Speaker 1: The News Jokie starts now.
Speaker 2: It is Wednesday, July eighth to twenty twenty six. Watch to get to Today from another plane disappears to a strange bikini drama hits a Miami TV news station, and Cracker Barrel helps solve a cold case murder from the eighties. Plus your calls, dispatches, emails, text, Sam More Sea Lane is here, so is Joshday and you are too. Join us with the dispatch over at thedewsjunkie dot com or in the Newsjunkie app Right now.
Speaker 1: You can also watch.
Speaker 2: The show on YouTube and twitch dot tv Slash the News Junkie. Your message is rolling all right in the studio in real time. Hows everybody doing on a Wednesday coma? Yeah, good, good good. Now, it was just a little bit of a long winded intro, you know, just drag it on there, a lot of extra words, probably gonna work on my word economy, but yeah, good, good, Hope everybody's good. We have many, many things to talk about today, lots of good drama going on, so we're gonna sink into that. We'll hit all sorts of viral stories, the good, the bad, and the ugly. And all things in between. But right now, let's start out by putting our ears to the ground, our fingers on the pulse, and see what's happening in this great, big, wide world of ours. And we've heard a lot about you guys trying to save money out there. You're always looking for a way to save I didn't know this was an option, but I guess it is. Any idea, What this gentleman here and the thumbnail you guys see is is saving a little bit of money on gasoline. Gasoline's a good gas. Yeah it's at a gas station. Yeah, that is indeed? Where this is? What the hell is going on? How was this? How is this not on my radar? I didn't even know this was a thing. I want reports back from you, all right, listening to the show today, watching the show today, whatever it may be, Have you seen one of these gas stations? Here we go.
Speaker 1: I saved money. I had to go back and they get my change.
Speaker 3: I thought gas was more expensive, but it's not so thanks Trump, saving me some money.
Speaker 4: We're here at the first Freedom Fuel Network gas station right here in Philadelphia, leading the charge to lower gas prices three dollars and forty seven cents. That's for our forty seventh president, Resident Donald Day Trump.
Speaker 1: Okay, what just make it forty seven cents?
Speaker 2: We have freedom fuel gas stations all of a sudden, Where where are these?
Speaker 1: Why are these?
Speaker 2: But could I know that nobody's going to just start a gas station in order not to make money? Right?
Speaker 1: So, and I don't think.
Speaker 2: We were like I thought, we weren't going to the socialism stuff. So I don't think we've taken over the gas stations just yet, right, I don't think we've the means of production or anything like that.
Speaker 3: They have a website shown and the U R L. I'm like that, you know, it doesn't instill confidence?
Speaker 1: Oh no, what is it? Is it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It's not a dot com? Not a dot com?
Speaker 2: No, it's not a dot com? Well can we go?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it a dot net? It's not a dot gov? What you would think if it was Trump related? It could be a Freedom Fuel Network dot gov. It's not a dot net. Definitely, not a dot org. You know, where is it is it? Is it a dot TV? For God's sake, that's even worse, buddy, it's Freedom Fuel Network dot L O L.
Speaker 2: Wait, that seems like a joke because.
Speaker 1: The laughing out loud.
Speaker 2: Harris, You're saying, there are gas stations right now in the United States America I get.
Speaker 1: My movies from.
Speaker 2: It's like you're stealing movies. Dot L welcome to pirratingmovies dot L o L freedom. Has anybody seen a Freedom Fuel?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 2: I have not either, and I had no idea that this was a thing out there. They're saying that gas is way cheaper. This is my first word of this. I am a little weirded out that they have a dot LOL web domain, But I'm wondering if somebody made this web domain after this video went viral or after because it says establish moments before a truth social post. Okay, America's most trusted gas station chain and then chain has crossed out and it says concept and proudly serving Greater Philadelphia pending existence. Can I tell you it's a troll? This is a trope. Pan in twenty twenty six, I don't know what's real and what's fake. That could legitimately be a real thing, because this is real. Freedom fuel is real, and find out Selan, how many of these does are?
Speaker 3: This is one trol website now it's like follow the money. The same week he promised you cheap gas from a company does not really files early money report. Blah blah blah. All right, that's somebody trolling. But I want to be clear. Freedom fuel in the gas stations are real. This is this is a real thing. So let's see how many there are. Hold on, here we go.
Speaker 4: The price of gas year is fifty cent slower than the Pennsylvania average gas prices.
Speaker 5: Apparts of July.
Speaker 1: The gas prices are coming down, which is great.
Speaker 6: Tell you, I'm very happy about the cheap gas prices.
Speaker 7: Hopefully everyone has a great holiday, super punk the gas prices are lower.
Speaker 6: I'm just great.
Speaker 8: Right now.
Speaker 9: We're in a difficult time in this world, but it's nice to see some stability that we can enjoy.
Speaker 2: Bro, what stability is this? It's a gas station I've never heard of.
Speaker 1: Also, three seven is still not cheap.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, what what is gas? What's the average right now? I think it's around like three eighty ish. Okay, so it's like a little bit of a discount or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, but if this is real, it's a real place. There's really these gas stations popping up. They're trying to say, like it's freedom gas, it's way cheaper than everywhere else. I just don't have a lot of questions. Let's finish this up here.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the lower gas and I saw it.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a fake news, but glad it's true.
Speaker 1: I definitely couldn't leave my eyes because I just got past.
Speaker 2: I'm actually taking a trip down the shore, so I wasn't even gonna come and get the gag.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I did. And now they just save me a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot cheap.
Speaker 1: Let's keep doing what you're doing doing as the job.
Speaker 6: Thank you for much.
Speaker 10: Thank you for helping our country.
Speaker 1: It's President Donald J.
Speaker 4: Trump leading the charge the lower gas prices right here, the Freedom Fuel Network.
Speaker 3: What the hell is a Freedom fuel gas station? That's it, thank you, it's part of the Freedom Fuel Network. Shown well, what the what is the Freedom Fuel Network?
Speaker 2: It is exactly what they say it is. Here's the deal. I want people to save money, so maybe this is real and like people can save a little bit of money on gas, and these you know, these damn oil companies can can take a note from this and say we should lower prices a little bit.
Speaker 1: But I am a little bit skeptical.
Speaker 2: I've just never heard of this before and it just pops up out of nowhere. Vicky says on YouTube. My two daughters live in Philadelphia. I'll have to call them and ask them about this. Yeah, I mean I think it's beyond Philadelphia. Just to be clear, I think I think there's a bunch of that.
Speaker 3: NJ dot Com says that there's at least one opening New Jersey right now too.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we got Jersey, Philly, We do we have anything out of the northeast. Can we get somebody to visit one today?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it a real place or is it a dot Lol? That's that's what we're looking for. Here was something I fel for. But no, it's I mean funny, this is what I'm saying. It's such a strange thing that this has popped up overnight, and nobody was talking about this ahead of time as far as I'm aware, so that it very well could have been that that was a real gas station, that's the big question. But I did see this posted by the White House, so they're you know, freedom fuel. There must be some news stories.
Speaker 1: Twenty five of them. They're all in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Why because the Philadelphia is where the Congress was.
Speaker 2: Which one of those states voted for Trump? Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Yeah, Pennsylvania possibly. But I mean I feel like you would have put that somewhere in like a really big well, maybe you don't want to put in a stronghold because you already got those votes. Maybe maybe you want to put that so like these people hate me, I'll make the gas cheaper. Put this over in Los Angeles. Man, You're never gonna win there. It's not gonna happen. I'm very confused as to what's going on here, but I do like saving money, and I know you do too. Oh, here we go. This says Freedom Fuel Network gas stations have arrived. All right, that's the same video from the White House. White House is promoting Freedom Fuel gas stations near Philadelphia with opaque ownership. Opaque, for those of you who are new to the word game means not see through, not clear. You know, you can't tell who's owning these places. The gas station sell gas at three forty seven a gallon, but the White House says it's a private company and has provided no funding. Okay, but why on earth would a private company ever go will take a haircut on the gas unless there was something in it for them, right Like, there's got to be there's always something in it for them, for whoever's doing this stuff. It's a network of twenty five gas locations selling regular gas at three forty seven a gallon.
Speaker 3: The single served Doritos there are eight bucks. They're not taking the haircut, they're just moving the money.
Speaker 2: Bottle of water sixteen dollars. According to the Philadelphia acquire the debut location was a converted Sonoko. They still got those. Yeah, it was pressure. I was wondering, if there's only so many.
Speaker 3: Locations across like Philadelphia or Pennsylvania and nearby New Jersey, is it not just a person who owned a bunch of gas stations and agreed to, you know, put some new signage.
Speaker 2: That's it looks like, yeah, it said one of these, he says one of these, pick says there's six dollars and twenty nine cents. Three dollars and forty seven cents is what they're saying. That's framed as a tribute to the president. On Tuesday, the national average for a gallon of regular gasoline was three seventy nine and the Philadelphia average was three ninety five, So that is cheaper. But isn't there going to be another issue?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: All right, not for nothing. But I've worked in radio for quite some time, and prior to this, prior to this very moment, in radio, there used to be a very traditional radio stunt and all the radio stations would do it, and you would buy out a gas station for some amount of time. Hell didn't MO do that one time? Maybe I'm making that up. I thought you did? You buy a gas station? You go like, we're let's say it's cool ninety seven, and you say it cool ninety seven. We bought nine seven hundred dollars worth of gasoline free for you. Just come to the cool gas station and fill up your cool tank and then everybody goes, I want some of this free cool gas. And there's a mile as long as you could imagine coming out of that, so you can't even get to the plan.
Speaker 3: I mean, all miles are pretty much the same length. Well, shut up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a line eighteen miles long and you can't get to the actual gas.
Speaker 1: So the only way to do.
Speaker 2: This would be if all of the gas stations in the country all of a sudden did it somehow, that it'd be you know, every station you go to.
Speaker 3: So nice of them to put it at three forty seven as a tribute to the president. You know, he was also the forty fifth president. We could shave that that that price down even more, you know, more savings.
Speaker 2: Well they didn't want to do that. I guess they didn't. A White House spokesperson characterized Freedom Fuel Network as a privately held business and denied that it operates as a government initiative. I mean, the White House is straight up posting videos of this. It receives public funding or benefits from discount and fuel for procurement, they've denied all of that. The company behind Freedom Fuel Network did not respond to a request for comment. Gas Buddies head of petroleum analysis Patrick Dehan ran the numbers and said this was financially untenable stations selling at this price. It's not sustainable, says the gas wizard, like the guy who knows about all of this. He says, generally, when losses happened, somebody's got to pay for it. Though unable to identify the station's owners or explain what agreements might underpin their fuel costs. To Han noted that numerous locations already appear in gas Buddies database under names that are vastly different. So this is like a huge mystery to even the people who are like obsessed with gas and gas prices and all of that stuff. So you let us know if you're over there and you're wandering around and you're seeing one of these Freedom Fuel gas stations today. And I also want to know from you people, because some of you are crazy. Some of you are like I hate Trump so much I want him in jail. Do you care about a deal on gas enough that you would go to the Freedom Fuel gas station even if you don't like Trump, like you would you grin and bear it and go o'right, we'll fill up the car, and I'm gonna do it anyways, even though, like just for the deal, let us know, give us your dispatches, emails and all the rest over at the News Junkie Dotcast.
Speaker 3: That sounds like the beginning of a Nathan for you, Like, all right, you want fifty cent gas, come to Hitler Gas.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you guys go to Hitler Gas to fill up. Not that I'm comparing the two, but it would. Let's just just to give an extreme example. Would you go to Hitler Gas if they had the best gas prices in town?
Speaker 1: I would? What What do I care? The money's not.
Speaker 2: Going to Hitler? Oh God, am I this is long gone, Josh, Okay.
Speaker 1: There's Mecca Hitler. No, he's ripped.
Speaker 2: All right? This would you go some of you saying hell, no, you guys are crazy. You guys are crazy. If there was like your worst enemy, like even if you took who do Republicans hate the most? So we could be fair abomba all right? If they happy Joe, Like if if they had Obama gas and Obama phones at a gas station that were fifty cents a gallon and you get a free Obama phone. I think the guy, even the guy with all the MAGA hats, is taking the hat off and going, well, today I'm gonna get them some caras. So I'm gonna I'm gonna go do this right now.
Speaker 3: Obama phone sounds like it's a burner anyway, So those things will fly off the shelf with the the miscreants of the world. So he says pj's at Costco's. Are Costco is still cheaper?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Costco usually has a great deal. But that's why they're they're doing so well over there. But all right, let us know if you see that out there. Look, we have so many things to sort through today. We have big World Cup drama. We got this this gram Platner stuff. Have you been following? That is Mitch McConnell alive a very awkward update. I'll give you that as well all of this on the way. In fact, when we come back, something very strange happening in the sports world, we'll give this to you and a blooper to go along with it that is coming up next in the news.
Speaker 11: Junkie, are you guys still watching the.
Speaker 2: World Cup or have you checked out? Since Team USA lost and they are no more? I'm still in it, still exciting. Who you rooting for now? Josh is like somebody else.
Speaker 1: No one specific, but I'm pumped for this England Norway game on Saturday.
Speaker 2: See, I'm looking at them sometimes and I think of it about like the global situation that we faced, and I'm like, team should I pick? Last night it was Switzerland and somebody I'm like, I don't really care about Switzerland. Yeah, and I go to Colombia is kind of cool sometime. Who do I pick here? And then I just sort of randomly picked one of the teams to follow, and it's been fun. It's a good time. You can bet on it and tmjchat do all those good things if you will. But the World Cup, whether you hate it, love it, or whatever, has brought in a ton of viewers. For example, the US men's national team. Here's the story the US men's national team and their final loss to Belgium where they went down four to one. It was embarrassing, Josh. It was not a good game at all, and they were being watched by a lot of people. It was an average of thirty million viewers on Fox, which is the most watched soccer telecast in US history, folks. According to The New York Times, Telemoondo reported twelve million viewers on its network to Telemundo for a weird thing at a second, making it the most watched US men's national team game in the US Spanish language TV history as well. The combined forty million viewers will likely eclipse any single game this decade other than the Juggernaut that is the NFL. So about forty million viewers watched the US men's national team. That's in the United States alone. Of course you got people all over the world watching this stuff. But now there's a weird tension going on and Seeland. You know, there's a world where they make a lot of money when it comes to the World Cup. I'm sure you've seen some of this. Yeah. One thing that I saw much.
Speaker 3: So that FIFA is insane about their sponsorship agreements and then making them cover up the Levis side.
Speaker 1: So great they did it.
Speaker 2: They did this at the Seattle Stadium too, but it looks like the Seattle Stadium is whatever stadium, and it looks like someone has gone over and just put a big black strip of tape over the whatever The sponsor.
Speaker 1: Uhman Field is there.
Speaker 2: Luman just blacked out over there because they've been doing that because they want to make money. And then the thing that I saw that maybe think of Selane, believe it or not, was did you see seland the technology that they use for the advertisements on the side of the field.
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 3: I mean, they've they've done a lot of this before. There are you talking about? In some cases I think they green screen it out and you only see the ads on TV.
Speaker 1: You don't see them in person.
Speaker 2: This is right down your alley, Okay. Seelan loves this kind of tech stuff. I saw a story that said, these digital screens on the side of the World Cup games, the ones like around the edge of the field. They broadcast in such a way that different cameras tuned to different frames per second in different regions are showing different ads at the same time. Does that make any sense to you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And it's a little crazy. So you have like a camera tuned in and you're watching in America and it's an Adidas ad on the side of the pitch where they're playing soccer. But somebody else watching the very same game in England is seeing a completely different ad because their camera is tuned to a different frames per second.
Speaker 1: What does it look like to the naked eye? Then?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I have no idea what that up look look World Cup for ads, sideline screen something like that. You'll see what I'm talking about. I don't know, Josh, what you like. If you were just sitting there, I don't know what you see. But it's a way for them to ad max everything revenue potential wise that they could, and they take one broadcast, You're seeing one stretch of ads for tire Kingdom or Visa or whatever, and then a totally different person watching somewhere else is seeing totally different ads. It's crazy. I don't even know how it works. But yeah, I read something about how that worked, and then uh, didn't see it. Afterwards, somebody says green screen. No, I don't. I don't think it was green screen technology that they were using. We'll find it here in a bit. But the other controversy was, and this is so funny to see in a way, that they sell out the rights for the broadcast. So in the United States, for example, you have Fox who owns a bunch of the broadcast rights for the World Cup, but then they also sell out the broadcast rights in other languages. So Telemundo owns the Spanish language broadcast rights in the United States of America, and Telemundo found out something very strange. Not that strange to me, because if you watch anything on Telemundo, it just sounds way more exciting, right, says right, So doesn't surprise me that last guy. Doesn't surprise me at all that there's a ton of people who don't even speak Spanish watching the games on Telemundo. So Telemundo is like, how do we handle this? And here's a story, this says, this is a report. There is reportedly tension between Fox and NBC as Telemundo courts English speakers for the World Cup. A report indicated twenty percent of Telemundo's World Cup viewers speak English as their primary language. Telemundo's effort to bring in English speakers to the network for its World Cup coverage is reportedly causing tension between Fox, the English language rights holder, and NBC Universal, which owns Telemundo. And a report outlining media companies interested in securing the rights for the twenty thirty and twenty thirty four World Cups, CNBC reporter Alex Sherman noted that FIFA may choose to package English language and Spanish language rights together for one media partner. Why because there's some tension. The report goes on to explain Telemundo has claimed some unknown population of English speak speakers who are watching the games via peacock has dampened their reach and and they've been intentional about dealing with this. The network tapped actor Owen Wilson, who is not Latino or known to speak Spanish, for an ad campaign a it is. And then they said, at one point during one of the games, the Telemundo people stop speaking Spanish and welcome to their English speaking viewers in English. And I'm like, oh, okay, I see what they're doing now, you know. And of course FIFA gets mad because they're like, oh, we should be making even more money. We want to make even more money. Classic FIFA action here. But there's a fight over there, which is funny because some of the audience for Telemundo is like, what is this crap? They're talking in English on our Spanish Broadcastle's Espanol idiot. And I say to you, Telemundo fans, welcome to our world.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We've had Spanish on this radio station on it as we've had you know, we get it. We get it introduced into our world all the time in English speakers see ads or hear ads that are in an Espanol on YouTube and all sorts of places. Now you're having to deal with it, so enjoy for a little while. Okay, the Telemoondo people getting a little bit of English injected into their world. As well. Did you find out what I was talking about with those those ads?
Speaker 1: Saying er, I texted a video?
Speaker 3: Oh cool, okay, all right, hang on so far, I'm just seeing like the regular traditional virtual board replacement where they paint.
Speaker 2: The ads on to the.
Speaker 3: The screen, much like they would do the lines in a football game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here, Josh found it because he's much more.
Speaker 1: Did you know that a.
Speaker 11: Cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's found this here. Thank you, Josh, appreciate this. This is some Instagram guys.
Speaker 5: Screen can show four different ads at once, depending on which country you're in. No, it's not an edit, it's not green screen, it's not AI. It's pure physics. Same board can now make four pounds of the month. So how do they actually do it? The board is run at two hundred and forty frames per second, and instead of showing one ad, it's showing all four. Each country's camera runs at sixty frames per second. It is only grabbing every fourth frame. One board is split into four sixty frames per second streams.
Speaker 1: And here's the best part.
Speaker 5: The only people not getting it clear at are the people who take to be.
Speaker 1: There that will only see a blow.
Speaker 2: Oh, the people in the stadium don't see anything because the ads.
Speaker 3: Are slipping myself reel in, cite your sources, TikTok guy, I have heard this is real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have heard that this is real. This this TikTok guy. And plus I trust Josh's sources explicitly. And they show the video of the soccer game going on, and behind one player you see four different things, four different ads, all being broadcast at the same time. It's crazy. It's kind of really interesting that they're able to do it that way, although it does seem like one of those things where subconsciously that could give everybody a migraine in the in the stadium, because like, you don't know that you're seeing this thing, but or it should look like if you were to take four traditional film camera pictures and then like take the film, take the negative and layer it one on top of the other and look through it, you should be seeing like this weird conflagration blur of four different ads at the same time. Oh, it's so strange, but yeah, they want to make as much money as possible. N Espanol in English in whatever. Thank you to Tom Tom by the way, the Latest Secret Show subscriber. You can join with a premium subscription over at the Newsjunkie dot com. Right now, a couple of emails coming in. Anonymous emails tips at the Newsjunkie dot com, and he says, I want to talk about Publics all right, okay, Anonymous, let's talk about the grocery store of Publics. Please give me Anonymous. I want people to know that Publics only gives out race is once each year. This year, the raise is only twenty cents for employees who are already topped out at their payscale. Oh if you're topped out of your payscale and you're still getting a raise, that seems all right, Okay this year before the year before that it was twenty five cents, and the year before that it was also twenty five cents that people would get in a raise. Publics is having a hard time keeping managers in full time employees. Then I think the solution is pretty simple. If you pay them well, they will stay. I'm going to stop you here, Anonymous, for just a second. I used to agree with you. I used to agree with you. I do not anymore. Let me tell you from experience and from talking to a lot of people who run their own businesses. You think at the beginning, you think, hey, if I pay somebody more, they will work harder. Their workload will increase because somebody is getting paid better, their output will be better, and it'll be better for the company as ale. That is not true from my experience, from the experience of a lot of people that I know who own companies and pay people more, you don't see a difference in output after somebody gets a big raise. You just see somebody who's happy for a moment or two, and then they adjust to this new amount of money that they're making and then they move on. But they don't do crazy extra amounts of work. And you know what, that's fine. Maybe they weren't paid well enough to begin with, and they deserve the raise no matter what. But there is this idea that it's like, well, if all the employees made this much money, then everything would be absolutely perfect. It just doesn't work that way. I know people who've gotten huge raises, double their salary, triple their salary, and then you go, Okay, well they're gonna go nuts here. They're gonna be doing a lot of No. No, I haven't seen that at all in my life. He says, if you pay them, well, they'll stay. But you guys can agree or disagree tips at the Neewsjunkie dot com. How would you feel after a whole year of hard work you only received an extra twenty cents, Well, it's an extra twenty cents an hour, to be fair. I want Publics fans to know what's happening so they could do something about it, because I'm too scared to speak up for myself, says Anonymous. Well, I don't know. I thought the Publics did a pretty good job paying their employees. I think Publics does a lot of nice things. I think Public's is a good company. It's one of the biggest employee owned companies socialism. One of the biggest employee owned companies in the United States of America is Publics. And they also hire a lot of disabled people, which seems to annoy some of their fellow employees. But it's you know, it's nice to pass through as you're checking out at the grocery store, to be like, ah, look at that. That's sweet. Todd emails the show. Give us your thoughts, just like Todd and Anonymous Todd says, I hope your fourth of July went well, I have two suggestions for you. Can we add something to the app? Can we put check marks next to listen to episodes? I listened to one of the previous episodes and it took me fifteen minutes to figure out i'd heard that one before. Also, a fast forward to marine option will be awesome. Last thing, it takes a minute to load. Sometimes people like to see a spinning circle or something flashing by. I've closed it before.
Speaker 3: Circle. What kind of code a reno? Do you have some sort of you know, buffering signal? Or that was all about me?
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, says Todd. All right, Todd, I'll put this to the side. I'll see if we can make that happen for you.
Speaker 3: Instead of a spinning circle, though, I'd like it to be the fickle beast like tapping his watch, like Ah or the hedgehog or Mario would just go to sleep?
Speaker 2: You just start pewing or is that the sleep thing? What's the noise you make when you're sleeping. That's what I was looking for. Shoes honk shoe, sho honk shoe. I don't know if that'll read there you go? How do I put that you just did. How do I put that into words? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Say it to your voice text and see how it goes.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, nothing. I just kind of did it on accident there. All right, Thank you folks for hanging out with us today. Join us with your emails or record your voice or even your face with a video or audio dispatch at the News Junkie dot com or in the app right now quick break and when we come back, I'll get to the blooper that I was talking about very awkward, awkward moments for CNN is they were talking about what's happening with Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 1: Where is he?
Speaker 2: Is he dead? Is he alive? Is he whatever? A great moment, really really great moment that I want to play for you, and that is coming up next in the News Junkie. Now. I'm wondering if we're going to figure out this week on the show what the hell is happening with Mitch McConnell. And if you don't know who that name is, he's that politician guy who's zonked out a couple of times. He's the politician guy who'll be in the middle of a sentence and then just stop talking who like a bunch of these other politicians are just like way too old and maybe not properly representing people in Washington, DC. Push me back to my two term limit idea and my mandatory retirement at seventy five idea for everybody who's an elected official in the United States of America. Yes, I do think that would be a great idea, But right now we don't even know if Mitch McConnell is alive or not. Now here's my experience. Okay, there are three possible things that could be happening in this situation. And I know this from covering news stories for decades and decades. Here are the three possible scenarios when somebody is possibly dead and not saying anything.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Number one is that person is actually dead, all right, That's number one. The person's actually dead, and so they're not coming out to the media and saying, hey, guys, I know everybody's opining endlessly, talking endlessly about whether or not I'm alive or dead. So I just wanted to say, hello, I'm alive. Here, here, here's the newspaper from today. Here's my proof of life. You know, you do that kind of thing, and then you would prove that you are indeed alive, but you would want to do something because the whole world's talking about whether or not you're alive or dead. That's one option that you would be actually dead. A lot of people have been talking about whether he's alive or dead for months now, well more so now than ever before. Selan, we've reached fever pitch here, okay, and it's really really ratcheted up. So the first option out of three would be that the person's actually dead. I don't know if that's true or not. People have said they talked to this guy, so that doesn't seem likely. But he's not getting on the phone with any of the news outlets and saying, hey, everybody, chill out, I'm alive. I'll be back to work in a couple of weeks. I'll be back quicker than that the press guy was gone for who just disappeared for four months or so. Yeah, like, I'll be back. The second option is that you are alive, but you don't want to talk to anybody. Allah Richard Simmons. You guys might remember that escapade when there was a podcast harassing Richard Simmons, the fitness guru and all around nice guy because they thought that Richard Simmons was mysteriously not out in public, and they said, is Richard Simmons trans?
Speaker 1: Is he now?
Speaker 2: Is he gay publicly? And he's there was all these weird theories about it, except maybe he just doesn't want to be on television. Maybe he just doesn't want to be public and out there talking about these things. It got so annoying that at some point even Richard Simmons, I think, had to call CNN and it was like, guys, I'm fine, leave me alone, Please all right, leave me alone if you don't mind. So that's the second option, that the person's out there but they just don't want to talk to anyone. First option is that they're dead. And the third option is that they're maybe not dead but incapacitated and can't say anything.
Speaker 1: Allah, oh what's her name?
Speaker 2: Who was staring at the balloons in the hospital and they wanted there was Terry Terry Shaivo, thank you, Josh, yeah, yeah, Terry Schivo. The third option is the Terry Schivo option. The person's technically still alive, but they don't have the ability to say like Terry Schivo would have, please don't put my face all over the media. Don't show pictures of me oddly staring at balloons with one eye going in one direction, one eye going in the other direction, to millions and millions of Americans. Those are the three options. Now you have Mitch McConnell, this leader, he is a senator, is clearly not representing his people right now because we don't know if he's dead or alive. His wife hauled asked to China, which is crazy. Just think about your loved one at the very least is in the hospital, just had CPR and was on desks door, but he's still alive, and you go, okay, cool, chill out at the hospital. I'm a fly to China real quick. That's a little crazy in and of itself. But then Scott jennings Over on CNN said, yesterday, Hey, Mitch McConnell's fine. He said, he talked to him about Iran. He talked to him about all this stuff. He talked to him about all the things happening in the world Maine. He said, I think which was the Prattner stuff or whatever, or Platiner, the Grand Platner stuff, whatever. He said, he talked to Mitch McConnell for a little while, and it was always totally with it, which gives me flashbacks of when they were saying Joe Biden was totally with it, like, oh, I talked to him, he's in better shape than anybody in the White House. Those are the vibes I'm getting. So now he's on CNN, and here's how this goes down.
Speaker 7: Do you think he'd be willing to call into the show? Could we get him on the phone now?
Speaker 12: You know, I wasn't really expecting him to call this morning, to be honest. So when the phone right and I was able to talk to him, I was I was frankly pretty grateful. I mean, as I as I said, I've known him since I was a teenager. If it hadn't been for Mitch McConnell and the McConnell's Center at the University of Louisville, you know, I would never have been able to go to college. He's been my mentor and he changed the trajectory.
Speaker 2: I'm really dodging that question there. Yeah, right, can I say right now he has not answered the question? Can we just call.
Speaker 11: Him right now?
Speaker 12: Things happened to him and happen to people in your life that you really care about, you know, you just sort of naturally feel extremely worried. So when I heard his voice today and he was clearly keeping up with stuff, that that made me happy to hear from him, because, like everybody else, I've been, you know, somewhat in the dark about it. But to hear him talking, and to know that he's also talking to the Senate leadership, it made me pretty happy.
Speaker 7: I'm the mega media ecosphere, shall we say, has been driving a lot of the questions about where Mitch McConnell has been.
Speaker 1: Well, they always got to do this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's like the right or the left is you know who's saying this? Anybody who is represented by this guy, They're like, where's our dude? Where is he? Why do we have to search to see if our representative is alive or not? The very least people can expect from their elected officials is that we know that they're alive and working for us. That's like the very very least that we could expect. But he didn't even address at all. She's like, can we call him right now? I don't know if she mentioned it again.
Speaker 7: Happened to him? You, of course are in tune with that in the role you have on your on your radio show. Do you think they should put out a picture of Mitch Mccalliugh's you should release more of the public to quiet this noise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 12: I think Al had a good point about McConnell's general disposition towards privacy. I sometimes wonder, like, if I were laying in a hospital bed, what I want a bunch of people around photographing me.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, why do we have to do this? It's so stupid. We don't need anybody to photograph you. We don't need the Terry Schivo balloon photograph to know that you're alive. Just call up CNN and go, hey, Mitch McConnell. Here, I'm in the hospit right now. But I tell you what I'm feeling powerful. I'm feeling better. I'm gonna be out this bed and back in Congress in no time. So to the people who I represent, my constituents of rest easy, knowing that this was a bit of a slip up for me health wise, but I'm gonna make it to the end of this term, and I'm gonna be back voting for you and getting done what you want to be. I want to be done in Congress in just moments as I get back to work in Congress here blah blah blah whatever. And then people would go, Okay, Mitch mcconnald's alive.
Speaker 1: Next story, please, next story on it. That's it.
Speaker 2: They always make it like it's some sort of privacy thing, or like, hey, for Mitch McConnell to prove to everybody that he's still alive, he will need to show a dong photo and he's not comfortable with popping the turtle out and sending that over to Fox News and CNN. It's like, no, he doesn't have to do all of that. We don't need to see him in a hospital bed. We don't need to see him with like a little thing on his bracelet or a bracelet on his wrist or whatever. I just need to see that the here that the guy's alive. If you would have called them right then game over, that's it. Yeah, it would have been all the speculation would have been like, Okay, let's shut up about this, let's go on to the next thing right now. That's what would have happened. But the more they don't do that, the more. Even people like me are like, why did we not? What? Why do we not just call up real quick, it'll lie. Yeah, Like maybe maybe that's the case. Here's how weird this has gotten. Some woman is going around to Mitch McConnell's neighbors and knocking on their door everything.
Speaker 1: It's her.
Speaker 13: I didn't see him come out, but oh, you saw the paramedics here. Okay, have you seen any family? Has has any No family?
Speaker 14: I haven't seen anyone going from there.
Speaker 13: Yeah, because I know it's Capitol Police detail. They're they're over at the hospital.
Speaker 2: So I just thought so.
Speaker 13: His wife, Elaine Chow, was found in China three days after the cardiac arrest, so we're trying to figure out where she is. It doesn't look like she has come back to the house. It was wondering, have you have you seen.
Speaker 12: Her at all?
Speaker 15: I haven't seen anyone.
Speaker 2: This is this lady's just a neighbor. She just lives there. Your neighbors are getting harassed by randos on the street. All of these different things are happening. You could stop it all with one phone call. I'm alive. Everything's well. If I didn't show up on this show for like three weeks and everybody's speculating whether I was dead or alive. If I don't just call and say, hey, guys, just want you to know. I got some stuff going on, but I am alive and well. If I don't do that, it's because I don't want you to know, or because I can't call, or because something else is going on. Otherwise, it's just the easiest thing to stop, is it not. Can you explain what?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Sorry, sorry, have a great day.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your home. Yeah, there you go. Thank you, ma'am.
Speaker 2: Thank you, appreciate you. Let us know what you think. I don't know what's going to happen next year. I did see the governor. This is the governor of what is it, Kentucky? Yeah, Kentucky. On Wednesday, Governor Andy Basheer sent a letter to the office of US Senator Mitch McConnell requesting an update on his health and well being. A big growing concerns around the senator's ability to serve. I don't know that they've heard back about that. I think we're still in the same position. So it seems like this is an easy one to fix. We just have not done that just yet. Let us know what you think, send a dispatch or an email over on thenewsjunkie dot com. Easy enough to do. Here we go quick break, and then we were popping back with what's happening in Miami. There's a controversy. It involves bikinis and a television news station down in South Florid in the Miami area. I'll tell you what's going on with that. We'll get into this missing flight. A plane went missing and they don't know exactly what happened here another plane. This is bringing back memories of an older story where we had a plane just disappeared just like that. So what are the details on this one. I have the pilot's final words that they heard on the air traffic control audio. I've got that and some other things. We'll look into this. It's all coming up next on the news Chunky quick question. I just want to gauge the temp on this. I want to know how people actually feel about this before we get into this TV news controversy. They just finalize a rule in the EU that's the European Union, so it's like, you know, all European countries and they just finalize a rule that requires there to be on a camera. A camera in every new vehicle on the driver at all times. So in your car, it requires a camera pointed at the driver twenty four to seven or whenever you're driving. Obviously you would have to have this camera pointed at you to gather information for god knows what, for god knows what. And I ask you, would you be cool with that in the United States? Because that is coming? Just so you know, like that's absolutely positively coming in the wave of technological advances in cars. It's happening. You're going to have a camera in your car on you every time you're driving it, every single moment. How do you feel about that? Would you be less likely to buy a car that actually had that?
Speaker 11: Right now?
Speaker 3: When you say it's coming, are you saying that the law is coming to require this or are you saying that the technology is coming, because that's already here. The technology is already here.
Speaker 2: And I believe celane in a lot of teslas, in a lot of like a lot of the electronic battery powered vehicles that.
Speaker 3: They use the camera for the vehicles that are are you know, uh, semi autonomous to make sure because they're not fully autonomous, you still have to have your eyes on the road. You still have to be paying attention to what you're doing so you can take over if need be. However, I think that those cameras are among the ones in the tesla that are accessible if there were to be some sort of wreck or some sort of incident, much like the ones for the outside of the tesla, where if somebody were to like din your car or key your car, it would save footage of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are ways around this, and I'm sure you've seen them, Selan. Here's one that has two million views. This is somebody in a tesla and they show how they're on the camera here in their tesla. The camera shows them with their head facing them, and then they pull it off and it's a little three D printed version of their head that they stuck right above the camera that makes it look like their eyes are on the Red's hilarious, even if they're not. I've seen a bunch of people sort of hacking there that works. I've heard it does. I don't know if it really does, but anecdotally I have heard that it does.
Speaker 3: I think it like it would have to. I believe that those eyes were real and that they're just never moving and constantly on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is it smart enough to know that would be strange? Is a technology smart enough to say, hey, this isn't right, This must be fake. Someone must be screwing with the cameras here. I'm not sure. Here's somebody a Shanaka Perreira, who is an independent analyst, talking about this and says, as of this morning, every brand new car sold in Europe is mandated by law to watch its driver. And the reason to worry is the opposite of what everybody's screaming about. The camera is not filming your face. The law explicitly bans that. It rather tracks your eyes. The danger is not what it does today, it's what it's physically possession tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Does not make sense. The camera is not filming your face, it rather tracks your eyes. Well, the camera is looking at your face. Maybe it's not saving video of your face. Yeah, but I mean like to say that the camera is not you know, THO just seems a contradictory. Here, here's how stupid this is. You know, this is why people should have this on their radar.
Speaker 2: What they mean is that while it's not recording an image of your face, it's mapping your entire face and can provide a map of your face afterwards to show where you were looking, what you were doing. So while it might not have the skin on your face, and it might not have your your color eyes, it's still your face.
Speaker 3: This is like, this is the opposite of what they do when they say, hey, the the Hubble Space telescope has taken a picture of the furthest star we've ever seen. It's got a picture. Here's the picture. And it's like, no, it's not a not a picture. It's not a like a visual picture like you and I would look at. It's a positive. It's taken readings of the star. Yeah, and then somebody has taken that data and created a picture out of it.
Speaker 2: Some galaxy brain has taken this and brought it to the next level. He says, the cameras film your face with long explicit bands that it rather tracks your eyes. The danger is not what it does today, it's what it's physically positioned to do tomorrow. I want to ask you think about this for a second, like, would you be wary, Josh? Would you be fine driving a car? I don't think your car does this, right? No, I don't believe it does. If your car had a camera that was pointed on your face all the time and sort of monitoring you, would you be okay with that or would you have concerns?
Speaker 1: I'd buy an older car. I think a lot of people might also. What if you're wearing sunglasses, I still track your eyes somehow.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was tinted sunglasses, probably not right. Yeah, I don't know if we'd be able to see that. It says every new car and van, roughly eighteen million of them a year, must now carry an infrared camera, usually on the steering column, that follows the driver's eyes look away too long six seconds under fifty kilometers an hour, three and a half above it, and the car warns you with a sound of light or a buzz in your seat. We're now like in some big experiment done by the car manufacturers, where if we don't perfectly sit in our car, if we slump a little bit, if we, for eyes, go off in the distance, they shock, they vibrate, They light up a thing on the dashboard that tells you to go get some coffee at the next stop. That's where all of this is going. So for the Tesla.
Speaker 3: It says you can absolutely wear sunglasses while driving the Tesla. However, if you use the full self driving system, darker or polarized sunglasses can prevent the in cabin camera from tracking your pupils. This disables hands free driving require you to periodically tug the steering wheel to prove your alert.
Speaker 2: So you've got to, like, you've got to pull on the steering wheel if we were watching us everywhere, and now you're gonna be behind the wheel of your own car that you paid for, and they're going to be monitoring how you're doing. So if you get into an accident and they say, oh, I'm sorry, the technology has determined I'm seeing the face mapping right here. Well, this is this is grock.
Speaker 1: All right, let's find.
Speaker 17: Some music, good idea, good idea.
Speaker 2: Human husband, you haven't perfected the dialogue yet, Grok like, oh we're all doing this.
Speaker 1: Everyone comfy back there?
Speaker 13: Yes, all good, here with the dog.
Speaker 1: All right, let's find.
Speaker 7: Some music, good idea.
Speaker 2: Okay. Also, what was she doing there? She puts her hand behind his seat and then.
Speaker 1: I feel like she was meant to caress him, and read she did. She was very off.
Speaker 2: This is strange, but this is what is happening now in Europe and probably gonna happen to your car within the next five years or so. Are you okay with that? Let us know what you think. Said a dispatch over at the news Junkie dot com Right now. Lots of people emailing the show. We always want to hear what you have to say. Uh, here's somebody who wants to be anonymous. Good new, Good morning news Junkie. I hope you heard about the tragic accident in Castleberry recently. It took two innocent loaves. They just released their name, so I thought I would share. I did not hear about this anonymous an accident where and the link doesn't work that you sent, So see if you can find something else for me. Tips at the news Junkie dot com. I'd love to see what you're talking about. Here's Ken talking about Mitch McConnell. It says when Eminem was supposed to be well getting around and staring into space while trying to speak in public. I think he's talking about Mitch McConnell. Eminem. You can't just call him Eminem and think that I'm going to know what that is is that a nickname that.
Speaker 3: People used I've never heard, you know, because on account of the other eminem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm all, I'm thinking of slim shady here. But when Mitch McConnell was supposed to be well and getting around and staring into space while trying to speak in public, I would guess now he's still probably staring into space now that he is sick from Ken Ken. Do me a favor proofread a little bit some of you folks. There's a little extra eyeball on the email, and that would be I think quite helpful. All right, that would be I'd be able to understand what the hell you're talking about at least a little bit more. Let me get some of these refreshed. Somebody says, you guys started off talking about that Trump gas station. Here's an Obama gas station in Columbia, South Carolina. Is this our future political gas stations?
Speaker 1: You know they have a Barack Obama rest stop in Ireland? Do they realized, Swear to God? Do they just particularly like Obama? He's their second favorite Irish president.
Speaker 2: Oh after JFK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Here is big Bird talking about the cameras in these vehicles.
Speaker 9: Tesla cameras do follow your eyes. They can see through your sunglasses if they're like Walding glasses. Of course they couldn't see through that, but then again, neither could you.
Speaker 1: So true.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: The other thing is I'll put it wouldn't work as it does track your eyes the truck's track side movement. It gives a sampling over a period of time. And if you don't respond like a normal person, sober person would, the car is going to stop to pull over. They're not gonna call nine to one one or nothing like that. They just pull over, no matter where you're at.
Speaker 1: Is that even possible?
Speaker 2: Like your Tesla, your car, whatever car you have, it sees that your eyes aren't on the road. Can your car legit pull over? I don't think that's a feature anywhere right now? Is it?
Speaker 1: It's definitely really capable of doing so.
Speaker 2: I know it can, but he's suggesting that it does, and I don't believe that is a situation that's happening now. I think your car will vibrate, like Sea Lane said, it'll make you like tug the wheel, It'll it'll do all sorts of things. But I do not believe that your car if it's thinking you're doing something unsafe, will pull over. However, did I save this? Let me see if I save this.
Speaker 3: It says yes, a Tesla will automatically pull over and come to a safe stop if you fail to respond to its driver monitoring system.
Speaker 1: Seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how the cover behaves depends on whether you have full self driving engage or if you're using standard autopilot. But if the cabin camera, steering wheel sensors detect you were unresponsive for looking away, it'll issue an escalating series of loud beeps and flash a bright blue red warning on the screen. I wonder if they chose blue red because it looks like a cup. Well, I was totally I had no idea.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that they would actually pull over like that, that that could happen. Thank you for the information. And the other thing that's of concern. Did I say this? I thought he'd hear it is. Yeah, So this is sort of along the same line of this. There were two young teenagers who were inside one of those waymos Sea Lane when you went to California. We're in one of those waynos, and the teenagers weirdly enough written it. Since it's been here in town, ya, But that's just because it's not going anywhere that I would be going. The teenagers hailed a driverless car way Mo, and when they get in the car, they're driving around and they're shooting those Josh, what are those little beads called that you can orbis orbi's. They're shooting these Orbi's guns, which is kind of like a BB gun, but it's not as hard as a BB Obviously, they're driving around in the driverless vehicle and they're shooting people that they go by. The car apparently called nine to one one on its passengers nitch, and the car snitched them out. So just look into the future that I'm showing you here, and I'm going to get to this story about Miami and the news anchor and the drama going on there.
Speaker 3: You're saying that it's a bad thing that the way Moo car snitched out the kids that were orbit shooting people.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Saying necessarily that that is a bad outcome, because it's good for all the people that were shot by Orbi's. Yes, we're impacted by this, but I'm saying it's a reality we need to consider moving forward, that our vehicles are going to rat us out. And you might say, Sean, they already do that, and you're partially right because in the last couple of decades there's been technology under the hood of your car that after an accident, they could pull the data and it could see whether you hit the brakes, whether you were speeding.
Speaker 3: Famously is you know, it's been on our radar recently because of the whole documentary on Netflix about the Shirilla Sharilla Mackenzie Sherilla. They took her the equivalent of the car's black box and like analyzed all of the readings before the crash and said that she didn't try to stop. In fact, she may have even hit the gas harder and just crashtraighted this wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now they know that stuff. But now this is going further. Your car is going to call nine to one one on you see, which says, I really like my two thousand and six Scion XPE. Nothing fancies starts every time, no cameras keep it. Let's see what this has. Is there an audio on this? Oh, this is the cops are pulling over the weaymo. Yeah, this is the cops pulling over the Waymo after the waimo called nine to one one on these teenagers who were inside the vehicle.
Speaker 1: Oh, they got the dog, They got the dog.
Speaker 2: They got their guns pulled because somebody was reporting that they were shooting out of the vehicle, or maybe the vehicle reported they were shooting out of the vehicle, and they went and arrested these young kids, or they at least talk to them about this. Two teen passengers had the police called on them by the driverless car. San Mateo, California police arrested the fifteen year olds after the driver list car company WEIMO contacted them about the teens drinking, underage and shooting orby's water pellets out the window. While there was some ingenuity to this scheme, toy guns, water guns and bibi guns all pose real dangers, especially to an untrained eye. Simply handling them can cause fear and passers by or those who don't get a good look. Shooting projectiles at speed can cause real damage. And let's not forget underage drinking. All bad ideas today for these two. So they're drinking and driving and powing around town having some fun, and the waimo that gets in calls the police on them. This is what is happening in the future with your cars. I want to know how you feel about that. Send us a dispatch at the newsjunkie dot com right now.
Speaker 3: I'm curious to the level of autonomy that the car calling the police was, Like.
Speaker 1: Was it the car noticed.
Speaker 3: Something out of the ordinary in maybe some some sort of AI kind of interpretation of the the in cab video and alerted a waymot center who then called the police. Or it's not like the car can talk to nine one one? Let me say, could I guess? Good questions all around selan, let me say wow Channel.
Speaker 14: Seven obviously having an open container in the vehicle. So that's been sent up to Hillcrest for review. We're still working with WEAIMO to see what they want to do about potentially firing outside of you know, a moving vehicle and what that actually looks like. But as of right now, they weren't placed under arrest. They were released to their parents while our investigational continues.
Speaker 18: Two fifteen year olds accused him of a drunken joey ride and a driverless taxi, drinking alcohol and shooting a pellet gun out of the car on the Peninsula. But it was the quick action of the WEIMO operators that got policed to the same grit Evan thank you.
Speaker 2: For joining us on band aff So when they say Waimo operators, are they applying that like the Waimo alerted HQ and then HQ like called nine one one. Now I'm understanding, Yeah, Okay, that's I think that's what they're saying. Is happening here the car didn't directly call nine one one, possibly in this case. Well, anyhow, all of this is where we're going. This is where we're going with you like it or not. There's going to be everything you do is going to be recorded. You're going to get tickets for all of it. The local authorities are going to bring in tons of money from it. This is why you shouldn't be afraid for them to be peeling back taxes at this point in time, because they're going to be doing a lot of this in the future. Here, give us your thoughts. We'll get to those as we roll on. When we come back, I'll get to that story out of South Florida in a Miami TV station where a bikini has caused a huge controversy that may lead to a popular TV news anchor being fired. Does any of this make sense? All? Make it make sense when we come back, But you tell me if it's right or wrong, because that is coming up next on the news Chunkie. Here's what's happening. There is big drama at a Miami television station. We've talked about them from time to time over the years. Local ten News is an ABC affiliate in Miami. And there's a particular anchor who I guess she was also a Miss Miami. This woman Janice Fernandez. Here she is. This is her at work for Local ten, and she's posing in front of the big giant screen in her outfit on the news. This is all very very normal stuff. And then I see this story and it says a Miami TV news executive ripped his staff for acting like social media influencers instead of journalists. After it, anchors bikini vacation post prompted an internal crackdown on what the executive the suit over there at this Miami TV station called cringeworthy online behavior. I'll show you the photos if you're watching on YouTube dot com. Slash the news junkie in just a moment. WPLG Vice President of News Bill Pehovey told staff he was that up, he said. He described this as foolish nonsense. How old is this guy? This is that's like one step away from Poppycock. I think this is a bunch of foolish nonsense appearing on social media accounts from employees. I have emailed numerous times in the past about this, the TV owner executive guy said, but we seem to be going in the wrong direction again. The memo is circulated after w PLG anchor and reporter Janice Fernandez shared a series of vacation posts from Fiji showing her I got it okay. Here is the photo that she posted on her account, and she's in Fiji apparently give her a raise, and she's in a red bikini. I will tell you first of all, I put this on see it now because I want all of you to look at this. Ladies, gentlemen, yes, I want everybody to look at this over and see it now, so you could tell me if you think that the manager at this TV station should be complaining at all. What I see is a woman who's in Fiji on sort of like a beach vacation. There's nothing weird or salacious about her bikini.
Speaker 1: Not at all.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. It's not like a g string. Not that that really should matter that much. It's not.
Speaker 3: There's nothing about its revealing. I mean, yeah, I don't. I don't find it to be anything super crazy. I don't know her bikini. That's not her acting like an influencer. No, she's just taking a picture.
Speaker 2: This is This sounds like an old executive who doesn't understand like young people are going to take photos of themselves. That's him, right, there is a this is what did he call it? A foolish nonsense? Young people are going to take pictures of them when they go on vacation. This isn't like an OnlyFans expose. It's just a woman in a bikini. She's in a red bikini. And there's a couple more. Maybe some of these are worse or something. This is another one. There's alcohol in this one. She's at a bar and she's in I think the same red bikini, or maybe another one. Maybe she just likes red bikinis. But she's just sitting there, standing at a bar. There's nothing really about this, there's nothing exposed.
Speaker 1: This looks like it was a video. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be it's from her Instagram. Is that okay Instagram story? Then okay, here's another one with her and two of her friends and they're cheers and shot glasses together and they're all in their bikinis. Again, none of them. When I say bikinis, none of them. There's no nipples hanging out. There's nothing exposed that you you couldn't expose. Hell, I could see the possibility. You may think I'm crazy for saying this. I could see the possibility that they could do a news report live on their actual news with the reporter in this bikini. There's nothing that like they.
Speaker 1: Do in South America.
Speaker 2: Well, not like that, Josh, but I mean like in terms of if they said, well, there's a story about something that happened at the beach, we want you to be in the water when you give this report. Some old o's might freak out, but it's not that crazy. And some younger women going and cheersing their shotglasses for an Instagram reel is also not radical or foolish nonsense or you know, they said you should. You're acting like social media influencers instead of journalists. Half of these people aren't even really journalists if you wanted to get down to the definition of it. Here's another one. She's in a different bathing suit. Here again very normal. Every woman watching this is gonna be like, I probably got a bathing suit like that. It's not wedged in her ass, it's not something incredibly salacious. It's just a regular bathing suit. These are up on sea it now so you can see the visual over on the news junki dot com. And then the last one is just her kind of hanging out, lounging in a chair and a yellow one yellow bikini, I should say green. He's a green. I'm sorry, colored line might be coming the player a lime?
Speaker 1: Is it a lime?
Speaker 8: Green?
Speaker 1: Is that fair?
Speaker 3: I mean, no, one, we're seeing the most of a boob. But even then, like not super great much. Yeah, So this is what she wears to work at Channel ten. She's in a short skirt. It's a very short skirt and high heels, and they put this is the outfit they want her in which she's on television, and then this is the outfit she posts or the bathing suits she posts when she's in Fiji on a vacation on her Instagram page. I can see the location on the Instagram post. It clearly states she's on Cloud nine.
Speaker 2: It does yeah, it says Cloud nine. Jfern TV. See how many followers does she have? Let's look her up on Instagram a TV like, it's not radically different here. I hate to have you do two things at once, but this is her again for you watching on YouTube dot com, slash and news. This is her in the TV station and then this is her in the beginning.
Speaker 1: It's not that bad.
Speaker 2: Twenty thousand followers, twenty eight thousand, So like, is this ruining the reputation of your television station?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: What are you even mad about? Here? Is what is going on? Tony says, what's the deal with this? This has caused a huge furor at this television station in Miami, Channel ten, and the boss has been yelling at all the employees and saying, you're acting like social media influencers and not journalists. And they're trying to add journalists or TV news people. Which is what I would say to this list of people with jobs where you can't post yourself enjoying life on social media. I don't think anybody cares. And honestly, the portion of your audience that would react to this and be upset and clutch pearls you probably want to get rid of anyhow. There's always a portion of your audience. It's like a squeaky wheel, annoying, obnoxious minority that you probably want to clean out. Every once in a while, I do that. Sometimes somebody will email and says it like and there'll just be a poisonous personality. I'd be like, I would like you to never listen again. I want you to never tune into the show again. I want you to never watch again. I want you. I know you will, I know you'll keep doing it, but I want to be rid of you. I want to prune you sometimes. And if somebody got mad at this, if somebody was a fan of Channel ten News in Miami and they got upset at this, this particular uh Genice Fernandez from WPLG, you don't want them anyway. They're just going to complain about everything on your channel. But let us know what you think. Really seems like not something to be upset about to me, But I want to know what your thoughts are. Megan says on TNJ Chat. Is it in their contract that they can't do that. I would imagine their contracts are similar to mine in some way at least, like just boilerplate speaking. I don't have anything in my contract about well, I do have there's stipulations about my behavior in my contract which allows them to fire me if I get arrested or do a bunch of other stuff, but not about this. I'm pretty sure I could wear a borat bathing suit to the beach and be yay nice. You know, I could do all that stuff my wife. I could do all that and I don't think that I would get in trouble. But yeah, go take a peek so you can see what's going on here, because I know it's a visual I want to show you. Was there news Junkie dot Com hit the menu, hit to see it now section.
Speaker 3: Was there any indication of when this memo was sent? Because the Fiji she had a Fiji post that wasn't in that slew of videos or slew of pictures, and in that little carousel you had that's from February of this year. So I'm like, did this just happen? I mean, she's a young girl. It's not like there're zero bikini pictures on this Instagram page.
Speaker 2: No. I mean, look, there would be for anybody. I think here's their actual page. On Channel ten, she's a six time Emmy Award winning anchor. Bro's like, she's won local Emmys six times. That's pretty impressive. She anchors the three pm and ten pm news Monday through Friday. She's got a decade of experience as a journalist. She's interviewed or she was reporting live when the white smoke appeared for the first American Pope, Pope Leo. She was the only local journalist to cover Hurricane Dorian from marsh Harbor and the Bahamas as the eye of the storm went through. You like, she's done stuff. This seems fine, but I guess the bosses were upset about it down there, and they were a bunch of people upset. This says Miami TV news anchor Post Bikini picks the social media, despite station crackdown on staff acting like influencers. I mean.
Speaker 3: Some of her pictures or influencer esques. She tends to vacation in nice spots like Grand Cayman and stuff like that. But it's like, buddy, she's been posting these for a while. I don't know, you were just okay with it until now, Yeah, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Who cares? Who cares about this? You know what? You should get them from for misinformation, over politicization of the stories that they're doing, getting something wrong factually. I mean, I wouldn't care if I own this TV station if they were spreading BH on social media. As long as they were winning local emmys, getting ratings and getting the news stories right. That's what the goal is. At least I thought that's what it was. But let us know what you think. We're gonna take quick break when we come back. We got the hot sheet for you. We'll roll into the second half of the show. We are just getting started. I got the mystery plane story and a whole lot more on the way, and it's coming up next in the news junkie. Right now, let's do the hot sheet.
Speaker 1: It's in new News, but not like real important news's investigative reporting on the planet, stories from the people on your screens. And then speakers are on the hot sheet with Sea La.
Speaker 3: That's right, it's the top five stories of the nonsense news, brought to you by that mortgage guy Don and I guess the big news in the entertainment industry today is that they've dropped the nominations for the Emmys, and my gosh, what a long list this is. Is the Emmy's the one that's starting to do podcasts now? Or was that a different one? Was that like a golden globe?
Speaker 2: I forgot? Let me see TV's big morning is here.
Speaker 3: The Television Academy on Wednesday revealed nomination for its seventy eighth annual Primetime Emmy Awards.
Speaker 2: No, didn't do it for podcast yet.
Speaker 1: That's Golden globes. Golden globes. Yeah. Overall.
Speaker 3: Last year's drama series Champ The Pit leads all nominees this morning with twenty five. Twenty five nominations for The Pit, followed by the final season of Hacks, which I stopped watching I feel like forever ago.
Speaker 2: Same after the first season.
Speaker 1: I was off of it. It was good.
Speaker 3: I just now there's so much of it. Hacks had twenty four. Apple TV's Widows Bay was third with nineteen nominations. Nice good for Widows Bay, followed by that line, it was good.
Speaker 2: It's just that now there's so much of it. Could it just just applies to so many circumstances? Yeah, after a while, it just did too much of it. Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Apple TV's Widows Bay had nineteen, followed by apple first year show. So was the Widows Bay pluribus with eighteen and Netflix's Beef with sixteen. Also, I thought weird as I was going through this list, they had like the list of nominations by program and coming in at nine nominations the Oscars. The Oscars can win an Emmy? Has the Oscars ever won an Emmy? They get they're nominated for stuff in like choreography and the event presentation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this seems you're crossing some some lines there. It seems can the Oscars get an egot?
Speaker 3: Like if they if they get the other three, can they just award themselves an honorary Oscar? And they're like, boom, we have an egot and you don't. Uh, we don't talk about video games a whole lot in the this segment particularly, But there was big news over the weekend that a lot of people were there. They were morning, they're upset and because the PlayStation Sony announced that the PlayStation will no longer actually have physical disc media. Yeah, the PlayStation five, I think is going to be the last one, and then now you're just buying your your codes. You're just buying a lead a box with a little code in it for your download. Do you have do you still have games with discs?
Speaker 1: Josh? Yeah, for my Xbox.
Speaker 2: Is this something that makes you upset? Is this something where you're like, now physical media is not there? Or do you not care You'd rather just download it?
Speaker 1: I don't particularly care, but I think getting rid of all physical media is not the best idea ever. Yeah, it feels like where we're heading, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it just further furthers along the idea that once you buy something, you can't have it forever because once they take it off the server, or once they in the case of like the stuff you buy on like Apple TV or Amazon, you buy a TV show, you buy season of a TV show that you like, and they're like, just kidding, our license agreement is done. I just I saw a post on read It the other day where someone is like I just figured out Apple TV doesn't actually let you buy stuff, and the comment sections like, yeah, duh, that's the thing that's been going on for a while, and people people are just you know, they they log into their account and they go, I want to watch this thing that I haven't seen in a while. As it turns out, I don't actually have possession of it. You can't own anything, So I think that's what a lot of the gamers are upset about. And they said while people are still reeling from Sony's announcement earlier this week that it will stop releasing PlayStation games on physical discs from the start of twenty twenty eight, they're now saying that they've already taken like the factory that used to make them and just repurposed it.
Speaker 2: So this happened fast for all the people who are in this industry.
Speaker 3: Production at the Austrian plant where they make these discs is going to drop around ten percent of its current levels by twenty twenty eight. The factory currently makes six hundred thousand Blank Blu rays every day, half of which are used for PlayStation games, and Sony has made some twenty six point four billion discs across its site so far. The existing staff of three hundred people still have jobs.
Speaker 1: But something tells me not for long.
Speaker 2: By the way on Twitch says and I think Josh will probably echo that a lot of people feel this way. I want the physical disc, Colocitia says, just in case if I want to play it, and if I don't have Wi Fi or something, for sure, I still want.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: You're now intertwining. Wait, actually, I don't know is this correct, Josh? Are you intertwining internet access with the games? Because or would you be able to play still if you download?
Speaker 1: I would think with their push to go all digital, they're going to allow you to download it and play offline. I would hope. It would be stupid as hell if you couldn't play a single player game offline. But you can only store so much yeah, yeah, and these game files are huge.
Speaker 3: Massive, And the thing is like, if I wanted to plug in my old Xbox three sixty and play Grand Theft out of five years and years and years and years after I bought it, I can. If I want to do it years and years and years from now, I can. True, even though you may not even be able to buy GTA five at that time, I don't see why you wouldn't. But you know, things have happened, and or if yeah, what if something happened in the entire Rockstar company gets canceled because something in GTA six is just way too salacious, right, you know, I paid the money for that. I'd like to be able to experience it whenever I want. But that's the direction they're heading in, and they're saying, instead of discs, the plants assembly lines will be producing optical micro lenses instead for all kinds of des Who knows what that's for, but at least they still have their jobs. There is another band that's now pissing off people. There's a bunch of reviews coming in because they say, oh, how great, how the once great have fallen? Motley Crue is lip syncing at their shows. And so Motley Crue back in the eighties out of the World. One of the most successful bands of the era. Their music was inescapable. The album Doctor Feel Good reached number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred, but recently fans have been calling the band out for what they appears to be lip syncing from lead singer Vince Neil. The caption claimed that Neil had always denied accusations of lip syncing. Although the band has us backing tracks before to boost their sound, they're not seeing it that way. They took to the comments to angrily accuse the singer of phoning it in and not singing anymore, with comments like his voice doesn't sound like that sounds like the studio version.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because it is.
Speaker 3: Early reviews are coming in on The Odyssey Christopher Nolan's retelling of the Homer epic poem mm hm, and it sounded like this could be pretty good. It sounded like a lot of people that have seen this are giving it rave reviews. Following the film's premiere, critics are calling the historical epic a Best Picture Oscar contender. Indie Wire editor at Large Ant Thompson called the film the best Picture contender to beat. Out of that Matt Damon could win Best Actor. Has Matt Damon went? Has he had anything Best Actor before?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is a big one for him because he hasn't really been in that much recently that I can recall.
Speaker 3: I feel like the stuff that he's been in has been a little on the smaller scale, or maybe there's been some comedies which are historically just not Oscar contenders.
Speaker 1: He got nominated for Goodwill, Hunting and The Martian, but he's never won this. Marshly.
Speaker 2: The other side of the corn Sea line, somebody says the other side of the coin, not the corn. Somebody, says Christopher Nolans, The Odyssey is now the most disliked Hollywood trailer since Snow White, but they don't have dislikes anymore on YouTube, so they must be using some sort of as a plug in I think that they use for this, So it's probably, I would guess, probably not accurate.
Speaker 3: I don't know where they would get those numbers from unless there was a trailer app, but those that seems to be a lot of people for an app that I wouldn't have heard of before.
Speaker 2: One of the things is Ellen Page now going as Elliott Page is in The Odyssey as like a man, but she's transgender. And they posted that, they posted like the Red Carpet, and they turned off the replies to it, So I think that's triggered some people. Maybe I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: But there's people trolling because of that, and because they made Helen of Troy or they cast a black actress for Helen of Troy.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, and possibly not enough Greeks is what I've heard too, Hey Bubby Boo. Multiple punits described the film as flawless and breathtaking. My high expectations were met, calling the film stunningly mounted. With an estimated budget of two hundred and fifty million dollars and a considerable worldwide tour de fund, the film will need to bring in at least five hundred million to break even.
Speaker 1: Oh this is good.
Speaker 2: Actually, Sea Lane The Odyssey has sold one hundred and fifty thousand tickets in their initial pre sales for opening weekend. Domestic Oppenheimer had sold sixty five thousand.
Speaker 3: I think those are the one that people are excited about. People want to see The Odyssey, the Christopher Nolan thing, And last but not least, in the hotsheet today, this is the first headline I've seen with the name Taylor Swift in it that has nothing to do with the wedding. But I think we talked about the girl that was filing this lawsuit against her, a case has been ongoing since twenty twenty four and claimed the pop star stole lines from poems to write lyrics to songs on Midnight's Lover and the Tortured Poets Department. Taylor Swift has finally won the copyright lawsuit over the song lyrics, which her legal team described as absurd. The infringement case was brought forward by Kimberly Morosco, a self published poet from Florida. I think this was the one that we had her TikTok video where she was like, Taylor stole all this stuff from me, but I'm still a big Taylor fan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: In court this week, federal Judge Eileen Cannon dismissed the case, saying that only common ground between the poems and the lyrics were vague references to gaslighting, as well as ubiquitous metaphors and common observations. These are quintessential themes, concepts, and isolated words, the kind of material copyright law does not protect and cannot be infringed. So the absurd lawsuit is over. A big win for Taylor now that she probably cares because she's had a whole lot of other stuff going on. Hey, if you want to move into a new place, maybe you were a renting and just tossing away all that rent money, just giving it to your landlord, letting him have it. And then you want to go into your first home. Maybe you got a dream home on your radar. That mortgage guy down wants to help you get a good rate on your mortgage. If you just take the first rate that's given to you, you don't shop it around, you could be leaving plenty of money on the table. So hit him up today. Go to that mortgage guy don dot com.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable work, unbelievable all the way around.
Speaker 2: Quick break. When we come back, we got to get into this missing plane. There's a commercial plane that just went missing as of yesterday. What happened to it? And first, before we get to that, I have a clip for you. It's another pick aside somebody who got fired for something they said at work. I'm going to play it for you and we'll see who you think was wrong, because that pick a side is coming up next on the News Junkie real quick. I just want to get this rant out of the way. I just want to get this out there because I see stories like this all of the time, and people get more and more angry at the United States Postal Service. First things first, shouts out to you all of our USPS employees who listen to this show every day. All right, Shouts out to the United States Postal Service and our postal people who are out there, male men, male women, out there doing the hard work in the hot sun. It's ninety three degrees right now. For God's sake, all right, I shouts out to you, and I appreciate you and your hard work. But people complain about the US Postal Service, and it's one thing that they're always complaining about, and to me, it makes absolutely no sense. They complain about the price of the Forever Stamp, which is like your basic bitch stamp, and it went up again. So right now, as of this Sunday, the Forever stamp will go from seventy eight cents to seventy or to eighty two cents, so it's going to go up four cents. A regular stamp will go up from seventy eight cents to eighty two cents, the latest in a series of increases aimed at stemming the agency's mounting financial losses. The USPS sucks at making money. They don't make money. They do not too well financially. Usually they're on the in the red. They announced the increase in April, but it's happening on Sunda. This has been six different times in the last five years that the Forever stamp has gone up. It was at fifty eight cents in twenty twenty one, and then, as I said on Sunday, it's going all the way up to eighty two cents. And people will complain specifically about the regular average Forever stamp, and they'll go, are you kidding me? It's now eighty two cents. It used to be fifty eight cents. This is silly, and I'll tell you why. But the real concern is nothing to do with stamps. The concern is Sea Lane knows as well as anybody because he calculates shipping when we do merch, and we do huge orders, over one thousand shirts and stuff, and whenever we do these orders, it gets more and more expensive.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: When we first started shipping out merch, well, first Sea Lane screwed everything up and picked media mail to try to save us a buck.
Speaker 3: That did save us a buck a couple times before we realized we weren't supposed to be doing it.
Speaker 2: Before we got a call from the post office, which you don't often get now. They called up the radio station and they said, hey, we got about fourteen boxes of shirts that you guys are mailing out. You screwed them all up. Get over here with some cash and you know you got you gotta pay a little bit more. The postal issues are more about the overall cost increases, not the stupid focus on just that forever stamp going up to eighty two cents. Actually, it's kind of amazing that the forever stamp is eighty two cents. I want you to consider that if I wanted to, I could take an envelope, write my name on it, and then write see Lane, U sucks donkey. You know, I could write something on there about sea Lane and sucking donkey, eve things on this piece of paper. I could close the envelope. I could put one eighty two cent stamp on that envelope, and a series of people would take the envelope from me, start to send it to the next person, send it to the next person, send it to I could send it to Hawaii, for God's sake, I think I could send it to Guam. I could send this thing all around the world. I could take a thing and I could send it all the way around the world for eighty two cents. And that is unbelievable that that's even a possibility for us. Right that the problem is not the forever stamp going up from sixty eight, fifty eight whatever to eighty two cents. The problem is that overall shipping of all things becomes more expensive. Forget about the forever stamp. It's that every little widget, every little shirt in our case, every little magnet, every little thing she does is magic. Every little thing that you can think of you try to send, is now more expensive. That is where the concern should be in this. It's still, as I said, absolutely amazing that you can put a stamp on something about sea lane and donkeys and balls and you could send it all the way around the world basically for eighty two cents. That's stunning to me. Okay, now let's get to this. I told a story one time on the show Ceilim about Lookout Mountain. Lookout Mountain was a place. You told it more than one time. I did. I did because there was key to my childhood. So I wanted people to know this thing about me, and very very quickly. The cliffs Notes version of this story is my family used to drive to Vermont every summer because my mom hated flying. Thanks a lot, she's passed that, God rest her soul. She's passed that on to me. And now I don't like flying, whether I like it.
Speaker 1: I thought you were saying she got past her fear of flying.
Speaker 2: She did in a way, Josh. Yes, where she's at now, flying is not of a concern to have.
Speaker 1: Complain about it.
Speaker 2: In years, she's been rather quiet on the on the complaint front for this. But we drove all the way up the East Coast every single summer to go to Vermont, where my mom was from and where my mom and dad met and got married and all that. And we would stop because it was a three day ride, because my dad and mom wanted to stop every ten hours or so. It took forever with the family to get up there. We would stop at all these little things. We would stop at South of the Border. You guys know what South of the Border is. Yeah, this is really Mexican theme park. Got it's got more more. I think it's got more billboards than things to do, I think, junction.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We would stop at all the underground cavern I guess they're all underground. We'd stop at all these types of places. One of the places that we stopped was this place in Tennessee called Lookout Mountain. And Lookout Mountain was this thing you would get in and what do you call a tram fornicular? Josh, what the hell does that even mean?
Speaker 1: The thing that climbs the side of a mountain.
Speaker 2: That thing. You get in that thing and it goes up the side of the mountain, right, and my family goes up.
Speaker 3: We go to the top of the Here we are Shawn and family riding in their clovicular.
Speaker 2: We're not a clovicular, something else, forniculararnicular. I got it right that time, I believe. And we go up the mountain. They're like here we were fighting wars, Civil War, cannon, all this stuff, beautiful view, great nick knacks, Patty Wax. And then we go back down. And when we're going back down, the side of the clavicular started to slam into one of the wires that holds these things up. And the wires just I mean the wires as big around as like you know a wrestling ring, the you know things on the side of the stabilization things on the side of a wrestling ring. It's a big around as a fire hose. Basically, these big wires, these guide wires that guided up the side of the mountain, and it starts smashing against our curvicular over and over and over again. The windows are smashing out of this thing that's taking us down Lookout Mountain. When you look down out of the vehicle, it is probably eighty to one hundred and twenty foot drop down the side of the mountain. And everybody's crying. Everybody's panicking, everybody's freaking out. My mother is crying, my sister is crying. My dad is just holding on. I have no idea what to do or what's going on. I'm just kind of freaking out right. And then that we survived. I don't remember he's also dead too, folks. He hasn't complained about this in a while either. But it makes the Finally we pull out of this all right, and we make our way down to the bottom of Lookout Mountain, and we survived this. We thought we were going to die. My family thought they were going to die. I really didn't know what was going on. It was just kind of like a robot reacting to it. And as I get down to the bottom of the mountain, I'm excited because everybody's alive. And we get back to the car. My dad realizes in the hot sun of this summer in Tennessee. I left out all of the Crayola crayons and they melted to the dash of the rental vehicle that we had, and my dad was so mad because he thought he was gonna have to pay a huge fine. And my dad was screaming at me when we just had a near death experience. And afterwards, that was one of the two things that he apologized as a father to me. As a son. He apologized for that moment because he said, we just almost died and there I was yelling at you. And he did this a couple of times to me. But this place, this Lookout Mountain, is the scene of where this pick aside happens. And there's a guy who's operating the vehicle that these folks are on. And here's the story. A conductor, they call him. A conductor at Tennessee's famed Incline Railway was shockingly fired for proudly celebrating America in Independence day after thin skin tourists took offense. This is what the article says. But I want you to tell me how you feel about this. Jack Peterson, the now fired operator at the one hundred and thirty one year old attraction up to Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee, wished his American passengers a happy Independence Day, and then came the part that got him fired.
Speaker 1: So here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's listen in.
Speaker 19: Very very few Americans in here, to the rest of you, I'll the greatest country on the face and if you disagree, you can't.
Speaker 1: Leave, all right.
Speaker 2: So this must have been going on before this twenty second clip, because you heard one of the passengers who's filming, say shut up. And he said to the very few. He must have been talking about how there's not that many Americans on the tram, right, So the very few.
Speaker 1: Very very few Americans in here, shut up here.
Speaker 2: And there's a couple of things that come to mind here buzzy.
Speaker 3: Thinking maybe there were some world covers in there, like, uh, it's hard to tell.
Speaker 2: Why would it be shocking that there would be tourists though? Isn't this like a mega tourist destination in Tennessee?
Speaker 3: It is, But I'm just saying, like from the backs of everybody's heads, I can't tell that there would be a lot of people who aren't American in there.
Speaker 1: No, really, I can't either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he said to the rest of you welcome to the greatest country on the face of the planet, and if you disagree, you can leave. Touchy riders, the story says, however, took offense at the patriotic welcome, with one man even demanding the conductor shut up as a trade descendant onto the one of the world's steepest railways, the railways. Passenger Nathan Sheer, who was on vacation with his family, posted the clip on social media with the hashtags racism and xenophobia, where it's been views over a few over five hundred and thirty thousand times. So he said this was racist. The guy got fired for him. He got fired. I wish I had more. All I have is twenty seconds and it's just not that much to really see you.
Speaker 19: Very very few Americans in here, greatest country on the face If you disagree, all.
Speaker 2: Right that part whatever? You know, fourth of July chest pounding, it's kind of cringe when you're in a tourist destination. But should this guy have gotten fired for this is the question, because that's literally what happened here, That's what happened in this case. Let me see if I can bring up some more details. It says Tennessee railway conductor fired over his viral Independence Day message of passengers. I think he was probably fired for how he was talking down to the customers more so than anything, for sure, because remember, these people are customers. Is this the original TikTok video?
Speaker 1: Very country? If you disagree, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's all they posted, because I want to know what happened before this, what other information we would know? Did people really take offense? Passenger Nathan scher Cher, who was on vacation with his family, posted this online. Treer reported Peterson, a part time worker to the Chattanooga Area Regional Transportation Authority, the operator of the incline. It really upset me the whole time riding down is Oh though they talked to the local TV station.
Speaker 10: It just really upset me the whole time driving down, totallyading down on the incline, and I kept thinking, the company needs to know about this, because he was the only one on there representing the company, and I just had the feeling that they don't know that he's saying this. So I went to the box office and I said something to them and they couldn't believe it, but they said there was a third party company that runs the incline, and they would reach out to them and make sure they're aware of that. But then when I went home, I still thought, thinking, well, what if they don't do anything. So I decided I found an email address for the incline and I wrote an email and sent it to them.
Speaker 2: All Right, so this guy complained he's with I think a person who might be his son or something. In the car was an abolish Ice shirt on, So maybe they're very diametrically politically opposed to this guy who was giving his speech on the on the train. I don't have any problem with him being fired because I think it kind of sounded in that short clip, though I'd like to hear more of what went down. It sounded like he was being rude to the people who were paying customers, right, so that you should, like, you shouldn't do that in your job. You should make sure you're nice.
Speaker 16: To do well.
Speaker 1: Do you know who's American and who's not?
Speaker 3: And that's true too, the way that you're just like sort of obnoxiously assuming that there's only a couple Americans here. I'm just constantly surrounded by non Americans, Like, dude, what what's going on.
Speaker 1: Here in this nicular full of dumb ass Europeans.
Speaker 2: Vicky says, did this recently happen after all the goodwill going on with the World Cup? Yes, this is recent, This is just over the last couple of days here, and he's telling his story to one of the local TV out there.
Speaker 10: I wanted to make sure they knew that we don't have any problem with the incline. We like the incline or whatever. We just really had a problem that you should be aware that he's making comments like that. And I had my granddaughter on there, was very embarrassed, and from in front of that happening in front of my granddaughter.
Speaker 20: I think people were you know, my whole feeling was like it kind of brought a hush across the train. So though I just kept thinking like this, this sucks for all the people on this train, trying to enjoy this time and assuming everyone was fine with being here in America.
Speaker 2: So to hear that, yeah, okay, you know what, abolish ice guy has a good point. I didn't know that I'd be saying that right now, but he kind of is a good point. These people are in the United States of America. They're traveling our great country and they've paid to go see this one hundred and thirty one year old tourist attraction. Doesn't that kind of sort for people who are are fans of America?
Speaker 1: If you don't love it, leave it, guy that paid to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't understand why you would be targeting these people. It's so weird and much like every other occasion where somebody says, well, if you don't lack it, get out, I don't see that the party that's receiving that that particular command goes, well, all right, let's a little get on Expedia and get those flights.
Speaker 1: Point This is it.
Speaker 2: This is one of the incline railroad things that I almost died on. Just for the record, this is what it looked like. And the wires that bring you around, one of them was smashing against the side of the vehicle car and the whole thing was going like you know, rocking around back and forth from left to right. That's where that whole thing happened. So I survived. Yeah, am I hero? Some people say yeah, some people have been saying that there's been whispers he's a hero.
Speaker 1: What an amazing guy.
Speaker 2: Greatest radio host there was whispers all over, but I'll leave that up to you with our dispatches that will check out in just a moment. All right, we're running a little bit behind quick break. You guys can give us your thoughts. Who you pick there? Do you pick the side of the operator of the Incline Railroad who is being a patriotic person in his mind? Or do you pick the side of the people who are complaining about this on behalf of the other folks along for the ride. Give us your emails tips at the news junki dot com, your dispatches through the website or app, and we'll be back in just a moment. The Missing Pilot is final audio. I'm finally gonna play that. It's coming up next on the news junk Kie. I was talking about schoo mic a little bit. I found this to be so strange. Politics is not only full of very very annoying people, but there's stuff that doesn't make sense. I was listening to something that you guys never would have pained yourself with yesterday. But it was the two Senate candidates that were in a debate with each other to try to win over the voters for the next election. And they're going back and forth and they're doing the thing like you got sixty minutes, Tell me what you think about this and what state was this in that they were running? Oh shoot, actually tell me who it was if you don't mind, just look up Senate debate and you'll see it was yesterday, I believe yesterday or within the past week. And I was listening to these two go back and forth, and it was interesting because you see the divisions between people, right like you see this was one person was like a mainstream Democrat and they were talking about I'm here to fight, nobody's gonna get in my way. I'm going to show up for the voters and every single day, I'm gonna fight for you. And the other person was a DSA candidate, so they're like the socialist candidate. And they were just talking about Israel almost the whole time. And this was for a Senate seed, so obviously, like you know, this was going to be somebody representing their state in the in the Senate. Did you find out which one it was or no?
Speaker 3: Democrats clash over Israel and integrity and fiery Michigan Senate debate.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's it. It was Michigan.
Speaker 3: We've been Representative Haley Stephens and former public health official.
Speaker 1: Abdul El sayed, all right, this is this guy they call like a fake doctor and stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't know too much about the drama going on there, but you had this woman Abigail, Abigail Stevens. You said, Haley Stevens, Hailey Stevens. And his name is what.
Speaker 1: Abdul Abdul El sayed.
Speaker 2: L sayed, okay, And you had these two going at it back and forth. One is mainstream Democratic politician. I just I don't know too much about her policies, but from what I could hear, she just sounded like a regular her Democrat politician, and she's outlining what she wants to do. The socialist guy keeps talking about Israel over and over and over again, Apak NonStop. He's talking about and they're battling. You see the divisions between the two of them. But it came out in the debate that this socialist guy, his campaign was being supported, propped up and funded as the tune of millions of dollars by the Republicans in the state, and the Republicans because they thought it would be easier to defeat him in the election, were actually supporting this guy and running ads that highlight some of the things that he stands for to try to like run an ad campaign to get the guy to win that's more radical, so that you think you can beat him in the general election. Well, wouldn't that be Like what I've said before?
Speaker 3: You know, people are people kind of complain sometimes that you can only vote in the primary for the party that you're registered for, depending on where you live, and they're like, well, wouldn't wouldn't it make sense if you were, in this case, the Republican Party and you could vote in the other party's primary, wouldn't you just want to flood the polls and vote for the guy that you think is a dumbass.
Speaker 2: Yes, people do that or they try to. And when you can in states where you can, because there's a couple of states I think where he can, right, I think there might be not here open primaries. There's a couple of states whe you can. But it seems so weird, Like I bet you would you would have like the opposite of this would be Democrats propping up some like Maga Trump guy candidate, and you would probably talk to those people and they go, this person is the biggest threat to Michigan. Oh my god, this person should never be a charge. But they're also supporting them because they think they can beat them in.
Speaker 1: The general election.
Speaker 2: I just that's so crazy to be like, either somebody is dangerous and you don't want them to be in office, and you should not do anything to support them ever because that could lead to the tiny chance that they may actually win this election, or they're not right, Like so wild to me that they're running ads and the ads were supposed to be like hit pieces, but they're done in such a way where they talk about things that highlight stuff that this socialist candidate was doing that might win over some of the voters because they really wanted him to win. And I just like, what a risk if you really think somebody's so dangerous they're gonna screw up the state, screw up the country representing these people in the Senate, but you also are willing to put millions of dollars behind funding them because you think you can beat them. Because cfl cancer, right, it's the gamesmanship of it all. To me, Either that person is dangerous and you don't want to put any money behind them at all or they're not. But that's what was going on in Michigan with that debate, Yesterdad, And it was very interesting to hear, like all the stuff because they were kind of getting dramatic with each other in this back and forth debate that was happening. Some of you may have seen that, probably just me, but either way, let me know, send a dispatch over the news Junkie dot com. I have a ton of emails to get into. I want to thank really quickly Tom Tom for the ten gifted subscriptions over on at the website. Thank you so much, mister Tom Tom. Yeah, there he is. Thank you, Thank you for that. Appreciate that. Also one more to mention here Landscape for the three gifted subscriptions premium subscriptions that you claim unlock secret shows over on the website at the news Junkie dot com. Let's talk about this missing pilot thing here real quick. I have a little bit on this. This is K two Airways. Anybody ever heard of K two Airways? No, this is my first experience with them.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: The final radio transmission of Captain Mohammed Rizwan Idres, a pilot of K two Airways, flight KTA one seven three to two has emerged after the tragic crash. This is according reports. I don't even know if they found any wreckage or anything. They just saw this thing fall off the radar. The cargo aircraft reported a navigational system issue before losing contact and later crashing in the Arabian Sea. And this is supposedly the last audio from this K two Airways flight. Let's see what we can learn from this.
Speaker 1: I expect after that number two.
Speaker 2: He is speaking English, but I don't. I don't think I picked up anything that at all that was filing K two. I'm gonna see if I could find somebody else who like transcribed this is this got the audio too, No, this is just the flight tracker. Fight tracking shows an extremely rapid descent, dropping thirty five thousand feet in less than two minutes, my god, before disappearing from radar Entirely, they don't know what brought down the plane. It was it Boeing seven point thirty seven. I wish they had somebody who like transcribed that audio so I could see what the hell the guy was saying. But he was talking about how there was something wrong with the navigational era was that the problem was that similar to the problem that they had with the Boeing Max planes. Was there some sort of like navigational thing that shut those down for a while.
Speaker 3: There was something that was causing them to take dives. I thought, yeah, it was autopilot or navigation related or they er it was getting interference from other systems and it was activating something that wasn't supposed to activate. Yeah, it's been a little bit of time since I've watched that documentary they had on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is different though. I keep seeing a lot of the clips to the audio, but nobody has a transcript of it. And it last registerred at thirty five thousand feet And then they said there was a bunch of people on board, at least five crew members on board the aircraft. The piloting command was that Mohammed Idris got You heard his voice, but I couldn't tell what the hell he was saying, honestly, And they were flying around and K two says they're cooperating with the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority and other government agencies to see what happened to this. That's their statement on this. But yeah, everything I see has like just the audio, and I can't tell what the hell the guy is saying. They're they're hitting me with the back on the plane thing. Plane crash. The guys did plan on the ground. Yeah, it seems inappropriate, folks, all right, chat seems a little bit inappropriate if you don't mind, so, yeah, I we'll look further into this. Oh here's another one K two Airways Boeing seven thirty seven, four hundred freighter registration AP Boi Boi disappeared over the arabianc late to his day while operating a cargo flight. That's why there was only five people on board, because it was a cargo flight with just the bare bones stack.
Speaker 1: That's the way.
Speaker 2: It still a little appropriate. The crew reported a navigational system issue and it was about one hundred and fifty five nautical miles of Karachi, Pakistan. Three minutes later, radar showed a rapid descent and heading change before contact was lost entirely. Flight Radar twenty four data places the aircraft's last position at blah blah blah blah. The Pakistan Prime Minister is confirmed the aircraft went down at sea, but I don't see anything. If they've if they've found like the wreckage or anything. But if this thing fell out of the sky, those folks are probably not with us any longer. This is this is the actual data here on flight radar, twenty four thirty five thousand feet at this point, and the vertical speed is like hopping all over the place. Then it starts going out. Oh that's going well. No, it went back up though, and oh then really quickly, so I don't know how fast you watch.
Speaker 3: The tiny plane. If you watch the tiny plane on flight radar, it looks like it just goes.
Speaker 1: This is spinning around on the.
Speaker 2: Savage so this is thirty five thousand feet and then boom. How often do these things update, you know, like the flight radar things. Let's see, because it went from thirty five thousand feet and then in just a blip, it looks like it's one minute later one thousand feet and then that's it. That's where it ended up saying at one hundred and fourteen knots and this plane just completely disappeared. But this is off the coast of Pakistan. Hopefully it didn't have anything to do with anything else going on in the Middle East, for God's sake, but this was a Boeing seven thirty seven. As I said, operated by this K two airway.
Speaker 3: ADSB broadcasts and aircraft's precise GPS location, speed and altitude once every second.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, so that must have fallen even faster. They said it was a couple of minutes. They said, within two minutes it went all the way down. But on this actual flate radar twenty fourth thing, it was one moment thirty five thousand feet and one moment one thousand feet all the way down. We'll see what we can find out about this and keep our eye on it for sure. And also now let's hear from you. Let's get in. Oh, we don't have a time. We got it to a quick break. Then we'll hear from you. We'll get in your dispatches and emails before we do jury duty. That is on the way and it's coming up next in the news. Junkie Sea Lane, Josh, you guys have seen Shark Tank before at some point in time, and that show's been in syndication forever. I feel like you would have to actively try to not watch that show at some point. But it's coming back, and they said they're because everybody else is kind of aging out, Mark Cuban, he's kind of retiring from the show. And the other folks who are getting a little bit older, Barbara Corkoran, she's pretty old. Now you've got Kevin O'Leary, that's the mister wonderful guy. And yeah, from the Marty Supreme movie. And now they got to bring some young blood in. And when I saw the list of people that are going to be in the new season of Shark Tank, I was like, wow, I did not expect that. One of the people is Jimmy Donaldson aka mister Beasts. He's going to be on Shark Tank in the new season. In interesting, I can see that, right, mister Beast doing his mister Beast thing on Shark Tank. The other one that I didn't expect, Mindy Kaling from the Office A me like that, I guess, so, I guess she does. She is going to be on the new season of Shark Tank is one of the Sharks. And then Favorite Daughter co founders Aaron Foster and Sarah Foster. I don't know what that is. Favorite Daughter. Have you guys heard of this? No Diary of a CEO host Stephen Bartlett. I don't know him either. Kendra Scott I've heard of before. She's a lifestyle brand guru. And JJ Watt from the NFL. He's going to be in there as well. They're just like throwing a bunch of randos at this thing.
Speaker 1: Favorite Daughter is clothing?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Favorite Daughter must be a big successful brand.
Speaker 3: I would guess they've had a lot of like guests as sharks on Shark Tank over the years. I mean, I think even season one was the only one that looks like they didn't have any. Season four didn't seem to have any. But they've had a bunch of these people, right, But some of them are more celebrity than investor. I think, like I think, you know, we didn't really know the names. And Mark Cuban maybe a little bit. I think he's more famous for Shark Tank than like you would instantly just know his background as an investor and how he built his business in sports and stuff like that. At Kevin O'Leary wouldn't have known Robert Herd you back. Definitely not Barbara Corkoran, No, Damon.
Speaker 1: John, Yes, I would know. I only know him.
Speaker 3: From Fubu because of Short Tank, because I like when they do the intro they're like Damon John who started Fubu. No.
Speaker 2: I remember Fubu in school because it was weird. I remember Fubo too, all the white kids in middle school wearing fubu, which was literally not supposed to be for the white kids and cross colors at the time, and that dude made a bank on that Fubu line.
Speaker 3: While I knew about the Fubu line in middle school, I remember making fun of the kid who had a knockoff Fubu in the lunch line. He had like if you looked really closely those that wasn't n F and that wasn't a it would look like poo boo instead of fooboo. And so we were like, it's.
Speaker 17: Poo boo guy. But I didn't know the name Damon John himself. By the way, guys probably just fine, maybe we'll see. But like, so, they had these celebrity guests in and I go, well, okay, uh, Jeff Foxworthy, he's rich.
Speaker 1: Are they all? You would hope?
Speaker 3: So if they're supposedly putting up their own money, Jeff Foxworthy is one of them.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Uh, Richard Branson, that's a good guess because that guy has money to invest in stuff. Alex Rodriguez, I'm guessing of Yankees fame. Yeah, A Rod was on there.
Speaker 2: He's rich, but he's he oh Ashton Kutcher, Kevin Kutcher. Yeah, and all these people invest in all sorts of stuff. I did not know Mindy kaling Uh was into that. I somebody says she's hugely successful alien on TJ Chack of course, and she's been in a bunch of TV shows. Office is really where she's gotten most of her success. But she's been in a bunch of TV shows. I didn't know that she was like a business person and would be up on on Shark Tank. But I guess they're trying to bring it to the younger generation now, so they eject a little to mister peacet in it like everything else these days. All right, here we go. We'll see what you think about that when we get to your feedback. Momentarily. Right now, let's do jury duty.
Speaker 4: Court is now in session, so put your phone down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to whip your ass.
Speaker 2: You're knowing jury duty with the Noos Junkie. Jury Duty brought to you by the one the Only Mo de win of the DeWit law firm. Injured on the go, Just call MO eight hundred, CALLMO eight hundred, CALLMO, or go to Just CALLMO dot com after an accident. Reach out to the attorney that's going to help guide you to that big check you deserve and trust me, you do indeed deserve it. That is just CALLMO dot com. This is crazy. One of the more strange stories of the day, items left behind at a cracker barrel as in the restaurants, have led to an arrest in a nineteen eighty five cold case murder. All right, they found stuff at a cracker barrel Josh that have led to an arrest in this cold case. Here's what the story says. From NBC News, items discarded behind a cracker barrel restaurant in Georgia played a key role in helping Ohio prosecutors secure an arrest in connection with the killing of a traveling salesman more than forty years ago. According to authorities, a Warren County grand jury issued a two count indictment accusing Randy Lane McAllister, a sixty two year old Columbus resident, of playing a role in the October seventeenth nineteen eighty five strangulation death of John Christopher Warren. Warren, forty four, was found dead in his room at a since shuttered holiday inn in Middletown, just outside of Cincinnati. But Kalliser's charged with killing Warren while committing or attempting to commit the offensive aggravated robbery. He was trying to steal a nineteen eighty five Oldsmobile at the time. Now let's see how cracker Barrel comes into play. At the time of his death, he lived in Kent, about two hundred and thirty miles from where he was killed. He worked at an auto parts company and was in town for meetings. Days after the slang, police in Dalton, Georgia, recovered some of Warren's property and other relevant items discarded behind a Cracker Barrel restaurant about four hundred miles away. His car was found in Reading to Beach, Florida, a thousand miles away from where he was killed, so they knew somebody took the car and drove the hell out of there. The slang went unsolved for decades before Warren County Sheriff detectives sent items recovered from all three crime scenes, including the cracker barrel to be tested for further analysis. A few years back, it wasn't clear how investigators initially connected the cracker barrel items to Warren Slang or what sparked the new interest in the case, but that came back with a DNA match and it led detectives to McAllister. Unfortunately, one of the people who helped him out is now deceased, so they will never see any sort of justice themselves. But they caught the guy who they said did this murder. And if you got away with a murder back in the nineteen eighties and it's twenty twenty six, oh man, you probably feel like you ain't never getting caught you so bad. I know, I made it forty years and after all that time, because of the stuff they found at a cracker barrel, they have arrested this particular guy and now we'll see what happens with him.
Speaker 1: Warren.
Speaker 2: Who's Warren Warren? Warren County Prosecuting Attorney David Forschnao says, everything I intend to say is on social media. I don't have any further comment. Okay, that's an interesting way to say it to the press, is I don't have anything else to say, I've already said what I'm saying here, but a just check your Facebook like and subscribe for part two and then you'll get your statement. It would be the case. So that's what's happening there in Jury Duty today. Thank you to Motivated the Dwit Law firm. Appreciate you. When we come back, we kick off the Power Hour. We got to get into the the gram platinir drama. I want to talk about a blooper from the President that I've been wanting to work in. We'll play that and see what that means. Then there's this young kid who went missing and a story behind him that's getting a bunch more press. All of that is coming up next in the News Junkie. We kick off the Power Hour, But first I want to can we just double check Ceilan that that building in New York City has not fallen to the ground yet?
Speaker 17: Yes, so far.
Speaker 1: I think we would know if the building in New York City has fallen down.
Speaker 2: It was a little concerning yesterday when we saw that the stabilizers and the beams for this building. I think the expert compared them to rushed cigarettes.
Speaker 3: The construction guy there was like, uh, they didn't use union guys on this, and the beams crushed like cigarettes.
Speaker 2: The greatest union ad ever. The union guys are just waiting outside for the cameras.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't have done this.
Speaker 3: We talked about off the air yesterday that there was another building in New York City that is kind of halted production very much if I Soorece style style and just like unfinished because they didn't do all the drilling down and the pilings that you would normally do, and so like part of the building was sinking into the soil and so it's leaning. It's the leaning building there. And when you look up the Wikipedia page of that building, there's also claims or you know that this building was protested by union construction workers because their use of non union labor.
Speaker 2: That's so good, that's such a smart strategic move. Yeah, other buildings are falling and you go, you're like, hey, this is what happens, right, Hey, the buildings fall down because the crush like cigarettes.
Speaker 1: A shame if something happened to your nice building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you say, like, well, what buildings did you do? All the ones that ain't falling down, those are all the union ones. Well okay, well, we'll keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: I think I saw this morning on the news that they were there were some very very brave individuals rushing in there to put like temporary support struts up there, ones that could hold all the extra building they built on top of the building.
Speaker 1: That was there.
Speaker 2: God, I don't know if I mean. I wouldn't be going up in that for anything, would you. This building looked like it could come down at any moment in time. The floors were crumbling. It was thirty story building or something, and they got greedy and they tried to build it higher. And when they built it higher, the stuff they were building on top of the building was too heavy for this structure. Well they there was.
Speaker 3: I guess they're supposed to do like reinforcement on the exiit beams if they're putting that much stuff up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they did not. No, they seem to have cut some corners, you might say. But we'll keep an eye on that. So far, so good. I don't have any buildings falling just yet in New York. That's this. Yeah, we'll knock on wood over here too while we do this. Let's do the power hour.
Speaker 1: They said it couldn't be done.
Speaker 2: Then they said, don't show my laptop right now, I'm searching for BJ's all right, time for the Power Hour on the news, chunky Y.
Speaker 3: The way I delivered that was maybe more suspicious than it could have been otherwise.
Speaker 1: But here we go in our Power Hour.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of talk about this dude, Graham Platner, and a lot of people are gonna be like, who who is Graham Platner. Don't worry, I'll bring you up to speed. This is a guy running for office as a Democrat in Maine. And the first thing that came up on my radar about this guy was he's one of these like sort of like a lot of times, Democrats will try to put forward candidates that are a tough guys, military veteran. He's aggressive, and he's sort of going to be the antithesis of like a Trump. You know, he's loud and bombastic, but he's on the other side. And that was working well with a lot of supporters in Maine, and it looked like Graham Platner might end up being the next what he's gonna be a senator, I believe is what he was running for. Yeah, US Senate candidate and he might be the next senator from the state of Maine, and a lot of people supporting him. But there were some problems. There were some cracks beginning to form far before this explosive story from Politico that I'm looking at, which say is exclusive woman who dated Graham Platner says he sexually assaulted her. So we'll get into those accusations, which have him really on the precipice of being pressured out of his campaign and stepping down. But Graham Platner had a lot of other things that rose up to meious. The first thing was this guy who appears to be in decent physical shape and parties quite a bit. From what I can tell, was on full disability, a full disability payout, full check every single month from the United States Military. Right, you can't see anything wrong with this guy. I know, you can say, have PTSD whatever. This guy seemed to have no issues that would cause him to have to be permanently disabled and get US taxpayer dollars for the rest of his life. Josh, how old is he for? Oh, I see forty one years old. Forty one years old. It's forty one years old, and he's going to get paid out full disability for the rest of his life from US taxpayers because he's somehow disabled. More. That to me seems like something we should look into a bit more. I know some of you will really clutch pearls at what I'm about to say, but I happen to believe there's probably a lot of fraud in the world of disability for the military. I think there are a lot of people on permanent disability from the military who are taking advantage of that situation. I think that that is important because I think I really do care about disabled veterans, and I want actual disabled veterans to be treated in such a way that we don't look at them and say, well, this is just another person faking it. I want them to be treated by their government in a respectful way to make sure that you know, they get what's coming to them after serving this country. But then you have some people like this where I'm like, bro, you're forty one, you're banging everything in sight that's not your wife, apparently, and you are out there in front of the camera every five seconds. I really am not seeing it. I'm not putting it together. I believe there's a lot of fraud in this system, and I think we should look into Graham Platner being on full disability as part of that. So that was one thing that came up. Then he said he was an oyster farmer, which apparently was not really true about his background. A lot of lies that come up here. Then he said he pulled himself up by his bootstraps and got started on his own and blah blah blah. Then it turns out he got a two hundred thousand dollars loan from his father to buy the house that he had, and he was making up that story too, So it just piles on and on and on. But none of that had him stepping out. Because you have stuff like this hailfire, people will be like, hey, how is this any different from the fraud that the president does? Right, So it's like everybody now is in this arena where you go your guys won't step down when there's a controversy. When our people are up there, we're not going to have them step down either. We're just all just going to pretend like none of this is happening and nobody should ever step down. That's the current environment that we find ourselves in until this report dropped. This guy was cruising through. There was still people standing up for him, saying he did nothing wrong, supporting him. Blah blah blah. Politico said a woman who dated main US Senate candidate Graham Platt says he forced her to have sex with him nearly five years ago despite her repeated objections, an allegation Platner denies. The woman. Oh, the woman is a forty one year old main resident named Jenny Resico. Is he forty one two? Yeah, they're both okay, So they both are. The woman, forty one year old main resident named Jen Resicott, detailed the alleged incident to Politico and three interviews over the past two weeks. Politico also spoke with a man Rasicott dated and confided in years after the alleged incident, and reviewed documents, including emails between her and her therapist and messages between her and an acquaintance whom she warned against getting involved with Platner years before he ran for office. She said she had an on and off relationship with Platner, who's now the Democratic Senate nominee in Maine, for more than two years before he entered her rural main home uninvited one night in late twenty twenty one. He was so this is not even that long ago. Five years ago. Platner goes this woman's house twenty twenty one, late at night. He's deeply intoxicated, and he forces himself on her while she repeatedly told him to stop. She said she cut off contact with him after telling him the encounter was not consensual. I remember him grabbing my pelvis and being really forceful on me. I remember this specific moment where I thought to myself, this is no longer my choice, he says. Platner says the allegations are troubling, serious and false. It's categorically untrue. But at the time, and why would she have any reason to do this, because nobody knew who the hell this guy was. She confided in her friends what had happened with this guy. She told people that Graham Platner, who wasn't running for office at the time, who wasn't a man of power, who wasn't a politician, who wasn't any of these things. She told her friends what had happened before there was any sort of fame involved here, which is, you know, seems like maybe some evidence that some of this is true, and she said she was upset because there was all these allegations against this Graham Platner guy, but he was still staying in the race now. To her credit, she also says she totally agrees with him and supports him. So she was kind of juggling whether or not she should come out with these allegations, but she felt like she had to because she didn't want this predator having a position of power in the US Senate. So like, ideologically, she's not some Republican or something. She agrees with Graham Platter. She likes him and she wanted to support his campaign. She said. In the weeks after the alleged assault, she considered going to the police, but struggled with shock and confusion about what happened her and did not file a police report even as time passed. She said she felt uncomfortable potentially telling a police officer about such a personal experience and feared retaliation from Platner. At first, she only confided in her therapist, who she continues to see. So they go on some guy she dated after him. She ended up talking about that, and she shared some Facebook posts. I guess I saw your post about oysters the other day. I feel morally obligated to warn you if you were anything more than just friends with Graham Platner. But if you're not, then I'll just shut up for now and give you this scoop sometime lol. Just friends would love the scoop though, And she said, is he still engaged? I was working on fixing him up with a friend. Oh, I have no idea with who. Oh some girl I think her name is, and it's blocked off. This is some proof that some messages were going across here. She said he was drunk, it wouldn't take no for an answer. So that's the basic story that started this, and he has still not dropped out. Then a news story pops up today that said another one of his ex girlfriends claims he would remove condoms during sex without her permission.
Speaker 1: Which is also probably not a good look. You might imagine.
Speaker 3: Aren't there some jurisdictions in which that is under like a sexual assault?
Speaker 2: I think celane and I'm not positive, so do fact check me and correct me if I'm wrong. I think this is exactly what the rape charges were against Julian Assange of Wikipedia. I think the claims were that he you mean WikiLeaks, wiki leaks. Excuse me, thank you for correcting me on that part so far. Let's see if I got the rest of it right. But Julian Assange was the guy behind this WikiLeaks company which was trying to take down all these governments by leaking out top secret information. And then when he was in Europe somewhere, as I recall, he had sex which was consensual sex with some women. One of the women said it was consensual sex well, she was having with him, but then afterwards she decided to withdraw her consent, which seems crazy. The other one was a woman who said that he stealthed her, which is like removing the condomer or the protection that you're wearing during the sex without the permission of the woman. I think that's what it was for him, which this sounds similar, Is that right?
Speaker 1: I'm looking for those specific kind of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why do you do that? If you need to dig a little deeper, I'll just read this real quick. Graham Platner had this is as of yesterday six days, so I guess it's five days now. He has five days to decide whether he should drop out. Here's how that would work main Democratic Senate candidate Graham Platner and oyster farmer. They're still using that on the Washington Post said money was taking time to reflect on the best path forward.
Speaker 3: They're still using oyster farmer on Wikipedia and some other pages. What I see one article that says is Grand Platner's main oyster farm totally fake fact checking attack on senate candidate.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, is there like they figured out that oyster farm. From what I heard, he has some sort of ownership and an oyster farm, but he was identifying himself as an oyster farmer by trade, as if that's where his money was coming from. And he gets like a pittance, like a tiny fraction of money from this oyster farm. So it's not really his job, even though he was shaping himself up that way. That's what I took from this. Platner can drop out any time before the November election, but Democrats under state law would only be able to put a replacement candidate on the ballot if he does so in the next week. So if they can, if they want to replace him with somebody else, then he has to drop out in the next week. I believe. Oh, here he is this is the guy himself talking about these most recent allegations.
Speaker 6: I wanted to directly address the troubling, serious and false allegations against me. Any accusation of non consensual behavior is categorically false. Over the last ten months, I have been deeply humbled by the faith maners have put in me. You have welcomed me into your homes and manes of work, into your restaurants, in your houses of worship. You have shown that a different runt of politics, one that puts the interests of people over corporations, is not just possible, but is inevitable. This movement, we have built the largest volunteer base in the history of main politics, hundreds of thousands of grassroots donors and the supporters across the ideological spectrum.
Speaker 1: I get to that accusation and.
Speaker 6: A love of Maine, a belief that our politics must change.
Speaker 2: Bro, this is a two minute video response you put out, and all of this so far was like, we are doing great, we are kicking ass. And this doesn't sound like a guy who's going to drop out, at least not yet.
Speaker 6: In a focus on defeating Susan Collins. So regardless of the inaccuracy, of the reporting when mindful of political reality, it will inflict. We are taking the time to reflect on the best path forward for the state that I love, the people that I love, the movement I belong to, and the goal of defeating Susan Collins. Those were the goals we launched this campaign, and they remain my goals today. On June ninth, one hundred and fifty four thousand and fifty eight Manors, the most in primary history, voted to reject a broken politics, beholden to Washington and the Donnor class. They voted for hope, for change, to take back our economy, to take back our.
Speaker 2: Are you dropping out back our Senate seat?
Speaker 6: Throughout it all, you never turned your back on me, and I will not turn my back on you now. Every one of you deserves to see that vision come to fruit.
Speaker 1: This sounds like you said, Susan.
Speaker 6: Collins defeated, and we will use every tool at our disposal to do so. As man goes, so goes the nation. As always, thank you.
Speaker 2: No, there he goes, so main goes.
Speaker 1: That is that a main thing?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know much about me, but that didn't sound like a guy who was going to be dropping out in an election here, And just to be clear, it seems that it's provable that this woman knew Grand Platner and had a connection with him. She would have had to five years ago, when nobody knew who the hell he was, pre planned telling friends and the therapists and boyfriends that this happened to her, with the sole idea that some days she would need to go back and utilize that information to get a guy whom she agrees with politically out of an election. That doesn't make any sense to me. I think there's probably something to what this woman is saying. Let's see, is there anything else we need to know about this that he's holding on as far as I can tell, And a lot of his accusers are kind of coming out and blaming the media, there's still people supporting him. Stephen King said, tell you what, if you knew the whole truth about everybody in the Senate. This is Stephen King, the writer of it and all that other stuff. If you knew what everybody in the Senate House of Representatives did, the whole truth about them, those chambers would be dead empty. Jesus said, let him without sin cast the first stone that's what he said. Then he had a follow up tweet saying that he still supported grand Platner, which I think he has deleted now because he's been getting some pushback on that. I also saw that yesterday talk about timing this company day book, who hires people for political jobs? Said Graham Platner for US Senate is immediately hiring a research director to develop a comprehensive research and vetting strategy and build comprehensive defensive strategies and rapid response toolkits. Salary range of seven thousand to eleven thousand dollars per month. Not bad, not half bad if you can get it. I'm pretty surprised that they're still hiring right now, but I guess that's what's happening. And here's a final clip on this. This is an update from the Main Democratic Party executive director about what's going to happen next.
Speaker 16: Hi, everyone, I wanted to provide you all and update on the US Senate race here in Maine. As you know, the Main Democratic Party has been working around the clock to develop a process to replace our US Senate nominee that is open, inclusive, transparent, and fair. The integrity of this process is just as important as the outcome, and we are committed to ensuring that Democrats across our state can have confidence in both. Unfortunately, Graham Plotner's team has repeatedly reached out to us in an attempt to put their thumb on the scale of what this process looks like. We have repeatedly reiterated too grand Plotner's team that they have no role in determining our next Democratic nominee for the US Senate really, nor in determining what this process looks like. We have also reiterated that grand Platner must drop out of this race so that Democrats in Maine can focus ondefeating Susan Collins this November.
Speaker 2: Right there, you go, that's the drama having around all that. I don't know if he's going to drop out or not. I don't know how, Like when they do the oppo research on candidates like this, I don't know how this person gets through. I don't know how this person squeezes through and becomes their Senate candidate. Like I know that they investigate people, I know that they do that kind of work, But this guy still made it this far along. It seems clear to me at the very least that he's an habitual liar, Like that's real obvious to me. And there's a lot of other questions too, But we'll see what happens next and keep an eye on this. Is that one's making some waves out there. Quick break. When we come back, we continue the Power Hour with your feedback. I'm gonna get to all your dispatches. We'll work those incas I've been bad about it. That's going to go center stage when we come back. It's coming up next in the news junk key. I know this is going to hit Joshua Marie Fowler oh very hard, very very hard, because we do not talk about this a lot on the show because it kind of it's a sensitive issue for him. But he is one of the biggest Katie Kurk fans that I have ever met. It's true in my entire life. Like he's so mad at that South Park episod.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, so pissed it.
Speaker 2: Thought it was rude that they would go after and compare sizes of excrement to Katie Kirk, which was rude. He was right about that, unreal, But I cannot believe this happened to your queen. This story is absolutely crazy. He didn't know this could happen. But Katie kirk is now revealing that she had a stroke and she had temporary amnesia, like she out of nowhere. She's sixty nine years old, Nice and she had Nice. No, that was somebody else. It wasn't me, it was true. Oh I was somebody else. It might have been Josh. I'm not sure. The sixty nine year old journalist Nice detailed the freaky episode in a July sixth post. So Katie Kuric says that she had some sort of stroke. Her husband starts asking her, hey, are you okay? Is everything fine? You've seen out of it? And they took her to a hospital and they said as a result of the stroke, she had temporary amnesia, and she couldn't remember her the name of the president, which if you can't remember the name of our current president, something has gone wrong.
Speaker 1: You can't get away.
Speaker 2: From his name. But she couldn't remember the date, She couldn't remember any of that. And then they said, no, it's not a stroke after all, you have something called temporary memory loss. And I have never heard of this before, Like you could just get hit with a wave of temporary memory loss. You know how useful that is in my life now moving forward with all the things that I forget or you know, Courdy yells at me for God knows what's going man, I'm just dealing with some temporary memory loss. Yeah, it's a little tml. I was just bam right out of nowhere. That's what happened to her, She says, the day I'll never remember. And she said, began like any other day. She walked to the farmer's market and asked him to pick up an iced coffee. I bought some beautiful peaches and nectaryans, and a big battle bag of kettle corn and a cute straw hat I really didn't need. I headed back and ate a bowl of cereal in one of the peaches, and I got dressed for an afternoon at the Aspen Ideas Festival, as we all do from time to time. She said, I decided to wear a white linen suit and navy white sleeveless shirt, my new hat, blah blah blah. And she said that's the last thing I remember. Then her husband says, are you okay? What's going on? She says, I have no idea what we talked about or what occurred when the panels ended that we were on and her husband said, you seem out of it. She didn't know what the date was. She thought it was twenty twenty four, so she thought they were back in twenty twenty four. She thought Joe Biden was the president and they had to informer of all of this stuff. As the hospital staff initiated.
Speaker 1: Stop that must have been.
Speaker 2: There was opportunity there to put all sorts of things in her head if you wanted to. But she reintroduced herself to the nurses every time they came into the room, she said, And they ruled out a stroke, but it was transient global amnesia. Yeah, I've just never made They ruled out a stroke. Yeah, they ruled out a stroke, so they thought it was a stroke. That's why she goes to the hospital. Then they thought she was losing her memory because the doctor said, no, there's no stroke. MRI shows no stroke, but you had transient global amnesia. Whatever the hell? That is a sudden complete inability to retain new information, lasting for several hours in a middle aged or older person with preservation of alert and all other cognitive function.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just very bizarre. I've never heard of that before. But Katie Kirk thought it was twenty twenty four. She thought Biden was still the president. She didn't know what the hell was going on. I can't imagine how scary that would be, much less for Josh. It was just like such a massive fan, just so worried about her. Yeah, I'm sorry that that happened. That's that's a lot for you to deal with.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get through it.
Speaker 2: I think a couple people emailing, let's get to you. There's Hoover with an email to tips at the news Junkie dot com because I promise some of your feedback. Most of these countries in the World Cup are only relevant for kicking a ball in a net every four years. But it's just not true. What country is only famous for soccer? Is there even one? Like? What are you gonna say, like Switzerland was playing last night? I Switzerland's more famous for other things than their soccer team. Those army knives, cut clocks. Jeez, they cut cheese. They have army knives, sir. I'm building a case against you here. All of these things are more famous than their soccer team. But there are some teams like that pop out I go. I'm not really familiar with that country. There's been a couple of those, but mostly I know who they are. Here is let's the ed says, those Weimos are snitch cars. So what if somebody and their wife decides to go for a ride and decide to do something exciting in the backseat of a Weimo. Will the Weimo or the operators call the cops? That's the million dollar question. I'm not sure. I don't know what they would do. We have a million dollar question for people who want to do that for him apparently, Yeah, Space Coast native email tips in the news junki dot com. I have a twenty twenty five Civic Sport hybrid and one time I was driving down the Interstate with cruise control on and I was looking at the passenger seat for a couple of seconds, and my car beeped at me. When I didn't look up, it applied the brakes and started turning my car to the shoulder until I looked straight ahead and tugged on the wheel. He said a lot of people emailed about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said a lot of those things about Tesla is like, you know, pulling over to the side. If you're not doing your responses, or if it thinks you're maybe fell asleep or something like that, it will try. It will pull over the side, turn the hazard lights on, and unlock the doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I find that to be also dangerous, but I guess it's got enough cameras that it can safely pull over. And they have to actually kind.
Speaker 3: Of safe, like if you had a stroke in your car or something like that, if you had a medical episode the global amnesia, if you had temporary global amnesia and you thought Joe Biden was president, it might go, hey, hey, hey, first of all, you might need to pull over.
Speaker 1: For this news you.
Speaker 2: First of all, I need to know your political affiliation so that way I could tamp down the information. Jane says, my vehicle is a dash cam, like you mentioned. I have no trouble with sunglasses. But if I scratch my nose or maybe raise my arm to stretch on the headrest, it nags me to look forward. It can't pull me over if it catches me not looking, though I'm not. It's not really accurate technology, but it's close, says Jane. Thank you for that, and that'll do it for right now, and that's how I work in a dispatcher two and see what you have on your mind with your dispatches sent over at the Newsjunkie dot com. Here is new dukeom talking about veterans.
Speaker 15: Hey, hey, I kind of got to disagree with you, Sean. Any veteran that has seen combat is disabled, whether they want to admit it or not, they are and they deserve to be paid. Simple as that.
Speaker 1: Prove me wrong, prove you wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, what is disabled mean to you? Any every veteran is disabled? Are we're talking about? Well? I mean I disagree with that too. I don't think every combat veteran is disabled. I think disabled is a word with a meaning. Let's let's start there. Disabled definition. Okay, Now, you might say disabled can mean physical or mental. But I've met people who are veterans who have no mental disabilities, no PTSD, no physical disability. Are they still disabled? Because disable? You say so, physical or mental impairment. In medical or personal context, disabled means to severely injure, incapacitate, or restrict somebody's ability to use their body or senses. So you think that fits the definition for every single veteran?
Speaker 3: I mean in this case, we're talking about Graham Platner, who is forty one and uh somewhat has some stake in an oyster farm, has at least been oyster farming once, yes, and it says the business he has doesn't make as much money. His mother's restaurant is his biggest customer. He supplements his income with benefits he earns as a one hundred percent disabled veteran.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how that works. I'm not going to speak on that. I don't know if, like, is it common that you're you're just automatically one hundred percent disabled according to the military, or do they go, okay, you're seventy two percent or fifty percent or I don't I don't know how that works. I don't know how they how they categorize that, and if you're just one hundred or zero or fifty, or if any random number is possible. If you know more about that sentence a dispatch, for sure, here's concrete. Michael wants to talk about that building in New York City. Let's hear that.
Speaker 8: What's going on news junkie cruise concrete Mike, hey man, it's hotter in Satan's butthole.
Speaker 1: Out here today.
Speaker 8: Okay, the structural building in New York the failures. You can't just add sixteen stories onto a building. The beams below weren't designed. The concrete below, all the support, all the reinforcement wasn't designed that can handle another sixteen stories.
Speaker 1: Why this is what does happened?
Speaker 8: Either that or they got bad concrete that could happen too.
Speaker 3: Thank you concrete, because they go with them non union jobs.
Speaker 2: You know, it's more about this than I ever will. So I'll take his word for it. Thank you for that dispatch. Here's what we're going to do. We'll get back. I'll play that blooper from the President on the way out. We'll do the final dispatches stories that didn't make the cut in todaylor to wrap everything up for a Wednesday that is coming up next on the news junk Keye. So first things first, I teased this blooper a while ago. Let's work in that Trump blooper that I was talking about. Let me see if I can find it very quickly. Here it is right here. This is Trump talking about what's happening and Ron.
Speaker 6: Which is one of the most beautiful in the world. That's one of the biggest e Ebraham Lincoln. Two months ago, we had a hundred I told the story liestenda, we had one hundred and eleven missile shot by the Islamic Republic of Japan.
Speaker 1: It's just for the record, that's not right.
Speaker 2: There is no Islamic Republic of Japan. Now, quickly, Josh, you said there was a dispatch from somebody who was at one of those gas stations. Yes, oh, it was it video, I believe, so magnets. Why the two languages. Shoot, I hope I didn't miss it entirely. The NYC building. Yeah, I see. I don't see any video dispatches from that. I do see a bunch of video dispatches, but I don't see them talking about that particular thing. All right, Shoot, we're gonna have to get out of here. If there, if I find it, I'll play it tomorrow. But right now, let's do today. I learned the.
Speaker 15: Following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your.
Speaker 2: IQ, So don't get cocky.
Speaker 4: It's done what we came today.
Speaker 2: It is Taylor for a Wednesday, July eight, twenty twenty six. Tailor in this guy right here, the last ride Michael Jackson admired Emina as an artist, but he said he was disappointed when the rapper made fun of him and just lose it. And he said, I, as Michael Jackson, have never attacked the fellow artists. Great artists don't do that. He turned a corner that day with em and m thank you so much for hanging with us.
Speaker 1: We do appreciated he doesn't have to cuss in his comedy.
Speaker 2: True, Yeah, thank you so much. Hangon, I was moping back tomorrow the same time, same place.
Speaker 1: Missing in the show.
Speaker 2: Get the podcasts at Theewsjokie dot com.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time. Everybody is