Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. The Dodgers kicking off a six game road trip, and we're joined right now by the manager. Our Managers meeting brought to you by Downy Hunday, and that's the one and only Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: Dave, thanks again for the time. It's good being with you, Dave. We've got a family trip here. So we've got Pittsburgh, we've got Chicago, the South Side, the White Sox, so it's gonna be a good road trip. It's gonna be a lot of fun. And yeah, we're playing good baseball.
Speaker 1: You are the guy that sets the tone for the family of the Dodgers, and you're gonna be really trying to focus on family and your job because you're flying back to be part of your daughter's graduation this weekend.
Speaker 2: I am, I am. So I've got three games here and then I'll get the first two in Chicago, and then I'll fly back to my daughter's graduation on Saturday night, which is on Sunday, and she's graduate waiting from Stanford. So I'm really proud. And it is weird though, because you never want to miss a game but I think that this is a good reason.
Speaker 1: Hey, the Rangers manager Skip Schumacher left the team for a day to be at his son's high school graduation. What's the balance for you, because obviously you have a lot of responsibility, but also your family comes first.
Speaker 2: You know. I think the one thing for me is that the world has evolved, and many can argue not in a good way, in some ways good, some ways bad. But I do think in a lot of ways from the workplace sense of things, it's more open to kind of people spending time with their families and knowing that those moments are important. They're fleeting and so you know, the job is going to get done with it without you, And so for me, I encourage my coaches to enjoy, you know, graduations, things like that. One of our coaches had to leave for a surgery for their daughter, and I certainly welcome that because there's nothing more important than family. And it also I think when you get to do moments with your family and other things that are really important, I think you do your job better and then you feel better about the people you work with.
Speaker 1: And for you've done this before with your son, Cole, I'm curious when you're at your daughter's graduation, will you be looking at your phone a lot? How are you able to be present in the moment?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So I don't know what I did for Cole's graduation, but Emmy, it is going to be a day game, and I think they are going to overlap, so I think I might just try to put my phone down be completely present.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest in Pittsburgh. The Dodgers will have shoey Otani on the mound again. He's coming off a really good start in Arizona, but obviously we started to see the blister that he'd been dealing with. Where's that at, David? Is there any concern?
Speaker 2: Possum? Our trainer does a good job with the blisters, and he's been with the Dodgers since I played for the Dodgers, and he is a clubhouse favorite, and he says that the blister is totally manageable, totally fine. Uh, you know, not a big deal at all. So I expect Showhy to be good on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: I have random thoughts and with the All Star Game and the voting going on right now, Showho Tani most certainly will be voted in and maybe the top vote getter. But since he is pitching again, I'm curious, with the game being in Philadelphia, Sanchez having such a great year, would you rule out completely Otani possibly being the starting pitcher for the National League Or since you're the guy and the Dodgers have greater aspirations, that's not something you would you would venture into.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, I don't know how. You know, obviously you're looking at Sanchez, You're looking at Miz, you're looking at Showey. Who's my guy. I don't know the schedule for all the guys, but obviously I think that I know show He's done it before. You know, Sanchez at home, I think matters. You know. So I haven't made that decision yet, but as we get closer, you know, things can change. But as we get closer, I'll put more thought into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the fun side of baseball. And you have a few players that maybe aren't number one as far as the popularity contest. But how much do you believe that Max mounth Sy and Andy paj has have earned to start at their respective positions.
Speaker 2: I think they've both earned it, and still we have a lot of baseball left for the first half. But as we kind of get kick off the fan voting for the All Star Game, I really hope that, you know, Los Angeles Dodger fans and fans all over the country pitch in and support Max and Andy, specifically because Andy lost out last year. Max has been I think a few years since he's been an All Star, but they're both having tremendous seasons, and you know, we draw more than anyone. We have the best fan base than anyone, so hopefully that can be reflected in the voting for our guys.
Speaker 1: As far as the pitchers go, do you believe that it's out of the question or not out of the question that Justin Robleski could earn a spot?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that you' should certainly and will certainly be in the conversation. And I think Robo you can't argue the numbers and the performance, So if he continues to do what he's doing, I hope that he certainly gets some consideration.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest before first pitch between the Dodgers and Pirates the Manager's Meeting, presented by Downy Hunday. All Right, Kyle Tucker. You've been asked a lot about him. I thought it was interesting that Michael Conforto admitted last week that he was trying to keep up with the big boys on your team. That was a real candid answer. Do you feel in some ways that Tucker may have fallen into that same trap?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know. I think that it's certainly it's a big room. There's a lot of star power in our room, and regardless of who you are, to come into this is certainly daunting, can be daunting. It's a very open, friendly clubhouse. But I certainly think as peers and you kind of try to play the comparison game, which is pretty tough. And yeah, Michael, I guess admitted that a couple of weeks ago, and we had a good heart to heart, you know, probably a little later than it should have been, but you know, I was always a big fan, and it wasn't for lack of trying and preparation and just sort of talk to him about getting back to himself and not comparing and trying to you know, you know, be the athlete and fight for everything you've got, because that's how we got to the big leagues and I think it resonated with him, and you know, we didn't get to kind of see the fruits of that in the postseason, but he is obviously having a great year this year, and I do think that, you know, Kyle might be in that similar boat. I haven't had that conversation with him yet, but I'm still trying to learn him. And as a manager, you don't want to push too much too soon and sort of push players away. But I'm gaining more information every day with Kyle. But I will say the last couple of games he's been better. We gave him a day off in that Philly series. I think that was a better fit. And then so we'll get two out of three. He had two out of the three days off with the off day to come in come in fresh with this series. So we'll see. But I'm keeping a watchful eye on him.
Speaker 1: Dave, you don't get enough credit for having to be a counselor and understand every player is different. How big of the job is that, especially with some of the bigger names that you have in your clubhouse.
Speaker 2: I would say it's it's the biggest part of the job. If you have a pie chart, I would say that the kind of the mental counseling, mentoring side of the job is I would say probably you know, thirty five forty percent. And I think that the end game, which gets a lot of the scrutiny and the criticism, is probably you know, thirty percent. So there's a lot of different, you know, slices to the pie of my job, but I will say that it's the biggest part, and it's the most satisfying part, you know, of my job.
Speaker 1: A lot of people would, you know, guess that because you have so many accomplished players, you wouldn't have to be that positive reinforcement for a lot of these guys. But it seems like you may have to do that more than what people on the outside believe happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, you know, just you know, I had a couple of conversations this past homestand when we're playing the Angels in the series, sat a couple of players down and just kind of wanted to see where they were at because they've been going through it and and I think that we got to a good place and try to give them some perspective on expectations and what they are doing well and try to free them up and so yeah, it's not talked about a lot because obviously I have to, you know, mind the privacy and respect the privacy of the clubhouse and the players. But these conversations, Dave were happening all the time with guys in the bullpen, the pitchers, you know, me and miggi Row, which we've talked about a lot. Last year had a lot of conversations, you know, when he was looking at being done with the game because he was so frustrated and trying to talk him off the ledge and keep him positive and you know, and it's obviously we know he had his moment in the World Series. So these are these are good things and these are more life lesson conversations.
Speaker 1: Some of my favorite scenes over the years with you being the manager is how you have those conversations with players as the game is going on, You'll call somebody down and have a conversation with them.
Speaker 2: I do. I like that because it just I want to there's certain moments, there's certain things that are happening there as certain players that are performing that I want that I feel that it resonates with them and their game and I want them to not miss that moment and so you know, whether it's Robo, it's Roki, it's Max Munsey when he was younger, it's it doesn't matter, it's Dalton rushing. There's certain guys, Emma Shehan, you know, you know certain guys that are doing certain things. I want these guys not to you know. I like them talking to each other, you know, a little banter around the end of the bench, and that's all, and they are watching the game. But I think as a manager it's important for me it also pick them out, single them out and take a little bit of time with them to kind of point something out to them. Love it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the insight. It's always great catching up with you, and again another great week with you. And congratulations to you, your wife and your daughter for accomplishing something big graduating from Stanford. So congratulations to a great dad, a proud papa.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, I appreciate you. And let's win a ball game tonight.