Speaker 1: It is Tuesday of February seventeenth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Lots to get to today.
Speaker 1: From the Rhode Island hockey shooting to new updates in the Nancy Guthrie case, and please don't toss your loved ones ashes at the Daytona five hundred plus your calls, dispatches, emails, text Sam more, Hey there Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello Selez, what's having him? And hello to you.
Speaker 1: You can join this other show today. All you have to do is send us a dispatch.
Speaker 2: Go to the.
Speaker 1: Neewsjunkie dot com hit record on your first dispatch today. You can also watch the show on YouTube and Twitch dot tv. Slash the Newsjunkie. Your message is rolling right into the studio in real time, and it is friends A Share the show Tay.
Speaker 2: Welcome in one and all, and make sure you share the show today.
Speaker 1: Tell somebody about this program, tell us somebody about this podcast, live stream radio station, however you're ingesting the show today, spread the word on a Share the show Tuesday. How is everybody doing on a Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Rested?
Speaker 3: Yes weeky weather?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know ish ish there is the one thing of I saw. I was like, okay, we're kind of back to normal. I'm looking at some of my bushes outside my house. Damn, the cold froze some of my bushes over here. I gotta revive these things.
Speaker 3: It's a dead zone in my yard.
Speaker 1: I said, all right, no worries. We'll be back up and running here soon. And then I see next week is going to be cold again.
Speaker 2: Man, what don't I was just.
Speaker 4: About to turn off the setting on my thermostat. That's like, if it goes colder than this, turn the heat on and just stick with straight up cool setting.
Speaker 2: And now you tell me, I gotta I gotta keep it now, I gotta keep it for a while. You gotta keep it for a.
Speaker 1: Little while longer before all is completely over with with this winter.
Speaker 2: It ain't over just yet.
Speaker 1: A groundhog agrees, I think, or you never know, because some of the groundhogs agree.
Speaker 2: Other groundhogs disagree. These are dead regional groundhogs.
Speaker 1: Regional groundhogs are like in disagreement with the pucksatani Phil, You know how it goes. All right, let's put our ears of the ground, our fingers on the post. Let's see what's happening to this great, big wide world of ours and we.
Speaker 2: Go to Vlusha County, Florida.
Speaker 1: Everybody, that's right where The Felusha County Sheriff's office has released some video of a Florida deputy rescuing an unresponsive woman from a house fire. This is a cop going into a smoke filled house and doing his best to try to rescue somebody. Let's see what happened. Here we go throwing.
Speaker 2: Stuff out of the west.
Speaker 1: I got someone on.
Speaker 2: The ground, sets his sights on the woman.
Speaker 5: Here WHOA sounds like a video games.
Speaker 1: It looks like a video game. I say for the blurring out of the woman.
Speaker 2: He got her. Wait, he's going in still.
Speaker 1: I think all these noises, just for the record, are The guy is like, there's smoke.
Speaker 2: There's smoke inside the house.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 7: People don't realize until you're like in it how bad it actually hurts.
Speaker 1: It's like that burn in your lungs. I think that's what he's getting. And so he's trying his best to keep it together. I got you, come picks her up. He's risking his own life to grab this lady.
Speaker 3: This is crazy.
Speaker 1: It's harder to pick up somebody than you might think.
Speaker 2: By the way, and then he busts his way out. Yeah, kicks the.
Speaker 3: Wall down, badass.
Speaker 1: What sounds like it? Don't see is he at that point during his rescue, he's like, just kill me.
Speaker 2: I'm exhausted, but you are.
Speaker 7: It's so close to the finish line here.
Speaker 1: He kool aid manned his way through the wall. He's got the woman. He's trying to pick her up that he's dragging her a little bit, but.
Speaker 2: He's like, I can't do it. This is it? Ll me kill me, kill me please? Is that what he said? Let's go back?
Speaker 5: Kill me?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's sound good. Kill me, say Kobe? And is bad in that it's quite hard to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they obviously wanted to censor out the victim, so you just see a big blob if you're watching live, just.
Speaker 3: Some future reference with the technology to just do the body. Yeah, well this video out.
Speaker 1: This particular officer commended for his action Lucia County Sheriff's Office, and they said the victim is stable and expected.
Speaker 2: To fully recovery, which good for you, dude. And then I started to wonder afterwards.
Speaker 1: I was like, could I no laughing, please, no laughing? Could I wander into a fire and pick up a person and bring them out of the fire.
Speaker 2: Depends on the person.
Speaker 1: Uh you you're in the fire, you said, No laughing, you said.
Speaker 2: But as clear as that, I'm.
Speaker 3: Going maybe adrenaline.
Speaker 1: Hopefully, Like I've seen a mom lift a car off a kid.
Speaker 4: Everybody everybody says that, have we seen a mom lift the car off a kid?
Speaker 2: Yes, I heard.
Speaker 1: About a mom lifting a car off a kid. So I don't know if that actually happened.
Speaker 4: What was a movie where Harlan Williams goes to like Mars or something. There's a there's a scene where like he has to do that, he.
Speaker 2: Has to pick up something, he has.
Speaker 4: To pick up something very heavy to rescue somebody and save the day.
Speaker 2: And he goes. They say that, uh, you know, a.
Speaker 4: Mother's instinct or something that gives her extra strength, Call me mommy. It's ridiculous, Like it's very All they have to do is scream call me mommy and pick you up.
Speaker 2: And and I have to call you.
Speaker 4: I have to scream mommy at you that I'm carrying you out.
Speaker 2: Of the fire.
Speaker 7: But not like like a baby, like a giant baby.
Speaker 3: There are ways I feel like I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, this is my rescue. I would like it to be like a baby I'm carrying.
Speaker 3: Both of you are going to die.
Speaker 1: Probably, I will tell you, And all the adrenaline will wear off the moment I get outside, and then my.
Speaker 2: Knees will just explode into san legs.
Speaker 4: I think maybe your best bet for me would be to grab me by the legs and drag me. I don't know, I don't know if you're getting up or torso.
Speaker 1: All right, challenge accepted. Yeah, I mean, I'll keep that in mind. If there's any fire with dolly that would be handy. Just keep a dolly in every room, you know, fire extinguisher daily.
Speaker 4: It was really nice if Sean to invite us over. Why does he have dollies everywhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, the real bitch would be if I did that, and then I still couldn't get you on the dolly because I'm not handy enough even with like the most rudimentary.
Speaker 2: Of the margin.
Speaker 1: Tell me just just keep saying it is.
Speaker 4: Can we get a hold of that officer or figure out what he said?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hope he's okay. That's all I'm hoping for. It looks like the lady's Okay, they got out of the fire all as well. Congratulations to everybody. Try not to set any fires in the in the future, all right. Uh. I do want to talk about, obviously, the thing I was watching all weekend long or whatever it was on the daytte of five hundreds.
Speaker 2: Up look at him.
Speaker 1: They were driving around and their automobiles out there for the Daytona five hundred. There was a couple of crashes. I saw, people were very passionate. There was some ass grabbing by Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Was weird.
Speaker 1: I know there's an excuse and it's like not as weird as it seems, but may I, may I never be on video grabbing a little kid's ass, all right, Like, if there's a little kid in front of me in line, it's just me and the kid in this line, and the ass of his shorts are on fire, I'm gonna be like, listen.
Speaker 2: Buddy, I heard stop dropping rollers the way to go.
Speaker 1: I'm not grabbing your ass to put anything out because cameras won't understand what's going on here, So.
Speaker 2: You'd rather the kid burn.
Speaker 1: The kid must die if if the cameras won't understand. Yeah, have you seen what happened today, Michael Jordan, Like, everybody's like, well, obviously he's.
Speaker 3: The kid's pants weren't on fire.
Speaker 1: The kid's pants were on ice. From what I could hear, they said he had ice in his pants. The kid had ice at his pants, and that's what Michael Jordan was like trying to fix and get that out of there. We can go over to this real quick because I've got a couple of videos here the video for those of you watching, and you can watch the show over on YouTube dot com slash the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: Search for the News Junkie on YouTube. You'll see the stream.
Speaker 1: And Michael Jordan is hanging out with this whole race crew. He's big in the racing world, right.
Speaker 2: His dad got him into it.
Speaker 1: Oh, he's a very wealthy man, and he does some smart things with his money. And he seems to really like racing and want to bring more black racers into the world of NASCAR and black fans into the stands to the world of NASCAR. There hasn't historically been a lot of either one of them. So he thinks there's a huge opportunity for this, and financially, he thinks he might win from it too, and it looks like he's very very close with a lot of these people. And there's this little guy and the video caught Michael Jordan behind the little guy, and Michael Jordan's like, it looks like.
Speaker 2: He's going on his ass. I'm just you know, be real.
Speaker 1: Video shows him the little kids in front of him. It looks like he's pinching his ass.
Speaker 2: I tell it's not his ass that's getting picked.
Speaker 3: It's not turning around the kid.
Speaker 2: It took a while to turn around.
Speaker 1: I think I would have turned around very quickly if I was in but the kid had ice from what I what I hear in the back of his shirt, and it just looks so bad, Like it just looks like there's a little kid in front of me.
Speaker 3: It looks so creepy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's there's a second.
Speaker 1: The other the other clip that's going around is of Michael Jordan near the same kid, and the kid's kind of like, oh God, he's here again, because like, is he behind me?
Speaker 2: Behind me? Tell me if he gets any closer.
Speaker 1: The truth of the matter is so much different than the video, which is why I made this pivot here, because sometimes the video will convince people of all kinds of crazy stuff, and people like, well, obviously Michael Jordan wanted to touch this little boy at the race and just do it in front of everybody and all the cameras and stuff, and so often there's like there's another excuse, you know, there's a reason I can explain, is a real thing. And it looks like this was not as nefarious as it seemed. But uh man, that one went viral as home.
Speaker 7: It is funny to consider that that little boy has no idea how much of a.
Speaker 3: Legend, no, and how viral he is.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 7: At what point is he beyond his ears where someone can sit him down and be like, Michael Jordan, you fifteen years ago, or is Michael Jordan now.
Speaker 3: Just seeing the end of his.
Speaker 1: I think I got to Michael Jordan is just enjoying things I always hear about him, like smoking cigars, hanging out at these kind of places VIP style, not really caring much about what people think. Which is great for you, Michael Jordan on a day like this. It is just fantastic on a day like this. But he faced some backlash over this weird celebration. Yahoo News calls it weird celebration with a child after the Daytona five hundred win.
Speaker 2: It was kind of strange. I mean, I just.
Speaker 4: Think what's crazy is like that kid is just like used to being around Michael Jordan all the time. I know that's Tyler Reddick's son. That's the son of the guy who won the five hundred Michael. It's Michael Jordan's racing team. This is this is big news for Michael Jordan, and it's kind of unfortunate for Michael Jordan that it's now being slightly overshadowed by this weird Michael Ice in the pants thing.
Speaker 1: Imagine being pants. Imagine being a kid being annoyed by Michael Jordan. Bothered you, I'd be like, this is awesome.
Speaker 3: Just leave it alone.
Speaker 1: Please, Sure he only touches my ass, but he's still hanging out with me.
Speaker 2: This is something more than my friends have. I would be excited.
Speaker 1: Michael Jordan, feel free anytime you want ice.
Speaker 2: No ice, all the rest.
Speaker 3: Just like Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: I'd be like just trying to scoot near everybody.
Speaker 2: Get up anything you see Jordan, anything you want to dunk on.
Speaker 4: Anything, basketball, You walk by Michael Jordan on an airplane.
Speaker 2: And you're like, I he.
Speaker 8: Kill me, kill me.
Speaker 1: It's a little like wiggling and in front of them kind of all right. I do want to talk about a couple of things, and one that that I think is so absolutely unhinged. That will be about the Daytona five hundred. We'll get it too that momentarily real quickly. Uh, some emails coming in tips at the news yunki dot com. Chris emails the show and he says, here they go again. TMZ receives a fourth Nancy Guthrie demand email and it says come forward and tell us. And they said they had the chance to offer the fifty thousand dollars and still can't pull the trigger.
Speaker 2: What a bunch of punks.
Speaker 1: This makes them come off as in my opinion, keep up the work, says Chris Coleman, the Pisenberg guy, Pop popcorn Man, that guy emailing the show, And he's right, it's so ridiculous that TMZ at this point is like, we got another email from this person. It's the same bitcoin account, so therefore it's the same person. And you're like, pay it. Fifty grand is nothing to TMZ. Pay it otherwise shut up.
Speaker 7: Well, over fifty grand with all of the website visits.
Speaker 2: A course, they've they've made a windfall off of this.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous. Oh what else here? Tips of the news junk dot com. Christen emails the show, Hey news Junkie, love your show. Listen all of the time. Have you ever checked fl treasure hunt dot CoV Oh?
Speaker 9: I have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I've done that before.
Speaker 1: She says you could search by person, bring you to a pageer you put in your name to see if you have.
Speaker 2: Any unclaimed funds.
Speaker 1: I've found fifteen to fifty dollars there. You can check all your friends' names, family, et cetera. That's fl treasure hunt dot gov for those of you in Florida. A lot of states have these, though, so you might have.
Speaker 2: One in New York or anywhere else.
Speaker 4: I think my wife just got a pretty decent check, or at least she got like a notice that there was a pretty decent check waiting.
Speaker 1: Did she really? Courtey's so good at this kind of stuff. I'm like, I talk about mailbox money, but I don't do it. She hears me talk about it, does it, and all the time She's just like, oh, just got some money.
Speaker 2: Boop just got some money.
Speaker 1: We're sitting there hanging out this weekend, and she goes, oh, just got ten dollars, and I go, ten dollars?
Speaker 4: A what?
Speaker 1: And she goes, we bought the nowadays THHD drinks and then I followed some instructions and they just venmoed me ten dollars.
Speaker 2: And I said, they just gave you ten dollars.
Speaker 7: All she gonna do is give them your Social Security number?
Speaker 2: Probably yeah, yeah, but she got it. It worked.
Speaker 1: My neighbor who was in her eighties, whose husband said she knows where every dime is found. Over five thousand dollars, says Kristen.
Speaker 2: It only takes a few minutes. You should check it out.
Speaker 1: Thank you and over to this tips in the news junky dot com and Angela emails the show same name as my sister Angela. Hey there, podcast listener here from the five Am Days, Sean, Whenever I hear you use the phrase political people, I think it would be a perfect parody of Marilyn Manson's The Beautiful People.
Speaker 2: You and I both I.
Speaker 1: Hope you read this on air and one of the talented news Junkie listeners will make that happen.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Thanks for all the love you do, love the show, sincerely, Angela, Angela, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the political people, I think it would work.
Speaker 1: And I looked and then it's like AI doesn't want to do those things because copyrights And.
Speaker 2: Where's the AI that you know doesn't care, doesn't care?
Speaker 1: Uh huh wut the version of AI that's like grab a kids icee asses.
Speaker 2: I want the A.
Speaker 1: That doesn't listen to the rules, that doesn't have any bumpers or guard rails, scruple free AI. Yes, yeah, I want the AI that will say slurs at me every once in a while, not what mine does?
Speaker 2: You know what mine does?
Speaker 1: Oh, Sean, that's a badass idea or hell yeah, hell yeah Sean, Hell yeah, Sean.
Speaker 7: I told mine to stop doing that and stop using emojis. Just get to the point place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what are you fifteen? What's going on? You're an AI?
Speaker 4: Forgot So one thing that I have been doing forever that I think is now tied to AI, specifically chat GPT is the m dash. Yeah, Like people were like, oh AI is ruining the m dash because now that is now it seems like some sort of sign to people that you've used chat GPT for something, Yeah, because you copied and pasted it and it has the M dash. First of all, didn't know that thing had a name, didn't know that putting space was called an m dashers, just stuff that I did to like kind of transition thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that.
Speaker 1: Doesn't doesn't just change the situation, it changes the game entirely, like everything in that format.
Speaker 2: Now, people think you're using chat GPT, though.
Speaker 4: I've never been personally accused of it. I mean, I use it all the time for other stuff. But like I just read about the m dash thing and people were blaming chat gpt for ruining the what's what's a perfectly good punctuation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I put a bunch of misspellings and stuff in there so people know it's real. Now, I put at least two slurs and a couple of misspelled things, like yeah, like if you do every other letter capital and.
Speaker 2: Then lower case used to be so cool. People know, they know, they're like, this is real, this isn't from AI.
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back, I want to talk about somebody doing just the unthinkable. At the Daytona five hundred and we got to put a stop to this stuff.
Speaker 2: We have to put a stop to this.
Speaker 1: A man who just threw his ashes on the winning cars the finish line, well not his, that would be a hell of a feed. He threw the ashes that he had with him. Somebody lost the limb and just cremated that limb.
Speaker 2: Throst it out there.
Speaker 1: And this this person, I'll tell you exactly how they did this and why this needs to stop. Okay, we need to stop this entirely, and that is coming up next in the news junkie. I have to say something, and I mean this like as much as somebody can mean something. All right, I'm this is this is coming from the heart.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: When someone tells you that when they die, here are the instructions for what to do with their ashes, you don't actually have to do it. You don't, there's no need. You don't have to do this stuff.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 1: I will go, well, you know, I brought this person's ashes to the Haunted Mansion in Disney World and I threw them all over the crowd there. And you go, well, why would you do a thing like that. Well, that's what they wanted me to do. And then somebody will say, like I got a motorcycle, and I got on the motorcycle.
Speaker 2: And drove all the way through South America because that's.
Speaker 1: What they wanted me to do. Like you, you can. I just want to give you this permission. You can ignore somebody's requests on what they want you to do with their ashes.
Speaker 3: They're not there. They're going to haunt you.
Speaker 1: They aren't gonna haunt you. There's no such thing as goes. You're gonna be fine. You could just ignore it. I did it, all right. I did the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: My father was started to talking about how he wanted to be buried.
Speaker 2: In a peanut can.
Speaker 1: He wanted his ashes put in like this peanut can, chuck full of nuts can. And my dad would say, I'm telling you, when I die, Sean, just put my ashes in the can.
Speaker 2: My father was Alex Jones. Put in the can, and I will eat your neighbors. I will eat your neighbors. Put my ashes in the can. And I said, oh, yeah, you got it, Dad, you got it.
Speaker 1: And then I remember sitting there and having this moment where I was at my dad's funeral and people are going up and saying stuff, and I see the urn for my father's ashes in front of me, and I go, should I grab that and put it in the nut can? He wanted me to put it in the nut can, but you know what I did. I said, no, let's take the ashes, go through the rest of the process as they normally.
Speaker 2: Do, and then he save some money. Though I didn't want to do.
Speaker 1: Any of that because I thought it was ridiculous and you don't have to do these things, but people sometimes do them. And somebody at the dayton of five hundred was right at the finish line.
Speaker 2: The cars are flying by. Again.
Speaker 1: I don't know why any spectators watch this sport, but boy, do a lot of them do it. Spectators out there and all the cars just going by, no idea who those were and what order they were in, but there we go, and as they're going across the finish line at the Daytona five hundred, this guy runs out and throws what everybody's assuming to be human ashes on the cars who are crossing the finish line of the dayton of five hundred.
Speaker 2: For those of you watching on YouTube, here's the visual.
Speaker 1: Cars crashing coming around the corner. Boomy grows the ashes up over the field of vehicles, as they're crossing the finish line for the Daytona five hundred.
Speaker 2: And I hate this.
Speaker 1: I hate this because now you've he was caught in his own cloud of ashes as he threw them onto the cars. And I'm sure his friends like, I'll tell you what I want happening to me if I die.
Speaker 2: It just looks like he barely got any of them. That's the fence. They blew back in his.
Speaker 9: Face like a clouds from foot.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I want to be.
Speaker 1: I want to be on the hood of those cars finishing the daytone of five hundred. I want to be on the hood of those fast cars with those fast drivers and the father of that little kid who's ass is going to get grabbed by Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: That's I want to be my ashes. I wanted to be on the hood of that car.
Speaker 3: Well, that didn't happen. You ended up in strangers' mouths.
Speaker 2: He ended up in his friend's mouth. This is a cloud.
Speaker 1: He throws a cloud up into the air and then it goes all over him. And then the cloud, obviously there's wind drafting through, blows back and people are sitting there in the stands all of a sudden they're.
Speaker 2: Eating your friend.
Speaker 4: I don't mind the idea of spreading people's ashes as long as it's not you know, imposed upon anyone else, Like you know this one. It looks like there weren't a lot of people around, but those ashes definitely wear airborne.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of people around.
Speaker 4: There's one hundreds of thousands of people right and not right next to that guy you're throwing ashes into the air, blows back on everybody.
Speaker 2: This is like, shirt, go stop, stop disp are mad. I'm mad today.
Speaker 4: But like I've seen a video where somebody took their friend's ashes to an EDM show and they like during the drop.
Speaker 2: Like it's like.
Speaker 10: And then they just chucked the ashes in the air just upwards, not to discuss that, and like I'm like other people inhaled that like after they did that, like it cuts to them in the in the uber or something afterwards they're like, I.
Speaker 2: Think I still got some Travis on my pants. I mean really did, They're just everywhere. That's weird.
Speaker 1: You gotta stop doing this stuff. You got to stop doing it. I agree with you ceiling in as much as if somebody says, hey, this is my favorite park take me to the park. It used to be spread them in a lace, spread them in like nobody's around, or maybe like just a couple of friends around or something. But when you start to do this in such a public way and then all these other people are around you, it involves them in it.
Speaker 2: And I've seen this happening, like, I don't know if I can find the video.
Speaker 1: There was one where somebody tossed the ashes over the ship and then the ashes all came back on the people and the ship nasty.
Speaker 7: My favorite is I think it was a Pink concert and someone just threw the entire bag of ashes and she's like.
Speaker 3: Is this year, mom?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool to do this.
Speaker 3: I'm in the middle of raiser glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You don't need to do this stuff. It's weird, all right, Like I get that. There's a lot a lot of this kind of stuff. Oh one of them was a scene in the White Lotus, I guess, But there have been a lot of people doing this where they scatter the ashes and they blow back of the people's face and everybody's.
Speaker 2: Like, look, go and is that the video? Say how to scatter ashes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: In case you didn't know, I'd probably imagine a loved one scattering ceremony as a dignified yet reflective moment for family in front grove. If this is your first experience with scattering someone's ashes, you probably are worried about. The ceremony goes smoothly.
Speaker 1: This is how they do it, man, they get the monetization up. Okay out shooting their size. At six hundred and five hundred and thirty eight subscribers, seventy one thousand views on this video, you know what I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: This is a video somebody should make. All right, anybody could take this if they want to.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen the cooking video that start normally and then turn into a wild parody of themselves that but with spreading ashes like in a moment of in your moment of grief, make sure that you remember to properly spread the ashes of your loved one.
Speaker 2: And it starts out with really good advice.
Speaker 1: Make sure that you were grabbing all of the ashes so they're uniquely dispersed across the target situation that you're trying to pour the.
Speaker 3: Ashes on, spread your fingers, and then.
Speaker 2: Just toss in a whole bunch of nonsense some other things. Sprinkle some on a chicken nugget.
Speaker 7: You want to go, put it in the captain's eyes, see what happens and where you into us.
Speaker 1: Toss it in the eyes of an enemy would be a good one, and there's lots of options here, but.
Speaker 11: This is I think this is following some basic tips, you can have a stress free scattering ceremony.
Speaker 1: Why do I know, big fat no to you guys in chat scatter my ashes on the news junkie logo and Sean's studio. No, oh no, I don't want a bunch of dead, ground up humans in my studio.
Speaker 2: It's weird and I don't want that cause then you just end up with a bunch of dead, ground up humans in your dicon. Yeah, and I don't want that either.
Speaker 1: I want them completely totally out of my house. I feel like they should just throw them away. I don't know why they give them to anybody to begin with. I don't even know where my mom's ashes are. I got them somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think mine's going in a conventic canon.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just I think that the best way to handle this, well, why not do something sweet every once in a while. They'll do some sweet stuff and they'll go. We took your mother's ashes and we made them in to this small.
Speaker 3: Rock, and they like cool rings.
Speaker 2: Here's a ring.
Speaker 1: Here's a firework. That's a nice one. Oh, the firework goes off, goes, but it's so far away it seems less gross and stuff.
Speaker 2: Stop doing this stuff, please.
Speaker 11: First spend some time scouting out the location where you hope to scatter the ashes.
Speaker 2: Dayton, we'll be.
Speaker 11: Walking to the ceremony. Are you taking a boat offshore? Is there access for older family members? Are there rules about scattering? She's in the place you have chosen. Next, be prepared when you open the urn. Human ashes are more like crushed stone than fireplace ash.
Speaker 2: They don't want you to react when you open it up.
Speaker 12: What is this?
Speaker 2: Her teeth are still there? Dat?
Speaker 13: What?
Speaker 2: Like you're going to open it up?
Speaker 14: Like?
Speaker 2: Well, what in the hell? What are we dealing with here?
Speaker 1: I think you know how to do this. I don't even think you need the video? Is this one where it actually happened? Throwing the ashes of a deceased loved one here? She can't even get it out of the content. Oh god, oh god, see's in your hair now?
Speaker 3: There's still so much as.
Speaker 2: There having a good time. See that's what you loved one once.
Speaker 1: I'm sure these two can't stop laughing right now as the ashes of their deceased loved one are flying.
Speaker 2: All over this bridge that they're at right now, at least by themselves.
Speaker 1: Joe Anne's on the ledge. It's just it didn't go anywhere. I went down like a foot and a half, there's Joe Anne. Let's not do this at these public things. Okay, if you've spread ashes of a loved enough, Joanne died jumping off that bridge, so this is a full circle. Let us know what happened. If you've done this or I attempted it before, send a dispatch it useunki dot com. No, no, no, the ashes thing. People are already sending him in. I already got I got a video dispatch somebody talking about this, sending your experiences with doing this if if you've on this before, or go to tips at the news Junkie dot com with your emails on this quick break when we come back. We'll get to this at some point in time, maybe maybe when we come back with this hockey shooting that happened in Rhode Island, which is pretty crazy. Updates like crazy and the Nancy Guthrie story, and a whole lot more to get into on a busy share this show Tuesday and that.
Speaker 2: Is coming up next, and then news Junkie.
Speaker 1: There was a big story that was developing this weekend about a shooting during a like a kid's hockey game in Rhode Island, and I've got some of this year that I.
Speaker 2: Want to go over. It was like high school kids, all right, right, yeah, as.
Speaker 1: Young kids like their youth hockey playing out there. I've got a rundown on this. Let me bring this up. Hang on, here's our rundown. It says Rhode Island hockey shooting and this was the home of the Wildcats where this took place. And the rundown is on February sixteen, twenty twenty six, a tragic shooting unfolded at the Dennis am Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, which isn't Pawtucket featured and like family guyant stuff, it is, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Potatu, I think co hog is fake. But Pawtucket Patriotor or Pawtucket pat or.
Speaker 1: Whatever beer right, yeah, yeah, the incident resulted in three fatalities at this hockey match, including the shooter, and left three others critically injured. The assailant, identified as Robert Dorgan also known as Roberto ROBERTA. Esposito, was present to watch a family member's game when the violence erupted. Authority suggests the attack stems from a family dispute. A bystander's courageous intervention helped bring the situation to a swift end.
Speaker 2: So there was like a brave.
Speaker 1: Bystander who who stood up during this hockey match when there was an attack underway. It went down about two thirty pm Eastern Standard time yesterday during a boys hockey game at this arena. The shooter targeted individuals in the stands, causing panicum on player and spectators, and he was shooting his family members.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 1: A bystander intervened, attempting to subdue the shooter. The assailant died from an apparent self inflicted gunshot wound. Two adult victims were pronounced dead at the scene. Three others were critically injured and transported to Rhode Island Hospital. They've interviewed over one hundred witnesses and reviewed video footage.
Speaker 2: I'll get to that in just a.
Speaker 3: Moment, just like a snap or is just coming off as premeditated.
Speaker 1: This was a guy who was married and had a whole family, including some of the kids that were playing in this hockey game, and a couple of years is back, the guy went transgender and had a falling out with his family and started living as Roberta. And there was a lot of issues that led to divorce from this arc that this this person went on, and it caused a huge rift in the family. And they said, this guy going as Roberta used to show up at these hockey games like a dress and the whole thing, and then just pulled out a gun and started shooting in the middle of this hockey game. And you stayed by the dump button because I don't know if anybody curses, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Actually, I don't even know if there's audio on this, but this is the folks on the ice, all right. There's a regular hockey game going on. Gunshots. Oh my god, that's all I'm gonna go back. That's a lot of shots.
Speaker 3: And that took three of them for people to realize what was going on.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, they're playing hockey, and you know, for me, I kind of thought it was like when they do the thing at during a game where they go dun, you know, the crowd like chance along or stomps along.
Speaker 2: But that that was a gunshot. Count them everybody hits the deck about it didn't hit that there. I think you were dead on about that rhythm.
Speaker 1: It was close to it, right, And then everybody starts panicking. All these poor kids are fleeing, my god, up or jumping onto the ice and trying to go to the other side of the rink to get away from where this shooter was. Somebody was subduing this person in the stands. Obviously you could hear just the you know, the panic and chaos of the crowd in this moment as they tried to figure out what the hell just happened. But that that was no insignificant amount of shots.
Speaker 2: That was a long one.
Speaker 15: To the reading.
Speaker 2: That's a clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like fourteen shots or something. I don't know if it's said earlier how many rang out, but.
Speaker 2: That was a lot.
Speaker 1: They left three people dead, including the shooter, and three more hospitalized, all because this person went to a family member's hockey game and then decided to just blow this whole thing up. The police chief did not provide further details about the shooter and the victims on this story from the AP. Let me see what back to the rundown and see what else we have. The central issue of revolves around a family dispute that escalated into a public act of violence. Legal dimensions include the shooter's history of family related disputes and potential mental health concerns. In fact, I think I have this this shooter's daughter afterwards saying like is mentally ill.
Speaker 2: It was very mentally ill.
Speaker 1: Ethnically, the incident raises questions about public safety at family events and the adequacy of mental health support systems. This is the shooter identified as Robert aka Roberta born in nineteen sixty nine, had a history of family disputes and legal issue who is related to gender identity. The investigation started shortly after, and now law enforcement is looking into this some reactions. Chief of Police Tina Gonkalvez emphasized the targeted nature of the event and the ongoing investigation. Yeah, because this was not just on a whim. They must have done this on purpose. They knew exactly what they were doing. The mayor expressed sorrow over the tragedy, highlighting its impact on the community, the young athletes involved. This has gotten a lot of attention afterwards. So what else do I have here in terms of the media from this. I think this is the same video. Here is the police talking afterwards at a press conference. Let's see what the officer says. They're asking if it was a transgender person.
Speaker 13: So what I can say right now that we have identified the person the sussec by a birth name. The birth name was Robert Dorgan. We have also learned that the person does go by the name of ROBERTA also uses the last name of Esposito. But again that will be all confirmed throughout the cost of the investigation. As to this status, that really doesn't have anything to do with the investigation, all right.
Speaker 1: So they're confirming who this was in the story behind it. Now I'm most worried I think about this one. This is allegedly the woman who is the daughter of this this guy who opened up open fire on this this hockey event. Stand by the dump button there because obviously this person was very very upset afterwards, and I guess they were just talking about the mental illness issues.
Speaker 2: He shot my family and he's dead.
Speaker 14: Now described that shooting suspect as her father. She came out of the police department behind me here in tears. Yeah, after presumably being interviewed by police.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what happened shot?
Speaker 1: Well, she just dropped that kind of like nonchalantly fucking by the reporter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She's like, my father was a shooter. He shot my family and now he's dead. She's health this year, so yes.
Speaker 14: She goes on to describe those mental health issues a little bit more. She says that he had been struggling with mental health for quite some time.
Speaker 2: She's she said he was very sick.
Speaker 1: Quote, he was very sick, she said of her father, who was allegedly the person behind all of this. And that story has exploded all over the place this weekend. We'll get your reaction to that, send your dispatches over at the news junkie dot com.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: You know that the whole family was there, and then you got the family reacting right afterwards. And then because it was this game, there was several angles of the video just like recording as those shots rang out and as people panicked and the kids first they and you know something weird to this where probably these kids now have seen so many stories like this. I wouldn't be surprised if a teenager or even preteen in twenty twenty six has gone through the paces of what would I do and if this.
Speaker 2: Happens around me, if this happens like at my school or something like.
Speaker 1: They have drills for that now, yeah hockey, yeah, yeah, they have like drills in the schools and different things. And you probably think about this at some point in time. They all hit the deck first, and then they immediately started to skate across the ice to go as far away as they could from the scene as somebody tackled this person and subdued them there on site. So we'll get to that and any updates along with that story as the show rolls on today. Let's see here we got tick quick break, We have Tick quick break. I got a lot of ASHES stories coming in.
Speaker 2: I am surprised.
Speaker 1: I'm surprising the amount of ASHES stories that are coming into the show. But we'll see what happened in your situations. Comparing that to the person at the DAYTONA five hundred that thought it would be a good idea to throw their ashes on the winning cars as they crossed the finish line and they were all crashing.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to your versions of that.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot coming up, including updates in the Nancy Guthrie case, some very weird ones there, and so much more, and it's all coming up next in the News Junkie email coming in, this person says I'd like to be anonymous, Please to tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. Anonymous says, when my mother in law died, she was cremated. We went to a beach on the east coast of Florida right after sunrise. Not many people were around at the time. We went near the water. I dug a small trench and dump the ashes in the trench. The ashes were washed right away when the waves came back to the shore. No ashes were inhaled in this story. Sir, that is the way to do it, or madam anonymous, that is the way to do this. Okay, you do this in such a way where it's respectable to other people. Don't run out at the Daytona five hundred and throw your your pals ashes up in the air and then augusta wind brings it back over everybody in the audience and they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I'm choking on your friend. Like that is just a rude, rude thing to do, all right, it seems a little bit rude.
Speaker 7: Thank you for having email another way to perhaps put make the ashes, like instead of it being an ash form, Hey, you want to put it in this public place, We've made it into a coin.
Speaker 1: There's some things like that. Yeah, there's different things like that, which I think that's kind of sweet. You can flip it into a fountain somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do that whatever you got to do with it in a soda machine, But like doing it in a public place.
Speaker 1: Where where you risk tossing the ashes into the wind and then the ashes blow back on other people. I'm just not going to get behind that. I'm sorry. Here is Michael emailing the show tips to the news Junkie dot Com. Happy Fat Tuesday junkies.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right. Yeah, I wonder if Shylah Buff is still getting hammered in.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to talk about him.
Speaker 2: You have seen it.
Speaker 1: Buff is like running hog wild in the French Quarter for New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Apparently some people are like is he still sober?
Speaker 2: What's going on with this guy Tuesday? So he's probably kicking it.
Speaker 1: Up right now, mister Shilah buff. We'll see what happened with him in the next episode. Just a bit first off, thank you, says the email. I just got off that Florida treasure hunt website you were talking about. Yeah, FL treasure hunt dot.
Speaker 3: Dot org.
Speaker 1: Are I have to look this backup FL treasure Hunt dot gov. FL Treasure Hunt dot gov. Just got off that fl treasure hund website and found several claims which total around five hundred dollars for me groovy. Regarding ashes, I.
Speaker 2: Remember a story I read in one of my aviation.
Speaker 1: Magazines about a flying club that lost its founding member. This person was a fixture of that particular pilot community, so they thought it would be an honor to release his ashes in the sky. They did so in Assessed note one seven to two, which is a single engine, four seat aircraft, one of the most common in the general aviation world. I'll take your word for it. And then Michael continues, They got to a decent altitude and the air was common perfect, so the passenger opened the window and released the man's ashes. The ash cloud subsequently got caught in the prop wash, which rolled it over the front of the aircraft and push it pushed it into the vents, filling the cockpit and resulting in an emergency landing.
Speaker 2: Oh god, chaos.
Speaker 4: Could you imagine if the very last thing that your loved one does is take down the rest of you.
Speaker 1: And then those people have wishes for their ashes and you're like, no, no, stopping it now, We're stopping it now real quickly. I'm in a side tangent off of that email because they said groovy and see Lane did the groovy Austin Powers thing.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you see the megaviral Austin Powers video over the weekend?
Speaker 4: Oh, I've just really been continually watching the megaviral AI star Wars video over the weekend with Natalie Portman.
Speaker 2: I don't think I saw this. What happened with this before?
Speaker 1: I tell you the clip that's going absolutely skywall right now.
Speaker 2: It was talking about needing AI for cancer research. Oh yeah, and then it just made their boobs real big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People were like, this is it? This is what people are using AI for right.
Speaker 1: All of the water that it's wasting and the power my power bills going up for this the thing I was talking about with the groovy baby. This is so this is like I would do this if it wudn't be so weird to do it. But this guy posted a video Chase Hoffer is his name, and he titled it yeah baby, Yeah, stay by the dump button again if you don't mind Soubrita, because I forgot if he cursed in this and I'm just kind of sidetracking in real time. But this guy hired an Austin Powers impersonator for just himself.
Speaker 3: In his living room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I love this just so much. Not a party, no nothing.
Speaker 1: He just hires Austin Powers Investigator impersonator and the Austin Powers of personatre shows up his house.
Speaker 2: Hey you must be Chase baby, welcome. What a grip you have? You must live alone? So what you want me to do? Like what I would do with a party. He's a pretty good Austin Power It looks the part for sure.
Speaker 7: I so love this guy's bit because it's not the only person who brings into his living room all the time.
Speaker 1: It's so funny that he's He's hired this guy to do this in his living room because and just funny that this guy is still doing this in.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty six was a long time ago. And he just hires them. And the guy's like, normally I do this at parties. You music play you know the song.
Speaker 17: Yes, I come in and say, oh yeah, yeah, So how's everybody today?
Speaker 2: Man, this is great. It's said, oh I fell over, yeah you go, oh you make a lovely couple. Because it's the the boobs he's talking about looking at some of these boobs.
Speaker 1: I think what he took to is googling Austin Power lines, the Austin Powers impersonator that this guy hired just to be at his house.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have him like, uh memorized, but no.
Speaker 3: Nobody has his bit.
Speaker 7: He was just hoping someone with boobs would be there, so he's just kind of letting them all out.
Speaker 2: This guy got paid yeah, at a different time. No, I don't think, but I understand it. Did you watch the super Bowl?
Speaker 1: It's just Austin Powers is giving up, is just sitting on the couch, is like, can you watch.
Speaker 2: The Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: I blew out all my lines in the first five minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I love it. That's uh, this is how this is how you do things. Now, I would do this.
Speaker 1: But the other side of this is that you're stuck hanging out with an Austin powers impersonator for god knows how long there you go.
Speaker 2: It says absolutely gone.
Speaker 1: It's someone hiring an Austin powers impersonator to come to this empty house. Eventually, they just watched rap videos and talked about the Super Bowl as they got acquainted with one another. I think you could send all right, a couple other things on the ashes front. I'm telling you, it's very, very surprising to me how many people chimed in on this.
Speaker 2: Here is a video dispatch. Let's see, Oh passed away in twenty sixty hard to hear you. That's the way she was cremated.
Speaker 9: My kids and I decided that we want to go up to this place in the mountains called Pretty Place. Pretty Place. It's like a chapel, outdoor chapel that's up on top of the mountains.
Speaker 2: All right, I's cross.
Speaker 1: Out there and anything.
Speaker 2: So we go up there and my daughter brings her.
Speaker 9: Ashes up there, and my daughter decides she wants to throw her mother's ashes off the Pretty Place, which is kind of majestic but there's a lot of people out there, and she goes over to the.
Speaker 15: Side, around the side where no one is that.
Speaker 9: She throws them and carries all of her ashes to the crowded people that were standing and looking at pretty place.
Speaker 16: We heard.
Speaker 2: I think I told the story before, but we heard someone saying, oh my god, what is that?
Speaker 16: But yeah it was.
Speaker 1: I said, girls, let's go please, now, yeah, please, let's get come on, come on, get the rest of the ashes. Let's get that hell out of here. Just a bad idea all the way around. One more on this front. Here's missy Okay.
Speaker 3: Hey, news junkies.
Speaker 18: My sister and I I took my father's ashes and mixed it with some quick crete in a square planter box like this, let him set, and then we took him out to Stark Lake and Okoe and threw him.
Speaker 2: In oh like concrete. Yeah, okay, all right, you know that's better.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna blow back in anybody's face like happened at the Daytona five hundred. I mean, that seems like a more responsible thing to do. Here's just one more happy day news jokie crew. So you're talking about ashes.
Speaker 19: My mom was cremated when she passed from brain cancer back last August.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 19: Since then, we have spread some of her ashes at Cocoa Beach, Rainbow River and Wiki Watchie River. And I will be in Daytona for the race in August, and I plan on leaving some. I'm not going to do like their mother fools didn't try to throw it in front of the cars.
Speaker 2: The area will be some of her ashes. I will to probably eight races her. She loved Nascar, and that's all I got to say about that. Thank you, Mike, appreciate the dispatch.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna do it, just don't make it so other people are eating the ashes of your friends or family members. And be responsible, please, There's so many people that do this stuff. I gave you the example of of Disney World and the Haunted Mansion ride. They had to literally ban it. They had to tell you, like, you can't just come here and the costs.
Speaker 4: That's the problem with that is people want to do it anyway. They want to just kind of go rogue. It's like Disney World almost you know, it's it's slippery, slow, but they almost should have like a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like the problem is though, when you do this.
Speaker 1: If the if you go after the person who did it, it's like they lost somebody. So like if you punish them, people are gonna go, oh my god, how could you do this. This person's just nice person, they had a loss in their family. Why would you do it? Seems mean that you're going after them, but you shouldn't be doing this. You just be responsible with it, for God's sake. One of the other things going mega viral over the weekend, perhaps one of the worst interview back and forth I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Let me see if I could bring this up here. I don't have the clip in front of me, but I can't get it.
Speaker 1: Former President Barack Obama was asked about aliens. All right, he sat down with some guy, Brian Tyler Cohen is his name, and the former president Obama is sitting down with him, and the guy asked a question, which is a good question to ask anybody that was at the level of being president of the United States of America. And the guy says, hey, aliens, real or no, you're the guy, you were the president, you were in the White House, real or no? And Obama says yes and then moves past it, and the guy has no.
Speaker 2: Follow up questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, like Obama said yes, he said yes, that there's aliens, and then the guys is like, I move along.
Speaker 2: Here's the clip that is just skyrocketed. Are aliens real?
Speaker 16: Uh, they're real, but I haven't seen them, and and and they're not being kept in Uh what is it fifty one? Uh there's no underground facility unless there's this enormous conspiracy and they hit it from the President of the United States.
Speaker 20: Maybe what was the first question you wanted answered when you became president?
Speaker 2: Where are the aliens?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So he's he asked him as a follow up, what was the first question you want to answer? It's like the aliens thing, But he did say that aliens are real. Right at the beginning, He's like, aliens are real, but they're not an area of fifty one.
Speaker 2: Are aliens real?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 16: They're real, but I haven't seen them and and and they're not being kept in Uh what is it fifty?
Speaker 2: So he's that they're real, I haven't seen them, right, I haven't seen them.
Speaker 1: And Obama clarified after this interview at viral, saying, I always try to stick with the spirit of the speed round of questions. But since it's gotten attention, let me clarified. Statistically, the universe is so vast that the odds are good that there's life out there, but the distances between solar systems are so great that the chances we've been visited by aliens is low. And I saw no evidence during my presidency that extraterrestrials have made contact with us. That's the former President Obama riddly.
Speaker 7: Because there's obviously top secret, classified security levels in which there is information that the presidencies, but they are sworn to that.
Speaker 3: Secrecy for lifetime, are they not?
Speaker 7: I got the repercussions If he wants to be like, I'll tell you everything I saw.
Speaker 2: What would they do to Obama if he really well, that's that.
Speaker 7: I'm asking like there or maybe he's just respecting it. But there are some secrets he can't just say as far as aliens go.
Speaker 1: He's saying, if there are aliens that are secretly kept by the United States, then the conspiracy is so big that they're keeping the conspiracy also from the president of the United States of America. And it's whole bit about you know, the universe is expansive. I think he's right about that. I mean, I think this is just obvious stuff, like there has to be something else out there.
Speaker 2: We can't be the only creatures that are around here.
Speaker 1: Although I do find myself, like I was driving around this weekend, I was like, Jesus, Hey, the arguments for their being a god grow in front of me all the time, the arguments of like seeing that we just had a cold snap and a lot of the bushes and trees have been hit really hard, and then the weather that follows is wine to blow out all the dead shrubbery and leaves, followed by rain to wash the plants with some water and bring them back around again. And I'm just like, wow, you know, all of this is just perfect in so many ways. But maybe I don't know, Maybe it's just because the happenstance of us living here means all of that stuff worked out. I think he's probably right. I think there's probably other people out there. I don't know what they look like, but i'd like to see him.
Speaker 2: I know they look like people.
Speaker 4: I think we're going to be very disappointed because they'll be like, we found alien life forms, some tiny, single seldom mebas that do nothing. Yeah, or it could be something like there's a new movie coming out with Ryan Gosling, that real ugly dude in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Mister Gosling is in a in a movie coming out. I read the book of this, looked that up. What's the name of the movie again.
Speaker 2: I forgot but read them. No, it's not the Notebook Alien Edition.
Speaker 1: It's it's about Ryan Gosling being this space traveler and he goes way out into space to to do some stuff that'll.
Speaker 2: Leave for the movie.
Speaker 3: It's as a Star Wars Starfighter.
Speaker 16: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Hail Mary, Hail Mary Project Hail Mary is the name of the book. I read it probably a year or two ago, and Ryan Gosling is in this is coming out this year and he ends up encountering an alien while he's out in space. And you're thinking, oh, alien a person. Maybe their sizes are different, maybe they're taller or smaller, maybe they have a weird omond shaped head, who knows. But the alien in that story was some spider like creature that he had to learn to try to communicate with. And it makes you think about all that, like, if we did encounter aliens, now we have to bridge a communication gap with him. Oh, I hope so, I hope we get that. I hope we get that story in my lifetime. Please, it would be so interesting. All Right, we're gonna hear from you sending your dispatches, your emails, lots of people talking about ashes.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about ashes, we'll talk.
Speaker 1: About aliens, We'll talk about the updates in the Nancy Guthrie case. We'll talk about, of course, this hockey shit that went down in Rhode Island over the weekend with a shocking footage of that, and so much more. It's all coming up next than the news junkie. All Right, lots to get into as the show rolls on. I think Sea Lane said he ended up watching that docu series I was talking about. Yeah, what was the name of that against like Scream Murders something.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I'll look at up.
Speaker 1: Uh this it's called The Scream Murder, a true teen horror story which podcasts on Hulu.
Speaker 4: They they didn't see him as obsessed with Scream, the actual Scream franchise as they just did with horror in general. Like there was only one little part where you see in the background of the video that they're watching.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they had They did wear masks in the killing of this person, but I think they were trying to like make it stick this sounding at the time, so they called it the Scream Murder.
Speaker 4: It was very well done. I think, like the documentary, it's it's weird to say well written because it's about a true story, so they didn't write it. But it present them at it and presented in a great way and just crazy that they would put that stuff on video.
Speaker 1: The Falling Hole on YouTube says the Scream Murder was not great. I hard disagree. It's all about story and then footage in a case like this, and for this the Scream Murder series on Hulu, they had such unbelievable footage. They had, Like the guys who were responsible for this were taking their cameras around the school and most people weren't filming stuff like this, and they were filming people all around their school and they were filming themselves. And you know, I won't get into all of this stuff that they got into, but when you saw that video, like Seili said, when they end episode one and they go and we found.
Speaker 2: The video, yeah, sort of like a cliffhanger. Yeah, and you're like, whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, and then they start showing they start playing the video.
Speaker 2: And you're watching like, oh my god, what are these what are these guys up to?
Speaker 1: And then it brings in a really interesting argument in the final piece of the puzzle, which is like, if somebody is a teenager sixteen years old or so and they commit a crime like this, should the rest of their lives be tossed away? And they make a whole bunch of different arguments for, you know, for and against why that should be happening. But it's like kind of impossible sometimes for me to get pass all the terrible things that these people did. Like if you take somebody's life away from them, even if you're sixteen years old, I think you should suffer the consequences of that, you know, Like, and some of these people who have done this have been in jail for a very long time.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying if you're a sixteen year.
Speaker 1: Old and you get caught up in a story like this and you kill somebody, death penalty automatically.
Speaker 2: I'm not even into that stuff.
Speaker 1: But I do think you should serve a very significant, very significant amount of time. And we have far too lenient sentences in so many of these cases. So I mean, I guess what about their whole life is thrown away? Like okay, what about the person that they killed? Yeah, guess who else's life is all?
Speaker 2: You know? Yea, not thrown away, but it's not there.
Speaker 7: There was something that I found very interesting though, and I think I would assume that we could all attest to it that your mind does change significantly between the ages of sixteen and thirty six.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean they're.
Speaker 7: Saying that sixteen or you know, teenagers, especially folks like those two did not like their brain does not process what the consequences truly are, what killing is.
Speaker 2: I think you're going back to school.
Speaker 1: I think a sixteen year old, just the average sixteen year old, knows full well what killing somebody is. And these particular teams in the screen murder wanted to do it because it excited them, Like it literally excited them. It's the worst kind of horrific thing that you could do. And in that case, when you know what you're doing, you're depriving somebody else of life and their family members never get to see them again. When you come whining about it like woah afterwards, like oh, no, thirty years in prison or life in prison. I mean, it's just like, hey, you killed somebody. That's how it goes. I'm not going to feel bad.
Speaker 2: For you afterwards.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch Gallainne Maxwell just completely and utterly melting down in her prison cell, wandering around because she couldn't take the idleness of prison.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel bad because this is what you have to do.
Speaker 1: That when people do stuff like this, they have to face the consequences, even if they're sixteen years old, as they were in this case.
Speaker 2: But check it out. I think it was.
Speaker 4: It was pretty enjoyable speaking, which is interesting speaking of Julane Maxwell or Gallanan or however you say her name. I've been seeing a lot of posts and stuff about this Wasserman dude. I think it was Wasserman that he had the talent agency and a lot of the bands that started he is stepping down from the talent agency but.
Speaker 2: Selling the whole thing. He's selling his old agents.
Speaker 4: A lot of the bands that were represented by them were starting to like back off and and drop out. I thought I saw last week while we were finishing up the show, like Dispatch, one of the was one of the bands that said like, we're we're gonna part ways with this, you know, because we don't like the situation. And I read and I think it was this was the guy I read into and I saw the emails that he was uh uh, you know, sending back and forth with Glene Maxwell, and I was like, this sounds like he's flirting with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of people who are either aiming things directly at her as opposed to Epstein, or you know, like more like there's a lot of weird stuff in there.
Speaker 4: But but I go, you know, if if he didn't know anything else that was going on, maybe he did, you know, who knows what what the timeline was. But I was just like, here are the salacious emails he sent, And I was like, these have nothing to do with kids, unless I'm unless I'm reading the wrong thing here, but this is just you flirting with a really, really, extremely bad person.
Speaker 1: But it's like you said way back when, when it comes to this, at this point, it's so filthy, this story and so bad that anybody even attached to it.
Speaker 2: You can't explain your way out. Maybe you should be able to. I don't I'm not saying that you shouldn't. I think John Stewart's going to be Okay, John.
Speaker 1: Stewart was mentioning him, but like this, that one wasn't necessarily his fault. It was just a mention in passing kind of thing. But there is a growing list of people who have stepped down from their jobs as a result of being Those are the only people. Nobody've arrested, no charges, no nothing, with all this stuff going on and all of the claims that have been made over these Epstein files. But there are a handful of people who have lost their jobs in the last couple of days. So geez, how are they ever going to survive? Just very, very tough times for them. Okay, one other thing I wanted to get into real quick. Let's see, we don't have time for a couple of these. We have the next episode coming up in just a bit. I did see, and I wanted to address this because I think it's It's funny, even to this day, I see every company on social media in the food world trying to emulate the Wendy's account.
Speaker 2: They're really they all try to emulate the Wendy's voice.
Speaker 1: Denny's has been hard on this in the last couple of months in particular, Is it possible?
Speaker 2: And I mean would this would they even do this?
Speaker 4: Like say Denny's sees what Wendy's is doing and says, I want to emulate that. They could hire the same marketing firm and say give us the same thing you're doing with Wendy's. I mean, I guess so would they have any obligation to Wendy's to not do that because it would sort of kind of depends on what they're or down the whole idea.
Speaker 1: This post got two point five million views. This is Denny's trying to like channel that whole Wendy's vibe on social media. And Denny said on Valentine's Day, we love you, but do not bring your girl here today. Right, They're like really trying to get this sort of like this voice that Wendy's has. And as I see this, I'm going do the people who run these establishments not know what's going on at Wendy's. Like Wendy's is in freefall, Wendy's is cratering right now, and there's still companies like we should really try to emulate the voice that they use on social media. Well, I don't know if it's solely responsible for their failure. Although the timing line is up pretty nice, but.
Speaker 4: Having some viral tweets is not going to be the life raft for your business that you think it could be.
Speaker 1: Well, because they're falling apart, Wendy's added to announce on yesterday. Yesterday came out Wendy's is closing hundreds of restaurants this year, hundreds of restaurants and what their interim CEO, Can Cook calls a rebuilding year is his quote. And that's the thing that's still emulated by all these people. You can push the timeline and see that that hasn't worked. I don't think people really. I think people think it's funny on social media and people like how clever it is, but I don't think it works. I don't think it works. I don't think people to understand social media advertising enough to realize this. They're like, just because something gets attention doesn't mean it's gonna put asses in seats and bring people into Wendy's. Wendy's is cratering. They're falling apart, they're floundering, and Denny's is like we should be like them. Good good luck, good luck, man.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just think it's like you read some of their tweets and go, that's funny, I'm gonna follow them. It does It's not that's funny. I want to I want uh, I'm gonna you know, Dave's single or whatever, right, yeah, or Grand Slam of Denny's. You just most people don't react that way.
Speaker 1: But we have a we have confused attention with good marketing. Those two are not always one and the same. Sometimes you get a windfall of attention and it doesn't equal anything good for your business.
Speaker 2: So they're hiding themselves in the back.
Speaker 1: But now they're just absolutely floundering out there.
Speaker 4: What they should be trying to emulate is whatever happened with Popeye's and that damn chicken sandwich a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: But people were getting shot over that was wild. That got so wild that they wanted to Tampa down. They're like, there's too much excitement for our chicken sandwich right now.
Speaker 2: Literally people dying, all right?
Speaker 1: When we come back the next episode with Sabrina, what's coming up on the next ste episode, What's.
Speaker 7: Coming the next ad The Grim Reaper had a field day over the weekend and the FCC has released their review of the Super Bowl field. Shila Buff is taking Carpe and adding so much damn as well as a band from New Orleans Bars and an overnight in jail. Plus Ray J's on tour and his eyes are apparently on poor Blood Style. I'll van so much more coming up on the next episode, and that is coming up next. And the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: Shila Buff drunk in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Question mark, we'll fight out in the next episode here in just a bit. Also email the show tips at the news junky dot com, t I P s at thenewsjunkie dot com. We'll get to more of those if you want to be anonymous. Put that up on top. Whole second half of the show coming up for most of you momentarily right now.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. Let's do the next episode, because there's a lot on TV. You can't possibly keep up with all of it, even though you should, because what else are you gonna talk about? Yeah, baby, Yeah, we's nice. It's time for the next episode with Sabrina. Hey, hold up, the.
Speaker 7: Next episode brought to you buy that mortgage guy Don. That mortgage guy Don dot com. That's his website that's or yeah, start the process. So maybe changing your life, maybe buying your first stream home, de consolidation, refinancing home you own, starting a business, or expanding debt business. But the most important part is you're working with someone who's got your back, an expert and a friend that you can trust, and peace of mind is right there at that mortgage guy don dot com.
Speaker 12: Do miss the vooc.
Speaker 2: Mortgage guy don dot com.
Speaker 7: Thirty years ago, nineteen ninety six, World chess champion Gary Kasparov claimed victory on this day in his six game match against an IBM supercomputer named what twelve points Watson?
Speaker 3: No blue something, damn yes, I'll give you six points.
Speaker 2: Deep blue Watson was the Jeopardy one.
Speaker 7: He had won four games and tied one, and he'd lost their first game a week earlier. But the best thing to come out of this was this damn chest song that Seeline just sent to me.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Goes up, pongos, pongos down, tiny king, tiny crown.
Speaker 17: Bishops side queen that move aside chest chess oden see that.
Speaker 2: Coming chest chip chest Yeah, my little kink chick way that ship.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, yes, make a move quick blink once.
Speaker 2: That's the tricky chest chest chest chin all right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I hope it uh in your brains next time you play chess. Someone not playing chess anymore. Unfortunately, Robert duvall Oh passed away over the weekend ninety five years old. Films include The Godfather one and two, Apopcalypse, Now, Days of Thunder, Colors in the miniseries Lonesome Dove, and Now He's with all the Other Doves.
Speaker 3: In the Sky.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Days of Thunder is the one I remember him from.
Speaker 3: Sure, huge fan.
Speaker 2: Actually, Tom Cruise, you don't know that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I do know.
Speaker 7: Godfather wanted two about Calypse. Now Colors I'm not familiar with. He was in mash as well, Gone in sixty seconds, and I was just gone over a weekend.
Speaker 3: He rest in peace and joining him up in heaven. Songwriter Billy Steinberg, who died at the age of seventy five, damn familiar with him? No, no, be familiar with some of his works.
Speaker 7: His family said his lyrics often began as deeply personal reflections, transformed into anthems in which millions found themselves.
Speaker 3: Much like this song.
Speaker 7: Like a Virgin Yeah, he was one of the writers on that, as well as True Colors and Eternal Flame.
Speaker 2: Now, oh, he wrote a lot of hits, a big time.
Speaker 7: Celine Dion's Falling Into big part of that nineteen ninety six out.
Speaker 3: That one falling Into You just just.
Speaker 2: Just wasn't wasn't that the album though? That what songs were on it.
Speaker 3: It was like the album Okay, I don't have it in front of me.
Speaker 7: But you know, all right, the album and now let's go into more modern music and we finally have the results of Uh so you think you can file an FCC complain against bad Bunny.
Speaker 2: Trouble later, you've been a very bad bunny.
Speaker 7: Bad Bunny back to Puerto Rico with his bad self. The FCC investigated, they've released the review and drum roll please, they found nothing. Yeah, nothing that violated its rules pertaining to profanity and and all the several congressional Republicans that called for an FCC probe he'd done been probed and boom, nothing found.
Speaker 1: For a bunch of boomer is getting heated about this because I told you, like immediately there would have been clips like the clips would have been there.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 1: It was broadcast in front of over one hundred million people. There would been clips of people going here, he is cursing in Spanish and that's an FCC violation.
Speaker 3: Like they didn't think about it before.
Speaker 7: Come on, now, what we did see a big spike in is an increase the flight searches to Puerto Rico.
Speaker 3: Now a whopping two.
Speaker 7: Hundred and forty five percent in the day since the halftime show.
Speaker 3: Expensive defensive.
Speaker 2: What do you think for one of the nice San Juan resorts?
Speaker 1: It's real, like the flight's not that bad and it's a short flight, shortish flight for most people on the East coast, but there's a like you want to get a nice resort in San Juan, super safe place, it could be like six hundred bucks a night, five hundred bucks a night for a lot of the really nice spots.
Speaker 2: It sucks.
Speaker 7: Are you just a you know, we have a lot of wonderful Puerto Rican listeners. Do we could just stay at their family's houses, have an extra extra spot for us and since we're still yeah, it's still happening with my friends. The Olympics, Yeah, lots of drama with Canada.
Speaker 2: I did not see much Olympics at all there.
Speaker 3: Was a finger and Cursewortz. This is not what I speak of. I do want to speak of Dominic Paris, the lead singer.
Speaker 7: Of Italian a metal band Rise to Voltage, who put down the screaming and put on some skis and got himself some medals.
Speaker 1: What's a.
Speaker 2: Good for him?
Speaker 3: Alpine skiing men's downhill events in Italy? Thirty six year old.
Speaker 7: Nickname is King of Bornmeal and now he's king of the slopes.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of the band, but very exciting for him.
Speaker 1: You know, did you guys see do you guys see the clip this weekend of some dude? It was like an Israeli dude who was I think he was doing the bob sled And as the commentator was talking during the bob sled thing, he was the whole you know, the bob sled's twisting and turning through this whole track, and the whole time the commentators like, here are some comments he made about the genocide and Guzza and he said, this is the most The whole thing was about how the bob sled guy from israel I had like made comments about Gaza and I mean.
Speaker 2: The whole time I don't know the whole route.
Speaker 1: Twist and turns like he's an out zion Is he's a proud and I'm like, what the hell I thought this was the Olympics.
Speaker 2: What's happening here?
Speaker 3: Tell me about it?
Speaker 7: Because we're not qualified. I'm sorry to say it, but we are not qualified to be in the Olympics. But I'll be damned if we're not qualified.
Speaker 3: For Marti Gras.
Speaker 7: Baby, Yeah, I wish I could say the same for and maybe. I mean, there's a lot more to get into, and unfortunately I'm running out of time.
Speaker 3: But Shaia had himself a good time. It started out with he's out partying.
Speaker 7: And then headlines turned into he's terrorizing New Orleans during Marty Gross and the latest fresh off the press here at HQ, he punched a bar employee and was held down before being arrested and sent to jail in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: That not one of the pictures they have of him arrested, Like you could tell he's looking right at the person taking the pictures.
Speaker 3: Tell me that it's her role. Tell me that he's going to be in a new movie, and it's got all the character.
Speaker 2: I got a couple of is this tmz once censored.
Speaker 12: I hope.
Speaker 1: So he's on the streets. He's got a wacky hat on just by himself. Yeah, Shiowa Buff with like a toilet paper roll on his on his helmet or something.
Speaker 2: They're running on some.
Speaker 3: Lady's back, touching random people.
Speaker 1: He's got a beer in his hand. All right, so far away, all right? Yeah, this is kind of circling the crowd there.
Speaker 3: And then I believe I sent you the arrest footage.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The other one that I have says arrest hospital Shila La Buff taking the hospital following arrest in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: This is insane.
Speaker 12: Shia Buff is in the ambulance.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get mad and like crash out on me. That's it. Oh, there he is, there, he is. I have I have this. I don't know if this is going to help us ot all. I'm gonna mute it.
Speaker 1: But I guess this is him outside of one of the bars after he got kicked out and there was like some sort of fight. Shila Buff right there. Somebody's pushing him on the streets. No, it's not looking for anyone.
Speaker 7: Do the math, but I feel like there is a particular amount of years between him being chill and stuff like this happening. Yes, it's always outside bar he's by himself. He's louder than everyone else, according to witnesses. And he found himself in just one weekend, band barred and in handcuffs and I guess a little bit of hospital.
Speaker 2: Maybe he did have friends with him and then he just started going full shy and they were like, bah, God, what a mess.
Speaker 3: All right, And then I'll leave you with this because it's Marty Gras related. Please welcome. I didn't even know this is the thing. The Aussie Parade in New Orleans.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I was there a couple of years ago for the Chewbacca parade, right before a lot of parades.
Speaker 3: And now we've got the Aussie one.
Speaker 7: And I sent you the pictures in one Crazy Trains.
Speaker 2: They're all wearing the same Assi shirt.
Speaker 3: I bet it smells in the middle of that.
Speaker 4: That looks a lot more fun than that that festival that I accidentally went to in Key West one time. That was everybody was dressed with as earned hemingway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rage, that is cool.
Speaker 7: On the boob two, we have the Olympic Winter Games, the streaming premiere of the SpongeBob movie.
Speaker 3: Search for SquarePants, That's exciting.
Speaker 7: Star Search episode nine on Netflix, one hour special, John and Carolyn Love Beauty and Loss on ABC, and you can catch Caitlin Collins on Colbert. Follow your Dreams of Me on Instagram at Sabrina and Rebomas. Importantly they with me.
Speaker 2: Smoke weed every day.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sabrina when we come back. We'll get into your emails. Lots of you are reaching out to the show today. Also, I've got some updates and I know some people are like, well, I'm over this whole thing. What's happening with this Nancy Guthrie story. There's a whole bunch that has developed over the weekend, So in case you missed it, we'll get to that in this next hour. And Stephen Colbert is really mad and the whole thing kind of involves the show and I heart and a weird way. So we'll get into what's going on with that drama because that is coming up next. In the news Junkie, the Team Canada curling controversy is kind of crazy actually, and it's exploded into a bigger story. I have a mini rundown on this and I'll take a look at it here. But if you haven't been paying attention in the Milan Courtina Winter Olympics right now, there's been a huge controversy in both the men's and the women's curling world which I was thinking about that. I was like, why is that a sport where they separate the men and the women. It seems like you could have a pretty even playing field. But I thought I saw that they did have men and women on the same team. And do they have like a curling I don't know if they have mixed, but I know that the men's and women's That's where I'm getting this from. Both have had cheating controversy issues with curling in the Olympics. And here's the rundown. At the twenty twenty six Malon Courtina Winter Olympics. This sport of curling, traditionally known for its sportsmanship and precision, became the center of a heated controversy involving the Canadian men's and women's team.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Allegations of rule violations, specifically double touching the curling stone oh No, led to tense exchanges between athletes, official interventions, and widespread media attention.
Speaker 4: Okay, they have men's women's and mixed doubles, so they do okay. Interesting, they do have a mixed version of it. This happened on February thirteenth, was the beginning of this. During a men's round robin match between Canada and Sweden, Swedish curler Oscar Ericsson accused Canadian third Mark Kennedy of double touching the stone. That means when and curling when they slide that stone, Well, if you are trying to slow it down or move it in another direction, you can use the.
Speaker 2: Brush and stuff by it.
Speaker 1: And they're screaming you can't touch it, you cannot touch it, and the Canadians keep cheating and touching it, and they were planning on this. The Swedish team was like, I know the Canadians are cheaters. They're cheaters, so they've set up a.
Speaker 2: Camera to catch the Canadians cheating and they did.
Speaker 4: Isn't that camera already there? Like you think that this would be the easiest thing to catch somebody doing. Touching the stone again, like it's almost like a foul in bowling, you know, you step over that little line. There's cameras for that.
Speaker 1: Well, they have cameras, but they were aware of where the cameras were, and they were kind of hiding where they were double touching, and so the Swede said, let's set up a camera to catch them that they're not angling for and they caught them doing it. And when they called out the Canadians, this Canadian guy starts cursing. He starts cursing up a storm. He's like, I haven't done it. You can f off, and the World Curling Organization issued a verbal warning to Kennedy for inappropriate language during the incident. He got in trouble for that more than the cheating, which is hilarious. In a women's match against Switzerland, Canadians skip Rachel Homan was penalized for double touching a stone. The Canadians are cheaters. They're cheaters and Curling. The umpire removed the stone from play, a decision home and contests and saying I don't understand the call.
Speaker 2: I've never understood it. We've never done that.
Speaker 1: Curling clarified the rules on Sunday, saying during forward motion, touching the granite of the stone is not allowed. This will result in the stone being removed from play. But that's what they kept doing. They kept touching it like slowing it down trying to stop it. You cannot do that. And the Canadians have been cheating at this so much so that the other teams are aware of it and watching them.
Speaker 2: This is supposed to be a gentleman's game. It's curling, for God's sake.
Speaker 4: I mean, I get the reason to want to cheat, but I don't think I would feel as accomplished.
Speaker 3: You know, in the curling world.
Speaker 7: But I do love that, after all of these years, that there's finally some drama. And on top of that, like audio of this guy cursing on live television.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you the drama wasn't even just isolated to that, Sabrina. I was watching a little of the Inside speed skating last night, and this strategy appears to be this. In each race, you have like four or five people who line up and they got that little oval track inside and they speed skate and they're like, you know, cut real close in the corners, like looping around, and almost everyone I saw, one of the competitors would slip and trip and knock everybody else out, and then the last person standing would skate across on his own and would just finish all by themselves and scoot in for the wind. And I was like, I don't know if this is orchestrated or not, but almost all of these different events that I'm seeing happen with this indoor skating or speed skating, everybody falls except for one person, and then they just keep going around and then boom they get an easy win.
Speaker 7: Did you see the guy who got knocked right in the penis? No, yeah, ends off my penis, alpines whatever. It's very fast downhill, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 3: And the guy was doing.
Speaker 7: Great, took a curve and you could hear it audibly despite how far away that camera and microphone was, of him getting smacked so hard and growing. And then of course the anchors are like, if you're a man, you could feel it.
Speaker 3: I'm loving the Winter Olympics so far.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you that I watched a very nerdy video over the weekend of how they produce a lot of that Winter Olympics footage and stuff. Yeah, the announcers are in Stanford, Connecticut, what not the NBC Sports building they was watching on TV. They have, you know, you said, like the camera and microphones are so far away, they have so many microphones like everywhere around the place, but it's all sent back to Connecticut at the NBC Sports Building, like four thousand tracks of audio in real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I told you guys about the one.
Speaker 1: Where the Israeli Bob sleder went around, and the entire time the commentator.
Speaker 2: Was just like, uh, I'll give you some of this hands. Oh it's another language.
Speaker 1: They said, there's still one more Bob to see from Israeli Adam Eedelman.
Speaker 2: All right, this is this is not the American broadcast here, and they push off. They've got, you know, the Jewish star star David on the side of their Bob sled.
Speaker 1: He says he's a self defined Zionist to the core I quote who has posted several posts on social networks in favor of the genocide in Gaza.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean find you they're not doing good either. They're on the wall.
Speaker 1: The Bob sled is going around this entire time, and they're like, this is genocide is used by the UN Commission.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 1: The entire time that they were going on their Bob sled run, the commentator was just talking about the fact that this person was controversial in their statements about like Gaza and then they slid into the end. And so that was another thing that was getting some attention from the UH, from the news coverage and the Olympics coverage as well. Okay, the other thing I teased this before the break, but Stephen Colbert, who's on the way out. I don't know how many months the guy's left, but yeah, a couple of months left, handful of months left for Stephen Colbert on CBS. And then they said, look, the show's too expensive. We're just gonna have to sunset this. Mark my words, this is the beginning of the end for all of these late night guys. And then Steven Colbert came out last night and talked about how I guess CBS didn't want him to do an interview. There was a certain interview that he wanted to do, and they're like, CBS doesn't want us to do this anymore, and let me see if I can bring this up Colbert talking about this, because Colbert he kind of introduced who was going to be on the show, and he said, we also were supposed to have this person on the show, but we couldn't do it because our network told us not to.
Speaker 2: All right, I think, is this it? No, this isn't it. This is a different one here.
Speaker 4: The way he's wording it, it sounds like he did the interview and CBS wouldn't air it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, CBS refused to air my interview and then they posted it online.
Speaker 4: Is it here?
Speaker 2: He is talking about one of.
Speaker 12: My guests tonight. That's Texas State Representative James Tallerico, CBS County. He was supposed to.
Speaker 20: Be here, but we were told, in no uncertain terms by our network's lawyers.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this ties into iHeartRadio in just seconds directly that.
Speaker 12: We could not have him on the broadcast.
Speaker 20: Then then I was told in some uncertain terms that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on. And because my network clearly doesn't want us to talk about this, let's talk about this, okay.
Speaker 1: So Colbert comes out and he's like, they won't let me have this guy on the network said no, and everybody's booing the network, et.
Speaker 2: Cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Here's what's actually going on, all right, here's what's actually going on in this story. This James Tallerico, guy who Stephen Colbert wanted to have on his show is currently running for office. The FCC has been pushing the fair time regulations that they kind of have left alone for a while. But technically, if you have one political candidate for office on, you are supposed to offer up time an equal amount of time to anybody that they're running against, So you can't play favorites. And Stephen Colbert was told by CBS, hey, if you want to have this James Tallarico guy on, you have to open it up for his opponents who are running against him in this election. Now, I said that this brings iHeartMedia and I Radio into the equation. We literally just got the same message from the suits. They said, look, if you are going to be trying to interview anybody who's a politician, you have to offer time an equal amount of time to anybody that they're running up against.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: Now, this is not something that has happened on certainly any of these late night shows. They have like the same dozen or so people from the Democratic Party on over and over and over again. And if they want to do that, if somebody's running for office in particular, you have to have you have to invite on the other people who are running.
Speaker 4: This didn't come up before the latest presidential election though, with Saturday Night Live, because they had Kamala Harris on the show and she was like a surprise special guest and it was very much vote for me kind of deal there, and then NBC had to turn around and air a couple of Trump ads.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's like for free, yeah, because that's be the same. You have to do it at the same rate.
Speaker 17: Right.
Speaker 12: The change was.
Speaker 7: Late Night was not involved in that for the years prior, like it's been a longstanding fair I forget what it's called fair something, but late night and parody and I thought streaming whatever was not part until January.
Speaker 3: This past year.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, people are saying, why would comedy be attached to this because the late night shows it doesn't really matter that much. It's about if you're governed by the FCC, which is only stuff that goes over the airwaves like CBS, NBC those kind of things or radio stations, you cannot it's called equal time. And if you have somebody on from one party, like they have Democrats on, let's say, on The Colbert Show, you can do that. Steven Colbert absolutely could have done it, but he's lying to say he was. And unless CBS said we don't want you interviewing anybody political at all, he's lying because they would just say, hey, you can have this guy on, but you also have to have his opponent on, because that's how this works. And the FCC hasn't really done much about this, but the equal opportunities rule. Here's an inside industry piece on this. It says the fairness doctrine may be dead, but it's a regulatory cousin. The equal opportunities requirement remains alive on the books. This is from Inside Radio, and Federal Communications Commission is leaning on that rule as it issues a reminder that not all talk shows are exempt from its requirements. While the focus is on daytime television programs like The View and late night talk show, the equal opportunities requirement is the same for both radio and television stations, and it could ripple through both in the long term. The equal opportunities requirement comes into play in a campaign setting. Typically, it means that if a talk show has a guest on from one party, it gives the person from the other party the same opportunity to appear on the show as long as they meet the guidelines for a legally qualified candidate. News coverage is exempt, So if you're like NBC News or CBS News or whatever, and you report on somebody who happened to be a candidate, you don't have to offer that same thing up to the other side. But this is a comedy show, and they don't want people favoring one candidate over the other and people not getting fair access to these audiences. And now they're saying that they're pushing on this, and I'm telling you, we did get a message from the suits about this exact issue. I don't remember if it said don't interview any politicians, but I think it was pretty pretty clear in saying, if you do invite somebody on the show, got I know about it because we have to offer up opportunity to the people that they're running against, which is only for like I said, stuff that's on the public airways, cable news. You could do whatever you want. The Daily Show will not be told you have to bring on the opponents for whatever amount of time. Satellite radio won't be told. You know, here's who you have to have on what this is done. But if you are on traditional broadcast airwaves, this is a rule that impacts you. And honestly, it's probably a decent thing to have, Like otherwise, it's just like, oh, everybody who's who hosts these shows is on this side. So we're only going to hear one view on this, and we're going to give an extra push to this person that they are ideologically aligned with. But that's what's going on. I think Stephen Colbert is being a little dishonest.
Speaker 2: There. There are people saying that he talked about that part about the equal time.
Speaker 1: Let me give them a little more here because I stopped him. Let me see what else he says.
Speaker 12: You might have heard of this thing called the equal time rule.
Speaker 20: Okay, it's an old FCC rule that applies only to radio on broadcast television, not cable or streaming, that says, if a show has a candidate on during an election, they have to have all that candidate's opponents on as well.
Speaker 2: By the way, look and that's not it.
Speaker 1: You don't have to have all that candidate opponents that you have to offer equal time to whoever else it would be interested in doing it. This James Tallerico, guy, can you look him up Sea line. What's this guy running for?
Speaker 2: All right? What is he running for?
Speaker 1: Because that's the actual person that he wanted to have on. Why he was on or why they were trying to get him on, I don't really know.
Speaker 20: It's the FCC's most time honored rule, right after no nipples at the super Bowl. There's long been an exception for this rule, an exception for news interviews and talk show interviews with politicians.
Speaker 12: Now that's crucial.
Speaker 20: How else were voters supposed to know back in ninety two the Bill Clinton sucked at Saxophone.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm Felix on YouTube, says iHeartRadio. The last two elections ran nothing but Republican ads. I never once heard Kamala Harris or President Biden ads. They were all Trump ads and other Republicans running for office. We have to take those ads. See a lot of this is people just not understanding how it works. If the politicians come to us, we have to offer them. I think it's called like a fair market rate on political ads. And it depends on what state you're on what you heard. So if you're in Florida and Republicans were thinking, well, Florida is a very competitive state for US. They would throw a lot of their budget at it, and they would buy up a lot of ads.
Speaker 2: We can't overcharge them for those ads. We have to run those ads.
Speaker 1: We really can't turn down those ads unless there's something super specific about it that makes it so we can refuse to air it. And the Democrats had every right ever or any opposing candidates to run whatever ads they wanted against it. But they still have to pay for it. They have to pay a fair market rate. They still have to pay for it. Well, it's about where they're spending their money. They if you were in another state, you might add to the opposite happen.
Speaker 4: That's what I started to say about the SNL. Thing about the fair market rate is that I think because when they had Kamala Harris on one of the last episodes of SNL before the election, and she got her time, I think because they didn't charge her to go on there. They then had to run Trump ads for free, which.
Speaker 1: Yes, because they had to offer him up something similar and the rate which is nothing right right is running for US Senate for Texas, US Senate candidate for Texas, And I don't know why that person like popped up and Stephen Colbert wanted to interview him. I think he's going to argue like they haven't been enforcing this previously. But I mean, that's that's the target. That's how it works. It's on broadcasts. This affects us if it's just somebody, like if I wanted to have on, let's say Barack Obama right now, we could have Barack Obama on and there's nothing tied to it at all. But if you want to have somebody who's actively running for office, you can't just pick the candidate and then snub the other person so they don't get any attention at all.
Speaker 2: That's not how it works. Does that only apply to the candidate themselves?
Speaker 4: Or you know, you use Barack Obama as a as an example, if we had him on but he was only here to talk about James tallerco for Senate, Like at that point, are we having to offer that to the other side.
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Like if it's blatantly an appearance on behalf of the person but they're not actually there, I don't know if it's the same thing because you're still kind of giving time to that person. You're just you know, doing it through an intermediary, although you know as well as I do. That's incredibly common too, Like around election time, all the celebrities and stuff will come out and they'll go, hey, this person's available, this person's available, and then they come to speak about whatever candidate they're supporting. I'm not sure how that plays in. See if you can find out more about that.
Speaker 4: Well, the super worried about Brendan Carr right now just being, according to NBC News, particularly combative with networks that draw the iron ire of the president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I could tell you without a doubt, and you know that I'm telling the truth here.
Speaker 1: They are not alone. They have sent we have been sent these same warnings that if you interview somebody who is actively participating in election, you cannot just choose somebody or like I like this person. You have to offer it up to the other folks as well. Now you can decide whether you think that's fair or unfair. Hit us up with a dispatch over at the Newsjunkie dot com. But that's what's happening in this particular case. All right, quick break, when we come back, we'll get geared up for before too long. Here the updates, because there's a bunch of them. In the Nancy Guthrie case, i'll put that in jury duty and a shocking incident.
Speaker 2: Shocking. There was two of them.
Speaker 1: Really one was way more grizzly than the other. But a shocking incident on the dat Ton of Beach.
Speaker 2: Boardwalk this weekend. What happened?
Speaker 1: Wait till you hear the details on this that's coming up next in the news junk Kie. One thing that that I have seen a little bit of buzz about which is kind of interesting to discuss, is there's a an olympian who's allegedly going to be making like a million bucks for the tiniest thing that she did. All right, this, I think this is the one that's dating the Paul brother. Judah Leardam is her name.
Speaker 3: Was crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a speed skating star. I believe that's who it is. But this woman, she after her victory, right, Maybe this is a different lady. I don't know if this is the one he's dating, but Judah lear Edam, she is it his Fionceay Jake Paul's fiance. Judah lear Dam, she's out there and she was reacting to winning gold in the women's one thousand meters speed skating. Pretty impressive feet, but you know, you might get some money from your country.
Speaker 2: You might get a little bit of this, and that's some out of boys, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But she's going to make a million bucks according to these stories because of this. And after she won, she unzipped her Olympics uniform to reveal this like Nike sports brawl that she had underneath, and you could see the Nike logo, and they said just that she's expected to get a million dollars.
Speaker 3: For I will do the same if anyone's wondering.
Speaker 1: And that is pretty crazy to me. That's a lot, I mean a million dollars. Yeah, it says Jutta lear Dam's gold medal might not even be close to her biggest haul. During the twenty twenty six Winter Olympics in Milano, Cortina, the Dutch speed skating superstar could be raking in roughly one million dollars for simply unzipping the front of her uniform after the race, According to one advertising expert, Nike, whose sports bar abra was on display, celebrated her in the one hundred or the one thousand meters speed skating event, and they could be forking over big bucks to the blonde beauty. After winning the event last Monday, she unzipped her racing suit and showed up the white Nike undergarment as she cooled.
Speaker 2: Down after the tough race.
Speaker 1: So she finishes her speed skating, she unzips and she has and don't think it was like a lacey bra or something that's It's like a sports bra.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to say when she flashed it, it's not really, you know, flashing kind of implies something a little more sexual.
Speaker 2: It wasn't sexual at all, even in that moment.
Speaker 3: I what are the stats of people saying, Oh, I wonder what brother that is? I want to buy it?
Speaker 7: Versus Nike is going to be like, can you believe after winning a gold what was exposed our bra?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 1: I mean they said, look for Nike to have their brand on display.
Speaker 2: As somebody wins gold. As minor as this was.
Speaker 1: If I was watching this and paying attention, I wouldn't even have thought that this was a promotional sun at all. I just thought she was hot after exerting herself from the speed skating, and she unzipped the outfit and then had this like Nike sports bra underneath, and you can see the Nike logo and you could see partially where it says Nike, but.
Speaker 2: You don't even see the whole Nike logo. And she still get a million bucks.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, you really you at least in this maybe she pulled it open all the way at one point.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at a static photo and you can just see what it is that it's a Nike brand sports bra underneath her outfit.
Speaker 4: Much more than the thirty five, six hundred and seventy four dollars that Dutch Olympians get for winning a gold medal.
Speaker 2: How often is this happening?
Speaker 1: Like how many Olympic athletes go all right, well, when I do all I have to do is show my sunglasses, right, or like I unzip my shirt and show the undershirt that I'm wearing with the brand on it, or.
Speaker 7: Make sure that I'm drinking out of a particular water bottle, and that gets suree the sponsorship books anything.
Speaker 1: They can do to work that brand into it. It's like product placement that's going around the Olympics. And though the at least the rumor is she's getting a million dollars for doing that, which seems just crazy to me.
Speaker 2: All right, over to this story. I told you this was a wild one for sure.
Speaker 1: I'm going to bring this up from our partners over at Fox thirty five Orlando dot Com. There was a teen that survived an attack in Daytona Beach on the boardwalk and a lot of weird stuff happened in Daytona Beach as the big race, the NASCAR race was going on over there. One thing I got a bunch of attention. Talked about this in a bonus stream yesterday that the fine folks in Chat were able to unlock last week. And in the bonus stream we talked about how Jimmy Eat World performed and I believe Daytona Beach over the weekend in an Arby's. They were inside an Rby's location, and I'm not kidding you. There might have been fifty people or something in there.
Speaker 3: Is this like a go to venue or first time that Rby's had a music show?
Speaker 2: As far as I know, it's the first time they did it.
Speaker 1: But they go, look, we'll pay Jimmy Eat World to play inside this Arby's and we'll throw a little party here for some some fans, and then they record it and it becomes like a viral thing online. Again, the company's throwing money at all that viral attention and that that happened over the weekend, so you probably saw some clips of that. But this as team survives random random throat slashing attack on Daytona Beach boardwalk. I got to see if I can get you a photo of this poor kid.
Speaker 2: Sullivan.
Speaker 1: Clark thirteen, said he was visiting for the races when a man he didn't know walked up and cut his throat while he was walking with his parents.
Speaker 2: Sullivan said he only survived.
Speaker 1: Because he happened to look up at a boardwalk ride at the exact moment of the attack, which shifted his neck just enough to avoid a fatal wound.
Speaker 2: Whoa holy cow.
Speaker 1: The man accusing the attack, forty four year old Jermaine Long, was found nearby and is being held in jail without the option for bond. They're saying, so Florida man arrested after fisher say intentionally cut a teenager's neck. The Clark family was walking along Daytona Beach boardwalk back to their hotel at ten pm on Valentine's Day. They'd spent the day at the Daytona International speedwab. He was on his phone just feed away from his parents. Oh here's his neck. Jeezus, like Frankenstein, folks, like really amazing.
Speaker 2: This kid is alive.
Speaker 1: A slash from one side of his neck nearly to the other is all stitched up. For Sullivan Clark, the thirteen year old who did not know who this attacker was, who had no idea why he was being targeted. And they don't know any reason at all why this person would have been targeted. It was much more dire than a robbery, his father said. They realized how badly the son was hurt, and he could see deep into the wound. Doctors told the family if the blade had gone just one millimeter deeper, he would not have survived.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: He looked up at the slingshot ride at just this time, and it's the only reason he's there to tell his story. The suspect was located near the overpass and taken into custody, and he's been arrested for quite a few things.
Speaker 2: This Germaine long guy who did this unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if this guy's one of these people, I wouldn't be surprised who just has a long ass history of being arrested over and over and over and over and released over and over and over and over. I don't know if that's the case with him, but he seemingly attacked this person for no reason. And the forty four year old nearly killed this kid who did nothing. He was just existing walking along this pier in Daytona. Unbelievable. And I'll put a photo of what happened here because you got to see this over on see it now, so take a look at that. I would much rather have been at the Jimmy Eat World Show at the Arby's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, than this.
Speaker 1: This is not something that I would have wanted to take part in in any way at all.
Speaker 2: But to each their own.
Speaker 8: I sent that.
Speaker 4: Tweet about the Jimmy Eat World Show at the Arby's to my friend, who is a gigantic Jimmy Eat World fan, and I was like, Hey, you so cool to go?
Speaker 2: He was like, have you heard about that?
Speaker 4: Oh. Some of the comments I was the most sad about were people that were like, I'm in Daytona.
Speaker 2: I could have easily been at this Arby's what the hell?
Speaker 4: And friend was like, yeah, I hadn't heard about that. He WTF and then said, okay, now this makes more sense. He saw on their Instagram account the only real clue that anything might happen. Didn't say where, didn't say when, didn't say anything. There was just one post in their stories that had a Jimmy Eat World poster, but World was crossed out and Arby's was.
Speaker 2: Like or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's a smart gig.
Speaker 2: But yeah, nothing else.
Speaker 1: You don't even think they went like the fan club or anything on this.
Speaker 2: I mean, somebody had to be Why were there fifty people out an Arby's. They were all and they were all wearing Arby's shirts too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a lot of brand I always saw a very small clip of the actual performance, but there was a lot of branding all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a pretty interesting promotion and much better press. I think somebody says he's a repeat offender. I don't see that in the article that I'm looking at.
Speaker 16: But I do not.
Speaker 2: It would not surprise me.
Speaker 4: I mean I haven't seen his record, but one of his charges in addition to aggravated assault with the deadly weapon, which seems like it should have been attempted murder. I don't I don't see where you slid the throat, and you don't call that attempted murder. Sure, but one of the charges with failure to properly register as a sex offender. So there's definitely some sort of record there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's another one that says man lacerated child's neck and random Daytona beach.
Speaker 2: Attack five pm. Yeah, all right, so yeah this is this guy.
Speaker 1: Oh uh, the charge against Long represent his fifth felony case in Volusia County. And yeah, he's got he's got a long history here. So I mean, it's just that that kind of stuff is so frustrating. I've told you a million times on this show. It's the thing that everyone should know and everybody should start complaining about. Get the names of the judges who make these decisions. Hold the judges accountable, hold their feet to the fire, literally, if need be, Hold the prosecutors accountable. For all of this, we have the the majority, the majority of violent crimes in this country are done by the same people, over and over and over and over and over and over again. We can improve everybody's outcomes, everybody, every man, woman, and child. We can improve all of their outcomes by actually holding these people behind bars. It is for various social and political reasons that they tend to just re release, release, release, release, release, release these these people over and over again until they end up killing somebody. And it won't be until these folks are held accountable. It won't be until these folks know that you're watching this stuff that they change the way they do this, because generally they know nobody's watching this. Now here's what I want to do. I want to release this guy again, and then he goes out and slices somebody's throat.
Speaker 4: The aggravated assault case stem from January fourteenth, when a Lucia Sheriff's deputy who was doing patrols in the area observed along wielding an approximate eight foot long wooden pull attempting to strike people. Jeus, one of the alleged victims, told the responding police officer he approached them and accused them of harming his faith, noted long brandish a silver colored bladed weapon, describing it as a small kitchen knife in a court filing, dated February tenth, though an assistant state attorney wrote the prosecutors would no longer pursue the earlier chargers against Long, the filing does not provide a reason why.
Speaker 2: Right, See, this is what happens so often.
Speaker 1: It is these people who are doing this over and over and over and over and over again, and to lower the crime stats to show that they have arrested people of different backgrounds and ethnicities, and lower numbers to for a bunch of different reasons, political and social reasons, they continue to release these people over and over and over again. This should have never happened to this kid. It's a real shame, all right. When we come back jury Duty, and I'll give you all of those Nancy Guthrie updates, including something that I just don't believe, something about this investigation that I just don't believe.
Speaker 2: But I want to see what you think about it. That's coming up next in.
Speaker 1: The news, Junkie. Big updates in the Nancy Guthrie case coming up in Jury Duty. Let's get to a couple of your emails very quickly and see what's on your mind. Here, It got it, okay, Sorry, that's my fault. That is absolutely my fault. I'm going to take the lumps and wait a second here, folks again, We'll be moving into jury duty here momentarily.
Speaker 2: And I'm waiting for the dump to catch back up. Okay.
Speaker 1: Anonymous emails the show. Anonymous emails the show tips at the news Junkie dot com. In fact, it says right up on top as requested, leave me Anon please. So I'm sorry for saying this person's name right off the jump, but that's what the dump button's for.
Speaker 2: Leave me a non please.
Speaker 1: They say. I had a friend work that Jimmy Eat World event as a brand ambassador. The production crew was from Pennsylvania and they hired local brand reps for the day to hand out Arby's merch to the attendees. The show was for j R Motorsports driver for the race team, and Arby's is one of the sponsors. It was in conjunction with a promotion group called Arby's Boys. I've never heard this fun.
Speaker 2: The Arby's Boys.
Speaker 1: They mimicked the viral sensation of the pop up metal show at Denny's. It was influencers only. All influencers were non local eighty people. It was an invite only thing on private property, so it wasn't even any like no regular people got to be there. Oh, it's like behind the scenes anonymous photos of the of the assigned. They're legit this person's yeah, this is like this is the place.
Speaker 3: It was actual Arby's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But they said they were all influencers.
Speaker 1: There wasn't like any actual fans or nobody just like happened to be there.
Speaker 2: The whole thing was just up inside this Arby's.
Speaker 1: And I know it was in an actual arby subritta because one of the videos was a guy filming outside and it's like we got the meats and all the RB signs, and then he swings the door open. Then he walks inside the Arby's and he turns the corner and there's Jimmy World singing, you know whatever, what a praise chorus or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's definitely like one or two people that just wanted Arby's.
Speaker 2: Right, they're open late, right, unless they shut down. They might have shut down.
Speaker 3: Specific they shut down for this one employee. It was still just slinging the meats.
Speaker 2: They probably did.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get to the updates in the Nancy Guthrie case, including some breaking news in this and to do that, let's jump headfirst in.
Speaker 2: Let's do jerry duty.
Speaker 14: Court is now in session, so put your phone down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to whip your ass.
Speaker 2: You're knowing jury duty with the News Junkie.
Speaker 1: Jury Duty brought to you by the one the only Mo DeWitt of the DeWitt Law Firm. Injured on the go just Calmo eight hundred Calmo eight hundred Calmo or go to just calmo dot com after an accident. There's lots of attorneys trying to get your attention. I want you to do the smart thing. Just pick up the phone eight hundred Calmo eight hundred Calmo or going to just Callmo dot com. Here's a round up at the updates in the Savannah Guthrie Nancy Guthrie case. This coming in from Fox News. Matt Finn says, I just asked Sheriff Nanos. That's that like a po dunk sheriff in this case, the Keystone cop guy. I just asked Sheriff Nanos if DNA helped clear the Guthrie family from being suspects.
Speaker 2: He says, I'm not going there.
Speaker 1: The Guthrie family are victims and I will not stand quiet while they are revictimized. It's not just my duty, says the sheriff. It's every cops duty to stand up and be the voice for victims. So this was kind of an unusual thing that was done this weekend. Let me see if I can bring up the statement from the sheriff. The sheriff posted this, This is not something that happens a lot before they got anybody in custody. A statement from the sheriff, Chris Nanos on the Nancy Guthrie investigation.
Speaker 2: To be clear, the sheriff says.
Speaker 1: The Guthrie family, to include all siblings and spouses, has been cleared as possible suspects in this case. The family has been nothing but cooperative and gracious and are victims in this case. To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel. The Guthree family are victims, plain and simple. Please, I'm begging you, the media to honor your profession and report with some sense of compassion and professionalism. So they don't have anybody in custody, they haven't arrested anybody. They're not even hot on anybody's tale as far as I can tell, and they are saying all of the gu three family to include all siblings in their spouses, have been cleared as possible suspects in this case.
Speaker 3: Now, did you see the new suspect according to the internet.
Speaker 2: I did not know the neighbor. Oh really there? Okay, no reason for this.
Speaker 3: Yes, because he was I am just.
Speaker 7: Reiterating what was I saw it, necessarily believe it. But this guy was like immediately going up to the news like, this is who I think it is. I think it's the brother in law. I had a premonition, blah blah blah. And now they started to do the slew thing and they were doing comparisons of the ring and the glove in that particular.
Speaker 3: Video, and then the mouth and the eyes and those started to match.
Speaker 7: And everyone's like, why aren't you talking to the neighbor who had a premonition day two that it was the brother in law who has been cleared.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, I hesitate to give any support to these online sluice who just dig up people and you know, really just go after them. And they probably had nothing to do with it, but it seems like they're doing more than the sheriff is the sheriff doesn't seem like he's doing a whole lot. So there's other stuff too. There's something that I don't believe is real that I want to talk about when we come back. And then I got the latest clip that Nancy Guthrie has released. To see what I'm sorry, Savannah Guthrie rather has released about her mother's disappearance.
Speaker 2: That would be news if Nancy was at least in the clip, that would be the one everybody's waiting for.
Speaker 1: But we'll get into those two finalize the updates on that front, and it's coming up next on the News Junkie.
Speaker 2: The Nancy Guthrie case.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are like and because we haven't had any movement because we've got this local yokel sheriff who is fighting with the Feds. The sheriff has bad blood with the Feds, doesn't want to work with them that much. The Feds are doing some pretty amazing things, like they got that footage from Google and that has been a pretty big breakthrough in the case. And there are some other updates and I'm going to hit you up on all of those in a second. But the thing that I'm sort of a truther on and Seelan, give me your vibes on this one. I'm interested to see just on the tech side, what you think, because the story over the weekend was that they were flying around over the desert in Tucson and over all of these neighborhoods where they think Nancy Guthrie, the eighty four year old mother of Savannah Guthrie, might be, and that they were using some sort of detection device that they thought could could detect her pacemaker, and like, what are the stories said?
Speaker 2: Hang on, let me bring up a story on this. Nancy Guthrie.
Speaker 1: Investigators they deploy advanced Bluetooth signal detector in an effort to find her face signal sniffer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a Bluetooth signal sniffer. Now, I don't believe we have the ability to do this. I don't.
Speaker 1: Somebody does, I don't. I don't believe that law enforcement has the ability to do this. Everybody who uses Bluetooth knows just how limited this is outside of your body. Keep in mind how limited the ranges on Bluetooth. If you have your phone hooked up to your car and you're playing music and you have to go inside the gas station. It's gonna cut off. You're not gonna You're not able to get that far away. Bluetooth does not work over a long distance. It just doesn't work that way. And then if Bluetooth is on a pacemaker inside an eighty four year old woman's body, I seriously doubt you can fly over in a chopper with just like some detector and try to see if you can detect where this lady is with her pacemaker. I don't think they can do that. I don't think they have the ability to do that.
Speaker 2: Seems they tried.
Speaker 4: They say the helicopter has to fly really low, which that makes sense, although I don't know why they didn't. I guess it doesn't make as much sense to do it with a drone, even though it would be easier. You would just have to keep landing, switching batteries, landing switching batteries.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But it says the signal sniffer uses an amplifier, Well, it would have to. You would have to.
Speaker 4: You can't amplify her bluetooth signal because you don't know where she is, so you would have to at least have some sort of you know, bin Ford thirty eight hundred bluetooth sniffer, you know, with more power and like pointed around everywhere. It did say they're trying to identify the unique MAC address of her pacemaker. So it sounds like they do have the information about the specific device they're looking for.
Speaker 2: But that's they're looking for only that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's useful if they have the exact device ID for her for her pacemaker. But I just don't think that the FBI has something that would work well enough. So you just fly over a city and then if the if you at some point flew over the bluetooth pacemaker, that it would detect it.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, how low they not low enough?
Speaker 3: If her heart wasn't beating anymore.
Speaker 4: So the pacemaker does work for a little bit longer, I think. No, I get that, it's a very valid question.
Speaker 2: How long? How does it notice stop after it?
Speaker 1: Just like it is based on your heart rhythms, and it's like if heart not beating anymore, stop working.
Speaker 4: Let's see cardiac pacemakers and in general, pacemakers do not keep dying patients alive, as terminal events are often due to sceptics hemorrhage.
Speaker 2: No, I want to know how it.
Speaker 4: Can continue sending electrical signals even after death. They're not designed to recognize when someone dies.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it won't give out like a flatline signal to everybody else.
Speaker 2: But I just don't buy it.
Speaker 1: I don't buy that they have the ability to zoom over the neighborhood and detect somebody's pacemaker with some sort of Bluetooth supertech.
Speaker 2: I just don't think that's the case.
Speaker 1: If I'm wrong about that, and you're a Bluetooth expert, correct me, set me straight on That's at thenewsyunkie dot com. Another video coming from Savannah Guthrie about her mother.
Speaker 2: Let's see what she said. I wanted to come on and it's like three weeks in.
Speaker 21: It's been two weeks since our mom was taken.
Speaker 2: Where did the third week?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: You guys think she'll ever go back to work at the Today Show a.
Speaker 3: Time for the exclusive interview like this.
Speaker 1: Is such a game changer in her life, Like this has really upended a person's life as much as you could.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know if she ever ends up going back to that show or if this is a wrap for her. I still hope she gets the best outcome possible. I hope they find her mom and she's fine and the family gets what they're looking for. In this case, it's just now, it's we're going into three weeks.
Speaker 21: I just wanted to come on and say that poor thing, we still have hope, and we still believe. And I wanted to say.
Speaker 3: To whoever.
Speaker 21: Has her or knows where.
Speaker 1: She is, that.
Speaker 3: It's never too late, never too late interesting, and you're not lost.
Speaker 2: Or alone twenty seconds ham.
Speaker 3: And it is never too late to do the right thing, and we are here.
Speaker 2: It's also weird.
Speaker 21: We believe, and we believe in the essential goodness of every human being.
Speaker 2: All Right, there she is, and it's never too late. It's never too late. As to message. The latest one from Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 1: The other tidbits in this case that I was talking of out the latest from the Sheriff's department about suspect clothing. The sheriff can confirm the clothing scene in the video may have been purchased from Walmart.
Speaker 4: But it's not exclusively available at Walmart. Wh can you confirm something may have happened? You confirmed something did happen. You don't confirm something might happen.
Speaker 2: They can confirm that there's a possible.
Speaker 4: Can confirm that I may go home and have mimosas after the show. I may, you know, I may, I may choose something different?
Speaker 2: Can I calci that one? Can I than I think that mimosas might happen.
Speaker 1: This remains a possibility only the investigations ongoing, and information may change as new details developed. And they were talking about DNA evidence. They said the directed to those two the FBI, and let's see what else we have. Sheriff Chris Nandos of Pima County or is don't tell. CBS news investigator searching for Nancy Guthrie believe the clothing and face mask warm by the suspect were purchased at Walmart. This is CBS saying this. It's unclear whether they're about on line or in store. Walmart has responded by providing, I believe security footage of all the purchases that were related to this. That's good, so we'll see if anything else happens then this is Sheriff Nanos responds about local Phoenix News report that says, through an inside source, investigators believe the Guthrie case was a burglary gone bad and that Nancy Guthrie is still alive. The sheriff says that did not come from us, no idea, and even though it's one of many possibilities, we would never speculate.
Speaker 2: Such a thing. It kind of just did. Though.
Speaker 1: We will let the evidence take us to motive, says the sheriff. In this sloth like speed they have going on on the gloves front, the FBI saying the gloves found approximately two miles from the Guthrie residence in a field near the side of the road, were packaged and sent for testing. They arrived at the private lab about four days ago.
Speaker 2: This one was weird.
Speaker 4: This was a weird back and forth because they sent the glove to Florida for testing.
Speaker 1: That's where there Sheriff's office usually sends stuff, right, But.
Speaker 4: It says under federal law, the FBI cannot use the CODIS system unless the item in question is tested in the state where it was found, in this case Arizona. And so this is as TMZ reported like about an hour ago. And they said so they had they tested in Florida, but since they couldn't use the CODA system, they had to send it back to Arizona Jesus to get tested there. As for why the PM account of sheriff decided to send the glove to Florida in the first place, knowing the glove would have to be retested in Arizona, they said, our sources.
Speaker 2: Have no idea.
Speaker 4: And then about thirty ish minutes later they made the announcement that there was no DNA hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after getting all excited and saying they were running this against the DNA database. No hit, no nothing, and that lead seems to be sort of dried up. A couple other things, FBI agents, according to Brian Enton from News Nation, FBI agents have been to several gun stores in Tucson, Arizona, with a list of about forty p people in their photos. They're looking to see if any of them were in the store or purchased a weapon. And they've been recording the back Here's the backside of Nancy Guthrie's.
Speaker 2: House that shows you an angle.
Speaker 4: There are those signs of forced entry. Has there been any guess on what kind of gun that was? Or was there not enough to see?
Speaker 1: I could only see like the whole thing that it was in so attached or near the garage.
Speaker 14: Now from our wide unofficial view, we can't see any signs of smashed glass.
Speaker 12: Yeah, noticeable signs of forced entry.
Speaker 1: No broken doors, no smashed glass, none of this when they look at the backside of the house. TMZ is still getting these letters and still doing the Harvey Levin thing where he's like, now, I'm going to speak directly to whoever's sending these notes to us.
Speaker 2: And this is the fourth note.
Speaker 15: It is.
Speaker 2: It's just gross. It's just super gross what they're doing.
Speaker 1: But like they're acting like they're taking this so seriously and all they have to pay is fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Pay it if you.
Speaker 1: Think this guy's onto something, but you don't. Don't you just want to try to drum up more attention.
Speaker 8: It is Monday morning. We have received a fourth letter from the same person who says that he knows where Nancy Gotthrie is and he wants in return for the information.
Speaker 2: Essentially, he wants the reward. So I have something to.
Speaker 8: Say to you, not to me, And I've already talked to the FBI about this that if you are not real, you're committing a crime and you should know that, and this is a crime if you are real. This is the fourth letter you've sent, and I should tell everybody that. In this letter it says I know what I saw five days ago south of the border. It's an email and I was told to shut up.
Speaker 9: So I know who he is.
Speaker 8: And that was definitely Lee Nancy with them. This is the second time he has referred to more than one person involved in this.
Speaker 1: It's so weird that they've been stretching this out on TMZ clearly just like a mentally ill, disconnected storyline, and they're like, well, you know, here we go, not willing to pay the money themselves. In fact, TMZ was like, we'll we'll connect you to the FBI so you can get the reward money, and then other stuff popping up, like a Milwaukee attorney has offered one hundred thousand dollars reward I guess for finding this woman. Really no huge concrete breakthroughs at all on this case, and that's where that's where it stays right now. So we'll keep an eye on this and see if anything else goes down. But now you have the information that gets you all caught up on that front. A lot of other twists and turns out there so we're going to get to them. When we come back, we'll talk to a brand new way to relax that I don't think I can get behind.
Speaker 2: But maybe you can. We'll see how this lands with you, the audience.
Speaker 1: Let's see how this lands with you and what you want to do that's coming up next in the news junk kie, I see a lot of people are sending me, in particular on account of being in the newsworld. Here this video two point six million views of a news anchor going viral, and it's like, man, things are changing. Things are changing in the news anchor world. It used to be that you wouldn't be somebody with tattoos on you. It used to be that you couldn't be somebody with like a bunch of piercings. This particular news anchor, she's tatted up. She's like she's rocking a sleeveless outfit showcase.
Speaker 3: The A line bangs, she.
Speaker 1: Has a nose piercing, she has a septum nose piercing, and she looks like a goth.
Speaker 2: But she's a news anchor at this station.
Speaker 1: And the idea is like, oh, are they opening up the world of these media jobs with people who are a bit different, so they can try to capture younger audiences or just different audiences.
Speaker 2: And that's what you have with this woman. This is a smaller market, I believe, but here she is treating the SAT News.
Speaker 11: Defense contractor Lockie Martin is planning to quadruple its annual production of high altitude missile interceptors following an agreement with the Department of War.
Speaker 12: The agreement sees the person.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just it's totally normal, except the person delivering the news doesn't look like you would expect, isn't wearing the same outfits like you know, all the news anchors tend to wear like the same sort of stuff and the same like colors because certain colors kind of pop on this green or whatever. And this woman just stands out because it's a little bit different doing a story about Lockheed Martin with a nose ring and a bunch of tattoos. And no, I thought for a while, it was like, I think the stigma of tattoos is kind of gone with this generation, but there are still certain avenues of professional life. They say, where this woman works, Uh, that's a good question, Alabama.
Speaker 2: It says they got goth chick News in Alabama.
Speaker 4: Now we hear like stories from Amy Kawfelt all the time that, like, you know, if she wears something too low cut or something, there's you know, old those sending in emails that was you know, uh, you shouldn't be wearing that on TV. This is a family blah blah blah blah blah. I would think that there would be probably some small yeah.
Speaker 7: The older, especially now that it's going viral, people that I have never even heard of the station will be emailing to complain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't see what station she's on.
Speaker 1: I was trying to see if any of these things mentioned what station it was directly, but yeah, the post says they got goth chick news in Alabama. Now two point six million views.
Speaker 2: Of this woman. It is kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: It's visually interesting that it looks different than what you would expect in these circumstances.
Speaker 2: Maybe that would get you to watch.
Speaker 1: Let us know, send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com. All right, here's the new This is from the Wall Street Journal, and tell me if you would give this a shot. The Wall Street Journals says, welcome to the rise of a new type of vacation. You don't worry about what the view looks like. You don't go on hikes, You're not doing any sort of like sporting activity based stuff. People are now taking sleepcations, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 2: Out today. Yeah it does sound low cost.
Speaker 1: It says, no views, no hikes, just z's welcome to the sleepcation. Tired of being tired, travelers are booking rem fueled trips.
Speaker 2: The best sleep of my life, it says, is there going somewhere to sleep? I hope not. Hang on, Let me bust down the paywall.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, Wall Street Journal stronger, stronger than your competitors paywall front, it says. Caitlin Rossotti's latest Gateway or Getaway featured none of her usual hallmarks of adventure. There were no pre dawn hikes or multi city tours. Her itinerary involved one activity only sleep. She slept for three nights on the first sorry, she slept for sixteen hours on the first night of her stay at a local hotel in Saratoga Springs, and that's where she went, just to sleep the entire time.
Speaker 2: She wanted to get away.
Speaker 3: Stuff to make you sleep here, any pills.
Speaker 2: Or anything, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this is just people getting away solely to catch up on sleep not and and somebody in chat was like, I kind of do that on a vacation, which I totally get in respect. If you go on a vacation and you say I'm not waking up early any of these days, Like I'm going to sleep in as much as I can, I'm gonna go nap, I'm gonna go relax in my hotel room on some days. Maybe some nights I'll just stay in, but you're at least still doing something. The whole idea behind this is that you're not doing anything.
Speaker 2: You are just you're sleeping, sleeping in. Sleeping in is fine, but yeah.
Speaker 4: There was one time where we were on vacation and Ashley wanted to take a nap and I was like, we don't have a lot of time here. I want to go do stuff. And I almost like left her to nap and was like, I'm I'm going somewhere. We were in New York City. I was like, there's so much cool stuff if we could be doing right now, and you want to nap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sometimes that comes over.
Speaker 1: You, but a lot of people a lot of people are into that, it says. The Hilton twenty twenty four trans report found that the number one reason people want to travel as of twenty twenty four is to rest and recharge.
Speaker 2: So hotels are leaning into this.
Speaker 1: They're ditching noisy lobby bars and focusing on high tech mattresses. Some of the rooms cost one thousand dollars a night, just so just to sleep.
Speaker 2: That's it. You go there, you sleep, you get all charged up sleep. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's what people are into. Would you use your vacation that way? Let us know, send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 4: Imagine if when we were in Jamaica and we're all partying, having a good time, and I was like, guys, uh.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take like a little power nappy two o'clock nappy. I don't know. It sounds like a wasist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're the type that can keep going. Some people me can't.
Speaker 2: You could do both. You could do naps and something.
Speaker 1: You could also do something fun with your vacation, like you should have something.
Speaker 2: I would think it's not fun.
Speaker 7: Is me looking like a zombie because all I want to do is take a thirty minute power Now.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you know how many times I've heard and I've actually been in this position too. You guys have probably been in this position at least once or twice. Have you ever seen somebod that you hadn't met in a while, you hadn't caught up with in a while, and.
Speaker 2: They're like, hey, what's going on? And you go, hey, hey, how you doing? They go good, good, what have you been up to? And You're like, I've been.
Speaker 3: Insert same line that I tell every line, you know.
Speaker 2: Just keeping it together, just trying to think of what to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll always be like, oh, you know, just try not to get into much trouble.
Speaker 4: I see, I have an easy, baked in answer because of the baby, keeping a baby alive.
Speaker 1: That one works more so than a lot of the other ones. Another story I wanted to bring up because this was crazy to me. A story out of the New York Times talks about how Australians are now being pushed to the black market. And this isn't me saying this, for this is this is the New York Times saying this. The New York Times is reporting that cigarettes in Australia costs forty dollars a pack Australia or USD fifty five Australian or forty US dollars a pack. Now in New York City you can spend upwards. I've heard of twenty dollars on a pack of cigarettes in New York City. But New York City's twenty dollars ain't got nothing on forty dollars for it. Don't by the way, don't be bumming cigarettes off of anybody for forty dollars when they're forty dollars a pack.
Speaker 2: That's crazy to me.
Speaker 7: Are they very strict about what you're bringing in your luggage? Like could I go there with a cart?
Speaker 2: Well that they're in life from that issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's usually because people are who are just regular ass people are going in for black market cigarettes. Here's the story how forty dollars a pack cigarettes pushed Australians to the black market. Tax sikes have made cigarettes in Australia the most expensive in the world.
Speaker 2: Do U oh say, so it's it's the taxes that are doing it.
Speaker 5: I know that.
Speaker 4: I don't know if the Australians have access to this, but I guess this might count as black market because you're circumventing taxes. I had a friend that dabbled in I don't know how much he did it, ordering cigarettes from like Europe, and he got a cart and delivered to him. They were technically, I think, illegal to have because they didn't have tax stamps on him.
Speaker 1: I think this is what's happening with the New York Times saying that normal ass people are going to the black market because they've taxed cigarettes so much that they're forty dollars a pack. Somebody says, how much US forty dollars forty dollars US.
Speaker 2: Here's the New York Times.
Speaker 1: A retired math teacher descended into an underground parking lot in search of her dealer cash in hand, headlights dramatic from the far end of the garage in a beachside, middle class neighborhood in Melbourne, Australia. She walked up to an unmarked van and soon was back above ground with the illicit goods a carton of cigarettes. Australia has the most expensive cigarettes in the world, a pack of mid market cigarettes costing about forty dollars US, nearly double what it costs in New York City. A series of steep tax sights eight and ten years were put in place to reduce the rate of smoking, which is steadily declined. But there are people who are still smoking and now they're taking to like getting it from illicit sources because so expensive.
Speaker 2: They said, it's the injustice of the situation.
Speaker 1: Oh god, she's seventy five, five years old, said the retired teacher Pat Felvis, seventy five, who recounted in an interview her early experiences of buying illegal cigarettes. Illegal cigarettes cost about ten dollars a pack Australian and the ones that you buy else are fifty five dollars Australian, are forty dollars US bootlegs center what are readily available on every main street in Australia.
Speaker 4: What are these bootleggers paying for him? If ten dollars is still netting them a profit on the forty dollars cigarettes.
Speaker 3: Probably they're getting them themselves.
Speaker 1: They might be getting it from China or somewhere else and they're just selling them. They said they saw them at convenience stores and all these other places, and the black market has just absolutely exploded into a crisis there. They said, it's a pseudo prohibition because they've outpriced a lot of these people and they had to pay about fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: Forty or fifty bucks. That's so crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, cigarettes were in the last twenty years two or three dollars a pack in the last twenty years, doubt, and now we're talking forty dollars a pack for those.
Speaker 3: And that's ten eleven now in Florida.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I mean, asked if it was forty dollars a pack. You think that's what they're doing it for. People are gonna quit it's forty dollars a pack.
Speaker 7: It's just sood like those making those decisions don't understand what it is to quit cigarettes. And it's not like, oh I can't afford I guess I'm just gonna not do it that there's still an addiction to it until.
Speaker 3: People will pay.
Speaker 2: If they're putting the tax on Zen.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they're putting the tax on like Zen or just cigarettes, because just go over to Zen, for God's sake, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to get your nicotine.
Speaker 2: That way, you might be all right?
Speaker 1: All right, quick break when we come back final dispatches. Stories that didn't make the cut Antonay, I learn to wrap everything up for a share the show.
Speaker 2: Tuesday that is coming up next. I'm going to use junk key.
Speaker 1: Let's see everything, final dispatches, stories that didn't make the cut. All that stuff is included here at the end of the show, so let's work some in.
Speaker 2: In fact, well, I've.
Speaker 1: Been a little bad in the last couple of days about playing the final dispatches, so.
Speaker 2: Let's work those in first.
Speaker 1: There we go dispatches, but Sean will probably only taped true.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see what we got.
Speaker 1: You sent in your comments to the show, video and audio dispatches. Let's tune into them and see what you have on your mind. Here is Nathan with a shout out, yo.
Speaker 7: What is up?
Speaker 2: This is just a quick news junkie check in.
Speaker 15: I just want to tell you guys, I love y'all man greatest thing on the radio, literally all I listened to on the radio anymore.
Speaker 2: I got no time for the foolishness.
Speaker 15: It's a news junkie or bust true Sean, Elane Sabrina absolutely love you guys. Keep doing an amazing work and I'll see you again tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Peace out. Wiggle Wiggle pop positic.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nathan and even said amazing work instead of what everybody else is taken saying keep up the work. Yeah, and it's like he said, amazing, So thank you. Here's not a hippie talking about Nancy Guthrie.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm just gonna throw this out there, just like everything else. Maybe Nancy Guthrie was a part of Nightmovers. It's a term called yahatsu in Japan, and they also have it in America for evaporator to disappearance where twinter flour service you just want to pick up and move and literally disappear without a trace.
Speaker 2: Really, you can leave your.
Speaker 5: Family behind, you can leave everything behind, You get a whole new identity, kind of like witness protection. But this is where they literally drop you off somewhere and start a whole new life. I don't know, but I won't put it past it, just saying hippie out all right, thank you for.
Speaker 2: The vacuum salesman from breaking bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the person will disappear, you get you like a new passport and stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the case here.
Speaker 7: I don't I don't think they would try to do that with a kayaking accident.
Speaker 1: Right, he did end up facing the noise on that one and he had to come back and now he's going to spend.
Speaker 2: Some time behind bars. You're not allowed to do that.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, here's somebody else making money with some mailbox money from that Florida Treasure Hunt thing.
Speaker 12: What up, news Junkie?
Speaker 2: Did you go here?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: Just want to thank you guys real quick.
Speaker 1: I went to the Florida Treasure Hunt dot gov and they had twenty four cents waiting for me.
Speaker 7: Nice.
Speaker 2: There you go. That was a good recommendation of that. I do believe this guy. Send it cut over tips at the Newsjunkie dot com box and you might be able to afford some Australian cigarettes. That's so brutal, man, I can't imagine smoking it. So, dude, let's do the math on this. What did I say? Forty dollars a pack? Yeah? Two bucks a cigarette too? Oh my god? What's that?
Speaker 1: Let's say you're a pack a day forty times thirty twelve hundred dollars a month?
Speaker 2: Am I doing that right?
Speaker 7: So much? And then you want to go out and socialize and you absolutely have someone coming up saying I just quit.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, can I just get one, no for five dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too much, is that right? Twelve hundred dollars a month? I think so?
Speaker 1: Yah, forty times thirty that's what it is in my head. But that's crazy. I mean, that's that's just so much money. I can't imagine doing that.
Speaker 4: There's nobody on the texting service evil, I says, A carton of my cigarettes is thirty six bucks.
Speaker 2: That's a whole carton. Ten they're not that che No is carton ten packs or twenty packs?
Speaker 17: Is?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Okay, ten packs in a cart and I.
Speaker 3: Think they're like eighty two hundred dollars now.
Speaker 2: Eight Oh really, Marlboro Light.
Speaker 1: It's that's so expensive, I mean, but still it's so much cheaper here than it is over like in Australia. I don't see how like only rich people can smoke.
Speaker 3: They must be rolling their cigarettes.
Speaker 7: There must be something else, like an agricultural loophole, because there's no way statistically there are a bunch of smokers though in Australia.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh quit really stupid question. Rolled cigarettes? When you get the tobacco and roll your own cigarettes, doe, those they're preloaded with nicotine.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, why are you saying it like that? I mean, there's totino says the nicotine in it. No, Nicotine's an additive that's added to the battle.
Speaker 3: Taking a sack of like cigarette tobacco that has it all.
Speaker 1: It's like the guts of these I don't know that they can do. I thought nicotine was extracted from tobacco. Well fact check before were they used to They used to chew it the tobacco, right, I thought that they added it in. I thought that they added in the nicotine, and that's why they can put it into like vape and stuff, and they can put in the zins and all that.
Speaker 7: Non zena negatine is not as bad for you as tobacco and the carcinogens that are added to.
Speaker 2: Your Yeah, that's definitely true.
Speaker 3: But I believe when you get a sack of like tobacco two roll, that it has it all in that.
Speaker 4: Nicotine is a natural stimulate alkaloid produced primarily in the roots of the tobacco plant and transported to its leaves. While highest in tobacco, it's also found in trace amounts and other night shade family plants like tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants.
Speaker 1: Hey, aren't some of the night shade shade stuff like dangerous like deadly night shade mushrooms and stuff.
Speaker 2: It's not related. There are some some bad night shades, and there's some good night shelts. There is there.
Speaker 1: It does occur naturally in tobacco, hence why it's it's addictive. So it would be in the tobacco that you're using, but we can also synthesize that it would seem in some way distracted, yeah, or extracted and put it in all the other stuff. But no matter what what, you dice it up as forty dollars a pack of cigarettes is a huge ask, Like that's crazy to even think of.
Speaker 3: Are smoking butt cigarettes, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Well, they're smoking black market cigarettes, is what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Like, and it's ten dollars for a pack. You get him a little bit cheaper or a lot cheaper.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see here on the way out. Some stories that didn't make the cut. They're saying now that they've released all of the Epstein files, though there's quibbling over that what all means. People are saying that it's not enough. There's still more of them.
Speaker 2: Oh, Ceeli.
Speaker 1: I mentioned earlier about people stepping down from the Epstein files. Hyatt Hotels executive chairman Tom Pritzker, the guy from Hyatt Hotels, He's announced he's retiring from the board. Goldman Sachs has accepted the resignation of their top lawyer, Katherine Rummeler, who talked with Epstein in the twenty tens.
Speaker 2: Hollywood Talent Agent.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty eight, Los Angeles Olympics chair Casey Wasserman is selling his agency.
Speaker 2: We talked about that earlier.
Speaker 1: And then Brad Karp, the chairman of a law firm Paul Weiss, vacated the role of chairman but state at the company after his emails to Epstein also surfaced.
Speaker 2: And that's that. All right, let's get the hell out of here. Here we go, let's do today.
Speaker 1: I learned the following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ.
Speaker 2: So don't get cocky.
Speaker 8: Now it's done.
Speaker 2: What we call today.
Speaker 1: It is Taylor for a Tuesday, February seventeenth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Learn this character right here. Batman is correct, old school Batman. Here there was a pornographic version of Batman It was a parody of unknown origin that was discovered in the storage room of an adult movie theater in Tennessee. It is a highly sought after collectible adult film these days called bat p word if you're interested, Backeword's it's from the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 2: That's an old one. They used to do those spoofs even back in the day.
Speaker 1: Them to Kiaro Kobyashi today, I learned he retired from competitive eating.
Speaker 2: That's the Japanese hot dog.
Speaker 1: Eater guy, very very good at it, very maybe the best some set, but probably not as good as the what's the guy now, Joey Chestnut I think is the Takaro Kobyashi said he retired from competitive eating because.
Speaker 2: He no longer feels hunger or fullness.
Speaker 1: He no longer feels either one of those, which just it feels like it would take all the excitement out of eating food if you did this. Although I do hear what that's what the GLP ones do too. He just kind of like, I know a bunch of people who have been taking the GLP ones as of late, and they go, you know what, I hate It makes me physically sick to think about eating food and I don't know that.
Speaker 3: It's very up until a first bite, and then it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like to be excited about eating food. I don't want that to be pulled away from me. That feels honestly like a survival instinct on many of many levels. And finally, today, learn this guy right here, here we go.
Speaker 6: Funny Kenny, Jenny, Kenny Los Logins.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Kenny Loggins divorced his first wife and married his colon therapist.
Speaker 2: This says say less.
Speaker 1: He had some problems with his health in nineteen eighty two and he was referred to Julia Cooper, a colon therapist. She was a miracle worker on his colon, and then he married her afterwards and divorced his wife. Thank you so much for hanging out with us. We do appreciate it. We're back tomorrow, same time, same place. Missed any of the show, Get the podcast at the news jokie dot com.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 17: Everybody beautiful, sick seeing harping on a saba. I'm feeling whatever.
Speaker 2: We'll be doing it.
Speaker 18: I never go