Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: Fis a Spring training Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Here we Go, Jenn we Go running.
Speaker 5: Back, hosted by Dodgers insider David Bassi.
Speaker 3: Oh Yeah, three pet in the Mexic.
Speaker 5: Get in on the show called eight sixty six, not eighty seven, two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Bassin.
Speaker 2: It is a very special Dodger Talk from downtown Phoenix. The Arrogant Butcher is hosting a five seventy LA Sports. We got a great show for you tonight from a very vibrant downtown Phoenix. Andre Ethier is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. He's taking photos. He has that that bronze.
Speaker 3: Glow that every but he loves to see.
Speaker 2: He's got a fancy alo white T shirt on crew neck, not v neck. But we've got a great show for you tonight. Ethier is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. I want to say thank you to all our partners and friends here. No word of the Ethier Ethier, please, there's there's technical equipment here. Could you please go around? We'll get you in a second. I want to say thank you to our friends at Superior Grocers. Not sure if Andre Ethier is going to give the word of the day. He has several very descriptive words about yours, truly, hopefully we don't get to that. I want to say thank you to our friends at Strauss Chilchren's Hospital, Los Angeles. Where's my guy John? It's my guy John here? How about Verizon? Where are you guys? At Supporo? I love Soupporo. I love Supporo. You could send a whole case to my house. Chumash Casino, I love Chumash. I drove by it on the way out here. I've been taking the freeway out here to the desert.
Speaker 3: Chumush, Chumush. It looked like chewash.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Anyway, Daniels jewelers making diamond dreams come true. So they're all here, we'll give them another shout out a little bit later, andre Ethier joining us at the bottom of the hour. And yes, the sales queens themselves, Tracy Murray and Julie Martsky are here as well, trying to play cool with Andre Ethier in the house.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Here's a warning. Don't look Ethier in the eye. That's my thing, man or woman. Do not look Ethier in the eye. You will melt.
Speaker 3: Do not do it.
Speaker 2: That's a rule, all right. I got bad news and good news. Bad news for the rest of Major League Baseball. The Dodgers are better than what they were last year when they won back to back World Series championships. Yeah that's true. Yeah, that's bad news for everybody else. The good news for everybody in Los Angeles is I am very confident the Dodgers will be in the World Series again this year, and if everybody is healthy, have a great chance to do something that has only been done two other times in modern baseball history, and that is to three pete. Can anybody tell me the two other teams that have threepeeded in Major League Baseball and modern baseball history.
Speaker 3: Here, some of you may not have been born.
Speaker 2: One was the seventies Yankees. David Howard was around for that. Seventies A's you were around for that, right, David Howard, You're around for that. Think about this There's even some people that are twenty two years old in college right now don't remember the Yankees th repeating in nineteen ninety eight to two thousand.
Speaker 3: So the Dodgers may do.
Speaker 2: Something that just hasn't been done before in a lot of people's lifetime. And what has made them better than last year is that they have filled the two greatest holes in their lineup, and that's Kyle Tucker in right field and Edwin Diaz as their closer that was a major hole in their lineup last year. Tucker moves te Oscar Hernandez back to left field. Tucker is going to blend in, does not want the attention, and certainly is going to thrive. You know that some people just don't want the attention, and they thrive better in their business when they're not the man. When they're not the person, some people are better assistant managers than they are managers. And Kyle Tucker is that type of guy. So things are looking a lot better. But before we continue to look forward, let's look back. Let's look back at last year's World Series. I have my own list of top five World Series moments from last year's exciting, thrilling Game seven World Series between the Dodgers and Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: So I actually have some production behind this as well.
Speaker 2: Before we get to that, though, since it is like cocktail hour here at the Ergan Butcher, can we all raise Can we all raise a glass?
Speaker 3: Can we raise our glasses to.
Speaker 2: The three peat, the run for the three peat, the back to back World Series champions LA Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Can we all raise a glass to a man.
Speaker 2: That spent his entire twelve year Major League career with the Dodgers and when he retired, played more postseason games with the Dodgers than anybody else. And that is the Alo wearing white T shirt, Andre Eighthier. Tonight salute to Andre Eighthier. Yeah, hey, we could get you an endorsement. There's people here that can make Alo happen for you. Don't embarrass yourself in front of superior grocers. All right, Andre eighth is gonna join us at the bottom of the hour. He has a lot to trust me.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Here are my top five World Series moments. I'm gonna start from five, go to one. Here it is how many people stayed up all eighteen innings for Freddie Freeman's walk off home run in Game three of the World Series. If you didn't stay up. This is the way it sounded right here on Dodgers Radio and five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 7: Full count on Freeman, Little delivers Freeman. It's one high in the air, straightaway center field.
Speaker 8: Marshal at the walk God, Freddie Freeman, mister World Series ends the marathon at midnight.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, Freddie Freeman's walk off home run in the eighteenth inning last year only player now in baseball history to have walk off home runs in two separate World Series. So there you go. That's the way it sounded. With Stephen Nelson on the call. All right, Now, here's my number four.
Speaker 3: To even get to a Game seven, you needed to win Game six if you were the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Here it is the final play of Game six to force a Game seven.
Speaker 3: One out, bottom of the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: Tyler glassnow already got Ernie Clement to pop out for the first out of the inning with one pitch. Addison Barger at second base got a litle little too excited. Here is the final play and the number four moment of last year's World Series.
Speaker 7: Then it's his zero for three with a strikeout so far in Game six. Al Right, he comes home and then its s flips it in the left field Hernandez charging.
Speaker 8: He mix the catch, the throwback to second. Here's a play the tag.
Speaker 1: He's out, Key.
Speaker 8: K Hernandez, Teleguel Rojas in the ball game is over.
Speaker 2: We got a fun fact earlier this week, Former Raiders quarterback Derek Carr was on Dodger Talk and he said he has that second base bag in his office. He and his brother David Carr have a podcast hosted by Iaheart Radio, and he has that second base bag in his office, that actual one that Rojas made an incredible short hop from the throw from Key k a Hernandez. And we have already arranged for Rojas and Key k Hernandez to sign that second base bag for Derek Carr.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Miguel Rojas.
Speaker 2: And defense, right, it wasn't just the home run to tie Game seven in the ninth inning. How about the play he made in the bottom of the ninth inning to Will Smith in field in the tying run, the winning run just ninety feet away. Here was Miguel Rojas to Will Smith. Our number three moment of last year's World Series.
Speaker 7: A ball in two strikes, Yamamoto is set round ball to second, Rojas has it, he's.
Speaker 9: Going home and they get in time.
Speaker 8: There was a brief stumble from Rojas at second base, but he recovered, planted and through home and kind of filefa is deemed out boy.
Speaker 10: That was a tough plame by Rojas, and he was able to make the good throw.
Speaker 3: The regears, the colina confirmed and the.
Speaker 9: Runners out ground the band.
Speaker 2: Hey the call stand and the Dodgers were able to go extra innings, and that leads us to I don't know, in my opinion, the second best moment of last year's World Series. You may disagree with me because he doesn't talk a lot, but the number two moment for me the Dodgers down to their final two outs of the season was Miguel Rojas's game time home run.
Speaker 7: And Rojas fight his way on base, full count, Hoffman delivers, Rojas hits it in the air left field.
Speaker 6: This ball's got some carry.
Speaker 9: It is gone. It's gone. In Game seven, is tied.
Speaker 8: Miguel Rojas off the bench in Game six, on the board in Game seven.
Speaker 10: This crowd, well, we talked about it in another series. This has turned into a library. Miguel Rojas. He took the two two pitch the slider upstairs, and he took the next pitch out of the ballpark. Then this Dodgers first day's dugout has exploded.
Speaker 2: I feel like we needed more energy from Steven Nelson. I don't think we're getting enough energy out of him in a Game seven.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: He actually reflected how you were feeling in your homes when Miguel Rojas hit his first home run against the right handed pitcher of the season, that's regular and postseason. Had not hit a home run against the right handed pitcher. That one off of Jeff Hoffman, who was chirping when the bench is cleared earlier in the game.
Speaker 3: So there you have it, you know.
Speaker 2: I just feel like Will Smith doesn't do a lot of media, doesn't really talk about himself a lot, but a game tying home run does not win the World Series for you. Here is the number one moment of last year's thrilling seven game World Series.
Speaker 7: Glad Guerrero Junior will lead off the bottom of the eleventh for the Dodgers, scratch a run across before then.
Speaker 6: The two o Smith with a smash in the air to deepliftfield. This bowl is.
Speaker 8: Smith lets it fly and breaks the tie in Game seven, as number sixteen stays.
Speaker 10: Clutch boy, this place has gotten silent all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet.
Speaker 2: Will Smith could hear his cleats cutting that dirt as he was rounding the bases.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 2: It was eerily quiet after It was so raucous for the majority of that game, especially after Bobishet hit that go ahead home run off a show. Hey, Tawny, but look, I know the Rojas home run was one of the most improbable home runs in World Series history. But it was a game tying home run. It wasn't the game winning home run. And that's why for me, the Will Smith go ahead home run in the eleventh inning is the top moment of last year's seven game World Series. Since we are celebrating the Dodgers here tonight in downtown Phoenix with our friends at the Arrogant Butcher, let's celebrate the Dodgers, and ever since Guggenheim ownership took over, it's been a party.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna share with you my.
Speaker 2: Top ten Dodger playoff home runs since twenty thirteen. When we continue right here on Dodger Talk live from the Arrogant Butcher in downtown Phoenix with all our friends and you, of course you're a friend on a five to seventy LA Sports. Want to say thank you again to our friends at Superior Grossers Strauss Children's Hospital Los Angeles, for Verizon, Sipporo, Chumash Casino and Daniels Jewelers. Thank you all for coming out and supporting Dodgers Radio, Dodgers Baseball. Without you, this doesn't happen. So thank you again for all the support. It's going to be another great season. You got on board at the right time. I'll just put it that way, all right. It's not the twenty eleven Dodgers. It's the twenty twenty six Dodgers going for the three pet and all. This started all the way back in twenty thirteen. This is the golden age of Dodger baseball, not just the last two years, but going back to twenty thirteen. This is unprecedented sustained success. The Brooklyn Dodgers didn't do this. The sixties Dodgers didn't do this. The seventies. Garvey Lopes, Russell and say they were great. They didn't do this The eighties Dodgers of Fernando and Oral Herscheizer. They won two championships in ten years. The Dodgers have won three in the last five years, including doing something that no other Dodger team had ever done, and that's went back to back championships. So this goes back to twenty thirteen. It doesn't go back to twenty twenty four. It doesn't go back to twenty nineteen. It goes back to twenty thirteen. And I have put together and you can disagree agree. You could tweet at me at the real underscore dv or send me nasty dms on Instagram at officially Vassy and I do get them. Andre Ethier was part of the beginning of all this in twenty thirteen. So I'm gonna start from ten to one like we did for the seven game World Series Highlights, and I'm gonna start at number ten. You know, everybody just remembers the World Series. Nobody remembers what it takes to get to the World Series and the moments, the moments that helped the Dodgers get to the World Series. There was a very good chance the Dodgers don't ever get out of the first round against the Phillies. They never had home field advantage, and they were losing Game one. Remember this, how many people remember? The Dodgers were losing game one of a best of five nlds until Tale happened. You wanted to trade tail, You were on tail all year long. Who rescued the Dodgers in Philadelphia None other than my guy, ta Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 7: It has been a tough night for Taale zero for three, three strikeouts and part of the misplaying right field, and the Phillies scored three runs in the second inning. He can make up for it with one swing the pitch, get high in the air, right center field, bait her on the run on the warning track, he's at the wall.
Speaker 3: It's gone.
Speaker 9: Tale time.
Speaker 8: In Game one, he flips the scoreboard with a three run bomb.
Speaker 2: Stephen Nelson just encapsulated how everybody felt about Taoscar Hernandez. Oh misplay, Oh you can make up for it right here? Well, yeah, he did, and that's what he does. He did it in twenty twenty four. He did it again last year. Rescued the Dodgers they were down three to two in the seventh inning in Philadelphia. And you want to talk about a raucous crowd going quiet. They did in the seventh inning with a go ahead three run home run, and Tioscar Hernandez was the one that provided all that. So how about this, How about some ti Oscar Hernandez appreciation in twenty twenty six? All right, number nine, let's go back to twenty eighteen. You remember last year's eighteen inning affair. I never thought I'd have to sit through that again. Well, I was there in twenty eighteen Game three of the World Series Dodgers Red Sox Nathan Valdi against Max Muncy and the Dodgers were down two in that World Series.
Speaker 11: Baldy on three and two, Black Hall left center field, well hit back.
Speaker 3: At the wall, and the longest World.
Speaker 11: Series game in history has come to an end a mighty blast by Max Monthy. The Dodgers are back from the dead. They win it three to two. They moved back to within two games to one in the twenty eighteen World Series, an historic game at Dodgers Stadium, and Monsey is being pummeled at the plate.
Speaker 3: That was Charlie Steiner on the call.
Speaker 2: Great to hear his voice and Max Munsey now that many years later, has the most postseason home runs in Dodger franchise history thirteen postseason home runs for that funky month see all right.
Speaker 3: Number eight on David Va says top.
Speaker 2: Dodgers playoff home runs going back to twenty thirteen. Twenty twenty, a year we don't want to remember in some ways, but Cody Bellinger gave us a great memory Game seven of the NLCS. Remember the Dodgers were down three games to one to the Braves in that twenty twenty NLCS. Well, they forced a Game seven, and in the seventh inning, Belly hit a g galahead home.
Speaker 3: Run against Atlanta and Chris Martin two balls, two strikes, two out.
Speaker 11: Martin's twenty third pitch Bellinger.
Speaker 3: For the fly ball the right field.
Speaker 11: Cody Bellinger has just given the Dodgers a four.
Speaker 3: To three lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then Key Hernandez separated his shoulder with a huge forearm shiver, so uh, just remember the celebrations keep him under control. But that was a huge home run and sent the Dodgers to the World Series for the third time in four years at that point, and they went on to beat the Rays in Game six. Number seven Chris Taylor fan favorite so many big home runs for the Dodgers, so many big plays in the postseason.
Speaker 3: How about the wildcard?
Speaker 2: The Dodgers won one hundred and six games in twenty twenty one, but the Giants had that lucky year, winning one hundred and seven, So the Dodgers were forced to play a wildcard game at Dodgers Stadium against the Saint Louis Cardinals. It was a tie game in the bottom of the ninth inning until Chris Taylor sent the Dodgers to the NLDS.
Speaker 11: Race on two and one. Taylor fly ball the left and deep and don Chris Taylor oh walk up home run. But Dodgers are walking off to San Francisco. They win the Wildcard, create a one. Here comes Taylor to have played.
Speaker 3: They are bobbing him, but Crown is going crazy.
Speaker 11: The Dodgers advance to the National League Division Series and won swing by Chris Taylor.
Speaker 2: That was a great year for Chris Taylor, capped off by that walk off home run in the wild card game. And I'll never forget that night. As we were waiting for the Dodgers to come out and do the interviews, Juan Soto was sitting behind home played and I interviewed Juan Soto after Chris Taylor's walk off home run, speaking of big time home runs that you may have forgotten about. How about number six won your Reba? Who remembers won your Rebay? Oh there we go, Johnny, Yeah, you remember him? Do you remember Game four of the NLDS Dodgers Braves. At that point in time, the Dodgers were in the postseason for the first time in a long time, first time since Andre Ethier's Dodgers were in the NLCS in two thousand and nine. Well Ethier and the Dodgers were back in there for the first time and trying to advance. Kershaw pitched on three days rest. Don Mattingly try to have one your Reba bunt for a base hit or a sacrifice In the bottom of the eighth inning, he couldn't bunt, didn't want to bunt, and thank god he.
Speaker 12: Didn't, And the two to two pitch, your Rebay hits a high fly ball into deep left field.
Speaker 1: Way down the line and gone.
Speaker 12: And the Dodgers lead four to three on a two run home run by one your Rebay.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing what somebody.
Speaker 3: Will do when you can't bunt?
Speaker 12: One your Rebay got a fastball and hit it back right in the area of the bullpen, and it is four to three Dodgers in the bottom of.
Speaker 3: The eighth inning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that famous image of Craig Kimberl standing with his hands on his hips in the Braves bullpen. Not sure where Andre Ethier was when one your Rebay hit that big home run in the bottom of the eighth inning. We'll ask him coming up in our next segment. All right, we're getting to the top five. How about another fan favorite, a guy that made his career nine years with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: His biggest hit with the Dodgers Game two of the.
Speaker 2: NLCS in twenty seventeen, on the same date that Kurt Gibson hit his walk off home run back in nineteen eighty eight. Justin Turner helping the Dodgers get to the World Series. Since Gibson's or yeah, since Gibson's eighty eight Dodgers John Lackey on the mound at Dodgers Stadium, Justin Turner sent everybody home happy and the Dodgers had a two to zero lead in the NLCS.
Speaker 11: Turner in the postseason with the Dodgers he's twelve or seventeen during the regular season, three walk off hits Turner for the fly ball the center field.
Speaker 3: It's way back at the wall.
Speaker 1: A three run walk.
Speaker 3: Off home run for Justin Turner.
Speaker 11: The Dodgers are up two games to none and they are going crazy.
Speaker 3: No doubt that was redemption.
Speaker 2: Remember the Cubs beat the Dodgers in twenty sixteen's NLCS and they were on their way to the World Series for the first time since nineteen eighty eight. And we all know that twenty seventeen belongs to the Dodgers. All right, We heard an eighteen inning home run from Muncie in twenty eighteen. How about this year's eighteen inning affair in this year's World Series. Freddie Freeman sending andre Ethy and everybody else home happy.
Speaker 7: Full count on Freeman, Little delivers Freeman. It's one high in the air, straightaway center field, Marshall.
Speaker 9: At the wall.
Speaker 13: God, Freddy Freeman, mister World Series.
Speaker 14: Ends the merri fun at midnight, his mob at home place as the Dodgers walk it off him.
Speaker 8: The bottle of the eighteenth sinning.
Speaker 13: Six to five in the final to grab a two.
Speaker 6: To one series lead.
Speaker 10: You want Drummers come to Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson on the call. You heard Will Smith go ahead home run in the eleventh inning in our last segment. That was number three. How about number two? Let's relift Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slamm in Game one of the twenty four World Series against Nestor Cortes and the Pinstripes.
Speaker 6: The Yankees free the Dodgers two.
Speaker 7: The bases are loaded to out bottom of the tenth thitting.
Speaker 6: The scenario you dream about. How are Who's living? First pitch swinging Hi?
Speaker 9: Why ball hit Dad back head?
Speaker 13: Freddie Freeman channeling is inner?
Speaker 1: Kurt Diitson, Oh walk up home.
Speaker 13: Run in Game one of the World jerries hey walk off Grand Flam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 2: Freddy Freeman's walk off Grand Slam again, parallel to Kirk Gibson's home run in nineteen eighty eight, two Hobbled Superstars and Freddie Freeman a legacy Dodger.
Speaker 3: Now and I went.
Speaker 2: Back and forth Roejas's home run or Freddy's Grand Slam. I went Freddy's walk off Grand Slam number two and Roejas's improbable Game seven game tying home run number one. All right, when we continue from downtown Phoenix, my guy on that's Ray Ethier, is going to join us. He was part of a lot of these teams since twenty thirteen that had so many memorable postseason wins. Mister Clutch is next. Captain Clutch they called him back in the day. Still looks pretty.
Speaker 3: Good, you know, for a retired guy.
Speaker 2: Andre Ethier's next right here on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: It's been a.
Speaker 2: Great Dodger talk show or with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports from downtown Phoenix, opening day less than two weeks away, March twenty sixth against the Arizona Diamondbacks on the Peacock Network. But more importantly, right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, where you hear every single game of Dodger Baseball and.
Speaker 3: Dinner has been served.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, we're joined right now by a man that's spent his entire twelve year major league career with the Dodgers, and I can't believe it. He mentioned it to everybody here in the room that it's becoming his twentieth anniversary and the Dodger organization.
Speaker 3: That's my guy with his alo white T shirt. Andrey here, thanks for coming down here.
Speaker 9: I'm keeping it clean, and yeah, thank you. This is fun. What a great event here.
Speaker 4: Second year I've been able to come down here and be a part of this probably and five seventy partners and and yourself, and thank you for wishing me a happy twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 9: I can't believe it, you know, looking back.
Speaker 4: Into that spring training, my first spring training the Dodgers in two thousand and six, not where not knowing where I was going or where I would be, and then sitting here today twenty years later, what a ride, and you know, what a what a.
Speaker 9: Change of organization.
Speaker 4: Where this place has come and where it was when I first showed up, and now where the Dodgers said today on the top of everything and where they were trying to get back to, is you know, a great testament to this organization in the city.
Speaker 2: I remember where I was when the Dodgers traded Milton Bradley for some guy from the A's organization double a modesto. I can remember the guy that told me about Andre Ethier. He was one of Dave Reese's right hand guys.
Speaker 3: His name was Brent Blau.
Speaker 2: He went to Arizona State when you played college baseball. He said, Oh, man, this guy's the Manamal, who is this guy?
Speaker 3: We're I've never asked you this.
Speaker 2: What was your reaction when you found out a double A player with the Modesta A's was just traded to the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: Well, I didn't look at it the way you just painted it. I looked at it.
Speaker 4: I was kind of actually angry because I had spent you know, two and a half years of the A's organization at that time, which was known to promote young players pretty quickly right into the big leagues. And I had just come off a double A season where I won the MVP of the league, batting title of the league.
Speaker 9: I was an All Star game MVP from Texas League.
Speaker 4: Until you had a great league, played in the Fall League, hit tremendously well the following the ACE sat me down last week in the Fall League and we're like, hey, you're going to come to spring trading this year and you're going to.
Speaker 9: Compete for a big league job for us. So I had that in my mind.
Speaker 4: Fast forward three weeks later, I'm walking into a Barnes and Noble actually, and I see a phone number pop up on my phone from California area code, and I look at it, hang up. It calls back again. I hang up, and then finally they leave a message and it's Ned Coletty saying, Hey, this is Ned Cletty.
Speaker 9: Gentlemenager of the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: I'd like to be the first one to welcome you to the Los Angeles Dodger you just traded.
Speaker 9: For you give me a call back.
Speaker 4: So I was trying to call him back, and as soon as I did that, I get another phone call from Oakland.
Speaker 9: Area code and it was.
Speaker 4: I believe Dave Forrest, who was the assistant GM at the time under Billy Bean, called me to tell me that they just traded me to the Dodgers and thanks for everything you did days and good luck with your career. So yeah, I was having a lot of motion. I was like, really, you just traded me when you just told me three weeks ago that I would be competing for a job with you guys in the big leagues, and now I have to go to another organization, which obviously, in hindsight, they had a plan for me.
Speaker 9: But I was like, why do I stand out?
Speaker 4: Of course I go and look up, and you have Matt Camp, you have James Loney, you have all these I think the Dodgers just one organization of the year for all those prospects they had, and le Road, which all those guys. But that Ville five, Yeah, the Jacksonville five, Russell Martin, And I'm like, how do I fit in with these great players over here?
Speaker 9: Where am I going to get my big league shot?
Speaker 4: But like I said, you've got a trust the process, and they traded me two big leaguers for me for a, like you said, a lowly double a player, And sure enough I was in.
Speaker 9: The big leagues three weeks after the season started. That's amazing. What a story.
Speaker 2: I've never asked you that, and I don't believe I've ever heard you tell that story. So fast forward we are in spring training.
Speaker 6: You were part of.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers when they moved from Vero Beach to Camelback Ranch here in Glendale, Arizona. You have that unique perspective of being a guy, contemporary player that got to have spring training at Dodgertown at Vero Beach. Yeah, what was that like in your first spring training and What was it like going to Florida for those two years?
Speaker 4: Honestly? And that was another angry thing. I'm like, I was, I had spring training? What eight minute drive from Arizona State Campus? You know localan as spring training is maybe eight minutes from Arizona State Campus. So, you know, I get drafted by the A's, I'm basically living in my same apartment that I lived in college to go to spring trading up.
Speaker 9: Were you living on.
Speaker 3: Mill Avenue when you were training with the A's.
Speaker 4: Close close to Bell Avenue. I was still spending quite a few so I have been a timetown of Mill Avenue. But yes, I was, you know, still living in the area. And then all of a sudden, they're like, you're getting traded Dodgers. Well, where's the Dodger spring training. It's at Vero Beach. Where's zero Beach? You know what I'm trying to, you know, and doctrinate myself with this, you know, Dodgers, you know, lower of Vera Beach.
Speaker 9: I get there, I'm like, what is this place?
Speaker 6: First?
Speaker 4: Free training was awful? You know, obviously I showed up. I didn't perform very well, So I was reassigned to minor league camp pretty quickly after, you know, three weeks in major league camp, and then that season comes, and then obviously it was a short suit and the shortest off season I ever had, because I you know at that you know major league season is a is a month longer. First time the Dodgers had been in the playoffs again in a while was in O six, so we had a playoff run and then you know, fast off season, all the motions of being in the big leagues, and then you look up and it's February ninth, and you're like, oh, I got to go back to Vero Beach again. And you're like, I got it all the way across the country to go have spring training in Florida.
Speaker 9: I'm like, what am I doing? And I can say we had three and a half them was four spring trainings are before the Dodgers moved out.
Speaker 4: And then it was a happy day when I heard their announce team and I think it's a happy day for the organization and obviously our partners and everyone's happy to have the team this close to it. But at the end of my career, I realized the specialist of being at a place like Barol Beach. What it meant I had a full circle moment. Actually this past us this past fall, my oldest sudden had a baseball tournament in Jupiter area and one of the games happened to be one of the days at Baro Beach And that was the first time I was back since two thousand and nine. Was this past fall and so many floods and you know, emotions coming through me. That was my first time walking on that and just seeing where I kind of got my start in the dodge orarization where the first time I I you know, I walked on that campus, stayed in one of those the housing you know, the old hotel rooms, the marriage So yeah, you saw the first time, you know, I walked to the old the old food room.
Speaker 9: The cafeteria is exactly the same. Well, that's what I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 2: I've heard the old timers talk about that food room where yeah, double A players would be sitting next to an All stars.
Speaker 9: Yeah you're we're to sit That's my first Tommy's experience.
Speaker 4: You know, I show up to campus the first night, you know, I have no Rendell Carr, James Loney's my roommate.
Speaker 9: I'm like what do we do now?
Speaker 4: And he goes, will you walk across and you go over to the cafeteria eat in the middle of the campus, and you know, kind of kind of and I'm like, oh, okay. So I walk in and it's you know, it's kind of like the first day of school. You're like, where do I sit?
Speaker 9: What do I do? All that stuff? And you turn to sit in the corner and there's Tommy Lesorta sitting there in the corner of.
Speaker 4: A couple of Johnny Padres, all those guys, you know, some of those old players that were around back and they'd Sammy, Sandy Cofax sitting in there, to major league players sitting in there, you know, some of the old coaches that were former players sitting in there.
Speaker 9: See if all these guys sitting.
Speaker 4: In this place with minor leaguers and You're just like, what's going on? And and that was the first actually night that I actually, I think it was the second night that I came in to the cafeteria and Tommy called me out and said, hey, come sit with me at the table. And then I had the hour Tommy dinner in the cafeteria telling me all about Dodgers and Dodger history and all the great players, and you know, pointing at me with his crooked finger, Uh, that you could one day be a great Dodger if you do all the things, you know, you know, the typical Tommy pep up pep talk. And yeah, I just didn't realize that end of my career until I was done, what a special place that was. And then when you walk around thinking, you know, I was like, I was getting to walking my boys around because she's showing them where I the you know, the the hotel room I stayed in the backfield where they would make me go back and hit curveballs. You know, Uh, the locker room in the old stadium. Of how the old stadium now has covers of the dugout. We didn't have covers on the dugout. They were open air dugouts. You know that there was an old military base and you have the old berms from the military base.
Speaker 9: For the outfield and the stands are built on.
Speaker 4: All that stuff is just unique to Dodger, you know, to Dodgertown and to have the history and to like have that all come back and and know now that I was a part of that, you know, Dodger in history that was a part of there. And there's not one player left I think me and you've talked about this. Clayton was the last player I think an act in baseball, not only on the Dodgers, but it acted baseball that had a spring training. There's actually one more still, oh Canley Jensen. I forgot Canley Jens is still there. But yes, I mean when Candley retires, that that officially closes the era of any player that had a spring training at Bara Beach. I think that's gonna be a sad day just in you know, memory and meaning because of how special Dodgertown is to you know, Dodgers, to Brooklyn, to la and all those great players that had a chance to have a spring trained there.
Speaker 2: It's funny that you say that. And Andre Ethier is our guest in downtown Phoenix. Kenley Jansen every time that I talked to him, and obviously you know, he has such a special place in his heart for the Dodgers, even though he's pitched for a few different teams. He always talks about that, how he and Kershaw and you are the last guys. Yeah, trained at Garo Beach and it seems like that's a badge of honor for you guys. One is because it's a badgine honor because the players. It's a badger arnor because a Jackie. It's a badger because it's Roy, Roy Campandell. It's a badge of honor because all these Rick Mondays bad because all these great Dodger of players.
Speaker 9: If you, if you were a great Dodger player.
Speaker 4: Before you know what, twenty twelve and you had a you had to spend training at at Dodgertown, at.
Speaker 9: Daryl Beach, you you got a chance to do that. Life is slow.
Speaker 4: We don't have downtown Phoenix. We have there now, but sure we haven't had to use up there. You know you you just had a slow life going on. You showed up to spring trainers about babs. It's all about baseball. Like I said, I lived on campus. Did you ever hop the wall like Mike Beyonce and Eric Harrows walk? Yeah, I hop over the fence to get Yeah, they closing the gate on you and going through I mean the countless hours you spending the batting cage. There After after a game, things might not feel well.
Speaker 9: You go shower, locker, room.
Speaker 4: You take your little five minutes stroll over to the to your little motel room. Yeah, you lay around. All of a sudden you look up at seven, seven thirty, you walk across, you know, a little two minutes, stroll to the cafeteria. You have your your meal, and you go back to the room and you wake up next morning at six am, and you rinse and repeat, like you know, there's it was just all about me.
Speaker 9: It was a baseball camp. Yah, his baseball camp.
Speaker 4: And there's nothing like that again in in you know, professional in professional baseball, any minor league set, you know, any spring training setup that's similar, and it's a it's a it's a bygone air. That's that's left and it's in the past. And and it's nice to see that I was able to be a part of something that was like a touch of like the old the old school baseball. You know, the photos, the videos that would that would probably make our parents reminiscent go demn memory Lane. You know, that was still a thing happening in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine in Florida for his daughters.
Speaker 2: Maybe I can recreate that, Maybe I can invite the team to your house. Don't you have a batting cage in your backyard?
Speaker 9: I do, but I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think my house is as nice as not is Dodgertown. But uh yeah, it's a special place. And I encourage anyone you know listening right now, if you ever have a chance, you're on the.
Speaker 9: On the East coasters Florida.
Speaker 4: You're in the in the Miami even Orlando area. It's not two it's an hour and a half drive I think, from Miami and to Orlando to get there. But if you want a chance to see, you know, Dodger history, it's still completely dodgered out every all the streets are named after the Dodger grates, the memory lane you get there. If you have a chance to get and see this cafeteria, it's gonna bring you back. You know, all their sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties, all your favorite players have a picture.
Speaker 9: You know, a photo.
Speaker 4: And to look at this old cafeteria that's still sitting there with the old rails that you'd slide your your tray on, the whole thing, the old the serving buffet areas that's all sitting there, the old the old soda fountain, the Jews found. Everything is still in this place, the Dodger themed uh Napkin dispensers in the middle. Everything's still there. It's it's a it's it's like a museum, and it's it's fun to go see that and be a part of that.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Andre Ethier is joining us in downtown Phoenix. The Dodgers are getting ready for opening Day, gooing for the three peat. Andre was in uniform for a for a week or two at camel Back Branch. I think everybody wants to know what you think about Kyle Tucker and how he's going to fit in with the Dodgers. It feels like he wants to blend in and this might be the perfect place for that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: I think you know, he's a great player. But every every player out there, whether they're they're they're really high high level, whether you're you know you're a star, whether you're you're a role player, has different personalities and how they fit on the team. I don't know Kyle too well. I've I've seen him from so far. I think he's a guy who you know, is you know, classic, walks softly, humbly and carry a big stick and and you know, it's work really well for him. I think LA is the perfect place where it's tough to be a star ahead of Atani and no one knowing in the league.
Speaker 9: Is no one in the world is.
Speaker 4: So you have a great, great person you can play behind and do your game, and then you have guys like you know, no doubt, Hall of famers like Freddie Freeman and soon to be probably pretty close here if he keeps, you know, another year or two with Luki.
Speaker 9: You got guys like that. It's it's tough to overstep them. What they're doing. You can probably be doing.
Speaker 4: In performance, but those guys is, you know, their aura and their presence is just a lot. And I think Kyle will fit in perfect with that. And you know, if he goes and does what he's done the last seven eight years of his career, he's gonna be a, you know, a very key part to this team and moving forward. And you know, I hope the best and I hope it works out that you know he's able to, you know, contribut the way you know that he's been doing the.
Speaker 9: Last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for putting on the headset, the salads out, the dinner's being there's a great foot Yeah, I mean there, I thought that sweets was gonna get some try tip.
Speaker 9: But okay, I love me.
Speaker 3: Do you really.
Speaker 9: Get the meta?
Speaker 3: I love Cotton, fitz Simmons.
Speaker 4: Great coach, right there. Yeah, Greg Cotton, the old madhouse on me down.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know all about Hey, you are the king of Phoenix. I don't know about that, but uh, you know, I'm just I'm happy that, you know, for the Dodgers success.
Speaker 9: I'm happy for uh, you know what.
Speaker 4: It's bringing to the city, what's bringing to all the all the Peri field obviously, Uh, it's it's a special place to be a part of. You know.
Speaker 9: It's unbelievable how this.
Speaker 4: Team, you know, this team's you know, keeps just going to New Heights and obviously this the city has supported them through the lean times, has been there and the way they're doing it now, the fans keep coming up and showing out.
Speaker 9: Do you have a lot to show up for?
Speaker 3: But they they love them.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you this, they haven't forgotten your teams and yeah, and your Dodgers because you were there from the beginning.
Speaker 3: Guys like you, Matt Camp, Justin Turner is still a.
Speaker 2: Big fan favorite, rightfully, so really good and I think that's special that Dodger fans haven't forgotten how great you guys were too.
Speaker 4: Well, you hope they don't. But at the same time you understand that there's been a lot of success. But yeah, uh, you know, things have changed, Things change involved so quickly, and I think this teams have changed and evolved quickly.
Speaker 9: Obviously organizationally wise, it has.
Speaker 4: I mean the stadium if I didn't step footing it again from the day I left to now, I probably.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't even recognize the stadium. You know how how much has changed.
Speaker 4: And everything's improving, proving for the fans, proving for the players, and proving for everything out there. And it should be because you know, the supports that that city gives. You should be putting best product on there. You shouldn't be having a great fan experience. You should have all the nice stuff that that stadium that for that ownership's giving uh, to the players, to the city, and it's.
Speaker 9: Great and no apologies, no no apologies at all.
Speaker 4: When you have that type uh of people behind you, when you have that many millions of people who are who are hanging on their seat and who want to see the success of the team. You're you shouldn't be apologizing because it's not like it's uh, you know, uh people like to give a hard time. Dodger and fans leave early, you know, leave early from the game, don't you know, don't show up to whatever. Well, you know, maybe there's a lot of stuff going on. They show up when they show up, and no one said, you know, no one says the questions in anywise, no, no Dodger, no Dodger players. Do we know what's going on there in La? If you don't understand LA and you understand the Dodgers, just don't mind your own business. I don't love that's the best that that's the best way I would say it, but drop the mic on that for sure. But you know, and then I said it here to everyone before you on the radio.
Speaker 9: You know, everyone listen out in the radio out there.
Speaker 4: I don't think uh, you know, everyone gets to say thank you enough to am you know five seventy for you know, providing this.
Speaker 9: Kind of medium.
Speaker 4: You do a great job at, you know, kind of being the you know inside look, you know, I do they do it with some of the you know, some of the backstage stuff, some of the social media stuff, but to get try to get the players on the mic and have them say stuff and talk and see some of the personality. It's a little different than when there's a camera in your.
Speaker 9: Face when you just having micro Yeah we were the first. My favorite is when when people question if guys are actually being mean to you or be serious with you, or actually like you.
Speaker 3: There's only one that questions, we know.
Speaker 4: Who you know?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Lizzy, that's right, shadow, Liz Olsen. Uh yeah. Questions whether guys are actually like you, or they're or there, or they're bullying you or stuff like that. But I think you guys do a great job. I know the fans love it.
Speaker 4: It's a it's an other avenue of the way for them to be a part of the team in here, just another uh you know, another way to you know, be connected to it. And you know, I hope everyone out there enjoys it and looks forward to hearing all your great great interviews like tonight, Yeah, like tonight with you, great interviews to say it and interviews after the game breaking down the game, whether it's good or bad, and and telling the truth, tell the.
Speaker 9: Truth of what it is, because, uh.
Speaker 3: Did you ever listen to Dodger talk when you drove home?
Speaker 9: I did all the time. WHOA all the time?
Speaker 4: This is it was.
Speaker 9: I didn't like that. It's what I liked you. I don't like you now.
Speaker 4: So that's my prayer life. I don't like you now because I listened to you too much. You critique my game too much. So that was what I liked you, and I I can't liking you less. Every time i'd go that drive.
Speaker 3: I have that effect that my wife starting to feel the same way.
Speaker 9: Well, I don't want to get your personal person. We're talking Dodger baseball here.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, thanks a lot for stopping by.
Speaker 2: You mean a lot to the city, You mean a lot to all of us here on AM five seventy l A Sports, And you mean a lot to you know, people that followed what you stood for as a player.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, apprecire you are and how you represent the Dodgers now, So thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looking forward to three peet this year, and nothing will be more special. I think that would be just a special, this first one in this if the Dodgers would be.
Speaker 9: A third home.
Speaker 4: I think that would be the kind of like big exclamation point of being like this is the way to do it, and you hear it constantly.
Speaker 9: You know, no one, no one is doing what the.
Speaker 4: Dodgers are doing, not only for the winning side, but from the organizational side, from the fans side, from the media side.
Speaker 9: No one's doing it the way they're doing.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a it's a beast. It's an entity of its own, and everyone's trying to replicate that. It's tough to do if you don't have the support and the and the partners and the fans out there like the Dodgers do. And I think it's a testament to what la as rally behind a team like the Dodgers. All right, Andre, thanks a lot for stopping by. Anytime, really, anytime, some time. Just don't text me again.
Speaker 9: For a while.
Speaker 2: Hey, can we all say thank you to Andre Ethier for stopping by. Put down the forks and knives and get my guy around of applause. Don't worry, we got more foods. Don't worry, Joel Kelly, We'll get you more. Get you another played. Okay, you just want to get to your meat loaf. That's getting cold.
Speaker 3: Hey, mom, where's my meat loaf? All right? There he is Andre Ethier.
Speaker 2: It's been a great night here in downtown Phoenix at the Arrogant Butcher. Thank you to Miranda who is serving the greatest cocktails in downtown Phoenix. And I want to say thank you again to our friends at Superior Grocers.
Speaker 3: What's the word of the day.
Speaker 9: You got a word of the day, us a word of the day today. What is our word today?
Speaker 3: Meatloaf? All right, meat loaf.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Strauss Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Verizon, Sapporo, Schumash Casino, and Daniels Jewelers. We got more Dodger baseball for you this week. We will talk to you later this week on Dodgery Talk. Thanks for staying with us, and you can listen to the show on.
Speaker 3: The iHeartRadio app. We'll talk to you then see you