Speaker 1: Rock's got a lot of games coming up, right, He's all over the place. Kids like emailed me all the time.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Uh but well, but Jason from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot com and Jason used to be on the kind of city political beat, and you would be all about this, and I know you friends still follow it.
Speaker 1: I'd be hot taking away on this. Yes, well, let's.
Speaker 3: Get one of your partners who can do that with us. He has been writing about this, He writes about downtown, he writes about all the all the happenings downtown. But he's our city hall guy, now city hall guy. He is Scott Wartman, Scott, always a pleasure, buddy. Welcome back to the program.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Scoop so uh so Scott, Uh what are we What did we glean from today? The police chiefs well, ain't gonna let hers all be fired.
Speaker 1: What what happened?
Speaker 5: Yea?
Speaker 1: It is not resolved.
Speaker 4: So the police chief is not going to go down without a fight. She's not Teresa Stichi's not going to leave willingly.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: It was confirmed by her attorneys. The city manager called her back from Denver after the resign.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: She is refusing the resign. Uh, and I guess we now wait the city to do whatever they're going to do. There's the city manager announced an internal investigation into her quote unquote effectiveness as a leader, whatever that means. And Uh, then I guess we'll go from there. But it appears that this will be a protracted legal battle.
Speaker 1: Scott reading your story the main headline you with the David Ferrar fellow Inquire reporter on the main the main store in sin Say dot com right now, in which Teresa Thigi's attorney, Stephen M with the Finny Law firm, says, quote, they're looking for a scalp. They're looking for a scapegoat, the scapegoat for all the crime and the high profile incidents that are happening. Essentially, is that fair to characterize it?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that what he's saying?
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean he didn't say it in so many words, but I mean yes, that's essentially when the relationship between g and the administration soured.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And he speculated, he being Stephen M, speculated that it was after the shooting that happened on Fountain Square that was when this whole thing kind of snowballed. We the Enquirer had asked after a puir val, do you have confidence in the chief, and he wouldn't answer yes or no, which was different than a few weeks earlier when he wouldn't hesitate to say yes, I am confident in the chief. And then within a day they had asked the chief to return from a conference in Denver and after the resign so it seemed to that was the I don't know if you want to say it was the straw or if it was the spark, but that was when this whole thing came to a head. Was after that shooting on October thirteenth that happened in front of a lot of people. It was very visible. I mean, that's the heart of downtown. And that's when the city, I guess, felt like they needed to do something, I guess. And this is where we are now.
Speaker 1: Scott Wortman from the Inquiry with A Scott not just that incident on Fountain Square, but did Chief DG's response to that in a press conference there right, I believe it was right on Fountain Square or some and she said something along the lines of behave, learn to behave, and it was and it kind of and I know She got panned pretty hard by some national conservative pundits for that. Do you think not just the incident itself, but do you think her response to that maybe played into sparking. You know, it was it wasn't a good look for her, But nonetheless, you know, I think she meant well in what she was saying. But do you think that's played a part in this too, because that was all around the same time things seem to go really south.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've not heard anyone at city Hall, and I've been camped out there for days. They've been pretty much everyone there's been reluctant to talk, but I've not heard anyone bring up her comments specifically. In fact, i've heard the Scottie Johnson Kelseman Scottie Johnson, who heads the Public Safety Committee, which oversees the police budget, among other things, he said something very simil within days after that that you know, parents need to, you know, make sure that they in Still don't remember his exact quote, but yeah, he put the onus on parents and the citizens. So it wasn't only the police chief saying something to that effect. But I have not heard anyone say her comments specifically. But I think it was more just the perception that something needs to be done, and this perception that there's a danger downtown isn't going away. Uh uh So you know, I think it isn't just the shooting on Fountain Square. I mean, this is something obviously it's been boiling all summer and in the city council and Mayor's race, but this is kind of it was kind of the one of the more visible incidents that you know that jump started everything.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Scott Wardman from the Inquiry and guys, let's face it, it started with that viral video of the little incident there in the early more back in late July, back in late July when that happened downtown on the weekend. But Scott, let me ask you, in talking to folks, why do you get the impression that the uh the support for your chief CG is I mean, is it uh orth eg is?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Are they behind her?
Speaker 4: Is? Yeah? The even though they she's had her critics in the department, the FOP and a lot of officers are rallying behind her saying that they don't feel like she's been treated fairly. And we've had some now Council members express dismay that this is all playing out in public. This needs to be resolved a lot quicker. So there appears to be a lot of dissatisfaction on how this is among the FOP and some council members on how this is, how this has rolled out and been handled by the administration.
Speaker 1: Scott, You've been covering politics and government in this town and region for a long time, and so you you've seen a lot as of I we've seen a lot of you know, someone gets mad at someone and there's a political fight or and then the next thing you know, it's, uh, you know, there's a severance package. Sure, I'm thinking about Harry Black when him and John Cranley got into the city former city manager. That was a high profile fight, publicly city council was involved. Next thing you know, Harry Black's got his severance package and never to be heard from again. Is this a case where Teresa Thichi is just basically saying no, I'm not going to do that, and even if it's not, I'm not even going to get the money that the accountability piece of this and saying the truth and keeping my name, you know, setting the record straight is more important than you know, signing it because a lot of times, most of the time these comes with a non disclosure, non disparagement clause and doesn't sound like she's interested in any of that. Am I right on that? Or is it? Do you think ultimately that's how it's covered.
Speaker 4: Her attorney was very clear that she wants to be still be chief and wants to be back on the job. He wouldn't say. He declined to say whether the city offered her any type of severance, so we don't know what was offered behind closed doors. Her contract doesn't specify anything as far as severance. It just says she gets the police pension and she can buy her firearm upon retirement. But beyond that, we don't know what the city offered. But her attorney was clear that she wants to remain police chief and be back on the job, So it doesn't seem like she's willing to settle.
Speaker 3: Scott Warburn's our guest and Scott hearing that, and again, everybody you've talked to, what do you think the if you were a betting man, what do you suppose that her odds of maintaining that job are.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's kind of tough when the leaders want you out, I don't know how you do the job, uh get back because that was the question that uh several reporters today asked like, well, how would you if you stay on the job and go back on the job, how do you do that in this environment? And her attorney said that she she could, she could maintain a professional relationship and she wants to get back to business. Uh so, I mean, you know, I I'm not a betting man. I just support what you know, what happens. But uh, that that that is a huge that would be a huge obstacle. And I don't see if you know, both the city manager and.
Speaker 1: The well the well the mayor.
Speaker 4: Has not said one way or the other other he's said that he does. He wouldn't say whether he had confidence in her. But uh yeah, that's that that that's a tough one as far as uh, you know, being able to get back on the job when the management uh ask you to resign.
Speaker 1: You know, Scott, it's an election year and city council, certainly it's a pretty heated race for city council. Interestingly, City council, at least city councils of the past have always liked to have hearings, and almost seemingly every member wants to weigh in on a big issue like this. This council, though, hasn't had any hearings and has been conspicuously and generally quiet about this whole issue. What do you make of that? Is it because they're all up for most of them are up for reelection. I know one person's not running for reelection, but does that playing into the fact that they're saying pretty quiet?
Speaker 4: I mean they won't They won't tell me or anyone publicly.
Speaker 1: I saw your story, right.
Speaker 4: They don't want to talk about it at all, except a few of them have now released like statements a day or two later. But it was I camp out at city Hall for several days and there was no information coming from anyone, quite caial members, administration. A lot of doors were closed, lights were turned off in offices. I mean, your guess is as good as mine. But it seems like it's an issue that they don't see as politically advantageous or a good look. So in any event, yeah, it's been tough getting any comments from people.
Speaker 1: All right, well, curious or and curious here guys skilled old city Hall drama man, right, Scott, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Always the pleasure, Thanks.
Speaker 3: Buddy Scott to Wardman from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot com. And and that's funny what you just said about you know, council members are always ready to hold a hearing.
Speaker 1: But hearing about a hearing about a hearing? Correct about this time. We'll see what happens after the.
Speaker 3: First of the year. Right now, we check in with traffic and weather. What's going on.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center and Mamma Graham saved lives called five win three five eight four pink. Scheduled your annual mammogram with the YOUC Health Sexpert team. Five win three five eight four pink. Not a bad drive. We have a couple of issues with the sewing traffic on seventy five southbound effective Donald Reagan Highway down to northern lateral through the roadwork here. We have that lane shift in place as well. And seventy five also sos between Lochland Split and Ronald Reagan Highway and from the viaduct down to the Brent Spence Bridge. It's about a five minute trip right now. Two seventy five work on the Combes Hill Bridge is in place through November. That is affecting all lanes, so watch for slow downs here. Carol carper Bridge War continues through seventy five at the Kentucky Indiana state line, so watch for slow downs westbound and southbound bricks Shrempanews Radio seven hundred wd WELW the.
Speaker 3: Forecast from the seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy and forty five. For tomorrow partly cloudy and fifty six. It is sixty seven Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: What is sports? Sports is family. It's mob driving everyone to the soccer practice. It's dad teaching you how to break in a new ball glove. It's everyone loading into the car and going to the big game. Sports is family. That's why we love it.
Speaker 9: Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by One Hour Heating and air Conditioning. School has started, but summer tamps are still here. Stay cool with one Hour Air Conditioning and Heating, they can repair anything, even when the other guys are trying to sell you a new system. Twenty four to seven Availability and free. Second opinion spoke now at one hour airsince dot Com.
Speaker 11: Genesis Diamonds celebrates ten years in Cinceeason Williams in four Rye.
Speaker 12: Today.
Speaker 3: Coming up, we're gonna be talking to our good friend Tanya Rourke. She was she was actually down there today for the press conference, So we'll talk to her a little bit about that with police chief for Thigi and get her take on that and what she saw. But also, as we all know, Tanya being super fan, her take on Flackomania.
Speaker 1: These are two great topics for city hall drama and Bengals, both of which she's covered a lot of in her career. I've seen a lot of seeing the good, the bad, and the ugly drama on both fronts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Devin and I were talking today for anybody doesn't She used to work at Channelizer Reporter back in the day and that's how we met. But she was talking today about you know, I just saw that yesterday was the the anniversary of the ridsk Win in the World series and I said, well, yeah, if you were listening to the Eddie and Rocky Show yesterday you heard it, yep, thirty five years And she said, well, I was. I was reporting on it. I was like, you were playing Magan out with some guy sitting in the stand drinking a beer, because that was like two years before I met her. So he's like, shut up, I think you were married. Like that's beside the point. Oh the good old days. Yeah, coming up, we're going to be talking to Tanya. But that's after the news. Right now, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 14: The chief currently on leave isn't planning to walk away with the three to thirty report. I'm Sean Gabligher breaking now this morning. The employment attorney representing Cincinnati Police Chief Teresa Thichi, who was placed on paid administrator to leave Monday, said his client is being made into a political scapegoat in pond amid public safety concerns the city's been trying to address, and she has no intentions of stepping down. Meanwhile, the city is conducting an internal investigation of Thichi's leadership, with Assistant Police Chief Adam Henny named interim chief.
Speaker 11: Cincinnati Maraf tab pure Vall releasing a statement Tuesday thanking police Chief Teresa the g for all of her decades of service while also expressing full confidence in Interim Chief Adam Henny. Meantime, the mayor is already moving forward, saying the city manager and himself have met with Interim Chief Henny to go over his public safety plan, which includes a greater use of technology, visibility, and rapid response to critical incidents. I'm rick Yuchino, Who's radio seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Now the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 7: From the UCEE Health Traffic Center. Mammogram Safe Lives Call five point three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with uc Health sex per Team five one three five eight four pink. We've got seventy five sowing southbound between Ronal Reagan Highway and Norwood Lateral and between Lachlan Split and Ronal Reagan Highway. It's a couple of minute delay. What a five minute drive on southbound seventy five from the Viaduct to the Brent Spence Bridge Paddock approaching Norwood Lateral is what we find. An accident just reported and we've got police responding there now on seventy five southbound on round Pack does remain shut down for that utility project. You can use paddock to westbound Norwood Lateral access southbound seventy five. I'm brick Shrip. News Radio seven hundred World called Ladies.
Speaker 13: Forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: Part of the.
Speaker 14: Claude tonight below down to forty three Wednesday, partly sunny temperatures into the upper fifty sunny Thursday high of sixty Right now, Radar is showing a partly Claudi sky and our current temperature is sixty five degrees.
Speaker 1: He was a service of Queen City Ford.
Speaker 14: A man who was involved in the January sixth attack on the Capitol as part of my President Trump is under arrests again. Christopher moynihan is accused of threatening to kill House Minority leader Hakeem Jeffries. Moynihan have been given a nearly two year prison sentence for his role in the insurrection.
Speaker 16: This reflects a lot of concerns that we heard from law enforcement after President Trump issued those vast pardons of nearly all the fifteen hundred and ninety people who were charging connection with the Capital attack, that they might be a risk of recidivism, that they might level threats such as these We've actually seen several January sixth rioters commit crimes in the wake of these pardons, but this is the first known instance we've seen of a jan six riod committing something in the way of political violence.
Speaker 14: ABC News is Alex Mallin, a woman from southeast Indiana accused of trying to intentionally strike an Ohio State Highway Patrol cruiser with her vehicle, and In said it would have been under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Thirty eight year old Jennifer Monig of Deerborn County arrested in Corring Township Monday after investigators say she fled from marked police cruisers that had their lights and sirens on, crossing multiple lanes of I two seventy five year Ronald bringing Cross County Highway and then tried to hit a trooper while driving recklessly and she would deliberately hit the cruiser after that trooper used a pitt maneuver. Monig now charged with colonius assault of the failure to comply in other traffic charges and is being held on a two hundred thousand, two hundred ten thousand dollars bond.
Speaker 17: Seven one hundred WLW Sports College basketball 's aver with eleven transferss and picked the finish eighth out of eleven teams. In the Big East preseason poll. Saint John's picked a win, followed by Yukon and Creighton. Miami RedHawks have been selected to finish second behind Akron in the Mid American Conference preseason poll. Miami senior guard Peter Souter was picked on the preseason All MAC First Team. Junior wing Ian Elmer was pre season All mac's second team. College football twenty first ranked Cincinnati Bearcats and Baylor's Saturday at Nippert Stadium Night on the Scott Sanderfield Show, Life and The Richard Montgomery at eight oh five, Bill Edison seven hundred WWS.
Speaker 1: Four final half hours trading on Wall Street.
Speaker 14: Currently that doll is up two hundred and sixty five points, NASDAG down twenty seven the S and p F five. Our next update is at four o'clock. I'm Sean Gallagher. News Radio seven hundred WW seven hundred.
Speaker 18: WLW Cincinnati and iHeartRadio Station. Make us the number one pre set on your car radio and on the free, new and improved iHeartRadio app. Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free never sounded so good. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Lucy here get to Miami Valley game.
Speaker 3: All right, back on the Eddie and Rocky Show, rockout to date. Jason Williams from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com is with me. So Jacon, you covered the beat downtown and hold them all the MAC and aetion of that, and we're gonna be talking to Tanya Rourke about it next here. But the whole this lawsuit going on with the police chief Thiji and how that's all gonna work out? Are they looking for are they looking for a settlement, because she's the city wants a settlement. I would think she's basically saying no, I'm good, I want my job.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's typically how these things go. Like, you know, you want to move on from a high level administrator, especially in a you know, controversial situation. You want to hey, here's how much, here's your severance package, and we need you to sign that non non disparagement clause or non disclosure clause, you know, or and so the agreement being well, you don't say anything bad about us, and we don't say anything bad about you, And in that way it goes away and voila everyone on because the politicians are concerned like, well, what you know, someone like that who's seen seeing the sausage made and who's been in this and uh uh you know has an audience and uh knows people and uh, you know, what are they gonna say about me or about you know, my fellow Republicans or my fellow Democrats in this case. Uh that's so usually that's typically how these things go. But Teresa Thiji saying, no, that's not what what she's doing here. Although I the end game, I don't know. I'm not close enough to it, but you know, seeing that press conference today certainly seems like she's dug in. There's no way. I don't see her getting her job back. I think that's too far down the road. Now, what's the next step. Is it that she's just gonna, hey, just try to set set the record straight on, you know, tell him the truth from her standpoint about what's going on in the city and that she doesn't need the money, or is it ultimately that you know, just you know, drag this out and then you know you end up getting a good severance package out of it. I don't I'm just saying these are all the things that you wonder about when these kinds of things happen.
Speaker 3: Well, you know more about the U this kind of machination than I do, do you, and I agree with you, there's no way in hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she gets her job back. You knew it was over last week when I believe it was Scott Workman that asked the mayor after a council and the cat he you know, got him off the side there and asked him, hey, what's the future of the chief or the chief been fired or resigned? And after have purval said all options are on the table at that moment. It was done in terms of like, in terms of Teresa Thigi continuing on as chief. You don't come back from that and be like, oh, you know what. A couple of days later. One of the options was that she stays as chief. You don't that just that's not how these things work. It's either she's going to be fired, it was one option. Or she's going to resign under pressure and is going to get some kind of severance package. And maybe I don't know if you get a severance package, probably one way or the other, I don't know, but that those were the options. The options weren't that she was going to return after Oh we do you know a couple take a couple of days and take a couple of breasts here and everybody calms down. Oh yeah, okay, she's going to continue as chief. That that's not how these things work in your.
Speaker 3: Opinion based on what we all know, because I can't I can't get a read on it. Does she have the support of the rank and file? I don't know in the rank and file.
Speaker 1: I certainly know the FOP and Scott Whortman talked about that, and I've heard Ken kober on on these airwaves. I've seen quoted, I've seen Facebook posts from uh there's a face but group that has you know, really focused a lot on local law enforcement police officers in which you know, there's been a lot of folks come to the defense of a chief Fiji on this. How much of that is that they can't stand the mayor? You know, all those things have to be factored in when you when you take all the in, it's also social media and fake names and all that, so you got to be always careful about, you know, trying to gauge things through that. My sense is that the folks who are really supporting her are doing it as a more out of protests out for AFTAB parival and that you know, I definitely don't think the generally speaking, that the law enforcement community is a big fan and so in some ways maybe they're they're supporting the chief because of their you know, disapproval of him is my read on the situation more so than and I don't think. I don't think Chief Fiji was like disliked, That's not my sense. You know that she was reviled the rank and file, Yeah she was. She was one of them, one of them for many many years. A west Side, a west Sider, and a lot of our police officers in the city of Cincinnati come from the West Side. And so that alone, you know, she worked her way up as a police officer at a time when it wasn't super popular to be a woman in that profession. And so I think, alone, right there, she deserves a lot of respect for that to rise through thirty years of regardless of the politics and whatever. But you know, she's put her life on the line for thirty years, and you know, I'm sure that's a lot of what's playing into this with her and her attorney and her family that you know, just giving her life to this job and you know, for to end this way like yeah, that's that's got hurt and and you know, good for her for fighting. And again I don't know the inner workings of you know, the politics and that kind of thing, but on the on the surface, certainly respect her for standing up for herself and saying, hey, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna fight for my job and I'm gonna fight for my reputation.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, with that, we'll take a break and come back, and we do. We trek down Tanya Ork. She was working svage. She was working on she was working a story as always, always always working good stories. Will have her back. After we check traffic and weather, what is going on.
Speaker 7: And from the UC Health Traffic Center, Mammo Graham Saved Lives called five one three five eight four pink. Schedule your annual mammogram with UC Health Expert Team five win three five eight four pink. On seventy five. We're filling in southbound from the vie Dec to the Brent Spence Bridge. It's about a seven minute drive now. Also southbound seventy five Lachlan Split to Ronald Reagan Highway is sluggish. Seventy one northbound bridge the Red Bank getting a little heavy. A two seventy five east bound between seventy five and Ohio and Reed Hartman volumes for picking up here now Paddick approaching normal lateral. We do have the accident here with Sodown's back to Tennessee. Avenue and Cruise are on the scene. Police also reporting accidents Madison to Edwards and Mitchell at Vine and again watch for the heavier pockets of traffick as you make your way at the Indiana Kentucky state line. As the war continues on the Carrol Cropper Bridge. I'm Rick Shrimp. News Radio seven hundred double d WELLW.
Speaker 3: Forecast from at seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy and forty five for tomorrow partly cloudy and fifty six. It is sixty seven now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: I can't count on my husband, but I can count on Willie.
Speaker 1: Willie is here for you. I just want to curl up in his arms and hear his words here to soothe your fears. Suthney Bille Cunningham soothe me here to stand strong like the great American.
Speaker 19: That I am.
Speaker 1: I'm not joking. I'd drink his dirty bathwater me too.
Speaker 9: All you have to do is listen to me, the great American Derrick Cunningham tomorrow at twelve noon on one hundred.
Speaker 20: W l W.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming.
Speaker 13: Get to Miami.
Speaker 1: Williams in Rock today.
Speaker 3: As we do Tuesday rout about this time, our good friend Lois Lane is still working a story.
Speaker 1: I can hear in the background.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, guys, I'm sorry I wasn't there. You know, I have a day job, and you guys, I know sorry that I missed it.
Speaker 21: I know.
Speaker 1: Good. So, yeah, you like scooed the ice cream right now.
Speaker 3: Honestly, you got your hat on with your little press cards stuck up there in the room.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yes, I got my trench coat, the whole deal, right.
Speaker 1: Glasses down halfway down your nose, yes, yes, corns by the way, I got I got the story. Chief. So you were down there at their press.
Speaker 5: Rude city hall right now, guys, I'm going to be lying there a little bit in like six minutes.
Speaker 1: That's the reason we wanted to talk to you too. I know you got tied up in that.
Speaker 3: That's what I said, I said, honestly, God, I did say. I know she's working a story right now, so she's doing something.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You're all right.
Speaker 3: So you you were at the press conference today with the police chief, Thesi and the whole nine yards.
Speaker 1: Now your take on it, you know, just read the room for us.
Speaker 5: I thought it was really interesting. I was surprised by how much her attorney.
Speaker 22: Spoke.
Speaker 1: Fiji did not speak at all.
Speaker 5: She stood there next to him or behind him, but she did not speak at all, which was of course on purpose. Her attorney spoke for her, and I couldn't believe how much he said. He essentially said that this her, what's happening to her right now, it's because she's a political pond, that she is being used politically because of things are not going well in the city. I mean, I'm basically summarizing what he's saying here, right, they're not direct quotes, but that because things aren't going well in the city, she'd being.
Speaker 1: Punished for it.
Speaker 5: And he believed the apt you know, it's do you think this is that the direction of the city manager do you think it goes hire? You said no, I think it's at the direction.
Speaker 1: Of the mayor.
Speaker 5: So we've got an election two weeks from today, and you know he has an opponent this year in Corey Bowman. Who knows what's going to happen there. I mean, you know, it is a very democrat city, so it's hard to imagine that app Tapprivall would not have a lot on that election.
Speaker 22: But I mean, maybe there.
Speaker 1: Is some concern there.
Speaker 5: But he led us to believe that this is this was purely political and that she was simply in the way and something needed to happen, and so she's the person that got the brunt end of it.
Speaker 1: TONI, You've covered many many a story like this, many of drama occurrences at city hall, and you know the severance packages for this city manager, this chie for you know all that drama. Uh, this is this is a little different the uh for once. Uh, you know, the person who's being pushed out standing up and saying nah, is it your sense that Chief Fiji is I know she's fighting for a job back. I think we all know that's probably unlikely. Uh, but uh, is your sense that she's willing to walk away without anything, without any severance package, and certainly no you know, signing, no non disparagement clause in order to kind of just end her career on a high note.
Speaker 5: From her standpoint, I couldn't necessarily make that call from what I know, I have no idea, but I will tell you that she is definitely fighting this. She feels she clearly knew she needed a lawyer up. She did so, she'd got an attorney who is already involved in a situation with the fire chief suing the city, and that, by the way, that situation is ongoing. It's it's in the courts now. So you know, she clearly knew she needed to fight, so she said, I'm not going to go down. I mean, I'm sure she could have. It's a guest, but I'm sure she could have signed some agreement and they would have given her like a little extra bomp or something, and she walks away. But they wanted her to resign, and I don't think she's willing to resign. I think she's very clear on that she does not want to resign from a position that she feels she rightly deserves to have. She feels that there she did nothing wrong, certainly nothing to deserve being fired. Hey guys, I probably got to run because I got to get ready for this newscast. But there's a lot happening. I hope you guys tune in. We have tons of this. We've covered from all angles, and I am so sorry I missed out on you guys earlier.
Speaker 1: Okay, no worries, Go get the understand you're busy, Go see it. Dude's fine, see your Boddy, our good friend Tanya Rourke. See that's live on live from the scene.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: I didn't even get a chance to ask her if she had if she was wacko for Flacco, as you know, if she's said the biggest Spangl fan going according to her.
Speaker 1: We need to get a since he shirts someone there. There was a shirt that Joe someone made for Joe Flack when he's in Cleveland. It said flack around and find out. Yeah, I saw that he saw that one. Yeah, they need to get one of those of the Bengals.
Speaker 3: And I've seen the ones with uh oh, better get Flacco instead of mak O.
Speaker 1: Well, the Steelers flacked around and found out last week, didn't they. Well, the fact the fact that him playing up in Cleveland. I mean, granted it was Cleveland and he didn't have this receiving core. But he comes he here and drops three forty something one the Steelers defense man. That doesn't say much for the Steelers defense, now, does it? Like I said, honestly, we're talking, certainly I want to I has I don't even know what's beyond top tier this receiving core. Come on, now, there's not a week ling in the bunch, but drop three forty on a what was supposed to be a good Steelers defense suspect man. Who would have thought the two biggest stories in this town right now would be the Chief Fichi and Joe Flacco.
Speaker 3: No one had that on their Bengo cards. Well, if that's what kills me, all right? And you and you wrote a little bit about it, do you think that? And we're gonna be talking to Mike Matrollia here in a little bit because he's uh, he's spoke on it as well. Are are people getting a little over their skis on this whole flack out thing?
Speaker 1: Yes, but as well they should. I think it's fun. Absolutely well, everyone should their fans. That was an incredible game last Thursday, night. People should be excited. They should they should have some you know, even Zach Taylor talked about, you know, getting people back in the stands, although I don't think people ever really left, uh and getting some hope. I think what was this quote, getting some hope back in the building or something like that, And you know what, that's what sports are about, like having some hope, and Joe Flacco's brought that, and you know, I just think, you know, the reality of it is is that the Bengals defense is worse than it was last year. It's hard to you know, in a forty year old quarterback. If you couldn't do this on a regular basis with Joe Burrow, it's gonna be really tough to sustain what you did last week because not every defense is going to be Swiss cheese like the Pittsburgh Steelers, is right, and well, the thing is, you got the Jets this week here at home. Jets. The Jets are the work. This game scares me because it's like oh and seven and these guys nothing to play for now, but they're just going to go out there and just let it rip. I don't know why I was thinking about this yesterday I'm like, and I'm sure that's exactly the way they're approaching it in down at pay Court Stadium. But if you look at the Jets, they're They've been real close in several of their games one score losses, and I know that. It's like, oh, I'm not trying to spin that. I'm not trying to like for you know, like, I mean, yes, the Bengals should win, but I don't know if you're a football coach, I could definitely I don't think it's a coach speak to say this one worries me, you know, kind of so to speak.
Speaker 3: All right, coming up here, we're going to be talking to one of our financial guys. How long can our economy sustain this government shutdown? Before things go at little sideways. We'll have Steve Cotton after the news right now, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: News Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l w D Cincinnati.
Speaker 20: Cincinnati's police chief who's on leave is not going to quit and wants to be reinstated. This is the four o'clock report. I'm Matt Reeves, breaking now latest on a political drama at Cincinnati City Hall over the future of the police Department. The chief, Teresa Thiji, is on paid administrative leave as a city administration obviously wants her out, she refuses to resign wants to be reinstated. Her attorney, Stephen M. Holding a news conference today in which Fiji stood alongside, joined by her husband and two brothers, M says he thinks Mayor purevols behind Fiji's ouster and the shooting last week at a restaurant on Fountain Square might have been the last straw. The mayor tells the enquire that it is the city manager's decision and it's an administrative issue. Stephen M says Thiji sinceed this ahead of time.
Speaker 23: She I'll put it this way. She was concerned that the city might try to do something like this. She was concerned that they might see her as somebody that they could sacrifice for political purposes.
Speaker 12: But she didn't expect that it was going to happen.
Speaker 15: What do you think was the tieneral attorney point that the mayor is a few weeks ago was sending a comple confidence and where did where did it serve to sow?
Speaker 1: What was the large shape? I don't know.
Speaker 12: It may have been the shooting on Fountain Square, but I can't speak.
Speaker 1: Today, him told reporters.
Speaker 20: It was heartbreaking for Fiji to learn yesterday that she was placed on lead the thirty fifth anniversary of her first day in uniform with the Cincinnati Police Department. Assistant Chief Adam Henny is now the interim chief of the Cincinnati Police Department's Check the Roads. Now, we have the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center Mammogram Save Lives Call five three five eight four pinks kenter your annual mammogram with UC Health sex per Team five one three five eight four pink Traffic seventy five southeast heavy between the Viaduct and the Brent Spence Bridge. Ronald Reagan Highway to Norwood Lateral is a couple of minutes to Lay two on southbound seventy five and from Lachlan's sput to Montal Reagan Highway on seventy five south plan on a four minute commute one northbound Ridge to Redbank filling in into seventy five eastbound seventy five to read Harbin getting heavy. We have the accident on Paddock approaching Normal Lateral. Police on the scene here and on Madison and Edwards and Mitchell ed Vine cruise on the scene cleaning up a couple of accidents. Here I break Shrimp News Radio seven hundred double do well.
Speaker 24: W Now the latest forecast from the No Feared Dentist Weather Center Advance Dentistry. The thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck. We're here for you, No Fear Dentist dot Com.
Speaker 20: Martley Cloudy tonight, low dropping down to forty three sunny day tomorrow and high fifty seven fifty seven on Thursday. Looking at areas of frost early on on Friday, with high that day in the fifties. Right now in Cincinnati we have sixty six degrees and there is a little bit of light rain in southeast Indiana, the Connorsville area in Greensburg seeing some showers in the those areas. More on the police chief Teresa Fiji, head of the Cincinnati Police Union, Ken Kobra telling Dan Carroll this afternoon, I.
Speaker 25: Don't know why she'd want to at this point, the way that she's been treated. I mean, you treat somebody as thirty five years you've given to the city, and this is how you're being treated. And I can tell you right now the cops are going If they're going to do this to the chief, what will they.
Speaker 2: Do to me.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you would want to come back.
Speaker 20: Fiji's attorney, Steven m says there's no accusation of wrongdoing against Fiji, that she does not want to quit, wants to be back as chief of Cincinnati Police. Portion of the White House being demolished to make way for a huge ballroom, which the President says is being paid for by donations and out of his own podcast.
Speaker 26: It's going to cost two hundred and fifty million dollars. The White House says it's not taxpayer money that will be used to fund this, it's all coming from private donors. The President himself has said he will be contributing to that effort, though he hasn't said how much he's kicking in and how much will be coming from the private donor.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 20: That's ABC's Karen Travers. Millions of people who rely on snaw app food assistance will soon be effected if the government shutdown doesn't end. Head of the program says they won't have enough money by the end of the month. More than forty two million low income Americans use Snap.
Speaker 17: Seven one hundred WLW Sports College Basketball's avery with eleven transferses and picked the finish eighth out of eleven teams. In the Big East preseason poll, Saint John's picked a win, followed by Yukon and Creighton. Miami RedHawks have been selected to fit a second behind Akron in the Mid American Conference preseason poll. Miami senior guard Peter Souter was picked on the preseason All MAC First Team. Junior wing Ian Elmer was preseason All mac's second Team. College Football twenty first ranked Cincinnai Bearcats and Taylor Saturday at Nippert Stadium. More than Night on the Scott Sanderfield Show, Life in the Rich of Montgomery at eight oh five Bill Edison seven hundred Wow Sports.
Speaker 20: Wall Street, Right up against the clothes, The Down's up two hundred and eighteen s and P five hundred is up fractionally and the Nasdaq is down fourteen. Next News at four thirty Matt Reeves News Radio seven hundred Douleil Double Do.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Starbucks. The Pumpkin Spice Ltte is back at Starbucks han crafted with their signature espresso and real pumpkin size the stage of the game. That's when you feel like a lot of people, regular citizens are going to start feeling it right.
Speaker 3: And that's what's starting to trickle down. Right now, Let's see before something before it does any serious damage as opposed to just this, like I said, trickling down thing. Let's talk to our financial strategist who's been with us many many times, President of Cotton Wealth Management Associates. He is our good friend, Steve Cotton, and Steve, let's let's talk about this. What happens with this shutdown, if well with our government, if this thing lasts until Thanksgiving or maybe beyond.
Speaker 19: Well, thanks for having me today. It's always an honor to be on in your program. You're asking the right question. There are some effects that we're starting to see, both obvious and then some not so subtle. Everybody's talking about the obvious disruption to families, federal employees, people trying to plan their Thanksgiving crable plans, and even their Christmas holiday vacation plans. This is going to affect, you know, the level of spending in the stores this fourth quarter. That in turn is going to impact companies' balance sheets and profit margins and even their their holiday level staffing plans. And if you back up from that, then you start getting into well, how are businesses going to be stocking shelves? How do they plan the stock shelves based on sales they thought they might have but maybe now they're not so sure. And then back up that further. The manufacturers they're going to find that maybe their order are not as robust as they thought they would be going into the fourth quarter. So there begins to be a ripple effect beyond just a negative impact on federal employee families.
Speaker 1: Now, Steve, can you explain that a little more? Right, there's not federal employees and their families going to stores and spending money, But then why would that Then how does it then affect non employees families from going and spending money, Like where why would they not have the money to go do that?
Speaker 19: Well, if you look at the impact on employers and manufacturers and suppliers, for example, they may have fewer orders, they may need fewer warehouse workers. There is that ripple effect. They're about seven hundred and fifty thousand federal employees that are potentially affected by the layoffs, and then a smaller subset of that might be affected by permanent beyond the furloughs, permanent layoffs. There's also an impact within Northern Virginia. A lot of the federal employees that work in Washington or Northern Virginia are directly going to be impacted by and already impacted by the furloughs and or potentially turning those into permanent layoffs. There could be an impact on the elections for Virginia and New Jersey for the same reason. I mean, it's all kinds of ripple effects. I did see one positive development today, though. There's a group of Republican lawmakers in the Senate and the House that are talking about perhaps offering to assure the Democrats in the Senate that if they vote for this Queen Sea are and get the government back to work, they will immediately pivot and start taking up a debate on extension of the Obamacare subsidies. I think that is a positive development. I don't know if all the Republicans will embrace that. The Republicans do not want to go back to the battle budget practices of the Democrats in the Biden and Obama years, but that is a little bit of a ray of hope that there are people on the hill trying to get resolution of this in a positive and constructive way. But I'm just dismayed by the impact of this on people's lives and federal employees' lives directly.
Speaker 3: We're talking to Steve Cotton, and Steve you know, what I'm looking at here is if this does last to Thanksgiving and beyond this shutdown, that it's basically going to affect a whole quarter of our economy. By that, I mean just a quarter, you know, fiscally, and that will affect it the shutdown last for the quire quarter, which never happened, we'll reduce growth for these three months by one point two to two point four percentage points. Describe that number to us, and what kind of impact that has? I mean, obviously we've just been talking about what could potentially happen, But what does that mean for the economy overall?
Speaker 19: Well, you're exactly right, it's a theoretical calculation. It's imperfect. Sure, the kinds of impacts that I've just talked about are very real. People can understand those. Within every federal agency, you've got essential you know, workers designated as essential workers and workers designated as non essential, and essentially it's the ones that have been furloughed or put on pause on paid vacation are the non essential designated workers. The essential workers are still at their post law enforcement, FBI, military, et cetera. But even the administration's payment of the troops can be exhausted beyond a certain deadline, and that's concerning. So it is a ripple effect. It's not going to affect every federal worker, but it affects enough people that when you back it up into the supply chain and you back it up into the manufacturing base, we could see we could see a percent or more shaved off the GDP in the fourth quarter of this year. It's not going to push us into recession because I will repeat the American economy is incredibly resilient and that the creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit of the American people is awesome. It's the best in the world. And don't forget the factor that in too. This is just temporarily disruptive, and the longer this goes on, the more it turns into a lose lose deal.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, in your opinion, how let's affect the stock market from now until the end of the year.
Speaker 19: Well, I think the market has factored in so far that it would not be a long term shutdown. I think the odds of a long term shutdown are fifty to fifty. At this point. We have a left side of the Democratic Party that is in kind of a burn it down mode. They are taking a very extreme position. They are putting heat on Chuck Schumer on the Senate side, Senate Democratic leader, not to compromise unless he gets one hundred percent of what he wants. I think that's a losing proposition and it's counterproductive politically for them. But at some point, we've got the factor in the welfare of the country, and I think that's what concerns the Republicans and the White House when they're dealing with kamikazes on the other side. But we've got the factor in the welfare of people and families and the good of the nation at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the crux, at the crux of this, and you alluded to it, part of it is Omamacare, you know, the Affordable Care Act. What can you explain that even further?
Speaker 15: Like what.
Speaker 1: The fact that for folks that are on that, how could this shut down be affecting them or will it at all, as this is one of certainly one of the issues. But if you're receiving healthcare through the portal, are is there a chance that you're not going to get that at some point?
Speaker 27: No?
Speaker 12: I don't.
Speaker 19: I think that will be provided regardless. But there was an add on to the Alabamacare subsidy that was passed by the Democrats in the Inflation Reduction Act, which did nothing of the sort like that, but they enhanced the subsidies. And what we found was that a lot of hospitals and states were treating illegal immigrants and then turning around and requesting a reimbursement from those subsidies. So the Republicans, in the One Big Beautiful Bill that was named tried to curtail that bad practice and tried to limit Obamacare healthcare plan subsidies only for American citizens. And that's a really you know, that's a reasonable position. What the Democrats are proposing is that we throw that out the window and fully fund the program. And that's what the Republicans are having heartburn over. But that's it gets more complex. But when the Democrats say they it's not about funding healthcare, for illegal immigrants. That's technically not really true.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we'll see how this all plays out. Steve Cotton love having you man. People want to find out more about you and what you all do.
Speaker 1: Where can they go.
Speaker 19: Well, we have a website, Cotton Wealth Management. We're here in Dallas, but we have clients all over the country and in fact in overseas. Our website is Cotton cottn WMA dot com. And we're glad to consult with anybody. We don't charge for an initial consultation at all, but we're financial planners and risk managers and we're pretty good at that. Uh So, you know, we're glad to help anybody we can.
Speaker 1: All right, Steve, thanks so much, buddy, Thank you, thank you. All Right, when there were we.
Speaker 3: Right on Q we started loosen our phones bingo with that we take in with traffic and weather.
Speaker 7: And from the UC Health Traffic Center, Mamma Graham's Safe Lives called five one three five eight four. Pink schedule your annual Mamma Graham with UC Health Sexpert Team five one three five eight four.
Speaker 2: Pink.
Speaker 7: Paddock Road is shut down approaching Norwood Lateral. That's due to an accident. And Cruiser on the scene. Northbound traffic is shut down here and again if you can't avoid the area. Seventy five south bound via UC to the Brent Spencer is about a ten minute drive, and we're seeing seventy five sowing southbound Glendale, Milford, Toronald Reagan Highway, seventy one north bound from Ridge to Red Bank filling in to seventy five getting heavy between eastbound between seventy five and Montgomery I about a seven minute delay. And we also have Mitchell at Vine and Madison to Edwards accidents being cleaned up. Police on the scene at those locations. I'm Rick Shrump, Deduce Radio seven hundred WW.
Speaker 3: Forecast from a seven hundred W ALW weather center for to night partly cloudy and forty five for tomorrow partly cloudy and fifty six. It is sixty seven now News Radio seven hundred W LW.
Speaker 1: All right, mister Pinney, I'm going to show you some images and you tell me what you see.
Speaker 28: That looks like Scott's Loan riding a dragon and this one nineteen sixty eight Ford Mustang GT. That's good if Scott's Loan's driving it again with Scott's load. In this one, I see a bacon and egg breakfast sandwich, a sandwich the one I eat right before I listen to Scott's Chess.
Speaker 1: Scott's Loan. Please listen responsibly.
Speaker 20: Join me Scott's Loan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Mister Pennay, we have a long road ahead of us.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Mel's Auto Glass.
Speaker 1: Mel's Auto Glass.
Speaker 3: You know Jason, Jason Williams in for a Rocky today rock and I had on our good buddy Dave Patter talking about that whole rigamarole going on yesterday with Amazon and their cloud situation and all kinds of you know, people were upset all over the world because they couldn't play Fortnite or something or whatever the hell happened with that. But I'll tell you, man, this is the kind of thing and this actually isn't funny. It's kind of sad, but it's the kind of thing that's going to start happening more and more. This happened in Florida, of Florida. Woman contact the police earlier this month report that a male assailant. Assailant had bards in her home, knocked to the ground, and committed an assault on her. Well, the attacker was a stranger. She said she was able to take a picture of the guy while he was sitting on the couch of her apartment.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Multiple officers, forensic experts, but a subsequent police examination of the image provided by this lady said that the image was AI generated via chat GPT.
Speaker 21: And now.
Speaker 1: That's gonna people, that's just fouled up.
Speaker 20: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you can't don't do. You're just really gonna hurt real victims of crime with this crap. What's the ladies in game just thought it was funny. I don't know. You're not going to be able to sue anyone because it was a fake thing. She was arrested for fossil reporting a crime. She spent a night in jail, and she posts a thousand dollars bond. Police and the court documents say that don't motive for her crime. Huh yeah, there's I feel like there's a lot more negative than our positives to it.
Speaker 3: Well, she did say on In a recent Instagram page, she noted that October is domestic violence Awareness month and that she had for years, been in an abusive relationship. He assaulted me in numerous times. But all I can say is I survived and I made it out she put on her Instagram page. So I don't know, is that it's like her, you know, getting back at just that it.
Speaker 1: Makes no sense. It's and this woman has two kids, so this cost her a thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Well, somebody needs to come in and take control of the situation because of a woman who thinks this is a great idea, doesn't need to be mothering two little children.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They good for you know, thank god she survived or this bad relationship as he was in. Yes, but to do crazy crap like that, like I said, you're just really hurting real victims of crimes.
Speaker 1: With that stuff, exactly, I mean totally, And like are people gonna now get ideas off of this? And then right, oh absolutely, That's what I'm saying. You look around the country. There's a shortage of police officers everywhere, small towns, middle medium sized towns, large towns, like they don't have time to be wasting, you know, wasting their time on these kinds of calls.
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna see more and more of it. Look at the Swanning crap that goes on all the time. Yes, just because somebody thinks it's funny.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Coming up, we're gonna be to switching gears here and talk about something that actually is kind of not kind of At this stage of the game, it's starting to get real fun talking to Mark BOTRELLI about the Bengals. Well even uh, we're gonna talk a little bit about the World Series. I watched that game last night and my wife is sitting They're going I want the Mariners to win. I really I love the Mariners.
Speaker 1: So she goes to bed. I mean, she hadn't been in bed ten minutes. I think I hit the three run dinger.
Speaker 2: I mean this.
Speaker 1: Epic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two really really good teams, by the way, that's well, yeah, the two teams that are belong in the World Series.
Speaker 3: I think are in the World Series. But we'll talk to Trags about it. But right now we've got the news news Radio seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 13: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred w l W, Cincinnati.
Speaker 14: Saying her client won't resign with the four point thirty report. I'm Sean Gallagher bricking now after being placed on administrative leave Monday. The attorney representing Cincinnati Police, she Teresa Thichi, spoke this morning.
Speaker 20: We did not hear from Teresa Fiji herself or attorney Steve and m did the talking. She was joined by her husband and brothers Im says they want the city to rethink what he calls a hasty and unlawful decision, and that she will not resign, wants to be reinstated. In fact, Im says placing Fiji on leave is making the city less safe.
Speaker 12: The chief does not believe that.
Speaker 23: There is anyone who has the experience, ability and expertise that.
Speaker 12: She has to leave this department right now.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 20: The sentence has already been passed on his client, and now the city of Cincinnati is looking to quote see if they can find a crime that she committed from downtown Cincinnati. Matt Reeves News Radio seven hundred Double L Double.
Speaker 14: City Manager SHAREL Lung appointing Assistant Chief Adam Henny as interim police chief as an internal investigation looks into Thieti's effectiveness as a leader within the department.
Speaker 1: Not the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health traffic Center, Madmo Graham Save lines call five one three five me four pink schedule your annual Mamma Graham, do you see health expert team five and three five eight four pink. Paddick is shut down approaching Norwood Lateral with the roadway here on the northbound side completely shut down because of an accident and cruiser are on the scene if you can avoid the area. On seventy five southbound fired Dock to the Brent Spence about a ten minute drive now, and volumes are heavy on seventy five South Glendale Milford to Ronald Reagan Highway and from Ronald Regan Highway to Norwood Lateral. We're still seeing some slowdowns here a seventy one northbound ridged red Bank heavy and two seventy five Eastpahns seventy five to Montgomery Road about a ten minute trip. And seventy five northbound two seventy five to Twelfth Street in Kentucky about a ten minute delay. I'm Rick Shrimp produce Radio seven hundred W Low's.
Speaker 13: Forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Tonight, partly Claudie the Low down to forty three Wednesday partly sunny, as temperatures will be in the upper fifties both Thursday and five sunny and a high year sixty. Right now, radar is showing a partly the most the Cladney sky at sixty four degrees. News a service up Low t Center. A recent legal challenge could lead to a permanent change when it comes to name, image and likeness policies for Ohio high school athletes.
Speaker 29: Some school leaders say nil compensation for high schoolers is just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: This side was coming, and it would happen either through voting it or through a lawsuit.
Speaker 29: Pete Taylor is athletic director at Saint Edward High School in Lakewood. The lawsuit filed by Dayton area teen jmi Or Brown already got a judge to put a temporary block on the state's ban for such compensation. Now, the Ohio High School Athletic Association says it will meet this week to figure out when members will vote on possibly allowing it. Principles of each high school in the OHSAA get one vote. Forty four other states already allow nil compensation for high school athletes. I'm Jack Crumley, News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Americans who rely on foods snaff footises stints will soon feel the impact of the government shutdown, as SNAPS acting administrator says the program will be short on funds by month's end. More than forty two million people in the USU's foods of food stamps. Kentucky Governor Andy Sheer Monday said the state is committed to processing stamp benefits the moment the shutdown ends and funding is again available. More than six hundred thousand residents in the Bluegrass State rely on food assistants.
Speaker 1: Seven one hundredth WLW Sport.
Speaker 17: College basketball Zavior with eleven transferss have picked the finish eighth out of eleven teams in the Big East preseason poll. Saint John's picked a win, followed by Yukon and Creighton. Miami RedHawks have been selected to finish second behind Akron in the Mid American Conference preseason poll. Miami senior guard Peter Souter was picked on the preseason All MAC First Team. Junior wing Ian Elmer was preseason All mac's second team. College football twenty first ranked Cincinnati Bearcats and Baylor Saturday at Nippert Stadium more than night on the Scott Saderfield Show, Life in the Richard Montgomery at eight oh five, Bill Edison seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 14: Sports final numbers on Wall Street Today, the Dow gaining two hundred and eighteen points, NANTZEC down thirty seven, and the SMP even on the day. Our next update is five o'clock. I'm Sean Gallagher News Radio, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Are you suffering from chronic joint pain? Like Heather?
Speaker 26: I have terrible arthritis and have had it for quite a while, and I've gone to all kinds of doctors.
Speaker 3: And Jason Williams in for Rocky Today and Jace you know, the city has gone wacko for Flacco here in the last ten days or whatever it's been two weeks. I like that slogan, wacko for Flacco. It sounds like you can make some money on that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure somebody already has, maybe our guys at Cincinnati at since he's shirts Josh Snead has got that going on. Let's see what our guy from cl C l n S Sinc dot com columns there. He also hosts the Jungle Roar podcast and is also a contributing host, I hear on the Big One seven hundred WLWM Mike Petrelia silent g but we call him Trags as a nickname.
Speaker 3: So Trags, what do you think about the Flackomania currently sweeping the Tri State.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I think Waco for Flacco is awesome and I'm I'm close to getting on board. But as I wrote over the weekend, fellas everybody, it's one game and what I'm curious to, what I'm very curious to see is how Dan Picture and Zach Taylor head coach scheme for Joe Flacco going forward to make sure that he can get the ball to Jamar Chase and t Higgins as many times as possible.
Speaker 2: It was interesting. Charlie Goldsmith asked.
Speaker 6: Zach yesterday how many times, how many possible times again could you throw the hymn the ball? And He's like, essentially, Zach said, I guess as many times as we really wanted to. But I think, you know, eventually defenses would catch on to that and force us to go other places with the ball. But you know, I think what we saw on Thursday night was a simplification by a veteran quarterback who was like, I'm going to get rid of the ball in under two point seven seconds and if those guys are open, they'll get the ball.
Speaker 2: If they're not open, it'll be incomplete to me.
Speaker 6: And that's really again oversimplifying it, but that's kind of the way the offense worked the other night, and it worked pretty dog on.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you do you see them trying to continue to just go that route and then make teams just stop them. It's like, let's go to let's go to let's go to Jamar as many times as we can, and then if someone stops them, we'll try to go to Tea or you know what.
Speaker 2: I mail, just I do if they can run the ball.
Speaker 6: The reason that works is because the other night you had Chase Brown breakoff a thirty seven yard run a twenty seven yard run, and people listening to this may be like, well, what does that have to do with the passing game. Well, it keeps defenses honest, and if the Bengals can show some type of potency in the run attack, you're going to have to bring an extra defender closer to the line of scrimmage or in the boxes.
Speaker 2: They call it in football jargon.
Speaker 6: And allow maybe one, you know, more space for the wide receivers to roam free or your tight end to rome free, and it just opens up the offense on the perimeter a little bit more.
Speaker 2: And that's what we saw the other night against the Steelers.
Speaker 3: So talk about those Steelers and talk about Jamar Chase. What the I saw, Well, I forget it was a national media person who wrote, apparently the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Might shoot drags. It might even been you.
Speaker 3: The Steelers game plan seemed to be to not cover Jamar Chase. Well, like that would be that would seem to me to be job one.
Speaker 6: Well, they didn't cover him in certain spaces on the field. What they did was they double teamed them, but underneath they weren't able to get their double team in.
Speaker 2: Position to cover Jamar.
Speaker 6: So Jamar was running routes so well on Thursday night, like as well as I've ever seen him run routes. And that's one thing he doesn't get a lot of credit for, just because of his exceptional power and speed. But he was running routes exceptionally well the other night and getting open, beating a high level cornerback a Pro Bowl cornerback in Jalen Ramsey. Well, when he got his first break open, Joe Flacco saw it and looked for him and got him the ball.
Speaker 2: H Jamar made it look a lot easier than it is with T. Higgins. The double coverage on T. Higgins side which sometimes they.
Speaker 6: Doubled both sides, was not as tight as the one on Jamar, and that allowed again when Flacco saw that Jamar was covered or not quite open yet, he looked at T and T was open, and he threw him the ball and it just worked out incredibly well. And another reason it all worked to perfection the other night, Joe Flacco ate and turned the ball over and be got rid of the ball in under two point seven seconds, which is extremely fast.
Speaker 2: I mean, in its two games with the.
Speaker 6: Bengals, he's averaged two point four to four seconds from the snap to the throw. And that is only Patrick Mahomes, just to give you some idea of just how fast that is. Only Patrick Mahomes last week faster at like two point two five seconds. Incredibly fast. So that's why it worked on Thursday night. Joe Flacco was accurate and he was quick with the ball.
Speaker 1: Trags along those lines you got. The Jets come the winless zero to seven New York Jets, who are getting you know, beaten up pretty good in New York media and national media, and Justin Fields gets benched. And I don't know, I mean, maybe maybe I'm over thinking this, but this game kind of scares me a little bit from I mean, yes, the Bengals should win, but you look at these guys and most of their losses have been by a score. They've got three losses by two points. What do you make of this team coming in here? And and are you are you a little concerned about about a letdown here for the Bengals.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because the Bengals are three and four, and I think.
Speaker 6: They know that they have struggled so hard to get in a.
Speaker 2: Position now where they could get back to five hundred.
Speaker 6: I think there are a lot of things you could take from the Steeler game, and I think winning in the trenches, running the ball against again another team in the New York Jets that has an exceptional defensive front, a defensive line especially. You want to make sure that you win the battle up front, and I think the Bengals should be able to do that. And you know, against Carolina they were only able to score six points at home, and that that offense is so dysfunctional. What you want to do on Sunday is take care of the football and not give the Jets any free plays downfield.
Speaker 2: That's what you absolutely positively have to do.
Speaker 6: And I think if the Bengals can get some sort of lead early in this game and get the you know, Jets back on their heels a little bit, they're more inclined to go. You know, we're just a bad team and we're not going to win this game on the road. You do not want to give them hope. And guys, I want to touch on this and I just wrote about it for CLNS Sincy dot com. The Bengals are the worst tackling team in professional football. That has to improve. They have seventy nine misstackles and the new closest teams are the New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins, both horrific teams with fifty five each. The Bengals have to tackle better and that has to be a point of emphasis going forward. And this week would be a good time to get well against the Jets.
Speaker 3: And it looks like Tyrod Taylor for quarterbailing. I'm sorry, Tyrod Taylor.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to make that move.
Speaker 6: And if Justin Fields a chance to reassess on the sideline and Tyron Taylor another reason, Aaron Glenn head coach, you know, formerly of the Lions, and Zack Taylor knows him very.
Speaker 2: Well, would go with Tyrod. Tyrod knows the Bengals. Justin Field's not as much.
Speaker 6: So I think throwing Tyrod Taylor in a game against the Bengals gives the Jets a fighting chance at the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Position, all right, with that switching gears real briefly here, guys, what do you think about this?
Speaker 1: The World Series? Not a surprise, no, I mean, you.
Speaker 6: Know, everybody knows how much the Dodgers spend on their payroll. The top spending team in baseball, the Toronto Blue Jays for a Canadian market. You know, Canada's team spent two hundred and forty five million dollars this year on their payroll. They went pretty much all in as much as they're going to go in, and they spent wisely, and they spent in the right places. And you know, I think one of the big trades that they made acquire r Shane Bieber coming off Tommy John surgery right after the deadline from Cleveland kind of showed everybody in the organization we're in it to get deep into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Obviously they were able.
Speaker 6: To beat the Yankees, but the Alcs against Seattle was it was a thing of beauty to watch, so many.
Speaker 2: Ebbs and flows.
Speaker 6: And congratulations to the Blue Jays for getting it done, coming from behind two games.
Speaker 2: To nothing in three games to two.
Speaker 1: This has the making I think of a great World Series tracks and I'm just I'm still just sitting here. I remember when that Toronto team came here to Cincinnati, and boy, they just raked all three games. I mean it was it was aggressive.
Speaker 6: Yes, by the way, a little bit of trivia, I'm rooting for the Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Do you know why that is?
Speaker 1: Do tell.
Speaker 6: Because the seventy five, seventy six Cincinnati Reds are still the last National League team to repeat as world champions.
Speaker 1: Ah, did not know that? That's great trivia? Yes, yes, keep that intent. If the Dodgers win, that's right, they will won back to back.
Speaker 6: Yes, and the other note, and we don't have to worry about it now. Because of course, the Phillies beat them in Game three of the al Ds, but they Dodgers, that's their only loss for the postseason so far, if I'm if I've got my math correct, they went too and one, two and oh against the Reds, two and one against the Phillies, four and oh against the Brewers.
Speaker 3: All right, well, tracks, we'll see what happens. And well, we uh celebrated yesterday the final game of the ninety World Series with the Reds, and my comment to Rocky was it just makes me laugh that. Yeah, I know it was thirty some years ago, but yesterday was the last day of the World Series. And the World Series this year doesn't start until this Friday, three days from now.
Speaker 6: So yeah, by the way, fiftieth anniversary of the greatest night in Cincinnati history is tomorrow night at eleven thirty five pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: Time, nineteen seven, when the Big Red Machine won it all the Carlton Fist game. No, when they wanted the next night. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep, correc that's what everyone like that. That's the thing everyone everyone wants to, you know, nationally wants to talk about the Carlton Fiskit, right, the Reds won that World Series. Well it just to set the record straight. Uh well, well tracked, We'll let you go, buddy, Thanks so much, thanks Tracks, all right, thanks.
Speaker 3: By Mike Betrellian. Uh but you remember Bouncing Billy Banker, who yes, I did do some of the Reds broadcasting a little bit and send it back to Bouncing Belly bank in the studio. He was my news guy at EBN for a little while. And they did a thing where they sent us to Boston for we were doing our show from the sam Adams Brewery. That was fun, but they somebody I forget who was, they gave us tickets to a Socks game to a Redscott when you were up there on the live from Yeah, yeah, I remember you tell me to do that. Yeah, and uh so we cabbed it down there, YadA, YadA, YadA. And remember where at the sam Adams Brewery starting our show in Boston in Boston at six in the morning, so you're at sam Adams Brewery. So try to imagine what kind of mood we were in by about six o'clock that night when we headed for the ball game and they were celebrating the seventy five Socks that night. As we walked down. We're walking to our seats carrying our beers and our hot dogs. And there there yes bond carld and fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And he stands in the midd of the aisle and screams at the top of his lungs.
Speaker 21: You lost.
Speaker 1: I'm like, bro. So we're not the only town that celebrates being runners up. Let's slow that down a little bit.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 1: With that, we check in with traffic and weather.
Speaker 7: What is going on from the UC Health Traffic Center Mammogram Save Lives called five win three five eight four pinks your annual mammogram with the UC Health Expert Team five one three five eight four pink. We have Paddic Road approaching over lateral still shut down due to an accident. Just avoid the area now seventy five southbound near the Brent Spence Bridge. A crying sure has the lays back to the viaduct and it is about a ten minute delay. Seventy five southbound approaching stay about one twenty two is an accident. Just reported to watch for delays in two seventy five east poted Dixie Highway crameshou on shoulder. We also have heavier traffic on seventy five south Glendale, Milford and seven to at Glendiale, Milford, Torontal Reagan Highway, and then seventy one northbound between Smith Edwards and Stewart. My Rick Sren produced Radio seven hundred WDYLW.
Speaker 3: The forecast from the seven hundred W LW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy and forty five for tomorrow partly cloudy, and fifty six It is sixty seven Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: Is it true Tom Brenneman arranges the food on his dinner plate in alphabetical order?
Speaker 1: That is not true, he said true.
Speaker 13: Government scientists have studied Tom Brenneman's brain to better mankind.
Speaker 1: That's not true, but sounds like a pretty good idea, he said.
Speaker 19: True.
Speaker 27: Tom Brenneman is the best way to start your day. You bet it's true. I've got the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, investment, news, and always a good time.
Speaker 1: It's my morning gift to.
Speaker 13: You to him and tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Maderna. If you've heard about m next spike, COVID nineteen vaccine mRNA by Rock Today, you know.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 3: Our next guest is a doctor in brain health. We've had him before. He's come to the right show. But no, he's talking about maintaining. You know, so many people as you get older, you just stop. You kind of shut down. Your body's not really shutting down, but but you just kind of do it. I may and I guess you. Your hormones are slow into the whole nine yards. But there are I think they're called super agers. Because you met him, I've met him before. There's a when I was on vacation. We've stayed at this Airbnb, and the lady who owned the place, she had had two strokes and was I think she was like eighty five eighty six, and I mean, you wouldn't have known it quick as a whip. And so that's there are people who do that, and there are people who were shoot, they might be seventy two, and they're just kind of you know, what's the what's the difference between people like that and people like that? I'm interested to hear that answer because I want to do that. Well, that's you'll basically one one big thing in particular, So we shall discuss coming up next. If you want to be smart when you get old, listen to this show. It's no, probably not, but anyways, take just listen.
Speaker 1: To this guest. Yes, so start there so you can from there. Speaking of smart things, how about the chet GPT boy we get another one? Yeah, another, well, another wing of a story I I I started to tell you off air earlier. I was, I always sit in the car and listen to what goes on here in the half hour before our show starts. And so well, you know, Dan Carroll's been working for Willie this week, but you know I always listened to uh stooge reporting that. But so I'm sitting there just killing time, and I got on because I want to get somebody on this Louve jewelry heist. You know they're in Paris, man, how these I was talking to my wife about it. I was, how on I thought that was only stuff in the movies.
Speaker 3: It is like something out of a movie. I mean, in the middle in road days daylight, the museums open and these dudes go in and how many of heist? How many of her millions of dollars?
Speaker 1: One hundred and two million dollars. It turned out to be on every to see the final jewelry. Yes, one hundred and two point sixty three million, according to a prosecutor in Paris.
Speaker 3: So I got on chat GPT and I go, who would be a good guest to talk about the jewelry robbery of the Louver and and it's a good question that would be. I have three for you. And they were all some dude in like Paris. Some the guy from Scotland yard probably won't be hunting those guys down right, But anyways, chadbach GVT can do so so many other things for you. Like this lady Tammy Carvey in Michigan. She went to she goes to chad GPT and asks, uh, ask the Chad GBT to give her lottery numbers, and she did and won one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: So I'm liking to be a computer guy. Gives me some hope in chat GPT because I was panning it earlier.
Speaker 3: I uh, I asked a chat GBT for a set of powerball numbers, and those are the numbers I played on my ticket. So you obviously shouldn't win the big prize, but she won one hundred grand.
Speaker 1: Now that can get you. There can be some conspiracy theories there.
Speaker 3: Now, well, I'll see these uh, these these machines all talk to each other as well as I do.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm getting that. So uh maybe maybe maybe be like she shouldn't have told anyone, you know, like, don't give out your secretly you just keep doing it. We're all gonna try it. Who's not gonna do that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 21: Uh?
Speaker 1: With that week, go ahead to the news news Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 13: W l W News, Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred w l W Cincinnati.
Speaker 20: Cincinnati's police chief on leave, but she wants back on the job. This is the five o'clock report I met Reee breaking now. She's on paid administrative leave and Teresa Thiji's attorney says she is accused of no wrongdoing. Appears to be a political scapegoat. Attorney Steven m holding a news conference earlier today with the Cincinnati Police chief alongside, and her husband and her brother's there too.
Speaker 23: I think it would be fair to say that the chief is devastated by this. This came at exactly the worst time, and she has got a lot of support from her family and from her friends and from the rank and file that has helped it has been a devastating a few days for Chief.
Speaker 20: Chief Thiji did not speak during that news conference, nor did members of her family, but her attorney says she wants her job back and is not going to quit reaction from city hall.
Speaker 29: In a statement sent a few minutes into Chief the Jeez Attorney news conference, City Manager Cheryl Long says, quote, we respect Chief G's decades of service to the City of Cincinnati. Public safety is this administration's top priority, and we are responsible for delivering on that for the public.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 29: It says the city's committed to a fair and transparent process. Assistant Chief Adam Henny has been named interim Chief. Long's statement says that his strong operational experience will help insure stability. I'm Jack Crumley, News Radio seven hundred WLW, man who leads the Cincinnati Police Union, is reacting. We'll have that in a moment, but first we check your drive home. We had the latest traffic and weather together from.
Speaker 7: The UC Health Traffic Center Mammogram Saved Lives called five one three five eight four Pink. Schedule your mammogram with you see Health Expert Team five one three five eight four Pink Paddick is shut down approaching normal lateral as we have the northbound traffic effected here with this accident. Just avoid the area. Seventy five southbound at the Brent Spence Bridge is where we've gotten an accident with delays back to the viaduct fifteen minute delay now. Also an accident on seventy five south approaching State Route one twenty two and emergency crewis on the scene of two seventy five East spot after Dixie Highway in Kentucky. Crash reported. And on seventy five southbound Glendale Milford Deronalegan Highway, but a ten minute delay northbound seventy one Heavy Smith edwards the store two seventy five East Spot seventy five and Ohio Montgomery's about a five minute trip My brickshront News Radio seven hundred, Double do Wall, Double D Now.
Speaker 24: The latest forecast from the No Fear Dentist Weather Center Advanced dentistry the thought of the dentist making you a nervous wreck.
Speaker 1: We're here for you. No Fear Dentist dot Com Martley.
Speaker 20: Cloudy skies tonight with a low of forty three degrees mostly Sunday Tomorrow, high fifty seven clear skies tomorrow night, low thirty nine, sunshine fifty seven on Thursday, clear and much colder. On Thursday night, We're going to drop down into the mid thirties and areas of frost before nine am on Friday. Otherwise a sunny day and a high of fifty nine. Right now in Cincinnati, we have sixty six degrees more on the Cincinnati Police chiefs administrative leave which she is fighting. The president of the Cincinnati Police Union speaking with Dan Carroll this afternoon, Chief Fiji.
Speaker 25: Has the ability to be an effective police chief. Unfortunately, she's not given that ability right now, and when she's told what to do by city Hall, she's told what she can can't do. The end result is that this is what we have and this is ultimately why you know, the rank and file voted for voted no confidence against the mayor.
Speaker 20: Ten Cobra with the Cincinnati Police Union says he doesn't know why Fiji would want her job back because of the way the city administration has treated her. An update from the Ohio High School Athletic Association on the issue of name, image and likeness and the potential for high school ath leads to make money like they do In College.
Speaker 1: Executive director of.
Speaker 20: The OHSAA says there will be an emergency vote by member schools on NIL in the next month and a half. Franklin County judge issued a forty five day restraining order against the HSAA. Ban against high school kids making money from endorsements. Comes as a result of a lawsuit that was filed by a football player at Hubert Heights. Wayne, Ohio could become the forty fifth state in the country to allow some form of NIL for high school athletes soon. It's going to cost more to watch HBO Max subscription price increases for all three tiers announced today. It's the first price increase for HBO Max since June of last year.
Speaker 17: Seven hundred WLW Sports College Basketball ZAVI with eleven transferses have picked to finish eighth out of eleven teams in the Big East preseason poll. Saint John's picked a win, followed by Yukon and Creighton. Miami RedHawks have been selected to fit a second behind Akron in the Mid American Conference preseason Poul Miami senior guard Peter Souter was picked on the preseason All MAC First Team. Junior wing Ian Elmer was preseason All mac's second team College Football twenty first ranked Cincinnai Bearcats and Baylor Saturday at Nippert Stadium, More than Night on the Scott Sanderfield Show, Life in the Richard Montgomery Ant eight oh five, Bill Edison seven hundred W Bow Sports.
Speaker 1: On Wall Street.
Speaker 20: The Dow gained two hundred and eighteen points to close at forty six nine twenty four s and P five hundred, up a fraction of a point. Nastac lost thirty six. Next News at five thirty matt Reez News Radio seven hundred WLUBD.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Apollo Home, your source for plumbing, heating and air and electrical.
Speaker 1: Turn your past HPAC repair bills.
Speaker 3: In the headline reads, as scientists studied superagers for twenty five years and they found they all have one habboit in common.
Speaker 21: Is it?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the reason we have a guest to discuss. Thanks for asking.
Speaker 3: He is our good friend, doctor Patrick Porter, expert in brain health. Doctor Porter, it's always our pleasure. Thanks for being here.
Speaker 21: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: So let's let's discuss that one thing and this and this study. Doctor Porter describe what a superager is.
Speaker 21: First off, well, superager is somebody who, let's say they're eighty years old or older, but they're functioning like they're a fifty year old, and so they have a younger brain. And what they show is that the brain has less brain volume loss, which is over time our brain shrinks, and they have fewer Alzheimer types changes. So there are a special group of people out there that seem to keep their brain engaged, and that.
Speaker 3: Involves, well, the one thing we're talking about here, and obviously genetics are going to come into play and on and on and on and stressed during your life, I assume, But the one thing that they all that in common was a socialization.
Speaker 21: Yes, yeah, when you're when you're socializing, you you engage large neuro networks. In fact, there's a neurons called the kind of Motto, which is these neurons kind of act like super neurons and they drive more neuroplasticity to the brain. So the more you're out there socializing, communicating you know, basically you know, with other people, we find the brain stays more engaged.
Speaker 1: Through the course of this study by Northwestern University, they found they were socializing. Is there specifics about that that they hung out with friends X amount of times a week, a certain amount of friends, certain types of friends. What was some of the more details on that or was it just like, Hey, you go to the grocery store and you strike up a conversation with the clerk that day. You go to Starbucks that morning and you know, you're talking to the barista. Is it is it that kind of thing or is it more uh focused.
Speaker 2: More than that.
Speaker 21: They they become they're part of social clubs, they do a lot of volunteering. They they're actually they engage in these things on a daily basis. That are it's not something they just do occasionally, like when it's like when they're going shopping or something to talk to the butcher or something like that. They're they're doing it seems like they have uh, they have meaningful conversations on a daily basis, is what the study showed. So it's not something they just do occasionally.
Speaker 3: And that's and I guess that would have to do also with physical uh uh, you know, infirmary if you if you have a problem, uh, you're not going to get out as much. But it does family come into play at this with this at all.
Speaker 1: Dodge reporter.
Speaker 21: Well, yeah, I think family does if you're communicating with them.
Speaker 2: They've they've had.
Speaker 21: There's so many studies showing that families that eat together they have a better well being and more mental health and clarity as well. You know, they aren't get the people on looking at their iPads or iPhones and but they're having conversations about their day and talking through problems and creating solutions and things like that. That seems to have a big play in how it works.
Speaker 1: So, yes, this is really intriguing to me. You know, my parents. I grew up on a farm and rural southeast Ohio, and they retired and moved down to South Carolina five years ago, and I was like, oh, man, I was worried. My mom's very social. Well she's done exactly. She's seventy eight now she's done exactly what you just said. She's volunteering regularly. Cool, and she joined a social club. In this case, it's called the Buckeye Club, which is a group of men and women to get together and watch the Ohio state games and they do other things together. So I find that really they live in one of those golf court retirement communities. This I find this really interesting, and I'm like, yeah, like, you know, it's probably not rocket science.
Speaker 21: Right.
Speaker 1: If you're getting out and you're active, and you're engaging with folks and instead of sitting there watching TV all day, which is kind of what my dad does, right, you're gonna stay sharp.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Part of it is when you're in a conversation with people, you have to listen, comprehend, and then respond, So you're engaging more of your brain than just watching television or even reading a book or going for a walk by yourself.
Speaker 2: I mean when you're it causes the brain.
Speaker 12: To stay fit.
Speaker 21: So it's really a process. We have it outlined in my book The Brain Fitness Blueprint too, that it's so important. In the they call them blue zone studies, they found that the longevity studies, actually people live longer when they socialize, so not just as the brain function better, but the brain and body actually stay youthful for a longer period of time.
Speaker 3: Doctor Patrick Porter is our guest, and doctor is, does stuff like this help? Does it aid in prevention of dementia Alzheimer's type of thing? Or is that just kind of luck of the draw?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 21: No, it will, it will because the more you the more you engage these Hebb's law, which states those neurons that fire together wire together, and those neurons that don't fire together will unwire. So when you think about it's the use it or lose it situation with your brain. So the more you use it, the better it's going to work. It's it's really very That's why we say it's kind of like a muscle. It's not a muscle really, but it's it's neuron activity. And the more you use it, those neuron pathways stay open and they're easier to use.
Speaker 2: Then when you don't use them.
Speaker 21: That's why if you have any skill that you have, if you stop doing that skill for a while and then you go back to doing it, you might be a little rusty. They say, the problem is that the neuron pathways aren't there. So communication is a very important part of what we do as individuals. Think about ancient traditions. We would meet at the so we would socialize at the fire every night. You know, we might have tribal celebrations. You know, these are things that we used to do all the time. It's just now that we live separately and we have our own homes that we have to form these groups and clubs.
Speaker 1: In the in the study, obviously they found the socialize and you've gone over that. Was there anything else that was high on the list of the findings that showed, you know what, what's what makes you a superager?
Speaker 21: But well, the biggest thing is they found that socialization, I mean isolation is basically like smoking a cigarette, you know, the health risk it actually well they in the study, they showed that a thirty two percent risk of early death if you don't socialize. So I mean it's not only do you do the socialization help it, it actually will hurt you if you don't. So I think that that that really kind of I knew that isolation. We always say that addiction is isolation. You know, when you have connection, typically you don't have addiction, so you know, and so the brain is always looking for that connection. So I think this, you know, and they say that it actually weakens the immunity, so when you're out there engaging things, it just gets the whole body working.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that that is fascinating to me. That well, and I'd seen that that stat as well, that isolation is as bad for you as smoking. That's crazy to me. But by the same token, how many people do you see once there's foalsay diet that passes away, that they tend to not last very long after that? Is that just an impression I have, doctor, Is that something that's pretty common?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 21: And that's that's pretty common.
Speaker 12: I mean if they don't.
Speaker 21: One thing is if the brain doesn't have an outcome, doesn't know where you're going, the brain will just keep unwiring.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 21: That's why so many people there's actually a saying retire and expire because most people don't live five years after retirement because they.
Speaker 2: Don't have a plan.
Speaker 21: You know, you have to have another life planned like your like your mother is doing, you know, get into clubs, getting socialized, get something to look forward to on a daily weekly basis. That's that's going to motivate you to stay youthful. In fact, you know, I'm enjoying a pick a ball club. Whatever it takes to get you out there, moving and breeding and around people.
Speaker 1: I mean, it makes perfect sense. And I'm honestly, I'm doctor Porter, glad we're talking because I U My mom said there was an incident at her sho volunteers at a thrift store and someone drove through the uh through, you know, accidentally. I just drove through the front front, you know, part of the store the other day and I almost I almost literally this is two days ago. Almost to her. I was like, you need to stop, you need to stop doing that so much. I'm not gonna do that now because we're sitting here talking and you're right like, she loves it. She's you know, engaged with a lot of different people and the customers and the people she works with, and all this stuff makes it's it makes perfect sense. I mean you you think about I mean, yeah, you think about even in my own life, you know, or isolation is you know, you're down, depressed, and you know, or when you're when you're out and talking to people, like you feel energy. At least I do. That's I'm kind of one of these people that's right on the borderline of introvert extrovert, and I'm a lot I'm a lot better when I'm out and talking to people, which is why I like to work in the office a lot, because I know, even if I'm not even talking to people, I'm still around them. Sure, yeah, yeah, well that's important.
Speaker 21: It's a pair trait It's an important trade and I think they don't teach it enough in school. You know that the socialization, they kind of frown on it when people are socializing too much.
Speaker 3: Well, and doctor reported, don't you think that's that's a part of the problem. I think we're going to find as these the younger generations age, that their socialization skills are going to be they're diminished right now by staring at their screens, right.
Speaker 21: Yeah, they're becoming a noncommunicado. I mean, when you when you think that the world exists on your on your phone instead of in the real world, it's going to cause some problems. I'm I'm really not looking forward to what happens when all these people.
Speaker 2: I mean, even during COVID they said that people lost the ability to read faces because of the mask.
Speaker 21: So there's a whole group of people. You know, that's part of what we do is we we interpret facial expressions and it's really it's a part of our learned experiences. So if we're not if we're not actively communicating with people, we don't know how to read those cues, those socialization's cues.
Speaker 1: Well, that'd be it would be interesting if you started this study over again with you know, you know, and then you do it over twenty five years to see what the results would be, knowing that we are now in that age of post COVID of people, you know, so the phones and all that, and that would be interesting, you know, to talk in twenty five years after another study like this and see, I bet the results might well probably be the same, right, but there may not be as many superagers because of the thing you carry around your pocket and all the things that are on it.
Speaker 21: Yeah, it's time to there's there has to be a time for digital detoxes and you know, unplugging and getting out into the world and you know, just taking it back. I always think, take it back to I Love Lucy days. You know, they didn't have all the problems we had today. So you know, people need to just be more relaxed and go with the flow.
Speaker 3: All right, with that, doctor Porter, We'll let you go. That is fascinating stuff. People want to find out more about you and what you do. Where can they go.
Speaker 21: They can go to brain tap dot com. They can download our free app and they can start doing some brain fitness on their own.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks so much, my friend. Thanks doctor Porter. Okay, thank you, Uh, doctor Patrick Porter. You know, I think as a I'm not joking, but I'm not making light of who I think is would fall into this category as a superagor. Our friend Marty Brenneman eighty three, and that guy is a sharp as they come. But he is incredibly He's an incredibly social guy, always traveling, always doing something in the community. I think of him as I think of when we were talking about this, I was reading some of the stuff I was, I thought of him.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a great point because Marty, if you know, for for average Joe's, uh Joe's and Josettes listening right now, Josette uh trying to beat PC Josephine's or whatever. But anyways, that Marty if because he's on Facebook and all that. Yeah, And so it was he's on there with his wife all the time. And I and I follow Amanda on Facebook and Marty's rarely there, but she always is posting. Man, they are all like they just got back from a Mediterranean cruise.
Speaker 1: There are I.
Speaker 3: I gave him crap the last time I saw I was like, dude, every time I talk to you, every time I see you on Facebook or something.
Speaker 1: You're in London or Rome or in la or something. I was like, you a slow your role man, and he's usually go with a group of people. It seems like yeah, he's yeah, he's always taking pictures of a bunch of people and.
Speaker 21: This is him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it, And it's just it makes makes perfect sense. I mean, well, there's sharp something to be said for having a younger wife. To see that in the study, Well, I'll bet you that helps. I mean it's just she's not that much younger than him, but she's younger than him. So it's like, you know, get on, let's do this, because I think that as I get him what that does that to me all the time. I'm ten years older than her, and every once I just want to I really feel like doing that. You're like, damn it, let's just go. Well, now I'm seven years older than my wife and she's always kicking my butt.
Speaker 12: To go out and do something.
Speaker 1: Well, when do you get old and it starts to annoy you. I feel pretty old now it's fifty oh wow ouch.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, when he said doctor Porters, it's something about you know, they have the brain of a fifty year old I'm like, well, I hope it's better than this fifty year old's brain. You have to go back and reclaim more of it.
Speaker 2: Oh Man.
Speaker 1: With that, we check in with traffick and weather.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center. Mammogram Saved Lives called five one three five eight four. Pink, schedule your annual mammogram with you see Health SEXPERG Team five win three five eight four Pink. Cruiser's still working Paddock Road in Norwood lateral with the accident shutting down northbound traffic. Clean up continues seventy five southbound near the brunch Spence Bridge. It's an accident that has delays back to the viaduct about a seven minute slow down. Seventy five southbound between Glendielle Milford and Runnalrigg and Highways about a ten minute drive. Picking up an accident on seventy one north bound between Montgomery at Montgomery Road. That is, traffic is sowing from right around Smith Edwards it's about a ten minute to delay. And Central Parkway at West Liberty and act acident as well. I'm Rick Schrimp produce Radio seven hundred double d WELW.
Speaker 3: Forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight partly cloudy and forty five. For tomorrow partly cloudy and fifty six. It is sixty seven Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: What is sports?
Speaker 8: Sports is anticipation. It's why the two weeks before the Super Bowl is so hard. It's why we sit in the car and listen to the bottom of the ninth when the bases loaded. It's why we get so worked up for rivory games. Sports is anticipation. That's why we love it.
Speaker 9: Sports Talk with Lance McAllister tonight at six on seven hundred WLW, colling for some positive visualization.
Speaker 3: All right, back here on the Eddy and Rocky Show a little while longer rockout today. Jason Williams from the inquire Cincinnaight dot Com is with me. Before we get on out of here, let's talk about this government short shutdown in week three now, and Ben Siegel, the ABC News Do a deputy political director, is with us. So, Ben, are we seeing any movement on this stuff at all?
Speaker 22: We're seeing a lot of movement, but not a lot of motion towards resolving the government shutdown. We're seeing publicans, senators at the White House today with President Trump, they seem pretty dug in. They say this is Democrats that have to come to the table. Democrats are seeing pretty satisfied with what's happening. They're encouraged by these protests over the weekend, these anti Trump protests, and say that they think public opinion is on their side. So both sides are still really dug in. As we approach a lot of interesting dates on the calendar where you could see a deal coming together, but again we're still a ways off from that.
Speaker 1: You'll kind of tick off some of those dates for us if you would.
Speaker 22: Well, if you go back to the beginning, Democrats launched this whole fight over government funding because they wanted to protect subsidies for Obamacare for healthcare plans purchased on these marketplaces in the states. Well, open enrollment to sign up for those plans starts on November first, so in many places now it's too late for those subsidies to take effect. They're going to expire at the end of this year, not carry into next year, so the sticker shock for health insurance is already going to start hitting Americans. Democrats believe that voters will punish Republicans and blame them for this increase. So in a way, the political incentives have disappeared a bit after November one. So that's the first date. The second date is November twenty first. That's important because the deal on the table right now for Congress is a short term stop gap bill to fund the government for seven weeks. The seven weeks ends on November twenty first, So once we get past that date, Speaker Mike Johnson is going to have to bring Republicans back to Washington at some point in order to pass something because the deal on the table will no longer be valid. And then the third date is one we circle every year on all of our calendars, which is Thanksgiving and all the holiday travel that comes with that. We're seeing some strain already by air traffic controllers having to work without pay, and you know that is a very critical time of the year, and nowither party wants to be holding the political hot potato when more air traffic controllers fall and sick because of family issues in this very important stretch of the year as they're forced to work without pay. So those are just three dates in November to keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: And Ben, what about when you're talking about the air controllers, how about the TSA guys.
Speaker 1: Is that does that come into play?
Speaker 22: It's the same thing. They're all being forced to work without pay. Right now. It's possible that Trump administration is trying to, you know, find ways to pay people by moving money around, take it from one pot and put it in the other pot. But that's just the band aid of you know, questionable legality. That's not a long term fix. That doesn't solve the shutdown. So it may stopped the fighting for a little while, but you know, big picture, this is is a battle that's still going on, and neither side appears to be willing to come to the table.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, Ben, all we can do is kick back and watch these guys do nothing. Really appreciate I know, so do we, So does everyone?
Speaker 2: Ben?
Speaker 1: Thanks so much?
Speaker 3: Thanks and yeah, Ben sig good good stuff the shutdown. As we talked to Steve Cotton earlier, this is fun stuff, isn't it.
Speaker 1: But sure it's about to get real, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well apparently, but Jason, other news, Yes, we have other other fish to fry, or other wings to fry. This happened in uh in, Texas, According to court papers filed. Just the other day, a Travis County jail official was monitoring an inmate's phone call on an unrelated incident. He must have been trying to get some drug smug it in or something when the man told a relative that quote a correct corrections officer had provided him with chicken wings after he sent the officer money on a cash app.
Speaker 2: So, so a cop is.
Speaker 1: Taking money under the table to get to smuggle this guy's some wing. That's what the phone calls were him smuggling wings. Yeah, you know what. Not the guy and he was also trying to get some crack or something. But they all through that. They discovered that he was also having this a cop smuggle him some wings. Some would say chicken wings are like crack.
Speaker 2: Oh big time.
Speaker 3: Specifically, the inmates said that the officer had agreed to supply him with Hobin Yiro mango chicken wings from wingstop and return for fifty dollars. My man was craving some wings.
Speaker 1: He was fifty dollars. Hopefully he got a lot of them.
Speaker 3: A subsequent review of jail surveillance video showed a food delivery arriving at the Travis County Correctional complex in suburban Austin. After the paper bag was run through an X ray scanner. Amos non Away twenty five picks up the bag and eats some of the wings himself. And this is a non Away guy who was just hired last year by the police department. Takes several wings from the bag, places them on paper towels, and hands them to an inmate, and the inmate walks away with the chicken wings and eats them.
Speaker 1: These guys, these guys are not master criminals. Bro, These aren't the guys that robbed the louver. Would you imagine being the door dash or delivery person rolling up?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: The corp finals don't identify the gamate. Blah blah blah investigator. I've attained a search warrant for a cash app added to determine the extent of Nonaway's involvement in bringing contraband and to assist and identify other incidents. He was busted just the other day on a misdemeanor contraband charge, citing Texas Penal Code thirty eight point one one four an arrest to have a David notes that quote chicken wings are not provided for or authorized to be provided to inmates. So now you know, if you go to the joint, ain't allowed no chicken wings.
Speaker 1: Let's hope for the safety of everyone in that prison, that's the only thing that he has smuggled in his chicken wings.
Speaker 3: Well, see, if you're gonna get busted for something, don't you want to You know that's not gonna look good for you as far as in the inmate population.
Speaker 12: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I got some weed. Oh yeah, I got a bottle of you.
Speaker 3: Know, rum, I got some wings from Wingstop Abergnio Mango. What that's you're just going to take on beach up on principle.
Speaker 1: At least, at least you have a little bit of have a little bit of street crowd and get the absolute hottest wings you can get, Bring the hottest wings you can bring in there. But I that's when you get a craven for wings man. Apparently you can't. You'll go to You'll go to great Lings to get them, and you're the confident agreed to do it for you. Oh yeah yeah. With that thought in mind, we had to traffic and weather. What is going on