Speaker 1: Now the financial information that just might change your life. This is the Bloomberg Money Minute on seven hundred WLW. Already it's time to say good morning once more to Denise Pelagreenie from the Bloomberg newsroom in New York City. Denis continuing drama on and on between President Trump and the FED, apparently now escalating a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, when I watched that video that FED Chair J Powell posted on the FED website, it's Sunday night, it's just highly unusual and he I mean, this is just my interpretation, but he looked pretty uncomfortable. But at the same time, you had to know, or you had to assume that he wouldn't be doing that if he didn't have some support, maybe from some of the nation's banks who were maybe a little bit ticked off by President Trump saying that they should cut the interest rates on credit cards to ten percent for a year. But on top of that, we had to wonder if FED Chair J. Powell maybe had some international support or some domestic support from other policymakers. So now we're learning more about this because three former heads of the US Federal Reserve talked about Janet Yellen, Ben Bernanke Alan Greenspan all stepping out now and criticizing the criminal probe ordered by the Trump administration into the FED. They warned that investigation could further undermine the central banks independence, and we're hearing something similar from central bankers in Europe as well, talking about the EU and also the Bank of England. So it's going to maybe be more support for FED Chair J Powell in this standoff. That's just highly unusual. None of us have ever seen anything like this.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, natural wine is skyrocketing popularity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean natural wine natty wine as they like to call it. It features minimal intervention. There's no definition for this. It's not like it has to be certified organic, for example, but it does usually feature organic or biodynamic grapes, fewer, no synthetic chemicals, pesticides, and they use typically native yeasts for fermentation and few additives that you know the way they usually manipulate wine's taste with sugar, acid or tennins, so what you get is kind of a unique, earthy, funky flavor, and millennials and gen z apparently globally really like this stuff. In the US and elsewhere, the number of global spots now offering this natural or natty wine jump sixty percent to twenty twenty four from twenty twenty one, according to a front app But Paris is still the world's capital. So I guess if you want to appreciate you know, in its fullness, got to go to Paris.
Speaker 3: Darka well, um hardship, I know, yeah, right. Our futures this morning.
Speaker 2: Futures are lower. They're kind of close to session lows at least since I've been here. Dow futures now down one oh three s and P futures down by eight, Nasdaq futures down fifty two. We will be getting a report on inflation in just a few minutes. That'll be very closely watched. Also, we could could get a big ruling from the Supreme Court today on the legality of some of President Trump's tariffs. Not clear when that ruling is going to come out, but when it does happen, that could impact financial markets as well. President Trump is warning an adverse ruling for him could cause casts as companies kind of line up and say, Okay, if the tariffs weren't legal, I want the money I paid back. He says that would be impossible and to cause a lot of problems from Bloomberg. I'm Denise Pelgrine on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: All right, a pleasure to be joined by our legal lantist here on the Big One, seven hundred WLW, local attorney James Bogan and James.
Speaker 3: Good morning. Let's get right into a few things.
Speaker 1: We've got about ten minutes here and I want to cover a few Let's start with everything going on in Minneapolis with the protesters and so forth after the shooting of the woman. Let me ask you a question. Was Sheep breaking the law in any way?
Speaker 4: She absolutely was.
Speaker 5: She was disobeying lawful commands to get out of her car. First, she was blocking the street. And the thing is, you got people on the left saying, oh, she was exercising her right to free speech. The right to free speech only protects speech, not conduct. It doesn't give you the right to do physical things that break the law like blocking the street to block the ice agents or blocking the street period and then refusing to get out of the car when she was told to by the officers and then trying to drive off. So yeah, she absolutely did break the law. And if she hadn't been shot dead, she'd be facing criminal charges.
Speaker 4: She'd be.
Speaker 5: She could be charged with assault on a federal officer. And for to have an assault, you don't need actual contact. If the agent was put in reasonable fear of harm, which.
Speaker 4: I believe he was.
Speaker 5: It's like if you shoot at an officer and you miss because you know a vehicle, and since the vehicle is involved, which is legally considered a weapon, as you know from a certain murder case I'm handling in the news, ye, that is.
Speaker 4: That she could have.
Speaker 5: Been facing a significant prison sentence.
Speaker 1: Hey speaking of, And the case you're referring to you're involved with is the hint In case running over the sheriff's deputy up there in Clifton, killing him after he saw the video of his son who had been shot dead by a police officer. I made the comment earlier today James Bogan, attorney here in Cincinnati, that the old adage used to be crime doesn't pay. Apparently in Cincinnati, crime does pay.
Speaker 4: Well. I can't make any comment.
Speaker 3: On that, but ill, let's go back, let's do this, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Crime did pay when it comes to because I beg your pardon, of course, go back though to even the protesters in the summer of twenty twenty, they were just recently handed eight point one million dollars by the city. And again, like you're saying with the woman sadly who was shot and killed in Minnesota, those people were breaking the law.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were staying out past curfew.
Speaker 5: And I don't know the exact idemization of everything they were doing besides protesting.
Speaker 4: But again, the cardinal.
Speaker 3: Rule that every law.
Speaker 5: Student learns in constitutional law class is that the First Amendment only protects speech.
Speaker 4: Not conduct.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's one oh one stuff when you go to law school. Okay, Now I want to get into a case, A couple of cases you can talk a little bit about, and those are the two being heard today oral arguments in the Supreme Court of the United States that could determine whether states can ban transgender athletes who identify as women born male from competing on girls and women's sports team. It's a legal fight. Some stay have far reaching implications on transgender policies across the country, which would include the military and so forth. These cases are being brought in Idaho and West Virginia. What can you tell us that basically is any different than what we know already about biological boys that are playing in girls' sports, and in many states that is still legal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, these cases, the plaints in these cases, the affected transgender athletes that filing the suits are claiming their.
Speaker 4: Title nine.
Speaker 5: Rights are being violated, you know, being denied participation and sports. And the thing is with the biological differences between men and women. I believe allow showing biological boys and men to compete against girls and women violates Title nine because the difference between men's and women's performance is I'm sure you've covered this, it's about ten to twelve percent, and taking hormones and blockers.
Speaker 4: Does not mitigate those effects.
Speaker 5: I mean, you remember the swimmer Leah Thomas from pen went from being number four hundred and sixty two among college men in the two hundred yard freestyle to being number one among college women. And Leah Thomas's time only regressed by two point sixty six percent with a year of hormones and blockers, not the ten to twelve percent.
Speaker 4: The difference between men and women.
Speaker 5: And at the college level, you're talking about not just scholarships, a spot on the team, a spot on the travel team, a spot in the starting lineup all things, or qualifying for NCAA's missing by a spot, or missing qualifying for finals or consolation finals, which Dan Carroll's son was on the Virginia Tech swim team, teammates with the one girl in the five hundred yard freestyle who missed making the evening finals by one spot because of Leah Thomas. And at the high school level, you're talking about, you know, spot on a team, spot on varsity starting.
Speaker 4: Lineup, and so on, so.
Speaker 5: And it's very clear girls and women get displaced by biological guys ye competing as boys and girls. And it's and by the way, when girls take hormones or women take you know, male hormones, they don't become as good as men, not even close.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. You know, we always hear about the American Civil Liberties Union through the history of our country. There have been a lot of things that they have surprised us with that they actually get behind and stay for. There are a lot of things that don't surprise us about the a c l U at all. The question I have, based on your experience, and you've had a lot of it with the ACLU, why are they not defending women's rights, why are they defending trans rights in these cases?
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, this is where you see the far far left taking over that the Democratic Party or you know, those kinds of causes, and women who try to speak out against this stuff are effectively being silenced and you know, blacklisted or whatever else.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm curious if if these decisions, and let's assume for a second and look based on the past with this particular Supreme Court, they have cided with the Trump administration on this being not a violation of Channel nine of Title nine, as you brought up earlier. The bottom line, do you think these two cases and these two decisions are going to put this to bed once and for all, or is this going to be, you know, like the hamster running around on the circle over and over and over and over.
Speaker 5: I mean, these cases here only addressed a narrow issue. Can states ban this stuff? It's a state's rights thing. It doesn't say anything about I don't think the court can only address the narrow issue that's in front of it. They can't broaden outside of the specific legal question raised. But Riley Gaines and company have another separate lawsuit coming through the pipeline.
Speaker 4: It's still the trial court level. It was filed in federal.
Speaker 5: Court in Atlanta that basically says allowing guys to compete against girls does violate Title nine. Is a lawsuit against the NCAA and some other parties.
Speaker 3: Well this whole thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I had a daughter that competed in athletics and I just can't for the life of me, for the life of me, I cannot understand how there are and I don't think there's really in terms if you were to put a percentage on it, I think it would be far less than fifteen percent of people actually support these biologically born males competing in women's sports. But there is a ten to fifteen percent of the American population very much in that favor. They would never be in favor of it if you had a daughter who was born a biological female and having to compete. And we have seen some of the examples in recent years, whether it's volleyball, you talked about swimming, the dominance the power of the born male compared to a female in a lot of cases, James Bogan, it's dangerous, it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, you had that.
Speaker 5: North Carolina high school volleyball player who was permanently injured by a spike to the face from a transgender opponent. And you know when you have the physical sports, I mean, just some years back, you had that MMA fighter Mixed martial arts fighter fallon Fox who absolutely destroyed female opponent broker, eye socket and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we saw it in the Olympic Games. And that person now would be no longer able to compete in the Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be fascinating.
Speaker 5: That person was actually not transgender technically, but the same effect, was born with both male and female organs and had the x Y chromosome, who effectively went through puberty as a male, but same effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, James Bogan, I mean, go ahead, finish if you will.
Speaker 5: And quite frankly, that fight, those fights looked like if you remember Rocky four when Ivan Drago pummeled Apollo Free, that's what.
Speaker 4: It looked like.
Speaker 1: You're exactly right, James. Can't thank you enough for your time, my friend. All the best in everything that you have going on, and we'll check in with you again sometime soon, I hope.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your time. Have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Tom.
Speaker 1: Always a privilege, my pleasure. A fella's Look. Have you made a news years resolution to get in better health? Those are always a big one, but maybe you know the energy is a little low. You can't get going, not sleeping as well, not seeing the progress in the gym, staying committed, that can be tough. You're likely suffering from low testosterone, and starting in our thirties, we lose two to three percent of our testosterone production every single year. So now you go through five years, ten years, fifty, twenty years of that. Low testosterone can cause problems. But our friends at Tri Statemen's Health are the experts in treating low testosterone. Go to Tri statemenshealth dot com, Book and appointment. Okay, you walk in the door, You're probably gonna be in and out in thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: You give them a little blood, They run.
Speaker 1: A PSA test, a testosterone test. They come back with a results. You sit down with a licensed medical provider and go through your options. The cost is ninety nine bucks unless you sign up for testosterone treatment the day of your appointment, then your visit is free. Tri State Men's Health six location, Cincinnati, Daighton two in Columbus. Those are Hilliard and Westerville, Louisville, and Northern Kentucky. Call them today at one eight hundred nine hundred ninety sixty five four or visit tri statemenshealth dot com, La Marathon Champion and Cincinnati Through and Through Julie Isfordy. She's with us at eight thirty eight every single Tuesday to talk about health, whether it's physical health, mental health. Today we're going to talk about some of the newest health trends, if you will. Are they researched or do they have just really really good marketing.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Julie, Hi.
Speaker 6: Tom, what a great show. I got to listen a lot more to the show today.
Speaker 3: What a great show you want, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Know I've become as I've watched my wife go through it, I've just become so interested in trying to relay as much information as I can to a lot of our female listeners, especially you know, the whole menopause, saying, I just it is such a struggle for so many women out there, and there are more and more studies that are being done about it and so forth. Anyway, I want to talk with you today though about some of these. You know, I got a guy who lives across the street from me. This guy looks like Hercules, right, I mean, he's what I refer to as country strong.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: He's from down in Athens, Ohio. Great dude, successful guy. But he comes walking out of his house every single day and I'll see him an hour and a half later walking back. And this guy's got to go to twenty two thirty strong man and he's got one of these weighted vest on his back. Right now, what are your thoughts about, you know, enhancing your workouts with these weighted vests.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's all over the market right now, and it's being marketed more to women than men. If you you know, once again, you know, as you said earlier in the show, women going through menopause, losing bone moots, all these weighted vests. They're making these unbelievable promises. One little forty four dollar weighted vest is going to give you more weight loss, fat reduction, build muscles. They're going to increase your bone density. I'm really, really, really nervous about these because think about it, Tom, here, put this vest on. Let me put fifteen pounds of weight on you. Fifteen pounds a minute. First of all, that sounds awful, doesn't it as it does? And then it's an ill fitting suit you don't know if it even fits right which one you bought for maybe on sale for thirty dollars. And then what the studies are showing if you talk. I've talked to a couple of doctors, you know, getting ready for the show. And then I've talked to some people who you have used them, and what they say is think and it does make sense. It's going to increase all the spine stress on your body, especially if your posture isn't perfect. So if you have a little bit of a poor posture, and I have poor posture, I mean we said nobody has perfect posture unless you're talking to sort of an Olympic skier or an Olympic skater, or they have perfect posture. Olympic gold sponsors posture will call it. But all these weighted vests are leading to core fatigue, overuse injuries. And also, I mean you think of the little things the cardiovascular strain. You know, you're putting more resistance on your heart and lung, you know, walking up hill in hilly Cincinnati. Now, let me put ten pounds of weight on you. In many respects, it's like carrying a baby, carrying a bag of dog food, carrying like think about it. I mean, I'd like to be open minded about things, but not so open minded that our brains fall out.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, that's one of the things they talk about, is a key's disadvantage of it is not only the weight stressing. You talked about your back, but it's all your joints, your hips, your knees, your spine, your ankles. I'm sure there are good things to it, but it did point out something that you made number one there, and that is your posture. If it doesn't fit right right all of a sudden, it can lead to so many issues, especially with your back, but other major joints. Do you see anything positive about it?
Speaker 6: I am having a hard time with being a lot of positive about it. Yeah, if you're going to go hike the Appalachian Trail, you go get fitted for a really nice backpack, or you're going hiking with the family and you know you're gonna have to carry your gear. But you know, once again, I want to stress. Even then you go get a proper backpack, you're fitted for the backpack. You increase, you know, the weight in the backpack gradually. So I'm really really having a hard time rationalizing why you want to would change your center of gravity, why you want to take maybe a compromise posture, a posture that hasn't worked out or has been sitting, and then a lot of weight to it. When it's hard enough just to go out and have a traditional walk on Cincinnati Hills, think about it. I'd rather have people to go back to your basics, go for a walk with your best friend, and challenge yourself on a hillier walk, a longer walk, a hillier run, a longer run, and think about it. Think about have you ever put on a bulletproof veest? Think of all our policemen, if weighted vests are so good. We've had a lot of skinny police people walking around right with beautiful possible point, and I don't think they are. And I don't think you'll hear a policeman say, oh yay, I get to add fifteen pounds of a weighted bulletproof vest on every morning, and I've got to carry that thing on.
Speaker 4: Me all day.
Speaker 7: I just, yeah, it just doesn't make sense for me, especially when you add in the cots in the ill fitting sizes, and when you.
Speaker 6: Don't have to.
Speaker 1: Just say no, okay, now I want to get to another fitness device, and that is what's called a vibration plate. If you've not seen one of those, basically, these look like a scale that you would step on. They're a little bit bigger, little wider. They come in different sizes and so forth, but basically they're using high frequency vibrations to stimulate muscles, enhance your strength, circulation, balance, flexibility, so on and so forth. They're generally used for workouts, some may use for pain relief, recovery, etc. Your thoughts initially about these vibration plates, I'm.
Speaker 6: Glad you brought up what they are. In the claims they make, they these things vibrate at high speeds, I mean high speeds. If you've ever gotten on one, it's very disconcerting to me. And I went and tried one because I once again I want to I like trying everything before I talk about it. But they make incredible claims. It's amazing what you know. Once again, a forty dollars piece of ecquintment is going to just miraculously change you overnight. But here's once again where I really want to stress. I just don't want people to look for miracle cure. I don't think there's a substitute for just active traditional exercise, A yoga class, a pilates class, a weightlifting class, you know, a class with a personal trainer, just some stuff you talked about earlier in the show for women, you know, traditional weightlifting, dumbbelts, push up, things like that. I also think there's lots of physical risks if you get on one. I was carsick. I mean literally, I was dizzy. Later on in the day, I got a headache, and I just didn't feel comfortable the rest of the day. And then, of course there's danger for certain conditions. What if you're pregnant, you have a pacemaker, what if you have offsteoporosis, what if you are going through menopause and you're struggling with other health issues, and then you're going to sit on something that's going to vibrate you. I don't think so. And then of course potential injury after improper use. Here comes the back pain.
Speaker 4: Again, which is if you look at some of the.
Speaker 6: Top causes of you know, top pain issues right now, it is back pain and this will just make matters worse. Or if you have hip pain. I mean, I'm not going to ever put someone like you. You know, you have different you know your hip you said your hips bothering you. I'm going to put you on a vibration plate and just jiggle you and vibrant. I just don't think it's a good idea, and there's very limited evidence. I mean, all these claims, they look really good on peaper, and I'm sure there's some small studies that they have benefited a very small part of the population. But I really think that you have to think a little bit harder and don't complicate your exercise. There's too many other complications in life. I thought exercise was supposed to be fun. I'll come with all these rules and all these things you have to do to keep up. It's just it's not fun anymore. And so I don't think a vipration plate would be fun. It might be fun, you know, for someone else, but I don't think for an aging population it's such the best idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, the last one I want to ask you about. I mean, I feel like every time I turn on the television there's something about how I can sleep better and different medications out there right right, you know, at the end of the day, and we've come to learn more and more, Julie, you talk about it all the time. I talked about a study that just came out. I was talking about it with a friend of mine last night. That, yes, how much you sleep is very important. Your sleep schedule apparently is even more important. But when it comes to getting to sleep. There are a lot of people, my wife one of them, has a hard time sleeping. What are your thoughts about some of these sleep aids? Are any of them any good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, who wants to take medications? First of all, I mean who in this world would want to take yet one more supplement, one more medication. So once again, if you talk to doctors, if you research, they're like the last thing you want to do. So once again, go back to the basics. A lot of you know, there's proven studies out there that technology is killing us. You know, we want to you know, doom scrolling before bed? Do you want to just check one more thing? Maybe I should check the weather. And the next thing you're doing is you're just going through your phone doing all kinds stuff. You get caught up in that. So that's one thing I would rather have people turn to that and then going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time every day. Now, I hate talking to you about that because I know your schedule, tom and it's really really hard. So you've got to be a nap guy. I've got to get you to take more naps. But it's proven that if you stay on the steady schedule that that will train your brain and your body to go to sleep. The other thing that they've been talking about is the cutting off your caffeine. You know a lot of people are doing these energy drinks. I don't know what are in some of these drinks. People are teeking. I mean, read your labels, don't you know. Cut off your caffeine, cut off your you know, all those drinks you're taking. Another thing that's really interesting this month is a lot of my friends and a lot of people around me are on dry January, and all of a sudden, people are going, gosh, I got a good night, three plast night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know, there might be a correlation.
Speaker 3: There's definitely a correlation.
Speaker 1: I was just reading a lot about this yesterday and I'm going to talk about it more tomorrow. There's no doubt about it. Look I like having a beer too as much as the next guy, But I mean the effects alcohol can have on your ability not necessarily to fall asleep, but to sleep well and get a good night sleep. Some of the studies that are coming out are just fascinating. Jewels, I got to run your insight on this. I just think is just so refreshing and not getting caught up in all the fad stuff out there. And so you and I are going to talk about a few other things next week, and I'm very much looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I can't wait. Have a great rest your day.
Speaker 6: Okay, thanks Tom, all.
Speaker 1: Right, you'll see you later. Let's check in with our buddy, Chuck Ingram. I know he's getting good night's sleep every night, trying to well, trying to m hm. And how are we doing now? It's been a very busy morning for you, mister Ingram.
Speaker 8: Still a couple of spots where you're going to need plenty of extra time. This from the U S Health Traffic Center. The U S Health Women's Sports Medicine Program provides specialized care for female athletes at all levels scheduling appointment online at ucehealth dot com. Start with southbound seventy five, where crews continue to clean up an accident at Paddock right lane and contraflow lane continue to get by. You're backed up into Sharonville. That's over a twenty minute delay. They cleared the wreck on westbound two seventy five near five mile, but I'm still seeing some pretty heavy traffic through Anderson Township.
Speaker 3: Making your way towards Kellogg.
Speaker 8: There's no wreck on southbound seventy one, but you're looking at the better part of an extra half hour between fields Irdle and Red Bank in Bend. Seventy four slows a bit coming down the hill from you know what ben break light since the bub Montana Chuck Ingram News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Gonna be a nice day out there, says Jennifer Ketchmark from Channel nine. We're getting up to fifty degrees today, mix of sun and clouds, tonight rain after eight o'clock tomorrow we get some light showers in the morning, and then a cold front comes in and we could see tomorrow between noon and four about a half inch of snow, and then tomorrow night it starts to get really cold, and it will stay really cold for the better part of a week.
Speaker 3: Dry but high.
Speaker 1: Have twenty five on Thursday, Friday and Saturday combined about an inch and a half more of snow. And we're staying in the mid twenties during the highs of the days through the weekend and the early part of next week, and our nights will be in the teens. So start to bundle up beginning tomorrow night. You know, man, with the new year, here comes a chance to make real positive changes in your life. How many out there have a mediocre sex life? Enough? Could it be really good? Maybe the pills are okay, but could they be better?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: When it comes to erectile dysfunction, it can harm your intimacy and have devastating effects on a relationship. Try State Men's Health. Their treatments work when the pills or the herbels fail. They have treatments with success rates well over ninety percent. Try Statemen's Health has six locations, Cincinnati, Dayton, two in Columbus. They're in Hilliard and Westerville, Louisville and Northern Kentucky. It's a new year. Make the resolution to treat your ed and change your life. Give them a call today at one eight hundred nine hundred nine six five four, or log on to try statemenshealth dot com. We tell you every time. Before we get out of here today, let's make it a fun day for a rescue dog or cat. Contact your local dog rescue, apply to be a foster, or even apply to adopt a dog or a cat. They're looking for a second chance, and they'll always give you every day a second chance.
Speaker 3: We'll catch up with you, Maniana.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Sean McMahon, our engineer and producer, and I'm Tom Brenneman on the morning show seven hundred WLW Census.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Capitol one What's in Your Wallet?
Speaker 3: Capital One offers no fees or minimums on checking accounts and most