Speaker 1: Do you want to be in American start floating on this MLK day on seven hundred Wow, more than that, about nine thirty five feels kind of hollow to me here in Cincinnati anyway.
Speaker 2: Maybe not the rest they came here, but here in Cinty. I'll explain why I'm.
Speaker 3: Momentarily first though TERRFF related stuff. Announcement just came out. Canada has cut tariffs on Chinese made electric vehicles, so kind of an end around there on the United States because the ongoing tariff war, and speaking of which, over the weekend, the President threatened tariffs on eight NATO allies unless the deal has reached for US to buy Greenland, which leaves a lot of US scratching our head. And also the United States Supreme Court last week we're expected to they never tell you what they're going to rule on when, but last week or expecting a decision maybe on whether the Trump tariffs are legal. According to the Ice Supreme Court, they have kicked the can down the least till next time. We'll find out. It could be weeks away at this point, we're not sure. But all this comes together as costs continue to just be stubborn with inflation and everything else in tariff's a part of that for sure. On that is Kyle Moran, our friend from Young Voices, welcome back, How you been.
Speaker 4: I'm good, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: So the big issue here as we debate tariffs and if they're effective or not, is that the President invoked the Powers Act and designed for a national security crisis like wars or terrorism or seizing assets things like that, to impose trade tarffs on China. Is this a misuse of emergency powers because that's what the High Court is going to decide here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it basically is guaranteed to be some sort of abuse of overreach in terms of the emergency powers granted to him through that Act, because from day one when he rolled these out, he was already exempting very specific industries that are economically important because he knows the impact that tariff would have on those would be detrimental to the United States. But critically this shows that it's not based on national security. When he's exempting cowper, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, all these other types of materials from the tariffs, then what is it What is he even tariffing a lot of it is a lot less important goods that we're importing, So therefore it's not based on national security, which he himself has sort of admitted very at various times. He has gone on record as saying it's going to be used to pay down the national debt, to do now, to do these stimulus checks as a source of revenue rather than as a national security concern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is a concern too. It's just purely on a revenue standpoint. And so far we've had some indication that the conservative justices are even pushing back on this. Amy Cony Barrett and Justice Chief Justice Rod John Roberts said that the vehicle is in position of taxes on Americans and that has always been a core power of Congress. Those early indication certainly don't indicate how they're going to vote, because there's been time to I've thrown that out. They're challenging it. But that if you're looking at the tea lives here, it doesn't bode well for this.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't, because like I was, like I said, so much of this has not even been like the oppositions criticizing the administration, but the administration undermining its own position. So it really does. It does get into some tricky legal battles for the administration to keep this standing. But I have, I do have to step back and think these powers were passed to be very limited in times of in terms of actual concerns to national security. We have reached a point where Congress has ceded so much power to the executive. The point of passing that Act in nineteen seventy seven was never to institute broad sweeping powers for the executives to just simply impose and pull off and impose more care really nilly. That was not what it was for. It's not what it is for now, and the country is not designed to be run by somebody who has essentially more and more unlimited power for four years before election.
Speaker 3: If the Supreme Court rules against these terroriffs, does that then call in the re examination of the executive order power the part of the presidency and executive I mean, we saw Biden and the autopen do it with impunity, and Trump said, well, here, hold my diet coke, watch me make a bunch of executive orders. In Congress has absolutely no They're feckless, right, I mean, you can shut the government down for forty something days over god knows what. They can't really pass any and come to conclusion other than releasing the Epstein files because it covers their asses. But does this change then how we how we maybe that the Congress actually is forced to do their job.
Speaker 4: I'm not optimistic on that. I it will limit the executive in terms of being able to do this on again, off again charade, which has reached incredible levels where it's literally back in April and May, it was every day you would open the news, new tariff and then one of those tariffs was canceled, and then the next day more tariff. So that type of stuff would be much harder for future executives. But to your point about Biden with the auto pen and all these things, Congress has essentially feeded, like I said, so much of its own power to the executive on a broad range of issues. The Supreme Court doesn't have the ability to step in and say Congress needs to do this. It can say that the President doesn't have the ability himself to do it, but it can't make Congress do its job. And certainly, as we have seeing, Congress can't make Congress do its own job. So we are in an unfortunate position there, and I'm not gone through them that will see much of an improvement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'm hoping anyway, uh, Cale Moran that if the if the Supreme Court rolls against him with tariffs, which we'll get in the repercussions of that in a second, but on a bigger scale, and that is limiting executive office powers and executive branch powers. That there's a roadblock there, and the other one is going to be Venezuela at some point, I imagine you know that's going to come to some sort of fruition here, but relative to the ninety billion collected, that is another big problem there. The of course the money's coming back in, but it would there be a refund and how would that even work?
Speaker 4: That is an excellent question because this is something on this scale that's never been attempted before. So if these are stripped down, there would have to be refunds. But depending on when this actually happens, depending on if the government has spent this money. Trump is already eyeing using those funds for these two thousand dollars stimulus checks, which wouldn't even be enough to cover those by the way, but it would create a very unprecedented situation. We would have to see exactly how this plays out, But to answer your question, yes, they would have to be refunded well.
Speaker 3: And the other element here is if we have a thirty eight trillion dollar deficit, why are we handing out two thousand dollars checks which seems like it was light years ago and I was proposed, but again, nothing ever dies. I think more than that though, the idea we're going to spend seven hundred billion on buying greenland.
Speaker 2: We got the money and the count for that one.
Speaker 4: Exactly, which is part of the issue here. Again. We saw the impact back under the Biden administration incredibly big spending and money printing in twenty twenty one, which drove inflation up to nine percent, and we are still feeling the results of that. We're still feeling the impact of that for almost five years on now. So when the inflation goes up like that, it never comes down again. The inflation rate at which is increase may come down, but the prices that went up they're just there and you're stuck with that. You will never see twenty nineteen prices for a lot of goods again. And that's the unfortunate reality of the money system that we have now, where we just print more and more, and almost certainly we would have to print a considerable amount of money to make these two thousand dollars checks happen. And then on top of that, Trump hates the current Federal Reserve chairge your own Powell, who's not flallaced by any means, but he wants to replace them with somebody who's going to be even more dubbish and turn the money printers back on and just print print.
Speaker 3: As someone who is I guess more libertarian than anything, and I just dis trust government top to bottom of my team, your team. Kind of nonsense. There's an hypocrisy test here, right, So how many Republicans who absolutely celebrate the tariffs and all this and the bombing of ships off Venezuela would they be outrage of a Democratic president of this sen I mean, look at this one. We talk about the Affordable Care Act, which is they're right, it's subsidy. You're taking taxpayer money to give other people a break on their healthcare. Healthcare is to damn expensive. Let's do something the lower the cost of healthcare, as opposed to just giving aid to people and redistributing wealth. It doesn't work. It's too expensive, it's not a four. It doesn't make it affordable, it makes it less affordable. Subsidy does using that same logic, And I'm right about that. Republicans should be talking about what we're doing here with Trump and be equally outraged that now we're going to take money that could go pay off the deficit and we're going to give people subsidies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to your point, the healthcare situation is something the GOP has basically ignored for the last no course a decade minimum, and at this point it's reaching a breaking point where they just can't ignore it anymore. They tried to appeal and replace obamac here in twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, it went down in pretty famous ways, and the deal they wanted to pass is not a great deal to begin with. But ever since then, they just haven't tried much of anything. And the only people talking about healthcare reform now are the progressive And that's a very dangerous situation because when people when people see that their health career costs are skyrocketing, which they are, uh and the only people even talking about it are going to be AOC and Bernie Sanders like that is how you wind up with people like Zar Mombami is mayor, even though he doesn't have direct control over health care. People just hear these things from the left and resonate with it, and not illegitimately either because they they they cannot afford these crazy surge surges in these pranceses. So the got really needs to get going on healthcare.
Speaker 3: The Democrats plan is, here's groupon we're going to get the lower cost on your healthcare. We're going to take someone else's money and give it to you. Okay, that's not a plan. That is just a band aid.
Speaker 2: Is what that does?
Speaker 3: It make things worse, not better in the long run. Look what the subsidies done to the college industry. You know, college is out of control because the substet it's the same thing. And then I look at the Republicans and it's been fifteen years. They have no answer on this. All I hear is well, eat better. Well, that's okay, eat better, but don't take tail and all okay, great, but I've got cancer now and I can't afford it. I'm going to take the subsidy. That's that's what we're faced with.
Speaker 4: I know, it's it's absolute madness. And the talking points that they use for some of it is are legitimate. So when they were talking about not wanting any illegal immigrants to be on government subside healthcare, this is a legitimate concern. But that is not addressing the issue that millions of American suits and are seeing their healthcare costs go up more than double, sometimes triple over the last several years. Myself, I have seen mine go up more than in doubles over the last four years. So this is this is unsustainable, and nobody on the right is even talking about it, let alone at proposing real plans on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was supposed to make America great again, and I think healthcare is certainly a cornerstone of that, and to some degree, people like Marjorie Taylor Greener are accurate on that one too. Let's focus on this kind of stuff. You've had fifteen years to come up with a plan, and there's no plan at this point. It's nothing but platitudes, is what I'm getting. He is a comic go ahead.
Speaker 4: People on the right have been attacking her over this, and I'm thinking to myself, this is this is madness. I find it incredible. I'm raising Marjorie Taylor Green of all people, but she is absolutely right about this, and I respect her for her courage and standing up to people who are otherwise just burying their heads in the stands and suspending all is well, it's not, and I respect the fact that she's addressing it.
Speaker 3: He is a common ran political analyst and young voice, a senior contributor, and talking about tariffs now before the Supreme Court and they will decide whether not these are illegal or not. If it's a no go. We got to talk about refunding money to these countries. But you know, at the same time, you look at getting China to the table to kind of negotiate, look at some of the deals done with other countries. Would it be tough for the Supreme Court done do all that.
Speaker 4: Well? In terms of executive the president negotiating with foreign countries, he certainly has pretty broad powers there. But the issue is that he is currently arguing that the tariffs are for national security and in no small part using that as leverage. But the issue is that he has also made so many other statements as well as other people in his administration making other statements that directly undermine that argument, because on one day the case what we made that we need tariff to protect American industry. The next day it will be that tariffs I needed as a temporary measure to get other countries to lower their tariffs on up. And then the day after that it will be that we need tariffs to generate revenues that we can pay off our debt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So nobody, the administration's position on this changes on the daily and it's going to be a very challenging hill for the administration to climb, given how all over the places has been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like corporate America in a way. Is that you know, we live quarter to quarter. We don't care about tomorrow. We just care about the bottom line today, and we might cut our nose off to spite our face, but damn it, we got to do that right now. And it's now that's permeated to politics to agree. If you think about it, is if this is allowed, you want and you know, Republicans will celebrate this big win by the Supreme Court and the tariffs can stand. The present can do that, Okay, great, but I want of the same people will be yelling and angry about this in the future next year or five years or eight whenever, and at some point a Democrat will be back in charge and maybe they go, hey, you know what, climate change is an economic emergency. We're going to impost carbon tariffs exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's why this whole system was set up not to be just as a way we're currently experiencing it, because we are. If you have a country in which you have radical changes of national policy every four years, you're going to go through these wild whiplashes of moving to the right for one administration moving to the west, and the other administration. And this will happen to some extent no matter what the system is, because the executive does have some power. But it was never designed to be this wild swing between Biden comes into office and because he's president, he can do all of these far left things and open the border and at least ten million illegal immigrants, which nobody voted for. Nobody voted in twenty twenty to open the ordering the ten million people into the country. That was not part of the campaign. It just happened with no input from the American electorate. But despite widespread opposition to it. It just continued for three and a half years before he even really tried to address it. Then Trump comes in. Nobody voted. I do not seriously believe that anyone really voted for such high parents on other countries. People may, as he did talk about it during the campaign to his credit on that, but I really don't think that this is much of a huge point that people ended up voting on. So these massive swings are just detrimental to the stability of our country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are checks and balances and we need them, and this will this definitely will decide. It is a huge case before the court. He is a calmran with the young voices. Thanks again, Kyle, great stuff, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for having me cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Canada just announcing they're gonna cut tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles, so it kind of cuts America out a little bit. A little bit anyway, and Trump's as we wait for the court to decide the thing. I think, as we started this conversation back in November, if I'm not mistaken, he threatened tariffs on eight NATO allies unless we get a deal over Greenland, and so it goes. Got to get a news update down this a MLK day back with that topic actually and why it means a little less this year here in Cincinnati, or maybe a lot less anyway, explain next seven hundred ww here we go and it's Martin Luther King Holiday twenty twenty six, and a cold one at that. A seal for the folks they're marching out there today in front of the Freedom Center. It can be cold. The double glove, double hat, double knit kind of day. You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying. What else is going on? I kind of mentioned that in the tea's here about today being a little bit hollow in Cincinnati and maybe maybe nationally as well, because you look at what doctor Martin Luther King believed and what he did and how he suffered himself. Kind Of I wouldn't say quietly because you know, we've seen a lot of footage, heard a lot of stories. But I wind on whind it because I mean, let's start nashally here for a second. In the protests that are happening in Minnesota, and the Department of Justice, by the way, said they're not going to pursue a criminal civil rights investigation into the killing of Rene good by Ice in Minneapolis, because there's no basis for criminal rights investigation, like you know what. Maybe not, but I think I think it's optics too. I think you got to do this and make it look, you know, at least look like you're investigating this thing. It's gonna take some time. You just kind of let it, you know, even if you're not doing it, just say you are. But all that's going to do is make people more angry, which I guess I don't know that's in the exercise. I think of what the administration wants people pissed off all the time. Well, it's working, that's for sure. Seems like you just go, yeah, we'll take a look at it, and then really not do anything. It seems like i'd be the more common sense, pr cut thing kind of do. But you know, we should probably should be looking at this thing based on what occurred. Nonetheless, I point this out because you know, today being the King Day, the King Day holiday is you know, Martin Luther King suffered immeasurably. People have tried to silence him well in his entire life. He was in jail at thirty to rest in jail thirty times, and he used the downtime to further his cause. You know, a letter from Birmingham Jail, et cetera, et cetera. And today you look at the eight point one million dollars settlement in Cincinnati with the protesters here for during the Rodney King protests. You know, they're assuing the government of going after been getting settlement money because they didn't they forgot to bring their medication with them. And just I hear that, go, Yeah, he had dougs and fire hoses and beatings and everything else. And you know he really suffered for what he believed in. For sure, there's no question why. That's why it's a national holiday, which was overdue.
Speaker 2: But this is the today.
Speaker 3: You go, yeah, I didn't have a Yeah it was really it was kind of hot today, a little thirsty. They didn't give me a bottle of enough bottles of water in time or something like like, I don't know it. You look at what happened in the sixties and protests to today sawing an old man going out the kids protesters today, what do they know. I do bring this up in all seriousness though, because to me today I don't get some feedback from this, but it feels a little bit hollow to me here locally, and that is simply because a lot of the individuals and groups for that matter, that were out or will be out that are protesting not protesting, that aren't marching today. I was thinking of Minneapolis again, my apologies on marching today. People march for doctor King's legacy, et cetera, et cetera. And I kept, hell, think what happened in Cincinnati this summer where you had this guy who was attacked, white guy who was attacked by a number, and they say that it's you know, all the the entire mob that was down there was all black and beating on No. It was like six individuals, right, and everyone else tried to get the guy out of there. So it was certainly not you know, the entire crowd. But I guess what bothers me about this is, you know, the groups that are out there that are leading the march today for doctor King, we're the ones that's saying, you know, there's no there's no justice, there's no peace. Scottie Johnson said, there's something in the chamber if there's no justice that all these racist forces led to what happened in backing up this white guy who got the crap beat on them, and initially, you know, we saw that and said, wow, this guy started something. And of course, much like we saw with Chris Seille back back in the day with the young man, the high school kid, Nick Sandman, the initial reaction was, wow, he did this. And of course, you know when you back up and the context is that, now, that's not really what happened, because the prosecutor's office said, this is actually what occurred here. It was they were targeted in a at a VIP and a club. They left there and they were being yell and eventually everything escalated their threatned. People started pushing and shoving them, and the guy turned on and slapped the dude. And is that self defense or is that assault?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I suppose it could be assault. But yeah, we had some of the individuals, somebody groups in NAACP and the rest coming out and downplaying this and saying no, no, no, no, again, we have a wonderful example here of more white privilege and more white racism. When it turns out it was it was not that, and it looks that way even clearly. And what makes me believe this is even more true now than it was a summers the fact that where's the legs on the story?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I know, Alex, the guy who's beat up is going to have his day in courtsun that's coming up. But you know, if this is the other way around, and there was the narrative that was started here is actually true, there'll probably be more protest and anger over this thing, because wait a minute, you're just ignoring this, you're sweeping on the rug. But because it looks like the victim they're truvic than the skins of the white guy, that store hasn't legs anymore. And that's why I think today that the march is downtown are somewhat hollow in my opinion, because of that. It's like, yeah, okay, we know racism is alive and well out there, but it's not always just white people who are racist. And if you can't admit that, then what is the point of marching for?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Doctor King believed in that that all men, all women, all children deserve an opportunity to see at the table equally. So if you just turn a blind eye to that, okay, so why are you marching today? Well, of course, all the grievances that we have, and that's all well and good, but again, doctor King's legacy when he believed in if you you know, even some of the most basic things we all remember from Doctor King and the I Have a Dream speech was about that. It's just say I just want I just want to be treated like everybody else. Well, how can you say that on the one side of your mouth and then be silent about what occurred in Cincinnati the summer? My two cents anyway, Yeah, someone else say, saw I was reading this today. I don't know if I forgot this because I you know, the older you get, the more you like history. You know, you're a kid in school, you don't give a damn about it. And now it's like, I just find it fascinating because a lot of history does repeat itself. As I have lived long enough to go, wow, this is this is something that's happened before. I kin'd got a rabbit hole. I got like a free I don't know how many weeks subscription on the newspapers dot com. So there's you know, there's Cincinnati Choir and all these papers from the you know, nineteen hundreds and early stuff. I don't go back too far because it's like reading Shakespeare. It's like, what are they saying? There's to wait, too many words here, and I don't know what all these words mean. You're red an end of those old things, or like you know, the eighteen hundreds, eighteen seventies, like, Okay, it's interesting, but I'm not quite sure. It's too for most it's too much, way too many words. Yeah, but you had the time back in the day to do that. You had time to be more articulate, more where you use all the words because you had time to look them up.
Speaker 2: Right, what else you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Got about a good eight hours a day light now four hours of daylight this time of year, I'm making. But what's funny about it, it is looking back at history. You go, wow, that's a lot of the things that happened, you know, fifty sixty seven years ago, it's true today. And then you see some little things that wind up being bigger dealing with thought, and that's that's kind of just the way history is. So started reading some of the stuff and I saw this about his Now, of course, you know about the nineteen sixty eight assassination that brought an end to his personal crusade. But a woman named Isola Wade Curry where I think Wade Wade or where Andy Way name is Isola Curry. Anyway, he was at a Parlem bookstore in fifty eight, so ten years before his assassination. That he was signing copies of a book in Harlem, I believe, and she came up to get her book signed and instead pulled out a letter opener and stabbed him in the chest. And you know, had had he moved a little bit or you know, turned away or something, it missed his A order by literally tenth of an inch, eighth of an inch, something like that. And so anyway was why he had stuck in his chest. He had have surgery rushed in and had he moved in any certain way shape or farman Back in fifty eight, we didn't know as much about medicine today, but had even sneezed, they said he probably would have ruptured his A order at that point, it would have been fatal. She miss Curry, was a forty two ye old black woman of all things, and she was again what we talk about today right mental health. She was having paranoid delusions that were focused on king, and they institutionalized her and she died a few a number of years ago. But I thought it was interesting. You know, you hear about what happened in sixty eight, but he was this close, I mean literally an eyelash away from dying at the hands of a deranged individual. Book signing in Harlem back ten years before he passed away and everything. Of course, you know they wrote and did in that up until sixty eight. Could you imagine had she been successful in that would have been meant for civil rights if at all, for sure. So anyway, something to think about, something to think about on this MLK day. So the folks out there, hopefully they're they're bundled up, got enough handwarmers, and such a little bit. Something else I saw here too, as a fan of eating, and who is not a fan of eating these days, the price of beef is going up yet again, and we're are in a meat crisis. You know, we're blessed here in Cincinnati. If you think about it, how many good, if not great steakhouses we have, And there's almost too many, because instantly you go Cincinnatio, how you think are rubies? But Tony's is right there with them. There's Marble, there's you can go on and on right in countless places, maybe not even small chains for that matter. Capitol Grill, all these places do a really really good steak, and you wonder how many of these things are gonna go away. You know, we saw Morton's close downtown. I think the death now for that one is the fact that Ruby opened up right next to him, and that I was, okay, I mean over there. I think we're there once and like gets to Chicago institution for sure, Morton's, Morton's, the Ruby's is Chicago, and they tried it. But here, for god, had a good, real, really good long run. It was just you know, kind of second floor kind of vibe to it. It was fine. But you know, once Rubies opened this thing up on Fountain Square, that's that. But uh, you know, you're starting to see like three four, five hundred dollars dinner tabs now at some of these lavish places. And you know, restaurant restaurants have razor thin margins already, Wholesale beat prices since COVID have gone up seventy percent, and so you think about the food, You think about the labor, the rant utilities, insurance, all that stuff. I mean, how much profit are you making per steak? To the point now you go in a steakhouse, and nice steakhouse for that matter, and you know the core of a good steakhouse has always been the ribbi. Right, you get yourself a ribbi. And when you see market prices on ribb what's the cost of a ribbi? It's market price, Holy crab. I think the cost have gone up like fifty percent, maybe a third to fifty percent in some cases. And so I think those people who want us eating less cows and less cows of course means less cow flatulence, which is destroying our world. Allegedly, you're gonna see more and more people shot away from beef. I know, I eat a lot less beef than I did just a couple of years ago. And I didn't really eat all that much anyway, you know, I was like a couple maybe once twice a week. And now it's probably even more rare, no pun intended, than that, simply because the cost of it is you look at it and go wow, I think about making you know, some pot roast. You're down like forty bucks or a pot roast, I mean, parers be cheap. Now, it's like, holy crap, that's not long ago. That's what I'd be paying for. I don't know, a New York strip and a New York strip forget it. So more chicken, I guess, more chicken thighs, more chicken breast, I guess. And if that's better for the atmosphere or not, I'd have to ask your local environment. It's not quite sure if more chickens are better than a couple less cows.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's more of a treat kind of thing now, kind of It's like a steak is not turning in the lobster, but that way, Oh you're gonna have lobster. That's like an anniversary dinner kind of thing. It's gonna be the same with steak. Used to be just go, oh, I'm at Kroger, get me a steak, and right on the grill. Just eat a little less red meat, I guess. Anyway, coming up later on in the show. This morning, we just had some NFL football action, actually breaking football news with my Bills. Sean McDermott, head coach of the Buffalo Bills, has been fired. This I wouldn't say this is a head scratcher. I think what's head scratching is you look at the three coaches out of the four in the AFC North, all have been fired.
Speaker 2: Now in the.
Speaker 3: AFC East, Bill's head coach, Sean McDermott has been fired because he's appeared in the postseason eight times in his tenure, which pretty good, I mean, what eight o nine, But it's not good enough because you can't make it to the EFC Championship Game but only once in those eight appearances. And the goal is to win a Super Bowl with the talent you have. That's true any team, that's especially true here in Cincinnati. And yet, and yet Zach Taylor continues to be head coach in Cincinnati and not saying at all that's like Sean McDermott and any other head coach it's been fired. It's you know, it's the coach for sure, but a lot of it has to do with what's happening behind the scenes and talent and you know, the draft and also off seats and acquisitions and the like. And you know, we're just happy to let Zach Tayler continue doing Zach Taylor kind of stuff. Can you get you back to the Super Bowl as a question, and you know you've been there once. Okay, great, you made it the super Bowl, but it's the league is always what have you done for me lately?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I think Sean mcdery, You imagine Sean mcguy. I think if you're a Steeler fan, you probably want that guy because of his connections to you know, to the area. Not only but he's that you know, blue collar rouss belt kind of thing. He his acted work great in Pittsburgh for sure, many in Baltimore for that matter. But I could totally see that happening, and I think if we're Bendals fan, you're probably excited about the opportunity to see because if he can can win a game of the postseason, at least Tom win a Super Bowl ring. He may say that a lot to do with his predecessor, of course, and maybe riding the fumes of that, but you know, guys, still got a ring.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: Anyway, he is out in Buffalo, another head go coaching carousel continues to revolve. We'll find out if this is the move or not in a year or so. Yeah, you're just kind of wasting generational talent. But I look at this and go, Okay, well it's Josh Allen that much different than Joe Burrow. Yeah, teams that I want to win championships have no problem getting rid of the head coach and then rolling the dice and trying to find somebody new. Hell that worked out for New England one season and out with Jared Mayo, and now you got Mike Rabel and you look at Tennessee and go, what the hell are you guys thinking? Maybe doing that in Buffalo before long, who knows, I don't know, but hello, game this weekend. Speak of the Bills. They beat themselves with the turnovers, and I think that, yeah, he should have been a catch with Brandon Cooks. But you know, I got everything else that leads up to that point. This is probably why Sean mcermmock got Feeting fired because of that call. They got fired because well, the play on the field and everything else, and maybe some missed opportunities there they did not take advantage of. And as you look through this too, because New England now with you know C. J. Straut Is, he doesn't look good at all in Houston, proving that offense wins championships, not defenses. I guess maybe for me the pick of the letter right now with Seattle absolutely motor boating and steam rolling and whatever other metaphor you can use. Took care of San Francisco, though you look at Frisco and want to you know, they're just do for a rebuild behind brock Perty. Everyone's heard and they're just older. So that window felt like it closed yesterday.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: It actually slammed. Seattle rolled them what forty they put up forty one on them? I think forty one six to the final. But Sam Darnold seems like he's a real deal anyway, and I thought the RAM Chicago game is really damn good game as well. I'm not sure about Kayelo Williams, though Matthew Stafford even struggled aster. Most of the good quarterbacks actually struggle a little bit yesterday outside of Sam Darnold.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: It feels like Seattle's a foregone conclusion of the Super Bowl in your winner there. Whether it's whether they face I don't know. Denver or New England will find out. But Denver's in a world of her too because bo Nicks breaks his ankle on the second last play before the game winning field goal, my guy. Now you got to go to Jared Stidham, the backup. But Stidham, as I recall, is actually pretty good and pretty good backup that hasn't going to play too much. But he's got a week to get ready and never know, don't have much New England's not that much tape on them. Plus they're traveling to Denver, so we'll find out. But I think if it goes a courting Hoyle, I think, you know, New England walks out and goes to an AFC Championship game, just like everyone was hoping, because you know the Casey eras of Wow, great, we'll get some new blood in there. Nope, now we've got New England again. Great New England or Casey. That's what you get out of the AFC. Right there, that's what you get. We got a news update coming up in just a few minutes. We'll find out what's going on this Martin Luther King Day twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Not a lot.
Speaker 3: I know that the front end of I don't want to ruin Brian's lead story. Heres has to do with Hamburger's. You may have speaking of beef, may it may be hard to get a Hamburger and Mason today.
Speaker 2: That's a tease, is.
Speaker 5: What that is.
Speaker 3: That's a tease on the way. Ashley Vance is here to talk about the legacy of Elon Musk. We are, what a quarterway through this century, and if I were betting man right now, I'd probably put you know, seventy four years left in the century, but I would I'd probably put on I think Elon Musk at the adder near the top list, despite you know, all the baggage with Doge and I think you know, seventy four years. Hell, in five years, people are going to forget about all that nonsense and see him for what he really is. I mean, he is certainly cutting edge and tip of the spear when it comes to innovation and science, not only just with what he did with Tesla and essentially single handedly revolutionizing the automobile industry, but also i'd throw that in, you know, Twitter yet to be remained and you had to be decided. But the other thing too, is with SpaceX, which is an absolute game changer. You're lunching the say, it's not just putting you know, privately launching spacecraft and he's not the only one doing it, but the idea. We're putting satellites up there in order to initiate the future of our communication. And we have a lot more to do. But even now we've got satellite. You know, your cell phone's using a satellite like t mobiles. All those ads with Billy Bob Thornton are about, hey, we got a satellite. Now we can do that, and it's more of an SOS thing I think in some cases, but pretty soon that's how our celf service is going to work. I would think it's on between that and towers, because you know, you don't always have a line of site with a satellite, but that changes Wi Fi and everything else. So anyway, Ashley advances on that limit. Juliettershare drops by, We'll do mental health Monday today at the ten thirty and so much more on the home of the best Bengals coverage soon to be the home of the Reds seven hundred WLWD, Cincinnati. You want to be in. We's got a quote here on this MLKDA twenty twenty six on seven hundred WLW. If you're to think of a person of this center, MLK is on the last century, but a person of this center now granted we've got. We're a quarter of the way through, just over a quarter the way through, right, So another seventy four years we'll look back. Who is the person of the center. I'll throw a name in early on. An early favorite here would be Elon Musk. Now, set away all the dough stuff. But here's a guy who comes on, very brilliant man, develops a electric vehicle that reshapes the auto industry for sure, and says, hey, we don't have to charge, we'll put up our own charging stations.
Speaker 2: Cool, we did that.
Speaker 3: Then he go on and there's other things too, but SpaceX not the big one. He's launching his own satellites on the regular and comes up with starlink and satellite communication.
Speaker 2: That's going to be the future.
Speaker 3: The idea of your you know, Wi Fi just being in a room somewhere is gonna it's gonna be a satellite phones already headed that way as well. It's all Elon Musk's doing. And so when you talk about the person of the century in another seventy five, seventy four years, will it be Elon Musk?
Speaker 2: Good question. He's doing all right, he's doing our on that.
Speaker 3: Ashley Vance, who writes about this kind of a sort of bio about Elon Musk is Ashley Vance, and I think you'd agree he's probably doing okay.
Speaker 5: Huh, he's doing all right, doing all right.
Speaker 2: He's doing all right, He's doing all right.
Speaker 5: He's at a big run here the last twenty years. It's hard hard to think of another figure who cuts across so many different industries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everybody knows the name. But then no, it seems like a growing number of people hate him because what he's doing with Twitter. But it's interesting where that platform goes too. But let's focus on the on the space element here. And I think this is fascinating because in the next decade, we're going to launch in the upwards of another one hundred thousands. We've got like one hundred thousand satellites orbiting your We just keep launching satellites. At some point, you think we're going to run out of real estate there, But what's what's that really?
Speaker 2: What's the future look like? You say, Okay, we got satellites, so what does that mean?
Speaker 3: It means now we're starting to create this I don't know, sphere above the world that's actually a real estate market.
Speaker 2: Isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean in my in my new book, I call it a computing shell that we're building around the Earth. You talk about one hundred thousand satellites, I don't think most people, probably I don't realize we only had about two thousand, five hundred satellites going around the Earth just a couple of years ago. And that number is already doubled. And the one hundred thousand figure is probably gonna happen in this next decade. And so we have all these companies, really startups. I mean, space has been taken away from the governments that dominated this for so long, and this is a capitalist exercise now and they're building the next layer of our computing infrastructure right over our heads.
Speaker 3: That's amazing to me because, yeah, what five thousand satellites and we're in that business too, we kind of I don't know the details of it, but you know there's tracking their son outs, all this crazy stuff that has to do with our business, which is which is pretty old. I look at the satellite think go, this is a game changer, because you're putting so many up there. I guess the big question would be, wait, mane, we got five fou how are these things not running into each other. If you have five and you take it to one hundred thousand, are we a capacity and what are you gonna have. You can have like traffic cops and lower level orbit to make sure these things are running into each other.
Speaker 5: This is I mean, it's a real issue. There is you know, for excuse the bad Ton, there's a lot of space in space, so there is room room for these things. But without question, we're heading this new era where it's going to be so different that yes, we hope that you can manage this. There's this thing called the Kessler syndrome that people can can hop on the internet and check out, and it's this idea that you have a satellite that runs into something and it creates this this kind of cascading you know, debris that just gets worse and worse over time. But there are already startups that are are tracking all of this stuff and they are playing exactly that role you talked about. So like the air traffic controllers of all these machines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you can adjust the orbit on these things. That's not a problem now when they you know, if they the computer on board running, the computer.
Speaker 2: Itself starts to go a little whacky.
Speaker 3: Maybe you got some problems area renegade saddle, as you said, could wipe out a domino effect, and now you've got some real problems right there. But all right, so we build a huge infrastructure. What does that mean is that is that where we would get our I don't know. Wi Fi was just what we call it. Now we call something different.
Speaker 2: But where does it go a little bit?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 5: Right now, there's two major buckets that these satellites are. The jobs these satellites are already doing. One of them, there's a company in my book called Planet Labs, which is kind of amazing. They've put up hundreds of imaging satellites. So these satellites take pictures of the Earth, every spot on the Earth, all the time, every day. Not even the US, the CIA, China, Russia have this capability. And then the other major bucket is what you were talking about. Is this. We call it like the space Internet, and it's sending high speed internet down from space. Half the world still can't be reached by fiber optic cables and so you have this for the first time. I think of it as like there's always on high speed Internet, kind of washing over the earth and creating you know, this internet fabric we've kind of been talking about for decades.
Speaker 3: Right, And I think that's an important component of this too, because even in America, if you're in rural Ohio, Indiana, or Kentucky, it's awfully hard to get Internet service. And we take it for granted because we live in an urban area. You're in San Francisco, same thing. It's you know, a Wi Fi everywhere I go. It's no problem. Cincinnati, I start to get out a little bit, it's a different story entirely. This would literally get all of those people who are left off the information super highway back on it. I think of people like my in laws, for example, live in rural Ohio, and it's a constant fight for them to try and get enough enough speed to download stuff for example. This had change all that, and now you've got even more people online and on social media and probably trying to scam me out of you know, twenty dollars or you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Just gonna get work.
Speaker 3: Everything that we hate about the internet, love about the Internet, it's going to get multiplied a millionfold.
Speaker 2: This happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's there's pros and co to be sure. I mean, I mean, the data is pretty clear that once you get access to high speed internet, your education levels go up, your your economic success goes up as a country. But like this era of even if you just wanted to climb a mountain and get away from the world for a while, that that that's going away. And it's kind of and people should realize this is not This is not like a Mars colony. We're talking about this far off in the future. This is this is actually happening right as we speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the exciting part about this. This low lying low earth orbit, I think is what it's called, right, and you have these satellites that are floating around and every square into the globe is covered with that. So is that where our cell service goes? Now you're like, ooh, your cell's cutting out, you know, to three bars. You're not gonna have that problem in the future, are you?
Speaker 5: No? No, I mean this is why you know I titled this book when the Heavens Went on Sale. I mean, you're talking about lower orbits. My point is that we are building this economy, you know, right right right above our heads. And this was like an area, a territory that was controlled by just a handful of governments for like seventy years, and now all of a sudden, we're going to see a ton of services, Kelly, We're going to have this communication across the planet. We're going to understand our planets in new ways by sort of peering at it from above. So you know, I think there are these two sides to this. I think that it's at least for the moment's optimistic story.
Speaker 3: Ashley Vance is the author of Elon Musk Definitive Bio. Now is a new book out called When the Heavens Went for Sale, And we're talking about the future and what we're looking at, and that is in the upwards of we have five thousand satellites now, we're going to look at one hundred thousand satellites fairly soon, and that's going to change our dynamic when it comes to being able to access information and put disinformation out there too, because that's the good and the bad. One of the other elements too, is you're telling me all these satellites are when you look at some like Google Earth, right and you go, oh, Google Earth, I'm gonna look at my house everyone checks their heads, kind of like in the old old days. If you remember when there's a phone books came out, you look to see if your name's in the phone book.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 3: Now you looked at Oh, le'mon, look at my place where I live, and you look and go, oh, that's cool. Yeah, I built that deck like five years ago. Are we going to start being able to look at our planet and ourselves in real time?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean this is happening already. The stuff on Google Earth can be a little dated at times. With that that era is quickly ending. So this company called Planet Labs, they take about sixteen pictures of every spot on Earth every day. We'll watch kind of the sum total of human activity. It's not like espionage where you can see somebody's face, but you can you can watch oil tankers going all across the world. You can see when North Korea launches up a missile. You can even they usually saddle light to look at crops in the field and see how much chlorophyllm is in the plants and get the best yield and no one to harvest. And so we are kind of like at this era and people might be uncomfortable, but you know you're being everything's being watched all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know I said, okay, I won't be surveillance. But heck, I recall even back like in the old old days, you know, reading history and stuff like that. Now you're older, you get more interested in history. I don't know why that is. I didn't care less about it when I was in eighth grade. Now all of a sudden, it's like, you know, I'm I'm reading everything I can. And so the old satellites even you could see a license plate from outer space and that was fifty years sixty years ago. But you tell me, it's not about the surveillance. They but the technology is infinitely better. Now it's only going to get better. Isn't it really going to become de facto spyware?
Speaker 5: You know, the satellites you're talking about are these giant military grade satellites, And yes, they can see all kinds of stuff. The trick is that they're even the US only has a limited number of those satellites, and so they can they can see spots, but only when they're looking at something really specific. They're not sort of watching the broad swath of what's going on the smaller satellites as it makes people feel any better. The South Coast can only be so big on those and the resolution only gets so good, and they've had trouble just because of physics kind of advancing them beyond that point. But you raise, you know, you raise an interesting question as to where this could head.
Speaker 3: So Ashley Vance the huge question here to me, and really what drives the Internet because it's all about this, is like, how are these satellites going to influence porn?
Speaker 5: Well, you'll be able to get on the mountaintop, okay, because it's always down to that.
Speaker 3: It's like, wow, the technology or research and science saying what about porn?
Speaker 2: And because it all boils out to that at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: So no matter what the new format is, somehow they're like, oh, three D glasses, we got it, VHS tape, betamac, we got ith satellites more porn.
Speaker 5: Driver's a big driver.
Speaker 2: What drives all these pornography? Drives the satellites?
Speaker 3: Relative to Rocket Lab, I think that's a company you're mentioning too. When we talk about national security, we talk about the has and have not that's gonna you know, military obviously is huge, but the ability for nations and nation states to launch their own rockets to put their hardware in space. Is that like a new frontier? And how does something like you know, for example, the US Space Force fit into that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's one of my favorite stories from the new book. Rocket Lab is a company in New Zealand that was founded by this guy named Peter Beck. And this is the guy. You know, these rockets are essentially the equivalent of ICBMs and missiles. And this is a guy he didn't even go to college. He just did sort of rocket tree in his backyard and his shed, and and he's a brilliant engineer, but he's made he's made rockets that are successful. Rocket Lab is really the second coming of SpaceX. And so I argue in the book, you know, this is a new era where the materials have got good enough, computing's got good enough that any country with someone who's smart enough, driven enough, and access to this is We're not talking about nation state capital or billionaire capital. We're talking about a few million dollars can make a go with this now. And so it is a new era where we're going to see a lot of new space sharing nations.
Speaker 3: Well, satellites seem like they're complimentary to one another, right outside of the military ones. Are we going to have that competition in space now between different countries?
Speaker 2: Like, what's it mean?
Speaker 1: It mean?
Speaker 3: It's one thing when the United States and NATO allies launch our satellites, would mean something different when either North Korea or Russia or China launches a satellite.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, And this is already shaken out, you know. So that the company with the most satellites in space, way beyond any government is SpaceX with their space Internet system called Starlak. But Amazon wants to build the same thing, so they've got an order for about fourteen thousand new satellite. There's a company called one Web in Europe that's doing the same thing. China is not happy that SpaceX has already built the space Internet. They want to do that as well. And so we're entering this time of both companies and countries wanting to do this to kind of seize this territory. And you know, I think we're in for a very interesting next ten to twenty years as all this shit.
Speaker 2: It's a new space race, right absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean this is unlike anything we've seen before. I mean you had, you really had five governments that were moving very slow and control all this stuff for seventy years. And over the past three years you've had about two hundred and fifty billion dollars in venture capital put into commercial space.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. It's happening right under our very eyes. We can't see them, but the stuff's happening all the time. Look at the night sky and look at all the satellite junk that's flying around up there.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. One thing, you.
Speaker 5: Can see it, Yeah you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, one thing I don't know if it's in the book, and this may be outside the.
Speaker 3: Scope of it, but I thought, okay, well, we've got this sub orbital, the satellites one hundred thousand satellites, and the shelf as you call it, of information. Just below that though between there and the ground is going to be drones because those are obviously hot and heavy, right new doing a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: How does that does it relate to one another?
Speaker 5: Well, the you know just always on Internet that the satellites are setting down, I think are going to be the fabric that sort of keeps all these drones connected, that keep things like self driving cars connected. This communication network between all these new objects that we're creating, and then you know, people should know there's also I know, we had the Chinese fibulo, and there's actually there's companies working in the United States on all kinds of new high houssude balloon technology and even yeah, airships back. I mean, it's a really fascinating time in aerospace.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Ashley Vance on the show on seven hundred WLW he writes about all this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 3: If you're geeky like me and love this stuff, you want to check out when the heavens went for sale, the misfits and geniuses racing to put space within reach. It is definitely the future. Ashley Vance, thanks for joining the show.
Speaker 4: All the best, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jules is.
Speaker 3: Here on this Martin Luther King Day. And if you heard this happen before, So your adult child, you're adult child now tells you things about their childhood or maybe things that happened that you may have forgotten about don't match what money and your memories don't line up obviously, and maybe they're describing, you know, problems, hurt, loneliness, fear from moments that you probably have forgotten about or barely remember, or maybe you remember things completely differently because you're coming at it from a different perspective, and so you want to correct them, and that would be the bad move. It's validation versus agreement. And Julie is here to talk about that this morning on Mental Health Money. Julie, good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm good. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. This probably happens a lot.
Speaker 6: It happens a lot, sometimes in really big ways and sometimes just in little ways. Like you know, your kid will say, hey, do you remember when this thing happened? And you're like, yeah, that's not how I remember it at all. And sometimes it can be a much bigger conversation if your adult child has some significant problems or challenges with how they were raised. So it can happen in ways big and small. But as parents, it can really be hard for us to hear that we did anything wrong or that anything we did had a negative impact on our kids, because all we want is what's best for our children, right, and so that can be a hard.
Speaker 3: Thing to hear, of course, And of course a younger version of yourself knows a lot less in the current version, and you're also a lot more calm, especially from a guy's perspective. And there are things that you probably remember and cringe at that they have forgotten, but other things that may have happened You thought it was pretty good and it turns out it was traumatic for them. It doesn't mean you're right in there wrong or vice versa correct.
Speaker 6: It just means that you know, keeping in mind, you were the adult at the time and they were the child, So they obviously have a very different perspective of the same situation than you do. But also it's easy to wonder how they got to where they are and to want to be curious about that and to ask questions about how they ended up getting that perspective or that thinking or that feeling from that situation that felt very different to you.
Speaker 3: All right, So if you're a parent, let's start with us, how can you distinguish between validating their emotional experience what they see and accepting responsibility for harm that they don't believe they caused.
Speaker 6: Well, so validating and accepting responsibility are not anywhere near the same thing. So validating is saying, yeah, if it went down the way you say it did, I can see why that was hard for you, or I'm really sorry that that experience that I saw very differently was so difficult for you. A really great example is a vacation that parents think is terrific and kids feel they'd rather be home with their friends. They feel like their schedule was disrupted, They've got anxiety about what's coming next. They're processing a lot of novelty in their little brains. Parents think it's fabulous, they know what's going on. The kids are kind of along for the ride, and so the parents may think it was a wonderful trip, and the kids may feel it was very destabilizing. That doesn't mean it was a bad trip. That just means that they were different people, at different life stages and had different experiences of it. So to be able to say, I'm so sorry that what we thought was going to be a really great thing for you turned out not to be a really great thing for you. It's not saying you were wrong as a parent. It's just recognizing that your best intentions fell short for that child at that moment in time.
Speaker 3: Isn't that why Christmas Vacation still hits? Because that's ultimately what that movie is, right Chevy Chase wants to have everything perfect for heal for their kids. Are these great experiences and it always is a complete nightmare. That's every parent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it really can be. I had a client call me from Disney World. This was years and years ago. He was there with his wife and his children, and he said, Okay, Julie di Disney is not the happiest place on earth. She said, the kids are miserable. He said, the kids are miserable. They don't want to be here. It's too loud, it's too hot, it's too crowded. We're coming home. Disney is not the happiest place on earth. So they planned this wonderful trip for their children, and the kids were just not happy, and they came home early. That's an indication of a parent understanding a kid's experience in real time. But I could easily see later on those kids coming back and saying, you know that trip to Disney that you took us on, man, that was a nightmare. That was really hard for me, and the parent being really ascended by that or hurt by that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you spent all it's the time effort of money, because you have this great family vacation in mind, or whatever it is the event. It could be the holidays, as I mentioned to that, and it never is up to you. So you're upset and mad about it from a different reason, they are exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: And so it's important as a parent, if your child is coming to you with this kind of conversation, to try really hard not to be defensive, to try really hard not to explain your perspective or to explain the situation or to justify your choices, but just to listen to what they're telling you and get really curious about it and say, tell me more, I want to understand what that was like for you, And try to be as non defensive as possible, and stop if you find yourself getting really worked up and wanting to argue back with them, because then you're in an argument versus understanding conversation. And that's really what we want as parents, is to be able to understand where our kids are and at some point offer them our perspective. Okay, I hear you. Now, I want you to understand what it was like for me. Are you open to hearing that? And offer them that perspective at some point, but not right away. Not while they're talking.
Speaker 3: Okay, Julie hanntersh you here a licensed mental health therapist in Cincinnati. That's Mental Health Monday in the Scott Sloan Show on seven hundred WLWT. We're talking about a children when you get to this point, because everything you do as a young parent, you think, Okay, I'm trying to do the best I can, and I think kids know that. But when your adult child spits back to you, things about their childhood and their version of events are different than yours, and things that you thought were inocuous seem to be harmful to them, and vice versa. You can have that conversation. If I really want to screw that conversation up with my adult kids, what would I do?
Speaker 6: You'd get really defensive. You'd argue back, and you would compare their experience to their siblings experience, or your brother and your sister thought it was great, so what's wrong with you? You would invalidate what they're saying. If you really want to screw it up, you would invalidate what they're saying, and you would make them out to be the villain or the scapegoat, that they were the problem, that they caused all the difficulty that it was because of them that it went that way, and everybody else was faultless and blameless. So if you really wanted to screw it up, that's what you'd do, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, It's like, No, what I feel matter is I'm going to I was like, Wow, it's interesting you would say that because I didn't see that from my perspective.
Speaker 2: But I hear what you're saying exactly.
Speaker 6: And it's also important to really take a moment to reflect on you're looking at this from a distance, as they are. You are now in the present and you're looking back. But if you can put yourself back in that place, were you really as focused and present and mindful and careful and thoughtful as you think you were? Like so an example, right out of grad school, I worked with cancer patients in their families, and I had young kids at home, and I was working with life threatening illness and death at work, and I was really struggling to, like, you know, leave work and come home and be a fully present, engaged, happy, bubbly, fun mom. And so when one of my boys later in life said, you know, that was a really tough time for me, because you weren't around, and you weren't like you were there, but you weren't there. I had to reflect and say, honestly, you know, you're right, it probably wasn't. I was brand new doing this kind of work. I was working with really hard stuff, and when I came home, I probably wasn't there to the degree that I wanted to be or thought I was. I can totally see that. But that took some reflection on my part to realize that.
Speaker 3: How much of this is kicking yourself as a parent, Julian that it's like, Wow, you think of the times you could have done more, been there, or done things, and you think, hey, there's a reason why my kids And it could be social, it could be relationship, it could be job, could be substance, if it could be all these things. We tend to blame ourselves. It's like, man, I was terrible as a parent because my kid isn't successful at this, this or this.
Speaker 6: Well. I think that sometimes we parents take too much of the blame and not enough of the credit for how our kids turn out. That's not true for everybody. I know parents who take all the credit for how their kids turned out. But I think so many of us say our kids' successes are theirs and their failures are shortcomings, or challenges are hours. And I think they're partly hours, and they're partly theirs, and I think they're success us as they're partly ours and partly theirs. And I think it's important to realize that that's true for our parents as well. Like we are who we are because of how we were raised, positively and negatively, our kids are who they are because of how they were raised. And your best intentions as a parent can still be the wrong thing for one or more of your children. You can't foresee every possible follow on consequence of any decision you make. That's not to let you off the hook for making bad decisions. That's just to say, no matter how well you think you've figured it all out and thought it all through, things can happen that you didn't plan on that turn out to be not as good as you'd hoped. So it's about taking the right amount of responsibility for how your children turn out, positively or negatively, and giving them responsibility for how they turn out as well.
Speaker 3: And part of this is you taking a kind of them taking come out of those zone. So if you're an adult child and you're having this conversation or why have this conversation, I guess the question would be is it too late? I mean, if you know your parents are in their nineties and you're in your sixties, it said too late to talk about this kind of stuff, or you probably won't, I'm guessing because the longer it goes more uncomfortable, it's not only going to feel but nobody's going to remember anything.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: That may be true, and is it necessary or is it useful? That depends. So if what you're talking about is something that has impacted who you are now and you'd like your parent to understand you better, like I am this way in part because of these things that happened in my childhood when you were bringing me up, and you'd like them to understand you better. That's a valid reason if you feel like you just need to say these things. Whether your parent remembers or believes it or understands it, or whether they're going to be able to make any changes going forward or not, it's important just for you to say it to them. Hey, I am this way because of these positive things, but these challenges I have. I think they're because of this. If that's something that you need to do for yourself, that makes sense if you find that what happened is getting in the way of your relationship with them, and you'd like to have a better relationship, Clearing the air, getting some understanding, helping them know you better, and understanding maybe more about how they saw things at that period of time can really improve your relationship with at any age, whether it's ninety or whether it's sixty five. It can really help improve the relationship with your parents at any age. One of my boys and I had just such a conversation a few years ago, and things have been much better between us since.
Speaker 3: Do you say, hey, got to do some homework and think of the ways I've screwed you up, or you just have like an organic conversation, make a list, but on not more than three.
Speaker 6: No more than three, of all the ways I've screwed you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right.
Speaker 6: Well, I think if we parents are honest, we can look back and see things that we wish we'd done differently, wish we had done that we didn't, or wish we hadn't done that we did. And I think that if we can take our own inventory of how we succeeded and where we fell short as a parent. Then when our kid, and for many of us, this will happen when our adult kid comes to us and says, hey, I want to talk to you about something, and I'll tell you often it happens when they themselves have children and become parents. Then we've already done sort of an inventory of that, and we have some sense of our own of where we feel we exceeded expectations and where we feel we fell short, So it shouldn't be a huge shock to the system.
Speaker 2: What else am I missing about this generational conversation?
Speaker 6: Jalie Well, I think that the important things to remember are that children do this most of the time because they want the relationship to be better and they feel misunderstood or not known by their parent, or they feel like they don't understand why mom our dads showed up the way they did at that point in time, and they want the relationship to be better. And I think when as parents people come to us, our kids come to us and seemingly criticize our parenting, we feel like it's because they want they don't want things to be better. We feel it's negative when in fact, it's trying usually trying to reach a level of understanding, to improve the relationship, to clear the air, to declutter things, and to get some understanding between parent and child about what happened. And so if we go into it with that mindset of openness and curiosity and lack of judgment, I think that can be really helpful.
Speaker 2: Is it almost all.
Speaker 3: The cases unless there's some major event or major trauma when the parents dies or something massive happens. In most cases, is it more like things that you have forgotten about? Are they forgotten about or they had a different prayer? It was bigger for them than wes re you and vice versa.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's often bigger for them than it is for us because their children and everything is bigger for children than it is for adults, right because they don't have the experience or the perspective or the level of understanding of the world. Their world is what we created it to be as parents when they're very young, and so small things seemingly small things to us can be really big to them. But also the same thing can read differently to different children. So one of my sons, if I would say to him, I'm really disappointed in that choice you made. It would devastate him. The other one would be like, thank you for offering your opinion, Julie, I appreciate, and it wouldn't matter to him at all, right, But for the one, it would devastate. If I said I'm really disappointed, that was like a knife to the heart. So different kids in the same situation can have different reactions and perspectives to things. Also just depending on the kind of person that they are and that they are becoming. So yes, it's that their kids, we're the adults, but also they're their own people. They're becoming their own people, and so things are going to hit them differently.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that makes that makes total sense. Should you prepare for this conversation ahead of time and say, hey, we're going to sit down and talk about all they say would just simply say, hey, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, how do you how do you even open the subject?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: I think uh should open the subject mom and dad? Or are kids?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: I think it could go either way. So I think if you know as a parent that there's some distance or disconnect between you and your adult child, you can say something like I would really like to understand why we feel so disconnected. I'd really like to understand from your perspective why there's so much distance here, because I don't think it's coming from me. Maybe it is, but I don't think so, So i'd really like to understand that. But as if you're the kid, you can say, hey, listen, there are a few things about my childhood that I'm coming to understand differently or realizing or getting a different perspective on, and i'd really like to talk to you about them. Can we sit down and do that. It is best not to just blindside people and hijack them and start lobbing things at them when they're not expecting it, but setting up a time to sit down and talk, and then taking some time if you're the one being invited to the conversation, to really reflect on what my role was, what may be coming up, and how much responsibility does it make sense for me to take?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how. And as a parent too, so that we always try to do it's best for our kids. It's hard not to internalize this and take each one of these things is like a major I guess in a front to how we raise them, because I'm sure they understand it was difficult and there's no roles for this, specially they have kids of their own.
Speaker 6: Sure, and when they have kids of their own, as I said, that's often a time when these conversations come up because they're understanding things differently. They're seeing a similar situation happen with their children that happened with them, and they're recognizing how they handle it and how they may have handled it similarly or differently to the way their parents handled it. And so they're seeing the juxtaposition of being a parent versus being a kid, and it adds new perspectives to their childhood. And yeah, it can be a very difficult thing to hear from your kid that things that you did didn't work well for them. And the hardest ones, frankly, I think are the ones that you thought you nailed and they're like no, no, no, that was really bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think, right, so.
Speaker 6: We can all look back and say, wow, I really screwed that one up. I did not do that well. And your kid says you did not do that well, and you can say, no, I know, I really didn't do that well. But the things you think you crushed and they're like Nope, that was an epic fail. Those are the hard ones because your perspectives really diverged there in a very big way.
Speaker 3: Well, instead of looking this like an exit interview, you probably should look at this as like, hey, you know what, you're an adult like, we're moving to a different phase of our relationship, and the way to move forward with it is having this conversation.
Speaker 6: Exactly and to understand how and why things happen the way they happen. Usually when kids have these conversations with their parents, they want to tell them their perspective, but then they also really want to hear what was going on for mom or dad at that point in time. Why did you choose this? Instead of that, I want to understand you better too, not just I want to load all unload all of this junk on you and then walk away. They're looking for some reconciliation, some understanding, some greater connection. That's usually why they're doing it, and so keeping that in mind can keep us as parents in the right headspace.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: She's Julie hattersh here, a licensed mental health expert. Here on the Scotsland Show every Monday morning, It's Mental Health Monday with Julie, It is really informative. I think a lot of people listen and go, wow, I probably should have this conversation, or maybe if you're not all kid, it's like, it's never too late to do this. So yeah, you can always you can't fix or you can't I guess change what happened, but you can fix the way things are moving in the future. And some closure as well. All the best have a great appreciate you, thank you. How about some news We do that in three minutes here on seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: You want to be in a.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's lonely on seven hunter w ALW. What a wonderful time to be alive. Then again, maybe it's not a wonderful time to be alive. You know, we have this era of communication that we're in riding. We get so much information from all sides at all times, half of it fake, other half of it real. You know who to believe at any one time. And we live in an atmosphere too. When you say something or post something now on social you open yourself up for a tax like we've never seen before. Whether you know, everyone's a title of theirn opinion but not their own facts. Right, and even just posting your opinion you can get broiled pretty good. So in that regard too, despite this wonderful avenue of communication, we have a paradox and that is a lot of people are afraid to voice their opinion because you're afraid people will reject you. And there's something that's driving this thing, and it's called the weaponization of loneliness. Absolutely fascinating. Stella Moribidos on the show to talk about it this morning on se on under WLW Scots Sold show.
Speaker 2: Stella, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 7: Good morning? Thank you, I'm fine. I hope you're doing well too.
Speaker 3: You know, someone could take that question just to me, asking how are you and you said I'm fine, and someone if you posted that on the I don't know, Twitter or the Gram or Facebook or whatever it might be, someone would attack you for saying I'm fine.
Speaker 2: And that's what you're.
Speaker 3: Talking about, right, is no matter what you say, there's someone out there lurking that's going to take those words, use it against you, or counter those claims and really try to ruin your day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a crazy, upside down world we're living in right now. And thanks so much for having me on to talk about my book, The Weaponization of a Loneliness, because I believe that basically my thesis is that all of these crazy agendas that we are dealing with today that have turned into crazy policies is because of self censorship. And that self censorship happens when we're fearful of being ostracized for expressing what we really think or believe, or what we even see before eyes. And you know this, this fear is easily exploited and has been exploited for many decades. And you know, people are kind of like waking up and saying, how do things get crazy with all these different agendas, you know, the transgender thing, and you know, extreme environmentalism and all that. And I believe it's because we have for way too long shut up about what we believe, or even lie about what we believe a lot of people do that to avoid rejection or to get some kind of sense of status and acceptance.
Speaker 3: I was equated Stella to It's kind of like the Thompson's gazelles, right, and everyone it's a social thing. First of all, we're a tribal society, right, we need companionship and socialization.
Speaker 2: I get that whole thing.
Speaker 3: But the streaming that is now, it's like you're heard of Thompson's Gazelle's where you know, the line will pick off the weakest one, the one that's kind of floating away from the flock.
Speaker 2: And no one wants to be that thompson gazel.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I want to you know, I may look at something, whatever ideology I subscribe to, right, and even though I think, uh, I you know a lot of it's starting to get wrong and it's it's misguided and it's erroneous. But I'm afraid to step out of that and go, yeah, I don't want to criticize part of my herd because I don't want to be that Thompson's gazelle that gets thrown out of the herd and eaten by the line.
Speaker 7: That's right. Yeah, it's you know, it's a very hardwired impulse, right, you know, to avoid being cast out or to avoid being the one that you know has made an example of. And but we have to stand back and understand that, you know, even as bystanders were not safe. If you know, if things get to a tipping point as they seem to have gotten today, you know, with you know, political correctness and the fear of speaking out and speaking you know, what we believe. So what happens when we keep when people keep shutting up about what they believe. Over time you get something that, uh.
Speaker 5: There's a model that Elizabeth Noel Newman.
Speaker 4: Brought up.
Speaker 7: Identified in a book she called the Spiral of Silence. And what happens is that there's this illusion of public opinion that's not really true. It's an illusion that's been built through the silence of people who are fearful of expressing what they really believe. And we've got to snap out of it. We've got to understand that free speech is use it or lose it. And when we keep re re you know, reflexively responding to these demonization campaigns, and that's how it's done by tyrants. They they have campaigns, usually with slogans. There's you know, there's one hundred different things that they say, you know, whether it's bigot or now it's like election denier or you know, primate change denier. You know, goes on an anti vaxxer, you name it, conspiracy theorists. People become reflexively fearful of being identified that way, and so they shut up, and that's very dangerous. It's a very very dangerous. Yeah, it's phenomenon that got us to where we are today, I believe.
Speaker 3: And now Stella Marbeter, do you think the reason why that is too? It seems like it's worse now than ever before, but that's always every generation, right, the world's ending.
Speaker 2: I don't understand what the nation is in danger.
Speaker 3: Democracy is going to fall, and you know that's I think that's just people who have been around the block don't understand the new movements that are going on because America is always in the state of flux.
Speaker 2: We can get to that one.
Speaker 3: But I look at what you just said and I couldn't agree more that. You know, it's the and I think the problem too, And see if you agree with this is because of things like social media's I pointed out, there's so many platforms and so many opinions on those platforms that I think most people, Okay, maybe I'll check my feed once in a while looking for you know, kittens playing pianos and funny videos of people guys getting hit the stones and stuff like that, Whereas a lot of the content out there and it's just so toxic and vitriolic that that I think people there's so much noise that people are starting to tune it out. A lot of people in the middle just like I don't I don't want to clutter my mind with all that stuff, and so what's left the extremes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I think yeah, I think that, And that would be a very good thing if people started really tuning tuning that out, because the social media technological communications in general is what has really magnified all of this polarization and all of this uh uh separation or isolation. Of course, COVID fast tracks a lot of that by actually enforcing our isolation and basically forcing people to get on you know, get on their devices because they're you know, isolated and there the rest and all that. But I think you're right that as people can start to see through it, you know it, they will hopefully develop more face to face, one on one, you know, relationships, which is really what will save us. I think, I think that living a virtual life versus real life is kind of what got us here and what made us so successible to these dynamics that you know, where Tyrone's exploits are. Fear of being ostracized, that it. You know, when people are able to say what they believe, they could be pleasantly surprised that those who have shut up for so long will say, oh wow, you know, I thought it was all alone. And you know, and even if the person is you know, the you know, woke or whatever, you've watered down the stereotype of what they expect. You know, when you know, just somebody in daily life that that you encounter and you expressed what you believe, it will have a very healthy effect if if we start using our our you know, our constitutional right to free speech.
Speaker 3: Stella moribido with the weaponization along in this this morning on seven hundred w LW explaining how we got to this state right down the components and the great the visitness that we have in this world in America specifically Stella, how much did in the last four years did COVID have to do with this and being isolated there?
Speaker 7: Yes, oh yeah, yeah, being isolated uh and forced and but it wasn't just that. It was a lot of the hostilities that were cultivated, uh you know, sadly through our so called leaders uh, you know, with the whole all the mandates and everything. People would you be accused of being an anti vector or not allowed at the Thanksgiving table, and and it created a lot of un necessary and very damaging hostilities, you know, during COVID. But yeah, I think that people, you know, to a certain extent, people are waking up with you know, having had that extra time on their hands. And on the other hand, there are people with time on their hands, who are you know, pushing a lot of this or a lot of this exploitation that you know. Of course, we got here through almost one hundred years of something called you know, cultural Marxism, where almost one hundred years ago there were discussions about you know, doing that long march through the institutions. And of course, as you can see, most our institutions have been subverted over time, especially education, and because education was subverted, all the other institutions that require credential, whether it's law or you know, the courts or the legislatures or you know, medicine. I mean, you know, all of that is you know becoming corrupted as a result. So that that's kind of where we are. But so the main institutions that we have to protect and what I believe have always been the big prize of the solitarians are those institutions that protect us from the mass state. That would be family, faith, and community, I mean true community, friendship and and volunteerism and the local level that is so important to uh, you know, it all begins at the local level, the preservation of freedom. And so you know, when we if we can, we could take there's a lot we can take heart from in that. But we have to protect that private sphere of vice because that's where that's where our real power is. And you know, our relationships.
Speaker 3: Orbido on the show on seven hundred WLW weaponization a loneliness. So where's this going is? Is this gonna all come to a head? Does it continue to get worse where we.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that we can put a stop to it if we begin on the local level to you know, to in all of our relationships, to say what we really believe. And there's you know, those of us who have strong relationships to fall back on. I mean a lot of people don't, like you know, there's a lot of family brokenness that has affected youth and uh, you know, faith and community. But those of us who can fall back on those strong uh, you know, the sanctuaries of relationships, have to lead the way and have to start, uh, you know, speaking out about what we believe. Because as I said before, where is it leading West Brian? Uh, free speeches, use it or lose it, and uh, you know, it can lead. It definitely leads to tyranny if we if we stop using our rights, our constitutional, unalienable right to to speak freely about what we believe. That's what allows the real truth to to come out. And uh So anyway, that's that's that's what I would say. I mean in my books, the weaponization loneliness. I kind of trace the the history of these dynamics from the French Revolution on I, you know, and I look at the science, the conformity, you know, experiments of Solomon Asks and many others, uh and uh and the institutional subversion. But at the end of the day, it really falls on us as individuals too, you know, to learn to to speak out in the you know, despite all of this, uh, you know, all all the pressures, all the pressures too, you know, to exploit our fear of being isolated ostracized.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the new mccarthy'sm except it's it's more not only more global, but more encompassing than just McCarthy's as a small sliver of it right back in the fifties, because you know, we have the wolf culture. Now if you tweet or say anything mean that someone's going to tell you safe spaces and all a little nonsense. Then you have Twitter, so you know, well pre musk anyway, now we're going to go after what people are saying or you know, trying to fact check people's opinions and how far do you want to slice that apple to the point of absurdity. But you're right, you know, if you let people see and speak freely, even if it's erroneous or misguided, and then let public opinion debated and argue it and get some of the finer points out there, I think that success. When you try to shut down free speech even if you disagree with it, we're shredding the Constitution again. Stella more Abido's on the show this morning on seven hundred WW. It's called the weaponization of loneliness, Tyrant stoke our fear of isolation, the silence, divide and conquer. Absolutely fascinating and spot on.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, you betch them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know the discussion about TikTok bands, some countries banning social media stortain ages and the like. I think, you know, future generations are going to learn from this and go, Okay, we can't believe everything we see. Maybe we will become more grounded in a sense and become more suspect of things rather than being the sheeple that we are. And also knowing the fact that most of the stuff posting, a lot of the crazy stuff out there are bots. Anyways, and I've been real people.
Speaker 2: We got to get a news update in It's a Scott Sloan show.
Speaker 3: When or return. James Repene is here. We had football this weekend. What we have football? The AFC NFC championship games are set a lot of controversy rolving around my bills, but not just.
Speaker 2: There, but elsewhere too. The pair of the NFL is absolutely incredible. You couldn't script it any better, which makes people go, you know they script all this stuff right, speaking of controls on social media. Incredible.
Speaker 3: We'll set the stage next James Rapine from Bengals Talk dot Com and Lockdown Bengals.
Speaker 2: Just ahead.
Speaker 3: We'll also preview tonight's National Championship game as Indiana looks to make it a perfect season in Miami. Details coming up Scott's Loan show seven hundred W. Scott's Loan here on seven hundred WLW. The championships are set in the National Football League AFC. It's New England at Denver, and then Seattle will host the Rams on the NFC side and determine who is going to go to the Super Bowl. We also have the College Football National Championship game tonight and IU which everyone here is pulling for. I know I am against number ten Miami home game for them, but it feels destined that I you should win this thing. We'll get into that and more and just minutes here James Rapeen is standing by James of course with Bengals Talk dot Com locked on Bengals and Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 2: James, good to have you back, brother. How are you?
Speaker 8: I'm great?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 2: I'm fine?
Speaker 3: Much rather be talking about the Bengals headed towards the AFC Championship again. But there's some lessons here. We'll get into that for our Bengals. Let's just start maybe talk a little bit about the four games over the weekend with den Well, all right, let's just pull the band aid off. My Bills got beat by Denver in overtime in a thriller thirty three thirty and the loss thirty three thirty. The final straw for ownership in Buffalo is Sean McDermott is no longer head coached, removed from duties as head coach of the Buffalo Bills. And I'm sure some are saying, well, the roughs cost him his job. And I'll preface this by saying, you know, when you commit as many turnovers as boneheaded plays, Josh Allen was very un Josh Allen like with a few of these plays. You had James Cook, who is the league's leading rusher but all the leagues leading fumbler as a running back. That though, those are problematic. But what everyone's talking about, of course, is the third and eleven from the Bills thirty six. Alan throws a deep ball to Brandon Cook's eighty five year old Brandon cooks it looks like he makes a catch, he falls the ground, there's contact and Jakwan McMillan, their cornerback, comes up with the ball, rips it out for the ant. Sean McDermott calls for a time out. They said, can you review the play, they said no, and I'll be damned if I'm not watching that in New England game and guess what happened, James, same damn play and they rolled it a catch for New England.
Speaker 5: Here we go.
Speaker 3: It makes it worse because it's New England. So give me analysis that is it overblown?
Speaker 2: Did they get it right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think they did get it right. I think it's really close and when you slow it down, it's easy to look at it and be like, oh, well, clearly he had possession. Clearly he's down, like I've seen screen captures and all those things. But that's about it. What it was is the cornerback was pulling it away from the cook to earth. They were falling and pulled it away from Cooks and you're probably about a half skin away from it being a complete catch and saying they caught it at the same time or whatever and giving the tide of the offense. I actually do think they got it right, and and I totally get what you're saying, because yeah, they did have it. It was in the Rams game DeVante Adams over the middle and DeVante's going down and.
Speaker 2: That one tooland game as well. It's like it.
Speaker 3: And that's so NFL right that they're like, okay, but they took time, they looked at that stuff. That's you know, you can make a case, Okay, hey did he have it. I you know, I'm a Bills fan. I'm gonna say he made the catch and we got screwed because that pushes the narrative that it wasn't us, it was them and it's us against the world. I get that kind you know, every team has that attitude. But the fact that they didn't go okay, hold on, just let's take a beat here. It's it's over time. Let's just take a beat and look at this thing like they do. They didn't do that, and that's now what the unemployed Sean McDermott was saying.
Speaker 8: Sure, and they absolutely should have done that. To your point, Yeah, they absolutely should have reviewed it because that call, it's like any angy of those calls in overtime, it's going to decide the game. If that's rule they catch, the Bills are in the AFC Championship Game. Yeah, and the Bills are the ones that are going to New England now a divisional match up with a Super Bowl appearance on the line. So yeah, I think that's the part that would be the most frustrating to me, is if you're going to have to replay and you're going to have all these resources, you need to make sure that it's right. And I believe that they got it right, but you still want to check to make sure right.
Speaker 3: It's not like it's, you know, second last game of the season. It doesn't matter that that this means something. And I will say this, it's interesting. My brother and his wife went out to the game, went out to Denver for it, and he said after it's like so many Denver fans are sitting in bars and they're like, man, that was a catch. So even Denver fans are like, well, you guys got to thank for us, But you guys got kind of job there.
Speaker 2: If this story couldn't get more bizarre.
Speaker 3: In Denver Advancity the AFC title game, Bo Nicks breaks his ankle on the second or last play before the game winning field goal. So Jace Jared's did him. The backup has a week to get ready. That's unprecedented.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: How do you do that?
Speaker 8: It's either going to be a Disney movie for one way, or a Disney movie the other way, and it's you know, I I think it's one that is a local tide of this. And I wrote this yesterday that the Denver Broncos they believed in Jared Sidham and they paid him a two year, twelve million dollars deal. And so that doesn't mean that he's going to play well in the AFC Championship team against New England. But what it does mean is they they gave themselves an actual quality backup option, which you want to have, and you never know what could happen. And it's really unfortunate what happened. What happened at bot Nick h Really honestly, I thought, I thought Sean Payton has throwing the ball far too much. When you see the ball fifty times of boone, next run the ball a little bit more.
Speaker 4: They didn't.
Speaker 8: And uh yeah, So now how do you find your way to a super Bowl? You're four quarters away and you have Jared Sidham, So it's a it's a tough ask. On the other side if you're New England and you're like, hell, yeah, we have Jared Siddam, so we have to go up right right.
Speaker 3: And there is a much film on him yeah, are they going to scheme here? And that's also a home game for the Broncos too, Let's not lose that one. New England gets there to play the Broncos. By beating Houston twenty eight to sixteen, he could kind of feel this coming in Houston. Defense is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud does not look like the CJ. Stroud of a couple of seasons. Go four picks and just didn't look He looked as bad as he did in Pittsburgh. I think didn't.
Speaker 8: Yeah he did, I mean worse I was. I don't know what's going on, Troy. It's been a few times on the broadcast mentioned he may have a hand injury. I don't know, man. I just awful, I mean awful quarterback back. I guess that's the one thing if you're Denver, Jared Stadham can't be worse than c J. Stroud. Yeah, so you have that as a floor. He's he was so promising as a rookie and I sink back to that game here that he had and that was kind of the beginning of the CJ. Stroud rookie experience where the Houston Decans gone to make the playoffs. That year they win a playoff game, and they won a playoff game in each of his first three seasons. But this year was obviously because of the defense last week in Pittsburgh and then this week. I don't know, because now they're going to decide whether or not to pay him like he's he's eligible for a contract extension. Can you imagine paying CJ. Shouts fifty million dollars per year after that? I don't think I could do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: You know, this air has been over for a while, James, and for those who are just kind of casual with it, it's you know, the Texans have a super Bowl caliber defense, no question, but it's offensive wins championships. If you don't have CJ. Stroudter quarterback that's capable, you ink in advance Seattle, speaking of which looks like the real deal. H the foregone conclusion is that they're the super Bowl champs this year. Forty one six. They put San Francisco out of their misery. It kind of looks that San Francisco as a team looked like Aaron Rodgers. This was like the last gasp, right, They're only put up six on the net they're rebuild mode behind brock Party.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels that way.
Speaker 8: You know, they had a lot of injuries, and you know, I thought that they had a chance going in the wild card round and then you go in and you lose George Kittle and that's just the next injury, and it's like they just they just don't have enough on all. You know, And you're right, you're right about offense winning championships. A lot of people listening probably disagree with that, maybe roll their eyes. It's exactly what happens in today's NFL. You have to have dudes around your quarterback and when they walk Kittle, I knew it would be enough hill climb and you flip it seattle Man. They didn't even that. They did that in Jackson Smith and Jigbuk didn't. It's not like he had a huge game. They leaned on the run game. Cam Donald only threw it seventeen times. He didn't have to do a lot, and so you got Kenneth Walker running for three touchdowns. Cooper cup led them and receiving. Guess what, Cooper Put's not going to leave them in receiving this week. They're gonna be able to lean on that passing game that they need to and so yeah, there, their defense is really good. They're well coached. Obviously they had Mike McDonald and what was the Ravens defensive coordinator before going to Seattle. It's a really, really tough matchup for.
Speaker 3: The Don't see a lot of flaws here with Seattle, right because you know defense, as we mentioned, I think it went forty four points to six teams at face over the last seven games. At force some turnovers like crazy, and you know, the Seahawks have an eight game winning streak round. It's just the hot hand and they're going to ride this on the back of Sam Donold, who looks like the real deal.
Speaker 2: They are going to face.
Speaker 3: Once again against these It's the parody and also the script to the NFL. They started this run when they overcame a sixteen point fourth quarter deficit to win an ot in the RAM against the Rams in Week sixteen, and they have them in the NFC Championship game and they dispatch Caleb Williams, and Caleb Williams a little like mister do mister don't. He makes an incredible pass on fourth and four. It's like a fifty yard pass to get fourteen yards because he backpedals much hills, hits colek Met in the corner. People are going nuts in Chicago, converts a fourth down and OT and then throws his third pick of the game to give up the game winning field.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: He was so good.
Speaker 2: And then he looked so bad. Yeah, and and that.
Speaker 8: That throw that decision. It's it's tough because it with DJ Moore, was he supposed to keep running. I haven't seen the post game comments.
Speaker 4: I turned it on. It was obviously.
Speaker 8: To me, Yeah, it felt that way too. And what I would say is I'm just so impressed with Caleb Williams and how he how he responded. I mean that fourth down, I have no idea how he made that play. I just I was like, all right, well, this is how it's going to end. Like the moment he started running backwards, I was like, oh my god, Like, there's just no chance. And there are some quarterbacks on the planet that can make those kinds of plays. And so for them to win as many close games as they did and continue to do what they did down the stretch of these games, I think you can really build on that as the heck of a year for New Bears. I think there are a lot of scenarios where after that player they win.
Speaker 3: Caleb Williams to me, just doesn't look like I don't know, it seems like he's regressing here to some degree, because yeah, you talk about the heroics there, but three of his picks they turned into ten points. That's plenty when you win twenty to seventeen. Matthew Stafford, who is one of the MVP favorites, if not the favorite right now, he struggled for the middle part of that game.
Speaker 2: By the way he did.
Speaker 8: He did. That's that's what was a bit odd, I would say to me, is how much of a defensive flood.
Speaker 4: Test that was?
Speaker 8: And I think it's a reminder that these playoff games sometimes they are ugly. You know, you could be a great quarterback and turn them all over like Josh Allen did or Cayleb Williams did, And I'm not saying they're in the same category as Matt Stafford did. And he got away with one or two almost interceptions as well. And uh, I mean usually comes down to a big play like that, right, So your defense, you need playmakers in your offense. You need guys that are gonna be able to step up and make a player or two and and that's what happened. I mean after the interception, made a big play to get them downfield and as they were working their way in the field goal range.
Speaker 4: So it's, uh, it's gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 8: I do think that rams Seahawks, that they played two great games, that's gonna be good. Round Round three should be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sam Donald the best quarterback of the weekend by far, and again that was that was just an absolute Uh. They got trucked, is what happened there?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So that's AFC NFC Championship. Tonight we have well college football final game of the Year, National Championship Game number one IU, which everyone on here is loving.
Speaker 2: I'm loving.
Speaker 3: I you against Miami. It's a home game for them, but screw Miami. I hate Miami.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 3: The only chance that this city's going to see a championship in Miami, of course, just tonight, because the Dolphins ain't got it going on for sure.
Speaker 4: I say, go, I you and I'm right with you. I'm rooting for them.
Speaker 5: I hope they do it.
Speaker 9: It is really hard to get in this position, even with the coach they have, even with Nil and Mark Cuban and all those things happening. I hope they finish it because this might be their only chance to do this, and maybe not, maybe they have other chances. But Fernando Mendoza is about as likable of a guy as you can have. He's going to be the number one pick.
Speaker 8: He's going to go to Las Vegas, which is kind of wild to me when you see his personality in his interviews, but that's what's going to happen. So we'll see if he can get a national championship one tonight. And yeah, I don't know anyone rooting for Miami.
Speaker 2: Other than in my well.
Speaker 3: I mean, it certainly is the you know, they're the dog of college football playoffs because they beat a seven to six and the number two in Ohio State. But my god, the Hoosiers have just steamrolled everybody, I mean, right, thirty eight three in the Rose Bowl, fifty six against Oregon, and no one is stopping Fernando Mendoza in this defense. And it's so good that even Kurtz Signetty may smile at some point.
Speaker 8: He might, he might have he might smile a little bit. I love his mindset and his attitude. You never know where he's going in interviews, and a lot of what he says is is relatable in a lot of ways. But it certainly I never thought Indiana football would be the Indiana you know. It's just it's wild. So, yeah, Miami, they're the underdogs on paper right because of the season. Let's be honest, from a from a program standpoint, it's not close. Historically, Indiana was nowhere near this, and so if they could finish this off, what a what a run it would be?
Speaker 2: It should be a blowout tonight.
Speaker 8: I mean, I hope it's a good game because I reached the good games in the one game I didn't finish over the weekend. Guess which one?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 3: No reason, no reason, I turned that off, Like first quarter'm I like, okay, this is gonna There's no way it just gets over. No chance, no chance. So all right, that's uh seven thirty tonight, right, seven thirty. I believe that, yeah somewhere around there. Anyway, Well, the pregame started yesterday, so we're good.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: James Rapine, of course, our guy over at Bengals Talk dot com and lockdown Bengals. Why don't we get together next week and chop up and see who's going to this little Super Bowl preview, if you will, and talk about officiating and turnovers and everything else, because that was a weekend full of it, for sure.
Speaker 2: But I appreciate you. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it seven seven thirty. There you going to look it up seven thirty tonight. I'll be watching for sure. Appreciate man.
Speaker 4: I have a good one, thanks, Gott.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're rolling the news and uh, I don't know Willie's here today.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. I think ken Brew is here actually, so we'll do that right after news on this MLK day, Sloany, home of the best Bengals coverage, Home of the Reds. We're inside that what almost sixty day market this point, pretty close to it anyway. Seven hundred WWD, Cincinnati,