Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 2: Well, well, well here we are.
Speaker 3: It's sterling and Donna Deve for Scott Sloan on a wet, windy Friday, unusually weather whip lash kind of weekend. Almost you can almost see and feel the weekend.
Speaker 1: Donna, Well, it's warm.
Speaker 4: That's really all I care about at this point. It's sixty two right now.
Speaker 3: Holy small, it's bewildering. Up is down, Down is up? A light as dark and dark as well light. There's a lot going on. We have a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time. The light stuff, the good stuff, the fun into the weekend. Kevin Carr, fat guys at the movies, sober, get go and substack about ten thirty five, waiting on U see health. We should have a doctor hopefully depending on availability. Talking about issues with the new dietary guidelines and some other stuff going on too. But the elephant in the room which has been all over the news the last couple of days is the thing in Minneapolis and the shooting with the woman who was in the suv. In the engagement with ICE and other federal authorities as they were working to handle immigration stuff. There and protests continuing. It's an ugly circumstance. I guess the question is because I think most everyone, even if you've been trying to avoid the video or just the heaviness of the conversation and what's going on, most people have seen the video and have an opinion of how that shooting went down.
Speaker 2: Legitimately, maybe not so well.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, as anything else in this country right now, we're super divided in what looks to be either the renee Nicole Good running down an ICE agent or running away from that's depending on I mean, there's been probably twenty different angles. They've slowed it down, they've sped it up. There's a ton of different angles for the video, and everybody seems to have a different opinion on it.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're seems.
Speaker 4: Pro Ice pro Trump pro, then you're going to see that this woman was trying to run down the agent. If you're not, possibly you're looking at, uh, the woman who was trying to flee as the ICE agents approached her car and trying to open up her car door. So, I mean, everybody has an angle and what they see about it. It's tragic no matter what happened.
Speaker 1: No matter what you view.
Speaker 4: As this, it is an awful situation and I really hope that this kind of violence doesn't continue.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a couple things. First, I'm surprised we haven't in a way seen more of it. And you know what's bewildering, and you said it at the outset of your comments is that you can have people look at the same exact video at the same time, with the exact same angles. And as you mentioned, affiliation of party or support for some authority is somehow how one assesses a video. And I try to separate myself from any position other than looking at the facts of what is in front of me, and that seems to not necessarily.
Speaker 2: Be possible for a whole lot of people.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, there's going to always be your perceptionist reality.
Speaker 1: We say this all the time.
Speaker 4: And if you think you know that that these ICE agents are shouldn't be on this on the city our city streets with weaponry like that, or whether you view them as protecting, uh, the citizens from illegal immigrants that are dangerous drug dealing and what's the you know, they're crime written, they're there to protect absolutely.
Speaker 1: There has been talk.
Speaker 4: About how the ICE agents there, They're training has been limited, and the budget is exploded in the hundreds of billions of dollars to put these ice agents on the streets. So you've got these ice agents that aren't as trained as military and or our officers. And then they've got this weaponry that you know, is anything that you've seen in war, almost on our city streets. It's a little it can get a little sticky and tricky.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is that here in commentary, whether it's Fox News or ABC or CBS. And I've spent too much time in the last couple of days observing all of it and watching video and social media and everything else, and I try to start from just objectivity, but hearing police trainers, law enforcement, and I don't know how it falls if it's a party line thing or otherwise. But former one of the former heads of Homeland Security, another one involved in Justice Department in the past administrations, said the first shot that that officer fired was justifiable, arguably, and then the other two is what he would have to answer for because at that point the threat had stopped. And then you know the acceleration, which I think was after she had already been shot in the head. But there's a couple of things there. If you're in the heat of the moment and you're in fear of your life, you know, And I'm no police, although I have friends that are and learn how to shoot. Actually one of the county Sheriff's gun ranges years ago, the guy did a detail work that ran that and what I was taught is that you shoot until the threat has stopped. But the other thing that has come up is the fact that the discussion has been do you put yourself in harm's way by being in front of or behind a vehicle that could be moving and targeting you, or do you stay on the side where you can sort of you know, look at that and you can look at it in just arguably all the way around. So let's open up the phones, because I think it's a difficult thing for a lot of people. It's a stomach turning situation. You know, you can support the police and still say that maybe that was a fishy shooting. You can say it was a justified shooting and still support you know, civil protests that are non violent, that are exercising rights and so forth. One of the other things that.
Speaker 1: It's really.
Speaker 3: In a weird thing, and it just came out with the court decision is saying that these federal authorities dealing with immigration, border control, ICE, et cetera, in communities around the country, as they go to enforce and remove people that are here illegally, apparently now have been given the okay to not have to visually identify themselves, that they can continue to wear a mask. And I just have to ask this question of just anyone, with all the talk of the violence and the the unrest and you know, people from foreign lands and the dangers that we all apparently are navigating on a regular basis, that I don't really feel unsafe at all, which is really unsettling in this I really wonder if someone rolls up in you in your neighborhood, blinking lights on a vehicle or otherwise, but no other insignias and no identifying, you know, a badge or identification on uniform or on that vest or on that hat, and they're coming up on you. Do you try to flee? Do you try to stay? Do you trust that it's law enforcement?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Why are they not working in tandem with local authorities also? And in some cases they are, But it becomes a very challenging thing for those people on the street doing the job and people in the community who are just trying to live aside from anything that may be interfering with the the enforcement that's going.
Speaker 2: On or otherwise.
Speaker 3: And you know, and the whole other thing will get into later, which is here locally, Donna, which is the talk allegedly of apparently conversation of settling with those family that lost their kid in an officer involved shooting after they hoisted a car allegedly and had that firearm. So let's take some calls, give you a chance. Hey, that's Friday, seven eight hundred, the big one, Sterling and Donnade and for Scott Sloan, let's get to uh Mark firt and we've got Bob first, then Mark and room for you on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Bob? Hey, good morning?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: I think I'm all right? What's up?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: This Minneapolis thing, you know, like you said, we all got opinions. I just think a lot of you have to look back and see the pattern of this uh this woman and she was like many you know, she'd been supposedly following the ice people around throughout the day carassing them, which that's everybody's right, you know, but was it justified.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's a fifty deal. I would I would probably agree and say yes, uh yes. I am a Trump supporter. He's trying to get these illegals out of the country, you know, to save all of US taxpayers money and for whatever reason. Uh, there's many in this country that want to support that type of activity, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and we're the we're the ones.
Speaker 7: That ultimately pay for It's the citizens of the United States with with tax increases. Minnesota, Somalia's I worked with Somalia's and uh years ago, I kind of I kind of wondered my own you know, the company dealt airlines, they support them big time, and they they had more rights than the US workers. It's it's insane. But I'll listen to your comments. I have a great day.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thanks Bob.
Speaker 3: I don't know how anybody has more rights than anybody else here.
Speaker 4: But well, this all you thing in Minnesota is fraud. I mean it's well, yeah, it's horrible, inexcusable. And what Bob said too, I don't think anybody wants criminals rolling roaming streets criminals except for the criminals maybe, but I mean, yeah, so, I mean I'm all for cleaning up the streets and getting criminals off too.
Speaker 1: Should she be taunting ice agents? Should know? Can there be peaceful protests? Yes?
Speaker 3: Should she have been shot in the head three times again trained to stop the threat? But the question is was he in harm's way at the time? And that's for the investigation, and you know, and heat of the moment, instantaneous situation. I've never had a traumatic experience in the moment and wonder about my political affiliation or otherwise. If I'm afraid for my life, I'm afraid for my life, and I'm going to defend myself. If I'm looking to go to the grocery store and get, you know, some Greater's Black raspberry chip ice cream, I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: I've never gone. What political leanings do to you?
Speaker 5: Have?
Speaker 3: I like somessert right now? But apparently that is the angle in the view by which a lot of people navigate everyday life, which is pretty interesting. Mark, you're with Stirling and Donna Dee and for Scott Sloan, what about this Minneapolis thing? We got to Fred and James and others up after you.
Speaker 8: Hey, yeah, thank you for taking my call. I agree with Bob, I agree with all the things that you have said, but I want to add two words to this discussion. Ashley Babbitt. Ashley Babbitt was a peaceful protester on January sixth, two thousand and twenty one, and she was behind a door and she was shot through that door. Here's an Army veteran who was shot through this door, and the left because they didn't like that protest. Okay, that and we're going to know the name of the police officer who killed this lady. And Minnie, what was the name of the police officer who killed Ashley Babbit on January sixth, twenty twenty one?
Speaker 3: Are you asking me? I don't know that name right off the top of my head. I'd have to look at it. But here's my question. Identifying the shooter in this situation. I don't know necessarily is the basis or the point of the discussion. But I get what you're saying to a point. The only reason we know is I understand it in Minneapolis as a result of it is because he had already been in an engagement where he was dragged for some period of time and had that arm ripped open to some extent. I think it was like thirty stitches or something like that. The babbit thing's a different thing also because they were illegally inside the capitol and were basically under assault trying to protect lawmakers. So I think there are some that would argue that perhaps more force could have been and maybe should have been used January sixth, compared to obviously a different circumstance entirely on the streets of Minneapolis. But I get what you're saying, Maury. I appreciate the call of Fred. You're with Sterling and Donnade and for Scott Sloan on seven hundred wlw HA.
Speaker 9: Yes Sling, Good morning to you, sir, morning.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 9: I just think that we need to adhere to authority. If you run from a police officer, what's going to happen to you? But more likely is is you're gonna get shot. If you're running from a police officer, from authority, you're gonna get shot. The country doing the hell and the hand baskets.
Speaker 3: Are aren't there like certain parameters though, if you're running from police, if you're considered a threat in different authorities, different jurisdictions, different training. But generally, if someone's in a vehicle and they're not targeting anyone else, as I understand it, in most cases, the idea is they'll get them later, they've got a plate, they can pull them over, et cetera. In that circumstance, just fleeing from police without there being an immediate threat for life in survival or serious harm is not quite the same as just fleeing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this is a little bit of a different situation, Fred, but I agree with you that if you are running from police, you should adhere to authority. If someone gets pulled over, you answer the questions the officer is asking you. This is a completely different situation.
Speaker 3: I think it's a horrible one, it really is, and you put those officers that are on the street trying to do their job in a bad spot. What I'm really concerned about is this moves ahead because it's ratcheted up. It's not ratcheting down. It's not a de escalation at us. Still, what I'm concerned about as well, and I think there are some people who probably are pretty geeked up and excited and may be happy about the fact that things are a little bit more hostile on our streets and in our communities, which is an unfortunate circumstance.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 3: We would hope that we'd be in a better place rather than a worse place overall. The other thing that's come up, and a lot of people question, is without reviewing the evidence and seeing exactly what had happened, we had the president, had the Vice president, who there's been some conflict about assessment of the situation. There had a homeland security as well as she was making her tour, and then then up I think she got to Minneapolis too, that they were already condemning, marginalizing, and somehow framing this in one way without actually knowing and in fact misstating what the video had shown. Regardless of the angle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I believe Christine nom said she was a domestic terrorist and President Trump said the officer in question was in the hospital dealing with injuries from this. So both of those things like didn't feel good, didn't weigh in with the community either.
Speaker 3: But I mean, it's a real serious situation. I would hope that most people reasonable and rational would say in the middle of a circumstance around you where there's a police activity taking place and they're directing you. One would hope that they're trying to direct you to safety or out of harms way, unless you're the target, and that you're going to pay attention to what they say and try to avoid the circumstance at all costs to not harm law enforcement or interfere with what their official activities are. And too, because you want to protect your ass. I mean, you don't want me to be bad to happen to you either.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, listen, who knows what, for instance, I would have done if I'm in a car and armed, armed ice agents.
Speaker 1: Come over to try and open my door.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a certain level of I got to get out of here, kind of a thing that takes over your body.
Speaker 1: I would think, So this.
Speaker 4: Is just an it's just an uncomfortable situation, and I think I fear this is going to get worse before it gets better.
Speaker 2: I hope that's not the case.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a it's an ugly circumstance, it really is, and we'll see how it plays out. But no one should be targeting law enforcement, and the worry is, of course.
Speaker 2: If.
Speaker 3: If they move ahead with what now the court is said they're okay to do. They don't have to have any identification, they don't have to necessarily have anything to let you know that they or not random hoodlums on the street. That's going to be confusing for everyday citizens looking to defend themselves. That's my concern.
Speaker 4: There's no badge number, there's no there's nothing that will ident including their you know face masks.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you adhere to that.
Speaker 3: It's a tough scenario. Your chance to sound off on this, and a whole lot of other ground to cover. We got a doctor talking about new dietary guide lanes. Apparently the food triangle has been turned upside down. I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear about that.
Speaker 3: We'll find out what the deal is with that coming up after ten o'clock when you see health also issues with the flu which is still going around. I'm healthy, I'm fine, I'm hydrating.
Speaker 1: And COVID too few my friends have it.
Speaker 3: Everything's great, everything's just fine. We'll get James as well straight away. Your nine thirty report. It's Stirling and Donna Dee and the broadcast Sheriff Dave Keaton keeping us on time in line as well for Scott Sloan on a Friday on the Nation station Hall of the Red seven hundred WLW Scott Sloan Show for a Friday Sansusloany. It's Stirling and.
Speaker 2: Donna d hanging out.
Speaker 3: Glad you're along, coming up after ten yet you see Health's Family Medicine Doctor Chris lewis gonna join us try to break down the upside down now a dietary triangle from the government.
Speaker 2: I just remember they taught us all that stuff when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: No, we grew up on it.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, ever and all that, and now it's it's different. So we'll figure out what the difference means if it actually is healthy. Was the other dietary plan killing us and we didn't know? Maybe that's why we're all fats lost trying to take drugs to get skinny, I don't know. And then also an update on the flu and every apparently there's a lot of people with a lot of snot.
Speaker 2: But it's true.
Speaker 4: No, everybody is so sick this year. It's bizarre, that's what happens. So you just totally shake it off and do well. And Kevin Carr silver Gek on the substack going to talk new movies and I know, big award show weekend for those who care about that. I love movies and stuff, so talk about Yeah, it's a big party. That's when all those movie types go get liquored up and stuff. And then they go on stage and they get the speeches, the long speeches.
Speaker 3: Yes, and diatribes about stuff, and then the beginning of the week everyone will complain about it will be great.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: Something that is bewildering to me. And with all the other talks around the country about Minneapolis and Portland and shootings and immigration stuff. Ken Cobert, who of course is a FOP president here in town, reports have been this morning apparently, and I find this difficult to believe, if for no other reason, it seems unfathomable to me. Donna, if you remember it's gone back aways now. On the first of May, there was a shooting involving Cincinnati police and Ryan Hidden. He was killed by law enforcement a teenager with a gun, allegedly in a heisted boosted car. I think that was confirmed, but let's just go with allegations, I don't need a lawsuit. Fleeing from police and a law enforcement came up on them, exiting the car with gun in hand. Law enforcement discharged weapon, defending themselves, and this young man ended up debt.
Speaker 2: We know.
Speaker 3: Subsequently, his father, in a fit of rage or crazy, temporary insanity, whatever it is that the defense attempt is on this particular situation, went out and effectively targeted around University of Cincinnati on a detailed duty Hamilton County Deputy Sheriff Larry Henderson, who ran him down and killed him. I'm assuming I guess you'd call it retaliation or something, right, That's what it was. Okay, So the allegation, yeah, and he's dealing with that. That's in the courts and being navigated. But the talk has been that apparently the city, in some fashion which they have denied by the way, that they are working towards a settlement with the family, supposedly as some type of payoff Ford. This, let me just say, is horrific, a nightmare scenario, Donna, that that thing happened on the first of May. You got a car full of young people in a heisted vehicle, allegedly fleeing from police in a pursuit in this situation, after they had been found, then they flee the car, and this kid had a weapon in his hand. And if you're in law enforcement and you're in that heat of the moment situation, it looks like a clean shooting, a justifiable shooting in the defense of oneself. Here, I don't know why anyone would entertain the idea of paying off the family, as if somehow it was not a good shooting. And will only mean when I say good shooting, not that it was good that had happened, but it was a justifiable defense by law enforcement to protect himself others around in the community at large. If this person is fleeing in that situation with a firearm in hand, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and we talked about this.
Speaker 4: It's like, Okay, you're you're allegedly in a stalling car, police pull you over, and you get a weapon and you pointed at the officer.
Speaker 1: What is the officer left to do?
Speaker 2: Handle yourself? You have to protect yourself.
Speaker 4: That's that is a defensible shooting. It's like you said, it's a horrible thing, but so why would there be a payoff for that?
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: So I mean, and here's the thing that's so weird to me. One if they were actually doing it, the fact that it got out because the FOP sort of you know, you got hint of it and wanted to mention it right and get it out there. Maybe the politics of it, to change the optics, to maybe put the kaibash on it. But it is bewildering that that would even be entertained. You have a situation that there's heart hardly and more glaringly obvious. At the time there were everybody wanted to come out immediately. I said, look, just wait until the dust settles, look at the investigation, look at the video and see it. And as it came out, it was being clear. But every time there was something else out that as horrible as the outcome is, this cop did what was necessary to end what was a threat in that shit well.
Speaker 1: And the father.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is a clear case of something horribly going wrong and then continuing down the road of horrible behavior. I mean, I get that there's gonna be pain. There's gonna be pain if your child is is shot and kilt. I mean that that's gonna be pain. But running down the police officer that it just seems like this whole circle of bad behavior that is just getting any nobody, everybody nowhere. It's terrible, terrible, another terrible story. We're talking about them this Friday mornings. Strelling's not our fault. It's the news. Yes, I mean, and we'll have light fun stuff too. But if I've won three seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred, the big when you can talk back the iHeartRadio app. I'm just what I'm curious about is how I just I can't believe it's even possible that that How would that even get to the point where that, yeah, maybe we settle I don't. I can't believe that that's actually what was being discussed or is being discussed or worked out in some fashion, because I don't see in any way at all, whatsoever where anyone reasonably, irrationally can't look at that and say it was a justified shooting, horrible disastrous outcome for that young man in the family. Donna, But no, how about you don't have a gun in the car, and you don't steal a car, and you don't you know, you put yourself in these really bad positions. I think it was Bob earlier on the caller earlier who said, you know, you you have to adhere to law and enforcement and authority, and if you're going to act like that, there's going to be some repercussions no matter what, whether you get caught later, you're in jail, you do this, you do that?
Speaker 1: I mean, would the what if.
Speaker 4: He surrendered and went to jail for you know, firearm and sealing the car would have been a lot better than the situation that he got himself in pointing at a police officer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, you've got a fleeing seemingly fellon with the firearm going. It would have been moving through a neighborhood in desperation. What are they going to do with that weapon if it's not in that situation just coming at law enforcement officer and in retribution or fear whatever else it is not thinking how about don't boost the car?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How about stop when they tell you? How about get out with your hands out. You've probably seen enough videos to know how to handle that. Stop situation and go to court, live another day to deal with it. Don't put somebody in fear of their lives if you're doing some criminal stuff some bad things may in fact come your way just by the you know, just by life happening.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: You see these videos on like social media and I hate it. I hate it, but you see these people going into these stores and stealing a bunch of stuff, and then people try to stop, don't touch me, don't touch me, don't touch It's like what you can't This isn't a free for all. You can't just do what you want. We are a nation of laws. And if you steal stuff, if you have weapons in your car, if you there's going to be ramifications for that, and you should expect that.
Speaker 3: It seems about as basic as anything it really does. Five point three seven eight hundred the big one. Stirling Donnade making a lot of sense on a Friday for Scott Sloan. We are, we are. It's hard sometimes, but somebody's got to do it. To Mason, with Jim and Gary and Chris and others in room for you. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Jim? How are you?
Speaker 9: I'm good, sterling, how are you?
Speaker 7: This is a great topic you brought up this morning.
Speaker 2: Thank you man. What's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Well, the city administration supposedly now is trying to attract the officers to the Cincinnati Police Force, Yet they do stupid stuff like this that tells anybody looking.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 11: Why would I come into the Cincinnati Police Force when the administration doesn't support you or sends out the message that the police did something wrong in this. They did absolutely nothing wrong in this. It was justified shooting in that. The only other thing I'd like to say is I live in Mason now and I was thinking about buying a condo, and I've totally ruled out the city of Cincinnati. I don't go to the Esquire Theater anymore. A lot of the places that I used to go to, I don't go to anymore because I don't trust the city as far as keeping me safe. I'm in my seventies and I just don't trust the city administration. It is unbelievable to me. You look back at the bridge fire, nobody gets, nobody gets in trouble for that. You look at the other faux pass by the administration, nobody gets in trouble. There's no accountability. It's unbelievable. Pretty much what I have to say.
Speaker 3: Well, Jim, I appreciate the call, thank you, and I hate the idea that you don't feel like getting out and about in what isn't a world class city being Cincinnati. But I know people have that feeling, and sometimes you get a little bit older. There's a lot that goes into that too.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 4: I hate that as well, because I'm downtown a lot and I always I don't not feel safe.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm a woman too, and.
Speaker 4: So I feel pretty safe in downtown Cincinnati, and some of these amazing restaurants and theaters and things like that really spoiled we are.
Speaker 1: We have a great city downtown.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry you feel that way, Jim, But this is why this kind of stuff snowballs. You know, something happens over here and Jim feels like he can't go down and hang out in a great city that we have.
Speaker 1: That's a bummer.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: What I would like to hear is from the city to actually come out and say that they were or were not, and actually say it if they were working on a settlement here or not. If the FOB came out and that is factual information, it is bewildering, and liked them to rationalize it, justify it to the public rather than doing it quietly though most negotiations are private. Generally, it just doesn't make sense on any reason at all whatsoever for what is clearly a justified shooting, as horrific as the outcome, is that law enforcement officer has to live with taking a life of another, even though it was in their own survival and defense of the community as well, and a family lost the This kid who was not doing what he should have been, should have been doing just about anything else other than being in a stolen car hanging out with other you know, kids, young people doing some criminal stuff. Sometimes bad outcomes happen. Yeah, it's just terrible. Five point three seven four nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one. Let's see, let's get to Gary, then, Zach and Chris in the room for you on a Friday Scott Sloan Show with Stirling and Donnade.
Speaker 12: What do you have, Gary, Well, I've been listening pretty intently to all this for the last year, since ma since this young man cast his own death. But then, just like day before yesterday, that woman cast her own death. Same thing with George Floyd. They all have something in common. They broke the laws. And what we're not hearing and the liberal media, the left and the right. They need to be driving home and try to reverse the damage and the fear that they've created in people, especially people of color. Comply, comply, comply. They've created such a hatred and a disrespect for law enforcement, no matter who it is, if it's a Cincinnati police, Gayton police, Sidney, Ohio police where I live or wherever, or ice. We are living in terrible times. And it's the political media, liberal media that have created this hostile environment toward police officers, and people are going to continue to die if they do not comply.
Speaker 3: It's that simple, Gary, I appreciate the call that you know, te tying in the George Floyd thing or otherwise. He was complying and not a threat at that point, and that officer was, you know, paying a price for obviously doing what he did in the way that that played out in some fashion. But yeah, I mean, if you're in a situation you've been directed by police, it's real simple. They have the authority, they have the firepower. I'd rather live to fight in court if you disagree with what has gone on with that process of one's arrest or detainment, rather than ending up in a bag or otherwise there's no need for that engagement unnecessarily. But I mean not all of those cases you mentioned are apples to oranges in that respectfully. I mean, it's just in my opinion, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 3: Let's get to downtown, Bob and Zach and Chris. We got a room for a few more before you're ten o'clock report, and then we'll talk on healthy Can I just.
Speaker 4: Say too, though, I do understand what Gary is talking about and comply, and I do feel like a lot of people, you know, feel justified in not complying. And that's the worst thing you can do in a situation when a police officer pulls you over, you answer questions and you comply.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with him at all.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, it's real simple. Everybody wants to go home. Everybody's trying to do whatever they got to do.
Speaker 4: Well, we have to have law and order in this country, and you can't just ignore that.
Speaker 3: No, And the other side of it is that you also and I have friends that are police, and they'll talk about courts. I mean, here's the thing. You also want your civil rights, your civil liberties to be protected and adhered to. No differently, than anyone Else's whether you're in a uniform wearing a badge and a side arm and doing you know, the government work as a police officer or a federal authority or otherwise. We all do have rights and that does not cease just because there is some type of back and forth and that has to be respected both ways in my view. Anyway too, All right, the Bob, But your turn with Sterling and Donnade on the big one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is real possible that the settlement discussions are being driven by the city's insurance company. There have been some large jury vertices involving governmental agencies that's screwed up. And I'm not saying anybody screwed up, but the insurance company may be afraid of getting a large judgment against the city, right, and therefore they are telling us sit he look, we can settle this, and if the city doesn't agree to that, the insurance company can then deny the obligation of reimbursement.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I would love to Bob, And that's a great place point that I really hate to think would be the reality of the circumstance for those not knowing about this. And I think that the city would be negotiating a settlement because of that, even though it seems completely inappropriately, there.
Speaker 4: Has to be some moral judgment here on whether right and wrong does matter.
Speaker 1: It does, and so money should be set aside.
Speaker 4: And we had a call earlier with Jim supporting the police officer that put his life on the line. That is very, very that should take precedent over any kind of settlement.
Speaker 3: You have a fire arm in your hand, you're fleeing police involved in a heist of a car, and you're not doing what they say. You exit the vehicle with the gun in hand. What exactly is it that you expect someone to do in that situation?
Speaker 2: How is that not justified?
Speaker 3: In the defense the Dark County, Steve was Stirling and Donnade on the Big One for Scott Sloan. What's going on, Steve?
Speaker 9: Hey, here's my thoughts on this.
Speaker 13: The City of Cincinnati pays out any day, and I understand what your last.
Speaker 5: Caller just said. He's not wrong in.
Speaker 13: The thought process, but I think the family of the dead police officer should then sue the family for that amount because he's just as dead in a wrongful death.
Speaker 6: Am I.
Speaker 3: I'm processing it. I mean, no, I see what he's saying, but it wasn't the wrongful. Yeah, that is great.
Speaker 4: I see what he's saying, because he should just get the money back because here he is the officer for no fault of his own has been run over and now he's not he's deceased as well. But the officer was justified in many ways unfortunately killing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean there's so many layers to that with that, Dad, I mean he targeted that deputy. I mean out there just helping people get around, you see. And it was graduation time. Was that the first of May of commencement stuff or whatever else in and around there.
Speaker 2: It was just horrific. Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm just still trying to make sense of the idea that for an insurance purpose and CYA or otherwise Donna that they're like, we should just negotiate a settlement on this.
Speaker 2: It was just a viable shooting.
Speaker 1: That is the problem of why.
Speaker 4: Billable hours and and and insurance purposes. That's where we go wrong on a lot of things. I mean, Gary had a very good point there, or.
Speaker 3: Bob rather hard to make sense of that at all. It's a Friday Scott Sloane Show. Sterling and Donna d coming back after your ten o'clock reporter update on what's going on around the tri State and Planet Earth that matters to us. Here, Chris lewis you see health? Doc gonna join us talk about new dietary guidelines trying to get fit and healthy into the warm year. In front of us, they've turned the pyramid upside down. I don't know whatever, really.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for this discussion.
Speaker 3: And we'll talk flu. If you're hacking or know someone whose nose is running, if your nose is sore from blowing it too much, this could be a time for you to find your way to good health as well. Either way, we'll have some lasts. Glad you're along. By the way, this the home of the Red seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 3: All right, it's a Friday Scott Sloan show. He's enjoying a day off, long weekend for him. Gives me some time with Donna d And here we are Sterling and Donna de.
Speaker 1: Hey bringing the greens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: You don't is a company I worked with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's his regular opening man, Doctor Chris Lewis is a guy who knows a little bit about family medicine from UC Health kind enough to give us some time on a Friday morning at Scott Sloan Show. Welcome. You're with Stirling and Donna d uh. First of all, explain to me the new upside down food pyramid. And Donna had a great question off the year, which was simply, I.
Speaker 1: Don't see any seeds or nuts on there.
Speaker 3: She's very concerned. She's a nut eating it's berry. She's eating a bag of nuts and berries right now.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate your concern, Donna, And first let me just say thank you for having me. I appreciate all that you all do for Sony is to editate our community. But yeah, if you if you're taking a look or turned on the news, you've seen that the food pyramid has been inverted. It's kind of been slipped upside down, and it's a little bit different than what you expect. Our original US food pyramid was pretty in nineteen ninety two and then revise again in two thousand and five and again in twenty eleven. But this looks a little bit different, and there's a little bit of controversy in the medical community about it.
Speaker 2: What's controversial, Well.
Speaker 5: There's a big emphasis on protein, essentially recommending that people double their protein impact, and that's actually some people think that that's a good thing because of what it can do to give you a sense of fullness and decrease your appetite and add muscle mass. But there's also concern about the emphasis on red meat and full dairy that that might actually kind of contradict some recommendations that have been long existing from the American Heart Association based on decades of research linking you know, a lot of protein and full fat dairy to cardiovascular risk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, clogging arteries and things like that. And you know, even a piece of all you have to do is do the research on this. And even if you do eat a bunch of red meat eat it takes a long time and a lot of energy to digest a piece like a steak, a red meat steak or even protein period. So if you keep adding it and you double, I couldn't agree with the with the assessment. But the original food pyramid is because I just pulled it up because I haven't seen this in a long time.
Speaker 1: It's like the top part, so it's a diagonal.
Speaker 4: The top part is fats, oils and sweets, so you use those sparingly. Then it goes to milk, yogurt and cheese, then vegetables and then bread, cereal, rice and pasta.
Speaker 1: That was the old one in the and.
Speaker 4: The big one that everybody should eat and could eat six to eleven servings is bread, cereal, rice and pasta. And they've flipped that and they say no more processed foods.
Speaker 1: That's the big deal.
Speaker 4: And I agree with that too, eat whole foods, fruits, veggies, and nuts and seeds. But yeah, doubling on protein, I don't think I agree with.
Speaker 3: Talking to doctor Chris Lewis from U see Health of Stirling and Donna a d and for Scott Sloan. So how much of a problem is the mult processed food in the idea that you alluded to, which is the fact that maybe heavy in protein more than maybe a lot of dogs might agree with with what the data they have now?
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the protein and the high sat aside, which is one of the biggest controversial things that we're seeing with the new one. D I think there's universal agree or pretty universal agreement that de emphasizing sugar and process foods is a good idea, and the emphasis on whole foods is great, And Donna, what's your recoon what you're talking about with the shape of the pyramid, you know, there's also just a little bit of controversy on, you know, inverting it and not really having it's harder when you look at this one to really figure out portion, sizes and quantity of food. Then that was a good thing from the former food pyramid. And then in twenty eleven we kind of switched to more of the my plate where you had this plate broken down in terms of size of protein, vegetables, grains, and fruits, and that was maybe a little bit easier for the for the common person to really kind of digest that the new Fearman just the new Superman. The visual of it isn't quite as easy to digest for.
Speaker 1: Lack of a better workers fun intended.
Speaker 4: So so everybody agrees that there should be less processed foods, less sugar, because we know how destructive that is.
Speaker 2: All that stuff is so.
Speaker 4: Good well, I mean, cereal still is really good, but so but also controversial is the double on protein and how do we even maintain that because there's you know that what they're talking about is animal protein, not not protein from nuts and seeds and green leafies and and that kind of stuff. So we can't even we can't. I mean, how many animals do we? We kill billions a year for that? How how are we going to double that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there are ways to get a lot of protein through through non animal products, and there's the rise of the protein shakes and that sort of thing. That brings up another point of the controversy is that there's a little bit of concern in the medical community that some of the recommendations may be more heavily influenced by particular industries than in the past. So that's always something to look at. But you know, I think first and foremost people ought to be plugged in with their primary care for this or their healthcare network to make sure that they can talk to an expert, to someone who does this for a living and who can really give them tailored advice on nutrition and health based on their own health conditions and family history and genetics and all those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: Talking to you see health, so family medicine dot Chris Lewis was Stirling and Donnade on the big one and for Scott Sloan. So you said something interesting. So the idea is that what it sounded like is that this recommendation and the way they've moved through it is more about improving business interest rather than the US citizen's health interest. I mean, did I did I hear that correctly?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 5: You didn't. There might have been some inference, but I'm going to say a political on this, and I would just say that the reports coming out of the medical community, and there there are some concerns coming from the medical community that that have that that raised that question. I don't think anybody's pointed fingers just quite yet, but it does seem a little odd some of the recommendations, how they kind of fly in the face of decades of research that that that that proved health and safety and have been the backbone of some of the guidelines that have existed and agreed upon through all the physician agencies, the government agencies like the Food and Drug Administration, research, the American Heart Association, all all of that research and some of this doesn't really align with that, so it raises questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chris, it did sound a little bit harsher the ways I was just trying to I wasn't trying to cause problems. But it's interesting because we know heart disease or a heart attack is lack of blood and or oxygen to the heart.
Speaker 1: A stroke is lack of blood.
Speaker 4: You have to have your blood moving freely through the body, and when you have a lot of fatty meats and dairy and things like that, it's clogging your arteries. So it makes it harder to get the blood to the heart and blood to the brain and things like that. So I mean, I'm not a physician, and I'm not here to claim that, but I do a lot of research because I actually am plant based, and one of the reasons is for my health because of those statistics from many of the associations that you just mentioned.
Speaker 2: Chris, I've been called a vegetable.
Speaker 5: And I've been play family doctor for twenty three years or twenty six years now, sorry, I've been a family doctor for twenty six years and every year the highest thing, the most common things that I see your high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. And I have concerns about my patients following some of the new guidelines without proper vetting without talking to me first, how big of.
Speaker 3: A problem in the twenty five, twenty six years, whatever it's been that you've been doing what you do in family practice, doctor Lewis, Are we healthier now or not as healthy as we used to be?
Speaker 5: It depends on who you talk to, and there are certain segments of the population that are a lot healthier certain segments that that aren't quite as healthy. Unfortunately, there tends to be a correlation between income in the community in which you live and in your own personal income and how healthy you are. It's not, you know, an exact science, but I am a little bit concerned about what's happening in some of our communities that don't have the same sorts of means as other communities. You know, So some of the things that are coming down the pike with with changes to Medicaid and insurance are really hurting in particular rural communities and critical access hospitals. So, you know, the question is it's hard to answer it with a blanket answer, but there are ways in which we're a lot healthier. There are ways in which we're not a lot healthier, And the growing number of people with diabetes and heart disease and high blood pressure. Those things concern me and the future generation of doctors as well.
Speaker 4: So as a family doctor or physician yourself, I have to ask you what you think of the glp ones, the ozempics and things like that. Is it healthy to be on those You hear so many different sides to this story. But I've seen friends of mine that have lost fifty pounds and they've had weight issues their whole life, and they've been on these and you seem healthier, live better, not stressed out.
Speaker 1: What is your opinion on that?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll pressure my thoughts by saying that I, in general, tend to be slow to jump on new medications. That that's just my own personal style. I do know that there are physicians that feel that they are safely prescribing these medications and having profound impacts and the health of their patients. I know many doctors that under the supervision of their healthcare providers are on these medications and getting very good health results. I think the danger right now for me lives in people who are accessing these medications without healthcare providers, you know, the supervision, and I think that can be dangerous.
Speaker 3: Doctor Lewis how does someone get their hands on It's a prescribed drug, right, so how are they getting their hands on it without a doctor writing the prescription, going to the pharmacy, or at least having it sent there and having it delivered or otherwise.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know if I want to tell you that, because then all your listeners might go in to start the system by going outside of the US. That is one of the more common ways to do that.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: And there's also like new things where you don't have to gum or something that you don't have to you know, inject yourself with it. There's all kinds of new ways to get this. I think this will be readily available to everybody in the next few years.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting to see how this plays out long term and the effects of that. I'm all for being a little bit more cautious, but I'm no doctor, and I don't want to play on the radio. That's why we have Chris Lewis, a doctor family medicine, a specialist from UC Health. With Stirling and Donade on the big one. Let's switch this if we can, because there's a whole lot of people that have been missing work, missing school since it's come back back from the holidays, whether it's the croup or bronchitis. Seems the flu is going around. The flu shot is still very effective, but apparently the strain that's really whipping up a lot of trouble is not covered under that. How do we look this week compared to say last week, and what you're seeing and what you're hearing, Doctor lewis Well.
Speaker 5: In addition to being in a family tradition with UC help, I also serve on our Cincinnati Board of Health, so I'm due to get our latest report on Tuesday. But looking at the previous report, still continues to trend upward, steep upward trend for flu since December. And you're exactly right. This influenza strain called stub played K is the big one that's impacting southwest Ohio. It is not fully cut by the flu vaccine. But I want to make sure that your listeners understand that that doesn't mean that you shouldn't get the flu vaccine. The vaccine helps prevent the spread and also lessen the symptoms if you do can contract the virus, so it is still universally recommended to get your flu vaccine.
Speaker 4: Doctor Lewis, do you recommend getting the COVID vaccine as well?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 5: I'm a big proponent of both the COVID and the flu vaccine. Despite all of this political and social media controversy out there, vaccine saved lives and that's been demonstrated time and time and time again through the science, and I would highly encourage people to talk to their healthcare provider for the most accurate vaccine recommendations tailored to their own particular health situation.
Speaker 3: Doctor Chris Lewis from U SEE Health with Stirling and Donnade on the Big One, How has it changed? You mentioned, you know, what they people see online and so forth. Did they come in and then counsel with you? You know, It's one of the questions I've had interesting conversations with other docs about whether it was pharmaceutical companies running ads and then having people tell doctors what medication they think they should be on, rather than allowing doctors to do the doctoring. How has that change? And what are you seeing trend wise with your patient roster or others that you're hearing about with people coming in, Are they taking counsel from you in an effective, good way or is a lot of the outside interference in static, complicated what you do and people's health outcomes.
Speaker 2: Do you think.
Speaker 5: I absolutely love having educated patients and love having patients that seek out information. So I will never discount the usefulness of patients taking their health into their own hands. What I do recommend is there are certain sources of information that are trusted and certain sources of information that may not have that same sort of rigorous, peer reviewed scientific data approach. So when you're looking at record mandations, I tend to really put a lot of stock in what the physician groups are saying, you know, the American Medical Association, the American Heart Association. You know, when you have organized medicine and groups of healthcare providers that get together with no political influence to make recommendations based on the health and safety of individual patients and communities that we serve, it's I think it's easier to put a lot of stock in those recommendations. So for patients that are eager to do their own doctoring and to look up things on the Internet and look at various sites and things like that, I would encourage them to have a little bit of discretion about what sites they're using and direct people towards those sources of trusted sites.
Speaker 4: One more question I have to ask him, because I do this all the time, maybe even a little bit too much. If I have like you know, I have this weird thing on my forehead and I took a picture of it, and I found out the dermatologists. I asked Chatchypt everything. I put in as much information as I could. When it appeared what I have never I thought I got hit in the head with my foster dog because it, you know, and everything it told me, I went to the dermatologist.
Speaker 1: And it was correct.
Speaker 4: How much should we How much should we invest in believing in Chatchept and the like.
Speaker 5: I think the AI is going to continue to get better, and there's a lot of truth to be found. But you know, at the end of the day, the healthcare industry is a ten trillion dollar industry. And if you think that people aren't going to try to take advantage of you to make them buck, I think that would be that would be shortsighted.
Speaker 3: Great information. We appreciate you making time. We know you're busy getting people healthy and keeping them that way too. From Uce Health, a family medicine doctor also doing Stuffhamlet County Boor of Health doctor Chris Lewis. Thank you for making time with us. I want to go to.
Speaker 1: Me, doctor Lewis. I want him to be my doctor.
Speaker 2: You can do.
Speaker 5: I appreciate all you community.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we appreciate you too. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Great is that you don't really ever hear doctor talk like that.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well for me, well I understand. Yeah, I mean we can get him money.
Speaker 2: You want to do it. We could do a visit right here. It would be different. We can do it. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why not your ten thirty reports that are coming up an idea as to what's going on in the news around the tri state and beyond. Kevin Carr, a movie guy from Silber Gecko and h sub Stack in Fat Guys that the movie is gonna join us on the other side. I feel healthier already. Yeah, I'm going to be eating everything on that food triangle immediately. Bring on the state. It's Sterling and Donna d for Scott Sloan on a beautiful Friday, seven hundred WLW. It's Sterling and Donna de hanging out nice. I think it's stopped raining. Scott Sloan enjoying a day off. Hopefully all is well with you and yours. Well, we've been serious. We've talked health, we've talked flu. We like solving the world's problems. No matter what ken Brew likes to say, we don't make them worse. Kevin Carr makes lots of things better, as well as taking the hit for us seeing movies that oftentimes are waste of time, that suck in parts of our lives that will never get bad because he's a civil servant of a different kind. Silver gecko on the substack, fat guys at the movies. Kevin, how are you, how's everything? Good morning?
Speaker 6: Good morning. I'm used to talking to you in the evening, so yeah, my voice is a little hoarse from waking.
Speaker 5: Up out of that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, we appreciate doing I know, I know.
Speaker 4: I often you're total amateurs. I said to Sterling, like he's doing he's Sterling is on fire today, and I said, you need to get up earlier and more often.
Speaker 3: And I am awake. I'm just usually not talking publicly. I'm talking to my dog and roaming the neighborhood and doing other things. Uh, Kevin, this is a I know, it's like one of those award show weekend things before we get to it, and I think this is a like the Fun and an Award show because they think they all get tanked and like, you know, belligerent, which I enjoyed. That being said, though, at the movies getting out and about to maybe hide from the news and enjoy ourselves, is there anything actually worth our time going to the movie this weekend because this is that weird transitional first part of January.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because we're in that time when there are a lot of like big like event films. You know, you still have Avatar in the theaters, You've got all the award films that are in the theaters, and then you got all the crap they're dumping out in January in the theaters. And when it comes to you know, you were describing what I do as a silver civil servant, you know, taking a hit for everybody for a movie sucks. I did that this week because I chose to go check out Greenland to Migration, which is the sequel to Greenland, which was a monestin about five years ago which Gerard Butler escaping a comet. He escapes to Greenland to to avoid this destructive comment that's gonna wipe out the world. Here's the sequel, five years ago. Don't don't worry about the science. Just everything's still on fire and blowing up. That that's that's what's happening. And the Greenland facility has been compromised, so they have to migrate south into France to try and find this zone of safety to live in. And you know, this really is terrible of a move. It's a disaster film in more ways than just the descriptive nature. It's well, part of it is the the the event already happened. The comet hit in the last movie, so you don't get that big build up to a climac again. Everything's destroyed already. So he and his wife and son are are sort of taking this journey and it's sort of like, you know, it's like The Lord of the Rings, if it was all dark and dingy and everything was destroyed and there's just a bunch of emo hobbits walking across Europe. It's that this movie is. It's it's a pale imitation. And what's weird about it too, This is a strange thing that kind of caught me. They have these needle drops in the soundtrack of popular songs, but it feels like a k tel ad because they're like these soft rock hits that that don't really kind of make if that doesn't make the movie exciting, so it doesn't. Yeah, it just doesn't work. So here's the thing. There's another movie called Primate out which is about a killer eight cool and apparently that that's got some great reviews and it's doing well. So I chose poorly this weekend. And uh, that's my advice to use. Don't choose poorly. If you're gonna go see something, it can't be worse than Greenland too, So you can check out Primate.
Speaker 4: That's That's the one I was going to ask you about. Is rated R. It's a horror film and it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get a monkey and ape whatever I mean, simeons, I mean, anytime you get a story about any any of those, it's fantastic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they go for the eyes, they go for your privates when they get mad. That is what happens with it. There's always here's the thing. First of all, I don't know if you've ever dealt with I've never dealt with apes and chips and that sort of thing. But I've dealt with monkeys. Monkeys are a bunch of jerks. They are not nice things. They're mischievous. They're just smart enough to be a pain. So yeah, and they'll poop everywhere they do it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I've told you this. I know I've mentioned it on the year at least once. Is a kid growing up, I had a neighbor of the building next door, Todd, and they had a pet monkey, and all the time everybody go to his house, like after school, he'd be like, Oh, we're gonna do homework at Todd's house, go see the monkey. And that poor monkey was in this cage and all he did was fling poop at everybody. Was miserable all all the time, and I wanted to rescue the monkey. Mang goes, No, you can't do that. It's not your monkey. First of all, it's horrible. It's sad. I get what you're saying, but it could rip your face off, and it had these big teeth and they filed down.
Speaker 2: It was just a horrible thing.
Speaker 3: So, but I'd like to see a monkey movie.
Speaker 6: There's there's great movies about monkeys. Killing people.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this discuss or apes.
Speaker 6: Really this is a chimpanzee. I believe so, because you know there's a difference. You know, the difference from monkeys and apes is I mean, there's certain evolutionary things, but monkeys have tails, apes don't. And so chimpanzees, Bonobo's gorillas, orangutangs, those are apes. And you know, rangutangs are no joke either, you know they there was that orangutang in those way but loose Clyde, Yeah, yeah, no orangutangs. Man watch out for them.
Speaker 3: They look so sweet, but that's that they are. But you know that's the thing that people are drawn to them. I remember being a kid going to the zoo and I thought, oh, they look so sweet. I'd like to get in there early. You can't do that, and we know how it worked out here some years ago. Sideways too, But there's a big difference.
Speaker 1: Devin.
Speaker 4: You the Golden Globes are on this Sunday. Do you still care to watch those? Is this something that you've ever watched or or you know, is it is it interesting to.
Speaker 1: You at all?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 6: I mean I've watched the Golden Globes bits and times. It's not. You know, it's it's sort of like the precursor to the Oscars. Yeah, we had Critics' Choice last week, and now we've got the Golden Globes, and then I'm going to do the Oscars in a couple and in a month or two. I don't even think they have they haven't even dropped the nominations. The problem is there's so many awards now, uh and and they're so publicized that by the time you get to the Oscars, you know who's gonna win, and you know who's gonna win this one. I mean, the only thing that makes this interesting with the Golden Globes is they've got the split category. You know, they go drama and then they have musical or comedy, right, and pretty much I think one Battle after another is gonna sweep because it's sweeping everything that's in the comedy section. So in the drama section, I think Sinners is it's Sinners to lose, but it's all gonna be it's all gonna kind of coalesce around one battle after another or sinners. You're gonna get a couple of average awards, not from those movies, you know, like Jesse Buckley might win Best Actress for Hamnet.
Speaker 4: But what about Timothy Shallo May. I mean he won the critics' choice. He's up against Leo DiCaprio. You think DiCaprio is gonna be Timothy Shallo May.
Speaker 6: I think Timothy Shallo May has has momentum on his side. I'm not a big fan. I am not what you call a Shala maniac.
Speaker 1: So many guys are not. It's sterling. It is the weirdest thing.
Speaker 4: Literally, when I ask guys about Timothy Shallo may as, I was asking Jack Crumley. He's not a huge fan either. It's so funny. Why is Tell me why you're not a huge fan?
Speaker 1: Kevin Well.
Speaker 6: I mean the guy can act. Look, I don't get me wrong. I believe he can act. But you know my biggest problem. Cut your dog on hair. You know he has the same hairstyle in every movie he does, whether it's Doom, Little Women or Wonk. I mean, he's got the same hair. Just get a style. You are dating a Jenner for crying out loud, you should have access to better hair, dudes.
Speaker 14: I see.
Speaker 3: Because I I for some reason for the longest time, and this lets you know how engaged involved I am, and what it means to me. I for some reason thought that the guy from the Bear was to the Tynathy Shallow, but Jeremy Allen was, Yeah, but they're not the same guy.
Speaker 6: He played Bruce Springstein. Yeah, that's his Award film.
Speaker 1: How did you like that Bruce Springstein film?
Speaker 6: It's okay, it's a little long. A lot of times they get long and drawn out. And one of the things that I felt the same way about Songs on Blue, which is a good song, a good movie, but half the movie is spent recreating the music, and I'm like, well, I can just go pick up the album.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Ye, to me, that's not super impressive. I mean sometimes it's done really well. I think Rocketman did it well in a Bolimian did as well. But yeah, I mean, if I really want to hear a good, good version of Born in the USA, I'm just gonna listen to the original recording.
Speaker 3: And I know I heard Dan Carroll the other night going on about this, and we discussed this that the you know, the movie that's out now is everybody seems to think it is somehow, uh a documentary or sort of like the Springsteen movie for uh, sweet Caroline, Guy.
Speaker 2: What's right that it's it's it's other people.
Speaker 3: There are people that are doing his show or acting, like what do you call it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: The impressed cover.
Speaker 6: Is what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a really weird thory.
Speaker 6: It is a true story. There was a documentary on this several years ago. But yeah, so yeah, it's that I think is a little little more interesting. But still it's like, look, you gotta really like Neil Diamond stuff. And they do some deep cuts in those. You know, they got Suliman as one of their big songs. Nobody knows that.
Speaker 3: It's just an odd thing, you know, is someone doing a cover acd ends up you get in the movie about them, but say it's heartwarming and all the other stuff that goes along with it.
Speaker 4: It's just all I haven't seen Avatar two. Did you like that? I mean everybody? It's getting pretty good reviews and it's certainly a big blockbuster.
Speaker 1: Did you like it, Kevin?
Speaker 6: Well, it's Avatar three. It's the third one actually, so the second one came out about three years ago.
Speaker 1: What did I say? Avatar two mean too?
Speaker 6: I just want to make sure you know that there was another one in between. They're very similar and they're good. They're spectacle, that's what they are. I mean, you want to see something with amazing special effects and great action. It's one of those movies that's worked. Going to go see an imax. It's actually worth checking him out in a high frame, right, even though it does kind of have that that so properly look to it. But yeah, it's a good movie. It's it's it's it's Cameron doing what he does very very well. So yeah, if you want the spectacle, but you know, as Sterling points out, you may want to get the catheter because it is three hours and eighteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's long. That is that's little. I don't know a longer movie than that. Is there a longer movie than that three hours?
Speaker 6: Whether the Brutalist Brutalist last year was like four.
Speaker 1: Hours, Wow, that's brutal, and.
Speaker 6: I think I think Gone with the Wind is push pushes four hours. But yeah, they usually don't make them over three too much.
Speaker 3: Now, Hugh Jackman's doing this other thing too, which is this Death of Robin Hood movie or whatever else too that that seems a little better than than than the other thing. Does that look as good to you? And it tells a different story of robin Hood. I kind of seem interested in that rather than the warm and fuzzy, hold hands and sing song stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe maybe I'll get a problem.
Speaker 6: I think the thing is, they do so many different versions of Robinhood. I'm not terribly familiar with this new one. I think he should dress up as a fox, and you should have a guy who dresses up as as a bear, you know, and and and and just do it as the Disney version of Robinhood, but with really bad constumes. I think more interesting.
Speaker 2: That's a whole nother show. That's a whole nother angle.
Speaker 3: Anything else the consequence before he let you bounce off into enjoy the rest of your Kevin Carr Silver Gecko on Substack Weekend.
Speaker 6: No, I mean I think that that those are the big ones in the theaters you still got to. I still haven't seen any combat, and I really want to.
Speaker 2: It looks good because it looks so stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the first movie was too. It wasn't even I don't think it was supposed to be funny. But I laughed through that whole ice Cube movie with Jennifer Lopez and John Boyd.
Speaker 6: When chewing the scenery and the worst Peruvian accent ever. I mean, and what I loved about what I love about this movie is it treats it like at least it seems to treat that one with reverence good, which it does not earn. And I do want to see it. I haven't gotten around to it yet because well, you know, there's a lot of other movies I had to see.
Speaker 3: You do what you can do, and it's all you can. We always appreciate your time and doing what you do. Go take a nap. We appreciate you giving us some time earlier than normal. Kevin Carr, silver Gecko on Substack, take care of yourself and avoid Greenland too.
Speaker 6: Apparently can't.
Speaker 2: I already did it, Im Sorry.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we're a lot. Apparently we were trying to get there anyway. But that's a whole other conversation, Kevin, take care of your Thanks, Kevin, appreciate it. You know, we got the eleven o'clock report coming up, and we're gonna talk about relationship stuff of a different kind then. But you mentioned something to me that I completely missed, and we got a little bit of time to talk about it. I want to understand. I thought it was a band. You're like, if you heard about the walking Monks, I'm like, oh, what are you talking about? Monks walking?
Speaker 4: Where peace wuk? So we were talking about such negative stuff. I'm like, can we throw in a little bit of positive? Because there have been monks that are been walking from Texas and they're walking to DC on a peace walk, right, and then there's all these people that know where their journey is.
Speaker 1: They're following them on a website.
Speaker 4: And they've got this cute dog, which you would love, a looca who they found in another country and now he's in the United States and he's walking with them as well, and they have support vehicles and things like that. Two of them actually got hit by a car and one of them lost half their leg and they're still on the walk.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's he lost his leg and they sowed him up and he's met the monks walking.
Speaker 4: In a wheelchair and they all paid respect because he, yes.
Speaker 2: Took the hit forever. Yes literally it is.
Speaker 1: It's literally, yes he did.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful thing and a lot of people are affected by it, myself included, because to see these to see these beautiful walking for so many days, so many hours, and and being treated with such grace and respect because they were walking for peaces is lovely.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's gonna do any good?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 2: Does it make any.
Speaker 1: Does to me? It makes difference to me.
Speaker 2: But you're not wreaking havoc anyway. You're not at war.
Speaker 3: I mean, whoever's fighting wars now or not going? You know, those monks in the States on foot I lost a leg.
Speaker 2: You serious?
Speaker 3: They found a dog and they're all rolling around. I don't know that they're going to go and respectfully, I mean I respect that the protest or the peaceful effort to raise awareness and bring good to the world.
Speaker 1: Here's where I think it'll make a difference. You just asked me that question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so parents, parents are pulling their kids and waiting for the monks, and they're in there, and they're saying, look at this is a once in a lifetime Say, have you ever met a monk in person?
Speaker 2: Once?
Speaker 1: You did?
Speaker 3: I never have. I've never met a monk. They were on campus when I was at school at Wright State. I don't know what they were doing. I came through, we nodded, and I was onto class or went to sleep.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you feel a certain Oh so you've never really met.
Speaker 2: Them, you've sing it down and talk well, but he had the monk gear on, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes, living the monk life. But what I'm saying is there's a different level of energy they exue. Okay, So parents are actually bringing their kids to meet them, and and and and show them. Hey, this is a once in a lifetime thing. And I don't think those kids are ever going to forget it.
Speaker 3: I would hope they don't. I mean, it's a wonderful thing, and I appreciate that. I just don't know. I mean, maybe good for those kids and so forth, But I don't think any warring parties at this point go. You know, we were gonna blow up more stuff, but those damn monks in the States have really made us revalue me.
Speaker 1: Maybe there will be one.
Speaker 3: First, let's take a day off. You're eleven o'clock report straight away. I am not the profit of doom, no matter what Scott Sloan or at the day off at Sterling donnade On the home of the Red seven hundred w WELW, Cincinnati. To be an American, it's a Friday, Scott Sloan Show, Sam Scott Sloan Slow. He's in a day off, so it's us here, Sterling, Donnade hanging out. Hopefully a good Friday for you guys. Lots of stuff in the news, everything else going on, and a little bit later we'll talk on Bengals and so forth. And you're an animal lover. We try to have Cincinnati Animal Care on pretty regularly, try to help those in need with fostering, adoption, spang nootering, know all and sort of been that Bob Barker mode and so forth. You're fostering a dog right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a Stage five clinger.
Speaker 4: I mean he is literally you know, I can't go anywhere. So it's funny, Sterling, because I've never had a dog like this before. He's so sweet and I mean, this dog like looks right into my eyes. He's just he's bold, and he's fun and he's just he's crazy. He's not even a year old. But I started looking into his personality and what it means, and I found this really cool study about like the four signs.
Speaker 1: That your dog loves you.
Speaker 4: And they do these four things on a daily basis, and you might construe them is something different like clingy and you know, attachment issues and things like that. But these are actually and it makes sense to me. Four signs that your dog's things that they do every single day, little tiny signs that show you that they love you. And I thought this was so cute because you're a dog lover toos. So let's see if these crazy your dog crazy is on the list of things that he does. The first sign that your dog loves you these little tiny signs that they do every day when they follow you everywhere. They say, it's not attachment, it's safety. So the dog feels like, as long as I'm near you, I'm okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does crazy do that?
Speaker 2: He does?
Speaker 3: But see he's in a weird place right now, and that donnad I think he's testing me. It's like adolescents. He acts like he wants to be close, but really he wants to like find a way to steal cat food or whatever else. He's constantly testing. But yeah, he does follow me.
Speaker 1: All yeah, it's so cute. All right.
Speaker 4: So number two sign when your dog brings you like these random items like socks or they're toys, it means that you know, they share what they value most with the person they love. So this you know, my foster dog Gus, he has this blue ball and he puts it in his mouth.
Speaker 1: It is a giant ball and.
Speaker 3: He already has a huge head. His body is his head, yes exactly. He weighs forty two pounds and twenty of it is his head and he's got this giant mouth. This is the biggest ball.
Speaker 4: He doesn't want to give it up at all, but he brings it to me all the time. It is really lays on my lap. Yeah, he loves with this ball in his mouth.
Speaker 3: So knows you saved him. He's all like, you know, and he wants to stay like, hey, he does. You haven't had like a ceremony a fool on a dophin, right, you're still just he knows.
Speaker 4: I have co fosters that when I travel, they're going to take them and it's great.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Number three, when they lean on you or press into your leg, that's comforting for them.
Speaker 1: That's that's your home to them.
Speaker 4: So that's when they you know, they lean into your leg, it's kind of like giving you a hug.
Speaker 3: It's fine when they're small, but when they're you know, seventy eighty pounds dog, or when you're trying to work, like when I work at home lot all of the time and the dog on my foot wants to be Can I get in the chair? No, there's no room for you in the chair. So that's love, it's not it's love. It's a sign that they love you. And the forest sign is when they sit near you quietly. It's a sign of loyalty. It's love without conditions and.
Speaker 4: Making sure that you're safe, right, So they're just kind of keeping guard. There was there was a time where I have doggy door, and the first couple of weeks this my foster dog Gus would get up like forty times in the middle of the night, go out the doggy door and then jump back on him. I literally put in chat GPT what does this mean? And I came and it was him checking the house. He was on patrol. He was on patrol, so I had to block the doggie door at night so that he could rest. And it's a time for him to get off patrolling the house. He could rest and let it go. I actually had a conversation. You had a conversation with him, and they said you can rest. It's okay, this is time to sleep. You don't have to be on patrol and watch the house.
Speaker 1: And it worked. You never did it again after.
Speaker 3: A You talked to him a lot. I talked to that dog all the time. Yeah, so I'm not the do you talk like? I mean, what kind of conversations do you have with the dog? I mean, I mean it's just about his behaviors? What's going on? Do you have like philosophical questions? What do you do when you talk to you? I talked to my dog when I walk the dog, and I think people see it and they don't know if I have an ear button I'm on the phone, or if the me and they're like, oh, it's that guy again.
Speaker 4: Well, I think they like the tone of your voice and they like to know that they're paying you're paying attention to them. So I'll just did you like your dinner last night?
Speaker 1: Was it good? And a waggis tail? And are you ready to get some sleep? But you feel good? You know?
Speaker 4: I put before I left for the station, I put him in his little area and I'll be right back. Here's your bone, here's your water, here's your this, here's your that, so yeah, I think it's like, you know, just because they can't talk back to you doesn't mean there's a million benefits too. And we're not here to promote. But I always love Cincinnati Animal Care. They do some great work in this industry. And if you want to foster, go on the website it may They make it so easy. And if you want to adopt a dog, it is so great to do that. But one of the other benefits I want to talk about in fostering and adopting and having a dog is when you walk them.
Speaker 1: Dog Owners walk.
Speaker 4: We walk an average of three thousand steps more than non dog walkers a day, so you will get an average of three thousand And I think one of the greatest exercises, and I've been a yoga instruccher for a long time, walking is one of the greatest moving your body.
Speaker 1: Running is great.
Speaker 4: Walking everyone can do and you know, ten thousand steps a day is great.
Speaker 3: Certainly attainable with my dog. I gotta say Sterling and Donade. By the way, in for Scott Sloane, He's enjoying a Friday off, hopefully and enjoying it anyway. Hopefully you are too appreciate you being along my dog. We walk a lot, but I don't know what I'm getting out of it. First of all, he's like fifteen pounds right, and his legs are short, but he tends to walk at a quick clip. We do three, maybe four or five miles a day. He likes this warmer weather. He's loving it. Yeah, it's a tiring thing for me, although I like the warm But my problem is he's got to stop and get his sniffs in, and then he's got to hike his leg on every random shrub and bush and light post and everything else that goes along with it. So I'm not really getting the benefit of the walk. We're not really walking like you know, if I was at with the mall walkers wherever you know, Kenwood Town Center or wherever else, I would. But you can't just drag him along. No, it's his walk. It's it's not for me. It's for him.
Speaker 4: Well it is, but it can be for both of you because even if you're outside.
Speaker 1: But yes, I do understand that.
Speaker 4: It's like my sister calls it their social media where they get to like sniff and look and say hi, and you're under the blue sky and everything else. But you are out in nature, so it's kind of a big deal too, and you are still getting steps in even though it might not be the normal kind when you're walking by yourself.
Speaker 3: Do you do you think you have a good understanding of what Gus or any other dog that you've had, like Puka, what have you, and what they mean with the barks, like some stuff is obvious. Yeah, right, But my dog's a Schnauzer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I did not go hunting for him. I found him. He was a street dog. And I don't know that I really want to know what he's saying. Is incessant barking. He's bred to bark, and at times I can tell he's frustrated for to tell me what he wants me to understand, and I have no clue that. On the other hand, I don't know that I want to know what he's saying.
Speaker 4: Well, if I if I could figure out what any dog is saying, I would love to speak animal. I would love to be able to decipher what animals are saying. But this one ironically doesn't bark that much. It's his saving grace. I will tell you that he is he is. He barks when he hears a noise, that's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: Does everyone talk to their pets? I mean, like around the house, Like, here's the thing, are you talking to yourself?
Speaker 2: Are you talking? I'm just talking to the dog.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if it's any either way better if you're just randomly walking and talking to yourself and muttering, And what's the difference, really, I mean, if I'm just in the neighborhood on my own walking, like I just trying to get my steps for some reason, I just getting steps and I'm and I don't have an earbud in. I'm not talking to you or somebody else. I'm just the weird guy in the neighborhood talking to himself when people are going to start watching.
Speaker 2: I mean, does everyone talk to their dog?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I will say when when I'm out walking and I run into another human that has a dog, usually most people will talk to the dog instead of the other person.
Speaker 3: No neighbor's dog names and not neighbors names exactly.
Speaker 4: So I mean, I do think I don't know why it's a comforting thing to like you, Oh, look.
Speaker 1: How cute you are.
Speaker 4: Look at your scarf, Look at your cute little jacket that you have on.
Speaker 1: Most people talk to Gus more than me. It's just so funny.
Speaker 4: I just think it's a comforting thing for people like to talk to the animals. But I mean, i'd like to think that people talk to their dogs.
Speaker 3: Well, we can't be two crazy people compared to everyone else and we don't meet. Mental health is a serious issue, okay, problem, please, all right, But I mean I can't just be the two of us five one, three, seven hundred, the big one. Do you notice these signs that Donna mentioned about your dog loving you? Are you talking to your pa? Do you have conversations? Is it just you talking to yourself? Are we crazy people?
Speaker 2: I have many questions.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for answers to let's get to ed and Springfield with Stirling and Donnade, and for Sloany on a Friday?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 5: Ed?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 5: How you doing good?
Speaker 2: Good? What's up?
Speaker 15: Okay? Well, I'm just said I've had several dogs. Actually all of them are named after football players, so I'm kind of weird. But absolutely I talked. I talked to my dogs. They give me better answers than my kids do. So I mean I got right now, right now I got a black and tan hound. I had to put two of the other ones down, so I also got a carrier boxer mix and my hound. Nobody can walk past the front of my house without him letting me know somebody's on the sidewalk. And originally I got he had a brother, and I got the brother as well, but he had to be put down because I work at night, and I left my wife and my two.
Speaker 9: Children at home.
Speaker 15: And I'm like, if anybody's stupid enough to try to with these dogs going nuts, But they make sense if you, if you understand what they're doing. My dog tells me things like what like like what, I'm not like a dog whisper right now. We found out a couple of days ago he's got diabetes, which is unfortunate when he needs his shot.
Speaker 10: For his food.
Speaker 15: It's a different thing. It's not he doesn't come in there and just spark in our face. He does like a moan, like a whine, like hey, I'm not feeling so good. You need to get up and help me because it can be in the middle of the night. Sure, So you just have to You have to learn how to what do they call that? Well, read them or translate whatever they're saying. But all my dogs talk to me. I can talk to the one dog right now. If I'm making noise, he makes a noise back, and it's just a game.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 15: And like I said, we got a tattoo and the cat. You know, the cat just does his thing. He comes around when he wants to be headed, but other than that, he just does his own thing. But absolutely dogs talk.
Speaker 5: They talk to you.
Speaker 15: Just you gotta sit down and listen to him and figure out what's going on.
Speaker 5: You got dog. That's the reason why department.
Speaker 15: And the one the other. The one other thing is I was totally against cages when I had my first dog when I was a young kid. But when me and my wife got married, they suggest that we do cages because that lets the dogs know that it's their time off. They're off duties. Yeah, they're off duty, so they can go to sleep. They don't have to worry about anything. And now he here's a noise, he's gonna probably rip the cage. It lets him know that there's nothing to worry about right now.
Speaker 5: Like everything's good.
Speaker 15: We're all going to sleep. Go in there and lay on your little patted dead and the thing now, we only put one of them in there now, but the other one's growing up that he Actually, I don't want to say somebody sleeps in the bed.
Speaker 3: With us for me, my ex I mean it was it was a menager and I appreciate the call me and thank you for sharing that too. And I know we're not the only ones, but we'd have like two three dogs to be a cat. And the only thing that wasn't in the bed was the turtle. Thank God for that. To Levin and Lynn was sterling and Donna die on the big one. Do you talk to your pets and how often? What kind of conversations do you have?
Speaker 16: Oh my gosh, the talking to the pet is routine because now the pets the.
Speaker 9: Dog, our dog expects the talk.
Speaker 16: Yes, yeah, I mean she's a.
Speaker 5: Routine on her talking.
Speaker 16: Every time I come down in the morning, you know she's there and rah rah. But no, I told you, I used to be a dog warden and I've probably had fifty dogs and now I'm down to one dog, which is hard, but you get to the point you have to downsize. But I carry on conversations with my dogs, and I think, oh, gosh, people around me must think I'm crazy, and oh gosh, so because my dog is the smartest.
Speaker 2: Person in the room. They are most of the time.
Speaker 3: They're limited, but they're just at a base level where if you just live more like a dog, I think we'd all be better off.
Speaker 1: Dogs and the best, aren't they, Len They are.
Speaker 10: Donna, they are.
Speaker 16: And I have just recently started going to shelters to walk dogs. You're talking about what the dogs need to be walked?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hard.
Speaker 3: It gives them a break, doesn't it, So they can decompress a little bit and feel a little normalcy with humans too, which helps them.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 3: On the other side, find someone who you know sees them is a more I guess, viable candidate to take home.
Speaker 16: Yes, Sterling, that's for sure. And Donna, thank you so much for everything.
Speaker 6: That you do.
Speaker 16: I really really appreciate people like you like, thank you for have thank you for having her on.
Speaker 3: Well, well, yeah, we're working together. We're working together all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, and thank you for.
Speaker 3: Showing up and lynn all of us as we talk to our But you know what I'd like to get someone in answer for this. My dog will not eat his food unless I'm there, or he had or I have to be gone for like I if I'm out of town or you know, I'm gone for a couple of days and he's staying with someone else. I mean he like waits till desperation to eat his food. But if I leave the room and he thinks or he has any inkling that he can go hijack the cat's food, whether he has to climb up on a table, I mean he has to like navigate his way up and over a gate. He will do that he can't get back over. But he won't eat the dog food alone. He'll eat the cat food all day long because he's histing it.
Speaker 4: That is crazy, crazy, Yeah, So put that in chat shept and they'll give you an answer.
Speaker 3: I mean it, I don't think the a I can.
Speaker 4: Try it, I'm telling you, but that is interesting. I mean the dog when I put the well, he's only he's not even here. How old is crazy?
Speaker 2: It's like ten.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this one's up, you know, not even a year.
Speaker 4: So he's got the puppy energy and so anytime I put anything in his bowl, it's gone within seconds.
Speaker 1: I mean literally, I'm like.
Speaker 4: Can you slow it? Down, you're gonna get digestive issues. I mean, he eats it so fast. It's crazy that your dog waits for you to be there.
Speaker 2: It's weird. It's interesting and it makes me feel better.
Speaker 3: They're like, oh, you didn't eat. I'm like, well, I don't know what to tell you. Is he okay? No, he just doesn't like it. As if you have cat food, you have a cat, just leave the cat food down. He'll leave the cat food, yeah, which is horrible for them, their kidneys and all that. But it's just a strange thing. Five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred the big one. Uh do you talk to your pets? It's just a very strange issue, and I want to I had a couple of people remark to me on social about my comments about the monks. I respect the monks. I have an admiration for the monks. I wasn't attacking the walking monks. I was just simply saying, Unfortunately, I don't believe that the attention drawn and the harm that came the way of the one guy who lost one of his legs in part because someone went around the safety vehicle, which is a problem for anyone on the side of the interstate, let alone working on the highway like for O Dot or something like that. That's how that accident happened with him. I just don't respectfully believe that those who are in the business of executing wars are going, you know, those monks in the States walking you know, from Texas to DC like two thousand miles or whatever it is. We should put our arms down and stop the bombing. I just don't think that that's the you know, the benefit that comes from it. Everyone else being thoughtful of them and respecting them is what comes of that.
Speaker 2: That's all I meant by that.
Speaker 1: No, and I know I know we're not again, No, of course not.
Speaker 2: But that's a whole other story.
Speaker 4: No, but you know, when I teach YOUO guy, I always talk about if Earth piece through self peace, So if you can even if and we're maybe they're not trying to get to the highest powers who create wars and things like that, but each individual, like if I think what happens is when we demand certain things from our politicians, even though it's kind of been ignored a little bit that but if we are become peaceful within ourselves, it kind of spreads.
Speaker 1: That's where they're looking to.
Speaker 4: So if they can touch one person and another person can be peaceful in their community and their home and their environment, then it just kind of spreads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Eleven third reports coming up sooner than later and updated on what's going on all over the place, whether it's what's gone down in Minneapolis to Portland, Oregon, to issues here that are sort of bewildering too. Talking about the allegation of perhaps maybe a settlement being worked on in some fashion for the hinting shooting situation with the fleeing suspect and that car heist, and then of course his father's ran down Deputy sheriff on detail work after that, clearly in retaliation. So all those news stories and other stuff going on straight away. We're back together again on Sunday afternoon too, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are twelve to three big big games on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Tak a lot of NFL football this weekend playoffs sans Bengals, but Duke Tobin's going to be speaking publicly about the Bengals and their plans, and he does not speak to the public very often, so we'll dive into that after you're eleven third of your port and a whole lot more to do, having some fun for sloaning on a Friday at Sterling and Donnade on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Scott Sloan Show for a Friday. He's not here.
Speaker 3: It's ut me Sterling and Austin Omar. People like to call him Audi hearing the team hearing about since he three sixty with Tony Pike and everything else.
Speaker 2: Man, how are you? I'm great, Sterling?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 2: In a while since we've talked on the air.
Speaker 3: It has been I see you all the time, it seems like, but don't get a chance to do this with you. So I appreciate you coming in. I know you got other stuff going. I don't know that the earth has spun off its axis at this point, there is a scheduled appearance Duke Tobin. I realize publicly he doesn't necessarily say a lot to us regular people. How big of a deal is this? What does this really mean? Is there going to be a change in Bengals planning or is this what we're riding with until the end.
Speaker 14: I don't know that this is an earth shattering thing. I think it's being a little bit overhyped. Some have described this to me privately as like, this is the equivalent of a playoff game for Bengals fans. They didn't make the playoffs this year, so at least we get to finally hear from Duke Tobin.
Speaker 2: Wowkay, Duke rarely speaks.
Speaker 14: He speaks at the combine, he speaks before the season, and that's pretty much it. And there is just a lack of transparency around him and his position, and it's been that way for the last twenty years, since he's been in this role more than twenty year, And so I think it is a good deviation from the established norm to have the general manager de facto general manager talk after the season in which you failed again and a season in which he was mentioned in the postseason statement by Mike Brown, and a season in which he was under more criticism than he's ever been at any point in his career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that makes sense now. A lot of people that I've talked to, even though Joe's toe is heeled, Joe came back, he seemed healthy, got it together, they got strung together some wins. We saw a little bit more of what we expected this Bengals team to be. We know the depth of the arsenal and weaponry on the offense. The defense seemed to grow a little bit. However, expectations and the idea well another season without a post the playoff of appearance, there were extenuating circumstances. People go, what about Zach Taylor? Why is he still here? Burrows a fan? Is that the only reason he's here? I think I don't know if it's the only reason. I think it's a big reason. I think that means a lot. And Joe, in his opinion, carries weight to the Bengals, and I think it should absolutely. I don't know that they should do everything that he says that I think is a slippery slope. And Burrow has acknowledged that he's like, I don't want to be the GM. I don't want to be the guy scouting like. I'll share my opinion, I'll tell you what I think, but I don't know that I should be the chief decision maker.
Speaker 2: And I think that's fair.
Speaker 14: But I think it's It means a lot to the organization to have a coach who is liked and respected by his quarterback, and offensively, when you look at the foundation that they have, which is they're going to have ten of their starters coming back on offense already, guys that are already under contract, and you would expect them to be able to get that other position, a right guard position, done relatively quickly and build some of the depth. And Zach is an offensive minded coach, and the offense really hasn't been the problem for the better part of the the last three or four years. It's been injuries and defense, and I think it's fair not to blame Zach for all the issues. Now, z that can be better. I think procedurally he can be a lot better. I think he should consider giving up the play calling and being more of a CEO style head coach on game days. But he still has two years left on his contract, and whether you like it or not, the Bengals typically don't pay coaches not to coach for them, and so I think with Zach having two years left on his deal, most of his assistants having one year left on a deal. With the inclusion of Duke and Zach in the statement by Mike Brown, I think it kind of says this upcoming season is make it or break it.
Speaker 3: Speaking of others on staff still with contractual obligations and expected to stay where it is. Of course, Dan Pitcher and is interviewing elsewhere for a head coaching job. What does that say about where the Bengals stand and who's next up if he in fact bounces elsewhere.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think it is confirmation of the idea that Zach Taylor and his offense and the way that they developed players on offense specifically works and is respected by other teams across the league. Now Dan Pitcher is interviewing with the Cleveland Browns, there's a connection there. Dan came up with the Indianapolis Colts, Andrew Berry was with the Indianapolis Colts. He's now the GM of the Browns. That's a very strong candidate. I would not like it if Dan Pitcher goes to the Cleveland Browns, just because I think he's a really good football coach. I think he has a very clear intimate understanding of the AFC North and would clearly understand the Bengals. I don't think that would be a good thing for them. I want Dan to succeed. I would like it to be anywhere but the Cleveland Browns, to be completely honest. But if he were to go, there are a couple of guys, Number one, Brad Cragthorpe and Justin Roscotti. Those are past game coordinator and quarterbacks coach or vice versa. Those two are our up and coming stars in the coaching realm. They've been here. Brad Cragthorpe's been here for a long time. Was actually with Joe Burrow for a year at LSU, and so there's a lot of connection there. And then Justin Roscotti came over last year from Minnesota. He's got some experience in Kevin O'Connell's offense and helped kind of unlock that next level of Jamar Chase. I think those two would be the possible connection of offensive coordinator, and the other one would be Brian Callahan, who was the offensive coordinator here of course when they went to the Super Bowl and was just fired as the Tennessee Titans head coach.
Speaker 3: Talking to Austin Elmore if you didn't already know ESPN or since the three sixty he's got with Tony pikel later on, that's what he does.
Speaker 2: It mean.
Speaker 3: It's great to hear any talking to you. This is just fantastic. I'm enjoying it. There's a couple things here. Firstly, it is a complication of success and surrounding yourself with good talent. When you see that talent bubbling up and being looked at with opportunities outside, you kind of want that, but you would like to be able to think that you can keep it together here with a window. And people have used the term open window for so long too much, but that window is shrinking for this Trangles team and trying to get to the playoffs and hopefully making runs regular runs there with you know, Joe Burrow in the age he's currently in Austin. What I'm wondering is this, if they lose someone of that caliber and that level, are they able to come in here and keep this thing going. Is he a marginal enough player down the food chain, if you will, as a coordinator of offense to where that hit can be taken and they don't stumble too much.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 14: And to be clear, my concern is not with what happens to the Bengals, it's what with the Browns. Could happen to the Browns getting better?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 14: And I think because of the culture, because of the fact that all those players are coming back, because it's still Zach Taylor, who is the headman in charge of the offense, and you've got all that familiarity and all that continuity offensively specific, I don't think it would be a significant change. I don't know that they'd be better right away. There would be some learning of new styles and new communication and all different stuff, but I don't think the drop off would be ridiculous for the Bengals offense.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting to me and I've talked to I mean, have some former players, you know, other people like you who live and breathe this talking Bengals and sports on a daily basis where I live it and it's my escape as a fan, not my lifestyle livelihood. In this situation, when you look at what they've done on the defense and that we did see them get better and there were injuries that they had to navigate, what's interesting in somewhat bewildering and troubling and probably for anyone doing the business that they do, whether it's the Bengals or pick an organization. You have draft pick after draft pick after draft pick, high end draft picks well thought of that either have not developed fast as one would have thought, or were not the talents that they had thought is it's played out. How much of it is bad choices, how much of his failure to develop to get where they are with the team that they put together.
Speaker 14: That's a great question, and I think it's part of the re why Duke Tobin is talking today is because he's the guy who's making those selections and it just has taken too long for those guys to pan out. And you know, last year they kind of used bad luck and bad coaching as an excuse, so they got rid of lou An Arumo, and you know, in a way they were proven right with the way that they also fired their defensive line coach and their linebacker coach, And in a way they were proven right because all of a sudden, the light bulb comes on for Miles Murphy, the light bulb comes on for DJ Turner, like there actually started to be some development for the young players and the defense. The issue is, and going back to the window that you mentioned, is you don't have time to wait for guys three years into the NFL to start having the light bulb come on. You need them to come in and contribute right away. And on top of that, when you haven't supplemented your roster adequately enough with veteran free agents to help the development of those young players. It does fall on coaching and the people in charge of the personnel, and that would be Duke Tobin. So it's not a sexy answer. I'm sitting on the fence here, but I do feel like it's a fifty to fifty split. You know, the coaches in the front office, it doesn't feel like there has been alignment. And I think that's part of the reason why Luanna Rumo was fired, an alignment between him and the way he wants to do things and the way the front office wants to do things. Now, defensively, they were still really bad, but they changed. They got rid of Mike Hilton, they got rid of Von Bell, they got rid of Sam Hubbard. They moved on from a bunch of veterans that hogged up a bunch of snaps, and they just threw the young guys out there and they stunk, and so it backfired. And so now, and you mentioned it after the bye week, they didn't play the best competition, but they did show marginal signs of improvement. Can that be a continuous thing into this offseason and can Duke Tobin do the right things to surround those young players with the right veteran talent so that you can expedite that process a lot quicker.
Speaker 3: Talking to Austin Elmore, he and Tony Pike. Of course, Sincy three to sixty sterling in for Scott Sloan's seven hundred WLW. So I guess the question is this, we have seen the Bengals make splashes on occasion, going out and getting a talent that's not too far over the hill, or coming in where somebody else couldn't afford him anymore, their plans changed or whatever. How many pieces do the Bengals need do you think on defense to supplement what they've already shown with development to get where they need to be to where we're not talking a year from now, a better about another team that, if everyone stays healthy, maybe still ends up on the outside looking in of what looks to be an incredible weekend to playoff football Bears and Packers, Panthers, Rams, Jags, Bills, Eagles, forty nine Ers, Patriots, Chargers, Steelers, who the Steelers always seem to find a way even with the two hundred and fifty year old quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I mean, they haven't won a playoff game in like ten years. Though there is some solace. I take some solace in that they get there. Mike Tomlin has turned into Marvin Lewis, But yeah, it did, it did? I think I think they need probably four maybe five guys totally, and that can be rookies that you get in the draft, and it can be veterans. I think they need probably at least two defensive linemen, one on the interior, one on the edge. I think they need another linebacker because I can't stomach watching those linebackers play again. I think you're gonna need a safety. I think you're gonna need a replacement corner for Cam Taylor Britt. So you're at at least four, maybe five. You could get up to six. And they have seventy million dollars to spend. And so a lot of people like to dump on the Bengals for the way they do contracts and they call them cheap and blah blah blah blah blah. Well, one of the biggest misnomers out there about the Bengals is that they can no longer afford players because they paid Burrow Chase and Higgins. That's not true. They have plenty of cap space this year. They have plenty of cap space next year and the year after that. Number one, because they haven't extended some of those young guys because of the questions we've talked about. For sure, the cap will continue to go up unless there's another global pandemic, and who the hell knows it might, but the cap will continue to go up. The Bengals do have the ability to restructure those contracts to free that up. Like they've set themselves up really nicely to keep the window open, which means there are no excuses for the offseason. Like last year they used bad luck and bad coaching and they got one or two veteran guys t J.
Speaker 2: Slaton, Orn Burke's didn't work.
Speaker 14: Can't do that again this year because you need guys on that defense, and you have the money to be able to spend, and you have a top ten pick in every single round.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good, right, Yeah, I mean it's not a bad situation. What do you think they'll do?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 3: I mean, do you personally? Because I know how you are. You and Tony are sitting there looking, well, if we could get that guy we can pull that guy from over there and this guy, So like, who do you see who's available? We're a move or you know, it wouldn't be too surprising where you could say, okay with this makes sense for the Bengal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a good question.
Speaker 14: I don't know if I've allowed myself to get there entirely yet, but there are, you know, pass rushers out there that I feel like they might have to maybe get a little creative. If you think back to the twenty one offseason, they signed Trey Hendrickson to a four year, sixty million dollar deal.
Speaker 2: He was kind of an.
Speaker 14: Unproven player, but a guy who had been kind of productive. Can you find a low level guy like that that you are still molding into being a really good pass rusher that's going to be opposite of Miles Murphy? Can you find one of those guys in the draft as well? And I think the interior of their defensive line and getting pass rush out of that position, I think we'll see Schamar Stewart in there a little bit more. That's gonna be one of the outside the box things that they do. I think they could draft one right away because there's not a deep class of those interior pass rushers. Peter Woods is a guy from Clemson who's there that you feel I could come in right away and provide that type of impact and also help b J. Hill to be a more impactful player. The name a lot of people want to talk about is Caleb Downs, the safety out of Ohio State. And I don't blame you, because if you've watched Gino Stone play over the last few years, he is legitimately one of the worst players who's ever played for the Cincinnati Bengals. That position has to get better, and that says a lot. They've been around for sixty years and they've had some bad dudes. Geno Stone is among the worst who's ever played for this organization.
Speaker 2: That has to get fixed.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny to me after all these years, and I remember even doing it as a kid, and it was not as involved as it is now. Right, It is a strange thing for me, and maybe it's just the way I was brought up to still regularly talk about guys. That guy should be fired and he's making too much, and that guy's not making it or not they need to call up some cash for him. There is no other business hardly at all where we talk about people's livelihoods and their families being uprooted.
Speaker 2: He's no good. He's a bumb and you're like, he was great a year ago.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And there's always there's always circumstances like behind the you know, the curtain that that affect all that. Like Nick Scott's a perfect example. He's a part of the playoff team in Carolina. Yeah, he was a safety here that didn't work out. Come to find out. They asked him to switch positions, they asked him to do stuff he'd never done before. It just didn't make sense, like, and it didn't work for him when they brought him in, and so now they're trying to replace him and they get a guy like Jordan Battle and blah blah blah blah. Just it's a never ending cycle of that. And that's the nature of life though too. Yeah, that's the beauty of the sport.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 14: No, it's life in general, and life in the National Football League especially.
Speaker 3: It's just an odd thing because all of us do this and it's been that way for a long time. Even my neighbors kids come over and they're telling me about budgets, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, you're twelve. What are you doing?
Speaker 14: It's just a I do too, I really do. But fantasy football and Madden and all these things. Yes, there's so much information out it really is.
Speaker 3: What have I not asked that's in your head right now that you and Tony and everybody else have been thinking about? You know, as Duke Tobin gets ready to step up and talk to the public here, I think it's one o'clock this afternoon. Anything else bouncing around? What did I not ask? What else is relevant? Are you already thinking about the Reds? No, I'm trying not to think about the Reds. Really, yeah, I'm this is this is not a good thing to admit, but I am absolutely dreading this Red season.
Speaker 1: What is wrong with you?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 14: You watched most of those games. You did a lot of the pregame shows, that's true. I did a lot of the postgame shows. That's true too. That was a miserable team to watch. They couldn't score, they didn't steal bases, they can't hit. Yeah, how did they not manufacture runs? They're in that situation and what have they done? They're going to bring back the exact same team so we got one hundred and sixty two games and not being able to score all over again. And I'm just I'm not I'm not there yet. I will be come Opening Day. I'll be fired up.
Speaker 3: Reds Fest is like a week away, two weeks away. Whatever it is, struggling, I'm struggling. I gotta find it. I can feel it, like right now. I know the temperatures are dropping through the day, but it kind of feels like baseball the weather. I kind of I'm already thinking about it.
Speaker 14: Duke Tobin could answer the question of why the Reds didn't go get a big off season bat.
Speaker 2: That would be a good question.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be great if you would just fire back with that and just completely.
Speaker 2: That'd be tremendous. Man. I just you know what is frustrating.
Speaker 3: And I tell people this is Bengals fans, And there were a lot of people who's they they got good when Burrow came and were there and got close and got to the Super Bowl and didn't quite get it done. And I mentioned the better living through lowered expectations. My whole career as a human has been living and dying with this Bengals football team and coming down with my uncle Manny to Old river Front and seeing and then you know what was PBS. Uh, you know, and then now pay corps and you kind of got there.
Speaker 2: You gotta be better.
Speaker 3: There's got to be more consistent and uh, just as they start to get close, I just want to be leave that it will be a stretch where they are consistently good and it is not just an excuse ridden time after.
Speaker 14: I keep telling myself that one of these days it will all be worth it. The Bengals winning the Super Bowl are one of the great sports stories yet to be told. I remind myself of the Chicago Cubs they won it in twenty sixteen. Yeah, if the Cubs can win the World Series, the Bengals can win the Super Bowl. I like the way you think that's well, you just do it, like before my dad dies. That's how That's how I think about it now. It's like, if my dad's like sixty, can we just get this done before he goes?
Speaker 2: For all these Dad, that's tremendous. Why not for no other reason?
Speaker 3: If not that Austin Elmore with Tony Pike Sincy three sixty, ESPN three sixty or fifteen thirty. That's where you are, and Sloaney's back Monday. I'm not on to I don't know who's doing me and will see how it goes. It's all top I don't know me, I don't know who's doing me. That's the way that goes. We'll find out later on. Dan Carroll's next and I'll be back a Sunday with Donna d right here in the home of the best Bengals coverage and the Red seven hundred WLW Cincinnati