin Williams and never really communicated with him. From what I have learned, the Mets never formally gave Edwin Diaz an offer until the last twenty four hours, So it was the Dodgers that were courting das tree him like he should be treated one of the best relievers available on the free agent market, and that was part of the attractiveness to the Dodgers. And not to mention back to back World Series championships, and also the fact that his brother Alexis Diaz was part of the organization last year and relayed good things to him. And let's not forget the strong ties of Puerto Ricans, especially Puerto Rican baseball players, small knit but very strong group. Do you know who was who is you know, basically one of the most proud Puerto Ricans out there. Yeah, it's three times World Series champion KEYK a Hernandez. You're telling me that Edwin Diaz decided to leave the Mets and sign with the Dodgers without speaking to KEYK a Hernandez, who I expect to be back with the Dodgers next year. He cares about the Dodgers three time World Series champion, a big part of this back to back run. Here, you're telling me to believe that Key K a Hernandez and Edwin Diaz have not spoken during this process about signing with the Dodgers, with it being as close as it was, and it came down to the Dodgers and Mets. I had heard about a week ago. It was Mets Braves and then Mets Blue Jays Braves. Nobody ever mentioned the Dodgers. They did a great job of being stealth in their pursuit of Edwin Diaz. And I'm sure many of you are as excited as many of the players that I exchanged texts with today having Edwin Diaz as their closer. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Now, not only did the Dodgers sign Edwin Diaz to a three year, sixty nine million dollar contract, but they also said, you know what qualifying offer be damned. Andrew Freeman was on the MLB Network today and acknowledged that there is a cost to signing a player with the qualifying offer attached to him, and with the Dodgers being well over the luxury tax threshold, they not only will pay a luxury tax for being over where they're at right now, but along with Diaz having a qualifying offer attached to him, the Dodgers are going to lose their second and fifth highest draft selections in the twenty twenty six draft and will lose a million dollars from their international bonus pool. That just shows you the commitment of Mark Walter to want to win again a three peat and basically the urgency that the Dodgers have from Andrew Freeman to Mark Walter. After signing show Heo Time, who deferred the majority of his seven hundred million dollar contract. He was not deferring that for the Dodgers to hold on to draft picks and international money poll. He was deferring that for the Dodgers to spend every single off season, and that's what they have done to build a winner. After the Dodgers won in twenty twenty four in New York, Shojo Tani told people only nine more I was told after the Dodgers won in Toronto. On the field in the middle of the celebration, sho Heo Tani was telling his teammates and coaching staff and trending staff only eight more to go. This guy expects to win or be in the World Series every single season, and he demands that from the Dodgers. And that's the reason why he signed with the Dodgers, because that's the Dodgers' ultimate goal as well. So all of this goes into play. When you say, you know what, we are over the highest luxury tax threshold, and yeah, the Mets attached a qualifying offer to Edwin Diaz. We're gonna say, you know what, that doesn't mean anything to us. And Andrew Friedman was classy about it. He wasn't flipping about it. He acknowledged that there is some pain and signing a player that has turned down a qualifying offer and has those things attached to him. But it just shows that the Dodgers believe in their player development, that they can draft players in the later rounds and find some good ones. And in baseball, you've seen it time and time again. First round draft picks, I would say, at least half of them don't pan out. And then you hear guys that were drafted in the fifth or sixth round that turn out to be All stars and sometimes Hall of famers. So to me, draft picks and where you pick in baseball, it does mean something, but it doesn't mean as much as it would in the NFL or NBA drafts. So Edwin Diaz is going to be a Dodger. It's not official, but it is going to be official, and that just means good things for the rest of the Dodger bullpen. And we'll get into what it means for Tanner, Scott and Blake Trining and all those guys. But do we are we really talking about that? The Dodgers have Edwin Diaz and Dodger Stadium is going to be electric in the ninth inning of games, with Timmy trumpet blaring, with Edwin Diaz coming out of the bullpen gates. It's going to be the biggest scene for relievers since Kennley Jansen came out for three hundred and fifty saves to California love or majority of them. At Dodgers Stadium. We have three lines open eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy. We are going to get to your phone calls next and Jack Harris is going to check in from the LA Times from Orlando at the winter meetings to we had more information on Daz and what else, the Dodgers may be cooking up out there. Big night, Big night for Dodger Talk. Thanks to Brian Cranston last night. Thanks to you for tuning in again tonight, and we'll get to your phone calls next right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Ah, this is giving me chills. Edwin Diaz is a Dodger. Can you imagine a sellout crowd at Dodger Stadium, the led lights flashing blue and white, and everybody on their feet. When Timmy Trumpet plays and Edwin Diaz comes running out of those Dodger State out of that Dodger Stadium bullpen, it will be electric. This is Dodger Talk. David vass with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We will have another Dodger Talk for you tomorrow night at seven o'clock. Andre Ethier is so excited about the Dodger signing Edwin Diaz he wants to join the show tomorrow night. So we'll hear from Andre Ehier, who actually told me he sat next to Edwin Diaz during the most recent Major League Baseball Awards show. We'll let you know tomorrow night with Andre Ehier and what his pitch may have been to Edwin Diaz for the Dodgers. So Ethier will join us tomorrow night, and then to close out Winter Meetings week, we will have another show for you at seven o'clock and tomorrow night we are going to triple up on TV and radio Sports Net LA Access Sportsnet. Dodgers Winter Meetings coverage continues tomorrow night at six o'clock. I'll join John Hartungue and Jerry Harriston Junior and then we'll do Dodger Talk live from the SNLA studios at seven o'clock. And look, there are so many rumors with so many different names. If you just want to throw a name out at me, I will tell you what I know. But as far as this reliever market goes, the Dodgers had interest in Raaling Glacias, but he wanted to stay on the East coast. Good luck with the Braves. The Dodgers had interest in Devin Williams and they were willing to go three years. He wanted to pitch on the East coast. Good luck with the Mets, but the Dodgers had the last laugh, Mets, you won, Devin Williams go ahead, We'll take Edwin Diaz, and Edwin Diaz said goodbye to Queen's and said hello to the best coast Los Angeles. Let's start with David in paramount. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, David, Hey, how's it going? David?
Speaker 3: First of all, thank you for taking my call. First, I just want to say, uh, Berando Venezuela is a Hall of Famer before we get anything. He is a Hall of Famer and he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: So I just want to get that out there.
Speaker 3: So second though is, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what I'll say about that, David, David before where you go on? You know what I'll say about that. To me, yes, he's a Hall of Famer. But you know what means more to me caring about Fernando is that he was alive to see his number thirty four retired at Dodger Stadium. To me, that means more than him being elected to the Hall of Fame, because he's not here to celebrate it, but he was here to celebrate his number being retired at Dodgers Stadium. So to me, I cherish that more than some group of owners, players, saying whether or not he's a Hall of Famer. To me, that means more because he was alive to witness it.
Speaker 3: I could incur. And I'm glad the Dodgers broke that tradition of only Hall of famers that's in the Baseball Hall of Fame to have the number retired at Dodge Stadium. I'm glad they broke that for him because he is a Hall of Famer. But to get to the need of be up tonight, yes, I'm glad Edwin he is a the Dodger Timmy Trump Its coming out of the bullpen. It kind of takes Tennis not out of that position from the closer, which he was never really accustomed to. He never did it in Miami, he never did it in San Diego. He did a little bit of it, but the Dodgers kind of made him doing that and go into that position of being the full time closer. So I'm hoping the setup role sets them up for a better twenty twenty six. And I agree what you said, you know a glass he is going back to the Braves, a team that's on the decline. Devin William going to the Mets, the team that's sporadically out of control with the rumors that they got going over there. So thank you DV for taking my call. Go Dodgers and we can't wait for three Pete.
Speaker 2: Love it. David, thank you for the phone call at this point in time with the Dodgers being back to back World Series champions. If everything is equal, if you're trying to pursue a player and that player doesn't choose the Dodgers, to me, that says everything about the player and you don't want them on the team. If everything's being equal, and it says a lot about Edwin Diaz leaving a team that he has spent his entire career with and jumping from the East Coast to the West Coast and joining the back to back World Series champions. That says everything to me about Edwin Diaz. Let's go out to Long Beach, Courtney. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Courtney's.
Speaker 1: Time, David, how are you doing? First time caller, longtime listener, oh thank you, and longtime champagne in your face watcher. So what I gotta say is two things, you know. Number one, of course, I'm focused on our Dodgers here, right Canner Scott's era last time I checked, and granted it's been a while because he was not on a lot of the postseason roster. I think he was left off of the al most of it, and his era last time I checked was probably close to five. It was horrible that being said, what are we gonna do money wise to eat this guy's contract? Where is he gonna go? Do we plan on putting him as a starter. Is he gonna be middle of the rotation? What's that look like?
Speaker 2: And then well, he's not going He's not going anywhere at Courtney. The Dodgers and I kind of from Dave Roberts to Andrew Freeman to a lot of guys in the front office believe that Tanner Scott cannot have a worse year than he had last year, and they expect him to bounce back and be closer to the Tanner Scott that they thought they signed from the Padres a couple of years ago. And I believe him, you know, not having the burden of being the closer, being a guy that can pitch in the seventh inning, the eighth inning against lefties and Edwin Diaz having the lights on him will take a lot of pressure off of Tanner Scott because I kind of talking to Tanner it kind of felt like he let the contract weigh him down, and you can't do that as a player. The way professional sports is set up, you get paid for what you did, not what you're going to do or what you're doing right now. That's just the way it's at least in baseball it's set up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I guess my second question is or not question, more of a statement, we should all be glad that Steve Cohen is not our owner because this man is just making horrendous baseball decisions from the top on down. He had, you know, Wan Soda, that's another conversation. But why would you let this person go if you had any any fight in the in the least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they were expecting that they could sign Devin Williams and sign Edwin Diaz, but you got to keep the lines of communication open with your star closer. You can't treat him like some guy that is is not part of your organization. And from what I understand Edwin Diaz did feel slighted by the Mets and just how they did not really put the full court press to keep him up until the last twenty four to forty eight hours thanks to the phone call. Courtney called back anytime. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The big news of the day, the Dodgers reportedly have agreed to a contract with Edwin Diaz for three years and sixty nine million dollars. Not only are they going to pay Edwin Diaz, they're going to pay a luxury tax, and they also are going to lose their first and fifth highest draft picks along with being penalized losing a million dollars in international pool money for being a team that is over the furthest luxury tax and signing a player that had a qualifying offer attached to him. But obviously that means something. But it doesn't mean as much to the Dodgers as it would let's say the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Dodgers are in it to win it now. They are not satisfied with winning back to back championships. They want to join the Yankees from twenty five years ago. Not only being repeat champions, but he champions. You heard Mark Walter at the parade. That wasn't just lip service. His actions speak louder than words. He wants to keep this thing going. O'tani has set the tone by deferring as much money as he did when he signed here for the Dodgers. The expectation from him is for the Dodgers to continue to go out there and sign players and not rebuild, but reload every off season. And the Dodgers had a couple of things in mind going into this sason, finding a high leverage reliever. Yes, they had interest in Ray sale Iglesias for a short term contract. I believe they had some interest in Robert Suarez from the Padres in a one or two year deal, But with Edwin Diaz still being out there and him wanting to be a Dodger, he was probably the only reliever currently on the market that the Dodgers would have given a three year contract too. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open if you have heard any rumors connecting the Dodgers to a certain player or players. There are so many things out there, and the Dodgers have so many ways to pivot to improve this team. Whether it's signing a guy like Bo Bisheed or trading for a player like Brendan Donovan, or signing Harrison Bader. There are so many different ways the Dodgers can move the pieces, and you know they're not done. But I believe that the next move for the Dodgers is probably a trade. And the Dodgers and Cardinals to me, seem like a perfect trade partner with each other. For Brendan Donovan, who was an All Star last year, Dave Roberts managed him for the National League All Star Team, so he has some idea about what this guy is about. He could play second, he could play third, he could play left field, and we know the Dodgers love versatility. The Cardinals are looking for young, controllable players and specifically pitchers because they are rebuilding. And heinm Bloom, who was the Red Sox GM that trade and Mookie Betts to the Dodgers obviously has a relationship with Andrew Friedman, and it just seems like they're a really good trade partner match. Let's go out to Las Vegas since City, Sergio, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing.
Speaker 5: Hey, David, thank you for taking in my call.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: It's another exciting day being a Dodger fan. But it just goes to show you we got as Dodger fans, we got to be grateful for Mark Walter and the Googenheim Group. And it all started with the show. Hey, that was a I mean, the greatest ballplayer on the planet, but that was an.
Speaker 6: Amazing businesses business decision to sign him, David, And this is all, you know, it's all rolling out with Andrew Freeman in the front office, and like you just said, you know they can they can sign players.
Speaker 5: They can you know, they can use their prospects uh to go out and get people and then or also work from their major league roster. Edwin Diaz fantastic signing. I guess we get that. We give you assist to mister Clutch underneath here and maybe even Alexis Das maybe his brother said, Hey, I enjoyed the short time that I was there. You know, talk to the Dodgers would be a great experience, and maybe that helped out. Like my question though, DV is now you brought up Henner Scott. I was talking to some friends earlier thinking like would the Dodgers eat some of that contract and trade him in a package. But you bought up a good point there with the previous caller. But what do we do Veski d Bryer or blessed the banda? What do we do with the surplus? And then you just mentioned the Donovan possibility? Is that what you're what your thought is the next move possibly as a trade?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a That's what I feel like. The Dodgers, who are they gonna sign? I mean you could. It feels like Harrison Bater is going to be on the market for a while. If that's a guy that you know, if you can't make a trade to improve your outfield, then you can go out and sign him. And the Dodgers had some interest in him when the trade deadline came around last year with the Twins. But you know, I just feel like Brendan Donovan makes a lot of sense. I know people keep talking about Lars Nowpar like he's Ken Griffy junior, but he's not. I've talked to pictures that have faced him. He's not a guy that they fear. He's a good outfielder, But to me, Brendan Donovan is a guy and look, I'm I'm a big Bo Baschett fan. I believe Bob Boschett can really fit with this Dodger team and be great with the Dodgers. But is that too much? I don't believe it is too much. But the question and the balance for Andrew Friedman is not how Bo Bischett fits in twenty twenty seven and beyond. But is it the right timing to sign him now? Would that disrupt or make you know, other players uncomfortable that you know, this guy's gonna take my job? And that's how does he fit? How does he fit with Tom Yedman, with Kim, with all these guys, Where do you play him this year? All of those themes come into play, even though he would be a great heir to Maximunsey at third base, down the line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So do you think that the possibility of Tucker and a reunion with Belly is completely out of the question.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say out of the question, but I would say doubtful. Sergio, I would say doubtful.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, as long as we get some sort of combination with Donovan, get an outfielder, just solidify one more spot with flexibility and the versatility, as you said, it's tremendous. Let's get another outfielder and let's roll three pet baby.
Speaker 2: Thanks David, all right, Sergio, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll check in with Jack Harris, who is in Orlando at the Winter Meetings. Jack does a great job for the LA Times. We'll check in with him next. Get the latest from Orlando, as it's ten thirty on the East Coast right now, and the Dodgers making, as John Hartungue likes to say, a big splash. They signed Edwin Diaz to a three year, sixty nine million dollar contract. All the latest on Dodger Talk next on a five to seventy LA Sports five seventy LA Sports. We we'll get back to your phone calls in just a moment, but we are join right now by the best beat writer on the Dodgers beat these days. He doesn't for the La Times. You could follow him by Jack Harris on X. He is in Orlando at the Winter Meetings in the lobby, working the lobby and that is the one and only Jack Harris. Jack, thanks a lot for the time, and I guess the Dodgers gave you something to write about today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so much for thinking this was going to be a boring winner, or that they weren't going to make a big contract for a reliever. Those were all the things that they were signaling, you know, earlier this offseason about what they were going to try to do. Even yesterday when Dave Roberts spoke to the reporters here, he said, you know, I don't think we necessarily need a big splash. That said, obviously the bullpen was the place they needed to upgrade the most. They really needed somebody they could trust in the ninth inning, and there had been some signs over the last couple of weeks that they were maybe willing to be more aggressive for a reliever than they had on you know, they had a lot of interest in Devin Williams, even as his bidding got up and to multi level or multi year kind of deals. They were interested in Robert Suarez and then Edwin Diaz. You know, kind of his market developed in the way that the Dodgers like to be around, which is on a somewhat shorter deal. You know, three years is so lot for a reliever, especially in his thirties, but only three years. You know, they were happy to give him a record aav of twenty three million a year, and they get a guy who, over the last decade now has more strikeouts than any other relief pitcher, has the second most saves, behind only Kenley Janssen. And really, since Kenley gives them a solidified option in the ninth innings, they try to go for a third World Series next year.
Speaker 2: Jack, the way it kind of feels when you're at the Winter meetings before these type of signings really break, did you get any sense that this was going to happen today? Did you start to hear a buzz in the lobby out there in Orlando?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the only thing that had changed to a day was this sense that, you know, the Mets life with a lot of the players they've been involved, and you've seen this with Pete Alonzo too, you saw it with Kyle Schwarber, like they're they're being somewhat conservative with their offers, and if they weren't going to go to a four or five year deal for edwind as then it was gonna make it much more realistic than another team like the Dodgers could probably get him on a three year deal, even if it was for a lot of aav But you know, still, I think even even as of yesterday, you know, the thinking was that that someone like him was just going to be a little more costly and a volatile relief role than what the Dodgers were gonna want to pay. You know, they did have maybe not regrets, but you know, after the way last offseason played out, giving Tanner Scott as much money as they did, even bringing back Blake trying to on a multi year deal, and seeing how those guys struggled, it was a reminder that, you know, giving a lot of money and a lot of years to relief pitchers can be a dicey thing. But if there's somebody that has the kind of track record that you could trust, it is Edwin Diaz. Again, he's been really consistent for a really long time now and showed this past year that, you know, even after that knee injury that knocked him out a couple of years ago, he's still right up there as one of the most dominant pitchers in the game. So It was definitely a surprise, but I think, you know, when you look back at it in hindsight, with some of the stuff that Dodgers had done, with their interest in other pictures and the way that his market developed, it does kind of make sense that if they were going to make a big move, it would kind of happen in this way.
Speaker 2: Do you believe he was at the top of their list or do you believe that he was one of a handful of guys they were interested in. Do you do you feel like this materialized in the last week or so. How do you see the priority Edwin Diaz was when they set out this offseason?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I mean they were interested in other guys, right, like they were interested in Ryce ell Iglesias on probably a one year deal before he went back to the Braids. You know, they were in the running for a long time with Devin Williams, like I said, even as it was becoming clear he was the need a multi year kind of all offer. So I'm obviously you know the Dodgers, Andrew Friedman's saying, if there's a top player that's out there, they want to be in position to try and go and get them. So I'm sure that Edwin d As is somebody who they knew coming into this winter. I mean, you know, you look back in hindsight now like it probably helped a little bit that they had his brother on the team last year, who you know, was pretty complimentary of his time there. So obviously this is someone that fit a need really well, and I'm sure was on their target list. But I don't think probably until you know, this week or the last couple of weeks, that just it was going to They were going to have to wait and see how his market developed and if he was going to get a four or a five year deal, It's probably less likely they would have done something like this, but three years, you know, with with how much of a need that was. And again, the I think the track record in the consistency with him is a big part of this. Yeah, it's it's kind of why it all aligned here on the way it did.
Speaker 2: Jack Harris is in Orlando at the winter meetings. The Dodgers have agreed on a contract with closer Edwin Diaz, and this isn't where the Dodgers are done. Jack. There's been a lot of talk that Teoscar Hernandez is available in trades. Have you heard any more about that out there in Orlando?
Speaker 4: On the record yesterday, Dave Roberts and Brandon Gomes were both tried to downplay that. You know, Brandon Gome said he thought it was unlikely that the team would trade him. He doesn't really anticipate that. But again, you know, they said similar things about Gavin Luck's last offseason. So yeah, I think with somebody like him, there would probably need to be the right string of moves for something like that to happen, because look, they do like they need an outfielder right now. If you're gonna get rid of him, then that need only becomes more. And for as shaky as his defense was in right field last year, he still had some really important moments in the postseason. He's sell an important voice in that clubhouse. So I don't think the Dodgers are are I don't think it's something where they're actively trying to offload him. But if they wind up in a situation where and maybe the said WANDAZ thing plays into it, you know, where maybe they could go out and make another big signing or taking on more money and need to maybe kind of restructure what their payroll looks like a little bit. You know, that's one guy you could consider, because there aren't a lot of great right handed outfield bats on the trade market. You could probably get something back for him. But you know, I think in general, for the rest of the team, now you know it's going to center around still trying to find an outfielder. I still think the trademarket there probably makes a little bit more sense, even if you know they remain interested in Cody Bellinger and Harrison Bader and some other guys like that, so they're not done. But again, I think the fact you saw them be willing to spend this much money today on the closer spot takes care of a really big need and probably puts them in that position now where they can be even more selective as they go through the rest of the winner, knowing that the biggest they needed to get done this winter they have.
Speaker 2: All Right, So you talk about the trademarket to improve their outfield, the Cardinals and Dodgers seem to be a pretty good trade partner. What are the chances anything change the way people are talking about the Cardinals shopping Brendan Donovan and Lars nootbar.
Speaker 4: I mean, nothing's changed, they are shopping them. You know, the Cardinals are one of the few teams that have made it pretty clear they're trying to offload players. They're not really trying to contend next season. You know, they're going into a reset mode. I think the question for the Dodgers is going to be whether it's with the Cardinals or the Red Sox or maybe even the Astros who have, you know, some outfield surplus and are looking for pitching. How comfortable are the Dodgers dealing away maybe some of those young arms that are going to be needed to provide important depth this year. You know, coming off the kind of postseason the Dodgers just had, you know that you're probably not going to be getting thirty plus starts out of Blake Snell and Yoshinobu Yamamoto again or Roki Sasaki. You're certainly not shohe Otani, who Dave Roberts said already is probably gonna get something more like seven or eight days off between his starts next season. So, you know, the Dodgers have the pieces to get a trade done. They still have you know, what is a top three maybe the best farm system in baseball by a lot of metrics, and they have that valuable asset of young pitching. The question is going to be, can they find a move that they feel like improves their lineup enough that makes it worth subtracting from some of that young pitching depth. That could be really important as they try to get through this next year.
Speaker 2: In Jack Harris's opinion, who fits the best with the Dodgers out of these three players Brendan Donovan, Lars Noubar or Jaron Duran.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think out of those three, Brendan Donovan just because of the positional versatility. Obviously, the Dodgers love those kinds of players. I think, especially as you look at next year's team, you know Tom Edmond's going to be a little bit of a question mark coming back from this ankle, at least early in the year. At second base, Max Munsey has not been able to stay healthy for the last couple of years. At third base, you still don't know exactly what you're going to do in the outfield. So if you can get somebody that can give you a little extra coverage at a lot of different spots like that, it helps. And it's the kind of it's the way the Dodgers have liked to build the rosters in the past. He's a guy that profiles that way while still getting you some production with the bats. So of those three and I think of really, out of a lot of the names on the trade market, it's somebody like that who you know, if they can find someone who can also fill in in different spots on the infield, that's probably going to be their preference.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question for you, Jack Harris, who is in Orlando at the Winter meetings, bo Bishett to me, out of all the free agency fits the Dodgers the best. Have you heard any buzz out there that the Dodgers and Bishett have had any sort of contact. There was a report that Bishett had a zoom meeting with the Red Side. Anything like that transpired between Bishett's camp and the Dodgers, not.
Speaker 4: That I have heard, and not that's been reported. He is an interesting guy because, you know, getting back to the positional versatility that the Dodgers have, they could fit somebody like that, especially if they wanted to go out and make a big addition to their lineup on the free agent market. Now, I think there's a couple guys that fit in that boat, you know. I think Cody Bellinger is somebody that, in a different way also kind of fits in that the Dodgers have expressed some interest in. And I think also with the chet's market, it's still a little slow developing right now, as you know, the Blue Jays figure out how aggressively they're going to go after Kyle Tucker and then what happens if he can't go back to Toronto. So I wouldn't roll that out as a possibility, especially again, like with Edwin Diaz, if Bobashett can be had for instead of eight years, like five or six years, or just been a different kind of structure that gives the Dodgers a little bit more long term financial flexibility, I wouldn't. I would say never say never there. But for now, you know, the team still is pretty content, I think, especially with the lineup and the position group it has. I don't think they're going to go crazy overspending to really remake that group necessarily. But again, he's a top player. He's somebody that you know, obviously you saw it close last year how dynamic he can be, even when he's playing at seventy percent in the World Series. And like the Dodgers say, when there's top players out there, they want to try to put themselves in position for it. But anything concrete yet, No, that has not been a storyline here this week.
Speaker 2: All right, Jack, thanks a lot for checking in, appreciate it and can't wait to see you when you get back to LA.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess Jack's not as excited to see me as I was to see him. All right, Jack, we'll just wave to each other from Afar at the next press conference there he goes Jack Harris, the best beat rider on the Dodger beat right now Latimes dot com, La Times if you get it delivered, if you're that small group of people that still get the newspaper delivered, and you can follow Jack Harris on Twitter at by Jack Harris. So he said some interesting things. There is some things that make a lot of sense. And I know there's a lot of rumors out there that the Dodgers and Tigers are getting close to a Trek school bl I don't want to rip the guy that's tweeting that, but I find it hard to believe the Tigers are going to trade Tarrek Schooble, and I don't see Scott Boris negotiating an extension with the Tigers or any other team out there as far as Kyle Tucker goes. Look, if Kyle Tucker's market gets to a point where he may take a four year contract instead of what he's looking for, a six or seven year contract, that's gotta be somewhat of a red flag to everybody involved, because it feels it's like the Kyle Tucker love affair is diminishing by the day, and it feels like Toronto is the best place for him, the best fit for him. I'm not in on Kyle Tucker. I think he's a very talented player, but you know, I'm not going to get into everything I've heard around the game and the industry from guys that have played against him, that have played with him. He's not a bad teammate, but I you know, I think at times there's been some question about his love for the game, and we'll see what happens. I feel like part of that's playing into some of the stuff that's going on with his market. But look, he may very well still get five or six or seven years and close to three fifty I could see that happening in Toronto. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Lewin Phoenix. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Hey, Dave, i'nlike Jack Harris, I'm excited to talk to you. Man, good to talk to you again.
Speaker 2: You're more excited than Jack was to see me. I was like, Hey, Jack, can't wait to see you. Get it, Lou, you got it?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 8: Hey. You know last year, Dave, in twenty twenty four, you you allowed us to share the Freddie Freeman walk off story?
Speaker 1: Where were you?
Speaker 8: And I shared my story? And I don't know. Obviously it's your show. I'd love to share my Game seven World Series of twenty twenty five. I promise I'll air on the side of briefness, if that's okay.
Speaker 2: So you're putting yourself in the same category as Brian Cranston because that last night you're saying Lewin Phoenix is on the level of Brian Cranston that we all want to know where Lewin Phoenix was. I'm just kidding, Lou. Of course, I want to hear where you were. I want to hear where everybody was. I love hearing these stories.
Speaker 8: I figured you would want to keep it going. Yeah, So anyway, I had bought tickets to see the Eagles at the Sphere in Vegas to celebrate my daughter's graduation. So unfortunately, of course it was at the time of Game seven, so, you know, being a passionate Dodger fan, my daughter and I we were at the Eagles concert in the Sphere and it was a concert where you could literally have to sit down and not say a word. Well that's kind of hard when Game seven's going on with all of the you know, all of the drama going on. So literally we left the concert because the ushers escorted this out because we were being too loud. We went into the anals of the of the Sphere and we had gathered some folks who were just as zealous as us. We all know what happened, but that's where I was for Game seven, watching the Eagles band perform Game seven with my daughter. You know, it's just been a great ride and I'd love to hear other stories throughout the season if you allow them to share. Thanks for everything you do.
Speaker 2: DV all right, Lou, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, I mean, at this point, I would love to hear where. I've asked people when they tell me all the Dodgers, they go on and on about the Dodgers. I just simply ask where were you for Game seven? And that usually generates a great story. You heard where Brian Cranston was all the way in London, England, in the middle of the night watching that. And now Lewin Phoenix has given us where he was the spear in Las Vegas watching the Eagles without my guy Glenn Frye, who passed away. But I heard, actually the Eagles still have their fastball. My guy Bernie Selmanson, the Prince of Tabs, saw the Eagles, and he was telling me the other night when we were having dinner at Javier's in Pasadena, shout out to my guy Javier Senior and Junior. They opened up Javier's in Pasadena. I was there for the first night last Friday night, and it is amazing. You have to try Javier's in Pasadena. It's one of the most beautiful restaurants that Pasadena has ever seen. Anyway, let's go out to Laguna Neguel. Ralph, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing.
Speaker 7: Ralph, Yes, sir, thank you, Ver David. Can you tell me what the status of three Dodger players? Will the Dodgers invite Graderol to spring training? What about kicking Hernan his operation on his left elbow with that effect is signing?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 7: What's the status with Evan Phillips? Is he still on the Dodgers? He's come to spring training?
Speaker 2: Okay, Ralph, Well, let's work backwards. Evan Phillips is still coming back from Tommy John surgery and the Dodgers non tendered him, but the door is not completely closed on him coming back. He can't come back to pitch for any team until you know, midway through the season. And I feel like that was more roster maneuvering, not tendering him because he wants to be a Dodger and the Dodgers really like Evan Phillips as far as keyk Hernandez goes. He's technically a free agent, but I expect him to be back and Bruce Star Graderol. We'll see how he looks in spring training. You know, he was hoping to come back at the end of last year, but his shoulder did not cooperate. From what I've seen on Instagram. He's lost a lot of weight. We'll see if that translates. But we'll see Bruce star Grattarol when pitchers and catchers report around Valentine's Day Camelback Ranch.
Speaker 7: What about Tika Hernandez's operation on his left el? But what's the status day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what. I'm gonna see key K Hernandez this weekend and I'm gonna try to interview him Ralph, and hopefully on one of our shows next week we could share that conversation. But I don't see Key K playing until probably June this year. All right, Ralph, thank you for the phone call. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. If I did not get to your calls tonight, call back tomorrow. We're on at seven o'clock and we'll see whether or not the Trek Schooble rumors heat up even more. Everybody is waiting to see whether or not Tarek Scooble is traded to the Dodgers or any other team out there. We'll see what happens. I'm very skeptical, but hey, if it happens, you'll hear it first right here on AM five. To seventy LA Sports. Thanks to Jack Harris for his help out in Orlando. Thanks to the crew here at sports net LA for allowing me to post up and host Dodger Talk from the sports net LA headquarters. We'll do it again tomorrow night on sports Net LA at six o'clock and again right here on AM five seventy at seven o'clock. Thanks to Ronnie Foscio for all his help. And in case you missed any of the show or our interview with Brian Cranston last night, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app and make Dodger Talk your number one pre set. Coming up next Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven o'clock. SIA