Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. All right, it's a reunion at the World Series. We're just in front of Game two between the Dodgers and Blue Jays, and I'm joined right now by a man that made his bones in the eight one eight or the Great one eight in West Hills. He was with the Dodgers for a brief time, but obviously superman here in Toronto, and that's the one and only Kevin Pilar. Kevin, great to see you and awesome that you have chased your dream post playing career to be an established broadcaster.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, it's pretty exciting. I mean it's something I've thought about. I mean, even back when we were together with the Dodgers. I picked your brain. You were great allowing me to come on and kind of get my feet wet in you know, media. But really I'm most excited about you know, this is my first World Series. I know you're no stranger of the World Series, but it's been really exciting to just be on the field. I mean, it's what you dream of as a player, and you know, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do it as a player, so getting it to kind of step into this role with Sportsnet and and kind of ride the coattails of the Blue Jays all the way.
Speaker 3: The World Series has been really exciting for me.
Speaker 1: All right, So since you are a broadcaster now, do you see the game the same way you did even from the dugout when you're with the Dodgers or lad in your playing career.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit different. I think people, you know, maybe in your shoes, people that sit in the stands or the press box or the audience, they always tell you the game slows down and it looks less difficult when you're in the you know, the press box or where I watch the game from. You know, I haven't lost kind of that mindset of a player from like a competitive aspect, from x's and o's, but the game definitely has slown down, you know. It's it's a lot easier to be critical of decisions that are made throughout the game because you have a lot longer time to kind of process the information. You kind of lose a sense for how quick things have to be done in game.
Speaker 3: But I always promise myself.
Speaker 2: When I got into media that I'd never forget how difficult the game is decisions, you know, swinging at pitches, you know, just the entirety of the game. And I promise myself I would never be too critical. And there's certain times throughout this postseason that you know, I've had to be honest, but I hope it comes from a good place and like it's never going to be pointed at, you know, individual, it's it's always going to be coming from a maybe a learning aspect because I hated being criticized as a player because you know, much like I'm experiencing now, the game does seem a lot easier on TV or even in the stands.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the beauty of being.
Speaker 2: A former player and and you know, jumping ship to the other side is you can offer the perspective of what it's like to be in the box, the emotions that would probably come with playing a game like this, And that's what I'm kind of here to share.
Speaker 1: You understand the method of the Dodgers. You know a lot of these players that are in this world series. What if anything should we make of a game like last night and how much it plays into Game two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's it's kind of crazy to be standing here in a World Series with these two teams.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the Blue.
Speaker 2: Jays is, you know, kind of my baby where I grew up, and you know who I'm affiliated with. But I've also been in that dugout, in that clubhouse with a lot of those guys. Obviously there's some new characters here, but I know their process, I know what they're about, I know the competitiveness, I know the hunger, and honestly, I think, you know, what happened yesterday was a wake up call to the Dodgers, you know, not that they probably you know, took the Blue Jays lightly. I don't think any team would ever take in opposing team lightly on this stage because you have to earn your way to the World Series. But I think it was a little bit of a wake up call for him. I think reality kind of set in where I don't want to say things had been easy for them, but it's been a smooth sailing for them, you know, even.
Speaker 3: A lot of those games with the Phillies.
Speaker 2: The one game that they lost was still like a very competitive close game. But I think it woke them up a little bit, and I don't think anyone in their right mind, I'm gonna say, right, mind, because I think there are some people in the stands here that are probably still riding the high off of yesterday and maybe thinking that this series is over.
Speaker 3: I think it's far from the truth.
Speaker 2: I think once again, the Dodgers, I mean, you just talk about their talent, but talent only gets you so far. It's the collection of the guys that's in that clubhouse that makes this thing go. It's the front office, it's the entire operation. And I expect them to come out a little bit different than they were last night.
Speaker 1: Styles makes fights, right, Is this a bad matchup for the Dodgers? With the way the Blue Jays offense attacks pitchers and is one of the best when it's not a fastball, and they have a lot of guys that like to throw like tonight splitters, sliders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think stylistically, I think they're they're very different type of teams.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you talk about their offense, I mean, the Blue.
Speaker 2: Jays have slugged a lot more than I think a lot of people had expected. But they're very aggressive in the zone team, very high contact, a lot strike out.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers play a little bit more of that slug game.
Speaker 2: You know, they sit on pitches, they try to do damage.
Speaker 3: They don't fear the strikeout as much as the Blue Jays do.
Speaker 2: And then when you talk about from the pitching side, the Dodgers starting pitching is as good as it gets and they're really reliant on the strikeout, and the Blue Jays pitchers, you know, they have some good starting pitching two, but they're a little bit more old school and they want to pitch the contact and try to go deep into games. It's a very interesting chess match we have here. I think from a Dodgers standpoint, they have to understand that, you know, the reality of maybe striking out ten guys a night is probably not going.
Speaker 3: To be there.
Speaker 2: That maybe shouldn't be the barometer of how their stuff is. They're maybe gonna have to maybe alter their expectations in terms of, you know, expecting swing and miss and you know, getting guys o too and being.
Speaker 3: Able to put them away. The Blue Jays do a tremendous job.
Speaker 2: Battling, and I think it's gonna go down as one of the better world series that you know, from a fans perspective and watching, because they are too stylistically different teams clashing and every night you're trying to decide, uh, you know, which side is gonna win. You know, it's not like a world series last year that you sew. The Dodgers and the Yankees were very stylistically the same, and Old simmlately was going to just come down who execute it better. This really is just two different types of styles playing on the same field, and it's very unique.
Speaker 3: I can't think of a world series, you know, in recent history that was so different in styles.
Speaker 1: Devin, awesome analysis. I think you're a natural. I think you're ready to go foul Territory Sportsnet year in Canada. Hopefully we see you back in LA when the series shifts there. So thank you for the time and great to see you again.
Speaker 3: I will be there there.
Speaker 1: He is the man, Kevin polar Watch out Ventura Boulevard. He's going to be hitting those streets and Dan super Subs very soon