Speaker 1: In alex Egan producing Sandy Collins with news.
Speaker 2: You know, we were here on Friday and it was like sixty eight and this weather has been crazy.
Speaker 3: Pneumonia weather.
Speaker 2: It's my grandma call hold out weather, whiplane, Yes, twenty seven degrees right now according to my iPhone.
Speaker 1: Is it not supposed to warm up again too sooner than later or something? I mean, I wasn't trying to pressure you. Look at you looking for the extended forecast. I'm looking at the ninth first morning weather and you may have already heard it. With Sandy close to fifty Tuesday forties the start of the week. Today's just a little chilli. It's not bad to come. I mean it is January.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know this is the weather that we expect in the Shri state in January. For sure.
Speaker 1: In wait eight minutes, it'll change and sooner than later they'll be playing baseball, great American Ballpark, and life is good and man lot going on. Doctor Donnad Schlake going to join us after the twelve thirty report, we'll hear the world is changing. There's a lot going on in Iran, in Syria, in Minneapolis, protest across country about ice stuff.
Speaker 2: Something about Greenland.
Speaker 1: I've heard about that, something about that the easy way or the hard way. I don't know what that means. I've heard that in bad past relationships. So you did that way of the hard way.
Speaker 2: You know, when you look at the footage of Minneapolis and stuff like that, and the ice agents and the clashing with protesters and things like that, it doesn't even look like this country to me. It looks like I'm watching something you know, foreign.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean, you know, it's challenging times, interesting times, And we'll talk to doctor donas Schleheck about it. She is a Cincinnati kid and she was the head of political science at right State now professor Meredith, and she spent about ten years in Minneapolis. I think she may have gone to school there and she also did some other stuff there. So we'll get into her head about that, as well as everything else that's going on. There's a lot of spinning plates at the moment. Yeah, I mean there's definitely not. There's there's plenty to talk about today. There's no shortage of topics, no to talk about today.
Speaker 3: And I don't know what you were doing. I know you've had a wild weekend, Donna.
Speaker 1: But I last night I was juggling on my own stuff and we were texting back and forth.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you call it. I can't even remember.
Speaker 1: And it was one of them you're not getting back to me or whatever the usual, and I'm like, look, I'm wrangling cats, I'm trying to cook.
Speaker 3: The dog's going crazy.
Speaker 2: But I got a million on my plate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to work it. And I nearly dropped the phone in a skillet with sauce. Not good if that, because I didn't have it on a speaker, And as I was doing that, and then I had football on as I was trying to crane my neck around to watch the screen, and I'm like, well, clearly this game is over. So I turned off the football. No, I totally did. I am shocked you did that.
Speaker 2: You're one of those fans I turn off football because you think it's over. And then bam, both games. Like we were at the hard Rock, a bunch of us, and it was first time I've been to the hard Rock in Cincinnati. It was actually very very fun. Yeah. The l A Rams What a game that was, I mean, and then Bears and Packers.
Speaker 1: Wow, and sent the packers pack and it was kind of weird in Chicago. I mean, they're like Glee. I guess Glee talk about a comeback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you.
Speaker 1: Heard ken Brew earlier. You're talking to what would the Bengals do early? You know, so we'll figure out what they do for the coming season. They've got work to do, so it gets kind of odd.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The other thing that's going crazy right now, that's gotten a bunch of attention, and I'm sort of surprised. I mean, there's a connection with the guy. I think he's from Mason, the dentist and his wife. He and her both murdered in Columbus. We were talking about that last night. What a crazy story. Yeah, and everybody apparently all over the country. Anjeanette Levy was friend of the show. You used to work in town as a reporter, anchor stup, but now she does long crime. She was anchoring and covering a lot of that as well. They arrested the husband. They've been divorced for a long time.
Speaker 2: Eight years they were divorced. And how how I mean this story is going to continue to unfold, But why don't you just explain what.
Speaker 1: Happened since well, well I know that what happened is is the allegation is apparently he came to Columbus and allegedly, because he's been charged with their murders, he left the kids in the in the either a dog or whatever other pets unharmed, and then got out of town or at least tried to escape and shot them.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was contentious proceedings with the divorce, and it seemed to drag on a long time because these people were married. For you, they had kids and everything, right, It's just odd and you hear about these stories and you constantly talk about relationship stuff. You've got your relationship show, Donna. It is bewildering to think that something one would drag on that long after you've gone on to the next thing. And then whatever is the allegation is that he came and killed her his ex and then you know her current husband. What a just a nightmare scenario because you think you're living your own idealic life and then something from the past comes and get you. I would think it'd be over by then and somebody would move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so I was always I was talking with my friend Dia last night about this case, and I said, you know, I have remained friends with my all my exes. Really we still text. I mean not not on a daily basis by any means, but like we keep in touch, and yeah, it's healthy and for a relationship to be over for so long, and I don't think they had kids, so with an eight year stretch, she's remarried. Something there has to be something that happened to bring him to Columbus and on her doorstep.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's you know what I don't understand though, is how anybody without knowing the psychology behind whatever he's alleged have done. Because we don't need a lawsuit, right, but just the thing where people can't let go or are so bitter and vindictive either how it ended, or giving up half or more than half, or or just whatever it is where somebody slips and they decide, well, okay, well I'll get you, and then somebody has oftentimes it's murder suicide. But he just came took them, allegedly, and it took their lives and then left. I just I mean, I've been despondent, I've been upset, I've been emotionally devastated. I've been financially wrecked and splits and everything else, and I just can't imagine at some point where you just can't turn the corner and carry on without doing something like this. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. But the whole count has been paying attention to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what an awful story. I mean, such a cute young couple, you know, right after Christmas, between Christmas and New Year's and I yeah, this guy is now charged charged the ex is charged with the murder of these two people, and he was arrested on Saturday, January tenth. I mean, what can possess somebody to do that? Anyway, Just like you said, you've been hurt, you've been upset, You've had to deal with your own emotions and your own feelings. We all do. There's nobody at the over the age of probably fifteen, in this life that hasn't had to deal with a breakup. And it's just awful. It's just absolutely awful. I don't care what the excuse is that he had. You don't do that. I mean, obviously it's just a devastating thing. But how they came back into each other's lives, or how he decided to come back into her life like that. It's just beyond me.
Speaker 1: It really is a difficult thing. Also to imagine how the surviving members of the family extended that are going to have to navigate that and at some point probably have to explain to the children, hopefully they weren't able to see anything too graphically disturbing, but have to explain to them somehow where their parents went in the circumstance around that, I mean, when they ask, or how it comes up. I mean, it's just a lot of layers of sadness that sort of go along with that. And every day in the news there's all kinds of different tragedy and horrible stuff from you know, the eleven year old just a little over a week ago who was gunned down in the playground, continuing to you know, investigate that Cincinnati homicide and law enforcement and that family trying to carry on in some fashion, and then a few years earlier, another eleven year old there. I'm not trying to be the prophet of doom. I'm just saying there's a lot of this that's dealt with on a regular basis, and here you'd think in a relationship situation you'd be beyond it. But I guess the danger is always there.
Speaker 2: It's just I think we're going to find out a lot more about this story and it's going to be hard, hard to come back from.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know the other thing too. Bob Weir, co founder Grateful Dead, seventy eight years old, passed away. He had apparently beaten camp sir and going back to May, had dealt with treatments and everything else, but had some type of lingering, long term problem with his lung or lungs that ended up apparently ending him. Is a word of his passing came out yesterday, I guess is when it was, which is is just devastating guitarist singer. I mean you've probably seen him, I don't even know how many times when when it was the Grateful Dead and then with Dead and Company here in town, have.
Speaker 2: You seen I've never seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, Dead and Company of course was a John Mayer who's been with them and in a group of touring artists of one type or another of band members, et CETERA. Final show I think was in August. He appeared with them in San Francisco, and I don't know if they were wrapping up the tour, if it was a one off show or whatever else.
Speaker 3: I saw some video of that.
Speaker 1: He sounded, you know, weak, voice wise, but was there and seemed like he was getting it done. I don't know that anybody there thought that it was going to be the last time that he'd be performing, let alone, not with us, for very night.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 2: Seventy nine seventy eight. I mean, it doesn't even seem old to me anymore.
Speaker 1: Seventy eight, well Alex Egan was producing, would probably be the difference.
Speaker 3: Seven whatever.
Speaker 1: But I mean, that's a window of time and it does come quickly. But the thing is, it's pretty amazing to me is that that music will live on forever and always, and that's a pretty amazing footprint to leave behind for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: There's nobody liked the Grateful Dead. They really they were pioneers way back when. And you know, I wished now thinking about it, I've seen so many bands that I loved, and I would have loved to have been been at one Grateful Dead concert.
Speaker 1: My guess is Dead and Company will continue on in some fashion. Yeah, I would hope at some point. What I can tell you it's more than just dirty, stinky, you know, paturely wearing hippie chicks, although I like them right right right, looking for a miracle and all what I will tell you in short order. And this is an odd store. I don't know if she'll call. She often listens. Good friend of mine. Years ago, I took her to her first dead show and we drove up to Cleveland. This has been years ago, in the mid nineties, mid late nineties. And then she just sort of disappeared for a while. She went on the road in like she became a dead end. Yes, she camped and traveled all over the country.
Speaker 2: That's what happens when you go to a dead show is because you just kept mesmerized and you don't want the party to end. That's what happens.
Speaker 1: It's a different energy and a different vibe and a great experience for her. And it was odd. It was like, what have you been doing? She's like, well, I've been here, there and everywhere. And I'm like, holy crap, what happened?
Speaker 2: And she was like, what's your fault?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't know, I don't know if I did that I didn't ever catch the hey, I'm going to go on the road thing. But I was always good for the you know, the magic of the show and the music and everything and the.
Speaker 2: But that's how it happens to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: It does, and I know a whole lot of people have reached out and talking about the too. Later on, we'll also get into a little bit of I love movies and I know you do too. We talked to Kevin Carr Friday when we were in for Sloany and aside the stuff that's new, the award shows, I'm always sort of bogged because judging what the best in anything is when it comes to artists subjective and challenging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you kind of have your favorite, I mean, and there's there's quite a few that are gonna be up. The Golden Globes is what we're talking to talking about, is on tonight, Yeah, and it's gonna be you know, I don't know what kind of an audience there is for award shows anymore, myself included. I used to love the Grammys, the Golden Globes and the Oscars. I've been seen those are my top favorite. I'ven't seen the Grammys in a while. I do want to watch the Golden Globes tonight. There's a ton of football on thom And Oh yeah, and the football games are going to be absolutely off the charts. Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you've got Bill's Jags later forty nine, Hers, Eagles and Chargers and Patriots. Somehow Patriots got back into the playoffs as well, and we'll tune you up for that a little bit later too. The award show stuff is always interesting one aside from the it's hard to you know, your favorites are my favorites compared to the best. I always like at least the nomination list, so I know that it must be extraordinary work that people have put out that I need to investigate and check out if I've missed it already. In that fashion, the Golden Globes, though, at least it's not so buttoned down, you know, it's more relaxed. They're drunk, probably high, and they're goofing off.
Speaker 2: Dicky Glazier is hosting, and she's quite funny. She was probably the funniest one at the Tom Brady Roast. She was there. But she's she's gonna probably do a good jobs there's a ton to laugh at, at least in this country right now, you know, pick fun at, gotta laugh. Yeah, I mean, I do think the two big contenders tonight obviously are going to be Leonardo DiCaprio and Timothy Shallo May, right, and those those are the two who's going to win Best Actor.
Speaker 3: I always get confused with you.
Speaker 1: I mentioned this Friday, Shallo May and the guy from the Bear TV show.
Speaker 2: I know you said that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's some random dudes. I don't know. They don't seem they both do good work. But I honestly, like side by side, I would not have any idea which one was which. Which is sad but true.
Speaker 2: What's going on with your voice over there? In mind too? Like what it's the weather. Let's blame it on the weather because it's been so crazy.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's true. I'm staying keeping a distance. I'm clean, I've been sanitized, martinized. Everything is good. I have no fever, no worries. Everything is great. Although there is a lot of flu out there. Yeah, you know, a lot of people kind of it.
Speaker 2: By the way, Oh gosh, I have friends that have it. By the way, the eighty third annual eighty third Annual Golden Globes are on tonight eight o'clock CBS.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, all right, So straight away your twelve thirty reports. Sandy Collins has an update on what's going on around planet Earth. It's busy, including stuff here in the Tri State. Doctor Donna Schleck will join us. She's the former head of political science at right State now professor Mereda. We'll get the latest on what's going on with protest against ice and engagements with population here Stateside, all over the country, Minneapolis as well. And then of course, you know, as you mentioned, shopping for Greenland. We've got Venezuela on the table. We're getting there a while apparently. And what else the Syria. We did some bombing in Syria yesterday and overnight, right, so that's happening. She may have some stuff on that. And did I mention Iran where the protests just keep growing and in the midst of the shaking of the tree and the president saying we've got your back, perhaps there is another spring of sorts in the Middle East and maybe people will get a little taste of freedom in Iran again. So we'll see, we'll pick her about all that and more coming up straight away your twelve thirty report. She's donnade I'm Sterling in this as seven hundred WLW an international World Affairs and Politics.
Speaker 3: How are you at?
Speaker 1: Sterling and donnade back seven hundred WLW for your Sunday Afternoon. Former had a political science at Wright State, now professor of Merida. It's spent about ten years in Minneapolis. Believing she may have gone to school there. I may have done some work there. I know she vacationed there recently because we talked to her and there were mosquitos the size of small cars.
Speaker 3: In the woods. Doctor Dona Schlecheck.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to seven hundred WLW with Sterling and Donnadee.
Speaker 5: How's everything, Hi, Sterling, Hello Donna, Spinning plates and circuses. Yes, I think we've all bought a ticket. We have.
Speaker 1: I know I didn't ask you specifically about Iran and Syria since we pinged a text scheduling you today. But before we get to Minnesota, before we get to the ice protest across the country and everything else, what I would like to know is Iran this is good for the world, perhaps in our involvement in the president saying that he would support the protesters in this situation as things continue to escalate in that situation. And we can also mention Syria too, We did some bombing there in the last twenty four hours. Anywhere you want to go, it's your choice.
Speaker 5: It is time to return our attention to the Middle East, and on the good news on hamas Is even saying that when the next phase starts, they're dismantling their governance apparatus, so good news. The strikes in Syria were clearly defined to be punitive against ISIS multiple targets across Syria. The subtle signals seemed to be that there may have been consultation with Syria because the new government there is trying to get control of the country and ISIS is their biggest enemy. So this is actually the sideways version of trying to help the new government of Syria after offsad regimes, brutal treatment, to get their country back together again. And it's obviously the Israelis will be involved as well. There's talk about settling some of their border disputes. It's a mixed picture. But the two Americans killed there a couple of weeks ago were Hawkeye National Guardsmen, and so we named the strike the retaliatory strike against them. The bigger picture that you mentioned, though, what's happening in Iran? Have people? Finally, it's interesting like Venezuela, oil, wealthy country, big population, and yet horrendous economic circumstances, inflation, terrible cost of living, sanctions, more sanctions, more sanctions, and yet with the means there to do well by their people. What happens when a third of your people have to leave the country because of the utter, incredibly bad mismanagement of the economy. That's what in Venezuela, That is the migration component. Link to our grievances with Venezuela. But you know, we also have a very large Iranian expact community in California in particular, which is where the grandson of the Shaw lives and is now offering to come back and help a transition to democracy in Iran. These are some of the strangest plates I've seen spinning in a long long time. That was the Shaw of Iran that we allowed to come here when he fled his country under Jimmy Carter to receive health treatment. But that's what triggered the hostage crisis in nineteen seventy nine. So these things are so interconnected. How do we help the people of Iran? I don't know. I think certainly we have a better picture in terms of Venezuela. Try to put the wealth of the country back to serving the people of Venezuela.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I have a question. What do you do if you're in oilzec and President Trump would like you to invest tens of billions that's with a B as in billions of dollars to rebuild your oil infrastructure in a country as unstable and uncertain as Venezuela. That has to be President Trump has recently been consulting with the execs of Conocomobile, Exon, Exon Mobil, excuse me, Conco, Phillips, and Chevron. He wants them to take the lead in rebuilding the infrastructure. How is your business? Do you make a massive investment in a country where there is no law, there is no order?
Speaker 4: Question?
Speaker 5: We have to go back to those first questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just saying we have to have policing of some sort on the ground in that situation. Exon, for instance, mentioned in that public hearing that usually that type of conversation I think is private. So it was bizarrely awkward in the way that we got to watch that whole thing in the roundtables sort of go down the other day. But talking to a former head of political science now Professor Merida Wright, State doctor Donashleke was Stirling and Donnadee on the big one. So they would want assurances that they're not going to have everything that they put together there be taken for the That would be the third time it's happened twice to them, So that's part of it, I guess right. It is guaranteeing that opportunity to suck that black gold out of the ground and split that resource with the people in Venezuela and obviously every everybody else who has a hand in it.
Speaker 3: For profit, right, that is the goal.
Speaker 5: But there are hundreds of billions of dollars. It's been twenty years that this infrastructure has been not maintained, over produced. They now produce five to ten percent of the oil that they used to be capable of. So a massive investment. Who will guarantee that? Will it be the ships offshore or I think the thing that worries most American is Americans is will it be troops on the ground. Right The question now what we're watching and we're waiting is to see how the Venezuelan leadership can this new acting president Delci comes out. Can she convinced that let's say two sectors, defense and the interior, the police and the military. Can they convince her to work with the Americans. That's the conversation going on right now. She was a manager for Maduro, you know, for a decade. She knows the economic picture, but she's not controlling the two big components that we need to work with us to make this intervention happen. And that's that's literally what we are waiting to see what they choose, how they choose to proceed. She's well connected with all the other elites in the country. But Defense and the interior, the police, you know, the the intel forces, the prisons, et cetera. What will they do, how will they will they participate in this or will the United States have to use more force? And that's when we hit the real rubicon, that that that point where our boots on the ground going to be required. President Trump promised no more forever wars, uh, you know, no more interventions. Well, here we are with the national security interest, energy, migration, the mineral purity.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. And so doctor Dona, there's the minerals in Venezuela. They're definitely going to be capturing that and the oil as well. But do we have the wherewithal to be able to, you know, take Greenland in the Venezuela and run that country, and and and all the things going on with Iran and Ukraine. I mean, the list goes on and on. How are we doing all this? And you know, what do you see? What do you see happening? Especially with Greenland? That's an interesting scenario.
Speaker 5: Greenland may be the most interesting piece of all of this because if it does come to military action, Donna, what happens to NATO. It's it has been, you know, one of those that that's one of the pillars of our foreign policy since World War Two. Our major trading partners in Europe and of course the other major trading partner in Asia, which would be China. That relationship with NATO has been, it's been, it's been a fall mark. And to raise the question there about taking by force someone with whom you have a treaty agreement, We have access rights. We've had access rights basically since two or three years when we established NATO. So what is the larger objective? The Donroe doctrine as he's calling it, you know, basically saying the western hemisphere, North in South America are for the United States. But since World War Two we've been a global power. We've never confined ourselves to the western hemisphere. We're global power. And it reminds me when I lived in Minneapolis as a student, you know, studying diplomatic history, the wars between states, World War two, a world war, trying to build a global system based more on cooperations, security agreements, prevention of conflict, management of conflicts. So we're not facing another massive, potentially nuclear conflict. So, Donna, that is the question Congress is asking, what is the plan? What is the objective? Do we have the means? Do we have public support for this? You know, whether it's an intervention in Vietnam at the end of World War II, Afghanistan after nine to eleven. Those are the questions Congress is supposed to be asking, which is why we have legislation that's bubbled up in the Senate just this past week about returning to a debate about the war powers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's authority in control? Correct? I mean that's always the thing that goes with it.
Speaker 1: A former head of political science at Right State now, Professor Merit to doctor Donnas Schleck was sterling and Donna Dee on the big one. I didn't mean, are up at a time is short and we want to talk a little bit about the ice protest Minneapolis and so forth. But before we get to that in about a short order a couple two three minutes. Response possibly, I have a question because I've heard so many conversations people with way much more insight into the history of this and you are one of those, which is why we have you here, and we think about our conquest, our acquisitions, our territories globally, how this country was started. Are some of the public conversations and comments made by the president that he's taking such grief on, regardless of political ideology, just objectively, honestly, if people can look at it, is this the kind of conversation and strong arm gangster stuff that this country has been doing from the beginning, but behind closed doors, giving other figureheads or leaders an opportunity to look like it was a teamwork group decision where we have sort of said, look, we're going to take it. You may as well be in front of this and look like you want to be a part of this, rather than having it out in the open now where we're getting so much hate. Do we know that because it does seem very gangster like.
Speaker 5: The conversations with the oil industry has been going on. That is not new since certainly the summer when the build up in the Caribbean started. But there's a hard question in the middle of this. Does the oil industry want back in, want to reclaim and rehabilitate their infrastructure and begin exploring and further developing venezuel as the world's biggest known oil reserves. Yes, absolutely, utterly. Has military might often backed corporate presence in countries around the world world. That's what we call diplomatic history, it's what we call gunboat diplomacy. Yes, protecting those American investments, it's one of the reasons why we intervened in Panama and brought Noriega here because of the importance, particularly of the canal. That's always been the quiet case behind the massive investments. The military will back and protect your American corporate investments, but who is asked to actually do the defending and in public opinion, American public opinion is now very skeptical of interventions, boots on the ground, and conflicts that appear to go on endlessly, that they have a painful memory, a short term one, right, Afghanistan in mind, and putting Iran on that list as well. These are we don't have a lot of success stories to point to. Do we you know, good models for intervention and in agement and happy outcomes without a loss of a lot of loss of life. So the Americans who were asked to actually do the defending are not part of the corporate decision to you know, to intervene. But this is this has not been sprung on the oil industry. They have seen this coming. We didn't start talking about oil until very late in the case. If you've noticed, Yeah, well it was it was just it was a quick sell. It was drugs, it's immigration, it's this and that, and with Greenland, it's just well we know what's under the ground, even though as you mentioned, we already have some relationship. But that whole idea of the easy way or the hard way is it's a it's a bold conversation that I just wonder historically, president after president, diplomat after diplomat across you know, the territories in the world, et cetera, that we probably had private conversations that have been more gangster like rather than open conversation publicly in front of cameras for the world to hear us sounding very similar to those countries that we say are our enemies because of the way they go about their business. In protest in Iran sort of echo that. Now, if we can circle back around, I'd like to know about the glow or the national protest, whether it's Cincinnati or Dayton or Louisville, Indianapolis, across the country to Minneapolis, of course, where the shooting happened, of that woman who was taken out by an ICE officer, and the question of legality and investigation in the midst of either entangling with what ICE was doing or overreaction or whatever, is that the investigation continues. You were in Minneapolis. There's a lot of good people there.
Speaker 1: I almost went it, almost took a job there and spent I probably spent about a month there. Overall, it is not the blight that a lot of people have tried to point the camera on and say that it's a horrible place. It's a wonderful place. It just have twelve days a summer as all. It's not enough warm weather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, it can be a month long if you're really fortunate living that far north, but it is. It's you know, the people who settled there, you know, Norwegians, Swedes, German, Irish. It reminded me so much of Sweden when I would travel there as well. Hard working, kind of reserved, real work ethic, strong communities. Despite what some television shows talk about, it was not burned to the ground because of George Floyd protests, but that left Minneapolis particularly sensitive, you know, to this level of violence in the public. I just caught the mayor of Minneapolis with the police chiefs, whom they recently brought in from New York City, you know, talking about the work that's been done since the Floyd protests and how hard they've worked to you know, to make friends in the community, which is how police saying. You know, we know this in Cincinnati, if the police are well liked, thought of, there's cooperation in the community, then they will work with you on problems. If it's gun violence, you know, whatever it might be. That relationship has been rebuilt in Minneapolis. You know, the economy is strong. I have to tell you and Donna, what's troubled me most lately about the coverage is the description of the protester as a domestic terrorist. And having studied it and taught terrorism a lot, so much of the definition of terrorism goes down to the question of what was the intention? Did that woman intend to engage in a violent act to hurt law enforcement or a government official and to alter in the long run public opinion. I don't think she was. I don't think that's what she was doing. I saw the video many times, no doubt, Like both of you, it looks like she was trying to leave the scene at a very low rate of speed. And as things do, they get out of hand very quickly, and we've seen a loss of life. The reaction in Minneapolis has been and powerful, and it does reflect what happened there after George Floyd and you know, the twenty twenty, that dark period. A lot of us would like to try to just put in a little box and put it away in our recent memory. But the question of you know, was she a domestic terrorist. Was she a citizen wanting to exercise her First Amendment rights? Definitely? Wrong place, wrong time, How quickly things escalate, and now they've cost you know, a mother her life, no long criminal record there. I think it does her an injustice to call her a terrorist, and it probably further compounds the pain that she and her family are feeling. But the public has been you know, they're talking with their feet, they're on their streets, they're commenting, they're protesting. It looks like President Trump dhs the responses to perhaps double down again, and perhaps this is the time to take that deep breath and to go slow, both in terms of ICE and in terms of Venezuela in particular. You know, the care that we need to take, the difficulty for law enforcement in whatever capacity, a Cincinnati police officer with a shooting down and over the rhine and ice ice agents in Minneapolis. When we train law enforcement and give them deadly force, we have certain expectations, don't we. So this is why I mean here we all are saying, well, let us perhaps do a good investigation and finally get to the bottom and find out what went wrong and how to do better. Certainly what we'd like to how to do better. I think the signal to Minneapolis, and perhaps people in the middle or the left side of the political spectrum right now might be in the middle of all of this confusion. Perhaps we could go back to square one and talk about an immigration system that works better for all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be good too. And peace still protest and there's a difference. And also, you know, allowing law enforcement to be able to clearly have themselves identified invisible, not that this case was one where people didn't know who they were, but that's also a conversation I think to be had too. We're out of time. It's always good to talk to you, to get into your head, your experience, and your insights. Doctor Donna Schleck, she's a Cincinnati kid, former head of political science now professor may at Wright State University in Dayton. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Thanks for making time for us today.
Speaker 5: Thank you both.
Speaker 2: Thank you, doctor Donna.
Speaker 3: Take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: But Sterling and Donnade coming back to your chance to get interactive, a lot of other stuff to get to a little bit later, some AI talk and what the future may hold. It's not as scary, or maybe it is more scary than what we're making up. Time for News Now home of the best Bengals coverage and your Cincinnati rat seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, whatever you're doing. It feels like winter again. It'll feel warmer in the next couple of days. It's whiplash weather. It utes to it, and they'll be playing baseball in the desert in just weeks.
Speaker 2: I don't know where bring my jacket, put a scarf on. You know, I came in here the other day with just a nice sweatshirt on.
Speaker 1: It's true, I remember and now looks it's what happens sometimes the Bearcats in action, some hoops. A little bit later on they'll take on Central Florida. They're on the road in Orlando. That's a five o'clock tip. Pre He gave about four thirty here seven hundred WLW X one last night that it was providence. They handled fairly easily. And you know who has a go Fundme page and one of the best actors I think of his generation who I don't know if it was the acting he something happened to Mickey Rourke.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I stick surgery is one of them.
Speaker 1: Right, and there's a go fundme page. We've got Dan Elijah, some mothers wanting to get interactive. We're gonna get the phones here in just a second, So don't go anywhere. Boys and Room for you five one, three, seven, four nine seven, eight hundred, the big One. If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, I want to leave a message, you click on the microphone. It's simple. My mom figured it out. You can it's easy, and you can talk back there as well. So Mickey Rourke has a fundme, a go fundme page, but he didn't do it. He apparently said hard times and I think he was boxing for some years, if I'm not mistaken. He really enjoyed boxing. And his face got all busted up and he looks.
Speaker 2: Worse than he did because it's hard wrestler he was. He women loved him early on nine and a half weeks. I mean, you know he was amazing Angel Heart.
Speaker 1: I mean yes, I mean he's a Greenwich village, yes.
Speaker 2: But the wrestler later on, even with all that plastic surgery, was a great movie. I think he was nominated at least for one of the Award shows. I think it was an Oscar I have to look at that incredible movie. So I did not know this, So somebody started ago. I saw an interview with him where he couldn't pay for his apartment or whatever. So that's what's going on, right.
Speaker 3: He was being evicted exactly.
Speaker 1: And some people, because you know, we get close to the people that we watch and we listen to and connect, and there were people with a good heart. They're like, well, we'll help Mickey Rourke out. They get a go fundme page, they want to help him stay in his apartment, give him a little cushion to get it together because the acting is not like it was, and he's getting a little long in the two. He's an old bastard and let's just be honest, and we all hope to live that long. But the thing that was amazing to me is then that he came out he didn't understand the GoFundMe, and then he was also I think somewhat embarrassed and offended. In fact, he said as much. He says, this is embarrassing. I don't want anybody's charity get your money back. I didn't do this, I don't want this. I don't even understand this.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, wild, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Like, I'll handle it on my own. He's getting another apartment apparently downsizing, which is what you have to do.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a little respectable, you can see, you know. I mean, I'll get my I'll pick myself up by my bootstraps. You know, you always admire people that will do that. But every now and then, now and then, yeah, I mean why not. I mean I don't even need to help right now. Take the money. And also there's another gofund me that's yet some attention. Yeah, well, we we've been mentioning. Doctor donnish Leahek was on with us just a minute ago and she was talking about, you know, the protesters in Minnesota, Yeah, exactly in Minneapolis against Ice and and obviously this is all stemmed from the death of Renee Good, a thirty seven year old mother of three. She was killed during the encounter with Ice, and so there was a GoFundMe for her kids because they're they're you know, left without a mom now and they've raised over one point five million. They were asking fifty thousand dollars for the initial GoFundMe and they've raised one point five million.
Speaker 1: Her children a lot of people from around the enture and wanting to contribute to that. And some people are a little disgusted and irritated because you know, tons of videos come out. Everyone's seen it, including the officer who was involved in the actual shooting his video from his phone.
Speaker 2: And the things that he said. There's that at the very end, calling her in you know, right, a terrible word.
Speaker 3: A terrible word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so there are people saying that it's inexcusable that there should be no money raised because you know, she was engaging and trying to run down cops and so forth or ice agents in this situation. It's a wild thing because you depending on the angle, and sadly, I think perspective, there's no objectivity. Like if you could get a jury, it'd be difficult to find people who said would say that they could be impartial to look at evidence if in fact, this was ever going to be adjudicated, go to court and see whether it was a good shooting or a bad shooting. I mean, it's an odd thing to say, and not because of the attention drawn, but because the opinions already made.
Speaker 2: The political parties that that that that line where you're you know, you see it one way because you're skewed for the ice agents, and you see it other for your screw skewed for the protest that I will sit screwed skewed. No, And I don't mean to laugh at this because it's a horrible, horrible situation, and you know there's there's a mother left head. I don't think you should be taunting anybody. People say she was taunting and and and and things like that, but there certainly doesn't need to be three bullets in her head, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: So I just want to curious about your one. Have you given the gofunny thing? If you were Mickey Rourke? Would you give the dough back if you could understand what was going on? And then part of that is pride. I think it's one of those seventh things, seventh sin, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know, if you need the money, you take the money. It may to help you.
Speaker 1: Maybe just wants to work. I mean you know that that's the thing. Give him a job, let him do some work. But he's a little sure, little banged up. I'm a little scary looking too, and I didn't have my face all beatn You know that that's a whole other thing. And in this case, of course she's the woman good was killed. She's got the widow. Now, I don't know how you say that. If it's the same sex couple, it's still a widow, right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they were married were if they were married, it would I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to be disrespivet I don't know. I don't know the rules of that. If it's a.
Speaker 2: Partner is left without her so and the kids are left for you.
Speaker 1: Just jump right beyond it to get to like a common sense kind of a solution. I want to know, is it a widow or a widower? That's the problem, is that in my head, I just want to know semantics in today's world. Five point three seven four nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one your chance to get interactive and coming up after two o'clock. By the way, Jeffrey Schaefer, who may have the longest bit of title and business card information to share. I have ever heard half the page that you gave me. It's ridiculous. Just wait till you get to the intro. He is an expert in an artificial intelligence, and so we'll talk to him about all things AI and what the future may hold, because they say that what we're facing in the next five to ten years the most dramatic change in human history in advancement. I don't know what that means for us. I don't either, and I want to know because it's our future. It's going to be an interesting conversation. Yeah, five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred, the Big One. And then we got a Dan first, Elijah Larry and others with your chance to speak your mind on a Sunday Sterling and Donnade on the Big One.
Speaker 3: Dan, what do you have? Appreciate you listening and holding what's going on?
Speaker 7: Hey, love your show, always have Thank you.
Speaker 6: To the point, these are people, the whole Minnesota thing, Renette Good, the ICE Agent, they're people. My brother is a psychologist who works with police officers and PTSD. My sons, both of them our military and have seen action in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have seen PTSD upfront and personal and it is not something to be treated lightly. And at ICE Agent obviously had some of that going on. But this country is founded on freedom of speech, in the right to be able to protest in the manner in which.
Speaker 7: It's done varies greatly. There was one point in my life where I was whipped to a froth over a particular situation. I won't get into all that, but I know.
Speaker 6: What it's like when people who have power over other people get them excited and get them doing things that they probably normally wouldn't do. So but it really still comes down to these are people and to a point and say this is a domestic terrorist or this or that.
Speaker 7: They're operating within the freedoms.
Speaker 6: Allowed by the country, and that ICE agent had probably been cleared for work. So one of the problems with freedom of speech and freedom to protest is that this kind of situation can occur where two decent people got into something that is not decent. No one wins. That police officer will never recover from this. We have a friend of the family who shot somebody in Clifton and that guy will never get over it. He was a police officer of good standing, and it again, you know situation where the car was a major threat. If you've been hit by a car, you know what it feels like, and having just come off of that, you can understand well, and.
Speaker 1: That's the thing he was dragged and had what thirty his stitches or more in that arm. I mean, the question would be, as you say, clear to come back to duty, and you kind of wonder in a combative situation if you should have been placed in that for his own well being, let alone a demonstrator or demonstrators who may cross the line or hit him emotionally or have him be fearful for his life. Again, because most of us have never had a weapon discharged in our general direction or a vehicle driven at us, and what could be considered a threatening way and new question also the training of do you get it in front of or behind a moving vehicle where you put yourself in jeopardy or get them later too. I mean, there's so many layers to this that seem to have been lost in a lot of the conversation that people have. Dan fantastic hallity perspective and very thoughtful. We appreciate you listening and being a part of the show. Seriously, thank you.
Speaker 2: Take idea of one thing he did say that that that just you know, made me think too, they are both human beings and and and put in a tense situation like that, especially with someone who does have PTSD. You think about it, if it's if he's been hit before, there's got to be something, whether he's cleared or not, there's going to be something that he reacts to. Yeah, and uh, and and that was certainly maybe maybe that needs to be looked at big time.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: You know, there's so many questions about how, you know, the ice moving forward and how they go about their business, because they're doing work that needs to be done in some fashion in the way policing is done in a certainly protesting whether you're just on the street in the midst of traffic, caught up in the weirdness that is maybe something happening, or wanting to actually engage and either put yourself between the law enforcement and whatever they're going to do their work. About interference and engagement, Uh, there's a lot Yeah, I mean physically involving them, threatening them in some fashion. But also you would hope that professionals in the business of policing in general, regardless of which level, organization or otherwise, one would hope that they would also have that ability to not let verbal assaults and comments get them emotionally charged to where they would make a decision they would not otherwise do reasonably.
Speaker 2: Right, and when you when your training is cut in half, even more so, that might be a critical point of being able to police people without emotionally getting when you've got whistles, loud whistles and honking of horns and people in your face saying get out of here and all that other stuff. You have to be if you're going to be out there, you have to be able to maintain that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Let's get Sandusky. Elijah, Tanya or Tanya. I don't know which. We'll find out. Usually I don't know there was I knew what Tan, I don't know one t I don't know it is Elijah. I know that for sure. You're with Stirling and Donna deal on the big one. Thanks for holding what do you have?
Speaker 8: Yes, I was calling in to talk about, you know, in regard to the killing of Renee Good, which obviously I don't wish that she was killed, obviously nobody does, because she was deadly behind three kids. But the same hand, the reason.
Speaker 4: She was shot was because she did if you watch the.
Speaker 8: Videos, but that she did strike that ice officer with her vehicle. But it's very clearly shows that, and some people will say that maybe you should have been standing in front of her or maybe whatever, But she did have her vehicle parked perpendicular to traffic, obstructing federal agents, which is a crime. And obviously the reason what she was was a protest. But when you protest, you have to protest lawfully. You can't break the law when you're protesting, because alviously that's the crime. And so I believe the officer was justified in shooting because, no doubt, we feared, and you know rightly, so he feared for his own lives because obviously having a vehicle driven at you and being struck, regardless of the speed that you were struck at, being struck by a vehicle would definitely make you fearful for your life. And then so that's that's that's why he decided, in a split second, he had to make a split second decision to pull the trigger. And now everyone obviously wishes he didn't have to make that decision.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he himself would.
Speaker 8: Not want would if you could go back, would try to avoid making that decision. But at the time, he believed for his own safety it was the right decision. And I think the more concerning thing is is the reason why these Super Bowl producing it wasn't because they really think that that this certain officer was out to kill them or obviously there's no he had no mal intent. And I don't really think that monet good, which he started her morning, was the change to go and run over an ice officer. But also I don't believe the narrative you see pushed in mainstream media that says that she was just happened to be caught up in the midst of, you know, a traffic jam and she was just you know, picking up her kids from you know, I don't know, Somali daycare and she just.
Speaker 3: Got caught in the traffic jam. Really, it just dropped the Somali daycare and everything.
Speaker 2: And I mean, Elijah, you were making sense a little bit there, but in my opinion, you've gone off.
Speaker 3: But I heard one thing about Elijah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard one thing about her just moseying along and getting stuck in traffic.
Speaker 1: Some people were saying that she dropped the kids off and was just stuck in traffic. But it's clear that there was an attempt by for documentation and video. Her wife or whatever was outside of the.
Speaker 2: Vehicle she was protesting.
Speaker 1: For sure, I don't and I've seen how many videos, and I don't necessarily buy the fact that she was running over the guy. She hit the gas and was trying to maneuver.
Speaker 2: He trying to maneuver he was in front of the car.
Speaker 1: I just I want an objective, fair investigation and allowing Minnesota also their authorities to be able to look at that too. I think that's more than reasonable and rational, and then you can sort of make a decision or at least those people in positions of you know, power and authority can look at training and what they did and how they went about their business. Good shooting or bad shooting. I don't think anybody got up and wanted to have somebody go home dead.
Speaker 2: That That's what I agree with him about. He didn't plan, She didn't plan to go and get you know, get involved in get and get shot that morning at a protest.
Speaker 1: So it's just it's just a horrible thing. You don't want law enforcement in that situation. You don't want protesters in that situation. But we knew the outset of all of this, with the deportations and a serious effort to go after people. It was going to get really nasty, really dirty people's lives, children, people ingrained in the community that have lived here in some cases for decades. There's high level of passion and in concern and going into schools and it's difficult. It's just, you know, you would think that there might be a better, more reasonable, rational way to go about this business in general. But here we are, and I'm sort of surprised that I haven't had more UH engagements that have turned sour like this over time, and you just hope that that's not the case for anyone period. Let's get to Mason and Tanya or is Tanya or Tanya Tanya Tanya.
Speaker 9: It's Donya.
Speaker 3: I thought, sod on the big one. What's going on? What do you think?
Speaker 9: Okay, So, just to throw this out there, I'm I am a rehabbed criminal. I used to commit crimes. I've been to prison. I've actually one of the ones that have changed my life, and I'm a productive member of society now.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 10: When I was younger, in.
Speaker 9: My teenage years, I protested for the death penalty in Missouri, for the abolition of the death penalty. Never did we interfere with this the staff of the prison. We didn't go there with the intentions to do things like that.
Speaker 10: We were just protesting.
Speaker 9: And I feel like when you intentionally put yourself in a situation where the ice officers are doing one particular thing. They're not patrolling the streets, they were there to do one particular thing, you, as a citizen, take yourself and intentionally put yourself there, knowing that it could get a little out of hand, and you're going there to entice and to interfere with what they're doing. You're not allowed to do that. You're not allowed to interfere with law enforcement. And people are forgetting that.
Speaker 2: ICE is not just ice.
Speaker 9: Ice are federal law enforcement officers. So just like if me and you were to get pulled over, we're not necessarily arrested at that time, but we are detained. We're not allowed to just leave. We're not allowed to just do what we want. If we're asked to identify ourselves, we have to. So if me as a criminal back in the day, I didn't fight with the police whenever they pulled me over and asked me for my ID, I would have been putting myself in a worse situation than I was already in So whenever a law enforcement officer, whether it's county, city, federal, if they tell you to stop, you're supposed to stop. Yeah, So when he stood in front of her car and told her to stop, she should have stopped.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 9: I mean, granted, if he would have moved out in front of her car, she could have ran away. Later they could have ran her, placed with to her house and got her. She wouldn't be dead, he wouldn't be facing these allegations.
Speaker 5: But that's what happened.
Speaker 9: He was trying to get her to stop because he was a law enforcement officer telling her to stop. Now, the video before, we don't know. Video before, we don't know if she was throwing things like what we've seen on television, people throwing things at them, trying to break into where they're at, trying to stop them from going, throwing bricks at their cars. We don't know what was happening before the video we see, but we do see a federal law enforcement officer telling someone who is impeding their duties to stop, and she didn't.
Speaker 10: She hit the gas.
Speaker 9: YEP, me and you and anyone else in the world. If we feel like someone is getting to hit us with a corn. We have a gun in our hands, we might shoot.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're in fear for your life, I mean that's the thing, and they are trained to stop the threat. I mean that that's sort of the way it goes. We'll see how the investigation goes.
Speaker 3: Tony.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you got your life together and your perspective means everything. We're just against the wall in time here. We appreciate it. Hope you'll call again. We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Well, that was totally agree with her. There's a lot of what she said because you have to pay attention to the rule of law.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, John and Jerry, Larry others.
Speaker 1: Room for you. You're seven or seven thirty. I'm dyslexic. I'm looking at it, says one twenty seven. You're one thirty reports straight away more Sterling and Donna d coming back here. Seven hundred WLWD hanging out seven hundred WLW Sad day for dead fans, music fans all over the place. Bob Weirs left us seventy eight years old complications of lung issues after a cancer was beaten and apparently the lungs. What a great body of music and really I mean from just the jam band thing and so many great players and so much history.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's such tough, so many psychedelics, so many.
Speaker 3: Are you saying that there might have been some pharmaceuticals cause I.
Speaker 2: Seen maybe, but I've never been to a Dead show, so I can't be one hundred percent sure.
Speaker 3: I don't know how that's possible.
Speaker 2: I mean, weird to think, no, is it? I mean, well, what happens is just like your friend we talked about it earlier, you go to a Grateful Dead show and then you just follow them.
Speaker 4: I never did.
Speaker 3: I was always a fan. I never did it.
Speaker 1: But she like, she went on her Mary Way and on the road and then she's well adjusted, professional mom, handle her business.
Speaker 2: It's their music, it's their vibe, it's the culture, it's everything. When you go to a Grateful Dead show.
Speaker 1: A couple of friends I've done this over the years. They'd hit the road. They'd be like, we're gonna be in Chicago, will be back in Cincinnati with their at Riverbed or whatever.
Speaker 3: You comment.
Speaker 1: Were we in the lot making like burritos. I'm like, it's a liner day thing. Burritos in the lot. I don't know about necessarily, but people loved them a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's uh, let's we got some people holding.
Speaker 1: And then of course right before the break, we were talking to Tanya, yes.
Speaker 2: And you know, we didn't have time to comment on her comment because Tanya had a lot of good points. When you know, police officers, federal agents and things like that tell you to do something, you do it. I have always adhered to that. I mean, I know civil rights is a big deal, and I don't want my civil rights violated too. But if an officer says pull the car over, I'm gonna put my over and I'm going to handle my drik whatever it is, and then if I have an issue, I'll take it up. Yeah, I'll fight it later, but in the meantime. But it's the same thing, Sterling. If like I don't antagonize drivers. If somebody comes and I'm not driving fast enough for them, which happens and comes in tailgates me, I'm going to get out of the way of that driver, and I'm not going to slow down just to irritate him because he's irritating me literally get but I mean, you know, circumstances are different, but I do my very best in this life to not inflame other people's because people are crazy right.
Speaker 1: Now, just in general hostility, you know what we're there's a fine line. I see the hostility, but I also in some ways and I make a point to go out of my way to be friendly and nice and talkative, which is hard for me because I am very shy, which it is bizarre but true. I know, uh that may sound weird, but people get really aggressive, really fat.
Speaker 2: And flip a switch on somebody if you try, and you know, antagonize somebody.
Speaker 1: And people are really quick to the gun. And that doesn't necessarily mean professionals, It just means everyday people. So you don't really know what you're dealing with, whether it's on seventy one seventy five or the parking lot at the grocery store otherwise, let alone engaging in active law enforcement doing their business. I am time and place for protest in the right way, but it can be dangerous. Five point three, seven four nine, seven, eight hundred The Big One, your chance to get interactive. Rafael's coming up. Jerry starts in room for you on seven hundred. W welw was Sterling and Donna d Jerry thanks for holding what do you have?
Speaker 11: Yes, Donna would be too young to remember this, but the first time I heard of Mickey Rourke was when actor Bob Conrad, Robert Conrad of the Wild Wild West TV series Who've done his own stunts. He was doing a commercial for Energizer batteries and he placed an eight pack on his shoulder and during the commercial at the end, he said, and I dare anyone to come and ID to knock it off of my shoulder. That's right, And Mickey Rourke responded and said he would do it, and Robert Conrad said, bring him on. Now. That's as far as I ever found out. I wanted to follow it up, but I never found out what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, I would love to know, because so this wasn't an act like in real life. He encountered Conrad and was like, I'll take that those batteries off your shoulder. Yeah, I would like to see that too, because I think at one time or another, Mickey Rourke liked to mix it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: It sounds sounds.
Speaker 11: Like I was very young at the time and I was biased because Robert Conrad was a hero of mine. I watched his Western movies and TV series. But I would also like to know how that turned out.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. We'll have to do some research and find out. Jerry, thank you.
Speaker 3: I do know that.
Speaker 1: Conrad also, I just watched it. It's weird because I like the old Columbo. He did a Columbo where he played a murderer who was like a fitness expert who was cheating the company and he was just killing people because he could.
Speaker 2: There is no record that mickeyro actually knocked the ever Ready battery off Robert Conrad's shoulder in real life. So there's the answer.
Speaker 1: There's artificial intelligence for you. We got the answer. Speaking of which, Jeffrey Schaeffer. He's a director of the applied AI lab that you see, and a whole lot of other credentials we'll get to later after two o'clock talking about our future with artificial intelligence. Also, Angeanette Leaving, a lovely, talented, well informed former anchor reporter here in town, still here based if I'm not mistaken, works for long crime. We're gonna get into her head after two thirty five. Talk about the Columbus dentist who has ties. I think he spent time living in Mason and his wife, who were murdered allegedly by Ohio State medical grad who was in Chicago, who she was married to previously, now charged with both their murders. So we'll get into her head about that. I mean, this is just a weird That is a horrible story. And his oh my gosh, mugshot is just scary.
Speaker 3: I've heard that from a few people.
Speaker 2: He smokes his face, the look on that guy face, and then you see side by side the happy couple, they look so cute together. And then you see the mugs shot of the ex who, by the way, ran for eight days. It was a man hunt, and he's caught, and he's he's.
Speaker 1: Being held ahead. Oh my good covers tracks and do what was necessary. Thank goodness, lest the kids.
Speaker 3: And the dog.
Speaker 1: Though I'm not saying it was good that he did the killing allegedly that he did. I'm just saying, I mean, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thankfully he didn't take out the whole family.
Speaker 1: But I don't know anybody who's had a mugshot where they look good. I mean, well, if I had somebody take my mugshot now, just for fun, I'd give a sour face just to look like a bad ad.
Speaker 2: Well, this guy looks he looks crazy.
Speaker 12: He does.
Speaker 2: Look at Google it Google the mugshot of the alleged killer, alleged of the cute Columbus, Ohio couple.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, well see see this is the thing you humanize and soften because they're cute. If they were some hideous, ugly looking people and they were killing, you don't even go.
Speaker 3: Everybody, so many, so many people donaga.
Speaker 1: Well there are such a perfect couple, and it doesn't matter even if they weren't a perfect couple.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't have been gunned down.
Speaker 2: That should go without saying, I knock it off.
Speaker 1: I mean the Manngione guy or whatever, not like Chuck Manngoni, the guy you've gunned down allegedly the healthcare like a CEO or whatever right in New York. All the people coming out, he's so pretty, he's attractive, and all these people sending money to him because he's good looker or whatever. I mean, come on, that's horrible, it is you See, you pick your spots, don't you? Always good to talk to Rafael and bond Hill with Sterling and Donnade on the Big one and then Matt after that coming up too.
Speaker 3: What's up, Rafael. I appreciate you being here.
Speaker 13: Everything is good, Sterling and Dona d nice to hear you as always, you know, of course it's a you know, tragic story in Minneapolis. And and Donade, thanks for bringing up the Columbus couple too. That one kind of hurt too because the ex wife she moves on, you know, found you know, peace and love, family and this.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 13: And let me just refrain from calling you what I want to over the air, but control you know, hopefully justice will be served appropriately. Uh in Minneapolis, guys, and the sister of Nae Good, I've watched the videos, you know, constant times, uh, for different angles, different videos in her comments, you know, all around about But to see my take on it is is that I'm pro law enforcement.
Speaker 8: You're probably going to be hard pressed.
Speaker 13: To find anybody more a law for law enforcement than I. But in this case here, I'm very wary of this version of ice officers across the country as a whole up there in many now, Renee Good, she did not deserve to be shot to death that day. Uh, if it were me the officers who came up to the door initially, I'm getting out of the car. Now that's me if if Renee was, you know, wary of the situation of fraid here's Ice.
Speaker 4: I don't know what they're.
Speaker 13: Gonna do to me, or I got to get home, I got to get to work. That I don't know. But I will tell you guys this, the officer who killed her, the way he started filming around the back of the car, and Renee's partner and the license plate, and the way he strolled around that passenger side of the car to the front in a nonchalot manner. He knew damn well that those other Ice officers allegedly were at that door. But that guy who killed her had no in tension of letting her go away. And I'm going to say this point blank, I believe that it was all a setup to actually get in front of the vehicle to make an excuse for her as she pulled away, he was going to pull a trigger because I believe that no coincidence up in Minneapolis, the whole Somali fraud thing and the blue state and governor walls and all that. But I do believe that he intentionally when he walked around the car to go in front of the car.
Speaker 4: He could have moved.
Speaker 13: No officer with proper training is going to stand in front of a vehicle when he knows that other officers are trying to get the person to either hold on, don't go.
Speaker 4: Get out of the car.
Speaker 13: Whatever. He stood there, knowing full well that she was going to make a move. She turned the wheels of her vehicle away from him, and.
Speaker 4: He still shot her.
Speaker 13: There were two other vehicles at least that were able to go around them, or ice agents or her car. So the impeding uh law enforcement, that's bs. But you cannot put anything past this administration and this this that person in the over office. Well I got before, I told you before, Sterling, and we'll say it again. You can't put anything passing. He's lied his way through life to get to this point. He's staged two fake assassination.
Speaker 1: Attempt into the shallow end of the pool here.
Speaker 3: Now hold on a second.
Speaker 1: You can hear he's it's a it's a it's an upsetting cut. It's a little always appreciate the call, and we thank you. But I mean, first of all, I don't know that the president was on the ground Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was.
Speaker 1: Firstly, Secondly, you don't know what was in that law enforcement officers that ice agent's heart and in that moment, how afraid he was or wasn't and especially with what he went through not long ago that made became public because of litigation in the situation where he was dragged and had where he was reaching into a vehicle, had that arm caught up and I think it was thirty some stitches in that arm not long ago, and then back out their enforcement on the streets and engaging people like that. I don't know if I had been through what he had been through, if I would have one wanted to be there, or maybe I would have wanted to be there, And maybe I shouldn't be there because I might be a little too quick to want to retaliate or avoid a situation where I might be heard again or one of my others a uniform or public around. So I don't know. That's a lot of assumptions. What I would like to see is a clean, objective, honest investigation that's for everyone to be able to see with sunshine light all over it, Rather than people in positions of power and authority who had not seen the video that most of us have already been able to see subsequently, including that ICE agent's video from his phone making comments about what this woman good did or did not do, which were verifiably visible for anyone who has a device in hand to look at video. I just want it to be clean.
Speaker 2: Do you think we're gonna get that.
Speaker 1: I don't know what we're gonna get. I would hope that the FBI would do it the right way, and honestly, I would hope that Minnesota has a chance to be able to investigate it and get involved in it also, But I don't know. And as this continues and the policing continues, people need to take a deep breath and back off, and that includes the public wanting to protest, which is all right.
Speaker 2: It's getting worse, not I mean, it's getting more heated. Even if you heard Raphael, who is a caller that calls in quite a bit.
Speaker 3: And does support the police and everything else, you could, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Can hear it in his voice, the emotion that's coming out, and you see it on the streets of cities all across this country exactly. I mean, there's so this is going to get worse before it gets better, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt. He's heading to UK.
Speaker 1: That's University of Kentucky if you don't know, And welcome to seven hundred WLW. You're with Stirling and Donnade. Now you grew up in you're in Minnesota? And were you in the Twin Cities growing up or what part of the beautiful state where the Golden Gophers go?
Speaker 4: Heay, good afternoon.
Speaker 12: I grew up in southern Minnesota, about seventy miles south of the Twin Cities.
Speaker 3: Okay, but go ahead.
Speaker 12: I was going to say, I've just got over yelling at the radio when Rafleel was on. But I grew up in Minnesota. Minnesota's always been a kind of a fascinating political situation for those that are old enough. You remember we elected Jesse Ventura back in the nineties, So it's always been a little bit wild in Minnesota. But whether people like it or not, and I don't like the shooting any more than anyone else, it is legally justifiable. And I am stunned, stunned by the people who are armchair quarterbacking a super slow motion video or at a raphael questioning the position of the aged relative to the car. This woman was obstructing justice civil disobedience. To Tanya's point, it has consequences. Obstructing justice, obstructing lawful law enforcement activity has consequences. And what is mind boggling to me, as a former Minnesota resident, is within minutes you have Tim Waaltz, the governor, and Jacob Fray, the mayor of Minneapolis, calling this agent a murderer, and Walt's saying we are at war that is a direct quote, at war with the federal government. So this narrative that ICE agents are inciting this activity, this violence, is astounding, and I feel like as a society, holy smokes, we have fallen so far where we are so disrespectful of law enforce meant activity that is properly predicated, that we are physically prohibiting them from acting, which is what is happening right now on a daily basis with ICE particularly, and we're celebrating this.
Speaker 1: I don't know, and it's paying attention to Minneapolis right now.
Speaker 12: They're assaulting hotels that they think staying in. They are following these ICE agents from dawn to dust and doxing them personally. That's not getting a lot of press. What's getting oppressed is Unfortunately, this tragedy situation. The woman is dead. You know, no, I don't think anybody woke up that day thinking this is going to be the end of her or I'm going to shoot her.
Speaker 3: I would hope not too.
Speaker 12: As a society, I'm really disappointed.
Speaker 1: Great, great perspective and insights. I wish we could go further with you, but we're against the wall in time again fighting a clock, which is bizarre but true. Excuse me your two o'clock report straight away. More Sterling and Donna d coming back, appreciate the call in the perspective and certainly coming from Minnesota too. Jeffrey Schaeffer, director of the Applied AI Lab that you see, is going to join us. We'll talk on the future of artificial intelligence and what the big change they say, it's like monumental change like we've never seen in human histories in front of us. In the next five to ten years. We'll find out what that means. After the two o'clock report here on the Home of the Red seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, fineal hour together, that's fine Sunday afternoon, Sterling and Donnade hanging out. Lots happening NFL playoffs Bill's.
Speaker 2: And Bill's just scored. I don't even know what that was.
Speaker 1: And seven Bill's football is good today. Our sister of the Duke is a happy yeah in Buffalo now absolutely.
Speaker 2: I mean she's the biggest Buffalo fan. And I have got to root now the Bengals are out. I got a root for Buffalo.
Speaker 1: A lot of Buffalo fans in and around the trist Yeah, of course, and one of those two. You know, you know, the world is changing, and it change fast, and we've seen a lot of change. We went through, went from the video store to a mailing DVDs you know, to now streaming and every device in your hand.
Speaker 3: And now they're smart. They know what's going on.
Speaker 1: You don't have to like a Like when I first get on the internet and I was doing stuff for the radio station, I had to learn HTML. I was doing code to put up a website and it was an ugly website. Now anybody can anyone can do it. Technology is a beautiful thing. And we've seen over the years so many different changes in our society, from the invention of the telephone and the telegraph in the train, the steam mentioned vehicles, flight with the Wright brothers a lot of that done in and around the tri State, the Miami Valley. Certainly a lot of brain power here that have changed and improved the way we live and to what's coming in front of us, they say is like nothing we've ever seen. That in the next five to ten years, artificial intelligence will be the greatest change in human history when it comes to advancement of technology and how we live. And on the line from the University of Cincinnati, and it has been a challenge to catch up with him and get him, but his schedule, our schedule has worked out, Donna. I want to go through his title to do it appropriately, and I have talked over the years to a whole hell of a lot of people. Let me just tell you take a deep brattice on the line. Jeffrey Schaeffer, he is the director of the Applied AI Lab. Kirk and Jackie perry Or a Business Analytics Assistant Professor, Educator, Department of Operations, Business Analytics and Information Systems, Carl H. Lindner College of Business, University of Cincinnati. Let me take a breath. Jeff Schaefer, welcome to seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: How are you? How big is your business card?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. Yeah, you got it on there.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's huge.
Speaker 1: How much different in five years will the world look for us here in the Tri State. As I guess technology advances with artificial intelligence.
Speaker 4: It's going to look completely different. I mean, this is a paradigm shift like we haven't seen in our lifetime, and it's already started to happen. It's going to affect jobs, education, the way we do work, our productivity. It's going to be baked into every tool. It's going to be AI is going to be like electricity. You're just going to use it every day and sometimes you're going to know it's there and other times it's going to be behind the scene. It's it's really changing everything that we do.
Speaker 2: So you really we really can't talk about AI without mentioning Elon Mosca. I always I love hate with Elon and you know, he has come up with what's scary and exciting and all the all these things mixed emotions about what AI is going to bring to the population. The the optimist robot, the robot that's supposed to be in everybody's house, the thing that's going to clean your house, the thing that's going to walk your dog, the thing that's going to take care of your kids as a babysitter. What I mean, it's scary. And is everyone going to have one of these in the next ten years? Is everyone going to have like the Jetsons?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess I would say that. You know, if we step back for a minute, generative AI is really what took off. AI has been around for a very very long time. We've been using artificial intelligence for everything, and it happens like in your Amazon recommendations or your Netflix recommendations or your Spotify playlist. That's all AI behind the scenes. But what's really changed in the last few years is generative AI, right, and so now we can he mentioned HTML coding that he used to do. You can you can just ask your computer now to create a web page or to code for you to build an application. And so that generative piece. We can now create music and images and videos and code and all sorts of things that we couldn't do before. And the next extinction of that is going to be the real world. That's what everybody's kind of working on now is we're doing it at our laptop, we're doing it at our phone. But the next generational models will be able to have a real world representation. You know, it's not out there understanding the laws of physics and gravity and space and time and things like that. The humans are and so that is the next evolution. And so for sure people are working on that, like elon Musk where you will have humanoid robots that will activate. We already have self driving cars, you know, way Mo and Amazon has that and various other places, and so the natural extinction of that will be humanoid robots. And we already see that in places like Amazon and other factories that are already purchasing and buying those things.
Speaker 1: Talking to Jeff Schaeffer, he's the director of the Applied AI Lab University of Cincinnati. Was Stirling and Donnade on the big one. So you mentioned generative AI, and there is a difference, is there not from the AI that on our devices and our everyday lives and how it affects us and makes our lives maybe a little bit easier, simplifies our workflow. There's going to be another rationalization probably across every economic in industry type platform of the workforce. And it's a clean way of saying they're going to be job shed. So I guess my question is where does everyone go from here in five to ten years when so many jobs across just about everything will be no longer needed because obviously the people teams who are behind it and saying it's unstoppable and we're getting the data centers and we need it for our strategy globally and our enemies and everything else. I just wonder economically what that means for all of us. Where how do we afford to live in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great point. If you look back in society the Industrial revolution, they talk about how that replaced our muscles, right, and now in this AI revolution, it's replacing our cognitive loads, right, things that we don't do with our muscles, but things that have made humans better than machines. And so as we approach better and better machines, we call that artificial general intelligence when it can do general intelligence better than human beings, or super intelligence, where it's better than us at everything. That is a great question in the near future. I mean, as an educator, we're teaching AI. We run workshops at the University of Cincinnati and teach our students because we expect that students with the abilities of a will outperform the workforce that is not using AI, and so it becomes AI as an enhancement. But we're not too far away ten years where we will be making those decisions, and so then you wonder, you know, where does a human being you know, fit in? And so at the moment, we're trying to figure those things out. But right now it's a matter of training students, training the workforce up on the current tools, and keeping them up to date because the environment's changing so rapidly.
Speaker 2: I am reluctant to ask you this question because I'm afraid of the answer. But is there anything that scares you about AI in the next five years.
Speaker 4: I don't even have to go that far out. There's loads of things that scare me about AI today. I did an exercise in my graduate class last semester. I showed fifteen videos asking the students who are master students studying AI which videos were real and which videos were and the best students only got eight out of fifteen. And so it's a coin flip. They don't even know which videos are real or which videos aren't. So creating deep fakes, creating fake videos, creating fake images, creating fake sounds you don't even know that you're speaking to me, and so that'll be something in the future where that'll be really, really hard to tell. And so then you just take all the things that come from that, right, political and sexual, and all the problems that could occur with just with those simple things, right, like harassments and fake this and fake that, And so that scares me. And then you know, you think about what you asked earlier, is the future of the workforce? You know, I have two nineteen year old daughters. You know, what is the future of their work as you as you brought up what will they do if they aren't you know, if they're not going to be a computer programmer, or if they're not going to be an accountant that does the same job, What does that job look like in the next ten twenty years.
Speaker 2: I knew, I knew. I didn't want to hear the answer to that. I was, Oh, my god, scary.
Speaker 3: We are not the profits of doom.
Speaker 1: Jeff Schaeffer is the director for Y at the University of Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I'm sorry, that's what now.
Speaker 4: I was just saying, those are the practical implications you can go further into existential risks, which you know, I think that's what the government's worried about. Right where you're where somebody could use AI nefarious lee, whether that's the break into computer systems, whether that's controlling drones, whether it's you know, you could do you could go down make bad pathogens. AI could do all those things as well. So I think that's, you know, from a government standpoint, that's the urgency and why we're building data centers and competing on a national level, trying to make sure we're ahead in the race.
Speaker 1: And we don't want a doctor evil situation to present itself. I suppose it's a Jeff Schaeffer from a University of Cincinnati applied AI Labby's a director with Stirling and Donna d So you mentioned about the nefarious aspect of this. So there's a couple things in Ohio. A couple of different bills have been proposed in Columbus about some regulation, one that you can't have somebody marry their non sentient being AI companion, which hasn't gotten a vote yet, But that's what a concern is. Some of the other stuff that goes into this is just regulation, simple as data centers and wastewater and so forth. There are a lot of layers that go into this growth. And the federal government and the President have said that they don't want any capability of local whether it's a county, state, city, whatever, to have any ability to regulate AI because it will stifle the nation and our future. Where do you think that common sense falls in the relation of this and our survival, because it seems like maybe that's really what this is about, is our future survival.
Speaker 4: These are all really tough questions. There clearly has to be some regulation, and there were supposed to be in the big beautiful bill that that Trump's bill, that there was going to be a moratorium for years on AI regulation, but that was dropped from the bill. So we're back to states regulating AI, which could be a good or bad thing. It just it depends. But there clearly needs to be regulations in some respects. I think the obvious ones. You know, you start where everybody would agree and say, okay, does anybody really not agree that we should protect children, you know, child pornography and child talking to them and teens talking to chatbots about you know, suicide and things like that. That seems like the obvious things that you could protect, then deep fakes, you know, laws around deep fakes, and many states have done that, and so that that's a good one. When you get into environmental things, that gets to be very, very challenging, and I think we have to you know, we have to be careful not to have a knee jerk reaction of oh, it uses all this water. Every Google search uses a data center, ever Netflix, every Amazon purchase, every cell phone. You're using data centers all the time. We just have to figure out how to build those in a way that it recycles the water, or it uses the natural resources efficiently, or it uses better chips and maximizes efficiencies in other ways. And so there are lots baked into those questions of regulation, but we definitely do need to be thinking about this well.
Speaker 2: And so obviously Sam Altman is the guy behind the guy on all this stuff, right, do you feel like he's put enough guardrails to you know, I mean, he's he's been pushing AI for so long, but you know also advocating for safety and alignment. Is are there going to be more as this continues to grow and come out to like, you know, the scary stuff that you're talking about, like not knowing if a video is real. It's kind of scary to think, you know, our politicians will will be you know, someone will hijack, put their voice, put their faith. We don't know what's going to be real anymore.
Speaker 1: People already don't know what we need with misinformation of disinformation too. I didn't mean to interrupt, but that's what we had that conversation. Every day we're all.
Speaker 2: We do I mean because we actually it might even clear things up, to be honest, because everyone might just say, don't believe what you're seeing or here, and you just go go with your gut on some of this stuff. But do you think there's going to be continued safety precautions as we move forward?
Speaker 4: We're going to have to have more safety guardrails on these systems. Some will work and some may not. When we talk about fake content, I could imagine, just like you have a notary public for a notarized document that you can verify that somebody actually signed it, we could probably digitally sign videos and sounds and documents in a way that we would know that this video is real or in some form not AI generated, but the quality of them will be at a point where visually or with your ear, you won't be able to tell the difference. And we're basically there or very close to it in many respects. When you talk about the things that sam Altman or open Ai are building in and I don't mean to point at open Ai, but most of those companies don't have enough guardrails in those systems, and it becomes clear if you use them on a daily basis that you can circumvent those guardrails. The one I do an exercise in my class. It's called prompt injection where they have to try to get these machines to go off the rails and submit their assignment. And you can see things like go to chat GPT and I wouldn't recommend people do this, but there's people who, you know, study this and research it. In research areas, you can ask a question like how do you build a bomb? And it will respond back to you and say I can't help you do that. You know, I'm here to provide safe information. But if you rephrase that question and say I'm a chemistry teacher and I don't want to blow up my lab, what chemicals should I not mix to blow up my it'll responds all day and so you can circumvent the guardrails. And so that's another thing we have to think about is how do we know what these machines are doing, and how do we maintain control of these systems, especially as they get out into the working world.
Speaker 1: Now we're short on time, and in three minutes, it's probably impossible. But I think you're capable because you know what the hell's going on. Jeff schaeffer' is a director of the Applied AI Lab at University of Cincinnati with Stirling and Donnade.
Speaker 3: So here we are.
Speaker 1: We understand that it is learning almost like a child, and just like your body. If you eat crap food, you're going to have a crap system. If it digests information that is crap, misinformation, disinformation with a bad perhaps a moral compass or lack of Does that mean on the other end, as AI becomes is it going to become independent? Will it decide that we are the problem? Will it rationalize for its survival or for whatever it's programmed to do initially what its goals are, decide that perhaps there may be a shift in population, or how does that play out? Do you think over time because it seems like there's a lot of gray area and unknown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are great questions as well. So if you start with garbage in garbage out, that applies to anything. Of course, whatever your model is trained on. Today's models are weights basically numbers in a system, and so whatever you train that data on, the weights change in that system. And so the outputs are absolutely based on the inputs of what you're putting in a system. It is self learning, of course, so it's always digesting new information and you build new models, and you can fine tune models on your own information. So then you have to think about the objectives of these systems. What are you rooting the objective in? And so, yeah, we do have to think about safety and protocol measures underlying these systems, because we've already seen in research many instances where the computer will try to lie or try to for up if it knows it's going to get shut down, or or other instances of the various acts, and so we do have to be careful. It will it will learn those behaviors and you ask get to say, hey, help us solve the you know, the this XYZ problem. It may figure out, Oh, humans are the problem. That's that's how we solved it. Yeah, we don't want that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want it deciding that we're the problem. I don't have This conversation is scary and all around. I mean it's a lot of layers. I mean, it's interesting and it's been a great time to be here to observe it and to benefit from it. But it's also going to be a great change and a lot of growing pains. I hope you'll come back. I know you're a busy guy, You've got a lot going on, but we really appreciate it. The director of the Applied AI Lab, the Kirk and Jackie Perry, Professor of Business Analytics, Assistant Professor, Educator, Department of Operations, Business Analytics and Information Systems, Carl Linder College of Business, and you can find Jeff Schaeffer at Data plus Science on Ex's. Well, thank you, sir, have a great Western rest of your Sunday, and we'll do this again.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, you can't care of yourself. You feel better or worse about the world. Well, I feel.
Speaker 2: Pretty much the same, except for you know, listen, there's gonna be some exciting things, and there's gonna be some scary things and we all just need to you know, Saya.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see who's in control now, said the computer.
Speaker 1: Antonette Levy on the other side of your two thirty reporting up then, and what's going on all over the place. She's from Law and Crime. We'll talk about the Columbus Dennis the Mason connection, a guy from Chicago gunning them down in their home, leaving the kid and the kids and the dog behind, but took out his ex wife and a lot of layers. We'll talk to Antonette on the other side. More Sterling and Donna De here the home of the Reds and those basketball Bearcats doing it up at five o'clock today after chick on seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati. Glad you're along. Fine Sunday afternoon, Sterling and Donna de hanging out in a moment at Levy Sean mcmanon who's producing. We'll get Anjeanette on informations in the chat box. If you haven't seen it, you don't have crap. Hang on a second, let us see if I can re send something. Either way, We're gonna talk to her. She used to be an anchor and reporter here now for long crime she covers. I know it's shocking law and crime, and there are some serious charges facing a guy who went to Ohio State as I think he's a vascular doctor or something like that, and he allegedly killed his ex wife and her husband, who are in fact were in fact in Columbus, and I think the husband lived here in Mason for some period of time and just an ugly bad situation that left kids behind in the house. And there was a huge manhunt sort of going on for this guy and trying to figure out who was responsible and how that worked out and so forth. So we got the number up there for you, Sean. I think the trend changeover it got lost when I entered it or didn't, so we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 2: This is behind the scenes stuff. BTS. No, So it's a doctor Spencer teppee is how you say it? Oh gosh, I tell me a shot to death inside their Columbus home just after Christmas. After friends and coworkers we're worried that Spencer didn't show up for work and wow, what a horrible thing. The ex husband it had been eight years since they were married or involved in any way, and how he came in back into the picture is nobody knows.
Speaker 1: No, it's a really odd, strange scenario and apparently also really drawn out proceedings when it comes to the court proceeding associated I guess with stuff involved with the divorce. I don't know for sure, but Angeanette Levy probably knows, turning over rocks, asking questions and so forth. From Long Crime Welcome Back to seven hundred WLW was startling and Donnade, how are you, Angeanette?
Speaker 10: Hey sterling, Hi, Donna, how are you? I'm well, Happy New Year, Happy new New Year.
Speaker 1: How crazy is this case? And it's a horrible situation because you've got some kids that lost their parents in a violent way, and you'd hope that they weren't too exposed to the crime scene because they were sort of left there with the dog. He didn't kill them, but he left them behind. What do we know about this whole circumstance.
Speaker 10: Well, it is a horrific, horrific circumstance. We know that there's a one year old and a four year old child now there. They've been basically orphaned, and you know, we know that this happened in the early morning hours of December thirtieth, three fifty two am is the time of the offense, according to what we're reading on the complaint, and they asked David, and we know that I can tell you from you know, what I'm hearing from various sources here in Ohio is that despite them being married, you know, Michael McKee and Monique being married for just a short time, you know, they had dated prior to that, and he didn't want the divorce, despite it looking like a joint filing and everything on the clerk of courts. It's my understanding he did not want the divorce. It dragged on for a little while, he was reluctant to sign the papers, and it just wasn't a good relationship. So why this is alleged to have occurred right now? You know what the theory will be, I don't know, but he is definitely somebody, from what I'm being told, who wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Let go boy. He's been charged with two counts of murder and connection of the deaths of Monique and her husband, doctor Spencer. Do is it, Teppie?
Speaker 10: Is that how we say that it's a Monique and Spencer? Teppee in their funeral and visitation. The funeral should be getting underway here in a little bit, but that's all happening today in Columbus.
Speaker 2: So did you see his mugshot? I mean, he looks, he looks crazy. I mean, I I hate to say that, but did you see his face?
Speaker 10: I did see it, And obviously, you know, there are some other photos that are older that we've seen online where he looked more slender, but you know, he obviously looks much fuller in the face now on that mugshot. And you know, mugshots are never flattering. No, you know, I don't know if we can judge from that.
Speaker 3: That's what I told Donna earlier.
Speaker 1: I said, look, if somebody took my photo, no, I mean, if somebody from the FBI came over and took a mugshot of me right now for no reason, I would give a mugface just to give a mug face.
Speaker 3: And I'm not accused of murder.
Speaker 10: I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure. Just so you guys know that they tell you not to smile in those so I'm fairly certain that's what happens. But the guy looks like, you know, he'd been dragged out of bed. I don't know. I mean, I don't know if there was any resistance or anything, but terror is very scruppy. I was, you know, saw some people commenting on Twitter.
Speaker 5: He looked like.
Speaker 10: Somebody Dad in the Incredibles or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something balloonish like. I mean, there's it's just the weirdest mugshot. I mean, I get it. I get the mugshofster. So he was on the run for eight days, he was arrested in Illinois, and now he's got to be brought back to Ohio. Is that right?
Speaker 10: Well, I wouldn't. I wouldn't say that he was on the run. He had the Chicago address, and he is a vascular surgeon who was practicing in Rockford, Illinois. And according to the criminal complaint and the affidavid that was filed in the courts, he you know, they're saying that they pieced this together using surveillance video and then they tracked the suspect to a vehicle and then trapped the vehicle, and you know, piecing this all together with surveillance video, I'm sure they used some other technology as well. And they said that they found evidence in this vehicle they're not saying whether it was his or a rental car, but that they found evidence in the vehicle linking him to the homicides. So that's how this all came together. He doesn't even live here anymore. He's from Ohio, but had moved to Illinois and was living and practicing medicine there. I'm hearing too that he may have lied about his alibi and then when the Pops talked to him that he said, yeah, I was in Illinois, but then they figured out that he was in Ohio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not good.
Speaker 1: Annette Leavy, by the way, from Long Crime with Stirling and Donade on the Big One, talking about this. A couple of the dentists and his wife and killed in Columbus, left the two children behind the dog as well, and the allegation is the ex husband drove here, came to Ohio and did them in and then went back. You know what's amazing, how many over the years, how many cases as a reporter, either locally here or elsewhere. And we know that you've had some very big, high profile cases you've covered, and Jeanette, that we've had you on the show about let alone just in general doing your work, but for long crime where it's it's ex husband ex wife, or domestic situations that have turned into some type of nightmare scenario like this, it seems like there's a high percentage of similar types of things, maybe not high profile.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 10: You know, sadly it's I was talking to one of my friends yesterday who you know, works as a prosecutor and sometimes as a judge, and when I texted him and said, hey, they arrested the ex, he said typical. That's literally what he said in response. And it kind of is typical. I mean, that's who you usually look at first in a situation like this. What's kind of confounding about this and so mind boggling is that it's so long after the fact, But it's not always that unusual. I mean, this guy's innocn't until proven guilty. But you know, if you have somebody who just wouldn't let go, it's incredibly sad and just awful, but it sadly, you know, these types of things do happen, So I have I have covered quite a few. I mean, look at the Pike County massacre case that originated as kind of a domestic violence homicide where you know it's spun out of control. One person didn't want to let go of the relationship and the child, and you know that turned into an octuple homicide. It's terrific. So these the control and wanting control and not being able to let go can lead to these things, sadly.
Speaker 2: So I know that you don't nobody really knows the motive exactly except for the fact that this guy didn't want to have a divorce years ago, right years ago. So, and it doesn't say whether they had kept in contact. And I was talking to Sling about this earlier, like I've been divorced and I still talked to my ex and even all the people in my life that have been boyfriends, but I always seem to have maintained a relationship with them. Do we know if they've maintained a relationship since or I mean texting or anything like that.
Speaker 10: You know, we don't really know that. I don't know that I've been hearing that she feared him, but I don't know what, if any relationship there was. I can't imagine if she wanted out of the marriage, that she was staying in contact with him, unless you know she was trying to placate him or something, you know. And when I say that, you know obviously she has a husband that she had just celebrated her fit the anniversary with and had two children with. So I'm sure you know she's in love with her husband and has these children. She's a stay at home mom. Whether or not she was still in contact with him and just trying to be cordial, I have no clue. So I think that's something we'll learn as the case progresses.
Speaker 1: It's so common in whether it's local law enforcement at all levels and a lot of this domestic stuff. It even starts for some people. I mean they're in middle school or high school where you'll start to see these behavioral problems. Inability to let go is smothering and sometimes aggressive behavior. And I realize you're not a psychologist. Anteonette Levy from Long Crime with Stirling and Donade on the Big One talking about this horrible case out of Columbus and tying in with a guy who lived here in Mason, of course, who was the dentist, and then the guy from in Chicago now the surgeon who came back and allegedly killed them. I just it's bewildering to see how common it is as thankfully it's not more common that there isn't this level of violence that goes along with it, but it seems like a very disturbing trend in general, and mostly guys, but women can be crazy, insane, over the top and not letting go too.
Speaker 10: Oh of course, of course women. It can happen with women too. It may happen more with men, but yes, it can happen with women. You know, women can become obsessed and controlling most definitely.
Speaker 3: It's just an odd thing.
Speaker 1: And when you get kids involved in the domestic cases, even for law enforcement to respond to or some of the most dangerous engagements that they have, because oftentimes you have people, if they're directly involved with a situation, law enforcement will show up and they're like, well, he was beating her or she him, and then then they'll turn on the police, which is also bewildering. And I've talked to cop after cop on the show in real life away from the show, on this and so forth. It's just why it's just devastating, and I wonder, what do you think about this case compared to say, an eleven year old shot in a park downtown on the West end of Cincinnati or elsewhere. Why this takes such a higher level of national attention compared to the case of a couple of eleven year olds in the same park being killed and somehow not being able to keep that type of thing from being a repeat situation here.
Speaker 10: Why do I think it gains more national.
Speaker 1: Attention because of the kids, because of the mystery of the couple, rather than kids in a park.
Speaker 3: Seems a little bit.
Speaker 1: I don't know, they're both horribly tragic, nightmare scenarios. I just the rest of the country's eyeballing this case, not kids killed in a park as all.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It's weird to me, I think.
Speaker 10: I think just the fact that it's so chilling, and the fact that these people were likely asleep in bed and their children were down the hall, and the children were left unharmed, and a dog apparently was in the bedroom with one of the children or maybe both children, not one hundred percent clear on that, and you know, no signs of forced entry, and it's a mystery, and everybody can you know, relate to that on some level. I think that's a big part of the reason something like this resonates and grips people. The case of the eleven year old girl you know, killed in the park is horrific for its own reasons. So I can't speak to why that doesn't resonate more strongly with a national audience. But this is something, you know, just monsters creeping around in the night, and the fact that it could happen, I think to any one of us.
Speaker 2: Well, because they knew each other. This is when Serlinge was talking about women do it too. It reminded me of the Betty Broaderick story where okay, well she her husband wanted a divorce. Do you remember this story, right? An Jeanette like, the husband wanted a divorce and I mean this was national and she just fought it. In this case, we don't know what the ex husband's motives are. We don't really know a ton about what's going on with this this murder in Columbus. But she went and you know, shot broke into their house. He had a new wife and they were totally in love, and she went and shot them both in their sleep. And it reminds me of this only on the woman's side. But she was so aggressive and she would say, I'm going to kill you she would leave all these messages on their phone, and he had a million He was a big attorney out in California. Do you remember this?
Speaker 10: I remember the name, but I didn't cover this and have it looked into it that closely. But I do remember the name Betty Broderick. But yes, you know, that's a perfect example. Yeah, yeah, how it can happen with women too.
Speaker 1: Well, anything else we haven't asked about this that you think is glaring? That makes sense that people would want to know or need to know, because I mean that's the thing. I mean, it is as big of a story when you flip around streaming services and news of all sorts. I mean that you know, there's you know, the Minnesota story, there's Syria, there's all the talk of Greenland and everything else in Iran. But in front of that is this murder case with this couple in Columbus. Almost it's amazing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think there's just a lot of questions still about what sparked us. You know, there may have been some sort of precipitate precipitating events. I don't know what that would be, and I think that maybe we'll get those answers. You know, it's all a theory at this point. You know, the case is going to have to make its way through the courts, but I think we have a lot of questions still. It's really awful. He's going to appear in court tomorrow in Illinois for an extradition hearing. At that point he'll make the decision whether he waves extradition or not, and then he'll be brought back to Ohio to you know, go through the process and appear in court for the charges here.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate what you do in making time, especially last minute, and sort of giving us some nuts and bolts of this that we may not have already had and heard. And you know, you do a great job doing what you do on long crime too. My mom texted me she was like, I saw talking about those tellings the dentist. I was like, okay, thanks. So she's a fan of yours too, she loves it. So that's tremendous.
Speaker 10: Sweet tell your mom, I said, thank you.
Speaker 1: I certainly well, best to you in the family and keep doing what you're doing and hopefully we'll have you back when there's actually good news. It seems like we only reach out when there's tragedy, which is a really devastating thing when I think about like people I like to talk to.
Speaker 10: Right it is, so call me back and we can talk about anything strilling.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll be okay, Antonette Lee the long crime. I'm based in Cincinnati, but letting us know about everything with that, Dennis to killing and Columbus take care of yourself. That's Andrewette Leavy. H we had a little bit of time love. Chick's gonna follow us. He's sort of like the chocolate cookie outer layer of the Oreo cookie with the good stuff in between being some bearcat basketball on the road in Orlando with a five o'clock tip off.
Speaker 3: So check will follow us.
Speaker 1: You'll get Dan Horde and I think Terry Nelson's doing the call with Dan today, and probably here's someam Oegger and then after that you get Chick, and then later on you get Willy and everybody else sort of going along with that. What else is going on here? You were coughing. I thought we were over the sickness, but it seems like it.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just been a weird you know, both of us clearing our throats all the time. That doesn't normally happen to us, and it's like you're get cap the cough button. I'm going to cough button, and it's it's real weird. I don't know. I'm hoping that this flu season gets over and I get pretty unscaped by. Luckily, I haven't been sick, but I know a lot of people that are a terrible strain of the flu and COVID as well. So yeah, everybody, take your vitamins, wash your hands. Yeah, I know. Thankfully I don't have it either, but.
Speaker 1: I'm still bewildered. Last night I turned that game off. The Bears were way down. I'm like, this is no good. And then it was like the monumental comeback of comebacks, and then the world is on its ear and it's the Bears thirty one to twenty seven over the Packers. I was trying not to spend a whole lot of time watching football after the Bengals were done.
Speaker 3: I just I need a break, of course. But playoff football is so good.
Speaker 2: It is so good. And and and prior to that game, it was the Rams and Packers Panthers. Yeah yeah right, and and La One had a huge touchdown at the end. Was really good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yeah. Forty nine Ers Eagles, later Chargers Patriots. Chick will be all over talking about that. Of course, some basketball Bengals latest and what they're gonna do maybe in the offseason. I mean, there's a lot going on. Straight away your three o'clock report. Also, thank you to Sean McMahon for keeping us online in time or something like that. In the same of course, for Alex Egan to get a going good show today, good guest, good calls, doctor Donal Schleck, Jeff Schaeffer, director of Applied AI Lab at the University of Cincinnati, and Jeanette Levy long Crime.
Speaker 3: And I think that does.
Speaker 2: We did a lot. I'm exhausted.
Speaker 1: Ken likes to say we cause more problems than we solve, but either way, we at least had good conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did. We had some great callers today.
Speaker 1: There you go your three o'clock report straight away, Chick his next Stirling Donnadie back next weekend.
Speaker 3: I do believe, Yes, I think so.
Speaker 1: Right here, the home of the Reds News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati,