Speaker 1: All right, the average American and for the great American once again on this Thursday. Great to have you with us. Don't say that capriciously. This is the great medium of terrestrial radio. But even if you are listening on the great iHeartMedia app, we welcome you in once again for the next three hours. A lot going on today, of course, major news coming out of the NBA gambling scandal, FBI all over it will have that in just a bit. We also are watching exactly what's going on from a geopolitical standpoint between the United States and China. And it's interesting. Things don't exist in a vacuum when you're talking about geopolitical situations. They simply don't. There are other players involved, allies of certain countries, people that may facilitate what the major superpowers want to do. And we all have our eyes on China is our biggest adversary when it comes to trade, and from a military standpoint, they are a very formidable foe, and we all know over the course of the last four years there were an inordinate amount of military aged Chinese men that were led into this country with unfettered access to the entire fifty United States, and now this as the US and China get into this urinating contest over tariffs, and right now, on November first, it's apparently going to be a showdown date when more US tariffs will go into effect. And you have the Trump administration now considering a plan to curb an array of software powered exports to China, laptops and jet engines, all retaliating against Beijing's latest round of rare earth export restrictions. Now we have this Venezuela becoming a player in China v the United States. We know what the administration has been up to with blowing up these boats that are transporting narcotics off the coast of South America. And we all know that they view the Venezuelan president, Nicholas Maduro as illegitimate. And we all know that the CIA has begin to infiltrate some of those South American countries. But how is China and Venezuela all interlocked right now and perhaps being a megapo against the United States. It's not as simple as it seems. And I don't have to tell my guests this. Joshua Philip has been on my show before. He is a senior investigative reporter at the Epic Times, and he's been digging into this. This is a man who has been involved in interviewing carteil traffickers, He's been inside Central America. He's done, as they say in journalism, the footwork, and now working as this senior investigative reporter for the Epic Times. He brings it all to you on shows like Crossroads. And it's great that he can carve out some time to spend with us here on seven hundred A w wel w and Joshua, how are you on this glorious Thursday.
Speaker 2: Hey, Ken, great to hear from you, and doing doing well. No shortage of news at the very at least, right, No, there.
Speaker 1: Is not, and and this is concerning. Look, Venezuela to me has always been kind of a gnat that you just swat away. Every so often. They have dirty, dirty oil. The United States bought some dirty oil from Venezuela. Other people buy oil from Venezuela and just get out of the way. You know what you're You're you're a ten. You got a tinpot dictator in you're third world country. But now being an all in an alliance with China, they become more of a problem for the United States. So let's just talk about how oil of this is related. Are ongoing, urinating contests with China over tariffs and then Venezuela, who is supplying that dirty oil to China. It's it's all interlocked, is it not?
Speaker 2: It one hundred percent is And you know, again, as many issues tend to be, China is the big picture with Venezuela. So you know, we've all seen some of the videos I assume of Trump posting them and Pete Heggs had posted them. They're blowing up these cartel boats. And you know, when a lot of us think cartels were thinking Mexico, we're thinking the Mexican drug cartels. We're not really thinking like Venezuelan traffickers. Why do they come from Venezuela. Now, if you had asked me, the real picture of all this doesn't start the last few months. The big picture of this actually starts back in twenty eighteen, and that goes back to the Venezuelan elections. What happened at the time, Well, Nicholas Maduro, the still current leader of Venezuela, was accused of rigging the election. He was accused by Donald Trump. He was even accused of this by Biden. And you know, in the United States, the whole allegation of election.
Speaker 3: Fraud is one thing.
Speaker 2: Even Biden accused Maduro of digging the elections, and both Trump and Biden recognized the opposition leader as the official leader of Venezuela. Maduro was seen as the unofficial leader, labeled also as the leader of the Cartel of the Sons by both Trump and Biden. The issue back in twenty eighteen, though, was that you had huge protests on the streets. It looked like Maduro was going to be overthrown. They were accusing the US, Oh, you're you know, you're trying to overthrow our government as they are right now, right is they're saying right now. And then what happened. The Chinese Communist Party in Russia deployed forces to Venezuela. And during this was towards you know, I mean mid mid first term of Trump, right, Trump was talking about intervening in Venezuela. Russia threatened the United States. Russia said if America intervenes, there will be bloodshed, and Trump actually backed off with That was the end of the Venezuela story. You know, during the first Trump term in office. But what the story said at the time was that China was basically trying to protect its investments in Venezuela tens of billions of dollars, basically bailing out the country and controlling the country. Venezuela became a puppet state of the CCP during that time. And the other big picture is that Venezuela now suffering from economic decline and everything else. They want more resources. The big resource just north of them in Guyana, where they found one of the largest oil reserves in the world several years back. Eggs On Mobil is currently doing a lot of the you know, the operations there. Venezuela then comes out and claims they have historical ownership over the part of Guyana where the eggs on Mobile operations are, and so they're getting ready to start a war there. They're working with Brazil Lula now back in power, and they want to start a war basically to retake their quote unquote you know what belongs to them, they say.
Speaker 3: Which is not true.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 2: Marco Rubio actually went down there just a few months ago and he actually warned Venezuela, if you do this, you will face the repercussions from the United States and so and so not everything we see is just about drugs. Part of it is about the CCP's investments. They're part of it is about oil. Part of it is it definitely about drugs. But part of it too is that they're basically being deemed a criminal regime by the United States and anybody who defends them as also being labeled to stay in like Colombia.
Speaker 1: Now, so we have this access right China, Iran, Russia, U Venezuela is part of that, and that doesn't even get into what Russia is trying to do with China on another level from an economic standpoint, and it seems like it's those group of countries against the United States. All right, who's the brains in the operation? Is it China? Is China the center of this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, So what is what does Russia coming? Why would Russia, as John McCain once famously said, is one giant gasoline station. Why would why would why would Russia remotely be interested in a pool of oil in Ghana? Or is it all China that's really interested in it and as using Russia as its force.
Speaker 2: So that ties into a broader agenda. So Russia working with the Chinese Communist Party, working with these Middle Eastern powers, working with African powers, working with powers throughout Latin America. They have an alternate world order they're trying to push. So you know, we all hear about bricks, right, we hear about the Bricks Alliance. If you actually listen to their speeches, they're talking about something else. Russia is talking about it, the heads of Venezuela talking about African muders are.
Speaker 3: Talking about it.
Speaker 2: The CCP is the main model for it. They're talking about what's called the multipolar world order, and effectively, this is how they view it. They see that Chinese, they see that American sanctions. You know, if you abuse your citizens, if you start a war, if you invade another country, as you carry out a genocide, you get sanctioned by the United States. That is part of the packs Americana where the United States is enforcing our interpretation of government, which is that government is instituted among people to defend God given rights. Communist states hate that. Tyrants hate that, and they believe that if they're going to have power, if they're going to trade economically, if they're going to be you know, economic wheelhouses. They need to destroy that, they need to destroy the packs Americana. They need to destroy what they call the unipolar world order, meaning the American system as the world you know, kind of model of government, the unipolar world order.
Speaker 4: So what they're proposing is what's.
Speaker 2: Called the multipolar world order, which is many countries controlled different regions. America controls America, Canada controls Canada, probably Cuba and Venezuela in Brazil control Latin America, and Full of Powers control Africa like an African alliance. China controls basically all of East Asia. Russia controls the former Soviet Union, and then influences you know, western Western Europe knows, yeah, Western Europe through mostly energy trade, and that's what they want. They want America just to be a seat at the paved table, and they want to overthrow the American system of sanctions.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously that would be something that that this administration would not go for. I mean, there might have been past administrations that would have entertained that idea, so obviously that that's that's a non starter for the current folks in Washington, d C. But still, if you if you just look at where we are as a country, and you look at at what you just said, who are our allies? Because it ain't going to be the United States aided by Canada that's going to be going in to fight all for all this stuff if we if we want that. Now, if it's hockey, it might be a different story, But this is geopolitical warfare. So I mean, who's in this fight with us? And that does not seem to be a fight that's winnable when you factor in what China can do economically and what Russia could do with a madman in charge of that country. Well, where how do we play that game?
Speaker 2: Well, this is the bigger challenge we have is that we don't we don't have unified nation alliances. A lot of this is party based, so a lot of the left wing governments, the socialist governments of the Europe, socialist parties of Canada, you know, maybe not the conservatives, but the socialist sides, you know, they want that too. They want to say, you know, America does its tariffs, America does its uh, you know, it's trade policies. They want things kind of claimed by the status quo. They want global equity. Europe wants to be able to censor Americans. They want to be able to suppress what we say on the internet. They want to be able to tax American high tech industries because they say we have.
Speaker 3: A monopoly on it.
Speaker 2: They view America as, you know, kind of a powerful city, and they want equity. They want us to share the wealth, which turns out we've been doing and a lot of Americans weren't even where we were doing it. You know, we subsidize their healthcare system, we pay for the military, we do everything for them. That's global equity, and that's what they want in terms of the global agreements, I mean, the unports or the multipolar world order. It's the same thing being said at the World Economic Forum meetings. It's the same thing being said when a lot of these leaders go and speak at the United Nations. A lot of them are pushing for it. And you know, China's even trying to do it too, even through the creation of alternate economic systems. They were proposing a bricks currency to overthrow the US dollar.
Speaker 3: It is true.
Speaker 2: Trump has been hitting back on them pretty hard against this. Trump so that if anybody tries to overthrow the US dollar, you're going to get one hundred percent sanctioned or sorry terriffs. And so you know it's a battle right now, but it's only going to take one leader to stop fighting that battle for the other side to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And you know it's funny listening to that politics and geopolitics. The enemy could be from within. I mean, there are a lot of people in this country that are running for office or would like to entertain a notion of running for office, that are socialists in their behavior and believe that equity is the way to go in the United States. So there's a battle that's being fought outside of the borders of the United States, and then there could be one politically being fought inside the borders of the United States. And who knows what kind of influenced Russia. I'm sorry, China may have. I just had a guy on yesterday who is plugged into what's going on with a lot of these Antifa riots and said he had he had complete evidence that what's going on in Portland is being funded by the Chinese and the Chinese Communist government and that they're supplying them with whatever weaponry. An organization that's being used by the people that are on the streets in Portland right now. My point in all of it, being Joshua, is that there may be elements inside this country that are being in influenced by this access that may also be a problem for the United States when dealing with the outside forces. I don't know if your investigation is taking you anywhere there, but it certainly is a notion that I've had for a while that the enemy from within may be worse than the enemy from without any thoughts on that, it is true.
Speaker 2: It is one hundred percent true. So I've been working on some stuff around this. So some of this goes back to the Cold War. Some of it goes back to organizations that were started as really like Soviet Front organizations under the Common Tern. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, a lot of those systems switched their allegiance to the Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 4: So the CCP.
Speaker 2: Became kind of the replacement of what Russia was, replacement of the Communist International. Right, they just don't call it that. Instead of calling it the Communist International or the Common Tern, they call it the China model. They call it Chinese engagement, they call it Chinese investment.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a few examples.
Speaker 2: We're aware now that this Neville Singh, this Indian guy billionaire working out of China in Shanghai, is one of the big funders behind a lot of the far left of the United States. People are talking about him. That's one of the big stories, but you have a lot of other ones. The TIDES Foundation tied in with some of that money, sorows money, other things. TIDES Foundation also has a lot of influence over Wikipedia. TIDES Foundation has investments with Google. Tides Foundation has involvement in a lot of the protests. Some of the money for Antifa allegedly is running through TIDES and that's kind of the way that street goes. You know, BLLL Black Lives Matter. Their donation page used to go to the Chinese Progressive Association, a Chinese front organization, one of the bigger factions in the United States running a lot of these operations, you know, Democratic socialis America. Of course, they have some ties to China, if you including some of the delegations actually just recently doing engagements with China. You can talk about the Rainbow Coalition, I nowist trained, i e. China trained organization that just puppeteers. Tons of these movements and backs, a lot of politicians engage in it. You know, the list goes on. You have a you know, Freedom Road Socialists. A lot of these organizations have deep ties to the Chinese Communist Party, and a lot of these organizations are heavily involved in the Chaos and American streets, on the agitation operations, within media. Even some government officials part of these networks. And so it is, it is concerning, it is inside the country as well well.
Speaker 1: I enjoy you on Crossroads and obviously your work with the Epic Times, and this is this is a must see deep dive into what's really going on with regards to China and Venezuela and then of course with the other players in this Iran in Russia. Joshua, every time I have you on, I feel I'm more informed and I feel smarter. I don't know if I am smarter, but I feel smarter and that's a good feeling to have. And until we talk again, you stay well, okay.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thank you you.
Speaker 1: Bet Epic Times, Joshua, Philip. China is a very very very big problem inside our country right now. Not to say the least of what's going on with their involvement with Venezuela. It is twelve twenty six. I am the average American. This is seven hundred WLW com Porty, welcome back. It's the average American in for the great American on this Thursday. Still to come on the show on nailing that big job interview, Nailing the big job interview. Who doesn't want to do that? We'll get into that in a little bit, among other things. The big story of the day, of course, is the NBA betting scandal, yet another one. There have been several in the history of the NBA, and just a couple of years ago there was a big betting scandal involving a Toronto Raptors player, Johntay Porter, And of course there was the betting scandal that involved an NBA referee about ten fifteen years ago. And now today the FBI in a wide ranging arrest roundup, complete with two indictments. They have arrested thirty four people, two of whom are current NBA personalities. Let's just put it that way, because Chauncey Billups is the head coach of Portland. At least it was until last night. My guess is he's not going to be the head coach of Portland anymore. And the other guy of note was Miami heat guard Terry Rogier, along with former Cleveland Cavalier player and assistant coach Damon Jones. They're all involved in one way or another with gambling schemes. Billips, again, the coach of the Portland Trailblazers, was arrested in Portland. He is charged with a separate indictment away from NBA Gambling for allegedly being involved in a wide ranging scheme to rig underground poker games back by four of the five mafia families in the United States. And there was everything that was going on with this particular scheme. There were automatic card shufflers that were not, let's say up to snuff that they were shuffling cards that were using these card games that would benefit the house. There was even an X ray table where from beneath the table, you know how you lay your cards down, if you're on a you're playing you're playing cards, where there was an X ray machine that could look up and see what the cards were on each particular hand. And not just a couple of hands here a couple of hands there, but every single hand, and there were people that were being built out of tens of thousands of dollars per hand. So that was Billips. Rosier was arrested this morning in a hotel at Orlando, Florida. He's accused of participating in an illegal sports betting scheme using private insider NBA information. They lost their season opener to the Magic last night. Rosier did not play due to a coach's decision. Sure they knew this was coming, and it makes you wonder why because both of these players, well the coach and the player. But let's talk about Rosier. He's made one hundred and thirty five million dollars in his NBA career ten year NBA careers, made one hundred and thirty five million dollars. How much could you possibly make by providing inside information? He's making twenty five million dollars or was supposed to playing this year for the Miami Heat and Phillips who had seventeen years as an NBA player, five time All Star, one hundred and seven million dollars total, as they said he was the head coach of the Portland Trailblazers. How much you're gonna make on a card game. And it raises the question that if you're into gambling, if you're one of those people that go on the app and you're doing prop bets and all that, is this safe haven to bet anymore? I mean, would you go on and bet on an NBA game now knowing that this stuff is going on? And I don't gamble on NBA games. I don't watch NBA game. Most people don't watch the NBA. I mean, I hate to dissillusion sports talk hosts all around this country, but the average regular season NBA game had an audience of one point five million people last year, those for games on ABC, ESPN, TNT, and that was down from the previous year million and a half people watching a national NBA game. There are three hundred and forty million people in this country. Million and a half were watching gambling. Probably is what's keeping the NBA afloat. Haven't heard from the Commissioner, Adam Silver on this yet today, but I want to turn to a guy that I have on my show on Sundays with regards to the NFL, and Lee Sterling is someone who knows, you know, how bets are made, and for him to survive and for his business to flourish. He has to know that the NBA is on the up and up, because if it's not, nobody's going to bet on the NBA. Let alone watch it. Lee Sterling, how are you on this Thursday? Do we have Lee? I think he's online? One? Do we have Lee? Okay?
Speaker 4: Good? Lee?
Speaker 1: How Aary?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: I think what we're probably going to seek and is we're going to see maybe limits cut down and they can always track you.
Speaker 3: I mean the big eye don't lie.
Speaker 5: Just like any crime, you know, murder, any how do they catch you your phone? You know, they track you wherever you are, whatever bet you're making. As far as as wagering, here is concerned.
Speaker 4: And you know they catch people. It's it's it's.
Speaker 5: Everything is electronic now, so you know they there. There's always a trail and usually there's someone even if someone's maybe making a wager for something for someone else, you know, if they're face the jail time, they're going to usually end up talking.
Speaker 3: To the FED.
Speaker 5: So the Fed, I think it's like a ninety eight and a half ninety nine percent conviction rate. It's that way for a reason. The deck is stacked against you. So and if you are guilty, uh, it's not. You know a number of people that are just going to stand there and say, okay, I'll go to trial. Someone's going to end up talking and they want the best possible deal.
Speaker 4: And then you know, if.
Speaker 5: You're left, if you're the one that's left standing, you're in trouble.
Speaker 4: So it's just shocking to me. You know, I can.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying it could, I agree with it, not saying I totally understand. But a player, let's say, you know who is just a fringe player and he gives someone a tip, Okay, nothing, It's obviously not right, but I can see it happening, you know, the greed part of it. But someone like Chunty Billups, someone who made multi multi.
Speaker 4: Means is a head coach making a huge.
Speaker 5: Salary, and then Terry Rose here making almost twenty five million dollars per year, four year contract, almost one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 4: The fact that they would do.
Speaker 5: This is just it it's almost it's almost unfathomable.
Speaker 1: You know, it goes. Basketball to me has always been the most susceptible to this kind of I mean, the year before I was born, they had the big college basketball point shaving scandal involved several New York City teams. And then you know, you page ahead and you get to that inside that that referee what was named Tim Garritty fifteen twenty years ago, who was providing inside information to gamblers. And here you have Rogier and Billups. I mean, you know, Rogier plays right down where you are. He plays for the Miami Heat. And you're right, both of these guys have made an excess of one hundred million dollars in their careers. So it must be the thrill of it, right, it must be. Hey, I'm living on the edge a little bit, you know, I'm going to do this to amuse myself. Then it always goes back to what I say, for a professional athlete, it's not the time you're on the court, it's not the time you're in practice. It's what you're doing the other twenty one hours of the day. And obviously these guys said some things going on, but I don't I think this is the tip of it. And I really think that they're probably going to be as this. As this goes on, they're going to find more guys doing this. I just firmly believe that basketball is the most susceptible of all of these sports.
Speaker 5: What do you think it is because there's only five players on the court at one time. Football, if you get the one player or baseball one player and baseball is nine players. And obviously, you know, throwing the baseball in the margin when you hit a baseball between a home run and a foul ball is just so minute. Football there's twenty two players on the field at one time, so one player, unless you've got the quarterback, probably not much of an edge. So that's why it's much easier. You know, if they just followed my game, it'saw me playing, they would think that I'm throwing it all the time. So it's just it's a total stupidity on Terry Rosier's part. And Chauncey Billups. I think maybe if I'm just making a guess, Terry Rosier probably in his downtime does some things. Maybe he's not going to be able to play tonight. If he does, he doesn't see himself playing more than five or ten minutes in the game. And some people took advantage of it, I mean for him to gain they only played I think something like thirteen thousand dollars versus wagers. What are they going to give him three five thousand dollars to split it? That's not going to make any difference. The case of Chalky Billups, where he was maybe involved with a Gambino family.
Speaker 4: No, why, that's out.
Speaker 1: Straight out of the Sopranos. That's straight out of the Sopranos. I think this is and I don't know where it's going only, but I think this is maybe going to be an indictment of Adam Silver. Adam Silver, it seems he was the first of the four commissioners to embrace legalized gambling, and now he's had he's and that was knowing the history he had with that referee Garrity, and now this. If I'm an NBA owner, I'm looking at this dude saying, wait a minute, this is just sullied our entire league and you didn't know what was going on. I think he may be in a little hot water with his owners.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tim, donah, He's a totally different situation with an official.
Speaker 4: But like I said, just shows.
Speaker 5: You the different level players have a player involved. Here, you have someone Chauntsey Billups involved with maybe rigging some machines in another form of gambling. He obviously coached basketball, but it doesn't seem like he was involved in fixing basketball games. Tim Donnie was a basketball official. It looks like you got in debt and the only way he could really get out was he thought, was to supply information.
Speaker 1: It's a mess, le Hey, look doesn't affect what you and I are going to do on Sunday down at the Holy Grail. But for your time today on this breaking news, we appreciate it. Thank you, my friend, thanks so much. A man, thank there. Yeah, yeah, I don't mean Adam Silver is going to get indicted. I just mean from his credibility and the leader of a leg and now here we are again dealing with yet another issue inside the leg. I know he wasn't the commissioner when Donna he was the but that was David Stern. But it is it's an indictment of his leadership that this was going on and he didn't know. I mean, it's I'm if I'm an owner in the NBA right now, I'm saying, dude, what what are we doing here? I mean, you have these two guys today and you had John tay Porter before. Now the real problem is going to be because this is how the FEDS work is if they get Billups and Rougier in there today or tomorrow whenever, and they and they flip and they start naming other names. You may hear other names come out of this, but this was thirty five people. Thirty four people. Phillips was involved in a card game that involved one of the four of the five major mafia families. Good lord, and you had Billups, who you know, was providing gambling information to illegal gamblers, and I'm you know, I'm sorry. I mean, the NBA outside of League Cities is an acquired taste nationally. The audience for these games is not great. I think gambling kind of drives interest in the NBA unless you're a season ticket holder and going to the games. So they're in a tough spot and we've yet to hear from the commissioner on this. He apparently popped up, I want to make sure I get the show right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was on the Pat McAfee show tuesday and he said the league has been working with its sportsbook partners to combat attempts at manipulation, so he probably knew that this was coming down, but so far, no reaction in the wake of this sweeping FBI pickup. Today, of thirty four people, it is twelve fifty three. It is the average American in for the Great American News Radio seven hundred WYLW. So it's inflation any better today than what it was a year ago. A year ago we were gearing up for the election Donald Trump against Kamala Harris, and inflation was a big deal. Now we got tariffs to worry about. And you know, when you start talking about tariffs, people's eyes were on the back of their head. Oh my gosh, it's money. It's fun, but no, you feel it when you go to buy goods, when you go to go buy services. I mean, price of coffee is through the roof, and a lot of it is about to get worse if indeed these tariffs go through what the President is suggesting for China on November first. Already we've seen a choke back on things that he's sending to China, like jet engines and some tech stuff. But coming back the other way, it may make things a little tight come the holiday season. So what does it really mean when you hear tariffs? What does it mean to you and me and everybody else walking around the street in Cincinnati, and not just something you'd find on CNBC or Fox, pisness or whatever. We'll get into that and then down the road if you've got a job interview coming up, or you think you may how to nail it, I mean really nail it and get the gig. All of that and much more, Yes, sir, between or man between now and three o'clock, seven hundred WDLW hey hey one ten News radios two one hundred WLW the average American for the great American on this Thursday. Great to have you with us. I don't say that capriciously, for without you, what would I be? I would be simply one man sitting in a room by himself, babbling incoherently. And why would I have to leave home to do that? So the the NBA reeling today thirty four indictments, some involving an illegal card game scheme that was run by four of the five major mafia families that caught Chauncey Bill, the Portland coach. So he was arrested today in Portland. And then there was a I suppose inside information that was being translated to or transported to in some way to organize gamblers by allegedly by Terry Rogier, who plays for the Miami Heat, and he was arrested again today. I mean, this was so big that it went down in New York and they got cash Pattel out of Washington, d C. And all the stuff that he's dealing with right now to come up and lend his two cents to it.
Speaker 6: As you now know, individuals such as Chauncey Billups, Damon Jones, and Terry Rozier were taken into custody today former current NBA players and coaches. What you don't know is that this is an illegal gambling operation and sports rigging operation that spanned the course of years. The FBI led a coordinative takedown US eleven states to arrest over thirty individuals today responsible for this case, which is very much ongoing.
Speaker 1: I think, and this is just me. I think they're going to get Billips and Rogier to flip. I think you're going to hear other people's names coming under this thing tip of the ice. But that's that's how it works, right, You get, you get the people in. You know that you got, and believe me, the FBI ninety seven ninety six percent of the time. They got you. Once. Once you're arrested and you're part of an indictment, they got you. But maybe they'll go easy on you for whatever prison sentence you're going to do. If you flip and you name somebody else, I would stand by for that. So Donald Trump is he's in this urinating contest with the communist Chinese, with the Xijingping, and tariffs are what is at stake here because the President believes, I think rightfully so, that the Chinese government has been ripping off the United States for decades, and so he wants a better deal and a fairer deal, and so he is imposing tariffs on Chinese imports fifty seven percent, so China restricted exports of rare earth minerals that are key to electronics, among other things. And now the President has threatened to raise tariffs to one hundred and fifty seven percent if no trade deal is reached by November first, next week. So this sounds like it's all a bunch of you know, high stakes chest beating. I'm gonna get you, You're gonna get me. But what does it mean to you and me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: What does it mean to you and me walking around the street, just trying to make a goal that trying to buy things at the grocery store, fill or tanks up with gas, make sure the kids have clothes, make sure the mortgage gets paid. What do these tariffs mean to us?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: How is this going to affect our lives? Standing via somebody that probably knows better than the most Dominic, Mezzarindino has been at the forefront of not just social media, but interaction, business to business and how things that occur at the national and international level affect you and me in real life. He has been on my show many times before. He has been the CEO of many companies, and he now runs a business to business company we'll tell you about here in just a little bit. But I wanted to get him on today because I think this is something you're going to be hearing a lot about between now and this deadline on November the first, and Dominic, how are you on this glorious Thursday doing well?
Speaker 4: How are you doing?
Speaker 3: My friend?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: I haven't been affected yet by the tariffs, and in any way, shape or form, I think, like most things in life, I eventually will be. But let's just talk about you know, you, me and everybody else that is just walking around on the street. If indeed the November deadline comes and goes, and that's just about a week away and these tariffs are placed in effect, what does that mean for the consumer? What does that mean for us, just the regular folk?
Speaker 7: You know, I think you said something pretty critical when you said not necessarily affecting. I think in a way it's being affected, but almost like that a slow Chinese torture trip.
Speaker 3: In terms of the water.
Speaker 7: You know, our prices are not necessarily going down.
Speaker 3: Coffee is higher than it was.
Speaker 7: We don't make coffee in this country, so it is directly taroff affected as one example, and I think it's that tangents that affects you. Another example is Kentucky bourbon. They were shipping to Canada. Canada don't like Kentucky bourbon. That's bad. So now you're getting that tangential effect when the market says.
Speaker 4: I have friends out of work.
Speaker 7: So I think we are seeing it, but almost like that slow and on the side effect, And it's going to probably get louder the more we have situations such as you know, the beef coming up situation.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Trump wants to go outside the country and bring in beef from Australia or someplace. And of course the beef industry, particularly those states in the United States out west, you know, the cattle country, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, wherever it may be. Not only are the people out there not happy about that prospect, but also a lot of the GOP senators are. But I think what he's trying to do is threat a needle here dominic. Look when he came into office, inflation was crazy. It went up during the Bide administration. It was infinitely more expensive to live then than it is now. So I think Trump had had a decision to make. Am I going to raise taxes, which no Republican wants to do? Or am I going to play the tariff game. He's elected to play the tariff game. I didn't see any other game he could play if he wanted to get prices down.
Speaker 7: To you, I think it's a tough you know, I'm trying to think of the best way of.
Speaker 3: Hitting it. Parents are not down, sorry, is not down.
Speaker 7: It's steady, which is still higher than history. If you look at I'm looking at BLS dot Gov but I think the challenge on the tariffs becomes when you're tariffing things such as coffee. Well, the purpose of the tariff tax the local tax consumer. It goes to the federal budget and gets the consumer to buy more American goods.
Speaker 3: But I'm pointing to coffee because you.
Speaker 4: Can't do it.
Speaker 3: There is no American coffee. It don't exist. Or seasonal items.
Speaker 7: I mean, god forbid, we have a situation where corn has a blight. Has it happened in history? Yeah, the diversity of products is the protection. So it's a card to be played, but I'm not sure and don't feel high confidence. It's the card I want to play at times when I just want my morning coffee without drama.
Speaker 1: Well, Trump has got fifty terrifying Chinese imports. There's some people that are saying I could go as is two hundred percent. The President is saying this week he's going to have a fantastic deal done with China by this November first deadline. I mean, we've heard the president issue deadlines and then deadlines come and go and nothing happens. I mean, it's just it's just the way of his world. But the fact of the matter is if you know that this is a problem, and I know that this is a problem, one would have to think that the people that are inside the Beltway in Washington, particularly those inside the White House, have to know it's a problem. So how does he get out of this without really damaging our own economic base, our GDP? How does he get out of it and not look weak to the Chinese that.
Speaker 7: Is trying to hit it because I think you know, first of all, when we're talking to tariffs, we're discussing a machine with thousands of gears.
Speaker 3: So one other example with the China Chinese tariffs.
Speaker 7: Ends of mine in Canada who are happily ordering that eight hundred dollars limit and they're ordering products right at their house. They're laughing saying I can't you guys can't order, but we can, you know. And I think you have social media, high communication, people seeing you know, your friends online ordering this and this, and you know, look what's happening. Is a great example when you mentioned the beef, I think it relates to China. When that person is hit. You have people who are voting for Trump, nice Ranch in Montana, they're hit, Well, they're not going to be happy anymore people with China, with trade Paris and China who are used to ordering that two dollars phone case. Yeah, yeah, you know that's a concern.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And and and it doesn't even get into the other aspects of dealing with Choanaman. They're they're not just a competitor on the international trade market there, they're also a military power and they It's been no secret that a lot of people, a lot of Chinese nationals entered this country over the course of the last four years. So there's that sub sub almost like that subdivision working over and above what may be going on economically. When you're dealing with China. It's never one level, is it.
Speaker 7: When you're dealing with any of this, it's never one level. It's you know, you're discussing a great example, the fentanyl and the tariffs that started this, all right, you know, and we're tiraffing this country due defensean al But the me tirafhing is to this and it's really the question figuring out that net some gain. Part of what I look at every day is all right, so we're adding a tiiff to Canada as an example to reduce that twenty four pounds defence.
Speaker 3: All that came through.
Speaker 7: But in the process, how many people in the bourbon industry have lost jobs? Could we have used that money for five extra border guards at that point?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: And I'm not saying right nor wrong, des I'm saying I can't calculate that. God bless the guy who thinks they can. Yeah, do you know what happens now? If the Montana guys start going out of business?
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm concerned.
Speaker 7: What happened Argentina starts importing the beef and then our beef industry gets a little bit of a hit because it isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I'm saying one.
Speaker 7: Hits the other and it becomes a cascating effect.
Speaker 3: But I think for years it is necessarily a good one.
Speaker 1: But I think for years, Dominic we you know, these these companies have have Trump says, ripped off. I'll use the term. These these countries have benefited from a very unfair trade advantage with the United States. We paid more for their goods than they would pay for ours, if indeed they would they would ever, would they even allow those goods into our country? Look at the look at the automobile industry, my gosh, for forty years, Japanese imports where skyrocking sales of Toyotas and Nissans and whatnot. But on the other side, the Japanese weren't all that interested in buying our cars in the United States, if indeed it was even allowed by their government. So I mean, I think he's got a point that there's got to be some sort of balance, and I think he's using the specter of inflation and curbing inflation and money back to the American public with all of these tariffs that he's announcing.
Speaker 7: You, I think you're spot on, because you know, when.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the Japanese autos is a great example.
Speaker 7: No matter how much you tear Japan, I will bet you they will not buy more cars.
Speaker 4: No matter what you do.
Speaker 7: Not big, cause we're producing bad cars nor good They don't fit on the road. Tokyo. The cars ended the size of a hummer. We produce big cars for a population that don't want big cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think buying large. I think buy and large. And this is not to cast an over arching umbrella, but I think in the United States we revere the automobile more than most countries out out there. Most countries look at the automobile is just to get from point A to point B. We as a society look at it as some sort of luxury point.
Speaker 7: I agree. I also will add to the mix. I think when you're using all these factors, all these examples, one of the things that strikes me is just how intertwined you're great hit spot on we're never gonna tell more cars to Japan, but also we loved the automobile. Is it bad that we're getting in Japanese cars or is it good because it's making our manufacturers say we better make a chief of car. They're just doing a great job and it lights a fire. So I you know, I am much more personally the advocate that free trade is great.
Speaker 3: But I think my overall theme is you're talking about complex issues breaking them down into simple in terms of you know, this is crazy with Argentina, this is crazy with this, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: With that, and all the memes.
Speaker 3: We're in a mean world.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I don't think you can calculate the net result.
Speaker 3: Of all these moving pieces.
Speaker 7: Yeah on reaction, Yeah, it's not going to necessarily get us where we want to be.
Speaker 1: Right now, Well, well, the big thing is we'll see we're chatted with Dominic Dominic Meserindino x, CEO of retail wire dot com, current CEO of rtmnexus dot com. And I mean, this guy has been ahead of the curve on everything with regard to social media internet media for over thirty years. Okay, So my gut tells me that November one is going to come and go and nothing really is going to change. It just seems to be the trend here. My also, my other gut tells me that this is the big one. You know, he gets it done with China, and you know all the other little gnats that he's done businesses with kind of like fly off the map, you know, the smaller countries. I think China and to a lesser extent but still significant, India are probably the two big ones he's got left with these tariffs. And then that's it. What do you sense happens on November one, if anything, and what do you sense will happen when and have he and she sit down for a face to face meeting on all of this.
Speaker 7: My current current concern is that I think we're playing a little bit uh.
Speaker 3: Game of chicken.
Speaker 7: We're playing a game of Chicken with a beast, because right now, for one example, as a predictor, Canada saw these turfs and county went, okay, I'll try to go with other countries, thank you very much. China is sort of doing that now. They are having major investments, for example in Africa. We're not touching it as pronounced as they are, and you're seeing those infrastructure moves. So I worry that you don't play chicken between two mac trucks. Someone's going to get hurt. Maybe there's a way of navigating that I am not prepared enough to say, and that's I will take.
Speaker 4: That right away them.
Speaker 7: Maybe this way I don't see it, and that's okay, But I am concerned. November second, all these pieces playing, we're not going to see right now that maybe China starts heavily trading with this in this partner and they just look at us like, what's happening now?
Speaker 3: You're reading about soybean is a great example. Soybeans farmers are saying, we're not selling soybeans to China as much anymore.
Speaker 7: They don't they're buying nail and they're just happily saying, no worries, I got this and our poor farmers are throwing the crop on the ground.
Speaker 3: Well, not necessarily a great move now, No, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Dominic, good stuff as always.
Speaker 3: My friend, thank you so much for calling me.
Speaker 1: You stay well and you know we will call again.
Speaker 3: Thanks amazing, we'll talk too, and hopefully love the wording.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the word amazing, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: The rare earth restrictions China, I mean, this is this is just retaliatory. You know what's going to happen. We just talked about it. They're going to get together. There's going to be something they're gonna punt whatever was going to happen November. First down the road. My guess is that Trump and and She meet face to face and they come away with something of framework and everything settles down. But yeah, I mean, it's a giant, urinating contest between these two countries, and I'm not sure who's winning right now. If you put that in juxtaposition to what we talked about at noon, in that twelve to twelve thirty hour about China. Now with Russia and with Iran and Venezuela, it may be that there's more at stake than just a one on one between China and the United States. Well, what does that mean to you and me? It sounds like we're going to be paying more for stuff that never changes, does It doesn't matter who's in office, we always seem to pay more for stuff one twenty seven The average American in for the great American. I hope it's a good Thursday for you. It is for me because I get to spended with you on seven hundred w wel w.
Speaker 3: There he is. I mean old Faithful.
Speaker 1: We called him old Faithful, not old Yellow. Shooting it off at shooting it off, that's right.
Speaker 3: Oh, hello, hello, bye, I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: Seg I'm sitting here. Where are you? You're supposed to be in here with me?
Speaker 4: Can brew? I am sitting in the antido where I'm feeling like Jim Nance today.
Speaker 1: Okay, you sound like you're coming in from Mars, but you're at a golf tournament.
Speaker 4: Well it's the seven hundred WLW. iHeartMedia. Bengals sponsors at golf outing today.
Speaker 1: Yet another thing I wasn't invited to.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I guess you got to be a Bengal sponsor.
Speaker 1: Well, I sponsored angles my voice you with the voice of the Bengals at one time, moving life to left to right across your radio dial.
Speaker 4: There you go right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what golf course are you at? I'm sorry because it kind of muffled there. What are you at? Work out? What call course?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played that. That's a good course.
Speaker 4: There is beautiful today, a little windy, little chilly, but everybody's having a good time, all.
Speaker 1: Right, seg Well, Uh, since you're here, Uh, could you bring us up to data on what is transpiring in the world of sports besides NBA players getting indicted?
Speaker 4: Yes, ken Brew. The Stooge Report is a proud service of your local Temestar Eating and air conditioning dealers Tamestar. Well if you could feel a beautiful Western hills right around here called Derbot Heating and Cooling at five one three forty nine, or go to Dervit Heating and Cooling dot com spot. I think need to get the heat on. It's getting cold. Let's see ken Brew. The Bengals Not Day brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town with thirteen convenian locations in northern Kentucky. Bengals and Jets of course on Sunday, preview it all tonight on the Cincinnati Tacked Resolution powered by Toe Brown Table Show presented to Long that'll be live from Long Necks and rich Wood at six oh five here on seven hundred WLW. How about this Ken Brew Former Bengals quarterback Ken Anderson, along with Isaac Curtis and Leifamamar Parrish, are now a step closer to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. All three, all three have, all three have are one of thirty four players now in the Hall of Fame Blue Ribbon Committee that are still in the running for enshrinement.
Speaker 1: In the Canton Well well, he Ken Anderson should be in the Hall of Fame. There shouldn't be a Hall of Fame with that ka being in it and of the story that is correct.
Speaker 4: Of course, the big story and the big story in sports today is the scandal involving the National Basketball Association where Portland Trail Plazers coach Chauncey Phillips Miami Heat guard Terry Rosier were arrested this morning as part of an investigation and related to illegal gambling. Also was arrested today former Cleveland Cavaliers player and assistant coach Damon Jones. And that is what what what they're accused of doing. I don't think they're going to be seeing a basketball court anytime soon with jail cell around it.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna get some guys. They're gonna flip and they're going to give some other names. That's what I think is gonna happen. They're gonna flip me, get.
Speaker 3: Some other names.
Speaker 4: I think you're right about that. And then let's see soccer news. Evander from Cincinnati one of three players up for the MLS MVP Award. Nick Haglan is up for Comeback Player of the Year. But this is an outrage. Ken Brew Pat Noonan not up for Coach of the Year. Maybe three of a. Philadelphia, Vancouver and San Diego their coaches are up for the prestigious honor, but not Pat Noonan. That to me as an outrage.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't know. I mean, I could see where he wouldn't be. I'm not sure he would win it if he was up for it. I mean, there's just other teams that just did better this year, not the least of which are you know the team that won the Supporter Shield Philadelphia did better. Yep, yeah, and you saw that MESSI signed a contract extension today, right, Messi signed a contract extension with Inner Miami till through twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, three year deal for Lionel Messi. So they keep one of soccer's biggest names right here in the good old usf A for the four seal future seg.
Speaker 1: Do you know what happened fifty years ago tonight?
Speaker 4: I think it was the Reds winning the World Series? Was it in Boston? Now?
Speaker 1: Fifty years ago tonight? Listen up fifty years ago tonight.
Speaker 7: Lines in the overtime.
Speaker 8: McDonald McDonald throws it back on the point.
Speaker 4: Ben couldn't keep that in nik Fenn for Jack.
Speaker 5: That comes back to the doky over skidded Ryan McDonald now.
Speaker 1: In finn fifty years ago tonight, SEG. The Cincinnati Stingers played their first ever home game at Riverfront Coliseum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about that, can Brew? How could I miss that? And they did? They played the Indianapolis Racers.
Speaker 1: They played played Edmonton. They played the Oilers. A little Andy Mack there, a little Andy Mack played by play.
Speaker 4: There I new Andy Max sounded great. He was always a great hockey amount there and been.
Speaker 1: Back fifty years ago tonight after playing four straight on the road. They came home to play the Edmonton Oilers, and do you know seg who voice was inside Riverfront Coliseum.
Speaker 4: I think that's the musical genius of seven hundred WLW. That would be Kenneth brew Day.
Speaker 1: So this is what I this is, This is the story from fifty years ago Tonight'd say. Of course they come on the ice and I opened the microphone. I say, here come the stars, and they lead them out. I think it was no man. Lapointe was the goaltender. He leads him out, leads him out, and there's circling around the ice. Well, the PR guy for the Stingers gave me a list of fifty groups I was supposed to welcome that night, fifty groups, and I was told I was told, don't start introducing these groups until the players hit the ice for the warm up. So I'm going and we want to welcome, you know, the Old Timers Club from Westchester, and of course we also want to welcome the Women's Day Center from you know, from Erlanger. And I'm going through. I get about twenty twenty twenty of the fifty end and the referee guy named Bill Friday comes skating up to him leans down me and he says to me, hey, hey, this ain't Toledo, Ohio. Shut up. We're getting ready to play.
Speaker 4: Wow. And that's it.
Speaker 1: So they dropped the puck and uh and they're calling down from like the press pot. Why is just saying the rest of the names. I said, because the referee just told me to shut up. It ain't Toledo, Ohio.
Speaker 4: I swear to god he was a lucidary referee, Bill Friday can Brew and you know, I mean, what was he gonna do? So he had a penalty box or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I could have gotten a delayed game penalty for the franchise. But it was fifty years ago tonight, the first home game of the now late and momented Cincinnati Stingers, the likes of Dale Smidsmo and Ron Plumb, Bernie Chuck Sab Chuck claub Larrose, Jacques lo cop Here, Geeta.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he was on that team.
Speaker 4: I know number seven, he was number seven, well not not yeah, he came later, but numbers later on. I think he was. I think he started his career with the Nordeas.
Speaker 1: Seven years fifty years ago tonight, number seven was Brian Soupy Campbell. Oh boy, I'm looking at the media guide right here. I kept the media guide that that they had there, and they had they had Frank Beaton as one of their up and coming stars. And the picture of him that they have, he's got a black eye.
Speaker 4: It's buffy there you go, you know, I mean, that's yea. I should have known that, ken Brew.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love the Stingers.
Speaker 1: Boy, they were great fifty years ago.
Speaker 6: Tonight in the overtime, Ducie McDonald McDonald's throws it back on the point, couldn't keep that ink fent?
Speaker 4: What jack?
Speaker 5: It comes back to the st.
Speaker 4: Checked away by Afro.
Speaker 1: That's what was broadcast on seven hundred wyl W. How about that?
Speaker 4: And I remember I remember going down there a few times to ken Brew when they were in business that teams would actually change cities, uh like after at the institute and they would still they would still wear their old jerseys, but the team moved to another to another city.
Speaker 1: Right, the Denver Spurs became the Ottawa Civics. At like three o'clock in the afternoon and they're still skating around with the Denver Spurs. Y'all was unbelievable stuff. Well I want you. I'll talk to you in a little bit here from wherever you're at. But tell everybody out there we said.
Speaker 4: Hey, you got it, ken Brew and uh. In honor of a beautiful day here in the Tri State, we leave you with the immortal words of the.
Speaker 7: Stude behind the Campbell Campbell reaching for the a far quarter.
Speaker 4: The stores.
Speaker 1: Andy Mack did it by himself. No color commentator did it by himself. All right, seg we'll talk to you in an hour. It's one fifty one News Radio, seven hundred w l W Show eight on this Thursday, and good afternoon. It's the average American in for the great American. Glad you are with us. We're here right till three o'clock today, and then I believe Rocky is back. You'll join Eddie and all things will be normal on seven hundred WLW. There is there is data that is out there. In fact, there was a report that came out maybe two three weeks ago Fletch Jobs twenty twenty five State of the Workforce Report, and it basically said that half of us forty eight percent, we'll be looking for a new job in twenty twenty six and that seventy six percent of us who will be looking for a new job. Seventy six percent of us will be looking for a new job because they simply don't want to work in a business environment five days a week. Prefer to work in some way, shape or form at home. And as we know, many companies are saying, eh, you know, we got this mortgage on this building and we want to use it, and so you need to come here and work for us here, not necessarily at home. And with some folks it's not going over very well. The bottom line is a lot of people are going to be looking for a new job, and it's tough out there. There are a lot of jobs that are listed that simply aren't open. Companies list them for various reasons, maybe for EOE or maybe just to say, hey, we have this opening, and then they'll graze to see what candidates are out there when and if they have to hire somebody, not if they want to hire somebody. So there are a lot of candidates for jobs that are actually open. So invariably you're going to do an interview if you apply for a new job. First interview might be a telephone interview or a zoom interview, and if you're lucky, maybe you'll get face to FaceTime inside the business itself. And then you're on the spot, because now you've got to sell yourself and you've got to tell perspective employers exactly what you can do, and it better be concise and clear and to the point.
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe, if you're smart, you turn to somebody that knows all about these things. Let's do that. Let's turn to career coach Laura Brown, who's co authored a new book, Interview Speak What your Interviewer Really wants to Know, and she's also besides that new book, you can find her at Careercoffee break dot com. I love that career coffee bok. Anyway, Laura Brown, Welcome to seven hundred WYLW. How are you on this glorious Thursday.
Speaker 9: I am great. Thank you so much for having me today.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're here because you know, I've gone through the interview process a lot in my life. Not so much anymore, you know, I'm kind of like at the end of the rope here. But the fact of the matter is that during my time I was on the spot and I would get called in after an audition tape was seting people like what I saw, what they saw, or in case of radio, what they heard. And it's not not an unpleasant experience, but it's an experience. You better be prepared for. Nothing worse than going into an interview without being prepared for what you want to say and what the interview er may want to ask you there. I can't imagine a worse feeling in the world than being unprepared for that. Why do so many people go into job interviews unprepared?
Speaker 4: You know, it's so.
Speaker 9: Funny that you said, because I totally agree with you. I need to be prepared, but I have plenty of people tell me, no, I want to be authentic. I'm just going to wing it. I'm going to show up as I am.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 9: I do think you should be authentic, but I think you should be authentically prepared, because if you're not prepared for common questions, what's going to happen is they're going to ask you something and you're going to choke and you're going to later on think to yourself, Man, I wish I had said that, or I wish I hadn't said that. So that's why it's so important to be prepared and be ready and show up as your best self.
Speaker 1: I don't think many interviewers, whether it be HR or the actual manager you're going to be working for. I don't think it takes much for someone like that to see somebody who's winging it or unprepared sitting in front of them. You've done one, two, three, four, or five interviews, you pretty much pick up on the fact that, wait a minute, this person is here and I don't even know why I asked them here in the first place, right.
Speaker 9: You know, And you bring up a really good point because absolutely interviewers pick up on it right away, and the message they get is not, oh, this person is trying to be authentic. The message they get is this person isn't interested enough in this job to spend a little time preparing and reviewing the job description or getting ready for answers. So if they're not that interested, we're not moving them forward. So that's all you have to be prepared.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how do how do you prepare yourself? I mean, I'm sure you know everybody does it differently because everybody is different, but there have to be some boilerplate things that you do before you go into a job interview. So what would be like the top three or four big things.
Speaker 9: Well, so let me tell you, first of all what they're looking for so you can be prepared for it. So the first thing is they want to know can.
Speaker 5: You do the job?
Speaker 9: So you need to know you know on your resume you can show you can.
Speaker 1: Do the job.
Speaker 9: And the second one, which most people don't get, is can you do and are you excited about this job? So preparation is about really taking a look at the job description. And in the book, we deconstruct a job description and we show you how can you take the job description and pick up on possible questions they're going to ask and then think about what would be a way to answer it and show I'm a motivated and enthusiastic about this job. In addition, now a whole bunch of common questions tell me about yourself, why do you want this job? That you should be prepared for. And part of that preparation is thinking about a couple of examples. So what's a good example when I did this, or what's a great story I can tell here? So when they ask you these questions, you're just pulling out the answers that you're already ready for.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean if it's most companies want an answer to you know, we make money, how can you help us make money? Tell us how you can help us be a better and more profitable company. I think that's probably one that would stand out to me if I were going into a job interview. The other one would be tell us how you tell us how you operate as a member of the team. What kind of teammate are you? And I just think they're just so certain things you have to you have to prepare yourself for. Imagine yourself as a leader, if you ever got to a leadership position, what would be the important things for you? I think I think you can rehearse those. But then there's the tendency to memorize answers and not come off as authentic. So how do you how do you balance that?
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm so glad you said that, because absolutely part of preparation is coming up with a good answer, but you definitely don't want to memorize it. And actually, in the book we have we have some bad examples, and one of them is somebody obviously memorized uh, And the answer and then gets interrupted and then goes back to the beginning because you can't remember from the middle. You never want to do that and instead instead what you want to do, And I've had plenty of have some notes in front of you, or have some bullet points, so it shouldn't be word for word.
Speaker 4: It should just be.
Speaker 9: For example, if the interviewer asked me, why are you interested in this job? I should have you know, two or three bullet points and yes, I probably should have said it out loud and practiced. And I also recommend timing yourself so you don't give a five minute answer, you give a one or two minute answer, but just have a couple of bullet points and have a story and make it quick rather than just think about, well, I'm really not sure what to say here and and I'm so afraid that I have to memorize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, you want to tell people what you can do or what you have done to help other companies you've been with. You don't want to seem braggadocious. There's kind of an art to it, but you know, you got to be yourself because if you start, you know, getting into a rhythm about what I have to say it this way, I have to say it that way. Then you don't come off as authentic, and you probably forget some things that are important that you want to say. But it's it's kind of a fine line, isn't it Anymore. You've got to you've got to make sure you sell yourself, but you also have to make sure after you make the sale, you get out of the room.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 9: So you bring up a really good point and you said bragging, and I hear that concern a lot. Oh, I don't want to brag, but it's not about bragging and making yourself too big. What you need to do is connect what you do your accomplishments to how as you said, how you can help the company accomplishments at this job. This is what I've done in the past. This is how I could help in the future. And it's really important that you also balance using the words I and we because you mentioned team. So if the whole time you only say I did this, I did this, I did this. As the interview, I'm going to say, hmm, I wonder if this person can work with other people or on the other side, I've had plenty of interviewers that all they do is say we we WE week And so I thought, huh, that's great that the person is good with their team, but what did they actually do? And so you've got to think about you want to say both of those things and make sure that you have the information. The other thing is you can use a framework to really get the message across.
Speaker 4: And we have a couple of them.
Speaker 9: So like soa R sore, tell somebody, here's the situation, here's the obstacle. I was able to work on action A. So this is what I did, and this is what the team did, and here's the result. And this is the kind of result I can have for your company in this job. So making sure that you're really connecting it to this job.
Speaker 1: You've worked in business, you've worked. It's saying here you were a senior talent director of talent development for a global tech company. What is the one question you asked when you were looking for a perspective employee? What was the one question that you had to have answered or it was like this person's a non starter.
Speaker 9: Well, and then so this is going to sound funny because this is my favorite question. I always ask this tell me about yourself. And it sounds so general. But here's why I love it because in like this is typically in the first you know, two minutes of an interview, I really want to find out first of all, if there are red flags, what are they going to say, how prepared are they? What do they really want me to know about that? And so that gives me some indications about where we're going with this. And then I also really want to ask them, why do you want this job? Because again, if their answers are general, well, I'm looking for a kind of job that does this, And I'm thinking, Okay, I know you're looking for a job because you're in front of me, but why do you want this job? And if they then can connect to I'm excited about these opportunities. I want to do this and really connect it, then I think, Okay, if I hire this person, they're probably a good chance they will stay for a while rather than just ooh, I happen to be a job you know that they're looking at. So I really want to know this job as opposed to yeah, I just want something in the future.
Speaker 1: Exactly. There's nothing more expensive for a company than to keep hiring employees, and if the churn rate is pretty high, chances are well you have probably probably. If the churn rate is high, you have bad people conducting the interview, you get bad candidates, and then all of a sudden, you're back at it again in six or nine months.
Speaker 3: Lord Brown's are exactly.
Speaker 1: She is the author of interviews speaking what your interviewer really wants to know. She's got a master's degree in human resources, and she's the creator of coffee break dot Com. I'm guessing on coffee break dot com we find what dark ROAs, medium ROAs? What are we flying on it?
Speaker 9: What are you offering here, Laura, Oh, it's careercoffee break dot com. And I like to think I'm giving you. I'm giving you tips to sip with your coffee in the morning because it's quick career tip, quick career tips. And if they go there, they can actually get a forty discount on the books from the publisher. And I've also got online classes to help you get a raise at work or help you to negotiate your higher salary at your next job.
Speaker 1: Career coffee break dot com. Did you ever I suppose interview somebody and you thought this is it. This is the person and the way companies operate. Now you're going to do something that is not person to person, you might do it. You might you might do it in a zoom. You might even do it just in a back and forth chat on someplace. And then eventually you get that person in the room and man, you're excited. You think this is the person. They get in there and they absolutely drop the ball. Why if so, if that ever happened, what was it about that person when they dropped the ball? What was there drop the ball moment? Besides they're freezing perhaps on the question and tell me about yourself.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And it's so typically when it's something like that, they've come across really really well and their answers are good, and so maybe they've been really good at preparing. But then they come in and then or again on zoom or you know, there in the office, and then you ask them something like why did you leave your last job? So you ask them sort of a more difficult question, and then they stumble because they're like ugh, or sometimes and I haven't done this, but sometimes you ask them kind of a weird question, which is a weird question might be tell me what sort of superhero you would be if you were superior, because I want to hear how they handle something when there's no right answer and when they haven't been able to prepare. What I really want to find out is how do you think and if they're really sort of stunted or if they get annoyed or something like that and think, Mmmm, this is not the right person. So you have to not only be prepared if you are the person that's sitting in front of me, you have to be ready for weird questions or questions you don't like, or questions you don't expect, because I want to see how do you handle that, because in real life and work, things don't go the way that you expect.
Speaker 3: You need to show me that you can handle that.
Speaker 1: I said in a job interview, Laura, Gosh, this is going back maybe thirty five forty years ago. I would I don't expect you to know this, but I was a television anchored news sports, and so I'm at a television station and I'm an interviewed for a job and there's three people in the room interviewing me, and one person asks me, do you like dogs? I looked at her, and I said, yeah, no, I liked dog. What's your favorite dog? And I'm thinking the only thing I could think of was Rottweiler. And I don't know why. I don't particularly like Rottweiler's. I ought more for, like, you know, but whatever she was and I'm like, I know. My jaw had to hit the ground when she asked it, and like one guy is nodding, yeah, Rottweiler's. I like it, and like her she backs up like it's like the worst thing in the world. And I walked out of that job interview. It was out of town. It was I had to fly out of there, and I said, you know what, I don't even want this job. This person sitting here asking me what kind of dog do I like, It's like, what do you care? I'm not bringing the dog to work, so you're hiring me, you're not hiring my dog. But anyway, but I think they did that. My point in all of this is they did that for a reaction. And should you be prepared for a question that has nothing to do with the job, just so they can gauge your reaction to a question.
Speaker 9: I'm that's exactly it. So, so if I were asked you know, what kind of dog do you like?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: Weird question.
Speaker 1: That that don't say.
Speaker 4: No, I wouldn't, so.
Speaker 9: I might say something, well, you know, I I would like a dog, you know. I like dogs that are that are big and friendly and nice, So I think like a golden retriever. So I've given a reason why. Okay, but isn't that a nice answer?
Speaker 4: I want to know, is right?
Speaker 9: All I want to know is that I can you know, I can answer something that I that it's not expected that I have a reason there and it comes across as a as a positive answer, So it doesn't matter. I mean, you know, you could pick up about any dog as long as there is a reason why you say it and it's a reasonable reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the only beauty for me is is that the three people that I interviewed with, they were all gone within ten months.
Speaker 7: So okay, this is really interesting, right.
Speaker 1: A wise maneuver on my part. Okay, where do we Where do we get to interview? Speak? What your interview? Your interviewer or really wants to know. I'm sure it's on Amazon, but where else can we find?
Speaker 9: Well, of course it's on Amazon again, but come to careercoffee break dot Com because you can get the forty percent discount on Amazon, you won't get the discount, So my publisher really wants to incentivize you. Because the whole point is that you never know when you're going to get an interview, is you pointed out? You know in the year twenty twenty six a lot of us are going to be interviewed again. So start now, get ready, Start to understand what you need to do so you're prepared when a friend of yours said, hey, there's something at my company, maybe you should apply for that, be prepared now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you offer online courses for people to earn more money at work. Is that at the Careercoffee Break dot com as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it is.
Speaker 9: I love to help people make more money, and I help people to ask for raises, and when they do get that job offer, there are some keys I give them to how do you get the highest money possible? Because the money is really important and people get really nervous about asking for more. But absolutely you need to negotiate for yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, Laura, the next time you see a Rottweilers, think of me.
Speaker 9: Okay again, I certainly will. And then it's some wonderful talking to you.
Speaker 1: I really really appreciate that, right, Laura Brown find her again at Career coffee break dot com. Thank you, Laura, stay.
Speaker 4: Will, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: It's true story. I did. I interviewed it at this television station. I forget where. It wasn't Dallas, it was it was it was it might have been Houston. It was in Texas, that's all. It had to be Dallas. And it was in Dallas, so it was in Houston. And they asked me do you like dogs. I'm like, yeah, yeah, I love dogs. And the only dog I think I don't even think I had a dog at the time going there. I think it was Rottwiler. And the woman that asked the question, there was two guys and a woman in this in this room, and she felt almost backward in her chair and her eyes got like saucer cups, and it's like the two guys are like, yeah, yeah, yeah, right, well yeah yeah yeah, we like Rottwilers. And I'm thinking to myself, why are they asking me this? And then like I don't know. An hour later, when I left the building, I said, there is no way in hell I'm going to work there, but they were They all got canned within ten months. Such is the swinging, swirling world of broadcasting to twenty seven News Radio seven hundred WYLW today, it does mark the beginning of the end.
Speaker 4: Oh hello.
Speaker 3: Yet and I'm I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: Seg, is that a golf tournament? He's had a golf tournament for Bengals sponsors and it's at Ashton Woods, which is a lovely golf course. And Seg, what did you shoot today?
Speaker 4: I didn't play, then, Brew, I don't play.
Speaker 1: Golf, so you didn't. You didn't play golf, but you went there for why?
Speaker 4: I'm here for entertainment purposes?
Speaker 1: Well, are you doing a one man review?
Speaker 4: What? What? What? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like your tournament?
Speaker 4: I'm going to comedy act and show later on in and just to get our sponsors to uh renew and look toward twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Now what kind of sponsors are out there? Seg? Who are these people?
Speaker 4: Everybody? And the Pellas down here, Dizzy's for ours, came for our lunch. All the sponsors a door and window, they're all here. They're all our Bengal croud Bengal sponsors are.
Speaker 1: Here and all the sales. The entire sales staff is there right correct, and left behind our our production and talent and maintenance.
Speaker 4: Not many, not many are there today with all with all of us here, there were productive and.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful day. It's a good day to be outside, which is why I've been broadcasting outside all day and and you're outside. So why don't you fill us in on what we're missing here? In sports seg Who is it brought to us by? Who would be the the sponsor that brings us this report?
Speaker 4: Ken Brew, the students reporters of Croud Service, every local Thamestar eating an air condition dealers Thamestar quality you can feel in Cincinnati. Col Schmid eating at Coolie five one three five three one sixty nine hundred Schmidt.
Speaker 1: We love Schmidt.
Speaker 4: You need to eat now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, turn it up, turn it up, turn up the heat.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We also want to thank Ron's Roost Restaurant and Bar can Brew the world's greatest fried Chicken thirty eight to fifty three race road at five one three, five seven four two two two, providing our dinner for the luncheon golf outing today.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well, let's think there are you bringing anything back here for some of the poor of us that have to work.
Speaker 4: I'll bring you back a doggie bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah we won't see that. Say please, please suck. We're never going to see that.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, Bengals up.
Speaker 4: They brought to you by you a good Spirits at Party Town thirteen Locations, Northern Kentucky. Bengals and Jeff Sunday previewed all tonight with Lance and Company at the Cincinnada Tax Resolute in Power by Tope Round Table Show presented by Postman Law. That'll be live from Long Knicks and Beautiful rich Wood starting a six five year on seven hundred WLW. Former Angals quarterback Ken Anderson, along with Isaac Curtis and Leap and Lamar Parrish, who's going in Sunday in the Ring of Honor along with Dave Levam. Those three gentlemen are a step closer to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton because Anderson, Is Anderson, Curtis, and Parish are among thirty four players now have that are on the Blue Rivet Committee, still in contention and in the running to be enshrined.
Speaker 1: No seg I hope you know, I hope Ken Anderson should be in the Hall of Fame. That is beyond argument. I hope that they don't. I hope they don't put him in the Hall of Fame after he's gone. You know, they did that to Ken Stadler. They did that to Ken Stabler. I just think that's so wrong. You know, if the man is Hall of Fame, where they put him in while he and his family can enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Let's see what soccer ken brew. Of course, our beloved FC Cincinnati starts the playoffs the this Monday night against the Columbus Crew. But Evander from SD Cincinnati is one of three players up for the MLS MVP vote, and Nick Haglin, the Pride to Cincinnati, looks like he's up for Comeback Player of the Year award.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be a big comeback. I mean, if this hit thing holds up, he's he's done well coming back from that injury. Absolutely it should.
Speaker 3: Be that way.
Speaker 4: Yes, give it and that of course to the big news of the day is the NBA as gambling scandal. Portland Trailblazers coach Chauncey Billups, along with Miami heat guard Terry Rosier and former Cleveland Cavaliers player and assistant coach Damon Jones all arrested today as part of a pair of investigations related to illegal gambling in both the NBA and all the poker games.
Speaker 1: Well, the Chauncey Billups thing is the scene out of the Sopranos. They did a whole they did a whole episode in The Sopranos of a card game, this big card game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like illegal poker operation tied to the mafia.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there are four of the five major mafia families were involved in this thing, and old Chauncey and apparently they had things like the machines that shuffled the cards. Those things were shuffling them in an order where you know, the house, the house would always know what the cards were. They had X ray machines underneath tables so they could see cards when the cards were laid down. Now you're Chauncey Billups, all right. I'm not saying, you know, Chauncey is is the brightest ball in the circuit. I don't know, But I'm just saying, if you're Chauncey Billups and you've made like one hundred million dollars in your career. What the hell are you playing in a card game where you're going to make maybe like four or five thousand dollars. Guy, the guy was getting paid to coach Portland. He's a coach. He made one hundred and seven million dollars playing in the NBA, and now he's making money coaching and he's involved in a card game with the mafia.
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 1: What is this guy thinking that?
Speaker 4: I don't know, ken Brew. I guess they tallied up thirty people so far in the whole thing, so I guess. And then what's rather quiet? It's that gambling gamble with the Cleveland Guardians two pitchers. You haven't heard anything about that lately, No, no, no, But.
Speaker 1: You know what, the NBA. I've always said this, The NBA has always been the most susceptible league to this kind of thing. There's only five guys on the court for each team, and all you gotta do is, like, you know, just you know, lolly gaga shot or don't play defense, or maybe you miss a few on purpose, and all of a sudden, you know you can help somebody who's got money on the game. And it's been that way fifty The college basketball and fifty one, the greatest college basketball betting scandal involved all these New York City teams. And then you had the Donnage thing with the that was providing gamblers with information. And then he had just what a couple of years ago, they had a guy that played for Toronto that he was he was banned for life for gambling. And now you got this, I guarantee you these two guys are gonna flip. They're gonna give other names. That's the way it works. With the fence.
Speaker 4: They were talking about like sports books were in multiple states flagged suspicious betting interest in certain games and stuff. And I mean this was like in twenty twenty three, So I mean, who knows, who knows how much that went on?
Speaker 1: You know, so the whole world's work. The whole world is that whack.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Rosier was in a final season of a four year, ninety six million dollars deal. Well, I mean, do you how much do you need?
Speaker 1: One hundred and thirty five million is what Rosier made. He was going to make twenty five million this year, twenty five million this year. And he does that so he can get a little kick back some from some amblers allegedly. I mean, come on, man, use your head, use your head whatever, seg get us out of this, get us out of the Stooge Report, so you can go hobnob with those celebrities. I'm sure that they're looking forward.
Speaker 4: To that, all right, ken brew in honor of a beautiful day here in the Price State. We leave you with the immortal words of the Stooge Report.
Speaker 1: We leave you with the immortal words of the Stooge Report.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: There they are all right, see seg Yeah, safe travels back well, we'll rendezvu tomorrow. On seven hundred WLW two fifty five News Radio seven hundred WLW says a brand new Food Fighters song.
Speaker 3: Yi asking for a friend.
Speaker 1: Our producer Dave Keaton is very excited about this new album, says it's dark, depressing, nevertheless, it's brand new music the Foo Fighters. There's no bigger Food Fighter fan in this world. And the man who's standing by to join us right now, someone who understands the meaning of music in sports and relevancy, and a man that I am happy to say I am merely a bridge to and at the end of that bridge is not only a pot of gold and a Rainbow. But two little leprechauns named Eddie and Rocky, and they're taking over after I'm done. And Rocket, Jay boyman, how are you fresh back from calling that Middle Tennessee Delaware game last night. Let's let's see how Rocky did in this game? Analyzing something, Aron, let's a.
Speaker 4: You'll be the judge.
Speaker 3: We go it's I think the tip of that toe.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Now the fact that the call on the field was it was a catch. Now that that hangle right there.
Speaker 1: Looks like that toe. Yeah, hot analysis here from Rocket is I nailed that.
Speaker 2: By the way, Ken, I know.
Speaker 4: You did that.
Speaker 1: You got that right?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I I record all your games and looking which are the pertinent moments that I could play.
Speaker 8: When when you're not even my wife like watches these games, Ken, and but but you do. But by the way, it kind of went for a second. That game took four hours last night. And to quote Troy Aikman, nothing will ruin a broadcast more than those yellow flags that the officials throw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was over officiated last night. But it looked like a nice night in Delaware. He had fun with us.
Speaker 8: Beautiful first date. Yeah, Delaware. Joe Flacco, the whole tie in. There was great.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden played, you know, at the University of Delaware on the freshman team. Yeah, we did sixty one.
Speaker 8: We didn't get him into the broadcast last night.
Speaker 3: Maybe next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. He claimed games he played against the Ohio University freshman team in sixty one and got thrown out of one of the dorms there. He actually told my daughter that when she saw he was coming through Athens in two thousand it must have been two thousand and eight when he was campaigning, and related that story to her and a group of other people that were there.
Speaker 3: Sounds completely made up.
Speaker 1: Di I know, I have no doubt that he was FOS on that one. Yes, speaking of FOS, what's this gambit that the Democrats are playing trying? They blocked again just a clean bill that would just fund the military and fund the air traffic controllers, and they blocked it again today. I mean, why are they dying on these.
Speaker 8: Hills because they can't They can't vote to get things moving in the right direction because to do that they would have to side with some things that Trump wants, and they can never be seen agreen with anything that Trump ever stands for even if Trump's that the sky is blue, well they have to come out and said, no, it's actually, you know, purple or something like that. So and the American people are the ones that suffer, especially the government employees.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I agree on hundred percent. The only thing that's purple, by the way, is that woman's hair from where she from Rhode Island. That's the Democrat representative. That's about the only thing that's that's purple. But the you know, the fact of the matter is is it's it's going to start to get real for a lot of people here. And why they choose to do things the way they do to block Trump. Now there's a Democrat that's running around saying they want to put trackers on ice agents. This is a political party that I once admired a lot of people that it is devoid of any ideas except get Trump, Stop Trump, Orange Mad Band, bad get Trump. They have nothing else to offer, Rocky nothing.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 8: They start with the determination that Trump is wrong, and then they work backwards and trying to find somehow, some way to make even the smallest, slightest case that that's true. And again the country suffers, and it's killing them by the day, though, Ken, because their their stances are increasingly more and more ridiculous. And thankfully now there's more news on on social media and people can go to some more trusted sources and find the truth on some things. The legacy media has zero power anymore. So it's it's that they think they're fighting back, but they're they're really killing their own cause here. And I mean the latest one is the the they're just losing their mind over Trump's construction of a ballroom in the White House, which that might happened what four or five times in history.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous. You line ten people up on Fountain Square and ask who's upset about it, and you won't get one person to say yes, lockt, I gotta go. Apparently Chauncey Phillips can't make his card game, so they need me to sit in. It's a big story, Ken, We got to get the bottom of this there. I don't want to cut into anymore your time. You guys have a great show, as you always will when you're together, and you and I will visit down the road, my friend. Thank you sounds good, Ken. Thanks That duo is standing by next on seven hundred W l W