Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking.
Speaker 2: All Right, Join right now by Dodger left hander Eric Lauer navigating lineups, navigating LA traffic for a day game in the middle of the week. Eric, thanks a lot for the time appreciated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Have you been getting used to what it's like to navigate the streets of LA.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: It's still the traffic still kind of sneaks up on me sometimes, but I'm getting better at it.
Speaker 2: And he justin Robleski helped you out last night hour and fifty two minute game. What have you seen from Robleski that impresses you the most?
Speaker 1: I think his ability to throw strikes. I mean, he fills the zone up a lot. He's not afraid to go after guys, and you know, I think that that plays into his hand of you know, I have a lot of good stuff. I'm gonna come at you with everything I got, And you know, he throws hard, has good offsby stuff, and you know, slows him down with that curveball now, and I think he just keeps him off balanced well, but he stayed in the zones and he gets guys out in the zone.
Speaker 3: Which is hard to do.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts always talks about how the starter sets the tone for the game, and I feel like the starter not only set the tone for the game the first night against the Race, but also for the series. And that's you. You could have allowed that game to get out of hand after the first couple of innings. How did you maintain composure and be able to navigate, you know, four or five more innings to go six.
Speaker 1: I think that's That's something that I've kind of been dealing with a little bit more than I would like to have this year. So I'm kind of getting used to having the first inning and second inning kind of be a little more of a scuffle for me, which, you know, moving forward, I plan on that not being.
Speaker 3: The case anymore.
Speaker 1: That's a great plan, I mean, I think that's the plan I should go with.
Speaker 3: But I think when you get in that.
Speaker 1: Situation, you know, you know, you're still keeping the team in the game, and the goal at that point becomes, all right, how long can I go in this game to you know, keep us in it? And you know, luckily enough, I was able to go the six innings that I needed to get to, and you know, keep just the big the biggest part is just keeping the team in the game. And I know that that big three run homer, you know, put us right back within striking distance.
Speaker 3: So at that point, it was just a matter of, you.
Speaker 1: Know, making sure that I was going out there and executing pitches and making sure that I was staying on top of guys and that I wasn't letting my pitch count run up too high. But you know, it's it's a matter of you know, just really focusing and making sure that you're taking care of what you can take care of, and you know, executing pitches the best you can.
Speaker 2: How much does the defense behind you playing to the trust of your stuff and attacking the strike zone because you guys get so much attention for the slug the offense, but the defense is the best in baseball.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And that's why I think for me, it's important to keep the ball in the yard.
Speaker 3: You know, I've been struggling with that a little bit.
Speaker 1: So I think, like, I'm more than comfortable letting them hit it. It's just I need to make them hit my pitch, and I need to, you know, make sure that I'm executing pitches to the best of my ability because I know that I can be in zone. I know that I can you know, attack hitters, especially aggressive hitters who are gonna go after pitches in zone and you know them, let them put the ball in play, because nine times out of ten we're gonna make the play and I won't have anything to worry about.
Speaker 2: So Khrushaw always talked about he could live with solo home runs. It's the two three run home runs that really hurt. Is that kind of the mentality for you as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's a general overview, that's a very good, you know, way of thinking about it. Is like, solo homers generally won't hurt you unless there's multiple of them. But it's the two three run homers that you want to stay away from. And obviously that that makes it more important to stay away from, you know, giving up free bases, giving up walks, and hit by pitches like those are things that you definitely want to stay away from because that means that you, you know, you didn't execute enough pitches in that at bat to have a chance to get the guy out. But I think just in general, the comfortability of you know, letting not letting guys put the ball in play, but attacking the zone to where you know, if a guy's aggressive that they probably will get a hit or they will put the ball in play.
Speaker 3: And you know, just relying on your defense. Yet, Yeah, seven guys.
Speaker 1: Behind you, because there's one in front of you technically, so you got seven guys behind you who are elite at what they do.
Speaker 3: So you know, like, let them have fun, let them play a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Eric Lawer is our guest before I let you go. Here's the million dollar question. Guys that come from different organizations and find success with the Dodgers. You've had success, but you're rediscovering success and again this year, everybody wants to know.
Speaker 3: What is it about the Dodgers?
Speaker 2: How do they do it? Have you found out what makes guys successful here?
Speaker 1: That's a really tough question that I think that that's the million dollar question for a reason because it's not it's not one thing that you can particularly point to and say, like, this is what the Dodgers do that make them better or help guys, you know, get better.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's a it's.
Speaker 1: A mixture between you know, constantly being around elite players, and elite guys, elite mindsets, the communication, just the way that you know, the team, the coaching staff, the support staff, how the way everybody interacts.
Speaker 3: Is extremely seamless.
Speaker 1: And you know, that's That's one of the things that's I think a little bit harder about the game that people don't see often is you know, there's so many moving parts from the weight room to the training room.
Speaker 3: To the bullpen, to the.
Speaker 1: Manager's office to the food room. It's like there's so many different moving parts and moving you know. Piece is that sometimes communication can get really hard, and I think what what the Dodgers do really well is they stay on top of that communication and they make sure that everything is as seamless as it possibly can be, so that everybody is as comfortable and can trust each other the most that they possibly can. So, I mean, among many many other things, I think I think that to me has stood out the most is just the the planning and the execution of that plan and the communication of that plan is is far beyond a lot of other other places that I've been. It's it's it's a it's elite here, and it's it's everything that goes on in the clubhouse and around this team, everything is handled at an elite level and I think that just makes everyone better.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And when you got a guy like Eric Lawer that can express himself, the communication is a lot easier. Thanks a lot for the time and the short time we've you've been on the Dodgers. It's been great to get to know you. And Rich'll better watch out. You might be becoming my new favorite crafty lefty.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, all right, I'll tell
Speaker 2: You Eric Lower has been our guest cole brew and all ready to go.