Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty I AM six forty bill handle here Monday morning, October twenty seven, just being announced that the US and China have come to an agreement. Looks like the one hundred percent tariff increase in China that was supposed to start November one is off the table. China is going to resume buying soybeans from the United States. The rare earth minerals that China has said is going to stop sending the United States, that is resuming. So it looks like they're coming to some kind of an agreement China in the US. So that's good news on that side for sure. Where the president is in it's in Japan, I think right now, and he's going to be meet with Xang Xing Ping g Jing Penn Ping pings around. It's yeah, President j Ping, the old Pinster, that's what they call him, the the ping Master, that's what they call him. Hey, the pinkster doing Yeah, yeah, it's the ping Moister. Yes, that's what he's known in China with for all right, God damn, I'm good. All right, it's flowing. People go, how do you keep a job. I have no idea. I agree with you completely. Okay. I got some emails. I received some emails regarding the demolition of the East Wing because, as I said last week, man, it's heartbreaking, you know, I look at the White House and it's being completely changed the profile of the White House instead of what I thought, and a lot of people did this symmetrical building that we know of. What the President did is take out the east wing completely. He originally said the East Wing was not going to be touched at all. It was going to be this ballroom adjacent to but not actually touching the East Wing. And the next thing we know, it's demolished without telling us, without saying anything, it's just, hey, I'm demolishing it. And so as I was complaining about it, because I do think it's our iconic building, the President's house, that sort of my opinion arbitrarily taken down. Of course, I got emails. So look what Truman did, Look what Obama did, Look what Teddy Roosevelt did, all of which is true. But I thought i'd go back with a little bit of history going starting in nineteen to Teddy Roosevelt remade the White House and it was additions to when they started. And I don't know how many years back, the White House was just the White House itself, without the East or the West wing, and then prior to nineteen oh two, presidents would work from different spaces. The Oval Office didn't exist. There was no designated spot, and Roosevelt wanted a central office, so he built the first presidential office right there, and the West Wing came into existence. In nineteen thirty three. President Franklin Roosevelt added twenty five thousand feet of permanent office space to the West Wing, and there was a penthouse story. A second story was put on, and there was a subterranean office also put on, and the Oval Office was relocated to the West Wing where we now know that it is now a couple of big ones. And this is where I was written to look what Truman did. Truman reconstructed the White House. Well, he did because the White House was falling apart. The inspectors that came in, the folks that looked at the very construction of that White House of the White House, the supports were saying, this thing was falling apart. They had no idea how it was even standing. The Trumans were in the residents and the floor above that, the piano came through, the piano leg came through the ceiling, and they gutted the White House, not changing the view of the White House, just refurbishing the whole White House. So whatever changes were put in, by the way, it all went through the various committees, the National Historic White House Association, asking Congress. I mean, they went through a long, long period of basically looking at it. You know, there were commissions that were involved. Truman was very very careful about doing this. There was nothing fast about. And then Obama that's the big one. Well, Obama's been three hundre million dollars on refurbishing or what he did to the White House. Look at the White House before and after Obama and tell me what the changes are. It was all structural changes. It was refitting the pipe, it was new electrical, it was new alarm systems. That's where the money was spent. Well, oh wait a gonut it Okay. So the tennis court, he added a basketball court, he put up some baskets at the end, did not change the look of it. So as you say, look at what Obama did, look at what Truman did versus look at what's happening now. The White House will not look the same. Ever, again, what we know is the White House has been changed completely. We now have a building with the East Wing of the White House is now bigger than the White House itself, all because arbitrary the President wakes up and he goes, this is what I want. This is what we're going to do. And I tell you have lived through looking at the White House as our iconic building, is probably the most famous building in the world. And now it's going to be that big, beautiful white what ballroom that'll fit nine hundred people. By the way, that's not to say that there wasn't an issue, because the biggest state room in the White House itself holds two hundred people, and to have a state dinner with only two hundred people, that's a low number. To have a state dinner with almost one thousand people, that probably makes more sense. But could have been built in another place, could have been built that it have to be built right next to the East Wing, which completely destroyed the look of the White House as we know it. And of course Mike Johnson when asked about it, he said, it's going to be glorious. That's the word he used, glorious. And as I said earlier this morning when I opened the show, if Donald Trump took a dump on the lawn of the White House, that would be glorious, just glorious. Yeah, that's a heartbreaker. It is for me, It really is. It is. I mean, I grew up with a White House looking the way it is my entire life. And maybe there's certain things that I just don't want to change. I'm old school and I'm fine with change. By the way, I have no problem with change on this one, not so much, okay. Now, the world's most popular chat box chat GPD Jack cheap Chat GPT just launched a web browser this week and it promises to make surfing the Internet smarter. And it's called Atlas, and at once permission to watch and remember everything you do online. It outsurveils Google's Chrome. By the way, that's saying a lot. It doesn't just log which websites you visit. Here's where it goes beyond that. It's the word memories of what you look at and what you do on those sites. It actually can grab control of your mouse and browse for you. I mean, God forbid. All right, Now, there is a huge amount at steak when which browser you choose because it's your daily portal to the Internet, and who doesn't use the Internet and a spigotive information companies can use to target you with ads, steer you towards certain sites, and train AI on your behaviors and interests. So it actually gets to know you better than you know you and its minority report is what this is. There's the search engineer Perplexity makes a browser called Comment. Google has Gemini added Gemini bought to Chrome, and it also adds capabilities that lets AI do tasks for you. What does that actually do well? It replaces Google with chat gp is the main source to find websites and information and I use I don't even know what I use Safari and I don't know who owns Safari and what goes? Okay, that's what I use. But here's it. For instance, you asked it to summarize an article or analyze data. Okay, that makes sense. And it puts chat GPT one click away for for example, revising email drafts. Okay, that makes it easier because chat GPT just makes work much easier. Now, behind the scenes, it's also working to learn about you, not about making a speech better or rewriting a resume. Nope. If you grant permission during setup, and that's easy to do, it builds a trove of memories about the sites you visit and surfaces them when you need them. It's just a very very sophisticated way of knowing who we are and who you are. I go to Costco and they know I buy frozen burritos. Okay, Now it knows when I really need them, what my feelings are about burritos. It knows what my life is visa VI burritos. I think we all kind of do. Yeah, I know, well, I'm pretty open about it. But there are things that are not optically open about, for example, opening up a website talking about the pimples on my scroat. All right, it's not something I want to share with everybody. But if I just even open that asking the question, all of a sudden, it knows what I'm interested in. It knows I have a problem and it's going to throw me. Here's some scrote pimple cream. Now I have someone here who is just groaning. Lindsey's in the room.
Speaker 2: She's not the only one growing one, and my vote, it's probably an ingrown hair.
Speaker 1: So yeah, thank you, thank you for that. And by the way, they'll the chat GPT will know that it's your view of it. So it remembers not just the website addresses, but facts and insights from the sites themselves based on summaries of the content that open AI makes. Bottom line is it's diving much much deeper into what you are thinking, what you are visiting, and gets an impression not just specifically as to that site, knowing that I'm looking for frozen burritos, but actually figures out why I'm looking for frozen burritos. Now, obviously that is a horrible analogy because I can't go beyond making horrible analogies. But I'm imagine where this is going. It is Minority Report. It really is that film where they know before you think it, what you're going to think about. Now, is it going to go that far? Probably not, But I'll tell you, these programs are going to know which way you're leaning, what you might be doing, what you will never do. That's pretty frightening stuff to say the least. You know, it remembers everything you looked at it also remembers things you don't want it to look at, relationship troubles or a medical condition that you were just looking at at two am in the morning. Now, I don't know if you're frightened of that of the com Usually I'm not frightened of technology. I'm really not. I'm fine with license plate readers, and I'm fine with cameras in open places, helicopters, drones out there with cameras in public. But man, this one goes a little bit further than I'm comfortable with. All right, now, AI, we've heard a lot about AI. We live with AI. We're looking at a future with AI. And you may not be hired though, or you may be fired, or you may be asked to do a whole lot more work or maybe not, depending on how AI is utilized by your company. Well, it turns out the companies are increasingly aiming to maintain or reduce workforce size, anticipating that AI is going to automate tasks it will boost productivity. Should for example, let me give you an example, into its revenue row sixteen percent in the last fiscal year, no additional employees, sixteen percent up. You think a lot more employees not a chance, and they're thinking staffing and not replacing departing employees attrition, and we've seen that happen here at iHeart. I don't even know if iHeart uses AI at all. I do know that a lot of people are gone and a lot of people are not being hired. And I don't know how much AI is part of it. Maybe it's because iHeart just hates people, even though we're in the people business. You know. I've got to ask management about that, but they won't talk to me because they said they hate me. Some companies are cutting jobs target eight percent they've cut using AI. And here is the gamble. It's a corporate gamble. Can you run a company? Can you increase sales? Can you juice profits without adding people? And companies are making that calculation, saying, let's see if we can keep the size of our employees flat or not the size of the employees wait wise, but the number of employees flat. I want to make sure you get that, or maybe even shrink through layoffs without harming the business. And seems to me one of the things about the philosophy the last few years is more for fewer people. I don't know if you've noticed. But every time and here it's all over the place. They let someone go and do not replace that someone, simply asking the existing someone's to take up the slack, and all of a sudden there's more to do and you're asked to do more, perform better for the same money. Usually part of the thinking is that AI can be used to pick up some of the slack, maybe automate more processes, and companies are hesitant because are we going to hire people? Well, we don't know what's happening with the economy, we don't know what's happening with the administration and which way it's going to go. JP Morgan Chase chief financial officers said, the bank at this moment has a very strong bias against having the response to hire more people. They just don't want to do it. Golden Sachs send a memo to staffers that the firm will I love this constrain headcount growth through the end of the year. That means no more people are going to be hired and it's going to reduce the role that AI is going to be able to function in. Walmart plans on keeping the head count roughly flat over the next three years. Now, even with just inflation in terms of growth, that's ten percent, and no new people are going to be hired. So there is this new model, ultra lean model of staffing. More roles are kept unfilled and hiring is now as a last resort. Used to be as business came in, you'd hire more people. It was real easy. I have friends of mine who have law firms, and as more business comes in, of course they hire more lawyers. Well, if you look at it, first year second year lawyers really aren't needed that much. First and second year lawyers do research, they produce memos, they create well, they do deposition questions, they do interrogatories, these questions asked the other side. An AI probe can do that and can do it great into it is not replacing roles in its finance, legal and customer support functions. So the last year revenues rose sixteen percent into it the head count stayed flat. So you can see why so many hundreds of billions of dollars are being invested in AI. The problem with AI is so much money is going into AI, so much astronomical amounts of money, is it ever going to pay for itself? A lot of insiders are saying, uh huh. Also in these large companies, HR chiefs are saying, you know, it is becoming difficult to even predict how many employees we're going to need because of how quickly technology is taking off, and it goes even more than that. Some employers say, think that fewer employees will actually improve operations. Now, think about that. One you work at a company and X number of dollars are produced or whatever products are produced, they lay off ten percent and more is being done. That's way beyond someone quits, someone gets fired. Hey you over there, are you going to do the work. This is someone quits, someone gets fired, and hey you over there, you're going to do the work. Oh no, no, you're going to get fired too. We're going to fire everybody now. Right now, layoffs have not become widespread, but some companies are making cuts. Just last Thursday, Target said it's cutting about one thousand corporate employees and another eight hundred that are open are no longer going to be open. AI. We don't know which way it's going, and have we figured out yet how AI is going to do our segments. We did it once, and we want to know if it's any better. Yeah, we're still working on that. The person who's helping us out is no longer with us. Oh yeah here, yeah, because AI has replaced the person who was doing that, So now we need AI to replace the person who was working with AI to do that. I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you very much, Thank you very very much. Okay, Now, I don't know if you're a big fan of haunted houses. I am not. I do well. First of all, I don't watch horror movies. Let's start with that, because I can't sleep for three weeks after a horror movie. I'm a real pantyways when it comes to that. Also, I don't go to those haunted houses at the various theme parks and the ones that are put up because they're they're pretty impressive. Now, Neil creates haunted houses, and you did one for you helped the school MAXI School right create times.
Speaker 2: This year I was an ancillary player doing some props and some animatronics and stuff, some video projection things, and but last year I I headed it up with a team and I love doing it.
Speaker 1: I don't think. Let me ask you how to gore per se. Yeah, let me ask you this. You put you put you put an eight year old kid through a haunted house where the monsters come out and Jason comes out and arms that are decapitated, you know, heads are flying around. How does that kid not stay in therapy for the next thirty years? Explain that one to me.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't do those kinds of things. But there's some people that have different responses. The the fear response is similar to like a thrill response of a roller coaster or something like that. And some people really love you know, having their you know, their heart rate jump up. And there was a recently Bill I just saw an a I think it was in some magazine or something, did a breakdown of the scariest movies the scientists actually put you know, did a study to see how people's body reacted to certain movies.
Speaker 1: They just some people love it. Yeah, I can't. I don't understand that I'm scared so much. But in any case, Uh, you can rent the Poltergeist house in Simi Valley. Yeah, came in yep. Uh, And uh it's an airbnb. And there are other homes out there around the country. Some have been around forever, some have just opened up. Uh, as the rentals Airbnb. Uh, Salem, Massachusetts is the fastest rising Halloween destination on this platform platform being do you want to rent? Do you want to go to Airbnb and rent a haunted house? Now, there is one place I'm going to ask you if you know this and I read this because I don't look into this as far as I'm going to go there. Uh, there is one city that remains the undisputed top of the list when it comes to haunted places and haunted houses. Where do you think that would be? Do do do do? Do? Do? Do do doo? Dude, I don't know. Okay, New Orleans? Oh, New Orleans, Yeah, that makes sense. They have so many of these houses on the West coast. Which city do you think this is a fun one on the West coast? Which city has the highest number of haunted hot haunted houses? Haunted hounse anyway, I don't know what that phrase is, but which city do you think is number one on the West coast in terms of haunted homes? I don't know what Cono kono that is correct? Con O no Bernardino, Yep, yep, they do. It's exactly correct. It is a huge Halloween draw. Go figure that one out. It's which I have to look at the one in well, we know the Siami Valley one, but there's one here that I want to look ab at San Bernardino. I'm all over the place. Saint Helen's, Oregon, Fayetteville, Fullerton has one. Fullerton has one. And these are people who Now people go to these things, which I never would because I would be scared to death. It's not so much seeing a ghost or a Pultzergeist or Casper. It's the knocks on the door. It's all of a sudden, the room gets cold and there's a draft going through it. You hear giggling off in the background, and.
Speaker 2: Hearing children would freak me out, or a faint woman's voice. But knocking on a door and getting chilly, come on. I've spent the night in at least two places that are reported to be haunted. The Magic Castle, I spent the night in once during the Tim O'Neil show, I think.
Speaker 1: And then I spent the night.
Speaker 2: In the haunted cabin at the Queen Mary.
Speaker 1: Oh you stayed in that one in.
Speaker 2: That room, yeah, yeah, And there was a the bed looked like someone sat on it, like well, we were talking out of the court of my eye.
Speaker 1: It looked like someone sat on it.
Speaker 2: But I don't believe in in ghosts in that sense.
Speaker 1: I stayed at in the Queen Mary once, not in the haunted house, but in the hotel itself, and I watched play there a couple of times. Yeah, KFI connected to some kind of a magic show there, a weird, weird magic show that went on, and the place already closed down. And going through the halls of the Queen Mary, oh Man, past the rooms by yourself eleven o'clock at night. Boy, that was not a pleasant experience. Oh I love the Queen God, it was horrible. All right, we are done. This is KFI AM six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.