Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again.
Speaker 3: We get right running back to.
Speaker 4: Get in on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts and now your host.
Speaker 1: Here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 5: Dodgers leaving San Diego feeling pretty good about themselves, taking two to three from the Padres. They lost one to nothing in the series opener on Monday and a pitcher's duel that Michael King got the best of the Dodgers. Dodgers had their opportunities in that game, could not get the big hit with runners in scoring position. Came back last night, came through with a five to four win thanks to a sack fly in the ninth inning from Andy Piez. Tonight's they get a run in the first inning on the very first pitch of the game, Show hey Otani a lead off home run. Then show hey o Tani the pitcher with five shutout Indians as the Dodgers take two.
Speaker 3: Of three in San Diego.
Speaker 5: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is our number we're often running here on Dodger Talk on this Wednesday night. I want you to be a part of the show at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. As the Dodgers now on this road trip are five and one. Remember they swept the Angels over the weekend, and the Angels swell, they continue to struggle while the Dodgers now have won seven of eight and now I've a one and a half game lead in the NL West before heading to Milwaukee this weekend to take on the first place Brewers who are atop the NL Central.
Speaker 3: But we heard it earlier.
Speaker 5: Steven and Rick mentioned it late in the game and then afterwards when they're talking about the win. If this was reversed and the Padres had taken two of three from the Dodgers, or the Padres had swept this series, all we'd hear about is this was a statement series, and this was a state for the Padres and being here for the long run with the Dodgers this season and not going anywhere, and this is going to be a race to the end.
Speaker 3: Between these two teams.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, very easily this could have been a Dodger three games sweep if not for Michael King's performance on Monday Night and the Dodgers bats being asleep for the first six innings, and then the Dodgers had golden opportunities in four straight innings and couldn't get a base it with the runner and scoring position or else. We're talking about a sweep in San Diego, and we're talking about the Dodgers having a two and a half game lead in the division, albeit it's a one and a half game lead in the NL West, but quite frankly, I think they leave San Diego with a lot of confidence. And now the Dodgers and Padres will square off at the end of June for a three game series in San Diego again. The Dodgers then will see them three games later for a four game series over the fourth of July weekend at Dodgers Stadium. So they'll see them seven times in the course of ten days coming up at the end of June. In the first couple of days of July, now that'll be a big stretch, and they were gonna see a lot of separation certainly if one team dominates the other in the standings. But for this Dodger team to leave having taken two of three, I'll tell you why this is big.
Speaker 3: For the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: First and foremost, they just keep the pressure on their little brothers in San Diego, the Padres. By taking two of three and now leaving with a one and a half game lead, That right there speaks for itself.
Speaker 3: Number two. The Dodgers last night really really looks.
Speaker 5: Good and coming back and getting the win in a five to four fashion over the Padres. And they did so by getting to Mason Miller. And quite frankly, they got to Mason Miller the night before. He had back to back walks in the ninth thing. The Dodgers could have gotten to the best pitcher in baseball then, but he escaped. But last night getting to Mason Miller and showing that he's human and they're not afraid of him. Andy Pott has his ninth pitch at bat, getting after Mason Miller's off speed pitches, not chasing and then attacking his fastball the way he did even at one hundred and two and one hundred and one miles an hour. Mason Miller is their best. The Dodgers saw their best and they got to it. The Dodgers offense the last three days has been pretty darn near good, except for the runners of scoring position on Monday Night and those opportunities they had in the seventh, eighth to ninth inning, But overall, the Dodgers a much better offensive team. The defense played pretty well the last three days. Tonight, two ground ball double plays to get out of innings. One was a huge one in the fifth inning with the bases loaded to one out, Fernando Tatis Junior grounds into a double play, and then a six to four to three double play again with runners on and Kyle Hurt on the mount in the eighth inning. Rodgers, in my opinion, took the best from the Padres and still come out of there winning two or three. And quite frankly, this is a Dodgers team that overall you could say, yeah, getting production, Freddy Freeman, a couple of doubles, Tascar Hernandez a home run tonight show Hey Otani a lead off home run.
Speaker 3: But when you pull back and look at this Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Team, you can make the case they're still not playing at the best of their capability. They're still not clicking on all cylinders, and to me, that's scary. For a team that's five and one on a road trip, winners of seven over their last eight overall, and now a game and a half lead in the division. It's pretty scary when you think about what they've done, how dominant they've been, with now thirty or twenty nine consecutive scoreless sittings for this Dodgers' bullpen. The starting pitching has been really good over this stretch as well, and they're still not really clicking one through nine offensively.
Speaker 3: That is scary. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball is brought to by Medello Midello, the mark of a fighter. Now, the Dodgers will get another test this weekend in Milwaukee, and quite frankly, this will be a big one going on the road, going to the Dome there in Milwaukee, which will probably be closed. I can't imagine it to be open with the retractable roof there. But this is a Brewers team that's won three in a row, eight of ten. They're in first place in the NLS and the the NL Central, so you're gonna have two first place teams squaring off on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and the Dodgers in that series will be sending out Justin Robleski, Roki Sasaki, and Yoshinobu Yamamoto. Now they acquire Eric Lauer, who is DFAED from the Toronto Blue Jays. He is with the team in San Diego, and as you found out last night on Dodger Talk, Dave Roberts announced that it'll be Tuesday next week when the Dodgers return home, that we will see the debut of Eric Lauer, as he'll get a start against the Colorado Rockies next week when they start that homestand out at the Ravine in particular next Tuesday night against the Colorado Rockies, and that now will bring this Dodger rotation back to his six man rotation, which they've become very comfortable with, guys getting one start a week with an added off night built in there. And the Dodgers have two off nights coming up, one Tomorrow and one next Thursday. And for those asking what we've seen now, Showyotani just pitch and not hit the last couple of starts. Why did Dave Roberts tonight of all nights against the Padres, elect to have him be two ways show again. Well, I don't think there needs any explanation outside of the leadoff home run to start off the game in the top half of the first any But if you pull it back a little bit, look bigger and look at the overall projection here of Showyotani and starts and whether or not he should hit and pitch it the same nights tonight. He could do it because tomorrow is a built in off day, and with that built in off day today of rest for Shoiotani, you got all day Friday to get back at it, and he'll be good to go for a three game series once again as a designated hitter in Milwaukee on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the number. We'll take a quick time out, we'll come back. We'll hear from Jose Mota, We'll get to your phone calls, and we will hear from Showyotani as well. What a night for show two way show homers in the first and then five shutout innings to lower his era to zero point.
Speaker 3: Seven three and the thing.
Speaker 5: This was his shortest outing of the season, only five innings.
Speaker 3: He's gone at least six in every other start this year.
Speaker 5: He goes five tonight, turns it over to what has been a fantastic bullpen, and the Dodgers shut out the Padres four to nothing, eight and six, six, nine eighty seven, two, five to seventy. We'll come back with your phone calls in Jose Moda and here from show Hey when we can turn continue here on Dodger Talk on an FI seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio m.
Speaker 4: AM five seventy LA Sports. Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talks. Search AM five seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too.
Speaker 4: Come find me Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Trying to lead off and help his own cause. The first pitch from basque Is Tandy swings and sends it high in the air to deep right center.
Speaker 7: Marrowback that the wall head. He's gone, Show hey. Old Tony mauls the first pitch from Randy Vasquez, a lead off home run one nothing Dodgers in a hurry.
Speaker 3: You just don't dare take your eyes off of him.
Speaker 5: One pitch a one nothing lead on the solo home run for show, Hey Otani in the top of the first show, Hey the Pitcher, five shutout Indians. Dodgers shut out the Padres tonight four to nothing out at Petco Park. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Just visit AMPHI seventy la sports dot com with the keyword home run into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream it is leadoff home run at number twenty one as a Dodger for Showeotani tye in in with Jack Peterson for third all time, as Davey Lopes and Mookie Betts the only two above them.
Speaker 3: Let's check in with Jose.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mogas.
Speaker 5: All right, Jose, what do you make of the fact that the Dodgers take two with three and really I think set the tone getting to Mason Miller the last two nights. They break through last night getting him with that run, and they took their best shots from the Padres, but they're gonna leave San Diego with a bigger lead than they came in with.
Speaker 8: Well, mission accomplished in terms of playing better baseball, in terms of taking momentum from the Angels series into this series and knowing that things are not going to be as easy. You saw the first game, great job at Yava molt to one hit. That's it, Miguel Ido, our home run. But I think, you know the whole environment, I think the players feed off of it. I truly believe that when it comes down to see a Powders team that is the worst hitting team collectively average wise in the Big Leagues team and to say, well, why are they so close to the Dodgers is because they pitched so well. The bullpen you got to get to somehow, which they did thankfully starting yesterday. But it's the fact that you got to pitch well against them and have guys that they needed to be quiet, stay quiet the case of my childecause of TASiS Bogus and those guys. They came out here with a great planning studying with show Hey tonight. But you know, Showy paid attention to a lot of things in the first couple of games. That's what it saw. A lot of sleepers already in counts, but as a team overall, you can see the focus without making a bigger deal of the series of what it was to that's so focused the entire time just going through whoever it is and play better baseball.
Speaker 5: Jose, you are around show Hey when he came to the big leagues, you know, with the Angels and broke through and you know him a long time. He doesn't show a lot of emotion on the field. But after that six four to three double play that he got to tease on a sweeper as you mentioned, to ground into the double play and in the threat there in the fifth inning and keep the Dodgers up three to nothing, he said let's go and was fired up. I had never seen that before.
Speaker 3: Out of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's a different guy when he's on the mound. Part of those things that Dave I said was always asking me about. So you know, you saw him pitch for an entire season with the Dodgers without what you saw him hit without pitching, and I'm like, be ready for another guy. He's a different personality. It's like he gets transformed. He gets irritated when he doesn't do well, when he gets hit. He does not want to let the team down, himself down on the fans down. But that's where the emotions come out because he knows that he's at he's trying to be perfect out there execution wise, pitch selection, and that's what the emotions are so great that he's not hiding that. It seems like for a time, you know, when he first came up, he was kind of very guarded with his emotions and people were like around, like, dude, just let it go. My trell the Albert pools like, dude.
Speaker 1: Just let it fly.
Speaker 8: Enjoy the big. Big is a long journey.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be as guarded.
Speaker 8: Enjoy the fact that you do two things, and at least if you don't show a whole lot on the offensive side, let it rip out there on the mound when you have something to celebrate what you saw once again here tonight.
Speaker 5: Tonight we also saw the Dodgers' bullpen and Guardo Enriquez a scoreless inning like trying in a scorelessening. Kyle Hurt becomes now a high leverage guy. For Dave Roberts a scoreless inning, he got helped out by a double play ball. We'll climb on one, two, three, ninth inning. Twenty nine consecutive scoreless innings. Now for this Dodgers' bullpen longest since nineteen eighty eight, and they're doing it without the guy they went this last offseason to get as their closer and Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 8: Is that something? Think about this. We went back to last homestand when the bullpen had to cover four and a third six innings, four innings, then go back to Friday, nine innings and they're just going out there and the more they pitched, the better they up. But let's keep it word they're at right now though, because at this point last season, we're all concerned about the usage of that bullpen because the starters we might give you enough innings. You know, executions number one. These guys, even though they have great arms, are not chasing punch outs. And Dave Roberts, Mark pryor Connor McGinnis all emphasized the first batter. Concentrate on the first batter. And by the way, also when you come in with the hairmeet runners, go out and do the job. For the guy in front of you, and just make sure that you make your best pitch, put the best effort, and don't forget about one more thing. Bullpen. Put the defense to work. It's very easy tim to come out of the bullpen to think it's all on me, it's about me and my arm and getting punch outs. Oh no, sir, go out there and use the best defense that you have, which is the best in the National League. By allowing them to do the work right here around the zone, you get the first battle out. A lot of good things are going to happen, and mainly the guys are going out there getting a hit and finishing off hitter so many ways.
Speaker 5: Well, get ready for lots of brought worse is the Dodgers head to Milwaukee tomorrow start a three game series on Friday. Don't look now, the Brewers first place to top the NL Central.
Speaker 1: Good team.
Speaker 8: Good team. And if you look at the starters coming up as the Dodgers go, who are these guys? But somehow Pat Murphy hasn't playing the baseball. They put the ball in play, They tested you out, and believe me, they're gunning for you because they know what happened last October, even though during the regular season last year, you know what happened is the Brewers gating the Dodgers in six games. But a different story now and those fans are not go. Let the Douaries forget. And more than anything, is another first place team, another great tests in which the dollu is not carry momentum, and also another ballpark with the ball is going to carry quite well. And the way they approach the a bats year of the series very encouraging to see the offense breaking out. I expect a lot of scoring for the Dodgers in Milwaukee, no doubt.
Speaker 5: About an American family field, whether the top is opener and closed, that ball will travel. Jose save travels and we'll talk to you in a couple of days. A right there, he goes Jose Mota checking in as the Dodgers will stay the night in San Diego, head to Milwaukee tomorrow and then a free Friday Saturday Sunday series in Milwaukee against the first place Brewers, and he mentioned the three starters for Milwaukee. Who are these guys, Logan Henderson, Robert gass Of the left hander, and Brandon Sprote, the right hander. We'll go on Sunday against Justin Robleski, Roki Sasaki and Yoshinobu Yamamoto. All right, let's go out to the phones. Thank you for being patient. Angelo. First up, Welcome to Dodger Talk on this Wednesday night, after the Dodgers take care of business and shut out the padres four to nothing.
Speaker 9: Hi doing Angelo, Hey youc thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Sure, what's up?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 9: First time Log one listener originally grew up in La moving down with a fan in sam Creta, the Long Beach, now living Sandy's a question for you. Are he even a better city to be a Dodger fan than San Diego?
Speaker 3: U San Francisco?
Speaker 5: But no, I think being in San Diego it kind of feels like La. You got all the comforts and foods of La down in San Diego, and certainly Dodger Stadium South.
Speaker 3: Now they're at pet Go Park. No better place. You're right about that.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we can get that going Dodger Stadium South.
Speaker 1: I'd love that, right on.
Speaker 3: Angela.
Speaker 5: Good to hear from you in mine, man. Thank you for checking in and appreciate the phone call. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy as the Dodgers tonight shut out the Padres. It had a little bit of a different atmosphere tonight at pet Go Park. Last night, I know it was almost sold out, but it was still loud in what was a Padres lead late that got away from them. Mason Miller gave it up in the ninth inning and the Dodgers went it five to four.
Speaker 3: But tonight a little bit more of a subdued crowd.
Speaker 5: And I know they try to keep Dodger fans out of pet Go Park, but there wasn't the electricity in the air going into this game, and certainly it got deflated right away on the first pitch of the game when shoey Otani took Randy Vasquez deep for a home run.
Speaker 3: But Randy Vasquez talking.
Speaker 5: To Padre people going into the series, they thought Michael King to start the series and in Ravasquez in the third game were their best opportunities against the Dodgers, and they kept saying after the last night, well, you know, well Vasquez is different. You know he's been pitching really well this year, off to a great start here in twenty twenty six, Uh, Dodgers will run into him on Wednesday, and of course shoe Otani, they hope to get after him, but as it is, they got to Vasquez on the first pitch of the game.
Speaker 3: They chased Vasquez.
Speaker 5: He ends up giving up three runs and the Dodgers shoe Otani goes five shutout innings, his shortest start of the year, but the fifth time this year he didn't allow it earned run, lowering that err nowt to zero point seven to three. He had nine up, nine down. He had a one two three first, one two three, second, a one.
Speaker 3: Two three third.
Speaker 5: He was working on a no hitter, a perfect game through three innings, again only innings, but then Fernando Toutis Junior a lead off walking the fourth. Two batters later, Gavin Sheets a single in the fourth changed things and he got out of it though in the fourth inning. But a one two three first, second, and third inning. You think, okay, what is that about twenty seid pitches, maybe thirty pitches. It was fifty two pitches for show hey Otani. Through three innings he was going deep into counts, but getting outs, which is the most important thing, and keeping traffic on the base pass no free walks, no passes to the San Diego Padres in those first three innings, got out of it in the fourth inning, but again, a huge ground ball double play from Fernando Tatis Junior on a sweeper with the bases loaded gets him to ground into a six four to three double play. And I think it was well said by Rick Monday right after it happened. If that ball's not hit as hard as it is off the end of the bat, but right at Mookie Betts at shortstop, or he was positioned, if it's hit a couple of feet to the glove side left, if it's hit to the right and he's got a backhanded all they're getting is a force play at second and a run is gonna score, but a second out will be made.
Speaker 3: That's it. But that ball was.
Speaker 5: Hit directly at Mookie Betts. All he had to do was turn throw it a second to Hasan Kim who made a quick turn at second to go to first and get Fernando Tatiz Junior by a step.
Speaker 3: To get out of the inning.
Speaker 5: So perfectly placed, perfectly positioned, six four to three double play, and it keeps the Padres off the board. Just great execution by the Dodgers there. In the fifth inning. And what can you say about this Dodgers bullpen. Everybody's contributed. I mean you talk about the guys who have been called up, the guys who have been sent down, the guys who have come in and pitched and helped out this Dodgers team when you don't know their names. I mean, let's go back to Sunday and Chase McDermott coming in and pitching in the Dodgers ten to one win. I mean, these are names you're gonna lose and forget quickly, but have been big part of this Dodger Now twenty nine consecutive scoreless innings, Kyle Hurt has turned into a really, really good closer and reliever for the Dodgers. Kyle Hurt, a guy who's been hurt and finally healthy now is continuing to stack up and put up zeros. One inning pitch tonight, no runs, a couple of hits, a strikeout. Now eleven innings pitch, he's got ten strikeouts and a season era under one. Kyle Hurt now becoming a guy that Dodgers can rely upon coming out of the bullpen. They just keep throwing them at you, They just keep coming in waves. These Dodger pitchers. Ben Casparius hurt, but he's been solid the last two years. Jack Dreyer, left hander coming out of the bullpen, Justin Robleski Morphy now back into a starting pitcher, has been so big out of the bullpen for the Dodgers. These arms just keep coming at you. And if you can add Kyle Hurt now as another right handed reliever that you can call upon in a high leverage situation to go along with the Blake Trining, I mean, talk about two arms now you can choose from Blake Trina was at one point the only right handed, high leverage reliever the Dodgers had.
Speaker 3: Then then you give the ball now to Edwin Diaz. Well, he's hurt. So Kyle hurt Now.
Speaker 5: Comes in and steps into a role that he could pitch late in the game and get you out and put zeros on the scoreboard. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy show Hey Otani two ways, show Homer's tonight to lead off the game. Then five shutout innings, four strikeouts, picks up the win, lowers at e R to zero point seven to three. Let's go back out to pet Goo Park. Here's showy Otani postgame with the.
Speaker 11: Media, say, when you look at how you were able to grind through these five innings of work today, how did you find just you felt on the mound and navigating through their lineup? So sure.
Speaker 6: On this company.
Speaker 10: To mother, Yeah, a lot of uncertainty coming into this outing because the field wasn't great and so the results were good, but you know, as you saw the the you know, the process wasn't that great.
Speaker 11: When it comes to that uncertainty, where do you think that came from? Is that something you felt during his bullpen ahead of the game or was that something you felt just coming into the start in general?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's just overall feel.
Speaker 10: You know, I have a pretty high standard, uh in terms of performing, and so it didn't really match.
Speaker 2: Sure, here, we saw a lot of emotion out of you after you got tattoos the ground into that double play to end the fifth inning?
Speaker 1: Where did that.
Speaker 6: All come from?
Speaker 2: And was that a peak to how much competitive spirit you have inside of you?
Speaker 10: Just get me?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 8: Not so this.
Speaker 1: No mind, I.
Speaker 6: Don't find.
Speaker 10: I love the results, but I walked the guy before and that wasn't quite exactly what I wanted to do there, so you know, just the results were good.
Speaker 5: All right, there's will Ireton a long way show, Hey O Tani, what a night for two ways show the hitter and the picture getting it done in a shut out win as the Dodgers shut out the Padres four to nothing. We mentioned earlier, he is sixth in the list of starting pitchers since nineteen twenty to have an ERA under one through eight starts into his season. Well, just to kind of pull it back a little further, here, show hey Otani and his zero point seven to three ERRA joints Fernando Valenzuela with a sub one er through eight games. Only two Dodgers starting pitchers have done that since nineteen twelve. Fernando Valenzuala in nineteen eighty one, that magical start with a zero point five zero RORA through the first eight games. And show Aotani now with a zero point seven to three ERRA through eight games to start the season. I mean, what a start for show? He any homers tonight? Just when you thought he couldn't do it all in one game, moved it wrong. And how about in a big game. This isn't Rockies on a Wednesday night. This isn't a day game against the Seattle Mariners. This is a Wednesday night start, final game of a three game series at pet Goo Park in San Diego. And Show Ao Tani homers and goes five shutout innings. Obviously, the pitch count got up there with eighty eight pitches, but you felt like that was enough from Show and turn it over to this Dodger's Bullpen, which has been fantastic. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day for a heart pounding action and new experiences. Visit Santa Anita dot com slash Events and they got all the great events happening in this Memorial Day weekend out at Santa Anita, including racing on Monday. All right, well that's gonna do it for Dodger Talk on this Wednesday night. Thank you for being a part of the show. Thank you for listening to no matter where you're at. Thank you for podcasting for all those out there on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to Coliny for all his help tonight. Great to hear from show Eotani. If you missed any of the show again podcasted on the iHeartRadio EPP wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 3: We're back at it with off Night Dodger Talk tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Hoping to talk to James Timms the Third, who is having a great year in TRIPLEA, Oklahoma City, just waiting to get called up, win ready for this Dodger's team. So we'll hear from James tims to Third tomorrow night on Dodger Talk at your full.
Speaker 3: Farm report as well. Dodgers back at it on Friday in Milwaukee to start a three game series against the Brewers. Morogo Cassino.
Speaker 5: Dodgers on deck will get a start at three thirty, first pitch at four forty. Until then, have a great, safe rest of your Wednesday nights. Dodgers beat the Padres and it feels so good with a four.
Speaker 3: Nothing win in San Diego. So everybody
Speaker 1: Play