Speaker 1: This is Bengals Game Plan presented by bud Light on the Bengals Radio Network. Brought to you by bud Light, bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, paycorep Paycore is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: And away we go. A very pleasanant evening, everybody, and welcome to the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy Here on ESPN fifteen thirty. I'm Dan Horn with my partner in Pal, Dave Lapham. We are live tonight at the MVP Sports Bar here in Silver ten. This looks like a great place to watch a game. Flat screens all over the place, a long bar with a bunch of taps, plenty of seating, lots of parking across the street. If you don't already have plans to be at Paycorp Stadium tomorrow night, can't get a ticket? Hopefully you still can, but in any case, come here, MVP Sports Bar. Looks like this would be a fun place to watch the Bengals beat the Steelers. Yes, tomorrow night, put it on. It is going to happen tomorrow night. At midnight, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be four and two. You heard it here? Yes, all right, we are going to be here for the next two hours. We have a very special guest who is with us here in the first hour of the show. Rather than simply introducing him, we're gonna turn the clock back. Ah playoff game from a few years ago. Bengals and Ravens game is tied the fourth quarter. Baltimore is inches away from taking the lead, but it didn't happen, thanks too. Arguably the greatest single play in Cincinnati Bengals history. Let's hear Hord and Lapham screaming our heads up. Third down in gold from the one hot sticks the ball out. Bengals have the ball.
Speaker 3: They are running it back Sam Hubbard with blockers behind him.
Speaker 2: Hubbard of the Ravens forty, the thirty, the twenty, the.
Speaker 4: Ten, the bum touchdown.
Speaker 3: Bengals Tyler Huddley tried to extend the ball over the goal line. It got poked away, Sam Hubbard scooped it up and ran the length of the field for a go ahead Bengals touchdowns.
Speaker 5: Oh that was awesome. That was awesome.
Speaker 2: Forget about the call. The play was the greatest play in franchise history. We're obviously joined tonight by the great Sam Hubbard. So cool to see you again and have you join us on the show for the first hour tonight. Should we get you.
Speaker 5: In oxygen masks?
Speaker 2: Just from listening back to that, I feel pretty good.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what that was. That was great memories. You know, they stir up in the memory bank when play that and listen to that. A playoff game, score a touchdown in a playoff game, you were a defensive football player. You're you're alnman. You're up front, you're in the trenches, you're working, you're working against offensive lineman all day, toiling, sweating. What was it like to score touchdowns a defensive player.
Speaker 2: In a playoff game? Ninety eight yards?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I mean it's awesome to be here today. You said memories, I'm you know, walk in here and sign a bunch of pictures. Take some picture pictures of people, and every picture that they asked me to sign and brought back a different memory, different great play.
Speaker 5: From my career. And you know.
Speaker 6: From rookie year to offensive plays to sacks and Houston and twenty twenty win in the game. I mean, just good to be here today, but that play specifically was You know, the thing I remember the most is sitting in my locker after the game, completely exhausted.
Speaker 5: And you know, media is going crazy and.
Speaker 6: Zach Taylor walks up to me, as I'm saying, there taking my tape off my feet, and you know, usually it takes a while the head coach you get in there. It was maybe five minutes and he runs in and finds me and taps me on the shoulder. He's like, you realize they're saying that's the greatest play in Bengals history, and it's like the most vivid memory that I have.
Speaker 5: I was like, wow, really that just happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really and I don't think there's any doubt about it. I mean, when you think back to the great moments in Bengals history, the Freezer Bowl is the most well remembered game, but there wasn't a specific play in that game other than this guy coming out with short sleeves.
Speaker 5: But no sleeves ever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But in terms of a single play, I don't think that there's any doubt that that is the most iconic play in fifty eight years of Bengal's history. And it was made by a kid who grew up in Cincinnati. And as Mike Tarico said and his version of the play, the Cincinnati kid and awesome.
Speaker 5: The thing that is impressive as a former Lignement is how fast you ran in that thing?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 5: And you I mean you, you were moving pretty good. Yeah, you were moving pretty good. Seventeen eight, seventeen eight, that might be you. That's pretty good track. That's pretty good, you know. And what were you waiting at the time? About sixty five?
Speaker 6: I run sprints after practice every day with Trey, and he was hitting twenty miles an hour.
Speaker 5: Was happy with seventeen? Man, got me there. That's all all that matter. I remember seeing you guys do those gasters man, Yeah, went to the field, not the length of whip down back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was after every practice, traded the paid off you do it one after every practice?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What number play was that on the drive? Because it was a super long, time consuming, draining drive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was fourteen plays, But the only reason we're in that position was because they had a huge explosive play and Jesse Bates ran across the field, tackles, touchdowns, even tackle in the three yard line just to give us a chance. And you know, if you tapped out right there, the game would have been probably over. So it was a collective effort just to fight and scratching claw on dogfight, and two guys jumped knocked the ball out, both Logan and Jermaine Pratt. It was just such a team effort because honestly, we were playing the Ravens back to back and they kind of figured out our offense, and it's tough to it's tough to be to any team in the NFL two weeks in a row Autia.
Speaker 5: Right, People forget that. That's how that locked up.
Speaker 2: That was crazy, you know, so obviously remember that play, But I also remember your reaction after the playoff win over the Raiders to start the Super Bowl run in twenty twenty one, because you were so happy as a Cincinnati person who had endured all this taught the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in thirty years. Blah blah blah. You were just so overjoyed and proud to be part of the team that ended the streak and now you know, could forget about that, move on and try to keep winning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, after the game, I was definitely happy er than most, And during the week leading up, I was way more stressed than most because I've seen us get to the playoffs. I think it was five years straight in the twenty tens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with.
Speaker 6: Heartbreak after heartbreak, and I just couldn't imagine us, you know, going through that again.
Speaker 5: We had to be the ones to get it done.
Speaker 6: This was the year, and uh, you know, we were locked in throughout the week and wasn't trying to add any more pressure on anybody, But I told this story.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: After the game, I was running up to Joe. I'm like, do you realize what we just did? We broke the curse? And he was so nonchalant, like what We're like, we were gonna win, Like I walked. I expected nothing more than to win, and I just was like, you don't understand what we just did.
Speaker 2: So at his postgame news conference that night, it was so blase. Yeah, it was good. If we play again next week, right, matter of fact, very matter of fact.
Speaker 5: So you're you're more high school Ohio State since Bengals your other the Cincinnati Kidds Mike Thrikoke Trico said, what what did it it mean for you to play your entire career from start to finish, first nap to last nappen all the great things in between with the Cincinnati Bengals. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: You know, it was everything to me that first off, getting drafted back to Cincinnati. You know, I was anticipating going a bit higher. You know, I had some struggles with the forty and bench press and whatnot, and I ended up going into the third after thinking I was going to be going much earlier. And I was at my draft party downtown, get a call from Marvin Lewis, and uh, you know that starts it off as like, you know, I don't care how late I got drafted. I'm going to the Banks. Everyone was so excited, and you know, you get there and you you you expect it to be, you know, like homecoming, all glory. You know, you win every game at Ohio State almost and you know we've faced a lot of struggles. The whole staff gets fired after rookie year. It was just a lot of up and downs, and then to ride that wave all the way from the bottom back up to the success we had and you know, now we're in We're expected to be in the playoffs every year, expect to go to the Super Bowl. To leave it in that condition was just so important, And I'm thankful and couldn't imagine putting on another jersey. So I sleep easy every night knowing I'm a Bengal for life. Yeah, and that's very important to me. And I'm still here jumping on the radio with my ever got.
Speaker 2: So lap played in Super Bowl sixteen, you played in Super Bowl fifty six. He can recall details to this day, you know, the tiniest detail. I mean, when you close your eyes, can you just remember everything about being at so far that day?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt, not as much as the it's two weeks leading up to the game, Not as much as the weeks preparing. But once you know, you get on the bus, you put your suit on, you you get to the locker room.
Speaker 5: From then on, you know, from warm.
Speaker 6: Ups to every play, it's just such a heightened time in your life where you you really do remember everything. I really haven't gone back and watched the film. I gotta be honest, but there was no one. No I have, but like, it's not something I do. I did it once and I was like, you know.
Speaker 2: My advice is to cut it off with about two minutes. Fantastic up until then.
Speaker 6: Man, that was a tough one to get over. But what a run, What a magical time in the city. I mean getting back from that game. We got back late, both from the AFC Championship and from the Super Bowl. I remember pulling into it had to be hundreds thousands of people outside the gate of the stadium welcome the US back. And I have no idea how they knew what time or when we're getting back.
Speaker 5: But I told them.
Speaker 6: But just the energy in the city was unbelievable all throughout.
Speaker 5: What I remember what it was like in Super Bowl sixteen, prepping for it and then going up to Pontiac and then trying to sleep the night before the Super Bowl. I could not. Man, I was struggling, you know. I was tossing the turning. I was thinking about all kinds of all kinds of plays, all kinds of formation schematics. It was like, man, my mind was going one hundred miles an hour. What was it like for you the night before the Super Bowl? Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 6: I feel like the night before games, you know, you have your routine. Yeah, you go to your final meeting, you get your snack, you go back to your room, and you know, throughout that week you're in you're on site. We were in LA for a whole week, right, so we basically had moved into what would be our hotel rooms, like an apartment. So throughout the whole week it was stressful. You know, you're thinking about everything. I was, you know, every day I would do a meditation, you know, stay off social media, trying to limit as much stimulus as to what's actually going on. And the night before the game, I can't say I remember tossing and turning, but I remember throughout the whole week having to control my nervous system. Because that's what everyone says is it's such a big game that by the time kickoff happens, you're totally zapping energy. So I was doing everything I could. I wasn't even texting people back, you know, I was just focus on just you.
Speaker 5: Know, doing my job, doing my routines. And that's all that mattered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Hubbard is our special guest tonight. Sam, of course retired at the end of last season. He's living his best life in retirement. He got married, there's been traveled, there's been fly fishing, doing all sorts of great stuff. But we are going to be putting him to work with the Cincinnati Bengals. He's going to be doing a segment periodically on the Bengals Weekly TV show where he breaks down video of Bengals plays, trying to come up with the right name Sam spotlight Hubbard's highlights. I'm not sure which we'll find something that works, but in any case, we are going to do a radio version on this show tonight. When we come back. We're gonna play some highlights from last week's game at Greenby Green Bay. Sam is taking a look at these plays. He's gonna tell us what really happened to some of these key moments in last week's game. This is the Bengals Game Plan Show. We are live at the MVP Sports Bar in Silverton. Sam is here until seven Lap and I are here until eight. On ESPN fifteen thirty. You are listening to The Bengals Game Plan Show. Presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, live on a Wednesday night from the MVP Sports Bar here in Silverton on Plainfield Road. If you are in the neighborhood, come out and join us. Lap and I are here until eight o'clock tonight. Our special guest until seven is form Bengals defensive end Sam Hubbard, As we get you set for Thursday Night football coming up tomorrow at pay Course Stadium, the dreaded, hated, yes, but grudgingly respected Pittsburgh Steelers are coming to town. They're going down to Borrow Night. They come in at four and one. There will be four and two at the end of the game, as the Bengals are gonna get it done tomorrow with Joe Flacco at quarterback. All right, As I promised earlier, we are going to be debuting a new segment tonight, really kind of previewing something that's going to be coming up on the Bengals Weekly TV show, because Sam periodically is going to be breaking down video and really sharing an expert's view of what takes place on some of the key plays in games. So we're gonna try an audio version of this tonight. We are going to start in the fourth quarter of last week's game at green Bay. It's the Bengals ball. It is fourth down and five at the green Bay nineteen yard line. Here's what happened. Flacco in the gun, three receivers left, one right, Hey Ryan in the backfield to five Van Rush. Flaco throwing and the pass is cau Oh my goodness, how in God's name to Jamar Chase catch that ball?
Speaker 8: Now he's doing the gritty in the end zone. The Bengals get a nineteen yard touchdown pass to Jamar Chase when he wasn't open.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, all right, Sam Hubbard. Other than seeing a great catch, what stood out to you when you watch that play on tape?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that play, it's an unbelievable play when you watch it. But what's most important is the context, I think from the previous play. When you watch the previous play, fellow Moller graduate Carrington Valentine, he's guarding Jamar, is an uncatchable pass. He swats it down, you know, gets in Jamar's face, does the gritty right, Jamar calmly walks back to the huddle, you know, gets the play lines back up, and if you know Jamar, which I think you all get a peek.
Speaker 5: Into his mindset and who he is.
Speaker 6: You know that if he lines up that next play and the ball is thrown to him, he's probably coming down with it. So I know he was double covered, impossible catch.
Speaker 5: But if you if you.
Speaker 6: Know how Jamar's is, how competitive, what type of teammate he is, and if you watch that whole drive too, I mean, he's the one that got him down the field. So you know, it's easy for a team to be celebrating when they're up like that, but you know, when you have your captain receiver, best receiver in the NFL delivering like that and a tough time and after something like that happened to play before and rising to the occasion, I thought it was a really special play in.
Speaker 2: The game now that you mentioned, and I recall Lap saying on the broadcast after Valentine grittied, let's be careful, Yeah man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't. Don't you know, poke the bear, the bear, rattle the best hive. You know you'll get stung, baby, you get stung a bunch, because I mean, the great ones they don't like that stuff.
Speaker 6: No he doesn't, Well you won't show it. But the next play, yeah, you better triple because you.
Speaker 5: Set yourself up for a beatdown, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to a highlight number two. This is actually a couple of plays put together. That's spotlight a player on defense who had a fantastic game. Let's listen to these plays. On second down and seven, Love under center from the Bengals twenty six yard line. Here's a screen out to the left ice and the Bengals read it and make the tackle. Dobbs brought down by Turner back at the twenty seven yard line, a loss of one. Play action faith Love over the middle broken up by DJ Turner, Who's deflected a couple of passes today. He also had the deflection that led to an ist by Gino Stone early in the game. That pass was intended for Golden. DJ Turner had five pass breakups in the game. That's crazy for a single game. He now leads the NFL with eleven. What stood out about his play last Sunday?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I wanted to highlight DJ because what you're looking at is really ascending young player who you know. He came in two years ago from the University of Michigan, ran a.
Speaker 5: Four to two six or something crazy like that.
Speaker 6: And last year you really saw him coming on as the year went on, getting more snaps.
Speaker 5: There was a rotation going on. He was making more and.
Speaker 6: More plays than all of a sudden freak play, he breaks his collarbone coming down for a ball, and that's something you can't really control. But I've been watching him this season. I think that is his technique, his eye discipline, his closing speed is something that you can't really even coach. And on that bubble play, I mean he ran ten yards in the blink of an eye and undercutting the route for the PBu and you mentioned the pick. I think DJ Turner is emerging as the cornerback one on the team, and definitely keep your eye on him as as you watch him work. As you watch him, you know, really lead this back end as far as making plays. But also I think he's become become more more vocal and more involved as he as I said, he's ascending, becoming a grown man in the NFL almost I do.
Speaker 5: I think you know, he's very physical. I mean he and tackling in open space. When you have all that open area around you, it's tough. I mean you know, the spotlights on you, the camera's on you. If you whiff, if you miss, you know you're gonna get dogged.
Speaker 6: And uh, he's not afraid to go set the edge too as a corner downhill on the dollers, you know, force everything back inside. You don't see him jumping under blocks on screen passes. He stays on his gap and maintains leverage, does a good job understanding leverage and coverage.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, it's been fun watching him grow up. He's a real intelligent guy. Teammates talk about that is football IQ and his overall intelligence. But they also say that, you know, he's really a good guy. You know, one of those guys that's you know, easy to get along with. Everybody in the locker room kind of gravitates toward him and everything that everybody respects, you know, what he has to say and how he says.
Speaker 6: It, even though he's a mission Yeah, you can.
Speaker 5: I definitely second that he is that guy.
Speaker 6: And every year, like you know, those guys, they find something better every year to better their routine, their preparation. Right, bring other guys along with him. He is definitely one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Right, all right. DJ also had a hand literally. In our next highlight, this is the Packers opening drive as they march the ball into the red zone. It's third down in five for Green Bay. Shotgun snap rush coming up the middle. Love begins scrambling right. They can't get him down yet.
Speaker 8: Now he throws and it is intercepted, deflected and picked off.
Speaker 2: The Bengals are running it back. It's Geno Stone.
Speaker 8: He's out of bounds at the thirty seven yard line.
Speaker 5: I think it might have been DJ Turner that tipped it. You're correct, Yeah, DJ Turner got a hand on it.
Speaker 2: Red zone takeaways are huge. What was the key there?
Speaker 6: I like to look at Geno Stone, you know, genostone if you see him flash on the film film coming downhill, making big hits, and I think the physicality aspect he brings to the game of some of this defense needs from the back end. Obviously, you see him get a couple of takeaways this year. You know he we all struggled. It was a tough year last year defensively, but Gino's a seventh round pick, a guy that grinded for everything that he's gotten, worked his way up the depth chart to I think he led the NFL and interceptions. His his final year in Baltimore, comes here new you know, new team, new environment, and I really like the way he's played these last few weeks as far as an emotional leader, as far as a tone setter in the back end.
Speaker 5: Uh, this was a takeaway which you know.
Speaker 6: Really gave the defense confidence going into this next three quarters. But I also like the place where he's coming down hill and really knocking guys backwards. And you know that's you know, with the young linebackers in front of you, that can go a long way as far as the mentality for your defense.
Speaker 5: And he's definitely one of the leaders on this team. He is, that's another one that will, uh, he'll hit you. Both safeties will come downhill and knock you back. You know, I mean, what's it? How how valuable is it for defense to have two guys like that that will come downhill and really play the run physically, aggressive, super tough, and be so talent and effective on the back end as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's it's really important because you know, if you're three deep, you know you have another basically linebacker in the box right with their and strong safety dropping down. But I was fortunate to have two of the best safeties you know, I ever played with Von Bell Jesse Bates, and we won a lot of game with games with those guys, and they were the quarterbacks of our defense. And I see that Jordan Battle and Gino Stone are emerging. Jordan was, you know, just a young guy a few years ago. You see his play elevating. He's moving a lot faster, you know, anticipating things, communicating better. We had a very young back end these last few years. Replacing those guys that I mentioned. I think that they're really coming into their own and going to be a strength of this team for the games to come.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got one more highlight. Bengals didn't score in the first half, but they opened the second half with a seventeen play touchdown. Let's hear how that drive ended. Fourth down in goal. The Bengals line up to go for it a little more than two yards away. Biggins and Yosi Bosh out to the right, Hudson and Chase out to the left. Pe Ryan in the backfield.
Speaker 8: Flacco catches the shotgun, snap pump fakes throws into the end zones caught in the back of the end zone under the goalpost by Tanner Hudson.
Speaker 2: What'd you see there?
Speaker 6: That was just two veterans. You know, you got Flacco's first game. You know, you're fourth down, You're you're throwing to Tanner Hudson, who the play before had another fifteen yard catch just to get him in this position. And Tanner's played for seven teams, been in the league a long time. I think he was in my class. And obviously we all know how much football Flacco has played. But when you have guys that have been around the block that much and know what needs to get done, they can really improvise. And I thought that was just such a you know, impressive touchdown just to you know, keep the game alive. And that's what Flacco does for this team. He can really, you know, improvise. He can make things happen, uh, see situations in the game, communicate, you know, commanded huddle. He got there four days ago. I was just so impressed with the pump fake and doing whatever he needed. I was actually I think his third read on the play, second or third read on the fourth down on the coal line, so uh, you know, they're staying alive. And I thought that, you know, we'll see more comfortability from from those veterans and the and the on the offense for the weeks to come.
Speaker 5: You know the thing about that play that was impressed to it's uh to create an extent like they did when they've only been together for a short period of time, you know, four days. Yeah, I mean like mental telepathy. They were kind of like reading each other's mind and like you said, the pump fake kind of triggered Tanner Hudson to make that final move that that that broke him open. And uh, that was that was a big play. That was a that was a huge play. Tanner Hudson's another guy that's a very intelligent football player. Is Yes, Yeah, he won a Super Bowl with the Buccaneers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's an underrated block. Yeah he's he'll he'll get after it. We definitely.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: I still think Drew Sample is one of the best blockers in the day. But uh, you know, all those guys will do when they need to. Another guy I can't wait to see back is Eric All.
Speaker 5: He's He's he can really that's my guy. I can see him back.
Speaker 2: This segment was good. I think that worked out well, real good. I love it. I think we've I think we've stumbled into something.
Speaker 5: This was excellent.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take a time out. Sam was the Ruler of the Jungle in the home opener. Tomorrow night's ruler of the Jungle is Andrew Whitworth. We'll hear from Big Wit now. This is the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by Big Light, live from the MVP Sports Bar in Silverton here on ESPN fifteen thirty. We are back at the MVP Sports Bar here in Silverton. It's the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by Bud Light. I'm Dan Hord with Dave Lapham. Our special guest until seven o'clock tonight is Sam Hubbard, former Bengals great Ohio state standout, Molar High School legend. Speaking of Molar High School legends, my longtime broadcast partner on UC football games, Jim Kelly, passed away last weekend. Jim was a great football player and track star at Molar High School. He also frequently played music here at the MVP Sports Bar in Silverton with his guitar. He would stand on the small stage here and entertain everybody here. They are going to name the small stage here Jim's hotter, which is awesome. So thank you for the folks here at MVP Sports Bar. That's good for honoring my friend Jim Kelly. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. All Right, Bengals play the Steelers tomorrow night. As we mentioned, the ruler of the jungle is going to be Andrew Whitworth. It's a huge game for Cincinnati. It's a great opportunity. The Steelers are four and one, but they don't have a great win yet. They did beat the Patriots, but the Patriots fumbled four times in that game. They dominated in every other way, but they kind of handed it away with the turnovers. There were five total turnovers in that game. Pittsburgh still has to play the Packers, the Colts, the Chargers, the Bills, the Lions. They've got two games late in the season against Baltimore when Lamar will be back. You've got to think they're going to come back to the pack a little bit. If the Bengals could get a head to head win tomorrow, it would be huge. Let's hear from Andrew Whitworth, who's coming to town for Amazon Prime.
Speaker 9: They look like that team that's just gonna take over the AFC North this year and kind of have a smooth run to win in this division. So if you want to mess that up, you want to be the guy who comes in and ruins that whole story, you know, and you want to say there's still a lot of promise left in the season. These are the kind of games you got to rise to the occasion.
Speaker 5: Last week you.
Speaker 9: Rose the occasion in Green Bay, heck of a challenge, all these things, you almost got it done. But this week it's one of those that you have to get it done. And so you know what, who can go out and be the best burdens of ourselves, every gown, our team. Let's go out and give it our absolute best to really change the narrative of the rest of our season.
Speaker 5: Because you win that one, you will.
Speaker 9: You'll change the way people are talking about you, You'll change the way you believe in yourself, and you'll change the vision you have for the rest of the season and how it's going to go.
Speaker 2: Sam, I'm not going to use the words must win, because it's not. You never know what can happen from here on in shoot. Aaron Rodgers could get hurt tomorrow night I'm not wishing that on him, but things happen. It's football, but it's obviously a pivotal game. If the Bengals win tomorrow, they've got home games coming up against the Jets and the Bears. They could put themselves really right back in the thick of things with a win tomorrow night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 6: And I think that you know, it's it's gonna be an electric environment Thursday Night always is.
Speaker 5: You know, you got the white Bengal.
Speaker 6: I think they use that energy to their advantage and you know, go all in.
Speaker 5: You know, this is a it's not a must win game.
Speaker 6: You know, I don't like that phrase, but you know, every AFC North game is essential, and uh, this is their first opportunity to go against the Steelers this year. It's a physical battle. I think that they, you know, leave they got nothing to lose. You go out there, you leave it all out at the table. You try out physical and you're trying to run the ball, you try and get some takeaways. Earlier, I remember playing Monday Night against Big Ben and the Steelers in twenty twenty. We were probably two and ten at that time, two and eleven. We had you know, know nothing to play for. They I think they.
Speaker 5: Were Startlen eleven or two at the time.
Speaker 6: We get an early takeaway early in that game, get a pick, von Bell knocks out Juju Smith Schuster and it was one of the best wins of my entire career.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I had so much fun out there making plays, just doing it for the guys that you're playing next to and doing it for the city. So I think that if they take that same approach and just you know, let it fly, it could be a good night.
Speaker 5: For the ben Us. I think it could be. It's it's gonna be uh, it's gonna be very interesting. I think turnovers are going to be big. They are in the in this football. Yeah, early on, establish your presence early, you know, make some kind of a physical statement, whether it's the guy you know turning making the turnover, turning the football over with the interception, fumble, recovery or whatever it might be. Or do a Sam Hubbin take that turnover back to the house. That would be work, that would be even better. But it is It's like every every position group, every player in that position group has to take it upon himself to to to bring it, to bring it at the highest level possible. The physicality part of that, the attention to detail, performing your role, your your assignment to the to the utmost and like you never have before on a on a regular basis, play by play, snap by snap, quarter by quarter, half by half, whatever. I mean, you just got to get it done. No excuses, no excuses, football game whatsoever. You just I mean, it's a division game. Division games are monstrous. You're like, if you win, it's like a win and a half. You know, you get a little bit of a little bit of an edge there. So this one's big, man, this one's monstrous.
Speaker 6: I heard Flacco say something in his press conference about you know, what do you say to teams that are on a losing skid? And I thought it was really interesting, how, you know, everyone's so focused on worrying about the criticisms and if people are saying they're doing well and really, in reality, you know, everyone's trying to do their own part right. And I think that's a really contagious good mindset for the team to take over. And he's obviously been around the block, and I think that that'll be a positive catalyst for him to not overthinking and not be too worried about the analysis or the film critics and just go out there and make some plays.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, you faced Aaron Rodgers eight years ago at Green Bay.
Speaker 5: What stood out Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we played him I think in twenty twenty one, and his ability to anticipate create. He was playing with DeVante Adams at that time and they were playing like backyard football, just drawing up plays and no matter how many guys we try to cover, they always were one step ahead. And you know, he's just seen so much football. He's he's still you know, moving pretty good getting the ball out. I don't think he wants to get hit like he used to. But his arm is generational and got the utmost respect for him and his his career. And it's a challenge. It's a challenge to keep him in the pocket. It's a challenge to disrupt his throwing lanes and not let him feel comfortable back there. If they get some hits on him early, you know, run some games twisted up that could definitely, you know, make him a little too anticipatory and not I want to sit back there so comfortable.
Speaker 5: And you make great points there. I mean, that's a that's a good synopsis Scott to report there on on Aaron Rodgers for sure. I think the one thing about him now too, is he's enjoying football again. Yeah. When he was with the Jets in New York, it was a chore for him. It didn't see like he was having fun. I mean, this is a kid's game. It's grown men playing a kids in for the first time ever, you have two quarterbacks over forty years old playing against each other and they're playing the most important position in the kid's game. Yeah, so you know, go out and enjoy it. Go out and have fun, man, you know, don't let the weight of the world fall on your shoulders. I mean, it's something that everybody would love to do, and you're the chosen one. You're the one that's been selected to go do it, So take full advantage of it and have the best time of your life.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool that Joe Flacco is facing an older quarterback. Yes, he's forty, and he's the young guy in this match.
Speaker 5: Like it.
Speaker 2: He was pretty good last week, that's for sure. Hopefully his second half against Green Bay carries over for four quarters tomorrow night. We're gonna take a time out when we come back. We are going to listen back to the final play of Sam Hubbard's NFL career. This is the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by butt Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, live from the MVP Sports Bar in Silverton on ESPN fifteen thirty Borrow Night on Thursday Night Football. It's the Bengals against the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's gonna be a white out. Bengals will have their white Bengals uniforms on. The white helmet, the white jerseys, the white pants. It's a great look. I don't know if it's just me. You guys like look faster in those unis. Did you feel differently when you wore those?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they always say white sox, white cleats. You can look faster on films right to wear them as much?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Sam Hubbard is our guest for another thirteen minutes or so here at the MVP Sports Bar in Silverton. At the beginning of the show, we listened back to the fumble in the jungle. That was actually one of three touchdowns that Sam scored in his NFL career, which is pretty unusual for a defensive lineman.
Speaker 5: No doubt.
Speaker 2: As a rookie, he scored on a fumble recovery against the Dolphins. He's been signing pictures of that tonight. Several people brought photos of that play. And then there was the touchdown he scored in his final NFL game in what turned out to be his final NFL play December fifteenth last year in Nashville against the Tennessee Titans. Let's listen.
Speaker 8: Back Burrow fakes a handoff, throws a pass.
Speaker 4: Sam Hubbard with the catch, touchdown Bengals. Sam Hubbard raising the football over his head and spiking at Gronk style after the first catch.
Speaker 2: How of his NFL career.
Speaker 5: Sam Hubbard started his career at Moeler High School as a tight end. Sam Hubbard is an athlete, Sam Hubbard. That's a great fingertip catch.
Speaker 2: It really was a heck of a catch.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it wasn't like right into your chest. It was pretty well defended and you had to grab like the back half of the ball.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I know that that whole play. Coming to Fruition was a season long process, you know. The I had a conversation with Zach early in the year after a couple of injuries. How we're gonna rotate some young guys and play some more and I was gonna mentor them, and uh, there was gonna be more ways that I could help the team, and one of them was we needed a third tight end because I think Eric had just gotten hurt. So you know, we I was going in there for a little bit of blocking and uh, obviously with the goal one day to have a pass put in for us, and we ran, you know, blocking play after blocking play, and then one week the look was kind of there for for us to have an opportunity. And that week at practice, Joe grabbed me the side and said, if we're gonna actually run this, you gotta do it full speed. So we ran about ten corner routes at full speed before practice. He threw a lasers at me and told me, you know you're gonna have a guy on you. It's gonna it's not gonna be an easy catch. And sure enough, you know, shock that Zach called it on the third down, and uh, I knew that getting out there, I had to come.
Speaker 5: Down with the ball.
Speaker 6: Uh, and you know, the guy was.
Speaker 5: On my shoulders. It was a perfectly thrown ball.
Speaker 6: And under no circumstances, I was not gonna come down with it, and uh, just what a great play, what a great moment. I'm couldn't picture a better, better last play in your career. Although it did cause an injury and cut it short, but uh, I think Ted Carris told me that was the coolest play he's ever ever seen in person.
Speaker 5: That meant a lot to me. So what a great moment. What what did it mean for two guys that are lifelong football friends. I mean, you and Joe Burrow played football at Ohio State together, and you're you played tight end at Ohio State and you were a good tight end, ran solid roads, caught the football, excellent blocker. For you guys to come to the National Football League in your last game as a professional, you two guys took up for a touchdown. It's almost like the football gods said, this is the way it's going to be. This is the way it's going to be for Sam Harbard in this particular football game. What was what was it like for you guys to execute that play together? I mean, its unbelievable.
Speaker 6: I asked Joe after the game for his jersey, and a few months later I get a beautifully framed signs with a special message from Joe.
Speaker 5: Let's take sure of the play from Joe's sanatics hooked it up.
Speaker 6: It's the centerpiece of my basement, you know, one of my most surprized possessions.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, you can't even put it to words.
Speaker 6: It's it's so special because you know, we've been through so much of our years together, so much adversity.
Speaker 5: Still to this day, you know, talk regularly.
Speaker 6: And one of the best quarterbacks I think to ever play. I agree, you know, that's that's doesn't come lately.
Speaker 2: What kind of display do you have for the fumble in the jungle.
Speaker 6: It's actually in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I got the cleats, I got the jersey, I got all everything.
Speaker 5: About the football. The football is in the Pro Football of Fame.
Speaker 6: But on loan you can get it back, so I think there as long as they want it.
Speaker 5: But nice they don't want all happily take it back. Yeah right, how about that though? What's what's that like to have something in Canton? You know that that has to be special.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if it's not, you know, my jersey or whatever for being the Pro Football for Pro Football Hall of fame.
Speaker 5: I'll take whatever I can get. There you go, I'm worth I'm worth you. That'll work for me. All right.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take our final time out during this portion of the show, while we still have Sam. We're gonna come back and play America's favorite game show. Yes we call it, No Your School. Five questions about Ohio State. Sam has to get at least three rights to be a winner. This is the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light. We're live at the MVP Sports Bar here in Silverton at ESPN fifteen thirty. We are back at the MVP Sports Bar and Grill here in Silverton. Game Plan Show presented by bud Light. This place, by the way, voted the best place to watch a Bengals game in Cincinnati. That was in City Beat. So congratulations night to the MVP Sports Bar and Grill. And if you are dubious of that distinction, come out here tomorrow night and see for yourself. You've got great food, cold beverages, plenty of flat screen TVs, lots of seating, lots of parking. Again, it's the MVP Sports Bar and Grill here in Silverton on Plainfield Road. All right, this is our last segment with Sam Hubbard. We appreciate Sam's hour tonight and all the autographs he's signed, a pictures he's taken. I know Bengals fans really appreciate that. Final segment of the show is called No Your School. Yes, five questions about Ohio State. For a former Buckeye, you must get at least three rights to be declared a winner. Are you ready, Sam Hubbert?
Speaker 5: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Question number one, Ohio State had a different name when it was founded in eighteen seventy. Gonna make this one multiple choice. Is it a the Western Ohio Polytechnic School, B Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, or C the Buckeye Institute.
Speaker 6: I appreciate the multiple choice I figured you might and the three choices. I know they have an agricultural school still of drive By.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: The Buckeye Institute sounds pretty good, though, I'm gonna have to go with to B.
Speaker 2: B is correct, the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College. You're one for one. Question number two, Ohio State has seven retired numbers. I would not expect anyone to know all seven. Can you name two players who had their uniform number retired at Ohio State. M Archie Griffin Archie is one.
Speaker 5: Arch Moe Archie Griffin, Archie and Ray the brothers.
Speaker 2: Did not have his number.
Speaker 5: No, he did not know good player? Did the linebackers Spielman?
Speaker 2: No, Chris Pielman did not.
Speaker 5: Chris Bielman did not.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a hint of the more recent ones. There's another running back Eddie George is correct.
Speaker 5: Good call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Forty five and twenty seven, I believe were there Ohio State numbers.
Speaker 5: Did Dan Wilkinson retire?
Speaker 2: He did not. No such luck for big Daddy.
Speaker 5: Daddy.
Speaker 2: I think I'll buy everybody in the bar drink. If you could name the other ones, it's not going to happen. They are less Horvath, Vic Janowitz, Howard Cassidy, Chick Hoply, and Bill Willis.
Speaker 5: Howard, hap hop Along Cassidy.
Speaker 2: Question number three, what is the name of the Ohio State mascot? Correct? All right, you're three for three, so now you just go for the perfect score. Question number four, what legendary coach led Ohio State to its first national championship in nineteen forty two?
Speaker 6: Nineteen forty two, Yes, Wow. The answer is usually what he hates for everything, not.
Speaker 2: In this case, not that far back. I'll give you a hint. I need Dave Lapham played for him. Not in nineteen forty two.
Speaker 5: No, no, not in forty two, Paul Paul Brown is correct.
Speaker 2: Brown is correct.
Speaker 5: He really I did not know.
Speaker 2: Good nugget. Question number five, what does T B, D B I T L stand.
Speaker 5: For the best damn band in the land?
Speaker 2: You got it? That is correct.
Speaker 5: Those are good questions.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you. Wikipedia is a wonderful tool.
Speaker 5: The best, the.
Speaker 6: Best damn fans in the land in the best damn band in the moment.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'll tell you I was a band geek. I was in the high school band. Seeing Ohio State. The eye is still one of the coolest things in sports here. Is that very cool? It's really good. Sam Hubbard, thank you so much for coming out and doing this. I do want to tell folks again you will be doing some stuff for the Bengals Weekly TV show and for our Friday show, so we look forward to having you make some appearances on our Friday show later this year. But thank you so much for coming out tonight. I know the fans loved it and really appreciate it. It's here for Sam Hubbard.
Speaker 5: Guys. You what, man, You're a class act, unbelievable human being. Just a great guy and a credit to the community. My man, Dave, you're too kind always, you're the best. Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going to take a time out. We've got an hour to go. The Bengals Game Plan Show presented by but Like By from the MVP Sports Bar in Silverton on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 12: This This fifteen thirty w cqby Say the fifty thousand, Orange and Black Home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty. This is Bengals game Plan presented by blood Light on the first Star Logistics Bengals Radio Network. Brought to you by blood Light. Blood Light Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, pay Corps. Pay Corp is cloud to be the official HR software provider of US Cincinnati Bengals. Ketteringhillth Best Care for the Best Fans, Kettering hillth Official healthcare Provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is Cincinnati's ESPN fifteen thirty, The official Home of the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Our number two of the Bengals Game Plan show presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy. Here on ESPN fifteen thirty. I'm Dan Hord with Dave Lapham. We've got the Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers coming up tomorrow night at pay Corp Stadium, Cincinnati. Looking to get back into the thick of things in the AFC North. The Bengals are two and four, the Steelers are four and one. Pittsburgh has gotten off to a great start with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. With the Bengals are hoping that what they sawt of Joe Flacco in the second half last week is going to carry over to tomorrow night's game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. In the first half last week, Joe Flacco eight for fifteen for forty yards, the Bengals did not score. Didn't look very good. But then in the second half, Lappy completed seventy percent of his passes. He threw for one hundred and seventy nine yards. That would, you know, obviously be more than three point fifty in a full game, two touchdowns, no picks, passer rating of one oh seven point five. The Bengals drove into scoring position on every possession of the second half. If we get that guy or something close to it for four quarters tomorrow night, Bengals have a really good chance of it.
Speaker 5: I agree, Dan, and I think that you know, the way he finished that football game, he's used to as a veteran player a carryover. You know, take that that effort that he had in the second half in particular that football game, and down the stretch of that football game, study it. Look at the tait, see what the defenses were doing to him, See what he was doing to answer what the defenses were trying to take away from him, and uh, and just carry it over to Pittsburgh. Uh. And you know, Pittsburgh Steelers are gonna have plenty of defense for him to figure out there they are. They do it. They do a great job. Mike Tomlin is a defensive oriented head coach. There's not a whole lot of those in the National Football League. He is as good as any with respect to his contributions to game planning for the defensive football team Terror Austin defensive coordinator is outstanding. He and Mike Tomlin are very uh symbionic. They you know, one plus one equals three. They they've they've really they feed off of each other and UH their football team, particularly the defensive football team, but the football team in general has a lot of confidence with with those guys, UH and the entire coaching staff. Really they do have a heck of a coach staff. The Rooney family has been around for a long time. Pittsburgh s Field has been around for a long time as well. And you know, defensively, like I said, they've got Tara Austin. Offensively, Arthur Smith who is highly regarded, well renowned as an offensive coordinator in the National Football League. Danny Smith along with Darren Simmons, two of the best and longest tenured especially teams coaches in all of football. That should be an interesting matchup to watch those two try to determine and dictate UH field percent field position advantages for their respective teams. I think that's going to be a big part of it when you when you have a game like this, A lot of times these big division rivalries come down to turnovers. Don't turn the football over, win the turnover margin plus two plus three if you can, and UH field position, and that's usually special teams driven turnovers play a big part in it as well.
Speaker 2: As a fellow Syracusan, a very graduate. Yes, I'm very proud of the fact that you just dropped a symbiotic on this show. That's a heck of a vocabulary word, Dave Lapham, well done.
Speaker 5: There you go all that reading.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mom Lapham. So, Joe Burrow is the man of a thousand nicknames, Joe Burr, Joe Sisty, Joey Franchised, Joe cool, et cetera. Bengals offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher might have inadvertently come up with a great nickname for Joe Flaco after that game against Green Bay. Here's Dan Pitcher talking about his quarterback.
Speaker 10: There's nothing that Joe hasn't seen or hasn't had to prepare for, even being around the guy for six days now.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 10: There's a there's a calming element of that that goes with him because of his professionalism and because of his experience. It puts a coach at ease that there's nothing that's gonna like jump out at him that is going to rattle him.
Speaker 2: You know. Obviously it's a challenge.
Speaker 7: They're gonna make plays, and they're gonna make moving the football and scoring hard, but it's not going to be because necessarily they surprise Joe Flacco and that that's call me.
Speaker 2: He's Joe calm instead of cool.
Speaker 10: He's I can't say enough about him, never having really interacted with him until last Tuesday. What he did last week was was pretty remarkable and it's a testament to professionalism and there's no substitute for experience.
Speaker 2: Lap we've been around him now for a week. He is Joe Calm. I think that's what he is. He just still waters when you're around Joe Flaco.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I mean Dan Pitcher came up with something there. He is steady, Eddie, you know, I mean, nothing flusters the guy. He's cool, calm, collected, composed he is. He's Joe Calm. You get Joe cool and you got Joe Calm in the same same football team at the quarterback position. That's a that's pretty decent. I will say he's gonna have a huge impact, gonna be a big determining factor in the outcome of the football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers because Pittsburgh's gonna test that calm. They're gonna see if they can rattle them a little bit. You know and hit them, pressure him, show him one thing in the back end coverage wise and being another and see if they can, you know, make him for a mistake by Joe Flacco that could be a factor in the football game. But I believe in Joe Flacco. I really do. I mean in talking to him in the locker room, that's how he is all the time. His demeanor is always the same. He's unflappable. It doesn't change. He's he's Joe calm.
Speaker 2: He is Joe Calm. And he's faced the Steelers a lot.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: He was in Baltimore for eleven years, facing him twice a year, and he's faced them since with teams. Just last year when he was with the Indianapolis Colts, they played the Steelers. Anthony Richardson started the game at quarterback. He got hurt with five point thirty to go in the first quarter. Joe Flacco led the Colts to a twenty seven to twenty four win. So he's beaten the Steelers as recently as last year.
Speaker 5: That's all good. That's good news. And you know, Joe Flacco is a big guy man, six five to twenty five ish. Jiji Watas talked about that. You know how big a guy he is. He's hard to get on the ground, not because of his athletic ability to make him miss, run away from you and all that sort of thing, just that he's a big guy, big presidence in the pocket, big statue there in the pocket, and they kind of you kind of hit and slide off with Joe Flacco. I'm I'm expecting a big game from Joe Flacco. I think that if the Bengals win and they're decided underdog, they're what five and a half point dog, I think, And uh, you know, but if they can win that football game, it's gonna be because Joe Burrow had himself big game.
Speaker 2: Joe Flacco, whisha was Joe burgh me too? To wait until December for that'd be great. So looking at the other side, the Pittsburgh Steelers are twenty ninth in yards offensively, they aren't scoring a ton of points, and Aaron Rodgers is not being used like he was used in his glory days in Green Bay. He's averaging about two hundred passing yards a game. It's not throwing it a ton, but his passer rating is one oh five. He's taking care of the ball He's got ten touchdowns, three interceptions, avoiding sacks. He's only been sacked nine times. He's giving Pittsburgh the best play that it's had at the quarterback position since maybe three years before Ben Roethlisberger retired.
Speaker 5: I agree. I think he's giving Pittsburgh their best chance to win on a consistent basis in a while he's there. They're he's minimizing mistakes. You know, he's offensive. That's been a problem for the Steelers when they have lost football games. It's the offense is self destructive. The offense has made too many grave errors, too many big mistakes. Uh. He is. He's making sure that that's not the case. And then he's saying, you know, let's let's run the football, let's play good, solid defense, and let's win special teams to win field position. You're right, he's turnover adverse. He will not give the football up. He's going to put it away in the pocket protected, He's not going to throw into h questionable coverages that might turn out disastrous for his football team. He's playing a very very good brand of football. And like one of our fans here just uh said when we were talking earlier, he said, Joe Flacco. He's unflackable.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 5: So you know that's pretty good. You got.
Speaker 2: We're not above stealing good material East No, we.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely not. That dog will hunt right there. I mean, that's a that's a good one. That's a that makes the week worthwhile, makes the show.
Speaker 2: Worth will we might bust it out Tomorrow. It's an eight fifteen game at pay Court Stadium, the White Bengal game. It's going to be a tremendous atmosphere. If you are lucky enough to have tickets tomorrow night, don't forget to stop by Pregame at the Banks presented by Sports Illustrated Tickets, an official fan experienced partner of the Cincinnati Bengals before all regular season home games. Visit Bengals dot com slash Pregame at the Banks for more information. Coming up next, Mike Tomlin ripped the Cleveland Browns for helping the Bengals this week. We'll talk about that next. This is the Bengals Game Plan Show live from the MVP Sports Bar and Grill voted the best place to watch a Bengals game in Cincinnati here on ESPN fifteen thirty. Lamp and the Ball man back on the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy. Here on ESPN fifteen thirty. We are live at the MVP Sports Bar and Grill here in Silverton. We appreciate all the Bengals fans came out to join us for tonight's show. Last week, when the Bengals traded for Joe Flacco, on this show and on our Friday show, you said, I can't believe the Cleveland Browns were willing to make a trade for a quarterback with the Bengals in the middle of a season. You couldn't believe it, and as it turns out, either could Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. Here's what he had to say this week.
Speaker 5: You know, to be honest, it was shocking to me.
Speaker 13: Andrew Berry must be a lot smarter than me or us, because it doesn't make sense to me to trade a quarterback that you think enough of to make your opening day starter to a division opponent that's hurting in that area. But that's just my personal feelings.
Speaker 2: So Mike Tomlin taking shots at the Browns general manager Andrew Barry. I was surprised. Tomlin usually doesn't say anything too controversial. His news conference is leading up to a game, but that one obviously made headlines this week.
Speaker 5: May have to buy a ticket to the Cleveland Pittsburgh games this year. Those are gonna be battle.
Speaker 2: That's right, They'll have a rematch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got one left one to go. Uh. They hope they're gonna be again in the playoffs, but it ain't gonna happen. It ain't gonna happen. I just I was. I was stunned for the same reasons I think that Mike Tomlin was that. Okay, the Bengals are struggling, uh at the quarterback position, and it's really retarding the development of their offense in general. So they're in the market for a quarterback. The last place that Mike Tomlin, the Pittsburgh Steelers, other members of the AFC North expected the Bengals to they get some help was with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And when they when Pittsburgh did that, it shocked me. It stunned me. I know, the Rooneys and Mike Brown and UH and mister Rooney have a great relationship. It's competitive, you know, they'd like to rub each other's noses in it a little bit. Uh, and Rooney's done a little bit more than Mike Brown's been able to do. But for him to part ways with a proven quarterback for a number of years in the National Football League, that's put up good numbers. I mean, his numbers are fantastic. Really hell of a career. I'm not saying he's going to be in the Hall of Fame, but he has had a career that any professional football player would be proud of.
Speaker 2: And I know Flacco is heard some speculation from a reporter in Pittsburgh saying there might be a couple of other things involved here. One Mike Tomlin kind of sticking up for another coach in the division, maybe thinking that now Kevin Stefanski probably didn't appreciate that move all that much. Secondly, if you go back to this past offseason, the Steelers are trying to get a deal done with TJ. Watts, Right, the Browns make a deal for Miles Garrett far and beyond what any defensive end had ever received before. And hey, it's Miles Garrett. He deserves every penny. But it did drive the price for TJ. Watt way up and the Steelers eventually had to pay basically the same amount.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the Pittsburgh Steelers, I mean they set the market with TJ. Watt, you know, And yeah, it could be it could be a little bit of restitution, get even, you know, kind of kind of mess with your plans a little bit. From an organizational standpoint, those are those are two very valid points right there. But all I know is as a Cincinnati Bengal fan, I'm glad for all of it.
Speaker 2: I'm happy.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to let them, let them fight and argue all they want and do things to aggravate and piss off the other one. All I know is I got Joe Flackle.
Speaker 2: So the Steelers roll into town tomorrow night with a four and one record. The Bengals are in second place in the division at two and four. The Ravens, with all of their injuries, are one in five. Cleveland Browns are also one in five, but there's still a little bit of a jury still out situation where the Steelers are concerned. They have two wins over teams that have winning records. One was New England. They're four and two, but New England fumbled four times in that game and also through an interception. So five giveaways helped the Steelers win that game. Their other win over a winning team was the Vikings that was in London, so Minnesota lost the home field advantage, which was significant. Against the Bengals, I still had Carson Wentz, so they didn't have their starting quarterback for that game, so a little bit of an asterisk situation for that victory. I spoke earlier today with Tim Benz, who covers the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is a sports writer and sportscaster in Pittsburgh. I asked him for his evaluation of really just how good the Pittsburgh Steelers are. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 11: The offense is still very flawed for some of the reasons we pointed out. Statistically, I think they're like twenty fifth in passing, twenty ninth and rushing in twenty ninth overall or something like that.
Speaker 2: And they've gotten the.
Speaker 11: Points that they've gotten because they've got a great kicker who never misses unless the field slips out from underneath them. And they've got a really good red zone percentage, at least they did until they played Cleveland. That's why their points per game isn't so bad. The defense has been very, very opportunistic. I think it's best two games have been the last that they have played. I do think they deserve some credit for ball hunting and getting the ball free in New England more than they've gotten. That game was largely just characterized as the Patriots handing the ball over to the Steelers five times. They are to be faulted, but I think the Steelers are to be credited for creating those turnovers. They run, they hit, they get to the ball, they search the ball.
Speaker 14: They're good at it.
Speaker 11: So the defense is the biggest reason why they are where they are, even though the defense was really lousy in terms of yards allowed for the first three weeks. So you know, I think they are a byproduct of a lowering tide in the AFC. North has really risen their boats. That might be the case for the entire conference, in the entire league, because they've only played one divisional game, but where they sit in the division is because where everybody else is. They're pretty mediocre. But you know what, so is the rest of the NFL right now.
Speaker 2: So not exactly a raver review for a team that's four and one. Right when he talked about the turnovers, he's dead on. They're plus seven so far this year in the turn over ratio category.
Speaker 5: That's huge. I mean that that's the reason they're four and one. Period. I mean, that's that's it.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 5: Uh, you're plus six in the turnover department six times. Uh. You six different times during the course of the football games you've had an extra possession and you're taking one away from your opponent in that football game. That that's big. Uh. And honestly, to give the opponent fewer possessions working against the Pittsburgh Steelers defense, that's what they're all about. Pittsburgh Steelers. In my mind as a form player with the Bengals, when I think Pittsburgh, I think steel Curtin, I think Pittsburgh defense. I think Joe Green I think Earnie Fatz Holmes. You know, I think Dwight White, I think L C. Greenwood, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Andy Russell. You know. It's it's remarkable that they're historic from a franchise standpoint in terms of what they've done defensively. And Mike Tomlins a big believer in that, and he's he's got a coordinator that is on the same page as him and and they they put together tremendous defensive game plans. I mean, Arthur Smith does a phenomenal job of breaking tape down and they have such a big inventory to defense that they can utilize. And then they'll they'll they'll hone it down and and uh and and put together a package that's a perfect fit what the opposition offense is trying to do against him. It's worked for a lot of years for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I don't think Tomlin's had a losing season that I can recall. I mean he may have, No, he's not, but I mean that's it's it's that that in in in today's National Football League. That alone is remarkable.
Speaker 2: So prior to the draft this year, the guy that I really wanted the Bengals to pick was a defensive lineman from Oregon named Derek Harmon. Yeah, they wound up selecting Shamar Stewart, and now that I've seen him, I'm happy they did. I think Shamar is gonna be awesome and he should play tomorrow night. It looks like he'll be back from his ankle injury tomorrow night. But the Steelers were the team that wound up with Derek Harmon. He was injured earlier. Now he's playing. Based on what's what I've seen, I think he's going to be a headache for years to come in the two times that the Bengals have to see him every year.
Speaker 5: I think Pittsburgh's very happy with him. There's no question that he's a contributor. And that's the thing is they have so many good players. I mean, it's like, gosh, when is it going to end? I mean, how deep is this roster. That's that's the sign of a solid organization and a really, really good football team is having a strong foundation, ownership, general manager, scouting department all in the same page, all making like decisions in agreeing ultimately agree on who to take in the draft on a round by round basis, who to approach and try to get signed in free agency. They just do a great job in Pittsburgh. It's an organization that a lot of franchises in the National Football League look up to and would like to be run.
Speaker 2: Like Cam Hayward is thirty six. He'll be in the Hall of Fame someday. TJ. Watt is thirty one. He'll be in the Hall of Fame someday. Jalen Ramsey is thirty one. I guess he's certainly a candidate to be in.
Speaker 5: The Hall of Fame fid Chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, in the Hall of Fame someday. Are those three guys at those ages still among the best players at their position or are they just still really good?
Speaker 5: I think they're still amongst the best. I really do. I mean, they got a lot of personal pride, They take care of themselves, they keep their bodies in great shape. I've been a Cam Hayward fan for a long time, so he is so consistent. I mean, if you put on tape of quote his best game and quote his worst game. In terms of performance statistics numbers, there's no different. I mean, the guy gives you the same effort every single snap, and that's what as a coach, that's what you look for. You look for somebody that is going to give you the same effort every single snap, something that you can count on when you're putting together a game plan. He's going to give effort, enthusiasm, excited to play. That's Cam Hayward and it's been that way for a long time. A decade and a half with the Pittsburgh Steelers, incredible, incredible football player. Everybody that I talked to in Pittsburgh over the years and have had many people comment on just an unbelievable guy all in human being. I mean, everybody loves Cam Hayward is. He's great with the community. He's made an impact and a difference in the community of Pittsburgh. He's the real deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was the Walter Payton Man of the Year wide winner is either last year or the year before. I can't remember which, but yeah, he did win it one of the last two years. All Right, we're gonna take a time out when we come back. Rookie Barrett Carter has replaced Logan Wilson in the Bengals starting lineup at linebacker. We will hear from both of them next. You're listening to the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light, live from the MVP Sports Bar and Grill here in Silverton, on ESPN fifteen thirty fen Dave Lapham back in the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, live from the MVP Sports Bar and Grill here in Silverton. Let's give you the injury report. The night before the Bengals take on the Pittsburgh Steeler. Mikeasicki is out. He's gone on injured reserve with a pectoral injury that he suffered last week, so he's going to be out for at least four games. Also out for the game Tomorrow's Tanner Hudson Tanner cut the touchdown pass last week in the third quarter, but he suffered a concussion during the course of the game. He might have been back if it was a normal week, but since it's the Thursday, he has not cleared concussion protocol. He is out. In the questionable category, you have Trey Hendrickson who has not practiced this week, Charlie Jones who's been limited with sore ribs, and Lucas Patrick who has not returned yet from the calf injury that he suffered in Week one. He has been practicing but hasn't been put back on the roster yet. I did not say the name Chamar Stewart, so we can look forward to having Shamar Stewart back for the first time since Week two.
Speaker 5: Well, I hope he can play some tight end. That tight end position has gotten hammered. I mean they're in trouble with the tight end, Packagers, they're going to have to uh probably work around that a little bit. That's also a blow to Joe Flacco because as a veteran quarterback like he is, Aaron Rodgers saying, those guys know how to utilize the tight end, know how to check down to the tight end. Tight Ends the final option, uh in the progression, get the ball in the middle of the field to the tight end. So having that position group depleted the way it is is a blow really for this game.
Speaker 2: So at the beginning of last week's game against the Green Bay Packers, I'll admit to being a little bit surprised when the Bengals took the field on defense they had two rookies starting at linebacker. Now, obviously Dimitrius Knight was no surprise, he's been a starter from the first nap of the year against Cleveland. But Logan Wilson was out, Barrett Carter was in. Zach Taylor was asked about it after the game, and he more or less said, Hey, we think that Barrett Carter is earned the opportunity to play more and to start. We think he can give us a spark. We want to see those two young guys develop and unfortunately for Logan Wilson that meant he was in a very limited role in last week's game against Green Bay. And apparently that's going to be the case tomorrow. It is going to be Carter and Night as the Bengals starting linebackers. Let's hear from Logan Wilson, I'm no longer being in the starting lineup and the rookie that has replaced him, at least for now, Parrot Carter.
Speaker 15: You know, I put my arm around and I told him, I said, there's gonna be no hard feelings between us. Just know that, like, I'm not going to change who I am. I still want to help you out. I know I've played a lot of football and there's things I can still pour into you. And I told myself I was not going to change who I am because of a time of adversity in my life. And you know, whenever my career is done, like look back at this time of adversity and be able to tell my kids how to how to get through, how to work through adversity like this, and so that that's what I'll be most proud of.
Speaker 5: By the end of the day.
Speaker 15: I'm still gonna work to continue to get better and just continue to support him as best as I can, because that's what a good teammate would do.
Speaker 2: He's been nothing but helpful.
Speaker 12: Like for me, just I still lean on him every single day, and I still will continue to lean on him every single day no matter what the coach decides to do. It's not it's not up to me, it's not up to him. But we both we both love each other, we both go to war with each other.
Speaker 2: So you could hear why Logan Wilson's a captain on this team, a first class response. That's something that has to be very tough for him. Here's why it surprised me, Lap and I could be way off on this. I didn't think Logan Wilson was playing that badly. I mean, he wasn't playing great. He hasn't come up with big plays, made interceptions, stuff like that. But he seemed like he was playing solidly to me. So that's why I was caught off guard.
Speaker 5: I'm with you, man, I'm with your partner. I mean, I think, honestly, the Bengals football team has bigger problems than Logan Wilson. I mean, guys are playing less effectively less efficiently than Logan Wilson was I think in the in the uh, you know, five game stretch that he was playing in. I do think though he still will be involved when they go to their four to three defense, when they go for four down line and three backers four dbs, He'll he'll probably be one of the linebackers in that rotation when they go five to four, though he won't you know, it's going to be the young guys, so he'll he'll get less snaps. I'm not sure how many steps he will get. I don't know. Al Golden is going to be obviously mixing and matching those two configurations against the opponent based on what the opponent does offensively and where their strengths are with with position groups in their respective offenses. So I think, I do think we have not seen the last of Logan Wilson, but he isn't a diminished role. And I do agree with you class Act. I mean, he could not have handled it any better.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 5: It's it's basically Zach Taylor should take that tape of Logan Wilson being talked to in the locker room about his quote new role and and keep it in a year after year say here's how you handle when things don't go your way, Here's how you step up, and here's how you become a professional. You know, there's there's things you can do physically, you know, strength, wise, speed and all that sort of thing, but emotionally, mentally, all those things are important to and Logan Wilson's are pros pro in that regard.
Speaker 2: We talked about this after the Bengals extended the contracts of Jamar Chase and t Higgins. With the amount of money they're spending on their quarterback and their top two wide receivers in a salary cap league, it's just a fact that they're going to have to be young and keeap on defense or cheaper.
Speaker 5: Not cheap.
Speaker 2: Guys make a lot of money, but younger and cheaper. Do you view this as we need to develop these young guys that we've invested draft capital on because that's going to be the key going forward with the amount of money we're spending on offense.
Speaker 5: I think that's another valid solid point by you, my man. You know football, and you know you've been around the National Football League and college football for a while. You know how it works, and it is. I mean, you can't give you can't pay everybody. You can't pay everybody the amount of money that they're looking to be paid. It's just not going to be the case. And you have to decide, you know, what position group, what people in that position group are going to be the ones that you look to to make the biggest contributions on a week to week basis, and take care of those people first. And we've already seen what the pecking order is. And they spend a lot of money on quarterback and the wide receiver positions for sure. That's the two biggest expenditures from a positional standpoint, you know, on the football team right now. So we'll see how it pans out. You'll see how it pans out. I mean, all I know is the worm has to turn. They cannot continue to play the title to the Inconsistency is in my mind, the biggest problem that they're they're demonstrating right now. They just on a snap by snap basis, it's not up to snuff, it's not good enough. All the coaches feel that way. They have to be more consistent on a snap by snap basis. In the AFC North, in the AFC in general to be competitive.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, the Bengals highest graded offensive lineman per Pro Football Focus last week is not expected to be in the starting lineup tomorrow night. We're gonna hear from him next. This is the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink and Easy to Enjoy on ESPN fifteen thirty. Welcome back to the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy. We are live at the MVP Sports Bar and Grill appreciate the Bengals fans came out to be part of the show tonight. Got to see Sam Hubbard in the first hour of the show, which is really cool. Great guy, and he is going to be involved periodically on our Friday show going forward, so we looked forward to that. At the beginning of the year, the Bengals starting right guard was Lucas Patrick. He suffered a calf injury in Week one. He was replaced by Dalton Reisner, who had just joined the team and played really well in that first game against Cleveland. So then Dalton took over as the starting right guard and did not play very well for a couple of weeks, he got replaced by rookie Jalen Rivers, who has been starting at right guard ever since. However, in last week's game, Dylan Fairchild, who had been starting at left guard, had to miss the game because of a knee injury. Dalton Reisner wound up moving back into the starting lineup on the other side, started at left guard and played really well. He was the highest graded offensive lineman in last week's game according to Pro Football Focus. Now, Dylan Fairchild is healthy again right He's been a full participant in practice this week. I would expect that he'll be back in the starting lineup tomorrow night against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Dalton Reisner would go back to the bench. I spoke to Dalton Reisner this week.
Speaker 16: Week two and three weren't weren't weren't the same, and I lost myself by spot because of it, And you.
Speaker 5: Know, that's a that's a tough deal. But in the NFL, that's how.
Speaker 16: It works is you expect to perform at a high level at all times. And I didn't perform up to my standard or the standard that I'm sure the Bengals expected as me. In Week two and Week three, so I've been doing nothing but zero pouting and one hundred percent of getting myself right to be ready when called upon. And I was called upon last week, and I'm just so grateful that I had the opportunity to play against the Packers, play at left guard and perform the way I did. And now it's the same mindset every single week, every single day.
Speaker 5: How can I be better? Win called upon? For this team?
Speaker 2: Rookies have been starting at those guard spots. I know you obviously want to play, but what do you think of Dylan Fairchild and Jalen Rivers and the way that they are learning on the fly?
Speaker 16: I think that they're doing a great job. Jalen and Dylan are, first of all, such great young men. I really respect the way that they attack their work, the way that they come in here and want to be great. I think the Bengals found some great dudes in those guys, some guys that can make a living and in this league for a very long time. So nothing but great things to say about them off the field, and when it comes to on the field, man, these guys are pretty they love to work hard, they're acceptable to coaching, they want to be better, They come in every single day and they attack their work, and they're super talented. So they got nothing but sky's limit for them.
Speaker 2: That's for sure, all right, Lap, We talked about it in the last segment. Two rookies are going to start at linebacker tomorrow night. Two rookies are going to start it in all likelihood tomorrow night. We're also going to see a lot of Shamar Stewart, whether he starts or not. That's five guys drafted in this year's class that are being counted on heavily in week seven.
Speaker 5: And and two of them are the inside linebackers and two of them the guards. I mean, that's the core, the foundation of the interior of your offensive and defensive lines. And uh and in configurations front seven defensively, two rookie inside backers, that's uh, that's gutsy, that's that's that's making a a very very you know, could be second guest decision on the part of Al Golden.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: And then with the offensive line, same deal. Two rookie our guards. Before I get too far into this though, how about Dalton Reisner. How about a guy who I'll take as many Dalton rivesters as I can get because like that guy. I mean, all he did was talk as a team player. It's not about Dalton Risen there too.
Speaker 2: I was not good in weeks two and three, more or less saying I deserved to be replaced. But I'm busting my tail to try to get back out there and play.
Speaker 5: And the guy who's been in the league for the length of time that he's been in the league, to have that approach, that attitude, that work ethic, that mindset is contagious. Hopefully it's contagious to the to the young players. And and you know, because they can. I remember as a rookie, you know, Paul Brown saying to me, look, we're gonna play you. You're gonna get in a rotation. You probably play more as the season goes along, because I'm gonna have confidence that you'll have a better idea what the hell you're doing, to be quite blunt, and and he was right, he was right. And all these guys are going to improve. Riisner is going to improve. He's he's probably more comfortable than the rookies are at this stage in terms of going out there and being not overwhelmed. That's probably too strong a word, but you know, uncomfortable, uncertain, whatever the case may be, is to what you're looking at and how it's gonna be a different picture of pre snap post snap looks can have two different photographs totally, you know. I mean it's like, man, what the heck? How did he get from there to there so fast? How did he move that quickly? I know I didn't close my eyes, So what the hell happened out there? But Reisner, I think to have to have a guy like him that could provide in worst case scenario death at multiple positions in your offensive line at garden and tackling the center potentially. I mean, he could, he could do it all. He could, He could, he could play anywhere. The Bengals organization, you know, ownership, general manager, scouting department, they did a good job in evaluating talent, I think, And uh, we'll see how it pens.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take our final time out when we come back. Is this a must win? Well? Here, well, here what Jamar has the Chase has to say about that question? When we come back. It's the Bengals Game Plan Show. We're presented by Bud Light. We're live at the MVP Sports Bar and Grill on ESPN fifteen thirty, final segment of the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by Bud Like easy to drink, Easy to enjoy Here on ESPN fifteen thirty, we want to hand out a few thank yous before we get to our final bit of content on the show. First, thank you to our engineer, Mike Mills. Mike, that's your man, Mike. Appreciate Mike as always. Thank you to tearing anything but bland back in the studio.
Speaker 5: Hey man, the man.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Nita, the official pastry chef the Bengals Radio Network. Nita didn't stick around. He leaves a few minutes early, but maybe she's listening in the car on our way home. We appreciate Nita as always. Thank you to the Bengals who are here tonight. We appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Thank you to the bud Light girls who are here tonight, which also appreciate them. Thank you to Nicky Grawl from the Bengals, she was doling out the raffle ticket NI earlier tonight. And thank you to Josh and the staff and servers here at the MVP Sports Bar and Thriller. We can see why City Beat called this place the best place to watch a Bengals game in Cincinnati. So find out for yourself tomorrow night when the Bengals beat the Pittsburgh Steelers at fifteen tomorrow night, destroy them. So Hall of Fame head coach Marv Levy, the former Buffalo Bill's head coach, was once asked about an upcoming game and a reporter asked him, is this a must win game? Marv Levy said, World War Two was must win. This is just a football game, but tomorrow night's game is huge. Jamar Chase yesterday was asked if it's must win. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 14: Five years have been here, I've been here every week. Something that y'all say a lot out here, you know. I mean, at the end of the day, we know we gotta win certain games. We know we gotta be division teams for us to put ourselves in position to be number one in the division. But you know, at the end of the day, we got to actually put the work in and do it when it's game zone.
Speaker 2: So Jamar is right. About five times a year somebody calls it a must win game, and technically speaking, it's not. We have no idea. What's going to happen after tomorrow. It's football, you know, Ravens are one in five and have a million injuries, so strange stuff can happen. But I look at it more as not necessarily must win, but golden opportunity win it. You gain ground on the Steelers. You're two to zero in the division, You've got a head to head win against Pittsburgh in your pocket, and you got home games coming up against the winless Jets and the still kind of building Bears. It could be the start of a winning streak to get you to five and four going into your by Yeah.
Speaker 5: I look at it as vitally important. Yeah that's good, you know. Yeah, It's like if it's if you lose the football game, what are you going to do? Pack up and go home and say the season's over. Now. You're not going to do that. You're going to, you know, get after it and go to work and try to come back and do it a little bit better and get a win the next week. But this game at home against the Pittsburgh Steelers, a division game at home, even a con game AFC American Football Conference game at home, is huge. You can't let those slip through your fingers. You got to go out there and put your best foot forward, put put the best performance you can do individually and collectively as a team on the football field that day. You know, must might be a little bit of a stretch, but vitally important.
Speaker 2: Vitally important is fair?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it's fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it's going to be a vitally important win. Yes, tomorrow night, I'm gonna calling it. I'm with you, all right. That's going to do it for our show tonight. Thank you to all the Bengals fans that came out to be part of it. You've been listening to the Bengals Game Plan Show presented by bud Light here on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: This was Bengals Game Plan presented by bud Light on the Bengals Radio Network. Brought to you by bud Light, bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy. Peycorps pycor is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Alta Viber Alta Viber the official Wi Fi and Internet provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals