Speaker 1: It is Friday, February thirteenth to twenty twenty six. Lots to get to today, from the Cuthree media circus to a Winter Olympics sheeting scandal explodes, and another major company is sending out big mailbox money, post your calls, dispatches, emails, text san more. Hey there Sabrina. Hello, Hello, see what's happening? He hello to you. You can join us on this show today. All you have to do is send us a dispatch. Go to thenewsjunkie dot com. It recorded your first dispatch today.
Speaker 2: You can also.
Speaker 1: Watch the show on YouTube and Twitch dot tv. Slash the news Junkie. Your message is rolling right into the studio in real time. And this never ever ever happens, friends, Oh what happened? Yes, it's a.
Speaker 2: Last minute message from me.
Speaker 1: Hold on, let me double check, let me verify that this is real. TMZ gets emails these days, and you never know it's made up if I'm honest with you.
Speaker 2: But this one here, now, this is legit.
Speaker 1: It's a last minute message from that old man in the Super Bowl potato commercial. Let's see what he said.
Speaker 3: A great Friday, mothery.
Speaker 1: That's not everybody, We made it to a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday has a arrived. Pat yourself on the back. Congratulations, you made it to another Friday, the thirteenth, everybody.
Speaker 4: I didn't notice that until just now.
Speaker 1: Is everybody doing on a Friday?
Speaker 5: Very good?
Speaker 3: How about you?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: We made it a long way, we really did. What a journey it's been through the Super Bowl and Bad Bunny and Guthrie Mayhem and you know, there's just a lot going on in the world right now, and we've made it to a Friday. Hopefully we can have some fun today surf along with your help, your discp your messages and chat all of that good stuff as we cruise along here into the weekend. I do want to start off, as we always do, by putting our ears of the ground, our fingers on the pulse, and see what's happened in this great, big, wide world of ours. Let's start off at a casino, everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the machine machine.
Speaker 1: What better place to be on a Friday than a casino. A celebrity encounter in a casino. And I'm not sure if you've seen this yet, Sabrina, but this is what it's like to be really famous.
Speaker 3: I think this is like, I have not seen this, but the level.
Speaker 1: Of annoyance when you get really famous. And this is a woman who has been apparently all night at the casino bothering Chad Kroger, the lead singer of Nickelback.
Speaker 2: Okay, and like the ladies like.
Speaker 1: Your Nickelback, you're the nickelback Back.
Speaker 6: God, is this from like her phone point of view?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: Here everyone has.
Speaker 3: Now gathered to see this as show.
Speaker 1: This is from her phone's point of view. There's not a ton of people around, but she's just been bothering old Chad Kroger, the lead singer, a singer of Nickelback.
Speaker 2: Then here he goes, let's listen in chin, can you think for me one little time?
Speaker 1: He's looking around, He's like, God, I just I'm trying to mourn my relationship with Avril Lavigne.
Speaker 3: I'm a long time ago, very long time ago.
Speaker 2: You might still miss her. I who knows.
Speaker 1: And and he's sitting there and he's like, God, I'm just I'm trying to exist in this world here and this lady's like chat, Hey, Chad Croker for Nickelback. I can't help, but like the lady, I don't know why there's just something in her voice that's like she's she's a troll, but she's having a good time.
Speaker 3: It seem, you know, ill willed.
Speaker 1: No, I don't mean trolling like the like a Heckler necessarily, since I mean mean she just she's just having a good time. And so she's like Chad Croker for nickelback cha can you think for me one one little time? Can you think for me one little time? Yes? What just rough stars me loverse It's like the bottom of.
Speaker 3: Win you know what compromise was had.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh god, okay, it's gonna stop you.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 1: It sounds just like them guess what she got? What she was looking back? I get here that, you know what? That beats any autograph any day of the week.
Speaker 2: I don't need.
Speaker 1: Your John Hancock on some Chad Kroger photograph, handcock, I need you to sing photograph all right, that's what I need. He gave her like a half asked little version of this.
Speaker 4: How many times you think Chad Kroeger takes a photograph with somebody and the guys.
Speaker 3: A little photograph, Jack, come on, Oh I like it.
Speaker 1: I like it. There's a little interaction for you out in the public, and he sang a little bit of the song for her. So there we go. All, we got a lot to get to on a Friday. As promise, let me bring you back to bring you forward, As so often happens on this show. We all watched the Super Bowl commercials, and I think we've now arrived at what might be I'm presenting to this to you, and then I'm going to present it to you with a with a question on another poll today that I really am interested in. But is this the biggest Super Bowl ad fumble of all time? That is the question that I have for you, just just to start before we get to the pole. Is this the biggest Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Ad fumble of all time? Let me bring you.
Speaker 1: Back to Super Bowl Sunday And when the commercials aired for Ring Ring, cameras running in and had Ring a lot of buzz about tho one I never saw it. You know, Ring Ring really had a redemption arc. They really did.
Speaker 8: Ring.
Speaker 1: If you don't know, I believe, I hope I'm not screwing this up. Ring went on to Shark Tank and pitched all those Shark Tank people's oh, including mister wonderful Mark Cuban and you know all the all the Matt dere or not Matt Damon but Damon John whatever that guy's name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of them.
Speaker 1: Right, So it go up there and they pitch the ring doorbell camera and they're like, it's like a doorbell, but it's a camera, and it's like, you get it. It's like a doorbell and you ring it but you're ringing up the camera and all the people on the Shark. Then it was called doorbot. Was it doorbought? Wow, I didn't even know that far, so it was called doorbo.
Speaker 2: They then they were.
Speaker 1: Like it's not gonna work, and you don't have a deal, you want too much money, et cetera, et cetera. And then afterwards Ring just exploded and became a massive company. But this is the largest l that anybody has carried after the Super.
Speaker 2: Bowl ads have run in a while.
Speaker 1: Here's the ad that started is that's our family. But every year ten million go missing, and the way we look for them hasn't changed in years. All right, old fashioned tugging at your heart strings. There's lost dogs in all the neighborhoods. Putting up flyers is a really stupid way to get your dog back until now.
Speaker 4: One post of a dog's photo in the Ring app starts outdoor cameras looking for a match.
Speaker 1: Search party from Ring uses as the video of this commercial obviously shows all the houses activating their cameras to help out for this missing dog, and it turns into this like giant, giant like surveillance neighborhood where everybody's like looking for dogs. Camera is activated and they're all going at the same time.
Speaker 2: And some people were not as won over by this.
Speaker 1: Some people were like, this doesn't seem good. HEYI to help family fine lost dogs since La Milo mag Day has been reunited with their family, Be a hero in your neighborhood with search party.
Speaker 4: Available to everyone for free right now, join the neighborhood at Ring right.
Speaker 1: So they were like, don't you Ring, this is where to save dogs and have a doorbell with the camera. Did you get it?
Speaker 2: It's a doorbell with the camera.
Speaker 1: And they put this commercial out there find your dog with Search Party, and then the reaction is not what they anticipated.
Speaker 2: Ring is thinking.
Speaker 1: People are gonna love this and they love animals, et cetera, et cetera. That's not the case. People were like, I don't know. This surveillance state thing is not good. I don't like that. And actually, here are some other things you should be aware of of Amazon's Ring company. Not only they do this kind of stuff, but they have this partnership with this company named flock Flock Safety works with the cops and the other law enforcement and they're all turning us into a giant surveillance state. And Amazon has responded by in the wake of the Super Bowl ad canceling their partnership with this company. What is flock Flock is this company that is a safety company that works with the law enforcement companies and it allows them to like pool the cameras together to spy on everybody to try to solve crimes.
Speaker 3: So Flock had bigger clients already set up or this was there.
Speaker 1: This is the biggest one, I would think, because Amazon Ring is so huge. But it uses AI to locate lost pets, but that goes further solving crimes. You know, Nancy Guthrie, this thing we have going on right now. They're literally using the same kind of features because they want to find footage of the abductor. But people don't like the surveillance state stuff and the pushback was so big that in the wake of their commercial they have canceled that service.
Speaker 2: They're not having a good week.
Speaker 4: They also got canceled or postponed for a contract that has to deal with FLO. Yeah, they had like a contract where they were working with some plate scanners. Yeah, your license plates. And the leaders of Alameida County have like postponed that. They're like we in California, They're getting a lot of pushback on this flock thing.
Speaker 1: I might be wrong, but I think Alameda County is a San Francisco area. I think it's near the Bay Area. I'm not positive, but the person who commented on this that I saw first said, this has got to be one of the biggest self owned in advertising history.
Speaker 2: You spend millions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Probably, as we discussed on this show, about sixteen million dollars at least for a thirty second Super Bowl excuse me, a thirty second Super Bowl spot to tell everybody you're spying on them, immediately destroying your brand, reputation and up ending your business model. And so the Super Bowl ad backfired on them big time. And now Amazon's ring has canceled their partnership with that company flock who is having a bad week it looks like. But the poll that I have for you that I want, it's just general. It's very general question I want to ask today the news Junkie dot Com slash pole. Are more security cameras a good thing or a bad thing? I wanted to simplify this as much as I possibly could because I know that the people, the people in general, the audience in general, seems to be resistant to this kind of stuff. People want cameras, they want their own security, but they do not want to take part in this like meshing together of cameras, and they do not seem to like the surveillance state that is all of our security cameras together. Right, So my question is, are more security cameras a a good thing or be a bad thing? Let me know what you think over at the news Junkie dot Com slash poll. I'm interested to see what the results of that will be. But this one was just it looked like a complete self own by the ring company and did not go overwell for them. As we lean into the weekend here, they're probably gonna have a couple extra drinks to get past that. All right, we want to see what you have on your mind. So let's see those dispatches rolling in today. Let's see the emails to tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. As I said in the opening, we got some mailbox money on the horizon here.
Speaker 2: I just got the mailbox money.
Speaker 6: I got the Apple one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Apple one?
Speaker 3: Did you guys gets yes, sir, Yeah, I didn't get anything from that.
Speaker 6: Wow, here was a thing, though it was weird. It was not a direct deposit.
Speaker 3: You had to still like click a link and verify and then it got sent to my venmo.
Speaker 1: But he still got a digital payment, yes, from the people.
Speaker 6: To your email that you signed up with. It might be in your spam.
Speaker 1: Folder, you guys, look into the camera so I can see on the monitor here, let's see. Are you guys going to get this mailbox money? Sea late is a maybe? So you may have used this company services, Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Born.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've ever heard you talk about this company. I don't know. It's a big company, and most people listening have bought something from this company. It's a food company, all right, and most of you have bought something for this company. Hell, we are paying out a lot of money for something that went wrong, So your mailbox money is on the way. In the first hour of the show today, we'll see what you think about that. More security cameras. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Let us know. I got more on that. Of course, that ties into the Nancy Guthrie case with Google and nest. That's the camera that they had in that situation. And then some people are saying, hey, you know this is great and all that you recovered this footage from Nancy Guthrie's doorbell.
Speaker 2: But she wasn't a subscriber.
Speaker 1: So are you just storing all of these clips from my house too?
Speaker 2: What you know? What do you have? What don't you have?
Speaker 1: People's radars are really pinging on this front. So I want to see what people think about that. More security cameras a good thing or a bad thing?
Speaker 2: All right, when we.
Speaker 1: Come back, we'll get into the media circus has erupted.
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 1: You're gonna find out that's coming up next on the news, Chunkie.
Speaker 2: A spooky weekend is upon us.
Speaker 1: We had two Friday the thirteenth in a row, which is weird, right, we have two of them. We have Friday in February and a Friday at thirteenth in March, which I.
Speaker 2: Guess doesn't happen that often, and if you.
Speaker 1: Are yeah, I guess, so yeah, we have two Friday the thirteenth in a row, and that doesn't happen very often, although you could find stuff like this all the time if you're searching for it. But before we get into a lot that's going on updates in the circus that's become this Nancy Guthrie abduction case and all the things that's around it, I wanted to talk about something a little bit spooky on this spooky weekend, and that is Corny goes, oh, hey, there's a new docuseries that just dropped on Hulu. And I said, oh, okay, good, good, good.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: And she goes, I don't know much about it. I just know this one just dropped, and I go, these things are usually not as good for me as they are for many people doing this show. I know. I hate I'm not saying this is some stupid, weird brag, but I know almost all the news stories that anybody would talk about make a documentary about it is the one thing that my mind holds onto like a lock box is useless details from all of these news stories that have gone viral over the last like thirty years or something hot.
Speaker 2: Flex.
Speaker 1: I know it's not a flex. I know it's not cool. But when I think about these things, I go, well, I probably know the story, but it will still be interesting to watch the documentary or the docuseries in this case, and Courty goes, yeah, yeah, here it is right here. It's about something that happened in this town called Pocatello, Idelo.
Speaker 3: My dad, I watched.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the whole thing? Yes, so I don't spoil it anything for me. Watched it yet I didn't see the last one I always saw.
Speaker 3: I was just about to text you guys when I was done watching it with Nicole. Okay, I don't remember the story either.
Speaker 2: How do we miss this story?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Even Nicole was like, I remember them talking about it.
Speaker 2: But what you guys are talking about.
Speaker 1: You did you ever hear or hear about the Scream murders?
Speaker 2: Was the person wearing a scream mask?
Speaker 1: Like from that not not exactly what they were wearing a mask inspired by and they were inspired by the movie Scream.
Speaker 2: And and I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Never remember hearing about this or talking about this on a viral news show where we cover all of these things, and the story Cordy goes, we just got to watch this, so she clicks it. It's called The Scream Murder, a true teen horror story. It's just started on February eleventh. Okay, so this week, and it's on Hulu. So if you got that, you got it already, and the store. I'm gonna only give you the basic details of this and then I don't even know the full ending because I didn't watch the last one that Sabrina has already watched.
Speaker 2: But The Screen Murder a true teen horror story.
Speaker 1: It's about this young girl sixteen years old who goes to pet sit for somebody at their house. And so she's like staying at this house, this sixteen year old, and she's like a very nice, you know, respected girl who.
Speaker 2: Doesn't get into a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: Everybody seems to like her, and her friends figure out that she's going to be sort of pet sitting at house, sitting at this house, and three friends visit.
Speaker 2: One of them is her boyfriend, the other one is.
Speaker 1: Two friends and they all leave leaving just her there, and there was something that happened after that, and she.
Speaker 2: Was found brutally murdered.
Speaker 3: Saddy.
Speaker 1: There was a thirty something times I'm stabbed brutally thirty something times all over her body, and the cops had no clue who the hell did this, and everybody was suspecting her boyfriend. But then they start to get to questioning, and not only do they find out who allegedly was responsible for this, but the story takes so many turns and twists and mister bing Yeah, And all I will say is they recover a videotape and it is I mean, it's unbelievable. I was like, how do we not hear about this? This is really really a wild gripping ride if you're into that kind of thing. This weekend a long weekend for some of you them The screen Murder, A true teen horror story is the third one as good as the first two episodes.
Speaker 3: So the third one is more interesting because you find yourself in present day. I mind you, when these murders happened. I'm the same age as I was sixteen in two thousand and six.
Speaker 6: That's the same age as this girl and.
Speaker 3: These kids involved, and I am very curious as to what your take will be after watching the third episode, okay, because the discussion comes into play of juveniles getting adult sentencing for.
Speaker 1: Because they were very young, right, I we're all involved, yeah, sixteen years old. All the people involved in this.
Speaker 3: And then the back and forth between are they the same person that they were at sixteen? Should they ever have a chance to see the light of day again?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: And could people change?
Speaker 3: Are?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Are people just naturally evil? Should they be released?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of big ask questions.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to watch the rest of it tonight.
Speaker 3: Can we discuss it next week? Though, Like we get everyone the weekend to watch and then spoiler alert for next week because there's so much shown back, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's gonna get a big following over time. But it's called The Scream Murder, a true teen horror story on Hulu, a three part series, and these guys were trying to basically live out the Scream movies. And I don't know how I'd never heard about this, But one thing about it that before I move on here, one thing about it that I really thought was so captivating was that they started to record because one of the kids had a camera all the time. They started record when they were in high school, so a lot of the footage is them walking through the halls of their high school and all of them at the lockers and them in the bathrooms and conversations with like just kind of candid conversations from years ago into high school. And it was really interesting to see that captured in the video. But anyhow, go watch that and report back everybody on Tuesday next week.
Speaker 3: Prepare yourselves. I don't know if you can even barn doing this.
Speaker 1: That's a free for our Friday, the thirteenth weekend. That's a weird, weird one. All right, Let's get you into a couple of things. One, the Nancy Guthrie situation is just absolutely fundamentally a media sideshow circus. At this point, I wonder if they're ever going to actually find this poor woman for her family. But watching some of the photographs of what's happening across the street from her house, which so strangely is frozen in time yet still getting Amazon deliveries and pizzas delivered to the doorstep, and all these media reporters, I mean, there are who there be so many people out there.
Speaker 4: I get the pizzas because the actual media is ordering the pizzas. Yes, who would be ordering Amazon deliveries unless she has a subscription.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it might have been like an auto ship thing, might be some sort of subscription. But you could see in some of the photos here. I'll put this up on see it now in a bit. The amount of media, the gaggle of media that is outside her house with all of their lights and they've got like shades blocking their shot and filters and umbrellas and cameras and microphones and they have impromptu setups next to cactuses across the street from Nancy Guthrie's house.
Speaker 2: It's a circus.
Speaker 1: It's a circus with the FEDS now battling against the local yokl sheriff, this guy who's goofy as hell and seems to be a disaster. The whole thing is just turning into a side show, and it's just unbelievable to imagine the family at the center of it. You know, Savannah Guthrie from the Today Show, who's just missing her mother after two weeks of an eighty four year old woman who left her house bleeding in the custody of an abductor that they still haven't found without the medication required to keep her alive. And this circus is playing out in front of all of our eyes. So it's been something to watch all this unfold, and now we have to ask ourselves the biggest question, is woman.
Speaker 2: Even alive anymore?
Speaker 1: Is she even alive out there after two weeks? She wasn't incredibly healthy. She requires a whole bunch of medications. No progress seems to have been made on getting her released.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they've been specific about the medication she takes, but they mentioned her heart and like, for somebody who takes blood pressure medication, right, they tell you not to miss it, you know, not to miss it a lot. It's something that you know. I've known people who have been like I feel fine and have stopped taking their blood pressure medication and had bad things happen, right, And I could only think of, like, if that was what she was taking and she's been missing it this long. Add on to the fact that she's been kidnapped and she's being held at like that seems like a very stressful, raise your blood pressure kind of situation, Like one is definitely not helping the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I feel so much for the family, but I'm starting to wonder myself at this point. I know people have been questioning this for maybe a week or more now, saying I don't know if this lady's alive anymore.
Speaker 4: I guess we could just really hope that they may have overplayed her need for medication and to create some sort of urgency.
Speaker 1: We haven't try and get her back.
Speaker 3: Heard anything from kidnappers, right, like.
Speaker 4: Nothing, We don't know if we've heard anything from the kidnappers. These ransom notes they're sending in TMZ could be completely unrelated that.
Speaker 1: Let's go into that for a hot second here, because the TMZ stuff is totally part of this media circus. I don't even believe that Harvey Levin of TMZ thinks there's anything to the new notes that he's getting from this guy who made a demand of one Bitcoin. And then he'll tell the family who the abductor is, and they said, well, hey, there's you know, there's a reward.
Speaker 2: Just go to the go to the cops.
Speaker 1: There's a reward for this, and he's like nope, nope, and like, oh, we got another message from this person and yeah, it's probably just a crazy person online. What like Jesus that that's gross to kind of glom onto this.
Speaker 3: Well, you have the funds. I'm sure they pay around that for a hot tip, So.
Speaker 1: You know what do it? See, that's actually very very true that if this guy wants one bitcoin and TMZ is so convinced that he might have something to do with it, TMZ could pay the bitcoin. Yeah they are. They one hundred percent could do this, and they're the ones who know who the person is and what the bitcoin addresses and all of that stuff. But clearly, and we'll get into this in a bit here, clearly this is TMZ trying to continually insert themselves into the story when I believe they don't even think there's anything to these latest notes that are coming in.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a bit.
Speaker 1: More of that on the way and the latest from the FEDS on Nancy Guthrie as the show rolls on. Plus we'll get into you respond at any time on the show. You're a part of this too. Record your video or audio dispatches at thenewschunky dot com right now. You could also email the show quick pause for weekends, email the show tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. Let's see what we have here. Tina emails Tips of the news Junkie dot com. I really want to thank the people that gifted secret shows, says Tina. Well look at that, folks. To you gifters out there, keep that rolling. Hit the gift icon on the news Junkie dot com. I wish I would have wrote down the person who I got mine from. It was so cool to listen this past weekend. Usually by Saturday morning, I'm all caught up on anything I might have missed. Hearing you guys just be yourselves, cursing all around and getting drunk was a fun time. I laughed so much. Also, want to thank you for doing these shows. You're the best. Well, Tina, that's what That's what the show is for. Glad you're finding it to be a suitable distraction. Jonathan emails the show. Jonathan says, subject line nut broth, which is about the discussion which is finalized. We've decided that the audience has decided that the nut milk and the non dairy milk options aren't actually milk and shouldn't be called that cool man.
Speaker 4: So for some reason, though, I'm with Sabrina. Nut broth sounds a lot worse than nut juice.
Speaker 1: That's gross. I'm not saying that's good Brandon, because it's not good Day Junkies. I wanted to touch on the topic yesterday regarding the nomenclature of nut milk versus cow milk. Sean, your outrage is justified because almond milk is not liquid that's secreted from an almond. You put almonds in water in a blender to make a slurry. You'll let it sit overnight, and then you strain out the solids. If a hot dog is a sandwich, then I submit that almond milk and other water nut concoctions should be changed to nut broths. Otherwise, I'm gonna make some chicken milk to sell. Love you guys, have a great weekend, says John. And finally, on the Pima County sheriff. That's the sheriff in the Guthrie case. Call me Mimi from the land. Okay, Mimi from the Land to tips at the News junky dot com. In reference to the Pima County sheriff, that's what you get when you vote for a kinder, gentler sheriff. This guy is an idiot. They say they need Judd Grady Judd, I believe is what they're talking about. Or Chitwood, Mike Chitwood, some no nonsense sheriffs, not this PEMA guy with zero riz no confidence.
Speaker 4: I do wonder if other sheriffs are watching this footage and knowing.
Speaker 1: What's happening. Mister Magi, what are you doing up there? We want to hear from more of you, so keep that feedback coming in and we'll give you more updates on the catastrophe unfolding in this Nancy Guthrie case. Plus I want to get back to the surveillance stuff in fact that is coming up next in the news Junkie. A lot of people concerned and I don't I don't blame them for the growing security problems in this country and the constant surveillance that happens absolutely everywhere we go now. And we are seeing this reflected in a lot of the stories that are getting attention this week.
Speaker 2: I told the.
Speaker 1: Story about the Super Bowl commercial from Ring from the Ring Company, where they were bragging about how you could help save dogs find lost dogs, and all the cameras meshed together and then we find Fidoh and everybody's happy again. And then hey, people reacted to that not in the heartwarming way that they thought people would. After the Super Bowl commercial, they paid sixteen to.
Speaker 2: Know that there was going to be a little bit of backlash. I mean, don't they know.
Speaker 1: I don't think they anticipated this. They have people now who want to leave the ring company because they were partnered up with this this surveillance organization called Flock, and they said, forget it. You know this blackfired on us, the biggest Super Bowl ad fumble in history. We're gonna cancel our deal with them. We're not gonna do this anymore. And people are asking me and they're like, Sean, what do you think about this? Because I put the poll up at the newsjunkie dot com slash pole saying more security cameras?
Speaker 2: Is it a good thing or a bad thing? And I asked it that.
Speaker 1: Way on purpose because for me, I am I don't care about team red team blue. I don't care about left versus right. I am an individualist, okay, unapologetically individualists. I believe you should care about yourself and your family the most, and then spread it out from there the people around you, your neighborhood, your community, and then beyond that, I do not have more empathy for my community than my family, all right, And I find it to be something that I'll never make sense of the people who do this is a phenomenon that is just strange to me. But as far as the security stuff, I think personally, from an individualist perspective, you for yourself and your family should have security cameras and make sure that your home is secured and that your property is secured, and that if something happens, you can refer to your video footage to see who the culprit was, right, go after the bad guy and such. But I hate the idea that we're falling into this surveillance trap of like, well, now that all of you have these cameras, you got these ring doorbell cameras, Sabrina and cealand have ring doorbell cameras, you.
Speaker 2: Got nest cameras.
Speaker 1: I got one of those, like Nancy Guthrie, and they say they're all over the place. All we need to do is let the cops have access to all of these, Let the neighborhood work together, and all your cameras can create this surveillance net. And people are rejecting that they do not like it my consent.
Speaker 6: And before this whole.
Speaker 3: Flock thing, I can assure you, according to the neighbors app and next door, the neighborhood has already been working together when it comes to lost pets. Now, if some horrible crime happens and they ask for that information, I have no problem going through my footage and offering that up. But for them to just take it and that is an invasion of privacy. I mean, is that not against an amendment certain seizure issue?
Speaker 1: It could be, it could be a fourth Amendment issue, and that's where people probably take the most issue with it. I think we actually agree on this, believe it or not, because I think that if the cops want to utilize everybody mine, Sabrina celans yours security camera footage, they should have to go house to house because they've done the work and they've said, these cameras are the ones that probably captured what we need. They should have to request personally from that homeowner. Will you be willing to offer up your footage? And then if that home owner wants to participate, they can, or if they do not want to, they can refuse. That's the way that I think this makes the most sense and keeps us away from this like giant, big brother security safety net that I hate. I don't like that at all. But that's not kind of where we're heading here. We're heading with like everybody's camera together together or the community of our cameras can.
Speaker 2: Keep us all more safe.
Speaker 6: Pay for my camera, yeah, I mean from my subscription.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that at all. That to me is not a good trade off. But go answer the question more security cameras. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? At the news Junkie dot com At slash poll, I just hid.
Speaker 4: Our code at the front of my house that the cops can scan, and this instant access.
Speaker 1: Oh really, this is wide open look at my cameras. I think they should have to go do the legwork, do the police work, and request everybody's footage one at a time. I think that that is the only way we can keep ourselves secure. From an individualist perspective, keep yourself and your family secure. And then if you want to offer up something to those people around you, you should not be required, You should not be opted in, you should not be defaulted into this. It's already the case that we constantly every single day, no matter where we go, when we drive, there's traffic cameras catching us. ATMs have cameras. There are cameras on every single block. Basically, you're captured everywhere, and there's no way.
Speaker 2: To opt out of it. Now. I want people to be.
Speaker 1: Secure, but I don't want them to force us to be part of this security net. That's the problem. All right, We want to see what you think. Join us with a dispatch. Go to the news Junkie dot com, the neewsjunkie dot com. And I've still not gotten them. Well, I guess I did get an in person request from the cops. The cops came to my house and then we know, you Sean, we know what's going on here. And they said, hey, we had a crime that occurred over here, and we want to know if your cameras captured it and can we have the footage? And I looked over and I said, my camera doesn't shoot in that area. I think it kind of did, but it was like a neighbor thing, you know what I mean, Like one was fighting with another neighbor and I didn't want I didn't want to get in between you don't want to.
Speaker 3: Be a rat.
Speaker 1: No, I like you guys fight it out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You guys probably got your own cameras.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be the neighbor like showing the footage of the neighbors taking each other's stuff, and then I get involved in it and.
Speaker 2: Then somebody hates me for no reason.
Speaker 4: I am automatically because I don't remember saying that I want to be in this search party thing, but I think I'm opted in automatically.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: Pets enabled, natural hazards or firewatch enabled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, disabling right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, thank you, no, thank you for that. I don't like this stuff. And I'll give you a couple examples of why there's a lot of reporting about this this week. Here's two of them. Wow, racial profiling enabled too, that's weird. I turned that off. One is this from the Federalist. It says the doorbell camera surveillance state is not just about finding Fido and Grandma, and this has been getting a lot of attention online. They said nobody knows what happened to eighty four year old Nancy Guthrie when she disappeared a couple of weeks ago, no one, that is, except for her front door camera. Guthrie allegedly did not pay the ten dollars per month Google Home Premium free required for her door mounted Nest recording device to capture her movement detect packages and recognized faces. Even if Guthrie had shelled out for a subscription to access the footage, her Nest disconnected at two am on the night she disappeared. Yet, ten days into her absence, the FBI announced the recovery of footage and images of a massed and armed person of interest on her front porch. Video showed the suspect snooping around before tampering with the Nest camera, and they said they retrieved it from quote data located in back end systems residual data. Yeah, like, what does that even mean. They're not even a subscriber and you're still keeping the footage and then whoopsweet have it over here?
Speaker 2: Still? Then they talk about that ring spot that I mentioned.
Speaker 1: The thirty second spot was designed to pull the heart strings of pet owners and good neighbors whose ring cameras could play a role in finding Fido when he goes missing. However, people didn't react to it that way. Millions of Americans rejected this we don't want to surveillance state a lot of us.
Speaker 2: Here's another one.
Speaker 1: Google's breakthrough from Fortune magazine and the Nancy Guthrie case is raising uncomfortable questions about how much it's watching you, how much all these cameras are watching you, And then more so, beyond just how much the cameras are watching you, what are they storing that they're not telling us about, like Google, And what programs are we part of that we didn't ask to be part of. I want to secure myself, my family, my house. I want to secure that. You want anything else, come ask me for it. The rest of it is craziness. To me, it is craziness.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think all of you guys that are spearing at clouds about this, Uh, who has my stuff?
Speaker 2: Why can they get to my camera?
Speaker 4: If I'm not a subscriber, Like if you're that, if you're that upset about it, it's time to pony up some money and get a local system.
Speaker 2: Well, pony up the money.
Speaker 4: Get get a couple of nice, big hard drives.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 3: A lot of maintenance. I feel it's.
Speaker 1: It's not as plug and play. I mean, the ones that everybody is getting are so easy. But that's the thing.
Speaker 2: They got the Guthrie footage.
Speaker 4: The way they're describing it, I believe that they did, like a classic undelete. They found files that were marked for deletion because she did not pay for the subscription, and they were able to recover them. I think that just shows that if you don't pay for the subscription, your footage still gets sent to the server and then they go, this person's not a subscriber delete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they had it for almost two weeks on those servers. Yeah, they were capturing footage for for.
Speaker 2: Does it captures footage.
Speaker 1: And one is not suppost to store it when you're not asking for it to be.
Speaker 3: Stored, of course, but and this came to a crime and something that needed to be address. I mean immediately, it's hard to use after two weeks of getting that footage. But would Nest be willing to give something like that if it wasn't such a high profile case.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if they would have said this to just Joe Schmoe saying, oh, I'm interested to see if there's some additional footage on my account. This is like the FBI and they go, I don't care. Dig deep and they go, oh, looks like we found something here. Because everybody is recording you everywhere in your phone. The lie to you about that and tell your phone's not recording you. The lie to you and say you know the stuff that you're searching. Don't worry, ssh, You're incognito there. Everyone is watching you everywhere. And I believe your default as an American citizen should be not to be opted into any of these programs.
Speaker 2: Not opted in by.
Speaker 1: Default, you should try to win over people and see if they want to take part in this.
Speaker 2: They've tried with that the Super Bowls.
Speaker 1: Good luck, it didn't work. It didn't work in these cases sometimes.
Speaker 2: So Yeah.
Speaker 1: To see what you think, go to the news junkie dot com slash poll and let us know if you think more security cameras are a good thing or a bad thing generally speaking. So we'll check in on that as we roll along on the show today. You can also dispatch us record your messages at thenewsjunkie dot com. Here is I'm gonna call you MLW all right, just because of your username MLW has a dispatch for us about these security No, no, no, you're.
Speaker 10: Talking about the Ring neighbors that I had a suspicious woman show up at my mom's house on her ring camera and I posted it on there. You know this woman, you know, really suspicious looking, and they wouldn't do it because, oh, you know, you don't know if somebody's suspicious or whatever. A month later, she's on the news for attempted murder of her brother three houses down.
Speaker 2: From my mom.
Speaker 1: Geez, that's more Is that ring doing that or the community doing that?
Speaker 2: So wait, like they wouldn't let him post.
Speaker 1: The listed photos He's saying of somebody suspicious in the neighborhood, and the app took it down saying like, you know, you can't be just profiling these people. And he said a couple of a month later or whatever, the person was on the news for attempted murder of her brother three houses down from his mom. I see a lot of that happening where people post photos in the community will attack them and they'll be like, what is this person doing wrong? And sometimes they're right, honestly, you know. Sometimes it's like, oh my god, is that a kid riding a bicycle? In your neighborhood. Unbelievable. I do see that from time to time, but he's saying that they take down his stuff when he's posting it on the I see a lot.
Speaker 2: Of there's five cup cars at my neighbor's house. What's going on? What's happening here?
Speaker 3: Hear that boom?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I like the idea that hey, that this this thing happened. Somebody on this app must know about this. Like not everything that goes down, people are going to understand why are there cops at this place at the corner of so and so and so and so not always going to come through that way. We want everything answered very quickly, and a lot of you have big thoughts on this last one for now. Mike to Tips at the news junki dot Com says, as long as you're connected to cloud for video storage, it's almost impossible to guarantee total privacy. The only way I could see keeping your info private is with a closed system like a commercial system.
Speaker 2: Keeping a hard.
Speaker 1: Drive dedicated to video storage is an added expense, as well as a hardwired camera to the drive, but that's the only way I know to keep it totally private, says Mike thank you for the email. You can join in on the discussion as well. I'd encourage you to if you want to send an email, you could be anonymous if you'd like, put that up on top, or just put your name tips tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. Or record a message just like you heard with MLW earlier. You can do that over on the website, which, as you might have guessed, is located for video and audio dispatches at thenewsjunkie dot com. Quick break, real quick, when we come back. More of the media circus plan out right now. It's getting embarrassing, honestly, in the Nancy Guthrie situation. We got the next episode coming up. We got this week in Florida coming up Friday rolls on and that's coming up next. In the News Junkie, they finally did it. Somebody did something about the most annoying thing in your car. And I'm talking to a lot of you right now, probably you. The most annoying thing at and a lot of new.
Speaker 2: Cars is not Jackson.
Speaker 1: It is something very very different, and the EPA finally just did something about it. And if you don't know what the EPA is, it's the Environmental Protection Agency. They finally did something about what people are saying is the most hated thing. And almost all of the new cars that are out there now I have this in well, in Courtney's car, she has this, and I don't think I have this in mind, but a lot of newer cars. Hers is much newer than mine.
Speaker 4: If it's apa, I'm thinking it has to be what the environment.
Speaker 2: Has to do with the environment.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is. It's so there's a lot of cars you guys are going to know who have this immediately what I'm talking about. There's a lot of cars now who have this button that's on by default in your car. Courtney's Mercedes has this, and if you don't turn off the button every single time you start your car, then when your car goes to a stoplight, the engine will shut off. It is the most annoying thing. Every you start the car, you have to look down. There's a little button right to the side of you. You press the button to unengage this system that turns off your motor to save gas and energy when you're at a stop.
Speaker 3: Lights all the time? What about to stop light?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where they just goes and all of a sudden it's dead quiet, and then right when they hit the gas the car starts up again and lurches off. It's so annoying. It's the absolute worst, and in so many cases you cannot turn it off. I think Ashley's car does that. I think a lot of cars that are built within like the last five or six years do it because they were required to in some cases now not forced to, but required to so that they could say that their cars were consuming less fuel sea lane. So, for instance, you have this, you have a car, you put it out there in the marketplace, and the federal government, through the EPA, says, we need all cars to get this much gallon per miles per gallon so that they're more efficient and they're not polluting too much or whatever. And the car manufacturers are like, we can't get that kind of mileage out of the car. But if you put this button on your car that shuts off your engine when you're at a stoplight, which is so annoying, it'll allow your car to save just enough gas that your mile edge gets high enough that the EPA is to the point where you know, the car manufacturers win and it makes you the car look like it's better for the environment. Looks like it saves more money on gas. But everybody hates this thing.
Speaker 3: Everybody has that much better. Has it been actually proven? It makes sense, like turning on your car also a waste of gas, like you might as well just leave it.
Speaker 1: There's science to it, it says they find that there's a fuel consumption improvement between seven and twenty six percent. You save about a quarter of your gas and energy. And if they wanted to be EPA certified, if they wanted to meet all the specifications that the Environmental Protection Agency idea had to put this stupid feature on your car. And so many people have these vehicles with this and it's on by default and you have to turn it off every time. Finally they have rolled that back. Now I don't know what that start stop feature rollback means for all of us who already have cars that do this, But for new cars they won't be required to do this. The US Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zelden said an endangerment finding under previous administrations has been the source of sixteen years of consumer choice restrictions and trillions of dollars in hidden costs for Americans. People hated the forced auto start stop feature onto Americans that was pushed on to American consumers, which unnecessarily shuts off a car's engine when you stop at a red light.
Speaker 2: In other words, the engine goes off.
Speaker 1: Hate that, and a lot of you will be like, oh my god, I know what you're talking about. It's the worst invention in cars since since everything, since everything.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I'd be more pissed at the stuff that with you, that's in the car that they make you pay to use. Ye, that bothers me a lot more than an engine shutting off.
Speaker 1: That is annoying. I agree. Look, trust me, people who have a car that does this every day, Vicky says, really dislike this. A lot of people who deal with this every day are like, oh my.
Speaker 4: God, I know exactly what you're talking about. What if the car company charge you to use that feature to turn it off?
Speaker 1: I would I would probably yell a bit, I would probably lose my mind a little bit.
Speaker 3: They will take it out, But you have to get an automatic seatbelt like back from the eighties.
Speaker 1: I don't want that either. I mean, it's already an automatic seatbelt, because it's going to beep at me. Until I put it on. And now I'm just a good little boy. I put my damn seatbelt on, all right, going on a journey.
Speaker 2: Here we go. I'm safe right now. I don't like having my seatbelt off. Yeah, now it's weird. Yeah I feel uncomfortable. Now you're kind of used to it, I think.
Speaker 1: But the thing is they didn't ask for people to do this. They forced it on you. So every time you start your car, it just happens automatically. It's annoying. And here's the thing. All of this crap that the government forces down for environmental reasons and air quotes, it doesn't need to happen. People will make these changes on their own. Give them a better opportunity. Electric vehicles were nothing. They were nothing. Everybody hated them. They were an embarrassment. Nobody wanted one. Now you cannot go one commute in any direction without seeing a dozen or more of them.
Speaker 4: You can't go to a dealership without them, you know, having a big poster about their new insert model e.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the electric version, and people get one over. I think some of them are pretty cool. Actually, some of them are very very fast, honestly. But what I don't like is when you say, hey, we've got to save the environment or whatever, and to do that, we must put the most annoying feature ever that consumers hate universally in all of their cars. Man, it's crazy, but that is absolutely a thing that is. It bothers a lot of people. So hit me up if you had that experience over at tips at thenewsjunkie dot com, or send a dispatch like this one.
Speaker 2: Here's Concrete Mic.
Speaker 1: Talking about that that the Weekend News Junkie crew.
Speaker 8: Hey, that auto start and stop on cars is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen them due to a vehicle. True, it is not only bad for your starter, it is bad for the flywheel on the transmission.
Speaker 3: That's what I meant to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that cost.
Speaker 8: Thousands of dollars when that wears out, prematurely hate that help your car starting and stopping.
Speaker 2: I had a hundred times a day nickel for every flywheel I know.
Speaker 1: When a flywheel on your transmission gets out of whack, ain't no good. That's how I say it all the time. Thank you, Concrete Mike. You have to be right, you you literally have to be right. I don't know anything about this part of it. I'm not a mechanic, but if there's a starter on your vehicle, yes there is. Okay, everybody's vehicle pretty much as a starter on it.
Speaker 2: The electric car.
Speaker 1: I don't think the electric car is due because it's just like a battery. Everybody with a gas powered vehicle, Everybody with this feature. I'll even say with the auto start stop feature on all these cars. It's annoying. Everybody has a starter on your vehicle. And if you use your starter, I mean obviously each use is going to bring it closer to its end of life status. If you are starting your car one time per day, driving it to work, driving back after starting it again, being two full starts per day on your vehicle, that quite obviously is going to do less damage to the condition of that starter than if it's happening hundreds of times at every single stop play. I haven't looked into the research, but I think you're probably right. Concrete Mike, I think you're probably right about that. Here is let's see insecure Walris is joining us.
Speaker 9: Hey guys, so I don't even own a ring or a nest or anything like that, but I have looked into a little bit how Google was able to get some of that data back, and I'm not totally sure they even got it from servers from my understanding and having dealt with some other recording devices in this industry, Yeah, those reds are just always cashing information kind of like a dash cam recorder, and if an event happens, it then kind of like timestamps, it marks it and puts it up for upload to the cloud if it is.
Speaker 1: Have a service like that.
Speaker 9: If it doesn't have a service like that, it will eventually delete that info.
Speaker 1: All right, I would agree with you if all the stories that I've seen literally didn't say Google found it in their back end, right, did they not say that it was a Google found this in temporary files in their back end, meaning it wasn't on the camera unless all of that reporting, which is quite a bit of reporting, but it doesn't mean it can't be can't be wrong unless.
Speaker 2: All that reporting is wrong in secure wall risk.
Speaker 1: They at least made the claim that it was coming from their their back end side of things.
Speaker 4: If you compare it really to the current topic of discussion, you're starting and stopping your engine over and over again, and in your flywheel and all that fancy stuff you just made the You just made the observation that the more you stop and start an engine, the more it's going to wear and tear on that engine until you have to repair something. Right, So if you when you delete files, if you if you were to actually write over them so they were literally no longer there, that's more wear and tear on the drive. That's why the process of deleting stuff doesn't actually wipe over.
Speaker 1: It usually know in the digital world, but in this case, I think with storage, yes, I think storage has a limited time of being able to write over and over and over again. Yes, like absolutely, and that's why and zero is eventually like if you have a hard drive for eight million years and you keep writing over it, at some point like degrade correct.
Speaker 4: So they say that with like if you buy an SD card, sometimes they'll show you at a rating that says this has like so many million rights in its in its lifetime guaranteed. But to actually wipe a file is a right you have to write over all that you have to like write, you know, scribble over everything, and that's more wear and tear on the drive, which is why instead they just mark those sectors as able to be written over so that the next time, you know, more footage gets sent in, they just ride over it.
Speaker 1: Right. Wolf Man on YouTube says auto start stop is also terrible for your valve train. Oil stops flowing and drains back to the pan. This means the cams run dry. That's what I've been talking about. The cams are running dry. Cams run dry for an extra moment, so all your engines bearings will fail sooner.
Speaker 3: I've been screaming that, and then they've been screaming that you get a new car. That's not good for the environment. If they have to keep producing these cars.
Speaker 1: Huh oh, no, it's got to be bad. All of it seems wasteful. Nobody wants drive cams. This was like a government overreach in a weird, annoying way, and I'm glad they turned that around. But let us know what you think. If you've got a car that does this stupid auto start stop thing that I'm talking about here, only the folks with the cars that do it will know what I'm talking about. Are you glad that the EPA is saying, no, we're not doing that anymore, or you think they should keep forcing people to have that stupid button. Let me know, send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now, All right, real quick, here's the update form the FBI on Nancy Guthrie. They have a new poster for Nancy Guthrie, missing person. I'm looking at it here. This is updated I think last night. It still has the same description for the eighty four year old mother of Savannah Guthrie, who has now been missing about two weeks or so.
Speaker 2: Here is an update.
Speaker 1: The FBI is now offering a reward of up to one hundred thousand dollars. They have upped the reward at the Federal Bureau of Investigation to over to up to hundred thousand dollars leading to for information leading to the location of Nancy Guthrie and or the arrest and conviction of anybody involved in their disappearance.
Speaker 2: Quite a bit more than one bitcoin.
Speaker 1: The other information that has come in, say, the images above show an armed individual appearing to have tampered with the camera at Nancy Guthrie's front door the morning of her appearance.
Speaker 2: The suspect is described as.
Speaker 1: A male, despite you female gate people who think it's a lady with eyelashes. Approximately five nine to five ten with an average build. They say it's a man the FBI does in the video. He is wearing a black twenty five liter Ozark trail Hiker pack backpack. The FBI seeks information that will lead to the identity of this individual. That's the update in the search for Nancy Guthrie at the moment quick break. When we come back, we'll get into some of the other angles of this case. I want to get into a pretty interesting piece of information they're trying to get out after the death of James Vanderbeek, the actor forty eight years old who died this week from Dawson's Creek fame and Varsity Blues fame. Yeah, and now they're saying, you gotta be careful. This guy died of colo rectal cancer at forty eight years old. And these are the things that you need to be looking out for so that this doesn't happen to you. These are the things that you need to be looking out for to make sure you're not on the same path that forty eight year old James Vanderbeek was on before he even knew it. I'll give you those signs. That's coming up next in the news junkie. There's so many things happening in this lovely world of ours, so many side quests, so many viral stories, and then so many clips, and I try to work in the clips that go viral over the course of the week. This one in particular has fourteen million views. That's a lot. That's getting a lot of attention out there. And it's RFK talking about story in his life. So I mean, let's see, he's the health guy, right, he's a health and hellman services. Yeah, he's the make America healthy again guy. Here is RFK talking recently on a podcast I believe, and.
Speaker 11: I said, I'm not scared of a germ. You know, I used to snort cocaine off the toilet sees. Yeah, I know this disease will kill me, right, I don't.
Speaker 1: All Right, a couple of questions. All Right, you can say I'm not scared of germs. I get that, But suggesting that you've gone to the links of snorting drugs off of a toilet seed, why not the tank? Yeah, it might have.
Speaker 3: Been a public restroom they have like that metal one hand.
Speaker 2: That's even worse.
Speaker 1: You're you're not just saying I'm trying to show you that I don't care about germs by doing that.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a fetish.
Speaker 1: When you're you're snorting drugs off of a toilet seed, you're like trying to find the worst place to do this.
Speaker 2: But that's what he said. RFK Junior is like, Look, I'm not scared of germ.
Speaker 11: I said, I'm not scared of a germ. You know I used to smart cocaine off a toilet disease. Yeah, I know this disease will kill me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Okay, here he goes.
Speaker 3: THEO talks with everyone about especially those that are in the current administration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that tends to be his go to on his podcast over the THEO Vaughn with RFK Junior. I think that you should not be so overly concerned with germs as so many people seem to be. I mean, I do things, I take small measures to make sure that I don't get sick more than I do. But I don't think you should be out there doing this stuff. This is the equivalent of the six year old kid at the theme park who takes out his tongue and licks the handrail as he's walking along in the line. And you don't have to make it even worse. What the hell are you doing right now? That seems like a terrible idea, but let us know, he thinks. Dispatch at the News Junkiard dot com or email tips to ips at the Newsjunkie dot com. We unfortunately lost James Vanderbeek and I'm not going to play that sadass video again. Okay, that was like, very very heartwarming video of him talking about the meaning of life as he was approaching his final months with colorectal cancer.
Speaker 2: And I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: He talked about being first an actor and then he thought that didn't really grasp who he felt like he was, and then being a husband, and then being a father when he had kids, and then not being able to be any of those things when he was diagnosed with cancer, and feeling useless, feeling like he wasn't worthy of anything, and then realizing that he was a person who was, as he said it, worthy of love.
Speaker 2: And he said God's love in his.
Speaker 1: Case, but he said, even if you're not a believer in that kind of triggers you in some way. Just a person worthy of love is sort of what dawned on him was who he was in life at that point in time, and they're also through the death of James Vanderbeek.
Speaker 2: Kim and his family.
Speaker 1: His family who has to have a GoFundMe because they went broke trying to keep dad alive. Father James Vanderbeek, a father of six kids.
Speaker 4: James Vanderbeek made decent money, right, Oh, I would.
Speaker 1: Have thought so.
Speaker 2: I would have thought, so.
Speaker 1: Let me bring up the GoFundMe on this, just to see what that is at now. The GoFundMe for the family. People were stepping up big time. Two point two six million dollars raised, and this says James Vanderbeek was a beloved husband, father, and friend who touched the lives of everyone around him. After a long and courageous battle with cancer, James passed away on February eleventh, twenty twenty six, leaving behind his devoted wife, Kimberly, and their six wonderful children. Throughout his illness, the family faced not only emotional challenges, but also significant financial stream Even him the guy was on a one of the most popular TV shows of the nineties, and he was a movie star, James Vanderbeek was still struggling financially because he was trying to stay alive and provide for his medical care. In the wake of his loss, Kimberly and the children are facing an uncertain future the cost of james medical care and the extended fight against cancer. I've left the family out of money. They're working hard to stay in their home and to ensure the children can continue their education and maintain some stability during this incredibly difficult time. The support of friends, family in a water community will make a world of difference as they navigate the road ahead, and people have been generous as they asked them to. The family. Now is two point twenty six million dollars Now, before I get to the things they want you to be looking out for so you don't end up with colo rectal cancer dying at forty eight, I want to tell you again, and I'll keep saying this until I'm absolutely blue, perhaps green, maybe even black in the face at some point in time. Oh buddy, that's career ending. I will say this because it's true. I will start with the thing that people don't like to say. The thing that people don't like to say is that the United States healthcare system is literally measurably the best in the world. Our healthcare professionals are literally measurably the best in the world. Our doctors, our nurses, our healthcare frontline workers, people who work in every facet of medicine in this country are the best of the best. It's a thing that makes America great is that our healthcare in this country is phenomenal, but our insurance is garbage. We have half of it and the other half we've got a big giant goose egg. When a celebrity like this can end up needing a go fund Me, I mean, it's great that the family's getting money, but I care about the poor people who end up like this. The people who aren't James vanderbeekon aren't athletes or or Hollywood stars. Those are the people I care about who get bankrupted by this stuff all the time, because our health insurance set up in the United States of America is a catastrophe for them financially.
Speaker 3: The majority don't even get any health care, any care for their health because they are already scared of what that cost is going to be bring their family through it. James vanderbeek had a long, hard battle and that included treatment for years now. There are who don't even go through that first round because they cannot afford it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for me, I'm glad this is happening. For his family, I hate what happened to them with him dying, But I care more than I care about celebrities. I care about poor people in the United States of America, lower income people, people working hard, just people struggling who get involved in these same things and don't have the resources to get two point two mil in a GoFundMe. We've got a problem. We've got a problem there for sure. Look out for these things. If you have any kind of unintentional weight loss, fatigue, that you're feeling, cramping, or abdominal p blood in the stool. The American Cancer Society says those are the common early symptoms of colo rectal cancer. That's what took James Vanderbeek got at forty eight years old. This week more on the way, send your dispatches in in your emails over at thenewschunky dot com. When we come back the next episode with Sabrina, what's coming up on the next episode, what's the news?
Speaker 3: The next episode eode, a heavy metal singer goes from a breakdown to downhill and not in the sad way. The reality competition shows are close to making me want to go full antireality competition shows and exhibit American Idol Auditions is the first one. Plus Bad Bunny Bush for Sale. That's right, Bad Bunny Bush for Sale, Take my money. I'll find so much more coming up on the next episode.
Speaker 1: And that is coming up next on the News Chunkie, dispatches and emails are cued up and on the way. Some of you are excitable today, some of you are angry. Some of you got anonymous emails. We'll get into everything that you have on your mind momentarily, plus the dispatches you've recorded at the News Junkie dot com.
Speaker 2: Right now, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Let's do the next step episode, because.
Speaker 8: There's a lot on TV and you can't possibly keep up with all of it, even though you should, because what else are you going to talk about?
Speaker 3: Drums man, drums man, drugs?
Speaker 1: I recognize right away, man, nothing nice. It's time for the next episode with Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Hey, hold up. The next episode brought to you by that mortgage Guy Don, That mortgage Guy Don dot com.
Speaker 6: And of course the Home Loans radio show.
Speaker 3: Tune in every single weekend, get your questions answered live on the air. See that Don and his crew are pulling back the curtain on the mortgage business because they want you to know how it works. You're making big life decisions buying a new home. What was the word that Fritz used, deed.
Speaker 6: Deed, loan loaan deed, getting a deed.
Speaker 3: Then work with someone who knows what they're doing and has got your back. That mortgage guy don dot com.
Speaker 1: Don't miss the voco.
Speaker 3: Mortgage guy down dot com. It was twenty eight years ago, nineteen ninety eight. This group right here, wait for it. The Eagles is right and it was on this day, bold bold move on the Eagles part that they sued the National Foundation to protect America's Eagles, claiming the organization in fringe on the band's name and image. Don Henley and his poorly disguised corporate greed machine lost and the Eagles they projected by the National Foundation. But good on them. It's what's worse what they tried to do or when Kiss tried to trademark the devil Horns take.
Speaker 2: I think the Eagles thing is a little more egregious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but people did go after kiss for the death metal thing because that's like that it is just such a universal thing that I love you Alrue.
Speaker 4: Garth Brooks and orang fighting over the lowercase G was a little good.
Speaker 3: And then doctor dre versus the Gynecologist Doctor dre That was another one more recently.
Speaker 2: Still haven't chosen my favorite of those two, but sometimes.
Speaker 3: This is a favorite for me. But a real quick question, can I borrow four thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Okay? For what? What's?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Is this completely unrelated but very exciting bush costume on the web?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but one of the real ones from the halftime.
Speaker 3: Go eBay, go eBay.
Speaker 1: Go eBay. The only thing I know about it is that they were pretty heavy.
Speaker 3: I heard, yes, let me I just I just forty pounds.
Speaker 2: Forty pounds okay, yep.
Speaker 3: Costume weighed forty pounds, required wearing safety goggles to protect against the faux foliage.
Speaker 1: Do you think we're too far away from Halloween? Though, like by Halloween when people still know the Super Bowl halftime bushes?
Speaker 3: I think so, Oh, this is a big announcement, so I hope so. But one of the one of the dancers who got paid and I remember also underlining this one three hundred and nine dollars approximately eighteen seventy an hour for seventy hours of labor. Is putting up the bush costume on Go Ebey. The seller says it comes with a green uh ba laklava, shoulder harness, sweatsuit, gloves, grass bunny prop arms, the in ear radio that the performers had to wear.
Speaker 11: Cool.
Speaker 3: What Super Bowl sixty tote bag? Why did they get to keep the in your radio?
Speaker 1: Yeah, weren't they supposed to return all?
Speaker 2: This sounds stolen?
Speaker 3: Well, it could be your stolen for five thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: I only asked for four thousand.
Speaker 3: I want your note. I'm going to do the other thousand from my parents. And the cellar wasted no time listening to costume. It was put up just a few hours after the.
Speaker 6: Game had ended.
Speaker 3: Any word on where we're at, because I imagine buy it now five thousand, but people have the option auction.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is very this is very saus This entire radio is a good deal. I mean that is a good deal, but it feels like they're not supposed to have it to.
Speaker 3: Begin with yeah, Well, we're living in a time where you're not supposed to do things. But here we are American Idol, and the headline reads as such, I'm listening lead singer of this group right here.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not bad, it's good company.
Speaker 3: Yes, great white singer. Yeah, this is great white.
Speaker 1: What is it once bitten twice shy or something?
Speaker 6: Yes, that is great.
Speaker 3: And the singer Brett Carlisle is advancing to the Hollywood round of American Idol after wowing judges with his audition.
Speaker 2: Did not know who he was.
Speaker 1: The guy for the eighties on American Idol, mind you.
Speaker 2: This is there was an age limit for American Idol.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a current front man. I will say, I'm guessing lead singer.
Speaker 1: Original I thought it was for amateurs, not people in rock. I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess Now we're just changing the rules because you know that they did a whole like story backstory. When he's not here trying out for American Idol, he's with this band.
Speaker 6: That's a video to the group chat.
Speaker 3: But oh really, me Bring, twenty eight years old, is the current front man for the long running hard rock He's but he's the current front man for the hard rock long running group getting paid as musician.
Speaker 6: Why are you auditioning for America?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This is not an amateur at all.
Speaker 3: Wow, the judgess.
Speaker 11: My name is Brett Carlisle, and I sing for the band Great White.
Speaker 3: Rock and we would like to rock shirt.
Speaker 1: Lissa.
Speaker 3: Is that the guitarist for Great White?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure?
Speaker 3: Is that the pianist for Great White as well?
Speaker 1: I didn't hear here of the like the intro, they didn't say like this is who is playing with him? His voice is pretty good though, right, and that's.
Speaker 10: Now leave with the devil, John, leave this circle.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving with the devil. Leave this so good, so broken. I could do that if I wanted to. I don't want to, though. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well he's moving on to the next round.
Speaker 3: Very exciting for m Damn, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: He's got his his ticket to Hollywood?
Speaker 1: Yeah is what it is.
Speaker 3: Also, if you want a ticket to the first ever Dancing with the Stars con that's going to be in Palm Spring, California, this summer July thirty first through August second, you can be.
Speaker 4: Doing a whole con. You do it a Dancing with the Stars con. He dance with various stars.
Speaker 3: Fans will be dancers, judges, former contestants, and mirror ball champions. Oh, I do not see my sweet sweet Robert Irwin, so I will not be going. Oh to be there?
Speaker 1: Well, he was at the Super Bowl recently. I saw him there, Robert Irwin. He always seems like he's having a good time.
Speaker 3: Nice guy, nice guy. And maybe a new reality competition show.
Speaker 2: Bendi will be there. You want to go?
Speaker 3: Nah? No, I'm good. How would you like to play? America's got kidneys?
Speaker 2: I got some kidneys?
Speaker 1: All right? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could be a part of the search for a new kidney for bj Phillips, save her life?
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with the Phillips us Phillips But I don't know why I know the name BJ. You Phillips?
Speaker 3: Well, more than one thousand people know her so well that they are offering up kidneys to her. That's a lot, yeah, TMZ saying over a thousand potential donors came forward after news broke that Bju urgently needs a second kidney transplant, an incredible outpouring of support.
Speaker 1: But new match. Oh she is the wife of Danny Masterson.
Speaker 3: Phillip's sister in the sense of Wilson Phillips or that one girl on TV. These used blood type BE negative. She needs donors with be negative, be positive, OH negative or OH positive blood. So go to DMZ and tell him that you want to give a kidney. That's I don't know if I could. I could give a kidney.
Speaker 6: I believe to someone.
Speaker 1: Give Beyonce a kidney.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, if.
Speaker 1: Beyonce came forward and she was like, oh, I must continue to be a mother to Blue Ivy, who now looks like exactly.
Speaker 3: Like me, which is pretty crazy, and.
Speaker 1: Then you'd be like, I can't take Blue Ivy's kidney, but only Sabrina Ambro.
Speaker 2: You would be like, here you go.
Speaker 3: But there's no guarantee that we would ever talk again. That's the thing with giving celebrities your kidney.
Speaker 2: You can make whatever deal you want. You can have your own deal.
Speaker 6: I'm allowed to come to your house and hang out.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 3: You gotta text me every week say what's up. I feel like that's the least you can do if you give.
Speaker 1: Someone For a while, there, jay Z and Beyonce, we're talking about being vegan, like one day week, just skip that day and go over the house one day a week and then give him a kidney in exchange problems.
Speaker 3: How many kidneys can you get with one hundred and seventy million dollars?
Speaker 1: One hundred and seventy kidneys at.
Speaker 3: Least, Well, that's exactly what snow White lost Disney.
Speaker 1: Oh god, and a weird.
Speaker 3: Segue seems like more of a punch to all the guts. But according to Forbes, a new report from them, they have sighted the company's filings which indicate the studio will end up losing a reported one sixth eight point seven million on the project itself.
Speaker 1: That's not great.
Speaker 3: Giant flat forecast would be over over the production budget, which costs adding up to three hundred and thirty six and a half million dollars.
Speaker 1: I don't even see any of it.
Speaker 3: I sne with every one of the dwarves.
Speaker 1: Was I blame some of this on Peter Dinkline because Peter Dinkline, it just seemed like he was annoying in this whole escapade. But I didn't see it. I mean now I don't even know if it's good or not. But there was so much bad press and talk about like woke snow White, and then the movie did not.
Speaker 2: It did not do well at the theaters.
Speaker 3: It did not, but the UK government did reimburse most sixty five million dollars for the movie's costs.
Speaker 1: Jesus, that's something on the boob tube.
Speaker 6: Maybe watch snow White.
Speaker 3: You could also catch the Olympic Ridge Winter Games on Apple TV, the streaming premiere of Eternity, NBA All Star Weekend, and the Game Have Fun. We also have Naked and Afraid, The Simpsons, Dark Wins Family got a Night of the Seven Kingdoms and the premiere of last week Tonight with John Oliver. Follow your dreams of me on Instagram at Sabrina and Bru, but most importantly say it with me.
Speaker 1: America smooped every day. Thank you Sabrino. When we return, everybody, I want you to buckle up. You bought the whole seat. Put you only need the edge. This week in Florida, I'm building it up, but I don't know if he's got a winner on his hands this week. I don't know. Did you get a good roundup of Florida related story?
Speaker 2: Still rounding them up? Baby?
Speaker 1: All right, So you're gonna get some freshies in on this one. Folks suppresses Yeah, so we'll see what happens with this Week in Florida that's coming up next in the news Junkie.
Speaker 2: The time has arrived.
Speaker 1: It's that time of week friends, where our friend Christopher Dolores Lane takes us through all of the well, I mean, the Florida stories that were in the news that week. Come hell or high water, Florida tends to stick out in the news and we'll see how today goes.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Sea Lane and just tends to stick out anyway on a map, just kind of tricks out.
Speaker 2: You know, it dangles down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although it was cold, so maybe the dangling has shrunk.
Speaker 2: I've not checked the live maps. But are you ready?
Speaker 1: Water was cold?
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's do this Week in Florida.
Speaker 1: We're giving you a recap of the most grown worthy stories in the state. It's this Week in Florida.
Speaker 2: That's right, the weekend is here.
Speaker 4: It's time to take a tripper on the Sunshine State and see some of the craziness that has gone on in the past seven days or so. And this one is a story I find to be just slightly hilarious. But I think this probably happens more often than we'd know. And even though it shouldn't, this is very not so good. But this guy, Kevin Charles Luke. He is a former Army colonel at McDill Air Force Base. They say for almost four decades, he lived a life of service and sacrificed the United States. Sixty two years old, he spent thirty seven years in the Army before he retired in twenty eighteen with the rank of colonel. Thereafter, he continued to work as a civilian military contractor, which gave him the top secret security clearance that he had before as the colonel. And with the top secret clearance, you get access to top secret files. Yeah, and it turns out the former colonel like to send those files to girls he was flirting with online.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean, that's one way to find a mate.
Speaker 4: It was an ill conceived effort to impress a woman that precipitated the former colonel's remarkable downfall. On Tuesday, federal judge sentence looped to two years in prison, less than the three or four recommended for sharing classified battle plans with a woman he was dating.
Speaker 1: Why did she care? Why is this woman like show me the classified battle player?
Speaker 6: He dropped it as a line.
Speaker 2: I don't think she asked for it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that was something that was said to me.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, yeah, sure immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could either share with you a D pic or I have some classes.
Speaker 4: This is unsolicited battle plans B pick maybe. In October of twenty twenty four, Luke met a woman online who was not in the military. According to court records, he began talking with her by email old on.
Speaker 2: October first, he sent her a text.
Speaker 4: Message with an accompanying photo through his personal cell phone. He put sent to my boss earlier, gives you a peek at what I do for a living.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it was bragging. Huh.
Speaker 4: The photos showed a computer screen to play, displaying a classified email message. According to court records, the message discussed was described as a then future US military operation, including details about the date of the operation, the number of targets in the operation, and the battle plans authored by Luke.
Speaker 2: The message boar markings that read.
Speaker 4: In all caps secret slash slash ral to USA COMMA f V E Y that meant the emails contents could only be seen by an authorized personnel. In what's known as the Five Eyes Intelligence Alliance. Those five eyes are the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. He is going to spend two years in prison for showing off his classified documents.
Speaker 1: What an idiot, Jesus.
Speaker 2: And like I've said before, probably would do the same thing. If I had some classified documents.
Speaker 3: You can't see it.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to text them.
Speaker 4: You know, there's not going to be a paper trail here. But you know you're in the car glove compartment. Open and check out the closet on documents. Don't take any pictures.
Speaker 1: What a trader you are. For God's sake, this is traitorous behavior.
Speaker 4: I would it would be like a mundane classified document, like it's classified, but it's a memo about cleaning up after yourself in the in the employee kitchen or something, not.
Speaker 2: Battle plans. When you think I'm some sort of.
Speaker 1: Thanks patriot, Hey hold on, let's be real. Our company iHeartRadio that pays the bills around here, there's no secret documents that we can get our hands on. We we have iHeart Radio secrets. We hold some secrets here, but we don't have like some files with some top secret stuff that we're keeping away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speak for yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you guys have top secret documents that I don't over there, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I do have a top secret document that what's that I hold just for myself?
Speaker 1: What's a Let me see that? Please?
Speaker 2: You've seen it?
Speaker 4: Over to call your county where there happens a little bit.
Speaker 2: You just said you I just said you've seen it.
Speaker 1: Damn it, I didn't think it out all right, Go ahead if.
Speaker 2: You were in call your county.
Speaker 4: They're having a little bit of a problem at ave Maria University, which now has I would call this an outbreak fifty seven cases of measle. Measles sounds like an outbreak, woo per the Wednesday update alve Maria University and have assessed seven students who have presented rashes, bringing the total number of cases to fifty seven. For someone who's never been vaccinated, they say, if you're in a room with someone with measles, there's over a ninety percent chance you will contract measles, just airborne or just being in.
Speaker 2: The room with them.
Speaker 4: Measles highly contagious, causes symptoms similar to those of the common cold, including red, swollen eyes, a running nose, cough, and a rash, So stay away from the kids at Ave Maria. If you ever wonder what they do with all that drug money that they confiscate when they make the big busts, you know, what do you do?
Speaker 2: They just leave the drug money in the locker? What are you doing with it?
Speaker 4: Well, in Orange County they have an answer, and that answer is free ice cream, free ice cream for the people. The Orange County Sheriff's Office has a new and very unique vehicle in its fleet. The Sheriff's office posted on x that it purchased with drug money an ice cream truck, and I have seen it, and the ice cream truck is decorated in stickers that say this was purchased with drug money, which this seems kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I have this. If you want to see this real quick?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This is the They did like a promo for it.
Speaker 10: This is our brand new Orange Chinese Sheriff's Office ice cream truck.
Speaker 1: It says this ice cream truck was purchased with money sees from drug dealers.
Speaker 2: With three.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take this truck around and we're going to visit some of our neighborhoods and give out. Is it free? Yes, And that's all in an effort to better engage with our youth. Okay, I don't hate the idea. I mean that seems nice.
Speaker 2: I don't hate the idea.
Speaker 4: It's a I mean, I'm sure there were some bills they could have paid with that money. But it's something nice and something fun and just I think it teaches the lesson the drugs can be good.
Speaker 1: Well, it also teaches the kids like, hey, not every interaction with cops has got to be bad. Yeah, because here's the cops coming through with some ice cream for you. This seems good.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go get some free ice cream. High out of mindments.
Speaker 4: Seeing as though cool just just that cool about we're teaching all the kids not to take ice cream from strangers, but if they have a badge on, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 4: You might be getting some free ice cream if they come to a neighborhood near you. A man speaking of the police in Cape Coral, they're really doing the work. They're putting the criminals behind bars.
Speaker 2: Baby. A political feud led to a projectile.
Speaker 4: Food incident at four Mile Ecological Preserve in Cape Coral after a man was arrested for launching a cupcake at a city employee.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: The incident occurred mid January, when a City of Cape Coral employee reported a man had thrown a cupcake at him after a verbal dispute about politics.
Speaker 3: That's a waste of a cupcake. If they asked me, I can see.
Speaker 1: It happening, though, Like you think modern day political fights are so annoying that you're sitting there and you're like, as much as I want to eat this cupcake, I would rather projectile this at this person's face.
Speaker 4: But at what point does somebody throw a cupcake at you and you go, I'm calling the police because you're just doing that to be a dick.
Speaker 1: Right, by the way, what is this big secret now? Now? Boss Man Bradshaw Jack Bradshaw at iHeart says, I got documents, he says, he texts us, Oh.
Speaker 6: The same document I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't have access to the documents. Are the documents about me? That would be I'd be jarring.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have the document that I'm thinking of. Oh, okay, he's gonna want it now. I mean he's gonna be marching over here. I want to see a document. Daddyou, let's see The alleged thrower, David Sternal, fifty nine years old, was found at a nearby gazebo with frosting on his person, claiming the city employee through the cupcake at him. A police responded to the incident and conducted an interview. According to them, his speech and behavior were disorganized, prompting a Baker Act investigation.
Speaker 2: Oh you got Baker acted.
Speaker 3: I get it bake yeah.
Speaker 4: External confirmed with law enforcement he was aware of his surroundings and did not have any intent to harm himself for others. He was charged with criminal mischief for damage to property over one thousand dollars for one Yeah you do, I want one thousand dollars damaged with a cupcake, and a weapon offense for a missile into a dwelling. That that is quite the charge for cupcake thrower a cupcake. He remains inside the League County jail. There was a shake up in the villages this week. Deputies evacuated homes in a neighborhood on Tuesday after they responded to explosive devices as at a residence, prompting a bomb squad response and a federal investigation.
Speaker 2: Deputy's posted on Facebook.
Speaker 4: Out of an abundance of caution, homes in the immediate area are being evacuated while these items are safely removed from the homes.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 4: In an update, the bomb squad determined the explosives were confirmed.
Speaker 2: Stolen from the military. Yeah notification.
Speaker 1: Our military explosives are so uns cure that they're just stealing them.
Speaker 4: It didn't say how the person got their hands on the military explosives or even how they were discovered, but a neighbor said he was away from home when neighbors called to describe the scene, said a lot of action going on, helicopters going around, police cars and everything. Kind of scary for some of the residents there. They were shaken by the discovery, particularly because of the explosives reported military origin, but no arrests have been announced. New six knocked on the front door of the home Tuesday night. There appeared to be people inside, but nobody answered. And I don't think I would if I were them either. Let's see tragic story of this man who tried to go all grand theft auto. Twenty seven year old man died Friday after losing control of his vehicle flew over and overpass and hit an SUV on I seventy five. The sixty one year old man from Georgia driving the second vehicle sustained minor injuries and last but not lease, I got this one sent to me a few times.
Speaker 2: Police arrested a couple in Florida after a gain.
Speaker 4: Aim of pickleball allegedly descended into a massive brawl involving more than twenty people.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Anthony Sipenzia and his wife Julianne were detained following the fight at Spruce Creek, a country club not far from Daytona Beach. They were taking on another couple on the morning with Super Bowl Sunday when tensions came to a boil. Oh man, were they in jail for the Super Bowl? That would be annoying until before long. Both police officers and fire and rescue were called to the country club in a response to a physical fight in progress on the pickleball court involving over twenty individuals according to the police affidavit, and the team's hurled insults at each other, while Anthony Sepenzia accused of yelling, your wife is a sea word.
Speaker 2: That's it for this week in Florida. Okay, that was? Is that what? That's what made the brawl as big as it was.
Speaker 1: You toss out the sea word like that, it'll there's a lot of court. Yeah, don't do that around those parts. All right. When we come back, I got big updates. It's rolling in on the Nancy Guthrie story for those of you interested. We'll see what's happening there and we'll move past that. We'll get all geared up. By the way, I have another update and the teenager that went missing.
Speaker 2: Yesterday that somebody said, you guys got to talk about this too.
Speaker 1: An update on that and jury duties on the way, so much more. Plus we've got to talk about this neighborhood in Los Angeles who the neighborhood has done the unthinkable the unthinkable. What would you do if this happened in your neighborhood?
Speaker 2: I want to know?
Speaker 1: And that's coming up next in the news Junkie. Thank you to Sea Lane, because I completely forgot about this, even though I teased it coming up a little while ago. I forgot about the mailbox money. I try my best when everything's teased on the show to get it in on the next segment, or at least that day, because you know, sometimes the stuff escapes me. But yeah, there's mailbox money out there. We've been doing this for years and years. On the show. You just heard Sabrina and Celian saying they literally got paid from I think it was an Apple mailbox money settlement.
Speaker 2: It was something about Siria listening to you or.
Speaker 1: Something, yeah, which we said was happening forever, and they said was not happening forever. But you guys got the proof. The proof is in the pudding. You got forty dollars I think or something cents, thinking forty dollars and ten cents to Sabrina and Cealan on that one. So many of you have made money from these different class actions that we've talked about and programs that we've talked about. Mailbox money ways for you to get free money is always something we bring up whenever we can on the show. In fact, some guy one time said, hey, I listened to a program you talked about and he ended up getting like fifty thousand dollars from one of them. So this is not as much, but you may qualify for up to five thousand dollars for this and I earlier when I tease this, I tried to determine whether or not Selane and Sabrina have been to this place, have been to this place, or went to this place in twenty twenty four at some point in time. It's a very popular restaurant nationwide, nationwide, without a doubt, fast casual.
Speaker 2: Not one of the.
Speaker 1: Regulars that you think of, you'r McDonald's, your subway, Those aren't fast casual. Yeah, not one of those away maybe, I mean, yeah, this this one that says at least in the article I'm looking at, Celan says fast casual. But did either of you, at any point in twenty twenty four, as far as you know, spend any money at Panda Express brees Ken, Uh, yes, I think well.
Speaker 2: I think it might. It might.
Speaker 1: Let me bring up this story here, because if if you went to Panda Express in twenty twenty four, you may qualify for up to five thousand dollars in mailbox.
Speaker 3: Money hause you got cancer.
Speaker 1: Specific I hope not. Let's see it, says Panda Express class action settlement. You may qualify for five thousand dollars. Is from New York's Picks eleven Dot com It says you may qualify to get money from one of the most popular fast casual restaurant chains in the country. The Panda Restaurant Group, parent company of Panda Express, has agreed to pay two point four to five million dollars as part of a class action lawsuit settlements. And I'll give you the web address on this. In a second, Panda Restaurant Group agreed to the settlement to resolve claims around a twenty twenty four data breach shaw Yet I know the one of those anybody who received the data breach notification letter. This was in twenty twenty four. Let's scroll up a little bit. Panda failed to prevent the breach.
Speaker 4: The compromise customer information such as social security numbers. Why do the Panda Express have their customer social security numbers?
Speaker 2: Maybe from their app? They have a great app.
Speaker 6: Put in a social security number in an app?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that I have either. We use it though. The Panda Express app is so awesome. You get to play little games. There's a couple of games each week you get to play and you can get like deals and prizes, or they steal your information. I guess who qualifies for this settlement, anybody who received the data breach notification letter.
Speaker 2: This happened in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Class members can get up to five thousand dollars in documented losses or at the very least a one hundred dollars cash payment. So if you were involved in this, you can get up Prgbreechsettlement dot com. Now, I'm going to get a screenshot and put this up on See it Now so that everybody can go to the website. All you have to have been was a Panda Express customer in twenty twenty four, and there's a likelihood that you were involved in this, and at the very least you will get one hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Why the hell not.
Speaker 1: On the high side, you could get up to five thousand dollars in this Panda Express class action. All right, I'll put it up on See it Now. That's the section of the website, the see it Now section where if we're talking about something like this, you can go and get the link. All right, that's up and post it over on thenewsjunkie dot com. Thenewsjunkie dot com. Don't forget when you go over there, click on the menu, click on see it now and you'll see the Panda Express class action settlement. Go get your money. It'll be in your mailbox before you know. All Right, there's that. That's a lot of people. I mean, I think I'm pretty sure a lot of people go to Panda Express in the course of a year. So hopefully you can get some money out of that.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the latest embarrassment in the Nancy Guthrie case. Now, the reporter Matt Finn from the Fox News Channel has said, I just did a wide ranging interview with the Pima County show of Chris Nanos about a lot of topics. Well, he said he wasn't and now he is like, this is this guy is so weird and the sheriff's the locals are so weird in Pima County and how they've been handling this gigantic case. They said, literally they were not doing one on one interviews, and now he's done one with Fox News Channel. Chris Nanos, the Pema County sheriff, tells Fox that his office did not, in fact find a glove at Nancy Guthrie's home. He says, we have no glove. We never found a glove on that.
Speaker 3: Pro it was a picture of glove.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: One glove that was found a mile or so away near a neighbor's house. And then afterwards they said, oh, we found a second glove on Nancy Guthrie's property. And that story's been out there for the last forty eight hours or so, and now the Sheriff's like, Nope, we didn't find.
Speaker 2: Any glove on that property.
Speaker 1: He says his office has been using the same contracted private lab for decades, long before he was in office. He says his office started sending the Guthrie evidence to his lab from the start, and that the Guthrie family DNA and other DNA swabs are there too, so it makes sense to keep sending stuff there. But he says the FBI says that they're not working well together.
Speaker 2: He says, we are working well together.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they're talking about on the ransom notes and the legitimacy. He says, the FBI is the expert on that subject. The sheriff cannot comment what else on whether this is a kidnapping or something else. He said, we believe it's a kidnapping, but you always consider other possibilities. They said they found a few different gloves possibilities, some.
Speaker 2: Of them miles away. They have not said. Nano says.
Speaker 1: The Rio Rico, Arizona man who was briefly detained the other night is a delivery person who was in the area of Nancy Guthrie's house. More than one issue led.
Speaker 2: The sheriff to this guy.
Speaker 1: After talking, he believes he had nothing to do with this, but they said, like he was in the neighborhood, in the area.
Speaker 4: You just scrolled past something I thought that was interesting. They said that the the DNA that they found in the home, they can't they can confirm it's Nancy's, but they can't confirm that it's blood.
Speaker 1: That seems weird, he.
Speaker 2: Guys, says.
Speaker 1: Nanos says, Nancy's blood was found outside her home and Nancy's DNA was recovered inside, but he can't confirm the DNA inside is blood. So whatever the DNA was recovered from inside was maybe not blood, it might have been something else. On the allegations that family members are involved, the family has been fully, one hundred percent completely whatever we've asked for, they've done, They've been on board with this, he said.
Speaker 2: And he said the situation with.
Speaker 1: The FBI is is being blown out of proportion, But the FBI says no, the local yokels are Keystone cops and they've screwed up this investigation from the beginning. The whole thing's a media circus and a disaster now and we don't know where the hell this eighty four year old woman is or if she's even alive. Let us know what you think. Go to the news Junkie dot com and record your first dispatch right now, quick break and do we have actually we have some more time. I can keep going, right because we just walked in a weekend seconds all keep going here. Let's go to a couple of your emails tips at the news Junkie dot com and Chris emails the show. Hey Sean, Hey sea Lane, Hey savvy. He says he's a v v y everyone that that you tagged Sea Lane in that he got another version of Sea Lane on the Internet that I hadn't seen before.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, what was that?
Speaker 2: Was that?
Speaker 1: The other day? A l y n so see Lane? Was that the show?
Speaker 2: Was that the caption on that video?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I miss it and that's my bad. But I thought it was a very creative spelling. I've seen cleave and s E E l A N.
Speaker 1: E C record it's C dash l A n E see lane all right, ce dash Lane.
Speaker 2: His last name is Lane.
Speaker 1: His name is Chris Sea Lane. But he gets ceiling as in the roof. Celene is what this emailer said, ceiling. Lots of different options, and Sabrina has turned from savvy, which is a nickname people use, but savvy savvy, So hey Sean, Hey Celine or Celene and hey savvy. You guys were just talking about the Ring app and they did the same thing to me. There was a suspicious guy walking around knocking on people's doors pretending to sell stuff, and when I posted the picture on Ring, they took it down. They sent me a message saying you can't label people just by the way they look. And the guy wound up getting in trouble for doing something in the neighborhood. They're probably worried about their you know, lawsuits and stuff and coming. They've got some issues there.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they keep releasing new videos of persons of interest in the Nancy Guthrie case and they're blurring out the faces and for the life of me, is Is it because it wasn't on her property that you feel like, I mean, how are people going to identify a person that they're looking for if you blur the face?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's a good question. And to add to that, the guy who was featured in the video where he was rooting around somebody's recycle bins go over the fence with Yeah, the guy with the multiple backpacks. That guy has allegedly been cleared. They said that that guy was not related to this. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But there's a new one today, and there's that one out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, this is the new one. Sabrita sent this over earlier, says Nancy Guthrie. Law enforcement absolutely looking at new suspicious video. Here's the video. This is from a house about six miles away. It's a guy on their balcony moving around in this house on the front porch. I'm sorry, I didn't even say balcony, the front porch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, TMC has access to it.
Speaker 1: He's kind of awkwardly moving around, his faces blurred out. He sees the camera and tries to cover up the camera. Very short video, but that's the only one that happened. The bell he's kind of like back it up to it for some reason.
Speaker 2: It was sort of weird.
Speaker 1: That was from January twenty third, and TMZ got it off the Rings Ring Neighbors app somebody had posted back on En twenty thirty.
Speaker 4: Oh, so it's basically like these different people who have dispatched and emailed in have talked about where they say something suspicious, but this one didn't get pulled off the Ring Neighbors.
Speaker 1: Ab I guess, although this was six point five miles from where Savannah Guthrie's mother lives. So I mean, there's really high chance that this just happened to be some other weird thing. That app is just full of reports like this and very likely not connected. But law enforcement says they're looking into it, they're treating as a potential lead, they're checking it out, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So there we go. Two more emails real quick.
Speaker 1: Here's Anonymous talking about the same topic regarding the Ring doorbell cameras and similar devices in the movie Shelter starring Jason Statham. The government of where this movie was located has software to search all cameras and locate people. It's kind of scary to see how far it goes. It's an excellent movie, says Anonymous.
Speaker 2: It it It is scary to.
Speaker 1: Think about all of this stuff, but I don't think it's that far fetched anymore.
Speaker 4: Isn't that the whole thing with the who's the guy that was in exile right now? The WikiLeaks?
Speaker 1: Dude? Oh, Juliana Sange, who's the other one? Yeah, Edward Snowden.
Speaker 4: It wasn't the whole thing, like the movie about Edward Snowden's whole journey and that thing, like, didn't they have he was exposing like some software system that could open anybody's cameras.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of top secret spy programs that Edward Snowden was highlighting. He was a FBI contractor I think in like Hawaii or something. I hope I'm not getting that wrong. And then he fled to Russia after leaking all these internal documents about evesdropping from the government and then got out of here. And things have gotten way worse since then. Whatever he he was talking about is gone. Now you've got companies like poll Andeer and others who are working with the government to scan everybody's face and be able to take people's pictures and compare it to this massive database access cameras everywhere. It's just crazy. One more on that front, Misty emails tips at the news junki dot com. The cameras are similar to how cable was back in the day. The channels you didn't subscribe to are still there, but scrambled because they couldn't remove them individually from each account. The cameras have to record because they can't separate it. But if they're going to save everything in the cloud, they should figure out a way to scramble the footage for those who don't have a subscription, just like the cable company, but in reverse, says Misty, it didn't have to work like that. If it was on their servers, it should just not send any information to their service if you're not a subscriber. If you are a subscriber, it should send information to their service, which gives you the backup that you're looking for. In this case, I'm thankful that they did because they got this security footage from Nancy Guthrie's house of the alleged abductor. But it doesn't work like cable does. It's very different. It could totally just be that you have your own app. You have your camera that have to watch them live and that's it.
Speaker 2: But it has to send the video for you to be able to watch them live.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, I guess you're right. It's where you're channel from. It has to route through their service, but it does not have to be stored on their servers, or it could be so temporarily stored on their service that it would not be available ten days later, as I think it was in this case. But it's not like cable. It doesn't work like the cable company scrambling stuff. Anyways, thanks for the email, Misty. I appreciate that. Quick break. Let me come back. Jury Duty is on the way. In Jury Duty, I'll give you that update I promised you on the other teenager that we said was missing during the show and this neighborhood in Los Angeles that has done the unthinkable. What if this happens in your neighborhood? What is the really loud sound that they're going to be hearing soon?
Speaker 7: That's coming up next on the news junk Key.
Speaker 1: One of the craziest things that's still going on is with all these updates in the Nancy Guthrie story, which are just like you know, seemingly unending. One thing that nobody's talking about is I never considered that if you go missing for two weeks, everything at your house just keeps going. It's the most bizarre thing. Savannah Guthrie from the Today Show. Her mother has been gone for two weeks. Basically, we don't know if the eighty four year old is dead or alive, but everything just keeps going.
Speaker 2: It keeps going at her house.
Speaker 1: We've seen Amazon delivery drivers still delivering packages at this woman's house. There is somebody peeking into the backyard just moments ago. Look at this. The pool cleaner has arrived and is cleaning Nancy Guthrie's pool in your backyard. She's not there. She's been missing for two weeks. But the all of this just like continues around these areas, despite the fact that somebody is nowhere to be found.
Speaker 3: I thought I had read that the police had called them in the pool people, and maybe it was just they had to escort them in.
Speaker 1: I suppose, oh yeah, maybe once they got there. But it's like, why are they still I mean, I guess they still want the pool to be clean.
Speaker 4: It's so weird to Nancy got three and I'm rescued. Eventually, I'd like to come home and.
Speaker 2: Have a dip.
Speaker 1: I mean, this house has gaggles of media outlets outside and across the street. They have pizza deliveries still showing up. They have the local YOKL cops there with Sheriff Nano, who doesn't seem to know what the hell he's doing. The Feds are everywhere in the neighborhood. They got neighbors coming over with flowers because they're sweet, save for the one neighbor who hates everything that's going on and keeps telling the cops to leave. It's a whole media circus. It's a media circus, and it's just unbelievable to watch.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine?
Speaker 4: And I know this is gonna more the more days roll by, the more this seems like a long shot. They get they find Nancy Guthrie alive. She goes home, and then you know, when she's kind of flipping through everything, maybe they're showing her some stories, some of the stuff that happened. She finds out that her neighbor has been yelling at the cops, telling him to go away, bitch.
Speaker 1: Like, how dare you? Everybody in the world united, all of these people came together and they all said, hey, look, this isn't a political story. It's a story of intrigue. It's a story of mystery. It's a story with twists and turns. What happened in Nancy Guthrie. It's enthralled the nation and everybody's interested except for that one evil bitch of a neighbor that that woman would be crazy.
Speaker 3: And then Nest reaches out like, hey, I'm gonna favor that subscription now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the way, yeah, os just a little bit. All right, let's see what's happening out there in courtrooms all around the world.
Speaker 2: Let's do this. Here's jury duty.
Speaker 8: Court is now in session, So put your phone down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to whip your ass.
Speaker 1: You're knowing jury duty with the News Junkie. Jury Duty brought to you by the one the only mode wit of the DeWit Law Firm. Injured on the go, just call MO eight hundred, CALLMO eight hundred, CALLMO, or go to just CALLMO dot com. After an accident, reach out to the attorney that's going to help you battle those big billionaire, greedy insurance companies. You've heard them here on the show. Now give them a call after the accident eight hundred CALLMO or go to just call Moo dot com. This is a story about a home in LA and I've never heard of this happening before. But you know, there's been a lot of talk about not just the Nancy Guthrie thing. People are still talking about ice. Although you've had ice move out largely of Minneapolis, move on to areas where they think they might get more cooperation from local law enforcement. Seems like the temperature is turned down just a bit on that. I'm seeing less of the ladies at the yoga studios screaming at the employees. You know, what your opinion, what's your stance? And it's like I see less of say it forced to take a stance on all of this stuff. But now I've never seen anything like this before. And La neighborhood is installing sirens in the neighborhood to warn residents about the Feds coming in with ice.
Speaker 3: Oh well, did you see how they responded at the whistles.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know. Yeah, I didn't even know that you could do this. But hang on. Here's the story from KTLA Let's see if they show them testing this, because I'd love to know what this sounds like. What if so what if I'm in the neighborhood and I'm like, hey, I kind of want some of these people, especially if they are criminal offenders, want them removed from the neighborhood, and like somehow instead of that, we're installing sirens. Is everybody on board with this, Let's tune in. Here's KTLS says of.
Speaker 12: A Highland Park community are coming together to create a system that would protect their neighbors.
Speaker 3: From federal immigrations vice alarm.
Speaker 12: The group is working to install warning sirens that would alert the community of federal agents in the area. Kjla's Alino Bovian is live in Highland Park with more on that effort.
Speaker 3: Hileena, Hi, the guys.
Speaker 12: Well, these small sirens. They plan to have them up on private property, so either businesses or residential businesses, and they say they're hoping to get it done later this month.
Speaker 1: I want to hear it though. Oh there it is.
Speaker 6: A grassroots efforts.
Speaker 1: Siren. This siren is not the biggest most impressive siren I've ever.
Speaker 2: Since siren are an air compressor.
Speaker 3: I think dogs from around the neighborhood will come.
Speaker 1: It's like the neighborhood activists are going to have little tiny sirens that they plug in and alert the neighbors who probably aren't there illegally at all.
Speaker 4: I think Sabrina has a megaphone with a louder siren.
Speaker 1: This. Don't let me go back here here, Here is the demonstration of the siren. That's it.
Speaker 12: Crow streets effort led by residents. I'm community activists is working tins.
Speaker 2: I don't even mind it.
Speaker 12: Syrons across this Highland Park neighborhood designed to alert people when federal immigration agents are spotted your bond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is more just to make you feel like you're doing something.
Speaker 4: I was imagining like an air raid siren, like a siren like we had.
Speaker 1: A story, remember the guy. We had a story of this guy installed like sirens on his property and he was annoying all the neighbors.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, you know.
Speaker 6: That's for tornadoes. Yeah, can't mix them up.
Speaker 1: But I'm thinking something that screeches. And then everybody in there was like, Jesus, this is so annoying. What's going on? Those were pathetic. I don't even know if you get anybody's attention with those, But what do you do if that happens in your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: This is literally happening.
Speaker 1: In Los Angeles, where they probably have more people who are on their side, if you will, politically. But this group has come together and they've got tiny little plugin sirens. I'm sure that'll solve all the problems. It'll all be fixed in due time. Let me know what you think. Send your dispatch. That's how you join us on the show. Record a video or audio dispatch and do that on the website. Takes just a moment or two at thenewsjunkie dot com. Don't want to do that, but do want your voice heard, send an email. If you want to be anonymous, put that on top and send the email to tips tips at thenewsjunkie dot com. Quick update. Somebody said yesterday all the too much of this Guthrie stuff, there's too much Guthrie news.
Speaker 2: Who cares about Nancy Guthrie?
Speaker 1: What about this? And they said, there's a story about a fifteen year old girl and she's missing out of Ovido.
Speaker 2: Where where is she?
Speaker 1: So? I said the story yesterday, and I said, we'll keep an eye on it. I said, the reason why the Nancy Guthrie story is making headlines is not just from the celebrity tie ins, but it's got intrigue and twists and turns, and it's a great ongoing story and a distraction really in many ways from other things. But this story is giving us a bit of an update. The FDL says the missing girl fifteen is safe and has announced that the missing child alert has been canceled. She had it, turns out, just run away with some friends and gone to the Tampa area. She is safe, good to go and not missing any longer. So you see, you know that path was not a very long one, and this path has been going on for two weeks with twists and turn after twists and turn, and the other path very very short one.
Speaker 2: But this is what you can do.
Speaker 1: You guys can always point us to stories that you don't believe are getting attention. And the reason why, I think that's important Before we take a break here, real quick think, think this is important. Story selection bias is one of the real things that happens every single day in media coverage. This is the only show that you're ever going to find where if there's a story that you're not hearing any commentary on. Say Sean, what do you think about this? And email it to tips at the news Junkie dot com. And what's important to you is featured right here, So email the show tips at the news Junki dot com when me come back. The final hour of the show, the Power Hour revs up. We'll see what's happening as we wrap up the week. And I have the most disturbing little tidbit from a television show that is known for its drama, but not known for what happened to this person details coming up next to the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: Reality TV fan.
Speaker 1: I tease this before the break, so let's talk about it, show of hands. I think all of us on the show have seen Love is Blind? Right, Yeah, Love is Blind? Love is Blind a little bit.
Speaker 3: Nicole watches it actually just started the new season.
Speaker 1: You're at least familiar with what's going on on Love is Blind.
Speaker 2: What about you, see.
Speaker 1: Lane, I have observed bits and pieces of it.
Speaker 4: I've never actually, like, really paid attention to Love is Blind.
Speaker 1: I want to watch the next season, and it's because there was an accident on the set and in my in my estimation. This is going to make for an interesting episode of Love is Blind. And here's what happened. I'm looking at the story here. Love is Blind Season ten contestant was removed from the pods and hospitalized after mistakenly pouring nail glue. Oh really blind, Erry legitimately blind. The incident took place at the end of the new season's first episode, and one of these contestants on this show, Love is Blind, where you're supposed to meet people in this dating environment. Now when they say pods, it's hard to explain this, but they go into these like little rooms that are completely locked off, and on the other side of this screen is somebody else that they can't see, and they just talk to them and they fall in love with them, hopefully from a conversation. So this woman is sitting in the room getting to know this guy on the first episode I guess of Love is Blind, and she goes, oh God, I need some eye drops, And as she's trying to put her eye drops in her eye, she realizes she just put nail glue.
Speaker 3: This happens all the time. One, we've talked about this before.
Speaker 8: Two.
Speaker 3: I had a friend in college. We're all about to go out to the clerb mm hmm. Super glue in the eye thinking it's eye drops.
Speaker 1: That's why they have not.
Speaker 3: Changed the way these bottles look so that there's no confusion.
Speaker 6: Baffles me.
Speaker 1: Stupid question. Is there any difference between nail glue and super glue that's worth pointing out? Or is this the same thing?
Speaker 2: Probably? Yeah, I don't think you would want to superglue nails.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it's some sort of like this glue is a strong glue that would hold something on your fingernail. Obviously hold that to your body, and they said. During the last few seconds of the first episode of the Netflix reality show, Alissa Finley thirty eight was seen running into the women's lounge screaming, oh my god, what do I do f the.
Speaker 2: F word, before a producer calmed her down.
Speaker 1: I know you're scared right now, we're going to have to send you out. This woman, who was a nurse in Ohio, had to be removed from the show for a bit because she accidentally put nail glue in her eye, which she thought it was eye drops. On the show, they hooked her up to an iv or. I was flushed. I know what that's like, it's miserable. The guy was getting the glue out. It was so awful. I can't believe I did that. And I guess it's okay. They don't say about They said her eye is still hurting, but she was determined to return to the show with her vision issues. Just brutal. She really loves love. She does. She's willing to go all the way for it, I guess. But they said that that happened for the next season of that show, and that has got to be absolutely rough. Hopping along talking during the break with the Schoolmike, the crew, the folks who talk with me during commercial breaks on the stream on YouTube YouTube dot Com, slash the news Junkie, and I said, is social media addiction real? And I think most people think that it is. I think most people think that it is.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: One of the ways to dismiss the idea that social media might be addictive, and I'll tell you why we're talking about this in a moment, But one of the ways to dismiss it might be like, well, just take the kid's phone away and there won't be on the internet, and now you're not addicted to social media anymore. But that doesn't make a thing not an addiction, and quite obviously things other than drinking and doing drugs can be addictions.
Speaker 2: I think there are lots of other.
Speaker 1: Things, high risk things and even non high risk things that you can get addicted to as a person. For example, I think that gambling addiction is real because yeah, people.
Speaker 2: Addicted to gambling and it can get bad. You guys have probably seen this kind of stuff too. One hundred percent. It's a real thing.
Speaker 1: The gambling addiction could be an issue. But I bring this up because Instagram CEO Adam Massari has said this week to Congress and in a trial that he's been testifying in in fact, that he rejects the notion that anybody could be addicted to social media. And they said, what about these people, these young people on your platform, these kids who are on Instagram for sixteen hours a day, are they not addicted? And he said, no, that's not an addiction. And I'm like, if that's not an addiction, then an addiction doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: I also don't know how much I will give the Instagram ceo credit in the sense of this is his business.
Speaker 6: Of course, he wants people scrolling for sixteen hours.
Speaker 1: Plus, if kids are getting addicted, then he has to say you have to stop them from getting addicted, and that up ends the business model. Yeah, that ruins everything for him.
Speaker 4: It would be like Jack Daniel saying that alcoholism was fake, right, and this in this case is justice silly.
Speaker 1: This story from NBC says Instagram or for the AFP, actually says Instagram ceo denies addiction claims and landmark US trial. The CEO of Instagram, Adamasiri, rejected the notion that anyone could be clinically addicted to social media. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Can you be addicted to social media?
Speaker 1: Yes? Or no? Meta the apparent company of Instagram and Facebook and Google owned YouTube are defendants in this trial. This could set a legal precedent regarding whether or not these platforms were designed to be addictive. How do you defend against that? Of course, they're designed to be addictive. What's the point of an algorithm? Yeah, explain to me an algorithm. If an algorithm is not meant to addict people to the platform, you're meant to hold a person's attention for as long as possible to keep them on your platform. I think it's important to differentiate between clinical addiction and problematic use. That's what he says. I'm sure that I've been addicted to a Netflix show when I binged it really late one night, but I don't think it's the same thing as a clinical addiction. Now here's the problem. His logic is off course he's saying, and this might resonate with some people. I'm sure I've been addicted to a Netflix show when I binged it really late one night, but that's not the same as being clinically addicted to something. Well, you might not be able to be addicted to one show, but you certainly could be addicted to television if you were spending all day every day just watching television. Yes, you could be at to it like anything else possibly, And it seems pretty clear to me that you could be addicted to the Internet or these apps or Instagram that would be the case.
Speaker 3: Are there not some sort of chemical reaction or brain activity reaction that that determines someone who is addicted to something.
Speaker 6: Versus so problematic usage?
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 6: Interviewing the CEO, let's get taken to the science.
Speaker 1: Let me ask Tjai not really science, but close to it, and see what this says. Tjai. Is there any studies that have been done on whether or not people can be addicted to social media apps like Instagram?
Speaker 13: Yes, there have been studies on this. Research suggests that some people can develop behaviors similar to addiction similar social media platforms like Instagram. This includes symptoms like compulsive use, mood modification, and withdrawal. The debate continues on whether it's true addiction, but the patterns of excessive use and negative effects on daily life are well documented.
Speaker 1: See that. To me, it's like, why we going further to say whether that's an addiction? If you're telling me it's messing up the person's life. They're spending sixteen hours a day on Instagram. If you're spending sixteen hours a day on anything, you're addicted to it, that's your whole day. Yeah, what is addiction if.
Speaker 2: It's not that?
Speaker 1: That doesn't make any sense to me.
Speaker 6: A lazy Sunday.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's one thing one day, but I'm saying every day. If you are spending every day on whatever. Let's say for you, Sabrina, it's watching TikTok videos and you're spending every day, all day doing that thing, I just don't see how you don't call that an addiction. And I think a lot of people are probably going to agree with that, But let's see what you think. So set us a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com. One more story on the grab bag front here, and I believe this is confirmed. There's an info coming out that says House Republicans have announced that they are going to launch an investigation into the Bad Bunny super Bowl performance, alleging that Spanish lyrics were inappropriate for a television Let me just make sure that they're actually doing this.
Speaker 2: It's a real controversy.
Speaker 1: Now we knew it was that Randy Fine guy who I think that guy's nuts and some other person from Tennessee named Andy Ogeles and they're they're demanding an FCC pro But now this is suggesting that these folks are going to launch an investigation. It's going to be a pretty short investigation, Like, yeah, I haven't seen anybody, and by the way, I would have seen it by now. I would have seen it by now one percent. If there was Spanish curse words, people just said, here is Bad Bunny cursing in Spanish during the Super Bowl. This is an FCC violation and he should be fine for it.
Speaker 2: I haven't even video.
Speaker 4: I haven't even seen like because there's some curse words in Spanish that people argue over, like, well, this really means this, This means this, like the one that's supposed to mean bitch, but it's supposed to be a lot worse than bitch, and so they they argue over whether or not that's broadcast safe. But I haven't even seen that discussion happen over the Bad Bunny thing.
Speaker 1: You would one hundred percent see it, because if they really believed that this was happening, they would have gone back to the clips and they had been like, here is Bad Bunny performing at halftime.
Speaker 2: For the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Here's where he was cursing in Spanish because he didn't think we knew what he was saying, and he's trying to get away with this, And they would have done that already.
Speaker 4: And I was watching the halftime show surrounded by Spanish speaking people, and none of them are you think some of them displayed Some of them would have pointed out.
Speaker 1: Like whoa hey, oh best money, Yeah, it's one over on the white The songs had offensive or curse word or bad lyrics whatever, But he, like everybody else when you do a live performance, was changing the words in those songs. And you know that's true because you haven't seen any video evidence at all. Otherwise you've only seen people saying, oh, look at the lyrics. Here's the lyrics. Show me the performance where he's sang it. That's not out there. Nobody's doing that because it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: At one point, he even paused for censorship beeps to play while the video board behind him showed symbols that commonly denote swear words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's stupid. This is a dumb thing. What a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, move on, fine, Fine, find the next actual thing that you could complain about, because this ain't it.
Speaker 2: Maybe last thing here I did.
Speaker 1: I wanted to work this thing because I thought it was kind of cute. But there was a moment on Bloomberg Television which I know you both Sabrine and Celian watched very closely.
Speaker 2: It's on the favorites list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you might have missed this interview where it was on Bloomberg called Balance of Power in Rick Davis was being interviewed Bop of course love When this happens. He's doing a very serious interview about the Department of Justice this and uh an anti trust chief quitting and et cetera, et cetera. And this is a visual so I'll explain it to you guys. But as it's going on, his little granddaughter comes up. She puts her arm on his shoulder.
Speaker 2: Look at his eyes.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh god, he's trying to get through the interview. She's tapping on his shoulder out he just stiff farms her. This little girl might be like three years old or four years old or something, and she's such a cute. As she comes up to him, she puts her hand on his shoulder, taps him and then rubs on his shoulder. She doesn't know he's on television, and it just slowly stiff arms her right out of the pic see my letter, right on out of there, which is fun. It reminds me of I think it was one on the BBC, so cute.
Speaker 3: The babysitter like crawls in and tries to get the baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been so many of those. Those are son.
Speaker 4: You know, like everybody was doing different workflows and working from home and a lot of weird things happened during COVID cute.
Speaker 3: I love moments like that. Why doesn't Grandpa just be like, Hi, this is my granddaughter and them show her out of the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but bring her up on your lap and say, Okay, here's she is.
Speaker 3: Do you feel about this political thing we're talking about?
Speaker 1: Maybe she's interested in this Bloomberg chat, but no, he just stiff armed her.
Speaker 2: This was the class.
Speaker 1: This guy in an interview with where this little girl came in while he was doing the live interview on television.
Speaker 2: And she has so much attitude.
Speaker 1: What would it mean for dancing for the wider region?
Speaker 2: I think when to go Chod is just fullting. I mean ship, this shifting, shift, this, shoving her out of the way.
Speaker 5: The baby comes in. I would be surprised if they do two of them. The nanny comes sliding in the.
Speaker 3: Door, then like slowly pulls the baby that's on that walker thing.
Speaker 1: She was a car.
Speaker 3: She's so great.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Okay, all right, quick break. When we come back, we got a couple more segments for you before we wrap up the week, and we'll see what else is in the store. Plus get into your feedback that's coming up next to the news junkie. Trump is talking about the discombobulator, and I haven't heard.
Speaker 2: This if I'm honest.
Speaker 1: So let me give you a full picture of what's going on here if you're just tuning into the show. When the United States went in in this unbelievably badass ninja style mission to go into Venezuela and remove in the middle of the night the president of Venezuela who stayed in office even though he stole the election and was taking over Venezuela as a dictator and was hated by I would say the majority and then some of the Venezuelan people. When the US forces went in to get Maduro and his wife in the middle of the night and remove him to bring him back to the USA for trial, they were very, very successful, and there were even reports that some of the soldiers were We tried to fire back, but we couldn't.
Speaker 2: We were so outgunned.
Speaker 1: And there was some weapon that they were shooting at us, some mystery weapon the US forces were shooting at us that made us start bleeding from the noses and dropped to the ground as the US forces the otters if you will overwhelmed us and completely took over.
Speaker 2: But Trump chimed in later on and said, it's.
Speaker 1: Called the discombobulator, and he started naming this thing, which there's no affing way this is called the discombobulator.
Speaker 3: Now, that term, though, is from a movie or a TV show. I've heard it before, but in a cartoon sense.
Speaker 2: Mister President, give us the go to deploy the discombobulator.
Speaker 1: The discombobulators bring It sounds like something from ACME that Wiley Coyote would purchase from.
Speaker 6: It's along those lines.
Speaker 1: I don't think there there's no way. There's just no way that this is actually called the discombobulator. But Trump, he'd be winging it sometimes he does this kind of stuff, and then he'll say, if I say it enough times, then people who just call it this discombobulator. So he's talking about the discombobulator again.
Speaker 2: Let's listen.
Speaker 14: Unbelievable operation. But that was a smaller operation, but it was so precise.
Speaker 1: So incredible. Nobody thought a thing like that could happen.
Speaker 14: They even talk about the discombobulator because they never got a shot off. The Russian equipment didn't work, the Chinese equipment didn't work.
Speaker 1: Everyone's trying to figure out why it didn't work.
Speaker 2: Someday you gotta find out. But it didn't work.
Speaker 1: The discombobulator you can fly in a night. Get you ot at? I mean, I'm just I would love to go behind the scenes and see the actual top secret information. And if this thing is called the discombobulator, I'll eat my hat. There's no way. There's no way. There's some some like professional scientists, was like, we'll call it the discombobulator. That's what it's from.
Speaker 3: Discombobulates reference in several games. I just sent you from Levi's Light, which might be like a D and D type game. Sherlock Combs has a discombobulator fight, okay, a title song called the Discombobulate with Hans Zimmer for the movie soundtrack.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I think this is just an actual photograph Sabrina of the Discombobulator. That was the Yeah, what I want to look like?
Speaker 3: Make it with the blue glowing lights.
Speaker 1: It's got a handle on it. Squeeze the handle. The discombobulation begins, and then everybody bleeds from their noses.
Speaker 3: Too perfect.
Speaker 1: Minnesota is not going to be it coming Big House on YouTube says, I'll be getting discombobulated tonight. That's not the same thing. That's no, that's that's different. That is not the same thing. But we're just calling it the discombobulator. Now, I guess let's see what else.
Speaker 2: Do we have here.
Speaker 1: I've got a lot of clips that we haven't played over the years, not the years, I mean over the over the week. Oh. I wanted to bring this up real quick because I've been talking about how there's this obnoxious movement that just every time you see this rear a tuggy head, whack it down like whack the mole. Whenever people come out, it's always the same people, all right, Whenever people come out, it's always the very political people, and they tell you that silence is violence, or they tell you that you must have an opinion on this very specific topic of which you know nothing about, whether you have a platform or not a platform. Squash this idea that we need to have opinions. Everybody that celebrities, that everybody, that olympians, that everybody needs to have opinions on everything, whether it's what's happening in Gaza, which I trust about a fraction of one percent of the United States of America to talk about an issue like Gaza and actually know what the hell is going on, whether it's what's happening in Ukraine, whether it's you know, ice, whatever it is. The people who push for this crap, who push for forced politics, that's what I'll call it. Forced politics. They don't care about anything other than you agreeing with them. They don't want you to speak out on the topic. They want you to agree or they're going to come after you. It's like being silent isn't enough. They're bored by that, so they wait. They go, you must weigh in. Your silence is violence. All of this crap, absolute crap. And then when somebody does weigh in, if they don't say X, Y and Z exactly like they want, you don't pass the litmus test, well then they still go after you. It's all in an effort to strike fear in people and to welch free speech, to make you afraid of saying the wrong thing. Don't bow down to that pressure. Dismiss these losers, these political losers, at every turn. Kevin James says, when they asked him, why don't you weigh in on stuff like this? Kevin huh, Kevin, mister James, if you will, why don't you weigh in on this? Kevin James said, there are experts who know much more than I do. I'm just focusing on what I can do delivering a fun, heartfelt break from the craziness of the world, says Kevin James. Everybody carries themselves around all day long with a lot of stress. It's necessary in some ways, but you also need a break. You got to look around and find the good in things, otherwise you're just not going to function. And I want to make people have fun, have hope and get a nice escape to their dad. So, of course, when you look at the comments on things like this, it's generally a lot of people screaming.
Speaker 3: And you why don't are you talking about menass movie coming up?
Speaker 1: He is in something and I don't know, Sabrina if that was why did you see the picture of Kevin James alone at the super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Yes, with the flowers and crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he was like alone crying, Kevin James super Bowl. He's alone crying at the super Bowl and he's got here is He's got a bouquet of flowers and nobody's sitting around him, and I think this maybe is for that movie you're talking.
Speaker 2: About, Solomeo.
Speaker 1: Solomeo. Isn't it already out though?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 4: It's he gets left at the altar and then you know at the beginning of the movie and then you know, it's like Kevin James' own e Prey Love or something like that, and he finds themselves and yeah, okay, but but Kevin James is just absolutely unequivocally right about that.
Speaker 1: And the bigger problem, very quickly is this. I heard a lot of people get angry about US Olympians and they're like, look, the Olympians are getting political. The Olympians are weighing in with this and that. I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The point is two things. One, it's not about getting political. It's about forced speech. Agreeing with these people. They don't just want to hear what your opinion is. They want it to be theirs, exactly to the tea, or they will bury you. This is a game of fear.
Speaker 2: That's one.
Speaker 1: Number Two. Don't get mad at the Olympians, don't get mad at the celebrities. Don't get mad at all the folks on the red carpet and fashion and an award shows that are saying all these things. Get mad at all of the reporters that ask them the questions to begin with. That's where this comes from, the reporters who can't help themselves, the reporters who actually want to inject politics into everything and want to make sure you can't have a nice little breather on your weekend without somebody screaming gaza or whatever in your face, or ice or whatever. That's where the problem begins. That's where it could end. That's who ask these athletes. That's who ask the last of basketball players and the figure skaters and the Olympians and everybody that you get mad about and you say, shut up and dribble, or shut up and sing or shut up in whatever. All the time, it's somebody from the media who's pushing the question on them. And that's where this starts. All right, let me know what you think. Send a dispatch and we'll get some of these in final dispatches stories that Oh, by the way, two shorts on the same page.
Speaker 2: Too short.
Speaker 1: The rapper, he says, He says, a rapper should also, you know, keep politics to themselves. Now if they don't want to talk about politics. I think if they want to, you know whatever, you can have freedom of speech to do this. I don't like the four stuff, and I don't like the idea that they continue to try to push these people by asking those questions. Anyhow, Final Dispatches Stories that did make the cut, And today I learned to wrap everything up for a Friday in the week that is coming up next, something to use chunky. Final dispatches stories that didn't make the cut, And today I learned to wrap everything up for a Friday and the week. Let's see what we have time for. Did you guys see the video of this cop falling that's gone like megaviral? Oh my god, I'm see what we Yeah, there's this cop. I don't think they were at like a very serious police call. But it's this Tennessee police officer who fell off of a porch of this house. Okay, here it is.
Speaker 2: Here he is with his body came on.
Speaker 1: He rolls over like a turtle, he falls out the front door of this house. And then as he falls out of the front door of this house, he knocks another cop over right here.
Speaker 3: So much to this wall.
Speaker 1: Yep, it just means that like an unusually small porch. It's a little part.
Speaker 4: There's not a lot of walking room in between those chairs in the end of that pit.
Speaker 6: And it took him like five pregnant seconds to actually fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he fell like four times.
Speaker 1: He fell walking out, then he landed on his side, then he rolled, and he fell again, and he knocked another cop off the.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm done.
Speaker 7: He's just on the.
Speaker 1: Ground like a turtle. Other cops laughing at him. Twenty eight million viewsn't counting. Nice good work. There we go and anything else that we can work in. I don't know if we have a time for like a final dispatch situation. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Actually, actually no, we don't.
Speaker 1: We just don't. I would do it, but I'll save some of those for Monday if any of the dispatches really break through and mean something. Right now? Oh yeah, actually Tuesday, We're off on Monday. Okay, here we go, let's get the hell out of here. Let's do today. I learned the following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ. So don't get cocky. Now it's done, or what we call today it is saday I learned for a Friday, February thirteenth, twenty twenty six. Here we go. A stalker of this guy right here? Eminem Eminem. That's correct, a stalker of Eminem, possibly Stam, possibly some other guy committed three home invasions over a six year period. This guy did. In twenty nineteen, he broke into one of Eminem's former homes and told the new homeowner he was looking for his brother Marshall. In twenty twenty, he broke into Eminem's home and told Eminem he was there to kill him. Things I guess escalated. In twenty twenty four, he broke into Eminem's home again, and and round we got. They keep making plea deals and letting these people out. He was released on prol the last time a couple of years ago. He's been quiet for at least a little while. Taylor and Abraham Lincoln wrote a true crime mystery story, and he wrote a mystery story based on a real case. He defended one brother confessed to a murder and implicated his two siblings, but Lincoln exonerated them all when the victim was found alive in a nearby town suffering from amnesia. What a weird ass story, that is, but I guess I guess a true one, nonetheless from mister Abraham Lincoln. Today learned this lady right here, Aretha Franklin. That's right, Aretha Franklin. Her sister, Carolyn Franklin, was a songwriter who wrote multiple hits for her. In nineteen seventy five, Carolyn got her big break when producer Curtis Mayfield asked her to sing on the soundtrack for the film Sparkle. I knew that film. Isn't that carry is glitter? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably about the same.
Speaker 1: After hearing the incomplete songs, Aretha forced Carolyn off the project and replaced her. She never got the credit from Aretha. Let's see here, let's just move on to the last one. Do you guys see the new leader of North Korea? This is thirteen year.
Speaker 4: Ten year old girl. This is a villain story. Yeah, I mean, she looks like she's going to be a bad bitch. Like here's the next leader of North Korea. She's a teenager today, lar and this guy, oh, I'm stud.
Speaker 1: Correct. In college, lou Reid was expelled from the r OTC program. He got upset and uh he held an unloaded gun to his superior's head.
Speaker 2: Which I guess is frowned upon.
Speaker 1: They don't really like that happening, but lou Reid made music history by doing this song and some other ones. Thank you so much for hanging out. We'll see you again next week, same time, same place.
Speaker 2: Missed ending of the show.
Speaker 1: Get the podcast over at the NEEWS junkie dot com. We'll see you next time. Everybody, did do Do Do Do Do Do Do