Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. There are certain people in the world that are always in demand, certain guys that even though they're not playing anymore and they have moved to the front office as a special assistant with Andrew Friedman, they are hard to get time with. And as you get older, it gets hotter and your short term memory goes. But this man always cool under pressure. World champion and former Dodger Jason Hayward joins us, Man, you are a tough guy to get time with these days. Everybody gravitate towards you.
Speaker 2: What and uh, first off, David, what an intro. I appreciate it, man, But no, it's it's a good problem to have, I have to say. And you know, attitude of fledged leadership, being able to be around Doc again as someone who played for him, but just hearing how he's handled all this attention of of course winning back to back to back World series and just know him being a guy in twenty sixteen his first run at this and now here we are a decade later, him being able to still make his mark on the game. He really appreciates the attention here, appreciates being someone who's asked to have a lot of responsibility. So I'm just doing my best to following someone like that footsteps, keep making my own mark, and most important, to keep learning.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 1: How much do we not appreciate the fact that Dave Roberts not only has to manage twenty six players, manage his coaching staff, but also manage relationships with sponsors, with media, and more importantly, with the front office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you don't know until you know someone like yourself. Of course, you're around the game. That's another student of the game, which is what makes us all better. I think the more times we can be around people who are craving that knowledge, I think that makes it that much more helpful. You know, the environment that the company you keep when it comes to doc and managing sponsorships, managing the attention, going to speak to groups. Right, But then he's also very, very intentional with the prospects, with the coaches, with the people in front office, with the player development staff. He makes it a point to make sure everyone feels valued. But then he's also like, hey boy, wait a minute, I have a question, like, what do you think about this what do you think about this player? What do you think about this window of opportunity? Right? Like, those are all things that he is still very much like open about wanting to learn and being creating an environment where we can all help each other get better.
Speaker 1: How much do you see that in your position now more than you did as a player?
Speaker 2: Man, It's it's nice to be able to shut one, you know, one side of that off at this moment, right and being and really be present. I'm not focused on going to play. I'm not focus on turning watching video into a result that night. Now, it's let's solw the game down even more. Let's see how you know how long it really takes for certain things to play out. How many conversations you can have about whether it's the same player or whether it's the same metric, like a draft question, a post draft question when you're welcoming new players in No, it's just nice to have an opportunity to really buy into Hey, you're getting a lot of information each day. What do you do with that? How do you process it? But also over time, how much of the change.
Speaker 1: Jason Hayward is our guest. He's a special assistant for Andrew Friedman and the Dodgers Baseball operations staff. Now that we're getting closer to the trade deadline, you've had the experience of the draft talking to the players the Dodgers drafted. Now we're getting closer to the trade deadline, what have you noticed the most As far as the method that Andrew Friedman and his staff a clients.
Speaker 2: The method that they have that they apply is be as prepared as possible. There's there's no wrong question to ask. If you have a question, if you have something you studied, if you have something that an observation that that you want to bring up as a point, they welcome it, that they want to hear what everyone has to offer. But again it's you know, how many ways can we get better today or how many how many opportunities can we take advantage of and and whiden our margins, you know, make our margins greater than they already are. As far as we know, it's been put into this team starting in the off season. Financially, you know, the expectation is to winter ring each year, not about a back to back. But at the end of the day, it's you have a farm system, you have players. Sometimes you have more of one thing than another. Sometimes you might you might you know, need to fill a void or or want to take advantage of filling a void. And I think this is just like the long way of saying, like just be ready for whatever. You know, they don't leave any stone on turn.
Speaker 3: Are you going to be in there with him?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna shadow him all through Monday's deadline?
Speaker 2: I'll be as round as much as possible. That's it's But it's been cool because like, these are the things that Andrew Brandon gomes doc. You know a lot of our scouts, you know, everyone has said, hey, collectively, be in the room for these. You know, just just just listen. You know. Obviously there's gonna be times where there's a lot of things happening at once, and you know you're not gonna hear every conversation. But I think that's what's cool about it, you know, sitting in the draft room, seeing the amount of attention to detail that goes into there, and like the pouring of out output of like information that each individual has. But then those like main combos, so to speak, you know, will be very cool to hear what's on the table, what's not on the table, what's what sounds like it's off the wall, and then like, hey, no, that that actually sound realistic for where we are right now. But I think another thing that is cool is from this side of things. You know, as a former player, there are opportunities when you're an organization like this one to maybe make a move that's going to help a player. Meaning again, if you have a lot of one thing or or there's an opportunity to create a window for them somewhere else and you can still get better as an or Like that's also a conversation. You know, it doesn't mean it works out that way, but it's just nice to know that they are considering human beings. They are considering in the Dodgers organization, just doing the best you can to support their individual and like give them a great career.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful to hear.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people believe that it's all just about the numbers. But your former manager, Jill Mannin told me once that he believes Andrew Friedman's one of the best baseball scouts out there.
Speaker 2: Joe, I mean, and it's high praise coming from Joe. Of course, they have history, they have a lot of time together in Tampa. But Joe's also one of the better baseball mindset that I can ever be around. It's not about results, it's not about numbers, wins, losses. It's just about the fact that, like so many things that Joe is speaking on, come from experience. I think that is probably like the best thing you can go from when you're talking about the game of baseball. It's nice to study stuff, it's nice to read up on stuff, right, whether it's looking at video, whether it's watching a game that night. But when you can speak from experience and act on that, I think it goes a long way. And then we're talking about Joe. You're talking about Andrew seeing him in that draft room and how he is able to read the room, listen to the room, observe when he speaks. You see a smile on his face. It's not ah, boy, here we go. Now I have to like speak up on this and like put something in line. It's like no, Like he's like, here's an opportunity for everyone here to learn, but also an opportunity for him to like continue to get better, containing to sharpen his tools and just make his strength a weapon.
Speaker 1: Jason Hayward is our guest. He has a lot of baseball and life experience out there. All of us could benefit from Jason Hayward being our life coach. Before I let you go, we all know about you and Freddie Freeman and the relationship friendship that you guys have.
Speaker 3: Is it weird that you're Freddy's boss?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Are you Freddy's boss and the position you're in?
Speaker 2: No? I think. I think what's very cool about our relationship is it's it's always been organic.
Speaker 3: Do you speak to him like you're his boss?
Speaker 2: No, it gets to remain the same, right, And what's coolest though, is like we both speak to each other like we want the best out of each other and the best for each other, So do not have the break stride and that it's just man like again to me in my mind, like the most dodger thing ever is like, no show up, be who you are, want to get the best out of yourself, want to get the best out of others around you, And like that's always been our relationship. Don't take it for granted. We do our best to have felt with it on and off the field. And you know, to see his son Charlie run around out here, in the outfield making diving plays and stuff. Super cool. And then my oldest son, Messi came in today earlier, you know, he was using Charlie's bat in the cage taking swings and as we're walking around Dodger Stadium. So like, those are the kind of moments now that we you know, Freddie and I get to pay forward to each other. It's like also being dads in a game that's given us a lot.
Speaker 1: And he's surprised that he's able to find himself hitting three hundred again this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super surprised.
Speaker 1: No, well, you know how everybody's so quick. You know this at the end of your career. Everybody wants to be so quick to end it for you when there's a lot more left for him and for other guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely, it's fair. It's more than fair for people to do that. They're only human, right you know, the critics are going to be the critics, and rightfully, so, you know, I feel like it's cool that I'll say this, Like a lot of those voices, especially when you get your the point of this part of his career that he's in, a lot of those voices have seen a lot of baseball, right, And so that being said, you also get the privilege and honor of being critiqued by some of the best in the game. And I think he wears that bad as a badge of honor, but no surprise at all that he's stubborn to his process. He wears his emotions on the sleeves. But he gets right back in there the next day and he's like, Man, how can I do this? This is how many swings I'm gonna take? This is gonna be in my approach? What do I need to tweak, like maybe less than a centimeter of amount of like an adjustment because he's like, I'm not going too far from from where I am. And for him to be able to look in the mirror at this point seventeen years later, say I still see the same guy. That's that's the badge of a Hall of Famer, for sure.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 1: That's why I like these two guys, Hayward and Freeman. They got their feet on the ground, hungry and humble.
Speaker 3: That's these two guys.
Speaker 1: Jason Hayward especially, thank you for the time, and I love waiting for you.
Speaker 3: I'll wait tend deep to talk to you next time.
Speaker 2: I appreciate shit your waiting man, you know me, it's always gonna be the job first. But then absolutely make sure I get a chance to enjoy the people around, enjoy speaking to yourself, and also enjoy listening to you guys on iHeartRadio. And by the way, I'm not paying to say that. I know I got I got a gift card and all these things, but you know, whether it's me walking around Arizona at the complex or if I'm walking around Chicago with the fam, anything like that, like I do listening and tune in, and so it's nice to keep keep tabs on these guys. But also hear how invested that you guys are into the club, and it makes it that much more fun to be here in person.