Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're got to running.
Speaker 3: Back hosted by Dodgers at Cider David Vassie in the mix. Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from colds to cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven two five seven day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a very special off night Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers are getting set for a six game road trip in Pittsburgh and Chicago. The South side of Chicago as the Pirates and White Sox are on the schedule the next six nights, and we will have all the action for you starting tomorrow afternoon, with our coverage beginning at two thirty. First Pitch with Rick Monday and Tim Nevert tomorrow from Pittsburgh at three forty. It's Skeens Day. That's right. Eric Lower will be facing Paul Skeens tomorrow. It should be an exciting game whenever Skeens is on the mound and facing the back to back defending world champion Dodgers. We've got a great show for you tonight. And the reason why it's a great show is because we are going to celebrate a guy that has meant a lot to the Dodgers the last ten years, and that is the one and only Chris Taylor. And he is going to join us at seven point fifteen, his first interview since officially retiring from Major League Baseball. And of course so many great moments with the Dodgers. What were your great moments of Chris Taylor? And maybe if you call in now and you want to talk to Chris Taylor, maybe I'll connect you with Chris Taylor so you can celebrate CT three yourself over the phone. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. When I think of Chris Taylor, the moments I think of is the first time I ever met him when he was traded to the Dodgers. Do you even remember who he was traded for. He was traded for a guy by the name of Zach Lee. Remember Zach Lee, the former college quarterback that turned into a pitcher that never really panned out in the Dodger organization. Great guy, by the way, But the Dodgers traded Chris Taylor, or traded Zach Lee for Chris Taylor in June of twenty sixteen, and I remember meeting Chris Taylor for the first time in pitt That's right where the Dodgers are right now. I remember exactly where I met Chris Taylor, who was right outside the Dodger Clubhouse. We walked to the dugout, we did a pregame interview. And other than that first impression, of course, if I go in chronological order here, I'm gonna think about his incredible twenty seventeen season, and I'll never forget his leadoff home run in Game one of the twenty seventeen World Series. I'll never forget his incredible Game seven catch in Milwaukee in twenty eighteen the NLCS. I'll never forget his wild Card walk off home run in twenty twenty one, which arguably was his best season in the big leagues. So those are the moments that flash through my mind when you talk about Chris Taylor. We'd love to hear yours. And like I said, if you want to have a chance to talk to Chris Taylor, phone lines are open at eight, six, six, nine, eighty seven, two, five seventy.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Are coming off winning two out of three from the Angels, and last year the Dodgers lost all six games to the Angels. This year, they swept the Angels in Anaheim and then they were able to take two out of three from the Angels at Dodgers Stadium. Despite losing thirteen to five, the Dodgers took two out of three from the Angels and now are heading off on an East Coast road trip, a family trip in Pittsburgh where there's a lot of families. I'm glad I didn't show up on this road trip because I heard there's a lot of overflow families over there in Pittsburgh right now. I mean, why would you want to take your family to Pittsburgh. I have no idea why you would want to do that. But okay, the Dodgers thought they would treat their families to a very special night in Pittsburgh. Congratulations. I guess what the Dodger dads are saying to their families. If you want to earn, if you want to go to Chicago, you have to earn Chicago by going to one of my bottom five cities that the Dodgers go to in Pittsburgh. Right now, I mean, how many Pimanti brothers can you have on one trip? I want to know that. And you know, okay, great, you're going to Chicago. But come on, hey, by the way, coming up in ten minutes, Chris Taylor is going to join us his first interview since his official retirement. Chris Taylor is going to join us, So we can't wait for that. Coming up at seven fifteen eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, by the way, in this series that the Dodgers and Pirates are going to face off against It's Schemes versus Lower tomorrow then Jared Jones against shoe Hey Otani. And my understanding is the blister that Otani has been dealing with is not an issue. He is going to pitch and there's not going to be any sort of you know, blister that prevents Otani from making that start. And then the finale of this series on Thursday, Justin Robleski will be going up against Mitch Keller. And speaking of show Heyotani. By the way, we'll get to Tucker and Mookie Betts after we talked to Chris Taylor. But show hey Otani. Everybody was freaking out in the month of April. And remember in Toronto Otani told me, don't worry, I will get going in May. Well, he certainly has got going in May. In the last month. In the last thirty days, Otani ranks number one in all A Major League Baseball in batting average three seventy nine average in the last month, on base percentage four sixty nine, slugging percentage six point fifty three. He's he has the third most hits in all A Major League baseball with thirty six. He has five home runs, He has seven doubles nineteen RBIs my point, and also should I bring up the pitching In ten starts, sixty one innings logged, allowed just five earned runs. Hitters are only hitting a buck forty four against Otani. He has sixty seven strikeouts and eighteen walks in ten starts. Joey Vado on Dan Patrick's show two weeks ago was way ahead of this, and that wasn't even when O'twani started taking off again offensively. This is possibly, if he continues on this trajectory, the greatest single season we have seen from any player in baseball history. And it's not even close. Barry Bonds and those seventy something home runs Okay, great, yeah, okay, a lot of people don't even recognize that. Barry Mark McGuire and breaking Roger Maris' record, and Sammy Sosa with the sixty something home runs. Great years, but nothing like this. Babe Ruth, Are you kidding me? Are we still comparing go Tani to Babe Ruth? Here's the tiebreaker. Anybody that brings a Babe Ruth to you when it comes to Show hal Tani, I could send Show Hal Tani in a time machine and he would dominate Babe Ruth's Major League Baseball generation. You bring Babe Ruth to twenty twenty six, the only thing he's dominating is me at a bar. That's it. That's the only thing Babe Ruth is dominating in twenty twenty six. Hank Aaron, he had an incredible, incredible career, but no season like this. This is the single greatest season by any baseball player. And if you have one that you think is better, I would love to know it. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, Chris Taylor will join us, a guy that will forever be part of Dodger history, especially in this era of greatness of Dodger baseball. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock right here on a five seventy LA Sports. David Vasse off Day, Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers open up a three game series in Pittsburgh tomorrow night. It'll be Paul Skeens on the mound for Pittsburgh, and it'll be Eric Lower on the mound for the Dodgers. But right now, forget about the twenty six Dodgers. We care about a man that left it all on the field for the Dodgers from the moment he was traded here in June of twenty sixteen, until the night that the Dodgers say goodbye to Chris Taylor in twenty twenty four. A man that was the co NLCS MVP in twenty seventeen. A man that made one of the greatest catches in NLCS history in twenty eighteen. A man that was an All Star in twenty twenty one and had a walk off wild card home run for the Dodgers. That is the one and only fan favorite CT three Chris Taylor. Chris, thanks a lot for coming on the show, and congratulations on a great career.
Speaker 4: Thanks Versa. That's a very nice intro. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, I wish I could go on and on, Chris, but I mean, the fans certainly have showed their outpouring of support for you. Were you surprised that you got as much attention as you did about your retirement?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Honestly, the way it all went down was kind of strange. I didn't I wasn't anticipating making it public, and then it ended up getting leaked, I guess, and then and then people thought I was unretiring, and it was like kind of embarrassing. So then I'm like, Okay, now I have to say something. But no, it was all fine. It was it was cool after I made the post or after it came out, seeing all the support. I got a lot of very nice texts, and yeah, it's cool to uh to see all the love, especially from Dodgers fans, obviously playing almost ten years with them and you know, still I still think they're the best fans in baseball. And yeah, it's it always feels good to know that you were appreciated.
Speaker 2: So there was no retiring unretiring. It was just some members of the media jumping the gun a little bit too fast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of a weird way it happened. I mean, long story short, I kind of told I was with the fault like these at the time, I kind of told them that I was done. I got hit by a pitch and fractured my arm.
Speaker 1: First.
Speaker 4: I don't think a lot of people know that, but I told them that I was going to probably that's it for me. I'm going to go home with my family. And then so I, you know, signed the papers and I think it was voluntary retirement. And then so that was the transaction and that got released right away, and then when we had it switched to the IL, you know, just to try to keep it under wraps a little bit, but it was too late at that point. And then when I got switched, people thought I unretired and was coming back. It was very strange.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I know you don't love attention, and it's never and it never has been about you, But I feel like you never really fully understood how much you meant to your teammates into your fans. Do you understand that a little bit more now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I always knew the Dodger fans were always great. They were always very supportive, and I always felt loved there. You know, obviously I had some tough years towards the end, but you know, I always felt like the fans. You know, there's always gonna be some a mix of especially when you're struggling, but I felt like the the there was plenty of loyal Dodger fans that still supported me even through my struggles, and I really appreciated that.
Speaker 2: No doubt they always will when you look back at your career, I don't know if you've had a chance to reflect, Have you had a chance to reflect on your career. Is it still too soon?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still kind of like I don't think it's fully hit me, you know. Right now, I'm just like kind of enjoying being home. I was away from my family for two months, you know, which was really tough in and Salt Lake, Utah, and my family was here in Manhattan Beach. I was flying back home every Sunday night after our games for our off day on Monday, and then meeting back up with a team on Tuesday, and you know, just to try to be here as much as I could with them while I was playing in Triple A. And that was just a really tough two months stretch. And for me obviously being away, and then for my family and my wife kind of basically being a single mom for two months, I was a grind. And so now I'm just kind of enjoying being a full time dad, stay at home dad, spending time with my family. We're going to do some things I've never gotten the opportunity to do. We're going to do some traveling and uh, yeah, so I don't think I've really fully reflected on it. But when the news of the retirement came out, you know, I saw the love and support, so that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor is our guest, a man that will never be forgotten in Dodger history. And can you believe that Dodgers are in Pittsburgh right now? Chris? And what do you remember about your first day in Pittsburgh wearing a Dodger uniform?
Speaker 4: That was my first game as a Dodger. I think it was yeah, yeah, very cool. I think I remember coming to the Dodgers and expecting to be way more nervous and than I was with the Mariners, just because it's the Dodgers. You know, It's like bigger stage, more fans, more publicity, higher expectation, and all of the above. And it was funny when I got there and stepped into the clubhouse. And I think that's part of what makes the Dodgers so good, was I wasn't very nervous at all. I was very comfortable. They do a great job of like letting all their players know like, you're here for a reason, we want you to be the best version of yourself, and there's no fear of failure. I feel like there's no hesitation. They want you to play aggressive, and you know, I felt that and I thought that was a big reason. It kind of brought out the best in me, where in the past I might have put too much pressure on myself, or prior to that, I might have put too much pressure on myself and played a little nervous or whatever it is, which would be common for many young players in the big leagues. And I think the Dodgers do a great job of letting their young guys specifically be comfortable in their own skin and do what got them there.
Speaker 2: Chris, I never asked you this, since we were always in the moment, and I didn't never wanted to put you on the spot more than I did. But you had a lot of close teammates, a lot of great teammates. What bonds did you form with those guys and how close are you still with the guys from that played with you from twenty seventeen to like twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, extremely close. I think those years you just mentioned, you know, those are some of that core group of guys. Those are some of my best friends. Those are probably, to me, my closest teammates and guys that I keep in touch with, you know, guys that were at my wedding, you know, my wife is great friends with their wives. So yeah, it's uh, it was a very close group, and you know that that's not gonna change now that I'm done playing.
Speaker 2: Did Corey seeger text? You I heard he's not a very good Texter.
Speaker 4: Me and Corey are both very similar in that way, But he did he did send me a tack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dream is one day to have a reunion with the twenty seventeen Dodgers for obvious reasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a that was a special group. I still think that might have been the best team I ever played on, even though we never won.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys were You guys were on another level that year. And do you remember the feeling you had when you hit that lead off home run in Game one of the World Series at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: Kind Of I've always said, like those big moments for me, I sort of black out, But I think there was definitely some shock. You know, that entire year was a bit of a shock for me to go from what I had where I was before that, and then, you know, have the best year of my career and the biggest moments in the World Series and I'll see s MVP. It is just like all these things. It didn't. It felt very surreal.
Speaker 2: You know, it's weird, I you know how nostalgic I get. But rightfully so. You had so many great moments. The team gave us so many great moments that Dodger fans hadn't had in so many years. The team was just in Milwaukee. And no, I'm not talking about the slide. I was. I was looking at the leftfield wall, CT, and I was just envisioning you taking that route to catch that fly ball in Game seven of the eighteen NLCS. That's the only thing I think about when I go to Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean definitely maybe my biggest probably definitely my biggest defensive moment of my career. And just I think as a player, when you look back at everything, those moments, moments like that at the biggest stage, you know, that's why you play the game. That's what you do it for. All the hard work, all the failure, like all the low points, it's all worth it because of moments like that.
Speaker 2: My other memory view CT is after you hit the walk off home run against the Cardinals in the twenty one wildcard game. If you fast forward after the NLDS and beating the Giants. At some point we were flying back to Atlanta maybe for Game six, and you were sitting in one of those first class seats and you were you just look really really drained, like you had given everything at that point in time for one hundred and six win team. It just seemed like such a grind for you guys to get to the NLCS and to try to win that thing.
Speaker 4: I don't remember the moment you're talking about, but I've had, I know, I mean, as I'm sure it's true the flights in the playoffs, and I think a lot of players can speak to this. Your body is so worn down, your mind is worn down, like because you're just so drained because you give everything you can in those games and a lot of them are long games. And yeah, so it doesn't surprise me at all. I know, in a lot of those flights, I am like, there's no way I'm gonna be able to play tomorrow or the next day or whatever it is. But of course, as players, you know, we kind of figure it out and find a way and are we bounce back quickly. But yeah, some of those flights in the postseason, guys are limping on and off that plane. It's no joke, Hey.
Speaker 2: Chris, is that what makes what the Dodgers have done the last two years that much more incredible? With everything that you just said, the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Are, Yeah, it's hard that baseball. It's so hard to go back to back because I feel like very rarely does the best team actually win the World Series in baseball. It's just like so much of it is who gets hot at the right time, and then also the fashion in which they did it last year the probably the best World Series I've ever seen in my lifetime. So yeah, that was a special World Series for them, for sure. That was pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: All right, Chris, We appreciate you coming on, and I love that I am sharing you with the fans because everybody appreciates how you left it all out on the field, and you do such great things still to this day. I mean, I just saw a photo of you showing up unexpectedly to surprise little leaguers, and you and Mary do such a great job with the CT three foundation. I have no doubt that's going to continue, and I'm just very grateful how humble you've been through your great time with the Dodgers. You've treated me like family. You've treated my kids like family, and I feel like LA will forever treat you like family because of everything that you've done in the spirit You've done it with so on behalf of Los Angeles and Dodger fans from the South Bay to Downey to the San Fernando Valley. Just thank you for everything you did and the way you went about it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Ves, and this feeling really as mutual. I have a love for the Dodgers and all of Los Angeles County. This is obviously my home now here in Manhattan Beach, and yeah, I'm very grateful for all of this love and support.
Speaker 2: If you ever need tickets to a game, let me know CT Well, well, keep in touch. Thanks for doing this, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: There, he goes. Chris Taylor, one of the iconic Dodgers of the last fifteen years, has been one of those guys that when you look back at this period of time of Dodger baseball, you will see a lot of Chris Taylor highlights because he meant that much to the team's success. And in case you didn't have a chance to call in in time to talk to Chris Taylor. I would love to hear your favorite Chris Taylor moment. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number more Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy. LA Sports A great guy to work with over his ten years as a Dodger. Chris Taylor, in case you missed it, joined us. If you want to hear the full conversation after the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And don't forget to continue to support Chris Taylor and his wife Mary. They do such great things with the CT three Foundation, and I really hope they keep that Polar Plunge rolling because it's such a great event in February. I mean now that he's not playing, they could do it in the summer. So that's a great event for a great cause and hopefully they keep it going. So thank you to Chris Taylor for coming on the show. And heyesus from South Almonte. You're on Dodger Talk. Great to hear Chris Taylor's voice. I know you wanted to get on to talk to him, but he had a run. But thank you for calling in.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, David, thanks for taking my call. I just wanted to share a story that I have from twenty twenty one Playoffs Game five versus the Brains. Me and my son went to the game and we would always take a jersey of who we thought would have a great game, and I took CT three's twenty twenty World Championship jersey, the gold Ones. Yeah, and he hit those three home runs at what man A croub went wild. A couple of people noticed that I had the jersey. They were recording on their phone. They would tell me turn around and h and record that I had the jersey. We're all jumping around, and my son was like that, you're probably the only one in the stadium wearing a CP jersey. I'd like to think there's other people wearing it, but man, that was one of the great memory that I got from CT three. Great guy, great player. I know he bled his heart out for Doctor Blue, and I just wanted to share that story with you guys.
Speaker 2: David, Hey, I love that story. Haeseus and those three home runs in Game five. Because the Dodgers didn't win that series, a lot of people forget about it. Jesus but that was a great game, another clutch, great game by Chris Taylor that year. You're one hundred percent right, and if Max Scherzer wouldn't have tapped out before Game six, they may have won that NLCS and gone to the World Series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was, he was.
Speaker 6: He got paid.
Speaker 5: That's why he didn't want to go. He didn't want to play that of the He didn't want to pitch that game.
Speaker 2: Esverdd Jesus, Esverdad. Thank you for calling in appreciate it. Hey, that's a great story and maybe one of the most forgotten great games. Chris Taylor had a three homer game in Game five of the twenty one NLCS. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers start a six game road trip tomorrow in Pittsburgh. Three in Pittsburgh against the Pirates and then three against the upstart young Chicago White Sox, who are just two games back of the Guardians in the nl Central or Al Central. And one of the young Dodgers that never really got a chance to play every day with Max Munsey and Freddie Freeman holding down the corners is Miguel Vargas, who is having an unbelievable great year for the White Sox and Miguel Vargas and the White so will face the Dodgers beginning Friday night on the South Side of Chicago, and there's a really good chance you could have Miguel Vargas starting at third base for the American League and Max Munsey starting at third base for the National League in July's All Star Game. And right now you can go to MLB dot com and vote for the All Stars. That's the way it goes now. So I would encourage you to vote not only for the Dodgers, but also for a guy like Miguel Vargas, who you know, just was a young player, never had the runway to be able to have the growing pains with Max Munsey and Freddie Freeman playing for the Dodgers trying to win a World Series. So you look back at that three way trade during the summer of twenty four between the Dodgers, the White Sox and the Cardinals. Out of those three teams, I would say the Dodgers in White Sox certainly came out on with the Dodgers winning the World Series, Tommy Edmond being a key part winning the NLCSMVP Michael Kopek, being healthy that year, was one of the bullpen dogs, a tremendous relief pitcher for the Dodgers in twenty four down the stretch and in the postseason. And the White Sox got Miguel Vargas, who you remember. After he was traded the White Sox were in Oakland. He looked very sad to be on the White Sox, but it gave him an opportunity to play every day and here he is having his breakout year. So this will be a fun road trip. It starts tomorrow with the Dodgers facing Paul Skens. Our coverage begins at two thirty with Tim Kats and Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch from P and C Park in Pittsburgh at three point forty with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. The only question is does Kyle Tucker and Mookie Betts come out of their season long slumps starting on this road trip might be hard tomorrow against Paul Skins, But who do you have a higher concern level for, Mookie Bets or Kyle Tucker. I'm gonna say both equally. I'm a little concerned Mookie Betts is thirty three years old. He does have one hundred and twenty at bats right now. I said, you got to give him some time, and Kenny Landro, the former Dodger, told me, you got to give this guy at least one hundred and fifty at bats before you start making a judgment on where Mooki Betts is at this season, especially coming off that strained right o bleak. So when you look at it, you have to give Mooky Bets the benefit of the doubt. But we're getting close to that point in time where we are going to send it to the jury here on whether or not Mookie Bets can come out of this, because it's the second straight year Mookie Bets has had a bad start to the season. And remember Mookie Bets didn't come out of slump until September and after five lessons hitting lessons with JD Martinez. JD. Martinez told us in spring training that he flew out to LA a couple of different times to work with Mookie Betts, on top of meeting him at an off site betting cage when the team was in Tampa, Florida in September. The only issue now is JD. Martinez is an official employee of the Mets. I'm not sure Uncle Stevie Cohen would appreciate JD. Martinez helping out Mookie Bets and the Dodgers now that he works for the Mets. Mookie's hitting a buck eighty three with six home runs and seventeen RBIs the only reason why he gets a little bit more of a grace period is because he's won three World Series in LA and he's playing a premium position and helping the Dodgers defensively. Can you say that about Kyle Tucker and right field, I'm not sure you can. Everybody bashed Taoscar Hernandez last year. Is Kyle Tucker that much better of a right fielder than ta Oscar Hernandez? I thought he was, and I would say he is maybe a little bit, but not by the margin that you would expect it to be. And my only concern about Kyle Tucker is that last year he had a wrist injury the second half of the season and was a two thirty hitter. He only hit five home runs and one hundred and forty three at bats the second half of last year, and so far this season that's exactly who he is with the Dodgers. The only difference is he is hitting some doubles. He has fifteen doubles and only five home runs. But if you take the second half of last year with the Cubs and the first half so far with the Dodgers, Kyle Tucker is a two thirty three hitter and his OPS is barely above seven hundred. Now, I will say this, the perception that Kyleyle Tucker does not care is completely false. I know for a fact he cares. I know for a fact he's not happy. But does it have to go back to what we've talked about with certain Dodgers that come over here. Is it too much analysis? Does the Dodger hitting coaches need to scale back the information they're giving Kyle Tucker. Does Kyle Tucker need to go more on the spectrum of Freddie Freeman to kind of move away from all that information. Sometimes less information is better for certain hitters. I don't know the inner workings of all that, but I do know the Dodgers, and we all know this, are very heavy in analytics, and maybe that is paralysis by analysis for certain players, especially a guy like Kyle Tucker. But Aaron Bates and Rob van Zoyek. How much are they really trying to change Kyle Tucker. They're just trying to help him be the best version of Kyle Tucker. I would imagine eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to see me, Valley, Ben, You're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi Ben.
Speaker 6: Hey, David, thanks for taking my call. Man loved the show. I was cool hearing from CT three. I wanted to bring up one of my favorite memories, or one that just stands out to me at least was one of It was twenty seventeen in the World Series Game five, that crazy back and forth game between the Astros and I remember Chris Taylor came up with two outs in the ninth inning and the and the Dodgers were losing, and he tied the game with a base hit. I think the Dodgers lost that game, but that's still a moment that came up to me. That just speaks to how clutch he was in those big moments.
Speaker 2: That was a wild game. A lot of people thought that was the most entertaining World Series game they ever saw. It was thirteen to twelve and it went into extra innings, and you're right, Chris Taylor had a big hit to tie the game in the ninth inning. I mean, when you talk about clutch players for the Dodgers from twenty sixteen to about twenty twenty two, I would say Justin Turner, I would say Key k Hernandez, and I would say Chris Taylor and Cody Bellinger. Those would be my foremost clutch players the Dodgers had during that period of time. And I actually forgot about that. That was an epic game that had so many different lead changes, and I forgot about that because of the way everything else went down. But yeah, Chris Taylor singled to score Austin Barnes off of Kris Davinski, a reliever for the Astros that year, one of the better ones. The Dodgers scored three runs in the top of the ninth inning to tie it at twelve. If they win that game, they win the World Series, even with the Astros cheating Ben.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I remember Quigue wasn't I think Quig hit a homer and Cody Bellinger too also, I think was part of that rally in the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: You're right, Yeah, great memory. That's right. Yeah, Cody Bellinger, uh was on base when Yasiel Puig hit a two run home run. So yeah, great, great memory. And it's unfortunate the Astros were cheating their way to the World Series.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's on the forefront of my mind because I just I just recently watched this really good PBS documentary that covered the whole Houston scandal. Really yeah, it's it's it's it's on PBS, and uh yeah, really good coverage. You know, they talked with insiders from you know, the Astros, the I think the whistleboat blower, the original.
Speaker 2: Guy who yeah, Mike Fires, the.
Speaker 6: Athletic Yeah, I think they interviewed him. Yeah, it was It was pretty good. Uh so did.
Speaker 2: They talk to any Dodger Mine?
Speaker 6: No, they didn't. They didn't. Even the twenty seventeen World Series was not covered as much as I would want it to be, But nonetheless I thought it was good, good information. I love documentaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully there's a greater documentary on all that, Ben, because I don't know how you do a documentary on the cheating Astros and not bring up the twenty seventeen World Series. I feel like everybody just wants to sweep that under the rug, including the commissioner at the time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. I remember when Cody Bellinger was asked about, you know, the punishment, he said, Manfred was weak, the punishment was weak. I thought that was so funny.
Speaker 2: I never saw Cody Bellinger that angry, Ben, that was in spring training. I was standing right there. I had never seen Cody Bellinger that angry and that ready to just have no filter speaking publicly that spring training when all that came out, and all the Dodgers rightfully so that were part of the seventeen World Series. I mean, think about this, Ben, What the Astros did changed lives. Rich Hill never had another chance after that year to win a World Series. Andre Ethier and Chase Sutley retired after Game seven of the seventeen World Series. Those two guys, at least Chase Suttley has a ring with the Phillies, but he put a lot into being a Dodger, and Ethier played his whole career with the Dodgers and never won. So, I mean, what those guys did is unforgivable. And as much as Major League Baseball wants all of us just to forget about it. There's no chance anybody in LA or New York will ever forget about it. That should have been that should have been a Dodgers Yankees World Series before a Dodgers Yankees World Series in twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah no.
Speaker 6: And that was another thing that this PBS documentary covered was the careers that the cheating scandal altered. It was there was a reliever and yeah, so got released that. Yeah, he got cut after he gave up some runs and it and it turned out after the fact that they were using the trash can against him. And he was interviewed in that documentary.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ben, thank you for the phone call. Call back anytime and hopefully after a Dodger win in Pittsburgh tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, thanks.
Speaker 2: Ben, appreciate it. Yeah, I mean think about this. I mentioned the players, the veteran players for the Dodgers, guys like Logan Forsyth, Andre Ethier, Chase Lee, rich Hill that never had a chance to win another World Series. At least three of them retired and then Richill continued to try to chase it just never got it. But think about Clayton Kershaw. If the Dodgers don't win in twenty twenty. Think about the narrative that Clayton Kershaw would have behind him in his career. Obviously there were time and look, I'm not gonna go through all of it because every season, every playoff series had its own unique characteristics on why things went sideways for Kershaw. But in twenty seventeen, he was on top of his game. Game one of the World Series, he shut down the Astros. Game five, he was on his game still, but they were cheating. They were taking sliders that nobody took all year long from Kershaw. His slider was nasty in Game five, go back and watch it. They continued to perpetuate the narrative that Kershaw couldn't win the big one in October, he couldn't deliver because remember he was taken out in the fourth or fifth inning after the Astros were, you know, seemingly responding after the Dodgers would put up crooked numbers. So uh, there were a lot of different people affected by that, more than what you know. And if you take a little deeper look into it, how many lives they changed. It's unforgivable. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number all right. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Like I mentioned, the Dodgers tomorrow will start a three game series in Pittsburgh and then head to the South Side of Chicago. The pitching matchups starting tomorrow will be Eric Lower against Paul Skeens, show, Hey Otani against Jerry Jones, Justin Robleski against Mitch Keller. Our coverage begins tomorrow at two thirty. First pitch from P and C Park at three forty and yeah, maybe terrorized Petros on the secret textoso about possible rain and Pittsburgh tomorrow, But I feel like first pitch is gonna get off on Uh, first pitch is gonna happen on time, so don't worry about it. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help, and thank you to Chris Taylor. It was awesome to have him on the show, his first interview since officially retiring. You can find all that on the iHeartRadio app. We will talk to you tomorrow before and after the Dodgers and Pirates get ready for Game one of the series at P and C Park. Have a great rest of your night. See you