Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again rgea running.
Speaker 3: Back hosted by Dodgers insider David Bassett.
Speaker 2: Oh Yeah, three in the mix.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County.
Speaker 3: Public Works Champions recycled beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasselast.
Speaker 2: Day, Welcome the Dodger Talk. David vass with you until eight thirty tonight here on five seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers win their fifth game in a row, coming off of sweep at Chorusfield over the Rockies. The Dodgers have won the first two games of this series against the Pirates. Last night it took ten innings. Tommy Edmund the Hero, Evan Phillips, the hero and Tonight, the Dodgers beat the Pirates four to three behind a really impressive performance from Trek Schoolbull, who allowed three runs on five hits in the first two innings of tonight's game, and then after that retired eighteen of the last nineteen batters he faced. He did not allow a hit from the third inning on. All in all, he finishes with eleven strikeouts in seven innings. And how about this, He threw one hundred and six pitches tonight. That's the second most pitches this season for school Bowl. And as I'm looking at you know more of the stats and where all this ranks. Schoolboll threw one hundred and nine pitches six days ago in his last start right here at Dodgers Stadium against the Brewer and tonight he throws one hundred and six in seven innings. And in between that, the last time he threw this many pitches you have to go back to twenty twenty two when he threw one hundred and eight in a regular season game, and last year in a wildcard game, he threw one hundred and seven pitches. So twice in his career he has thrown the most pitches in a game in a Dodger uniform, and it does help that the Dodgers do only pitch him once a week. I think we all forget that as well when we talk about Dave Roberts pushing these guys. Obviously, the bullpen needs to get on track. They've had some guys not pitching their best at the same time, Also, the Dodgers being a reliever short sticking with the six man rotation means these starters that are only pitching once every six or seven days have got to go deeper into the game if they're effective. And today you thought in the first two innings that this was a very ordinary five or six innings start from school bl and from that point on, I feel like he did not want to. I'm not going to say he was embarrassed after the first two innings, but he certainly got a little angrier, and it was impressive to see in the sixth and seventh inning of tonight's game that he was throwing upwards of ninety nine and one hundred miles an hour and got stronger as the game went on. Also, you know, I always talk about how the national broadcasters always bring up the shadows when it's a five o'clock game. When ESPN used to have Sunday Night Baseball in the games would start at five oh five. Here, the first three innings of that broadcast would be lamenting the shadows, Oh the shadows, Oh shadows. Aw Well, today the shadows were in play a four to twenty start. By the time school bol got to the fifth or sixth inning, the shadows were starting to play because the pitchers mound was in shadows, but the was shining off the batter's eye. And from what hitters and pitchers have told me before is that's even tougher when the pitchers in shadows and the batter's eye the outfield is in sun because you lose the baseball as it's coming out of his hands. So that played into Schooble as well. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number ran into one of, if not the Dodger VP COO Bob Wolf as I was coming back to the press box, one of my favorite people in the organization, and even he knew he's the one that led me. Hey, I don't think Scooble gave up a hit. I was like, I'm gonna double check that and I did eighteen of the last nineteen batters retired and Schooble did not allow a hit after the second inning tonight, And let's hear from the big Dodger left hander who was on or was speaking to the media, and thanks to our guy Fredo from the Sporting Tribune to share that with us.
Speaker 4: One with a new team, what's last year one way for you?
Speaker 5: But yeah, it feels good obviously to get the first one out of the way. But you know, I didn't do a good job early in the game, but the boys picked me up, and you know, I was able to keep us in a game, and obviously the offense got going and that's all we needed to get a win today. What was the big difference from the first inning and to the next ships, Yeah, I think, you know, one, they hit some good pitches. I think execution got a little bit better as the game went on, and obviously just some adjustments that I needed to be made. And that's probably just more pitch execution than anything, and just getting ahead and counts.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think I did.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think I was over five of my last five first pitch strikes. But other than that, I thought I was ahead in most counts.
Speaker 6: What's puss has been like sort of getting the field for yourself on the mountain while also trying to figure out everything else, saw the changes, all the different adjustments.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we're everybody in there were constantly kind of learning each other and developing relationships, and you know, those are important to have, you know, going forward, especially if we wanna go where we wanna go, you know, just developing those relationships and understanding what adjustments need to be made and all that type of stuff too. So it's it's been a it's been a great process, but you know, sometimes those things take a little bit time, but it's been it's been great, you know, and everybody there has been very supportive of of.
Speaker 4: Everything that I'm trying to do. All those last time it is as good as you throw the ball since the trade, Yeah, yeah, I mean probably.
Speaker 5: I mean I think my last start was was pretty good too, you know, just from a pitch execution standpoint, Like I felt like I executed a ton of pitches, you know, against Milwaukee, they just took a lot of qualities pitches and you know we're able to file off some quality stuff too.
Speaker 4: But you know that my last start, I felt like I was, you.
Speaker 5: Know, executing at a pretty high clipped and you know, today I felt like, for the majority of the game the.
Speaker 4: Same type of thing.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not gonna be perfect out there, but you know, I definitely would be better than the first time, right.
Speaker 4: But other than that, you know.
Speaker 5: I thought my execution was pretty good to that I'd have to go back and watch. You know, I haven't watched the name of It yet, but all of the better grasses it tomorrow. But yeah, I think stuff on our hand is as good as ever been. You talk flash week about the standard and try to hold yourself getting to eat in the games, Like how important was.
Speaker 4: It to get from seven today?
Speaker 5: Especially after like the way the person w Yeah, I mean you get punched them out earlier in this game, and you know, I always think it's important for any pitcher to see how kind of you respond to those moments, you know, getting punched in the mouth, and that's when I think the true we really are, you know, kind of shows out.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's something I take a ton of pride. And you know, if I give up.
Speaker 5: Runs early, I still feel like I can keep us in a game and keep it tight enough to where our offense can get going and you know, make a run at it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but I mean the standard is to pitch deeper in the game.
Speaker 5: This whole point of being a starting pitcher, you know, is controlling that game, you know, saving the bullpen and giving you a team a chance to win.
Speaker 4: And that's, you know, that's the standard I.
Speaker 5: Hold myself too, and it's it's a high one, but you know, I think I'm capable of it for sure.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Terrek's school Ball, and thanks to our friends at the Sporting Tribune for sharing that audio. Derek Schouble today's seven innings, eleven strikeouts, allowed three runs in the first inning, and after that or after the second inning especially, he was very stingy, tightened the screws, as Tim Nevertts said today, and did not allow a hit from the third inning on. So an impressive start from Derek school Well. Got to give some love to Jack Dryer who came in and to me after Schooble left. This was the at bat of the game and the eighth inning with two outs, tying run ninety feet away and Jack Dryer brought into face the left handed hitting O'Neil Cruz, who is the best hitter the Pirates have and maybe the one guy that can really hurt you, and Jack Dryer dialed up ninety six to freeze O'Neil Cruz to strike him out looking, and from that point on the Dodgers were looking at getting the final three outs with Tanner Scott. He did his nineteenth save of the season. Also, Kyle Tucker a really good game for him to deliver in the fifth inning, his first hit in twenty seven at bats at Dodger Stadium, the first RBI Tucker has had at Dodger Stadium when he drove in those two runs in the fifth inning since July eighth, But infield was drawn in seeing I single. Sometimes he needed that to spark you and Tucker and the Dodgers are looking for anything to get him going, and maybe they found something today because we saw Tucker steal a base for the first time in a while. You heard Dave Roberts talk about him staying out of a double play and really hustling up the first base line to extend the inning. So today was a good day for Kyle Tucker. And I'm not going to take full credit but he was our pregame guest. So I am going to say some pregame karma for Kyle Tucker today. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Pirates tonight four to three for their fifth win in a row. Trek Scooble's first win as a Dodger. Let's go out to Malibu. Paul was at the Dodger game tonight.
Speaker 7: Hi, Paul, David's Bob and Malavu Mett.
Speaker 2: Oh why did the guy say, Paul, I'm sorry, Bob. I knew that.
Speaker 8: That's all right.
Speaker 7: David's all good and I'll go buy Paulton. I no problem, all right, David. Was a great game out there. Boyd looked good. It was a team win today. Scooble got us all a free jumbo Jack pitched a masterclass after those first two innings. It was good to see Tucker come up big right there. I know the crowd was really on his side today and kudos to him. Kudos to Alec Thomas as well. Great debut today. Kudos to our boy Max Munsey. Men, that boy was just hitting that ball right down in the right field all day long.
Speaker 4: And he came up big today.
Speaker 7: So a great team win all around today. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: It really was, Bob, and thanks for the phone call. Max Monthsey tonight three for three with two doubles and he scored twice. And he is starting to heat up at the right time for the Dodgers. He's come up with seven big hits to decide games for the Dodgers. In between all that he hadn't been really hitting on all cylinders, but coming up clutch as he always does. And tonight three hits, two runs scored, and two doubles. He now has twenty on the year to go along with what twenty six home runs. Max Munthsey has twenty doubles and twenty six home runs. If he gets going, that'll help make up for the loss of Andy Paez, who, in case you're joining us late last night, was hit by a pitch in the third inning, taken out of the game in the fifth inning. He had X rays and it showed a broken left hand. It's a displaced l fifth metacarp bowl fracture. According to the Dodger trainer Thomas Aalbert, he likely is going to have to have surgery. That's going to put him on the shelf somewhere between four and six weeks. And remember when Will Smith got hit by a pitch because he exposed his right hand in Pittsburgh. It always seems to happen against the Pirates. Will Smith and Pittsburgh last year had his right throwing hand exposed for some reason, broke his hand. And when he came back in the playoffs, yeah he was back. Yes, it was great to have his calming presence behind the plate, but as a hitter, he wasn't the same Will Smith until the World Series. So I wouldn't expect Andy pa has to be in center field and all of a sudden be the twenty home run EDRBI guy that he was before breaking his left hand. It's gonna take some time. Let's go out to mission Viejo, Joe, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Joe.
Speaker 9: I'm doing great. Just coming back from the game. I wanted to compare Kyle Tucker's numbers this year to another Dodger great whose first year with the Dodgers, and actually Kyle Tucker's number are better is Dusty Baker his first year with the Dodgers in almost five hundred plate appearances. He only had four home runs and he only hit like two And I remember back then how people were all over his case and everything, and then he ended up having a great career. So I think silver lining for Kyle Tuckle Tucker is the same type of thing, because I think they're sort of comparable type of players.
Speaker 2: Wasn't Dusty traded in the middle of the year that season?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 9: No, he had four hundred and fifty something at bats with the Dodgers and he was traded in a off season with I think it was like Tompas Shore and about four guys because Dusty Baker was going to be like the next Hank Aaron for Atlanta, but he being traded as the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did playing one hundred and twelve games that year. He did have four hundred and twenty one played appearances, and you're right, he only hit two forty two and only had a six zho five ops. But I'm reluctant to compare Kyle Tucker to Dusty Baker because Dusty has a lot of credit in this game, and I think that's that's the biggest shock, Joe, that you would compare Tucker to Dusty Baker, But I will say this, I understand what you're saying. Coming to a new team playing in LA, joining the back to back World Series champions, that's a lot. That's a lot, three teams in three years, So I would say that's where the parallels are. And even Gary Sheffield said as much on Thursday that it's been an adjustment for him, but the postseason is going to be where he turns his season around and then never look back. So I understand what you're saying there. Thanks for the phone call. Joe. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello. Modello the mark of a fighter. Let's go out to downtown, Manny. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Manny?
Speaker 4: What's up DV?
Speaker 10: How you doing? I'm just glad the team got the w today on my birthday. Kind of shout myself out right there, so it was a good little birthday gift for me.
Speaker 2: Usually somebody else calls to wish a person a happy birthday. Are you Are you that lonely Manny that you have to call me to wish you a happy birthday?
Speaker 10: I was under the weather today a little bit, so I kind of just hung out watched the game.
Speaker 2: But you know what you're feeling. Because of your feelings, you watch the Dodger game. Now you're feeling great. Happy birthday, Manny, And you know what I'm gonna do for you. I'm going to give you a pair of tickets to the game on September twentieth. Because you're home alone, you're depressed, and you're calling me.
Speaker 6: I am a little bit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're my Dodger therapist and IDV.
Speaker 2: I love it. So after you're done with your call, hold on, Zach will get your info and you're coming to the game on September twentieth. So that's a birthday gift from me and everyone at five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 10: Hey, tipping my cap to you guys.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 10: You guys do a great job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I just love what Max Muntsey's doing. I think he's, you know, like he's been blazing high. I sound like a broken record because I call this Dodger hot line once a week. At least, he's doing his thing. He's carrying the team. It's never easy if you're joining a team like Alec Thomas. You know, getting thrown right into the starting lineup. But he's a former Arizona diamondback. He was playing regularly, so it's good to see that too. Because pots is down, sense of urgency must go up, so someone has to step into those big shoes. So good to see him getting RBI today. I kind of called because I wanted to.
Speaker 8: I want to know what's going on with.
Speaker 10: Dylan Hernandez down there. You don't have to, you know, tell us everything, but I'm so glad Stan Caston put him in his place.
Speaker 4: Real good to see.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for the phone call. Many Yeah, that was that was a fun exchange yesterday. And look, it's about setting the record straight and Stan Casten was trying to do that yesterday. But yeah, never see now here we go back to back calls. Very oh and I hung up on you, Manny called back. I'm sorry, Zach will get your information. I I was. I was shocked that we had somebody compare Kyle Tucker to Dusty Baker. But I do understand when you say a guy coming to a new team, it takes an adjustment period, and that was the case with Dusty coming from Atlanta and Tucker being on his third team in three years with a high price tag, and now somebody referencing Dylan Hernandez. All I got was shade. Yesterday. It felt like nobody was listening to what Dylan or Stan Casting was saying, and they were just making fun of the look on my face. The sun was beating down in my face. I couldn't shield my face because I was in the middle of something there, So I apologize if you did not look like the look on my face. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Pirates tonight four to three and have won five in a row, and more importantly, now have a four game lead over the Braves in the lost column for the number two seed in the National League playoff picture. And what that means is, yes, there's three division winners, but the top two records of the division winners get a bye and don't have to play a wildcard game. And that was the case last year where the Dodgers had to play a best of three wildcard series against the Reds and then we're on the road for the rest of the postseason. That's also part of this equation. You don't want to be in that position again, if you're the Dodgers, Yes, they ran the table, never having home field advantage and any of the postseason series except for the Wildcard round against the Reds. You don't want to have to put this team that has a lot of miles on them the last two and a half years and have not have home field advantage. So if they can not only just keep the spot that they're in, but also maybe catch the Brewers, they would be in a great spot. And that is something to keep an eye on. Yes, they are going to win this division, whether it's by ten games or three games, They're going to win this division because right now they have a nine and a half game lead over the Padres. San Diego has come back against the Twins and are leading right now six to five in the eighth inning at Peco Park. But the thing to watch is the number of losses the Dodgers have compared to the Brewers and Braves. Right now, the Dodgers have opened it up against Atlanta, sweep in the Rockies, taking care of business the way they needed to, and now taking care of business here at Dodgers Stadium. They only have won eight to fifteen games at home since the All Star break. That needs to change going down the stretch. The Dodgers need to win home games, and their schedule in September is extremely more forgiving than what it has been the last eight weeks. And in fact, there was one site that really ranks the string the schedules and they said the Dodgers have the second easiest schedule in the month of September of any team in baseball. So that's also good news for the Dodgers. Also good news is they got Snell back. He's starting tomorrow and Tyler Glass now is going to return on Tuesday in Atlanta, the first game of that road trip, the first game of that series out there at Truest Park. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're going to take another time out. When we return, we will take more of your phone calls. We have one line open. We'll give you an update on what we saw with Otani's live BP today and what is next for him, and how the Dodgers are going to manage center field without Andy pa has Alec Thomas Tonight got the start, he got his first hit as a Dodger. He drove in his first run as a Dodger and the Dodgers beat the Pirates four to three on five seventy LA Sports. Hey, it's Miguel Rojas. This is Dodger Talk am LA Sports, your home.
Speaker 11: Off the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers defeat the Pirates four to three tonight and when they're fifth in a row, the Dodgers will look for the sweep against the Pirates tomorrow on snell Zilla Sunday. That's right. Blake Snell has dominated in his first two starts. Impressive that he was able to strike out ten and six innings in his first start against the Royals, and then impressive to go six innings and dominate the Rockies at Coursefield. I don't care who you are or where you're at in your season, but your second start since coming off the IL and you're pitching at Coursefield, you dominate the way Snell did. That was impressive and there was a great scene in the Dodger dugout during today's game between Trek Scooball and Blake Snell. I tweeted it out at the Real Underscore DV and you gotta love two lefties like that on the same staff talking the game plotting and Snell, I know, has a perception of being a guy that stays up all night to play video games and now you know, breaks open baseball cards. He does do that, but he does get his sleep. But he's a next level baseball savant when it comes to game planning, knowing's hitter swings. You know, he's he's really smart. And I feel like the perception that he has plays to his advantage because everybody thinks that he just has no clue what he's doing out there, but he has a bigger clue than most people realize. Daniel Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast Career chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com, use the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream. Kyle Tucker was our pregame guest. You can listen to that conversation on the iHeartRadio app. That's where he can make Dodger Talker preset and hear all the shows all the interviews, and I do encourage you to hear from Kyle Tucker earlier today, but a couple of days ago, Gary Sheffield was in town for the Pump Family Charity Foundation and he was asked about Kyle Tucker's struggles this year with the Dodgers, and chef being from Tampa knows about Kyle Tucker, who also is a Tampa guy. And here's what Gary Sheffield had to say. A guy that should be in the Hall of Fame, one of the best hitters in the history of the game, and certainly a guy that never holds back.
Speaker 1: One question on Kyle Tucker big free agent signing.
Speaker 4: It's been stumbling of late.
Speaker 2: What's you read on his situation and do you think you can get out of it? Well, you know, a guy from Tampa.
Speaker 12: You know, a lot of times when you play in a smaller market teams, you know, it can be a bit overwhelming for you coming in as a new teammate, especially when the team has already won without you, and so it puts a lot of pressure on you. You know, I know the kid from home, back home. You know, I've known since high school. He's going to bounce back. You know, he just needs to get this year out the way, come through in the playoffs and all to be okay.
Speaker 4: Any Gary Sheffield a device for him.
Speaker 12: Just keep going at it, you know, you just remember who you are. You're a great player and you can always continue to be great. So just remember just go out there. All that matters is the playoffs at this point. Once you get in there, you can be the man. It's quick, all right.
Speaker 2: There's Gary Sheffield with the California Post a couple of nights ago at the Beverly Hilton. And when you hear that as a Dodger fan, that's got to give you some confidence that Tucker can change his season with one hit in October. He had a big hit today. Hopefully that is the start of more things to come here at Dodgers Stadium, as his two runs single to put the Dodgers ahead for good in the fifth inning snapped an oh for twenty six drought here at Dodgers Stadium. Let's go out to Ish in Riverside. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 8: Ish, Hey, DV man, how's it gone? Long time knows the kind of a situation.
Speaker 4: Man, How you been.
Speaker 2: My life hasn't been the same since you called in last time. I've been waiting for you.
Speaker 8: Yes, there's been a hole in my heart as well. No, but hey, listen, man, we had a good game up there went with my brother Isaac, my sister Tanya. We were cooking in the sun. So totally understand what you're saying about being in the sun. But yeah, man, just a question I have regarding the lineup. You know, really happy to see some signs of life with Tucker. I think it is obviously Monsey's, you know, doing his Monsey thing. What are your thoughts on this lineup change? Obviously with pa has been out, I think Mooki was down to the third bat like kind of like he.
Speaker 2: Was up to the third spot from the fifth and sixth spot.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, yeah, right, So what are your thoughts of that? I mean, is this something that we're going to kind of see while Bajz is out? You know, I believe we're.
Speaker 4: Going to see this.
Speaker 2: I believe you're going to see this while Paz is out and until Will Smith returns and Mooki has this opportunity the next couple of weeks to prove that Mookie's back and I like Mooki's at Pats today. He hit the ball hard. Unfortunately a couple of times right at people, but uh, he was hitting the ball hard today and if he continues to do that, good things are going to happen.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, he's kind of seen a little bit more of a Pepini staff, a little bit more I don't want to say engaged, but I mean it was definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you use that word. I know nobody wants to say that word, but yeah, I feel like he has been more engaged the last week, and him and Taoscar Hernandez understand how to get through a full season. I mean, Mookie's a four time champion ta Oscar since he got here back to back champions, So these guys know how to get through a full season. And even Mookie said that to us in Denver. So I feel like it's go time for him and Taoscar Hernandez, and now with the injury to Paijaz, I think they understand that more than ever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, that's great. And then you know, as far as the call of Alex Thomas and stuff like that, again, I thought he did very very well obviously his first day out right, what does that look like? Is he coming up and down? Is he gonna stay for a little bit?
Speaker 2: What king tell us man, Well, he's staying and thanks for the phone call. Is she's staying. And the Dodgers are looking for defense from Alec Thomas because taoscar Hernandez and Kyle Tucker have limited range out there, so they need a center fielder that can cover as much ground as possible because those two guys are limited and Indy pa Has did that. I mean he covered a lot of ground from right center to left center. And that's first and foremost for the Dodgers, and that's the reason why Alec Thomas got the call up for his defense and whatever he can add with his speed at the bottom of the lineup is a bonus for the Dodgers until pa Has can return. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Phil and Santa Anna. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Phil?
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm good, David.
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: My pleasure.
Speaker 6: So right on, So I wanted to share this my experience recently. I'm a teacher surviving the first couple weeks of school here and so haven't made it through uh, Dodger Talk at night, but in the morning, I to Top on the AM five seventy iHeartRadio app listen to Dodger Talk and it's sympathetic. The other day you were talking about Kyle Tucker needing to get into the pregame on the field batting practice.
Speaker 4: He does it.
Speaker 6: Dave Roberts now is talking about how.
Speaker 4: He's loving is At. That's obviously today.
Speaker 6: Had a fantastic hit in a key moment. Then you were talking about Alec Thomas being the answer for Paz while he's out, Boom gets called up. So it's like you've been letting me know in the morning exactly what's going to happen later in the day with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you. I appreciate it. I know the Dodgers better than I know my wife and kids these days, so I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then just the last thing. The last week, you were kind of questioning callers on what's the answer with the concerns about Edwin Diaz, and you mentioned like Tanner Scott, that's the guy, and you know, Tanner Scott has just been maybe the most consistent Bolton pitcher this whole year and seen him go in now with the confidence he has, like.
Speaker 4: I feel it.
Speaker 6: I feel like we're gonna win when he goes in the lock it down and that feels good as we get culture to the playoffs because it would really be nice to have a guy like that, and whether or not Edwin Diaz comes back, I feel confidence in Tanner Scott and I'm just really excited to see what our pitchings that time has done with them, and yeah, looking forward to seeing what he does.
Speaker 2: The first example phil of coming into this big machine that's the Dodgers with high expectations defending champs and trying to do too much, not being himself, and then getting into a snowball of a season that he couldn't get out of, and then obviously having the issues that he had and not being part of the postseason roster. This year. He came in with a more relaxed and confident attitude in spring training and owned it that he wasn't good at all last year. He didn't shy away from it from the first day spring training when he was asked about it, too, even as recently when a reporter asked him about it in Denver after one of the games. So I think that's been part of it. I guess acknowledging all that is the first step, as they say, So I love seeing this confident version of Tanner Scott.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: And you know, at the end of the day, I think that we should all look at that and say, if this first year goes how it is with Edwin Diaz, look at Tanner Scott, look at all these other guys, like I think we should feel good about long term what we're going to get from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, Phil, And we'll see what he can do in October. Remember last year he was not part of it, so I'm sure he's looking forward to being part of the team in the postseason. Thanks for the phone call, Phil, and thanks for the love and listening on the iHeartRadio app. Speaking of Edwin Diaz, he was out here at the stadium working on his mechanics. Obviously, the neck is feeling better. We're expected to talk to Edwin Diaz tomorrow, so we'll be able to share that with you on the pregame show when we check in with Tim Kates on Dodgers on Deck. But Edwin Diaz has about twenty Ish games to show the Dodgers that he can be part of this postseason roster, at least in the very first round. Obviously, you can reset your roster as the postseason goes along, but he's got a proof that he can help and be one of the thirteen best pitchers on this staff. The Dodger staff is going to be really good like it was last year. Starters going to the bullpen to get outs. But if Edwin Diaz can come back and look like Edwin Diaz from a year ago, all of a sudden, the Dodger staff and Dodger bullpen in the postseason is looking even better. That'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk, Roy and Michael, I'm sorry I couldn't get to you. Call back on Tuesday when we have Dodger Talk from Atlanta, or you can call Tim Kates after the game tomorrow. And you know what tomorrow is, It's bump day for Blake Snell. Blake Snell has dominated in his first two starts since coming back from the IL. He's looking to continue that against the Pirates. Our coverage begins at noon tomorrow with first pitch at one ten and Snell Zilla knows all about my Ionic nine from our friends at Downy Hunday. He wants a ride so bad to the stadium on start day in my beautiful blue Ionic nine from Downy Hunday. And I say, you know what, Zilla, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. You gotta make at least five starts before I give you a ride in the Ionic nine Downy Hunday. Just kidding. He never asked for a ride, but I'm sure he's curious anyway. Thanks to Zach Eelcaldy pinch hitting for Colin Yee. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. And by the way, I want to send get better. Rick Monday had a right into the Rick Monday's saddle in the seventh inning. Rick is doing okay, you'll be back tomorrow. But you know, things happen sometimes. So Tim Neverett gracious enough to allow me to sit in the co pilot's seat for the last two innings. And gotta win. You know, when when a coach is suspended or thrown out in the middle of a game, the assistant coach gets credit for that win. So I feel like this win today goes on my books, not on Rick Monday's books. Once again. The final score today the Dodgers defeat the Pirates four to three. Have a great rest of your night. Be safe in Pasadena the Strokes concert at the Rose Bull. I'm very jealous. We'll talk to you tomorrow, see you