Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. There's certain people in the world that don't know just the effect they have on others. Even if you meet them for a minute, they make you feel like you've known them for a lifetime. And that's certainly the case with our next guest, and he is. I mean, I could go through his whole baseball resume here, but I'm just gonna get it really quick. He's won of nineteen people to win a World Series as a player and a manager. He was part of the first Quarteta teammates to hit thirty home runs. You know, that was with the Dodgers in nineteen seventy seven. He was on deck when Hank Aaron hit his seven hundred and fifteenth home run. He was standing out there in left field for eight years at Dodger stating with bubblegum at his feet because fans loved him so much they were throwing him bubblegum. And how about this, In the day and age where it's acceptable to strike out two hundred times, this guy not only never struck one hundred times in the season, he never struck out ninety times in a season. And Oh, by the way, one two and eighty three games, managed over four thousand games and was three time manager of the Year.
Speaker 2: And he was my favorite Dodger growing up.
Speaker 1: And that is the one and only Johnny b Dusty Baker, who's got a brand new book out. It's out there now you can buy to Barnes and Noble Amazon. It's title Crossroads, a Memoir in Baseball and Life and what a life Dusty Baker is sharing with us.
Speaker 2: Dusty, awesome to have you on the show.
Speaker 1: And you mean so much to me, and it's it's such a great read to just read your life and what made you the person that you are.
Speaker 2: So thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: Man, no problem, Man, I didn't. I didn't have any idea, you know, some of the effects that I would have on people, because people have come up to me and they say, man, that was that was good for you to say that or say this, and I'm going down to go feed the homeless after reading what you said, or I'm going to donate some money over to the church or something. And I was like, man, I didn't write it for that purpose. I wrote it, you know, to make let people know that I was human and that I had been through some of the same things that they, you know, had been through, and some of the younger people are going to go through what I've been through, and you know, maybe it might help them, I mean, help them handle things.
Speaker 2: Dusty.
Speaker 1: I was wondering some of the personal things that you wrote about the death of your father, going back to Africa and seeing the castle where slaves were put in, and just the emotions that you shared. Was it difficult to rehash some of those old memories and feelings.
Speaker 3: That's a good question, you know, sometime it was. I mean it was easy when you're writing about the good times, but you know when you have to go back and then rekindle and bring back the you know, those emotions that you know you had suppressed over so many years, and yeah, I mean that was the toughest part of it, other than reading the same things over and over and over and make sure you got it right. But yeah, exactly, that was the hardest part you know, of writing this was, like I said, you know, going back, because there were times I'd like wake up in the middle of the night and I'm like, man, did I you know, why did I say that? Or did I say that? Right? And I said, no reason. I said it because it was true. So, like I said, a lot of people going through, you know, a lot of things in this world, and hopefully, you know, hope I can help them out some.
Speaker 1: I love that you wrote that you can't just ignore history because then history will repeat itself. Being a Cali kid and being drafted by the Braves and having to go into the Deep South and play for the Braves, how did it feel to rehash those memories and the adversity that you and some of your black teammates had to go through, including the Great Hank Aaron.
Speaker 3: Well, you know something, it wasn't all bad, you know, I mean, you know, some of it wasn't very pleasant. Some of them was actually horrible, but real you don't person realizes and then they adapt to the environment and where you are at that point in time. And so you know, there's not a whole bunch I could have done about the you know, the places that I couldn't go in or whatever. So I just made the most of going to mostly the black places or places where I was accepted and and I made it fun and it helped that I had, you know, a couple of players on the team that were older, well, everybody was older almost every team I was on. I was called a kid from the very very beginning. But to have Hank Aaron, Ralph Guard and especially you know Cido Gaston who was a little bit older than Ralph and myself, you know, to help us do these things, you know, to tell us where to go or where not to go, or which part of town to go in white or black or because sometimes you know, you'd go to this part of town and they could tell you weren't from there, or you go over and the other part of town and they knew definitely that you were not from there. And so you know, it helped a lot. To only have players on their team that helped you, but also guys on other teams, you know, because we'd go to like Salisbury, North Carolina. We'd go to you know, people go to green Greenville, North uh, South Carolina, and the guys on the team would take us out and tell us where to go to and and we do the same, you know when they came to visit us in our town.
Speaker 1: That's the voice of Johnny b one of the coolest dudes you'll ever meet.
Speaker 2: He's got a great new book.
Speaker 1: Out about his incredible life in baseball and Beyond Crossroads is the title. It's available right now. And Dusty, how much did playing for the Dodgers open up some of the doors to some of the incredible heads of state, musicians, actors that you had became friends with.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, when I played with Atlanta, you know, that's when I really met you know, most of the heads of states. And you know, I'm I met most of the black leaders because Hank Aaron was you know, was going for the record, so a lot of people wanted Hank around or they were coming around in Atlanta. You know, there was Maynard Jackson, There's Andrew Andrew Young, there was Jimmy Carter, let me see Ted Abernathy and just many many more, you know, and a lot of entertainers in the South, especially, you know, Gladys Knight and James Brown and all these people were coming around to see Hank, and I happened to be there. Then when I got to La then you saw a different side of entertainment. You know, you saw at that time, you saw Hollywood, you saw singers and dancers, and uh, you know, I had a good life and you know, one of the prime stories that I had is when I used to go to the barbershop, the same barbershops some of the guys like the Gap band, you know, like he used to go there and Miles Davis, you know, used to go to this barbershop and that was my dad's favorite. And I didn't really understand that music when I was young. With the older I got, I was like, man, you know, now I see why it's attracted his music to my dad. And so like at the time, you don't really think about that. You know, you don't think about if you're a star, because you know, when you're talking to these other stars and you realize that they're people just like you are, you know, like I came up with some good friends out of that, you know, like Ronnie Laws, Craig P. Cooper. I mean, these guys I'm still in contact, you know with now, and so you realize that they need genuine people, just like you need genuine people to surround you.
Speaker 1: I mean people now, I mean, these Dodgers are very popular in LA, but growing up in LA, my whole life, you guys were rock stars. But you're a great person to ask this because, like we mentioned, like you've wrote about I mean, you've you've met a lot of great people, but kept your feet grounded.
Speaker 2: How How did you not allow LA to swallow you up?
Speaker 1: And you still remain focused that baseball was number one and if you didn't perform in baseball, nobody would would care about this other stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean LA was tough, you know, because it's hard not to get swallowed up. I mean there was a time when I was becoming on that road to get swallowed up. And you know, the thing about it is you just have to maintain your your you know, beliefs and think about how you were raised and especially when you're raised in the church, and you know this is all temporary. Because the one thing about LA New York Chicago, I mean it's it's temporary, you know, for the time that you're there. I mean, you know there's people that still remember you to this or that, but there's always new stars coming out, like almost every day. And it was great for me to play in LA because I felt like I was born in my career in Atlanta, but I turned in two man in my career in LA. And the fact that we won, and also that I grew up a Dodger fan you know, liking Tommy Davis. He was my hero. That's why I wear number twelve, and so, you know, because of Tommy Davis. And so, you know, we all need heroes, and you hope that your hero is a Greek citizen and then leaves you in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Well, my hero is and that's Dusty Baker. Not they say you don't want to meet your heroes, but meeting Dusty Baker, it's everything that it sounds like. And along those same lines, Dusty, I heard so many stories about how Tommy Lasorda would bring in you know, Captain int Neil Sinatra through your clubhouse, Don Rickles.
Speaker 3: What was that like, Well, hey, that's Tommy. I mean Tommy always had stars or these two things. He always had stars around, and he always had food around. I mean, and and once I became a manager, that's one of the ways that I tried to unite my team was to have food around. You know, you're bringing in different food from different cultures and after a while you're like, that's pretty good. Wow, man, I didn't know I was like that. So, I mean that was real cool. Uh, you know, having stars around, I mean, guys would you know come around like, uh, I see them now on TV. You know, they were little kids then, or Marcus Allen would come around and steal my hats out of my you know, out of my uh, out of my locker and uh, I have a lot of pictures on my wall here, you know, like Tony, Orlando and Don and I have like some letters that that Tommy got for me. I got a Frank Sinatra letter, I got Don Rickles letter, I got a Bob Hope letter. I got a Barack Obama letter. Uh. And I you know a number of these letters, and you know, some of them I met, you know, through Tommy and some of them because you know, the people in LA they love their team and they love to come around the team, and we love to have them come around. And so it was a it was a very very very good uh, you know, the time of my life and and hopefully the other people enjoyed as much as we did.
Speaker 1: Now, just knowing some of the guys that you played with, is it fair to say that Davey Lopes and Reggie Smith were probably two of your best friends on the team when you played with the Dodgers or were there.
Speaker 3: More that there was more? I mean, you know those guys. I was close to them, I mean big time. Davy Davy was my daughter's godfather. But you know, we had Lee Lacy, who I was hanging with, and Steve Garvey, you know who I was hanging with, and you know, just you know, now Downing was there. I mean they we had some We had some outstanding UH players, and we had some young players, Rudy Law, Steve how Bobby Wilks was probably one of my best best friends because I would try to pass on to them the things that Hank Aaron and Atlanta Cipida passed on to me when I was a young player. And so we always had some fine young players. You know, you had Canny Molla, Ale, Jeffrey Leonard. I mean you look at Brock, you look at Marshall, you look at Steve Sachs on Fosia. I mean we were turning them out. I mean, I still thought the Cucliff and all these guys were young young players, including Dave Stewart, and you know, I'm just naming a few few players. And we were close as the unit, and we took care of the young players, and we took care of each.
Speaker 2: Other, no doubt.
Speaker 1: That was a family for sure. Dusty Baker is our guest, and Dusty. The Knicks just celebrated their championship with the parade first time in fifty three years. The Dodgers, after twenty four, had their first parade since eighty eight. What do you remember the most about the eighty one parade, because I'm sure they were much different than they are now.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that was my first parade, and you know, you you remember all the guys on the team. You know, you think back and you think about Manny Mota and some of these guys at Paedo Guerrero, young player, the Vieger had a great, great Rose Ronsei. And so I'm just happy that my teammates picked me up because I didn't have a very good World Series, but you know, they picked me up. And I think about the Knicks when when I hurt my hand the day before the World Series and Tommy told me that I had to play because the team wasn't the same if I wasn't on the field. I said, Tommy, I can't even swing. But I think back when I think back upon it, and you're talking about the Knicks, I think about Willis Reed when he couldn't even walk, but he went out there to play to support his team. I wasn't nearly the player Willis Reed was to his team. But similar situation that sometimes take one for the team and then sometime the team picks you up, and I feel like all my teammates picked me up.
Speaker 2: And everybody loves Dusty Baker.
Speaker 1: You've picked up so many people in your life and it's okay if they picked you up once in a while. You just celebrated your seventy seventh birthday, Dusty.
Speaker 2: Did you have a big party.
Speaker 3: No, not really. I actually had a book sign and yeah, I kind of. We had a book signing party at Kevin Johnson kJ. You know, he used to play for the Phoenix Suns at his mother's bookstore and it's called Underground Books and and there must have been two or three hundred people there in this auditorium that he owns right downtown in the same neighborhood where he grew up in Oak Park, So it's really pretty cool. And afterwards we went to his restaurant, you know, we went to Dinner Fixes, which they have one down to Staples Center as well in La You know, we had a great, great meal afterwards and went on home, went to bed.
Speaker 1: I know your life has taking you so many different places, Dusty, but I know I speak for La and Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: This will forever be your home.
Speaker 1: I know other cities you brought success and championships to, but this is this is for all of us down here, Dusty Baker's home.
Speaker 2: Left Field is your home.
Speaker 1: And this is an incredible book and I think makes all of us understand how you became the person that you are and just how you've been able to touch so many lives and it's it's really special.
Speaker 2: So thank you for sharing your life with all of us.
Speaker 3: You know, when I think beck, I started laughing because Rick Munday he gave me the name doctor Skull and he still calls me Skall to this day.
Speaker 2: Why did he give me that nickname?
Speaker 3: Well, because I used to tell everybody I was going to scall the ball. I was gonna scall somebody. I guess I was saying it so much. Rick. I didn't even know how much I was saying it, but maybe I said so much. And that's why Rick.
Speaker 2: Mundy, well, I'm sure he's listening to this.
Speaker 1: And I know Rick Monday loves you, and you Reggie Smith and Rick Munday helped get that Infield over the top in nineteen seventy seven and all those years after, especially in eighty one.
Speaker 2: So you know what you mean to this city, Dusty.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and and I just want to, you know, just shout out. I forgot to mention Kenny lab because Lanjo was one of them, and Darryl Thomas. We had some we had some characters. We had some guys that came to play, and like I said, you know, we were family, and uh, you know, Tommy had a lot to do with as well as our coaches because uh, you know, we all cared about each other. And one time I was at a banquet and I had Bill Russell, you know, big Bill Russell. You know who I thought was this mean, menacing guy? I asked him. I said, hey man, you know what was the secret to the Celtics success? Because you know I didn't like the Celtics. I was a Laker fan, Harry West and Jail Goodrich and Will Chambera and all it. And so he told me that they loved each other. And I never forgot that. I mean, it shocked me when I think about on the good teams, and I was on especially Dodger teams. You know, we loved each other. Sometimes we fought, but you know, you fight with your brother, but nobody else better touch your brother. And you know that's how we were as a family.
Speaker 2: Heard some of those stories. Rick Monday's told me this before.
Speaker 1: The feeling was we can fight amongst each other, but if you go after one of our guys, then you have a problem.
Speaker 3: That is exactly right. I couldn't have said any better myself. All right, man, I'll see you later, See you later, Adios.