Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. We're joined Ryan now by one of my favorite guys. He's always prepared. You can make a pawn on his last name, first call, last call calls all the time. That's the one and only Alex call. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dave, you you goot answering the call, You've got last call, you know, whatever it is there is, I've heard them all pretty much.
Speaker 1: Hey, you answer the call all the time. I watched you today. So much preparation goes into a day when you're not even starting, taking the ball off the bat and batting practice, all three outfield spots, taking batting practice, facing live BP to help Evan Phillips and Brock Stewart. Is this just a Dan the life of Alex call.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a blessing to be able to be on this team and play Major League Baseball and do what I do.
Speaker 3: And there's just so much that goes into it.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody, every single kid wants to be in my position, and you can't take that for granted. You have to go and attack every day with the mindset of, hey, I got to earn my keep today, I gotta find a way to get better. I gotta find a way to prepare myself for the next opportunity.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be be my way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Bottom line is, you know, I I don't always know what I'm gonna play, when I'm gonna get called on, when I'm gonna start, And because of that, this game is about results. This game is about how you produce on the field. So it doesn't matter when they call you, what the game situation is or what's going on. It's my job to produce at a major league level. And you know, if you don't do that, then you leave the door open for you know, something else. And so preparation is the most important thing. And understanding that and taking that to heart and just being having it be a part of your U team and your day makes it easy and keeps you focused.
Speaker 1: What goes into why you go out to the out field in the corners and center field to take you know, shag during while your teammates are taking batting practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well as the outfield, like the best work you can do is live reads off the bat in batting practice. So this is a cherished time. I would say, because it's really the best practice you can do. And you know, nowadays with how they evaluate outfielders, how they evaluate everybody on defense, there's never been more data.
Speaker 3: Available for every single play.
Speaker 2: Every single play gets graded, every single play can carry an enormous weight for the amount of value that you provide for the team. And so trying to get the best reps possible via the best means of practice with batting practice live reads off the bat is how you can get better, stay sharp, and be ready for the game. So understanding like, hey, every single ball off the bat is an opportunity for me to create value for the team, and I have to be ready for every one of those in every position, So I like to rotate around all three. You know, might not get all three one day, but over the course of the week, try to try to touch all three.
Speaker 1: Alex, Since you played for the Nationals and now you're with the Dodgers, we've heard so much about the Dodgers research and development department being able to position infielders and outfielders where they don't have to cover as much ground. They're really good at scouting the opposition and positioning you guys in the right spot. Have you found that to be a big difference from where you were before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we in Washington, there was you know, there was data that we had, We had the card, we had the information, and you know, I guess whose information is the best?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't really know.
Speaker 2: I guess the results kind of speak for themselves based on you know, what team has the most outs above average or defensive run saved, you know, for their outfielders. You know, it has to do with obviously defensive ability and talent, but also a lot of the underlying metrics have to do with positioning. And so yeah, I guess I haven't dived too deep into, you know what, which one's better, But you just you trust the organization that's giving you the information and trust the data, and then you also trust your eyes. You know, if there's something that we see, we're free to be able to move in that regard. And so but for the most part, I like to just trust and get ready to make the play.
Speaker 1: Alex calls our guests before first pitch between the Dodgers and Rockies. Got to ask you about that insane play last week in San Diego. Mason Miller Aaron throw you're at first base. Do you feel like you got picked off there and you were fortunate? How do you look back at it now that we've had a week to kind of digest it all.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was obviously, you know, if he makes a good throw, I'm gonna be in a pickle there. And the odds are literally right, Yeah, the odds are never favorable.
Speaker 3: But here's the deal.
Speaker 2: You know, against a you know, one of the best pitchers in the game who's been electric, had a ton of success, and nobody's.
Speaker 3: Really had success off of him.
Speaker 2: We got a guy on base with one out, and the bottom line is, how are we going to find a way to how are we going to find a way to score a run? So getting those extra ninety feet in a situation where we've had scouted looks, we know what he looks like, we know what he does, we know what his tendencies are.
Speaker 3: But that's just the information.
Speaker 2: The information is is the information, you trust it, but no information is one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: So I trusted my eyes, I trusted the read of what we had, and I went with him. And it didn't you know, something happened that we weren't expecting.
Speaker 2: But hey, he can throw an air and throw, and we were trying to, you know, not force the issue, but.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're trying to win the game. We're trying to win the game.
Speaker 2: We're trying to catch from off balance, and maybe that was just enough for him to get off balance and got over to third base. And then Andy had a great at bat and be able to get the sack fhe So, you know, it's a calculated risk. Obviously, you never want to get picked off, but in a situation where hey, that ninety feet matters, we're gonna have a tough time putting a few hits together on this guy.
Speaker 3: Anyway, you know, let's go for it.
Speaker 2: And so then you just trust the data, trust your eyes, and luckily it worked out.
Speaker 1: Hey, nobody would break it down better than that than Alex Call himself. Before I let you go, Otani was out here throwing off flackgrounds. So there was a lot of Japanese media hanging out while I was waiting for you, and they said, who am I waiting for. I said, I'm not waiting for Otani, I'm waiting for Alex Call. And they told me they believe that you have a doppelganger out there. And they told me that they had told you who they believe. Alex Call, looks like, can you share that with us?
Speaker 4: Was that the banjo? The young bon Jovi reference? Yes, John bon Jovi. Hey, you know, at least they didn't say old on job. They said young bon Jovi, young bo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten that, I've gotten Christian McCaffrey, I've gotten Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 3: So a few different guys that.
Speaker 2: Depending on if I got the headband on or what I got going on, can get a few different results. But hey, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Japanese media they see John bon Jovi every night at Dodgers Stadium, and that's Alex Call. Living on a prayer, living on a prayer.
Speaker 3: What's the other one wanted dead or alive? You know that one too.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, Alex. Always great to catch up with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no problem, Dave