Speaker 1: And welcome back. You're listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berlin. I'm here with Sarah Geiger Beam from Wimberg Landscaping and with Jim Hansel from UC and what is it? Great Oaks, Great Oaks Yep, yep, Great Oaks for Existance yep. Yeah. You have Joe Boggs joining us in about an hour. He's always fun. I don't know what he plans to talk about, it doesn't matter, it will It'll be awesome. It'll be awesome. Do you want to remind you our number eight hundred eight two three eighty two fifty five give us a call. We're talking favorite plants right now. We'll take your call about favorite plants or any questions you might have about the garden. Eight hundred eight two three A two five five. Also a reminder that the podcasts are available wherever podcasts are available, and we if you can't get to a station, you can lie stream us on the iHeart app. So that's all the business to conduct. Let's get right back to our favorite plants. Jim or I was going to bring up something here, let me get it back here. We were talking about your your last plant, which you saw at the peted out off Udolph Garden in Detroit, and three of my plants came from that that visit as well. One is an old one never I don't think popular, but such a good, cool plant, Econops ritro. I think it's oh, I love that, yeah, glow, yeah, great plant. And it's not a thistle. It's an economics but it has this round of flower head, pretty blue flowers, and you grow a cultivar.
Speaker 2: I've grown platinum blue and this year I'm also growing a white one, maybe Arctic snow or Arctic white. I got them seeds from Gilido and man, you talk about an easy seed to start. It germinates in just two days or something. It grows easily in a plug tray or in a pot. It was just bulletproof and the landscape for the most partators came back after the first winter with extended snowpack, and I mean it just has performed like a champ. And it's that really pure blue color that is difficult to get and the shape of the flower. They're like these little lollipops that kind of stick up out over everything and it blends well with a lot of things.
Speaker 1: It's an easy grower and the foliage kind of has a little bit of a blue cast to it, a little bit of a silvery and a little it's not spiny, but it kay of looks a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The they call it globe thistle because the leaves do look a bit like a thistle, which is not selling it. And it is a courser look. It's not a super.
Speaker 1: Tidy great to mix with finer it is.
Speaker 2: It is great to mix. I made the mistake. I put it kind of as a block planting, and I wouldn't have I wouldn't do that again if I was redesigning that, I would have put something finer textured kind of in between and used it a bit more sparingly.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Also from the Udolph Garden Detroit, I saw again in a favorite from a long time, for a long time, Stokesia Peache's Peache's pick, I think is the cultivar and it's it's sort of a bad name because it's not peachy but more a solid blue. But the woman who discovered the plant was named peachy. Oh okay, and that's why the head fake on the color. Got it. And then the last one was an alium that I hadn't seen before Alium carrulatam pulchellum, which apparently is pretty fairly available as a ball in the marketplace. It's called blue globe onion and it's about the height of millennium less and knee high. And the normally with an alium you get that round flower head. This has I think it starts with sort of a round, little fireworky kind of upward little and then the little filaments or whatever holds they all sort of start to droop, so you get a really beautiful cascading look to the flower. And the word on the street was it seeds around a little bit, but not too bad in the way that you would like it too in a naturalistic garden. So that was those were my three standouts from the visit. That and just a reminder, you know, it's so so educational and inspirational to go to these gardens that these public gardens can go and check out the plants, see what they do. And you know, Pete out of and is certainly one of the best at having a wide palette of plants, definitely, and by going to look at his gardens and there's a high line in the lurry and a few others in the country. Uh, you can learn so many more plants that that you that are fascinating plants. Yeah, Jim, what do you have next?
Speaker 4: I got a kind of cool plant given to me a few weeks ago by our friend Ben Necessary. Oh yeah, yeah, Cali Canthus Burgundy spice yes red foliage Cali Canthus. It's really really cool. When the new foliage comes out, it's kind of like a greenish burgundy with like silvery feel, and then as the leaves age they get really dark burgundy. The first year in the garden, see what it does. He asked me to try it form and report back on how it performs, and so far it's it's really really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That came out about at least five years ago, and I haven't really gotten in the trade too much yet, but once it does, I mean it's I think it's a hybrid like aphrodite is I think so heartlage wine, which means I have a really good vigor probably, I hope so size. So far it's held up.
Speaker 4: I've only had it in the ground for maybe six or eight weeks, but it looks good. It's not a water hog.
Speaker 1: That's when I can never remember the common spicewu sweet trub. And the flowers are very primitive looking. They're kind of magnolia like, yes, and I think it did flower.
Speaker 4: The flowers get lost in the foliage though, okay on this one, just because the flower color is kind of in the same color family as the foliage. But I'm growing up for a folish play. I've got it planted right next to a U. I know I shouldn't like us, but I love us. I've got one called Wan Tong gold. It's a gold leaf you. And I've got that next to that gold leaf you. And it's really nice. So what I'm doing now is I'm trying to work in some purple dark foliage plants throughout my garden. So I have that sort of a theme that runs throughout.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah, very cool. Yeah, and you, by the way, you have a stunning garden. A little later on, hopefully we'll have time to talk about that. And it's a small garden, which is you know, I have a bigger garden and I have small garden envy. Yeah, I understand. You can make it so perfect.
Speaker 4: I used to have big garden ivy, but yeah, I tend a pretty big garden to Anderson, and it's like as you get older, it's like, I think the small garden sounds pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're some pros to a small garden.
Speaker 1: You have to be more disciplined. You can't keep adding plants. I can't. But the plants you can put in can be the very best, and you can play with it make it perfect. Ye, Sarah, do you have another plant? I do.
Speaker 2: Stacis white whisper was at Walters. I missed that and so it wasn't even in flower. It was past flower, but the seed heads had a greenish sort of cast and the texture was wonderful, So the flowering would be a bonus. And it's a white flowering stackus. It looks like a hamelo, which is a purple flowering variety that's pretty widely available.
Speaker 1: Scuses s T. A. C. H. Y s.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the one you would know in the garden centers is lambs.
Speaker 2: Laser Lambser, but this doesn't really like a Lambsier, even though it's in the same Geese.
Speaker 1: They may know the common name for that one. I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Betany, thank you, yeah, thank you. So this is a white betany and the seed the seedheads are what caught.
Speaker 1: My eye, which is a typical really yeahl does.
Speaker 2: Not have seedheads that are going to turn. You know, they're not offensive, they're fine, but I wouldn't call them ornamental. And this one was really nice. And and Betany is kind of a nice tidy plant that the seedheads and the flowers are extremely upright. So there's just really good texture going on. And in the display beds at Walter's Gardens, they had it next to a Ucomia purple rain, just big bold foliage that really set up off those seed heads because you had the contrasting backdrop so they almost glowed. And behind that they had pardon me, big bluestem Niagara Falls, and those three plants together there was just such a nice composition.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of nice composition, so many, so many ball and there were a couple of private gardens we went to that were just amazing as well. Nice. One of my favorite plants in the whole wide world is an annual grass Melinis Nerva gloomis ruby grass. I think they just ruby grass and it has this beautifully fine textured foliage with a bluish cast, and you know, it's not the most floriferous annual. It comes in a little later, but the flowers, the grass flowers just come in a rich ruby color and gradually fade out to pink. But as they do so, they also changed texture from more of a very fine but defined flower and then suddenly it just fluffs out and it's so so good. And when I saw that Ball had a white version, first I had an a version because why would you want a white But then you know, you start looking at it closer, and the white flowers were good on their own. They were really nice. They had that soft, fluffy texture that later in the season. But they had it planted with verbina dot bone Aiance is the tall verbena, and what a combination that was. It was stunny, breathtaking.
Speaker 2: It was one of my favorite plants at Ball yesterday. The grass was stunning. I saw it from across the field and was like, oh my god, what is it over there?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and works really well in naturalistic compositions, even though it is an annual. They had this bed that was it really really looked like one of those pollinator gardens, just dreamy and the textures and the flows and the colors, but it was with all Was it all annuals? I think it was all annuals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well back in the back of the bed, I think they had some other things, but right where it was was all annuals.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a great combination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with pretty traditional landscape plants. They had a yellow toned marrigold, there was a seed variety verbina. I forget what else they had in that bed, but.
Speaker 1: Another grass of some kind of darker grass.
Speaker 2: And then they had that upatorium elegant feather, which was new to me, and ubitorium.
Speaker 1: Let's say that one. We'll come back and we'll talk about that because it was an exceptional plant that's worth talking about. And then we'll also get into some timely task things you should have done last week, especially Sarah and I who were all were gone most of last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a long list.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you are listening to that garden with Scott Berline. Stay tuned, we'll be back.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary Salmon here from my friends at Rota Ruter Plumbing and water clean up. Do you have a few plumbing issues around the house you've been mean to fix, like drippy faucet, slowed drains, maybe even a garbage disposal that hums more than it actually works. When it comes to plumbing, those little annoyances can turn into big problems if you let them go for too long. Rotter Ruters license and experienced plumbers can fix any size plumbing problem. So give him a call. It's one eight hundred, Get rodo or schedule an appointment at rot ruter dot com.
Speaker 3: Where with Bridget whose husband won't be home for months and whose daughter is due any day. Where with Mike, who's leaving home to protect his family and yours. We're with all service members and their families who need community connection and maybe a bit of magic.
Speaker 1: Are you with them? Learn more at USO dot org.
Speaker 3: Today. Where with Liam after his fourth military move, when being new is starting to get old. We're with Tara during the holidays when she misses home the most. Where with all service members and their families who need connection and comfort and a home away from home.
Speaker 1: Are you with them?
Speaker 3: Learn more at USO dot We.
Speaker 5: Forget Outdoor Spaces is made for outdoor living areas. It's designed to clean over time with no constant effort. Just spray it on and let's do its work. It's that easy. It cleans outdoor stains caused by mold, mildew, algae and moss. Ideal for patio, sidewalks, decks, citing patio furniture and outdoor fabric. Wetn forget is always bleach free, no scrubbing, no rinsing, and you get up to fifteen hundred square feet of coverage Wet and forget outdoor spaces. The one step application available at Home Depot walmartin Myers.
Speaker 1: Welcome Backstaberline here with let's garden with Scott Berlin. I'm talking gardening with Sarah Geiger bean to my right and Jim Hansel to my left. Two incredible horticultures, plant nerds to the max, to the core, to the marrow. That's true, that is true. True. It's very good for you guys supposed to be here. Thank you for being here. Thank you, Scott. Yeah, my pleasure, A lot of fun, a lot of fun. Our number is eight hundred and eighty two three eight two five five. Give us a cough. You want to talk plants or ask questions, We've we can. We've got some talent here. We can probably answer whatever question you throw our away. I'm not going to promise but we'll give it our best shot, and we'll tell you when we don't know absolutely. That's you know, the whole point here is to give out good, good information, get people excited about plants and gardens, and get out there and doing it. So we were just going to wrap up with our favorite plants right now with the upitorium you brought up and you've.
Speaker 2: Been yeah, yeah, I was looking it up and I was surprised to find that it's native. Well, I was most surprised to find that it's a upatorium. It looks nothing like a joe pie weed or you know, bone set or anything like that. It looks like a tamarisk. It has this very feathery kind of foliage and it's very upright. We saw it in containers, we saw it in the landscape. It just looks stunning everywhere you put it. As a designer, I'm always looking for that height element to contrast with what's going on below. And it catches the wind like a grass. I don't know what kind of flower it makes, if any, but it doesn't need to because it has that incredible texture.
Speaker 1: And I'm just going to add a look that nothing else has as far as I know.
Speaker 2: Right right, it was very new and oh I want to.
Speaker 1: Use this, Yeah, I want to. I think it's actually.
Speaker 2: It's hardy six through nine. And the common name for the species is dog fennel. And apparently it's a it can be kind of weedy. It's it's native, but it's a it's a whaedy native. But this, this cultivar was bred to be sterile, and so you know, I feel better about that in a garden, even native plants, if they're extremely weedy, I don't necessarily gardening hard put exactly. You can do it, but you're creating a lot of work for yourself. So ye, so I'll look forward to growing that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this isn't really a plant a favorite plant right now. It's probably a favorite plant for the future. But it was a cultivate last week actually, which is a big trade show for the green industry and a lot of new plant introductions go on. And Terra Nova, which has put out a bunch of Achinaesia and especially coral bells over the years, so maybe the most important introducer of all the colorful coral bells, has a new line. And this is absolutely amazing. It's it's very very different. It's called uh shoot, what was it? Firewing, fire Wing, f y R E wing series of coral bells and uh it yeah, it just you look at it and you go, is that a corobell? Oh? Yeah, it is a corbel. Its recognizable as a coral bell, but the leaf is completely different. It looks like a filigree, like a really fine Japanese mate.
Speaker 2: If you didn't know that they were doing this line, you could mistake it for not a coral bell, but it would confuse you. You know, it has all the good things about the coral bells, but a totally different shape, a totally different texture. Kind of the way the leaves overlap. You guess the roughly and you know it's dissected. Some of the coral bells. Do you have a ruffle on the edge, but they're pretty much you know that that circular shape and this is a feathery they they're marketing as these look like little dragon wings, and they really do.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at a pr or press release here from Terra Nova and they put this out for the Cultivate Show. They described it as featuring deeply cut dragon inspired foliage and seven gemstone themed colors. The collection is the result of five years of intensive breeding and already being rolled out to tissue culture laboratories worldwide. And I'm being told that they're selling everything they can produce, so now now, yeah, And they said it started with an unexpected discovery rather than a planned breeding objective about five years ago, found a mutation. Listen to what they had to do. It was a no viable pollen from the flower or a functioning ovary. So they made it tetraploid. This is getting very technical. And then worked with embryos. You see embryos in everything. They get this out through the market or through the process, and in five years they went from that one FI to a series of what was it eight eight different plants, seven different plants. And you got to look at these online. Look at fire wing Hyukra. They're really different, really cool And why are e f y are you? And it may not who knows how good it grows in the ground. We'll find out. You're listening to that s Guard with Scott Burlin.
Speaker 6: Hey, if your greatest strip paint the smarter way, reach for Dumond's Smart Strip Advanced paint remover. It's available in a non aerosol spray powered by advanced bag on valve technology. This powerful water based formula cuts from multiple layers of late tex, acrylic, oil based paints, varnishes and stains one application. Best of all, it's non flammable and free from harsh chemicals. It's ideal for indoor outdoor projects. Smartstrip Advanced non aerosol Spray is available at participating Sherwin Williams and do it Best retailers Ordomoglobal dot com. You've got to try the new spread rock Walgrantite coating from dish Coating. Bring a beauty of real speckled granite to walls inside and outside your home. Create stunning accent walls in your family room, hallway, refresh your bathroom, or upgrade exterior columns, foundation walls, even sheds. Spread rock Walgranite Coating is durable, easy to apply, and available in nine beautiful colors. Best of all, just sixty eight dollars a gallon at dish codings dot com shipping free.
Speaker 5: Transform your walls today with spread rock Walgranite Coating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, welcome back. You are listening to Let's Garden Scott Berlin. I'm here with Jim Hansel. And Sarah Geiger Beam and we're talking plants and all kinds of other things and having a good time. I hope everybody else is as well. We will take your calls again. Eight hundred eighty two three eighty two fifty five. I want to talk about a favorite plant. You want to talk about a favorite task, some insight you have or ask a question. Eight hundred eight two three eight two fifty five. We are now at things we should have done last week TSK things we need to get on and Jim you had a couple of ideas.
Speaker 4: The biggest thing I need to get on and hopefully do that in between the showers this weekend is just weeding. I don't like to use I'm not anti chemical, but I like to avoid using herbicides in my garden.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 4: I don't around again, you know, it's part of our industry, it's part of what we have to do. But personally, if I can avoid that in my own garden, I will just getting out and weeding, you know, getting those weeds pulled before they flower. So that's the biggest thing, is understanding the biology of when to pull them.
Speaker 1: I have a little hand ho Yeah, it's just like if like a trousized little hoe and I you can make some good You can, yeah, progress with your weeds. You say nothing, You just get on your knees and start wandering around the garden and just how those things up. Yeah, and it really makes it different. I got it.
Speaker 4: I gotta stir up poe for those things I can't reach, you know, like I don't want to get under that. I've got a really pretty aralia cordatta sun king, and I don't want to get underneath that thing. I could just take that yep, that stirrup hoe and just cut everything off.
Speaker 1: Both those tools are really good for getting in and around other plants. Sarah, do you have anything?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, there's so much I should have done last week but did not do because I was not there for it. But things are growing like crazy right now. I came back and my bananas are ten inches taller. You know, of course, the weeds are ten inches taller. I you know, I'll be honest. I failed my tomatoes this year.
Speaker 1: I really can get away from me.
Speaker 2: I should have thinned them out, and I have never well. I have used tomato cages, but not in a long time, and not for these varieties that are just monsters and they they're getting all kinds of you know, leaf symptoms and they're just falling apart. So, you know, I think it's important that home gardeners know that even professional horticulturists, even as we're succeeding, we're always failing. Also, yeah, you're yourself.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: There's just so many different plants and every season is different, and so you know, we have we have setbacks, just like everybody.
Speaker 1: Feels like a good time to remind everybody that you're a lead associate. You've got an OGI, a master.
Speaker 2: Certification, patos for twenty five years, and I knew better, and yet you know, I just have.
Speaker 1: There's so many hours in a day.
Speaker 2: I have so much garden to take care of. I have an acre, I have a nursery, and it's just me as the caretaker also full time job and two children and everything. But but right now, I'm I'm just really hit by the how fast things are growing. You know, my snake being because.
Speaker 1: We've had consistent rain, it's been high, but with lower night temperatures it's been yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just getting those weeds out before they flower super important. Staying on top of things that are growing super fast, and you know, the things that will become a problem in a month. Now, just knock them back. I like the stirrup po I have a colinear hoe which is kind of similar, which is good for knocking down the smaller weeds. And I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay. The machete is the Paraguay and Army knife of the country.
Speaker 1: And the mother with two small children, you know, and.
Speaker 2: You're kind of make fun of me, but I have a deep love for a machete. And I before I left, I walked around and you know, where the Canada golden rod was coming up, where the ragweed was coming up. I didn't have time to pull it, but I just took this long handled machete that it goes. It's right down to ground level. If I'm holding it at waste level, and just if it's sharp, you just do a quick little splash and that knocks it back. And you know, if that's all you have time to do, that really it does a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Usually by this time of year, our turf is just dormant. Yeah, it's just you know, and I like it that way. I don't want to keep watering my turf now, so let it go brown and dormant and just not worry about it for a little while. But it's been it's been pretty consistent with rain, and I was reminded the last few times that I've mowed it's the importance of sharpening your blade. Yes, it's getting to wear.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: If I make a curve, half of it's been cut and the other half is still very tall, and that's frustrating. You're like, I thought I hit that spot, you know, because I'm stupid, I forget what's happening and why is it. I was just there. I thought I was. I thought I was. I thought I was doing a great job. But I'm not. And it's not my fault. What is my fault because they haven't sharpened my blade.
Speaker 2: But sharp tools always.
Speaker 1: And ironically they're always safer too, Yeah, for sure, working less hard with them, less fatigue. Yeah, they're doing the.
Speaker 2: Job with the machete. Like people joke it's crazy dangerous, but if you have a really short machete, you do not need much force. It's really just kind of like light easy. You use the motion of the blade. And I actually this is going to sound crazy. I think it's a decent tool for older people that don't want to bend down. If you get a machete that sized to your height. I'm lucky in this because I'm shorter, so I'm closer to the ground. I don't need a crazy long machete.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know it works if you don't have to use a lot of muscle.
Speaker 1: And you know that's the thing with every great tool, and a great reminder that when when you're using a tool, let the tool do the work. Let the tool. You're chainsawing a branch, you know, in psychic motion you can push and push and push. It doesn't work any better than if you just the chainsaw make the cut. Right. Along with that, I have another one where to go wrong? Mouse Oh, a job that we shouldn't be doing right now. So a job we should have done a few weeks ago maybe and should not do anymore this summer, And that is fertilizing most things. Anyway. You might want to still continue fertilizing containers, maybe some vegetables and things like that, but anything perennial or especially woody plants not a great idea because you're going to do what you're going to push new growth growth and go into fall or winter with that unhardened off tissue and it could be damaged or severely damaged. So you don't want to be throwing a bunch of fertilizer out. I might want to be very careful about what you.
Speaker 2: Do for a living, and especially if we get our typical late season droughts, if you're pushing a whole lot of growth, that's just making it harder for the plant to sustain and all of that growth with the roots that it has, so you know, they want to kind of slow down when things get hot and dry, and you don't want to override that by just dumping a bunch of fertilizer on them.
Speaker 1: Definitely, jim one more and then we'll move on.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to kind of steal one that we talked about during the break. It's time to start ordering bulbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Time came up on as quick as it always does. It always does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is a perfect time to get those bulb catalogs out and start dreaming for February, March, and April.
Speaker 1: And if you can remember where they are, Yeah, it's a good time to go back and dig them up and bite them. You know what I'm gonna do next year. I always say this, I am going to do this. I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Order some marking flags and I'm going to write on that flag what it is for the ones that I need to move and just stick in the middle of my clump of bulbs next year.
Speaker 1: Colored golf teas are really great for that. You could put the green in.
Speaker 2: What a good idea?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you can. You can't. I don't like a flag because it shows too much or whatever. But it's going to get a green flag and write a little name on it. We were looking at some flags in the meadow at the Oudolph Garden and they were there to mark some thing that was going to be done, and I was I was joking that, look how how they precisely placed the flags that add just a perfect color in each spot? Right, So but anyway, yeah, if you can, you know, mark them down. And you know I always mean to do it. But like when those daffodils are there, take a picture, yes, make a reminder, put it on the calendar to go and and dig those up and move them around.
Speaker 4: I sketched my garden out on an iPad, so I try to mark it on my iPad so I can at least come back, and they're not there.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're kind of in this area, so actually you have one more.
Speaker 2: Let's see. No not, You're good, Yeah, hanging, I'm going to leave you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, We'll go ahead and take a break, and uh, when we come back, we're going to talk about a student of yours, Jim, and a friend of yours. Uh, Sarah, Sarah, that's right, yeah, Sarah, And somebody I'm really fond of and have done an interview with for Horticulture magazine. Will do that when we get back in just a minute.
Speaker 5: This summer clean smarter with Jaws the just add water system. Just fill the bottle with water, insert a refill pod, and you're ready to clean. Jaws Concentrate refill pods instantly turned water into a powerful cleaner, pre measured for the perfect mix. Jaws streak free formulas, tackle glass kitchens, bathrooms, granted floors, and more, delivering great results without harsh fume. Did I mention as my favorite class cleaner Jaws better at cleaning better for you. Visit Jaws cleans dot com. That's Jaws cleans dot com.
Speaker 8: Well, I've been recommending Blackjack driveway sealers for years, and here's some great news. The Blackjack ten year Sealer drive Max one thousand features accelerated drying time in curing in cooler temperatures. Drive Max one thousand adds curb appealed delivering a light, new black finish and as you're a thane enhanced for the longest life. Drive Max one thousand available at Low's Home Depot, True Value ace in your local hardware store. Visit Blackjack Codings dot com for more information. Blackjack protecting driveways for over one hundred years.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. You're listening to Let's Guard with Scott Berlin. Our number is eight hundred eighty two three eighty two fifty five. I'm here with Sarah Geiger beIN landscape designer with Wimberg Landscaping and Jim Hansel with Great Oaks and adjunct professor of Horticulture at the University of Cincinnati. And as such, I thought I saw somebody stole my idea. So Trinity Toby is a friend of all overs, a student of yours, and just a really impressive young lady who got her degree in horticulture, but more importantly, with the help of you and Christone and other people in town. And she's not afraid to ask for help. Now she's out there pushing her her future and she has got She got a an internship at Chinicleer, which is one of the greatest gardens in the country last summer, I believe, yes, last summer. Yeah. And then she came back worked at Spring Grove where you works era. Uh for just this last yeah, good for her. She needed yeah, she needed one more class actually and uh. And then she got a very prestigious internship at what is it Great Dicks straight Dickster in England. But anyway, I got the chance to interview her for my horticulture magazine column last summer, and I think that was printed in Winter or Spring in the spring issue, but another publication picked it up. Shoot, it doesn't say which one is. I'd like to give credit to the publication, but anyway, Oh, it was Grower, Greenhouse, Grow, Greenhouse Grow. So they talked about her, you know, advancement through all these internships. She's going to have a great career. I mean that resid Yeah.
Speaker 2: My goodness, and for someone that young too, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So what was she like as a student, So her story is kind of interesting. I remember she took a class a couple of years ago, and I think maybe three or four weeks in the class, she's like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Think this is for me, that's right. I remember this story. I said, I said, well, what do you mean this isn't for you?
Speaker 4: And she said, well, yeah, you guys are always talking Latin names and all this stuff that I have no clue about. And I just told her, I said, look, give me, give it three more weeks, three more weeks. And during that three weeks, one of those classes we actually went to a garden. So I got her out in the garden and then she's like, well, this is really cool. I said, well, why did you come back Saturday, because I'm going to be working in the garden. And I said, you know, you can get some get some hands on. You know, horticulture's hands on. It's not as I mean, you can act demically study horticulture that works. But I think the miracle happened. I divided some plants in my garden and gave tour. We gave her some other plants from their gardens, took them home. I think she's from their Columbus area, and she planned with their mom's garden and that was it. Yes, once you touch the plant, once you get in the ground, and once you nurture it and care for it, you're hooked.
Speaker 1: The bug bites. Yeah, and off off she went. And and it's just, uh, not only in this world, in the green industry world and gardening, uh, but everywhere. It's so important for young people to understand you don't be afraid to go to older people, to the professionals and and talk to them and ask their advice and asked what opportunities are out there? And uh, you know you could the difference between the students, the young people who are willing to do that and the ones who don't do that is dramatic, very very dramatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think those relationships are really critical to our field uniquely because horticulture, gardening it's so much experience based. So the older you are as a gardener, you just have more reps, you have more seasons, you have more plants that you've grown and killed and you know figured out how to grow them.
Speaker 1: You know, you're compiling this body of knowledge and you know you're like I'm I've gardened forty years, I'm still getting better, you know, and you want to share that knowledge. So when somebody younger or newer comes to you and says, hey, what's going on here? I know myself and a lot of other people, most other gardeners and horticultures are more than happy to jump in. They are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I really think that's that is the difference between people who you know, really advance in this field. You have to find the mentors, and if you're not a student, you don't have to go to school for horticulture. I didn't go to school for horticulture until after I had many years of experience in the field.
Speaker 1: And like five or six other degrees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have other degrees, but yeah, I didn't fully commit to horticulture until I was in my thirties. I think, you know, I'm second career. But if I had connected with those people earlier on, you know, I, it would have made a big difference.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, we do have a caller. I think I might know who this is, Karen and Anderson Township. Hopefully we can squeeze in and answer to Karen's question, what you've got Karen.
Speaker 7: Hi Scott. Hi, good big show so far this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. It's all Jim and Sarah. Hi, Sarah, Karen, Hey, Karen, we.
Speaker 7: Have I have a new spot for some shrubs in the shade of that big beach tree. I'm not frontyard, and uh they get sun til about noon and then it's shade period, and uh, I need some evergreen shrubs to put there.
Speaker 1: Really have just a couple of minutes here, but I my first impulse is, uh maybe dire villa m you know, it's a tough, scrappy plant. I don't know how evergreen, not evergreen. No, I don't know of any evergreen options except you know, boxwoods, and I just can't recommend them, you know, I'll.
Speaker 2: Be honest, Karen. In our particular region evergreen and deep shade, dry shade. It's a it's a limited palette.
Speaker 1: We were one zone further self.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So the.
Speaker 2: Most bulletproof options are going to be user boxwoods, boxwoods. You have to treat now that we have the moth.
Speaker 1: Ever low.
Speaker 4: U that's that's been a good doer. Okay, Okay, stays Low have pruned it. I know that I know Karen and she's got deer galory. Yeah, mark that one off the list, right.
Speaker 2: They might not kill it, but they'll prune.
Speaker 5: It for you.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think maybe maybe, yeah, going off the wall a little bit, maybe hadconic clo of grass which isn't evergreen, but it's it maintains it pretty look and it's okay one for dry shades, So that might be an option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't seen.
Speaker 1: It's called Japanese forest grass. Japanese forest grass con a medium. Some of the EPI mediums they're lower but low, some are taller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they can take the root competition that your beach will will give.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I I haven't seen your site, Karen, but uh, a beach tree is a beautiful thing. The trunk is a beautiful thing, and you know, maybe just stick with those low perennials that can handle that. It's so challenging under you know, those big hardwood trees.
Speaker 1: Especially beach them and the beaches in Maple. Yeah, they have this thick surface roots and just makes it so hard and.
Speaker 2: You see them in the wild and there's really not a lot growing under the mature ones. If anything, some herbaceous plant.
Speaker 1: I think the only thing I've seen really grow well. Underneath is a bulb called Silla siberica, which isn't really well under those, but it's just an ephemeral bulb that comes out and it goes away. So a tough, tough, tough site, but the beach is worth having. When we come back, boy, we're gonna have some fun. Now, Joe Box joining us. We'll talk about what's happening out with past diseases or whatever Joe wants to talk about, right, so we'll enjoy that. Stay with us. You're listening to Let's Garden with Scott Burline
Speaker 7: People Pureus and Senses Sta