Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Get in on the show by calling eight six six eight seven hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Basse.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Dodger Talk, one of two shows we have for you this week. David Vase with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Our next show is going to be Thursday night at seven o'clock. Miguel Rojas and Max Munsey are going to join us on Thursday night tonight. We've got a great show for you because I feel like people are ignoring the fact that in Major League Baseball games this year there is going to be a significant rule addition technology wise, as the automated strike zone is coming to Major League Baseball games, not just spring training games, but actual major league games. It is being implemented where a batter, the catcher, or the pitcher can challenge balls and strikes twice. You got two challenges for nine innings, and from my understanding, if it goes extras, you'll be given one extra challenge. So if you challenge a pitch and you're wrong, you lose that challenge. There is no going back, and that's happening this year, and I have some questions, so I thought i'd bring in our resident umpire who has been on the show a few times, and that is thirty year Major League veteran umpire Brian Gorman, who lives in the Knejo Valley and also is a Major League Baseball observer. Basically, he's watching the umpires the games and kind of just gathering information on how umpires do individually as a crew. He's out at Dodger Stadium virtually every home game, so I've gotten to know Brian Gorman, who actually was the home played umpire the day that Sean Green had his four home run nineteen total base record setting day back in two thousand and one. So Brian Gorman is going to educate us and maybe clarify some of the questions I have about this automated strike zone that's coming to Major League Baseball. Brian Gorman is going to join us at seven point thirty. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. Did you even know this was coming into play? And basically it's trying to generate more offense where the edges of the strike zone may be eliminated to try to force pitchers to come more into the strike zone and not risk getting a fifty to fifty call going against them. Did you even know the automated strike zone is coming into play in twenty twenty six major league games? I feel like many of you were not aware of this, and that's why I wanted to shine a spotlight on it tonight, especially with Major League umpire Brian Gorman at seven point thirty. And did you see it in spring training? Did you like it in spring training? Major League Baseball in the Commissioner's office is telling us that you wanted this, You gave good reviews to this in spring training last year. And my biggest question is David vasse strike zones a lot different than Ronnie Fossio's strike zone. And if you remember watching Ricky Henderson, he was whatever height he was, but when he got into the batter's box, he was dramatically bent over at the waist, so his height was a lot different in the batter's box than it was standing straight up in left field. Have they accounted for that? We'll ask Brian Gorman eight six six two five seventy is the phone number coming up in fifteen minutes. I'll let you know about a former fan favorite that is back on the open market that could find his way back to the Dodgers. But I wanted to tell you about my day. You may have heard Petros and Money mock me for speaking to a fraternity, but you know, I have preconceived notions about frat guys and they're usually accurate. Look at Matt money Smith frat guy, Bullseye one hundred percent frat guy. I'm sure you're not shocked knowing that. But anyway, I talked to a group of very nice fraternity men. The Sigma Chi Alumni Los Angeles chapter today held a small gathering for Joe Davis, who was part of that fraternity at his college in Wisconsin, a very small college. And I love how he said it because he kind of tore down the walls as why he joined this fraternity because he did play football there and it was kind of a fraternity for athletes at this college. But anyway, the story goes back a year ago where I was contacted by a member of the Sigma Ui Los Angeles chapter that wanted to honor Joe with this honor of being a significant sig and I guess to be able to get that honor, somebody has to write a letter to vouch for the person's character. And I've known Joe Davis since the first day he started with the Dodgers and have never wavered in liking him. I like Joe Davis personally, and also he's pretty good at what he does, right. I like him and I respect him because he's always prepared. He puts in the work, and he's the best baseball broadcaster right now in America, arguably top five. We all have our biases, but I would put him in the top five. How about that, We'll agree. But for a guy that took over for the legend, not just a legend, but the legend. Not too many people succeed as much as Joe Davis has succeeded, and a lot of that has to go to his characters. So I was more than happy to speak on his behalf, write that letter on his behalf. And it was a good group of guys. And Patrick Muldoon, legendary actor, Daytime Star, also Saturday Morning Cameo Star. He did play Jeff at the Attic who stole Kelly Kapowski away from Zach Morris. Ronnie, this is legit stuff. If you want to see my picture with Muldoon, who is an LA native, grew up in sam Pedro, knows the Papadakus as well, loves the Dodgers, is going to join us on Dodger Talk next week. You can find our photo with Muldoon at officially vass on Instagram. But nonetheless, there was a Q and a session after Joe made his small, short speech, which we all appreciated. And a guy that has accomplished as much as he has and is in the middle of his career doesn't need to go on with a speech speech speech. Only guys that have not accomplished a lot need to remind us how much they've done. But nonetheless, there was a Q and a session after, And I don't know it sparked something inside of me because multiple people at that luncheon were asking him how does it feel to fill the shoes of Vin Scully? And I don't know that just rubbed me the wrong way because it's not like it's his first year. I think this is his tenth eleventh year doing this since then retired. And my thing is, and I think we all have to come to that conclusion, nobody is ever going to be Vin Scully. Once you come to that realization, I truly believe you'll appreciate Joe Davis as much as you should. And at that luncheon, I said, you know what, it's at the point now that when Joe Davis isn't calling games, we're saying, is that person good enough to fill his chair? When Joe Davis is not calling a Dodger, Fox eleven or Fox Sports game, that guy has to fill Joe Davis's chair. And I just wanted to share with you some of the moments that Joe Davis has called in the last three years. And the final call is not even a Dodger call. It's one of my favorite Joe Davis's call from the twenty twenty three NLCS Bryce Harper's humongous home run. So just to remind you how good Joe is, here's a reminder. Here's the O two pitch bounces coming up.
Speaker 3: Stabat that chap you dona come out? The Dodgers stand tall head when called du back, titles.
Speaker 4: Taylor the Tyne run or says deliveries prevent hits about.
Speaker 3: Right field, sees gun jibby mate junny Game one of the World Series, drilled on the field in deep held con no way the girl Rojas.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts playst gun the guy haven't had a head in a month.
Speaker 3: Hit of the ninth thirty of Game seven, he said, a tiny home run.
Speaker 1: I'm a seven pitch Shepherd gets some of.
Speaker 3: Their little seventh fail doctors save.
Speaker 1: Those are just a few of the highlights of the big calls Joe Davis has had on a national stage in the last three years, and thankfully a lot of them are Dodger calls. But that Phillies, Diamondbacks NLCS, Joe Davis made me want to watch it. And that call that Bryce Harper home run to me, when you say Joe Davis is probably the second or first call that comes to mind, right after his call of Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the twenty four World Series. So my point is, and this got stirred up around the parade time and World Series. Look, when Joe calls a die and them being in the World Series and everybody having a lot of jealousy and envy of the Dodgers, He's going to take the brunt of it. He's never going to win, and Joe buck faced the same thing. One team's fan base believes that he's a homer for the other and vice versa, and that just comes with the job. But I love Vin Scully. I will keep Vin Scully's calls alive on Dodger Talk as long as I'm doing it, no matter what day of the week it is. But once you come to the realization that there is never going to be another Vin Scully and you can enjoy his calls all you want. Joe is one of, if not the best, of the current broadcasters in baseball right now. And don't let Mad Dog Russo know that he was at FanFest hugging it up with other players. But my point to all that him hosting the parade maybe a little too soon for everybody else. The World Series was over, he wasn't calling it anymore. He went back to being the Dodger broadcaster, and in fact, he was the Fox Sports broadcaster before he was the Dodger broadcaster. So I just wanted to set the record straight on all that. I never talk about Joe but today you know that was my experience in life, So just wanted to bring that up and as we Vin Scully generation fans would try to replicate his calls. Now kids ten eleven years old are doing the same thing, but it's Joe Davis's calls that they're replicating and trying to emulate. So just keep that perspective. And in my mind, since Chick Hern and Vin Scully retired, there's only two guys that have come close to you know, I don't want to say filling their shows, but I'll just say this period, the two best Laker and Dodger broadcasters since Chick and Vin retire, respectively, have been Spirodidis and Joe Davis. Period. My apologies if I offend anybody else, but that's that's facts, and that's the reason why the Sigma Chi Los Angeles chapter Jim Lawson asked me to write that letter. If I didn't like Joe Davis or didn't respect him, or didn't think he was a good guy, hey, I wouldn't have showed up today, and first and foremost, I wouldn't have even give I would have ignored that message that was sent to me via social media. So that's the record, and hopefully you appreciate all our guys. Tim Neverritt Stephen Nelson, Joe Davis, Rick Monday, who is the longest active tenured Dodger broadcaster. Rick Monday's been in the booth since nineteen ninety three. And this upcoming season is going to be the fiftieth anniversary that Rick Monday saved the American flag at Dodger Stadium. That's going to be celebrated. So be ready and we will all celebrate with Rick Monday. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number when we continue on Dodger Talk your phone calls, and also I'll let you know which former Dodger is available. Will the Dodgers bring him home? We'll find out next right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. Coming up in fifteen minutes, you'll hear from former Major League umpire now MLB observer quote observer Brian Gorman, who in some ways works with Major League Baseball and he knows all the rules, He's briefed on all the rules and certainly had command or he would not have lasted for thirty years. So Brian Gorman is going to come up at seven thirty tonight, and our next show is on Thursday night at seven o'clock, Miguel Rojas and Max Munsey are going to join us. Had a chance to catch up with them at Dodger Fest, so we'll share that conversation on Thursday night. And in case you missed any of our show, our three hour bonanza at Dodger Fest this past Saturday, you can find all three hours on the iHeartRadio app. Just find it under Dodger Talk. You should make Dodger Talk a preset and you can listen to us live every single game on the iHeartRadio app and Dodger Talk and AM five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app show Heo Tani, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, Roki Sasaki, they all joined us, and Dave Roberts also joined us. And some of the takeaways from Saturday, as far as newsworthy takeaways, was Freddy Freeman's not doing the Worm anymore. And he said publicly on the stage, not with us, but basically said what he has told me privately last year that he wants to play until forty and he wants to see how close he can get to three thousand hits. I mean, that's an important number for a guy that is considered one of the best hitters of our generation and certainly has Hall of Fame career and all over it. He has two more years left on his deal, including this upcoming season. I would love to see the Dodgers just extend Freddy Freeman. I know the CBA is expiring at the end of this year, but once that's all settled, I don't want Freddy Freeman going into twenty twenty seven as a lame duck player. Extend that guy make he is a legacy player. I understand right now may not be the right time, but going into twenty twenty seven, when it's all settled and the dust is settled after whatever happens when the CBA expires, Freddy Freeman should end his career with the Dodgers. I know everybody's starting to think, oh, it'd be great if he ended in Atlanta. Yeah, maybe if you're a Braves fan, But if you're a Dodger fan, it would be great if Freddy Freeman ended his career with the Dodgers. Because I hate to break this to all the Braves fan Braves fandom out there, Freddie Freeman's two most signature moments in his career are with the Dodgers. Sorry. I know he won a World Series championship with the Braves and hit a big home run against the Astros, But nothing's bigger than hitting the only walk off Grand Slam in a World Series game against the Yankees with the Dodgers, and then hitting a walk off home run in an eighteen inning affair in last year's Game three. Sorry. If you're a Braves fan and Freddie Freeman ends his career the next four years as a Dodger, there's a real argument to be made that Freddie Freeman should go into Cooperstown with LA on his hat, not an A but a Dodgers cap on his hat if he finishes his career with the Dodgers. Now, don't get me started again. We already set our piece on Carlos Beltran. The cheater may can get into the Hall of Fame. I guess cheaters are accepted now in Cooperstown. Whether you say Barry Bonds cheated, well so did Carlos Beltran, and Carlos Beltran was proven to cheat. He's going in with a Mets cap, Jeff Kent's going in with the Mets Giants cap, and whoever else?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Who else? Oh, Andrew Jones, who in my opinion, is a marginal Hall of Famer going in with the Braves cap. If defenses mean so much in center field, then Jim Edmonds should be a Hall of Famer. How is Andrew Jones and Carlos Beltran in the Hall of Fame? But Steve Garvey's not and Morey Wills is not. Somebody has to explain that to me. One day, eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Long Beach. David, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing good, David? How are you great day today? David? Start to finish.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, well, you know, even though it's the off season, I appreciate you doing, you know, taking the time of doing this program. But I did want to comment on something you said about Vin Scully, you know, and Chick Hearn. I totally agree with you. They'll never be another Vinscully. They'll never be another Chick hern. And the good thing about them is whether the Dodgers were playing a bad game or if the Lakers were playing a bad game, they weren't afraid to call it as they saw, you know, and that's what made the game so enjoyable because they call it as they saw. They don't try to sugarcoat anything.
Speaker 1: You know, they keep it real one hundred percent. But you know what they I agree with you. They weren't homers, but you knew that they had the Lakers and Dodgers in their hearts. They never said we. Chick was a little more homer Ish than Vin Scully ever was. But that was Chick.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 1: Everything that Chick was was great. And I learned from them.
Speaker 4: We all.
Speaker 1: I grew up listening to them, and that's why I'm a big believer and never sing we, and I never you know right now with the Dodgers. Have I ever put on the U, have I ever thrown a pitch? Have I ever tore up a knee? It's not we. If you're a broadcaster, it's the Dodgers. We all know Dodgers and people associated with the Dodgers have a rooting interest to a certain extent. But that's what Vin, Bob Miller and Chick Hern had. But they never were overtly Homers, and that's why we love them. And I think Joe Davis is similar to that.
Speaker 4: Totally agree with you, David thanks for the time, all.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you. David, and Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner are like that as well. I mean they've been a staying power for what twenty five years now they've been together. That's why I wouldn't say they ever replaced Vin Scully. They were there when Vin Scully was broadcasting. They never took over for Vin Scully except after the simulcast was over the first three innings. Let's go out to Mike in Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 5: Mike, he did great to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Same listen.
Speaker 5: You were just talking about Andrew Jones in the Hall of Fame. I have been rankled for the last week. We can have him stay announced this. I know what he did his first twelve years of The Brave, and he had some really great moments, but I at his age thirty one season, I've just noticeded such a hall a drop off from a Hall of Fame player as what he did his here with the Dodgers. And maybe it's sour grapes on my part, but it just kills me to see that guy going to the Hall of Fame. It was so horrible to watch live and in person. And I know you remember what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think one year should be held against a player if they're Hall of Fame worthy. But I just never thought Andrew Jones. See, I'm a small Hall of Fame type of guy. I'm not a big Hall of Fame guy. And Andrew Jones is in the big Hall of Fame like Harold Baines and Bill Mazeroski and now Carlos Beltran, Scott Rolling, all those guys shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. I'm a small Hall of Fame type of guy. Sorry. And they keep changing the rules, right, Mike, they keep telling us peak six years. Really, when did we start hearing about that? Oh, because you wanted to change in the narrative. And if they put in Chase Uttley, and I love Chase Uttley, great guy, really good player. But if they put Chase Uttley in the Hall of Fame, then there's no reason no. Mar Garcia Paras shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame either. Their numbers are similar, except Chase Uttley was a lifetime two seventy seven hitter, while Nomar won two batting titles and is a lifetime three thirteen hitter. So now they're trying to push for Chase Utley and changing the narrative for Chase Uttley.
Speaker 5: What Dave and you know what, it took so long for Jeff Kent to get in most home runs by a second baseman. Now he's finally going to get his due.
Speaker 1: It should have been in a long time ago.
Speaker 5: They keep yeah, they keep chasing. Oh it's this. Oh it's his defense. Oh it's this, It's that they keep changing the mirror. Just just make a call, you know.
Speaker 1: I thought, yeah, I'm not going until Kershaw's inducted. But Mike, I thought, Bob Costas said a great thing. We're getting into a very dangerous area of voting for the Hall of Fame because we're getting to the point, well, if he's in, then why isn't he in? And when you do that, then all of a sudden, you're starting to lower the standard of players. And I think that's where the voters have gotten to, letting some of these players in, starting with Scott Roland.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, that guy never feels like a Hall of Famer to me. I nothing against him. Had a great career, But can you tell the story of baseball without talking about Scott Rowland. Of course you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just because I don't believe you're a Hall of Famer doesn't mean you had a really, really good career. People seem to get that twisted. Mike. I wish I had something to get you. You're a reasonable caller, call back any time.
Speaker 4: I talk to you.
Speaker 3: Day.
Speaker 1: All right, Mike, thank you. Yeah. I feel like we're getting into a big hall of fame. And what separated the Baseball Hall of Fame from the Football Hall of Fame and certainly the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame was that there was a little bit of a higher standard to be enshrined in Cooperstown. And now it's starting to become like the Pro Football Hall of Fame and certainly the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame. Nobody allows more people in than the Pro Basketball Hall of Fame. So uh, yeah, that's how I feel on it. And honestly, uh, if you start allowing some of these players to get in, you're taking the specialness away from the Hall of Fame and being and having a plaque there. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up in five minutes. Brian Gorman is going to call in. Oh, here we go. All right, Before we go to break, I wanted to let you know what former Dodger is available again. Remember fan favorite Ben Rourtfitt who filled in for Will Smith so well, well, well, the Dodgers gave him a contract, but then there was a roster crunch and they had to take him off the forty man roster and try to get him through waivers. The Reds picked him up even with a one point two million dollars salary. Well, the Reds made it official, Sonny Huguenio Suarez to that one year, fifteen million dollar contract, Rortfit was designated for assignment. Ben Roortfitt is available, but still there is a waiver priority and the Dodgers' forty man roster is full right now, so they would have to clear a forty man spot, and also Rotfit would have to go through all the other teams. Feels like when you play for the Dodgers, even if your Ben Rohortfitt, other teams notice. So we'll see if he clears waivers and if the Dodgers bring him back. If not, Dalton Rushing more than capable, all right, Brian Gorman, Major League Umpire's gonna fill us in on this new automated strike zone that's coming into play in twenty twenty six. Don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk around the Corner on AM five seventy LA Sports. David Vasse Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. In case you missed any of our show from this past Saturday at Dodger Fest, you can find that on the iHeartRadio app. And our next show will be on Thursday night at seven o'clock and we'll share some of those interviews with you that we couldn't share on Saturday, including Max Munsey and Miguel Rojas. So you don't want to miss that show at seven o'clock with Max Munsey and Miguel Rojas. But like I mentioned in our last segment, there are going to be more changes to rules in Major League Baseball to basically generate more offense. And we saw it in spring training last year, the ABS system where the hitter or the catcher can challenge a ball or strike and you only have two per game, and talking to some guys that experienced this in the minor leagues. They believe it's going to force pitchers to come more into the strike zone. So we'll see how it plays out. But we are joined right now by one of Major League Baseball's observers. He certainly has observed a lot of baseball because he was an umpire in Major League Baseball for thirty seasons, three thousand, four hundred and thirty games. Umpired to be exact, and that is the one and only Brian Gorman. Brian, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's great to be on.
Speaker 1: So as we get closer to spring training, pitchers and catchers are reporting the day before Valentine's Day, I felt like this was a good night to remind fans that there are going to be more new nuances to the game of base ball. How do you feel about this ABS system from an umpire standpoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is going to be big this season. The biggest thing that I see about the ABS system is the number of challenges each team have two challenges per team for nine innings is really not that many, so you really have to be careful when you use them. So the strategy is really don't be so selfish in using one when you got nobody on and two outs and then you think a pitch is missed and you challenge it, and then you're wrong and you lose that challenge. Where you have a guy on second and third and one out, you might want to be you use that challenge. You don't want to lose it. So now the pitcher, catcher, and batter have to do it immediately. There's no delay and there's no signals from the dugout or anything like that. So the batter, pitcher and catcher have to challenge it immediately right after the pitch is called. So that that what's that even more strategy because you have to be careful when not to lose a challenge. So the situation is important, and you don't want to run out of challenges when it comes that you need one in the in the ninth inning, when you get some you're down a couple of runs and you have some guys on base.
Speaker 1: So just to be clear, you have two challenges for all nine innings. No challenges are going to be added in the ninth inning. What if extra innings occur.
Speaker 2: I think they have decided to maybe add a challenge if you still have your two challenges left. There's no change in it. But if you're out of challenges, you're thinking about adding a challenge. You if you if you have one challenge left and it's the top of the tenth inning, then you still have a challenge left. So the biggest thing is like, if you're right on a challenge and you get the call reversed, you keep that challenge. But there has to be a penalty or they would challenge every pitch for sure. So if you're wrong on the challenge and the and the umpire got it right, you're down to one challenge. So and so that's that's the strategy part of it.
Speaker 1: So we saw this in spring training last year. The spring training facilities that had you know, the video scoreboards, you would see where the pitch was and you would know pretty quickly. I know, you have to challenge quickly. How quickly is the process to keep the game moving, whether it's a ball or strike.
Speaker 2: That's the key. You have to do it immediately. So you have to be sure that the pitch was messed. If you just like, go that was closed, I'm going to challenge it, you might lose that challenge and you'll see. You know, the umpires are so good that, you know, people all realize this. Ninety five to ninety seven percent of the pitch is called are correct. So when you use your challenge, you're challenging you know, three percent of the calls of the pitches thrown that day. So you better be right if you want to if you want to save your challenges.
Speaker 1: That's the voice a veteran Major League baseball umpire Brian Gorman. Now, Brian, I've talked to players that have experienced the ABS system in the minor leagues, and the one thing they point out about this that may be a flaw is that David Vas say strike zone is different than let's say, Brian Gorman strike zone. Does this automated strike zone take into account, you know, different batting stances like let's say Ricky Henderson or Pete Rose compared to Cody Bellinger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the formula that they came up with is going to be based on the player's height, where a percentage of the lower percentage of the strike zone is based on the on the player's height, and the upper percentage of the strike zone is based on the player's height. So it will change depending on the taller player as opposed to a shorter player. East and west doesn't change. It's still the seventeen inches. So the higher end of the strike zone and the lower end of the strike zone will be adjusted for each player.
Speaker 1: Now, when you say a player's height, I mean Pete Rose was whatever he was, Ricky Henderson was whatever he was standing tall, But once they got into the back box and had that exaggerated bend over batting stands, their height was significantly different. Are we talking about batting stands height? Are we talking what they're listed in your program?
Speaker 2: We're talking. We're talking about the player's height when discussing the strike zone as this, if he's swinging at the pitch like you know, if you're a player and you just stand straight up, that has nothing to do with your strike sound. Your strike zone is determined as you're trying to strike at the pitch, So it changes lower in the upper end, in the lower end because your knees don't go any lower. But as you as you strike and swing to hit the pitch, that's what determines your upper and lower of the strike zone. So this formula they came up with is you know they're gonna they're gonna go with it, so I hope it works. We'll see in spring training.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like there might be some tweaks during the season or is this the technology the system depending on you know, if players start to complain about what their actual strike.
Speaker 2: Zone is, right, it's gonna it's gonna be an adjustment for everybody because they're gonna there's gonna be players saying, no, you know, my strike zune's too high or my strikes onus too low. But this is the formula can't came up with, and you know they have the ability to tweak it. But you know that's that's much higher than my pay grade when those decisions are made.
Speaker 1: No doubt, no doubt. Brian Gorman is our guest. He's one of Major League Baseball's observers. He's at Dodgers Stadium every game, watching the games, observing the umpires and a guy that umpired three thy four hundred and thirty games. Now, Brian, I remember one spring training game that the Dodgers were playing and Austin Barnes, who is known to have a great awareness of the strike zone, challenge four consecutive pitches and got them correct all four if that happens in a major league game, how much do does the homeplate umpires start to question himself? Is that one of the unintended consequences of technology that all of a sudden a major league umpire may not have the confidence to call balls and strikes? Could an umpire go into a slump in that type of situation?
Speaker 2: Oh, without question? What I saw is I'm glad, I'm glad I'm retired when this happened. Yeah, it's like you get having, you know, first pitch of the game being challenged, and you lose it that you know that would hurt you, that that searcher, you know, it gets in your head and says, oh my god, I got you know, two hundred and twenty five more pitches to call. But yeah, we'll see. I think, I think, I hope that what I said earlier about the ninety five percent of the pitches are called correctly. But I'm sure, I'm sure we'll have a situation where where there's you know, six or seven challenges early in the game and then and they've all been overturned, and it might be a long It's going to be a long night for some umpires.
Speaker 1: So Brian on the flip side, this might be validation for Major league gumpire to say, hey, this is proof we don't need a Twitter account to show our scorecard that's out there publicly. This will be proof that we're pretty good at our job.
Speaker 2: Right. I think that's happened in the minor leagues. There were a lot of these challenges. I think only about half of them were successful, so that means that the other half the umpire got it right. So you're gonna see even the pitches that are missed are probably missed within an inch of the play. Either either they just catch the corner or they're just slightly off the corner and that pitch was challenged. You're not going to see the pitch that's, you know, fourth five inches outside that you know, because they you know. I'm sure it happens once in a while, but not not very often.
Speaker 1: So have you seen how this works in minor league games?
Speaker 2: Brian, Yeah, yeah, I went to I probably went to about two dozen minor league games last year, and it's pretty good. I thought it would slow the game down. It doesn't seem to slow game down. I think I've only the most I've seenallenge was probably like maybe five or six a game, So I don't know what the average is, but that's for a nine to any game. I don't think that's many. And about half of those who were successful and then the other half the umpire got it right. So it didn't really affect the game time or that, you know, the enthusiasm of the fans raiming, and it just kind of banded a little bit to the strategy and and you know, obviously the fans wanted and you know what the fans. What the fans want, they usually get. So that's, uh, that's why we all go out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people in spring training last year enjoyed it, so it wasn't It didn't get bad feedback. Fans enjoyed it. And Dalton Rushing, who had the unique experience of being a catcher and a hitter in the minor leagues with all this going on, was a little torn. When I asked him about this last year, he said, as a catcher, I don't really love it because pitchers are forced to throw more in the strike zone, But as a hitter, I love it for that same reason. Did you see more offense? Did you see the pitchers have to fill up the strike zone more.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna spur a little offense, you know, in the long run, that's what they want. You know, they want more stolen bases. They love about two years ago they did a survey with all the players, and you know, the triple was the number one thing, and I think stolen bases was number two. So that's why they made the base the bases bigger, and they limited you know, step offs for pitchers. So people want to see runs. So that's why most of these these rules changes are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no doubt. Everybody loves the offense. Chicks dig the long ball, as they used to say when Mark McGuire was playing. Brian Gorman is our guest from the Canaje Valley. That's where he hangs out these days. But Brian Gorman's not only here to talk about the rules, He's here to talk about games at the umpire that involved Dodger history. Back in May of two thousand and two, Sean Green hit four home runs and he had a major league record nineteen total bases and our guy, Brian Gorman was behind the plate that day in Milwaukee. What do you remember about that day as a home plate umpire and unbiased observer in that situation.
Speaker 2: He had a pretty good evening. It's kind of funny because to be part of history and you don't have to do anything. Every time he got to the plate. I don't even think I called the pitch on him. He swung him four of it went over the fence. So but yeah, he had a pretty good night.
Speaker 1: Are you aware as an umpire about a player having that type of game or are you focused pitch to pitch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't know he broke the record until probably a couple of days later. Obviously, you know he's having a pretty good night when he hit the second home run, then he hit his third home run, then he hits his fourth home run. But apparently it was something like nineteen nineteen total bases and he had a couple guys on. I think he set the RBI record and all that stuff. So yeah, he at his weedies that boy.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you this question too. Milwaukee is known as a hitters ballpark, as Sean Green can attest to, if it's a hitters ballpark, does that mean it's easier to see the baseball and the strike zone If you're a home played umpire, in a ballpark like.
Speaker 2: That, Not really. I think most of most of the ballparks have a good we call it background where they have you know, the green or the dark dark blue background where dead center fields. You know, the hitters use it as well. And most of the time these ballparks are pretty uniform with the background. Sometimes on a day game like and Wriglarly, sometimes they take some of the tarps off and they put fans in there, and that might make it a little bit difficult to track a ball, track a pitch, But most of the ballparks have good backgrounds.
Speaker 4: All right. Good to know.
Speaker 1: Hey, Brian Gorman, thank you so much for coming on. You always educate us, and this is something fans should be prepared for because it's going to be part of their game during the regular season that matters. So it's just a good heads up on what's to come as we get closer to spring training. So thank you so much. How this develops, no doubt, and maybe I'll see you up there in the Canejo Valley soon.
Speaker 2: I will be out there. I'll be up in the press box. Have an ice cream?
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good, Brian, Thanks for.
Speaker 2: The time, all right, thank you there he goes.
Speaker 1: Major League Baseball veteran umpire, Brian Gorman. He's what they call now a Major League Baseball observer. Basically, he's there to monitor the umpires, seeing how the flow of the game goes. He's not a supervisor, but a Major League Baseball observer, a man that umpired three thousan four hundred and thirty games in his thirty years in Major League baseball. So thank you to Brian Gorman. Always great to see him at Dodgers Stadium. And look, this is something that you have to be aware of if you're a baseball fan, that the game is going to change for more offense. But like I mentioned to him, and it seems like he didn't even have the answer to the question about different stances requires different strike zones. I don't know what Ricky Henderson's height was standing up, but it certainly wasn't the same when he was at the plate because he had that bent over backwards kind of batting stance, bent over forwards batting stand similar to Pete Rose, who wasn't a big guy, but even smaller when he was in the batter's box. Think back to or think now to let's say Cody Bellinger, who stands straight up, he's a lot different. His strike zone is a lot different than Freddie Freeman's, who is a tall guy six' four six,' five but when he's in his, batting stance he is not six' four. OR six' five i believe that would be that would be the great example, of a player's height if the player's height is going to, determine, Their Strike zone well freddy freeman's height in the media guide and in the program and online is A Lot different than. Freddie freeman's strike zone when he's bent at the knees and basically two or three inches, squatted towards the ground his strike zone is a lot different than it would be, standing up and Look It sounded like brian gorman had the same questions but obviously doesn't want to get In Hot Water with major league, baseball because he said if you go back to, listen to that interview that's, above his pay grade and going back the, last couple of years even major league players that were on rehab assignment, would, tell me that yeah, it's a great idea but they still haven't. Perfected everybody's Strike Zone what is. Jock peterson's Strike Zone what is? Max Munsey's strike zone because munsey bends his knees quite a, Bit at the plate so whatever it is height is when he's being, measured for this technology is not his strike zone when. He's at the, plate so to me that is going to be the biggest question in spring training and as we transition into games that count and. This, Technology In play also brian gorman pointed out that there are just two challenges per, team for nine innings maybe an extra one. Added for extra innings but do they have to have a team? Meeting in the dugout there's certainly players on every team that believe that every pitch that's called a strike. Is not a strike there are certainly pitchers that believe every call against. Them should be challenged so who is going to be in? Charge Of All that is dave roberts going to have? To have a meeting are they going to have to have a hitters meeting and discuss this amongst their game plan, against not only pitchers but also their game plan as it comes to who's allowed to challenge or when. They're going to challenge so there are some things and if there is a player that burns the challenges and they don't have any at the. End of the game is there going to be some issues in that clubhouse against that player that was over? Zealous with THE challenges and Like I, mentioned the brian gorman. Here's another, Unintended Consequence you know austin barnes had four consecutive challenges correct that shook that umpire that day in. Spring training last year you can see. An umpire's confidence waiver if that, were to happen again because we saw It Happen at camel back ranch in, a spring training game how is that going to play out in front Of Fifty. Thousand at dodger stadium that's. Going to be interesting so there are a lot of unintended consequences and something you shoul be AWARE Of that The Abs automated strike zone challenge system is coming into Play This Year, in major league baseball and the way it's going to work is if a, player challenges the pitch whether it's a ball, or strike against them they're going to tap their helmet and you're going To see, it on dodger vision the computer version, the automated strike zone whether or not it was a ball or strike and that's going to be shown in the, stadium and on television so. Be ready for that everybody's talking about a lockout that may or may not even happen over. A year from now how about talk about what's happening in the here and now that is Significantly Going to alter major league, games between the lines and that's. This automated strike zone so. A lot to consider in case you Missed That, conversation with brian gorman you can Find it. On the iHeartRadio app we'll be Back with you on thursday. Night at seven O'clock You'll hear From Max. Munsey and miguel rojas had a chance to. Catch up with them we'll Share those. Conversations on Thursday Night thanks to ronnie foscio. For all his help thanks. To you for listening you can follow me On X AT the real Underscore dv And On. Instagram at officially Vass my picture With muldoon at the Attic is. On that instagram page so. Thank you for listening we'll Talk. To you on thursday siya