Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. It's the Dodgers and Padres. That's enough said right there, and we're with three time World Series winning manager Dave Roberts in the office. Dave, thanks a lot for the time, and this is going to be exciting.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun. You know, these guys obviously a lot of talent over there, and geography lends yourself to a rivalry. Certainly their play, our play lends yourself to a rivalry in the last handful of years. So it's gonna be a fun, hopefully not too eventful series, but it's gonna be good baseball.
Speaker 1: You were asked yesterday whether or not the Padres being as good as they've been has helped push you guys during the regular season. Do you feel like every great team needs that. The Yankees had the Red Sox over the course of their time. Do you feel like the Padres are that for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if you look at recent history, yes, you know, you know, you're talking about rivalries and what fans, what media look towards, and yeah, I do think that good teams make you better, and so you know, not even close to comparing it to the Lakers Celtics. But when you have a team that is a rival, a nemesis, whatever you want to kind of say, it does bring out the best in you.
Speaker 1: Do you get excited for these type of series?
Speaker 2: I do. I do, but you know, I also try to manage my emotions a little bit more going into it. It always hasn't played out on the field, but I think that I know that the intensity is going to be there organically, so I try not to get too hyped up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dave Roberts has survey what seven padres managers over the course of your time managing the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, you know, but they still got their core of you know, their position players. But there's been some turnover over there and now new ownership. But it's a fun place to come play a ball game, certainly if you're the Dodgers, and you know, they do everything they can to kind of keep our fans from attending down here because it is and has been pet Coo South or Dodger Stadium South, but we still get represented pretty well down here.
Speaker 1: What's it like for Dave Roberts in your neighborhood I know whenever the Padres are that one time the Padres beat the Dodgers in the postseason, you would get stop walking your dog? Do you do you get left alone these days?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's dissipated recently, which is great for me. It's it's tough living down here in the offseason, and I take my fair share of riving, but it's quieted down, which is a good thing for me.
Speaker 1: Five game winning streak. You guys have scored forty runs during that those five wins. What stood out to you the most about your offense during this swinning streak?
Speaker 2: I think at bad quality and I know I say that a lot and just kind of really it's it really is, you know, the idea of really swinging to strikes, moving the ball forward when you get that opportunity ending the at bat taking balls. You know, there's a lot of counts, pitches in counts that you know, it goes from a three to one count if you take a ball at ball versus swing at it and it's two to two count, and people remember the final you know, pitch of the at bat, but there's a lot of pitches in between that matter just as much. And so I think for me an Angel series, I thought that we valued every pitch within the at bat more and the walks will result and just again earning counts. You know, you don't get to three to one, three to zero. You earn those counts and then make the pitch have to come to you. So that's for me, that mindset was better this last series.
Speaker 1: When you say that where you have to earn counts, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that you do that by not being stubborn in your zone. You know, when it's a one oh pitch that's just off a breaking ball and you take it, you've earned that one oh count instead of swinging at it hyper aggressively to then being an o one count. You know, when it's a one to one pitch and it's a slider down in a way and you take it, you've earned that two to one count, you know, And you saw even in the Angels series there were some two oh sliders that they threw us and we got into two to one counts by swinging. But if we would have taken that slider off, we'd have earned a three to zero count. So I think that for me, I liked the idea of earning something, and if you put it in that mindset within your at bat, I think it's more motivating.
Speaker 1: Does that create some accountability amongst the players themselves?
Speaker 2: I think so. And I also think that what it does is that it puts it into context for the player that you know, good counts don't just happen. You've got to put in your work or as I've just said, you've got to earn those counts.
Speaker 1: You were a leadoff hitter, a very much different style of a leadoff hitter than sho Heyo Tani. But how much does he make your offense go?
Speaker 2: He really makes it go. You can this last series what he did because when he's touching it, when he's moving it forward, he's slugging. You know, he hasn't home it in a while, but he did back home. But the doubles or the inside the park homer, I'm sorry, yeah, he had the inside the park homer, But the doubles and the walks and then the stolen bases, and you know, guys just feed off of his energy. And if you look back at that last series against Angels, again, he did a good job of earning good counts.
Speaker 1: How much have you toyed with the idea in your own office, just jotting down lineups about Mookie, Bets and Otani. Any consideration for Mookie going back in the leadofs Spot whenever you decide that show Hey needs a blow.
Speaker 2: I've thought about it. I think that you know what happens there is you start kind of understand you have to start to appreciate how it also looks after that. You know, if Mooki being a right hand hitter, then show Hayes the number two, then you got to figure out who's the three hitter, And do you want to go back to back lefties with Freddie? And then do I want to push Kyle Tucker into the five or the six? And don't want to have months he hits seventh. I don't. And so there's a lot of factors that come into Oh, Mookie just hit second and everything's the same. It's just there's more that goes into it.
Speaker 1: How much do you think about those type of things?
Speaker 2: I think about him a lot, you know, I do think about you know, corresponding moves, alternatives and you know, guys and not trying to be reactionary on certain guys performance, and you know, we weren't scoring runs. So then now it's not because show Hay's hitting in the one, Mookie's not hitting inning in the two. That's not the reason and until it is the reason. So for me, I like more of a sample.
Speaker 1: Size before I let you go Yamamoto on the mound for you tonight. He's acknowledged the fact that he's got to be better in the first inning of games and to limit home runs. How do you feel like he's going to adjust to eliminate those issues.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he made a point last start to be better than the first inning, which he was. I think what got him last start the eight nine hitters hitting three homers.
Speaker 1: So you know you really remember that right away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. Those those don't feel good. He's our staffes and so he's always going to try to search to be better. So yeah, the first thing is important. But typically for starting pitchers, that first inning to kind of get their bearings on the game is typically the toughest. As you see a Major League scoreboard every night, it's usually one nothing or team scores in the first in. Because of that reason, I think for me, it's the last four haven't been Yoshinobu s, but I expect a good one tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, Dave, thanks a lot for the time. We're all excited for this series, but more excited about the way the Dodgers are starting to look like themselves again. Thanks a lot for the time and always great to catch up with you.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Dave. Talk to you next week.