Speaker 1: All right, Mojoe.
Speaker 2: In the morning, Cavin's son was invited to a bar mitzvah, and Kevin has zero idea what to do for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even down to the fact that it's a bar mitzvah and not a bot mitzvah. I didn't even know it was two separate things.
Speaker 1: You didn't know the names were different.
Speaker 3: I didn't know I suck the same thing. To be honest with you, I didn't even know. So it's a coming of age celebration, right. Is it the same for a girl? Is it the same thirteen years old? Or is it different becoming? They're becoming I guess an adult? Yes, okay, so the girls same thing thirteen years old?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Would you like me to put on my yama cu for this one?
Speaker 5: I got it, guys, I got.
Speaker 1: It on right now exactly.
Speaker 2: I stole it from a funeral for a friend of mine off the dig.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, friend of mine's dad passed.
Speaker 2: I went over to to the funeral and I you have to.
Speaker 6: Like that.
Speaker 1: No, it's interesting. I have a totally different note.
Speaker 2: My best buddy in the world, Jeff saquat off, when he lost his parents. I walked into the funeral there, which is it's always at the same place. It's right off of the lodge there that place, and I did not know the funeral parlor place, and I did not know if I was supposed to wear one or not. And then when Leslie is Ishbia died, our former business manager here at the radio station, I put one on my head and I was told by I think it might have been Jeff Luckoff, I did not need to wear it.
Speaker 3: He's like, you don't need to wear the thing. It does just I need to wear one to the Barbays food. Well, let's ask my friend Jeff Saqua. He's on the phone with hold on, Jeff, Hi, Hi, how you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm not Jeff Walkoff though, No.
Speaker 2: You're the You're the official, Jeff, Jeff Saqua. Jeff's been a little under the weather's.
Speaker 4: I'm good now, I'm good now, I'm under.
Speaker 6: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Jeff is is hanging out not in Israel right now, but in close to it, Palm Beach, Florida, Israel, America.
Speaker 4: Jeff, can I know that would be that would be Boca.
Speaker 2: But go ahead, quick question for you, Jeff, can you answer as the official Jewish correspondent for the Mojo on the Morning show.
Speaker 1: Can you answer Kevin's bar mitzvah questions?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: So just just.
Speaker 3: Give me a lay of the land to catch you up to speed. Not sure how much you know. Josiah got invited to a bar mitzvah and I've never been invited to one.
Speaker 1: I've never been to one. I don't know what.
Speaker 6: It's just still it sounds like you still haven't been invited, keeping.
Speaker 4: You know what? You know?
Speaker 1: As interesting is I have it?
Speaker 3: Because on the rs VP, after the mom told me I needed to do that, I'll put two guests. And she responded and said, this is actually like a kid's only thing. We don't have enough room for people to If you want to stand up and come, that's welcomed also, But is it different or is it the same just like you go to any regular thirteen year old birthday party?
Speaker 1: Or do I need to do something or expect something different from justin.
Speaker 6: So the difference between a bar and about mess. They have to check between the legs. A bar miss was a boy and a bot mist was a girl, They're the same thing. In the older days, women did not have the botan mitzvahs. It kind of like progressed where like, hey, we want botmisters too, and the girls would have sweet sixteens instead of the bout mesphahs. So a lot of religions are sort of chauvinistic if you study them. Right, there was no female rabbis. Now they have female rabbis, correct, are you not aware of that? I don't know if they ever have female priests at some of these churches. And that's where I don't know things. So essentially, a lot of languages, Spanish, et cetera, they have different you know, female and male for the same word, right, different us for.
Speaker 4: The same words. So Jeff bought bought as a female bars a boy.
Speaker 2: Okay, he got that part. So Jeff, this is the part that that's interesting for him. He does not know what happens at these things. And I think you're worried. That's the reason why you put yourself in the r VP. Was you wanted to make sure you were there for jes You want to make sure I show up. I have no idea what this is.
Speaker 1: Do you bring like a gift? Like what's like do you just bring a gift card?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: What do you what do you do there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So well that's essentially up to you. But generally speaking, people bring gifts. If you're invited, it would say your name on the invitation, not just Josiah. When my kids had their events, a lot of parents showed up that weren't invited, okay because they didn't know. Of course, of course I said them, and they wouldn't leave. But and it's it's a America has made it a very big deal. It's supposed to be a more religious thing. But I think if you talk to a kid, you're supposed to continue your studies in the Jewish religion. Most kids quit after their bar messva.
Speaker 5: I mean some parents drop money on these parties, like these parties over the.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's become some of the one up thing and depends how you want to handle it. And what I can't get over people that borrow money or get bank loans they have a party is the most ridiculous thing in the world.
Speaker 4: And this is the essence of what it's all about. So you would go to the service. You're allowed to go with the service.
Speaker 6: And like when when Mojo said he came to my in my my parents' funerals, you know you don't have to if you're not Jewish, you don't need to wear it.
Speaker 4: And I went to my first church. I didn't know what to do. I took communion and I called my father, what did you do? I've never been I was an adult. I went to church the first time.
Speaker 1: Thought it was kind of fun, you know. But Joe sia, it doesn't have to go to the service, right, just a party.
Speaker 6: Doesn't have to go to service. I got to look bring me going to a different side of my rolegion. I find it to be very interesting. Yeah, and then when you go the third fourth time, I think they're all boring.
Speaker 4: I hate to say it, but you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff you you First off, I think keV was freaking out when I told him. Joe went to Abbott Middle School in West Bloomfield.
Speaker 1: A lot of Joams. I think he went to one year.
Speaker 2: It was like forty five bar Mitzvah's or something like that, or and Bob Minzfeest and Jeff's. The one for Ian was the best bar Mitzvah though that uh that Joe went to what was it like? Well back when the Pistols played at the Palace. It was at the Palace of Auburn h at the palace.
Speaker 4: I try to keep to twenty two thousand people had cut and.
Speaker 1: He had Mason do the intro.
Speaker 4: You are no.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See this this was that MTV show Sweet sixteen was all about moments like.
Speaker 6: I tried to use my brain and get as much done for and uh, Mojo was kind enough to when back in the day when you guys played music and celebrities or people coming to break their new album whatever, we got a lot of sniffs to put into a video.
Speaker 4: And do you remember what Miley Cyrus did?
Speaker 1: Well we will explain that again.
Speaker 4: Miley, Miley Cyrus. She said, you know what did you say? Like masletop, I go what she goes? What did you say? What did you say? And on your so you know what the.
Speaker 6: Black Eyed Tea song and then she said, did the f bomb a lot?
Speaker 4: Happy birthday? Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: I did you keep it?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He loved it all right, So hold on, wow, we all got the We got the flem coming right now.
Speaker 4: Hold on.
Speaker 2: Alex wants to comment on this one. Alex kavs Son is invited to a bar Mitz find. He's looking for advice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So when I went to my cousin to bar Mitzvah. This was a while ago now, but I was told to bring to give cash, that that was the most common, and to give it an increments of thirteen. So I don't know if that is still a thing, but cash was I think very much appreciated. And the increments of thirteen I think is just because it's a thirteenth Bristate party.
Speaker 6: But I'd have to check it more more more eighteen because a five is eighteen and it means good luck.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I remember eighteen. Yes, Angela, what's up? Angela? Hi, good morning morning.
Speaker 9: So since my family moved here in twenty fourteen, we've been invited to quite a few and just recently this year. So jed Saiah have to dress to impress unless there is a theme, and if you bring less than a hundred dollars in that cards, you're going to look like a cheap bulfo. I'm gonna be honest, No, it's just like a wedding. They pay out so much money. You're going to give amount of money. It's what you would think that they spent on you to be there. And double check to see if he's if he was invited to the ceremony or not because not all the kids are invited.
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember this.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 6: Okay is the official Rabbi of the Mojo in the morning show. You you're always invited to the service, Yes, and it would be odd if you weren't. And number two, whatever you give is fine. There's really no pressure and kids aren't expected. No family, friends and relatives.
Speaker 4: Always screw you. That's neither here nor there. I knew I should have invited that guy anyway.
Speaker 6: So you you if someone's close, you give more. It's like a wedding if you're you know, distant. We've all been invited to How the hell did I get invited? But it's more of he's celebrating with his classmates And I'm I'm positive the family or the young man is not going.
Speaker 4: To care what you give him. So what wouldn't worry about what's going on?
Speaker 6: Remember a good old thought accounts that's still involved.
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 1: So Ellie, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Jewish.
Speaker 7: I am, I am, my name is Ilanit, I'm from Israel and I am also Jewish. I live in America right now.
Speaker 4: Jewish, yes, And I want.
Speaker 7: To tell you that bou meet vine. Israel is so different. You do bring cash, you do bring money, but in America it's different. You could bring anything and it will be wonderful. And the and the most Jewish rabbi is right. It is eighteen dollars. It's in It's basically the symbol of life. It's like the letters in Hebrew symbolizes like life. So therefore life in mathematically it's eighteen. And the other thing is very important. I feel it depends again if it's Orthodox Jewish or if it's Reformed Jewish. Let me tell you the difference. If you go to a bar mitzva that is Orthodox. For instance, I'm Jewish Orthodox. So you go, you go for the mitzvah for the good geeds, So you bring whatever, and and it's very important. A greeting card that says Mazaltov, Mazotov, and and just you know, go to CVS. They have plenty of them, and then bring the gifts inside. Now the other thing, yeah, Mazotov card. And of course you can bring a gift card or cash, yes, and then you can and then you can bring If it's a Jewish Orthodox, then you of course are going to services. It's called you're going to hear the Barmesva boy giving a sermon.
Speaker 2: I'm amazed any kids who I always looked at that were friends of Joe and Jacob's when they went to these things, and I thought these boys were dumb mother efforts, and these kids memorized so much. I'm like, these kids are smart kids. I couldn't believe it. Man, they were amazing. It's I couldn't do it. I couldn't be Jewish because I would I could never memorize all that stuff. I've made my first communion, my confirmation. Literally, I was as dumb as rocks. Ellie. Can I ask a question of you? Of course, it's the question that Rabbi Jeff Sakwell would like to ask you.
Speaker 1: Are you single? No, I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding, Jeff, as every woman, Are you single? Ellie? We got money in the family. What does broksh mean?
Speaker 7: Means blessed and means God, blessed be God.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Ellie for the call. We appreciate. Kelly wants to comment. Would you want to say, Kelly.
Speaker 9: This actually sounds just like in the Mexican culture, like what it seemes to me is party.
Speaker 8: It's it's literally like for the kids.
Speaker 6: To have fun.
Speaker 9: And it just seems like Josiah just is going to be something definitely different and it's going to be really eye opening, I think, and I think he's going to have a really great time. Like it really sounds just in our culture like a cantina, Like he's there becoming a young person like a young woman or a young man and.
Speaker 4: They have a huge event.
Speaker 6: I mean just like they said, it costs just like it with a wedding, Like.
Speaker 1: So yeah, can I tell you?
Speaker 2: After Joe went to uh Ian's bar Mitzvah, Jeff's son, and then Jordan Letterman's one over Lifetime Fitness, Joe wanted to convert to judaism Man.
Speaker 1: He was like, I want to have some fun. Hold on, Raphael wants to give you a comment, keV.
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 1: Raphael?
Speaker 4: Hey? keV? To the to the crowber's man, get you that good old fresh bag and great?
Speaker 1: Okay, hey job?
Speaker 2: How would how would the family look at him if he brought eighteen grapes?
Speaker 4: Would be great?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: He asked you, where's the party at?
Speaker 1: keV uh and a country club?
Speaker 4: Okay, oh okay? A lot of the temple's country clause, et cetera.
Speaker 6: Not unusual. But he'll have a great time. And it's he should go the service because the young man is going to read out of the Torah and that's what he's and that's what it's all about.
Speaker 1: How long ares.
Speaker 6: Depends if your reform, like I have reform which I call Jewish light or to be there for hours versus Yeah, and the kids all sit in the section and you have like the uh you know, the parent kids will start talking and you'll get the dirty look, you know, just like school.
Speaker 1: If you don't get invited to the sermon part, does that mean something?
Speaker 4: No, No, you're you're the whole service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm about to check the.
Speaker 6: Reform with like there's reform conservative and Orthodox and their there.
Speaker 4: If it's reformed, it will be short. If it's the other two come a little late.
Speaker 2: Okay, Amanda, last comment here on Kevin uh and this son with the Mizpah.
Speaker 7: I honestly have I think you could wing it.
Speaker 4: You just got to remember not to be quoting Kanye.
Speaker 3: We apologize, all right, Thank you, Thank you, Jeffrey to.
Speaker 4: Love you guys.
Speaker 3: You b