Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We get ready running back.
Speaker 1: To get in on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts and now your host, Here's Tim Kakes.
Speaker 2: Dodgers wrap up a great homestand with a nine to one win over the Philadelphia Phillies. Hi, everybody, Tim Kates with you here on Dodger Talk Live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 4: On this absolutely glorious.
Speaker 2: Sunday afternoon as the Dodgers flex their muscles and pound the Philadelphia Phillies today nine to one in the series finale. After winning the opener on Friday night, the Dodgers game one away last night, giving up three runs in the eighth inning to lose to the Phillies. But they answer back today with nine runs on thirteen hits. They did not score in the bottom of the first, but had traffic on the bases against Andrew Paynter. And then the Dodgers scored a run in the second, a run in the third, two in the fourth, two in the fifth, a run in the sixth, a run of the seventh, and then.
Speaker 4: A run in the eighth.
Speaker 2: They were up nine to nothing before the Phillies got a Bryson Stotts home run in the top half of the ninth inning. The Dodgers offense today top the bottom was really good, and today in particular, the Dodgers bottom half of the lineup was excellent. Six through nine, Max Munsey, Ryan Ward, Dalton rushing, Alex Frieland and then he could throw Alex Calling there as well, who came off the bench for Ryan Ward after Andrew Paynter came out of the game.
Speaker 4: The six through nine hitters today drove in six of the nine Dodgers runs.
Speaker 2: Alex Frielan the nine hitter today, two for three with the double in a home run, Alex Call a two run single off the bench in the fifth inning. Max Munsey, the sixth hitter, his fourteenth home run in club leading fourteenth home run of the season. Ryan Ward his first major league home run in the Big leagues. When the Dodgers bottom half of the lineup produces like they did today, Odds are the Dodgers are gonna win a baseball game because then you factor in, you've got Otani, Pohez, Freeman, Betts, Tucker, the first five hitters, and they're gonna do something. Either collectively or one or two of those guys is gonna have a good game. And if you throw in the bottom half of the Dodgers lineup, more times than not, they're gonna win a ballgame. And today they scored nine runs on thirteen innings, and good for them. How about some support for old Yoshinobu Yamamoto, who has been the victim the last two plus seasons of zero run supported times. How many times have we seen him go out, pitch six or seven innings, give up a run and lose a game or get a no decision?
Speaker 4: Too many times?
Speaker 2: Today that was not an issue because the Dodgers scored early, they scored offen and Yamamoto.
Speaker 4: Went out and.
Speaker 2: To his credit, didn't have dominant stuff, didn't have swing and miss stuff for the entire outing, even though he did have ten strikeouts. He had a one two three first inning, helped out by Dalton Rushing. More on that in a second, but then in the second a leadoff walk in the third, he hit the first batter of the inning to put a runner on in the fourth, and infield single in the fifth and infield single in the sixth.
Speaker 4: He walked the lead off batter.
Speaker 2: In five of the six innings he pitched the lead off runner was on base.
Speaker 4: He was pitching out of the stretch more.
Speaker 2: Times than not in this game today, and he still navigated himself through five and a third innings. The pitch count got up over one hundred or else he would have stayed in the game. No runs, four hits, including two infield singles, and ties a career high with ten strikeouts. I thought he did a great job without his best stuff on the mount to day.
Speaker 4: Didn't have his best control.
Speaker 2: I mean there was times where there was foul ball after floulball, three to two count foul ball. There was a lot of deep counts that Yamamoto was getting into today, and more times than not he was getting out of it with a strikeout or a ground ball out and was able to get it out out of it, but just having to just work at bad after at bat, seventy one pitches through four innings. The key moment to me was the fifth and at that point the Dodgers were up four to nothing. Okay, the games stilling within reach. You get the leadoff runner on in the fifth hit by our infield single. Two batters later a double, you got runners on second and third, and here comes Kyle Schwarber in a four to nothing in game. You're one swing of the bat away from it being four to three, and they're right back in the game.
Speaker 4: We saw it last night.
Speaker 2: In the eighth inning, Dodgers rub a couple of runs and that quickly changed with Tanner Scott on the mound, ended up being a Dodger losses.
Speaker 4: The Philly scored three runs in the eighth. Fast forwarded today, runners on second and third.
Speaker 2: Here comes Schwarber and Yamamoto just dealing fastball first pitch, gets him swinging, mixes in the cutter and finally gets him to strike out for the second out of the inning. And then facing Trey Turner, who's a threat, can put the ball in play, can find the gap. It's got speed still only a four nothing game, gets him called looking for a strike three and he tapped his helmet and he can see him almost laughing with Dalon rushing like probably a strike, But dude, I gotta challenge this just to see if it's not a strike so I can keep my head back going. It was a strike on the outside part of the play. Sean Barber didn't miss that one, even though it was challenged by Trey Turner.
Speaker 4: But Yamamoto got out of it.
Speaker 2: Second and third, one out, schwore Ber, Tray Turner four nothing game, strike out, looking, strike out, swinging, and he's out of the fifth inning.
Speaker 4: He came out the.
Speaker 2: Sixth, got a walk in the strikeout before Dave Roberts said enough's enough and went to Will Klein to get the final two outs of the inning and the bullpen.
Speaker 4: The rest of the way.
Speaker 2: But man, Yamamoto, I give a lot of credit. Was battling out there. I don't know any other way to describe it. A lot of two to two counts, foul ball after foul ball, a lot of three two counts, a lot of foul balls mixed in. He threw twenty pitches in the second inning. He threw twenty three pitches in the fourth inning, twenty three more than the fifth inning. Three of his five plus innings twenty plus pitches in those inns. That's a lot of pitches. That's sixty pitches and you know, almost three innings of work.
Speaker 4: That's a lot for Yamamoto.
Speaker 2: But he got around it, and he put up zeros and turned it over to the bullpen. And what turned out to them Bo Laffer as the Dodger scored again in innings two to three, eight every inning the Dodger scored there to take a lead nine to nothing. Then they go on to win it by a final of nine to one eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Is our number eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts coming up in just a little bit. Well.
Speaker 4: Also here from Alex Freeland, who.
Speaker 2: Is back from TRIPLEA Oklahoma City and today in the ninth spot and RBI double in the second, and then Alex Freeland a solo home run in the fourth or just over the wall and just inside the foul pole down the right field line for a solo shot. He had a big day, going two for three from the play with a couple of RBIs. But how about the home plate umpire Sean Barber. Now we can all agree the changes that baseball has made over the last.
Speaker 4: Few seasons have all been perfect.
Speaker 2: Pitch clock Okay, maybe you didn't like it at first, but we can all agree speeds up the game makes it more interesting. The free runner at second base. You may not like it, but a Thursday game in May, it's three hours long and you want to get home. You want the game to be over. I'm alright with it. We don't see it in the postseason. We just see it during the course of one hundred and sixty two. The ABS the automated ball strike system, they have worked it to perfection in my book, and I think there is no need to take it in any further. Some of you are pro computers and pro AI, and let's just have the strikes and balls be called by a computer system and take it out of the hands of the human element of the umpire and let them call the strikes, and let the umpire just stand there and be a puppet for the computer. I'm out on board with that. I am not on board with a full computerized ball strike machine. I think what you have now is a checks and balances for a human being behind the plate in the homeplate umpire. I mean you look at the challenges we have seen, and the challenges now allow a hitter, a catcher and a pitcher to contest whether they think it's a strike or a ball, or the right call or the wrong call. Okay, they have now two of them per game to use, and you can choose when to use them. And we've seen some strategy. We've seen teams not use them early, use them late. Okay, using them early, as long as it's a really strong challenge. Today we saw two times in the first inning, Dalton Rushing challenge home plate umpire Sean Barber, and both times Yoshinobu Yamamoto recorded strikeouts off of overturn abs challenges. Brilliant strategy by Dalton Rushing that worked, and it favored the Dodgers, and it led to two strikeouts in the top half of the first inning, both of them called strike threes after the overturn call that was initially a ball worked in the Dodgers favor. But let's look at the game as a whole today. Dodger fans, if you were at Dodger Stadium in the sellout crowd, or if you were listening here on Anti seventy LA Sports. There was a lot of challenges by both teams. There were ten count the challenges to the automated ball strike system and home played umpire Sean Barber ten combined challenges. How many calls were overturned by the ABS eight of them. That is a lot. Not a great day for home played umpire Sean Barber certainly gotta be better than that. But I love it. Umpire misses a call. The hitter, the catcher, they know it to strike, they know it to ball. Should have been called the office away challenge it. Eight of the ten were overturned. It helps the game out. Certainly helped the Dodgers out with two strikeouts in the first inning. And sitting here at the stadium, whether you're listening to it or watching as well, it happens so quick. Umpire makes the announcement, the catcher is challenging the call on the field. Within the next five to ten seconds, we all look up at the JumboTron and we all see the AI yeap that should have to strike. We're going to overturn the ball, and that's a called strike three. Ah, he's out. That's the end of the first inning for Yamamoto. It's brilliant. It's absolutely brilliant, and I think they've hit it on the head. And the way it's used and how quick it is and how efficient it is and how it is I think changed the game.
Speaker 4: Completely now this year.
Speaker 2: It has made that strike zone so much smaller. It has made hitters more i think, more aware at the plate as far as what the strike zone is and having to take swings at pitches that are borderline pitches because you think it could be a strike, not sure about it, And it is completely taken away catch framing behind the plate, any kind of framing jobs done by catchers over the last ten years is out the door because no longer can you steal a strike as a catcher by snapping the glove back in on a ball that's a couple inches outside and at ninety eight miles an hour, the human eye can't see it and the umpire thinks it's a strike when reality it's off the plate and it's a ball.
Speaker 4: We haha. Now the hitter can challenge and it's called the ball.
Speaker 2: You can't steal strikes, whether it's an outside pitch, it's a pitch right the knees are lower and you snap the glove up as a catcher, that is done. The strategy of the game is completely different, and I love it and now being out at the stadium as often as I've been now and seeing it today.
Speaker 4: Ten times the challenge.
Speaker 2: To homeplate umpire Sean Barber, eight of which were overturned. It is a fun thing to watch and I think it has been one of the best additions in Major League Baseball, hands down, and it doesn't slow down the game. Don't give me this with a game was three hours and five minutes today.
Speaker 4: It was a long game. You know why it was a long game.
Speaker 2: It was a long game because there was a lot of three two counts. There was a lot of fouled off pitches in this game, including one that almost hit me in the booth here in the ninth inning. Thankfully, I got catlike reflexes and I moved to my right in the chair and it hit behind me and bounced to the floor and I grabbed it. Still got in my hand right now. But I love the ABS and it was on full display today. I know we've played what fifty nine games into a season, and you know we're used to it, Tim, we get it, all right, We're a third of the way through the year, dude, we get it. It was on full display today, guys. Ten challenges to the home played umpire Sean Barber. Guys, that's a lot of challenges. Eight of those ten were overturned. There was one of them that was two inches, you know, missed between a ball and a strike. But for the most part, hey, Sean, it's gonna get a lot of flak. You know, he's gonna be graded at a lower percentage than usual because of the eight overturned calls. But we're talking about what two tenths of an inch? A tenth of an inch when they show it on the jumbo tron here. I mean, we are talking about min minute space here, but the difference between a striking the ball and I get it, it's big in baseball. But this is where you can clean up the human element of the game. You can only make it better by having this AI technology, the ABS system to help everybody. Sure, and him not a great look for a homeplate. Umpire probably gets embarrassed, probably gets ticked off seeing a call being overturned that he made. But you know what, it perfects the game, and that's what you want. You don't want that large room of air. You don't want to leave a game, or you don't want to see an any man. And you're like, wait a second through that ball was three inches off the plate.
Speaker 4: How you kind of call that a strike? Three on a hitter? How are you gonna ring.
Speaker 2: Up a Max Muncie or an Anti pie Is on a ball that's you know, a foot low, but the catcher snaps back up and to make it look like a strike.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, that doesn't happen anymore. And I think that has.
Speaker 2: Absolutely changed the game this year. It has completely changed the strategy of pitchers and certainly hitters at the plate. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seven. Let's quickly hear from the manager Dave Roberts on his birthday. By the way, happy fifty fourth birthday to the manager Dave Roberts is a sung Happy birthday to him here at Dodger Stadium. Deed rule on the Dodger Stadium, Oregon, playing it in between innings. A happy flighting out of Phoenix after a five to one homestand and a nine to one win over the Phillies.
Speaker 4: Let's go downstairs and here for the manager.
Speaker 5: Excitement. You know, Wardo has has really excited for Ryan. You know, he's spent a lot of time in the miners. He's been a constant performer and got a little taste of it earlier Colorado. So to get him back family in town, hit a homer at Dodger Stadium, that's those are special moments. And with Alex it's good to see him kind of have some success. He's been going through it and being recalled and you know, contributing today on boat side of the ball were great. So yeah, it's always fun to see, you know, young players do their things, especially on a you know, a day game, and you know, a series like this when you're just a smunk a.
Speaker 1: Succession gris had over against teams that are doing very well on their own, right, what is a series like this team.
Speaker 6: Get this way today winning the series?
Speaker 1: What does that just kind of tell you as to where.
Speaker 2: He's group is right now?
Speaker 5: And also just applying base layers playing collective right now, I think it just speaks to how we're playing. You know, I expect to go out there, regardless of opponent and play well, you know, on the heels of last night. To be able to bounce back like we did was a good thing and a good sign for our club. But I just like the way we go about things and to be able to give guys days off and you know, backfill with other guys and for those guys to step up that was great. And you know, even you know Dalton, the way he's caught the ball and you know, built the relationships with the pitchers that can't be you know, you know, not talked about.
Speaker 4: The five series in a row is just a consistency.
Speaker 7: That you expect that now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know you're gonna get beat at times. It's going to happen. But I do think with the talent that we have, if we you know, focus and play like we're capable of, we should win series regardless home road. So this next is going to be a good one. Diamonbacks always play us tough, and so play at their place is always difficult, So this is going to be a fun series coming up.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's a manager Dave Roberts, certainly happy with the way his team played today and all series long, and quite frankly, the way they've been playing the last three weeks is the Dodgers now on fourteen of the last seventeen. The Dodgers winners of five in a row as far as series are concerned. As they finish off the Phillies today with a nine to one victory, Let's go out to my guy Blake in Colorado.
Speaker 4: Blake, welcome to Dodger Talk. How you doing today.
Speaker 1: I'm doing really, Wally good.
Speaker 7: How are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm doing fantastic.
Speaker 2: After a nine to one win, after Yamamoto gets the win, Dodgers take two or three from the Phillies. They've built their lead even bigger now in the Division. Five and a half up on San Diego, six and a half up on Arizona.
Speaker 4: Things are right right.
Speaker 1: Now, Blake, Yes, yes they all.
Speaker 2: What did you think about Ryan Ward hitting his first home run in the big leagues?
Speaker 4: What a big moment?
Speaker 7: Yes, it is a big moment.
Speaker 2: It is Yeah to see Alex frielan come back from triple A and you know, start to stack together better and better games today two for three, the double, the home run. He played some really good defense as well, made a couple of fancy plays in the ninth inning.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I saw that. Now have you ever been to Arizona.
Speaker 2: Blake in the Chase field with the retractable roof and the pool and right center field and being in downtown Phoenix, Sarah, have you ever been to that stadium?
Speaker 1: That was my very postasium I went to.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, wows what'd you think about? What was your experience like over there?
Speaker 3: It was really fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of Dodger fans when you went to that game? Was it a Dodger Diamondbacks game? What that you went to?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always a lot of Dodger fans in Arizona.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The joke is that it's La East Dodger Stadium East, just like Petco Park has become a second home for Dodger.
Speaker 4: Fans down in San Diego.
Speaker 2: Kind of feels like, well all the transplants over in the desert. There's a lot of Dodger fans at these games the next four nights, I imagine. Yeah, all right, Blake, great to hear from you, my friend.
Speaker 4: Anything else?
Speaker 1: I have one question? Why do you think up.
Speaker 3: Wine will over Alex Thomas?
Speaker 2: Uh, well, he's on the fourth I appreciate the phone call, Blake. Ryan Ward's already on the forty man roster. So it made it easier to bring him up. And I think the bigger question is James Tims the third, why didn't he get called up? And he hit another home run today. He is red hot right now as far as what he's doing in Triple A. But in order to bring up James Timms the third, who we had on Dodger Talk a week ago, on the off night, they would have to clear a spot on the forty man roster, and it was just easier at this point to bring up Ryan Ward. He's a left handed bat, He's a guy who can play left field, and Tims can do that as well.
Speaker 4: But Ryan Ward's already on the forty man roster.
Speaker 2: So it was just an easier roster maneuver for Andrew Freeman and the Dodgers. And certainly Ryan Ward should be rewarded for what he has done at the minor league level.
Speaker 4: And look what he did today.
Speaker 2: His first major league home run, a solo shot in the bottom of the fourth in the Dodgers went it nine to one over the Phillies. Dodgers baseball is brought to my Medello. Medello the mark of a fighter. We'll take a break, we'll come back We'll continue here with your phone calls. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the Dodgers beat the Phillies nine to one. Yoshinobu Yamamoto goes five and a third shut out Indians to get the victory. Brian Ward his first career Big league home run. Alex Frielan drives into pair. Freddy Freeman drives into pair. Max Monty now his team leading fourteenth.
Speaker 4: Home run of this season. Good day for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being with us here on an FI seventy LA. Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk those things. Search AM five to seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find me back to Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: Ward in the right.
Speaker 8: Field, Ryan Ward worth the wait, his first major league home run in his first game at Dodger Stadium. He's running around the bases, but MO, he may as well be floating.
Speaker 6: I guarantee you he does not feel his feet hit the ground. After seven hundred plus games at the minor league level. He has been here, he's been down, He's been back up, and welcome aboard.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Stadium. Ryan Ward, his first major league start at Dodger Stadium turns into his first major league home run, and he hits a solo shot in the bottom half of the fourth inn. He congratulations to him as the Dodgers cruise past the Phillies today with a nine to one win. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Just visit Anti seventy la sports dot com home run into your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. The Dodgers owned Andrew Painter and the Philadelphia Phillies bullpen today nine runs on thirteen hits. They almost scored in the first had traffic on the bass pass but could not push across a run, but then scored a run in the second, or running the third two more and the fourth two more and the fifth, a run of the sixth and run the seventh and running the eighth as they win it by final of nine to one. Alex Freeland drives into pair. He had a solo home run in the fourth. Two batters after Ryan Award, Alex call comes off the bench with the two run single. Max Munsey goes deep, Freddie Freeman, a couple of RBIs as well as the Dodgers get the win over the Philadelphia Phillies eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Speaking to Alex Freeland, what a day he had. He has come back to the big league level, played really good defense at second base, and today two for three, a double, at a home run. Let's go back downstairs real quick, and let's hear from the Dodgers second baseman.
Speaker 3: I'm just uber excited for Ryan Moore and on if there's anybody that deserves it more than him, So to share that moment with fam, it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Special for you personally, just being able to come back up here, get the back going pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: I mean, what does that just say as to where you're at right now at the plate?
Speaker 3: I feel confident. I mean it's a sigh of relief to see some success, but yeah, just keep it wrong. What was that moment like in the dug gap between you and Ryan We're just just happy. I mean it's been a long time coming for Ward, So, like I said, I was just really store for him. But yeah, it's a moment wheel chairsh So what's.
Speaker 7: The what's the key to?
Speaker 5: You know, when you start up here, you play well, you go down, come back up and keeping that momentum and that confidence up to when you.
Speaker 4: Get that the call back up here to perform.
Speaker 7: You just got to be in the right headspace. A lot of stuff can't go your way and it's all about how you respond. So I think if you have the the right mindset and they take care of itself, what was.
Speaker 3: What was your focus when you went down there?
Speaker 1: What kind of allowed you to have some success?
Speaker 5: A cary over coming back up here?
Speaker 7: So we go down there and get reps. Feel comfortable with my swing? She gets some success.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Alex Freeland, and good on him. You know he was sitting down a lot of people thought it would be I Sung Kim at the time. Instead it was Alex Freeland and couldn't have been happy with it. You know, he was the opening day second baseman.
Speaker 4: The last thing you.
Speaker 2: Want to do is be sent bent down a triple A because you're just not producing at the playoffensively. But that was the case, found his right headspace, as he said, goes back to Oklahoma City, gets right offensively, feels good about his swing, and he's come back and he's had some success, and today certainly a big example of that success, going two for three with a double on the home run, his fourth career game with two or more extra base hits as he finished the day two for three and a big part of the Dodgers bottom half of the lineup that scored six of their nine runs today in route to a nine to one win over the Philly Celebrate ninety years of racing at sanate Na Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payoffs every race day for heart pounting and action and new experiences visit sant and slash events. All right, that's gonna do it for Dodge to talk on this Sunday afternoon. Many thanks to Colin Ye for all his help today all day long, all game along as the Dodgers get to win over the Phillies, a weekend in which they take two to three from Philadelphia could have been a clean sweep if not for the eighth inning letdown last night from Tanners got but hey, Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Bounce back today. The Dodgers' bullpen will climb at. Guardo Enriquez put up Zeros. Jonathan Hernandez give up a.
Speaker 2: Solo home run in the ninth, but that was it as a Dodgers cruise to a nine to one victory.
Speaker 4: They take two to three from the Phillies.
Speaker 2: They go five to one on the homestand they finished a month of.
Speaker 4: My May eighteen and ten.
Speaker 2: As the Dodgers now thirty eight and twenty one overall on this season. They have now won five series in a row and now they're on their way to Phoenix for a four game series against the Snakes. What Morongo, because you know Dodgers on at Getting our cover started at five thirty Pacific tomorrow, first pitch six forty mm. Shean and Eduardo Ronriguez, the left hander, the pitching matchup in the series opener. Until then, have a great safe rest of your Sunday afternoon
Speaker 4: And join out there Dodger fans song