Speaker 1: All right, it is Mojo in the morning.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You cannot, as a parent ever give your child an empty threat, and you did this weekend. Shannon.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, okay, yes it was an empty threat, but I was Have you ever been in that situation where you're so frustrated with something and you're just like trying to come up with some sort of consequence, so like something comes out of your mouth and you're like, I know, I'm not going to follow through with this whatsoever.
Speaker 1: So every time I ever took the kid's phones away from them, I regretted it the moment, I think because then I had to actually talk to him.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with you, I'm usually very mindful and cautious about the consequences that I give to the kids because I know I have to follow through. I also know I'm gonna pushover, but I know I need to follow through it. Well, this was like a different story. So we're taking a spring break trip this year, and it's myself and my husband Wes, my kids, Lucy and Smith, and then my stepdaughter Samantha is coming as well. Kieran, my step son. He's away at college. He has a totally different spring break and it is Samantha. She's a junior, so this is her last really family trip. I guess that she's going to be taking with us because next year she's going to go on saying senior spring break.
Speaker 1: She's going to be doing her own thing.
Speaker 3: So we had a family meeting a couple of weeks ago about where do we where should we go?
Speaker 1: Where do we want to go?
Speaker 3: And Wes and I had narrowed it down after a lot of research to three places. All of them were we're going to cost us about the same, so we didn't care where, you know, we chose as a family and the three destinations were the Florida Keys, Mexico, or London. Yes, believe it or not, flying to London and doing a trip there's the same as going.
Speaker 1: To the Florida case.
Speaker 3: So we gave everybody, we talked through all the choices. Then we voted and Lucy and I voted for London, Samantha and Smith voted for Mexico, and Wes was kind of on the fence. Well, we ended up going with Mexico. We're gonna go to Mexico and we're gonna We used Costco Travel to do this and they make it so dang easy. So we were like, okay, we're going to choose the easy, the easy route here. And also that's kind of where Sam wanted to go, and I thought her last spring break, we're gonna, you know, let her pick. Lucy not happy about that because we did not pick where she wanted to go, and she has been disgruntled about it since we made the decision and booked the trip. And so over the weekend, we went to the mall and I took the kids shopping for some warm weather clothes because I thought, okay, let's like start to get prepared for this. It's going to come up on us fast. We might as well, you know, buy some shorts and flip flops and whatnot. And she was acting pretty ungrateful about it, and was just complaining and complaining, and so I said, I stopped walking, and I said, fine, then just stay with dad while we all go on the trip, and she.
Speaker 1: Goes, fine, I will.
Speaker 4: I wanted to do that.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So I very dramatically pulled my phone out of my purse and I wrote my an email in all caps. The subject line was cancel Lucy's flight. And I made sure that she could see it. I'm like, okay, I'll remember on Monday to go, you know, into the account and cancel, cancel your you're part of the tread. She was so quiet for the rest of the day and so quiet when we got home, and then that evening I got an apology from her that she was acting, you know, she was being ungrateful and she did want to go and she was just saying that. And she also goes, mom, I knew you weren't going to cancel that ticket, Like yeah, I was like, no, I really was going.
Speaker 1: To have you done that before where you said you were going to do something and you didn't do it, and that's why she knew it or what do you think?
Speaker 3: I think that it was such a big threat that she knew that.
Speaker 1: I was not. I was not going to do that. I'm always amazed at the parents that make the big threat and do the follow through, like the parents who will say I'm turning this car around and turn the car around like it's pretty wild. Like when you do that, I give you guys tons of credit. Chelse would give me so much crap over time, because I would go right for the gusto man, I'd go for the big one. I'd do them. I would do the grand slam of you know your I'm grounding you for the summer, and Chelsea would look go job yeah eight four four mojo live eight four four six six five six five four eight. Uh do you okay? So here's here's a topic that I've always wanted to know. Has anybody ever had like some huge punishment that they had to follow through on and what was it? And then also what's the biggest punishment you remember as a kid. There was a kid in my neighborhood that I remember was grounded for the whole summer. Oh yeah, I remember, kids. I mean it was wid Do you remember what he did? He failed like three classes in school and it was all because he just wasn't doing anything. He wasn't showing up or anything of that, and had to do summer school. The kid had to go. We literally we would drive our bikes, ride our bikes by his house and he would be inside the house or he'd be outside doing lawn work and he couldn't even talk to us for the whole summer.
Speaker 3: But I have a friend who made the threat of she got lions tickets like good seats Lions tickets. She the family never gets to do something like that, and her and her husband saved up got tickets for all the kids, and two of the kids were being, you know, bad, and so she was like, that's it, you know, gave them a final warning of we're I'll sell the tickets, we're not going to the game, and she ended she actually ended up selling the tickets and they all didn't go to the game, and she's like, I'm pissed because I wanted to go to the game so bad, but she followed through with that threat.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. I always think it's wild that that the one parent that does make that threat does stay home. And let's sometimes because sometimes the best threat is not just selling the tickets, it's letting the others in the family go and you having to stay home with your kid. Morgan, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Hey, I was just calling.
Speaker 6: So when I was younger, back when phones had like the prepaid minute, I without thinking realizing what I was doing, racked up like four hundred dollars worth of internet charges. And so for Christmas, my mom worked it out with all of my family, where for cousins, they gave me the exact amount of money that I owed.
Speaker 2: For the bill that I was unaware of.
Speaker 6: And then she turned around, showed me the bill and said, now you can give me all your Christmas money.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, and took it all. You know, your first dose of the bill collector right there, having them come right at you. Uh, what is it they? What do they do to your wages?
Speaker 5: They?
Speaker 1: She garnished your Christmas presents? What's going on? Megan?
Speaker 4: Hey guys, I just wanted to comment that I'm now in my forties, but when I was back in high school, I told my parents I quit smoking. They caught me several times and they said, well, we catch you again. You're not going on your senior trip to Cedar Point and you we will drive you to prom and home from Prom, and you will not go out with your friends after. Well, I was working at Best Buy one day and sitting in my car smoking on break, and my parents rolled up. I just dropped the cigarette and I knew right then and there I was done.
Speaker 7: And they held me to it.
Speaker 4: And to this day, I'm still like dramatized.
Speaker 1: They drove you to prom, yes, oh my god?
Speaker 4: And my boyfriend to prom and came and picked.
Speaker 1: Me up and no spring break at all? Was that the last cigarette you had? Yes? Is that drue? Where do you take the cigarette? It was brutal?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait are you joking with us when you said that was the last cigarette you ever had? I?
Speaker 4: Well, no, yeah, I am joking because it was I cont you to smoke after that, but I did, like in two thousand and fourteen.
Speaker 1: God, okay, all right, we just want to, uh, what's up?
Speaker 4: By?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is it Jaysa?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's Jisa.
Speaker 1: What's up? Look at you?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 8: My story is that when I was in high school, I was like a sophomore and I'm a sophomore in college, I got my phone took them away for like three months.
Speaker 5: It was like the worst push but ever, because.
Speaker 8: When you're in high school, everybody has the phones and it's just like wow, like you don't have your phone. And me and my friend Jocelyn, we would doom call and we would set up doom calls and we would email each other about what would happened and stuff.
Speaker 1: And wait, what did you get grounded for three months from your phone for what'd you do?
Speaker 8: My mom was really really strict. It was because I had a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Ah, well, you were doing something with your boyfriend too, besides just having a boyfriend. Naughty? Am I right?
Speaker 4: Well not really, I was.
Speaker 8: I was good, but she just she.
Speaker 1: Just didn't want you to have them. Okay, all right? Three months without a phone, man, I'd lose my mind. What's up, Ashley, Take guys.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Good morning. I I am the youngest of three daughters and I had have still have the best parents growing up, though my oldest sister was the troublemaker.
Speaker 7: She would push all the boundaries, and my dad just he he set the tone for parenting.
Speaker 5: So my sister brought.
Speaker 7: Home an interim halfway through a you know, report card season, and she had a dep and my dad said, if you do not get this great up to at least ab you know, it can be like low B whatever. You're going to be granted for the whole next quarter, the whole nine weeks. Well, my sister, not thinking he's going to be serious about it, she got a D.
Speaker 2: He said, that's it.
Speaker 7: You're done. No friends, no sporting events, nothing. Wow, it's the most social person.
Speaker 1: And that was, Oh, that's crazy. That's a long time that you're without it, because you're great and the worst is you're waiting for the good grades to come out. Man, I hope she got good grades. What's that, Bresa?
Speaker 2: Hello? First time one time? Well round? Yeah, I ground I grounded my son when he was fifteen. He's twenty five now. He would refuse to do anything but to play video games, and his grades were suffering so much so with my husband, and I actually was more him than than I did, but I allow it there I'm remarried. So he took all everything away, all video games, consoled anything that was in the house, and lastly was the phone was six months rounded without it. We will used to tell him, ah.
Speaker 1: Six months no electronics, man.
Speaker 2: Not nothing. And he actually and I treld him with the week. He told me he was gonna go leave with his dad and I said, okay, you are, you are going, I said, but you're not going with your dad.
Speaker 5: You're going to a board in school.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, in a boarding school. I remember when in the boarding school. Brisa, Can I ask you an honest question, at any point during the grounding that you had, did you regret it because you had to actually deal with him the whole time?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. My son came back to be a normal kid. To have some conversations, eye contact. See he starts playing guitar.
Speaker 1: He's great, that's awesome. See when I round my kids, when I brought ground my kids, it's more of a punishment for me than it is for them. Thank you.
Speaker 2: He's married and he finished college.
Speaker 1: So good good work. Thank you Bresa for the call.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Bye bye real quick, one last call here, Martha. We were talking about the people that will threaten. I'll turn the car around. What happened, Martha.
Speaker 10: So when I was like going into high school, it was my boyfriend's first time going to Thanksgiving with us, and this was back in California, and it was like a three hour drive and me and my brother did not want to go. So we just kept fighting and acting up in the back seat, and my dad kept threatening, like, if you guys don't behay. My mom had cooked the turkey, everything that was in the trunk, and my dad kept threatening like, if you guys don't stop, we're going home. And we're like, well that's what we want. So we kept going and finally he got fed up, pulled over. We ended up. We're like, what are we doing? He made everyone get down and we ended up having Thanksgiving at a truck.
Speaker 3: Stop around.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so my boyfriend's first time.
Speaker 4: Going to Thanksgiving with us and we're having.
Speaker 1: Dinner at a truck Was your boyfriend thinking your family's weird?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well he's my husband now, so he's still.
Speaker 1: By the way. Ever, when you're at your family's house, you ever sit there and go, God, those days were better than now, like sitting at a truck shop eating.
Speaker 10: Definitely, definitely talking, That's what my husband.
Speaker 5: Definitely, we talked about it all the time.
Speaker 10: And the funniest thing was he made us unload everything when we got home, put it away, and then he made us all go back to my grandma's house the.
Speaker 1: Next day, Oh and do it make good.
Speaker 10: Dinner with her and then work the farm.
Speaker 1: Did the truckers forever look at you guys like, what the hell is this family doing eating turkey?
Speaker 5: And yes, we got especially because my brother's like, what the heck are we doing here? He's like, mom, but we have a turkey in the trunk. So yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was funny.
Speaker 5: I was shocking at the time, and I kept apologizing to my husband and my well my boyfriend then, but to my husband and but I will never forget that.
Speaker 10: I think that was one of our best things giving.
Speaker 1: That's cool, that's awesome. Good family, mommies right there, mommies. I'm a man now