Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts is back at Dodgers Stadium as a manager with three World Series titles and now the fastest manager in modern baseball history to reach one thousand wins. Congratulations on the accomplishment, the milestone, and it must be great to come back to Dodger Stadium with a lot of wins on that road trip.
Speaker 2: It does seventy two road trip.
Speaker 1: You know, got their one thousand win on the road in Sacramento, and you know, for me, it was I'm not a big milestone guys, you know, but to hear the players and what they said was was really special.
Speaker 2: And that's what it's all about. And it's sort of.
Speaker 1: A you know, a collection an accomplishment from everyone, from so many people that supported me, for players.
Speaker 2: And it was just a good moment.
Speaker 4: You know, how to command a room, you know, how to command a clubhouse. What was it like for you to have the floor after that game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm used to kind of you know, being in clubhouse, but I do pick my spots.
Speaker 2: But talking about myself, that's hard.
Speaker 1: I love kind of being at the center and kind of lifting up players on certain things, so that that was a little bit different.
Speaker 2: But again, you know, Migey says.
Speaker 1: Some nice things, Freddy said some nice things, and so I did my little.
Speaker 2: Champagne tous about it.
Speaker 4: I thought one of the better things about having to play in Sacramento and you getting that milestone win as a manager was the fact that the clubhouse was all the way behind the center field wall, so you had to walk out after you did your interview and celebration and twelve thousand plus Dodger fans were saluting you on the way back. What was it like for you to have that walk in Sacramento with all those Dodger fans giving you that standing ovation.
Speaker 2: That was great.
Speaker 1: You know, we travel well and obviously you know where wherever we're at on the road, Dodger fans seemed to be there, and you know, Sacramento very intimate ballpark. I thought they did a great job having us there at Major League Baseball, you know, the athletics, all that stuff, and it was fourteen thousand people, but like you said, they seemed like twelve thousand.
Speaker 2: We're Dodger fans. So after the.
Speaker 1: Win to be there, you know, there's been still in the stands giving me applause.
Speaker 2: That was great. That was a touching moment for me.
Speaker 4: How many text messages did you have when you got back to your office?
Speaker 1: So I changed my number recently and I still had over like one hundred and fifties, So it was great. No, it's a lot of fun and it just speaks to you know, people are celebrating you and love to celebrate you, and that means a lot because at the end of the day, you want people to like you, respect you, and so you seek to run through those text messages.
Speaker 2: Was was NXE.
Speaker 4: You've had all deep connections with your teams over the last eleven years, but what is it about the last two years with these group of players that it seems like the connection is even deeper it.
Speaker 1: Has been, It's gone to another level these last couple of years. I think that over the course of eleven years, you know, you're continually trying to build trust, and obviously every year there's players that change in and out.
Speaker 2: But I do think that.
Speaker 1: These last couple of years, especially with Freddie, with Mookie in particular, the buying has been just unwavering, you know, and then you had Tao in you had Will Smith. I think that, you know, Months, he's been with me longer than anybody, and he's kind of seen this whole evolution. But I think right now and then also Mickey Row So I think for me it's like there's trust both ways. So it's just I'm having more fun than I've ever had managing the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Max Munsey, this is what Max Months he said about Dave Roberts just a couple of nights ago, where he said that he's been with you since twenty eighteen and you've helped him grow to be a better player, and.
Speaker 5: He said he's seeing you grow as a manager as well. What does it mean to you or something like that from a guy that you've been with since twenty eighteen and that you've helped.
Speaker 4: Propel his career to an all star level.
Speaker 1: He's right in the sense that we've both helped each other. You know, I've grown as a manager and I hope to continue to evolve and grow. And I think that I challenge him on certain things on the field off the field, and I think he's a better husband, a better father, a better ballplayer for it.
Speaker 2: We have a great relationship. I shoot him straight.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think I've certainly grown as a manager too, and he's been. I just really enjoy watching his development and I can't wait till he's named starter for in twenty six start.
Speaker 2: Game that'll be Saturday.
Speaker 4: Dave Roberts will be managing the National League team in Philadelphia. Congratulations on such an important milestone, because it's about wins, wins and losses. You already have distinguished yourself amongst some of the great Dodger managers when he bet to back championships and now getting to one thousand wins faster than any other manager in Major League modern day baseball history. Thanks a lot for the time. Congratulations, and we'll do this again after another thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it again, David. And we'll see one day at a time. But I love chatting with you, and thank you.