Speaker 1: Six seven hundred WLWRNL carry or Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'mliance pacanlister. Thanks for hanging out tonight, settle in. We've got Bengals conversation early. We'll spray to all fields with various topics to follow. After that, let's talk Bengals packers. Let's talk Joe Flacco. It's what everybody's talking and everybody's writing about, including our next guest. Always a pleasure to hook up with the man from Bengals dot Com. That would be Jeff Hobson. How are you.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, Las, Thanks for having me on at Red Sox for about two and a half bats George, But I think Flaco might have enough joice to get the Bengals through somebody. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think everybody here can relate to being a bat or too short with the Reds lineup as well. Let me go to Joe Flacco. He talked with you guys today. How what's the sense for how he's adjusting to and getting up to speed with all of this.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he's a higher gun. He's a confident guy. You know, as a Bengals villain, I had never talked to him before. So he struck me a little bit more than a you know, a little bit more soft spoken than I thought of thing would be. You know, he kind of has a has he kind of has a high court. He's got a high edge to him. You know, he's got a Jersey guy, Uh, play tough, and yet he's you know, you talk to him in person and he's a he's a a thoughtful guy until he's been around and uh, you know, gave some thoughtful answers today, Jeff.
Speaker 1: As this week has unfolded and you've made your way through that locker room, what's the sense for what this trade means and how it's received by everybody else in that locker room?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it. I think it meant a bunch of things. I think it's sent. The message from management was well received. This division is wide open. Uh. They believe they can you know, they believe they can win it. They think they have the That's how they put this team together, uh with you know, with all in uh, with winning your division and without Joe Burrow or not. And I think they feel like they've got enough talent out there, uh that if they can get a facilitator, get the get the thing into the uh into the hands of their playmakers. You know they've got a shot. And I you know, talking to veterans like Orlando Brown and and and guys who have been around, you know, to get a veteran like this in mid season, it does give you a spark. Guy talking to a guy like Jordan Battle, a young defender who actually intercepted Flack on opening day, he said, you know he's he's you know, we've got too Joe Cools. He says, they're both ice. So, uh you know, I think Battle kind of get a center of him across the line of scrimmage. And if I do think it's given them, uh, you know, the message has been sent and I think they like the message. And uh so I think they've got a h you know, they've got all the all the potentially had a spark there in.
Speaker 1: Flackof Jeff in a a world. What can he do for this offense? What might it look like if it's working.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a great question, Uh Lance I I I you know, that's what we're gonna find out. I guess uh Uh, I gotta believe it's gonna be uh you know, it's probably gonna be Uh, it's it's not gonna be as simple as we think it is. But I'm sure it's not gonna be intricate. But uh, you know they've been up all hours here so uh, you know they've en up. Uh so they're concocting something. And I think it's you just make you make him comfortable, you know, you make him comfortable in the pocket, and you know you give him you know, he can find these guys. He's got the ability to find these guys. He's played eighteen years in the league. He's a super Bowl MVP. He just he's just two years shy of uh doing this for Cleveland and become and comeback Player of the Year. So you know, and I think the thing, the thing is if you give him time, those guys are gonna get open. You know. That's what he said today. You know, I've been asking all week, what do you do about timing? You know, these guys make these unbelievable plays on Sunday that they've been together for weeks and months, you know. But Flacco was pretty matter of fact. He said, those two guys talking about Jamat Chason T. Higgins day the best in the world of what they do. If you can't get on the same page or throw it to them, you're in trouble, which I thought was a pretty good answer. Kind of reminded me of Joe mccathy and Ted Williams. Jill mccathy said, if I can't Jill mccatthey said, if I can't get along with a four hundred hitter, that's my fault.
Speaker 1: Jeff hops at jacking in Bengals dot Com talking about Sunday's matchup against the Packers, you mentioned Orlando Brown. You have an excellent Q and A with him on Bengals dot Com and explain the connection for those aren't aware. He's got a connection to Joe Flacco. Back to what when he was twelve years old, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He was Jill Flacco's ball boy. He was the Ravens ball boy in Ravens training camp. You know his dad, the late Great Orlando Brown senior, uh played was was a staple for the Ravens and he retired by the time Flaco was a rookie, but Orlando hung around working there. So not only did he work with not only was he Flacco's ball boy, but Flaco was his quarterback. Eight years later, when he made his first three NFL starts because the raven the hometown Ravens draft in Orlando in the third round. So you know, but like Orlando said, he hasn't had time, you know, hasn't had time to go down memory lane. You know, they're just trying to. They're just trying to, you know, they're trying to get on the same page when it goes as you know, as far as protection whereas Flacco is going to be in the pocket, and you know they're talking about bad stuff, not not balloons in candies.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's uh, let's talk about this defense which seems to be turning in a positive direction of progress being made incrementally. And one guy TJ. Slaton who goes home this weekend, obviously against the Packers, he showed against the Lions. Jeff has to be the kind of the impact they were looking for when they signed him to begin with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, that's exactly right. He's a he's he's he's a space eater. You know, got to stop and run. And that's exactly what they did. I mean, that's what got lost in Sunday's game really was. You know, that's a very good punishing running attack to Detroit. Heabs, you know, and they and they, and they went three point sixty eys on thirty three carries. So it wasn't like, you know, a small sample size. They stopped a very good running game and you know, Slayton ran a pretty stout group there. You know, the linebackers filled the rings pretty well too. But you know, uh, you know they're gonna, uh, it's going to be the same type of game up in Green Bay. The Packers rely on that run game a lot like the Lions do. Josh Jacobs is one of the best backs in the league, and uh, you know, they don't want to put Jordan Love and certain you know in third and long. You know, if he gets bounced around out back there, you know he he he has trouble finding his footing, so early downs a key. DJ Slayton Chris Jenkins Junior is really having a hell of a year. You know. Uh, he's he's coming into his own and uh, you know, I think that Clayton is really I think the last couple of games, I think he's had a bit he's kind of had to readjust to Jerry Montgomery, but I think he's kind of had some fits and starts, but he seems to be uh he seems to be getting into a groove right now and just in time to go back to the team to play the team that drafted him.
Speaker 1: Obviously difficult times for when Jake Browning, you've been around him during this ride and roller coaster? What what's your sense of how he's handled this week?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think you could ask for anything better. You know, Jake's a stand up guy. He was in front of his locker, you know, Wednesday, and Joe Flockow was on the other side of him. You know, a lot of guys. I mean, I've been around when you know, guys would run into the training room or maybe you know, and I wouldn't, wouldn't, wouldn't meet the press. He met the press, took every question, and I think, listen, if there's one guy who knows that he's got to be ready, it's Jake Browning. I mean, you know, uh so I think, uh, you know, he he showed exactly that. You know, he said, uh, you know, he's not going to be moping around like a competitor. He said he was mad, but uh, you know, I think he knows, uh, you know, this team needs and he's the backup quarterback. What do they say, right, he's a high feet away.
Speaker 1: Last question, I want to go back to the offensive line. With the injury status, how might the offensive line look from the guard position? On Sunday?
Speaker 2: Fair Child came back today the rookie left gud doing fair Child miss uh missed the first two days of practice with a knee with a knee issue. He's listed as questionable. UH if he can't go. Oh, they at least have one veteran in reserve and Dalton Riisinger. And I don't know if Lucas Patrick is ready to go. He remembering he just came off into reserve this week when he went full the last two days he's listened as questionable. Not sure what his status would be. So, you know, I think they're just trying to h they've got some options there. I think they do. Like what you know. Fair Child has kind of had a rough end to his game on Sunday when he gave up the safety. But I you know the fact that he came out of the medical tent and uh played you know, and played for as long as he did. I just think he's really been a guy that I think they think they believe. In the next several years they can hang a hang a hat on.
Speaker 1: It has been too long. I appreciate you making time tonight. Good catching up in safe travels to Green Bay this weekend.
Speaker 2: Same here, Lance, appreciate it. In five minutes, I'll be posting a story about how this is really up in ramboll Field. It's kind of like a like a backyard barbecue. A lot of a lot of connections. Everybody knows everybody. I love it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to read it. Thank you, sir, all right, you as well. There you go, Jeff Hopson, how good is that? Talk a little Bengals football out of their shoot. Let's keep talking little Bengals football we come back. You're gonna hear a little bit of Joe Flacco and I'm gonna tell you and I I've never listened to Joe Flacco speaking at any length of time. Uh, I'm gonna give you. And he spoke for if it's fifteen minutes, I've condensed into about two and a half or so. But it's the stuff about life and being this age and still playing football, in the impact of the trade on him and family, and in what the last three weeks have been like you'll hear that as we continue. Sarnail Carrier Sports Talk Presentedboy Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WW