Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: Rhea Running Back hosted by Dodgers insider.
Speaker 1: David bass are in the mix.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this To get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven, two five seven Day, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Basset Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David vasse with you until four point thirty this afternoon, leading you up to Petros and money. The Dodgers close out this six game homestand with a disappointing series against the Marlins. Today. They fall three to two on getaway Day and lose two out of three to Miami for the first time since April of twenty eighteen. That's when Don Manningly was managing the Marlins. That's when Christian Yelich, John Carlos Stanton, we're still living on South Beach. But Clayton McCullough has somehow, some way found a way to inspire the young Marlins who do have talent, and they did not back down, did not flinch against the Dodgers in this series, and they beat the Dodgers two out of three, including the last two games of this series. Today the final score three to two, last night two to one. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Jose Mota will join us at four point fifteen. Plus I had a chance to catch up with Mookie Betts to get an update on where he's at in his recovery from a strained rhyd obleique strain. So we'll tell talk to Mookie Betts about his strained right O bleak and where he's at and when he may come back. Also, we'll get some postgame reaction here. But look, the Dodgers last night, even talking to some of the guys this morning. Last night was a very uninspired effort by the Dodgers' offense. They were first pitch swinging against a guy named Jansen Junk who had not pitched that well since a year ago, and he pitched six scoreless innings against them. I don't know how anybody could say that the Dodgers were good against the Marlin starters when Sandy al Kintara, who's one of the best, but the Dodgers got to him last year and last night didn't do anything against Jansen Junk, who pitched six scoreless innings. So I don't know how anybody could say the Dodger offense was good against the Marlin starters. And it was a frustrating end to the homestand a frustrating end to today's game, and a frustrating end for Freddie Freeman, who did not have a very good homestand he was zero for five today he grounds into the game ending double play and he's just three for twenty five to finish up this Homestand so maybe the road will do Freddy some good. But I'm not gonna say that he looks old and just put that blanket over him or put that label on him. He is thirty six years old. He plays every day, he wants to play every day. But there are certain games so far this season that he does look sluggish. He does look I don't want to say old, but he does look like a guy that needs a day off. But he doesn't want a day off. He doesn't want a DH. Last night, Otani was not the DH. Dalton Rushing was the DH. Freddy Freeman was playing first base. So at some point this season, the Dodgers are going to have to convince Freddy free that taking a day off or dhing when Otani's not is going to benefit him in the long run. I know he wants hits. I know he wants to achieve three thousand hits, but going oh for five is not going to help him. Going three for twenty five on a homestand is not going to help him. It's not helping the Dodgers. So at some point I feel like you got to see Dalton Rushing more at first base, or Keike Hernandez when he comes back, or maybe even Santiago Espinal. But my first choice is Dalton Rushing at first base on the days that Freddie Freeman gets a day off or if he's dching. But this is not all on Freddy. There were a lot of guys on this homestand that did not perform very well. Not only was Freddy three for twenty five, ti Oscar Hernandez, who did not get the start today. I thought that was interesting because he has really good numbers against Sandy Alkintara, and not too many guys can say that. Taoscar Hernandez on this homestand it was just three for sixteen. Hey, Sung Kim, who had a very nice road trip, was just five for twenty on this homestand and did not draw a single walk. So that's not ideal from your number eight hitter either. So those are the type of situational things that Dave Roberts is talking about. Kyle Tucker had his first walk off hit as a Dodger on Friday Night. It took a Kyle Tucker walk off base hit to beat the Marlins on Friday night. Let's not forget that, or the Dodgers could have been facing a sweep today and that certainly would not have set well with anybody. But these are the points in time in a season that you're going to have. I'm not going to freak out. I mean, you want to put it into context. I'd rather be the Dodgers at twenty eleven and losing two out of three to the Marlins than being where the Mets are, being where the Phillies are, being where the Red Sox are. I'd rather be where the Dodgers are. But games like this, games like last night, are frustrating in the moment. And today in the eighth inning, I was a little surprised that Dave Roberts decided to pinch hit for Max Munsey and Dalton Rushing in that eighth inning against Andrew Nardi, the left handed reliever for the Marlins. Munsey, by the way, has been excuse me. It was against John King, the left hander for the Marlins, who's really good. He was in the game in the eighth inning, the left hander, and basically, you know, righty's and lefties aren't doing much against John King. But Will Smith to start the year is hitting just a buck eighty eight against lefties, and he pinch hit Will Smith for Max Munsey in that eighth inning. And then Dalton Rushing, who is mashing lefties and righties almost four hundred against both, is pinch hit for Miguel Rojas. I didn't get that. You know, a lot of times rallies can be killed in the eighth inning, not necessarily the ninth inning, and those were two questions that I had. I was surprised that Dave Roberts pinched it for those two guys against that picture in that situation. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Freddie Freeman on sports and at LA.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, we're gonna go through that during the course of the season. Stretches like that happened, So just keep getting guys on base and ultimately we'll get them in.
Speaker 6: When you look at just kind of where your swing is at right now, it seems you know, but I mean it seems like there's a good contact.
Speaker 1: Just kind of where are you at.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just hit and miss, you know, two or three we're good today and then the other three are bad. Three of the bad so when I needed them to be good, that's just kind of you know, up and down right now, just trying to feel for it and hopefully get when fall against some confidence.
Speaker 7: What did you see when people playing.
Speaker 5: I hit it right at the second basement git with that, Yeah, tax show hanging tag verst It's pretty a really good place started season, Like, what has sort of done I'll put it would have fixed it by now if I knew thoughts, maybe.
Speaker 3: The day off of fix it.
Speaker 8: When you're looking at the top of the order collectively, what have you seen from the approach from you guys and where do you think it can be better?
Speaker 7: From a group?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I mean we've kind of been going through it. I would say as a group, luckily, we have really really good pitching, and that's why I kind of where we're at right now when we were going at the beginning the season. Offensively, you just kind of, you know, going through it right now, and you know, our pitching has been amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't want to not.
Speaker 5: Give them praise because they're the reasons why we have a chance to win every single game. But as an offense, we haven't, you know, the last few games haven't been where we wanted to be. So hopefully we're the day offul get back out of parting, all right.
Speaker 2: There's Freddy Freeman, very frustrated with himself and especially frustrated with the last play of the game, which at first glance, if you're at the stadium, you're a little confused by what's going on? Did the game really end that way? Yeah? Did? Xavier Edwards did a great job of finding a way to tag show Hao Tani in some way tag the first base back. Going back to look at the slow motion replay, Xavier Edwards fielded the ground ball from Freddie Freeman with the bases loaded in one out and was able to tag show Hao Tani, who was trying to delay the inevitable of Edwards getting at least one out to try to allow the run to score, trying to force Edwards to make a play, and as he was going back to first base, he kind of should have just gone for a straight line back to first base, but nonetheless, Edwards made a great play. He tags Otani, and then his pitcher, Calvin Foe said, who he saved, had his foot on the first base bag. He was trying to cover first base as Edwards was running to first base, and his foot was blocking the front part of first base as Edward was coming to it. And Edward steps on Fosay's foot, not on the first base bag, and that's why the Dodgers gave it a shot to replay, because he first steps on Fosay's foot, not on the first base bag and then somehow, some way feels that and is able to drag his foot across the bag for the third out of the inning and the game was over. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Let's go out to the phones for the first time. Let's go out to IRV. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi, Nick.
Speaker 1: DV.
Speaker 9: How are you, bro? Listen? Uh, you are a real broadcaster, now, Bro, And I've fought your whole career because I'm an old man, but you're your real credit and thank thank goodness we got you.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 9: I'm not worried about the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm not worried about the Dodgers at all.
Speaker 7: This is what happens through a season.
Speaker 9: But their pitching is unbelievable, and again today it was unbelievable. And if you look at their stats, it is unbelievable. The other thing I'll say is this, I will not be surprised if the Marlins make the playoffs, even this year as a wildcard.
Speaker 10: But look at this team.
Speaker 9: They're they're all up hugging each other after home runs, up and down the bench. They got that love and feeling like we've seen the Dodgers the last seven or eight years, and they got something going on in my in Miami. They got a great pitcher that what we saw today. And but no worries.
Speaker 10: I got no worries.
Speaker 9: I am looking forward to October. Baby down the line DV.
Speaker 2: All right, Nick, thank you for the phone call. And look like we had said last year, Mookie bed said it the best and it wasn't a shot at everybody else. But teams like the Marlins playing the Dodgers in LA, this is their World Series. I mean, the Marlins may sneak in as a wildcard team with how bad the Phillies and Meds are, but they're still a little short. But they are up and coming, and they are a young group, excitable group, and they come in and beat the Dodgers two out of three times and end the final game on an incredible play. Some would say Xavier Edwards made the defensive play of the season with what he did in the ninth inning. There and look it is their World Series. Did you ever hear of Liam Hicks? I mean, Liam Hicks has come out of nowhere at thirty years old to hit a three run home run on a Friday night and then hit a home run off a Tyler Glack today. I mean, right now, Liam Hicks may be an All Star for the Marlins. He has seven home runs and twenty eight RBIs hitting over three hundred. He came to play. Let's go out to Craig in Long Beach. I, Ray, Craig, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hi, Dave, Hey a really good job of analyzing some of the at bat. First off, there was no Friday game. That was a cup. You said that a couple of times, just for FYI.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, yeah, the days blended. It was Monday night.
Speaker 7: Sorry, it's been a blurner of a Homestand you know, last night I thought that Paz his bat looked like he was just dragging, like just a lot of really late reaction swings. I think if Max last night and the first inning popped out with the bases loaded, that really set a bad tone for the offense last night. And then Tucker with the US at bat Blooper in the ninth inning with a chance to tie it. So those are tough, tough at bats. But today, the thing that frustrated me today was we had two opportunities with leadoff guys on second base, and first it was Rushing zero strikes and hit the lazy fly ball the left field instead of, you know, trying to turn on something and at least get the guy over to third. And then Freddy did the same thing with only one strike on him. So some of the approaches that it almost looks like we're in the dog days of August and they're just dragging a little bit. So hopefully a day off and improving things on the road. But this was frustrating these last couple games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really was. And I think that's what Dave Roberts was saying after last night's game and again after today's game, poor situational hitting, and that's a good call, Ira Craig. Yeah, definitely, those are the things that get overlooked at the end of the game when you go back and take inventory of some of the poor at bats and situations. But hard to knock Dalton Rushing, who has been really good and not getting a chance to play every day, but when he does, he makes the most of it. He tied the game in the sixth inning off of Sandy al Kintara, and he was He's now seven for sixteen with eleven RBIs this year with runners in scoring position. The Dodgers just did not have good at bats the last couple of games, and that'll happen. But tip your cap to Sandy al Kintara, and I guess, to a certain extent Jansen Junk last night, who only threw seventy six seventy seven pitches and six scoreless innings. That should not happen if you're the Dodger offense. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Marlins beat the Dodgers today three to two, and you have to ask yourself, how does Tyler Glass now ever lose a game with the dominating stuff that he has not just this year, but any year in his career. And today he was really good. The Marlins just hit two ambush first pitch fastballs off of him for two runs, two solo home runs, and five and two thirds innings. I couldn't believe when he looked up at his box score that he walked six Marlins. That was hard to believe considering how dominant he was. Nine strikeouts today as well, and still nobody can touch his curveball. Nobody has had a hit off his curveball in his last three starts. But somehow, some way, he gets a no decision and the Dodgers lose the game three to two. It's said downstairs right now to hear from Tyler Glass now on Sports at LA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was definitely challenged.
Speaker 11: I think early on I felt good, like third and fourth inning felt great, and then the fifth and six I just it was super weird. I just lost timing flying open. It was just one of those days where it's just hard to throw strikes.
Speaker 6: When you look at that, and obviously you've put so much work into being able to get back after that. I mean, is there need to take away at least from that our learning or getting yourself back on track from how you close this one out.
Speaker 3: Like you're saying, like after today, trying to get.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just considering how much work you put into doing that to avoid from last year.
Speaker 3: I think just like easy fixes.
Speaker 11: I think I was just flying open too soon, getting like really aggressive with my front's side so it's just more about like staying patient and staying closed. Just one of those things today in the moment, was hard to fix.
Speaker 8: In the moment, the five of your six starts to start the season happening quality starts. When you look at that kind of totality, is there anything that stands out to you about any artsenal changes that you made or pitch changes that you think has led to that success.
Speaker 11: I think just keeping the throw what it is and kind of having a being in a good spot last year bringing into this year mixing it up a little bit more. But I think just kind of going out there and throwing it feels good and sequencing a little bit better. But I think for the most part, it's just like the throw itself.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Tyler Glass now after he gets a no decision with nine strikeouts in a three to two loss to the Marlins. He gave up two of the three runs that scored. Will Klein had two outs in the eighth inning, and it was unfortunate that Javier Sonoah hit a bleeder to right field that found some grass and that was the deciding run in the game. Today. With two outs in the eighth inning, eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Eugene, Oregon. Tom listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi, Tom, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey, damn, thanks Lotch.
Speaker 12: Just a quick question then I'm going to jump off and hear your answer.
Speaker 7: So Freddie Freeman really says be struggling somewhat this year.
Speaker 10: What are you hearing and what are you seeing? Is there any elf issues or is he concerned about his swing?
Speaker 12: I appreciate your time, Dave, It's always great to listen to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't believe Freddy's nursing any injuries. He's just in one of those bad spells that a lot of hitters go through. Who we're just not used to seeing Freddie Freeman go three for twenty five on a homestand he was zero for five today, and his betting average has dropped to two point fifty nine with an ops of seven forty two. I mentioned this last night after the game, and I'll say it again. I'm not saying this is the only reason. There's a lot of contributing factors, but the Dodgers ended playing thirteen in a row today for a team that is the oldest on average as far as age goes. Thirteen in a row is not easy for some guys, and there has been I don't know, whatever you want to call it, flew the crud, whatever you want to call it. It's been going through that Dodger clubhouse and it takes a lot out of you. I've seen these guys that have not been able to kick it for seven eight days, So that played into all this as well. I think tomorrow the day off is really going to benefit this team. And the reason why I bring it up is because after that eighteen inning game in Game three of the World Series last year, the Dodgers admitted that they were the team that we all thought was going to have momentum and win the next two at home. It was the Blue Jays that won the next two at home because the Dodgers were so worn down after playing eighteen innings. So that sticks out in the back of my mind when the Dodgers are going through stretches of time like this where they're at the end of playing thirteen in a row, and they'll play sixteen in a row at the end of May as well. Let's go out to Glendale. Robert, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Robert, Hey, Dave.
Speaker 12: Of second Time, long Time. I think I called in months before. Thanks for taking my call. I wanted to off of what you were saying about Freddie Freeman and maybe having him DH and having Russian play first. I think that's an excellent idea, and then kind of ties in to what I was thinking, which is that the Dodgers have been doing a great job of getting rushing at bats on days that he's not catching. I think that they've been doing a better job of that this year than they were last year, and both rushing and the Dodgers have benefited for that. So I wanted your thoughts on that. And then also Andy pa has He's a guy that, honestly, I've always felt like he's very hit or missed, and he has these streaks where he's doing amazing makes amazing plays. Nobody can forget the play they made in the World Series. Defensively, he's a valuable addition to the team, but he seems like offensively, he gets into a good spurt and then he just kind of forgets the strike zone a little bit. And we saw that today with a bad challenge he probably shouldn't have made, and then he strikes out in that at bats and just wander your thoughts on those two players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're both homegrown players. Let's establish that right away. And number two, Dalton Rushing came into spring training with a full season ahead of him and the right frame of mind of what to expect in the big leagues number one, what to expect as a backup catcher the Will Smith number two, And he made adjustments to his swing to be able to adjust to this new role that he has embraced more this year than he did when he was first called up last year. And that's kind of the reason why Ben rourtvitt took go over the catching duties behind Will Smith last year. So I think all of that has helped Dalton Rushing be better prepared for this season. As far as Andy Pie has go, you know, he's not going to hit five hundred or four hundred all season long. He was due for a little bit of a dip and on this homestand he had six hits, so he's cooled off. But he's still one of the better Dodger hitters production wise so far. This year. Let's go out to Daniel in Soritos. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Doing I'm doing great, Dave. It was a great, great day at the ballpark. Kind of a weird game. Agree with what you said about Glass now, he was he was quite good, impressive. My question is why does Shohey Otani not run harder into second base routinely and specifically on the final out. If he had run straight ahead, full speed and then he runs into the second baseman who made the play, or the shortstop, why wouldn't he have been called for interference? Okay, at worst he's called for interference, he's tagged out, but then Freddie is safe and the run scores.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, he was trying to do a version of what you just described, trying to force Exavier Edwards to try to make a play, try to stall the final out for as long as he could to allow the time run to score. And I guess in his judgment right there, he thought if he kept running towards second base, it would have been an easier tag by Edwards on him, because Edwards was charging on the ground ball and if Otani's running, he's gonna tag him out and he throws, flips the ball the first base and it's an easier double play. So he was trying to extend the play.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but he he he very if you watch him even earlier in this game, he h, I know.
Speaker 2: What you're talking about. There was another double play that Freddie hid into and that was an easy play. I mean it was for me, tou double play earlier in the game, and that was that was in the fifth inning there, or excuse me, the seventh inning.
Speaker 10: Right, he he. He almost always runs easy and then he'll move out of the way.
Speaker 2: I disagree with you. I disagree with you. I just think on certain plays, if you watch most runners, especially now with that rule, that utterly rule that they put in, there's really no advantage of trying to go in and break up the double play like it used to be. I mean, you saw Dalton Rushing do it in San Francisco and everybody you know almost doubled over. How could he do that? That was such a dirty play. Now, that was the way baseball was played back in twenty fifteen. So there's no there's nothing to gain by doing what you're saying these days, Daniel.
Speaker 10: Well, but that's that's fair I'll take your you know, I'll take your answer as that. But Dalton Rushing wasn't penalized.
Speaker 2: Was he? Uh No, But we'll see how it goes with the Dodgers and Giants next time they play, because they took exception to it and he was lucky that he wasn't called because he was definitely not going to slide into the base. He was going for the fielder, which was Willie Adamas. We gotta run, Daniel. Thank you for the phone call, appreciate it. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue more of your phone calls, you'll hear from Mookie Betts and we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Marlins come to La, take two out of three and beat the Dodgers today on a Wednesday afternoon, three to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are with you until the bottom of the hour. That's when Petrosen Money will take over, leading you up to Game five of the first round matchup between the Lakers and Rockets. So a big day in LA with the Dodgers playing a matinee and the Lakers playing a playoff game tonight. Unfortunately, the Dodgers close out this homestand with a to the Marlins three to two. It was Will Klein who took the tough luck loss, Andrew Nrdi the winning pitcher in relief, and Colin fo Say with the save, his first of the year, despite having more walks than innings pitched this season. And that's the way the ninth inning was going and that's why it was disappointing. With one out and the bases loaded, the game ended on a double play groundball double play by Freddie Freeman. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit a five to seventy LA Sports dot Com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream. We did have a chance before today's game to catch up with Mookie Betts. If you remember, before the last homestand ended, I had a chance to catch up with Mookie, and he sounded more optimistic about his return than he did today. Here's what Mookie said about where he's at with that strained rhight obleak.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't really know.
Speaker 13: I mean, it's just kind of wake up and see how it feels. Oblik's starting something you really kind of mess with, you know, so when it feels good, then we keep progressing. But then if not, then we'll kind of take a rest day or whatever. But I mean we're getting closer, I mean starting to swing and add on a little intensity. Last time I added on some intensity with DP, it got sore after, so you know, we just gotta slowly. So that's really the last piece, is just adding on a velocity, like hitting off the machine and everything. But I think I've kind of started to turn the corner to where every day I'm starting to wake up and it feels good.
Speaker 2: Do you think you could trust to just go to that next step?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, we hate yesterday, hit today.
Speaker 13: I think we'll just keep slowly progressing hitting you know, coach BP and once that feels good and add on to you know, the next step to velosity. Last time I hit Coach BP, I was kind of sore the next day, so.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 13: Probably the next day or so, I'll probably hit VP again and then we'll just take a step by step. It's just one of those things where actually it's kind of the opposite. It hasn't taken as long. I'm I'm actually kind of ahead of where most obliques are. But the boys have been playing well, and so I don't have to overly rush back.
Speaker 3: I have to make sure.
Speaker 13: They're doing everything they need to do, so I can just kind of sit back and watch.
Speaker 2: All right. There was Mookie Betts earlier today about where he's at with that right oblique strain. It doesn't sound like he's coming back on this upcoming road trip, and we'll have to see how he's feeling when the Dodgers return home on the next home stand. That will have him here for three against the Braves, four against the Giants, and then going down the five to Anaheim in San Diego, So hopefully he's back during that stretch of time. All right, let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 4: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jose Mota on Friday night, we were wondering what Clayton McCullough would do in the ninth inning if Miguel Rojas would have got that bunt down. Excuse me, Monday night, if Miguel Rojas would have got that bunt down and first base would have been open for sho Heyo Tani. Well, today, Alex Freeland got the bunt down, first base was open, and he put up the four fingers immediately to have a cold Freddie Freeman at the plate. So when you look at what he was going to do what he did today, would you still have sacrificed those two runners over?
Speaker 14: Freddy Freeman is not the top of hitter we saw throughout this homestand Dave and you got to take chances with guys that are proven Freddie Freeman Throught's careers with three thirty average. Well, Beni Scorn was, yes, I would take that chance any single time because has worked in the past more time than not. And today just happened to be the unfortunate situation that a very strange play ends up the ball game.
Speaker 2: Y t Oscar Hernandez was standing on the top step of the dugout when Freeland was on deck were you thinking that if Kim doesn't get on base, that ta Oscar Hernandez was going to pinch hit for Freeland or why was he on the top step? Was he a decoy? What was the thought there?
Speaker 14: Oh, for sure, he's a threat. I mean, he's the guy that you want for one swing and you got to pick your spouse of tail two against the matchup and we're you're looking for Tail in that situation, Dave, You know very well it's one swing, but you got to go out there and pick the right situation. It's not a situation where you want tell us it to be a situational type of hitter. Just Hey, your job is either to drive in or run or to go out there and get one swing out of you. But you know, the Bottles pitch well throughout this whole series, and they painted corners and they he actually got the dog. You spread his own a little bit more they wanted to. But yeah, going back to that question day, for sure, you got to pick your smug with Tail, especially when he's not feeling very well, to understand that the matchup is still be right for you for him to get that one good swing to give you a run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the matchup was gonna stay the same with that Colin fo Say, who couldn't find the strike zone. And Freddy Freeman is in a funk that we're not used to seeing. Freddy Freeman in three for twenty five on this homestand oh for five today, batting average in the two fifties, ops in the seven hundreds. Jose, that's not a great matchup.
Speaker 14: No for Freddy. I mean, I will take my chance with Freddy anybody. I don't care if it's still one hundred miles an hour. Lefty, Lefty, He's gonna find a way with this swing. Nah, But Freddy's gonna find it somehow, because Freddy can do on the fly what a lot of guys can do, which is tell himself, I'm gonna hit this ball in the label because I need to get back to where I was right now. If you look at his swings from the side, everything is cutting through, and Freddy's a guy with a lot of gestures when things are not and that swing is not right, and he's told you many times he understands where he is, and then he gets a little bit jumpy. The swing comes through the zone and then he gets on top of the baseball, you know, the one that you started rolling. But dum, going back to the situation today again, Freddy Freemant will be my.
Speaker 2: Guy, okay, And in the eighth inning I was a little surprised and wondering why Max Munsey was pinched for and Dalton Rushing were pinched for for two right handed hitters and Smith and Rojas against the lefty John King. Munsey has been better against lefties this year and Rushing has been crushing lefties this year. Will Smith coming into the game only hitting a buck eighty eight against lefties. Were you wondering the same thing I.
Speaker 14: Was, David, I agree with you one hundred percent. And Dave Roberts said it here a few days ago, a few nights ago on your show. There's times when the lefty is the one scenario who's going to fix your swing or keep you square. And we're not talking about atomatic house right now against left endant pitchers in both you know, Muncy and Rushing and these guys to me, at least with the flow of the game today, with the day game and all that going on, and also with you know the fact that Rushing is making he's making good to justice as a game progresses, and for Max Mounsey, every single of that today was a good one. He lined out, he hit the double, and then he moved the guy all over second and third, which nobody else could do before him. Uh So those are two things that I think day will have to go more on field than anything else, and not so much on the matchup where the blue dots are in the square folds the red or blue or gray, but just to know the flow of the game right there, I like to see those lefties phaser left. They're not automatic els. I like that swing.
Speaker 2: I guess it goes back to Miguel Rojas commenting on social media about what John John Schneider said about you know, the different colored lineup cards. It always comes up against Rojas. But you gotta believe in the guy, and in the situation.
Speaker 14: You gotta believe in how you see in the swings and believe that not be a graph or a chart. And Dave Roberts, that's what he's won a couple of World Series in a row. He's forgotten about that book comes September October and just gone onto the field. I understand where you're trying to find from guys that are maybe a better matchup lefty righty, because the book says that, the numbers say that, the analytics say that, But I think the flow of the game to me, means way more. In a game like today against the moment, seemed that those two guys do exactly how to be in pitch two and had a better idea and where be able to kind of close down the zone a little bit more to get better pitches to that. So it didn't happen, But I don't expect this to be automatic every single time out from now on.
Speaker 2: You what do you believe the Dodger lineup as a whole needs to do to get back to where they were the first couple of weeks of the season. The Dodgers have shuffled the lineup a little bit here and there. That doesn't seem to have really jump started things. Especially Kyle Tucker, who was swinging over fifty percent of the times that the first pitch he sees. That's not very Kyle Tucker, Like.
Speaker 14: No, it's not. It goes against his numbers in his career. It seems like he is trying to do way too much, and I think you start to do way too much what all we change, Davis, guy like Andy pie Is right, the league knows that you are one of the best hitters in baseball. Now it's time for you to let the league readjust to you. But he's not adjusting. Pie is swinging. Pis has hit more foul ball than anybody else throughout this homestead, and good pitches to hit. He's back to the old signs and habits of getting out of the baseball, trying to produce and hind the ball hard than he can. And you see him lunging a whole lot. But overall, what I see is two things. Number One, there's a lot of rushing at bats stays, and when you take more team at bats, you take more of a two strike approach. RDI accounts they have always been better, and is what I'd like to see as they leave here for this road trip is it is what we saw when they left after the Guardians and went to Washington Toronto, where everything was a better flow, deeper at bats, work the counts, and also don't let the guy in the Mountain Russia abs All.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose, We'll see if the Dodgers can put that all together on this six game road trip to Saint Louis and Houston. Thanks a lot for checking in and ending the homestand on a great phone.
Speaker 14: Yes, no changes for me today, No combos from Brebeck.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jse. We'll see you on the road.
Speaker 14: Ideals, there it goes.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. After the Dodgers fall to the Marlins three to two. They did take two out of three from the red hot Cups, ended their ten game winning streak, but then they come back and let down against the Marlins, who were very up for this series. As Miami takes two out of three, Clayton McCullough, the manager for the Marlins, the former Dodger first base coach, gets his team to come into Dodger Stadium to take two out of three before the Dodgers head out on this road trip to Saint Louis and Houston. Eight six six nine eight seven two five point seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to San Jose. Isaac, you're on Dodger Talk. Thanks for listening to us on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Hey Dave, what's up?
Speaker 15: Man?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 15: I appreciate all the hard work and all the time you take on the show. Hey, I just want to say, Hey, the team hasn't had a day off. It seems like what in two weeks.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 14: I think the just finished, right, Yeah, so I.
Speaker 15: Think the team just needs to enjoy the day off. Maybe have some bruise tonight, go see where Budweiser's made, have a boys night, and let's just get back into it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: I think it's pretty simple. Boys need to be boys, Guys need to be guys.
Speaker 15: Let's just take the day off, reset, and let's get him starting this weekend.
Speaker 2: You know what's great about where the Dodgers are going, Isaac, Saint Louis. There are no distractions in Saint Louis. There there is nothing to do there. Maybe the guys will play some golf tomorrow, but that's about all you can do in Saint Louis. It's one of my bottom five cities in all of America as far as Major League Baseball goes.
Speaker 7: Hey, that sounds great for that.
Speaker 15: Let's just hunker down, let's play some games, some cards, have some bruise, and let's whip on anymore.
Speaker 2: Isaac, this isn't nineteen eighty five with Keith Hernandez and Willie McGee. They're not having Bruce and playing cards in the hotel. Okay, but no, I know what you're saying. A day off can do these guys a lot of good. After playing thirteen in a row. Look, some guys were affected more than others. So you're right, tomorrow's day off can do a lot of these players good. Hey, by the way, Isaac, were you at the Ontario San Jose game last week when snell Zilla was making his rehab start.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 15: He came up and said hi to my daughter.
Speaker 10: It was it was really cool.
Speaker 7: We're hanging out.
Speaker 15: He was warming up by the bullpen, and then he came up Sai hide to my daughter and then.
Speaker 9: You know, said what's up?
Speaker 7: And yeah, it was a great time.
Speaker 10: Snell's the man.
Speaker 2: When he came up to your daughter, did he say what's up? Dog?
Speaker 10: No, he said what's up, little mama.
Speaker 7: It was the funniest thing. I was like, this freaking guy, he does not turn it off.
Speaker 9: He's the best. He's the best.
Speaker 2: No, that's him. That's not a character, that's him. Thanks, Isaac, appreciate the phone call. Yeah. Snelzilla pitched his second rehab start for Ontario in Ontario last night, three scoreless innings, allow just one hit, had six strikeouts, no walks. His fastball was there, his slider was there, his changeup was there. He's just trying to get the feel for his curveball. But he still got at least one more rehab start, maybe two more. The next one, though, is coming up Sunday for Oklahoma City against Round Rock. Let's take one more phone call before we say goodbye, Petro. Some money are on deck right now. Let's go out to Carson. Mike close us out tonight on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 16: Hey, what's going on today. I'm just heading back from the game now. I'll tip my cap to the Marlins. I think it was one of the first calls you took. Yeah, they could sneak their way into the playoffs. Tyler looked great. You know, some sluggish at bats for sure, but that's baseball. I think he took my call on Friday. I was pretty devastated after that Cub loss. But you know, today, you know, you know, it's just one of those games. The off day is going to do him good.
Speaker 2: So all right, Mark, Mike, thanks a lot for calling in. Appreciate it. By the way, I'll leave you with this. The Marlins, like I said, came to Dodger Stadium like it was their World Series, and for good reason. Uh they've only been to the playoffs four times in their thirty three year history, so this was their World Series. And congratulations, you took two out of three from the Dodgers at the end of April Miami. All right, that'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tomorrow, the Dodgers have a day offense Saint Louis. They'll be at it Friday night at Bush Stadium. Em Mit Sheen will be on the mound for the Dodgers against left hander Matthew Libatur. Our coverage begins on Friday night at four o'clock with Tim Kats and Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck, first pitch at five point fifteen, and tomorrow night, we don't stop. We can't stop. We won't stop. That's what they say, and that's what I was told to do. Those were my orders years ago, and that's why Tomorrow night we will have off day Dodger Talk at seven o'clock, so we'll get more into the Dodgers their quest on how to navigate this season. For their best chance to three peat, something that hasn't been done since the Yankees did it back in two thousand. All right, thanks to Colin Yee and Zachelcaldy back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Coming up next, Petros and Money. They'll take you to seven o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Once again, the final score from Dodgers Stadium. The Fish beat the Dodgers three to two. We'll talk to you tomorrow night at seven. Petrols and Money are next. Seal Seal