Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Miguel Rojas will forever live in Dodger and baseball history for his improbable home run with the Dodgers down to their final two outs in Game seven of last year's World Series. Rojas hasn't been embracing the celebration ever since the Dodgers clinched the World Series in Toronto. The celebration continued at Dodger Fest on Saturday. Here is the Great Miguel, Here is World Series Hero Miguel Rojas. It's hard for me to get time with you, Miguel. Everybody wants a piece of you.
Speaker 3: It's being overwhelming, but uh, in a good way. You know, when you prepare for moments like that, and you what your your entire career and your entire life to get, uh, to get to the highest point that you're saying, you never think about realizing that moment twenty years after you start.
Speaker 4: Your professional career.
Speaker 3: But that's what happened to me in Game seven. But obviously there's no Game seven without Game six.
Speaker 4: And that's why I'm so proud the way that I play.
Speaker 3: Game six, because I got in there because of my defense.
Speaker 4: I got in there because.
Speaker 3: Of my energy and the things that I can bring to the thing other than the hitting a home run. And it's crazy to believe that now everybody's going to remember me for hitting a home run in the game sevens all wards ears for me.
Speaker 4: Not being a home run hitting my whole career.
Speaker 3: But I mean, things happen for a reason, and I'm not gonna walk away from it happened to me because I prepare and I got ready for the opportunity. And I'm glad that the Dodgers got the chance to win the Ward Series again.
Speaker 1: Everywhere you go around Los Angeles, kids of all ages are wearing Dodger jerseys the championship hats. How does it feel to be a role model for all these kids by example to never give up on yourself and never not be ready for the opportunity whenever it comes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's really cool to uh to be able.
Speaker 3: Through the the experience that you get in life and and in this sport, you can teach a lesson to a lot of people, not just the kids, but the partners as well.
Speaker 4: You know, not everybody is going to be shown and not.
Speaker 3: Everybody's going to be a Hall of Fame like Freddie Freeman and Mookie Bets.
Speaker 4: But teams are our bible.
Speaker 3: To kind of have a lot of different characters on a team.
Speaker 4: And I feel like if you're willing to work.
Speaker 3: Every single day and sacrifice a lot of things, uh to do what you want to do, uh, You're going to have good results. So I feel like a lot of people can actually look theirselves in the mirror and say, I got an opportunity to be a Miguel.
Speaker 4: Row has in whatever I do, Uh, come in uh.
Speaker 3: When the people needs me, and when the opportunity is given to me, and and don't make sure you're ready and make sure you are you're taking everything into consideration to be ready for that chance.
Speaker 1: All your teammates have always told me nobody has hands like Miguel Rojas. But in game six, when you took the short hot from Key k Hernandez, that looked more difficult than it appeared. Then you made it look And then the play that you made with the infield in to be able game of inches to throw a strike to Will Smith, what was the more challenging play to be able to pull off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely Game seven play because it's a do or that plays a backsack and said, well, you know you're playing in field in right there, wishing for something that they hit right at you, and it wasn't definitely was hitting a right at me.
Speaker 4: Was a couple of steps to my right. You know, I have to go there.
Speaker 3: I have to get on my knees, glove the ball, get back on my feet and make a good throw home play.
Speaker 4: I think if I don't make that play.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter what else you know, like what else you can do to help the team until that point, it's all it's all kind of like battling through all the indies that we have to play during that series. There's no Joshioyamamoto MVP. I mean a lot of peop but will remember him still for what he did. But uh, I mean, if I don't make the play, he's getting over and and we're not.
Speaker 4: Celebrating, and we're not back to back champions.
Speaker 1: If you don't make those plays, if you don't hit that home run, the Dodgers would be going home all right, back to back champions. Now, Miguel, how do you guys stay hungry for that three.
Speaker 3: P Yeah, for for this moments like this, seeing the fans excitement around this building like always you know.
Speaker 4: Uh, these people know.
Speaker 3: How to pack this place every single night for six three months, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then when you have.
Speaker 3: The key of the chain on top, make him move to make your team better and compete again for for another championship and not being okay.
Speaker 4: Just because we won the last two. Uh.
Speaker 3: I think that's that give you the motivation to go to the sprint training, to fight for the spot and to fight for for.
Speaker 4: Something that that is bigger than.
Speaker 3: Jose yourself, is a is for the whole city, for the whole community, and for the organization.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: We deserve the opportunity to go back together to that sprint training plus guys that wants to be here and wants to be part of this uh.
Speaker 4: And I think we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have a chance to have a real chat to threepeat something that not everybody can say that got the opportunity.
Speaker 1: To the run it back for that three peat. Miguel Rojas is such a big part of this Dodger team, not only last year, but the last three years. All Right, Miguel, I had to explain some backstory. Miguel Rojas is our guest because I was asked about Team Venezuela and you not being able to get the insurance to play in this year's World Baseball Classic. I was asked this past week, and I had to give some context. I'm not sure all these reporters that were asking you about that remember the fact that you sacrificed not playing for Team Venezuela and the World Baseball Classic because of your responsibility to be able to stay with the Dodgers, because of just how your body was feeling and the opportunity. Does that make it even more frustrating that you have this opportunity and for some reason they won't allow you to play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the whole situation is frustrating to me.
Speaker 3: And going back to twenty twenty three, I was in a totally different position. You know. I was kind of on the prime of my career and even though I got to the Dodgers, I wasn't supposed to be the every day short stup until something happened to Gavin Locks and they decided to kind of like gave me the opportunity to play every day.
Speaker 4: And I feel like playing every day in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: Requires a really little a little stream preparation when it comes to at bats in spring training and getting ready for that.
Speaker 4: At that moment, my opportunity to represent.
Speaker 3: Venezuela wasn't going to be to play every day as sure. My at bats and my opportunity were going to be limited if I go to the WBC. And that's why I make the decision that I needed to get at bats because I was coming out of the surgery from my wrist and I needed to get the bats.
Speaker 4: I needed to get my timing.
Speaker 3: Down for a full season, and I ended up playing one hundred and fifty close games for the Dollyers that that year and we went to the playoff, we won one hundred games, and I think I made the right decision at the moment.
Speaker 4: Definitely was a really tough one because you always want to represent your country and that's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be kind of like in the top of the priorities for the player.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, I thought, I got.
Speaker 3: Another opportunity in twenty twenty six to represent my.
Speaker 4: Country, and it's a it's such.
Speaker 3: A bomber that I'm not gonna be able to do it just because I'm I'm thirty seven years old and you're thirty seven I guess, I guess thirty seven years old and I'm still playing for the best team, and you never went to pay a L last year ever went on the I L and that we need a little bit more of clarification on the on the teams that are going on, you know. But I'm really sad, not just because of me, but I'm saying the news of other players like the hotel too. For our country, a guy that has always been there, always being representing our country, it's being one of our best representative no matter what if it's a WBC, the Big Leagues and the World Series and MVPs and all the I think everybody who wants to represent the country should have the opportunity to do it, especially if you know you're healthy and you can contribute to with the whole.
Speaker 1: Thing without a doubt, without a doubt. The World Baseball Classic has a lot of holes to be able to be taken as seriously as they want to be taken. So I'm gonna be happy to see you in spring training because your energy, your leadership, you need that and there's not gonna be Key k Hernandez at the beginning. So you know, you guys, you guys made things go.
Speaker 2: For a lot of guys last year.
Speaker 1: So the Dodgers need you. This is not just a victory lap, right, Miguel Rojas means business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Definitely, we're gonna show up to the sprint training this year with the same attitude and the same hunger. You know. Definitely we're gonna enjoy The sprint training is gonna be a regular one this year. We're gonna We're gonna be there for six weeks and we wanna work on everything that we need to work on to be ready for sprint for for opening Day. Definitely, you mentioned a name that it's really valuable for us. Kick he Ernandez is part of this and hopefully he can be part of a group that wants to compete for three times in a row World City Champions And I know he will be a great addition to this team and everybody in this club out one Kick to be back, So first he needs to take care of business and and get back to one hundred percent healthy. I know his arm and his work Kait is going to take him there. But I'm really I'm really hopeful that Kick is going to be back with us, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Miguel Rojas world serious hero.
Speaker 4: Thank you, brother, a champion to the people.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles loved him, but now forever his new home will always be Los Angeles. Thank you for the time, and of course you know you always have a place in our hearts, even before that home run.
Speaker 3: Of course, come on, it's been a twelve year relationship, yes right here, ever since twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I know him when