Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: One of the biggest home runs in Dodger playoff history, the Wildcard walk off home run in twenty twenty one. Such a big part of the Dodgers going to the World Series in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen, and being a big part of their championship in twenty twenty and certainly a guy that will always be remembered in Dodger history as part of such a special group of guys from the moment that he arrived to you know, the time that things started to change as far as the chapters in Dodger history. But he has not forgotten his baseball roots, his second home here in Los Angeles, because he and his wife Mary are going to have their third annual Polar Plunge benefiting Friendship Foundation and Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, presented by Sketchers and Schwartz Capitol Group. And that is the one and only Chris Taylor CT. Awesome to still have you on Dodger Talk. Awesome that you and Mary are continuing what you started three years ago.
Speaker 3: Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 1: What's up? I say, yeah, thank you? What an intro appreciate it and you know, always good to be on with it.
Speaker 2: What has motivated you and Mary, even after having your second child seven weeks ago, to keep this going and to keep your roots in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we're just trying to keep the momentum going.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: You know, Manhattan Beach is are home now. We've been there for four years, I think.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: We did three years we've done an event and this will be we did a top golf event our first year there and then the last two we did the Polar Plunge and that I think we were really changed with the momentum we built from the first year to the second year and just trying to continue that trend and hopefully it continues to grow and get bigger and better and ultimately like it's a lot of fun. I think it brings the whole community together. But also, you know, the goal is to raise as much money as we can for these awesome organizations. You know, the Friendship Foundation you mentioned, they're a staple in the South Bay community. They've been around forever. They're in the process of building a state of the art Friendship Campus that is going to do some amazing work there and help all kids with special needs. And then so we've worked with them the last two years on the Polar Plunch and then we added the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation as our second beneficiary this year, and that has a special place in my heart just because I've you know, one of my closest friends, the reason I started the CT three Foundation, he lost his fight with cancer. And you know, just over the years through the foundation, we've we've met so many special kids that are struggling with their fight with cancer. And the unfortunate part of you know, doing this and you know, trying to to do the work a foundation does is you meet a lot of kids and it's not what's happy endings. And we've really had some special bonds with these kids and their families. And one of the kids we met her, his mom introduced us to the PCRF, and we thought it was a great way to you know, help kind of represent him and help out in the California area. We haven't done a whole lot with cancer out in California and more so in Virginia. So glad we're going to add them as our second beneficiary.
Speaker 2: The third annual CT three Polar Plunge is on Sunday, February first. It's at the Manhattan Beach Pier. It starts at nine o'clock and to register very simple. Just go to Chris Taylor's Instagram page and in the bio you can link and sign up for a great cause. And honestly, a player that has a foundation sometimes can just be that. But I think everybody understands how genuine your foundation is, especially after everything you said and the intentions behind it. How many of your former teammates do you believe are going to take the plunge CT.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're going to have a great turnout. Again, you know, I've reached out to all of my former teammates. All the Dodgers got the invite obviously, and then I think we're going to get a couple other guys too thatn't with the Dodgers, either former Dodgers or guys I've played with on the Angels, or maybe even just like some local California kids that I've played against. We're really trying to get it to be get as many of the local athletes in the LA area to come out, and yeah, so I think it should be a good turnout. There will be some Dodgers there, of course, But yeah, I think I think there will be a lot of familiar faces, not only baseball, but maybe some other sports as well.
Speaker 2: Hey, maybe, uh, you can get Cody Bellinger, who just signed a big contract with the Yankees to show up now CT Is he too big for the plunge?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need to get on him about that. Maybe we can seem up on Cody.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I'll add you to a group text and we'll really get everybody going there. You go, Hey, I saw this video and I saw that you commented on it when we talk about some of the great times in the Greek group of teams that you had your former hitting coach Turner Ward posted on his Instagram behind the scenes type of video justin Turner in the cage A young Cody Bellinger must have been twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen with his EyeBlack on, and you guys were all in the uniform watching you kind of mimic Turner's you know, famous stance and laid kick and all that. When you saw that video, do you remember it like it was yesterday? And what do you remember the most about those times in the cage?
Speaker 1: I do remember that. And it's funny because Turner was the one that was always Turner ward or hitting coach at the time. He was the one always trying to mimic everyone's batting stance, and so he kind of started that, and like, just like Turner, I'm terrible. I'm so bad trying to imitate my teammates swing. Some of the guys are very good, and I don't know if it's like body awareness or what that type of athleticism is where you can see something and make it. I mean, everybody knows about batting stance guy, right, Yeah, but I do not have that coordination. And whenever I try to copy somebody's stance, it ends up looking like my swing and I and I kind of already knew that, but then seeing the video it just confirmed that already, Like, oh, that looks nothing like jat maybe like when I'm holding the bat before I start the swing, you can kind of see it, but then I just do my swing and it's exactly the same.
Speaker 2: What did you think about the look on Cody Bellinger's face on the couch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I gotta ask him what was going through is I'm sure he was like, what is he trying to do right now?
Speaker 2: And then you see Jock Peterson walk by in his uniform with one of his Jock Peterson phases of haircuts, kind of like a fro Hawk walking by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one of Jack's many looks. And Jock actually was pretty good at imitating. I mean, he's had so many different stances, so maybe maybe that has something to do with it.
Speaker 2: Hey, what do you remember the most and what made those teams so special? Especially you know, the teams from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty. I have to include twenty twenty because you guys won the World Series after coming up short in seventeen and eighteen. What do you remember the most and what should we remember the most about those teams and those group of players that you were such a big part of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought we just had a good core group of guys that you know, we're all so close and were all still keep in touch. You know years later of us, a lot of us are not playing on the same team anymore, but you know, I think that bond from those years, as you know, we still go on vacations together in the offseason. We you know, so it kind of shows how close that group was, and it showed on the field, I think, and yeah, it's just I think we're always going to remember those years. Those were special teams and you know, some of the best years playing baseball, the most fun times.
Speaker 3: I've had no doubt.
Speaker 2: It was so special being around you guys and just seeing how you were able to get over the hump over the Cubs and then finally, you know, we all know what should have taken place in twenty seventeen, but you guys had such a special group, and I think what made it special CT is that you guys failed together and then you succeeded together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. You know, it did take a few years to get over the and it made it that much sweeter. We were finally able to do it in twenty twenty, and we still have that core group of guys.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor is our guest on Dodger Talk Don't forget about the CT three third Annual Polar Plunge on Sunday, February First, you can go to Chris Taylor's Instagram page C Taylor Underscore three and click on the bio and that's where you can sign up. Two amazing causes, the Friendship Foundation, and of course, the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation fighting for kids battling cancer. All right, Chris, here's the million dollar question. You finished the year with the Angels after starting the year with the Dodgers. Do you still want to continue playing baseball or are you content with your career?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, I'm still playing. Don't pull a cord on me yet. Least say no. I'm down here a zone are working out, you know. I I don't know where it's going to be, obviously with free agency being the way it is, but I will be playing again this coming season.
Speaker 2: You feel like maybe you could join the Rangers and reunite with Corey and Jock, or maybe you know, Bellinger put in his contract to cet three clause.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, honestly, I like all cards are on the table, you know. I really just right now, I'm just focused on getting myself right, being ready to show up in spring training and be playing like my best way. I know I'm capable of playing. I'm trying to get the body right, make sure I'm healthy and able to stay on the field. That's been a challenge for me the last couple of years. A lot of that has to do with, you know, things outside of my control with the broken bones and hit by pitch. But yeah, but yeah, it's just like for me, I think I still have more to prove to myself and that's the biggest thing. Yeah, I would not be able to hang it up right now and not have some regret.
Speaker 2: That sounds like Clayton Kershaw wanting to go out on your own terms. What did you think about the way his career ended and what were your feelings watching that World Series with the Dodgers winning it, since you did start the year with those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was special, you know, I think you know, I was happy for all the guys. But you mentioned Kersh. I think everybody was probably over the moon for him, and everybody wanted him to go out on top right and to see him go out the way he should have with a ring with the Dodgers. It just was too perfect. And I couldn't have been more thrill for him and his family. They've they've been through so much, They've done so much for l A and nobody was more deserving than him.
Speaker 2: Hey, during the summers, he caught on to the CT three plan of living in Manhattan, Beach. Maybe he can get that carcass out for the third annual plunge before he goes to Team USA and the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 1: No, you know, he he told me. He said, it took me way too hard to get out here. And I tell everyone, I tell all the guys, like you know, once he moved to Manhattan Beach. You know it's a special place. And yeah, I just I love it there. I've been there for years. It just puts me in a great moon waking up close to the beach. The community is awesome, the people are great. It's super late back and yeah, that would be great if if we can get kershop, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Hey, third annual CT three Polar Plunge. Go out and support Chris Taylor and his wife Mary. They're doing great things still in the South Bay. It's Sunday, February first, starts at nine am. You jump in the water with a bunch of Dodgers professional athletes for a great cause.
Speaker 3: Chris.
Speaker 2: Awesome to hear your voice again, Awesome to share your voice with everybody because you will always have a big place in Dodgery history. And for those of us that got to know you, I'm certainly always pulling for you. So thank you for the time. And you never know, maybe I'll bring my skinny, fat carcass out there and jump in the water with you.
Speaker 1: Oh I'd love to see that get out there.
Speaker 3: I'm sentimental, so I might do it this year for you.
Speaker 1: I hold you to it. I've already put your name on the VIP list.
Speaker 3: Do I have to register in the bio or can I? Is this? It is this official?
Speaker 1: I got you. This is your invite?
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good? All right, I'll manscape before Sunday, February first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please please do all right, there.
Speaker 3: He goes Chris Taylor.
Speaker 2: Don't forget about the third annual CT three Polar Plunge on Sunday, February first.
Speaker 3: Chris, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, thanks for having me that sex