Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Well, when I need a baseball spiritual cleansing, a man of righteousness, I come to see my guy Don Mattingly.
Speaker 2: Don, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: Great to see you, and you haven't aged a single day since we last saw you in a Dodger uniful.
Speaker 3: A lot from the inside. It's just totally corroding.
Speaker 1: Did you ever expect to be in this position again, Don managing?
Speaker 4: I really didn't, you know. I went to Philly really with kind of just doing really what Dave you know, kind of you know, thought about the role.
Speaker 3: For me. It's just an experienced guy with this club.
Speaker 4: To help Thomps as much as I could, And so I can't say I thought about it at all. I really thought we'd be get off to a better start and I just be doing my job on the other side of the bench.
Speaker 1: Don Mattingly taught me two things that stand out the most while he was managing the Dodgers. Number one, don't ever go into another manager's dugout.
Speaker 3: That's the truth.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I still feel that way.
Speaker 4: Try to anybody ask me about a decision or something the other team did. I'm like, uh, try to stay out of his dugout. I don't know what's going on over there. Number two.
Speaker 1: You said, it's not about the team's record, it's about when you catch that team. So when are the Dodgers catching the Phillies? Uh?
Speaker 3: Okay, I think. You know, we come out of San Diego.
Speaker 4: We we swept those guys, but we didn't really score. We had we've been we've been had more trouble, I think putting runs up.
Speaker 3: In general, we were able to keep San Diego down.
Speaker 4: The series before against Cleveland, we got three you know, really well pitched games and we didn't really score, so that hurt us. So they're catching us, okay, I think, But we're always you know, we're always pretty good because we we throw the ball pretty good.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Zach Wheeler.
Speaker 1: You got Christopher Sanchez making Oral Herscheizer very nervous these days, Donnie very nervous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he should be, he should be.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bryce Harper, we take for granted that first base is a new position to him. Obviously you are a pretty good first baseman in your day, now that you're with the Phillies, even when you were the bench coach.
Speaker 2: How much have you worked with him?
Speaker 1: How open has he been to try to get better there with you being on the same side.
Speaker 3: No, he's been open, very open. I think he wants to be good over there.
Speaker 4: He's gotten dinged a little bit by some of the metrics this year early just because of some balls that got through in the hole, and you know, it felt like we needed to push him further off the bag.
Speaker 3: So that's one thing we've tried to do recently. But he's been great.
Speaker 1: When you look at Freddie Freeman, a guy that is on his way to the Hall of Fame, he's kind of Don Mattingly asked, not looking for the home runs, a good defensive first baseman.
Speaker 2: The list goes on and on. When you think of Freddie Freeman, what do.
Speaker 4: You love about the way he's played his career now, Freddie's I've seen way too much of Freddie in Atlanta there when I was in Miami. So Freddy's guy just gets big hits all the for me, all the time, Like I hate seeing him out there with men in scoring position. Really good defender at first, he'll steal a bag on you if you don't pay attention. So Freddie's just kind of that day in, day out guy that just keeps footing up numbers.
Speaker 2: Donnie.
Speaker 1: Last year you were part of John Schneider's staff with the Blue Jays. Something that nobody seemed to really point out or put a spotlight on was Game one of the World Series, lineup cards are exchanged and John Schneider gave you the lineup card to go out there to exchange. How much did that mean to you?
Speaker 4: It was pretty cool. It was fun. You know, it meant a lot to get to the World Series. Honestly, that's something that you fight to get to and have an opportunity to win. Obviously that didn't happen. But being able to get to my first World Series and then Snide you know, want me to do that, it was It.
Speaker 3: Was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Were you surprise that gesture?
Speaker 3: I was?
Speaker 2: I was when you spring it on you.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's probably way too nervous for that.
Speaker 1: Also, when you lose a seven game World Series, obviously it's tough to get over. How long did it take you to get over it?
Speaker 3: It took a minute, you know, it really did.
Speaker 4: And not so much for myself really more for our team bocause those guys played really hard. We accomplished a lot, played great in that World Series, I thought, And so you feel bad for our guys, you know, those guys were you know, obviously, when you want something bad and you've worked hard for it, it's crushing when you don't get it and you're you know, it's within your grasp. So that was that was a tough time. But I think of it more not so much for me personally, but more for our players.
Speaker 1: When you look back at it, does it hurt when you hear people say how great of a World Series it was? Is that any consolation or can you appreciate just how much that did for the game of baseball?
Speaker 3: Uh, it's not much of it.
Speaker 4: It's not really a consolation because you know you're you're there to win it. But I think as you get further away from it, you realize how great of a series it was.
Speaker 3: Back and forth the.
Speaker 4: Eighteen in game out here, you know, then we bounce back and get two to get back to Toronto. So many great plays in that series, and some quirky stuff too, like it always always seems to happen the ball bounces one way or the other, so yeah, you appreciate it more when once you get away from it a little further.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't say it's a consolation prize, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Don Mattingly is our guest.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, I thought it was fitting your first game back in LA as the manager of the Phillies. Clayton Kershaw happened to be here front row. Did you catch him?
Speaker 3: I didn't, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I heard that. I heard that later. Actually, Lorie told me that Clayton was there. I guess his kids were with him and stuff, because I've seen a f you guys kind of chatting.
Speaker 2: Over there, and I was like a figure out who else.
Speaker 4: You know, some celebrit there right in LA. But no, I didn't. Hope I get a chance to see him. I don't know if he's still here or not. I'll let him know that you were looking for him, I was.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 1: Can you describe the relationship that you had with him? Because you were managing Peak Kershaw And I'm not afraid to say that maybe peak stubbornness of Kershaw there were a lot of moments where he didn't want to come out of games. You guys had some tough conversations. But how did your relationship endure all that where he has the utmost respect for you?
Speaker 4: No, it was always good, and i'd tell guys, I don't I never get mad when a guy doesn't want to come out of the game. Obviously you don't want him to show you up on the mound, but you're not asking guys to be happy to be coming out of the game. And remember Clayton told me one time, he said, you take me out whenever you think he goes, but don't take me out because you think I'm tired, Because he says, I don't get tired, right, So I'm like, oh, get girls. So I always like that. Thanks a lot for the time. It's great to see hard Dave.
Speaker 3: You too.
Speaker 2: We won't get too emotional here, you know.
Speaker 3: Kissing Dave.
Speaker 2: None of that. Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Don Mattingly will receive a gift card that works to Capitol Grill. Thanks a lot, all right, thanks Dave. There he is the man, Don Mattingley. Some people go to work in some high rise, some vacation.
Speaker 2: At the Gulf of Mexico. But this guy's with the Phillies and the dugout. You like that way?
Speaker 3: Too dramatic. Dave, you said that like you're on
Speaker 2: TV Don Mattingley, always keeping me honest.