Speaker 1: Six point thirty eight seven hundred wl WU rnlkerri Or Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm Lance, but callisterre glad to have you here. Let's get into it. I cannot wait. I have been privy to see the trailer to this. I cannot wait to see the finished product. I get chills when I talk about it, and I've got two guests in studio to talk even more about it. The documentary is the cradle of coaches. I have in the studio Scott Thompson and Jesse Herron of Resolved, who are working behind the scenes to put all this together tireless hours, and they've joined me in studio and it is great to see both of you. As you can tell, I'm really fired up about this project. I just find it fascinating. And Scott, let me start with you. And I told you when we sat down to me. One of the moments when Patnerdoozy is quoted I believe in the trailer is saying, it's pretty incredible that a small school in the middle of nowhere changed football. That's a really powerful quote that opens up the door to all days, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: And I tell these guys when I'm interviewing. We've interviewed over ninety people, and I tell them it's all about expectations. I think when you know, you talk to a random person who doesn't know about Miami or the Cradle of Coaches and you start to mention all the coaches, I think it's expectations that the thing, Oh, that's got to be UCLA, Texas, Penn State, these massive schoo Ohio State. No, it's this school that's up in the cornfields, up up in Oxford, and it is produced it literally, I mean when you talk about Paul Brown, the godfather of modern day football, but I mean Paul's just the tip. I mean when you start to look at everybody that's come from that, it's it's actually remarkable, and it's it's florient and you should see people's faces when we tell them, they're like, are you serious right here? Yeah? And not you nothing. I guess you see, we love our Bearcats, but they would expect oh, you see, he's got a long program. They've been this, they've been that. No, it's Miami all the time.
Speaker 1: Was there a light bulb moment that went off that somebody prompted going off?
Speaker 2: You said there should be a documentary about this.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily a light bulb moment, but Alisha Lipton as our client at Miami University, and it really started with a relationship based on marketing and helping them to tell their story about.
Speaker 4: You know, getting enrollment up.
Speaker 3: And she's actually the niece of Era Parsigan, so there's this passion project for her. Not only her, but also the president of Miami University who came from Notre Dame. So President Crawford also has this passion for wanting to tell the story. He takes runs and walks around the statues right outside of Yager Stadium all the time, and he truly thinks that the that the statues are actually talking to him, which is really cool.
Speaker 4: And you know he takes inspiration from that.
Speaker 3: And so when we were asked do you think you guys can do this documentary?
Speaker 4: You know we stood up to the challenge. Yeah. Absolutely, we'd love to help tell these stories.
Speaker 2: You guys are storytellers.
Speaker 1: So how when you've got a project this massive, what are the what are the storylines?
Speaker 2: The threads? What's the direction you try to go with this? So there's three threads that we decided on very early is is the cradle. So if people know about Miami, they know the cradle of coaches is actually much bigger than the ten statues that are outside of Yeager. There's swimming coaches that are in the cradle. They're Sean Payton, the coach for the Broncos. He's in the cradle of coaches. He doesn't have a statue because there's a criteria. So that's one of the threads. The other other two threads are leadership at Miami. Miami is cultivating leaders, not only on the football field, but CEOs. Uh you know, whether you're an engineering, astrophysicist, whatever you are, Yes, Starbucks, They're they're cultivating leaders and you know, and they want to they want to they want to tell that story. And the other one is high school football Ohio. You know, we View Bank is from New Richmond, Indiana. It's probably ten feet away from the border, right, But all the other guys are from Ohio. They all were born here. They all can tell that Ohio story. Why is Ohio football different? And that's one of the thread lines through lines of for this.
Speaker 1: What was it like corralling all these interviews and what kind of I mean, is it ten minutes at a time with him. Do you are you lucky to get him for five minutes? What's it like? In my I would imagine once they got going and got comfortable, it was just a stream of stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It's interesting to try to get all of these doors opened, right when you're talking about ninety people, and you're thinking about Lou Holtz, Sean McVay, John Harbaugh, Zach Rightly, just just so many names. Really, truly, it was about building these relationships, and Miami has a great relationship building. There's this network that Miami has. But we spent probably an hour to ninety minutes with each of these people, so, you know, I talked earlier Sean McVay. It was like he's only done twenty minute interviews before, and I'm like, well, we need him for ninety minutes, and we're not flying to la for twenty minutes with Sean McVay.
Speaker 4: And he gave us ninety minutes gladly.
Speaker 3: Then we ended up having lunch with him and he just told stories and it was wonderful. You know, we were there with him and his old college roomies, Chris Shula and Joe Caniglia.
Speaker 4: It's just awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the moment that Jesse says, we want to do this for Miami. Please tell Sean it's from Miami. How much time do you want?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They it opens the doors.
Speaker 2: These are grown men. They're crying on camera because they have such a love And I'm so jealous.
Speaker 4: Don't tell the secrets of who cries on camp.
Speaker 2: I will, but I'm just you know, Look, I went to UC, I went to the MKU. I didn't have a traditional college experience. These guys that went to Oxford and went for four years and had that beautiful campus, Mother Miami Mother. I lived with Mother Miami and had had that football experience. It means the world to them and they will do anything for Miami.
Speaker 1: This sense of pride, I told you how moving it was just in the trailer when you see him sit down to begin the interview and just the sense of pride that comes through just the trailer that they have. You can feel it is when you have that collection of people all from one school. Is there something in all of their DNA that's woven through it? Is that how does it? How does it happen that it's this school? And that's why, as we say what's in the water in Ohio? What's going on?
Speaker 2: You know? And and they all just since most of them are from Ohio.
Speaker 4: They're also really humble.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean they're so humble.
Speaker 3: That you sit them down and Scott starts like listing all their accolades, and they almost get like shy, like coy about it, right, I mean truly, and you have to tell them like, I know you're humble, but we've got to talk about all the great things that you've done even since you've left.
Speaker 4: Miami, you know.
Speaker 2: Interview McVeigh and Chris Shula an interviewing Joe Coniglio, who's on the staff out there and for the La Rams and saying, hey, you were on the same dorm floor as a Shula in a McVeigh How how cool was that? And Andiglio was like, we were just playing video games eating pizza. We really didn't it.
Speaker 4: Was can jump run?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because they didn't. If you if you talk to Chris Shula, he'll never he interviews himself as Chris. He's never Chris Shula. He does not want to be known as Don Shula's grandson because he wants to carve his own path. Sure, every one of these guys is the same way they are remarkable human beings. He just want to You just want to hang out with him, You want to surround yourself. I mean Aaron Kromer took us out to dinner. He's the offensive line coach for the Bills. He took us out to dinner and it was hanging out with you.
Speaker 3: Find we yeah in Buffalo, Yeah, but yeah, it's been amazing.
Speaker 1: So when when you're putting together all the interviews for this, what else in terms of footage did you have to archive for old game footage, newspaper clippings, what's it like backfilling everything else to make it come alive.
Speaker 3: We're in that process right now, actually, Lance, So we are going to finish up production, so getting a couple more interviews. So we're actually headed to Connecticut next week. We're going to be talking to Chris Berman. I think that's a pretty well known name that everybody knows around here. We're going to talk to some of karm Koza's old Yale players and and then over the next few months we're going to go to actually Baton Rouge and go to LSU Land and talk to some of Paul Dietel's old players and then we're going to wrap up some additional interviews in December, so so those are kind of coming together still, and we're really looking for a Fall of twenty twenty six release. That's sort of the thought process that we have and uh yeah, so so those are to come. I mean, we've started our homework, we've started that research. Typically when we meet with people, they want to hand off things to us too, so we're we're getting quite a lot when we when we meet.
Speaker 4: With them as well.
Speaker 2: Miami has a to I mean, they have a coach, they have playbooks, pencil drawn playbooks from Paul Brown there and we view bank and I'm holding this stuff. It's like holding Shakespeare stuff. Yeah, and they're like, no, take it out, no big deals. So I mean to hold that stuff, to hold Paul Brown's playbooks that are pencil drawn, it just gives me chills just thinking about it right now. And there's not many people that but Miami has it and Miami wants Miami wants to let the world know that it's there. Yeah, And they have archives that John Pond. They have all kinds of stuff in these guys because they all a lot of them came back and lived there, John Pond, you know we we we went back and lived there for all these years. They have all his stuff and all these guys love Miami so much. They just donated everything to the Archives of King Library.
Speaker 1: So does all of this get edited squeezed into one episode? Is it a series? Are there ten parts? What are we looking what are we looking at? How to be presented?
Speaker 4: That's a great question. So it depends on who we sell it to.
Speaker 3: But it can kind of morph, right, So at this point we have thought about what does it look like if it's an episodic, it's a two episode series. You know, we don't have a big conflict hook. We have a hook, right, there is a hooks. So getting from episode one to episode two, you're gonna want to hang in there for episode two to hear what happens. But it could be a full feature documentary. But we have it right now set to you know, two episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put names into your mouths, but I mean, would in consideration be like, could this be Netflix, could it be HBO, could it be ESPN? All those potential platforms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're having some really great conversations, which is awesome. I think that there's a lot of great potential. I think that Cincinnati, we will be proud to know that this production company here, locally based Cincinnati. You know, we've been pulling from a team here in Cincinnati, is creating a documentary that could live on one of those platforms.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, speaking of leadership, every time we talk about a Netflix or a Hulu or NFL network whatever, they go, oh, well, some of Miami. Is it works there. I get to the count I'm like, okay, great, you know there's no roadblocks. Everybody is like, oh well there's somebody, somebody, some executive at NBC Sports works at Miami. We'll get you. We'll get your lunch with them. Great.
Speaker 1: I would think a cool part of this with the Resolve being locally based, this sounds like it's not going out and hiring freelancers from Boston, La, parts of the county. It's it's the core here that knows those the essence of everything you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we look, I mean we live this. You know I didn't. I didn't play for Molar or Saint X or whatever, but you know, we live Southwestern football.
Speaker 4: I am a ringer now.
Speaker 3: At trivia, right, but it's a specific trivia.
Speaker 2: We get what they're trying to do. We get what they're trying to do, you know, we understand. And and somebody came to them early on and said you should hire somebody local. And it got you know, because they could have easily went to LA or New York and said, hey, we're going to hire this company. They're going to do it all. It would have had no feel No, no, not at all. I didn't play high school football, but boy, I I feel like that. I we feel like that we were the right company to land this.
Speaker 3: We bleed Miami at this point, and I would say, I mean, you see me now, I'm wearing my Miami sweatshirt that has a Cradle of Coaches logo and amalonic by the way, my kids wear Miami gear.
Speaker 4: My kids are all about it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: They've been so kind to let them be on the sidelines. You know, Scott Thompson his kids the same way. I mean, we're kind of bleeding Miami at this point.
Speaker 4: And it's great.
Speaker 3: I mean we walk on campus and we get to talk and interact with the president, the marketing team, the ad David Saylor, they're all amazing, and they had been great about opening the doors for us, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: They're hit twenty seven. We can be up there in fifty eight minutes and no problem. But you know, if they would hire some of New York, it would have been a different feel. Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are we talking at some point then like a world premiere, a red carpets, spotlights, crossing and dignitaries dressed up and walking in all of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, there will be some VIP screenings. I'll be sure to slip and invite your way Lance. Yeah, but that's all should be happening, you know, within the next several months. Right, that's the exciting part. But well, we'll definitely keep you posted on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anything I thought? I came in fully prepared? Is there anything I've left out? Is there any nugget or note that you say, Oh, I wish you would have asked me about this.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that the connections the network, you know, it all started at this what we say as a relatively small school, but the network is so expansive. I mean, it was kind of surprising to me, is once you talk to one person in the NFL, they knew ten more people, and they all came from Miami University, which was so incredible to me. All these coaches, you're talking the Raiders, You're you're talking the Dolphins, the Jaguars, right, I mean, they're just they're they're kind of pop up everywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, you're talking about Pat and Rdoozy. We're at you know, University of Pittsburgh, walking through their facilities and they share facilities with the Steelers. We're walking through and we usually have Miami stuff on, and we've got just people walking in the hallway, love and love and honor, and we're like, well, you know, but I think it's expectations. I think if we were wearing Ohio State stuff, you would think that you'd get that Ohio thing because it's such a large school, has so many alumni. But we walked through him and we hear love and Hunter all here in the airport all the time. Right. Yeah. And we were interviewing Nardoozy at pitt and he was like one of my assistants went to Miami too, and he would love to be interviewed. We interviewed him. He was one of our best interviews we did for all.
Speaker 4: The ages in trailer.
Speaker 2: He's in the trailer. Yeah, and it was only because all because we had our Miami stuff on and those guys were like, I'll clear my schedule if it's from Miami. You got me. What do you need that doesn't happen. I've been working in twenty six years in this business. Used to do a lot of network stuff for ESPN NFL network. You get twenty minutes max with a coach they're giving us. The John Harbus sat down, he was like, I'm yours. However long we could sit here for three hours and talk about.
Speaker 3: Miami and he's sang the Fikes fights unprompted, unprompted. So that kind of content is actually really great and we have it on our Instagram channel.
Speaker 1: So final question. We're listening right now. If they want to see the trailer, follow with what's going on?
Speaker 2: How do they do it?
Speaker 3: If you search Cradle of Coaches and if you search Cradle of Coaches documentary you should find content. But there is an Instagram channel where you can get some exclusive behind the scenes pieces of content as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this was really cool. I wish we had more time and I can't wait till it comes out.
Speaker 4: Oh come back.
Speaker 1: I absolutely considered the invite extended Scott Jesse, great meeting you, congrats on this and best of luck wrapping it all up.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you take a time out of continue sports talk on a Tuesday night RNAL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevelle seven hundred ww