Speaker 1: Black Friday is it's still a thing now. Do you remember when you were younger, or when you were a kid, your mom would drag you out to wait in line for a tickle me Elmo. I don't know that there are Black Friday lines like there used to be. I remember people used to wait in line, Like stores would open midnight or five am or whatever, and they'd give you Black Friday. But then somebody realized I don't know it was Walmart or who realized, well, why don't we just start on Thursday? Yeah, Thursday Black Friday doorbusters at two pm? Do they do that? I thought a lot of places closed early Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: No, they well they started to open early now like they stay closed in the morning, and then they opened in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Right. But then I don't even know that they do that anymore because people shop online so much, and people are like, well, we want if I'm Target, I want you to buy my TV, which is on Black Friday specials before Walmart's by Big Screen TV. So I'm going to make my Black Friday starting Monday at noon, Black Friday Specials Monday at noon. So I don't know that there is a solid Black Friday hard opening anymore. I remember, though, like waiting in line at Best Buy with Steve years ago, the one up in the shops at Arbor Lake, I think, I think, and waiting in line and buying Carson a robot that he never played with, and then waiting in line one time, Susan waiting in line a KB Toy hobby at Mall of America for a furbie. I remember one time we were so lame we waited at Office Max for a computer. That's lame. Did you guys wait in line for any black and is it still a thing if you work in retail? Are you doing a Black Friday at Mall of America? Is there any Black Friday specials or are they all online?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did. My sister, my older sister and I and my mom we would.
Speaker 2: Wait outside usually we would did we did jay Z Pennies. I think we maybe did like Target our Best Buy once or twice, but it was always Pennies because I think you got like a snow globe for the first hundred people and then we just run in. And I remember one time being a little brat and I did push someone to the side because they were pushing me and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, get out of my way.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I didn't wait in line for anything.
Speaker 5: But I used to go yeah at midnight with my my Metalle squad with my dad and my step mom and cousin. But we just would go for vibes, not even because we really wanted a TV or a coat or anything. We'd just be like, Oh, it's cool to be out at the in the mall at midnight.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. It is fun.
Speaker 2: It is a fun energy on Black Friday. I think I think Billy because Billy is one of the only ones that's worked in like retail, retail of all of us, and she said that she did like working I think on Black Friday because it was just like fun.
Speaker 5: I also remember like going on Black Friday just to see, like last.
Speaker 1: Year, I went to it.
Speaker 5: What's the Win in Minatonka Ridgetail Center, like going to it. Yeah, I went there, and I just remember seeing how packed it was and just the vibe and the like energy of oh my god, there's so many people trying to get all these deals. I just I don't know, it's a rush and it's corny, but it's so cool.
Speaker 1: No, you nailed it. Vonn because that is part of the reasons why Black Friday was fun, or like shot hopping on Black Friday, even if you're not there at five o'clock in the morning, it's just a vibe. And then you stop and you get a Cariboo pepper MINTI something or other drink and you get a cookie, and then you do something, Oh we got to get this. Oh we gotta get a candle for Grandma. I love that. We asked people on Facebook, what did you do for Black Friday? What do you remember? Logan writes in I got a TV fifty five inch TV for five hundred dollars, stood in line at Walmart from ten at night until five in the morning, grabbed all the Fast and Furious DVDs they had paid part cash Park gift card, part shop kick app credit, part credit card. The cash here hated me. I think that's funny, Carrie says. I went shopping in Eden Prairie Mall when they did staggering staggered openings to the stores and there were prizes you could win. It was a fun memory. I think it was the year of guitar hero here's one. Katie Gulicksen, great Minnesota name says one year, we waited in line for a log splitter. Well, that's no fun of your kid, but dad wants a log splitter. Jessica writes in two years in a row, a group of a set out best side of Best Buy for ten hours. I got a computer the first year. It was so cheap and totally worth it. Next year I got a pink iPod I needed by music. These are great. And there were people who would set up tents. Remember did you ever see on the news some Yahoo would set up a tent outside of best Buy, like the Monday before and Best Buy loved it because then Channel four would come by and cover this Yahoo Who's got their tent set up? Like now you know, I want to be the first one in line, so like, yeah, you beat them by about four days, buddy.
Speaker 5: It used to be just as crazy as it was when the Krispy Kreme o been in Fridley. Like that line was just through the parking lot of whatever that shopping center is. That's how chaotic it used to be, but in a good way because everybody was there for I mean not say it a good way because sometimes as soon as they open them doors, people would be busting down Grandma's to get to the new air fry or whatever.
Speaker 1: They're like, I want to know why I want it.
Speaker 5: I just I think part of it died down, and then I think all of it died down after COVID, But I think even before COVID, it was the part of it there was like, uh, maybe we're not going to do this, and then that just ended it completely.
Speaker 1: Like twenty four seven walmarts, Why don't they bring those back? They walmarts aren't open twenty four to seven. I don't think so, not Anymore's.
Speaker 2: Probably some, but I don't think. I don't think anybody needs to be a Walmart at two am.
Speaker 4: No, sorry, scary at ten am right a couple.
Speaker 1: Of I'm looking at text messages to see if anybody's like doing a Black Friday thing. If you work in retail and you're doing a Black Friday doorbuster at five am or seven am or whatever, let me know. I don't think that they are a thing anymore. Where a generation ago that was part of the fun thing that you did on Black Friday, Oh Black Friday shopping. We did have some audio from the Dave Ryan Vault. Intern John was on our show until like about twenty ten or twelve, and one day we sent intern John out to a Best Buy to cut in line to see what people would say and do. Here's a clip from the vault of intern John cutting in a black Friday line.
Speaker 5: All right, so the line here, there's probably like three hundred people on line right now.
Speaker 1: Everybody's looking at me. So I'm gonna try to walk to the front of front of somebody. Who happens This is not gonna go Well are you walking?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, they're gonna start hitting stuff out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we were in line first.
Speaker 4: No you weren't, so get back, get back right now?
Speaker 3: Sure we were.
Speaker 1: Listen, what do you mean, I have my ticket ready?
Speaker 5: Listen?
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, I was here.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: Listen to me, look into my eyes. If you were not in the first place, go back here. Okay, I'm already here though. Okay, you stay here though, No, listen, be here for twenty four hours, I mean for twenty six Listen. You gotta go back.
Speaker 4: I was here.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, you gotta go back or not.
Speaker 4: Believe John, It just like I'm just just staying here. Can't I just stay here?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: I would be so uncomfortable. You could never have sent me out to do stunts like that.
Speaker 3: I just didn't do.
Speaker 1: Wow. Are they called my folders the Dodger? Good Bye Budgers? Yeah? God, Budger Budger.
Speaker 4: Wow, look me in the eyes, Look me in the eyes.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. But you know what, think about it. If some Yahoo walks in front of you and you've been in line for twelve hours or whatever, Yeah, you're gonna be pissed. I had not heard that audio since that happened, and that was probably like two thousand and nine or something like that. Wow, that's good stuff. Thank you, intern, John. We'll be back in a second on Katie WB. What do we got coming up on the show? Anything good, Jane?
Speaker 4: Yeah, We're gonna play a little game that we do on Wednesdays.
Speaker 2: It's called face Off. You're hosting, Dave. Are you ready for it?
Speaker 1: But we'll do it anyway, And it's coming up next on KATWB. We were talking about Black Friday a little while ago and whether people still do Black Fridays, and we didn't get a lot of text messages that people do, but somebody said, I work at the Walmart and Cambridge we are opening at six aarm on a ton of cash is or scheduled to start at five point forty five, including me. This one says, I work at jay Hill, that's women's clothing. We started our Black Friday today, So I think they do. They beat everybody to the punch, and I think that's kind of fun. Just totally a different, like societal shift where it used to be like, Okay, we're getting up early, We're going down to Walmart. Jcpenny is doing Black Friday. They open at five am and they're giving away a snow globe. Now I'm amazed. I'm amazed they're still doing that because I'm thirty years ago I got a snow globe from j C. Penny. Yes, that's crazy. All right, are you guys ready for a little competition. I'm ready playing a game called what is this game called? Anyway? Face off? Face off? Okay, face off, Vont facing off with Jenny. Vont. You remove your headphones so you will not hear the categories, and Jenny will go first. Then we'll bring Vont into the room and Vont will try to do the same categories, naming more items in the category then Jenny did. And I want you to shout out at your radio or in your mind. Items in the category vunt Please remove your headphonees go to go on my smoke breaks. Are you okay?
Speaker 3: Bye?
Speaker 1: Jenny, you are now on the hot seed. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: I'm ready? But you have to take score. Can you do it?
Speaker 1: I can keep school. Okay, you got it. Jenny? Here, can go run the timer fifteen seconds? I need you to name as many kids party themes.
Speaker 2: Go, Carnival, Circus, Paw Patrol, Disney, Princess, Lego, Superhero, bub Batman, Superman, Spiderman.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was time.
Speaker 1: Okay, you did well. I don't know the carnival and circus are really what do you mean? But I'll allow it. I will all it.
Speaker 4: I feel like circus is like you know, Okay, I don't need that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Jenny. Your next category on face off. Name as many as you can in fifteen seconds. Things you keep in your car's trunk go.
Speaker 2: Extra shoes, a blanket, a shovel, a car scraper, bags for groceries, a hammock, a roller blades, a toolbox hammer.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Can you please give me rollerblades because I do really keep my in there?
Speaker 1: Okay, I will. I will not only give you rollerblades. I'm going to give you a hammock because I know you do that. I do actually probably have a hammock in I do. Okay, your next category, Jenny, name as many as you can in fifteen seconds. Your category is bad habits, go.
Speaker 2: Smoking, drinking, meth, cocaine, USh mushrooms, ecstasy, farting, eating too much, not eating enough cigars?
Speaker 4: Is vaping? Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't did she say vaping twice? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't say vaping twice? Okay, if you want to give me, I did say math, Yeah, I did say math.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Jenny, very good, very solid, solid performance. Let's bring in young Vontavious Leak to see how he does that. Vaunt is welcome back into the studio, back for your round of face off. Vaunt, Jenny did well. You need to bring your A game in order to win on face off, but not stellar.
Speaker 4: I got you.
Speaker 1: Okay, vont your first category. Name as many as you can in fifteen seconds. Kids, party themes, Go.
Speaker 5: Blues Clues, Bluey Barney, Dora, Mickey Mouse, Paul Patrol, Miss Rachel Barney. H Uh Daffy Duck, Looney Tunes and spy Man, Superman.
Speaker 1: Whoa you squeezed in a couple there at the finish line. Okay, vont your next category. Name as many as you can in fifteen seconds. Things you keep in your car trunk go uh, extra spare tire.
Speaker 5: I keep a grocery cart to bring stuff in, sometimes extra cases of water, paper, towels, toolkit, jumper cables, an extra jacket, sometimes a blanket, a towel.
Speaker 4: Did you say a grocery cart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I have an apartment, so that way I don't have to carry a bunch of bags.
Speaker 1: It's like a big cart. Texting you exactly what I'm talking about. No, they do.
Speaker 4: I thought you were talking about like a Costo.
Speaker 1: Not a Costco cart. It's like it's just a.
Speaker 4: Cart for my grocery filed the cart from the grocery store.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't know what I got my drunk? All right, all right, all right, vant you've done well. Thank you. Your final category on face off is bad habits.
Speaker 5: Please go biting your nails, saying or like not saying thank you to people, not texting back, not emailing people back, blinking too many times.
Speaker 1: Saying, oh, I said that already.
Speaker 4: Damn it blinking too many times.
Speaker 1: You were on a roll until you got to category number three, which was kind of your weak spot. But let's see how you did overall, all right. Category one kids party Themes, Jenny had ten, Vont had eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, I thought you blew me out of the water on that one.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: Shout out my mom every year. Head at them at my birthday party. Category two, Things you keep in your trunk? Jenny had nine, Vant had nine. Dang okay. Next one, bad habits. Vaunt was only able to struggle to come up with five. Jenny came up with eleven bad habits. Today's winner on face Off is weather Girl Jenny's Luttenberger.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, Jenny, wouldn't we have tied?
Speaker 2: BoNT got the first round, We tied the second, and then I got the third.
Speaker 1: No, that mean I score by the number of correct answers, Jenny, you score your way. I score my way.
Speaker 4: Hey, I like it. I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Baby, give me that w G the kiss the ring that was Fallin's saying.
Speaker 4: Every time she'd be like what she say, kiss the ring?
Speaker 1: Now her hand is in my face and a little between your knuckles. Good job, guys, it's KTBB. Let's get right into Dave's dirt and wrap things up. Here we go Dave's Dirt on kt WB.
Speaker 2: Hot topics and breaking news every hour on Dave's Dirt on.
Speaker 1: Katie WB aka don't skip Breakfast. A lot of people think that tomorrow morning, the best way to prepare for the Thanksgiving feast is not eating at all on Thursday morning. Now that you think it's a winning strategy for being able to gobble up as much as humanly possible during the meal, but dietitians say the plan is gonna set you up for failure. Skipping meals could make you so hungry that you eat too much and too quickly, and then you feel lousy afterward. Elizabeth Shaw, who is a registered dietitian, says, your body's gonna appreciate being fed at regular times. Setting you up for success is you enter the eating occasions later in the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, typically your mom doesn't let you in in the kitchen. I on my own, well at least with my girlfriend, but I'd probably still for the effect of Oh, I've been waiting for this food all day.
Speaker 1: Probably won't eat breakfast. I'm with you, bon I really don't eat it either. It's like, oh, we're gonna get you. What time we're gonna eat, Well, probably around three, and I'll be like, oh, it's take so much better. Totally true. Yep.
Speaker 2: Something to take the edge off at Thanksgiving dinner when your uncle Earl starts bringing up politics as marijuana, because apparently today is known as green Ones and as a millennial, I know it as blackout Wednesday because everyone goes to the bars and gets drunk.
Speaker 4: But this is the new thing.
Speaker 2: It's called green Wednesday because cannabis sales are the second highest today outside of on four twenty, which is known as the national holiday for marijuana. So you might see a couple of relatives a little bit high today or not today at Thanksgiving tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh that's temper. Are you going out to the bars or anything like that tonight? I mean it is anybody like you know, Thanksgiving night Eve is such a big bar night. And we're out in Colorado when we live about a mile away from a dumpy bar that's been there since before World War Two. It's in the same footprint, it looks the same as it always did. There's even carvings on the bar that's like, you know, hire Bob Jones nineteen forty one or whatever, and it's like, Wow, So we're going out to this dumpy neighborhood bar to have a couple of drinks and maybe play cards or whatever. What are you guys going to do?
Speaker 2: I mean from age nineteen, because you are allowed to drink with your parents at like age in Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: So from about nineteen.
Speaker 2: To twenty nine ish, I was at the bar, yes, every single Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: But I passed that.
Speaker 2: I'm past that era of my life. Tonight, I'm gonna be at home, maybe have a glass of wine and get up early so I can watch the Macy's Things Giving Day, prey, that's my plan.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's cool, you know what, that's great fun. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't smoke weed, but I might pop a little edibuller too, so that like just vibe while we're sitting get ready to cook Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 4: So no bar for you, no body.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe tomorrow we'll see you are.
Speaker 2: Your friends because you're young, you're in the era of where friends would like all get together in your hometown and go to the bar.
Speaker 4: Is that a thing in Jersey or not so much?
Speaker 1: I think it is. I didn't.
Speaker 5: We used to just do a bunch of friends givings and then we kind of get drunk there, yeah, or not even drunk, but just have a couple of SIPs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's exciting. So I'm excited about this.
Speaker 5: It's a show called Star Search, which you're very familiar with if you were born in like the if you move around in the eighties or nineties.
Speaker 1: Netflix is bringing it back. Is a little clip.
Speaker 3: The Greatest Stars of Our Time is back live only on Netflix. The brand new Star Search. The next great star will be discovered.
Speaker 5: And I had this list earlier of stars that were discovered on the original run Martin Lawrence Ussher, Atlantis, Morris Said, Adam Sandler, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Kevin James.
Speaker 1: There are so many, and I feel like for that purpose, it's cool for nostalgia.
Speaker 5: But it's just so easy to get popular these days because of the Internet, because of social media, and.
Speaker 1: We'll do it so differently now. It's like back then there was like a couple of avenues to get famous, and if you were on TV, back when there were only three networks, Star Search launched a lot of people because it was the only ticket in town.
Speaker 5: Really, yeah, would people go on and just like audition with whatever, like if it was stand up or singing?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Yeah, okay, exactly.
Speaker 2: And now there's just so many reality shows where you could potentially get famous, on top of the fact that you can get famous off of social media. So I just feel like nobody actually gets famous from these shows anymore.
Speaker 1: But I think nostalgia purposes.
Speaker 5: If you what if you liked the original Star Surge or just like reality shows period, this just might be something good for you to get into on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Something else you guys should get into if you need some energy over the holiday season is go to holiday station stores and get some Celsius Strengths because I've got a sweet deal where you can get two for five dollars.
Speaker 1: Right now, WHOA are you serious?
Speaker 4: Exactly serious?
Speaker 1: All right, listen, happy Thanksgiving. We could give you a big corny speech about how thankful for you we are that you are here, that you listen, and I hope we express that gratitude all the time, because we really do love the fact that my favorite four hours of the day are usually right here on KWB, and even though you and I maybe never met before, I feel like some of the closest people are the people who listen to this show. And of course I love you guys, I love the people who work here. But I'm just I want to express a little thankfulness for the fact that you're here, whether you've listened for a day or whether you've listened for many years. Thank you. We really appreciate you, and hopefully that comes through. Christmas Wish starts on Monday when we come back. Be safe, drive safe, and have a great Thanksgiving. From KDWB