Speaker 1: This is America's Trucking Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: Lulhame more.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tuning in on this Thursday morning atn the show that is the exception of the rule that nothing good happens after midnight.
Speaker 2: By the way, happy thaw Day.
Speaker 3: I'll let that sink in for a second. You may be asking Kevin, what the hell is slaw day? That is the day according to Butterball Turkey and some of the turkey experts that if you have a turkey and it's frozen, this is the day you take it out of the freezer put it in the refrigerator in order to get it to thaw. And they talk about in terms of rule of thumb. Now, you didn't expect to get on here and get a cooking show, but you know that just explains and shows the diversity of this show and how wide range of knowledge we have. You pull it out of the refri what is it every day for every four pounds of turkey? And so again you just have to back that off. Now, once the turkey is thawed, it can stay in the refrigerator for up the four days. So if it thaws out earlier than you know, the day of Thanksgiving or that Wednesday, or whenever you're going to prepare the meal, it will be good for four days in the refrigerator. So again, happy thaw a day, and thank you. You're welcome from America's Truck and Network. Got some interesting information here on the housing alarm. There's a well they're calling it a housing alarm. I would say it's just a kind of a blip on the radar screen. Housing alarm. As half of US homes fall in value, biggest drop since the Great Recession. Home values are falling for more than half of America, the biggest shares since the country was last clawing its way out of the Great Recession. Now, based on that headline, and based on that first sentence, you would think, oh my god, this guy's falling and housing market is going to hell in a handbasket. Things are not working out the way they should. However, we'll get into that here. New data from Zillo shows that fifty three percent of US homes have lost value over the past year, the highest level since twenty twelve, when the housing crash finally hit bottom. National market looks flat on paper, but the average masks huge differences in regions, cities, and even neighborhoods. Price have been slipping in much of the South and the West as more homes in the market and buyers stay on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just cut through the crap here.
Speaker 3: They go through all these these sentences here and makes it seems alarming and all that, But the bottom line here is we'll talk about it is what we saw as far as the pandemic. A lot of home values soared during that period of time, and we're hitting record peaks, and there was rampant well if you want to call it inflation in terms of the prices, in terms of when you look at the value of the homes, how fast these homes were rising. There were areas in the country where we were seeing fifteen sixteen percent increases in home values just in a one year period of time. And at some point in time you get to the point where that has to kind of pull back a little bit and get back to some sort of normalization. And this is what it is. But the fifty three percent number has to do with some of the locations when you talk about some of the more populous parts of the country and some of the country, some of the cities within these particular states where people were flocking to because during the whole you know, again getting back to the pandemic, when people realize that they can work from home, or we saw stories about people who just said, well, you know what, I don't you know if i'm you know, if I'm in the Midwest or I'm up north or something like that, if I'm doing remote shoot, I could be down in Florida, I can be in the Bahamas, I can be wherever it is. And so I'll rent a place down there or buy a place down there. Then they had a little conundrum once this company said you know what, this ain't working. We're going to bring people back in the office. And they're saying, well, wait a minute, I've already moved down here. Well that's not the company's problem, that's your problem. And so anyway, with people moving to these you know, hotspots and stuff, of course, when you have an influx of people, when you have a limited supply, those prices are going to go up. When you look at and here on the map, it looks like well, Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Tampa, Jacksonville and Orlando.
Speaker 2: Most of these countries, most of.
Speaker 3: These cities are in either resort areas or in very areas where it's sunny in the south and where the weather is more pleasant than up north where you deal with the snow. So again the map breaks down using houses, and of course again with the people in those areas. When you take the large metropolitan groups in the metropolitan areas, of course that's going to be a bulk of the houses, and that's why that fifty three percent number is there. But when you look at individual neighborhoods, when you look at areas like my area, here, my area, and there here in Greater since Northern Kentucky area, our prices are pretty stable. As a matter of fact, during the plant or during the housing crisis back in twenty two thousand and eight two thousand and nine, we did see in certain areas about a forty percent decrease in the value of homes as a result of that housing crisis, But there were certain neighborhoods where that wasn't even affected at all. There's a couple of neighborhoods in Northern Kentucky near me which basically saw no decrease in terms of the value, but again it depends on the individual pocket of the area and so on. Now Tampa is seeing one of the sharpest reversals in Florida, with over eighty percent of the homes now worth less than a year ago. The city's rapid run up in prices has given way to steep corrections across much of the metro area. According to Trey men Hurtz, senior economic researcher at Zillo, says, the downturn is a normalization, not a crash. Now we have to get to that phrase, a normalization instead of a crash. On the second page of the story, I mean, if you just look at the headline, and again this gets back to a lot of the stuff that I've been talking about. If you're the type of person that are just looking at the headlines, if you're a younger person, which they ought with a lot of the younger people do.
Speaker 2: All they do is they flash through their.
Speaker 3: Phones, they look through the headlines, and that's what develops their impression of what's going on in not only in the country, the world or the economy. And so if you see something housing alarm, as half of all us homes fall and value biggest drop since the Great Recession.
Speaker 2: That would scare the hell out of you.
Speaker 3: But when you get to the second page and it looks at and they get into it and say that, well.
Speaker 2: It's based a correction.
Speaker 3: It's not a panic type of thing.
Speaker 2: It's just a normal return to normalization.
Speaker 3: Despite the widespread decline, their few homeowners are really underwater. Naturally, the median gain and since the house was last sold is sixty seven percent, So people that bought their homes whenever whenever, it is the average across the board is that house is now worth sixty seven percent more than what it was when you first bought it, you know, clicking dirty math, if you bought the house for one hundred thousand dollars, it's now worth one hundred and sixty seven thousand dollars. So if it comes down a little bit in value of five percent, six percent, they'reabout range. You're still well above that one. You know, a sixty percent range increase in the terms as far as your house is concerned. Nationally, a median gain since a home was last sold to sixty seven percent. Mentioned that overall, very few Americans are in the home worse than what they less than what they paid for. Only four point one percent of the US homes are now valued below their last sale price, a smaller share than before the pandemic. Even among new listings, just three point four percent are priced below.
Speaker 2: The seller origin.
Speaker 3: The sellers originally paid roughly half the rate since seen in twenty nineteen. So again you're talking about a small percentage now from some of the stuff that I've observed over the years, especially where I live, the condo complex I live in, there have been situations where you look at the value overall value of some of the properties. And there was a year in which one couple that was living there, their son bought a home down in I think it was North Carolina and built on an in law suite or an area for them to live, and so they said, hey, mom and dad, come down here and live with us. They price their condo at a fire sale, which was they had been in that unit for about twelve years. They priced it at what they had paid for it then. So when they sold that like right away, that pretty much, you know, in terms of your comps, dropped the value of a lot of the homes around the area. In the area, person next door in a condo. He and his wife got married. They had been talking in terms of and this all happened in one year. This is probably about well, probably about ten years ago. But these are some of the things you have to look into the individual numbers to see where they are actually at. So the couple got married, they were talking about moving and they said, well, we're going to be very slow about doing that. We want to find the right house. We're not going to buy a house and then have to sell our house or sell the condo here in order to move in. Well, as it turned out, they found a home that they loved, and they had been looking for about a year year and a half. They found a home that they loved, they went ahead and bought it. And then their condo they actually sold it for a a little bit right around what they had paid for it, like six seven, eight years before that. So when you have some of these type of situations going in there, that will affect the overall price and may may give some of the reason why some of these homes are on the market. Three point four percent of the houses are less than what they paid for. Coming on, we'll talk a little bit more about this. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 1: This is the raething reboard on America's Trucking Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 5: The Las Vegas Grand Prix, set for Sunday, the third last race in the twenty twenty five season. Las Vegas is becoming a halo event, not just for the city of Las Vegas, but also for Formula One as a business. Las Vegas joined the calendar in twenty twenty three. Lando Norris retook the lead in the drivers' championship ranks in the Formula One with his commanding victory in Mexico bolstering his position atop the leader board. With three races remaining in the f one season, Norris's tally stands at one hundred and ninety, giving him a twenty four point advantage over his McLaren teammate Oscar Pastre, while Red Bulls Max or Staffen stands third, forty nine points behind.
Speaker 1: This is the racing reboard on America's Drugging Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: Say Dennison, a t N, you know what your customers are doing right this second? The exact same thing you are listening to me, which, let's be honest, is kind of flattering. But my point is, adds on iHeartRadio actually get heard in the car, at the gym, on the couch while people are walking their dogs.
Speaker 2: Who's a good boy?
Speaker 6: Who's a good boy?
Speaker 2: You're a good boy. That's right, You're a good boy. So why not make the next ad about you? Get started today?
Speaker 6: Call eight four four eight four four iHeart or go to Iheardadvertising dot Com. That's eight four four eight four four iHeart or Iheardadvertising dot com.
Speaker 2: A message from DAV to all returning veterans.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Thank you for doing your duty. Thank you for doing our bidding. Thank you for laying it all on the line. Thank you for stepping up and not backing down. Thank you for putting your future on hold to put our enemies on notice. Thank you for putting your buddies' lives ahead of your own. Thank you for putting yourself in harm's way. Thank you for defending our freedom, for displaying your honor, for being a hero even though you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Be called one.
Speaker 4: For all this and more, DAV thanks you, and we're here to help you. Expert Dav advisors will make sure you get the health, disability and financial benefits you are promised and earned. If you're a veteran, visit dav dot org for free health and again thank you.
Speaker 1: A decade ago, I was on the trail of one of the country's most elusive serial killers, but it wasn't until twenty twenty three when he was finally caught.
Speaker 2: The answers were they wrapping this up?
Speaker 3: The headline housing alarm as half of the US homes fall in value, biggest drop since the Great Recession. Now, I love that phrase great recession because you know, my memory is pretty clear that wasn't so great. I don't know why you'd I mean, obviously I know why it's a great recession because it is, you know, because they call it the Great Depression back in the thirties. But still great has to do with how large it is, not how wonderful it was. I can assure you of that. The Market Seeing, and we talked about in the previous segment, as we ended up there even among new listings just three point four percent our price below, with the seller originally paid roughly half the rate scene in twenty nineteen, Market Seeing the most listings priced below previously sale prices were ones that surged fastest during the plandemic I mean pandemic, including San Francisco, Austin, and San Jose. But in many metros across the Northeast, Midwest and Great Lakes region, less then two percent of sellers are taking a loss. So again, kind of a more of a stable area and an area that is not necessarily subject to the large fluctuations up or large fluctuations down.
Speaker 2: So kind of that steady stream.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the advantages of having kind of a steady market in terms of home prices or where you live, or even in investments. When you go in that rate, you're going to be getting the normal gains. You're going to get the small gains. You're not going to get the peaks, you're not going to get the values you're just or valleys. You're going to get kind of an overall upward trend. So I mean, it depends on where you want to go. If you want to go into a high area where the market is on fire, you're also going to be suffering when you come back and those prices drop.
Speaker 2: So again it depends.
Speaker 3: But the West, Northeast Midwest and Great Lakes region, less than two percent of the sellers are taking loss. Denver seeing the steepest slide in country, with ninety one percent of homes falling from their peak value. The Mile High City was once a pandemic boomtown boomtown, but rising supply and weaker demand have now.
Speaker 2: Pushed prices sharply lower.
Speaker 3: Dallas Long Long, one of the strongest housing markets in the South, has not escaped the cool down. About eighty seven percent of the homes have dropped from the peak value as a flood of new supply of higher borrowing costs way on the mark on the demand, new supply and borrowing cost way on demand. Austin's red hot housing market has cooled dramatically, with eighty nine percent of the homes now worth less than what they were at their peak. Texas Capital was one of the nation's fastest growing metros during the pandemic, but is now wrestling with oversupply and falling buyer demand surgeon. The surgeon sales signs haven't brought buyers back, and prices are now dropping in most of the country again, getting back to a normalization, not a panic, not the bottom dropping out of the market. It's just things, you know, things off in the stratosphere, just kind of coming back down to earth a little bit. So nothing to be a panic's about. But I saw the story, and I'm sure people are going to be talking about that and spoon Federick urgitators in mainstream media will run with that and try to make ky out of it.
Speaker 2: But you know the story here and you know the facts.
Speaker 3: Yesterday this was weird because I went on a couple of websites early in the morning yesterday. I didn't have a chance to talk about this. Yesterday we interviewed, we had the interview with Phil Flynn that we were running, and then we had some other stories that I wanted to get to. But during the day I went online to try to go on a couple of websites. And you know, when I don't know about you, but me, when I go to a website and all of a sudden, they're saying, well, you know you've got to do this, you got to do that because or you've got to verify there to your hum And I'm thinking, wait a minute, I'm going to this website every day now for the last year. Why are they suddenly now asking if I'm a human or whatever, what the hell is going on? You know, you get out of the website, and you go back in and you get some other weird message, and I keep thinking, what am I doing wrong?
Speaker 7: Was?
Speaker 3: It turned out cloud Flare outage disrupts x chat, GPT and other parts of the Internet. Cloud Flare, a company that helps websites secure and manage their Internet traffic. Well, apparently not so well if the websites went down experienced an issue with a global network, the company said early Tuesday, disrupting service for many websites and apps. Companies said it believed the problem was resolved around nine to thirty a m. Eastern through, roughly four hours after the first reported issue. It said that it was continuing to monitor the situation, and then it still had reports of intermittent errors. I'm telling you what, at nine o'clock nine thirty, the websites, that's when I discovered that the stuff was down. Because I was looking at some other things and looking at some of the stores hadn't gotten to the previous day try to determine what I was going to do as far.
Speaker 2: As the show during some early prep if you will.
Speaker 3: But when I got on the websites at nine point thirty, A lot of them were still down, and I'm thinking, oh my god, what's going on. Well, a couple minutes and by about ten o'clock later that morning, they were all up and running. Usually began reporting problems with the website apps that used cloud Flare. Before seven am, the company acknowledged on the website issue to potentially impact multiple customers. By eight p fifteen, the company set at the error levels and so on.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I kind of wonder about that, and if this is a company that handles and tries to smooth out the Internet traffic so that you don't have these outages, and suddenly you have these outages, You'll wonder if there's a glitch in their system, if they were hacked. Certainly they don't want to admit to being hacked, because if they're providing services to companies to make sure that their flow is even, you certainly don't want to know that you're You certainly don't want your customers to know that your company was hacked, which means that they could probably get in there and hack these other companies through the portal that you're opening. As far as some of the services you're providing, So I guess we'll see one of these days how that shook out. Multiple online services appeared to have been affected by the issue at cloud Flare, including Spotify, Amazon, Open Ai. According to down Detector and Online Outage Tractor Tractor Tracker, the outage is a reminder that certain companies have an outsized role in making the global Internet work. Last month, Amazon Web Services experienced problems with its service, disrupting a wide range of online services for hours.
Speaker 2: Days later, Azure.
Speaker 3: Microsoft's cloud service system, also experienced an outage. Last year, you may recall that cybersecurity firm cloud Strike experienced a bigger outage that cause global it meltdown and hit airlines, hospitals, and other online services. This just shows you how dependent we are on the Internet and on some of these companies. According to David Choffness. Choffness, a professor of computer science at Northwestern University, we now have aws Asure and cloud Flare outages in the span of a month. That's a very large portion of the biggest cloud providers in the world. It's not been the case that we have had seen major outages like this in a short period of time. He said, companies have had outages before, but they tend to be pretty rare. These companies are supposed to be really, really good at keeping things up. And so with these different companies being hit, you know, when one has a problem, you can call it maybe a glitch.
Speaker 2: When another one has.
Speaker 3: A problem, you start getting a little suspens But when three within a month happened, you got to figure that there's some sort of hacking going on, and there's some other nefarious things possibly happening, So you got to keep an eye on that. And again, as far as cybersecurity, you want to make sure that yours internet and the stuff that you use are safe and free from some of these things. And again the old story of you don't, you know, click on an email that you're not familiar with, you don't answer text that you're not familiar with, and so on. Timothy Edgar, a computer science professor at Brown and an expert on cybersecurity. Cloud Flare is an essential company, providing services to a fifth of the Internet and handling literally trillions of requests every day, said the outage was another alarming example of how dependent we have become on critical internet infrastructure and how little the government and of course, got to blame the government, the government, how little they're doing to stop this. Well, if you're a private company and you don't want I mean, what do you want government intervention? You want them sitting in your office and overseeing everything you do, everything's got to be blamed on the government when it's the individual companies themselves that are handling these procedures. So this is just a scapegoat, I think, as far as this professor is concerned.
Speaker 2: So we'll ignore that. Coming up, we'll get into this.
Speaker 3: Appeals court has paused FMCSA's new non domiciled CDL order. I'm Kevin Gordon, americastruck In Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: A federal panel has blocked Texas's new congressional map. With your twelve thirty report, I'm Travis Layer breaking now. D three judge panel ruled the twenty twenty five map was a racial jerrymander and can't be used in next year's midterms. Governor Greg Abbott says he'll appeal to the Supreme Court. Here's abc's' Antonio.
Speaker 10: Governor Greg Abbott says he'll appeal to the Supreme Court, claiming the ruling undermines the authority the US Constitution assigns to the Texas legislature. Earlier this month, Governor Gavin Newsom led a campaign to change California's congressional map to offset the expected losses in Texas. Newsome, responding to the Texas ruling, saying Trump and Greg Abbott played with fire, got burned and democracy on.
Speaker 9: The ruling means Texas probably will have to redraw its districts before the next election.
Speaker 8: Now, the latest forecast from the Train Heating and Cooling Weather Center on news radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 7: Heading for Thursday daybreak. We're looking at cloudy skies little patche fogg before daybreak, a seven am temperature of forty five. Now, our Thursday is going to be cloudy, mostly cloudy on high fifty six at night, a chance of rain and a low down to fifty From your severe Weather station, I'm nine First Warning Meteorologist Steve Rawley, news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Right Now forty two degrees and a little bit foggy in Cincinnati. In Butler County, the jail is facing reneude criticism over medical care overcrowding and its contract to hold migrants for ICE. Former detainee imam Amon Solomon, who spent seventy three days there without ever having been charged with a crime, says he waited for hours for treatment of chronic migraines. Residents have urged leaders to end the ICE contract. State inspectors found the jail compliant in August, but the population has since risen to more than one thousand inmates in a facility built for under nine hundred. Now, Lee Mallen, let's talk about sports.
Speaker 8: Seven hundred WLW sports for the first time.
Speaker 11: Six week two, quarterback Joe Burrow is a full participant in practice, Joe Flacco went limited. Titaned Mi Kasiki, and safety day On Anthony, who remained on the injured list, also full.
Speaker 2: Wednesday.
Speaker 11: Bengals hosting the Patriots Sunday afternoon to one meantime. Legendary quarterback Ken Anderson, a semi finalists in the senior category of the NFL Hall of Fame. Will learn the finalists next month. College basketball, Dayton defeats Marquette on the road seventy seven seventy one in overtime. And in college football, Miami defeats Buffalo thirty seven to twenty.
Speaker 2: Miami Now Bowl eligible in six and five. Thank you so much, Lee Mawen.
Speaker 9: You will hear from Lee again in our next update, which is at one o'clock. Breaking news anytime. I'm Travis Laird News Radio seven hundred WLW, the.
Speaker 2: Free iHeartRadio app. Pure audio awesomeness, most.
Speaker 12: Like here's your trucking forecast for the Try State and the rest of the country. In the Try State, over night claude with patchie fog, the low down to forty four claude. Thursday, high of fifty seven. Friday rain with late afternoon storms possible. A high of sixty one, partly Sunday. Saturday highs in the mid fifties, mostly Sunday Sunday. The high year sixty nationally through Thursday. A moderate risk of assessive rainfall existing for south central Texas. Heavy rain on tap for southern California Thursday and Friday over the next few days. Higher elevation snow in the Mountain West being seen above average and in some areas record warm temperatures expected Thursday and Friday in the southeast.
Speaker 3: Seven hundred wl W. I'm Kevin Gordon. This is America Struck a Network. If you miss anywhere segments or our preview shows, hit a fat iHeartRadio app brought to you by Rush Truck Centers. This story has been bouncing around. There's been various variations of this story, and of course it's an evolving story. The FMCSA back on what was it September the twenty ninth, put through this order trying to tighten up these non domiciled CDLs and telling these states that they need to review the process because of what we were experiencing as far as the accident with the illegal alien down there who had, you know, a CDO license but was not had no English language abilities and so when you're talking about the English Language proficiency exam, he should not have been able to get a CDL, but he was down in Florida, he was from California, caused that accident down there, doing an illegal U turn by the way, killing three people. Then last month we had that fellow that was driving down the freeway in California and was on drugs or intoxicated or under the influence, didn't stop, didn't break, just plowed into the back end of these cars called a caused a fiery crash there on the freeway, and he too had no English language proficiency or could identify signs, couldn't even communicate with the officers investigating that particular accident. Fortunately there was a you know, a dashboard camp that caught all of it. And so in the wake of that, trying to you know, going back to April, realizing that for years the truckings associations had been talking about the dumping of or the CDLs being issued to a numerous illegal aliens and ones that were not had the English language proficiency or coming out of some of these cd mills where they actually weren't even getting the training necessary but they were out on the road. This has been you know, this has been talked about for a number of years. Well, in April, Trump put through the executive order that needed to tighten this up. Sean Duffy came out with an order that by June the twenty fifth, that this implementation should go into effect, that FMCSA should now start using the English language proficiency the lack thereof as a reason to put somebody out of service, and in order to tighten these non domiciled CDL licenses that have been granted. Then we had the accidents in August and so on, and so they put forth this mandate that, okay, as of September the twenty ninth, you need to start reviewing all of your services and with your individual licensing bureaus. And if you don't comply, we're going to start with holding highway funds and whatever from these organizations. And so again, when you're looking at accidents happening, people getting killed on the highways and so on, they go ahead and put forth this mandate or this regulation and said that, you know, we need to implement this. Well, the story here court blocks new rule limiting which immigrants can get CDLs, and then we see this story here why in appeals court pause FMCSA's non domiciled CDL order. However, going back even before this was done, actually this was done on the same day that the appellate court. There's a story coming from the American Transportation Associations and Commercial Vehicle Training Association in their perspective an editorial, it says safety requires rooting out CDL mills Trump administration dot our right to go after dangerous truck driving training schools. So anyway, going to the Appeals and says why the Appeals Court paused the FMCSA's non domicild CDL order, Judges say the agency skipped required steps lacked safety evidence going through this. It says, the Federal Appeals Court on November thirteenth blocked a new Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration rule that would sharply restrict state's ability to issue or renew commercial driver's license to drivers who live and operate commercial vehicles in the US but are officially domiciled elsewhere. The decision paused the rule that while the legal challenge moves forward, Okay, you have a situation where somebody is operating a semi eighty thousand pound vehicle in the United States, but they don't live here, they are not domiciled in the United States. So first of all, how do they apply for these licenses? Is it a situation where they are providing a service that nobody else can? You know, you get back to this whole H one B visus where you have certain industries where we don't have the people with the necessary expertise to do these jobs. So they granted these specific visas for people to come in and work in these industries. And as we've seen, this has been abused like crazy because bringing people in they will work for cheaper than cheaper pay than what other people are paying. I've seen some of these stories crop up in my old profession being in a recovering accountant. I have seen where some of the major accounting firms have used this process to outsource and to bring people in to do audits, taxes, and so on, where the you have a wide pool of people in the United States that are citizens in the United States, fully capable of doing those jobs, but if you can replace them with other people that are work for cheaper We saw a situation where what company was it I, There was a was it Disney or it was a major company that they basically told all their people in the IT department that hey, we're firing you. We're going to get rid of you, but in the meantime, we're bringing in your replacements and you need to train them to do your job.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: They're bringing these people in, obviously for less money than what they're paying their current staff, but they said you must train them. If you don't train them, then you are not going to get your severance package. At the end of the time. When they actually replace you, and so you're caught between a rock and a hard place. You're fully capable of doing that particular job, You've been doing that job for a number of years, and yet they found a loophole or tried to figure out some way of bringing people in that will work for a cheap and that is just flat out wrong the whole mental capabilities or the mental What type of a person that runs is the CEO of a company like that that will literally push people out the door just to get a few people in that are little work cheaper and they're not even citizens in the United States. I don't understand that rationale. I don't understand that philosophy. And what a poor example as far as the business world is concerned, and what these people should do. I mean, they have no conscience. How did they sleep at night knowing they do this? But anyway, getting back to this particular story, judges say that the agency skipped are required steps. At US Appeals Court for the District of Columbia granted an emergency an emergency stay, saying that petitioners challenging the rule met the stringent REQUIREM sure those are stringent requirements for the stay pending court review. The petitioners including individual truck drivers and multiple.
Speaker 2: Labor or labor organizations.
Speaker 3: The lead petitioner is Jorge Rivera Lujan a deferred action for Childhood Arrivals recipients who runs a trucking business, who has held a non domiciled CDL for eleven years but was unable to renew it.
Speaker 2: Due to the rule. He's been here for eleven years.
Speaker 3: He's got some sort of an asylum type of documentation or whatever. So the entire time that he's been here, he is building a big to applaud him for building a business and being a productive member of society. But he doesn't care enough about this country that has taken him in where he can learn or actually start a company and flourish, and an eleven year period of time, doesn't take the time to become a citizen, and just plays off of this deferred action for childhood arrivals.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I've talked talked about how there are I mean, you look at the Netherlands situations where I know, well, our daughter is over there and she had to in order before her she could even go there, had to prove even though she was married to a citizen, even though they had two children.
Speaker 2: They had to go through all these hoops in.
Speaker 3: Order to move there, to prove that these children were actually his. I don't know how they did that. I don't want to go into details there. But when she got over there, she had to prove that she had a job. The company had to approve or make a senate an AFFI David that yes, this was not a temporary position. She plans on being there, and we plan on keeping her for a number of years, et cetera, et cetera, and that so she had a job, so she wouldn't be dependent upon the services of the social issues of that particular country. She'd been there for like four years, got a letter and said, hey, by the way, you haven't shown, you haven't proved that you can speak the language. You've got six months in order to prove that you can read, write and be proficient in the language, or we're kicking you out of the country. What and we're doing these kind of things after eleven years, unbelievable. You go through the individual immigration and naturalization situations in every other country. We are so laxed and we are just so behind. We are so outgoing that it is unbelievable compared to how some of these other countries operate.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we'll pick this up on the other side.
Speaker 3: I'm Kevin Gordon, America's trucking network seven hundred WLW Progressive Commercial.
Speaker 13: Most truckers can expect the unexpected when drudging, but a little ends up like this would still be nice break or breaker.
Speaker 6: Truck driver Loco meedeologists just let you know what I got.
Speaker 3: The days mixed up in a little bit of hail.
Speaker 11: Is coming over.
Speaker 2: Actually it's a health storm, my bad over.
Speaker 13: Be ready for the unexpected with primary liability limits up to two million dollars on our specialty heavy truck coverage. Get a quote at Progressive Commercial dot com progress a special in terms company an ABIL gets covered subject turns and limits.
Speaker 6: Hey Sinsati's former Bengal and Pro Football Hall of Famer Anthony Muniams.
Speaker 2: Are you or someone you know looking to gain valuable experience?
Speaker 3: And Appeals Court pause FMCSA's non domiciut CDL order. All right, some of the bullet points in here are just interesting. The court's stay centers on its view that FMCSA likely violated a statutory requirement likely violated.
Speaker 2: Did they violate it or did they not violate it?
Speaker 3: So you're doing this stay based on something likely violated a statutory requirement to consult states before tightening the non domicilt CDL eligibility. Judges USh FMCSA's safety rationale, citing the agency's own data showing non domicile drivers make up five percent of the CDO holders but about zero point two percent of fatal crashes. What difference does it make? How many fatal one is more than enough? Didn't we haven't we heard for years if we could just you know, if we could just save one whale out there in the wild. You know, we're going to save the whales. Oh, we got this this what was it? The spotted owl? You know, if we can keep just one owl and keep it from extinction, we've got to go through all this sort of stuff, you know, when it comes to human life, apparently that doesn't count as much as it does spotted owls or whales or whatever.
Speaker 2: But you know, if there's point only point two only point two.
Speaker 3: Percent of the accidents, fatal accidents out there, I'm sure that's a big comfort to the people and the family members who have died as a result of those accidents. Now, let's get back to some of the stuff we've talked about on this program before. We have had the statistics talking about enforcement. When they talk about, oh, we've got to do safety enforcement out on the highways.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are we going to do.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, we're going to do these mandatory pullovers and we're going to do these this blitz of where we're going to pull over the the trucks out on the highway, and we're going to do the inspections and we're going to crack down there. And yet the government, the sightings that they do, they say that, okay, of the accidents, nine percent of the fatal accidents on the highway involve trucks. Big word there, involve trucks. Now, of the point of the nine percent of the fatal accidents out there involving trucks that are caused by trucks, there's less than ten percent of that number that is done.
Speaker 2: By caused by a truck.
Speaker 3: Yet they will have these checkpoints, they will do the safety checks and all this sort of stuff, but they'll ignore the ninety one percent of the people out there driving other vehicles other than trucks other than the eighteen wheelers.
Speaker 2: They won't, you know, pull over the sedans, the vans.
Speaker 3: The pickup trucks, any of that sort of stuff to do safety checks on them. Ninety one percent of the population gets ignored, but we're going to pick on the nine percent simply because I guess they're a bigger target. And yet when it comes to this, oh, well, if it's only point two percent, well, I guess we can write that off and those fatal crashes they just don't matter. Panel signals the rule may be arbitrary and capricious because FMCSA did not adequately explain expected safety benefits or account for drivers reliance on existing CDL rules. Now again we're talking about a change. Does anybody when the EPA goes out and they do some sort of a mandate out there without discussing with the companies, is that, well, can you comply with this? No, we'll just put this EPA regulation out In the past, I might add that they put out this mandate and if it's violated, well then we'll just do billions of dollars like they've done in terms of the CAFE standards with the car manufacturers that if you don't meet these quality standards or the mileage per gram for your fleet, that will find you billions and billions of dollars even though you attempt to comply with that, but the technology isn't there for you to do that. So it's just a money grab by the federal government at that point. So they don't get to what can anybody stand up and say, well, you know you're putting through these arbitrary and capricious regulations, but oh no, that's okay because we're trying to clean the air. We're trying to save the planet, and that's okay. But if you're trying to save lives, now that's not so much so anyway, Sean Duffy, the Department of Transportation Secretary, is vowing to fight this course pause of the non CDL license. And it is amazing when you go through this and you talk about how a lot of these things are done where these CDL licenses are granted to people that then.
Speaker 2: They overstay their visa.
Speaker 3: So there ought to be something, and we've talked about this on this program, where if the license is issued, it needs to be in correspondence with the work permit. If a work permit expires, then the CDL license should expire as well not be available after that. And what is interesting too is that the industry itself that is involved in this. You have the perspective that was written an editorial written by what's the guy's name, Andrew polla Koff and Chris Spear. Now Andrew Pollakoff is Commercial Vehicle Training Association and Chris Spear is the American Trucking Associations. Now we've had the story in the past talking about Chris Spear and the American Trucking Association getting criticized heavily for starting the whole narrative that we don't have enough CDL licenses, there's a driver's shortage, which then led to the influx of a lot of these people who from foreign countries coming in and obtaining CDL licenses. So, in a certain instance, ATA has kind of created this issue according to a lot and getting criticism from people that have initiated this, but even they recognize the fact that this needs to be tightened up. According to this cbtas Andrew Polakoff and ATAS Chris Spear argue that fraudulent commercial driver training schools are endangering motorists and that recent Trump administration enforcement actions mark a needed federal crackdown these unscrupulous operators, which again issue these fraudulent CDLs, which is some of the things that they're trying to crack down on. As far as the Trump administration is concerned. These unscrupulous operators just don't cheat students out of money. They jeopardize the safety of American motorists by certifying drivers just two or three day courses and sending them behind the wheel of an eighty thousand pound truck. That's not training, its negligence, and it's putting lives at risk. And so they are calling an action to this and saying that this action needs to be done. And yet we've got the courts, and I don't know where these courts are coming from. You would think that they would rely on the experts rather than the particular petitioner. It seems like a petitioner comes in there and says, well, we want an emergency stay. They pay more attention to them than whether or not the driving public is at risk out there. And this is something that needs to be checked and it needs to be fought, and of course the administration will be fighting this as far as they can. Take a look real quick at at oil and gas price before we scoot out the door.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: West Text Intermedia CREWED currently is at fifty nine dollars below sixty dollars a barrel, fifty nine dollars and thirty nine cents, down a dollar thirty five from yesterday. So just since January, West Texas Intermediate CRUED is down seventeen dollars and fifty cents a barrel, or twenty three percent. Brent crude is at sixty three forty nine dollars, forty less than yesterday, down sixteen dollars and forty one cents in January, or a twenty one percent decrease. Taking a look at the gasoline prices really quick across the board, gasoline currently nationwide is three dollars nine cents. But then when you compare that back to twenty twenty again, when we were energy independant for the first time since nineteen forty nine, it'd be interesting to look at that, and you know, we're ninety cents higher than that now. If oil prices are down twenty three percent, I would expect to have seen gas prices being down at least ten percent or fifteen percent, and so if that were the case, gasoline should be down somewhere around two dollars and sixty three cents a gallon nationwide. Again it's three dollars and nine cents, and diesel prices are three dollars and seventy eight cents. Now one of the things that's creating an indication or decrease in oil prices, and this is again a hot topic coming up again. Oil prices fell on Wednesday after reports indicated the United States is renewing its push to end Russia's war in Ukraine and has drafted a framework for it. The US is signal to Ukraine President of Volodomore Zelinsky that his side must accept the US drafted framework to end the war, which opposes which proposes Kiev giving up territory and some weapons. Two sources said to what Rutgers now, folks, this is an area where I have a disagreement with this, with current well with the Trump administration. One of the rare instances I do Vladimir Putin. There should be a line drawn on the sand. They should not get rewarded for invading a foreign country or another country. They should not be rewarded for that swamp. Talked about this later because I just noticed we're up against clock. Stay tuned for EDI rad at time we'll pick this up. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 8: News, Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: The countdown is on.
Speaker 11: President Donald Trump has signed the Epstein Files Releasing Bill.
Speaker 2: With your top of the