Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American. He's got flown on seven hundred ww. We get the important stuff, by the way, then we have the fun stuff on this Friday morning when we lose our sleep. My god, Can someone who illegally possessed a weapon invoke self defense? Yeah? But here's a twist. Two felons shooting at one another are now each claiming self defense in the Riverfront Live shooting last weekend, So that is three in a row if you include the Fountain Square shooter. Do we have a trend here where thugs and criminals and gangbangers can shoot each other with impunity in our streets right around us, put us in danger. In the case of the nine people injured at Riverfront Live, I would say that's a hell yes, and then say, oh, I was just defending myself. If you're a street criminal and you in the act of we had another felony shoot at someone because of some stupid street beef, how the hell can you claim self defense? And this is a disturbing new trend is a question the legal pitfalls and such Jason Philbaum will break us down force of course extraordinary defense attorney for secutor and Butler County. Jason, welcome back. How are you there? We go, Jason, you're there? Ye okay, I got I got youa good before we begin on this one. Is there anyway we who can we sue, file and litigate and take to court regarding this loss of one hour on Sunday? Is there anything could be done legally about the time change? I thought Elon Musk was supposed to take care of that. I think I think he was promise that we wouldn't. Yeah, supposedly it's supposed to save money. And then I guess heart attacks go up with the day after. I mean, like that's just stops as time change. But I wish I knew.
Speaker 2: I wish I knew.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm a much serious, serious note here. So we had the March first mass shooting Riverfront Live nine wounded, eight hundred plus people.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: You had Freniy Cobb and Derek Long. One has just gotten out of prison and picks up a gun and sees this guy's got a gun his waistband. I don't know how he gets the security. That's another civil suit. I'm sure that's waiting to happen, as well as criminal suit. But nonetheless, they started a shoot up. Cobb had a long standing grudge against mister Long. They're both convicted felons, both prohibited from possessing firearms. It's weapons under disability. They're facing felonious assault charges in state court and federal charges for legally possessing a fireman's felons. That'll come later on, But the key legal tension here is you've got two thugs that are shooting it out in a place of little people, with no regard to the safety of complete innocent bystanders, and now they're both claiming self defense. This feels like a like almost like a legal loopholes of me, Jason, because we just saw this happen with the Fountain Square shooting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think what you're seeing in this case is, first of all, you got shooter one because and shooter two. So shooter one walks into this club seize his mortal enemy. That alone does not give rise to self defense. So you have to be in great bodily fear of great bodily harm or death.
Speaker 2: And so just.
Speaker 3: Seeing your enemy across the bar is not enough to get to that level. So he pulls out his gun and starts by and ends up hitting Shooter two. So Shooter two gets hipped and then he pulls his gun out and just starts firing indiscriminately. And I think that's that's where you kind of have.
Speaker 2: To break it down.
Speaker 3: If Shooter two was shot, I think he does have the right to self defense at that moment. So you are being shot, you're in fear of great bodily harm or death, so you pull out your firearm and you fire back. That action right in that moment is likely justified. The problem he has is he shouldn't have a gun, so he felt guilty of weapons while under disability when he left the home, when he went into the bar, and so on. At the moment, you know, I think there's an legal argument that you can probably grab a gun and defend yourself. But it'd be like if I'm a fellon and you're my buddy carrying and someone shooting at us, and I grab your gun and fire back, I probably can get out of a weapons w under disability charge. But the fact that I carried it and left home with it, I think he's you know, he might get himself a not guilty on the blowing the assault of shooter one, but I don't see him getting it. Not guilty on the weapons wonder, it's still got it.
Speaker 1: So Jerry believes Long generally feared for his life. They can acquit him on followings assault even while federal prosecutors can get him on weapons under disability. It's it's separate charge, yes.
Speaker 3: And the other thing you've got to think about too, which is you have it when you're exercising your right to self defense, you still have a duty to be reasonable and that's in the statute as well. So the fact that he fired indiscriminately into a crowd could rise to the level of other charges. You know, if someone were to die, you could be charged with involuntary manslaughter or reckless homicide. If someone you know is just seriously injured, then you're looking at potentially reckless assault, you know.
Speaker 2: So you know, think about if you and I.
Speaker 3: Are fighting and you pull out your gun and then I pull out mine. I'm acting in self defense, I fire and it either goes through you or just misses you and hit some kid behind you. There's some liability there, and I think, you know, it's sort of like the example of a Breonna Taylor in Louisville where that officer on the outside just started firing it the right you know, the applying that, Yeah, that that action was deemed to be criminal, and he got charged. So I think, you know, if you have a situation where you fire one shot and it goes through the bad guy and hit someone behind there, I'm guessing the jury.
Speaker 2: Might give you a path with you being reasonable.
Speaker 3: But if you just you know, have a you know, clip of fifteen bullets and you're just firing, you know, in the direction of the guy that shot you, and then you know, eight people get hit, I'm not sure a jury would find your actions to be reasonable there.
Speaker 2: So that's another thing you have to look at in this case.
Speaker 1: Okay, stanyar ground as a wrinkler, correct, because it does apply. It's a constitutional aspect of this thing. But the fact that both men were committing felony crimes by carrying guns does that change that analysis? Does that change that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it does.
Speaker 3: You have to look at the fact that they walk out of their house already committing a felony and so that's another thing to look at too, which is, you know, there's an argument of is it a felony murder charge because they're committing a felony by carrying a firearm, and then you know people are are dead because of it. There's maybe approximate cause there that a jury will have to look through as whether or not it's an involuntary manslaughter or a felony murder. But at the end of the day, they're they're carrying a firearm when no, they can't. Yeah, so that already shows that there's some some criminal conduct there. And so if you know, with a Fountain Square shooter, I think it seemed pretty clear the guy just pulled out a gun, fired and then video evidence shows him firing back and being reasonable in that regard and so that But in a situation here where these guys just look across the room and then you know it's it's you know, like the wild West, they just pull their guns and start shooting at each other, I'm not sure jury's going to find their actions to be reasonable. And you know, the standard ground just means you don't have to be you don't have to retreat before you use your your response be force, but it's still have to be reasonable. You can't just start blindly shooting into a like like a.
Speaker 1: House like that. Breonna Taylor officer did defense attorney Jason Philibamon with Sloane here on seven hundred WYLW involving going back to the Riverfront live shootings of oolus. Two subjects that shot at each other and nine people and some people got hit, and they were both of them prohibited under federal law because of past convictions from owning, possessing, touching, even thinking about or even making a finger gun. And yet we saw what happened there, and now they're both claiming self defense, which feels like some sort of standoff here in a different way in the courtroom, maybe they're both claiming self different Can two people in this same gunfight both legally claimed self defense or there's a law force conclusion one of them has to be the aggressor.
Speaker 3: Well, they both can claim it, and then theoretically they both could have an independent jury find that they acted in self defense.
Speaker 4: But under this that.
Speaker 1: They're both victims. That's kind of weird. Yes, yeah, that's theoretical. So in a law school exam, you know, that's that's an answer for anyone listening. But technically speaking, you know, you cannot claim self defense if you are the cause, if you are the aggressor, and so a jury is going to look at if they were to look at this case, a jury's going to decide who they.
Speaker 2: Think the aggressor is.
Speaker 3: And you know, so far, the evidence seems to show that shooter one pulled and just started shooting first, and then shooter two got shot and then pulled. Under those facts, I think a jury will determine that shooter one is the aggressor.
Speaker 1: Now, so, sob Cob fired first, Okay, Cob Pulsy Derek Lung pulls a gun out shoots him or shoots at him, I guess anyway, does that being an initial aggressor, does that completely eliminate any self defense claim that the cod can raise her?
Speaker 3: Theoretically, yes, It's one of those things too where you and I. Let's say I walk up to you and I push you, and I call you a name, and then I start to walk away and you pull out a knife and come at me. You know, a jury could find that then you escalated it from a simple push and a name calling to a now deadly assault, and then I'm allowed to use deadly force. But again, that's something that a jury is going to have to decide. And I think most jurors are going to say, look, if you walked up to some guy, push him and call him the name and then a fight ensues, I don't think you can claim self defense because you were the initial aggressor. Now, what a defense attorney is going to try to say is, look, he pushed him and called him a name and then walked away. That's the end of that transaction. The next transaction was Scott pulling an ice. Now you have a whole new situation. Scott's the aggressor and Jason is a defender. And so you know that's what a defense attorney's going to do. He's going to try to take that one action, split it in the two, and then the prosecutor.
Speaker 2: Is going to say, no, this is all one action.
Speaker 3: You walk in, you push Scot, you call him a name, and then a fight happens. You can't claim self defense. And so I think the other thing you're starting to see is people just claim self defense. They've been doing that since the beginning of time. And jurors look at it very closely and they start splicing that up. Is who was the aggressor who started it? Was the person's actions reasonable? And at the end of the day, you know, right now, self defense is themes that will be applied when when it's genuine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, this also goes back to the Cincinnati brawl back in July that Alex Cherinski Ford failed with the white guy was charged in this case. You know, the the video evidence indicates that Montus Merriweather, Jermaine Matthews, and Donna Vernon are the ones who started this one. Particularly Mayweather was taunting, pushing, shoving the white guy in this case. So if you turn around and throw a punch at someone, you know, we're talking about gun laws here and stand your ground. But the same thing applies. If you feel you're under threat great bodily harm, you can defend yourself. That's gonna you can't have it both ways, right. We can't look at this case and go, well, they're going to but turn around and throw the book at Aleis Dirinsky. It's just it's not gonna work that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And a lot of it comes down to the fact, you know, so if I'm you know, if you've been threatening me, you've been coming to my house, you've been throwing rocks in my window, you've been you know, doing all these pattern of conduct. And then I happen to be walking down the street and I see you coming at me menacingly, then one could argue I act and self defense when I pulled my fire on first. But aposcy, you're gonna say, wait a second, all Scott did was just, you know, walk towards you. That's not a life threatening action, and so you didn't have a right to use deadly force. And that's another thing a jury's going to look at. If I push you, then you theoretically can push me back to get me away, and that would be that would be self defense because you are using the appropriate force, non deadly force. But you can't use deadly force when someone's using non deadly force, and that's another thing to look at. So again, if I come up and push you and then you pull out a knife and stab me, one could argue that you have used deadly force to only repel non deadly action. And so that those are things that the jury has to decide, and that's what the attorneys and prosecutors are going to argue about when when we get to a jury.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Jason Phillibaum Cobb had a long standing grudge against long How does premeditation factor to this. It does.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's another situation where if I go to a place where I know you're going to be, I can't sit there and claim self defense when you all of a sudden come at me pretty pretty rough. I mean, obviously I can claim that, but a jury is going to look at that very skeptically, which is, if if I know you're at a place and I fear for my life, then going to that place actually is counterintuitive. I don't really fear for my life if I'm going to a place where I know you're at. And so the fact that there's premeditation of trying to find somebody, I think takes away from the argument that you were in fear for your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotcha. So this is going to be referred al to the federal court for the weapon under disability charge. But why wouldn't the self defense argument work there?
Speaker 3: Because in that particular case, all they have to prove is you had a weapon while under some federal or criminal or other disability. And so, first of all, a lot of people get confused of disability, meaning like you know, you can't walk or you're in a wheelchair or something like that. That disability for criminal is if you have a felony, a prior felony or crime of violence, or maybe even a protection or you are prohibited from having a firearm.
Speaker 2: So that's called a legal disability.
Speaker 3: So if you are possessing a firearm while under that legal disability, that's all the prosecutor has to show. And so they may try to argue self defense at the moment of the shooting. But you still had the gun when you left the house. You still had the gun when you went into this bar. He's probably drinking and having that at the bar, and that's another issue that consider. So that's all they have to prove, and so self defense will not apply to carrying a weapon while under disability.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Jason Philibaum. The Second Amendment advocates argue that weapons under disability unfairly stripped people of their inalienable, god given inalienable rights. The second then, in particularly to self preservation and self defense, is this case or a case like this where a prohibited person appears they have generally needed a gun to survice, does that make the argument stronger?
Speaker 3: Well, that's an interesting argument that they've been making for years. But you know, when you're talking about, like the red flag laws. I think that's where you get into a whole due process issue and at what point, you know, do you have the right Second Amendment right? But when you have been found guilty of a criminal offense and you're looking at a situation where a person's gone through the jujitsial system, has gone through due process, and they have found that you're guilty of that offense, either by plea or by jury, then at that particular case, that's where the course of hell that your Second Amendment right is taken away. Just like you have a right to vote, You have a right to you know, constitutional right to vote, but if you have a felony, the Supreme Court and other courts of hell that you can take that away because of your felony status. And again there's you know, freedom, We have the right to freedom, but if you commit a crime and you go to prison, your freedom's taken away. So I think that's the analysis the courts that I used, where if you've gone through due process and you have that criminal history, then they can take that right away.
Speaker 1: Are we going to see this now as a legal template? Jason Philibaum and that this weapons under disability defendant argument that you know, you put yourself in a situation where you're going to go see your mortal end me or carrying a weapon under disability, and you engage with another person who probably has a weapon under disability. Is that going to be the now legal template here, that it's just going to be a self defect or self defense claim and kind of law clean that up.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they'll make that argument every time, but I don't think a jury and a prosecutor is going to buy it again. They have to look at the fact. I think if I had a firearm in my house and some guys breaking into my house and then at the end of the day I had a weapons under disability, that's where the self defense claims you can actually give maybe some peace to their defense. But when you leave the house, when you go to bar hoppin and you go whatever, carrying a firearm, when you know that you're not able to then theoretically at that defense where to fly, then weapons under disability would would go out the window anyway. So I don't think that's going to I don't think it's ever going to be extended where you can just carry it.
Speaker 2: All times because some guy doesn't like you.
Speaker 3: I think at the end of the day, you have to look at the specific situation at the moment, and you might be able to get out of the Flonius assault or murder charge, but you're not going to really be able to beat that weapons water disability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the hard case. It's all start down in court, not just also in Hamlin County, but obviously federally as well for these individuals. And at the same time, I feel badly for the owner of Riverfront Live. We tried to do everything he could to make sure it was a safe environment and yet at least two people who shouldn't have guns brought guns into the venue. There's going to be a huge civil lawsuit involving this as well, with millions and millions of dollars at stake. Jason Philibaum, defense attorney, Thanks for coming on the show. Have a great weekend. Good luck with the time change.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Be well. Scott's Sloan Show continues after news update in just seconds here on seven hundred WW We'll get Will Gants on our ABC Entertainment guy Britney Britney Spears is in jail let me ask you something, Is there anyone more of a rock star than Britney Spears doing stuff that rock stars do? I mean, Harry Styles is dropping a new album, will come with that. Look at Harry Slad. That's a rock set.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Britney is doing rock and roll stuff right there, getting pop for Dewey. We'll get into that next seven hundred ww Scott's Sloan Show seven hundred w old wit a right though. Will Gan's running a little bit late, a little bit late, no worries. We'll get him in in just a couple of minutes and talk some entertainment stuff, because you know what's I mean. Either if you go out, the weather's like a little sunny right now, and Sunday is supposed to be nice. You got to f C by the way, so weather should be good for that. But let's face it, you know, even you're gonna go out, go to a park, go golf or something, it's gonna be a little saggy, a little little saggy. So anyway, Will's come up. I got to ask him about the Britney Spears thing got popped for d u Y. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by about Britney falling off the wagon again. But man, it's just it's such a rock and roll thing in a day and age where don't we kind of need somebody that's that's a little bit rock and roll, not and not not playing the part, but actually like living it. And if you're younger, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Yeah, there was a time when rock stars used to do crazy stuff. And the stories right now, if I were to say them on the air, I'd probably get I'd probably wind up getting in trouble for I'd probably get docks or just telling you the stories that rock and rollers used to do back in the day, and we looked at like, if you're younger, that's cool, and today is like, well that's actually that's like a crime. Anyway, more with Will coming up in minutes on seven hundred WLW later in the morning, we'll get to Austin Elmore about an hour from now, talk some sports and and there's a lot going on. Of course, the news about Hunter Green and that injury leaves you scratching your head because go back to last season where he has elbow issues. It's like, okay, season's over, He's going to get fixed up. I don't know if he just had an injection or whatever. Now season starts throws like what four innings, and he's headed back here. He's back in Cincinnati now from Goodyear to get a couple consults on that right elbow stiffness he has going on, and it's like, well, wait a minute, it's the same elbow and you just did you have surgery in the off season? No, you got some injections. Well, should you have had surgery on the elbow then when you had the time to be able to recover fully for it. Now you're about to start the season and we're not going to know the full medical picture here on I'm guessing for another few days before we I guess that has to be released anyway. But you know, now you look at the rotation and go, okay, well you don't have If you don't have Hunter Green, you still have Abbott and Lodolo and Singer and Burns. And you know, we're talking about that fifth spot competition where r at Lauder looked really, really good and beating Cuba, but that's Cuba and Burns is pushing them to as well. Williamson, who was out all of last season, he's back in play. I mean, you do have some options there, but you still one hundred green, right, So that's a great question as to what the hell happened. Anyway, hopefully Austin has answers for us coming up at the ten thirty five this morning here on seven hundred WLW. I will point out also speaking of stuff this weekend outside of baseball, you do have Bockfest happening downtown. They are all over the place. They're all over the places. Just have why you're looking for something to do? Now, speaking of baseball, this is really interesting. This woman is suing the Dodgers after she was hitting the shoulder with a buzz ball. Have you ever see a buzzball? Buzzball is it's an alcoholic drink. This is why I know it. It's an alcoholic drink that's in the shape of a ball. It's like a circular drink container. And she's spring draining and got hit in the I guess hitting the shoulder with a drink content Oh no, it was the last August. I thought it was spring training. I'm sorry. She thought it was thrown or dropped from an area above her. Someone was drinking this round can and it fell and hit her in the shoulder. She says the impact caused immediate pain, bruising and swelling, and the loss of normal use of her arm completely shut it down with a buzzball, and so it's negligence, it's liability that Dodgers should not have sold drinks and that type of container. She suffers from physical pain, emotional distression. Of course, loss of enjoyment, and your arm would definitely cause you a loss of enjoyment. Loss of enjoyment for me would mean I can't use my arm. Therefore I can't consume buzzballs. But don't you think that any can, I mean, any vessel that they sell alcohol in outside of maybe a paper or plastic cup like that could be a weapon. I mean, a full can of beer is pretty dangerous. So I don't know. You might be sitting in the moon deck, for example, and I don't know, oh, you know, in the second level something like that, in one of the bougie luxury boxes and the can slips out of your hand and hit somebody. That's entirely possible. Or you're dumb drunk buddy tries to throw you a can and it hits and right that that's completely post special to like a Bengals game. I don't think the Dodgers should be on the hook for that, like they didn't make the container. But again, you have odd lawsuits, so I guess if I don't know if the red cell buzzballs or not, I'm not sure, but if they do, maybe bring some shoulder pads if you think you're in danger, like this woman from la Is. You got me all right, so we'll stand by, let's do this, let's reset, I'll get a time out in and then we return. I'm gonna ask him specifically about Britney Spears because she's popped again for a d UI. Again. I have no idea why. I'm just absolutely fascinated with the story because it's a d u I and I'm you know, I'm not making lighter encouraging people to drink or you get all worked up. I'm just saying that we that that's a rock star thing. That she fires Harsy bre a sobriety coach, and what do you think happened? She winds up getting hammered and getting behind the wheel and from the video she looked pretty drunk. And then there was that weird video of her dancing like in her hallway or foyer or whatever it was, and that looked a little weird as well. So now you look at Britney Spear with that kind of cock eyed dog here going what's going on with that girl? But you think about it, nobody's doing that stuff anymore. If they is, it's covered up like well, I got on a rehab and you just, you know, everything is just so sterile these days. She's pretty raw. We'll get into that next after a quick update here. Scottslone Show continues on seven hunderd W.
Speaker 4: Now from the glittering streets of New York with vain and fortune, I'm more than just strip of names. Here is ABC's Will Gans from New York.
Speaker 1: Will Gans welcome, good morning. Is there anyone more rock and roll this day and age where we need more rock and roll? Is there anyone more rock and roll than Britney Spears?
Speaker 4: That is not where I thought this question was going. But maybe not, maybe not think about that. No one is keeping the fans guessing or more on edge or more concerned than she is these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know, you know, society, it all changes and we have different feels than we did before. But like back in the day, somebody a rock and roller or do something like I don't know, get to get a massive car crash and kill people. Now you celebrate that. Now today it's a whole different. But like, she got another dui, she fired her sobriety coach, and now she's jammed up in this thing and the family's losing their mind. And it's like we just have that drama all the time during rock and roll, and now it's like, yeah, oh my god, she's a victim and it's a terriblestuck rather than going it's just a rock and roll thing. Man, she's rock. There's no one more a rock and roll than Britney spears her. I can't. I'm trying to think who else would be rock and roll? And that's it. It's kind of sad.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the key that's missing here is that she's not making music anymore. So it's like, yeah, I think you have to you have to be making music points and getting arrested, which is you know, we're only halfway into the equation.
Speaker 1: So it would be then who is the current rock and roller? I mean, I'm going to leave hip hop out of this because that hip hop became rock and roll, right, they do hip hop stuff. Yeah, I can't think of anyone.
Speaker 4: I meant either, and I and I think to your point about like times have changed, Like I don't know that fans would be as forgiving if people were getting in fights or were getting arrested. You know, it's just like there's shift. Yeah, there's no room for that anymore.
Speaker 1: I think there is. There's no you know, the I'm sure the grippy things still happen, but you don't hear about it wasn't as celebrated and revered as it was. I just yeah, and you don't look like, wow, what are you saying that that's okay?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: It's like tastes and times and things changing, we have all. I get that, but man, it used to be all the rock and roll. And I mean like they do stuff on purpose time like when when hell, when who is a Joe Wallace joined the Eagles, Like they brought him in because they're looked at as a country kind of soft band, and like he'd go trash hotel rooms and they tried to get that edge about him, you know. So it was I mean, just it just times have changed for sure. So yeah, Brittany is rock and rolling in one. Harry Styles I think is going to be the new because he drops an album this week. I think Harry Styles is going to do that. Right, He's gonna go nuts.
Speaker 4: I mean, we'll see if he goes nuts, but at least his fans are going to. At least the fans are going nuts over this new album. It's called Kiss All the Time Disco Occasionally came out today and he is putting on a concert. It's his first concert in over three years, and Netflix is filming it and they are releasing it on Sunday, and that'll be at three pm Eastern, It's like seven pm his time in London. But it is a big concert special and it's one of those things that like, this is what I love. You know, if we're going to be paying a billion different subscriptions for all of these different streaming services, at least like we're getting to see artists putting on concerts from the comfort of our own living room. Because ticket prices to the actual shows, whether that's at Madison Square, Gardener wherever, are like seven hundred bucks. So it's like, I do love when that you know, whoever is able to experience this artist and this music, you know, in a way that you know, we wouldn't have been able to maybe five or ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's got a number of number ones, I mean, and so he's going to do new stuff. But will he do as it was in Watermelon Sugar and Adore You and all those times?
Speaker 4: I would think yes, I mean, it would be crazy not to. We don't know for sure. I think this thing is filming tonight in Manchester, so we should have a better idea of what the setlist looks like tomorrow morning. But how could he not you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean it's you're not gonna I hate one artists do that where I'm just doing this stuff that I want to hear. It's like that's such a turnoff. And there's artists that.
Speaker 4: Do that right right you know over' here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I play to take play, to play some of the hits to get it, you know, you want you're you're releasing new stuff and some of the songs could be iconic in the future, who knows, But you got to mix in the hits too as well. I know that. Uh, let's keep it on the on the big screen. Here we have a new animated feature out. I saw that. I've seen the trailer. I think I've seen the commercial for it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this is the new Disney Pixar movie.
Speaker 1: It's called Hopper.
Speaker 4: It's about a college student, yeah, who uses some experimental technology basically to put her mind into a real life looking like a robotic beaver so that she can team up with the actual beavers in her town and help them protect their habitat from the mayor who wants to build a highway right through the middle of like the wilderness preserve. So it's very cute, it's very funny. John Hamm is the voice of the mayor.
Speaker 3: He's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Uh. There's some snl alum that are also voice acting in this movie. But it does with picks our dues best, which is, you know, if you go to see it with the kids or the grandkids or whatever, there's plenty of stuff in there that the adults will connect with and then kids will be entertained as well. And it's it's funny, it's it's touching.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It has ninety six percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics like it too. It's yeah, yeah, it's it's I think it'll do pretty well this weekend.
Speaker 1: Very rarely does Pixar miss very, very very rarely.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, especially when it's like a new ip like this. It's usually, you know, slightly more exciting, I would say, than maybe you know a sequel or a three quel or whatever. But you're right, picks our no matter what it is, it rarely miss out.
Speaker 1: I have a although I'm concerned Will about this whole genre. So in the past, we've had dinosaurs, we've had dragons, We've had a Shrek, we've had donkeys, we've had ants, we've had squirrels, we've had chipmunks, we've had birds, we've had dromedaries, We've had all those things. And I think this is the first movie like this the genre. It features a beaver. I'm concerned we're running out of animals. Not that the beaver isn't need to be represented, but we've had giraffes. I'm trying to think of all the like, there are no animals, there's gonna be no animals left soon like this, this field. This to me, it feels like, seriously, Will Peter should really be involved in this.
Speaker 4: And I'm you know, I'm certain that they will get involved, you know, as soon as they find out about the issue at hand. But it does feel you know, but leave it to Pixard. They'll come up with such time. They'll do a movie about a book that comes to life, or an office chair or whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: They'll figure it out. Yeah, I'm just thinking the whole genre animals involved. But yeah, Bambi, right classic, it's a deer. Okay, we did a deer. We had elephant with Dumbo, and you think back in a long, long through history. You work all the way through and you go, all right, now we're into Beaver's, which is a good animal to do. It's about time beaver has been represented here. I'm just wondering in the future, are we just are we going to run out of new animals to turn into adorable things to sell kids at Christmas time?
Speaker 4: It does feel like we're at almost that capacity. But there's I mean, there's gotta be you know, you can also do baby versions of the animals they've already done.
Speaker 1: It's a good that's a good point. Yeah, I forgot about the baby that we'll have. We're gonna have baby right now. Will Is just shaking his head wishing the segment we're over Will Gance from New York this morning on seven hundred ww's ABC's multiplatform guy. He does everything he's at. Will Gantce with two s's his least favorite segment of the week. Okay, So we also have rooster on HBO now, So if you're going to watch them streaming this weekend with all the rain and such that we're going to have rooster, it's not and this is not an animated rooster to be sure, right, so we're not going to have a cock on HBO.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give this one too, you quickly because I got a jump in I know you do. Sir is Steve Carell. This is Steve Carell and he plays an author. His daughter's a college professor. She's having a bit of a personal crisis or marriage is falling apart. So he goes to the college campus where she works to help her, you know, kind of get get her life back on track. And it is from Bill Lawrence, which is the guy that does Shrinking and Ted Lasso.
Speaker 2: So it's it's.
Speaker 4: Equal parts funny and heartwarming. And episode one, which drops on Sunday, ends with sort of a big, oh my gosh, what just happened moment that I think will set the tone for the rest of the season. But it's very it's very funny, he's amazing in it, and I think it's definitely worth worth checking out on Sunday on HBO.
Speaker 1: Gotcha all right? Will? He really doesn't have to go. He just says that because he's done with the conversation. No, I get it. I get I don't blame you at all. You have a great week. I appreciate you, all right, you too? Thanks again? Yeah, Will Gancet does not like man who cares about beaver? What are you making a big deal of? We make a big deal about that. For so we got beaver's And you know, the most dangerous animal in the world is the most dangerous animal mosquitoes. Have we had a animated Pixar about mosquitoes, that's a good question. The mosquito's very very dangerous. And when we've had animated crocodiles, hit Fiano gets a lot of love. That's Hippo's a very very dangerous animal. Elephants a very very dangerous animal. We've had bees they try to make ben I you know, I hate the bees. The mosquito's are number one killer. I don't know if we have a pack of mosquitoes, some like rabbit. Why don't you choose like some dark rabbit. Pick picture should go off the rails do like a horrid thing. Whereas you know, it's this cute little I don't know deer, but it got bitten by something. It's radioactive like Spider Man, and it just attacks and eats people. Wouldn't that be odd, That'd be amazing. I'd watch that. I'd watch that. Will you still there? No? No, I didn't think so.
Speaker 6: This is.
Speaker 1: This is why he hates me. We'll get a time out in We've got news in just a few minutes. The Scott's Loan Show continues here on the Home of the Reds. They are on fire Fire now in very red light fashion, of course. Now Hunter Green, who was injured the Enze last sea with the elbow, uh looked terrible for a few innings and now realizes that, well, maybe we should have had that surgery in the off seas And here we go, here we flip and go uh Austin Elmore ten thirty five on that and lots of sports happened this weekend. So there you go, get sports against stream. We got you covered. It's Friday morning here at the Scott Sloan Show on seven hundred WLW. Do you want to be an American Friday brother and sister. Let's go. Let us go kicking through on this Friday morning. Is the Scott Sloan Show on seven hundred w WELW. If you thought the tide pod thing was stupid, this is next level dumb.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I will say that things like the tide Pod challenge or the cinnamon maybe that's cinnamon challenge, because it's I'm looking one's going to die from that where you just put a ton of cinnamon in your mouth and my god, what could possibly happen? It is a spice after all. But the tide Pod challenge, there's gonna be some eight year olds that might try that. But you know, the the handwringing and pearl clutching and feurism by those on social media, those especially on news platforms, Let's say it's not a lot of people are looking at go yeah, I'm gonna eat a tide pod. I will say that as a tide user and a big fan of the Procter and Gamble Brands. Tide is a staple in the Sloan laundry room. It looks delicious. I mean, if you look at it, it looks really delicious. Do you need to make it look really delicious? No, it can just be a like a cascade pod. It's used to be this hunk.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's got like an eyeball in the middle of it. I don't know what that is, and it could be the logo for the Illuminati. I'm not quite sure what that little round thing is in the middle of it, and it's it's like it doesn't look as delicious as a ti Tide pod. Looks like that would be amazing, amazingly delicious. But I know it's detergent and I probably shouldn't need it, probably should not eat it unless I have COVID and I want to I want to kill the COVID. Well, no, that was lysol. I think this new one is even dumber than that. Because you gonna make a case. You're tired. Pot look good and I was high and I was hungry. Door dash, I don't have any money. It's called bone smashing, and it's exactly what you think it is. It's a viral TikTok trend. We're individuals. Often young men intentionally hit their facial bones with hammers or bottles or massage tools or meat tenderizers, because the idea is if you do that, the microfractures in those bones will heal and you'll it'll result in a more sculpted, chiseled or masculine face structure. And I emphasize this is often young men. And why is it often young men? Because we are flipping stupid. That's why we're that dumb. I'd often rip on you know some of the stuff women do, was like do you really need all those purses and the like why do you guys care? You know, you got to put makeup on for two hours and then you go to I don't go outside and weather like this and your hair just completely falls apart, so you look good for until you walked outside. I don't understand why you got to spend all that time and money doing makeup. And I don't know you got me but that you know that's smart? Is it hurting anyone?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: This is this is this guys you know as young it's stupid. It's testosterone. So you're gonna you're gonna take a hammer and hit yourself in the face with it hard enough to fracture bone in the thought that somehow, some way it will cause that bone to grow back differently. That's literally, it's not how it works outside of the pain factor, which is no pain, no gain. I get that, Bra, brah hey, Bra. Is the fact that the swelling is gonna have the exact opposite effect of what it is you're seeking do now maybe weeks in some cases months later, perhaps perhaps the swelling goes down, but it's not going to cause your face all of a sudden if you've got to to have a chisel jaw line and just that I don't understand. I mean, it just seems like somebody went online when on TikTok and said, I wonder if anybody will fall for this and punch themselves in the face or smack themselves with a hammer like it's a Warner Brothers cartoon and think that somehow it's going to be fine. I'm sure there's somebody out there doing it, but I think most of this stuff is like it's a gag. It's a bit like they're punking you to see if stupid people. I just don't think I mean, quite honestly, I don't think that despite the fact this is now a news story, a lot of people are going to do it now, there are dumb people out there that will think I'll do that. I mean, hell, look at it this way. You've got people in the hood every once in a while to hear those stories. Well, they'll go to a I don't know someone who is going to give them botox injections out of the backseat of their car, right, you've seen those. I know a guy, Yeah you want okay, so you want bigger boobies? I get it. Who doesn't? And I got a guy that can do that, but he's doing it out of the back of his his camera. I don't think like at some point that it's a good price. I'm all for a bargain and of value. I don't know if I want to get a surgical procedure done on the back of a ninety two selica. Just saying a lot of dumb people out there. This is a more serious story. And my eyes were opened last year when we were in Australia because almost every single uber or lyft there was a gorgeous ev from a brand I've never heard of because there they have a lot of Chinese cars and the fit, the finish, the quality. Talking to the drivers are like, yeah, it's things. Man is reliable, it's wonderful. Chinese automaker BYD has released a new electric vehicle battery. Say what you will about evs, but listen to this. It can charge from ten percent to ninety seven percent in nine minutes. Normally that would take an hour and a half. Now the demand previews are slowing down. I would think partly because well, it takes long time to charge a battery. If they can solve that one, watch out and we ignore the Chinese. I think we ignore the Chinese automatedfacture are on peril. But it almost feels like you know, Japan coming out in the nineteen eighties at up into the American auto industry, just saying, but that is one too, definitely want to put on your radar. How about that been ten percent to ninety seven percent in nine minutes. Now you've got to have a hell of a lot of electricity and in a pretty big line, a big pipe if you will, to do that. But it's still possible, just saying. Scott's Thlonan show It's Friday morning, Quick Timeout onw Scott Show back on seven hundred W welw or our buddy Steve Belcoll from the Claremont County Veteran Services Commission, where he with an iron fist, is the executive director and run things really tightly. Now not just in Claremont County. Keep in mind, there's eighty seven other counties in Ohio where you can get care from your Veteran Services Commission. The taxes go to fund that to be a conduit between veterans their needs and of course government resources and anytime you got to deal with the government, you know, there could be some issues there, but they make it a seamless process. Steve, welcome back. I've been so I'm absolutely well, sir. How are you. Everything's fine here. Let's talk about probably one of the bigger things that people think of is in that you have all these appointments at the VA with the VA, and that is getting from your home to that appointment, and this is where you guys step in and do it quite well.
Speaker 7: You know, I have a great group of drivers and I'm supported exceedingly well by my commissioners to do the task that we're designed to do of one of them get veterans to and from.
Speaker 1: Their VA appointments.
Speaker 7: And if you've ever as a veteran driven to downtown Cincinnati, VA, you will immediately recognize the absence of available parking.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it.
Speaker 7: Is a great service to have a door to door transportation service that doesn't cost you a dime.
Speaker 1: And you can get door to door because you know, there's only so many handicapped spots that you have and typically as you get older, you need to care it's going to be tough to get from that big parking lot to the entrance alone. So this is right up to the front, right up to the front door. Good are they primarily vans? How many I'm going.
Speaker 7: To do five vans? Okay, actually four vans and an suv. So the ability to get in and out one we need the veteran to be ambulatory. Yeah, the veteran needs to be able to get in and out of the vehicle on their own. Okay, our wheelchair bound. You know, if you have a walker just a little unstable, that's fine. You have a cane, fine. We have a special contraption we put in the door jam and they can hoist themselves up in. But what I can't have is my drivers who all retirees veterans themselves, They're not going to have the strength or the semino to be able to lift people up into a van.
Speaker 1: That make makes sense. So someone in a chair, what would they do?
Speaker 7: So someone in a chair can still call, but we will establish the ride with Claremont County Senior Services so that their non ambulatory wheelchair lift.
Speaker 1: Provided you're not left in the cold, you're taking care of a guest, gets coordinated. God good, that makes sense. Typically do you have do you make multiple you go to different houses like a bus witter, you just go right to that person.
Speaker 7: You're the only person in that van. Depends on the day. There are some days where with having only five vehicles that three four veterans have appointments within fifteen minutes thirty minutes of each other. It's easier to do a multiple run and pick up three vehicle or pick up three veterans on the way on the route and then take them to to the VA and then bring them back home. But typically it's normally a pick up one, take them to the VA, bring them back home.
Speaker 1: Okay. One of the other things is you know, not all appointments at the VA. So the appointment outside the VA, is this that included for veterans.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say it with the caveat. If the VA originated the appointment to a third party physician, we will take the veteran, all right. If it's your primary care physician that happens to be out in town, then no, not necessarily it has to be VA originated.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, are there restrictions who can ride? You mentioned the disabilities, but anyone else could need to bring a caretaker with you.
Speaker 7: So a caretaker we need to know so that we don't do a multiple veteran pickup, right, so that there's enough space spouses. Some veterans will call and just say, well, my spouse just wants to ride with me. She's got nothing to do. What depends on how if there's available space for your spouse to ride. But then there also comes in times where the veteran may have a service dog, and I say service dog for a reason with the VA, they recognize only a service dog. If you have a service animal other than.
Speaker 1: A dog companion animal. Companion animal knows what about a parrot? So what about an eel? What if I have a companion eel, what if I have an.
Speaker 7: Ostrich can talk, you know, but usually their heads in a sand, so it's kind of hard to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: And it cannot write in your purse.
Speaker 7: So an actual by the VA rules, a service dog has three abnormalities that it is servicing for a veteran. They're trained in three realms and those realms need to correlate with the veteran. We've had people show up say, well, this is a service dog, Well, in what ways is it servicing you? Well, it's it's not. It's not trained for me. Well then you're not taking it. It's not for you, right, So we it's just knowing the rules. And secondly, the VA is not going to allow you to bring in someone else's service.
Speaker 1: Dog, and you have to make those things.
Speaker 7: It's got to be your dog, right right, Yeah, there is no nine to one one rent your service dog. But the veteran has to maintain the control of the service dogs, not leave it with my driver while you go into your own Right.
Speaker 1: What about this, Steve? What about this? What if the dog is a veteran.
Speaker 7: If the dog's a veteran, the local veterinarian will take it.
Speaker 1: I don't know do we have Do you have a plan the vets can go to vets, vets can go to the vats. I'm just asking. These are the questions. Maybe maybe a canine service dog out there going to wait a minute, I served my country, right, I mean I was honorably discharge. I gotta go and get de wormed. What about me?
Speaker 7: You know, it's hard to have a conversation with the dog. We've never had one dial the number so the dog. The dog can make its own appointment. The dog is seeing Steve Bolso's here. He's executive director Clairmont County Veteran Service Commission. He was to like a monthly update on a veteran and I keep in mind this is Clairemont County.
Speaker 1: It's what you do. But but there, if you're not in Clermont County, well what about me? Contact your local Veteran Services Commissioner? Is it the same thing they have the vans that everybody does?
Speaker 7: That so the vans, But that's based on the High Revice Code establishes the rules for our office. As states we will provide transportation to and from your VA appointment. Now, providing the transportation does not necessitate. Then I have to purchase the vehicles and take you. I may purchase Uber tickets for you to go to and from here, right, So it's it's by counting, ok and it's from Clarmont that we're going to personally drive.
Speaker 1: As far as distance. So is there a limit to how far you'll take someone? There is?
Speaker 7: And that distance is designed by the VA's geography for our established Cincinnati VA with the VA instead of a typical geography, what is the catch area for our Cincinnati VAU. The VA uses the word that's called vincent them explain what that is. But that contains Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. Oh wow, So according to a high revice code, I have to transport in accordance with my.
Speaker 1: Local day, which is a pretty good distance.
Speaker 7: But if you're going to Illinois or Utah, we're gonna do something else to find you a local.
Speaker 1: Fine to get there, because I mean there are people. Okay, if you live in Cincinnati, cincinna v is great, But if you're kind of caught between, could you go to Columbus? Could you go to Stokes in Cleveland? I mean, and then there's different specialties, you know, there's a.
Speaker 7: Well, it's true, there's a veteran we take the Dayton to the Dayton VA. There was a veteran we drove up to Cleveland that needed to go to the Cleveland clinic. Right, So it's dependent on the VA and they estallish their appointments well.
Speaker 1: And so it's it's just called. If you're a veteran, you need transportation to one of these appointments, you just call you.
Speaker 7: Guys five one three seven three two seven four seven one is a direct line to transportation.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? How advanced warning? How much do they need to know to plan this? You know, we prefer five days, okay, so that gives them time to establish how many drivers I need for the day. As people start calling, and then the day before your actual appointment, the driver will call you and let you know approximate time that they're going to pick you up for your appointment. Obviously it's extremely urgent in a matter of life or day, call nine one one please. If it's say, you know, we need to see you inside five days, I'm sure you can make an arrangements. If it's a specially case, we're flexible. Yeah, sure, got it, as long as it's not an emergency base. But so that's your Clamont Katry Clamont County, VA Veterans Service Commissions. Steve Belso the executive director there five one three seven three two seventy four seventy one. If you or you have a veteran in your life, neighbor and they may not know these things, the transportation is there, and now you get the whole scope of what goes on unless you are a dog listening, and then we may have to start something for dogs, for canine veterans and dolphins because he used dolphins too, and then they do train dolphins.
Speaker 7: I'm really I want to hear your your dolphin advertisement here.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what if there's advertising money and we here at seven hundred w LW would never say no, Steve, We never never would say no to that. Hey, all the best, buddy, thanks for popping in. Having all right, moving on, we have news about five minutes here on the big one. Weather. We're gonna a little break. Actually, we're gonna get a break on Sunday. It looks like a little break of the clouts here. It's unseasonably warm. We'll take that. But the rain can go away anytime. Tooon right soon right, The big sports stories coming up at ten thirty six. After that news update with Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty, we'll talk about Miami going for perfect against ou Tonite. Everything on the line. I would say everything's on the line here, but man, it's awfully tough, awfully tough to go perfect in college basketball. Miami's going to try to do just that and get ready for the big dance. Also, breaking news out of Red's country, not good news at all. Hunter Green is out. Uh he left Goodyear yesterday, flying back here from MRI and a couple independent medical opinions on that right elbow of course, that popped up at the end of last season. Here we are twenty twenty six Cactus League action. He had one appearance and it didn't go well. So what the hell happened in the off season? If it's something serious in the elbow, why wasn't surgery performed in the off season? If indeed it looks like surgery, it sounds like it is at this point. If he misses any extended time whatsoever, what's that rotation? Look at we've talked about, you know, that fifth starter and all of a sudden that all starts to fall together. If you're gonna be without Hunter Green for a period of time, we should know by March tenth, I guess is what they said, the full medical picture after all the exams and poking and prodding and what happened, and not only that. Really, who's the blame in this whole situation is Hunter Green? This is his doctor. We don't know, and I don't know who did the procedure on the elbow, but I know he's going to go to I think he's going to come back here to see crumb check at Beacon. So whoever did that? There are big question marks over that because you know you're opening day, Ace could wind up missing some time here and here we go, right, everything's looking grand just a couple of days ago and not so much. So we'll figure it out, though they at least got a little depth there. Anyway, I don't want to be labor the point. Austin Elmore jumps in just minutes. We've got that sports update, so much to talk about the Reds in Miami, and of course there's some Bengals news happening and FC as well. We'll get into that just ahead on this Friday morning on the Scott's Loan Show on seven hundred World Friday Morning, Scott's Loan Show. This is seven hundred WLW. Normally at this time Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty is sitting right in front of me with his big, sweaty, sexy bald head. But not today, or at least not right now. W Anyway, I thought I saw him in the building somewhere, So we're trying to track him down because we've got to talk about Miami and OU. We got the Red's news. Of course, Hunter Green's injury. What the hell is going on? His elbow was hurting at the end of last season. Thought okay, well, at least you got the off season to take care of that. Why didn't we take care of that? That would be the big question. I mean, it's you know, they're certainly pretty deep at pitching, but you kind of want your ace there for opening day on March twenty sixth. Now, if you start thinking about this, and I think Tito alluded to it as well, that the math is a little difficult if he winds up having to miss some time. But you know, I have to think that the condition of his elbow is such that if he didn't have surgery, and I think I heard he got injections, that the injections obviously didn't work. There's something else going on there. It almost thinks, well, we did injections and that didn't help, and so that would then mean surgery, one would think, And what the hell does that look like? If he has your starting pitcher as elbow surgery? What's the recovery on that? Depending on what's going on? An issue that goes back to twenty twenty five at the end of last season. All right, news is next seven hundred wid Hi Scott, Hey, all right, yeah, I'm so sorry. I lost to get a food drop.
Speaker 8: What's going on? I was, I was reading about Bengals and free agency and you all worked up about it. I started reading Paul Daaner and Jason Williams, and I was getting a lot of information, and I lost track of time. You read the opinionist to form your opinion. No, somebody said, hey, did you read what Jason Williams wrote? I said no, So I started reading it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good? Was he hating on the Bengals ownership? I just started when.
Speaker 8: Dave Keaton said, uh, I know, and I looked up and let out a couple of expletives and came running.
Speaker 1: So I haven't even had read it. I'll tell you, Jason, probably he it somehow gets back to ownership. I would imagine that's what happens. He's Harry right now. He's laughing because he's a good dude. Welcome. First of all, you need to catch your breath. I'm in great shape. Just look at me, all right, So let's begin with this. I was just a pining about Hunter Green's injury, trying to get to a momentarily. But I think the big sports story total optimism, is Miami going for perfect.
Speaker 8: It's so cool to see where this school has and the history of it, and for a guy that is as likable and as awesome as Travis Steele is and the way things win, it's Xavier and where he's at now. I mean, we had Travis in studio with us yesterday and he is just such a calm, mellow guy, and he talked about how you know when there's pressure, when something goes wrong. They all turned to him and he has to be that kind of steady hand, and I think that that's worked well for them and for the environment tonight. I believe spring break started today for the students at OU, so they're sticking around for a nine am tip off. I mean, you got no responsibilities for the next week. It is gonna be nuts. Is ridiculous. They've been pregaming since I was gonna say, they've been pre gaming for a while, and uh, it's all gonna come to a head tonight, arch rivals, the Battle of the Bricks. What more could you ask for? And that's a really cool setting. If you've never been there at OU, in that arena, it's really.
Speaker 1: Now someone's going, well, okay, what if they lose to you, which would be a stunning upset, sure, and then losing the tournament. They don't make this sweechy't They don't make the field of sixty five.
Speaker 8: It doesn't feel like that. It feels like they were a crime. It does, and it's not entirely their fault. I mean, they have tried to schedule some better opponents, but it just hasn't worked out for them. And let's just call it what it is. They don't have a very strong strength of schedule yea, and they don't play in a very strong conference, and that's an unfortunate reality with where they are. It's like they're still eighteenth or nineteenth in the country. I think perfect season goes a long one. I mean, I'm not saying, you know, they'd be a nine now. I think I'm like, you know, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen. It feels like just to see the argument, you know, I like to look at when it comes to this is, Yeah, they might have the three hundred and fiftieth hardest schedule in the country, but the teams that are three hundred and forty eighth and three hundred and fifty first and three hundred and fifty third, those teams aren't undefeated. Yeah, Miami is. It still takes a lot to get to that point. So I think they should be in. I think think if they if they win tonight, I think they'll be in pretty much no matter what. We could lose a tournament getting I think so. But if they were to lose tonight and lose early in the MAC Tournament, I think they'd be in that.
Speaker 1: That kind of sucks, but you know what went out, You control it correct, you control it, and it's good to see one of our teams actually do that. Rather than having to like wait for other teams to lose for us to advance. Right, Yeah, that's that's a good thing. Let's get experience that. Let's get to the Whiskey Tongo, Fox, Trott, Hunter Green thing. So he he leaves Goodyear, he's in town now to independent medical could opinion. I think crime check is going to be one of those. He gets an MRI. I don't know who did the original procedure. But so this started in the last month last season, and it's like, okay, well, he's gonna rest up, he got some something done, Okay, good, ready to go, pitches at the game against Cuba and and gets rocked and it's like, well, my elbows stiff, and now we've got to fly back to what the hell is going on?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so he pitched against the Brewers last weekend, okay, and and got beat up a little bit. He obviously got destroyed in the playoff game against the Dodgers. And what I want to know is when did the Reds find out that he was dealing with this discomfort? Did they know in the flast five or six starts of last season, like Hunter said, I would imagine they did. Charlie Goldsmith reported that on October twenty eighth, which would have been almost exactly a month after that start in Los Angeles, Hunter got an ejection and injection into that elbow. I would like to know did the Reds know about that NT then, and what was the purpose and what was the timeline?
Speaker 1: And it was right, it was like he got his own doctor to do. We know, we don't know.
Speaker 8: That's what we don't know yet, but it would suggest these things would suggest that that's the case if he's seeing Krimchek for the first time, if he's seeing Latrosh for the first time. He also said he knows he has bone spurs in his elbow. Well, you don't know that unless you've had an MRI. When was the MRI that revealed you bone spurs? Did the Reds know about that? These are like the questions that I have that we don't really know that answer to it. And it's one thing. If yeah, you're feeling some stiffness, you get an injection and you let it rest. That's a course of treatment and that's normal. But at what point, and he said it was a week before spring training that the discomfort returned. I would like to know more about when the Reds knew about this, and when did you know you had bone spurs? Right, because if you knew you had bone spurs, you should know right away. The best course of action is probably to get it scoped, get those cleaned out, and start it then, as opposed to now where that could be a multi month process for Hunter Green to come back and based off what he said, which is hopefully I don't miss too much of a chunk of the season, I'm still there for the playoff push. That kind of makes me think by using the words playoff push, he knows it's gonna be a one, so.
Speaker 1: It's a very minimum. All right. This feels like I don't know where he's get this thing done. But you've got bone spurs in your you got bone chips in your elbow. That's not the remedy for that. The intervention is not an injection that's temporary. It's like bone chips don't go away because you give an injection. So that's like, I mean, that's terrior. I want to say malpractice, but it's like, what That's why I have so many questions about the timeline. When did he know he had the bones burst? That's my biggest question because it determines the answers to all the other questions. And the Reds say he's getting an MRI with Krimcheck and then talking to the other guy and they're both consulting which MRI number is this. Now the Reds are in a position where they can withstand this. If it's a month or two, we'll get it. And that's a good thing.
Speaker 8: But it's frustrating that the timeline doesn't really seem to make sense when it comes to Hunter Green and this sort of stuff. And I'm not trying to blame Hunter and I'm not trying to blame the Reds, but we've seen this in the past with Matt McLean. We saw it last year with Spencer Steer. Steer had a mysterious shoulder injury that went basically untreated through all of the off season and he was terrible for the first two months of twenty twenty five. Why does this keep happening? I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: That's a great question, and hopefully we'll get an answer here on some accountability if that's the case. But it's not going to heal on its own. Surgery Austin, that's like three to six months.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, if you're going in with the scope and trying to get that stuff out, then yeah, it's serious. Now here's the other thing we got to keep in mind. In twenty nineteen, Hunter Green had Tommy John surgery. He returned to pitching in twenty twenty one. He was very young at the time he had that. The shelf life for that surgery is six to seven years. That was twenty nineteen. We are now in twenty twenty six. So I'm not saying that it's the worst possible scenario, because that would be Hunter says, as ucl is intact. That's the other thing. How's he know as ucl is intact? Clearly there was some imaging done at some point to tell him is We'll get more of it and hopefully the Reds will have an answer on Tuesday. But that timeline is also important from the previous Tommy John serch.
Speaker 1: Now we can also talk about what that rotation looks like without Hunter Green too. Now we had the fifth starter a debate. Well, this kind of ends that, right, Yeah, it seems that way.
Speaker 8: I mean, no matter what happens, losing a week of throwing at this point when we're less than three weeks away from opening day, would suggest that Andrew Rabbit's probably going to be the guy on the mound for the Reds on opening Day, which is great. I love Andrew, and I think he has certainly earned that opportunity. On top of that, though, Rhet Louder has been awesome. I mean, we were getting to the point where through spring training you're kind of scratching your head looking around, saying, how do you keep Rehet Louder and Chase Burns out of this rotation?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe that answer has.
Speaker 8: Been given to them with the Hunter Green injury, because both those dudes have looked really good.
Speaker 1: And then when he gets back, you work him back in. So Abbat Lodoli got Singer, let's not forget that, and then Louder and Burns, so you got a rotation. Yeah.
Speaker 8: And on top of that, Brandon Williamson deserves some credit. He's pisched well yeah, yeah. And so that's what's interesting is him and Louder are both likely on inning's limits and Chase Burns is on one maybe not as hard of a cap as those two guys are coming off injuries, so it is possible for them to pitch a lot or pitch early on, and then maybe Hunter comes in and that helps alleviate the stress of those innings limits that those other two guys have. But you know, it seems like this happens every year. A starting pitcher goes down starting pitching depth after Rehet Louder, it gets thin really quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what's concerning to me. All right, after that gets sent, so hopefully can say healthy till presumably Hunter Green gets back. If and when that occurs, let's pivot to the back to the good here and the fact that the Reds just keep hitting the hell out of the ball. I mean, what fourteen thirteen, they went against the Dodgers on a day where you can hit a pop fly and it's a four hundred foot home run, apparently with a wind blowing the way it was. But Matt McClain's numbers are just off the charts. And what we're seeing from Matt is clear adjustments in his swing in the way that he is able to decide on what pitches, what pitches, he's able to reach, what pitches he wants to hit. He's pulled the ball, he's gone the other way, he's gone straight up up the middle. He looks like a very complete hitter right now. And what I've liked the most in watching Matt and I haven't had a chance to watch every single pitch of every at bat because it's difficult. I watched listening to the broadcast.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when you see him in the batter's box from when you've actually been able to watch him, you can tell he's got He's a lot more confident in picking up the ball really well, like he knows, Okay, I'm spitting on this pitch.
Speaker 1: I don't want anything to do with it.
Speaker 8: That's not the pitch I can do something with, whereas last year it was like, please just give me something I can hit. I'm swinging and you just don't see that from Matt McClain right now. If he can be the guy who is that productive in the number two hole, then the offense is going to help you with standy on her Hunter Green injury and you're gonna be just fine. It's a big if, but so far there's been tangible evidence of improvement from Matt McLain.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt McClain is certainly a story. But Ellie salth Stewart, they're just hitting the hell out of the ball all the way around.
Speaker 8: I think my favorite quote from Terry Francona about South Stewart is he forgets he's a rookie.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know he's a rookie.
Speaker 8: For a guy like Francona to say that, And the way that this dude hits as a young player, and his ability to hit pitches that are not necessarily a hitter's pitch. And he's gone outside the zone, up and outside the zone and driven the ball out of the ballpark. He's gone inside, way inside, gotten his hands inside and driven the ball out of the ballpark. Extreme raw power from this dude. And he's also putting together really good at bats. The Reds as a whole are striking out less and walking more. If you do that, you're gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: All right, very good rock of the Dodgers fourteenth third, I don't have to say this. And an incredible miracle is our own Davy Armbuster apparently was playing second base for the Cuban now t Yitty was at second base, which I thought was fantastic. That doesn't right. I had to work that game.
Speaker 4: Turned.
Speaker 8: I was praying that it would end early, and thankfully they played World Baseball Classic rules, So the Reds did run rule them. That was the worst baseball team I've ever seen. They have a center fielder named Alexi Ramirez is a really good big league player, hasn't played in the big leagues in ten years. He's forty four years old. He's been playing professionally in Cuba. I think it was actually our yitty seventy eight year old playing in Cuba for the last ten years, which isn't quite the Major League. It's not quite Korea, it's not Mexico. So Alexi Ramirez starting in center field at forty four years old, I don't think the Cubans will last long in that tournament.
Speaker 1: It's a rough stretcher Cuba right now. I mean you have that, you have the embargo that's been gone on forever, the jack poverty, and you got invade it almost taken over by a boatload of Rednecks from Florida just last week. So it's like it can't get any worse. Well, do you think you're having a bad day going He was having a bad day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and a road as Chapman can't pitch for him because he's got stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Busy, all right, let's pivot to the Bengals. I know you haven't read the opinion from other people before performing yours, but the top of your sexy bald head, Austin Elmore, the Trey hendricks it feels like the national media, like the Steven asoniss, are just figuring out this deal. I mean, we're bitching about this a year ago, going what you know? Okay, then trade the guy, get something for him. We feel you know, as a Bengals fan, I kind of feel it over the whole Trey Hendrickson thing.
Speaker 8: I think the Bengals are over it.
Speaker 1: I Trey is ready to sign with Dallas.
Speaker 8: Okay, fine, listen, the Bengals should have gotten this done sooner and extended him sooner, and it would have made more sense. But the Bengals were skeptical, and Trey continued to produce, so Trey continued to want more money. Here's what would have happened. Let's say the Bengals get would have gotten the deal done with Trey early, and they would have extended him and they would have given him more guaranteed money and so on, and he continued to produce. That way, guess what Trey Hendrickson would have done. He would have thrown a fit and asked for more money, because that's who he is, and so it didn't matter if the if the Bengals got the extension done early or tried to do it the way they did it, Trey was going to throw a fit and want more money. This relationship is no longer tenable. Neither side wants to work with one another. The Bengals tried to trade him a year ago. They didn't get the value they wanted. They also thought he could help them. He ended up not. So you wash your hands of it and move on. It's over or over the story real quick.
Speaker 1: Here you see basketball got Texas Tech wrap up or TCU rather to wrap up the season win a they end? Does it? What do you think of at large?
Speaker 3: Bit?
Speaker 8: They got to win at least two more games, probably three. They got to get to that twenty win mark, I would think. But the good news is over the last month, that's a top five team in college basketball six last. Offensively, they are efficient, I mean the ability to stretch the floor. They're playing good defense, They've beaten good teams, and TCU is a team that's going to be in the tournament. So this would be a huge win for them. If they can get to twenty in the Big twelve Tournament, the Bearcats will be in a right.
Speaker 1: Early season Soccer FC Sunday and Yayakuba retired, which you know, since a favorite, he left and retired and lost a Minnesota but that's not I mean it was thirty five thousand.
Speaker 8: Blow zero up there, so yeah, and it felt like a lot of the mistakes in Minnesota were correctable. And then you got a big sun Day Night spotlight matching coming up Evander Bobblehead Night at TQL Stadium, which I believe is the first in franchise history, so should be cool. All right, awesome, Big Sports Weekend had Audie and Tony Pike over.
Speaker 1: An eSPI no no, no, no, no, Tony Pike.
Speaker 8: Today, I'm rocking solo from twelve to three and then tonight six to nine out then for Lance McAllister as well.
Speaker 1: I wonder you're running around like you did? I get it.
Speaker 8: You gotta fill this nogg and on information. You got a show come up here. You gotta entertain the peace.
Speaker 1: You ran in here and you closed a ring. Austin Elmore, ESPN fifteen thirty. This is seven hundred company. Hold, I don't want to be an Americans, got thrown back on seven hundred doubt Well, w head into the weekend. Oh my god, but not just any weekend. This is the weekend where we lose an hour sleep. We spring forward Sunday for daylight savings time, and you lose that precious hour of sleep. Means when you wake up on Monday, you got darker mornings, you got more evening lights. Knocks your body clock out of whack and daylight savings time. I'm going to be in trouble. It takes a while to adjust. I've noticed this. So what actually happens to your brain? It's just a stupid hour of twenty four It's one twenty fourth of a day. Why is this such a big deal? Leidy Richardson is a high performance brain specialist at the Brain Performance Center. Welcome to the show. How you been late, it's been.
Speaker 6: A while, it's been a while, Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: Sure, what's going on here inside your brain? It's just an hour? Why is this a big deal for us?
Speaker 6: Well, some of us are already worrying about it. We know it's coming, so we're worrying about what that's going to do. Do that mean I'm going to have to change when I eat dinner? Does that mean I'm going to have to change when I walk a dog? So we're creating a big problem for ourselves in that respect and others of us. You know, about one third of Americans have a real hard time with sleeping. And so the brain, your sleep cycle is set in this this circadian rhythm is set in your centroom motor strips in the brain. So if you throw that off, that's going to further uptect your sleep cycle. So, and you know, it's interesting to me, there's a lot of statistics that looks about what daylight saving time changes do. And it's not just your brain they affect, it's your body too.
Speaker 1: Well. Is it true that you have eer zds, They see more heart attacks, cardiac events like that after the time change, And what's the correlation there?
Speaker 6: Well, I think it is true. There are statistics that show that, and I think that the you know, we think of the brain as being one thing and the body is being another. It's one unit. It is absolutely one unit. What what impacts the brain impacts the body. Body keeps score of everything going on in the brain and you know there's also more correx reported after the time change. And I think that the time change can. It can when our brain and our body stopped communicating properly, it throws off our ionomic nervous system and that's what controls that fight slider freeze and we start riding the rolltost gotcha? Oh my gosh, Oh no, it's gonna happen. Oh how's it kind of impact me?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: What am I going to do?
Speaker 6: And that impacts her body too.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting in the fall when we roll the clocks back. Oh, I get next to our sleep. That's exciting because you get bonus our sleep. But then you also know that's coming and that is eternal darkness that we see. We don't see the sun for It's like Johnny cash in fulsome prison ain't seen the sun said, I don't know when. But then we get the springtime change coming up, and the bonus is, Okay, I'm gonna lose in our sleep, but I know that summer is here. Is that in that kind of an offset if if in your brain, your brain's going, well, it's good, but it's it's bad short term, but long term means I survived winter and summer's.
Speaker 6: Here absolutely, particularly for people in that live in the North where it's extremely cold and dark all winter long, it's like in the summer that's that's when they hang out at home and they send out patio, and even for across the United States. I'm excited to have another hour of light When I leave my office at seven o'clock and I come home and it's pitch dark, and I feel like I need to put my pajamas on, and that my day is over, and I still have so many things I want to do. I'm excited to think that I'm going to be able to start doing some of those.
Speaker 1: Lee Richards is here with the Brain Performance Center talking about the time change on Sunday and we're going to lose an hour sleep here too. How does melotonin playing all this? We also hear about melotone and I'm a big fan of taking a half of a melatonin tablet before that helps me get a sound night sleep. But we know that it's more than just taking a tablet. So what's going on inside our brain relative to melatonin and time change?
Speaker 6: So the brain produces neurotransmitters on chemicals and miltonin is produced by your sleep cycle. So if you change your sleep cycle, it's going to change the production of melotonin. And some people you benefit from it on an everyday basis or as needed basis. But when you change the sleep cycle, it can change the production of melatonin. And that's another thing that throws your sleep cycle off. Miltonin makes us feel sleepy, makes us get ready to go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's just it's weird because you just can't get past the fact this is one stupid hour and it screws me up for a couple of weeks. Is it easy if you're a kid, you're going to school, Is it easier for you to adapt than someone who's middle age or older.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I think it is because they don't overthink it. They don't think about everything it's going to mean and how it's going to mess them up. They just roll with it. As we get older, we have more responsibilities. We have those kids to take care of, and we have to think about how we put it all together. And sometimes our brain is our biggest barrier because we start overthinking. And this has been debated for years, or should we do away with daylight saving time? Is it more bad than good. And my advice to my clients is, you know, we always find what we're looking for, So why don't you look for the good that's associated with.
Speaker 1: Daylight saying well, what about this? Why don't you just say if you had any stones whatsoever lead tell your clients this one go. You know what, run by your own clock. Don't do what the rest of the world is doing. If you want to keep your time and not change it all, run that all year long. You're an hour behind or an hour ahead.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm blated. You're an hour lated to this meeting, You're an hourlate to this You're supposed to sign these documents to buy a house like no, you know what. You may be on daylight saving Sam, but I'm not. That would be totally totally uh it. W'd be the anarchist in charge if he could.
Speaker 2: Do that, right, I would do that experiment.
Speaker 1: Do try to push one of your maybe more gullible clients Lee into doing that. I want to see how that works out for him. Are you four against daylight saving?
Speaker 6: Some than personally on a personal level, on for it, I like the extra light, daylight stay. I like extra sunlight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's to me, you're wasting time, right, yeah, I mean it's here in Sincy and it peak right before the equinox in June. Damn, the sun's out toil well past nine thirty. For crying out loud, that's that's awesome. You wake up, the suns up, you go to bed, getting ready for bed, wind it down. It's nine thirty and the sun salt. That's that's awesome.
Speaker 6: Well, I think some of us love it and some of us don't. But one thing we all have to do. We've got to row with it.
Speaker 1: I guess you do. I suppose. I don't know if you think they're ever going to change that, that they're going to I know presidents and others have mentioned that they want to do away with it or keep it permanent or whatever that might mean. I don't know if we ever will though.
Speaker 6: I don't know if we will either. But if you look back at the history and how it got started and why it got started, it does make you ask the question is it relevant? Is it costing us more money with energy? And they've asked all those questions, but nobody seems to be activating to do anything about it.
Speaker 1: All right, So can you give some tips to cope with us?
Speaker 6: I think that if you're worried about it, it's you know, you've got a couple of days before it kicks in. Go to bed a little bit earlier tonight, and go to bed a little bit earlier on Saturday night. And reduce the amount of caffeine that maybe you drink in the afternoon. And if you're an apple and you take naps in the afternoon, don't take those naps. Kind of get yourself up to be a little bit more fatigue. Go out and take a walk at the end of the day. Some people that fatigue, some people it stimulates. But whatever you can do, get yourself some sleep, betid tea. I've had clients report that that's been helpful for them. Take a hot shower or a hot best whatever you can do to modify your own body rhythms. And you should know what that is. We all need to stay in touch with our own with ourselves, you know, think what's right for you.
Speaker 9: How do it?
Speaker 4: Lee?
Speaker 1: How different is this? By the way, Lee richardson Brain Performance Center talking about the time change coming up on Sunday here too, and that affects people differently myself. I'm like, it takes a good week for my body to get back to where it should be. Other people just agonized with some people done by them at all. How much different is this than jet lag?
Speaker 6: Well? I think that for me, jet lag is harder because I'm totally out of my routine. I'm not a home there's you know, there's not much I can do to get on the plane and get off when I'm supposed to. And for this, I'm more in control, and I focus on what I can't control. And if I'm worried about the daylight saving time, I'll go to bed a little bit earlier, and all the things that I said. No caffeine, no, and I'm not a napper.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: But but for instance, if I take a walk at five thirty or six, that kind of wins me down and a hot back does it ever turn? So I play into that?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: Is there is you mentioned the napping? Is? It is napping negative as from a brain performance standpoint, because I find if I take I'm not a chronic napper. I suppose maybe one day a week. Maybe I'm so busy I don't have time. There are times when you feel if you're active, you know, if you're just sitting around, I think that's when you want to take a nap. If you're if you're busy, busy, busy, then you don't even think about doing that. You just kind of plow through things. But is that inherently bad napping.
Speaker 6: Well, you'll see a lot of studies that say that napping interferes with your sleep time. But you know, you've got to think about I have a client that he gets up every morning at three am and because he has to be at work at four point thirty. He works in the airline industry, and for him, he comes home, he takes he takes a nap, and he has figured out within Hister Kadie and rhythm and his body rhythm how to make it work for himself. So I think that, you know, we all have to advocate for our own health, mental and physical. And if you can make napping work for you, do it. If you can't, then don't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it fit in. Just don't do it too long, right if you want to. If you do a two hour and nap, that's the problem right there, that could solid fifteen to twenty minutes that seems to be just about right for most people. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I bet you have unusual hours.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm a mess. I'm busy all the time. So it's radio is easy. This the you know, it's pretty much sad and forget it's pretty scared. But doing uh, you know, remodeling and constrain on a little construction and rent holes and stuff like that. I get busy sometimes I look at you know, I'm like, oh, okay, I'm wrapping up here. Next thing, I know, it's like seven o'clock at night and I still have work to do for the morning. So you know, it just depends. And you know, I know if I if I keep busy, I don't nap and then I sleep like a baby, which is which is probably even better.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, we're all in.
Speaker 1: Search of Yeah, that's what we want. That's why we loathe Sunday because we lose an hour sleep and in the fall, when it's the exact opposite, we gain an hour. It's like, that is the best thing ever. That's like early Christmas Lee.
Speaker 6: It absolutely is. And I mean and whether we stay up later or whether we just know we can sleep in if we want to, it is a gift.
Speaker 1: What if we just go to bed an hour earlier on Sunday will not fix it?
Speaker 6: Well, if you can go to sleep, I think that's a great idea. I can't tell you how let me claim to me. I can't go to sleep before my normal time.
Speaker 1: Sure you can't. That's what God. That's why God made street drugs and alcohol.
Speaker 6: You're right, there are many different solutions.
Speaker 1: Lee Richardson at the Brain Performance Center in Dallas. Thanks again, great to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Be well, thank you.
Speaker 4: Sleep well.
Speaker 1: We absolutely hate hate this time. But it's a love hate for me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I go to bed and okay, well, I'm going to lose an hour sleep, right, But then you wake up and like six am, the sun's coming, Sun's up. Now It's like, okay, it feels like summer. I'm thinking baseball. I'm thinking Red's baseball, you know in the fall. Oh, I get an extra hour of sleep. That's good. But now I know, all right, I feel better. I look at the clock. I'm like, wow, I'm normally waking.
Speaker 4: I'm not. I can.
Speaker 1: I can hit news ten more times. But then you know, though, starting on that Monday, it's gonna be that drudge just the plotting of you know, salt salt stained asphalt, gray skies, dead ass looking trees, and just you're just gonna you know, snow is gonna come, and you just know it's gonna be a haul. It's at four months to just really take it out of you. And then the worst part, of course in Cincinnati is that we get like three or four to ten fake springs. We'll warm up to seventy one. Oh my god, the winter's of it. Nope, and then two days later you got ten inches of snow. And then a few days later it goes back fifty Oh my god, all right, we're gonna be Nope, because the next day it goes down to ten below zero. That's the agony of being Cincinnati. And in the fall. Now in the spring, you wake up, Okay, maybe I lost our sleep, but there's a sun and hopefully you have sun. You know, if Mother Nature were on our side team us, she would give us on Monday ample sunshine. That would make it a lot easier. But if it's cold and gray, why am I doing this? I totally get it. I totally totally get it. But as far as getting rid of daylight savings time like I don't know. There's more usable daylight in the evening hours, which you know, after you get home for work. We're not a grarian anymore, you know, most of us aren't out in the fields. You kind of need that before, But now it's like, Hey, I come home from work, I get a little tomic and go for a walk. I can do stuff outdoors. I could even after work, I could go play nine right, or maybe even eighteen, depending on exactly what day it is. It's just much much better. This is all built for our agricultural society, and it seems to me that you know, okay, we're not as a grarian anymore. Maybe we need to turn this around. And you know, we're maximizing the sunshine here, I guess. So I get the argument, you know, the health disruptions and the productivity loss, but yeah, how much productivity are loss? It's maybe two weeks out of the year. Hell you lose that during March madness seems like it seems like it's a wash. Baby, seems like it's a wash. And I don't know about any well. It saves energy. I'm not quite sure we have any everything running all the time now, energy savings. I don't think we're worried about that at all, But yeah, I kind of like that. I even say, maybe even with the daylight seven times, there's a reduced crime because of the sun's up, I suppose, and an economic benefit and all this other stuff. I don't know. I kind of like it. I like timing it out, so it's it's a pain in the butt twice a year, but that indicates me the seasonal changes. That is your hard start in Cold Star, right is you walk in and go, okay, I know it's fall. I got to tough it out for four or five more months, and then when the time changed, you're like, hey, I made it through another winter. Check that put another notch on my bedpost. Not for that kind of stuff, but for the sleep kind of stuff. Of course, you dirty mind. And so it means, yeah, I made it through. Okay, Now summer's here. Now I can start my summer season. Works for me, I don't know about you. Well, good luck on don't forget. Although we don't have to worry about that anymore. I mean, how many clocks are you changing? Used to be a half to walk around the microwave, the stove, all the alarm clocks, the one in the hallway. Now everything's digital automata does it for itself pretty good. Don't even have to do that as much. And if you wait long enough, if you are a procrastinator of the first magnitude, if you simply just don't change your clocks at all in some of those areas, now they're right for another six months. News, weather, traffic in about five minutes, and then Allie Martin jumps in the Local Loop. What to eat, Dude, drink and see in Cincinnati and beyond. Just ahead on seven hundred w W Scot's lunch. The weekends coming on and you need to make the most of it. Where to go and what to do.
Speaker 7: She has the tips and inside that help you make it a super weekend.
Speaker 1: So listen up. This is the Local Loop with Ali Martin on seven hundred WLW. Breaking the law, breaking the law, Yeah, yeah, d breaking the.
Speaker 9: Law him a lot, bad boys, bad boys.
Speaker 1: What you're gonna do, What you're gonna do, Alie Martin, driving without a license is a great story. Ali's here a local Loop. What's up, girl?
Speaker 9: We're great.
Speaker 5: I feel like I need to be driving around with an adult these days because I have my temporary license, because clearly I am not.
Speaker 1: One is drama.
Speaker 9: This is d m V drama, b B m V whatever Ohio is called.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in a nutshell, I have to take my driver's license, the test and do the whole thing all over again because my driver's license expired. Like an idiot. This isn't totally this is a me problem. But this is one of those things, you know how we had to get a real idea.
Speaker 9: You know what was it two years ago? I was thinking.
Speaker 5: I wasn't thinking clearly. I thought this was like five years chef. My my registration of my car is up to date. All of that's up to date. I've been traveling and flying. Keep in mind with this id since it expired. Nobody until I go to buy cough medicine at Kroger and some sixteen year old is like, an, I really shouldn't be selling you, oh my god, because your license was expired.
Speaker 9: He did, but I'm like your kids. So I furgned out from a sixteen year old kid at Kroger.
Speaker 5: Months later, at the end of twenty twenty five, and then again I procrastinated an extra month day.
Speaker 1: God, you were you know, going to do pickleball stuff for the tour.
Speaker 9: Well I have been that's the thing I've been finding out.
Speaker 1: But they could have caught you and you wouldn't have been able to get to the gig. And that's how therapist kind of mind. You should have given the kid twenty bucks.
Speaker 5: Say thanks aciately if you could take my drive job anyway to.
Speaker 9: Take the test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the good drama not not good drama for you know what, so many people drive without license or suspended licensese doesn't really matter anymore.
Speaker 9: In the moment, I was frustrated. But it is funny.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny.
Speaker 6: It's fun.
Speaker 9: But now I gotta do the motorcycle test all over again too.
Speaker 1: Everything there's not a dad listening. That's not not Yeah, that's that checks out.
Speaker 9: Oh I deserve it.
Speaker 1: It's a bad thing. Oh okay, Well there you go. Ye you live and you learn you have a phone? Right, put it on the calendar. Put it on the calen dark one hundreds. Do you guys live on your phones? And like, I know, to put stuff on the calendar because in case I forget it, it's.
Speaker 5: Not about putting it in the calendar, it's I had to make the mental note to check my idea.
Speaker 9: I never did. I was just living life, living another three years.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 1: Alie Martin is here. It's the local group. Stuff to do in and around Cincinnati. Can I get a shameless plug in this weekend if you're a fan of classic rock. Don Felder, who's one of the original guitars of the Eagles, obviously wrote co wrote Hotel California is playing at French Lick Casino and Resort. So you're looking a little weak. And it's not bad drive at all, although I say driving there and the time changes eleven times between it's really weird, like for like twenty times on the way there. It's kind of a funny thing. But French li Like, if you haven't been, it's absolutely amazing. So maybe you know they've got the casino, hotel, the atrium is absolutely gorgeous. Looking for something to do Tomorrow nights he's playing tomorrow night. The music's that's going to be great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what is he going to be because obviously being a part of the Eagle.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, will he That's a good quest. I would imagine he's going. I mean, he covered the song so you can play it yeah, I would assume he's a fantastic musician though, so.
Speaker 9: Rock and roll hall fame does is there any tie for him different, like what makes him.
Speaker 1: Uh though, they're they're they're doing their casino and they're they're getting some access summer. They've got like Starship, They've got a bunch of and there's some ones coming up in the future. But I'll tell you what if you're planning had to and we had been there years ago and we're going to go back. The Peak Die course there is. It's next level. It's on top of a mountain. The story is great about how they got peaked out to build a course. And if you're if you're a golfer, to do that, You've got the Donald Ross Course, You've got the Links course down. So looking for a buddy's golf weekend or a couple's golf weekend, or you just want to get away from people and go golf, that's the spot man, it is. It's incredibly gorgeous up there. So French Lick dot com, I'll let you know when I'm running.
Speaker 9: Up there directly on the tourism board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. So we also have Blockfest. I see that every local news channel has the blockfest people on. So thirty fourth annual Blockfest.
Speaker 5: Thirty fourth Annual Blockfest, and you I am very sad that I'm going to be out of town because this is one of my favorite weekends of the year outside of Octoberfest. And we've talked about this time and time, you know, year after year, and there's been a lot of changes to Bockfest. Right years ago, a decade ago, it was at the Christian more Line building and over the Rhine and pretty much everything was there. Yes, you always have the parade starting on Friday from Arnold's that goes there. But as it's expanded and change and changed over time, you know, some of the years they've tried to do tents. Now they're at this point where they have five different Bockfest hauls. So and backtracking a little bit, right, So, this is the thirty fourth year that this has been up and running, celebrating all things German brewing heritage and to celebrate Bach the beer, the dark German beer high alcohol content hire quote unquote allegedly nutritional value for the monks back in the day during the Lent. So this is hence why we celebrate now because it's the lent and season. But there are five Buckfest halls that you could be celebrating all week and long. Those being Arnold's Bar and Grill, more Line lagger House, Northern Row Brewery, Ryangeist and Rosedale ot R and Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The lineup is from noon all the way until midnight on Sunday. You can be going, going, going in today. In particular right is the Bockfest parade. That's the big starter where you know you have the big keg, the goat keg, and you have your monks who are who will push the goat keg as a parade to get it going. There is a cry baby goat calling competition. This actually is really fun. It starts at that more Line lagger House from eight p to ten P and this is your chance for thirty to sixty seconds to give your best goat calling cry.
Speaker 1: Sexy.
Speaker 9: You know what you also have to do is you have to be hopping around on barstools or just like heel over.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, like fat faint Jim ro would be great. Jim Brow goat boy on SNL. Here that goat's hysterical.
Speaker 9: I think we did pretty good. Yeah, you could go away with a two hundred dollars gift card.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for Donkey. Oh Donkey, you actually do all the animal sounds.
Speaker 9: What else you got to go?
Speaker 1: Let's say not this not the venue for it. See me at French Like Casino Resort. I'll be opening for Don Felder tomorrow on Saturday.
Speaker 9: Bad stand up coming, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Alright, Saturday, you got sausage queen, you got your buck, best five k.
Speaker 9: You can goat, petting, zoo, goat, yoga, you name it.
Speaker 5: You know what I'll do because I will say if you're searching what to do for Bockfest, okay, all over the place. So you see this all written out Friday, Saturday, Sunday, I will throw this up on my story on my Instagram because putting all this together, it was a lot of trying to piece it together and there really wasn't one spot that had this lowdown.
Speaker 9: So I'll throw that up. If you're looking at.
Speaker 1: Meat raffles, you can't bury the meat raffle leap roh. So good.
Speaker 5: We do love we love the me So yeah, So there's the meat monks raffle happening tomorrow at four o'clock. So this is a perfect time too, because you know how I love a geriatric dinner. From four to six thirty p at Northern Row, this is your chance to get your prime cuts. Every ten minutes they're raffling off different types of meat and it's a buck, it's a dollar. And there is also another meat raffle from five to eight at Melotone Melotones, which is the old Taft mailhouse, so you have two chances for different meat.
Speaker 1: Rattles, meat raffles. Yeah, it was around here to meat raffles too. You sit there in the chant meat meat meat, and every hour they do a raffles.
Speaker 9: Great, oh man, it would allow me.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm so down for that because I feel like I don't know why this has been top of mind formulating.
Speaker 9: I've been googling like a cow and learning all the different types of the meat.
Speaker 1: This is the flying, this is the rump, this is the brisket. Yeah, yeah, you know where it's coming from. Yeah, you know where it's comes from. So I'm we should have a tattoo on your forearm of the chart of you get that where it's all right, like it's a puzzle. Yeah, you do pig on the left and then you do the cown the right, and you always got it.
Speaker 9: It's perfect.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Put your temperatures on there too, for like oh yeah, I always forget like one sixty five.
Speaker 9: Let me tell you that's the best investment.
Speaker 5: That would be so smart because I will say tattoo, but also buying a meat thermometer was the best eight dollars I ever.
Speaker 9: Spent in my life. Oh eight bucks whatever it was, it was under twenty end.
Speaker 1: I got a couple of Thermo pens. I got a meter, which is a wireless one.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, who can wait? If you get a tattooed, who cares you do?
Speaker 4: Right? You just know it.
Speaker 1: I will become a chef, you know it. I will have a professional chef. No, I just can't remember anything. I got all my notes.
Speaker 9: I have a lot of facts up here that are just carrying, right, I got.
Speaker 1: I got got me through school. Great, all your notes on your ted.
Speaker 9: Imagine if you went back to school too, and then what was that?
Speaker 1: It was like eighth grade chemistry exam, ma'am?
Speaker 9: Are you cheating?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 1: That's good?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: From Boxfest too.
Speaker 9: Root Beer stand opening this.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is our transition season of your we If you've been hibernating because of the fog and the rain and the snow, you have absolutely no weekend, no reason to be hibernating this weekend because of the fact that everything is opening up, one of them.
Speaker 1: Being we got one dry day this weekend. Make use of it.
Speaker 2: I know, right.
Speaker 5: The root Beer Stand, it's opening tomorrow, March seventh. It's their sixty ninth season, so it has been around for a hot minute.
Speaker 9: If you have not been. It's in Sharonville.
Speaker 5: It's it's based off of like Sharonville was like a small railroad town back in the day. So this opened in nineteen fifty seven as an A and W franchise. I don't know if you knew that. And it sits on a well that's two hundred and eighty feet deep, so allegedly that's what gives the root beer fifty seven.
Speaker 1: Really, so they used the water from the well underneath there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for the root beer.
Speaker 1: We's got a Matt Reese news story all over. We're gonna send Matt Reese out there. Hell, yes, he would love it. Stuff. Old white people love an W stand. And I love it too.
Speaker 9: Who does?
Speaker 1: Because they've got a cistern that sits on the counter and that's where the cold root beer comes from. That's like a like a I don't know if it's a well or a pump. I mean it's it's magical and the root beer.
Speaker 5: They're making the same thing since nineteen but that also includes their chili too.
Speaker 9: The recipe has been the same for that long as well.
Speaker 1: Get when you go.
Speaker 5: Oh, you got to get the cheese, like the foot long cheese coning and truthully, I'm pretty basic. When I go, I just get the big roopier mug of rupier and I will get the cheese coney every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Sugar, No, just get the regular regular roopier. Sometimes it's a real sugar and everything. Yeah, it's true sugar like drinking history.
Speaker 9: Don't take your glucose.
Speaker 1: It's fine, You're fine.
Speaker 5: If you're trying to go keto, this is not it. And they also have good shakes there. They have this Bobby's barbecue sandwich that's really good.
Speaker 1: I don't think they do no fries, right, I don't think chips. I don't care.
Speaker 9: I've never I can't remember ever getting I don't.
Speaker 1: Think I went the last I don't think I went last year year books. It's been a minute since I've been.
Speaker 9: Same, and I'm never on a mission to try to get fries there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I get to Cheese Coney's before I'd had the fries. What do you get cheese coney Now do you take?
Speaker 9: Do you eat it there?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: At the count you got to sit at the counter.
Speaker 5: It's just it's it's such a great little date spot too, you're gonna go and hang out?
Speaker 9: Yeah, or Sharonville, Like the park isn't too far from there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right down? Yeah yeah, okay, so maybe that I know that the Whippy Dips are the Loveland Whippie Dip open I think last weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so again tis this season Whippy Dips Zip Dip is opening two day right, Like, if you're not from Cincinnati, do you understand?
Speaker 9: Probably not.
Speaker 1: It's not soft, sir, no, although some places are, like there's a Whippy Dee near me, there's Whippy Dip, but it is creamie whip.
Speaker 9: Get it right, everybody, Let's say this at the same time.
Speaker 1: One two three, creamy Whip.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 9: Now, go treat yourself this weekend because they're all starting to open because like put does.
Speaker 5: On the west side near Mount Airy Forest, you have Mount Washington, Creamy Whip Yep, you got the which holds in the nuts and bolts of Deer Park. You have Phubs and Hamilton. You have the Whippy Dew in Loveland. Yeah, there's the cone up in Macon.
Speaker 1: And then obviously get some pie across the street, slice a pie and the owner sell it. What the whip, Yeah they did, but that's still the same the last Yeah, I got the giant fiberglass cone. What's wrong with that it? Yeah, we got one. Amaz got them all over the place.
Speaker 9: So good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, I mean a lot of them do the same thing. But because you know Zipped Up is opening today, I figured we'd throw that nineteen fifty wow. And they still use the same machinery. They have the original Neon sign Like this is the spot where if you're a teenager you get your first job. Everything is old school, and that's I think that's why it works, right, I love it, ain't broke, don't fix it it. Yeah, here's here's something that I came across the other Obviously, you got all your classics when you go to these places like orangevanilla, twist cones, you know, hot fudge Sundays, all that.
Speaker 9: Soft serve and or creamy whip margarita.
Speaker 1: Do they have that there?
Speaker 9: No, but I'm gonna start pitching for.
Speaker 1: Why would you do that? Right, I'm frozen drink. Yeah, so.
Speaker 9: That's what a frozen margarita should.
Speaker 1: It's got but it's got to be a shake because you can't do it just the alcohol would not allowed that to work. You can't get that to a cone.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Does it have alcohol in it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you have to have alcohol in it.
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't. I don't think you can make it solid enough to the cone. It just it'd be it's a liquid. Put it in a cell. I just said that.
Speaker 9: You said a shake like a cup. It's not the same as like soft serve.
Speaker 1: But I think it's not going to alcohol. If you have the alcohol content, it's not going to allow it to set up to be firm enough to it's just gonna be soupy.
Speaker 9: I'm going to look into this. I think it's a genius idea.
Speaker 1: I think it's chemistry is whether it is, well, I am not clearly a chemist, Okay, I mean I guess you have jeloish, but the jealous gelatin that's different. You could put gelatin in it. I guess it's a little bit of gelatine to set it up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but like imagine having a soft serve, you know, with the spring.
Speaker 1: Maybe the gelatin in it. Okay, a little gelatin, but perhaps I don't know. I'm sure there's a chef that's yelling at their radio right now telling us about.
Speaker 9: Or they're like, we've already done this. Come visit this place.
Speaker 1: All the whippy dips are open. We got to get going. Alie Martin Local Loop this morning. You can see her trials and tribulations of drivers' licenses.
Speaker 9: I'm so stupid.
Speaker 1: If you bring a whimpy Depp, they'll let you through.
Speaker 9: They Oh that's the other thing.
Speaker 5: I've had people asking, Hey, what car are you going to drive? I'm like, I'm going to show up in my manual jeep to.
Speaker 9: Impress the.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes. Well, premiumhip season is here and we are all better for it. You have a great weekend at Allie Martin Good Drama on YouTube and she's Allie Martin on The Scott's Loan Show seven hundred andety.
Speaker 4: Since then,