Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard to believe it was six years ago that the Dodgers made a trade with the Marlins sent Dylan Floro to Miami for some left handed pitcher that nobody in LA had heard from. And here he is now a two time World Series champion. He just made his three hundredth appearance with the Dodgers and celebrated a very happy birthday with his first save of the season. And that's LA's favorite left handed reliever, Alex Vesia. Thanks a lot for the time. And man, it feels like yesterday.
Speaker 3: What an intro?
Speaker 1: I mean, wow, thanks, that's pretty good. I had to remind everybody off the top off the top of your head right there, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, people think you're this guy out of nowhere, but it's been a non linear road to be the established guy and leader in that bullpen. Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's never a straight line, right, There's peaks and valleys, ups and downs, adversity, you know, but that's what the game is. The game, right, Baseball is very hard. It's never been easy, never never come easy to me.
Speaker 3: But I trust my routine.
Speaker 1: I trust the great coaching staff around me. I trust the veterans that I've been around the last six years to you know, kind of lead me the way, and you know, I have them to thank.
Speaker 2: Everybody always wants to know what's the special magic the Dodgers have, especially when it comes to bringing out the best in relief pictures? Can you describe why it's better here than it may be going to another team and trying to duplicate what the Dodgers do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: The communication right is definitely a priority.
Speaker 3: It's number one.
Speaker 1: I remember getting over here in twenty one and there was a book all about me, my strengths, weaknesses where I could get better at, you know, and they the dots are really good at finding what your strengths are, making those strengths even better, you gaining confidence in those strengths. Right, and then it's digging a little bit deeper to okay, where where I can we make you better?
Speaker 3: Where? What are your weaknesses? You know? Because when I when I first came up, I pretty much.
Speaker 1: Only threw a fastball, right, and then twenty one and kind of in twenty two is you know, very.
Speaker 3: Very heavy fastball usage.
Speaker 1: And then over the course of twenty one and twenty two and twenty three, you know, we incorporated the slider and that opened up a lot more room for my fastball, so you know, uh, game planning for a hitter, you could you know, I had to look at and take into consideration a slider. So you know, from top to bottom, you know, I definitely I love this organization.
Speaker 3: They've been great to me.
Speaker 1: You know, and I feel like, day in and day out, I never.
Speaker 3: Take that for granted.
Speaker 1: I work really hard, and you know, I believe in myself and you know when Doc puts me in positions for success, and you know, I believe in that. And you know that's where you see the confidence out on the mound, and you know it's It's never an overnight success. Man. There's been a lot of doubt, a lot of failure. But that's also made me who I am.
Speaker 2: Alex Vessia is our guest. You know, Radar guns and Velocity is throwing our face a lot with different pictures. I mean, everybody's talking about Edwin Diaz is VLO. But it's April. You guys just started the season. What is what should be expected from pictures relief pictures in the first couple of weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: When we see things like that. Yeah, I think that every year is always different. I'm I'm I would say, predominantly a slower starter, right, Yet I don't. I don't throw very hard. I'm not a you know, I don't blow up the radar gun by by no means right. But I also I also think the way I throw, how I throw the vert and the metrics on my fastball is what makes me unique. You know. I've feel like I've thrown a fastball at eighty eight this year and I've thrown a fastball at ninety three this year. It's just, you know, for myself, I just try to go out and compete with the best stuff that.
Speaker 3: I have for that day and know that it is early. You know.
Speaker 1: What people don't understand is going on road trips where we fly to d C and there's time changes in Toronto and all that stuff affects the body differently and guys bounce back differently.
Speaker 3: It's it's never the same, you know.
Speaker 1: I wish it was super dry and simple, but it's not, you know, and you know, we we do our best day.
Speaker 3: In and day out.
Speaker 1: And you know, Diaz is a is a veteran, He's done it for many years, and you know, there's not a single doubt in any of our minds that when he goes back out there, whether it's tonight or tomorrow, that he'll be him.
Speaker 2: Is there such a thing still in baseball of dead arm? I used to hear dead arm a lot.
Speaker 3: So there. I've heard that term this year one time. I think it with an Angels Angels picture.
Speaker 1: I don't really know. I've never I don't know if I've really ever witnessed that. I know that, you know, there's like body fatigue and arm fatigue, and I understand that, but I don't know really what like dead arm symptoms would be.
Speaker 3: I know what what having a very fatigued body feels like, you know, and.
Speaker 1: A couple of red bulls and and some adrenaline from fifty thousand a daughter stadium.
Speaker 3: That that seems to do the trick.
Speaker 2: Hey, speaking of that, when you first started, you heard the roars for Kennley Jansen when he would come in, But now the roars are equal for alex Vesia. What does that mean to you? With everything that's happened in the last six months to get fans on their feet every night here when you come in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I feel it, I hear it, I see it.
Speaker 1: You know when we're in the bullpen, there's a lot of people have you know, said their condolences and you know, saying that they're rooting for me, and you know that that's really nice. It's and honestly, it is a it's a breath of fresh air. And you know, there's a lot of love that that's been been spread around the last you know, a few months. And you know, for myself, I just try to, you know, have that fuel the fire and you know, really really really you know, let it, let it show out on the mound and you know, do my best and you know, to to put up zeros and and get the guys back in the dugout so they can hit. You know, we can win some ball games, and you know, it's just it's really.
Speaker 3: Nice to be back. Excuse me, it's nice to.
Speaker 1: Be back out on the baseball field.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On obviously with everything, it's it's been tough, but having a goal and having you know that the every single player on this team man has meant the world to me. Because it's nice for them to joke around and laugh and you know, we have such good personalities on this team that like, that's that's helped out a lot.
Speaker 2: How great was it to be back on the plane with the boys on that first road trip?
Speaker 3: That was awesome. Yeah, that was cool man.
Speaker 1: We we definitely had a good time. And you know, those are those are the memories that you know, I definitely don't.
Speaker 3: Take for granted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I really looking forward to that and just it's it's fun to kind of just be yourself and just enjoy those moments.
Speaker 3: And you know, at the same.
Speaker 1: Time, you know, when you go into a game and everyone's rooting for you and you have success, it just makes that that much better.
Speaker 2: All right, before I let you go? The beard, Yeah, this is a little more fluffyer than the last time we saw you. But I like it.
Speaker 3: It's growing. I I've got a couple people ask me what product of how I made it?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's I think it's gonna stay for a little while.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: You have to like it. Who cares what I like?
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, it's it's Kayla's approval. She's she hasn't told me to shave it yet. So we're gonna keep it rolling. And but yeah, it's been it's been fun. It is.
Speaker 1: It's getting a little long to like in the morning, it's all over the place, so I gotta, you know, come in and put some water in it. So yeah, you know, it's a a.
Speaker 3: A new look. Well we'll rock it for a little while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it fits the music that you come into. Okay, Yeah, their whole energy does all right. Hey, I'll embrace it. Hey, we embrace Alex Vesia. LA's got their arms around you and Kayla and man, it's so great to have you back and doing your thing. And don't take for granted what it was in the beginning and what it is now.
Speaker 3: Yeh, I appreciate it. Thank you Dave for you know, always always being there here the man always will be.
Speaker 2: Just ask Cory Seger and Jock Peterson. They couldn't get rid of me.
Speaker 3: There we go, wherever you go.
Speaker 2: Vessia, I'll be there.
Speaker 3: I like that like that.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Have a good day.