Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Alex Freeland got a huge lesson in the big leagues last year. He had his opportunity, he got an opportunity basically to play for a month straight. It just seemed like the game sped up on him. And that's what Dave Roberts said. But everybody has noticed a much more mature Alex Freeland this season. And even Freeland is carrying himself better this spring. I shouldn't say better, but carrying himself more like a big leaguer this spring. And I had a chance to catch up with Alex Freeland earlier today. All Right, I'm joined right now by a man that burst onto the scene last year with the Dodgers. He may not have the mullet, but he's still got the same edge and is still a baseball junkie. That's the one and only Alex Freeland. Great to see you, and I didn't recognize you no more mullet. You got a beard, a new man in spring training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to be back. It's good to see you, but I've gotten that a lot. Nobody seems to recognize me right now. But no it's cool, different look, change things out.
Speaker 1: The one word that's been used to describe you this spring is maturity. Do you feel like you learned a lot in your first taste of the big leagues last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean, although the season didn't go the or the season did go the way that we wanted to, but for me personally, it didn't go the way I wanted. But I think there's a lot of things to learn from whether it's good or bad. So I mean just experiencing it and being in the clubhouse with the guys, like there's veterans and Hall of famers like you just learned from being around them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think it went the way you wanted because you got your chance to be in the big leagues. You got a chance to be around this team, a championship caliber team. So it feels like you may know the answers to the test this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, no, no, I kinda.
Speaker 2: I kind of have an understanding of what it's gonna be like now and how to carry myself.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking I'm really looking for the next year.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like the motivation started when you went back to Oklahoma City last year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. I mean it sucked, but like it is what it is. I mean I tried to get on the earliest fight out of there to go play, and I said, I like, screw it, Like I'm gonna go down there and play.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna work my way back up.
Speaker 1: What did you learn the most being around those guys?
Speaker 2: Just how to handle yourself, Like how you go about your business like they do it in such a manner.
Speaker 3: It's like it's just very professional.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I think I think just the way I carry myself, whether I'm doing something or I'm not doing something, just just how I how I present myself.
Speaker 1: It seemed like you got bigger and stronger since the last time we saw you. How did that all come together? Did you just come up with this plan on your own or did somebody direct you, Hey, this will help you take that next step.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I thought right after the end of the season for Triple A, I mean we came back, we came back to Arizona for Stay Hot, and I never left. I've been I've been in Arizona since the season ended, and and my goal was to get better over the offseason and in preparation to this upcoming year.
Speaker 1: Is that where you came up with this beard?
Speaker 3: I didn't shave.
Speaker 2: Once I got options, I didn't shave.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: So it's been it's been like four months rocking it.
Speaker 1: How did you decide to cut the mullet?
Speaker 2: It's time to grow up. That's part of the maturity thing. I just grew up man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have not like we talked about yesterday, so we could do this on Yeah, I know. I think we could do the fun stuff on the side, but once the other players are around, obviously I'm here to lift you up.
Speaker 3: Half un goof off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember you kind of just trying to figure out pictures how they were pitching you. Do you feel like you might have a better idea of how to make the adjustments not only game to game but at bat.
Speaker 3: To at bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, But like also, pictures are going to be pictures. They're going to do something and we're gonna learn and adjust from it. But I think it's more about me, just like I'm more confident now now that I've been there and I've seen it and I've done it. So I think just going into this year, like I'm I'm more confident in everything we do, whether it's scouting, report, tea work, drill work, whatever like. So I just feel more confident in in everything that I do. So hopefully that translates and and uh and it works.
Speaker 1: But you've got a great opportunity. Tommy Edmond's not going to be ready for opening day. Uh do you feel like this opportunity is presenting itself to you because of the game rewarding the work that you've put in.
Speaker 3: Man, it sure feels like it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's tough that Tommy's not gonna be with us to start the year. I mean, Tommy's such a good guy to be around, and and I feel like.
Speaker 3: He's a glue guy. Like, yeah, he he.
Speaker 2: Might be overlooked sometimes, but like he's a big part of this team. So I mean, I hope that he's back soon, and I hope he gets back healthier and better. But yeah, it looks like the opportunities opening itself. So the focus is still the same to come here and get better and make the most of my opportunities.
Speaker 1: You're an easy gutta root for. You've you've definitely put in the work since you were a kid, and here you are with the back to back World Series champion Dodgers. Alex Freeland, before I let you go, you said you spent a lot of time in Arizona during the off season and you were here in Stay Hot Camp. Where were you when the Dodgers won the World Series and were you watching it with any of your teammates. Uh, that's Bob garn He's back for another year.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It was with my family and we were watching it. We were all super excited. It was such cool.
Speaker 3: It's such a cool ending.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like it was like it's written in a story or something. Man, it just it all came together and like I was just so happy for them.
Speaker 3: And for us, like you're getting a ring. Yeah, I know, I'm super pumped about that.
Speaker 1: But no, it was is definitely there's the guy that did it. I'm just asking Alex Freeland where he was when he was watching your home run.
Speaker 3: I was with my family. Man, we are also freaking pumped. You're losing it?
Speaker 1: No, all good? Could we could get rid of that? Also, you know Miguel Rojas and Will Smith that play at the plate. I don't know about you. You're an infielder. You understand how tough of a play and game of inches that.
Speaker 2: Was Yeah, definitely. I mean I give all the credit to to Miggy Row and Will. I mean, every single day these guys work on that play, so the fact that it happened it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't blow my mind or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Like they work on it every single day because you never know when it's gonna happen. And I think that a lot of these guys do a tremendous job of going out there and treating practice like games because like, you never know when it's gonna happen. Like for Meggy Row, it happened Game seven when it mattered the most. Yeah, you know what, he came through because he works as ass off every single day and makes that play in practice, but he treats it like a game.
Speaker 1: So is Alex Freeland taking the next step to the big leagues. Look forward to seeing you on opening day because I know the game rewards guys have put in the work. So congratulations, Glad you still got that smile. The beer's looking good, and you're a new man. Not a new man, but just a more mature man.
Speaker 3: More mature and more confidence.
Speaker 1: Voice to man right here, Alexan