Speaker 1: All right, Mojoe in the morning, Kevin cutting a family member off, yeah, my or distancing like you said, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't think you can never like I could never fully cut them off, but I definitely have to limit the amount of access that I provide to this person because it is affecting me negatively. And I would love some advice if you all have had to go through a situation. Now, my situation probably isn't the same. This is somebody that has dealt with mental health battles and addiction. But even though your situation may not be the exact same, there may be something that I can glean from it. But this is a person that I love, dearly family member who has been going through a struggle, and I've had to willingly, you know, show up in their life in more ways than I ever imagined for a considerable amount of time. And it just gets to a point where I'm at now where I realize that I feel like I can do no more. I have to leave it in God's hands after fully believing that I have done everything possible, And you run into a situation where this person just does not see who they are right now. They don't believe anybody's words and their interactions with you always leave you feeling.
Speaker 3: Drained, angry.
Speaker 2: They screaming at you, cussing at you, saying all kinds of things that you never would imagine that they would say to you. And you do your best understand that this isn't that person.
Speaker 3: But kind of is.
Speaker 2: You know, some days and the interactions just aren't healthy. And it's at a point now where it's like I just can't go through this no more. So I'd rather just distance myself. And you know, it's no more I can do for real.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes you have to for your own well being, right, I mean, but you don't want to, Like you said, You're what you said is distancing is better than saying cut off because you can never cut them off their family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean I still love them.
Speaker 2: So it's like my heart isn't hardened, you know what I mean, to where it's like it's impenetrable.
Speaker 4: In this situation. Are you telling are you going to vocalize to this person, Hey, I am going to pray for you, I'm going to be here for you, but I'm taking a step back from the situation.
Speaker 3: Or do you just take a step back.
Speaker 2: I've had that conversation and it was a very tough conversation, and I pray that they understand it. They took a lot for me to get there. This isn't like a one time you did me wrong thing. I'm gonna take my hands off. This has been like a year, two years, three years, repetitive cycle where I've consistently showed up and now the majority of our interactions are either screaming matches or you view me as a financial relationship more than anything beyond that, and it's like we just can't. I can't exist in this world that you've created for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I gotta I gotta go left. How do you distance? I mean they do?
Speaker 2: They call you a lot? Yeah, yeah, to pick up. No, I just don't answer a lot. I don't respond to text messages. Like I said, my heart isn't fully heartened. So there are moments where I'll answer, but then it's the same thing, is hey can I get do at I or I see him and it's it's on fire?
Speaker 5: Do you uh?
Speaker 1: Do you ever feel when in this case and maybe it's too soon to understand this, but like you worry about them to a point where you're like, if I distance myself from them and something happens to them, I've.
Speaker 2: Made peace with God with that, to be completely honest with you, And again, it's taken a while to get there, and you'll never know, God forbid that day comes how I will feel.
Speaker 3: But I fully believe.
Speaker 2: And you know, you can find confirmation in many different things, and Odyssey confirmed something for me as well.
Speaker 3: It was like I forgot what she said.
Speaker 2: I ain't trying to wait no spoilers, but like, maybe it's the will of the gods, and we always want to put our two sents in and try to figure it out and try to save And it's like, maybe that's why the situation is what it is, and maybe there's a bigger plan at play that I can't control.
Speaker 4: So I also think it would be super unhealthy for you too, and you know this, so I'm just reiterating what you already know. But to to continue a relationship that is mentally and physically affecting you because of the thought of, oh my God, if something happened to them, like, that's not any sort of reason to put yourself through that and stay in contact.
Speaker 6: Had you tried to distance yourself before a little bit, but always come back because again you love the person and ye never and yeah, but since it is something that's you know, kind of out of their control.
Speaker 2: But at this point it's not because you're not listening to the people. You're not listening to your family, not listening to the doctors. You believe you know everything. So it's like at a certain point you're like, Okay, yeah, I'm done with this, and it's like, no, I love you so much I can never be done.
Speaker 3: But now we're at a place where you got to for your own Yeah. Fact, man, what's up Lauren High?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 3: How are you good?
Speaker 1: keVs sharing a very personal moment right now and it resonated with you that it got you to call us up.
Speaker 3: What'd you want to say?
Speaker 7: Yeah, my mom got into a car accident from a drunk driver back in nineteen ninety seven, so she has a traumatic brain injury. And she was like, I call her like a control of addicts because everything that she takes is described was she definitely can't function without.
Speaker 6: Like the.
Speaker 7: Paying medication and the like barbituous and stuff. But she like she's so bad that she thought Luke Bryan was coming to marry her a couple of years ago. Uh, and so I totally get like having to cut people off that are close to you. My dad just passed about a year ago from cancer too, so like dealing with everything, it's all right.
Speaker 3: So you'd kind of lost your dad and your mom.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, I never really had a good relationship with my mo. She just always blamed me growing up for why her and my dad didn't get along, but it was because of her head trauma.
Speaker 5: That it was.
Speaker 7: It's just it sucks, but you have to do it best for you and like you said, like to make peace with God to kind of because you're like, well, I you can't blame yourself for what other people do. I had a little bit of a drug problem too, and I realized, like I have to get help for myself. It's not to anybody else. So I just think it's really important for you to take care of you and just not let anybody like shame you for that because at the end of the day, you have your son and you to look after her.
Speaker 2: Nice your sobriety and your recovery.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I said at seventeen, it'll be fifteen in November, so definitely something to look too better for you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got to do it for him too, right, you got to make sure you're healthy for your son.
Speaker 3: What's up, bree Hey, Kevin.
Speaker 8: So I deal with the exact same thing with my brother For thirteen years, We've dealt with mental health, addiction, alcoholism with him, and it really has taken a toll on all the family members, and you know, it's it's really difficult to watch somebody you love go through that and you know, not want to get the help. And it can only help somebody that wants, you know, wants to be helped. Right, I can't. I can't be the one to do the work for you. And so it affected me a lot and my day to day and so eventually I had to get to a point where I did have to distance myself and I had to get to a place where I had to get out of the fix it mode or you know, trying to get too deep in the weeds. And now I just am more of a bystander where I just let him talk rather than trying to give advice or you know, trying to fix it, and just let him talk and just you know, kind of do the nodding of the head and let him get it off his chest and feel like I'm still there for him, but not deep in the weeds where it's affecting my own mental health or my own self and what I have going on in life.
Speaker 2: I one thing Mojo had asked was do you do I ever consider if something should happen to this person, how would I react or respond? Have you had to deal with that same thought?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know there's been times where you know, the phone rings at two am and I'm like, I don't want to answer it. I know he's in a suicidal moment, but I always get that feeling of what if I don't answer it and he's gone, right, how would I live with that? And you know, we've unfortunately had to kind of have that conversation of between you know, him and I of what that would look like and how you know, he's got to understand how that would make somebody feel. And you know, at some point, you again, you've got to kind of understand what you can control and.
Speaker 5: You know, try not to let that.
Speaker 1: Kevin mbri is it exhausting when they are constantly you know, uh believe abusing you guys?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I mean it's yeah, it's exhausting. I mean, because it gets to a point where, yeah, you do take the abuse right, especially being the one and only sibling of my brother, you know, I get it a lot, and it can be really exhausting. And that's actually where I got to the point, whereas it was the exhaustion that I just couldn't deal with anymore.
Speaker 3: Is it exhausting, I think there are there are many words.
Speaker 2: It's it's frustrating, it's painful, it's exhausting, it's infuriating, it's confusing. There are so many ranges of emotions that you go through because you're trying to wrap your head around you know that that person that you've loved or in her case, person you grew up with. You know they're in there somewhere. Yeah, And at the same time, though, the person that's standing in front of you feels like it's a completely different spirit or version of this person. And they're still speaking truth because they're not just making this stuff up. They still saying stuff, and it's hard to separate the two. And it's hard to separate the two time and time and time and time again. So one day you're just like, okay, this is who you are. This is who you choose, who you chosen to be.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Uh, thank you Brave for the call. Appreciate your call. K is being voices Guy's initial K.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 9: Hey there, So I my parent is dealing with the addiction. And something that I've just been learning is that you have to draw firm boundaries for you and for them, and you have to know those.
Speaker 3: What does that mean for you?
Speaker 9: I'm twenty six, so I would one of them? I know that is just like if they're talking down to me, just know that, just like ignore them, ignore them and know that I'm doing what I can at twenty six and that I've come a long way.
Speaker 3: And this is one of your parents. Huh. Yeah, wow? Is it very.
Speaker 9: It's hard because it's like they compare me to my other siblings. So it's just hard growing up.
Speaker 1: You're twenty six years old. You shouldn't be having to deal with this with your parents. That's awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you have anybody in your life that you can talk to about this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I talked to my therapists.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 9: And then keep my friends only where it's like fun.
Speaker 3: Kevin, do you not draining my friendship or do you have like a therapist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have a consistent therapist, but there are times when I have gone to therapy where I've had this conversation with her. And maybe it's for another one because this is a new moment in my life where I'm making this conscious decision and I shall probably have somebody to talk through, someone a doctor.
Speaker 3: Ago, Sofia wants to say something to you, keV before we end this. What's going on? Sofia, I just.
Speaker 5: Wanted to say I can relate with you. I have a sister who just you know, sometimes is just out there and you know, a pop star, and you know, it's like why do you say? Why do you say stupid stuff? You know, to people? And she does that on purpose, and so sometimes I just got to just back away. And I mean, she's my sister. I love her and do anything for her, but you know, I got to walk away. One time, I walked away for three years. We didn't talk.
Speaker 3: What brought you guys back in three years?
Speaker 5: My our kids were all going to be at the same high school together, and so I did not wanted to affect the kids, you know, as being a husband. So I brought us back together but there is a line that we do not cross. I do not cross. You know, when things get bad again, I go back and I'm like, no, you go do your thing. I'm going to do my thing, and it's best that way.
Speaker 1: You got to protect your family, but you got to protect you and that's the number one thing.
Speaker 3: So well, thank you.
Speaker 1: We're going to pray for all these people that were getting in calls and text from and Kevin, honestly pray for you and your family member too.
Speaker 5: So