Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're Getady running.
Speaker 3: Back, hosted by Dodgers insider David Bassi.
Speaker 2: Three in the Mix.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage containers, make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seven Day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Basse.
Speaker 2: I am so happy to be here off day Dodger Talk until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, and we have a great show for you tonight coming up in fifteen minutes. We'll be joined by one of my good buddies, a guy that certainly was very inclusive with myself and all of his teammates when he got traded to the Dodgers back in twenty twelve, and that is the one and only l Titan. Adrian Gonzalez will join us at seven point fifteen. We'll ask him about Freddie Freeman and his baseball mortality and also where the Dodgers are at right now as we get closer to the beginning of June. So looking forward to having Adrian Gonzalez on the show tonight. Also, I have a pair of tickets to give away for tomorrow nights alex Vesia Bobblehead Night, So between now and eight o'clock we will give away a pair of tickets to tomorrow night's Dodgers Phillies game, the beginning of a three game series between these two teams that faced off in the NLDS. The good news for the Dodgers they don't have to face Christopher Sanchez, who beat the Padres, blanked them yesterday and now has pitched forty four consecutive scoreless innings, so the Dodgers won't see him, but they will see an undefeated Zach Wheeler tomorrow night. Justin Robleski will be on the mound for the Dodgers. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, with first pitch at seven point fifteen. It's an Apple game, so you know what that means. This is the only place to know what's going on with the game. And also if you're watching the game on Apple, if you happen to have that app and you're streaming it, they have a great feature where you can get the local radio broadcast overlapping with the video. So if you go to the bottom right corner, you can hear Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner at the beginning of tomorrow night's game, and as the game progresses, Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. So that's the best feature of the Apple broadcast. So looking forward to that Tomorrow night, looking forward to seeing Don Mattingley and Trey Turner. I've gotten to know Bryce Harper a little bit. I like Harper. I'm sure he'll be hitting up his favorite Mexican restaurant in All Hambra, If not tonight, maybe tomorrow after the game, So look out for Bryce Harper in All Hambra. We have phone lines open at eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. What a day? What a day for me? Before we get into all this, had to wake up at seven this morning. I usually do to take my kids to school, but this time I had to drive my mom to Saint Joseph's and Burbank for a CT scan, and once I was done with that, had to charge my new Ionic nine at a supercharger place because I don't have an electrical outlet in my house. Thanks to shout out downy Hyundai for the Ionic nine, but I don't have an electrical panel in my house, so I have to go to a supercharger nearby virtually every other morning, and I've gotten my routine down doing that. But after that, I am my kids had to be picked up and then there was an open house and man, do I feel awkward ever time I go to my kids school, Like when I have to actually go inside the classrooms and have to interact with other parents. I just know they they can smell that I haven't been there very much. My wife does all of this stuff because obviously I'm traveling with the Dodgers, so when I do make an appearance, it's like completely foreign. It's like the first day of school for me every time I show up. So I had to go through the halls of their school. Today was open house day, and I just know the parents are like, what is this guy doing here? This guy, this guy doesn't know where he's going and I don't. And my wife was texting me, She's like, what's taking so long? I went down the wrong hallway. I don't even know where their classrooms are. So I'm back in my safe zone here with you on Dodger Talk until eight o'clock. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number before we get to the phone calls and before we get to Adrian Gonzalez just set the table of where the Dodgers are right now in the NL West. They have a four and a half game lead over both the Padres and the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Padres where for twenty eight and are currently for twenty eight with runners in scoring position during their four game losing streak, including just being swept by the Phillies, so Arizona and the Padres are in second place now four and a half games back of the Dodgers. The Dodgers have won twelve to their last fourteen, including sweeping the Angels, taking two out of three from the Brewers, and also taking two out of three from the Padres on their last nine game road trip, and then you're thinking, Okay, the first game of this series against the Rockies, you could kind of feel like the adrenaline wasn't there for the Dodgers. And then they start to smell a beginning a win in the seventh inning with a bad Rockies bullpen, and what do they do. They score four runs in the seventh inning and come from behind and steal that win and go on to sweep the Rockies by hitting eight home runs in the last two games of the series. They scored fifteen runs two nights ago, and they were very much in control last night with a four to one win after taking a no hitter into the eighth inning. If not for what's his name, Willie Castro hitting a ground ball down the in between short and or second in first base, a ground ball through the right side between Freeman and Freeman, and that was a one hitter last night. Despite Otani going six no hit innings, he threw ninety nine pitches but was laboring. And I said this after the game last night, and I feel the same way tonight. I have no issues with Dave Roberts taking Shohotani out of that game because of the unique circumstances with the most unique player in Major League Baseball history. So I had no issues with that. And in case you're wondering what the last Dodger no hit was, it was a combined no hitter in Mexico City back in twenty eighteen. So I still maintain Dave Roberts did the right thing. I'm not saying I've agreed with other removals of pitchers and perfect games in recent Dodger history, but last night I had no issues with that. And by the way, just to take a look at where the Dodgers are in the NL West, I just mentioned they won five in a row, won twelve of their last fourteen, have a four and a half game lead in the NL West. But if you look at the rest of the teams in the NL West, it's a complete disaster. Outside of Arizona, the Rockies are horrific. Again, don't let them fool you. Paul de Podesta has not waived any sort of magic computer over corus Field. They are awful still and that's going to take four to five years to rebuild. The Padres have no offense. Machado's hitting under two hundred. Fernando Tattis junior looks like a shit himself. He hasn't hit a home run the entire year, and it seems like for the first time in his entire career, baseball is hard for him, and he looks defeated even in batting practice. So that's a complete mess and the biggest mess. And I hate to use the term dumpster fire because that's something Ben Maller would do, a classless guy like Ben Mallard. That's not me. I'm not classless. I'm not gonna say the Giants are a dumpster fire, but they're awful. It is a mess. It is a hot mess in San Francisco, and I love it, and we all love it. The Giants can stay MS for as long as possible. Tony Voytello has not found major League baseball to be what it was in college baseball, and shocker who could have told him that. Buster Posey, who is one of the most arrogant people you'll ever meet, has not pushed any of the right buttons eight six, six, seventy. So nothing is going to change the fact the rest of the Division outside of Arizona is a complete hot mess, and the Dodgers are on their way to winning the division. Again, don't know by how many games, but I feel comfortable in saying by at least five to seven games at this point in time. Now they have lost two hernandez is in the last two games, which I'm not thrilled about. Key k Hernandez, who just came back strained as left O Blake, you know all about that. They recalled Alex Friedland yesterday who started at second base, and then Taoscar Hernandez in the second inning trying to leg out an infield single, came up limping because he heard his left hamstring and it's a severe left hamstring strain. We don't know how severe, but Dave Roberts said he's going to be out for weeks. And the reports now the Athletic has reported that Ryan Ward is going to get the call. I talked about that last night, that it is probably going to be Ryan Ward because for the mere fact he's earned it and he's on the forty man roster and the Dodgers camp platoon Alex call and Ryan Ward and left field until Taoscar Hernandez comes back, and it's not just another player going down. Taoscar Hernandez was getting hot at the right time. And he is one of the more clutch players, a right handed power hitter not a lot of teams have. So the Dodgers are going to miss Taoscar Hernandez. But Alex Call is having a really good year and I feel like Alex Call, Ryan Ward platoon is going to be able to hold down left field until Taoscar Hernandez comes back. So that's where things stand. And also, any fan can go on MLB dot com and just click on their transaction page to find out what's going on. And if you did that today, you would have saw that Santiago Espinal did clear waivers and the Dodgers have outrighted him to Oklahoma City, so he may be back sooner rather than later, especially if Hayesan Kim struggling and not getting opportunities. All right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, your phone calls, I see the phone lines ringing right now. We'll get to you and we'll get to Adrian Gonzalez next. Right here on Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Don't miss a moment of World Champion Dodger Talk. Your chance to talk about the world. Chance is here eight six six nine, eight seven two five seven. Here past episodes of Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: David Maasse with you until eight o'clock tonight Here on AM five seventy LA's Sports Dodger Talk. Tomorrow night, the Dodgers will be back in action against the Phillies. Alex Vessi of Bobblehead Night. We have a pair of tickets to give away to tomorrow night's game to celebrate Alex Vesia. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Justin Robleski will be facing Zach Wheeler tonight. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, with first pitch at seven fifteen. All right, yes, sorry, people are calling in. I got this city wrong. Where the twenty eighteen combined no hitter was. It wasn't Mexico City. It was Monterey, Mexico, and I got news for you. I was there, so okay, sorry. It was Monterey, Mexico, three game series against the Padres. The Dodgers were in and out and guys like Adam libertore Yimi Garcia, Chris Hatcher were the relievers that completed the no hitter after Walker Bueler started that game in Monterey, Mexico against the San Diego Padres, and that was such a cool trip because Julio Urias was emerging as a star. He was there and the Dodgers brought Fernando Valenzuela with them to be an ambassador as well, So it was it was a really great trip to Monterey, Mexico. And the very next day, after the Dodgers threw that I no hitter against the Padres, the great team photographer John Suhu took a photo of all those pictures that were able to throw that combined no hitter. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number in case you missed the news. Santiago Espinal did clear waivers and he will be part of the Dodgers organization again. And the Dodgers, you know, had to designate for assignment Santiago Espinal. When keyk Hernandez uh was reinstated from the sixty A sixty day il and I thought it said a lot about who keyk is as a person. As a teammates, keyk Hernandez really really understood what it meant to not only be hurt now for a couple of couple of days, a couple of months because the Dodgers let Santiago espinal goal, and now they will bring him back. He's going to be part of it all right there he is ceeg Zach. He made Adrian Gonzalez call a regular phone line. Oh my god, I am so and beira embarrass. This is part of the brand, you know. I try to impress my fancy friends. A guy that had two thousand and fifty hits, a guy that really revitalized and was a symbol that the Dodgers were back. When the Dodgers made the trade for Adrian Gonzalez, Nick Punto, Josh Beckett and Carl Crawford. Adrian Gonzalez one of the greatest hitters of his generation. Three hundred and seventeen home runs, a two to eighty seven batting average, and eight forty three ops. And he does everything. He's a star on sports at a LA. He's the owner of slis Rita and thrace those thres at the block on Olympic and Adrian Gonzalez joints Dodger talk.
Speaker 4: How you doing, Adrian, Dave, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: It's great to hear f It's great to hear your boys. And the first the first part was was actually on me because my phone is set to this where I know numbers don't really go through, and so I was worried about that. But luckily I got I got the voicemail.
Speaker 4: And that they gave me a callback number.
Speaker 2: I mean, now that you're retired, are you still concerned about Rando's calling your cell phone?
Speaker 5: You know nowadays with all the with all those weird calls that you get all over the place, and.
Speaker 4: It has nothing to do with people.
Speaker 5: It has to do with, you know, all the spam calling.
Speaker 2: Yes, kind of a spam call right here for sure. You know, Adrian and I agree on a lot of things in life and baseball, but the one thing we really disagree on is NFL teams. You're you've stuck with the Chargers from their move from San Diego to LA and I have one foot in with the Raiders. Now, Adrian, I'll make this announcement to you. I have one foot in with the Raiders, but since the raid, the Rams moved their headquarters to Woodland Hills, my home town. I have one foot in with Matthew Stafford and the rams. Now you're not.
Speaker 5: You know, you need to be a little more loyal to your team.
Speaker 2: I am loyal. I am loyal, but I mean they left LA, so I feel like I have this out clause in our relationship.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean I can see that. I mean I have no problem with that.
Speaker 5: But you know, I've I've I've stuck some targeters and that.
Speaker 4: Good to them. Of your copefully can take to enough level.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, hopefully this year is your year to a certain extent. Adrian, you you're now an analyst for sports at l A. You know how it is. You were you were one of the most even keel guys, and you were some of you were the first guy to help me stay off the roller coaster of wins and losses, win streaks, losing streaks. Where do you see the Dodgers right now, after a couple of weeks of where they kind of look flat, it seems like they've come back to life.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, the way I see the team is preparation for the the consecutive World Series. This is all you know that, and so you have to go have to go through, uh, you know, some good times and and feel great about where you are and and and you know how the team is coming together, and unfortunately there's gonna be some injuries along the way, which they've been seeing lately with the Kika and Tail.
Speaker 2: Remember when you were playing every spring training, they would say you had too many outfielders. It seems like you can never have enough outfielders or players. And the Dodgers seem to have the depth to sustain injuries to a guy like a Taoscar Hernandez when most teams don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's that's the thing is, you know, the team is so deep, you have so many players, and you know you're you're you're in a good spot, you know, And and calling up a guy who's who's who's put up some great numbers in Triple A like Ryan ward Is it's really cool to see. So they have players, you know, in abundance, especially in the outfield in the minor leagues, and and they're they're able to dig into those those players, uh and call them up and give them opportunities.
Speaker 2: Adrian and Zalez is our guest, Where are you going, Adriana? Are you going from thrace those thrace to slice area? Where are you going? Are i mean, you're you're really slinging pizzas and tacos now, And I feel like it's great because people, uh, you're not just the owner of those places on Olympic at the block, but people will see you randomly in there behind the counter in the kitchen and sometimes enjoyin the food.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm there. I'm there once or twice a week for sure, you know, making sure everything everything, and you have to taste of food in order to make sure that you know the the customers are gonna like it. So you know, I gotta I gotta taste it. I gotta make sure the flavors are right. So when the customers come, they come away, you know, they walk away satisfied.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when you're there and people aren't expecting to see you, how surprised do some of the fans get when they show up and there's Adrian Gonzalez?
Speaker 5: You know some of them some of them are super you know, hey, how's it going? Great to see and some people you can tell that they get a little shy. But you know, I'm always hoping to be able to give them, you know, a great welcoming and thank you for being there, and and you know, if they.
Speaker 4: Want to picture, I'm there for that. So you know, it's it's it's it's always fun to see to see the.
Speaker 2: Fans, Adrian, You were the symbol of this Dodger ownership making a commitment to the fan base, to the city that they were here to win. All these years later, with all the success the Dodgers have had back to back World Series championships, a twenty twenty championship, does it still blow you a way how the fans still appreciate what you did and how much you mean to Dodger fans even in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, I think I was fortunate that this ownership group, you know, thought of me to come in and be one of those players that you know was gonna was gonna, you know, do what.
Speaker 4: They've set out to do, which is.
Speaker 5: You know, bringing a winning product and continue to go and get the players that you know, they thought would would be great for the organization. And so you know, they were able to make that trade happen, and you know, I was fortunate to to come in and and and be able to start a run that the team has has been able to sustain and maintain and and uh and gotten better as as as it went. Ownership continues to invest in the product, invest in the players, so so the fans can have a great a great experience, and you know, the the ability for ownership to go get show hay And and Snell and you know, the players that they've gotten lately with Tucker and everything, it's it's it's pretty impressive and it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think about Kyle Tucker so far, Adrian?
Speaker 5: You know, I think he obviously got off to a slow start, but he's starting to pick it up. He's starting to have his his games where he shows.
Speaker 4: You know, the type of player he is.
Speaker 5: I really feel like he's going to continue to to show and and and get better as the season goes on. And you know, a guy like Tucker, you bring him in so he can get that big, big hit or two in the playoffs that you're gonna need. So, you know, there when when we signed him and people were like super excited, I was like, well, what do you expect out of him? And a lot of the expectations were a little too much in my opinion. You know, they were thinking, oh, we're gonna get a guy that hits close to three hundred with thirty five homers and one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Twenty everybody else.
Speaker 5: I was like, I don't think you're gonna get that out of him. I think you gonna get you know, a guy that that hit protects your lineup, sits in the middle of the order and comes up with some big hits and uh. And so for me, I think, obviously he got off to this little start, but I think he's starting to show who he is and and what we need out of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you I mean, it feels like, obviously the salary for one year is astronomical, But how unfair is that to him to say, well, you're making that, so you should do X, Y and Z, when that's something he's never done in his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think last year he got off to a great start, which made people feel that way, But then you know, he had a few injuries. But a lot of times, the salary is a big number, and so like that is a part that you have to pay a.
Speaker 4: Pay attention to.
Speaker 5: But to me, you know, he is an all star, he is a great player. But I would not put that kind of pressure to say you need to go out there and hit three hundred with thirty five and one twenty on him like, that's that's that's that's putting a little too much expectations there. I think he's he's a great to eighty with with twenty five homers and a hunter RBI guy. And if you can put your mind on that, I think you'll enjoy the player he is and what he brings to the table, playing great defense, running the bases right, being a great teammate, and helping the team win another championship.
Speaker 2: Now Freddy Freeman is hitting in front of him. Now, he's gone from three number three hitter to a number two hitter, back to a number three hitter. Freddie Freeman's thirty six years old, Adrian, you took your last at bat in the major leagues at thirty six years old. We all know Freddie wants three thousand hits, but lately it seems like he's really questioning his own baseball mortality. How do you deal with that when you're in the middle of it, fighting every day, and do you feel like Freddy's gonna have to come to a tough decision in a couple of years.
Speaker 5: That's a question that's answer that only Freddie will know, because you know, I think the one thing that Freddy's got going for himself is that he's playing in a place where you know, he can call home, and that makes.
Speaker 4: It a lot easier.
Speaker 5: But let's say he, you know, Dodger's contract ends and he wants to play a couple more years and he's got to go play somewhere where now the home isn't there. That's that's really what you know, for me personally, that's what it came down to. If if I would have had an opportunity to play, you know, on the West Coast, I would have kept playing. My opportunities were in Detroit, in Miami and places like that. And after spending half a season and and you know, with the Mets, I didn't want to be away from home. And so for me that my family was more important than being you know, away from the family to keep playing just for the sake of numbers or or for something like that. So if he can stay in a place where he can have his family next to him, I think he can keep playing. Now if he's got to go somewhere where you know, his kids are getting older, they're starting to go to school and all these things where you know it's not as easy for the family to travel. You know that's going to play a play a role. But as long as he's able to play here in LA, let's say he can play those years and get to those three thousand hits.
Speaker 2: Do you think Freddy Freeman would ever you know, as he gets older, maybe it's not looking the way that it's looking right now. Do you think he could ever reconcile not being an everyday player or you feel like if he's going to continue to play, he would want to be out there every day.
Speaker 5: I think he would want to be out there at least eighty percent of the games.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe maybe not.
Speaker 5: A fool everyday player, but still be out there for most but definitely against every right hand there and then play against like half the lefties.
Speaker 2: Adrian Itzalez is our guest, all right. Just a few days ago, Adrian, it was the anniversary of Josh Beckett's no hitter in Philadelphia. You were playing for a base that day. That was back in twenty fourteen. You played on a lot of talented Dodger teams that one consecutive division championships. Are there any is there any team or any moments that stand out to you the most. I never really asked you that before, but now that you're a little bit more removed from your playing days, do you reflect on anything more than and then another year or another moment.
Speaker 5: I mean, I really think twenty thirteen, the team that we had in the playoffs was probably the best team that I played on. You know, we all we all talk about, you know, Handley's ribs in that series against the Cardinals, and you know, if he wouldn't have been sidelined, what could have been?
Speaker 4: You know, he was he was, you.
Speaker 5: Know, best hitter in the first round, middle of the lineup guy, you know, difference maker, and you take him out. You know, I guess the reference would be if they were to take out Otani right now, right, how does that change your team in the middle of a series or at the start of a series for that So that was That's one, and you know, and honestly, to me, it was it was just a lot of fun to be in the playoffs every year and and you know, get really close and you know see the fans really, you know, come alive in the playoffs and in a sense of like they're obviously a lot during the season, but in the playoffs, that stadium just you know, it rattles, you can you can feel the energy through the through the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you and Justin Turner really made it come to life, Adrian, And we always remember I posted the photo of the selfie celebration after the home runs. You guys had a little bit more style than these weird, awkward celebrations that were seeing from these Dodgers. I'll go selfie all day.
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean the selfies, you know, it's you know, it's it's it's it's.
Speaker 4: A great celebration.
Speaker 5: I really enjoyed the bubble too after home runs, the bubble party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bubble, that.
Speaker 4: Was like the first celebration.
Speaker 5: And when it comes to home runs and the dugouts of any team, you know, we started that trend and now everybody has the celebration of the dugout for home runs. So, you know, but I think Miguel te Hota started to get a hit. You know, show the show the flashlight on the player when you know, when they're on the field, and have the player recognize the dugout and the dugout recognize the player. But you know, we started the home run and the dugout trend, and you know, it's fun to see every team have their own little little celebration for home runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Whatever didn't Major League Baseball tell you guys to take the bubble machine out?
Speaker 4: They did?
Speaker 5: They they they they forced us to to stop that.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I think it was too early for its time for MLB. It was too early for that. Yeah, you were, you were ahead of our time.
Speaker 2: We were, we were in a lot of ways. Hey, it's great to hear your voice. Everybody got to get down to Threstos Thrace and slice Maria on olymp They got the block, you know where it is, and you never know. You're gonna get good pizza. You're gonna get good Mexican food. And you may even see Adrian Gonzalez organically randomly trying to steal your guacamole. So come on, go go down there and see Adrian and Adrian can't wait to see you back at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, Dave. It's always great to hear from you. And I didn't hear that. Did you make it down?
Speaker 5: Did you make it down the slide this time around?
Speaker 4: Or you stayed away.
Speaker 2: There wasn't enough momentum from the clubhouse really pushing me to go down the slide. So if there's a group of guys that really felt like I needed to go back down, it probably would have been your teams. But this one was a They weren't feeling it, so I just left it alone. But I will if they push it, and maybe they put some Verde de Niro in a Dodger hat, maybe it would entice me to go down.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what, next year, if I can make it, I'll fly down to Milwaukee with the team, and you know, kind of like when you do when you're a dad and you have your kid.
Speaker 4: I'll put you in front of me and we can go down together.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you. I appreciate that, Papa. Thanks Adrianda. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 4: All right, Dan, good talking to you.
Speaker 2: There. He goes Adrian Gonzalez, one of my favorites. Uh man. We had so many good times when he was playing for the Dodgers because the vibes were always high. As soon as he got there, a lot of winnings started for the Dodgers, and it's continued through twenty twenty six. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we'll get to your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. We still have a pair of tickets to give away for tomorrow night's game against the Phillies Alex Vesia babbohead Night. And also you'll hear from Joey Vado, another first baseman. He had some high praise for Sho Hao Tani on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. A lot to get to between now at eight o'clock, and thank you again to my guy lt Don Adrian Gonzalez for calling in more Dodger Talk around the corner on a five to seventy LA.
Speaker 3: Sports don't miss a moment of world champion Dodger Talk. Your chance to talk about the world chance is he eight six six nine eight seven two five seven. Here past episodes of Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio Act.
Speaker 2: Thanks again to Adrian Gonzalez for joining us. You'll see him on Sports Net LA. You'll see him at Thrace, those Thrace and Slice Aria down an Olympic at the Block. So awesome we have Adrian come on the show and certainly had some unique perspective on Kyle Tucker and what we should expect, and also Freddie Freeman dealing with what every player eventually deals with, and that's their own baseball mortality. But Freddy's still going strong, don't get me wrong. He still has a lot left in the tank to help the Dodgers get to a three pet But obviously, moving forward, it's something that isn't on his mind because Ken Rosenthal was asking him about it. Others have asked him about it, so it certainly is not at the forefront of his mind, but certainly something that is right around the corner for him. Eight sixty six nine seven two, five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Joe and Glen Dora. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Joe Dave.
Speaker 6: I'm doing great. I'm super happy to be on the air with you. Hey, I just want to talk real quick about how excited I am to see this three peat and see the Dodgers go back to back to back and win another championship. What makes this the Golden era of Dodgers baseball is the depth that we have and you know, a lot of other teams when they lose glass Now and Snell and Edwin Diaz and we haven't seen Gratterol in half a decade, and we all of the Hernandez is any other team, it takes them out of contention. Our fans look at it and say, oh, are we gonna be able to keep this four game lead in a tough division where everybody's trying to catch up to us? And then when we do, when these players start to come back, and we start looking at it and going, ooh, we should be able to be up by ten or fifteen games when we get the entire roster back. See, what makes this the Golden Era of Dodgers baseball is the fact that all of the guys who are filling in when these all stars are on the il, all of those guys, we're not going to guys who are negative war players. We have players coming in that are able to hold their own and prove that they could be All Stars on any other team.
Speaker 2: So it's just Hey, the Dodgers have their own all star emerging right now, and that's the center field or Andy pa Has, who leads major League Baseball with fifty RBIs. He's top five in hits and has six outfield assists, which leads all major league outfielders as well. Joe, I love the enthusiasm you have for the Dodgers. Can you make it to the game tomorrow night?
Speaker 6: Heck, yeah, I can. I'll be there. We're gonna take down the Phillies.
Speaker 2: And who's giving you tickets?
Speaker 6: Joe am five seventy and David.
Speaker 2: Was, oh baby, all right, Joe, hold on, you get him and don't forget. You can live stream all the Dodger games on the iHeartRadio app. And it should be a fun night out there, Dodgers, Phillies, alex Vesia, babblehead night. I want to go out to my guy, Teddy Tannenbaum, who is a longtime Dodger fan and lives out here in LA and he is one of the best executive leaders out there, but even more a passionate baseball fan, a passionate Dodger fan. He plays in a southern California league called Dodger Town West. He's done that for the last thirty five years. It's kind of a breakoff of the alumni of the adult baseball and Teddy has such a great passion for the game of baseball. He published a poem book about the game that he loved so much, Teddy. Great to have you on Dodger Talk. Hope you're doing good tonight.
Speaker 7: Thanks David, just elighted to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you obviously have a deep love for the game of baseball, and for the Dodgers. To play in those adult fantasy camps, I'm sure was a dream come true for all of us to be able to not only meet some of these Dodger greats, but to put on a Dodger uniform and to be coached up by some of these guys.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I had never played as a kid, so I was forty three when I went to the camp and I met a guy named Duke Snyder. And Duke Snyder was my first year in baseball back in New York. I saw him playing at its Field, probably fifty six or fifty seven. I had a Duke Snyder glove, and you know, I oiled that glove and looked like he had signed it to himself. And that first game I went to at seven eight years old, he hit a home run and it's been a love affair ever since.
Speaker 2: The Dream Life of Teddy Baseball is the name of the book. You can find out an Amazon, Barnes and Noble anywhere you buy them. And what inspired these poems? Was it a moment in time at a doll camp, Was it a moment in time meeting a Dodger? Was it just a collection of lifetime memories?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I started writing things back in the late eighties. In fact, the first poem I wrote was an Oats Oral Herscheizer from the eighty eight season, and it's called Strikeout, and it was something just observing or to remember. During the World Series, he asked permission to reach into his pocket to look at a car for some hymns that he wanted to come to himself. Now everyone's looking at a carc sousee. We're position themselves defensively. But it was very unique at that time, and just watching him it inspired me to write a little poem for him, and I've been writing ever since and in my career. You know, in late leadership work, some of the most surprising and enlightening things about leadership, life and human nature often arise at unexpected places. And for me, that place has always been baseball.
Speaker 2: That's pretty special, and Oral Herscheizer, obviously, to this day, has such a special place in Dodger fans. Hearts for what he did in nineteen eighty eight, and Christopher Sanchez Teddy is trying to catch him with that fifty nine consecutive scoreless innings streak. We got to put a stop to that, Teddy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, too bad. We may not have a chance to see him this week.
Speaker 2: And Louis no, no, he pitched against the one of the worst offenses in the Padres and I think he's going to see the Blue Jays next. So I don't know. I don't know where this is going, but I don't like it.
Speaker 7: Well, we'll keep a hole close to our hearts and hope his district last forever.
Speaker 2: Is there one Dodger outside of Duke Snyder Teddy that you met that really was one of your childhood heroes? I mean everybody automatically says that grew up in the sixties, Sandy Kofax. Did you ever get to meet Kofax?
Speaker 7: Of course he has just briefly and got to shake his hand, not his left hand, but his right hand. And what a thrill having grown up in New York and just watching him blossomed, especially when the Dodgers left town. Of course it was a sad time. And when the Meds showed up in sixty two and played in Polo Grounds for those few years. Every time the Dodgers came to town. I was at every game. So I got to see Sandy in sixty two, sixty three, sixty four, right through sixty six, and what a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Can you believe you know this that when Sandy Kofax pitched his one and only perfect game, there wasn't even thirty thousand fans at Dodgers Stadium that week night against the Cubs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and memorialized by Vin's call, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, when you talk about a baseball poet, Vince Scully is the first person that comes to mind, Teddy, I'm sure just like all of us that grew up listening to Vinn, he had a major, a major impact on your love affair with the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he did, And I wrote about I wrote a pieceful Transistor about listening when the trendistor radio came out and I'd be on the beach in New York and I listened to the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball games. What I noted was that he never called him the Dodgers. It was always Brooklyn, Brooklyn that would head for to two Brooklyn, trailing buyer run with two who needs to play? And my favorite basis FLD full of Brooklyns.
Speaker 2: I never knew that because in LA he would always say the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Never call them the Dodgers, as I recall listening to Dorcaster, New York, always Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: The Dream Life of Teddy Baseball a book of poems from Teddy and his love for baseball. All right, Teddy, before we move on, And certainly I love your story. I love just how much passion you have for the game to be able to put together this book. But what do you think about the boys in Blue and twenty twenty six? I know you still follow them closely, So as a Dodger fan, do you feel like the three pete is inevitable?
Speaker 7: Well, it's hard to say it's inevitable. I go back to what Tommy used to say, every team's going to win sixty, every team's going to lose sixty. It's the other forty that makes the difference. And the Dodgies are primed. Look at in twenty seventeen, right, the Cobage just had this band run two ten game losing streak and a ten game winning streak, and everyone recollected. In twenty seventeen, Job just had two ten game losing streaks, that ten game winning streak. And if you go back to the days, and I'm sure some of your listeners will remember Bug Farillo, the steamer, and he used to say, hey, you're in here on the bus or you're off with us. So you know, one of the beautiful things start voting for a team is you get to fold him with all the ups and downs. And it's a long season, so as you know, when they have a losing streak, people go, oh that's it. They'll never repeat and have winning streak. How could they ever lose? That's the beauty of watching the season unfold. That's what the love is for me.
Speaker 2: All right, Teddy, thank you for calling in. Appreciate it, and we'll look forward to seeing you at Dodger Stadium very soon. Don't forget. It's called the dream Life of Teddy Baseball. Teddy tenem Bomb a big time Dodger and baseball fan and just want to share a story with you. So thanks Teddy, we'll see you soon.
Speaker 7: Appreciate it, David, thank you all.
Speaker 2: Right, Teddy Tannembomb, big time Dodger, fan playing in those adult camps. Let's go out to the phones again. Let's go out to West with Sassan. You're on Dodger Talk. How are you doing, Sassan, I'm doing great.
Speaker 7: Thanks for taking my call, David.
Speaker 2: Thanks for hanging in there, Sassan. I appreciate you holding on for so long.
Speaker 8: No problem, I just yeah, I just wanted to ask you about so today major League Baseball.
Speaker 4: They proposed a hard.
Speaker 8: Salary cap today and I just wanted to get your thoughts on how that might affect the Dodgers it is coming next season and how they construct their roster.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm not full disclosure, Sassan. The Dodger zone forty nine percent of this radio station, right, so just keep that in mind when we get go through these labor negotiations. But I will say this, this has nothing to do with the Dodgers. This has a lot to do with the rest of Major League Baseball. They're trying to put their problems on the players, and the Dodgers don't need to apologize for how smart and how good they are. I mean, they've completely dominated professional sports since this ownership group took over, and they have no apologies for that, including the lucrative TV deal they made that has really separated them as far as resources before Otani, now with Otani even more so. Really, to me, it feels like the rest of the owners are trying to put their issues on the players with a salary cap. How about the Cincinnati Reds putting a salary cap on their ticket prices or their beer prices or their hot dog prices. How about that, Sassan, how about that for a hard salary cap. But here's the thing. Both sides are giving the other side the extremes. That's like their wish list. This is our wish list, this is my wish list. And at some point theasan they will meet in the middle. So it's way too early to start freaking looking out over what major League Baseball proposed to the union and what the Union proposed to major League Baseball. It is so early and right now it's trying to win the court of public opinion right now by making their negotiations so public this early. So I'm not concerned about it, and I hope soisan that the media doesn't focus on this more than the great season that we are witnessing, not only from the Dodgers, but by the entire sport, you can't cast a shadow over this season with all this nonsense.
Speaker 7: I will thank you for your well came answer.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Have a great one.
Speaker 2: Thanks asan appreciate it. Yeah, that's my only gripe right now. I mean, I've never been a big fan of talking about players salaries, collective bargaining agreements. That's just not why you're here for all that. And when the time comes after the season's over, obviously it'll be more of a focal point. But right now I'm not gonna talk about it every night because I don't care about it. Right now, it's not affecting anything during this season. So let's just sit back, enjoy this season. And I'm a believer, maybe I'm an optimist. I've talked to some players. They are not going to accept a salary cap, and look, that's just the reality of it. Okay, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. Thanks to and Adrian Gonzalez for calling in. Thanks to Zach Gilcaldi for all his help. Tomorrow night, we'll be out at Dodger Stadium. Justin Robleski will be on the mound going up against Zach Wheeler. Our coverage begins at six o'clock, first pitch at seven point fifteen. Coming up next Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow night. See you