Speaker 1: Alongside the one, the only, Jason Williams, the third day in a row. Jason, howwy good brother? How you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: I am good. So it's that time of year.
Speaker 3: Everyone's getting packages and packages and packages and packages delivered to their house, which means you're a soft target for porch pirates, right those folks that they drive up, they jump out of the car, steal your package, jump.
Speaker 1: In the car, and none you can do about it. Well, we'll flip off your ring camera for you one exactly like a face at it. Right. Well, I think there's a lot of people out there, I'm certainly one of them to think, you know, the like it's just some good old fashioned street justice. Have some frontier.
Speaker 2: Justice would maybe stop this? And is there something we can do?
Speaker 1: Can we booby trap a package and allow it to blow up on them? If we've seen the videos online, they're hilarious and I think justified.
Speaker 2: But is it legal? And join us right now? Is attorney to the Stars.
Speaker 1: He's the first m an attorney here in town, the one, the only Jack grind Or Jack Howell are you hey?
Speaker 4: Roc?
Speaker 5: Are you doing good luck to your bombers this weekend? I want to make sure I get that.
Speaker 1: In before I appreciate it. Yeah, it's a big one. All comes down to this, we'll good, well, thank you. So yeah, and you wrote a good, a great op ed for the the Inquiry here talking about that, and.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of folks I feel I feel the same way I do.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, one way to to stop this from happening is just a good some good old fashioned retribution here.
Speaker 2: But legally speaking, can we do such things?
Speaker 5: Well, yes and no, or maybe I should say no and yes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Uh, A reader, a guy who reads my column wrote me an email and said, hey, I heard about this, can you can you write about it? So that's how it came about. I hadn't really given them a whole lot of thought, to.
Speaker 4: Be honest with you.
Speaker 5: But so I think that.
Speaker 1: If you.
Speaker 5: Injure somebody and you do it intentionally, and sometimes the law uses the word wantonly, uh, you can be liable for that injury. Now, And that's why I say yes and no. So yes, there can be liability, but there has to be some sort of injury. I mean, if it is just a you know, if it's a glitter bomb.
Speaker 1: But is everybody's seen online some great videos. They steal the package, they run out and boom a giant puff of a bye or whatever.
Speaker 5: So I don't think there's gonna be liability, you know, for just that kind of prank. I mean, you know, unless the guy wants you to pay his dry cleaning or something like that. But I don't think that's probably gonna happen. So uh, I think that. But the risk is if it if something goes wrong and you know, somehow or another the device you know, injures that person, perhaps burns them or uh, you know, causes eye problems for example, or you know, inhalation of it is you know, becomes a problem. So there really can be and and the law says that the level of care that you owe to somebody as a homeowner really depends on why that person is on your property. So if you've been if you've invited someone uh to come, you know, a plumber or something, and there's some unsafe situation in your house, and you know, the plumber steps on the rate that you left on the front porch and pronks their head, You've got liability to that to that plumber. That's the highest level because you have you have invited that person in if you've got what are called licensees, and that is people who are come to your property for a purpose of their own. So think of a you know, a girl scout selling cookies. You've you've got a duty to take care of any known dangers, but you're not liable for something that's that's unforeseen like you would be with an invite. The third category is the trespasser, and you have no liability typically to a trespasser, except for intentional actions that you take with respect to the to the trespasser. I think the underlying reason for this, the principle under it is that, you know, if you booby trap that thing and some innocent person comes and just bumps it or something, and it goes off and causes them injury, the law wants to prevent that. So in order to sort of prevent injury to innocent people, you know, the law says that the homeowner can be liable for intentional conduct even if it harms a non innocent person. And it sounds a little counterintuitive, but but that really is the law.
Speaker 1: Jack Loves Your Love your op ed on susame dot com and you touched on everything you just said here. You touched on that in your column. What I'm confused on is the trespasser piece, because aren't you wouldn't you be considered if you're a porch pirate, You've come onto my ear. You're trespassing on my property, right, and so wouldn't you are?
Speaker 5: And you're you're a trespasser, uh, and therefore you are the least, you know, the lowest duty that a homeowner owns, and that means that the homeowner is is not liable for anything that happens unless the homeowner, you know, caused it intentionally, So that means rigging up a glitter bomb. That means, you know, having an anvile drop on their head if you're wildly coyote or something.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: But that's uh.
Speaker 1: But that's it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I've looked on YouTube. I was curious about whether I could find any cases that actually where this actually came up.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, you can imagine that if I'm defending the homeowner again the porch pirate, I feel pretty good going into the case almost no matter what I did. I think the jury is going to be pretty sympathetic to the homeowner. So if there's not much casel that I could find I did find something on YouTube where a porch pirate who was absolutely.
Speaker 4: Caught in the act. I mean it was on the ring camera and they it was.
Speaker 5: It was a man and a woman working together the woman. The man waited in the car while the woman went up to the porch, grabs the package, starts to run away, and she trips and falls on the landscaping and really messes up her ankle. The man jumps out of the car, helps her into the car, then goes back and gets the package, and she sued the homeowner for damages from her ankle injury, and the court the judge just threw it out immediately and you know, let her know what he thought of her.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And again but that fall, he had a gut really Uh. The hold owner didn't do anything intentionally to hurt that person, right.
Speaker 1: So that's that's.
Speaker 5: An illustration of how it works. Whereas you know, it's the plumber, Uh, somebody you invited on tripped over the landscape and you might have a problem. So that's that's how the law draws the line. But it does seem you know, I get it where you think, Well, wait a minute, Like I said in my column, you mean the Harry and mart and Home alone could sue Kevin McAllister, And actually they probably could, just Kevin was was clearly intending to harm them.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But using your rake example, Jack, just to kind of sum it all up. If there's just happened to be a rake you left in your yard and someone you know steals a package and they're running out and they step on that thing and it goes through their foot, you're not liable. But if you purposefully put the rake in there for a way for them to get hurt while they're trustpassing on your yard, then you are liable, which seems crazy, but that's the breakdown, right have.
Speaker 5: You if you intended to cause the injury, Uh, You've you've got a problem. Uh So that's yeah. And again that's really to to protect innocent people who might get you know, collateral damage. It's trying to I guess, reduce collateral damage as much as possible.
Speaker 1: Well, Jack will listen. It has been great. We appreciate your time. I've got to let you go because I got to go home and diffuse a bunch of uh smoke bombs and packages at my house after talking with you here.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm glad to be of service, Rocky, And I'm not going to send you a billy.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: Just send one to you know, yeah, send one to him he needs it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, Jack has been great, brother, I really appreciate and uh, if we don't talk before, I have a great high all day man you too, Yes, yep, thanks to yah. I think so, because that would it would stop the problem. Right, it should be all about society should be the greater goal should be how do we get people to stop from doing this? Well, it's impossible for every cop to be at every house. But a way of stopping this is if there's enough people that see on video that there's folks out there that have packages and one of them could be wired up to blow up with die or hell anything explosives, it would stop the problem. Yeah, that's the problem with society. You forgot lawyers, Well you forgot to ask a key question. How many times has Jack Grinder covered my butt? Exactly? We keep them on speed dialing around here. Uh, let's go and check some trafficking weather from the UC Health Traffic Center. U see House Weight Laws Center offer a surgical and medical tob city care and expertise called five two sixty three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three crash on the ramp of two seventy five east bound on the off ramp to southbound seventy one. We're looking at delakings back to US forty two. It's about a seven minutes low down. It's the right lane that is blocked, and we thank you for the tip call on that Shepherd at seventy five. Accident blocks the right lane. Police are there and looking at the Columbia Parkway after seventy one with an accident vehicle into the wall here and police are there. Seventy five northbound Mitchell to Paddick is about a ten minute trip. Right now, southbound seventy five from Vezzer Charles to the Brent Spence stop a going. We do have that heavier traffic southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan Highwood to Norwood lad Or with the work that is ongoing here and so ituns back to Sheppard. I'm bricks reproduced Radio seven hundred wd WELW. The forecast tonight snow likely mainly after five pm, mostly cloudy with a low of twenty four new snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible, and then Thursday snow likely mainly before seven am, becoming mostly sonny the high of thirty Right now it is thirty two News Radio, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: All right, mister Penny, I'm going to say a word, and you tell me the first thing that pops into your mind.
Speaker 8: Okay, dok Smart Scott's Loan, Funny, Scott's Loan, reliable, Scott's Loan, mister Penny.
Speaker 1: You have to stop answering Scott's Loan.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll try, doc favorite Scott's Loan, mister Penny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I try.
Speaker 1: Get off my back.
Speaker 7: Scott's Loan.
Speaker 1: Listening can become habit for me.
Speaker 5: Join me Scott's Loan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Scott's Loan, mister Penny.
Speaker 9: This report is sponsored by Land of Illusion. Christmas Glows in Jason.
Speaker 2: On this day in History, nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 1: How about this, The first SMS text message is sent. Uh, well, Bob, it's that far back. Yeah. Neil Papworth, who was a twenty two year old engineer, uses a personal computer to send a text message of Merry Christmas to the Vodaphone network to the phone of a colleague. Papworth was working for the now defunct Anglo French IT Services company, was part of a team developing a short Message Service Center SMSC for the British telecommunications company Vota Phone in the UK. When they started getting the technology together together for it, sat out a computer terminal and sent the simple message to the mobile phone of Richard Jarvis, director of Vodaphone, who was attending holiday party. Quote it didn't feel momentous at all, Papworth later said, for me, it was just getting my job done on the day and ensuring that our software that we've been developing for a good year was working okay. Shortly after, Papworth received a call from the Christmas party letting him know that the outgoing message was received, so they couldn't text back from the phone to the computer.
Speaker 2: And that was way, way, way too complicated back then.
Speaker 1: But then then, and then one year later, and it's amazing how quickly things happen after this. One year later, Nokia released the first cell phone with the SMS feature, but messages uh then limited to one hundred and sixty characters due to bandwidth constraints could only be sent within the same mobile network, so you can send a Nokia to Nokia. Had they caught it? Like, was there a cost to it as well? I wonder yes? And yeah. Phone networks would finally allow users SMS across rival combretes in nineteen eighty nine as a means of casual communic communication. But but yeah, you had to there was a pretty substantial costs involved with it. Okay, so uh, text message the medi of communication blossom with the introduction of d T nine system, which is you know a little bit of of the it was still the you know, you got hit two yeah three times to get to see and all that. In the UK, the birthplace of texting, SMS messaging exploded in popularity. By February two thousand and one, about one billion texts were being sent every month and users were being charged here you go ten pence a text, and then by twenty ten reported that two hundred thousand text messages were being sent every minute. By twenty twelve, actually the texting started to see ad steady decline because now there's all there's you know, there's Facebook Messenger, there's fifty different things. That's one thing I complained about is there's so many different ways to like communicate. There's text, there's email, there's your work email, there's Facebook messenger, there's Instagram, you know message. It's it's crazy. I feel lucky to I was born. I remember the rotary telephone when I was young, right, the one where we had to put your finger in it and spin it. Then, of course the dial phone became popular. And then remember the days of the pager. My dad would not let me have a pager, even though it was kind of cool when I was in like, you know, middle school. Then cell phones and then cell phones that allowed you to text. I remember distinctly being in college. I've always said I didn't have a cell phone until my senior year. This was nineteen or shoot me, two thousand and two. I got when I think I was oh three, okay, yeah, I mean I held off. Oh yeah, I mean, well you would have been too, like, oh two, yeah, I have a long time, yeah, a long time in the office. Finally was like you gotta get one, right yeah, And of our little core group of friends, uh to, my buddies had one, and and I remember I distinctly remember I remember where I was when My one buddy was like, you know, I was like, did you call Butler? It was our friend Matt Butler, and I was like yeah. He didn't answer. He's like, well, just you can send him a text message and tell him we're gonna be I'm like, what, what is what is that? He's like, you can just text him the address we're gonna be. I'm like, that's the dumbest thing ever. Why don't I just I'll just wait a little bit and I'll call him, Like why would you? I couldn't. I couldn't at the time my wrap my head around the fact that why wouldn't you? Why would you sit there and text a message when you can just call somebody and have a conversation about and and to this day, there's a time and a place for text messaging, right, but there's a time and a place for an actual phone call, and less and less people want to get on the phone and talk about something and peopext back and forth. Twenty seven. I hate it two thoughts. I hate group texts. I hate I hate him. I held off for the longest time on participating in them, on sending them, and and then you know, I this group, like my wife is just in a million and like in like this group or our friends in Wyoming, and like we got we got a group text for our pick of the week pool, we got a group text for our you know couple, the couples that are friends, and we got a group text for you know whatever. There's another another big one off of our baseball team and another baseball team, and it's just like you know, and there's times and I'll when I was like yesterday, all the group text was going because of sledding. You know, the kids were out. I get out, I get out of here radio, and I've got twenty seven text messages. It's all from this one group. I don't go back and read all those. No, I just don't. No, No, there's that one. And the other thing that bugs me is when people want to want to like, you know, make big decisions or you know, want to talk a you know, some major thing that it's like, dude, it would be much faster to pick the phone up here and talk back and forth.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I agree. I couldn't agree more. But you also hear like you know, a certain generation they just let us make major decisions over like hey, I'm breaking up with you like, oh yeah, come on, that's the fault of text message is allowed a like a non like you know, human human contact conversation. So it's you know, there's it doesn't it's not as hard. Yeah, it's harder if you got to tell I used to. I say this all the time too when I had my training business. You know, at the time, kids would text like five minutes before their workout was supposed to start, like I'm not gonna make it like no, no, no, yeah, you if you're going to cancel a workout, you must call me and go through the one hundred and twenty seconds of uncomfortableness and me kind of you know, getting on you about canceling my workout that and go that late. But yeah, it's yeah, they just do it because it's just it's it's kind of an easier thing to do. But I sent you a text about that, coach.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now that is the world we live in, where I sent you a text or you didn't get the email. Yeah, you didn't get the email. Yeah, I mean between texts and emails, I went with the average amount of of those sort of messages I get, or the average person gets in a day because it's it's a hundreds hundreds. I just wish you would all go into one inbox and I could just see it all. I'd see my text. But the problem is with emails. It's like the inquire I get so and you it's same probably here for you at iHeart. There is so much junk mail that comes in there and muddies the waters and pushes good emails down if you end up missing it. Yeah, I know my work email here, I I because I'll get eighty junk emails or pitches or something. They're all junk. And then you missed you missed your email a day or two, and then it's like, did you get my email? No I didn't. Oh wait, let me go back and look. Oh there it is like but it's three three hundred and fifty emails down right, you know. And I'm not I'm not joking. It's just like, uh, and then you're right. It's funny you mentioned about the Facebook messenger somehow last it was last week. I'm just sitting there watching TV. I got Facebook up, so I just like I never check Facebook men, So I go down the rabbit hole of well, I scroll through. I mean, I got messages from people I hadn't heard from forever sending me hey I saw your column, like yeah, you know, and I'm like, oh man, I'm bummed out I didn't respect message. I'm like, like, I don't. Too many I got. I got text messages. I got an email, a personal email, a professional email. Heck, I've got an email here at iHeart is like percent of them or I'll just be asked. Your day could go on perfectly fine without them. But I got another rule to where if you send me an email and it's over three lines, I'm not reading it. Yeah, I'm just just not like so like, yeah, send me, Hey, let's let's talk about this, okay, and then then it's important. But if it's like some or a text message, that's that due. My mom is the worst. That's sending email linked text messages. It's a it's a running it's a running joke in our family. It was so funny.
Speaker 2: We've got a couple of calls.
Speaker 1: This is great. Here, let's go to a Greg way way down in Critin and Greg fire away.
Speaker 10: What do you.
Speaker 1: Got, Rocky?
Speaker 5: You were talking about remembering a roadary phone and I had a recent conversation with some gim Z relatives and if they knew what.
Speaker 1: A party line was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the eight people that could be on the phone at once and you'd have to wait to use the phone, then come.
Speaker 1: Out of semi private line was only.
Speaker 5: Two people, and then it come out you could actually get a private line. But yeah, they were just laughing and they couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: That that was a little before me.
Speaker 1: But I remember, like, you know, my my mom and dad talking about that were yeah, because like the neighborhood ladies would kind of listening on the line, they could hear the conversations right between you and the other neighbor lady. Right, oh, yeah, I remember the phone. Yeah yeah, I'm telling my mom and his friend to get off the phone and he need to cut the damn tell.
Speaker 2: Us that's it, Greg, Thank you, buddy, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, thank you to your point about busy signal, and I mean that was the thing I remember call waiting and it was like I feel like it was less than five dollars a month to get as my dad my parents refused to get can we get it? And he said absolutely not. I said I'll pay for it, absolutely not. Not doing it, but yeah, in high school, you call it called my girlfriend's busy, and it's like and then he finally like, oh yeah, my mom was on the phone.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. God, it's just so so much harder and easier back then.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's go to Mason. Talk to Brett, Brett fire Away.
Speaker 8: What do you got, hey, Rocky, Hey, I used to work for a paging company called Arch and that's when the that was just when the uh you know, the big displays of the two fifty six characters or wherever it came out. So there was a there was a monitoring system, there was a this was like this giant computer, but it had a tiny screen on it. It was maybe double the size of the ones on the pager, right, And we would this was way back when it all started, so those things would flow through there, but there weren't that many people in there, so we'd go get lunch, go get chairs, sit there and watch guys cheating on their whys, guys making drug deals.
Speaker 4: All kinds of insanity.
Speaker 8: Movie just like read it and sit there and eat lunch and be entertained all the time. Because as the pages were new, everybody was using and stuff.
Speaker 1: That's great and Brett fag you buy that's funny. Yeah. I remember a couple of buddies in high school text message and the thing you would always because you would, you'd call it and it would say the number that it would and then but everybody had their would use like their football number to.
Speaker 2: Say who it was.
Speaker 1: So I was twenty five and then if you want to if it was, you put nine to one one after it. That was like, oh, you gotta call me right now. I mean that kids, This was how it went back in the day. So I got to say, we're way late for a break. Let's check some trafficking weather. How are we looking at that? I just texted it to you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm kidding from that good, I didn't good.
Speaker 10: From the uc Health Traffic Center, uc Health's Weight Law Center, offering surgical and medical ob City Careen expertise called five win three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Well, we do have seventy five selling southbound through the road to work round Reagan Highway to northward Level about ten minute delay now and slow downs to Shepherd. We're selling northbound down seventy five Mitchell to Paddock. It's about a ten minute trip and stop and go seventy five Southwestern Avenue to the Brent Spence Bridge. Seventy one Dana to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway is about a ten minute drive as well. And good news Columbia Parkway has seventy one that accident has now cleared. I'm rich REMP News Radio seven hundred double d well W.
Speaker 1: The forecast Tonight snowlightly mainly after five pm, mostly cloudy with a low of twenty four new snow accumulation of less than half inch possible, and then Thursday snow likely mainly before seven am, becoming mostly sunny with a high of thirty. Right now it is thirty two news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 11: Warm your weary baseball bones next to our mighty hardball flame. Children the Reds Hot Stove leave tonight at six on seven hundred Jawadu, the home of the Reds.
Speaker 12: This report is sponsored by Mel's Auto Glass melsto Are Here We're going to is the Eddie and Rocky Show.
Speaker 1: Eddie's out and alongside Jason Williams and Jason. Eddie and I often talk about AI. You and I when you're filling in talk about AI at all? Yeah, about it because it is a big thing. I think a lot of people are scared of it and they wonder is it going to replace them? Because you do see it replacing some jobs out there, and seemingly, ever increasingly more and more tasks that it can do better than any human. And you see a lot of the industry is now using AI and chat GPT to do kind of small tasks, now mid size tasks. And I mean you're talking about going up against something that you know knows everything right. It is a database of all the written material about whatever subject matter is out there, and they can process it and flip it up in a matter of seconds.
Speaker 2: So it's hard to compete with.
Speaker 1: So but again you see it use more and more different places now from what I'm reading, Jason, it's being used to help choose Christmas gifts. Yes, we can't even choose our own Christmas gifts anymore. Join us right now to discuss such thing as Lisa W. Millers. She is a researcher and author. Lisa, Welcome to the program. How are you good?
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me back?
Speaker 1: Very good. Yeah, So I guess I mean is this I imagine a kind of a newer thing now. But what specifically are are people doing in terms of using AI for their Christmas gift selection?
Speaker 6: Well, I just got a survey back at about a thousand consumers, and basically the consumers are saying, yes, you nailed it. They are using AI to help find the perfect gift, and it's just gifts in general. But the other thing is it's more personalized gifts. But the interesting big insight was when I look at it, like this year versus last year, what consumers are doing a lot less with AI is trying to find the best deal. So because if you think about it, if you get all those links and chat tobt or any of the other AI platforms, you click on the link and the price is different or it's out of stock, and so it's actually being less reliable for the deals and the best prices. But when it comes to finding the right gift that's really personalized, consumers are all in.
Speaker 1: So I guess for an example, like someone's like, okay, am I mother in law. I don't know what to get her. So you go, okay, my mother in law is you know, sixty years old. She lives in the Midwest. She likes horses. Boom. You just plug all these things in and it spits you out what they think is a good gift. Is that how it works?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, and so yeah, So imagine a child, a parent, a coworker. If you can just put in a few think of it like creating a little persona like this person loves the outdoors. This person loves you know, different colors or bright colors or more black and white colors, you know, for clothing. And so you put in all these little descriptions like a little narrative. And the interesting thing is it's kind of the way our brains work anyway, is that you know, we know the people were buying gifts for. But sometimes it's just hard. Websites today they're very very practical. You have to say, oh, I want an appliance or I need a gadget. So today it's actually it's interesting you can create I think you can create a pretty personalized gift.
Speaker 1: Lisa. Do you even in some cases do you even have to put even that much information and say, if you know, I'm you know, I'm constantly searching for baseball equipment for my son's baseball apparel equipment, Like I am looking for a gift, you know, I just if I went into you know, one of the AI software and said, what's a good gift for my son? Could it even pull some of my search history or algorithms and see like, oh yeah, here's a baseball one on one T shirt that he would.
Speaker 6: Want or something well that I think that is like the probably billion trillion dollar question right now, because right now it is based on it's based on more of what you're prompting it with. You know, what I think is so funny in today's world is our language has actually even changed due to AI. So instead of saying, let's pop in a question, we say what's the right prompt you know, and so the language of how we even talk about it's interesting. But to answer is that those integrations now, if it's in a chat, like if you're in one of the chat modes, it would go a little bit about about that, but relative to all of your browsing history and all that, that's not really a part of how it's working today. So for your son, you would have to put in he likes baseball, he's ten years old. I live, you know, in where you live, and so those are the things that will just provide better answers, because otherwise you'll get super generic and that may just be frustrating not helpful.
Speaker 2: Lisa W.
Speaker 1: Miller's Our Guests. He's a researcher and author us. He writes and discuss a lot about AI. So I'm confused, Lisa on how do the producers of these products?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: The companies, how are they reacting if they know that people are using AI to select Christmas gifts? What in turn are they doe to make you buy more of their stuff?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: And that again is the billion dollar question. And so recently Walmart actually is partnering with open Ai and they created, of course a little sparky which is their icon, the little yellow star icon, little button there, and that will help you tie your AI chats to Walmart. But so today the retailers they are kind of all, I don't say, up in arms, but the retailers today are definitely a little concerned and worried about it. Because it used to be Google search companies would pay to say, hey, if you type in a coffee maker, you know, I want, you know, williams Noma to come up, So I'm going to pay Google to put Williams Noma's coffee maker at the top or the cured coffee maker at the top, and marketers paid for that. Well, that model doesn't exist in chat GPT, at least not yet, and hopefully you know that will be a whole different thing. But so those searches are really in open AI, are not sponsored, and so that's a really refreshing thing for consumers. But the retailers and product manufacturers are absolutely trying to say, how do I get selected first?
Speaker 1: Well, along those same lines too, isn't Walmart and Target both working on partnering with some AI organizations?
Speaker 6: They are, Yeah, they are, And so what's happening is Walmart will create it's an algorithm through open AI, and then Target will create their algorithm through open AI. But they're going to be different. So it would just be like me putting in my chat versus you putting in your chat. What it fits out is going to be different because what I put the questions I put in are going to be different.
Speaker 1: So they say, here's the million dollar question, and I guess maybe it's a two points. It really delves into do people want a gift that they like or is it the thought that counts. Do people would they rather get a gift that their loved one or friend sat down and thought and thought about them, and thought about their relationship and thought about what they really want as a gift, or that person just plugged in the chat GBT and got them a gift.
Speaker 2: What what do people say is they would rather have?
Speaker 6: Well, it's so's that's a great question. I The short answer is, in today's world, and I think this is a big insight, people are prioritizing the right gift over the cheapest gift because everybody's talking about, yes, the economy is not doing well, but it's not about just finding the best deal or the best lowest price. You want to have a gift that they're that person's going to like. So that's point one. But to answer your question more directly, it's it there's no universal answer. One of the other projects I can't wait to share with you guys, I'm working on this idea of people are like embarrassed to say that they're using chat ChiPT. Not everybody, but there's a group of people that are like, oh man, I don't want anybody to know. I feel like I'm breaking some code, moral code, that I'm you know, using chat GPT to help with this, but that's not everybody, and so they're they're definitely people that are like, Wow, this is awesome, this thoughtful gift is better than I could have ever come up with on my own, and that so some people believe that, but then others are very much like, oh, they're kind of just you know, sneaking away in a closet and just like, okay, chat GPT helped me, but they don't want anybody to know they use chat GPT. So we're in this really weird inflection point about how people feel, how it reflects on yourself if people find out that they use CHATCHI people.
Speaker 1: You've been doing We've been googling that stuff, I mean, is it not really the concept doesn't any I mean I've googled like birthday gift ideas from my wife before, like anniversary gifts. I feel like this is a like a step too far that I feel I can see how thoughtful you got me this get you didn't think of it. The machine thought of it, right, And it's a good point.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing, but it's a great question. Is this is the debate about a I love it. This is a debate about AI right now, because we all have been using Google search exactly what you just said, I need help with a birthday gift, right, and it's given us choices. But but now we can actually get a better answer by providing more information. So whoever's gave the gift actually might like it better, but somehow we feel worse about it. It's just an interesting psychology. I can't wait to keep tracking it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's certainly a very interesting just thought exercise of I just wonder in the future, will we be as humans be able to do anything without help. I just to be able to process a thought and do critical thinking and justify the plus minuses and make a selection, or are we gonna need help all the time. But that's for another yea, Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, I was just gonna say I actually have data on that, because there are people that actually are believing that AI is helping them be more creative and more have better critical thinking, because it's like a thought partner. But again, on the other side, there are people that are saying, wow, I just did not thinking anymore. So I think it's we as humans have to control how we're using it. If we just spit something in there and copy paste it and put it someplace, you know, like in an email, then no, I think that's going to make us all dumber. But if we use it as a more you know, asking questions and thinking more about it, then that's a different outcome. So the jury is still out for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just worry that people are going to take the easy route. What gets this done quicker so I can get back to scroll on Instagram. I just I feel like that's that's what's a danger here. But Lisa, we got to run. But really appreciate your time on this. If folks want to find out more about you and what you do, where can they go? What can they do?
Speaker 6: Yes, you can just look up Lisa W. Miller and then you can use the hashtag journey back to joy and they'll find all my content.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll type that in chat GBT. You know, I'm just kidding, Lisa. But we appreciate your time and maybe we'll do it again. Thank you, Thanks Lisa, Thank you Bye. It is interesting, right, because that's what I was. Oh, no, just enhances my ability to do work? Is enhances?
Speaker 2: Or is it kind of doing it for you? It seems to me like.
Speaker 1: You make a great point about Yeah, like we we've all typed stuff into Google and and and all that. But I just feel like this is the next step of removing ourselves from the whole process even more. I think there's more bad than good with AI. I think so. But I'm I'm kind of I'm old school. I'm kind of old schooler. Yeah exactly. I just wonder, I do I wonder do we get to the point where can we do anything? Can we problem solved? Can we even have an even just a general opinion about something without typing it in your your device, Because I mean, the mind is like any It's not a muscle, but it's like a muscle, and that it needs to be exercised. And if you're constantly not doing critical thinking an exercise in your mind, you lose the ability to do that. And then it's like somebody says, hey, rock, what do you think about this?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, and everyone just kind of like reaches for their phone and goes, well, I'll type it in and see what it says. That's no fun, that's no good week week all.
Speaker 2: Right, check traffic and weather. How are we going.
Speaker 10: Well from the UC Health Traffic Center uce Hell's Weight Laws Center. Offer a surgy call and Medical Obesity CAAREN Expertise call five point three nine three nine and twenty two sixty three nine three nine and twenty two sixty three two seventy five traffic. So it was between US fifty two and five mile because of the ongoing rook. We've got about a fifteen minute delay. Now our right lane is taken up. Delays go back to four seventy one. Good news on the freeways. We are accident for justsing the heavier pockets on southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan Highwood and Norwood Lateral with about a ten minute trip. So down's back to Shepherd northbound seventy five Mitchell to Paddock, It's about a fifteen minute drive. And stomp and go seventy five southbound from Western Avenue to the Brent Spence. Now on seventy one northbound to Dana to Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway, planning about a twelve minute trip. In Harrison at Westwood Northern Cruise on the scene cleaning up an accident here my bricks Shrempro News Radio seven hundred double do wellw in the forecast.
Speaker 1: Tonight snow lightly mainly after five pm, mostly cloudy, with a low of twenty four new snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible, and then Thursday snow likely mainly before seven am, becoming mostly sonny with a high of thirty. Right now, it is thirty two News Radio, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: Is it true Tom Brennan and arranges the food on his dinner in alphabetical order?
Speaker 1: That is not true, he said true.
Speaker 13: Government scientists have studied Tom Brenneman's brain to better mankind.
Speaker 1: That's not true, but sounds like a pretty good idea.
Speaker 13: He said. True, Tom brenhaman is the best way to start your day. You bet it's true. I've got the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, investment.
Speaker 1: News, and always a good time.
Speaker 13: It's my morning gift to you, Tom Brenneman, Tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by all State. Some people just know you could save money on car insurance.
Speaker 1: By checking all State first.
Speaker 10: Those people are probably saving a car load of cash right now.
Speaker 2: So what are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 1: Welcome back Rocky alongside Jason Williams coming.
Speaker 2: Up at the top of the hour. This is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: We have the head coach of the Miami Redhax, Chuck Martin. Okay, it's heading to his third straight MAC title game. A crazy season. I don't have him, you know, talk about all the ins and outs of it. But as seasons are hard enough dealing with, you know, the ups and the downs, and the injuries and all this and that, but a few other things having to pop up with this program this year.
Speaker 2: And in spite of all that, the RedHawks.
Speaker 1: Are going to the underrated Martin man. That guy is just very a steady hand there at Miami. Yes, and uh so, yeah, we're gonna talk to him, not just about his team, but also some of the bigger issues of college football right now, which brings us to our topic.
Speaker 2: Now I'd like to discuss with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, because the new the new playoff rankings came out last night, right, Yeah, so, and I'm pulling them up as we as we speak here. I I get here's my my main thing I want to say on it. Like usually when you get to the end of something, that's when it gets That's when I'm supposed to get really exciting, and the payoff is supposed to be huge and it's supposed to be dialed in, right, I feel like we're we we had all a great college football season, and it's like, right at the end when it's supposed to be fun and everyone's into and everyone understands what's going on, there's so much ambiguity and craziness between the coaches leaving and and you know, and and players opting now and then with the whole CFP, it's it's so hard to understand. And I'm this is my job to understand the college football playoffs and all the things they look at, and even I can't understand and justify some of the rankings of these teams. I mean, point a in the ACC title game, Okay, a seven and five duke team is going to play a ten and two Virginia team, a seven and five team, and none of that. Neither of those will will make the playoff even they win, even if they win, so but Miami is likely going to get I just feel like, again, it's so convoluted and confusing. Is so was supposed to be exciting, and it's like everyone's like, what huh, what's going on with this, and then you throw on top of that, you're irish getting bumped down a spot after a twenty eight point win. They get bumped down to from nine to ten. Basically them in Alabama get flip flopped. Alabama basically had to go forward and fourth and yeah, so you make that one makes sense. I know a lot of I know a lot of folks on social media were ticked about that one, and rightfully so. I mean notre dame with them, really, I think a much. They have a much better resume in terms of the teams they've beaten and what they've beaten them by Alabama squeaking by what Auburn they squeak by. I don't have their schedule. There's a couple other teams that you would think they would have beaten handily that they just barely beat. So, you know, a lot of a lot of buzz about a SEC bias and the whole thing is just it. I don't find it to be. I mean, yeah, if you were a fan of a handful of teams, but unlike basketball, like you know you are not, it's not the incentive is not there to think like, oh, my team's got a shot to make the tournament. Now, Now, you know, if you're a fan of a really good mid major basketball program, you're not gonna win the national championship. But I know my team's got a shot to make the tournament. I know my team's got a shot to maybe win a game, maybe even get too sweet sixteen. That's not football like we like. It really ticks, especially as a fan of lifelong fan of Marshall Thundering Herd. Like the little guy is rewarded in so many sports, or is really championed. The underdog is championed in so many except for college football. Yes, and it's it's so frustrating, so fruv it's champion on the on the basketball side, at least on college basketball side. Now you can argue, like, you know, the underdog is not really champion in Major League Baseball, right, you know, it's the Dodgers and the Yankees and they're Blue Jet, you know, all the big money teams, and then the Reds and the Pirates are all kind of like, eh, whatever, you don't you're you know, you you're you're left out in the cold because there's no salary cap, right, But I don't know, man, it just I feel like part of the beauty of college sports has always been the the underdog aspect of it. And like that the underdog is completely and I don't know, I'm not just talking about even like group of five types of teams. I'm talking about even really a great majority of the power for types of teams are are really kind of cut out of this as well. They are. But you know, I will play devil's advocate for that because, especially in this scenario, one of the because a group of five team is guaranteed to get in under this under the new rules and regulations of it, correct, which is going to be this year, what likely a possibly what Tulane Tulane is right now Texas Currently Tulane is the highest ranked group of five team. They are in there at number twenty at ten. And so my devil's advergate argument to your argument about and I understand what you're saying about having the a G five team in is Notre Dame is likely going to get left out of this playoff, but.
Speaker 2: Tulane gets in. I don't disagree with that.
Speaker 1: Got you got a Notre Dame team, that's that's you know, gone ten and two. Their first two losses were the first two losses of the season. You know, new line, brand new quarterback, you know, and he lost to a Miami team by and he lost to Texas A and M by one point. I agree, And you don't go to the playoff because because we got to get we gotta finally get Tulane in s Yeah. See, And I don't in the way the format is currently, I don't disagree with that so much. But I think this is a year where you could I think a year like this makes the argument for expanding even beyond me. This is this the first year for twelve teams, second the second year, okay, yeah, And I think this is the year where you can make the argument for expanding to sixteen because there's gonna be a lot of good teams left out of this.
Speaker 2: I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 1: But then the arguments we're gonna have the same argument.
Speaker 2: It's going to be about the seventeenth and eighteen nineteen teams.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I just feel like we got to get to we've got to get the committee out of this. So there's got to get a way to get the committee because they're so inconsistent on what they value in some rankings, they value eye tests. In other words, how does this team look and in a theoretical match, who would win if it won by eye test?
Speaker 2: Notre Dame passes the test.
Speaker 1: But head to head and I understand this argument, it's hard hard to battle that argument. When Miami beat Notre Dame, it's hard to say Notre Dame should go in the playoff over Miami. I get that, but there's there's so much inconsistency from week to week, year to year on what the committee values.
Speaker 2: That's what I don't like.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, now you've gotten me thinking, because then that that leads to there is no uniformity on the non conference schedule, right, so schools can you know, like what is the incentive? Like what Ohio State place Texas? You know, So, like they go out and they schedule a big team. Obviously Notre Dame is an independent, They're going to schedule a lot of heavyweights. But then there's some of these other teams like that they don't schedule anyone, they don't schedule any power conferences in their non conference and it's just like Indiana, great example. But it's like so then and again this is this goes to the bigger bigger picture of there is no governing body here, there is no commissioner, there is no set of rules, and you can get down the rabbit hole of you know, there's no salary cap, there's no like who's paying billion dollar industry that has volunteers that that run it, that's to come.
Speaker 2: It's crazy now. And to your point right there about.
Speaker 1: Texas, because yeah, you and Steve Sarkisian if you heard him talk, who's the head coach of Texas?
Speaker 2: He paid that point, which is, hey, yeah.
Speaker 1: We're nine and three, yep, but one of our losses in the first game of the season was the Ohio State, the number one team in the nation right now, and he said, and I agree with him. Had we scheduled Old Dominion week one and beat the hell out of him and we're sitting here at ten and two instead of nine and three, we would be in the playoff now. I would also say, if you're him, you know they got beat by Georgia by twenty five points. They lost to an eight lost Florida team. That's that's the part that doesn't really job with his argument. They needed overtime to beat UK. But yeah, you can have a situation where teams are are not are trying to schedule cupcake games instead of these great early season at of conference games. A Fanwood doesn't want that exactly. You go to Old miss Ole Misses another example there. Their non conference schedule was Georgia State, which I believe won one game this season, yes two lane, which really is this year. They were more like a power conference team. That's a solid I mean, but you don't know when you schedule that, and certainly the perception of it. Washington State, which is no longer a power conference team, and the citadel An FCS team that was there for non conference games, and and so like there being there being no rules in college football of you saying, hey that your your your schedule hat you are required to schedule one power conference team, one Group of five team, and one uh, you know FCS team. I don't know, like there's no there's just there's no uniformity to any of this stuff. There there's no like the you know, the unlimited amounts of transfer, you know, like and in any like now everyone's afraid like they're gonna get sued. Like it's there needs to be rules put in. I saw where I was a chip Roy is he the congressman? Is he from Texas? He was? He waxed poetic about it on the floor or in a committee meeting, I believe that was today or yesterday, just railing on some of the things you and I are railing on here. Yeah, and I well, I'm sitting there watching it. I'm like, you know what, Yeah, I'm not typically in favor of government stepping in on a lot of things, and especially on sports or something like this. But it might have to take an Act of Congress to fix this. And that's sad to say. And then that goes back to what I was saying yesterday, is there's there's there's Yeah, there's not that one singular head governing body watching out for every conference equally because all the separate conferences. Greg Sank, for example, who runs the Commissioner of the SEC, he only cares about the SEC. Give it damn what happens the Ohio State and Penn State and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, so there needs to be that, but that would.
Speaker 1: Require giving up some and the folks that run the big ten, the folks run the SEC, don't want to do that. But but you know, to our previous point about the the we should want good non conference games, right, especially at the beginning of the year. Right, and then Sarkisian's point as well, we're kind of being penalized for losing a you know, a game against the number one team in the nation.
Speaker 2: What's our instentive the schedule is games? Well, here you go.
Speaker 1: Today Alabama announced that it has agreed to move their previously scheduled twenty twenty six matchup versus USF okay South pretty good. Yeah, then at the beginning of twenty twenty seven. But so they're going to replace USF, which is a group of five but still good team I think Chattanooga. There you go. So, so they're saying, well, we're not going to get any credit for playing USF, So why why let's remove any chance at all that we could lose that game or not win by enough. And know so where would where would Texas be? Let's say, if Texas had had played, uh it scheduled I don't know, Georgia State instead of Ohio State, they'd be ten and two right now, right they their non conference was Ohio State, San Jose State, UTEP, and Sam Houston. So you know, I don't know this whole thing is just it's it's very frustrating. And again it's yeah, if you're sitting there as an Ohio State or Indiana fan right now, or you know, you're like this is this, You're not frustrated nor should you be right, but you know, for the greater good of there might be years when when you are sitting here in Notre Dame seat right now as Ohio State or or Indian I mean Indian Indiana. Let's I mean they're going to be able to sustain this great coach. I don't know, but I mean Ohio State obviously, they're going to be in there every year. The team that I think is the committee wants to screw and they're going to screw them bad if they can. As b YU, theyre all eleven and one, Okay, they have a two to one record over top twenty five teams, and they are ranked behind a ten and two Notre Dame team that is one and two.
Speaker 2: Versus the top twenty five.
Speaker 1: And I'm a Notre Dame guy admitting, hey, I would admit in front of God and everybody that Notre Dame schedule they don't have the quality wins that some of these other schools do, and if you're comparing them to BYU, you could make a good argument again at b Y you sitting there eleven and one, but they're ranked behind Notre Dame and they're gonna try to screw them if they would. If they don't they get be by Texas Tech in the Big Twelve title game, there's no way they'll get in that game. And the graad you brought them up too, because that's another piece of the schedule. The Big Twelve decided we're gonna play nine conference games, so they're a nine conference game league, whereas what I think is the Big Ten and a nine conference SEC is they do four non conference so that allows you to get another cupcake versus a conference game. See, there aren't not everybody in your conference is great, but would you rather you know, be playing West Virginia or uh, you know, Chattanooga.
Speaker 2: Well, if it goes to.
Speaker 1: Me, the most consistent thing of the committee as I look at it over the last everman year has been a few years, is they seem to value wins more than get losses. So so it is telling teams that is incentivizing them, Hey, don't take that that big risk. Texas and schedule Ohio State as much as everybody wants you to, because if you lose it, we're gonna hold it against you. Instead, go play Sam Houston State and blow their doors off and get that win and be you know, eleven and one, ten and two, and you have a better shot of making them play.
Speaker 2: That's what they're telling people.
Speaker 1: Well and just a mess. It is a total mess. Speaking of a mess, we're way late for the break. Let's check some trafficking weather real quick.
Speaker 2: How we do it, how we do it?
Speaker 10: And from the UC Health Traffic Center, U see House Weight Loss Center off resurgical and medical ob city Care and expertist. Go find one nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Thanks three nine twenty two sixty three. Ronald Reagan Highway east bound of Writing Accent and down the right shoulder, Reid Hartman Osborne. We picked up a crash and we're sewing on two seventy five between US fifty two and to five mile. Fifteen minutes delay due to the construction. I'm rich reproduced Radio seven hundred double D WILB.
Speaker 1: The forecast tonight snow lightly mainly after five pm, mostly cloudy, with a low of twenty four new snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible, and then Thursday snowlightly mainly before seven am, becoming mostly sony with a high of thirty. Right now it is thirty two News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Willy is the one person I know I can count on, my friend. I want you to know that I Bill Cunningham am here for you.
Speaker 14: It makes me feel good to be an American.
Speaker 1: Let me help ease your concerns, keep you informed, and raise your spirits. I rather have my armnawed off by beavers than miss Willie's show.
Speaker 2: I'm here for you. All you have to do is listen to me the great America.
Speaker 4: I want to be a great American, just like Willie.
Speaker 7: Bill Cunningham Tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred w LW.
Speaker 12: This report is sponsored by one Hour Heating and Aeric Kindy Shing. Winter temps are upon us. It's time to get your heating tune up. With one Hour Heating and Air Kindich Shing. They will have your system ready for these chilli nights with twenty four to seven availability and a satisfaction guarantee. Book now at one Hour Airsinc Dot com.
Speaker 14: Hey does every step or reach a reminder of what you're not able to do anymore because of that pain. Great news here because relief doesn't have to come from a scalpel. It could come from your own body thanks to QC kinetics. QC taps into your body's own regenative power, using natural healing factors that help restore and repair damage tissue, reduce inflammation, and relieve pain. Added source Listen. I've watched the process firsthand. It's quick, it's easy, and it can work for you. No surgery, no pain pills, no long recovery, just your body remembering how to heal itself and be alive again. Don't just mass the pain. The QC kinetics regain what pain took away. And now's a great time to use your HSA and FSA funds to get started before the year ends. The consultation's totally free, so called five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen. Five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen QC Kinetics five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen.
Speaker 1: Jeff Wellernissan dot com.
Speaker 14: Your holiday to do list can be longer than Santus.
Speaker 7: Between the shopping, the decorating, kids concert, hankering and arguing.
Speaker 1: There is over many elements of college football. One thing you can't argue, and that is the dominance of the Miami RedHawks over the last few years. They are now heading to their third straight MAC title game. They'll face Western Michigan here on Saturday. And joining us right now is the head coach of that team, A guy I think a lot of the one the only Chuck Martin.
Speaker 2: Chuck, how are.
Speaker 4: You doing good at Rockey? How you do it?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good here?
Speaker 1: So it was Look, every season's crazy in its own right. So many unbelievable things happened, but this one in particular was even more wild, right, Like, you know you had to change at quarterback late in the year. Just describe some of the things you had to go through and keeping this thing on the rails to finish this season off, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, we knew going into this year it was gold be crazy. We brought in forty We had twenty eight seniors, those guys that been here forever, took us to back to back MAC Championship games. Gabett was actually our quarterback in nineteen when we won it as a freshman. He's still our quarterback in twenty four in the Max Championship Game. So we knew it would be changing the ground. We knew it could be a lot of just trying to figure out. Like I would say, we went to Wisconsin, It's not like our kids didn't like each other, but we weren't a team yet because like they didn't really even know each other. I said, you don't really get to know each other until you actually get out there and you get some sand kicked in your Facebook. But then you find out who's going to have each other's back, you know. And we start off oning three and a gut wrenching loss to UNLV where we actually played good. They're ten and two now and you know, playing for a conference title. We had them beat twice three times and let it slip away. Then we go on a nice little run, but we lose our starting tailback, we lost two of our top wideouts, and then you know, we have a gut wrenching loss to OU where we got to lead with two fifty left and have them sacked and get a face mask, and then they win it. And then we don't play good against Toledo, which you were at, and we have a new quarterback and it didn't go well, and now we're left for dead. And then, you know, weeks eleven or weeks weeks eleven and twelve, we go with a new quarterback, a freshman hasn't played all year, hasn't really even taken reps in brashe all year, and we have back to back pretty convincing which victories and we get in a three way tie and we win the tie breaker basically because we beat Western and Toledo and oh you didn't beat Western. That's really what it comes down to. And we get to go back to met championship and again last week the game, Clint, you know, we got to beat ball State to get in. We know, if we win, we're in. Thomas Kakowski a Brail and Im for the first two touchdowns and like on your Bingo card, like Thomas Kakowski didn't play a snap in his college career until week eleven, and brailn Im didn't play a snap until week seven, and he was healthy. He just he was a he's a Richard freshman wide out down. We like him. But we got some good players, and we kept losing players and losing players, and next thing, you know, Braylon itms to start wide up for us, and I'm like, when he caught a second touchdown, we got fourteen son like Kakowski item I did not see this one. You know. De Chante Jones was our fifth de Chante Jones from Glenville. He's a redshirt freshman. He's our fifthteam tailback to start the year. He's leading our team in touchdowns. Like you told me, just de Chantey Jones gonna lead you in touchdown Me like this, I think Jones probably not's gonna play this year. We're talking about you know, so we've been through it. Credit to the coaching staff, but credit to the kids. They just have hung in there, hung in there, hung in there, and next thing you know, you look up and somehow we're in Detroit and we played in this game three years and roll like you said, Rocky, we have five players that have played in MAX Championship game. That's it. I'm bringing a hard ten kids to Detroit. Last year when we played in it, we almost had every like I probably had thirty some kids that had played in the twenty three games. And then they're back in twenty four at least, Like, well, you've got advantage. You got all this experience. I go, none of these kid's like, there's no one on our offense that's going to take a rep that's played in the mac champship game, and only five guys in our defense. I've ever wayed.
Speaker 1: That is amazing.
Speaker 4: It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Coach, speaking of my hanging in there, You've done it. I mean, you've withstood the test of time and in a world where it's like, you know, if you lost this game, oh, this guy's on the hot seat. You've been in Miami for since twenty fourteen, You've been able to sustain success through the just absolute craziness of college football. How have you? How have you adjusted to that world of transfer? Like how much different is your daily job today versus it was even certainly when you first came to.
Speaker 4: Miami, But even five years ago, college football has changed, right a million folder. We all know, like it's not the job's nothing like it's sept for when you get between the lines, you get the coach kids. You know, you get coach awesome kids who are trying to figure out not only football but life. And so again, we've done a good job because we haven't like we don't get into the change, Like, here's the rules. We don't We're not four, Like, what do you think of anio? What do you think of transfer reporter? What do you I'm like, we don't think. I ain't that Like that's I run a company. I don't make the rules. Government makes me, the NCAAMA, whatever makes the rules. We've just said, hey, here's where it is. You know. Do you want to lose your best players? No? But we're a max school. So I can sit here and pout and screen when Reggie Virgil makes a million dollars to go to Texas Tech, you know, yeah. Or I can be happy for Reggie and be happy for my time with Reggie. Like me and Reggie had a great three years together. And I think he owes me and my staff some because we developed them. But I think we owe him some too, Like he'll just get to the MAC title game last year, you know, and now he's got this a million dollar opportunity. I just lost. We had a quarterback admitted forever. I just lost them to Michigan seven days ago. I'm not supposed to get mad at that kid. He got a Michigan offer.
Speaker 2: And keep winning and get the Max, you can't. You got to keep going.
Speaker 4: The fans want to get all mad. I'm like, I'm kids got a Michigan offer, Like are you for real? Like I did like and I'm I'm I like Miami and I think a lot of this place, but like, I'm not a not an idiot, like and it's Lloyd Current's grandson and his dad played there and his mom's granddad's a Hall of Famer. But who cares that that there was none of those times? Who's taking a Michigan offer? Seven to Iel? Well, he's not loyal. You know, he's been committed for I'm like.
Speaker 2: I gotch you guys, but these days are.
Speaker 4: Quarterback.
Speaker 1: But well and Chuck, I think two things you're you're smart about doing, which is number one, you're not resisting. I feel like the coaches that resist and kind of piss and moan about the portal, and it's unfair that they don't make it because as you said, you don't make the rules, but your damnager gotta gotta abide because you have no choice. And I think the other part is you're at a point where I don't think you take it personal. You just say, look, this is kind of water off your back. All right, that's fine, this guy moves on. We'll go to the next one. And rather than waste so much emotion and energy worrying about some things you can't control, you don't worry about it, and you just move on the next thing.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it's frustrating because your work hard in life and you expect some rewards because you work hard. So we go back to backch mech title games. You know, we've got the best record in the league and blah blah blah for a long time, and we put together this incredible recruiting class, like it's the best one we've ever had, you know, And we lost six guys to Power four programs in the last month. Six Now I usually lose maybe one, maybe two, Like it's not uncure, somebody comes in. I lost six in a month. I had twenty four kids committed a month CARSS fined eighteen to day. And it was going to be our best class ever. We lost two kids to Michigan and four other Power five. You know, four of the Power four. Is It's like okay, well yeah, because it suck, yeah, but like that's the best. I mean, those are legitimate kids. We had recruiting. I mean, like the other you're kind of proud, like, hey, Michigan's taking your guys. You're probably on some pretty good players, you know. Like so again, it's just the way it is. And they're like they're just they're just poaching your guys. Yeah, well that's yeah, it's but if they're poaching Ten States guys, they're not poaching of our guys. I'm on the wrong guys here. I mean, anybody in the transfer portal. If we don't lose anybody the transfer portal to the bigger schools, we probably don't have a very good MAC team, right, Yeah, that's right. Reality the year I don't lose anybody to get you know, like it's bought off my roster, Well, I probably have bur good year. I'd rather I've rather have really good players that the big boys want. That. That's that's more fun for me.
Speaker 1: Coach, what's kept you at Miami? You've had You've had success. You're obviously you're in your third Uh you're in your third straight MAC title game where you know a lot of coaches, uh would would move on and go on to a bigger power conference.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Job, You've you've you've stayed there, and you stayed the course. What's kept you in Miami one.
Speaker 4: It's a great place. So I've loved every minute here too. I'm not somebody that really looks for jobs. Three, to be honest, are non league scheduling. I always tell Miami, you got me in jail here, Like I'm going to be really good in the MAC. I've had the best record over the last nine years. We're fifty five and twenty one in Mac play since whatever twenty sixteen. But we play all these incredible you know, we went big ten, big ten UNLV, We've gone big ten, big ten, U see for years yep. And my non legal erectords like twelve and thirty six. And I honestly, you know, my agent, I says, when they start looking for jobs, which is about week six, I'm usually about four and four and I'm not real sexyet and again it's like I may win the MAC this year and I'll be eight and five. Well, you know, so, I say, Miami' kind of figure out. They make me lose a lot of games early in the year, then I win a lot of games late, so they're going to keep me around because I'm good I'm a good MAC coach, but they they my record is not My record is not what it could be if we schedule a little better non league. So we're working on that though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean maybe that is their diabolical plan, just to to keep it in like a hotel.
Speaker 4: It's like the Hotel California.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Yeah, you can check out, you can never leave, right whatever the line is.
Speaker 4: So, like I always tell people, it's a pretty good place, like, yeah, you know what, you guys know it like it's a wonderful school. We've got these amazing football facilities that we've upgrade since we've been here. We can get great kids. I've been fortunate. My two coordinators have been here for twelve years. Like who no head coach has been anywhere for twelve years, but let alone, they've never had a coordinator for twelve when you're having success like so, I've been very blussed and fortunate to be at Miami.
Speaker 1: Chuck Martner is our guest, the head coach of the Miami RedHawks. They're on their way to their third straight MAC title game. That'll be this Saturday against Western Michigan and Jack Before you let you Go, I would love if if you had a comment on the college football playoff in general. I commented earlier that you know, it's like it's the end of the season, right and you know we've it's been such a great season, so many great games and matchups. As we get to the end and there's it's just like total confusion and you know this team should be in, No, that team should be in. Do you have any any thoughts when when you look at the college football playoff and how things are decided that that you would like to see different.
Speaker 4: Now? I always want the best teams. Then I love that there's a G five that has access. I don't I don't totally get you know, five conference winners like I just think you should be trying to get the best twelve. I love being a G five program. I love that you give a little guy access. You know, there's so much cool in March madness because some you created something. It's not gonna happen very well, but at some point a little school is gonna do it, you know, gonna upset that five seed, you know, so I love that part. After that, I don't think there should be I don't think there should be conference to I just think go with the best eleven that year, you know, go with the best eleven. Who cares. You don't have to take any conference champion, you don't have to take. Just try to get the best eleven. The cool thing is, what do you take too teams? People going to argue between two and three, if you take four, people going to argue if you take twelve. The cool thing right now is there's tons that's it just makes hollege football better?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 4: Notre Dame? Is it?
Speaker 15: Miami?
Speaker 4: Is it? Let's be why you get in? Who's who deserved.
Speaker 1: Miami beating like and all?
Speaker 4: That just makes it fun and crazy and the fans love it and we love it. And if somebody's always going to be the thirteenth team, right there's always gonna be a bubble team that doesn't get in and they're going to be mad. It doesn't matter if you have sixty four teams, the sixty fifth teams match. But I just wish they wouldn't have the conference. The conference ties don't make sense to me. Just get the best eleven and ten, take one of the little you know, reward the best you know, g five team and create a you know, David Versuskliath and again to me, that's pretty cool that try to include us, you know, but then just take the best eleven who cares a conference, who cares? Who want to league? You don't want to take, you know, a team that's got three losses or four losses that won a league you don't want. You don't want Duke to have an automatic bid or something. You mean, you don't want to get into that. I just want to get the best eleven teams there and have one heck of a tournament.
Speaker 1: Yep, agreed. I think it's well, we all want well, Chuck, listen, we got to run. But but really appreciate your time. You know, I admire what you do and think you do such a great job there. Best luck and go capture that championship.
Speaker 4: All right, appreciate it guy, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, you got it? Uh get him Chuck Martin, head coach of Miami. Yeah, he's uh it is. I mean because I talked with him. I when he first got that job twelve years ago. I went out there and I was just starting my broadcasting career, so I wanted to make some contacts and learn from some people. And I know he had been at Notre Dame and went out and talked with him and it was really impressed with his knowledge. And you can hear him talk, right, the guy knows what he's discuss and fiery love.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But again, I I mean, yeah, it is he is smart for not trying to resist. If you're a if you're a G five coach and you're like complaining all the time, I can't believe our players getting stolen here. You're what, you won't last, You'll you'll crack suspective to be shared. Yeah, Hey, I'm I'm losing. I lost some guys to Michigan.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: If I'm not losing guys in Michigan, that that's a real problem, right. It means we don't have guys that nobody wants, right Yeah, I mean it's really a compliment to him in an odd way. And it's just that's just the world we live in. It's those good of players and they're saying, yes, I want to come to Miami and then someone you know, a blue blood sweeps in and says, oh, we want this guy. Oh okay. I've always thought there should be some sort of payment, like if you're a you know, a power five power four school, and you take a player from say a MAX school, and that players and iled, and you're going to pay them two hundred and twenty five thousand dollars. I think a portion of that money should should go to them where at least there's something that they're giving up this player, the players, leaving them high and dry here, and there should be some sort of compensation for that. Put it on. Put on the list of things that need to champ mean, that list keeps growing rock so many things need to be fixed. That was one more of it. Agreed.
Speaker 2: All right, let's check some trafficking weather. How are we looking out there?
Speaker 10: We're looking out there and from the UC Health Traffic Center. UC Health's Weight Law Center offer a surgical and medical obesity care an expertise called five point three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Afternoon. The commute picking up a bit, but no major problems. We do have the accident on two seventy five eastpun Ufter coal rangers reported taking up the left lane. Our construction delays on two seventy five Eastpawn between US fifty two and five mile up to about a twenty minute trip through the area, and again we have the right lane shut down, only the left lane open. Seventy five is sowing southbound Walldling and Highway to Norwood Lateral and from west from the viaduct down to the Brent Spence Bridge. And we're so northbound seventy five Mitchell to Paddock. That's up to a fifteen minute trip and at fifteen minute drive now to seventy five between Levin and Road and leveland Madeira. I'm Rick sh Remp News Radio seven hundred W t WELLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast tonight snow lightly mainly after five pm, mostly cloudy with a low of twenty four new snow accumulation of less than half inch possible, and then Thursday snowlightly mainly before seven am, becoming mostly sunny with a high of thirty. Right now it is thirty two News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: You love the Rads. We love the Rads. My mother's dog loves the Rads. That's why we bring you the reds Honstove League tonight at six on seven hundred Wlwick.
Speaker 1: And Dinner Winter the Home of.
Speaker 7: The cincon Nay Rads.
Speaker 9: This report is sponsored by okeef's working hands hand cream.
Speaker 13: That number under dash says it's freezing in your dry winter hands.
Speaker 2: They agree, o'keef's working hands the hand cream.
Speaker 1: All rights back with Rocky alongside Jason Williams and Jason. This is a story that's been out there a lot today. It has a lot to do with those the drug boats that the Trump administration is blowing out of the water, and some are saying that there was a Columbian fisherman on one of these res and then there was maybe a second strike that was ordered by Pete Hegseth to kill anybody that survived it. With the latest on this, we have Royal Oaks from ABC Royal.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: What is the latest?
Speaker 8: Ye know?
Speaker 15: The latest is that there's a complaint being filed with the Inter American Commission on Human Rights with the family of the fishermen, and they claim it he was just a fisherman. But the Trump administration is going to be able to point to the fact that there was pentanyl and cocaine found floating in the water after the strike. The bigger problem for the Trump administration is what you alluded to. If anybody gave an order to kill people that are basically just paddling a out of the water after being hit, then they are going to have a lot of explaining to do so.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I did watch the Department of War did announce that according to their intelligence, every one of these boats that have been shot out have confirmed that there was drugs on it, right, So that's not a part of the discussion at all.
Speaker 15: So that really goes to the essence of this. You're hearing nothing but oh, they were innocent. My family was an innocent victim. They were just fishermen from basically everybody hit, and of course there have been a lot of them. You have had twenty one strikes and eighty three deaths in the last couple of months. So now the question is every single strike is going to be investigated. What is the evidence that there were were not drugs on those boats? And afkan is a month of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I find heart to believe. Yeah, I was just an hon fisherman. Having him on a boat full of enough fentanyl to kill you know, two hundred and fifty thousand Americans or something, it's crazy to me. I don't understand it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, And that's where the lengthy investigations are going to come in and then of course the issue of Pete Hegst's responsibility. He made it clear that he saw and gave the order for the first strike, but he was not in the room when the second strike happened, and so it looks like he's distancing himself from that decision.
Speaker 1: What is the the argument from the uh the dead fish the dead fisherman's family? Is it? I mean, is it possible that some of these drug lords that are you know, sending these boats or putting I don't know people on there and like saying, hey, you can uh, you can go on this uh fishing excursion to not tell the amerriage. Yeah, I mean yeah, is that is that a possibility or is that an argument here?
Speaker 15: Absolutely? Yeah, you could spin this out any which way you want. I mean, theoretically you can have a totally innocent fisherman who happens to be on a boat where some people were smuggling drugs. We just don't really know the truth. What's happening with the Human Rights Commission is that they can't take money from anybody or put anybody in jail. They just want to shine a light on possible human rights violations and then people can talk about war crimes and things like that, but as they say, it's going to take a long time to unsort all of these many strikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you mentioned that the Inner American Commission on Human Rights, Like what you know, I know that that's that's part of this case, but like, I've never heard of that before. Is that a pretty common or like do they like who who? Where's that based at? And who's you're You're.
Speaker 15: Not alone, it's not it's not a household name. And as I mentioned, it has no real power. It just wants to shine a light. Now, there are lots of human rights organizations all around the world, and you know, they just have a single purpose. Let's find examples where bad guys are doing terrible things to innocent victims, and uh, let's publicize it and maybe there will be lawsuits, maybe there will be war crime allegations. But yeah, it's it's strictly advisory. There is no real power.
Speaker 1: Well, we will see how it all shakes out. Royal, I really appreciate time. Thank you, Thanks thanks Roy, thank you. So I'm reading here according to a guy named Tommy Pugou, he is a of the U. S Department of State, And according to him, every one of these drug boats I misspoke on number. It's every one of these boats represents twenty five thousand Americans.
Speaker 2: That could be killed.
Speaker 1: On the average amount of drugs that's on this enough to kill twenty five thousand. And you're supposed to convince me that this was just some poor innocent fishermen who when it's already again by US intelligence, every one of these boats has had drugs on it. Just some poor fishermen just just happened to be on this boat.
Speaker 2: Bs.
Speaker 1: I think every time one of these boats gets blown out of the water and Angel gets its wings Jason, little Christmas a little wonderful it's a wonderful life reference there. I just can't imagine why people were upset about this. Well, it's unfor I mean, if this is an innocent you know, bystander who was put up to saying, ah this, you know, by drug lords. And like you said, it's been confirmed that every one of these boats that have been blown up have had drugs on them. What do you do of America? Like, that's the mission is to keep drugs from being trafficked into America, and this is the way to do it. Yeah, I don't buy it. If you're on a boat, you have to know that. What's all it's on that boat. I again, there's some scenario out there where you don't know. But I think I think we all know what these are all about. All right, this is a drug boat. All right, let's go ahead and check some trafficking weather. How are we looking? All right? Back with Rocky alongside Jason Williams for just another couple of minutes here, and we're gonna send everyone out with this story here Jason. So this is in Virginia, okay. An employee who runs a state liquor store, and this is in Ashland, Virginia, a small town kind of around Richmond. He arrived at work and has opened up the store. And he walks in the store and walks down with the aisles and there's like lots of broken liquor bottles all over the floor. What the hell's going on here? You know, liquor everywhere, pools of liquor and all that. Well, then so he starts to look around. He goes into the bathroom, okay, and there passed out on the floor.
Speaker 2: It's a raccoon.
Speaker 1: I guess the Animal Control Department Hanover County shared a picture of the raccoon that was discovered passed out right next to the toilet in the bathroom that it apparently wandered in after the uh you know, the moonshine had kicked in there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The animal was transported to a shelter and after we give being given a few hours of sleep to sleep it off, it was released back into the wild. Jason, back into your trash can rock And I didn't print the pictures out, but it is like it looks like what a human would look like if they drank to much, just kind of like sprawt out on the floor head over, you know, by the toilet there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: We we've all been there and no raccoon has I guess too. There was earlier this year. Uh, there was a a in Kentucky. A Kentucky nurse Yeah used s e pr to like to save a raccoon and a dumpster or something that was crazy. I think you might have let it go there. But anyway, in another news and other news, uh, you and I talked about the ozempic. Yeah, that was a good discussion. Yes, yes, sir, well dovetail off of that, Uh, young women are dropping thousands on a gruesome rib removal surgery as the dangerous ozempic body trend takes hold rock now speaking of it, wasn't the the urban legend that Marilyn Manson had a rib removed so he could Yeah, well anyway, yeah, so this is actually real? Yes, reading from the New York Post, of course, the shocking trend of suddenly curvelous celebrities flaunting their so called quote ozimpic bodies and having a dangerous impact on women. Easily accessible up one GLP one drugs can deliver a real thin frame in just months months, as it has for folks or celebrities like Amy Schumer and Meghan Trainer. But someone else, Emily James, I don't know it does. Ring a Bell opted to take even more drastic measures in her quest for perfection, spending thirteen thousand, seven hundred and fifty dollars on a risky rib removal procedure, because you know, you become so skinny so fast, and like, you know, obviously, when you're really really skinny, oh hey, I could see your ribs, you need to eat a cheeseburger. You remember when people would say it, like yeah, you know when people would say that the kids, how much, just like back off your dosage of ozembic rather than go and get a rib remove that's pretty crazy and invasive, having a total of six ribs taken out of her body, three from each side, yes, three from each side. But your your rib cage, you know, is there for a reason.
Speaker 2: It's not arbitrary.
Speaker 1: There to protect old right, yeah, you're pancreas, your stomach and all that keep it from gold torso up and right yeah, and all that from getting injured from each It would allow Emily James Uh. She had hoped to instantly achieve the perfect physique she had always dreamed of. Instead, James found herself in a waking nightmare as after going under the Knight to shrink her waistline from thirty two inches to twenty four. The lifestyle influencer said she had nothing but regret over her decision to go for the not so quick fix and then removing her ribs. That I don't recommend rib removal surgery to anyone, she said, I would, Yeah, that's she just goes to your point. They are no longer they are no longer ribs protecting my liver and kidneys, which could be a problem if I'm ever in a bad as or experience an extreme impact. I don't care about that. I mean beautiful and rich, it's fine, crazy, as you said, They're there for a reason, there for a reason, all right, and we are done for a reason. And that reason is who Day. Today is next, and then Red's Hot Stove League. We'll see you tomorrow. Seven hundred WLW