Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show by calling eight six six non eight seven two five seventy four hashtag.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk and now your host, David Maasse. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Basse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We got a great hour of Dodger Talk for you. Keicky Hernandez is going to join us in about forty minutes, but we are starting off, leading off the show with two of my favorite players from my favorite Dodger team, and that was the miracle nineteen eighty eight World champion Dodgers. Will you talk about these days the Dodgers being perceived as Goliath, Well, back in nineteen eighty eight, they were, David, and these two men were drafted a year apart by the Dodgers in the late seventies. I won't give away which year for both these guys out of respect to one of them, but these two guys have been for a long time in their baseball lives and have a never dying friendship to this day. They were huge parts of the Dodgers winning the nineteen eighty eight World Series and still keep tabs on the team and you can be up close and personal with them wearing their number nine and number fourteen, respectively. In January, at the Dodger Adult Fantasy Camp, there are still a few spots open. It's almost sold out, but you can be there with our guests Mike Soosha and Mickey Hatcher if you go to Dodgers dot com slash Fantasy Camps and they join us right now. Mike and Mickey, thank you so much for taking the time out. It's great to have you guys together.
Speaker 4: All right, David greenor are you going first, Mike or what?
Speaker 2: Well? Mickey?
Speaker 4: You they called you first, evidently, Mickey, so you go first.
Speaker 2: Hey, uh no, you're the manager. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So guys, maybe you could fill us in here. I mean this, this friendship did not end in nineteen ninety or nineteen ninety one or even you know, when you guys were done being together on the angels. How close are you to this day? And where does that come from? Mike?
Speaker 4: Well, we're yeah, we're close except when he beats my butt in the golf course and we're not that close. But you know what, David, it was a great time. I mean We still keep in touch with guys that we played with in the minor leagues coming up through the Dodge organization, and then that eighty eight team was so special. There's a bond there and you know, whether it was Oral or Kirk Gibson or or t Bone Shelby, everybody. I mean, we all keep in touch. And I think that's the bond that you get from playing on a championship team. And I've known Mickey, you know, you know, since nineteen seventy seven when he signed, so you know, we've been we've been together, Ron Rennicky, all of us. We're just we're good friends and we enjoy each other's company.
Speaker 3: Do you feel that way about Mike Mickey?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean we came up. We have many stories that uh, you know, we developed over the years and and the bond. But you know what the greatest thing was not only the players that we had an opportunity to be part of, It was Peter O'Malley and uh, you know, that friendship has still been really close from an owners to his players, and we still keep in touch a lot and and do lunches together. And I think that's that's a special part about being a Dodger.
Speaker 3: I know Mickey comes out to Dodger Stadium a lot. His wife, Patty, is a big time Dodger fan. I think Dodger fans would love to know from two great champions themselves, what you thought about this year's World Series. Hatch do you want to start? Since you really follow it and your wife has a great passion for it.
Speaker 2: Still, Oh yeah, definitely and car Mike Sosher remembers probably every play that happened from Game one to Game seven, but I can only remember a couple and you know, the game sometimes are won by inches, and uh, you know, it was just a great game to watch, going back and forth and just seeing uh, you know, Roberts just managed a great job in Game seven, especially with that defensive move and uh, you know, inches, the guy leading off one more foot on third base and the World Series goes to Toronto. So uh, it was an exciting game going back and forth, especially for the fans. I mean, uh, you know, uh, to me, I really, I really think it's going to go down as one of the Dodgers' best World series.
Speaker 3: Mike, when you were watching Game six and uh, it's the ninth inning, they're they're going to more starters. Tyler Glass now gets the first out on the first pitch. Uh, and you see Keith a Hernandez use his own baseball like you to shade in to be able to pull off that game endo double play. Just the sequence of events that took place to end game six in game seven is that? Have you ever seen World series games end that way?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, David, that was one of the most exciting series I think I've ever witnessed. When we were with the Angels, you know too, our seven game series with the Giants was so back and forth and we managed to you know, beat him in seven games. But not only was this the seventh game, the Dodgers going on the road and winning every game was back and forth, back and forth. And what I like about it was, I really feel the Dodgers stepped up and won the game. Toronto didn't hand them anything. The Dodgers had to make plays they did, They had to do things in the offensive end, and they you know, got some some incredible hits that you know, just just got them back into the game. And the home runs were exciting. So I think the way Mickey already talked about Dave Roberts. He did a terrific job. I think remolding that bullpen with a lot of the starters in Game seven was the only way they were could get that done, and they did it. And masasak or Yama mode I should say, did his best impersonation of or Horsheiser an Ada come out of the bullpen and getting you know, and saving the game. And that was what an exciting series.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mike, since you are and known as being a catcher, caught more games than anybody else in Dodger franchise history. In game seven, you know, one play where the Dodgers by an inch could have lost the World Series was with the infield in and the play at the plate bases loaded Isaiah Connor falefa just a hair behind the throw by Miguel Rojas to Will Smith, can you explain you know, that situation for a catcher and how maybe his foot could have slipped off?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Will Smith's incredible. I think as a catcher, you're told to put your foot right on the middle of the plate so as you do reach for the ball, your foot will stay on the plate. And I think he did, but the timing Rojas had kind of played in between hop he lost his balance a little bit, but he showed his great arm strength and threw a bullet home and Will stretch forward and just barely got, you know, the runner. And I think Mickey already said it. They're very passive at third base on their lead because they don't want they don't want to get you know, get you'll get a line drive double play. But there's a left handed hitter up and if that line drive is hit to the right side of the infield, you could be aggressive at third base and still get back. And and I think that's uh, you know, that's the little things that I think maybe get lost under you know, they get lost like water under the bridge. But if he if he had another two foot lead, then Mickey's right that the series goes to Toronto's favor, and but Will Will kept the slot of the plate. I think Rojas made a great play after he lost his balance, and the Dodgers jumped up and won the game. And I think that's what they can feel good about.
Speaker 3: That's the voice of Mike's Sooshia and Mickey Hatcher teammates World champions as the Dodgers, so won it back in nineteen eighty eight as David slaying Elias, slain the Mighty Mets and slaying the Oakland A's in five games, beating the Mets in seven games, and Mickey, you know Miguel Rojas hitting that home run in Game seven of the World Series with the Dodgers down to their final two outs. I'm not going to say it was exactly the same situation, but did it remind you of a guy in Shay Stadium keeping your season alive against the Mets and Dwight Gooden.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely. Sosia's home run was just amazing. And I'll tell you what, Rojas, that pitch was a pretty nasty pitch for him to pull and hit a home run, and you know it was just I kind of like Rojas's day. Man. That play second base was amazing and that home run and you can see it lifted the Dodgers. I mean it lifted their bench, It lifted everything for them. So that was that's going to be one of the most memorable home runs I think in that series.
Speaker 3: Mickey, you understand this. You were the leader of the Stuntman, a group of bench players in nineteen eighty eight. That if a guy got hurt all of a sudden, you had to be ready or coming off the bench to pinch it. You had an incredible World Series filling in for Kirk Gibson. You hit three sixty eight. Arguably, you know, if it wasn't for fifty five, could have been named the World Series MVP. But can you appreciate how tough it was for Rojas not to play for the entire World Series, get in in game six and have such a huge impact in the last two games. How do you do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I just think you know, it's like, you know, even when I was in the World Series, we had a bunch of guys we knew our career was coming to an end. This was our moment, and you just stay into the moment and you you take every advantage you can to that moment. I think the same thing with Rojas. You know, he knows he's coming to the end of the end of his career, and you know what, he wanted to be ready, and he wanted that one opportunity and he turned into be about a twenty five year old kid and that those two innings and it was just a great moment for him. So no matter how his his life goes on, or whether he's going to retire or whether he's going to try to keep playing. This is going to be remembered in his family and his life, and it's just a great feeling.
Speaker 3: Mickey Hatcher, you were on Mike's social's coaching staff with the two thousand and two Angels that found a way to come back so many times in that seven game win over the Giants and O two. Did this World Series remind you of that seven game World Series win by the Juice?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm telling you what we just Mike did a great job with those players and putting them together and from the start of the season teaching them what it took to win and and we had to do the little things just like the Dodgers had to do, uh to win this game. And uh, you know, it was just watching those guys go through get out there in game six. Uh you know when we were down and even when Dusty Baker went out to the mound to take the guy. Uh, I remember the pitcher's name out or te can see our players say we're going to win this game. We're going to win this game. And and I think sitting back as a coach and seeing your players still having that energy to want to win that game means a lot to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was Ramon Ortiz, right, Mike, Daddy, he took out.
Speaker 4: And Russ Russ Russe or teeth yeah, Russell t y yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: And do you remember the the feeling that you had before game seven? Could you as you're as you're watching game seven start in Toronto, do you have some of those same feelings that you had maybe managing game seven in two thousand and two, what Dave Roberts may be going through.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you're you're you're so busy, and it's good busy because you're getting uh, you know, you're getting everything together, you're getting your matchups, you're getting uh you know, you've already done all your scouting and everything and your pitcher and catcher should be on the same page. So you're ready for this game to start. I think that little anxiety like you're saying, let's get going, let's get going. Uh, you just want to you just want to get going and and and get get some momentum built and hopefully win a game. Uh. But but you know, you're you're you're still doing so much. David to prepare up until you know you take the field, and I think it just keeps you saying so you're not dwelling on things too much, but we uh, you know, the team. One of the things I really liked about the Dodger club. I mean you talked about Key k and being able to just use his experience. These guys played free, and I mean they didn't play with with with any burden or maybe if they if they missed a play or or if they were going to make a play. They played aggressively. Of defense, they played aggressively run the bases and in the batter's box. And that's the same thing, you know two with our club. Our club was very aggressive in every aspect of it. They didn't think about making mistakes. They thought about making plays. And I think that's when it comes down to crunch time and everyone's going to point to a lot of the things that happened in that game. The Dodgers made plays. And I think what you're alluded to with Kay Hernandez in left field, he knew when he caught that ball exactly where he was throwing it. Rowhouse made a great pick, doubled off the runner, and games over so I think that had a lot to do with why they you know, why they played so well.
Speaker 3: Mike Soosie and Mickey Hatcher are joining us on Dodger Talk. I want to go back to when you guys were on the same staff, Mike the manager, Mickey the hitting coach, because this year when the Dodgers played the Angels, I was privy to a conversation of Dino Ebel and Tim Salmon praising Mike Soosha and Mickey Hatcher just about the message you guys sent, the tone, especially Mike at the beginning of the season where you needed team at bats, whether it was Albert Pooholz, Mike Trout, Tim Salmon, Garret Anderson, Mickey, do you remember those type of meetings that Mike would have and did you see some of those team at bats from guys like Otani and Freeman that reminded you of the message you guys had.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we had an opportunity to go in there and see the players that get and have you know a year under our bell watching these guys play. And I remember in the offseason, Mike before spring training says, we got to get these guys together. They don't know how to win, and and he proceeded with the game plan of you know, we've got to move runners. The worst scenario, we got a runner on second base, we got to get him to third. We got to score them. Uh, we got to move runners over. You know, we've we've got to play that type of game. Uh, knowing to use the big part of the field in those situations and and not just give away in at bat, Uh give yourself an attempt to get a hit, but get the job done. And Uh, in spring training, these guys started doing it. We said, hey, these bats don't count. Uh. You know, Mike had the meeting and he said, I applied it as a hitting coach and said, hey, we're going in the spring training these have bats don't count. But this is what we're going and and uh, he's got to start doing it. And you know, here guys moving a runner to third base for the other guy to get an RBI. You see him start giving knuckles and uh, they got really into it. And it was amazing. And when we started the season, we probably had the worst record the starting the season. What was our record, Mike.
Speaker 4: When we were like this season fourteen, Yeah, we were struggling like, yeah, fourteen. And then the guys they kept doing it. Yeah, yeah, they kept doing it. You know, Mickey remember with Troy Glass, it was funny. We're talking about moving runners, a guy on second and Troy saying. Troy says, he goes, Mike, I can't hit a ground ball a second, I said, And Mickey goes, Troy, we're not asking. We don't want you hit a ground ball a second. If we're on the other team and hit her like you hit the ground ball to second with a guy on second, We're saying, thank you. We want you knock down the centerfield wall. We want you hit the ball left center. Centerfield us a big part of the field. And he exhaled. He goes, oh, thank you, okay, I can do that. And uh and Tim sabon, Tim Savon and spring training and the guy was on second base and uh, and he hit a ball off the batter's eye in center field. And he came back and he goes, should I apologize? I said, heck no, you shouldn't apologize. I said, it is a big part of the field. If you had it out of the ballpark, it's a beautiful thing. I said that. You know that that's what we're talking about. But you know, the big thing was these guys. These guys, they they understood it, and they played great baseball, and they really blended with great base running, situational hitting, and plus when we look about you talk about the middle of the lineup, and you had you know, Ga and Tim Salmon and Gloss and her stat up at hitting second and ex Stein leading off. These guys fed the whole lineup and and and it was really a it was really a lineup that was I think, very underrated. But these guys are one of the top lineups in baseball for a number of years, and they showed it in O two.
Speaker 3: Do you guys still believe if you were on the same staff, with the way the game has been played the last ten something years, do you think players would still be open to Mike's Oshi and Mickey Hatcher saying, hey, I need twenty five team at bats the entire year. I need twenty five team at bats. Do you feel like that would still be in play today?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, there's some different philosophies out like strikeouts another out which I don't know what Moron came up with that line. A strikeout is not just another out. But I think what I think, I think what's important is you know, like like I say, you talk to Darren Nurseat, who was a great team player. Anyway, he would do it anyway he's gonna get he's gonna go over six hundred plate appearances. And we were talking to these guys, So you guys are gonna get six hundred plate appearances if you don't have the twenty five team at bats that we're talking about to where you get two strikes, you know, you got to shorten it up and pull the ball in the ground if you're a stat or ga to get a guy from from second to third, you know, and and two strikes, shorten it up and maybe hit that sack fly instead of and take the RBI. But you're not trying to hit home run, then that's on you. And I think as you communicate with these guys, and I think you know, there's a there's a lot of baseball players understand that part of it. There's a lot of guys that are not going to strike down those situations. And I think that that those are the guys that stand out and you just know they're going to help their team win. And as I said, you're gonna get six hundred plate appearances for most of the player apparenties. You're free to swing and do whatever you want, but that team at bat comes and it presents itself to you.
Speaker 2: We need it.
Speaker 4: And I think I think, guys, you know, I think ball players now would would rally around that and would embrace that also.
Speaker 3: Do you remember those those talks, Mickey, And do you believe that in today's game that players would accept that as well? And did you see it from the Dodgers in twenty five?
Speaker 2: You start seeing it on more teams now, you really do. You start seeing a little bit more bunning. You start seeing it, But you know, it's like Mike says, I mean, come on, a two strike approach. You know, that's when you got to like get up there and battle with that picture. And it's just a swing and misses that are are just amazing to me, especially on pitches that are right there with two strikes. And you know that was Mike's biggest biggest thing was, Hey, come on, guys, two strikes, you know, maybe come off the knob. We've we've got to battle up there. We've got to put that ball in play. And uh, you know, strikeouts, that's just an easy out for anything you put a ball in play, they can make an air, they can throw it away, they can there's a lot of scenarios that could happen, you know, that can't happen if you're slinging miss.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts is actually one of the managers that are active today that actually echoes what you guys have said.
Speaker 4: Well, I know Dave, I know he was that type player, and he understands it. I think you see players, I mean you see Will Smith choking up and putting the ball play in some of the situations. You know, Freddie Freeman, I mean, these guys are professional hitters. Even you know Show Hey, he he's got such an a great idea of what to do in a batter's box. MOOKI, you know, MOOKI bet same way. Mickey and I were contact hitter. So we had a guy on third base and less than two outs, and if we struck out, which you know sometimes it happens, sometimes you just get beat. We you know, we were we were upset with ourselves. We were more upset because we knew what was waiting for us in the dugout from tom of the sword as we're walking back and you walking back to the dougout and you can see you can see Tommy turning purple like like just saying, what's the ball in play? What are you doing? And you know that was that was the worst part of you know, the worst part about striking out in the situation like that.
Speaker 3: All right, before I let you guys go, you're not answering this question, Mike, this is only for Mickey Hatcher. Mickey Hatcher. Okay, there was a manager with the Angels manage one team for nineteen years, had unprecedented success. For those nineteen he won more games than any other Angels manager in the history of that franchise, sixteen hundred and fifty wins, won the only World Series in Angels franchise history. Don't you believe that guy should be in the Hall of Fame as a manager, And don't you believe number fourteen should be retired in Anaheim?
Speaker 2: Mickey, Oh, I do you know one thing that you and you can hear how Mike speaks, and you know he can remember a pitch forty years ago, what this guy did and whatever. But he's always had a passion for the game and he's always wanted to win. You know, there's you know, I don't care if you give him the worst team in baseball. He's going to make him learn how to win. And I think that that was his passion as a manager. But the players really respect him. He has that. You know, he's able to bring him in the office and have the one on one uh, you know, like like he's like their father. And that's why I think you hear like the Salmon's and the Erstes and all those kind of guys. Uh, just how much passion they had for Mike as a manager. I mean, their career was probably one of the differences in that they've ever had being playing baseball. And they'll tell you that, and uh, you know, I think it's going to happen for Mike.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But I think in baseball, uh, he's well known. You go to an event and all these players from different teams or whatever, they want to go and and talk to Mike and and and listen to his uh philosophies and stuff like that, and uh, you know, he just has a passion and uh, and that's going to take him a long ways.
Speaker 4: And I do, But can I answer that question?
Speaker 3: No, no, because I know it you Mike, just shut up.
Speaker 2: That was my turn.
Speaker 4: Let me just say this real quick. I know you got to cut us off, but real quick, I want to say this. You know, this game's about playing it. This game isn't about coaching and managing it. When you're in the backyard with your brother and you're playing up just you know, you're just playing baseball with him, and you're making up situations. You're the one up at bat with three two bases loaded, and you hit the home run to win the game like Freddie Freeman did or Kirk Gibson did, and and you know you're the one that hits it. You're not the one managing and putting guys in. So for me and I know Micky the same way, we loved playing the game, and we love playing the game for the Dodgers. Uh. And that's a special feeling of of of of playing the game that you can take with you now. We like coaching, I love managing, but it doesn't compare to playing the game. And that's where our hearts are is really as ballplayers, and in particular with the Dodgers, we had great experience and fortunately you know one won some championships there and that's what we'll we'll take for over with us, and that means what means the most to me.
Speaker 3: That's why you're special. Okay, if you're if you're a player, you love the player. I want you in the legends of Dodger Baseball. I want you wearing a blue coat one day. And I would love to have as many stunt men put in as legends of Dodger Baseball as well. Just the group of the stuntmen and Mike Sosha, how about that.
Speaker 4: I like the stumpman getting in because those guys, those guys were huge for us in eighty eight. And all the pieces fit. And you know, you said one time that we might have been the you know, David, you say we might have been the worst World Series team, Dodger team.
Speaker 3: I did not say that. Bob Costa said it.
Speaker 4: I don't care what Bob Costas does. You repeated it, and let me tell you what the pieces fit. We were a great team that had a tremendous pitching staff, great bullpen, and players like the stunt men that played free, they played loose, they did whatever whatever the situation was that Tommy wanted to do. He could do because we all had the back control to do it. And going down the whole lineup, we would get bunts down. We could hit and run. We put the ball in play with two strikes, and once in a while you hit the ball good and went out of the park. And I think that as you talk about the stuntman in that group with Mickey and and and uh Rick Dempsey and and Danny Heap and Dave Anderson. I know I'm leaving missing somebody, Mickey, but you guys, you guys were so important does not only during the season, but in the playoffs. And and and uh and and we were. We were a terrific team in eighty eight. Very underrated as to the talent on the team and how it worked and how we played. And I just don't like you, David, saying we're one of the worst championships dot your teams on paper. I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I never said that.
Speaker 4: I said, how.
Speaker 2: Many wins, Mike, we had ninety how many wins?
Speaker 4: Ninety something wins?
Speaker 3: You were I feel like, yes, ninety four great wins. You guys were, David. The Mets were Goliath, the A's were Goliath. Nobody thought you guys could beat them. You know, I was getting phone calls as a ten year old by adults just like you know, mocking my Dodgers at that point in time, and I said, you just wait, this team can do it. So it wasn't a slight to call you David. David's a great name, yea, a great biblical reference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're trying to worm yourself out of that one.
Speaker 3: As always, that's what I do. I just punch my way out of the corner. Hey, you know, I might sign up for this fantasy camp just so I could be there, maybe to be managed or coached by Mickey Hatcher and Mike Soosha. How about that.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. I can only picture you at a baseball uniform running around, and I'm about to start laughing right now.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll wear number nine one day and number fourteen another day. How about that?
Speaker 4: You're if you're playing defense, you better have shing guards on, wear a batting helmet out there in the field, and have a double cup on. Because I don't know what's going to happen you, David.
Speaker 3: You guys, I will say this, and I don't care what my wife thinks. Nineteen eighty eight was the greatest year of my life. To this day, I will say that flat out. You guys brought baseball to life for so many of us and made so many of us young people in Los Angeles in nineteen eighty eight fall in love with the Dodgers and fall in love with the game of baseball. And you guys were two huge parts of the Dodgers, and you guys, as long as I'm doing this, nobody will forget the eighty eight Dodgers as great as you were. And nobody will forget Mike's osha and Mickey Hatcher and the rest of you guys.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, David. It was a special year for all of us, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, Mike, can't wait to come over me and Mickey? What time do you want us over for Christmas? We look forward to it.
Speaker 4: We celebig Christmas on the twenty six So come on over there.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Okay, bye, all right, fue.
Speaker 3: There they go, Mickey Hatcher and Mike's soosha. That was awesome. That was definitely a bucket list. It's one thing to interview one of them, but both of them together. Uh, just spectacular. We're gonna take a break when we come back your phone calls, and also we'll get to my conversation with Keike Hernandez coming up from this past Saturday at the Polo Ralph Lauren store. They treated us great, trust us great, and I can't wait to share keyk with you as well. Mike Soosha, Micky Hatcher, Forever, Dodgers don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk around the corner thanks again to Mike's Sooshia and Mickey Hatcher taking time out of the busy holiday season to join us on Dodger Talk. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. That certainly was a bucket list thing for me. I mean, those guys were larger than life. When I was growing up in the San Fernando Valley and loving the Dodgers, that nineteen eighty eight team was so special, and I love that they still have that competitive spirit where they don't like being called the weakest team or the most unexpected team to win the World Series. But I always feel like those East Coasters give the sixty nine Mets a little too much shine. The eighty eight Dodgers were just as much of a Cinderella. Nobody picked them team, but they did have the MVP and the saw Young on the same team that year, and that was Kirk Gibson and Oral Hersheisers, So they did have talent more than what they were giving credit for. Steve Sachs was their second basement and leadoff hitter Mike Soosha, who eventually caught more games than any other Dodger in history, was part of it. Hersheiser, Tim Leary, Tim Belcher, to name a few, and Jay Howell closing. Just a great team. And if you don't know about the eighty eight Dodgers, sports net LA did a great piece on the eighty eight Dodgers a few years back. You can fight it, I'm sure online. And if you listen to this show, you know how much the eighty eight Dodgers mean to me. And I just thought it was interesting to hear two Dodger World Series champions, you know, thirty plus years later, give their thoughts on what they saw this year in the Dodgers twenty twenty five World Series Championship. It's great to get that type of perspective. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five, seventy is the phone number if you want to talk about what Mike's oshi Mickey Hatchers said about the World Series. If you want to get into the hot stove, we can do that as well. Really kind of quiet right now. I don't expect any big splashes from the Dodgers until maybe the new year. I mean, there's obviously talks going on, but we're getting closer to Christmas and it feels like the Tigers are still in limbo about whether or not they want to trade Trek's Schooble. If they do want to trade Trek schoobl the Dodgers seem to be the most obvious destination because the Dodgers have the young pitching and players that are major league ready to try to get the Tigers to be competitive in the Al Central even without Schooble. So that's where things stand. And coming up in about seven minutes, we'll hear from Keith Hernandez. We had a great time this past Saturday at the Citadel and Commerce in front of the Polo Ralph Lauren store. They were such gracious hosts. They went above and beyond, and Keik was taking pictures with fans seemingly for two hours, but they cut it off after an hour. He was like Santa Claus in front of the polo Ralph Lauren Storre. So thank you to everybody that took care of us, especially Christina Choi, who is so cool. Let's go out to New Jersey, Sam Dodger talk, how you doing? Sam David?
Speaker 5: I cannot believe I was speaking to the legend right now.
Speaker 3: Now, I was talking to two legends. You're just talking to me.
Speaker 2: Ha ha.
Speaker 5: So I actually have three questions for you, Bill. Let me know how many time you could got to. My first question is a hot though question, which is how likely do you think it would be for the Dodgers to sign Boba Shot and move Mookie to the outfield or let's say Sonia Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 3: I don't believe Mookie Betts is going back to right field. He's the Dodgers shortstop. They have said that already. If the Dodgers do, here's the challenge with signing Bob Bashett, and I am all in on signing Bob Bashett because I believe he could be the Dodgers' third baseman in twenty twenty seven and beyond, a guy that could be versatile to play third and second base this year, But how does it fit? How will it fit with Max s Munsey at third base, who is still one of the best playoff performers that Dodgers have, and we saw how much the Dodgers missed him when he was out of the lineup. But Tommy Edmond's hurt, he's not going to start the season or he's going to be delayed. Key K Hernandez can't play untill June. You got an unproven has Song Kim. So I feel like bo Bishett fits at second base, But what do you do when Edmund comes back and key K comes back? So I'm all in with Bishett, and I don't you know, I would be surprised maximunths he played more than one hundred and twenty games this year considering some of the injuries he's had the last few years. So I just think he fits really well. But how does he fit in twenty twenty six? That's the tough part.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 5: And my next question for you is being that I live in New Jersey. I am harassed NonStop. I met Send, especially now because the Dodgers just signed Edwin Diaz, as well as Yankee fans who tell me that the Dodgers are ruining baseball. David watching my response to based as such a thing, say.
Speaker 3: The Mets are spending a lot of money, but just not spending it the right way. The Padres, We're spending a lot of money and their windows seemingly has closed. I mean they you know, there's other teams that spent a lot of money that just haven't been able to take down the Dodgers. So you know, Mets fans, you know, cannot throw rocks from a glass house.
Speaker 5: And what about the deferments.
Speaker 3: It's part, it's part of the game. It's not it's not not allowed. They're just they're just five steps ahead of everybody else.
Speaker 5: Wow, couldn't have said a better myself. And David, the last question for you is more about the league in general, which is do you think the Anthony Rendon Angels contract is the worst contract in baseball history?
Speaker 3: It's right up there, yeah it is. I mean, how many has he even played? One hundred and sixty two games for the Angels And you know what, I don't know. Thank goodness, he didn't want that la lifestyle because the Dodgers talk to him as well. So very happy he chose Anaheim right.
Speaker 5: Speaking of spending money in the right places, that's an example of where you're shutting spend your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes the best trades you make are the best signings you make are the ones you don't. And look that was they dodged the bullet right there, and nobody's thinking about Anthony Rendon after back to back World Series championships. Thanks for the phone call, Sam, appreciate it. You can listen to Dodger Talk like Sam on the iHeartRadio app. You could follow me on ex at the Real Underscore DV and somebody sent me a message. Mike Sooshia and Mickey Hatcher were like Keik a Hernandez and Will Smith. That's a pretty good comparison. Although Will Smith is a little bit better of a hitter than Mike Sooshia was in some ways well he was, but certainly two Dodger catchers that have had two of the biggest clutch home runs and Dodger history, obviously Will's go ahead home run in the eleventh inning of Games seven of this year's World Series and Mike Sosia's home run off of Dwight Gooden to tie Game four at Shay Stadium save the Dodgers from going down three games to one to the Mets in the NLCS in nineteen eighty eight. They would eventually beat the Mets in seven games in eighty eight. So if I had people ask me all the time, what are your top five Dodger postseason home runs? And you know, obviously Kirk Gibson and Freddie Freeman's home runs all right at the top. But Will Smith's home run this year in the eleventh inning has got to be right there. Mike Sosiaz in the eighty eight NLCS right there. Justin Turners walk off home run in Game two of the seventeen NLCS right up there, Miguel Rojas, I mean, two outs to go and he hits that game tying home run. So you know, both Freeman walk off home runs and those others are are at the top of my list, a long way with our very own Rick Monday's home run in Game five of the eighty one NLCS eight six six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Just to alert you schedule alert Dodger Talk again tomorrow night at seven o'clock. River Ryan is going to join us tomorrow night and Petro some Moneys show on Thursday. In case you missed, it is only two hours now at the BJ's. What city is it in, Ronnie, I forgot what city it's in.
Speaker 2: In West Covina.
Speaker 3: That's right, BJ's in West Covina two to four o'clock on Thursday. Dodger Talk tomorrow night at seven o'clock and when we continue here on Dodger Talk, Keik Hernandez will join us. Don't go anywhere. We're with you until eight o'clock right here on a five seventy LA Sports. Happy holidays to all of you. I know Hanukah started yesterday. Happy Honikah to all of you, and Merry Christmas and happy New Year. Tonight and tomorrow our last two shows of Dodger Talk before the New Year. We'll be back with you the second week of January unless there is breaking Dodger news, and if that's the case, then we will be back with you. So always on standby no matter what's going on. You never know what. Andrew Friedman has up his sleeves, so you know, he may be lighting the mania right now, he might be opening presents. But hey, if the phone rings and there's a big time agent or Scott Harris from the Detroit Tigers on the other line. You know he's picking that up. So look, the Dodgers aren't done. They're gonna keep big game hunting because that's what they do, and then be able to fill out the bench and the depth of their forty man roster like they've been known to do over the course of the last decade or so. Thanks again to Mickey Hatcher and Mike Sosha. Appreciate them coming on. And there are a couple of spots left for the Dodgers Adult Fantasy Camp, which is taking place at camel Back Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. You get to live like a big leaguer. Go to Dodgers dot com slash fantasy camps to sign up, and Mike and Mickey are the life of the party. From what I understand in our guy Steve Sachs and Steve Garvey are out there as well Eric Carros. So you get to rub elbows with some of the great Dodgers and have your own uniform and play some games and have some fun. It's a great time. Key k Hernandez will not be out there. You know, one day I could see Key k being part of these fantasy camps and it will be a party, that's for sure. It was a party on Saturday at the Polo Ralph Lorenz store in Citadel, at the Citadel in Commerce, at the Citadel Outlet stores, and had a chance to talk to Key K for the first time since the parade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 6: Last night was a blast, and I'm hoping that today is as fun as it was last night.
Speaker 1: But I'm just happy to be here.
Speaker 6: Anytime I gonna be in La with some Doctor fans, it's always a good time. And like always, thank you guys, thanks for the love.
Speaker 3: What's it like to be as beloved as you are in this city? I mean, these people showed out for you wherever you go. It seems like there's always a big following, a big group of fans.
Speaker 6: It's overwhelming at times, but it's truly appreciated. It's very humbling to h to know that I'm supported and loved as much as I am here in this city so far away from my home in Puerto Rico. But you know that love always goes back to them. And it's been nine years on this team, and it's been the best nine years of my life.
Speaker 3: Back to back World Series champions. It happens so quickly. What's it been like for you since the parade? Just soaking in what you guys were able to accomplish.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I had surgery, so I didn't have much time to think about it.
Speaker 1: But the only thing that you know it comes to your minus. Let's do it again, simple.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 3: Pete has a nice ring to it.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, I think that's trademark. So we can't do it. But I like to go back to back to back.
Speaker 3: Have you watched any of the highlights of Game six or Game seven? The play specifically that you made to end Game six.
Speaker 6: I watched it a few times, But the one that's always everywhere is when Pis almost killed me. So I've watched that one a few times.
Speaker 3: And when you see it from that angle, you were involved in it. From what I understand, did you believe the ball fell? And when you watch it, do you still think the ball is going the drop before the play is completed?
Speaker 6: Uh No, when I think about it now, when I look at it as one, I still think I could have caught it.
Speaker 1: Two. I don't know why he jumped, but I'm just glad he caught it. That's that's it.
Speaker 3: Is it true that you you thought the ball dropped and you thought you lost the World Series before he let you know what happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I mean I was I had my back towards the field and then I was stopping slowing down to get you know, I was basically underneath the baseball, and last thing I thought was gonna.
Speaker 1: Happen was somebody who's gonna run me over.
Speaker 6: And as soon as he ran me over, I just I thought there's no way he was going to catch it.
Speaker 1: You know, I was underneath the ball and he ran me over. So we lost.
Speaker 6: And as I'm on the ground, I'm just thinking, I just we just lost the World Series and I'm laying.
Speaker 1: On the ground.
Speaker 6: That's going to be replayed forever, and it's still being replayed forever.
Speaker 1: But for the other reason.
Speaker 3: No doubt, everybody's very happy Andy pa has was able to run you over and catch it. When you look back at what a close teammate of yours, Yoshiyama Mota, was able to do, we think back to you taking him out after one of the Padres games in the DS last year. Whatever you said obviously worked, not only last October, but the entire season. How proud are you of Yamamoto and the warrior that he was for you guys this year?
Speaker 1: Really proud.
Speaker 6: Obviously, if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have won the World Series. But you know, basically our conversation went, it was just basically telling him, man, I think you're the best picture in the world.
Speaker 1: Just go out there and show people who you are. And he's done nothing but that.
Speaker 6: And for him to you know, go two complete games and a back to back starts and then not only win Game six, but then take them mount the very next day on no short rent, no no day's rest, and not only that, but to throw them the most outs out of any of our pitchers that night was incredible. He truly put a Superman cape on and he delivered.
Speaker 3: Is it fair to say going back to last year, you may have believed he was capable of doing what he did more than maybe he was before having that conversation.
Speaker 6: Potentially, And that's why I, you know, decided to take him outside of you know, a team environment, with without a team translator and all that, and.
Speaker 1: I basically just wanted him to believe what I believed in him, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Sure he's never really lacked confidence, but at times, you know, being in a different country and and you can I've been on that mound, even though I'm not a pitcher.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's the loneliest feeling in the world.
Speaker 6: So I just wanted him to know that, you know, we us your teammates, we believe in you.
Speaker 1: We we think you're the greatest.
Speaker 6: And then you know we're we're right behind you, supporting you.
Speaker 1: And you know, he was able to relax a little bit.
Speaker 6: And deliver that Game five against the Padres, pitched really well. Game three against the Mets, did the same thing again in Game two against the Yankees, and then obviously the rest of his history. He had an unbelievable season, and like I said, he was super human in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So is Kei K.
Speaker 3: A Hernandez, who is as club as they come. In the month of October, the Dodgers yesterday made it official, signing a fellow Puerto Rican, Edwin Diaz. Everybody's so excited about Timmy Trumpet. Does anybody have Timmy Trumpet on their phone?
Speaker 1: Yet?
Speaker 3: I know my son's playing it every time he goes to school. I find it hard to believe that Edwin Diaz leaving the Mets after all these years. Never called Keith a Hernandez. He actually said that he tapped into about how they treat families with the Dodgers. But how much did you play into recruiting Edwin Diaz?
Speaker 6: I played a little bit of a part, you know. I called Andrew and I let him know that, you know, the interest was legit, that the Dodgers were not just leverage, and you know that we had a real opportunity of going after this guy and getting this guy, uh, in my mind, the best closer in baseball right now.
Speaker 1: And you know, once I knew that the negotiations.
Speaker 6: Were getting real, I reached out to Sugar and I let him know that, you know, you, at the end of the day, you gotta do what's best for you and your family. But the one thing that I can assure you is that if you end up with the Dodgers, you're not gonna regret it one bit. You're gonna be just fine. Your wife and kids are going to be just fine. I told them. The worst thing about the Dodgers organization is that they're so far away from Puerto Rico, and if that's if that's the only thing that's bad about an organization, you know, you're in pretty good hands. And I just let them know, man like you come here, you know you're gonna have a chance to win year in, year out. And I think that this is the peak of baseball. And as far as an organization, I think this. You know, we play in the big leagues and the way that the Dodgers treat their people is the way that should be everywhere, but unfortunately it's not. And lucky for us we get to experience that, you know, for one hundred and sixty two games plus. And I just let him know anything you need any you know, your wife can reach out to my wife.
Speaker 1: Asks any questions that you need to ask, if.
Speaker 6: You have any doubt, no matter, it doesn't really matter, it doesn't have to be baseball, gonna be apartments.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is, just reach out. Feel free to reach out.
Speaker 6: And next time I heard from him was after I congratulate him for signing.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful. Key k Hernandez in the bond of Puerto Rico is so strong, even though Puerto Rico is so far away from La Key k Hernandez is locker. I expect to be very close to Edwin Diaz. Don't we need Key k Hernandez underneath the Dodgers Christmas tree again? We need keyk Hernandez back for a three p don't we. It feels like it's it's not a matter of if, but just when? Does it feel that way to you?
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, but of course I just had surgery and I'm not gonna be ready for opening days, so there's no rush.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: If it ends up working our way and we come back to La, all that matters is that I'm ready for the second half and ready to do my thing in October.
Speaker 3: Love it and the fans want you here in LA for the full season, not just the second half of the year. We're here at the Polo Ralph Lauren store at the Citadel and Commerce. They had fitted Key k with some new swag myself and me too. So the last time you saw Keky and I together, he was talking about my nipples coming through my shirt. What do you think about this sweater? Does it hide the nipples?
Speaker 1: Still a little hard, but not as hard as they were that night?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, that's the way we ended it out there at the Polo Ralph Lauren store and sit at the Citadel in Commerce. Don't go there now. That was Saturday. We had a great time and uh Kei k really enjoyed being there at the Polo Ralph Lauren store, meeting all of you, taking photos. A lot of families got their Christmas card pictures with keik I saw a whole softball team come out and take a picture with keik So, one of the more most popular Dodgers on this back to back World series team and going back to his time when he first started in twenty fifteen. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. In case you missed our great conversation with Mike Sooshi and Micky Hatcher, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We'll be back with you tomorrow night at seven o'clock. River Ryan is going to join us. I promise he won't leave his phone at home. Ronnie Fossio, thank you for your help and thank you for listening. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven Sea