Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talkers, the Dodgers and Padres from Piero, Arizona. And we're joined right now by a man that joined the Dodger organization at the trade deadline last year. He was with the Red Sox. The Dodgers acquired him from Boston in exchange for Dustin May. And here he is James Tibbs the Third, a proud Florida State seminole and camp with the Dodgers Number one. Congratulations on all the success you've had and welcome to this organization.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I mean, it is an honor to be here. This place is surreal.
Speaker 3: I mean, the guys walking around, you know, the locker room, the staff, it's first class and I'm so happy to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: What's it been like for you? Three different organizations in a matter of months. How have you been able to handle all that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty seven days, I think to be exact, it's been a lot, you know, the uh it was it was a hard transition both times, and I think just finding ways to get comfortable, find ways to be you know, comfortable being uncomfortable, you know, learning new people and just relying on the Lord. I mean, at the end of the day, you know, God has gotten me through this, and so I'm so thankful to be here, and I'm so thankful to be a part of this organization and for them to want me, for them to want me to be here, I mean, it's it's a dream come true.
Speaker 1: As a minor league player, everybody wants to try to put their fingerprints on you guys and maybe tweak something. Being with three different organizations, how have you been able to stay true to yourself as a hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been hard.
Speaker 3: It's been a learning curve, you know, first two years in pro or first year, just my second year in pro ball, and so for me to come in here and expect, you know, to try to do everything myself and and and you know, there was always places and avenues that we could get better at, and so being open minded to those things and still sticking true to myself was a huge deal for me.
Speaker 2: You know, I was so blessed.
Speaker 3: You know, Bill Rhymes and I had a conversation early on and it was just like, hey man, we just want you to be you.
Speaker 2: And so it was such a beautiful thing to hear that in the way to the world.
Speaker 3: I felt like I came off my shoulders, just allowing me the freedom to go out here and compete and do what I do well, and them to be okay with that and to help me, you know, maximize what I do well and the best avenues for me.
Speaker 2: It was it was a dream come true, you know. And so for them to do those things, it.
Speaker 3: Really helped me understand a what I do well and be how we can you know, work and maybe tweak and make those things even better.
Speaker 1: That's refreshing it here because you hear big leaguers when they're signed by the Dodgers or traded. The one thing that Andrew Freeman always talks about is be yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean that was literally the name of the game.
Speaker 3: You know. We felt like we had a good foundation, you know, coming into pro ball, and so for them to come in there and say, hey.
Speaker 2: We love what you do, we want you to do what you do and and help me to you know.
Speaker 3: Maximize those things, it literally was is you know, an answer to prayer.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was such a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: And from the top down, they've been nothing but welcoming and helpful and helping me.
Speaker 2: From the players, the staff, you know, the front office.
Speaker 3: Everybody's been so welcoming and it's really made my life a lot easier on the field and makes me feel I can play with freedom, you know, do what I want to do and do it to the best of my ability.
Speaker 1: Go into a school like Florida State, not only are you teammates with some of the best in the country, but you're playing some of the best and facing pitchers that are the best. What is the biggest jump from playing at a powerhouse college program compared to coming to professional baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just the level execution, the attention to detail the things that they do well here at the big league or in the big league, in big league camp, in the minor leagues, they try to continue to work on those and and and use those pitches and locate, you know, if they can locate. You know, they're trying to play to their strengths. And so for me in college, it was a little more broad in terms of how they were trying to approach me, and so now as getting into pro ball, it's a lot more specific. They're trying to, you know, figure out what works well for them against me, you know, and so being able to just you know, figure what those things are, you know, and and and work around them and try to maximize my ability in those situations.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably been the biggest you know.
Speaker 3: Jump for me, is the level execution, the mind games, you know, figuring out how to play along with the pitcher, all those things.
Speaker 2: You know, you have to do at a higher level.
Speaker 3: And so it's been my favorite part of the game, but it's definitely been the most frustrating at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for a young guy, it sounds like you have an approach a plan before you even start in the batter's box.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean it goes without saying like if you don't have a plan, you're going up there.
Speaker 2: You know, in a very tough spot.
Speaker 3: And so for me, you know, it started a long time ago and even in high school and just really trying to figure out what it means to have an approach, figure out what approach works best for me, and and really just go out and use it, stick to it, you know, the you know, basically you know, whatever it is, go down, you know, swing it, go down with that approach, and if it works it works, and if not, we stick to it for the next next at bats.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go. And James Tibbs, the third is our guest. You're gonna know his name and you're gonna see him at Dodger Stadium soon. You're right in the middle of the clubhouse. That's where your locker is. When you look to the other side of the room and you see guys like Freddie Freeman, you work next to guys like taoscar Hernandez. What's it like to be in this clubhouse with so many guys that have reached the mountain top year after year?
Speaker 3: You have a lot of people to ask a lot of good questions too, would be the main thing. You know, My whole goal coming into spring training was just soak everything in, be a sponge, you know, write it all down, figure out ways. You know, maybe people do things differently. How does that work for me? You know, maybe they do things in ways I haven't thought before, maybe approaches they.
Speaker 2: Haven't thought, you know, I haven't thought before, and.
Speaker 3: So it's really just trying to learn as much as I can figure out, you know, almost add another tool to the toolbox of what you know can allow me to take the next steps and be, you know, an even better player. And you know, you couldn't ask for a better locker room. You've got Hall of famers all over this locker room, and so to be able to just you know, be around them and listen to what their conversations and ask questions, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, credit to them.
Speaker 3: They've been nothing but welcoming in those areas, you know, absolutely answering every question.
Speaker 2: It's just been a dream come true. I'm so thankful to be here.
Speaker 1: James, thanks a lot for the time. It's great to introduce you to Dodger fans because certainly you are very close to helping this team in the Big League. So thank you for the time and we look forward to seeing you all spring long.
Speaker 2: Peah, thank you so much.