Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show by calling eight six six seven hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Bassey.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vassey, upright, I'm still kicking at seven o'clock. We're with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have a great show for you tonight. We are going to get you what some of these gambling websites are saying for the Dodgers to win number of games over under on wins for the Dodgers this year. We'll share that with you in a moment coming up in fifteen minutes in case you missed it. Over the weekend they had the awards ceremony in New York for the MVPs and the cy Youngs and the Rookies of the Year. And show how Taani very fluent in English. We will share with you the four time MVP speech over the weekend in New York. There as another player that came off the free agent board today and signed with the San Francisco Giants. We'll share that with you and also the centerpiece of our show at the bottom of the hour, third base coach for the Dodgers, the best in the game, Dino Ebel will join us. We'll get his thoughts on what transpired in Game seven of the World Series and also he will be part of Mark Deros's coaching staff again for Team USA and the World Baseball Classic. Now, don't forget this Saturday, It's Dodger Fest. You can get your tickets at Dodgers dot com slash Dodger Fest. We will be broadcasting a special Dodger Talk this Saturday from ten am to one o'clock right here on the back to back World Series champions Home Dodgers Radio and five to seventy LA Sports. We will have all the players from Freddie Freeman to Mookie Betts to Blake Snell join us from Dodger Fest. So when you're taking the kids to their sporting events this weekend, tune in ten am to one o'clock and also on the iHeartRadio app, you can stream live. When you're at the volleyball game or the soccer game, or if you're really over zealous and sending your kids to fall ball baseball, you could listen to it as well. And spring training is right around the corner as well. Dodger Fest is kind of that thing that kicks off that baseball feeling, and spring training is right around the corner. The Dodgers first Cactus League game is going to be on February twenty first, Saturday, February twenty first against the Angels in Tempe, Arizona. We will have that for you, first pitch at twelve o'clock to kick off the Cactus League schedule, and then on opening Day it will be at Dodgers Stadium March twenty sixth against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Dodgers their second consecutive championship banner on that day, and last year they handed out the rings the day after Opening Day, so we'll see if they do the same thing this year. But it should be a very celebratory first homestand three with the Diamondbacks and three with the Cleveland Guardians. Opening Day is kind of Opening Night. Five point thirty start on opening Day March twenty sixth. All right, let's get to the show now. First of all, Petro Some Money spent the majority of their four hour show obsessed with my Rams viewing party that I had with my cousin Tony and my best friend Mike Cain in Pasadena. They live all the way in Laverne, not as far as dino Ebol, all the way out there in Rancho Cucamonga, but far enough. And we met in the middle. I prefer staying in the eight Poe to eight, but you know, I'm an unselfish friend. So I met him out there again at kings Row and we saw the same group of fans that we saw a couple of weeks ago, huge Rams fan, huge Dodger fans. And when I first walk in, they always look at me awkwardly as just treat me like a normal person, because that's who I am. I'm not O'tani, I'm not Freddie Freeman. I'm just a guy that talks baseball with you. So it was great to be out there at kings Row. Had a good time, and yes, very frustrated with some of the decisions made and the muff punt that was upsetting as well. So it had a great time hanging out with the boys, but certainly would have wanted a better outcome for the Rams. And look, there is no rules. Where are the rules? Are there rules that say? The Raiders left La went to Oakland, then moved to Vegas and then brought in Tom Brady and Pete Carroll. That says, I can't have one foot in with the La Rams, who are right in my hometown of Woodland Hills practicing every single day. Maybe I'll start screaming over the fence kick the field goal. I thought the Rams made a huge mistake not kicking that field goal with four and four five minutes to go, two minute warning, two timeouts. You make it a one point game. You put a lot of pressure on Sam Donald, the new golden child that everybody's rooting for in LA. I had no idea LA loves Sam Donald so much. But anyway, if you kick the field goal, it's a one point game. You don't need a touchdown, and you could cut the field in half and kick a game winning field goal with the thicker kicker. So I thought a huge mistake. And I really do believe these offensive gurus at our head coaches. It's not analytics. Everybody talks about analytics. It's more about arrogance. So I just didn't agree with that decision, and today is I can't let the show keep going because I did cover the Lakers the last two years that they played at the Forum started covering the Lakers. Kobe Bryant's second year in the NBA. Knew him well. Today's the anniversary of him and the rest of those youth coaches and players that unfortunately died in a horrific helicopter crash. We think about him on this day. I know. You know what's interesting is that his legacy, his spirit, lives on forever because he left such a big mark on everybody in the city of Los Angeles and across the world. But I knew Kobe really well. And I guess the one Kobe story that I believe you will appreciate the most is it was the year, the first year after Shaq was traded to the Heat, and it was not a great year. Right, Kobe was more in solitude than he usually was. And you know, I get to Doc Stadium about four hours, four and a half hours before first pitch, and that's about the time I used to get to Staples Center back then for a seven thirty tip. I would get there around three o'clock, three thirty. And on this particular afternoon, Kobe Bryant was shooting free throws and I went down there. I sent courtside and you know, started it counting, and Italian started counting in English, trying to throw them off. And he always loved the challenge, right even though he was trying to shoot one hundred free throws, make one hundred free throws. And after he was done shooting those free throws, like we usually would do when we had some you know, privacy, we could talk about the team and you know, how things were going, and he could vent and it was going to stay right there. So once we did that, after about twenty minutes, he went back to the locker room. He started to go across the court and he was in the visitors team tunnel and I realized that he left his shooting sweater on the chair next to me, and I yelled across the court. Nobody was there. I just said, hey, Cob, you you forgot your sweater, and he screamed across the arena and he said, oh, you could have it, keep it. And I still have his shooting sweater from that year two thousand and five, two thousand and six, and I certainly will cherish that. And I guess my only regret as far as my relationship with Kobe Bryant goes Is when he was at Game four of the twenty eighteen World Series, famous shot of him on his feed after Puig's Grand Slam. He was in the Dodger clubhouse before the game, and since it was so close to first pitch, I never I never felt like it would be my place to go down there to try to intercept him, to see him, because I hadn't seen him since I started covering the Dodgers on an everyday basis back in twenty twelve. I stopped seeing Kobe on an everyday basis in twenty eleven, and I guess that's my only regret when it comes to that that was my last chance to actually see him, and yeah, I didn't do it. I that was the Dodgers player's time and they were like kids, and you know that Kobe was a complicated person, but he was a good person at the root of it, and he certainly will be missed. Eight six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number since I was out watching the Rams. I'm sure all of you go out and watch the Dodgers, whether it's the playoffs or just any random Friday night, Saturday night with your friends, and it just bears asking again. Last year, we asked you where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam. So I got two questions for questions for you tonight. You can answer either one or both. Where were you watching Game seven of the World Series while the Dodgers were winning it in Toronto? And if you really want to go deep, I'm a little scared to know where you may have been when Freddie Freeman hit another walk off home run, this one in the eighteenth inning of Game three of the World Series. So I love hearing these type of stories. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And just to give you a heads up on the over under wins and this is as of today, so Kyle Tucker's in the fold. These gambling websites have set the Dodgers over underwins at one hundred and two and a half wins. I actually believe it's going to be over and not by a lot. I feel like they can win one hundred and three games. Remember, their most incredible win total season was one hundred and six in twenty twenty one, and they didn't even win the World Series that year. They didn't even get to the World Series. That year, the Giants had that miracle season of one hundred and seven wins. The Dodgers, it seems whenever they don't hit one hundred wins, they win the World Series. So maybe I should change my mind and go under. I don't want the Dodgers to win one hundred games. I want them to win under one hundred games and give themselves the best chance to be ready to go for the postseason. So I'm I'm going under. How about that? I'm advising you to take the under. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue, Your phone calls, phone lines are lighting up. Where were you when the Dodgers uh one Game seven of the World Series, or where were you and Freddy Freeman hit that walk off home run in the eighteenth inning of Game three of the World Series? And yes, I'm going under one hundred and two and a half wins for the Dodgers. Also, when we continue, you'll hear Sho Heo Tani's acceptance speech of the MVP. No spoiler alert, No he didn't mention me. More Dodger talk around the corner until eight o'clock on A five to seventy LA Sports. This is Dodger Talk Advice A with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, we will hear from the back to back World Series champion third base coach Dino Ebel, the best in baseball. And after we take some phone calls, we have two lines open we'll share with you show Hal Tani's MVP speech four MVPs now back to back MVPs with the Dodgers. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two, five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to one of my favorite cities in southern California, Long Beach. Courtney kick us off on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Courtney?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm doing so good, dame.
Speaker 4: We have absolutely.
Speaker 1: Signed Kyle Tucker and I just love hearing all the hate from everybody else. So that's a beautiful thing. I you know, the people also don't talk about, you know, Cody Bellinger five years and one hundred and sixty two. But whatever, another conversation for another day.
Speaker 3: Would you rather have Would you rather have Cody for five years or Tucker for a high average salary.
Speaker 1: Nope, Sorry, Cody's been a traffic cone lately. I'll take We'll take Kyle. That's what we'll take. But No, I was calling in wanted to talk about where I was at the eighteenth inning. I have a son who is sixteen months old. At this time, he was probably thirteen months old, and I had absolutely struggled to get any kind of movement for him to get into his bed because I think he just felt the adrenaline. Finally he got to bed. I want to say it was probably close to ten thirty at night, laid him down. It was I want to say, probably close to the fifteenth inning, got him down. Kwine was in still or not still, but Quin was in. That was happening. Next thing, you know, three innings passed is probably one o'clock in the morning or so at this point, and absolutely just once he hit that ginger, I screamed so loud, so did my whole house. We were just like absolutely lost our mind. Woke my kid up, and had to absolutely start back from where we were. So yeah, I didn't get any sleep that night for various amounts of reasons, but I just will never forget that. I think it's probably this series. This world series has to be the most ethic of all time? Can you root for?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel like everybody agrees with you, Courtney. That's the consensus the best world series we've seen in a long time. And while everybody's saying it's the greatest World series they've ever seen, on the other side, they're saying the Dodgers are bad for baseball. Don't see how you can have.
Speaker 1: Both, right, you can have bad ownership, though, who doesn't want to test in your team?
Speaker 6: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Have that?
Speaker 7: Not anymore?
Speaker 3: Not anymore, Courtney. Thank you for the phone call. Let's stay in Long Beach, Ernie. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Ernie?
Speaker 6: Hey brother, I'm doing good.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 6: Where was I on the eighteenth inning walk off that Freddy free Man? I was at home. I work in construction, man, so I have to wake up at three in the morning, and I was not going to miss that, you know, and I'm stayed up. I watched it because it's history.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: You didn't get any sleep? Did you take a nap before you had to get to work or you just ran through it, had a couple of extra cups of coffee?
Speaker 6: Uh? Yeah, I probably had one or two hours of sleep, but I wasn't gonna miss it for the world man. Just I agree with with the other caller. This is this has been probably the best World Series that I've ever witnessed.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 6: I'm just happy to be a part of it.
Speaker 3: You know. That's awesome. That's awesome, Ernie. Thank you for sharing. And do you have to go back to work at three am tomorrow?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 6: Actually, I have a pretty good start time. I have a seven o'clock start time, so yeah, man, Let's go Dodgers, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Ernie, thank you for the phone call. Love hearing all these stories of where you were when Freddy hit that walk off home run in the eighteenth inning of Game three, and also where you may have been biting your fingernails and extra innings when the Dodgers actually won back to back World Series championships. Let's go out to west Wood. Peter, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Peter, Hey, super Dave.
Speaker 5: First of all, I want to give a shout out to those Notre Dame Knights baseball and also basketball that just dunked on Harvard Westlight Go Nights.
Speaker 3: I love that they have won every game that I haven't been at this year. I went to the Loyola game and they lost.
Speaker 5: Oh no, well, the eighteen inning, I was in scu at the stadium with my wife and daughter. I had a brief argument about the time of the game. Luckily I didn't have to get too deep into it, but unbelievable to be there, very blessed. And then for the World Series clinch, I had to actually step out of the house. I couldn't stand listening to our man Joe be a non partisan announcer and went in and sequestered myself from the car to listen to Steve and Rick do it the right way. I'm am five to seventy.
Speaker 3: You know, Joe can't win. It feels like Joe could not win in that World Series. I thought he did a great job.
Speaker 5: Oh there's no question. He's definitely the best of this next generation and we're blessed to have him. But you know, I had to be a homer, and I think I was fortunate and that I did. Hear over the radio, Rick Monday crack a smile after Steven yelled the ZAR when I won.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree with that. Peter, Thank you for the phone call great memories. Let's go out to wineca Waldo, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing Waldough, Hey David, I'm great. Looking forward to the new season. My granddaughter and I are going to be out at Dodger Fest. Hopefully we'll we'll run into.
Speaker 3: You out there, I hope.
Speaker 9: So we've gone the Yeah, we've gone the last two years. And look what happened the last two years. So three three in a row.
Speaker 3: You got to keep it going.
Speaker 9: My memories of last year. I also had to get up early the next morning works, so I was home alone on the couch in front of the big screen, and I was texting my granddaughter back and forth because she's a big Dodger fan and is also texting my cousin from Toronto. And I was actually all set to congratulate him at the end of the game, because I I thought that to johnest I'm a big Dodger fan, but I thought Toronto was gonna win Game seven.
Speaker 3: I was just they had a few chances. They were inches away a few different times. I mean winning it.
Speaker 9: If Miguel Rojas didn't put a little lecture on that throw. If Andie Pie has had made the catch well, you know, I mean, it was just so many chances, and I was all set to congratulate them on a good World Series. And then of course when they when the Dodgers won, I didn't hear back from him, So.
Speaker 3: You know, of course, not until opening day.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 9: If you go back one year, I'll tell you where I was when Freddie hit that home run. Game one earlier in the day, my son called me and said, hey, Dad, I can get two tickets to the game one World Series, but they're not great seats.
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 9: And I said, are you kidding?
Speaker 6: The Dodgers in the World Series.
Speaker 9: I'm there. So we were. We were there, and that was the most exciting Dodger game I've ever been to.
Speaker 3: No doubt, Freddie Freeman's a legacy player. Now he's got to finish his career with the Dodgers. I know he'll be turning thirty seven during the season, but he's got two more years left on his contract and he's got to stay with the Dodgers for as long as he wants to play. Thanks for the phone call, Waldough, great memories. Let's take one more phone call before we say hello to Dino Ebel and then we'll get back to your calls in a moment. Jose in Tijuana, Mexico. Jose, are you listening on the iHeartRadio app? How you doing, Jose, Yes.
Speaker 11: Sir, I'm definitely using the app. I'm doing great, great. I'm just wanted to share my story. I was on vacation for the eighteenth inning game. There we were down, My girlfriend and I were down in the resort down in Koleema, central part of Mexico, hanging out at and so we went to three bars.
Speaker 3: Before before you keep moving. That's a humble brag. You were at some fancy resort while the rest of us were at some divy bar. Okay, Jose, and another lady was taking care of her baby while you're you're having a great time in Mexico. Okay, what else you got, Jose? Continue with your story?
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, sir, Yeah, yeah, I would have done through the World Series, but this vacation was planned, you know, about eight months prior, so I won't make that mistake again. But yeah, we were hanging out. There was about a dozen Canadians down there, so that made it even more wow that game. So yeah, yeah, we were giving each other you know, the business. So about the twelve or thirteen inning, my girlfriend goes, hey, you know, why don't we just you know, take a break and go upstairs. And we had been in the water, so we needed to take a quick shower and whatnot. So we went upstairs, and you know, my girlfriend, you know, were falling a leap or whatnot, and I didn't. I stayed up so seventeen and then comes around eighteen and then you know, I'm like, dude, I'm gonna let's.
Speaker 9: Take a quick shower.
Speaker 11: So so Freddie. I'm watching the game on my phone in the swer so you know, I'm done with this hour. And then Freddie hits the ball the ball, and I'm like screaming. I knew he hit it, you know, pretty good. And I'm screaming at my girlfriend. She goes, what's wrong, what's wrong? She's hap to sleep. I'm running from from the bathroom to our room and we're watching the game, I mean, the celebration in our room. We were just going crazy. So I'm like, dude, let's go downstairs and talk to the Canadians. Sure enough, you know, they were all gone, nobody was there. But we were just like two little running up and up and down, and it was just crazy. So it is, you know, amazing what the Dodgers have done for us and just creating memories that we'll never forget.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for sharing that and making us all jealous that you're at some great resort in Mexico. There he goes, Jose and Tijuana. Wow. A great story, but certainly a humble brag. All right, we gotta take a time out. Dinu Ebel is going to call in back to back World Series championship third base coach, a key member of Dave Roberts' coaching staff. He'll join us next as we continue on Dodger Talk right here on AM five seventy LA Sports. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. But we are joined running now, but by one of my favorite people. He has been a key member of Dave Roberts coaching staff on their way to back to back World Series championships. He is the best third base coach in all of Major League baseball and that is the one and only pride of Barstow Dino Ebol. Dino, thanks a lot for calling in. Hey, you're at a hibernation. Thank you for calling in.
Speaker 6: Hey.
Speaker 8: Thanks David. Always great talking to you and looking forward to another championship season. You can't can't wait and getting ready to get to spring training.
Speaker 3: Have you have you worked with any of the players this offseason, Dino? Have you seen any of the guys?
Speaker 8: Well, this week started with Kim's in town. Months he's in town, so there's gonna be guys coming in and out of the stadium. So yeah, we guys are coming in and getting work all winter long, especially in the weight room. But now they're starting to get their routine down, getting some fly balls on ball. So uh, it's it's getting closer to spring training and that's when guys will start to come in at Dodger Stadium and and start to getting prepared for spring training.
Speaker 3: Do you know, before we look forward, let's look back at an incredible World Series. First question is have you watched one of Game six or Game seven all the way through or is there a particular play that you go back to watch the most Since you guys won Game seven.
Speaker 8: Well, David, to tell you the truth, being at home and you know, watching, you know some highlights I just I don't go through all all, you know, pitch to pitch, inning to inning. But the highlights that I just keep going back to is Game six when Kyk you know, throws the ball on the soft you know, Lin's ride to left field and doubling up and Rojas's making that great pick. And then Game seven just numerous defensive plays, one on Rojas and then you know the Paz and Kik and left center and then seeing Yoshi come in and close that game out. So those are the things that just you know, the home run, Rohas's home run, Will Smith in the eleventh goes deep to win it. But just going back to the Philly series, the comebacker and the pitcher throws it away, just highlights, you know, parts of each series with the Brewers, you know, the dominant pitching we had in four game series. So show Hayes ten punchouts and three home runs. So that's kind of what I usually look at. But what an incredible run, what an incredible series from Game one from Cincinnati to the Game seven in Toronto. Never will forget it and what an exciting year.
Speaker 3: Two of the guys that you know really well were on the show before Christmas, and that was Mickey Hatcher and Mike so and you obviously are one of the best third base coaches out there, and you understand the value of ninety feet and each actually taking big leads from third base. They each said that Isaiah Kana Filefa, he should have taken a more aggressive lead and if he did, we may not be celebrating back to back World Series championships. What did you think about that play? How close was it?
Speaker 8: Well, you're looking back and you know the game of inches, and yeah, if you know, if he gets off a little bit more left handed hitter, the odds are that, you know, he's probably not going to hit into a line drive on the left side of the diamond to double up the runner at third base. But you know, going back in the moment and then the dugout and down there in the uh, you know, far into the dugout watching our defense, and I see the coach, third base coach fabulous, who's a good third base coach, go over to the line and he draws a line with his foot, so it's on it's on the it's on the video where you know, this is what can't blame the For me, you can't blame the player. This is what they teach in the organization. So Febulus goes down, draws the line and then you know, the runner goes and puts his right foot on the line and doesn't move, which was a short lead. They were worried about getting doubled up or back door by the catcher with a left handed batter. So uh, you know, I know everybody goes back and looks at the player and says, well, he should have got a little bit more. But for me, this is what Toronto teaches. This is what the third base coach put, you know, the line in the in the dirt, and the player did exactly what he was supposed to do. Now going back, yeah, now we don't do that. We're a little bit more aggressive. You know. It's uh, you know, you get off I you know, I try to teach pitch to pitch. Now I look to see where the third basement is and if you do take a shorter primary lead, then we got to get a better secondary lead. But if you get a bigger lead, then you got to cut down on the secondary lead. So one or the other what we do, Uh, that's what we would have done in that moment. But you can't blame the player. He did exactly what he was supposed to do with the organization teaches.
Speaker 3: Another key play in game seven was when Andy po Has was fresh into the game after that play and uh, you know you talk about being at the far end of the dugout. My understanding is that's where Paes was with his hoodie on when Dave Roberts said, go into the game for Tommy Edmund. Can you take us through what what you saw and how how it transpired. Where Paz was into the game and he has that collision with Key Kanan catches the ball.
Speaker 8: Right, he's down down there by me. He's you know, watching the game where everybody's standing up on here. You know, the game is on the line, and then you know his name is called, so Danny Lehman, the bench coach, runs over until pa has grabs his glove and then you know they call time out and boom, there he goes, which you know, he's running out to center field and in the moment, you know, I look at Edmund who's coming in from center field. He thinks we're going to run a five man infield. You know, he's he's looking at me like, where's my glove? And then I look down at the end of the bench and and Bob Garrin. You know, it's signaling to me that hey, he's out of the game. So I tell Tommy that you're done. So he comes in the dugout and now you know it's we're not going to the five man infield. They decided not to, and you know we got the chopper. That's when you know, Varshow chops the ball to Rojas. He makes the plate to play. But we had all the infielders in. But in that moment, yes, it was just you know, Dave thought, let's put in our best center fielder with the best arm, give us a chance. If it is hitting the outfield, we're in shallow So in that in that situation, they've got to go over our head to beat us some type of limes ride shallow fly ball. We can have a plate to play. So yeah, that's that's looking back, that's living the moment. That's what happened, all right.
Speaker 3: Dino Ebel, the Dodgers third base coach, nobody has a best review of home runs than you do, and an experience of high fiving these guys every time they hit one. Take us through what you saw when Miguel Rojas tied the game when you were down to your final two out, saying what was it like congratulating him when he rounded third base?
Speaker 8: Oh? Man, that was just what a thrill. You know, I've been in some big moments, some big games where you know, last year, Freddie Threeman Game one hits the Grand Slam, which we'll never forget that. But you know you're down, You're down to two outs and it's a three to two count. You know it's one out and you're just hoping that he can put the ball in play. You got show Hey on deck, You get a guy on so you know, maybe show Hey can hit a two run homer, you know, to put you ahead. But you know the count goes to three and two, and you know, all I'm thinking out there is just come on, Rojas. He's a contact guy. I felt he was not gonna you know, strike out. Knew, like you know what, anything around the plate, he's going to put a good swing on it. But when he hit it, my hand went straight up. I knew it was gone soon as he hit hit. You know the sound of the bat. I look up and you know it acts it just it went quiet, and just it was so quiet that when that ball went over the fence, I turned around. I mean, it's just pure chills, you know, in my body, and I see I see like our family section behind our dugout just going crazy. And that was the only thing I heard was our family section. So in the moment, it wasn't like a Dodger Stadium, you know, home run, because we're on the road, but it felt like it because of the crowd that was behind our dugouts, mainly off family section. But him coming around third base was probably the best feeling I had, just because he tied the game, giving us a chance to go into extra innings, and I felt we had a great chance winning if we went to extra innings on that one with help White.
Speaker 3: It was at Rogers Center after Rojas tied the game in the ninth inning, Dino, when he was coming around third base, could you hear his cleats come off the dirt? Was it that quiet that you could hear that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was. He was, you know, yelling, you know, like, you know, yeah, come on and let's go. And I looked over at our dugout and it's like, this is you know, everybody's out, you know, in front of that dugout and just the emotion of playing baseball and having fun and you know, you look back as a kid and it didn't matter. You're in Game seven. He ties it up with a home run with you know, one out in the ninth inning, you're on the road, and it's just pure excitement. That momentum just shipped it on our side and they knew it. You know, you saw the look on Hoffman's face. I looked at him, I looked at their dougout. It was like they couldn't believe what happened. And all we heard, all I heard at third base was our family section and our dougout going crazy. That's what that's living the moment, what I went through in that in that in that period of.
Speaker 3: Time, that's amazing. Deno Ebel, Dodgers third base coach, back to back World Series champion third base coach, is our guest, Was it similar when Will Smith hit his go ahead home run in the eleventh inning? Do you know similar experience with only hearing the family section.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, and you know Will, I mean when he hits them, it was a no doubt or it was high. Uh, you know, I as soon as he hits it, I know it's gone. And I look to our dugout. Everybody's jumping up over the railing there and they're coming out of that dugout and I see Will. And when Will comes around, he's one of those guys that's got like super super strength that he doesn't you know, doesn't really realize, but his his adrenaline emotion. When he hit my hand, I thought, there goes my right fingers and just he crushed him so so hard. I said, you know what, I didn't even feel it. But afterwards I told Will, I said, man, you came close to breaking my whole hand, but you know what, I didn't care. And I just I love the moment and just just pure excitement is just you know, here in our crowd here and seeing our doug out going crazy as uh, you know, that's what we played for. And then went in at on that double play. I'll never forget it. So that's uh, it was a what a what a game seven?
Speaker 3: What a world series? The Dodgers celebrating back to back World Series championships looking for a three Pete and Dina Ebel is a big part of Dave Roberts coaching staff. Now Dino Uh. Everybody was a little surprised that the Dodgers were able to pull off signing Kyle Tucker. Did you have any hint that you were closing in on Kyle Tucker? And how much more improved is your outfield going to be? With Tucker and right, tay Oscar and left and Paez and center.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, you never you know, you hear stuff, you know, like in the media, and you you know, you hear Andrew and Brendan Gome saying that we're always open to you know, getting better. So you know, there was a rumor out there that we were looking for an outfielder. You know, we lost, we're losing a comforto. So you know, there's call and there's you know, you know you have call there and you got you know, some guys who can platoon out there. But I just in the back of my mind, I felt like Andrew and Brandan Gomes and our ownership was going to do something very special. And you know, the Tucker got out there and you know, I'm thinking, I'm not going to get excited until you know you've been in this game long enough to where you hear all these rumors and whispers and you know things can fall in the last second. But uh, what a what an exciting moment when I found out before they announced it that we came to an agreement with Kyle Tucker. Now I had him in the WBC. What a great player. He's gonna Dodger fans are going to fall in love with this guy. Uh, he puts the ball in play, he's got power, he's a plus outfielder, plus arm. So I think I saw. I haven't talked to Dave yet, you know, probably this week sometime we always get together before spring training. But he made the comment that Pale is probably going to move over to left and Tucker and right, but our outfield now is going to be really good. Kyle. Kyle's going to really help us try to repeat this thing. And what an explosive bat that you're gonna add into that lineup and we're deep all the way from one to nine. So I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Since you're the only guy on the team that has been around him since you are part of Mark Durosa's coaching staff as well. What type of guy is Kyle Tucker. I know he's not a raw row type of guy, but do you believe he does have the enthusiasm to grind out a season with the Dodgers?
Speaker 8: One hundred percent. This guy, he's a winner. He wants to win. That's why one of the reasons he chose to come to the Dodgers because he wants to win another World Series. So he's quiet, you don't know he's in the room. But those are the guys kind of reminds me like Mannarism type guy like Chris Taylor. When Chris or talks, everybody listens, and uh, he just goes about his business. He's gonna be ready to play every day, every game, every inning. This is who he is. So you know that he'll, uh, he'll come into that clubhouse and there's some leadership in there. He'll add leadership to the to that clubhouse too. Because he's been in a championship game and he's got a ring. So I think he's gonna be a great addition to this club. And uh, he's he's gonna go about his business and and our club is great. You know they're gonna they're gonna get along fine, and he's gonna be uh, you know, a big help for us whinning. Uh you know this, uh this year's World Series once once we get started, so.
Speaker 3: Much to tap the brain of Dino Ebel for I mean, man, you talk about a lifetime of experience. How about just the last year. What an incredible ride for Dino. And you're gonna be back with Team US saying the World Baseball Classic again. How about Uh, your old buddy Clayton Kershaw, He's gonna be or the team this year. What uh what effect is he going to have on Team USA?
Speaker 8: Uh, it's gonna be huge, you know to have a guy like Clayton and uh you know he goes out as back to back World Series champion and now he gets to put that USA jersey on and you know the goal is to win a gold medal. So uh, he's going to add a lot to our pitching staff. Again. Mark de Rosa is managing how he uses them, I don't know. You know, we all get together on March first, We'll have five days of practice in Arizona and then we head to Houston. But uh, if I'm a Pitcher on that pitching staff. Man, I'm gonna be all ears and be asking, you know, a ton of questions to a first ballot Hall of Famer. So I can't wait till when they announce his name. I'm sure, uh, he's going to be excited. Uh. When I heard when Mark Durosa called us and Tota said Kershaw's joining us, man, I got the chills. And I can't wait to see Clayton. I know, uh uh he's ready for this moment and help us win a gold medal. So look forward to.
Speaker 3: It, so are we. It'll be great to see twenty two with the stars and stripes on his jersey. Do you know before I let you go, you already have been at camel Back Ranch. You were there for the Adult Fantasy camp with a lot of the members of the eighty eight Dodgers. What was that experience like again with seeing so many guys that you've known for so long.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's always fun. You know. You go there for five days and all you do is you talk baseball, You bring up you hear stories that you know. I first signed in nineteen eighty eight, and I'm here in Sacks and Mickey Hatcher Mike Soosha and Kenny Lando, and Steve Garvey and just Billy Russell, just name after name. Guys are just and you know they're just talking baseball and you're hearing, you're learning every day. I asked baseball questions to those guys. You know, they've managed in the big leagues, Rick Dempsey and I just it's always a thrill for me to be there for five days, and it's a blast to be with the campers and to be a go It's just a thing that I never say no to. Love going to him. But I was there four days earlier for Camp Blake Snell, and he put on a great camp for the thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen you at Camelback. He's got something really good going with the young youth in the generation of today's game. So it was a good ten days for me in Arizona. Now I'm home. Now, I'm looking forward to get back on February eleven, get on the field on the twelfth.
Speaker 3: Can't wait to see ninety one back in that third base coaching box this year. Dino, thanks a lot for the time. Great catching up with you, and you are invaluable. The Dodgers are very lucky to have you back in the organization because you are a wealth of knowledge and certainly a great person as well. So thank you for the time and can't wait to see you out there.
Speaker 8: Thanks David, always the pleasure talking baseball with you, and Go Dodgers. Can't wait to get it going.
Speaker 3: Go Dodgers. No doubt, don know Ebel part of Tommy Lasorda's coaching tree. He learned from the best, not only Tommy but also Joe Amalfitano. So certainly Dave Roberts Andrew Friedman picked a great one to be the third base coach, and it was awesome to hear his experience being in the coaching box third base coaching box when Miguel Rojas hit his game tying home run and what it was like for him being on the field and hearing only the family section behind the dugout at a very quiet Rogers Center. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We still have some fans on the line that want to share where they were for this year's World Series moments. Let's go up to Santa Barbara Sheldon. You're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for holding.
Speaker 10: What's up, Dave?
Speaker 5: So funny enough.
Speaker 10: I actually called in after Game three because I was there, but my line dropped because of the service. So I'm falling back and I'm excited to share my story with you. So I actually had a business trip to Mexico and I changed my flight because I was waiting to see if the Mariners were gonna win or the Blue Jays were gonna win. And to make sure I got was able to go to a game, I changed my flight from Santa Barbara to LA for a red eye. So I was joking with all my coworkers, saying, hey, the game is still going on, I might miss my flight, and you already know I missed my flight, without a without a doubt, miss my entire work trip. Totally worth it. Game three, No doubt.
Speaker 3: That was the right move right there, Sheldon, You still have your job, right. You didn't lose your job over that.
Speaker 10: I did not lose my job, and I was willing to lose my job for the for the game though, but we're still here. So it worked out perfectly And just a fun fact. Game seven, I was watching the game at a bar here in Santa Barbara, right next to Brad Paisley and that guy knows ball. He loves to talk about the dog and he's a great guy to watch the game with.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a big time fan. That's cool.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He he splits time between Nashville and Santa Barbara. Yeah, very cool. Thanks for calling in. Appreciate it, Sheldon. Let's go out to my guy Kevin in Culver City. Thanks for being patient, Kevin.
Speaker 5: David, what is up man?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 4: Kyle Tucker, great signing and all those haters talking about salary tip get out of here. Steve Cohen could have paid extra money for Kyle Tuck.
Speaker 6: He didn't do it.
Speaker 4: We built the coach here.
Speaker 5: Players want to play here.
Speaker 4: And real quick about the RAMS. I'm going through everything. You're going through, all the RAMS depression. You gotta give the ball to Kyron Williams on third down if you know you're gonna go for it on fourth down, and Sean McVay, if you want to call the time out, call the timeout and talk it over the seasons on the line. The Seahawks were in a soft coverage. You could have ran the ball with kyrone and got the four yards, or even have Matthew Stafford pull out the quarterback option and run the ball. Nobody would have seen him running the ball there, quarterback drop, run up the me I'll get the four yards or even a touchdown. The Seahawks weren't thinking Matthew was going to run the ball. You were spot on with your whole assessment. I thought that was a turning play of the game. The fumble. Kyn Williams should have been back to return to punts.
Speaker 2: He should have.
Speaker 4: Never since Smith back out there after the first time. And that's the hard part about this game was it was right there for us to take and I thought we had it right there. And let's talk about that Cooper Cup play. That was not a catch. The ball cannot call the ball to drop. That's either a fumbar and in complete pass. The referees completely missed it. They should have releast looked at it.
Speaker 3: The referees have not had a very good playoffs. I don't care what anybody tells you. I don't care about those experts in the booth. Their job is not to embarrass their former peers on the field. So I'm with you, Kevin. Thank you for the phone calling. Petros himself told me before the game the rams run a beautiful stretch right run play with Kyron Williams and that great offensive line. You didn't see that third down, especially Kevin brings up a great point. If you know it's going to be a four down situation, then run the ball when they're playing nine back. Let's go out to Londale. Jorgey walk us off on Dodger Talk. How you doing?
Speaker 7: Jorgey doing great here, just on the couch with with my wife, Rebecca and our daughter, and you know, just really looking forward to spring training. You know, you know all this stuff.
Speaker 2: That's happening out there. And he's like, no one has everyone forgotten about Edwin Diaz. We just got the Mets closer out from under them. And it's like, you know, I what was it that John Taturo, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Nicholas Totum who's in the valley. Yeah, I see him. I saw him and seeing a little league. Yeah, I'm with you, Jorgey. And look if Tanner Scott can have a bounce back here, all of a sudden, the Dodgers have maybe the best left right reliever combo in baseball, and I would fully expect Tanner Scott. Now the pressure's off the spotlights off of him. He's gonna be more in the role that he's more comfortable with. If he's able to do what Tanner Scott did two years ago. And you've got Edwin Diaz closing out games all of a sudden and Bruce star Graderol coming back along with Alex Vesia to shorten the game. That is going to be tough for any team to beat. If the Dodger bullpen and Tanner Scott's a big key to all this. If he can come back and be the Tanner Scott from two years ago, all of a sudden, you shortened the game and the last nine outs are almost a certainty as close as they can be in a Major League Baseball game. All Right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Thanks to everybody that called in. We'll be back with you on Wednesday night at seven o'clock. Thanks to Dino Ebol for his time all the way out there in Rancho Kuckamonga. And I'm sorry we couldn't share O Tani's MVP speech, but we'll get to it on Wednesday night. And just in case you missed it, the Giants signed Harrison batter to a two year, twenty million dollar contract earlier today. Thanks to Ronnie Foscio for all his help back at our Burbank studios. Great to have him back. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next. See ya.